Speaker 1: We're Tom A Lorendo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. HELLOQ is welcome back to another edition of the PSO. I am the Tea and you're Telo Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the Low and your te Lo Lorenzo because my lovely husband. It is a very eventful week. Much to discuss. I'm just gonna warn y' all, well, it's probably in the title. We never know what the title of the podcast is going to be until after we recorded, but I'm pretty sure Kamala's name is going to be in the title. So yeah, we're going to speak about the historic week that we just had and a bit about Kamala Harris's presidency. As you know, we don't as you might know, we do not engage in a lot of political discussion. We do some stuff on our social media, but even then that's exceedingly rare and we try and keep it off our site. And that's largely because one thing we've learned in the last eight years, you know, with the Trump presidency and the you know, lockdown for COVID and just all the political upheaval and social upheaval of the list eight years, is we've learned that our role, more than ever is to be a respite from those things, is to be a place where people can go to get away from all the screaming and the yelling. On the other hand, yeah, we're talking and moving everything on the table because our twenty two pound cat just jumped up tab Hunter. Now he's ready to let his opinions be known. Anyway, we try and keep everything away from the political sphere, although we're not a political at all as to gay men in America, we're going to have opinions about where politics is heading. And of course, so here's the deal. We're going to talk about Kamala for the next probably ten minutes or so. I'm not really going to sit here and get too far into electoral politics and that sort of thing. I want to talk a bit about semiotics, a bit about her style, a bit about the celebrity response to it. So that's all within our sphere. But i will say I'm not part of my language. But I'm not gonna be a pussy about this. I will say the reason we feel strongly about Kamala Harris's campaign is because our rights are on the line, and the rights of our sisters and our nieces and every woman we know, every person of color that we know, And to quote Taraji p Hens and go Google Project twenty twenty five if you don't know anything about it. Donald Trump is seventy seven years old, and he has chosen us as running made a thirty nine year old man who believes that progressive people are not human literally quoting him, would like to get rid of gay marriage, would like to arrest women for crossing straight line state lines.
Speaker 2: He's a monster.
Speaker 3: And if he's a younger version of no, he's.
Speaker 2: Much worse than Trump. He's much, much, much worse than Trump.
Speaker 1: And Trump is the oldest nominee in the history of our country now and there's a good likelihood that if Trump were elected, we would be looking at president Vance in the space of two to three years and then it's all over for us.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So yes, I do feel strongly about this.
Speaker 1: And yes, you can come at me from the left and say, you know, Biden is problematic or Kamala is a cop, or we can talk about the problematic response the administra has had to things like Gaza. I understand, I truly do. But if there's anything I hope the left has learned in the last eight years, and I do the response to Kamala's announcement has given me some hope is that a presidential election is not about voting for your dream candidate or voting for the person that's going to check off everything on your list, because it's impossible. It is a administrative position over three hundred million people. So there's going to be broad, you know, you know, broad electoral points that they that you may not agree with, and the point is that you have to just suck it up. People do not like hearing the idea that you should be voting for the.
Speaker 2: Lesser of two evils or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I've been voting for forty years and every bin that's every presidential election. That's the way that that works. If you want real change, you got to do that on the school board level.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that we're even having the discussion. It's not about the actual candidate. It's about you know, what they're going to bring and do I look at the Supreme Court now, I mean, it's not about Yeah, he's a monster and I can't stand him, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't get elected again and and yes, I am the vote, you know. I yeah, I have my criticisms of you know, Biden, as you said, and Kamala yes, and it wasn't happy with her a whole immigration thing. But at the same time I felt like she was pushed and she didn't know how to react and react badly. But you the bottom line, and we have no choice. We have no choice. I will vote for a donkey before I vote for Trump. That's the bottom line here.
Speaker 1: I said we weren't going to get into electoral stuff, and we got straight into it, I know, but I did.
Speaker 2: I want to just you know, set that out there.
Speaker 1: We don't do these sorts of discussions too often, but if we're going to do it, I'm going to say what I'm going to say, and that is that you people on the left need to understand that when you vote for a president, you're not voting for your best friend. I remember back during the Clinton Bill Clinton, the whole thing, all the stuff that was coming up about Monica Lewinsky and all that back in the day. And let me just say, at the time, none of us knew how bad of a sexual predator.
Speaker 2: Bill Clinton was.
Speaker 1: But at the time I remember saying something that in that context I don't think is all that great, But in an overall presidential context, I still stand by that. I feel like the president of the United States is like the president of my bank. I don't really need to love them. I don't need to know that much about them, except I need to know that they're going to broadly, they're going to take care of me, take care of me. You know that they're not going to actively try to hurt me. And that's that's how I've always approached every presidential I don't need Bill Clinton famously said, and he was right. Republicans fall in line and Democrats fall in love, and and that's always been I think part of our downfall is that if we don't completely love, love, love our candidate, we have a really hard time getting behind them. And you saw that in the nineties. You saw that with the Clintons. Believe it or not, they were beloved by the by Democrats for a while, and then you saw that with the Obamas. But then you didn't see that with Biden because it's not the kind of he's not the kind of person that people are going to completely get excited about. And now you're seeing it again with Kamalo. You're seeing this.
Speaker 2: Huge ground of support. I have no idea the polling is too early. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I would never ever, ever, but it's believed that.
Speaker 1: There's going to be some sort of you know, I agree, it's not going it's still going to be tight.
Speaker 3: I know. I will only believe anything the morning after. You know that. That's how I write, That's how I is with me. But I'm excited to see the excitement. I mean on TikTok, her pr team is doing a good job.
Speaker 2: They're doing a spectacular job.
Speaker 3: She's all over TikTok. The celebrity supporting her, which I think is great. Beyonce, it just you know, said yes you can use my freedom song. I mean, that's major.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk about celebrity stuff. This is what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we did get into the electoral stuff, but I did want to talk a little bit about the fashion and the celebrity stuff. First off, this Kamala's candidacy probably came about largely because George Clooney got pissed off. And I have to say that at the time and even now, I had some issues with that. I was like, Oh, I don't really like big Hollywood actors determining what direction our elections should go in. In the end, I think George Clooney will probably be proven right. Everyone's really mad at him right now, and I feel like saying, this is not a Susan Sarandon thing. I mean, he is supporting the party. He is, but he just couldn't support that candidate. But I think it's interesting how much of a celebrity response has come. You know, celebrities always come out in favor of Democrats, mostly in favor of Democrats, and some in favor of Republicans. I mean, Trump has his people on his side, Kid Rock, but I feel like there's a fervor this year.
Speaker 2: There was the there was a.
Speaker 1: White Woman for Kamala Zoom call last night with like Tonnie Britten and Pink and Glennon doylety author and apparently there was over one hundred and thirty six thousand women on the call.
Speaker 2: It broke Zoom.
Speaker 1: It broke records and it raised I think since the since the announcement, the record that's been record breaking fundraising like two hundred and twenty million dollars. So the excitements there I also want to note again back taking it back to celebrities, Jennifer Anison came out this week and she's a political for the most part, and she was pissed because of those JD Vance comments about childless cat ladies. And let me just go back that JD. Vans also wants to outlaw IBF, so like, yeah, yeah, I mean, I mean loser ass whole wizard, which I'm happy that people are starting to realize it.
Speaker 3: And attack him, not just Trump, but also attack him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's likely to be the next president after Trump, because Trump is likely not to live out his term.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I wasn't even thinking, oh, we all got.
Speaker 1: To think that, I know, And that's part exactly. This is going to take me back to a point about Comwo. As a Democrat this I never felt like she was being appointed or that this was some sort of coronation because when I voted for Biden, I voted.
Speaker 2: Given his age.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, he's likely to die in office, which means I'm pretty much voting for her. So when they slotted her in after he stepped out to me, and it seems to me like most of the Democratic Party is responding in the same way. We're fine with this. This is kind of what we wanted.
Speaker 3: Actually, now that she has some experience in and.
Speaker 1: Why now, Yeah, I mean, anyone who was saying a vice president, former senator, former attorney general. I mean, if you're trying to claim that she doesn't have expect you're racist. Guess what you are? You're racist at your besides, you're an asshole.
Speaker 3: Also, she's qualified. It's ridiculous. JD.
Speaker 2: Vans wrote a book Okay.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah, yeah, and went.
Speaker 3: To Yale or whatever.
Speaker 2: Uh okay.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was interesting that Jennifer Ansa came out and she was very angry about this and made a point. And I said to you, I was like, I don't I don't want to push too much on celebrities because I think it's I think it's I don't know. I think it's you wind up putting your your faith in people that you probably shouldn't put your faith in, and and celebrities are uh flighty and you know that sort of thing. However, I feel like I will be very disappointed at Beyonce Adie and Taylor Swift don't actually come out and say something Beyonce, because I mean Beyonce is like the queen of black women in America. There's just there's no one who elevates black women more culturally than Beyonce. And here you have the first black woman running for the presidency and a major party ticket, and she could actually win. So it's not my place as a white man to say this, but I'm like, oh, Beyonce, please tell me you're gonna, I don't know, show up at the convention or something. Similarly, Taylor Swift is the queen of childless cat ladies. I mean literally the queen of it. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way. She is all about living that single life and loving her cats. And she is the most important cultural figure in the world right now, regardless of what else you may think about Taylor. So again, it's like, all right, I need you both to step up because not just because you're the two most important cultural figures in the world, but this this campaign actually intersects with both of your personas in very powerful ways.
Speaker 3: I I hope we get the support of both of them, like vocal and public a concert.
Speaker 2: We'll see something.
Speaker 3: The bottom line is that it's time to vote for a woman you know.
Speaker 2: She thinks people are realizing.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, and and I'm not saying you should vote for a woman just because Kamala is a woman.
Speaker 1: Now it's a capable you know. Well, I saw great tweet Twitter. I don't know who she's who was she said, I'm not voting for Kamla because she's a woman. I'm voting for Kamla because I'm a woman.
Speaker 2: And that's that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and yeah, that's it. That's it for women. I think you have to you don't vote for it, but simply because of her gender, you're voting because your gender is under so much much hack by her bonus, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I also just feel.
Speaker 1: You know, Jesus Christ, it is embarrassing that we've never had a woman pressent. Frankly, I'm embarrassed. I'm justus that this country is so backwards about that sort of thing. But regardless, I'm not making some sort of DEI you know, I'm not saying about for as simply because she's a woman, or simply because she's biracial or you know, black or Asian or whatever. I think those are as with all diversity initiatives and there's value in that. There is value in that and having a woman in the in the oval office and having a person of color in the because new perspectives, diverse perspectives always have value. This is what anti DEI people don't understand. But I'm not making the argument that she should be.
Speaker 2: Voted for because of those reasons.
Speaker 3: But the bottom line is that if you're not a white straight man, there is no reason for you to vote for Trump. That's that's that's well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would hope white straight men would understand that.
Speaker 3: I know, but my point is that he only upholds those people exactly. That's my point. Yeah, that's the people, uh that matter too? Yeah, nobody else matters. So yeah, it's there's.
Speaker 2: A lot on the line.
Speaker 1: And I just feel like, with all the energy going on and everything, we are pop culture bloggers. We're not political pundits. And I freaking hate political pundits. I can't stand them. I think they're the don't listen to them. Don't listen to them. Learn and make your you know, and voice your support, but don't listen to those assholes on cable TV. I mean, I'm sorry, but I just think most of them are completely useless people.
Speaker 3: Anyway, We also were going to talk about her style, and.
Speaker 1: The only reason I say about it, it always comes up. It came up in twenty twenty where people asked us to talk about her style, And first off, it's sexist to ask us to do that because you've never you never asked us to you know, look at any other vice president ever. You never asked us to look at their suits because they.
Speaker 2: Were all men.
Speaker 1: And now that she's a presidential candidate, there is some semiotic value, there's you know, you can look at the symbolism there was. We had discussions about Hillary back in twenty sixteen about how she was using her style. But I would say this as a former first Lady, believe it or not, Hillary Clinton is far more stylish than Kamala Harrison's Hillary. You know, her public life involved gowns and dresses and that sort of thing because it was necessary in her role. Now, once she became a senator, it was strictly pretty much pantsuits, straight down the line. But I still think in terms of her public self, Hillary had a more evolved sense of style. She understood how to use it better than as a candidate. Kamala is a lawyer. She dresses like a lawyer. She dresses in pretty standard business suits with almost no and they're almost always in business like colors, grays and browns and blues. Yeah, that's it. She doesn't step out in red suits. Everyone's a while she'd wear a purple suit. But I like that about her. I really don't want, I don't need that in a president, and I don't want to have a discussion about her fashion because it's not important. However, I will give her one bit of advice, and this is controversial, but I know it's very symbolic, but I really hope she tries to avoid the white suit thing. It became a very It just became way too associated with Hillary, not just with Hillary, but also with her loss and pain. I understand it's a suffragette symbol, but I also feel like symbolically, people on the left, especially white people on the left, are rushing to compare her to Obama and Hillary, because you know, Obama was black and Hillary was a woman, and now we have a black woman and she's her own person. I really think people need to understand that we're looking, we're not voting for Michelle Obama here just because she's a black woman, you can't impose. And just because she's a woman like, she's not hilly, stylistically, politically everything. She's very different from Hillary. So I would say, don't wear the white suit. It was done to tremendous effect, but then she lost that. Now it's kind of a painful symbol, it's all. And I know mean Nancy Pelosi and aoc other women in politics have worn the white suit at various times. And maybe that's why I'm saying, don't do that just as a symbol.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I listen.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying don't be a feminist, don't be a proud feminist, but I just I don't think that symbol actually has the power.
Speaker 3: We'll see, I will see something about her stuff her. She's always impeccable, and she is. She's always it's a basic. You can say it's a basic look, but it fits her well. I agree, She's always well fitted. It's just perfect. It just looks great on her.
Speaker 1: Her jackets always fit well, her pants always hit at exactly the right point.
Speaker 2: I hope she looks great.
Speaker 1: I hope she breaks out the chucks when she's on a campaign, because that's a great look. It's such a gen X iconic look. I know, technically she's not gen X, but we're claiming her. We're claiming her and Dougie as our technics.
Speaker 3: Icon Anyway, we support Kamala.
Speaker 2: Harris and we hope you do too.
Speaker 3: Uh, and we hope you do too. Think about it. Uh? Oh god, yes I will. Yeah I am. I am voting for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think this concludes our We just it was such a moment in the and it feels weird not to talk about it at all. And that's it. We're not we're not we're not political pundits. So and I really don't like that infecting our world too much, not because I'm a political but because I have a job and I want to read it for myself.
Speaker 3: If you want to read more, go to Twitter Tom and now from us. Yeah Tom has been posting. Yeah, but if you want to, if you want to read a little more about how how we feel, you know, just go to Twitter.
Speaker 1: All right, we didn't mention what else we were going to be talking about. We just launched right into what we are going to be talking about House of the Dragon later in the podcast, and we are have a few things to talk about in terms of the Faye Donaway documentary on HBO Max and with suggestions and this and that. But right now we're going to take a break and we'll be right back. All right, we're back. We're going to talk do a little TV talk before we get to House the Dragon. We have other TV to talk about. Lorenzo I did not watch one second of The De cameraon, but he watched the entire thing when it was in our Netflix screamers queue.
Speaker 3: So go, well, first thing first, first thing first, anyway, I was obsessed with the book when I was a teenager, The De Camera Christia where you Little Door I now written by BOOKATU read the whole thing when I was a teenager, was fascinated by I couldn't believe so much sex and you know dirty is in a book written in thirteen when it was written, but anyway, thirteenth century I believe anyway. So I was just fascinated by the book and I so when I saw that Netflix was going to have a show about it, I was just like, oh my god, this is incredible. So that the camera If you don't know the book, it's sat in thirteen forty eight, during the Black Death, a group of young men and women, rich people get together and in this mention and avoiding the plague, so they stay away from everybody and they just stay in this beautiful place. And then they to pass the time because they're there, you know, they're there waiting until the play is over. They decide to tell stories. So the book is pretty much stories, kind of erotic, uh, you know, tone stories and it's a great book. So I thought the show was going to be about that, but no, it's inspired by the book and the show is pretty much them, the young you know, men and women together, so its focused too much on them, and there's no story. I thought they were going to talk about them, have them their stories, and then they would have scenes when they you know, you would switch to the stories they tell. But no, they decided not to do that, so I thought it. I thought it was a little boring. I was disappointed and also bored because it's just them and the castle the whole time, and it's just there's not much there.
Speaker 2: So is it funny?
Speaker 3: It's funny every now and then because the cast is amazing. Unit you have who Sasha Moment also Sir Sha Monica Jackson. She's phenomenal. She's in also a Derby Girls, right Gary, Dairy Girls, My god, Dairy Girls. So sorry, thank you. So the cast is great and funny, uh Tony hal So. So they're funny. There are funny moments. And I was reading all the reviews and you can tell that the reviews are trying very hard to make the show happen. It's okay. I I give it a shot, but I if you, I think if you read the book, if you know the book, you'll be a little disappointed because it's pretty much just damn about them in the castle the whole time. So I don't know. I felt like there's not much there for a whole series, but you know, give it a shot. So that's my number one suggested on Netflix. The second one is a very good movie, a German movie called The Teacher's Lounge Lezima in German. It's about a teacher. She starts teaching in the high school. She's a mass and and it sports teacher and one of her students is so aspective theft and she gets interested in the whole thing and she decides to you know, get to the bottom of the matter, find out who the you know the thief is So it's it's a very good movie because it's about teaching, is about being new, a new teacher, uh, your ideas as a teacher, and the system that you face when you are a new teacher and you become part of a school, and the whole parenting thing, the pressure of the parents and the students. I thought it was very, very well done. It's just a great movie, So I highly recommend it. It's called The Teacher's Lounge on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it fantastic.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch either, but I did watch Faye oh Yeah, documentary on HBO about Faye Dunaway. My I can't say I loved it, I think, and part of the reason I didn't love it is because I don't love this trend of doing these documentaries about celebrities that are basically they're essentially home movies because they're they're more or less produced entirely with the celebrities right cooperation, and in some cases these celebrities are or family members of these celebrities are producing these documentaries. So I think it makes a wonderful retrospective on her career and we get to hear some thoughts from her about some of her most famous roles, including you know, you know, Buddy and Clyde in Chinatown and Thomas Crown, Thomas Crown Affair, and of course Mammy Dearest, and you know, probably Mammy Dearest. Her thoughts on Mammy Dearest are the most are the biggest reason to watch it because she famously, you know, practically disowned that role and it nearly well pretty much did tank her career. And all of that's great, all of that's very interesting. But I do feel that, you know, Faye Dunaway is legendary for being a nightmare on sets, and I do I think there is a discussion to be had about women in the film industry who have been vilified for being difficult, who in fact were just you know, not allowing themselves to be sexually assaulted in a lot of cases. But that's not necessarily true with Faye Dunaway. I mean, there's thirty to forty years of legendary stories that people are coming out and I don't mean, oh, she's a bitch. I mean she was physically abusing crew members and staff members. She was you know, throwing things at people and screaming slurs at people, and.
Speaker 2: The doc this is why.
Speaker 1: I had a prob I was like, all right, well, I get it that she is bipolar. And this came out in the last few years that she was well, after she was fired from her last play and the producers came out and explained why she was fired, and it came out that she was not on she was not maintaining her medication, and that's when it came out that she was bipolar. And then she admits it in this documentary, and of course I have all the sympathy in the world for someone.
Speaker 3: Who has those issues.
Speaker 1: And she also admits to her alcoholism in the documentary, but they never tell you what any of the stories of what she did. And I don't feel that she needs to be raked over the coals, but a better documentary would have had There is one story from someone who's yes, and it's only one. He tells a story who worked on a crew and the way she treated him, and it's actually a slightly humorous story. It's nasty, but it's also you can't get too mad at her for it, and it just says I'm like, yeah, I've heard way worse about her, and I don't mean like on gossip forms. I mean people went to the press, I mean, producers and crew members talked about her over the years, and she physically abused people. She called, you know, gay men, little faggots and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And I get it, like.
Speaker 1: Alcoholism and bipolar will do an awful lot and to cause a person to lose control. We can talk about her with sympathy, but I didn't appreciate that everything about that was glossed over. There's a and actually it wasn't until she talks about her son's adoption and the way it was discussed. It was so evasive and weird that I was like, what am I not being told here? There's clearly some story here, and they're just going and I had to go online and find out what is the gossip about hers?
Speaker 2: And it's not.
Speaker 1: The point is that she told everyone for years that yeah, he was her biological son, and then her ex husband said in an interview like when the kid was like twenty five years old, that he was adopted, and she hemden hawd and eventually said that, yeah, none of that's in the documentary, and the fact that it's not, I'm like, well, what that just feels I feel like I'm not being told the story here, and I'm not owed the story. But if you're doing this documentary and being evasive.
Speaker 3: Obviously she didn't want to talk about it. In her son talks about her not wanting to talk about the adoption at all, not even to him, So I get that part. Unless she had final approval in the whole documentary.
Speaker 2: Thing, I don't feels that way.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why the director couldn't, you know, done his homework.
Speaker 1: And they never It's whatever Fay says Fay in her own words, which fine, but that's very She would for many reasons, and I sympathize she would have many reasons to want to tell a more flattering version of these events because the real version is terribly unplayed. But you know, as a documentary, I'm like, well, I don't I feel like it's a press release. I feel like it's home movies. I don't feel like I really know the story.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll say something. I think difficult people get a bad rap because in general, but in her case, I think it was a little more than that. I understand that.
Speaker 1: This isn't a Barber Strois saying thing. This is abusing people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like Julia Roberts kind.
Speaker 2: Of No, no, no, this is literally difficult.
Speaker 3: She was abusive, and you know she's bipolar and she suffered from the and I understand all that. So yeah, but I let me say a few positive things and Doc Landry one of them is that I it was a great reminder of what a wonderful, wonderful actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, world class. It's really a shame.
Speaker 3: And how gorgeous, gorgeous, I guess, stunning woman Crown Affair.
Speaker 1: I mean she's, oh my god, and she nobody ever looked like that on film.
Speaker 3: And she mentions the costume designer.
Speaker 2: Theodore or uncle, yes.
Speaker 3: Who designed all the costumes for her for the movie and also for Bunny and Clyde and and my god, the customers in every one of her movies are amazing Chinatown. Yes, yes, so she I think she's all right. She's problematic, like as someone said in the documentary, if somebody that, if you had to describe her in one words, that problematic. She Yes, she is. Probably I think she still is. She was during her career. But my god, what a talented woman.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: The first half hour is just all of that her early work, and I was like, wow, I need to rewatch some of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I felt the same way.
Speaker 1: She's so intense you you think of her as this, you know, breathtaking beauty in her early work, but she was doing like streep level, heavy duty acting back then.
Speaker 3: I don't know it's because of the documentary. Max has several of her movies available at the moment, which I we watched this week, and especially Chinatown and The Thomas Crant Affair. They're all amazing movies. She I remember as a kid watching The Eyes.
Speaker 2: Of Laura Mars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like fascinating or Networks She's amazing in network.
Speaker 3: She is she is. Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, problematic, And I also have a part of her career, you know, the sort of backlash against her or the failure, is that she she she played really really unlikable women very early on in her career, and that was a brave thing to do. But I think it affected how people thought of her. I mean, of course, all the stories about her abusing people on set. I mean, like they talk about Chinatown and oh, you know, I was a little.
Speaker 3: Difficult on set. The story was that she threw Urine on the.
Speaker 1: Director Jesus, Okay, you're bipolar, you're alcoholic, I get it. But if you're going to do this retrospective and you're going to address how difficult you were, this is what I mean. It's like they pulled back too much. She's an old woman and there were the scenes of her. There are scenes of her talking where I just I feel so much for her, Like she's old and she wants to be thought of a certain way, and she knows she's not going to get it, really get a chance. I mean, she's like eighty three, and I don't really think she's got many movies out of her, so I do. I'd sympathize a lot. I understand a lot.
Speaker 3: And I think her son kind of hinted that because he said, sometimes I call her and she's.
Speaker 2: Not on her medications.
Speaker 3: That was really hard, he shows, and I asked her, did you take your ma? Her son is very sweet, very sweet guy, very good looking guy too.
Speaker 1: I looked him up when he was younger. He was poor, and I actually think that's why there were so many rumors about him, is that she lied about his adoption and then he was so good looking that people there were all these rumors that some co star, some Hollywood coastar was the actual father, which I'm not buying into that. I'm just saying I think part of the reason why. Anyway, I did want to talk briefly about Mommy Dearest. It's such an iconic role and I do genuinely, genuinely feel bad for her with regards to how that all played out. I don't think she did great work, and she even admits that she feels that her bipolar took over a little bit and was affecting the performance. I actually feel like it was one of those performances that was so dark it destroyed the person who was playing it.
Speaker 3: Especially having the repetition she had of being Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it truly truly darkened her.
Speaker 3: I think she went too far, and you know.
Speaker 2: I think the director I was just enough.
Speaker 3: As Sharonstone said in the documentary, I mean you should also blame the director for it.
Speaker 1: I totally blame the director. I mean, she was a dramatic actress. She and she thought she was doing a dramatic portrayal, and actually I think the director thought he was well he I know that he just wasn't up to the task. Because apparently all the people laughing in the audience and the fact that it became a cult classic was it took all of them off guard.
Speaker 2: They thought they were doing. But he I don't like.
Speaker 1: I'm one of those gay men who don't love that film. I understand the camp value of it, but it's dark. It is a film about child abuse, and some of those scenes are actually disturbing. And I've been in like gay bars where men were cheering and laughing as a little girl was having the shit beat out of her on camera, and I was like, yeah, I don't I just know I'm not taking any fine whatever. But people can consider it a camp classic. I thought it is still about child abuse.
Speaker 3: I agree. I find the whole thing such a mess.
Speaker 2: It's a mess.
Speaker 3: The actual daughter, you know, the book and everything. Everything about it is just very sad and and I'm I don't feel I don't want to be part of it in a way, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's exactly it. I I feel that the story is about Joan Crawford as a mother. There is some truth to them. If you listen to any interview with Joan or you read her book that she wrote about like scrubbing her kitchen floor, and you know, that's sort of Joan's household tips. She was clearly like very very very high strung and probably had a lot of demons herself. But that book and that movie destroyed her reputation completely, and I don't think it was deserved at all. If you sometimes I'll catch some old Joan Crawford performance, and I don't mean Mildred Peers, I mean some of her other works, and it's, like Jesus Christ, she was amazing, and it's a shame that most people just think of her as no Wirehanngers and Faye done Away.
Speaker 2: And the other part.
Speaker 1: About that film that is such a shame is I don't think you would have ever found an actress of that generation better suited to play Joan. Ever, actually, of any generation, there was no actress better suited to play that role than Fay done Away. And I don't necessarily mean she only.
Speaker 3: Sort of looked like her, but like they showed.
Speaker 1: Interviews of her in the in the late sixties and early seventies, of Fay being interviewed about their film, and she sounds like Joan. She has that very sort of upper class, that sort of and she wasn't upper class. It was all she was a you know, army brat from Florida.
Speaker 2: But no, I mean mean true, It's true.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what they call themselves, army brats. Other interesting thing is that they show all these pictures of her as a young girl and and even in college and everything, and then they show her first film role and it's like, well, you dropped thirty pounds and had some blitzk surgery dub, but you're not going to mention that.
Speaker 3: Part at all. Like she looks she looks very different.
Speaker 1: She looks completely different. Granted, whatever, but this is what I mean. It's like I when I want to see a retrospective of a Hollywood stars career, I don't want their home movies. I want someone to challenge, you know, I want someone I conjective.
Speaker 3: I like both. I liked when they talk about the process when they made the movies. That's the I love. And now we're having all these documentary tapes, you know, like we found tapes of you know, we have the Elizabeth Taylor now and we had the Marilyn Moreau on Netflix. I like that too because you actually get to hear them talk hear them their voice, you know, and I like that, So I think it should be a combination of both. As you said, some parts were missing. So I think it's the director's, you know, fault, because he should he or she should be the one looking for that stuff to add to the documentary if Faye Dunaway doesn't want to talk about it. But I don't know. I have a feeling that she had to approve the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Of course, I don't think she was going to approve a documentary that showed her into marsh of a light. So to a certain extent, I appreciate how far she I mean, she was acknowledging her own mental health, her own roalism, and how difficult she could be. But it was, you know, evasive in a way that I was sitting there watching it feeling like, okay, you're like I said. It was when they got to the part about the adoption, I was like, Wow, this is so evasive, and.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I had to go look it up because they were acting so weird about it on camera.
Speaker 3: Clearly it was a big deal because in the documentary, her son says, you know, I tried to talk to my mom about it, and she doesn't want to talk about it. She barely talked about never talked about it.
Speaker 2: So there is sort of story there, but I'm not gonna I.
Speaker 3: Guess who knows. Maybe she was ashamed. Who knows? You never know. I mean that's why I you know, you never knew. I don't like to judge too much.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't judge anyhore. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think adoptions are fine. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that. I but like I said in the beginning, I enjoyed watching the documentary because it was a great reminder of what a wonderful, wonderful actors really.
Speaker 1: There were a couple of clips that I Wow, took my breath away, and I was like, I really need to watch some of these again. I haven't seen Thomas Crown Affair in a long time. I've seen Network a lot because TCM shows it all the time. But TCM we have on We have a small television in our kitchen and it's just on TCM with the sound off and the close captioning on, and we never turn it off. And I will get up in the middle of the night and there's like Joan Crawford's slapping someone and I will literally stop at like two in the morning, you know, I have to go to the bathroom or something, and I'll stop and look at it for a minute or two.
Speaker 2: So TCM is like, you know.
Speaker 3: We just love that.
Speaker 1: We're classic movie people and it is one of those things that you don't need to have the sound on.
Speaker 2: You just haven't running yet.
Speaker 1: And then you'll look up and there's dars Day or there, you know, there's Marilyn Monroe and whatever, there's some iconic scene from cinema.
Speaker 2: So I love that stuff.
Speaker 3: I love to see him.
Speaker 1: Are we done with this segment? All right, we're gonna wrap this up. We're gonna come back in a second to talk about.
Speaker 2: House Ouse of the Dragon. We'll be right back. We're back.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about how the Dragon. Lorenzo just told me that the ratings are dropping on this show.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: I just read online that this was the lowest rated episode so far this season, and people complain. People have been complaining about how boring and I'm just quoting them or slow the show the season is.
Speaker 1: I don't feel that, but whatever, I understand, and I'm gonna be very honest here.
Speaker 3: I feel like if I because of all the stuff that I watch and read online about the episodes, most of them are from people who read the books. So I do feel and I'm gonna be honest, Yeah, I feel like I think I would enjoy the show a lot more if I had read the books. That's the feeling I get, which shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't be pressured to read a book to enjoy a movie, I mean a show. So I don't know, but sometimes I feel like, all right, who's this character? And then people are talking about that, how so many new characters that you think are not important are being introduced but not properly introduced, and and they're going to play apart in the future but we don't know yet, so that that's that. Uh. And they're complaining about a lot of conversation around the table all the time, you know, slow motion.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, and I think everything, all of those conversations at Dragonstone are starting to get really boring.
Speaker 3: And I think they're just.
Speaker 2: Cats. I have one cat on either side.
Speaker 3: I know they're all here on the table now, uh, and they're just stratching things up the whole Damon not Damon, well, Damon yeah, Heronholm Jesus Christ. I know, it's just like, my god, it's just enough, we get it. Okay.
Speaker 1: There's some interesting scenes there because you know, you're getting to see his flashbacks to Vizaras, but then again, it's stuff that we already knew about his relationship with Vizara, so it feels like I had a lot of wheel spinning. I do think his discussion with Alice Rivers was the best scene yet.
Speaker 3: Because first of all, she's amazing, amazing, Yeah, I love her. She's so creepy and gorgeous. Yeah, costumes are beautiful. Everything about her.
Speaker 1: Her costume is stunning, like when she reaches out and the owl lands on her arm, Like, ah, I just love it because they haven't called her a witch. They call her a healer or whatever. But I just love that they're taking this this sort of iconic persona, which is, you know, a witch in a fantasy story or a you know, cunning woman in a fantasy story, and we have ideas about how those women are supposed to look like. Remember Melissandra in Game of Thrones. You know, the night is dark and phul of Terri. You expect these women to be like mysterious and and and and you know, almost regal in a way, and she's not. She's like very She's like this working class witch. I know, I know she she's weird and she's creepy, but you can tell she she knows things.
Speaker 3: You can tell the witty like like her. The way she lose her line. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: And she and Matt Smith have a fantastic I think it's funny because I don't mean it want to be mean, but they both have kind of goofy faces in the same way.
Speaker 2: They both like she could play his sister.
Speaker 3: A lot of people on the show goofy. I think there's a lot of good looking people striking different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's more good looking people on this show than on Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: All right, uh, we're not doing.
Speaker 3: Like a strict recap, but we will get to the kiss.
Speaker 2: But to your point about too much, uh yeah, when.
Speaker 1: This episode we got to see a bit more dragon stuff going on, and I was like, yeah, it's called House of the Dragon.
Speaker 2: I think I think we need more dragon.
Speaker 1: I think there needs to be dragon scenes in every episode. And uh so see smoke I actually really love that that scene with Smoke running down. I can't remember which one of the one is Adam and one is Then I can't remember which one is which of the two of Corliss's two sons. Oh yeah, I don't remember which one got on sea Smoke, but someone will correct me. But anyway, I did love that scene. First off, I think that actor is gorgeous, and just the scene of sea Smoke running him down and.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine? I'm like, could you imagine?
Speaker 1: You're just like doing your thing and then you realize that that dragon up in the sky is coming for you know. I think it was interesting that they did not show him.
Speaker 3: Oh his name is Adam.
Speaker 2: He's Adam, and the other one's Allan.
Speaker 3: Allan, Yeah, he's Adam.
Speaker 2: Of whole is the one that got the dragon?
Speaker 3: Or Adam is the one who got.
Speaker 1: The Okay, I mean, I don't want to hear it about the names. There's a ridiculous Yeah, it's Adam, all right, fine. I thought it was interesting that they chose not to show him getting on the dragon. But then again, I felt like, uh, it would have been a waste of time, like that sort of transition going from it's going to kill me too, it wants me to get on its back. Would have taken several minutes of screen time, and this one actually smarter because then you have right Era reacting like who the hell is you know? And and that scene of her riding out was actually kind of thrilling. And this is what I mean. I'm like, yeah, dragons, we need to see them on dragons, that's the whole point to this show.
Speaker 3: Now, and and see her inaction, because at this point is just her saying, all right, you go get killed for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you go get you you And it's just and on the other side, it's just Alacent sadly walking around courtyards and lighting candles and and Damon going insane like it's it's They's three characters, all of whom are seeking power in their own way, and they're just sort of spinning their wheels.
Speaker 2: And it's I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, I am enjoying this season a lot, but I do I do understand the complaints a little bit that there's just not not enough dragons, and thematically, I just think what those three characters are going through in their three separate cow it's just too similar.
Speaker 2: They're all sort of right. I'm frustrated. I can't I can't find the ally.
Speaker 3: I think the point has been made and it move. Yeah, time to move. I mean you already establish what they're going through. You know, Alison, it's been treated like shit, you know, by her son, and she's mourning the other son, and then there's the other one. She talks about the third son, you.
Speaker 1: Know, which were I guess we're finally going to meet her. I do want to talk about Allison and Helena and that scene lighting the candles, because I have to say, those costumes take.
Speaker 2: My breath away.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about gowns with those tiaras and those sheer like non habit veils, and there's there's just one st shot where the two of them are running through that courtyard to get away and their veils are trailing behind them, like, oh my god. That costumes, costumes and the fact that they're so identical that and they don't look any like. There are two women who are clearly both queens, their mother and daughter, but you'd never know it because they don't look anything alike. It's just a very strong image. And I do think the costume design is gorgeous this season.
Speaker 3: I do wish they had someone older to play Allison by this point, but I had sing, I mean, right, but Olivia Cook, my god, I absolutely love her.
Speaker 1: I do too, and I love Emma Darcy, so I wouldn't want them requast. But I don't understand why they're not aging them.
Speaker 2: Up a little bit little bit.
Speaker 1: Ye, I don't want to be to be blunt. Olivia Cook does not have the body of middle aged woman who has four adult children. I mean, she's got a waist so tiny in these skinskin skin tight gowns, and I'm like, can't we pad her up a little bit and put a little bit of gray in her hair and that would help? But I mean, she's gorgeous and hot and she looks amazing. So I guess they just want to play that up. But it would do a lot if they hit. And so I had left because Damon is right older than all of them. Damon is essentially a middle He's got to be about fifty at this point.
Speaker 3: But you'd never know what look at Hi, Matt Smith?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: I do want to get to the kiss. I will get to the kiss in a bit. I thought this, Oh yeah, the scene with Sir Stephan when they asked him to try and get on sea smoke and they dragged that out so long because I was like that because.
Speaker 3: Well, episodes again and they said, oh, he's gonna die, He's gonna die.
Speaker 1: I knew he was going to die because I also know he's not one of the dragon Seeds. I know who the dragon Seeds.
Speaker 3: Are, right. But I do think that it was a beautiful scene. He was so good.
Speaker 1: He was actually that actor was great, and they really drove the point home that you know, this is a religious thing for them. They see these things as gods. We see them as nuclear weapons, but they see them as actual gods.
Speaker 3: And I think they're doing a good job because I was really annoyed with Rainyer at this point because I was like, all right, you just having everyone just telling people up to their death left and right. Yeah, and because your delusion that you know this guy because he's a Trigerian blood, that the blah blah blah. Right, It's just like I said, they're just stretching everything.
Speaker 2: But that one guy, Well, first off, I thought that line. It is my fault.
Speaker 1: I think that you have you've forgotten to fear me. I was like, oh, that's a good one, sister, that is a good line.
Speaker 3: But you know, they're just stretching out the story a little bit, a little bit too much. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean I really like these characters and I like the way it's going, but there's not that much story here. That is part of the problem. There really is not that much story. Once the battles start, then everybody starts dying.
Speaker 3: You have to start showing more dragons and you have to start showing more action because if you want to have a wider audience, because if you continue the way it is, then it's going to be a very small show with yeah, you know, a very small audience. You just have to do get bigger.
Speaker 1: One of the things I think is interesting is Raina is in the Veil and she is supposed to be being sent off to Pentos, but it appears that there's a wild dragon in the veil, and that much has been made of the fact that she has not learned to write a dragon. In the books, there is a dragon Seed character named Nettles who is a young black girl, and they have not introduced her, but they have pushed Reina in this direction, so it does look like Reina is going to get a wild dragon of her own. And then there are the two guys in King's landing. There's the one blonde guy with the beard and then the other guy who's always in the tabrits talking about how he's a targarian. And I'm pretty sure they're going to get off her dragons at some point as well. Let's talk a little bit about Rainier and my Missaria's plan to send food.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was genius.
Speaker 1: That was genius. It was a very smart thing to do, very smart politically.
Speaker 3: And it's just it was great because I do think that they need to show more things like they're showing the folks hungry, you know, like the.
Speaker 1: Pa showed the small folk, yes something else of the Dragon didn't do all that often.
Speaker 3: I mean the time of the Efterord was small.
Speaker 1: It's small folk. Yeah, So I thought that was great. I do like seeing little scenes where they're you know, they're in the taverns complaining about all the food at the palace and everything like that.
Speaker 3: And my understanding is the guy fighting for the food. It's going to become a bigger character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean even yeah, that was so clear. Why would you be spending so much time on this person. Same thing with you know, Corliss's sons.
Speaker 2: The minute they were.
Speaker 3: Introduced, I was like, all right, well they're a big deal.
Speaker 2: I can tell that.
Speaker 1: So I don't really have anything to say about Agon and Aim and Amen was an asshole to his mother kicked her off the council.
Speaker 2: But boohoo, I.
Speaker 1: Really whatever, lady like you. It's all coming back to roost for you. I can't really feel all that bad.
Speaker 3: I thought it was interesting. The whole thing with Lara is Strong about you know, for me an alliance with the.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because Aiming, Well, the thing is Aimon, he really has bad instincts politics, and that's what everyone keeps trying to tell him. And when you when you humiliate a man like Laris Strong, that's just dumb. That's just dumb. Don't publicly humiliate that guy, because you know that's just not someone you don't want on your side. I totally, so, very smartly, Laris went to Agon and withheld his milk of the poppies so that he could have a talk with him. And now he's got in the alliance with Agon, so it is great.
Speaker 3: Happens. Yeah, so the key so surprisingly, I am actually surprised a lot of people complain to be able to kiss.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so Missaria and and and uh Rania wind up kissing, and they were getting to that point fairly. I thought it was I mean, I could see it coming.
Speaker 3: Well, the story is that it wasn't scripted, that it was kind of like it happened on the set kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't believe stories like that, because I mean, how can you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. Necessarily you're just going to start kissing someone.
Speaker 1: That would be considered, you know, sexual assault essentially in a modern film production, you don't just start doing stuff like that. No, in this day and age, where we have like, you know, coordinators for all sorts of intimacy.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that.
Speaker 3: I make a very good point.
Speaker 1: I think, I know that's not in the books, but I think Emma Darcy and I forget the exactly she was in Crazy Rich Asians. She played the crazy bride. I know, I think they have so much chemistry that it was impossible not to have this scene happen. Every time they were together. I could see it. I was like, well, I don't, I don't know if they're going to go in that direction. But these two have insane hot chemistry. It does make for a nice well first off Game of Thrones. That whole series franchise has not been great about portraying queer people, so.
Speaker 3: Unless they're dying or dead, you know.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, Missari is not someone I fully trust. I don't think she's all that trust. No, I wouldn't trust her at all. But I thought the scene was powerful. I thought it made perfect sense to me. It was just about it just made sense.
Speaker 3: I mean they're, yeah, they're kind of like friends now in a way, and they're you know, sharing things. Yeah, she and Massari shared her story, right. Yeah. I wasn't shocked or anything.
Speaker 2: No, No, could I be shocked. I mean, I'm a gay man that doesn't.
Speaker 3: But it's shocked in terms of character development.
Speaker 2: I felt that it was coming. Yeah, I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: I don't, Like I said, I'm pretty sure none of that's in the books, So I really don't know what that's going to mean for their relationship going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have loved it if it's just just one thing type of thing, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's going to do you think one thing I do want to say, if that's the case, if they're developing her relationship, right, yeah, if they're developing a relationship with Missari, I think you should pay attention to Missaria's costumes because so far Missaria's costumes in Dragonstone are very plain, yes, and she looks like a servant. And I think if she becomes the lover, you're going to see something gorgeous, gorgeous costumes on her almost immediately, I bet you. By the end of the season, Missuria is going to be wearing much much nicer costumes.
Speaker 2: Aside from that, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I really hope they keep that relationship under wraps because you might get a bunch of men to support you as the queen, but they're not going to support you as you know two queens you know there are.
Speaker 3: Or are you having a relationship with a servant.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean exactly. So I really hope the two of them are smart about that. But I think Missuria is that girl ain't dumb.
Speaker 3: No, she's not dumb, and so no Misunu, hopefully I'm pronouncing her name correctly. She's phenomenal she is love her love.
Speaker 1: No one in this cast that I don't like. And we've talked before about how Game of Thrones had some problematic cast members. But I think everybody's doing a great job on this cast.
Speaker 3: No, they're all great. Uh you know, unlike the Lord of the Rings. This everyone everyone is very Ring of Power. I mean the Rings of Power, Rings of Power. No, my god, the doors a ring the previous show God, Game of Thrones. Sorry, I'm terrible with names people. Game of Thrones had a lot of untalented people who lasted too long anyway, but at this time they made sure everyone, you know, it's capable of doing the job.
Speaker 2: So I agreat. I don't think I have anything else to say about it to youal.
Speaker 3: No, no, But yeah, I'm I'm listen. I like I said, every now and then, I'm not gonna lie. I get a little frustrated because I'm like, all right, I don't know who this person is, and you know, it gets a little bit frustrated. But everything I was so great. The performance is, the costumes, it's inematography, everything about the show is so great that yeah, I keep watching it.
Speaker 2: All right, Then I think that's it for us. This week.
Speaker 1: We'll be back next week with whatever crosses our eyes across our desk. Until then, take care of yourself, love you mean it.
Speaker 3: Bye bye bye