Speaker 1: For him to be at the top of the list production wise, even after missing a chunk of his junior years, is really darn impressive. Didn't even do a lot his freshman year, so you know, he had two kind of monster seasons from a production standpoint. Again, it may not be one had that one superpower, may not be truly special in any one way. But I think as far as weaknesses goes, he may have the fewest questions among the top four or five receivers. So if you told me he was gonna end up being a late first round pick and would not shock me at all. Maybe twenties to forties overall, I think is where he's gonna go, and slot could be possible outside part time, very very quarterback friendly receiver, I would say.
Speaker 2: This is the Leravie Lapeye Podcast, a production of iHeartRadio Podcasts with host Swayn Lerevie, the voice of the Green Bay Packers, and Matt Lapey, the voice of Wisconsin Badgers football and men's basketball. The Laravila Pay podcast is presented by youw Credit Union. Here for every U.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, I'm Wayne Laravy and I'm Matt Lapey. On this episode of the Lara Vila Pay Podcast. The NFL Draft is upon us a little over a week and we take this podcast just a well little more than a week from the start of the NFL Draft, a week from Thursday night in Green Bay. Our guest is Eric at Home of NFL Network. Also a historic day at the Masters on Sunday, Rory McElroy finally completed the career Grand Slam, something there was more than a decade in the making. Stay tuned, We've got good stuff coming up on the Lara Vila Pay Podcast. Ready to give fees the stiff arm. UW Credit Union can help because since nineteen thirty one they've been committed to eliminating fees for members joined today at UWCU dot org, ensured by NCUA terms and conditions apply. You were listening to the Larvie and the Pay podcast and we welcome into the podcast, Eric at Home, Draft Analyst of the NFL Network. Eric's been covering the NFL for more than a couple of decades, first a Pro Football Weekly, where I became acquainted with him, and then Sporting News and Yahoo Sports. Born and raised, I didn't realize you were from Boston, Massachusetts. Eric here, you don't have that deep New England accent anymore. You did it to me, I'll break it out if.
Speaker 4: I have to.
Speaker 1: You know, I know it's not my natural voice, as you'll come to figure out. Yeah, my folks are Midwest people. I've settled here, so maybe that's where it comes from. Uh for sure, gotcha.
Speaker 3: You know I've mentioned we cooked up Pro Football Weekly. Mad You'll recall we used to do a program called hob Archistra and I. We would anchor this thing each week during the football season, sure called Pro Football Weekly on the air, and it was syndicated all across the country. And Eric was a major contributor, being on the Pro Football Weekly staff at a segment we called the Way We Hear It, And you know, you did a lot of that, and what was interesting, Eric one time we were at one point, this had to be back maybe the late eighties, and the Packers radio network was being run by WTMJ at the time, and they used Pro Football Weekly on the air as part of the Packers pregame show. Hostle This went on for like a season, maybe two seasons, and then somebody, this is long before social media and everything, somebody let the bosses at WTMJ know that Hob and I are broadcasting the Bears and we're on a Packers pre kape. What's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure I didn't go over too well.
Speaker 3: That didn't go over very well.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 3: Oh my, hey, tell us about what you're doing now and how you got to Pro NFL Network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, A couple of years ago I got offered the job to sort of be there one of their draft analysts, and I've kind of split my time up Wayne during the season. Yes, I do pay attention to the college prospects and college football in general, but I also do the power rankings for NFL dot Com, and so it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of a fifty to fifty split.
Speaker 1: I guess I spend about half the year doing kind of NFL stuff, if you will, and then the other half, maybe you know, December through May, focused on drafts. So it's good it kind of splits my year and half. I have something to kind of look forward to at the end of the season, and I enjoy kind of dividing my time like that, and it's it's been a fun few years.
Speaker 5: I'm just scrolling through your your latest mock draft from I don't know if that was from a week.
Speaker 4: We could go a couple of weeks maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really general question though, how would you describe the talent this year coming into the draft? There's always an Avian flowed on matter. Yeah, or where would you place this year's class?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really interesting class. I mean, I every year has its own fingerprint, its own DNA, right, And I think we, you know, try our best to kind of look at it on a micro level, but you have to look at it on a macro two and kind of draw back a little bit. And I think the biggest takeaway, big picture, there's some really strong positions. I would say defensive line and I would include edge rusher's A and interior guys in that discussion. Is really strong running backs. This could be a terrific year for the backfield, and we've seen obviously a little bit of a resurgence in the run.
Speaker 4: Game in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Tight end is an unusually strong group. I think there's going to be four or five of these guys who end up being, you know, in the discussion for the top ten tight ends, if you will, at the league at some point. It's just kind of a slower developing position. But outside of those positions, and it's not to besmirch the entire class or anything, there's just a lack of blue chip talent, I think, And it's it's a little wild to be saying that the year where we have a true two way player in Travis Hunter, one of them were on you usual draft prospects in recent memory. Abdul Carter could end up being a you know, a Micah Parsons level type of rusher. You know, we could have a quarterback go number one in cam Ward. But even with those things, I would say that this year's top twelve fifteen picks or so maybe don't stack up dollar for dollar the way they would against a typical year. Now, there may be more depth in certain spots, and I think Day two will be pretty productive, especially those positions I mentioned, But big picture, it's not one of those classes that's just teaming with blue chip type talent.
Speaker 4: I would say at the top.
Speaker 3: You know, when quarterbacks always are the lead story in an NFL draft. You mentioned cam Ward is going to be probably the number one pick from all educations. Tennessee will take him number one. But the most polarizing figure in this draft is Shadura Sanders, the quarterback out of Colorado Dion Sun. Some people have him going number two right away to what Cleveland, and others have him dropping all the way maybe to Pittsburgh at twenty one or so in the draft. Where do you see this prospect?
Speaker 1: I would love to find out what people's neutral takes would be on Sanders if his last name was Jones or Thompson or or Williams or whatever. I mean, the point being, obviously, I think there is a little bit of bias, and in some cases a negative bias, because he is Deon Sanderson. I don't look at it necessarily that way. First of all, I mean, you know, you have a championship DNA in your blood. That's probably a positive. The funny thing is, though Sanders to me, doesn't have Dad's DNA. When it comes to a rare generational athletic talent, I think he's from a physical tool standpoint, pretty average. I mean that's really you know, you look at his arm strength, it's fine, it's doable. You look at his athleticism, I would say it's okay. He can buy time. I mean he can convert first downs and kind of an opportunistic runner, but you know, he's not blessed with these amazing gifts in a lot of ways. And yet when you really watch his tape, accuracy, toughness, I think, smarts. You know, he's kind of felt out the game a little bit and and learned what he can and can't do. I think he's a really good rhythm passer for the most part. But how far will that take him? I mean, that's really the big question is is there a high ceiling on him? I don't think so. I wouldn't say, you know, taking too many sacks, kind of recognizing blitzes and things like that have been a little bit thorny for him. I wish he threw with a little more anticipation, even though he is a pretty accurate thrower for the most part. But yeah, I mean I would say he grades out like a second round pick if we're being honest with ourselves. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be successful. It just he lacks those kind of Caleb Williams, Drake May, Jaden Daniels type of tools that typically go in that top five range.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: I mean, I you know, I think there are about four or five teams that make a lot of sense for Shaud Ear and for me, going in the top five just doesn't feel all that likely. Keep an eye on the Sands style. I mean, now all of a sudden, this Derek Carr stuff, maybe he's in play at number nine. So you never know. With quarterbacks, they are always bumped up the charts pretty high because of the positional value.
Speaker 5: It seems like Eric, depending on the platform or the week that we're looking at it, Shador Sanders, Jackson Dark there are some who seem to think that he could be the number two quarterback. Yeah, where do you see his ceiling? Is it a higher one than shaudor Sanders?
Speaker 4: I would say so.
Speaker 1: Now that doesn't mean that that his floor isn't necessarily lower or there isn't you know, plenty of work to be done. I mean, obviously, I would say the last three years is starting at USC kind of helped, you know, reinvigorate the five star prospect that was, you know, once considered one of the two were three best quarterbacks in his high school class, you know, won the job at USC transfer. But I would say it really wasn't until probably his second year with Lane Kiffin at Old missed that things really started to develop with him. But you know, he's a smart kid. He won the academic heisman he got I think he was getting three eights in the in the classroom. He's a good athlete. He's a little bit better built, thicker build than guy like Sanders, a little taller, a little more built to withstand some some damage over the long term. Athletically, maybe just a little bit better, I would say, throws with nice touch and can maybe have a little bit more juice in his arm. But you know, there's there's still a lot of suspicion with him in some circles where how much did Lane Kiffin's brilliant offense kind of make this a one read quarterback in a lot of ways, and how many of those verse reads were open? There was a lot of it. So when you're really drilling down the number of plays that you can truly evaluate and say, okay, here's where I see special, you know, even on seventy yard touchdown passes may not be that often. So there's a little bit of projection with him. I think he's had a little bit of an injury history more in the past, but.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't totally stun.
Speaker 1: Me if you if you saw a team pull the trigger on Dark before Sanders, I could also see him being the third quarterback. I think all three guys will probably end up going somewhere in the top forty, So you know, if not round one, then the first handful of picks of round two. And I would even say keep an eye on Jalen Milroe. You know, he's sort of the wild card. He's been reportedly invited to Green Bay for the draft, and that kind of tells you that the NFL maybe a little higher on him than some people like me are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Melroe ran a great forty at his pro day. I believe just at four or four or just under for a forty yard dash quarterback. That's that as eye opening. And oh yeah, something that got have noticed these quarterbacks. To kind of wrap up this part of it, any of these guys go in the top six if they were in last year's draft in the time, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were to stack them up against you know, Williams, Daniels, May and then kind of the second trio of Pennix, McCarthy and Nix, I think we'd be debating them more on the second trio, you know, in that group than we would the first not to say that Cam Word doesn't have an intriguing skill set. He's probably you know, more athletically and more our talent wise blessed than the other guys are. There's still some stuff that has to be cleaned up in his game. But other than Ward, I can't see anybody even really being in the discussion. I would put them again more in that if they were in last year's class. Let's say, if everybody was loved together, they'd be more in that quarterback five six seven debate than they would be try to push into that top three.
Speaker 5: We went off of that position. A couple of minutes ago. You mentioned Travis Hunter, who it sounds like he is oud of it about being introduced as a two way player, a dB and a wide receiver made for both of you guys. How realistic is that? Could he do that in the NFL? Or he's going to have to be ninety eight percent one side of the ball and the other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, boy, it's such a great debate.
Speaker 1: I mean, Dion has done a few interviews now where he's saying, you know, like college is all about tempo and all this stuff. The NFL, there's more breaks and things, and there's more time between plays for rest, and you know, like in theory, it should be easier in the NFL. I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. I understand is thinking. I understand the rationale, but you're also going up against superior athletes and it just doesn't know, feel like it's reasonable to ask a player to play one hundred plus snaps per game. I mean, really, you know, a short game, we're playing sixty snaps on each side of the ball, plus another, you know something on special teams. So boy, playing two thirds of an NFL game, you know, or three quarters of an NFL game without break feels like a lot to me. And what's fascinating to me too is also the debate amongst evaluators over which position should sort of be his primary one. Every team's going to have a different plan. We'll play them at receiver, then we'll use them at corner, and you know, if third downs, red zone, blah blah blah, fourth quarter or whatever.
Speaker 4: The opposite is also true. Some teams say it's.
Speaker 1: Harder to find that number one corner. Let's make him that and then let's give him a package of plays on offense, you know, fifteen eighteen, twenty plays, whatever it may be. So everybody has a different view of it. I will say that what I took away from the pro day with Hunter running routes, catching passes but not doing the dB drills, it was clear that, you know, to me, it felt like he was saying, I'd love to do both, but if I can only do one, I want to make sure I catch passes. So take that for what it's worth. That's my impression of it, and I'll be curious to see what what the NFL thinks. He's probably going to be the second pick to the to the Browns, and I think their biggest need is on offense. But you know, well, we'll see where he ends up. It's gonna be a fascinating debate. He's also one hundred and eighty five pounds. I mean that that that matters.
Speaker 5: You know. That's kind of light on Wisconsin off fees, get feed, free, checking options and more at uw Credit Union, Join at UWCU dot org. Terms and conditions apply ensured by ncu A. Speaking of over to our receivers, I've noticed in the mock draft It's going to catch the attention of every Packer fan, yeah, or Eddie Packer observer, because you you project them as potentially breaking a trend and drafting one in the first round, the kid out of Texas, Matthew gold and tell us about him because he runs really well, right, a sub four three forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I realize what projecting a receiver in round one to the Packers does for people around there. It either irritates the really excites them, right because of the long drought. But this is such an interesting year receiver. I don't think it has the depth. We've been so blessed with receiver greatness the last I would say ten years or so in the draft, and maybe eight of those ten years we had banner classes at the position, either in terms of depth or high end talent or a mixture of both. This year I'm not quite there. I mean, we have a couple of first round prospects and then a couple of borderline guys. I would say Ted McMillan from Arizona. I know that, you know, Brian Gudokun was out there for his workout. Other people were as well, and then Matthew Golden from Texas and you know, Golden's required a little bit of a you know, I think people have come around on him in the sense that he didn't start the years the longhorns number one receiver. He didn't really you know, he was a deep threat at Houston before he got there, but still didn't really kind of solidify himself as a go to target. And I would say until the second half of last season. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be great. You run a four two nine and you catch the ball with as much consistency as he does, and I think you're starting in a really good place. So not the biggest guy, he would also probably buck some trends from a size standpoint. I know Jayden Reid obviously wasn't exactly that either. But you know, the closest thing if you're worried about Christian Watson's health long term or his development, whatever you want to say that this is probably the closest thing in this draft to that. I understand. The lack of length is going to have people say, well, he's not the same player. He's not, but he can stretch the field. He really doesn't play small. I think that's one of the best things about him. And the other cool thing is that I fail able to feel like he's a hidden gem because Texas didn't really exploit that speed as much as they probably could have quarterback issues, you know, offensive design whatever, you know. When they did throw it to him deep, he usually caught it and made a big play, but they didn't do it very often. I think an NFL team will, we'll try to use that more often than Texas did.
Speaker 3: Eric, Just to get back to what you were saying, you know, on Travis Hutter. The thing about I would worry about in playing two ways in the NFL is the preparation during this Oh yeah, I mean you don't have enough hours to prepare as a wide receiver and as a cornerback. But you know, can you do a little bit of both. Yeah, you could probably settle on one position and then be a guy they bring in on occasion on offense. The other factor the teams that I'm hearing is that, well, if you're going to pick him that high in the draft, you want him to affect the game the ball in his hands, Where is that going to happen more. It's going to happen more on offense where you can actually throw him the ball rather than relying on him to make an interception or something like that. On defense. The other thing on these receivers, Matthew Golden, Yes, the rare speed four two nine in the forties. What he ran, he's a little bit undersize. The Packers like their receivers a little taller. Golden's around what five ten five eleven, right around five to eleven. But Ted McMillan, Ted de Roa McMillan, the kid out of Arizona, Goudokuns was the only general manager at his private workout. This is a guy six y four in an eighth. Not the speed that the Christian Watson brings or that Matt Golden brings, but again, very productive and tall receiver, and he has enough speed, I mean four four eight that's not bad. But he's six' four two. Nineteen that's AN Nfc north outdoors.
Speaker 1: Receiver, yeah absolutely that from a body type, standpoint he absolutely fits more of what The packers have sought under this regime and even under prior ones for that. Matter but, YEAH i mean we're talking about a guy who you, know looks like a volleyball player out, there and so the comparisons To Drake, London who's who's carved out a nice little careers for at few years In, ATLANTA i think are pretty. APT i think that's a pretty good comp for him in terms of what you're. Expecting fifty to fifty balls go up and get. It really has nice, extension great body, control good along the. Sidelines you, know you can go back and watch some pretty good tape against him the prior season Against Travis hunter and got the best of them a couple of. TIMES i was impressive. STUFF i, mean he's at that. Size you don't need to.
Speaker 4: Be a low four fours or high four three.
Speaker 1: Guy if you, are if You're Calvin, johnson god bless, you you're a. Unicorn but for his, SIZE i, Mean Mike evans has made a career out of running four fives and four six's and then pretty well for. Himself so he absolutely fits what they're looking. For does he get there to The packers? Pick that's the. Question when does the first receiver go off the. Board some people think it may not be until you know the twentieth or so. Pick some people Think dallas at twelve could be a team to. Watch so you, know we'll see what THE nfl actually thinks of these wide receivers and especially the top two guys in terms of where they first go off the.
Speaker 3: Board, MAN i wanted to ask you because you've seen. Him mecca AT buka is a guy, That, YEAH i don't know how you feel about, This, eric but he kind of gets lost in the pantheon of all the great Receivers Ohio state has had in the last four or five. Years but he has the best. NUMBERS i, MEAN i think he's the all time leading receiver In. Columbus some people say he's a slot. GUY i don't. Know what did you see when you saw him this past? Fall?
Speaker 5: Man you know what this? Was the wis contented Play Ohio state this. Year they played him in twenty three and he missed a good chunk at twenty three he was banged. Up but for the college, level they've had an embarrassment of riches at wide, receiver but A mecca Of. BUGA i mean at the college, LEVEL i thought it was just. Terrific what do you have eighty eighty one catches last year better than a thousand. Yards it seems like he can Do And i'll Get eric's thoughts on, this and seems like he can do a little bit of just about everything absolutely Be does he have all the? MEASURABLES i guess that's for those guys to figure. Out but you like. Him it sounds Like.
Speaker 4: Eric, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: DO i, think just a real rock solid wide. RECEIVER i, MEAN i think he's destined to be somebody's terrific number. TWO i don't know that he'll ever be a true alpha in an. OFFENSE i, MEAN i don't know that he has that you, know that rare burst or juice or. ANYTHING i, mean his size is very, good very acceptable BY nfl, standards but not somebody who is blowing by people or making these sort of outrageous. Catches BUT i you, know he's great in the red. Zone he's been very effective in that part of the. Field seems extremely smart and savvy in terms of his route running and setting defenders, up and you can, see you, know it's fun to watch a game. Against you, know by the fourth, quarter it feels like he's got everybody figured out and he's he's sort of got the game mapped. Out whether he gets the ball or, not that depends on the. Quarterback but you, know to think about all the great Receivers O lave And Marvin harrison, junior and the list goes. ON i, mean for him to be at the top of the list production, wise even after missing a chunk of his junior years is really darn. Impressive didn't even do a lot his freshman, year so you, know he had two kind of monster seasons from a production. Standpoint, again it may not be one had that one, superpower may not be truly special in any one, way BUT i think as far as weaknesses, goes he may have the fewest questions among the top four or five. Receivers so if you told me he was gonna end up being a late first round, pick it would not shock me at. All maybe twenties to forties, OVERALL i think is where he's going to, go and slot could be possible outside part, time very very quarterback friendly.
Speaker 4: RECEIVER i would.
Speaker 5: Say it seems like too from the Way i've heard it over the course of, time is that their position coach, There Brian, hargline has really really carved out a heck of a. REPUTATION i, mean they have this there's a lot of skill that goes into that building down, there but they develop them really well at least that's WHAT i. Hear, eric do you hear About, yeah same.
Speaker 4: Thing Absolutely hardline's got a terrific.
Speaker 1: Reputation one of the few position COACHES i follow On, TWITTER i racks or whatever call it these. Days but, YEAH i mean he's you, know he was a guy who made it on precision and hard, work AND i mean he wasn't blessed when he was a player with all that, Skill SO i mean he really kind of mastered all the fine points of playing wide receiver inside, out did whatever had or do to get on the. Field AND i think he's imbuing that honest players now and it's great to. SEE i think he'll probably be a head coach on the college level at some.
Speaker 3: Point we're running out of time With eric at. HOME Nfl Network draft analyst tight ends a couple Of it's supposed to be a great year for tight. Ends Tyler warren could go in the first. Round Colston Loveland warren will. Go Colston, loveland the tight end out Of, michigan probably goes in the first. Round Mason, taylor son Of Jason, taylor The hall Of fame defensive end of The, dolphins is another prospect that could go as high as round, two maybe brown. Three good year for tight, ends isn't. IT i.
Speaker 1: Agree you, know you had some breakout guys Like Elijah royal From miami had a terrific season with Cam Ward, taylor as you, mentioned you KNOW nfl blood, Lines hall Of fame, bloodlines you know is. Stepdad Zach thomas also got some pretty good people in his. Circle but you know we're talking about a kid who's not even twenty one years. Old that's the beautiful. Thing another the age factor also. Helps Harold fanning From Bowling green.
Speaker 4: Is a guy who could go in the middle.
Speaker 1: Rounds he's another sub twenty one year, old and the analytics people love the age AND i think they love the athleticism of this. Group warren is more of your grong style physical tight, end but he can also. Run that's you, know as good a template as we've seen in a. While, LOVELAND i, think is a, smoother, quicker better receiver. Overall maybe not in the blocking, department but once he's got the shoulder rehab, done which should be sometime around training, camp you know you're gonna see somebody who all you got to do is Watch michigan. Quarterbacks last, year and for him to catch as many passes as he did and twice as many as anybody else on the field or on the, TEAM i should say it shows that even when he's the focus of, attention he can. SEPARATE i Love Taylor Terrence ferguson From. OREGON i think is a really undersold athlete to really undersold play a very steady production in the last several. Years Rode gatson remember. Him his dad was a receiver for The. DOLPHINS i JUST i like there's enough blockers later in the. Draft there's some good depth that at this position THAT i don't think we've.
Speaker 4: Seen we could end up.
Speaker 1: Having you, know seventeen or twenty, drafted which is a pretty good, crop and there's a wide variety of different play.
Speaker 5: Styles, Well i've had a question you mentioned it looks like the running back is starting to return to at least probably it'll never be what it once was in terms of, PROMINENCE i, guess but it looks like it's trending that. Way you really Like Ashton. Genty it may he may not be waiting very long to hear his name, called.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem like.
Speaker 1: IT i you, know the first spot THAT i think he could go off the board. REALISTICALLY i mean maybe there's a trade up or. Something you don't see trade ups for running backs in the top five or six, picks But vegas at number six feels like the first spot where he really could go off the board And pete carroll run game makes. Sense some people Think genty is like this Generation's Ladenian. Tomlinson Now i'm not quite. There and IF i were grading him And Bjon, robinson who came out and went number eight a couple of years, AGO i honestly THINK i probably would have had a slightly higher grade On. ROBINSON i just think he has just a little bit more, size a little bit MORE i shouldn't say receiving, ability because last year they didn't throw him the ball as. Much genty was really good catching the football in twenty twenty. Three it's just that he had, a you, know a generational year of running the football last. Season so terrific, contact, balanced great yards after, contact kind of a little bowling ball out, there with outstanding, vision lateral, quickness create activity as a, runner everything you. Want because he have that pull away. Gear probably, not but when does that really come into play for running? BACKS i don't think very, often so you, know he took on a lot as a pass blocker. Too that's the one thing THAT i you, know he's still got to clean some of it, up but they asked him to do. It they kept him on the, field you, know seventy snaps a, game and he did a pretty target job of. It so somewhere in that that six to twelve, RANGE i think is where he ends up going off the.
Speaker 3: Board offensive, line we've generally seen better prospects on the interior than the outside of the offensive. Line the tackles maybe not a strong class this. Year we haven't even talked, Defense, eric AND i know you've got a head, out but really, quick give us some nuggets on defense that you've seen of. GUYS i mean to have Duel carter and some of these other guys who be able to make an impression and maybe go high in the first round of this.
Speaker 1: Draft, YEAH i Mean, carter you, know at one point he thought could be the number one. Pick you, know maybe he ends up going third, now but still potentially destructive defensive, talent some fascinating pass rush talents Like Jalen walker From georgia's more of a linebacker build similar to guys Like James pierce and a few. Others but you, know you have some three four end types in this. Class you have some true down hand in the dirt four to three ends like The Ohio state. Guys you have some in betweeners and that's. Okay you, know tweeners aren't a bad. Dan it's not a, SLUR i, promise but a lot of, versatility AND i think we're gonna end up getting somewhere around twenty edge type players in the first one hundred hundred and ten.
Speaker 4: Selections that's a.
Speaker 1: LOT i, mean that really is defensive line interior. Guys maybe not quite as, stout but really it is a very solid group. THERE i think linebacker and safety are probably your weakest positions in this draft, defensively but. Corner there are some really interesting talents. Safety we could see a couple go off in the first round and maybe a couple more early In day. Two so respectable at the, top but just maybe lacking a little bit in depth. OVERALL i would still say that even with the running back talent and the wide receiver excuse, me the tight end, talent my favorite position in this draft is probably And i'm, cheating, maybe but lumping the edge rushers and d lineman together because a lot of those guys can do multiple things and kind of move up and down the line different. Techniques that's probably my favorite position in this. Draft from From Abdul carter all the way down To Sybyon, jones my number one hundred player overall in my top one hundred, list and even beyond, THAT i think there's.
Speaker 3: Talent eric can't thank you, enough appreciate.
Speaker 1: It thanks for all, right enjoyed the. Draft Hope Green bay is a great. House and hope you guys hope it's a wide. RECEIVER i don't. KNOW i Hope Green bay fans are.
Speaker 5: Happy, Well, WAITE i did something On sunday THAT i rarely.
Speaker 4: DO i.
Speaker 5: Know you are a golf. Officionado you're you, know a single digit. Handicap once you get back into the. Rhythm you, know for, me a good day is when it's under one. Hundred BUT i watched the final round of The, masters AND i have to admit the theater was just. Outstanding you, Know i'm bouncing back and forth watching The brewers. Dive it backs a little, bit but it just the scenery Of augusta and the sheer, drama and what was what caught me was the. DIFFERENCE i thought it was going to Be rory And bryson and it, wasn't As De shamba faded and McElroy had the roller coaster final. Round but that's about as good as it, gets no matter if you're a And i'm a very casual fan of. Golf but that's about as good as it, gets no matter of the, sport isn't.
Speaker 3: It it is no question about, it just the you, know the stakes that. Were you, know Here's rory. McElroy he's won three the three other majors over a decade, ago hasn't won a major in almost what ten eleven years and this is his eleventh try At augusta to get that final major in to become one of only six players who have won in their careers each of the major golf, tournaments The, MASTER'S Us, open The, open or The British open as we In america call. It they call it The open In, europe and then THE, pga the least of the. Four but, anyway he had won the three and The, masters he just couldn't quite get over the. Hump and it was tremendous. Theater so you Had rory McElroy and golf is. Suffering, Matt you're not the only one not watching golf on a regular. Basis you check into a golf, tournament, folks even if you're a, golfer and on any given week you might be able to get one or two names off the leader board that you actually are familiar, with maybe one or two the guys who drive the. NEEDLE i, Mean Tiger woods is, gone, okay you, Know rory McElroy is one of those. Guys Steven Yottie scheffler can win one hundred tournaments and he's, never for whatever, reason going to move the. Dial But rory. Can bryson De shambo is one of those guys who. Can't and here they are a top the leaderboard going Into sunday At. Augusta and it was great, theater and and the other thing about it WAS cbs was doing the. Tournament AND i THINK cbs is probably the most solid golf coverage and has been for many decades in. Television And jim nance is and you AND I i think both admire him in terms of our. BUSINESS i, think more than anything, else the thing That nance does is and we've seen a departure from this on television in recent. Years people want it seems like producers want guys screaming on television the way you would have to scream to describe something on, radio and it just doesn't. Work nance is the epitome of frame the, picture frame the picture we see, it give us something around that picture to put a frame on what we just. Saw and that's what he does better than. Anyone golf is far and away his best sport in my. Opinion he's a good play by play announcer and other, sports basketball and, football but he's a great eighteenth tower announcer the way he puts things into. Perspective and how about the end of that tournament When rory McElroy finally Won. MADDEN i think in some one of our colleagues at the flagship station for The packers ninety seven to three of the, Game Steve zabin apparently timed the layout That nance had at the end of that tournament When rory finally sunk the pot of the seventy third hole and he made his exclamation and then there was like seven minutes of just you saw, pictures you heard the. Crowd you Saw rory on his. Knees it was, Riveting it really.
Speaker 5: Was, yeah EVEN i posted a lot of times the best announcing can be when we say, Nothing and obviously that applies for television radio you lay out a little, bit but it's a different. Platform for, television those saying nothing can be the best. Thing AND i, thought AND i agree with. YOU i Think Jim nantz was born to cal. Golf he played it collegiately At, houston and he just he's born to do. That and he can tell the story of the, players and not that others, can't because they can't if it's Like jerico ON nbc and all those years prior TO, espn so on and so, forth but their their camera. WORK i just thought the production of it was so. Good you Never I've i've never been To, augusta but those who, have they talk about the, terrain and you, know television can only do it so much. Justice BUT i think as the technology continues to get better and, Better i'm sitting on my couch and then you get a feel for how how difficult the course, is how challenging that the course, is and, uh, yeah the fact that That i've always thought in No matter or the sport on television sometimes most of the, time less is. MORE i always think Of Vin scully In Great World series, moments you, Know Kirk, gibson the walk off against The Oakland a's where he said nothing after called up the whole run it's gone and just they Track gibson circle on the. Bases AND i, thought yesterday Or sunday With roy, McElroy it Didn't you didn't even need to give the, caption you just lay out for as long as they had timed. IT i just thought it Was it was brilliant by saying, nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah no question about, it and you, know, yeah the journey And rory's a likable. Guy i've never met. HIM i don't know what he's like in real. LIFE i assume he's what he appears to. Be he seems like a really genuine. Person you could tell by the way he handles interviews and things like. That he seemed to be really, genuine you, know so people were really pulling for. Him but then There's bryson To. Shambo and if you're you, know of the younger, generation you're probably Into bryce of The. SHAMBO i, mean here's this guy who five years ago pumped himself up like a like a nose tackle one technique or. Whatever somebody was asking me about two technique earlier. Today what the hell is a two? Technique i've heard of one technique as your nose, tackle three techniques outside of the right shoulder of the, guards and then you go from there two. Techniques who the hell isn't you? Know come? On but, anyway he's a one technique and he's hitting the ball over these, lakes Not Bond's, lakes to the other side of the fairway and cutting. Off but you, know so he was this bigger than life character and then he went to live golf and he slimmed down and he's you, know these one, major's he's won two of. Them and so he is a guy who can kind of move the. Needle and, again AS i, mentioned nothing Against Scotty, scheffler but for whatever, reason he's a, great great player in the number one of the. World but he does not move the needle the way these other guys, do the Way Tiger woods did back in the go back of the day To Jack. Nicholason but that masters was. Riveting and the, thing you, know here's an interesting. Thing if you're a golfer And i'm a bad, golfer you said Single, NO i will never be a single digit player. Again but the thing what can we take, Away, well the internet is going to be showing you all these swing doctors are gonna be. On, Well rory does, this and you can do this again an extra fifty yards Of, no you. Can't, okay first, off no you. Can't you cannot duplicate his. Swing he's five to. Eight he was made to hit the golf ball three hundred and seventy. Yards. Okay god made him that. Way god didn't make you or me that. Way, okay, Fine but what you can take is something that happens to all of, us no matter our skill, level on the golf, course and that is. Poise and that is, toughness mental, toughness not physical. TOUGHNESS i watched that whole, Tournament. Matt what amazed me about that tournament was This rory comes in AND i, Thought who's gonna win The?
Speaker 4: Masters?
Speaker 3: What because he's in? Form golf is a game of. Form are you in? Form are you playing well going? In and that doesn't mean you're gonna play, well but it gives you a much better. Chance he had won, twice he'd won the players his last time, OUT i believe it. Was so now he goes To, augusta and you know he's playing, well and he comes out On. Thursday he's four under parr going to what FOURTEEN i want to, say or sixty and he doubles two of the last like four, holes and all of a, sudden he's even par going in around, two and you're, figuring, oh, man if that were, me or that were anyone, else or ninety nine percent of the golfers pro or, otherwise they'd be trashed. Mentally and he's been working with the golf, Doctor Bob, rotella and he's written many books about Golf Is not A game Of perfect being one of them that was A New York times. Bestseller it'll probably be again this. Week but he's been working with that. Guy and so the next day he comes, out you sixty, six and the following day he takes the lead the. Tournament and now you're going into the final. Round he's got a two shot, lead and you you, fit, well this guy's it's gonna be a cake. Walk and he comes OUT i think he doubled the first, hole he loses the lead to one, Hole bryson To shamba takes, it takes the lead with a birdie on hold number, two and all of a sudden you look At rory and you, say this is. Melting this guy's got to be. Melting and then three holes later he's back in the. Lead then he's got a four shot. Lead then he loses all of, that and then Justin rose down the stretch Past amen, corner he's got the lead and you're, saying what In god's name is going? On and where Is? Rory and here he gets back in, there he gets the thing. Tied he's got a putt to win on the seventy second. Hole this is all set. UP i, mean if this Is, hollywood that putt is in the heart of the cup and he misses the. Putt he hit it too, soft it pulled a little bit to the. Left now you got a, playoff you. Know i'm Sure bryson De shamba say this is. GREAT i got a shot to win The. Masters And, rory if You're, rory you'll probably, say you MEAN i blew it and one of oh my, god you, know and here he goes out and what does he. Do he hits a three hundred and seventy five yard drive on, eighteen he hits whatever it, was nine, iron eight iron to within four feet and makes the. PUTT i, mean just unbelievable mental toughness that you don't see even on that. Level that is, rare even on that level of.
Speaker 5: Golf NO i. HEARD i Heard Scott Van pelt on another program describing that. Too if you look at that that his Uh rory's card On, sunday if you just looked at the, card it probably wouldn't, think, oh this guy just won The, masters because he had some of the best shots and some of the worst, shots maybe of his, career all in one, route maybe the back nine of the final. Round but that's that's what added to the. Drama AND i think Two, wayne you talk about guys who moved the. NEEDLE i think you know casual viewers or those of maybe who are past casual and are more in tune to to. Golf you have you choose your good, guy and you choose your bad. Guy you, Know bryce and the shamba is probably will polarizing you some and there are others who love. THEM i love watching him because he's going to explode on the golf, ball, Right he's, Going he's going to hit it nine. Miles but there's you, know you got some personalities. There and you can say the same thing about. Tennis you could say the same thing about teams in you, know THE, nfl THE. Nba there are teams that you just you want to see him. Loose AND i, think you, know if golf hads this, again you know somebody that you can knock. Off you, know some king of the hill you can knock off the hill that goes a long. Way no one questions the. Talent there's unbelievable, talent but those, guys you, Know i've talked with more people the last few. Days you have some who were rooting like crazy For rory and others who just wanted to see a dumpster. Fire and for a while it looked like they were going to get. It but to your, Point i'm the kind of guy who would yank a two foot putt when there's five dollars in the, backs you. Know trying to put myself in there with the you, know millions watching and the, GALLERY i just can't.
Speaker 3: Relate, yeah and you, Know, matt it's amazing because at every country. Club at every club there is somebody who can go out and shoot sixty eight and just you, know absolutely look. Flawless but the difference between them and the guys who make THE pga tour are can you go out and shoot sixty eight On? Thursday and what do you come back with the next? Day are you shooting seventy, eight are you shooting seventy, five or are you shooting sixty? Six and that's what those guys. Do and you know they have their ups and downs. Too their swings are just our swings are like way out. Here it's both five hundred feet. Difference there's a maybe within twelve, inches but they have their ups and downs and how they handle it is is. Huge the, PERSONALITIES i. Think you, know we are looking for sports as. Entertainment golf is no. Different we Had tiger And phil remember about twenty years, ago.
Speaker 4: And that was great.
Speaker 3: Theater they tee it up at every major and you were, Watching you were watching and hoping they both contend and they'd both be going at, it and you, thought, well they don't like each. Other and some people Like phil and some people Like tiger and et, cetera et, cetera and, so but you were there to. Watch we don't have those rivalries right, now and maybe this was one of. Them maybe this is what we're going to see going. Forward but you, KNOW i just think. It it was great. Theater it had everything you. Wanted i'm sure the rating is going to be really, good But i'll be honest with, you golf is hurting the ratings week to. Week you tune on The volerro text is open and you'll get a leader board and, say.
Speaker 4: Who are these?
Speaker 3: Guys do their parents even know who they? Are they probably don't know where they, are you, know because that's pro golf. Today and why is? That, well because you have hundreds of guys any given a week can win a pro golf. Tournament why because the talent is that good and that. Deep but that doesn't make for riveting. Viewership that doesn't that doesn't move the. Needle and so's it was. INTERESTING i think a rare moment for. GOLF A cbs handled it really, well AND i can only imagine in the. Truck i'll bet you, THIS i would if we Had jim nance. On you, KNOW i know that if the Late Frank cherkinnian was running that. Show the, producer the great golf. Producer he would have been the first thing he would have yelled At Jim nantz was shut, up just be. Quiet you. KNOW i bet you no one had to do that Yesterday sunday At. AUGUSTA i bet You jim nance handled that whole thing. Himself he understands the moment and what's going on and the whole, thing and just as does a brilliant, job as good as it. Gets you're exactly right About Mike. Tarikole and by the, way he was doing radio On The Master's sunday and did a tremendous. Job his call was obviously had to be a little more. Wordy you're talking about radio. Here it's a different, medium as you. Said but those are two of the best of the business at, golf they really. Are and you, Know tarico's as good as it gets at the eighteenth hole with anybody. Else Dan hicks is another one AT Nbc. SPORTS i don't GET nbc because all, right they haven't Replaced Johnny. Miller Johnny miller was worth listening to why because he would say something that was like he would say what you were, Thinking, yeah there's not much of this PUTT i always say that when somebody asked me a putt out of the degree we're. Playing my buddy asked, me what do you think of this? Putt, said, yeah Like johnny would, say not much of this. Putt but Then johnny's not making the, putt is? He But johnny was always you, know he'd always rip, somebody so you're always looking for. That and so they get rid of him and they point to bring In. Paul he's. Here it does a nice, job but apparently he's got some, issues and they get rid of him and they hire a GUY i don't even know. Who They kissner or something like. That he sounds exactly Like, zinger exactly LIKE. Keivi And i'm sitting in, WELL nbc has just lost and they are BUT cbs does a great job with. Golf it always has and they are the foremost network now and in that. Business but just great stuff for. Golf, yeah it, was, no it.
Speaker 5: Was i'll it be interesting to watch now moving forward to the other, majors you.
Speaker 4: Know will this have?
Speaker 5: Legs will people tune? In you, know they want to see these guys have at it again On? Sunday but that that's what this past weekend was it was Terrific. Sunday that was as much AS i would have preferred to be outside doing, Stuff i've got to watch, this And i'm GLAD i did because it. Was it was terrific theater and it was very very well ON.
Speaker 3: Cbs, yeah it really. Was you, know the last point on, this the two personalities couldn't be. Different after the, TOURNAMENT i, guess you. Know first, Off bryce and he leaves the eighteenth green On. Saturday he's just sunk a big. Putt he's now right, there he's like two shot off the, lead and he's going. Up there's this kind of column that they go to to the clubhouse to turn in their scorecard and sign it off and, everything and just people all. Around And i've been To, augustin so it's a corridor of. People Here's bryce and the shamba and he's waving high fives and and EVERY i mean touching ba people and handing the ball to a kid and all this Other you just love. It you're soaking. It and he's riding high and and he's the man of the people and all this other. Stuff and then there's an interview With rory McElroy And amanda down The onus asked, him you, know how will you approach tomorrow and, said, Well i'm going to get into my own cocoon and everything. Else and and a couple of minutes, later she's Interviewing bryce To shamba And bryce's she, asked do you take energy from the? Crowd? Oh absolutely. This they couldn't be two more different. Personalities so after the round On, sunday after the tournament's over and And bryson kind of imploded and no question about, it had a tough, round but you, know somebody asked, him, well how Was, RORY i, mean how was it playing with?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Oh he didn't say anything to, Me and it's kind of, like, well you should have said. Something but it's kind of like that made sense to me Because rory, Said i'm just gonna get into my own little cocoon and stay. There i'm going to block out all this other noise that's going on around me and try to stay in the. Moment and that's what he was doing out, there And bryson's a totally different, personality didn't quite buy off on.
Speaker 5: That and that's why it, Works LIKE i personally couldn't care less if those two talk to each. Other but if it helps build, drama if it brings, us if it puts us in front of the television set the next, time you know their their neck and, Neck, yeah let's tune. In look at the fact that their personalities are different makes it appealing in personality and play, style all of. That so, yeah if hopefully as we move forward this spring and, summer they'll they'll be matched up, again AND i hope so we'll take it down to the wire BECAUSE i THINK i think people will tune.
Speaker 4: In.
Speaker 3: Now that'll do. It, yeah no question about. It that takes care of this week for us on the podcast special thanks To eric At home OF Nfl. Network our engineer producer Is dave. McCann executive Producer Jeff. Tyler For, matt this Is. Wayne thank you very much for listening to the Lerovil pay.
Speaker 2: Podcast The Laravie La pay podcast is a production Of iHeartRadio podcasts with HOSTS Wayn laravy And Matt, lapey with production engineering By dave. McCann The Lerovie La pay podcast is presented BY Uw Credit. Union here for every you listen. To other episodes available on The iHeartRadio, App apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite, podcasts