Speaker 1: It's a nice Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I really enjoyed the last hour. I hope you did as well. His name is Robert Charles. The book is Cherish America. I want to thank Kristin, Nancy, and Joe who checked in. I'm sorry that we were kind of rushed at the end, but Joe raised is a good point, and that is whether or not any book that is published should be available for people who are cannot read, who are blind. And I think that's that can only help the number of books that are available to people. And I think I thank Kristin for going to the library and asking for the book, and I think Nancy who said she had already ordered a book from Amazon. So I want to take this hour and very seriously consider how lucky we all are to live in America. Now. I know, I know that there will be some people who accuse me of flag waving. Well that's their problem, not mine. Okay, this is not a perfect country. Every election hasn't worked out perfectly. From my point of view, that's not the point. The point is that we are fortunate enough to live in a country which allows the freedoms that Franklin Roosevelt talked about that we enjoy in this program every night, one of which is freedom of speech. Again, I try to give everybody an opportunity to say whatever they want to say within reason. I mean, I don't want to have you come on and use my show to slander other people. If you want to argue with me over something, I don't have a problem with that at all. I just would like you to kind of keep it within some relative discourse, decent discourse. But when I think about, how does this guy and I don't even want to mention his name to be really honest with you, But just like I don't want to mention the names of the Boston bombers, how does this guy wake up and decide, at the age of forty two, after he has been in the US military, who's born in this country? Obviously had a name that misled people to think that he might have been born elsewhere, but born in this country. He was. He was as American as you are or as I am. But he made it. He took the decision he's going to ride a truck down Bourbon Street on New Year's Eve or New Year's Morning and just slaughter people. What gave him the right to do that. How does your mind get so messed up that you even contemplate that. Now, I know that he had had some tough breaks in his life. I guess divorced two or three times. A lot of people have been divorced two or three times. A lot of people have been through worse than a divorce. People have survived through the deaths of close relatives, you know people. I think of the parents in Newtown, Connecticut who lost twenty toddlers or children first graders on that horrific day, and yet they didn't take to what this guy did. So I just say that this is a moment we need to sit back and realize how darn lucky we are to have been born in this country. Whatever our politics, whatever our religion, whatever our gender, whatever our sexual proclivity. Okay, whether we're Red Sox or Yankee fans. But I just think that that we need to do more to protect the country. I talked about it last night. I'll be happy to talk about it again. But my first hope is that some of you will rise to the occasion and uh enjoin me in saying that that we have to cherish this country, because if this country were ever to go down the drain? Where is where do we go? People from around the world have come here legally. Of course, some have come here illegally as well. I want I prefer people to come legally because they lived in dictatorships, they lived underpressive, oppressive regimes. If we ever lost this country and the principles of this country, where do we go? That's why we need to cherish America. So I'm going to open up the phone lines six seven, four ten thirty, six one seven, nine thirty. We have seen some horrific events in the last few weeks, the murder of the healthcare executive in New York City. If we ever devolve into into a country where people are just shot at because somehow you feel that you got screwed by a healthcare company, Okay, there were ways in which you can turn this country around. Okay, that's the beauties of the country. You have elections, you have venues like this, you have the opportunities newspapers to do what you can other countries you can't. And just to think that that there are people in this country who are somehow identifying with the murderer in New York, I guess that there's probably people are identifying with the killer from Bourbon Street. But if we get to that point, if we ever get to that point and we lose this country, we will never get it back. It's as simple as that. Okay, I'm going to go to phones. Let me go to Gary and Wooburn Gary. I have no idea what you're going to say. I never do. But welcome to nightside and happy New Year, my friend.
Speaker 3: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 4: Obviously what you said was very poetic and so forth. And me, let's face it, what's going on in the United States happens in our foreign countries all the time. What can we do well? Obviously we have to be very careful when we go outside, you know, and talking about women with their children and so forth. What I'm trying to eat and get at is going on at nighttime, Dan, I'm sixty one years of age, and let me tell you, going on at nighttime is very dangerous. It's just it's just that's where a lot of people it's so doc out and you can be victimized so easily. And I always worry about women who even have their children in a car and being abducted. What's the good called car what's it called car jackey car jackets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that's well. Let me just let me say this, Let me try to turn this around on you if I can't. Okay, we have the freedom in this country, uh, to move around anytime we want. There's a lot of countries in the world that say, oh no, there's a curfew. You have to be in your home from seven o'clock at night until six o'clock in the morning. Uh. There are countries where freedom to travel doesn't exist, freedom to move around, So I need we need to cherish that freedom. At the same time, we need to be vigilant out there. You're right, when you're out at dark at night, it's you're more susceptible perhaps to some form of an assault and attack. But at the same time, hopefully, hopefully, if people see something like that going on, there will be enough people who rise to the occasion and interrupt that that sort of crime. Do you know what I'm trying to get at. I'm trying to look at the glasses being half full is supposed to be a half empty.
Speaker 5: Gary, Well, I'm.
Speaker 4: Trying to stay on subject matter with you because after all, I can dress. But one thing that really bothers me. I work a second shift, the third shift type of job all the time, and I work oddball hours. And one thing I notice is this. I know everything comes down the money in electric bills, that whether it's a market basker or all these stores, especially at nighttime when it hits the fall and winter in neighborhoods. Light up these neighborhoods, and you know these stores the parking lots like a Christmas tree. I know it costs a lot of money for the electric grid, and the people are paying the bills, the owners and of course the city and states. But do you agree with me light it up like a Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is, I think that businesses that want people to come to do their stores and spend money, whether it's a grocery store or it's a big box store, they have an obligation to provide a greater light to make people feel more comfortable. That's what you're saying, right right, Okay. I would suggest that that if a company was smart and they were going to be open after dark, and most companies are, it's in their interest to make sure that that parking lot is lit up like a Christmas tree because it will draw more customers. So I don't know why any store, you know, major company again, whether it's a big box store or a grocery store, wouldn't be smart enough to light up that parking lot and make sure that there were no dark spots in that parking lot where people could come shop and be comfortable. So I'm agreeing with you, but I also think we're not gonna be able to pass a lot to make it that way. We need to vote with our feet. And if you're not comfortable going to a home depot or a supermarket after darkness because the parking lot is not lit up, then find a better short to go to if you have to shop at that hour of the night.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to throw this at you, Dan. Can I name a certain place in North end of the Massachusetts that's an apartment complex? Can I name it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But please be careful, hopefully you're not going to disparage it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Well, it's called the Royal Crust Apartments and it's been around for like over forty years or more. All kinds of people live there and they pay range wise of two thousand to as much as twenty seven hundred and fifty dollars for rent. A buddy of mine had a pizza joint about ten years ago, and I made a quick delivery for them to help him out. The place is so dark, it's like doc parking lot all the time. These people are came heavy, heavy rents, and these men and women who are single, they're gonna walk to their promise in the darkness whatever time they get home. It's such a disgrace. I can't stand people being victimized, and so far I am dead set against it. What do you think of what I just said?
Speaker 2: I who would support people being victimized? But again, I think it's up to those folks to go to their landlord, you know, and express themselves. That's that's again, I understand the concerns you are. I'm looking probably to get a little more positive. So you've had an opportunity to express those concerns. If you live in a situation that you're uncomfortable, you you have every right to call the local police department and say I think that that this parking lot needs to be lit up better because it's gonna uh, it's it's gonna diminish the potential for crime. I mean people have to take it upon themselves, Gary to to pick up the phone or or you know, file a complaint. I mean, you just can't sit around and say I want that home people to be to be lit up more.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe they have complain and nobody does nothing about it.
Speaker 2: But thanks very much to the call. Is always happy new Year. Okay, thank you much. Got to take a break. Please get me back on track. Folk coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I hope I've been clear in what I'd like to hear you talk about, and that is, what is it about this country that you cherish? And if there's nothing that you cherish about this country, you don't have to call. But let's let's get positive here, because if we don't keep this country together, we will lose this country. We have an obligation to pass this country on to our descendants, to our kids, into our grandkids, into our grand children. Let me go to Bill and Lexington. Bill next on night Side, don't disappoint me. Bill, tell me what you cherish about America.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Bill didn't happen to. Yeah, I cherish. What I cherish about America is people die trying to get here every day. Is it the America I grew up in? It is not. I think the last time we felt united was nine to eleven, and I think since then we've been torn apart. But it is still the greatest country on earth, and we we have a lot to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that. Look, it is not a perfect country. There's no perfect country in the world. World. But I'll tell you no. But when we somehow can produce nutjobs like this guy that mowed down dozens of people and killed fourteen people on Bourbon Street, how do you get to that point in this country? You know, if you lived in the if you know, if you lived in North Korea and and you just felt that there was nothing you could do, and all of a sudden you decided that you wanted to, you know, take out you know, some military people or generals or whatever, but you'd taken out innocent people who who you don't even know. They said that this guy had some postings on the Internet that he was committed to ISIS and he wanted to kill his family members, but he didn't think that that was really make the point, so he decided to kill just every day Americans. What a fire nutjob.
Speaker 6: I heard that afternoon and I was horrified. I have no idea, Dan, it's you know, people don't in this country.
Speaker 2: If people really get to the point where they don't like this country to the point that this guy was, let's you just leave, man. Well it wouldn't have been just nicer if you together. I said, I am now Isis. I'm going to go and I'm going to join up with my colleagues in Isis in Syria. Have the guts to follow what you believe.
Speaker 6: Go explore Antarctica by yourself. Yeah, that's enough as well, you know, you know what I mean, like go for go for to go Explora, you know, and see what happens. I'm gonna take out innocent people that this is our country. We should be able to celebrate a New Year's Eve without anything like that going on. It's disgusting. All around the world, you don't see this type of stuff as much.
Speaker 2: Well, you're sorry. At the German market, the Christmas market in Germany a few weeks ago, and maybe that's what gave this guy the idea. I just look at these people, the people who we have in this country. And again, I think we talked last night, if if this was World War two and we found and we had the Internet, and there were people going to websites, uh that were Nazi websites which were teaching them how they could destroy America from within, those people be put in jail. And I think we got to go to the point now we have to say, if you're going to be hanging out on an ISIS website, if you're gonna be hanging out at a hate website, a ku Klux Klan website or some sort of a website like that, we're gonna go and we're gonna have a visit with you. We're gonna find out, and we're gonna we got to stop. We got to be a little proactive in this country.
Speaker 6: Respect. I couldn't agree anymore that.
Speaker 2: That's constitutional rights. But we've gotten to the point where now we're now I think we have we have gone too far to an extreme bill. Thanks for getting us back on track. I appreciate it much, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 6: Always a pleasure. Happy New Year, Happy new year.
Speaker 2: Right back at you. Let me go to Glenn Glenn and Brighton Glenn. Yeah, you cherish America.
Speaker 7: I'm sure you do well. I hate to sound like a Trump informa shoe, but I cherished this most recent election.
Speaker 2: We cherish the election. But how about this. You can cherish the result. You cherish the result. I cherish the fact that we have an election.
Speaker 7: Isn't that true? Yes, we need we need Bill. It's not bullets. No, I just cherished the I mean, I just cherished that we're about to have a president that has a problem with illegal sleeping in hotels while home with veterans who served just sleeping in cardboard boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You and I agree on that politically, man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but but but I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking at the bigger picture, and the bigger picture is you know, Joe Biden got elected. You and I were not fans of Joe Biden's presidency. He was my president for four years, and I think he did a dismal job, and I'm not sad to see him leave. Okay, It's as simple as I hope Donald Trump can have a better presidency than he did the first time around. I hope he can keep his emotions under control, and I hope he can hire people who are both competent and loyal.
Speaker 7: I know the appointments. I agree with you. We need to hope he has a better appointments this time so far in his corner. But you know we have to wait and see waited four years.
Speaker 2: Yep, we'll starting again. He's he really has about two years in which he's going to be able to do something, and if he fails miserably in two years, he's going to pave the way for a Democrat to retake the White House in twenty eight. So you know again, I know that you're a big Trump guy. I want to give him every chance. He would be my president as of January twentieth, and the crazy liberals who are going to say he's not my president, guess what he is, just like Joe Biden's been my president for the.
Speaker 6: Last four years.
Speaker 7: That's right. I always say, go along for the ride if you don't like the election. I remember I was not a Reagan guy, but that he was my president.
Speaker 2: I was guy I was before Reagan was president. Trust me on that. Okay, I wish, yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I was. I was not a carter person either. I didn't like the long gassoline my dad.
Speaker 2: But I voted for Jimmy Carter and uh. And we're going to talk about Jimmy Carter at some point in the next few days. We tried to do it last night, but events overtook us. Uh, And I'm gonna I had the opportunity to meet Jimmy Carter before he was president, while he was president, and after he was president, and every time I felt I was dealing with somebody who was a gentleman. Oh yeah, I think he was victim of his circumstances.
Speaker 7: Oh no, I think he was a great former president. I mean the humanitarian stuff he did after that's easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He was. But I also think that he was a victim of circumstances that he became president at a time in which this country needed a revival and he didn't provide it right.
Speaker 7: It was fall off from Watergate.
Speaker 2: Fallout from Watergate, fall off from Vietnam, and we had to go through some ten times then to say once fought and get back to morning.
Speaker 7: You know, I just think I voted. I voted to Jane McCarthy. But you know, whatever, I.
Speaker 2: Was, well, not in seventy six, maybe in the primary, but not in the final election.
Speaker 7: Well, no, he was an independent. He ran as an independent, and he was on the bell as a third party candidate.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy six. I forgot that, to be honest with you, so I always learned something when I talk with you, my friend. Appreciate it very much.
Speaker 7: All right, that might be a scary thing, but.
Speaker 6: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Glenn, appreciate you call. Okay, happy to you, buddy. Oh yeah, take a quick break here. Coming back on nights, I had only one line open, six one, seven thirty. What do you cherish about America? So far people have had a little tough time articulating what they cherish about America. I cherish literally everything about America because there's never been a country in the world like this country. It tolerates more lifestyles, it tolerates more points of view than any country in the world has ever contemplated. It's a great country. But at the same time, I think that we now have reached the point with ISIS and supporters of ISIS that they are terrorists and we need now but we might we need to defend America internally because there is a real danger in what is going on in some quarters of America and I think that isis is an example the far right and the far left. They need to be more closely monitored because they would take the country out if they had the opportunity. I got full lines, which is a good thing. Back on Nightside, right after.
Speaker 1: This Night's Side with Dan Ray, I'm WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Where do you cherish about America? Let's go back and going to go to will in Long Island. Hey, we're welcome. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Happy new Year, Happy new Year, Dan. I cherish our individual civil liberties. I cherish our constitution. I cherish our history, our founding fathers. You know, those who willingly give up essential freedoms in exchange for a perceived sense of security ultimately deserve neither freedom nor security. Benjamin Franklin, Okay, I believe in our First and Second Amendment. I believe in I believe in our freedoms that men fought and died for, and I wish that our politics would return to that. I'm old enough to remember when Tiper O'Neill and Ronald Reagan were friends, and one time Ronald Reagan said to tiper O'Neil, why do you say these horrible things? About me, and he goes, it's just politics, and then they would eat lunch.
Speaker 2: So let me ask nobody U want to. I got to ask you a question. Okay, here's my question. I am now an advocate for cracking down, cracking down on the dark web, and particularly the ISIS sits on the dark Web, which apparently a radicalizing people. I think I wanted to equate. I'm equating ISIS sites and the racist sites that might exist, the ku klux claim type sites, assuming they exist with kitty porn. And just as we need to monitor these kitty porn sites and find out who's going and who's spending time looking at kitty porn on the dark web, I think we have to figure out who's hanging out at ISO sites because there are fourteen Americans tonight who are dead who should be allowed.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, that obviously directly relates to Benjamin Franklin's bull right there. I believe that right, and I believe that you have every right to monitor these sites, and I have every I believe that you have every right, and our investigative branches of the United States government and state governments and local officials and all the people that are involved in law enforcement have every right to investigate and infiltrate and find out if the legal activities are going on, but to arrest people, then we'd be going back to the McCarthy times.
Speaker 6: Oh you look, Just to be clear, I know you're not.
Speaker 2: Just to be clear. And and if if, let us say, hypothetically, fly you decided, well, I'm going to spend some time looking at kitty porn. Okay, Now you know, maybe you haven't committed a crime, because maybe there's no statue of the books that says looking at kitty porn is a crime per se. Now, if you try to engage in kitty porn, that's a different story, okay.
Speaker 3: Or distribute it or down.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough. But if all of a sudden the FBI knocks at your door and said, well what are you doing hanging on in these kitty porn sites? That might send a message which would be enough for you to say who this is? Not somewhere I really want to be same way with isis?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: Here's how I look at this. We see because here's the real issue. These people are visiting these sites mostly as adults and then going out and committing these crimes on their own volition, not because they read something. The bottom line is, years ago, many years ago, people in this country have decided that there is a way to gain power, political power by teaching people that America was founded by evil, racist and became the power that it is on ill gotten gains. And there is a political group in this country that is growing and has been growing for decades by denouncing America and hating America, and this festering in our colleges and our schools, and now it's getting down way down to even earlier programs. So if you're teaching people that our history is awful and despicable and racist and evil, and America is evil, then they grow up believing that, and then that's why they're going to look at these places. So I agree with you to investigate these sites and these people. I also agree that the people that are making these types of speeches and gaining political power by hating America, maybe they don't need to be investigated by our government, but they certainly need to be denounced and checked by us.
Speaker 1: We the people.
Speaker 3: We don't need the government to do everything for us. We need to do it ourselves. Were familiar, buddy, I love America. You know that, and I'm hoping that you know, I'm in my late forties. I'm hoping that I can see this country turn around for my kids, your grandkids, and everybody else that comes after us.
Speaker 2: We said, we said thanks, well, appreciate it. Happy New Year. And next up, let's go to Christine in Dedham. Hi, Christine, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 9: I cherished his country. The veterans have made our freedom free. And I feel like, like you said, we need to stop these doc websites and just we need to start respecting America again. And how we will always come together in times of bed like nine to eleven and the Boston's Marathon bombing is how we always came together and help each other. We just need to stay together and Terrish, our country. We've got to enclothes aboard us and that is enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I think that we have a right as a country. And again I'm I'm trying to keep this as non political as I can, but I think we have a right to monitor our borders and to make sure that people who are coming into the country come in through legitimate access points and we know who they are and we know why they're coming here, and they would have to come here for a reason. Now they cannot come to America under the law currently for simply economic reasons. Meaning if somebody lives in a country where, let us say, the political regime is so oppressive that they're in fear of their life or in fear of their freedom, or and fear of their liberty, that is a way in which we have allowed people to come here. But if someone comes here and says, hey, I'd like to make more money and depth, that's not a reason to come to the country. So we need to be clearer for everybody to understand how access to America. I'm not saying we shut the borders. I mean in the sense that nobody gets in, But I think that we have to do it in a way in which legally we understand who's coming in, why they're coming in, and what they have to offer. That's all, you know, Keep it so people understand it, Christine, is what I think. There's there's a lot of confusion now as amongst amongst people, and they don't know what the purpose of a border is. If we don't there are people who tell you we shouldn't have a border you know, a country without borders is no longer a country. I think. I think I've lost Christine here. Okay, thanks Christine, appreciate your call. Let me get one more in here before the break. Let's go next to Jamie in Worcester. Jamie next on Nightside. What do you cherish about America? Jamie?
Speaker 5: Hey, I Dan, can you hear me here?
Speaker 2: Are you fine? Go right ahead?
Speaker 5: All right, I'm on speak a phone and I just wanted it's easier to talk to you that way.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: I cherish the believe it or not. I cherished the decision making of our country because you know, the people of this country every every election I've been through, I'm I'm fifty two years old, but I don't know. Every time, in the end, the people make the right choice, you know, they they weigh the decisions a night. At times, I'm worried because of the slander both sides of the of the side of the campaign, you know, go into it and telling this and that, and then you hear all this news and it's like, oh man, you know, people are going to make the wrong choice. But in the end they can't for the country, and they make the right choice. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know that we've always made the right choice. I think that at critical times we made the right choice. I think Franklin Roosevelt was the right choice at the time of depression. He certainly was the right choice of World War Two. I think Dwight eisen I think Harry Truman was historically a great president. I think not someone who people expected a lot from. Eisenhower was a was a great leader. Kennedy was a great leader. I think that that that Nixon so loved and desired the office that at the end of the day, he was not the right choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with all that.
Speaker 2: But I think I think there have been time time in this country for conservative Republicans and time in this country for more you know, liberal Democrats. But I think we've always tried to stay within some you know boundaries. I mean that Ronald Reagan, George Bush, George Bush, they all I think were fine. President Obama I disagreed a lot of what he did, but I think he handled himself. There were things I wish he had done better, but I thought he had himself well. So yeah, maybe maybe you're right. Maybe I don't know that we had a great choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Because I'm just saying that when I watch elections from my you know, side of the paytation of politics. When I was in my early twenties to now in my fifties, when I remember the Reagan days and the Obama days and the Clinton days, it was just issues, and now it's all slander. Like you know, you don't know who to believe and who not to believe, and so it gets really like muddy and you get worried about who is you know, are people going to fall for this false lie or that false lie on both sides? And it's just so that that was my worry. And I'm not saying I'm going to go on one Caidid or the other. I'm just saying for the betterment of the country, it was a tough decision for people to make, and based on the whole situation, this is one of the most difficult political elections I had to vote on.
Speaker 2: You know, who'd you vote for? Who'd you finally vote for?
Speaker 5: If I could ask, I did do Trump because because I just I had to. I just you know, I know my brother, he's a big Democrat.
Speaker 2: And all I can say to you is this I hope that your confidence in him works out for the country. I mean, I wanted to succeed, just like I wanted Joe Biden succeed. I don't think Joe Biden was a very successful president. Uh and I agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You know, I didn't make my decision on politics. I was just trying to listen to the betterment of the country and and it was a tough decision. But I was like, I don't know what you know, I said, he I know he has his moments, and you know we all know that. But I'm like, you got what do you do? I said, the guy he's a businessman. He knows what to do.
Speaker 2: Well. Again, as I said, I want I don't want to relitigate the campaign. At some point in the next time.
Speaker 6: I.
Speaker 5: Want to go, I don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Call me back over time and tell me if you're happy with how it goes once he becomes president. I hope he's successful, just as I hope Joe Biden would be successful.
Speaker 5: I exactly me say the same way with me because I worked for Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: So okay, well that's a good that's a good reason why your brother should have stuck with him, Jamie, I'm at my break. I gotta let you run. Appreciate you call very much.
Speaker 5: I know I just called it. I've called you before, but I don't know if you're remember me.
Speaker 2: But do me a favorite. Call more often, and of course I'm gonna remember you. Okay, call it. I appreciate you call.
Speaker 5: Thanks much every night when I got out of work. So thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I think you'll be an interesting You've been interesting weather Vane. Meaning if six months from now you feel comfortable about Trump, then he will be probably doing a good job. If you're not comfortable about it, he probably won't be doing a good job. So keep it.
Speaker 5: Please give you I'll definitely get him my information.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Thanks, Jimmy, have a great night. Good night. Coming back on Night's Side right after the break. Here we got four calls. We'll get them all in only line open six, one, seven, two, four, ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to get everybody in, so we got to tighten it up. Alex and Millis. Alex next on Nightside, grow right ahead, what do you cherish about America?
Speaker 10: I cherish that it's a resilient country. So no matter what happens, uh, all these extremes we've encountered, things seem to get back to normal, so to speak. And it is still the greatest country in the world because I came from I came from, you know, Greece, and that's a lovely country too, But this is the only country where it will let you practice what you want. You know, our health care system it's not the best, it's not the worst, and it's not the best, but it's still better in most places, you.
Speaker 7: Know in the world.
Speaker 2: Well said, Well, we'll say.
Speaker 10: But there's a lot of nice things. You can say a lot about America, but I think that we're resilient.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're right, and I think you said it well, and I appreciate you taking the time, Alex, I really do, thank you, sir. Great night, Good night, Let's keep rolling. You're going to go to joe In, joe Inn in Waltham, joe In next on nightside. What do you cherish about America?
Speaker 7: Joe In?
Speaker 11: They did Happy New Year to you and everyone.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, I had my doubts, but the election restored my faith in American people half of them. Anyways, it's it's a wonderful country. It is the best country. And I agreed with everything Will said, and you said, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I just think that that that what my concern is. I don't particularly care whether we have a Democratic or Republican president. You know, again, we tend to swing back and forth to go through this with you many times.
Speaker 11: But if you but was a failure, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was very He's a huge disappointment. American hambered particularly well. But he's he will soon be gone. Uh. And you know he here heard his party tremendously.
Speaker 11: So I'm just praying Trump will do well.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the point. I mean, I hope he does. And if he does well, we'll all benefit. If he doesn't do well, he'll be criticized and and not only will he and four years uh as a failure, but then the Republican party will watch there as he turns the country back over to the Democrats. That's the way. That was simple.
Speaker 6: That so good.
Speaker 11: And I tried to call you last night because I had the exact same thing you had.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't want to go into that tonight.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I had the same thing.
Speaker 2: I hope we both recover. I think I'm finally almost out of the woods. When when did you get out of the woods.
Speaker 11: It took me a month to get rid of the cough.
Speaker 2: What did your doctors diagnose it?
Speaker 7: As?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 2: I did know?
Speaker 11: I don't go to the doctor. I'm like, it's the flu or a bad chest cold.
Speaker 2: All right, go to the your brain that I am, Joeanne, trust.
Speaker 11: Me, I guess, and the good wife that I am. I gave it to my husband and he wanted to go to the doctor, and I talked him out of it. They were both fine.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Joanne. I got to run here. I get the boy coming up talking every good here's called you look forward to the next things. Happy New Year. We're going next going to go to Dan and Brookline. Dan, what do you charge about America?
Speaker 8: I think it's pretty clear to me. Uh, it's the Constitution and in particular the Bill of Rights. I think that a lot of what people have said tonight is gets you know, has its origin in that. And all you have to do is look at England, a country, great Britain, a country that I always thought was kind of sort of like our sister country, and in the reality is you've paid attention to what's happening there.
Speaker 6: The lack of a.
Speaker 8: Bill of rights, the lack of of you know, hard coded freedom of speech like we have is just it's out of control there. They're arresting people for saying things. It's just it's crazy, and we'm.
Speaker 2: Arresting people for saying things. But I am now becoming much more in favor of monitoring more closely.
Speaker 6: Some of them with you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, In fact, I've been paying a lot more attention to Twitter the last year and a half and some of the stuff that I read on there is so awful and horrible and uh, and what it does to people. Again, you know, this terrorism that we're that we're seeing, I think a lot of it comes from social media, but we have to be really careful when we talk about censoring it. And so I don't know what the answer is, but I'm with you, we've got some problems.
Speaker 2: I think as we don't censor about I think we have to monitor more carefully and also get to people and almost do an intervention and say what the hell are you doing? And if somebody has a reaction and says, I'll do what I want to do and blah blah blah. Then you got to watch them. You got to watch them, simple as that take the temperature. Thanks Dan, appreciate you calling. All right, New Year, New you two as well. Let me go to Robert and Wellesley. Robert, get time for you and one more go ahead, Robert.
Speaker 12: Good even Jan our chair us religious freedom, our Judeo Christian culture, and our ethical patriotism. I think that something, something really went went wrong. We have a great country, uh, and it's a land of opportunity, but people do get hurt. I think we have to be have an ethical sense about how we deal with other other people. And uh uh something went wrong with that? Was that person in New Orleans that he felt that the only solace he had left and it was to use the remainder of his life to strike out blindly in an act of violence.
Speaker 2: So but but there's a lot of people in that category. He's not the first. Okay, remember we got the Boston bombers. You got the guy, the Halloween guy in in New York a few years ago.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: These you have Major Nadal Hassan, the guy down at uh in Texas, at Fort Hood, Texas. Uh, this is a problem, and we got to deal with it in some form of FasTIS.
Speaker 13: Oh, I agree?
Speaker 12: This certainly isn't a a need for for our government services to function the way this's postal function in order in order to protect us.
Speaker 2: You bet you? Thanks, Robert, appreciate you call very much. Happy New Year. Gonna wrap it up, barn is mixed up, Born and Ashley.
Speaker 13: Go ahead, Warren, Hey, Dan, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Show week? I got about thirty seconds to forty five seconds.
Speaker 13: So so we met around Katrina a couple of times, like three. I'm the guy that brought family stuff from New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Yes, sure, absolutely, yep, I enjoyed me.
Speaker 13: Needs to make a very nice man.
Speaker 2: Uh, thank you. I'm good.
Speaker 13: I'm confused a couple of topics so I have. I was a lifelong Democrat and I became a more a Republican like around two thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, and Warren, I'm running out of town, man, what do you cherish about the country? What do you real? Quickly, Warren, I'm out of time.
Speaker 13: Almost well, let's talk again.
Speaker 2: Fine, thanks for calling call a little early, give you more time, but time runs out on this program at midnight. Thanks Warren, Thank you much, sorry about that, folks, and Warren apologize, but time time runs out on all of us, and it runs out every night here on Nightside. Rob Brooks, thank you very much, Maritas. We'll be here tomorrow at four thirty. I'll be back tomorrow night at eight o five, and of course I'll be on Nightside postgame in a few minutes, actually going to be there at a couple of minutes, real quickly. I'll end us always, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's why Pelle Charlie ray Is, who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's whe all your pets are who past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. Hope, see again on night Side tomorrow night. Have a great Friday, everyone, stay warm, stay warm, and Wins please slow down. Uh see on Facebook. Night's Out with Dan Wayne. Just a moment