Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is six oh five here Kentucky and his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas a couple of big stories we are following from last night yesterday evening into the morning, as we know that Israel has launched strike on Iran and as you heard there in the update, and I'm sure it's probably the biggest story currently going on on the national level, as Israel has strike has hit an Iranian nuclear facility, as fears of these of the war does mount, So we'll keep you updated as best we can throughout Obviously there's a lot of live coverage going on across the country, but that is certainly a big story, as.
Speaker 1: Well as the quick reversal.
Speaker 2: So yesterday there was a ruling that blocked President Trump from deploying the National Guard in California, basically giving the power back to the state level, but an appeals court quickly then blocked that order. So those are the two big stories we've been discussing really throughout the morning thus far. We'll continue to keep you updated on that as best we can. On the local level, Louisville is one of the many, many cities that you can expect there to be protests due to the No Kings. I guess you'd call it an organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I didn't hear that. Yeah so.
Speaker 2: So No King's protests are set for tomorrow. Really across the country. Law enforcement everywhere is preparing for potential problems, as they should.
Speaker 1: But so it's Flag Day.
Speaker 2: Which will be Donald Trump's seventy ninth birthday tomorrow, and there are activists that have planned I think it's about two thousand No Kings protests across all fifty states. And they claim that this is a pushback against Trump because they believe he acts like a king, and they're also against big money power in politics. This was something that President Trump was asked about yesterday and here here were his thoughts on situation. Actually, he does have thoughts in the situation. He was speechless before, which he's often not speechless, but he was.
Speaker 1: He was when it comes to us, I.
Speaker 3: Don't feel like a king.
Speaker 1: I have to go through hell to.
Speaker 4: Get stuff for bro.
Speaker 3: The King would say, I'm not gonna get this. The King would have never had the California mandate to even be talking to him. He wouldn't have to call up Mike Johnson and tune and say, fellas, you got to pull this off and after years we get it done.
Speaker 2: No, no, we're not a king. We're not a king at all. So the I guess the the flagship march for this is is in phil It's gonna be in Philadelphia. There are none scheduled in d C. Where Trump's gonna be hosting a big parade with tanks and jets to celebrate the army's two hundred and fiftieth birthday. But Texas they've already mobilized thousands of Guard troops. But organizers stress the rallies are expected to be non violent, or a least supposed to be non violent, and they urge participants not to bring weapons. I mean, that's that's a no brainer. I wouldn't but you never hurts. I guess the reminder out there and to urge them. But if you go to the website, it is no Kings dot org. They have a map that shows I guess where all of these protests are expected to take place? Here in Kentucky, Andy Basheer did say that State Emergencies, the State Emergency Operations Center, they're going to be active and prepared as best they can, because again they know they know the protests are going to be taking place, and the hope is that they go off smoothly and there's not any issue. But the likelihood of that happening is i'd say not very likely. I think there's likely to be some type of issue. You just hope you can limit it as best you can. And here's Andy Basheer when asked about these planned protests this weekend.
Speaker 5: I want to say that violence, looting, destruction of property is illegal. Those that would engage in it should be prosecuted. But the peaceful protest is legal and as American as America is, and though engage in peaceful protests, ought to be able to do it safely.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like, and it's just me, but I feel like there's a pretty there's a pretty fine line as far as what is what is peaceful what's not.
Speaker 1: But it's all subjective.
Speaker 2: I mean, what may be peaceful to you could be violent to me, vice versa.
Speaker 1: And we'll never get around that, No, you won't.
Speaker 3: And I think the governor said it best and it's kind of what we alluded to when we came on the air. And also, you know, what's what's not appreciated in this is law enforcement at every level has folks working the social media beat and in really and not just on the surface social media, but we're talking like the black the dark web and whatsot and that's where a lot of this information gets passed around where people as we learned in Breonna Taylor.
Speaker 2: Not even with the with the dark web, but more so just I think you'd be foolish not to have somebody who is well equipped to scour the web and all aspects of social media platforms to determine where in fact you might sense that there could be because higher threat of it getting out of hand, you know, and you got it because let's be honest. If somebody's out there wanting to raise awareness to whatever cause and protest, and they're likely going to be using every every ability they have to let everybody know where they are and what they're doing and why they're doing it. And social media gives them the chance to do that. And I think sometimes people tell on themselves and turnover and turnover evidence because of what's captured on social media for where they weren't necessarily going about it in the peaceful way.
Speaker 3: Well, and let's keep all the officers who are going to be on watch. As you mentioned when we came on the show, it's all hands on deck. Nobody's getting a day off on Father's Day. There's a lot of dad's going to be out there in uniform and our female representatives of law enforcement to keep this city where it should be. Yeah, so we don't go back to Breonna Taylor. So thinking about the law enforcement that have to work this weekend as.
Speaker 1: Well, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get another update on at traffic and weather and we'll talk a little more Father's Day coming up on the other side, because there's a there's a list that gives us gifts that fill there's most one on Father's Day and we'll see if you guys agree, if your dad out there are these gifts that you would like. So we'll get to that and a lot more. It's Kentucky. It's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. It is six sixteen here at Kentucky and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas, getting you set for the weekend. Happy Friday, everybody, We made it Friday, best day of the week, hands down, and Father's Day is a good holiday. At least I think I've been a dad for I guess this will be my my ninth Father's Day, really looking forward to it. But there's a survey here that says eighty four percent of dads don't think that Father's Day gets nearly as much love as Mother's Day, and only forty one percent say they get a gift from family on their special holiday. So I wasn't just you know, and I'm not complaining. I think I'm complaining. I'm playing complaining, but you know, Mother's Day is a big day, and moms are great, but it just it doesn't seem as if Father's Day has ever really been quite on that level. And that never changes. I'm totally cool with it. Yeah, But as far as what dads want, it's there's a why, there's a big range here as far as is what dads want and what dads I guess expect some dads will ask for.
Speaker 1: Let's see, let me make let me just give me. Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so forty one percent of dads again, they report receiving a gift from the that they get a gift from their family. But it's funny, let's see. Yeah, so the dreaded let's start with this. Let's start with the bad gifts. Sure, the dreaded presence that dads get that they probably smile and say thank you so much, but they don't really want socks. That's forty nine percent of of those who if you had to in the survey that you were able to pick a dreaded gift, forty nine percent said socks, thirty eight percent said neckties, and then number one dad mugs.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that that is listed.
Speaker 2: I mean, it always takes me back to the sun Feld episode with the World's Greatest Dad, number one Dad, and then they had it out as far as which one actually is superior.
Speaker 1: Than the other.
Speaker 2: But yes, seventeen percent have said on this survey that they just want total control of the TV remote, and fourteen percent say that they would actually like to just have a day for themselves. I've heard even friends of mine who mentioned when asked what I want for Father's Day by my wife via my kids, I just say, can I go play golf? And I just assume that was like a funny way of saying I don't really want to be around you, But it's really, I guess, not a crazy request. And I learned just here recently that a couple of my buddies they legitimately do that, like they don't spend Father's Day right with their with their kids.
Speaker 1: And their wife.
Speaker 2: And I guess there's nothing wrong with that. If that's what they want to do and that's what the family's content with. Then you know this with my kids being so young, and my wife does a great job of guessing me up getting close to Father's Day, I mean, I'm the man, Yeah right, I mean it's been preparing. My son's been asking me if I'm if I'm ready father, it's right, yeah right, He's been asking me, are you ready?
Speaker 1: Dad? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm ready. So she does a good job of it. So for me to then just be like, yeah, see you later, guys, I'm gonna go out and ye you know, go to the sports bar and have a day or go I don't play golf, so I wouldn't do that, but yeah, make it whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Enjoy Father's Day, fellas.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing to remember, Nick, And that's awesome that you said that, because that's great. Your family's doing this for you. Is is we tend to like to gift how we like to receive for some folks. And this because what I was saying about my daughter, she gets every one of us, Like I can tell you the Father's Day presence my daughter got me were just amazing. And for Christmas, I got my Sparky Anderson nineteen eighty four Detroit Tiger's jacket. And I only because I mentioned it like way back when that I loved that jacket he wore in the world series and starters out with the whole new addition now with those Yeah.
Speaker 2: She remembered and then bought the gift, and it's it's the thought, right, yeah, And it wasn't she It's a great Yeah, it's something she knew you would like. So you're right, you're giving me evidence that supports your claim that she's great at gifts, because that's that's a good one.
Speaker 3: But you know, but remember, we like to gift like we like. And it took me a while to figure this out with my wife. So now I've kind of listened and picked up on the details. That's why I went with that story. And what my wife has said before I mentioned you off the ear that my wife loves fresh flowers.
Speaker 1: That changes her mood.
Speaker 3: She'll do a one to eighty if there's fresh flowers on the table, and it's different and like her love language, for example, is service, so she doesn't need all the fluffy gifts. But if I come home and empty the dishwasher and clean the house from top to bottom to include the bathrooms, I'm god, you know.
Speaker 2: If I get the dishes done, I'm walking with my chest out a little bit around around the coffee headquarters.
Speaker 1: If you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: We've got another update of sports coming your way with Scott on the other side. We'll talk a little more Father's Day coming up later on. We've got another list that tells tells us America's favorite TV dads. And then at some point we'll let you We'll let you know what Vince Marrow had to say in his statement as they made it official yesterday. He's leaving the University of Kentucky to join Jeff Browm's staff at Louisville. Still one of those things that doesn't quite seem real time to be alive. What a rivalry moment between these two programs here in state. So an update of Trafficking Weather's coming up right here right now on news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is six thirty five here consecut It's morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Good morning, we made it. It's Friday, and a busy friday. It has been so far. Obviously a couple of big stories we've been following as there continues to be real tension between state and federal when it comes to the immigration situation. The ice protests still going on all across the country, but in California it has continued to heat up throughout the week. And yesterday you had a quick reversal. So we had a ruling where a judge had blocked Donald Trump from deploying the National Guard in California, but the appeals court quickly blocked that order. So that's of course out there. And also we now know that Israel has launched their strike on Iran, including their nuclear program. And this is the let's see, this is the Prime Minister announcing the make sure I've got the right sound cute queue up here, but yes, this is the announce the announcement of the attack on on Iran.
Speaker 4: Let's a go. Israel launched Operation Rising lion targeted military operation to roll back the Iranian threat to Israel's very survival. This operation will continue for as many days as it takes to remove this threat.
Speaker 2: So we'll continue to keep you updated on that as best we can throughout the morning here. Obviously, that's going to be a story throughout. So one of the things we discussed earlier this week was some news that you rarely ever see, and that is a coach, a very popular coach, leaving a position to take a I guess a lower level position to an extent at the rival school. But that's what happened this week, and he became official yesterday as you have all announced that Vince Mayor will be joining Jeff Brahm's staff and he will be serving as the executive director of player Personnel and recruiting. And again, he was the tight ends coach, recruiting coordinator and associate head coach for Mark Stoops at Kentucky throughout Stoops' entire tenure in Lexington until earlier this week, whenever he decided to just move within the state and go to Louisville. Here is the quote from I'll start with Jeff brom Here's what he had to say in UFL statement quote, I'm excited to have Vince Merrow join our staff. He exemplifies the highest standards of collegiate coaching and recruiting success. His extensive experience, commitment to player development, and exceptional ability to connect with young athletes have made him one of the best in the business. Thens will be a huge ass set to the staff. So that's really I guess what should expect someone like Jeff Brom to say, because there's a relationship there between the two and we all know that when it comes to Vince Merrow, his calling card in college football as being a guy that is greater recruiting and establishing relationships. Now, Merrow's comments were more so what I was interested in, just because this is somebody who was on the other side of the rivalry for quite some time.
Speaker 1: He played into it.
Speaker 2: There's some pictures that have surfaced over the years, especially they've been brought back up in the last twenty four hours of him doing L's down at certain events, which of course is the is what Kentucky fans do, not just at games against Louisville. I mean, it's kind of part of their culture, their lifestyle. Hey, We're gonna go get our pictures made for the Christmas cards.
Speaker 1: Family.
Speaker 2: Let's get one where we do the L's down. Hey, we're gonna go. You know, let's post for the camera. Honey, do l's down. They can't control themselves, but Vince Merrow. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I'm incredibly excited to work with Jeff Brohm and the University of louisvill football program. Jeff Now I've known each other for over twenty five years. I've always admired and respected him and the bron family. I love the state of Kentucky. This has become my home. The opportunity to take this exciting role in the state where I have so many incredible relationships with something that I couldn't pass up. I also want to thank the University of Kentucky, Mark Stoops, the administration of the fans. I've made lifelong friendships during my time at UK, and I have every desire to keep those relationships. This is one of the reasons I wanted to stay in this state. My hope is that I left the Kentucky football program in a better position than when we started. I will always be grateful for my time there, Ultimately, my goal is to win a national championship. I'm very confident that we can accomplish that goal, and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: To get started.
Speaker 2: So clearly he's going to talk up his relationship and appreciate his I mean, he was a made man in Lexington, would have never probably needed to go anywhere else. Even if Stoops was to be fired, I believe Vince Merrow probably would have found himself in a some type of role as an ambassador or just somebody that is in and off the field role because he's beloved now Mark Stoops. Here's what he had to say, a little bit of a shorter statement quote, We're thankful for coach Merrow's contributions to our program over the past twelve years. As we look to the new season and a new era of college football, we're focused on the opportunities at hand. Will continue to build a roster and staff to balance his talent, experience, maturity, physicality, and the attitude it takes to win in the nation's most competitive conference. I wish my friend and colleague nothing but the best. So a little bit later on, I'll I'll tell you at least what I'm here and as far as the noise on both sides, on the Louisville front and the Kentucky side, because for Louisville fans, they're excited, they feel as if they just stole a beloved staffer from Kentucky, which they technically did, but there's also some concern there right, like he's still got a lot of connections with the enemy, which I don't know if that's really something fans are worried about, but I'm sure at least some are. And then on the Kentucky side, they've already tried to convince themselves, at least some of the fans, as to why this isn't a big deal. And Vince really wasn't that great. After telling us for so long that he's he's the man, he's the big dog. Now they're walking that back just a little bit. So we'll get an update on that later on. And we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way right now here on News.
Speaker 1: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: It is six forty seven here at Kentucky and his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. We've got Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden and John Shannon and John will have your next news update coming up at about seven o'clock. More on sports coming up in about eight minutes. Father's Day is this Sunday, which I'm excited for. And we've got a Roku survey that asked folks who they think the best TV dads are. And these are in three different tiers. So we've got top TV dads overall, Top vintage TV dads from the pre two thousands, and then the modern TV dads which are two thousands on. Let's start with the vintage TV dads. Tim Taylor Home Improvement, definitely, that's one. This is a little before my time. Gomez Adams, the Adams Family.
Speaker 3: I wasn't a big Adams Family guy. That's before my time too.
Speaker 2: Al Bundy married with children, That's that's classic. Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch. And then Homer Simpson, which the Simpson's still around right like it still.
Speaker 1: Make say, no Peter Griffin in here.
Speaker 2: He didn't make it for the vintage Okay, So modern TV dads. Red Foreman, that seventy show, Phil Dunphie Modern Family. Not a surprise to see him up there. I know he's real popular in that show, Think Hill from King of the Hill, Jack Pearson, this is us George Lopez in George Lopez. So yeah, overall it was Tim Taylor Gomez, Adam's Al Bundy Red Foreman, and Phil Dunfree.
Speaker 1: So no love for Peter.
Speaker 3: Peter Griffin didn't make the cut.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things I know I thought of years back when we were talking Father's Day on my other on my old show, is that in some of the shows I watched growing up, some of the characters that had I guess like the most fatherly like role weren't actually dad's.
Speaker 1: In the show.
Speaker 2: Like what was the guy Wilson who's across the fence and Home Improvement, Like he's given fatherly wisdom at all times, but you never see his face and he's not a dad within the show. How about how about mister Belding and Saved by the Bell fe like he practically raised me as a kid.
Speaker 3: Well, when you were along the lines of family guy, you got Cleveland. Yeah, Cleveland was a great dad. And you know when you were reading this list, I was just thinking about some of the dads and controversial at the time, but Archie Bunker and all the family you know. He it depends on how you want to categorize these dads. Now, he portrayed to race his father, which is is not cool in every stretch of the imagination. However, when you listen to Carol O'Connor talk about that role in what Norman Leear wanted to do, and that was convey a message in show America, this is where we're going, this is what we kind of look like. I mean for him to and he actually felt exact opposite of the character he played, which is testament to his acting ability because he was able to play that role so well.
Speaker 2: That would make an uncomfortable gig for somebody who's portraying something that they strongly are.
Speaker 3: And not like well, no, and they hit so many social issues. George Jefferson along the same lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who played a.
Speaker 3: Dad as well.
Speaker 2: So another character from a show I watched growing up, Boy Meets World. You familiar with that one, Yeah, mister Feenne. I mean he was the principal and the neighbor and he I think he was a teacher principle. But yeah, TV dad. And then there's some like some one of my favorite characters in a show that was a big showtime hit.
Speaker 1: William H.
Speaker 2: Macy played this role, but he was Frank Gallagher and Shameless and it was a great I loved that show, loved that character, but he was an awful dad. Yeah, but seeing someone I guess just so again that he's a great actor in general. But yeah, I would say when you were describing his character in said show, you might start with awful dad. But yet you know it made for great television and whatnot. But he has a good show, Tom Drama if you've never seen it.
Speaker 3: Shameless, there was a movie and I was trying to think about what you were talking with that.
Speaker 1: I just watched it last year.
Speaker 3: Robert de Niro, well one he played to Meet the Parents, which was great. But if you want to watch that's a good movie dad, right, Oh, it's a great movie Dad. About my father was Robert de nirol. Fascinating story is a great So I watched that and it was all about him just kind of finding his way as he matures as a father, and it's good stuff. You get a chance to watch it. It was out twenty twenty three. It's a good watch, so lots of it's a good list. Man. I can't argue with.
Speaker 2: That Father's Day will be here in a couple of days. Exciting stuff for the dads out there for sure. All Right, we got another updated traffick and weather coming your way. Also, we'll hit on some sports with Scott right here on news radio waight forty whas