Speaker 1: Yo, he like a dummy bit. It's the internet. You're busy.
Speaker 2: Let's do this for October second, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grubb. Today, Nintendo says you have a nice emulator. Here would be a shame if something happened to it. But first, please join me and welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jason Bonelli. Everybody, Jason, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I am tired, just still getting over We had a family vacation in Walt Disney World last week. In fact, you reached out to see if I wanted to be on the show last week. Yep, while I was in line for Rise of the Resistance. I want to thank you for making that weight a little more palatables. Eight times can be rough. Yep. Now I'm just still getting over it. A big trip with a lot of family. At one point at one of the character christ we had thirty one people in our party. Wow, eight of them eight years or younger. Wow. It was It was quite a quite an adventure, but we had fun, with a lot of fun. We did basically everything we wanted to do. And the house is feeling it today. Got some sore throats upstairs, my wife's laid out. But hey, that's that's that's what mickeys Mickey's House does to you, right.
Speaker 1: That's what Mickey's all about. Absolutely communical and diseases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that's right. And then on Q I go on vacation and the game industry just dumps a bunch of news on us, and I'm trying to frantically following it from my from my hotel room. Great job, by the way, on waving your hand and summoning the state of play. If I want to give you a problem for that.
Speaker 2: Still, I got Jim's e here, talked him. He appreciates right, Yeah, and I still he oh sure, he retired now he controls it from the shadows. Everybody, Come on, fine, pay attention, wake up sheep.
Speaker 3: Jim Luminati or whatever that pun would.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm feeling good. I'm ready to talk some news with you. And like I said in the pre show, I think we're gonna get some angry Jeff today. That's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not happy with my friends over at Nintendo, you know, and not just as an inmate. In general, I not happy with them. Yeah, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with. Nintendo has reportedly shut down Ryo Jinks, the switch emulator that was supposedly immune. This is from Sean Hollister at The Verge. Nintendo may have just won its battle to put the most popular Nintendo switch emulators out of business. In March, it sued Yuzu out of existence, and now it may have convinced Yuzu's primary competitor, Rio Jinks to go away too. Rio Jinks's download page is now empty. It's gethub page is gone, and the emulator's Twitter, social media page and official discord now contains a possible explanation. Nintendo got to its lead developer and convinced them to shut the project down for good yesterday gd This is a quote here. Yesterday g d k Chan was contacted by Nintendo and offered an agreement to stop working on the project, remove the organization and all related assets he's in control of. And that's from a moderator and developer, rinpin Perry Perry on discord while waiting the confrom it. Yeah, just so, of course. Yeah, they're always Rinpined Perry Perry out there doing their thing while awaiting confirmation on whether he would take this agreement. The organization has been removed, so I think it's safe to say what the outcome is. The rest of pen Perry Perry's message is a eulogy for the project, including a pair of videos showing the reujincs team's progress on iosn Android ports of the Nintendo Switch Emulator, among other core changes, ones that will now presumably never ship. Nintendo would not confirm or deny to the Verge that it made a deal with the developer instead, Nintendo spokesperson Eddie Garcia mysteriously pointed to the Entertainment Software Association's head of Public Affairs, Aubrey Quinn, who said she then couldn't speak on behalf of Nintendo. So the run around is what happened there. Compared compared to u Zu Ryu, Jinks was thought to be relatively untouchable. Rumor had it that lead developer GdK Chan was based in emulation friendly Brazil, though I never found proof of that when reporting on the plate of the emulator world earlier this year. Certainly we never heard about a lawsuit against Ria Jinks, Nor did Nintendo go after its discord server or DMCA, its GitHub or its gethub as we saw with other switch emulators. A lot of this is generally speaking, broadly speaking, emulators are legal.
Speaker 1: They a it's a legal piece of software.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of reasons why that that is the case, including settled court cases from like two thousand. I think the thinking goes back to like when x eighty six, when a bunch of computers were like, hey, we're going when Windows is like, hey we are IBM compatible, that sort of thing. A lot I think a lot of the thinking goes all the way back to that in general, but broadly speaking, emulators are legal, which is why Nintendo didn't directly threaten to sue here, and honestly, it's why Nintendo didn't directly threaten to sue Yuzuo about emulation. They were saying, hey, your your Patreon and stuff makes references to Nintendo owned IP, so we're suing you for copyright infringemen. Now, all that said, Nintendo could still sue, and they probably could build a case saying hey, no, the copyright protection that we have inside of the switch is different, and it's actually impossible to make an emulator without violating our copyright or something along those lines that you know, there's new rules all the time that could be so could be made into precedent in court. But broadly speaking, and the way Nintendo's behaving suggests that even Nintendo seems to think that emulators are legal regardless of where GdK Chan lives, which is why they went to him and said I went to them and said, hey, wouldn't be nice if you just shut this thing down instead of us suing you, which seems to be like, we don't know if that's exactly how it went could have been cash, because they could have gave him cash. They could have I mean, but it's like, at that point, if they're going to give them cash, why not just buy the emulator or outright and own It doesn't seem like that's what happened here. Instead, you know, it's an open source project.
Speaker 1: Whatever. They could still buy the work.
Speaker 2: It seems like what they did here was throw their weight around because they don't want this thing to exist, regardless of its legal right for it.
Speaker 1: To exist, and it's thuggish behavior it is.
Speaker 2: I find it pretty despicable because Nintendo, all these companies, they don't respect their own past in a lot of ways. We get their museum, and as much as I find that museum fascinating, it's not like, hey, we're preserving beta versions of games and showing you all that stuff. It's like, no, here's a bunch of toys to play with. So who does that work? The people who make emulators, and Nintendo doesn't want them to exist because they view it as some kind of vague threat to their business, even though they're making more money than ever every year.
Speaker 1: I find this very frustrating. Frustrating. Jason, how about.
Speaker 3: You and I'm I'm curious why now, Like, what is it about now that they've decided this year is the year they're going to start going after all these switch emulators. Is it because they're afraid that this software between switch and switch to is so close that maybe they can just update it to switch to immediately and have that out faster than the switch emulators. I don't understand it, but I agree with you. I feel like this is really hampering people who just want to play the games they like to play, however they want to play them. The people who are who are you know, maybe either don't trust the switch, Like I have a Launch switch and I don't know how much longer it's going to last. So if I had the ability to play games on the switch elsewhere through the emulator, especially if I own the games already and it's not like I'm just downloading games I don't own, that's piracy. He can't do that, right, No, not at all. If I have a physical copy of a game and I want to play it on Steam Deck, let's say, or the Lenovo leedia Go, I should be allowed to do that. I bought the game, I should be able to play it. However, I want, but Nintendo or whatever reason that we'll probably never understand, doesn't seem to think that way. And I'm curious if if the new president, Doug Bowser, has sort of like got his fingers in this too, because again, I feel like since he has taken over the ship, I've heard a lot more stories of Nintendo getting litigious. So I'm genuinely wondering if maybe he has some or he has some sort of knowledge that he's maybe it starts at the top, I don't know, But again I agree with you. I think people they weren't doing anything illegal. They were doing something that the company doesn't like, and the company was basically just finding loopholes to stop it without directly saying you know, we think this is you know, illegal, when it's not, as you said, because they have to find all these workarounds, all these side routes. I don't think that they find that emulation is illegal either. Yeah, I mean it has to go these separate routes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The lawyers, of course, are going to present the strongest case whenever they can, and if it's not directly about suing the existence of emulation, it's because they don't think that's a strong case.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there's a lot of speculation that a lot of the recent moves from Nintendo which have a similar tenor to them of going after retro game course something we talked about for you know, showing the MiG switch and now not just going after that video, going after kind of anything that might like even veer in that direction from retro game core YouTuber who does a lot of stuff about classic or a retro gaming devices that come from China and stuff like that. They don't get them from those videos, but they did get them for one that was like showing what to do with your we you now and how to hack that up. Even though we you not a going concern for Nintendo in any real way, Nintendo has given that channel to copyright strikes. People think, Okay, Nintendo seems to be amping up all of it's going after everybody with its law firm, you know, it's internal law firm, because they're getting ready to launch the Switch to, and the Switch to very likely going to be very reliant on the continuation of the Switch library backward compatibility, and so Nintendo, I think, is like we want the games that have sold on Switch to continue to sell on switch to and with minimal, you know, input from us in terms of updating them or representing them as switch to games. And the best way to do that is for people to believe like this is the one and only way to play these things and whatever. Protecting their market is their right to a certain extent. It's just like when then they come around and be like, well, these emulators exist and that's a problem for us, and so okay, that's your problem. These things are are legal and should be allowed to exist, and they also provide long term preservation that I'm interested in. And you are destroying this scene because of anxieties that you've built up that that that might not actually be a problem, because again it seems like your products sell just fine. Regardless of the instance of the things we're going to pull today is going to be have you used Yuzu or Reo Jinx. I bet that the number replies saying yes is actually going to be surprisingly small. We'll see, maybe it'll be higher for this audience. But even so, we can look at the numbers of how games sell and to see how Nintendo games perform, and it does not like looking at them at them on the surface relative to everyone else selling video games. If you like only had that data, you'd be like, well, Nintendo must have no emulators. There must be no emulators for these things, and no way to play these games pirate because everyone's buying these games. They're buying Mario Kart over and over and over again. What's going on here? So it's hard to empathize with Nintendo's position here because it's so strong and it is and again it is going to someone who is probably doing something that is legally protected and saying we might who cares, We might still sue you, and that would suck for you, So just stop it or else we're going to get mad at you and make your life a hell and that continues to suck, and switch too comes out or not, Like Nintendo does not need to behave this way to protect this successive switch to right.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. As you said, the people are going to be emulating games that have already sold fifty million copies. And if they're made at people for emulating Mario Kart eight Deluxe on their PC, why like how much is it worth one or two more sales? Like how much? How much ringing of the wet towel. Are you doing here or do you think you need to do? Is it it? Just it becomes this more universal like line must go up philosophy that the world seems to have adopted now must always go up, when in reality, games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart and Tears of the Kingdom, and those games are the top of the list of the switch sales chart are not clearly not affected by the fact that people can emulate them because people are still buying them. I now, I come from this as someone who doesn't use emulators, not because I don't want to, but because most of the time I can't figure them out. But that doesn't mean I don't think they should exist. Like, if that's how you want to play your game, it's how you should be able to play a game, especially, like I said earlier, if you have the physical game in your collection.
Speaker 2: Right right, and there's there are there are laws against people downloading games that you like.
Speaker 1: That is DMCA violation. Even if you own the game.
Speaker 2: You can't download game because you can't transfer stuff over the Internet that is copyrighted. That is doucing a copy of something that is specifically copyright infringement.
Speaker 1: But if you back up your own stuff. Whatever.
Speaker 2: I recognize that people are using these things for piracy and that's and that is what they're worried about here, but again that there are Okay, use the laws available to you to do something about that, and they have. They've shut down a bunch of rohms sites, and they've had the SRB going after the long running ROM compilation libraries, and so I also hate that, but whatever, I get that that is their right, and that is you know, you can't host a bunch of ROMs from Nintendo on the website without violating the law. And if Nintendo decides to come after you, well there's not much we could do in that case. But it's like, I thought we were respecting that, and so when it came to emulation, they would have to kind of let something go and be like, Okay, well we can't do anything about the emulator itself, but we can fight piracy. And I'm like, okay, I'm I have accepted that. I know a lot of people don't love that, and I don't love it, but I've accept that. Them crossing this line just feels like, Okay, they must be trying to get super aggressive so they can kind of clear the landscape of any suggestion of hey, maybe we should get together make a start working on an emulator for switch to. I think that'll be a lot of people that might have thought that will be a lot more hesitant, at least, like the top of the line people who were very good at building Dolphin and then and then Simu and then Uzoo and Reu drinks, those people have now been scared away largely. And that's I think it's exactly what Nintendo wants is for them to clear the runway for the switch to and reset the clock in such a hard way that it will that the creation of a switch to emulator will take that much longer. Now will it actually take that much longer, We'll see, because you know, all all in all likelihood, it is going to be sort of a follow up to the switch hardware. It will be more powerful, It will be like a new generation. They will have to do some stuff to get switch games to run on the switch to because it will be so much more advanced and a different generation. But the lineage they will probably make it so something that is a successor to use you will very easily be able to run switch too. But again, Nintendo is. I think that's what they're worried about, and what all of these decisions have been about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're they're stopping active development, they're stopping the current distribution, but the ones that have already been distributed are still out there, so all those source files, all that stuff is still available to the people who are developing them. And yeah, when Switch two comes out, to Zoo might not be very far behind and they just try and do it all over again. Yeah, this whole thing sucks. It does suck. And for some people, you know again piracy and all that, but maybe this is the only way they can try a Switch game, and maybe they, I don't know what the stats are, day try a Switch game this way and go buy their own switch and get the game anyway.
Speaker 2: So one day it definitely will be true, this will be the only way to play games from most of these will exist because you know, even if even if you can find a which though they they'll probably be very expensive or broken down. And you're a kid growing up in a place that doesn't have easy access to this stuff and you want to learn about games, and twenty five years from now, the emulator will be the way to do that, and that's the way it has been and should be in my opinion, and Nintendo is specifically throwing roadblocks into that process, which I think is not something. Obviously a lot of that stuff is not legally enshrined when it comes to technically piracy, but the emulation side, for the most part, broadly speaking, was and the fact that Nintendo doesn't respect that makes me lose respect for Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Not that like I was going around with like deep respect for this corporation.
Speaker 2: I like their games, I like the people that make them, but as a corporation they have been ruthless and it is embarrassing I think.
Speaker 3: Recently ruthless too, which again ruthless. Yeah, it's it's like I said, frustrating.
Speaker 2: But they're going to make it up to everybody because game Boy Advanced Nintendo Switch Online adds F zero GP Legend and F zero Climax on October eleventh. This is from Sal Ramano at Gamatsu. Game Boy Advanced Nintendo Switch Online will add F zero GP Legend and F zero Climax on October eleventh. F zero GP Legend first launched on November twenty eight to two thousand and three in Japan, followed by June fourth, two s and four in Europe and September twenty two, that's four in North America. F zero Climax first launched in October two thousand and four in Japan and was not released in the Western world, so this will be the first time it is released in on me get the headlines. Sure, I'll turn the headlines on for y'all if you really want it.
Speaker 1: That is the.
Speaker 2: I've played these on emulation, actually specifically specifically.
Speaker 1: Climax because it never came out here.
Speaker 2: They're pretty good games, but they also I think they signify what is going on with F zero in terms of they kind of ran out of steam with the ideas and thought like, Okay, maybe we'll just kind of base one of these on the anime and and that will get people back into it, and they kind of trailed off, and then that led to us not getting a new F zero game until F zero ninety nine, which is fantastic. But yeah, this is in the fifty dollars Nintendo Expansion Tier, and I don't think it's going to do too much for too many people, but I'm glad they're there.
Speaker 3: What do you think I think that? Sorry? To be distracted, but she Nolan just gave me an emote and that is an honor.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look at that.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that. Holy shit, I'm gonnactually cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I want to know if are they are they does a Switch run this on emulation? I'm genuinely curious. Switch runs zero games. That's the Game Boy Advance simulators is what they use. Yes, and Nintendo would certainly like they make their own stuff a lot of times, most of the time when it comes to emulation, and they have all the documentation and they have very good engineers. Nintendo Europe Research and Development I think does a lot of that work. But it wouldn't surprise me if the people that are very much into building emulators from Nintendo are part of a wider community of people who've learned this stuff over time and come from a seedier side of all that in terms of where they got their start. So yes, all and also too, I love how they're doing everything they can, with the exception of ninety nine, to give us F zero without giving us a new modern, you know, buckoo crazy F zero type game. Now when the switch to finally gets announced, that's something that they announced with it, I will eat my hat, but I'm not wearing But yeah, it seems like they're just giving us all this F zero stuff and not giving us a new zero, which is what people actually want.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was definitely like wanting a new F zero zero ninety nine, not the new, big budget looking F zero game that I think I thought I wanted. But F zero ninety nine is so good that I'm like, you know what, that is enough for me. But yeah, people did point out that asually in the past, We'll like to play into your joke, Nintendo has gotten some of the ROMs it's used in its collections and on some of these services and like on virtual console by downloading them from the internet basically illegally, Like Nintendo actually broke the law a little bit, because I think you can make an argument that they actually broke the law even though they owned the copyright for that, still that those transfer of doing that was not okay. I like F zero whatever. In terms of the Game Boy Advance Library on Nintendo Switch Online, there's obviously some more stuff I wouldn't want one on there, but I've kind of lost the lust for it because Nintendo does not seem to be working with many, very many third parties on this project anymore so, and when they do, it's like, you know, Majesco and Jalico and and them over and over. By the time Game Boy Advance was around, they weren't putting out a ton of games to my memory. So it's like, Okay, I'm I don't really have that much excitement around Nintendo Switch Online drops anymore.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that library overall?
Speaker 3: I I it's too damn slow, Like I feel like they release game like I want to be more excited about it, but they are drip feeding these games on there. Like I get emails, I get the Nintendo press releases of what they're adding to Nintendo Switch Online, and it reminds me that the Nintendo Switch Online library even exists because I forget uh and a lot of the times there are games that like, I didn't play on the Super Nintendo as a kid, so I have no nostalgia four now like who And no offense to anyone in the chat who may respond, you know, who would be mad at me for this, but who asked for tough enough on the Super Nintendo, who asked for that, asked for that? But so like, give us I need more games to hook me in from this, Like what like the we Shop channel? I missed, the guy, I missed the we Shop channel so much, don't you? Oh yeah, yes, I mean absolutely, we Shop Wednesdays. That video welcome to we Shop Wednesdays and twenty twenty four everyone, uh Like I miss that. I miss just being able to go in and buy the retro game that I want and then you know, if there was one that I hadn't played in a long time, I could just spend my WEE points on the card that I got from work because I worked at a certain gaming related retailer for five years and then went home and downloaded the stuff, and that was that. It was a good time. It was a good time. Now we have we are dependent and once again they're controlling the the the preservation, I guess would be the word I'm looking for. They're telling us, yeah, we'll give you these games for free, but we'll tell you what games you're going to get for free. You're not going to have any choice in the matter. We're not going to make them separately available to people who don't have the online maybe for a separate fee. Now we are going to tell you which retro games that you want to have nostalgia for on this particular month. And I do mean month, because that's how that's how off they end them out once a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if that's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like what the hell? Oh, man, give me give me the Like, what am I going to do to play Mace the Dark Age again? I I'm the only one who wants to tell I can tell.
Speaker 2: You what you need to do, and it's it's not using the Nintendo Switch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's where that's where I'm at with this stuff, is I personally do want to play these games. Often I am. I go back and forth about whether I want to be a collector. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on that stuff. So I'm like, yeah, I'm emulating, and I point people like and like, if you really care about this stuff, that's still the answer. And so Nintenna Switch Online is something I forget about these days until something like this happens and they drop something and it's like, okay, let's look at this again. It's like, Okay, I guess I'm glad these games are there for the very casual audiences that maybe are subscribed and check in on this stuff and want to have some glimpse at the history. But if anyone does have a more robust taste than that for for retro games, the switch is not the answer and it's it's exactly what you said the drip feed. They are not working with a lot of third party partners. There's a lot of obvious big omissions do doo, Nintendo not wanting to do two not do doo due to Nintendo not wanting to pay money to like Square Enix.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I hope that part of this sort of sputtering out of Nintendo Switch Online is part of everything that it feels like you can attribute Nintendo's current situation too, and that is well, once Switch Too is around, they will reinvigorate this and they will maybe settle down on all their lawsuits. But I'm not getting my hopes of Jason. I don't know what do you think?
Speaker 3: Neither am I? And I'm excited for the next drop to be from the veritable Nintendo developer LJN because everybody loves those games. Of course, Yeah, no I don't.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 3: I almost don't want this anymore, like or if you're going to do this, have the the we shop retro store sort of thing with it, to give me the option to buy the things you don't want to put on or that are too expensive, to partner with them to make them free, if that's what's happening, and then give me the opportunity to maybe buy them for a small fee on the side. Yep, I don't know. I preservation to me, and as you've made clear, is far too important to be treated like this. Yeah, both in the first story that we talked about at now this one, and I just it's it's depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where I'm like, we had the equilibrium before this. Okay, Nintendo, you're not gonna be the ones I'm gonna look to for this sort of preservation, just like all these other corporations. I don't think you're some outlier here. In fact, maybe you're on aggregate a little bit better than some of these other corporations when it comes to preserve in your history.
Speaker 1: Whatever. It's still not good enough, So fine, we will. We'll do it ourselves. And there's a community out there doing themselves.
Speaker 2: And now Nintendo is running in a wrecking ball through that and it's yeah, it sucks. It sucks, and I will I mean, and you know for all this Heyrio Jinks and you who have been shut down, you're gonna be able to find those emulators online. You could still find another Metrod to remake something Nintendo shut down very quickly after it released. You could find that online and stuff that. There's there's ways can you continue to find these things?
Speaker 1: They just go.
Speaker 2: Underground if they get updated, it's by entirely new teams. There's forks of all these projects. Nintendo's not going to really be able to stop it, which is why it's like, yeah, no, they're running a wrecking ball and just creating chaos so that it feels more difficult for more people.
Speaker 1: And so it's like if.
Speaker 2: Ten percent of gamers are like I get this emulation stuff, Look how easy it is. I could just install mu deck on my Steam Deck and it's just going to install reujinks for me, and then I just got to provide this code in this code. Okay, I'll watch a YouTube video. I could do that once they make it. So okay, well, now for m you Deck, you've got to provide your own reuginks and go out there it's like, okay, well that number drops from ten percent of gamers to now maybe five percent of gamers that feel comfortable doing that. That's a huge number of people, and that's what the Nintendo's just playing that numbers game, trying to maximize them the number of people that feel like they have.
Speaker 1: To go to Nintendo to get their games, which is what they want. Yeah, all right, let's see here, let's take a quit break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, Nintendo apparently is to thank for a new Professor Layton game. We have some more info about ub soft and white it delayed Assassin's Creed Shadows and more.
Speaker 1: Right after this there.
Speaker 2: It is, yes, all right, perfect and he's got it. The hat on everyone, welcome back to the show. Jason did get his emot and the EMO was of him wearing the hat from from the the Was this the show you were in or is this the course?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, it's the Barbershop Quartet, Yes, yeah, from back in April.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, there you go. Well it's and if.
Speaker 3: You thought that costume was good, and this year in April, we're doing the Wizard of Oz, so things go my way, my kid, little cowardly.
Speaker 1: Up and here. Yeah, let's go. I would have guessed them like that would be awesome. All right, let's get into this.
Speaker 2: Level five CEO implies Nintendo is to thank for Professor Layton's comeback. This is from Jim Norman at Nintendo Life. Professor Layton and the New World of Steam was one of the big biggest surprise at announcements of twenty twenty three. While the return of Level five's polite Professor might have felt like a no brainer to some, it appears that the studio was initially hesitant about a comeback, that is, until a certain big until until certain big names in the industry started pushing for it. That is according to Level five CEO Akahiro Heino, who in a recent Tokyo Game show chat with Dragon Quest's Yuchi Hori, confessed that the team was content to leave the Layton series alone after it had reached a beautiful conclusion. However, Heino continues certain figures from the industry push for the game, including a mysterious company in Now, who do we think that could be? Yeah, it's probably Nintendo. I think here's how you put it. Certain individuals from the industry really wanted us to release a new game. We had a strong push coming from company in when I heard these opinions, I started think it would be good to make a new game so that fans could enjoy the series at the level of quality provided by.
Speaker 1: The latest consoles.
Speaker 2: And it's you know, after seeing that trailer for Professor Layton and the the New World Esteem, it really does feel like they're taking advantage of having more power and kind of making it look like a modern game in a lot of ways, especially in terms of the quality of the animations and all that stuff. And it just looks robust compared to the DS games. And I would have been fine with here's something that looks exactly like the DS games, but now it's on Switch and it seems like they're doing a lot more than that. So very cool. I'm a big Professor Layton fan. I like those games a lot. I was excited about this, so I'm glad it's making a return. I do wonder it's like, why does Nintendo want it back? Like maybe they just like it too. I don't know, it's interesting. What do you think.
Speaker 3: It's some weird whiplash in these stories today? Man, just do we like Nintendo? Do we hate it's a moral.
Speaker 2: A corporation that could that once our money, and I'll treat them as such. That's kind of how I want to figure. But no, I am with you on this.
Speaker 3: I think that these games still have a place, and I think the company n here, the obvious captain n let's call them, may have been so pushy for it because there was a time back when the first came out that Professor Leeton was like anonymous with the DS. Yes, right, yeah, yes, they were hand in hand together. So if they can maybe recreate that on switch or switch to and say you can only play these this sort of puzzle game, maybe it takes advantage of the switch tech in ways that it took advantage of the DS tech back then, then yes, I could absolutely see why Nintendo would think that's an important part of their third party portfolio. I am also a huge fan the third game, Unwound Future I think is the name of it, one of many, one of a ever growing list of games that actually made me shed a tear at the end of that when he says I can't go back again, I can't. I won't. I'm just like, yo, man, Professor, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Pat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those games are great. I love the puzzles. I love the I love I love It's just as fun to watch the story play out as it is to gather the puzzles, Like when you go through and you see that you missed one and I'm like, oh, yeah, where is this puzzle? Can't every single and you're just tapping away and making sure that you find every puzzle. I love that part of it too, the collection part of it. And yeah, I think there's definitely still a place if he know here needed a someone to talk him up with Professor Layton. He didn't need a company to do it. He could have just came to me. Yeah, I would buy every single one of them. Professor Layton versus Phoenix, right, let's not forget was a phenomenal crossover. Talk about something that needs a re remaster. Both of those games coming together in a way that represented both of them very well. Need that to come out. But anyway, back on Professor Layton, Yeah, just a place for it. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: I'm just sorry. I think there's a place for it.
Speaker 2: And I think what probably happened here is if I start thinking about the time, the timeline and like where Nintendo was at when this game probably started, it was, you know, midway through the Switch, and I think around that time Nintendo was like, Okay, we've had a lot of growth, we said, a lot of switches, and we want to keep that going.
Speaker 1: What can we do?
Speaker 2: And around that time Nintendo was looking around and being like, you know, maybe we should broaden the appeal, try to make more stuff for women and older gamers again to a certain extent like we did with the in the past, and where do we have success with that? What with the WE and with the DS and on the DS we did that touch generations, generation stuff, and I think Nintendo probably looked at it and saw, hey, the professor Layton games were kind of this. They touched all all demographics, like but men and women liked it, children liked it, All kinds of age groups enjoyed those games. It has a very wide appeal, and so we want something like that to be part of this initiative to have the Switch have a very a varied library of games and that coul contribute to it.
Speaker 1: So I bet that was part.
Speaker 2: Of what they were thinking, is like they were looking, hey, what is a roster of third party games that we wish could come back on the switch. That would help us make that appeal to different kinds of gamers. And I think Professor Layton's once like, well, it will appeal to gamers gamers like Professor Layton, but it will appeal to everybody else. And I think they're probably right about that. Whether or not it's gonna be able to recapture the magic it had during a DS, I don't know, but I'm glad it exists because I want to play it right.
Speaker 3: That would depend on, again, how they utilize the switch tech. I think how the puzzles that you're solving, maybe you're moving the switch around or maybe you know that's that's the kind of thing that is most dependent on how well this thing will sell. But if they want to keep mining the puzzle slash mystery, well, they can go into their own portfolio and bring back Kyle Hyde because it's high time we see Hotel Dusk again too. That's just me.
Speaker 1: I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it doesn't seem like I bet they like look at stuff like that occasionally, and that that might have been what led them to do Famicom mystery novels.
Speaker 3: But the Club Detective.
Speaker 2: Club, and they're like Okay, we want to like again, have a different kind of game for a different kind of person and this can fit into that. And they're like, well, okay, maybe we can also do Hotel Desk and like, oh, well, we're gonna do the Famicom Detective Club. Do we have anyone that could work on Hotel Desk? It's like, man, ever, developer's busy. So I think that's a lot of times I think these games aren't in a lineup for consideration, and what stops them from getting made is do we have anyone that can actually do it? And uh, And then that's why I think that's why that they would like start looking around to third party partners. But it wouldn't it be cool if if you over there their Level five brought back Professor Layton Because they can just say that, and then now this other team's got to do all the work and someone else has to pay for it.
Speaker 1: I bet Nintendo loves that part of it.
Speaker 2: Ubisoft developers pushed for Assassin's Creed Shadows delay. This is from Blair Marnell at GameSpot. Until late last month, Assassin's Creed Shadows was slated to be released in November of this year. Ubisoft subsequently made the surprise announcement that the game had been delayed to early next year, but according to a new report, this was far from a surprise to UBI Soft Quebec, the studio behind Shadows. The developers have reportedly been pushing for a delay for months. Ubisoft's announcement stated that shadows new release date was implemented to give the developers more time to polish the gameplay, and because the company wanted to apply the lessons it learned from Star Wars Outlaws. Disappointing rollout that game is apparently and reportedly only sold a million copies in its first month. Insider Gamings report states that both of those reasons are true, but adds further context by stating Assassin's Creed Shadows is currently not at a stage it needs to be for release. So we've heard this a bunch of times. It's very buggy, apparently, and the people working on it know that better than anyone, and we're asking for more time. I think they just don't want to be in another embarrassing situation where Assassin's Creed becomes the poster child for here is a gift of a face not loading and a couple more months should be able to help with that. You know, it's definitely something we've seen and heard before that a couple more months can get these bugs squash. Talked to Jason Schreyer on BombCast yesterday, double checking, like is that that's true right when you talk developers, like, yeah, it's enough time for that sort of thing. Although notably, the game is still in this fiscal year before March, so they do want to still get it out when they can put it on this year's you know, top line to help out that bottom line when they make that report in you know, June or whatever. Okay, they get the bug squashed and this game comes out, it's pretty decent. They can have a pretty big hit on their hands here, right, because this seems like a game though most people, if they're not weird, seem to want.
Speaker 3: I agree, most people who are not weird want to play this game. I'm one of them. I've wanted the sassag Scree Japan forever. I am weird, but not that weird. It's right, here's the problem. They have another problem. February twenty twenty five is loaded. It's absolutely bonkers loaded. So do they push it again? A month to March kind of clear the way since they've already pused it once, you push it one more time for some final bug squashing or bug testing, and they get it out in March instead. I don't know how loaded March is right now. It could be, it could be just as busy an app.
Speaker 2: I'm just not remembering a lot of people will still be feeling the brunt of paying a lot of money in February for multiple games that they want, so not more March is going to be that much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you have to wonder how many people are going to be using I mean, Assassin's Creed is a legacy franchise, a legacy franchise in this day and age. It does have a lot of dedicated fans, so maybe it could stick out, But I don't I worry. I worry about that. It's to be careful what you wish for a situation. You got it, you got the delay, you got the delay to to squash the bugs. But now you're, you know, standing among other giant releases, and what do you do to make yourself stand out? And that I think is their biggest challenge now. If they're confident in their game, and they get the bug squashed then, and they think they can make Valentine's Day work. Power to them. I would love to see it come out on Valentine's Day. Pun absolutely intended, But I I don't know, don't I don't, I don't know. I'm more worried about the timing of the release now than I am about the bugs being squashed, because, as you said, this is enough time to be able to do that. It's it's worrying for this particular game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think this is something that Jason said yesterday as well, and it's definitely something I think we've heard before in other like kind of whispery reports that.
Speaker 1: This game set.
Speaker 2: Internally, they they're pretty happy with the quality. They think they have a pretty good game here. And again I feel ripe and primed for this game to take off if they can just nail the basics, kind of have some fun, fun handful of fun new things, and then the setting and the characters crush it, which I think it could. And again, we know there's the weirdos that will try to throw a spoke into the wheels, and they've seem to successfully have done that a couple of times this year, or maybe just like they are alongside some other stuff that is causing some of these games to crash and burn, like Star Wars Outlaws, for example. And I think there's probably that's way more complicated than just some people were weird about that one, and I think it's you know, you'd be self needs of God.
Speaker 1: They need to win, right, they need to dub you real bad.
Speaker 2: And if this one doesn't work out, things are looking grammar for that company than ever.
Speaker 3: And this is like they're one of their flagship, if not the flagship franchises they have now. So if they're top of the line Triple A franchise, the one that they're based they've hung their hat on since Assassin's Creed two, let's say, comes out and does not perform commercially or critically, they might not be able to hold off those takeovers for much longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean so yep. And it's even though the board of directors which.
Speaker 2: Launched a a investigation of the company, and even though many of them are part of the Guimo family, it is they will do everything they can to stand in the way of true change, which maybe uves Gimo stepping down and that family stepping back, but it's still a publicly, publicly traded company. There will still be pressure from investors. And it feels like a lot of that stuff's coming to a head. And it really what it feels like, it's like a damn about to break, is the family has stood in the way of investors requesting change for a long time, and now that pressure is built up to a point where they might not be able to stop it, and change might come sweeping through that company. And who who steps in that can like wield this massive entity with all of these studios around the world and can truly understand that. That's something where I've always pointed to, Like, for all their problems, and there are many of them, these can most seems to understand how this publisher works as a giant beast with a studio in Singapore and multiple studios in Canada and multiple studios in France and the rest of Europe, and how to get them to work in concert. And there's value to that, which is why they've been able to stay in power at that publisher for so long. And then if that changes, BOYD, does you can you even really survive? And even if it does, what does it look like on the other side, is it familiar to what we've had for twenty thirty forty years now?
Speaker 1: Maybe not?
Speaker 3: No, maybe maybe it's xboxes and next the technical sitch boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, I hope not all right.
Speaker 2: Canceled Halo Battle Royale details reportedly leaked online. This is from Dennis Patrick at game Ranks. Plenty of hype surrounds the Halo ip, despite some players not being thrilled by the last couple of releases.
Speaker 1: Halo and Fit's a good nick game. Everybody just go play it. It's fun.
Speaker 2: It's hopeful that the next game will deliver another thrilling release. However, while we wait for the details about where three four to three Industries is taking the game franchise next, a new league has emerged highlighting the canceled Battle Royale games, the game mode for Halo Infinite. Thanks to Insider Gaming, we're finding out that a YouTube channel posted a video highlighting some new details. ReBs Gaming, which is kind of like a Halo channel, does a lot of stuff on Halo and several other games, but a lot of Halo stuff. ReBs Gaming posted a video that credits a source familiar with the project and what Project to Tanka would have featured. For those unaware, Project to Tanka was the name given in development for the Battle Royale experience. This is the one if people remember, that was being made really quickly after Halo Infone came out. It was being made by a different studio, and it was being made reportedly in Unreal Engine, and it was in the works for a while, and then it got canceled. It's noted that this game mode would have tied to the campaign narrative, where players would land on the map in odst drop pods. Yeah, that makes sense. There would have been a few fragments for players to battle within, each featuring biomes and cannons. The launch players over onto the fragments of the map. When players were not actively battling each other, objectives could be completed to unlock items and shields. It was also stated that once players were downed, they would become an AI bubble that could be revived. Additionally, a variety of vehicles would be dropped on the map for players to fight over. However, after some time, three four to three Industries decided to rework the game mode into something else, converting the name from Project to Taka to Project Eckert. That project was also eventually scrapped sometime last year in twenty twenty three, so three four three industries.
Speaker 1: Could focus on the next full real Halo installment. That's I mean, I would.
Speaker 2: Have liked to have seen a Halo Battle Royale, but for me, it was like I played Halo Infinite. I was on that map. It was an open world game that I was having a pretty okay time with. I thought the grappling hook and the movement was fun and getting into skirmishes. It's like, Oh, I get to play little games of Halo inside of this open world map. That's great for me. And then as you're going through the map, you can kind of see like they they could just have a Battle Royale in this place. That'd be cool. And then you find out like, well, no, they're not going to do that. There's another team making the Battle Royale and a different engine that won't be using this map. It's like, oh, okay, well, I get still wanting to do that, but is the appetite by the time you get done doing all that. Like if the Battle Royale mode had been ready to go very soon as part of the hype for Halo Infinite. It made a lot of sense to me. As a project coming much later that is going to be a separate install as part of the Halo Infinite launcher or whatever. It made a little bit less sense, and as time went on, maybe even less sense. And I can see how they're like, let's just try some stuff here. Okay, this this is not working. We need to go back and rethink Halo entirely. And now that's where they're at kind of tracks to me.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: No, I agree one hundred percent. I think now the Battle Royal genre is basically settled at this rate. Some people may try and do something different with it. But if you're on console, you're playing Fortnite, and if you're on mobile you're playing PUBG Mobile or even Kareena Free Fire. That's it. Those are the three Battle roreales. It has been decided. In my opinion, I'm ready to call it. So the fact that they were cognizant enough to call it and focus on the next Halo and let's talk about a franchise that needs a refresh, Holy moly, that's smart. I do think that's smarter them shout out to project to Tanka and whoever the early to mid nineties professional wrestling fan was the named that. I do appreciate that one. I like the idea of like jumping from different biomes and having different battles in each one, But then that's not a battle Royale anymore. Battle Reale is the open map that constricts into one place and forces everyone into a final showdown. But it doesn't sound like it sounds like they were trying to reinvent a wheel that was still being invented. Yeah, and that's why it kind of fell off and is now not coming. Yeah. I think this is a smart This was a smart decision, like a cognizant decision of three four to three. Again, if there was ever a IP that needs to refresh in the gaming sector, it is Halo. And honestly, if they went to got a war route and just did a single player narrative experience with and then had the Halo multiplayer on the side or as its own thing like Call of Duty, I think that because I think that's the strongest way to do this because Halo two, Halo three, even Halo four to an extent, and the original Halo, those stories were still fun. It's after like Halo five and things went off way off the rails, but like playing through those narrative, playing through those campaigns was just as fun to me as playing multiplayer. Yeah, and now that we're starting to realize that single player games can still be very successful with Boulders Game and Astro Bought different genres of course, but still single player focused, I'm hoping that there's a renewde focus on the Halo single player experience that can balance with the multiplayer like it used to or else we maybe the Halo is you know, master Chief just might be someone who pops up at other games from time to time, so you could say, hey, remember Halo. Yeah, I did not say nude focus, renewed focus.
Speaker 2: Chat chat chat chat loves to hear what they want to hear. They'll do that every time, do you.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that.
Speaker 2: I thought Halo Infinite was really close to having the open world stuff work. I think on its own, I would have given the open world single player campaign a four out of five. I thought it was a fun sandbox, and then the multiplayer was a five out of five. Fund Like, the amount of fun to actually play that mode was five out of five.
Speaker 1: To me, That.
Speaker 2: Regardless of how they supported it after that point, I know that's how we judge these things at this point. That's just not where That's not the world I come from, So I'm not I grew up in a different world playing games that just came out, and were those games. And it's like, do I enjoy playing this?
Speaker 1: Yes or no?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's not only that. I think it's awesome and a really good time in the best Halo shooter I've ever enjoyed. So for me, it was easy five out of five. So they have to like figure out what like how to like navigate that side of things of people how they estimate these games has changed, and it's become much more difficult to keep these fans happy over time. And is that even worth pursuing at this point, I don't know. And then on the single player side of things, yeah, I think you got to come back with a really strong take on the mix of Hey, I think you go back use that open world kind of idea again, do more of that. Just make sure when it turns back into that corridor shooter at the end, it's way more interesting than it was. That was definitely the thing that dripped it down and if that means some new ideas, take us some ideas from some of the other like you know, we'll look at what a what Titan Fall two was doing. You don't have to like ape that stuff, but kind of take Halo's perspective on some of these ideas and apply that to your shooter campaign. And there's definitely a world for that for a new Halo to come out every five years. Still, I think, you know, five to seven years.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: And I think they are right to abandon the Battle Royal because, as you said, like even like Beyond Call of Duty, you know, the war Zone and PUBG on mobile, and even PUBG is still massive on PC to a certain extent. Fortnite Apex Legends is massive. It's not growing, but it's massive. These things have taken all the oxygen out of the room, so they're not gonna be able to make that space work for them. And we don't people joked in chat, we don't need the Halo Extraction shooter, right, We don't need them chasing the next trend just so they could do the same thing and cancel that as well.
Speaker 3: Now back to basics, God of War did it, and then those games are great. Halo could do the same and just bringing that you know, early to mid two thousands franchise back into into prominence as well. Just needs to have a strong story, which again Halo five and at the end of Halo, but it didn't really have So.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right.
Speaker 2: The middle Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater producer has apologized to me specifically and said this is from Carl Garcia at game Ranks, apologizing for a lack of a release date. According to Twitter user Ginky Noriyanki Akimura, the producer of middle Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater, is apologizing to fans for the game's lack of a con concrete release date. According to Akamura, the studio doesn't want to make promises to fans that it cannot.
Speaker 1: Keep, but the devs are hard at work on the title.
Speaker 2: I needed this game to come out this year because Dan counterpicked it in Fantasy Critic, and if it comes out this year, he'll lose points because I'm sure it'll do pretty fine.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't look like it's going to work out that way.
Speaker 2: This game's coming out next year and we might not hear about its release date until sometime deep into next year. Who knows, what are your expectations for, like when we actually see this game.
Speaker 3: Or get to play Apology Holiday twenty twenty five, maybe late summer at the earliest. Of course, they could come out tomorrow and say hey, it's coming out in February, just like everything else. But no, I think this is going to be a fiscal year twenty twenty six release, and I think part of them knew that it always was going to be. I don't have twenty twenty five. Excuse me. I don't think they ever like they said coming this year, but I don't think they ever meant that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely said it on one side of their mouth and was like maybe out of the.
Speaker 3: Other it's coming this year, we promise, and then no. But that's fine, that's fine. It seems to be shaping up quite nicely. The demos from a Tokyo Game show looked quite well, quite good. It's a shame that Dan's not going to be able to lose those points on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I looked at he.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, but I think he deserves to win because of the top eleven games on.
Speaker 1: Open Critic, he has three of them.
Speaker 2: This year, he's got UFO fifty, Final Fantasy, Sevin Rebirth and Astrobot and Astrobot. I think it's not wowut fun and fan Fantasy is like number three or something like that, and then UFO fifty is number eleven. He just got the right games to win.
Speaker 1: He really did so.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean UFO fifty was an inspired choice. Like as soon as you got that, it was kind of all locked up. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: It's a battle for second now between me and Mike.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My the league I'm in with a couple of industry friends. Uh, I'm clawlling on to first. My projected I'm projected to win by one point zero two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's anyway the game.
Speaker 3: Ye, thanks to Bilotro and tech and eight and uh we do like we do one one slot. That's only seasonal games like the annual releases. Thank you w W for being good this year. Yeah, it's a it's a it's fantasy. Craik is great. But to get back into the actual topic at hands, sorry, I kind of worries.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Actually, let's just hit this lastor as we'll run out of time. League screenshots claiming to be from the next SIMS game, Project Renee. I have serviced and fans are in shambles over them, and I'll say, for good reason, it looks like dog shit. It looks bad.
Speaker 1: Let's see here.
Speaker 2: I'll show it to the video viewers. This is These are preset SIMS characters. And here's my initial like response, like, here's how I feel like when I look at them. It looks like if you took a person, a real person, turned them into a Funko pop and then turned them back into a person. That's what it looks like.
Speaker 1: It is bad.
Speaker 2: Now, what's what's gonna be very annoying here is you know they got it's the SIMS. They're gonna have all the diversity stuff in here, so we're gonna have a bunch of Cretans going up be like this is the EI.
Speaker 1: No, it's just bad art. It's just bad art.
Speaker 2: It just looks bad, especially like again you look compared it to like some of these games that are trying to do the the SIMS thing, but with like the wife Wu style, like the Enzoy game, and it's like super realistic and people are making characters look like Billie Eilish and it looks exactly like Billie Eilish, It's like, Okay, that's what the competition's doing, and so what are you doing over there at the sims for.
Speaker 1: Project Renee dog Ship It's bad. Yeah, yeah, it kind of looks like it has a clay mation look to it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, very very MTV Celebrity deathmatch looking.
Speaker 1: Pea and but like not even like interesting the way those could be. This is just kind of ugly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not I'm not feeling it.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not not liking what Project Renee is doing here. What's wrong Renee guy here? This one guy here that this this blonde fella uh he looks like he says skibeti on ironically, I just and he is not an alpha, says yeah.
Speaker 2: This is oh god, no, no, it's it's been and like what's going on with this leg?
Speaker 1: His knees look messed up.
Speaker 2: Every just I mean, look chatty pronunciation.
Speaker 1: That was a skibbitty way to say scibbitty. Uh yeah, but that's fair.
Speaker 2: I hate looking at these guys. That's that's kind of how I feel. I get it's invader or whatever, and testing they will probably they will they better make changes.
Speaker 3: These are the sims that you're put in the bottom of the pool and take out the right.
Speaker 2: If the game is all about like wanting to hate your sims there, they might be hotot something here.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Were in a world where like as for as enshrined as the SIMS is with its community, I don't think that they should expect like anything they put out if it has art like this to be able to compete in an ongoing.
Speaker 1: Way, there will be people like who will be looking.
Speaker 2: Around for some other game that does things that provides what they want. And we were already seeing that some games are going to be doing that, and I think.
Speaker 1: They could lose a step here if this is where they're headed already.
Speaker 2: Sibs, Yeah, shit, yeah, this is just this is definitely the sims you see in the tame who adds for sure? Okay, all right, maybe let's get back here there we go. Okay, while while we're done with the news, let's head over to the poll question.
Speaker 1: Let mean refresh that and frame it up.
Speaker 2: The poll question from yesterday was do you want a Horizon Online game? And that was actually from Monday. Ten percent said yes. Ninety percent said no, thank you, I do not want Horizon Online. And I think when we talked about this, when we we ran this poll question, I said, I think if they get around fifteen percent saying yes, that is something they can easily work with. Now we haven't seen the game. Maybe by the time it comes out, it's like they can build up some excitement that doesn't exist in this moment. But when you just say the words all right, Horizon now, Horizon Online, one out of ten people are like, yes, I want that, and the rest just say no, just flat out no. That's a I think it's a rough place to start from. And uh, there's been a lot of money making this game. Seems like it could be a problem. I don't know what do you think, Jason.
Speaker 3: But like, what are they Is it going to be ARC? Like I'm trying to figure out what Horizon Online eat is like. Is it is it something like ARC where you have these you know, this open world survival big monster stuff like that? Is it an mm O right in this world? That could be interesting. The different tribes and alliances and stuff like that with these big monsters, that could be interesting. That's another potential idea as well. But does that have to mean I guess Monster Hunter is online now, so I always thought I used to always think of that as a single player or couch co op game, but it is online now online. It's a huge Monster Hunter does make sense if you have these really beefed mechanical uh monsters. But again, you're just aping other things. What is the other than the world that it's in. What is the original idea that you're bringing to these genres? Yep, that to me is the biggest, Like that's what they need to prove to me that they can do, or else I would just play the game that's already yet. I love I love Horizon's world. I love the concept. I love the the Zero Dawn. What Zero Dawn means in that universe I found fascinating, and I love to a point. I like how Forbidden West build on that. But I don't know, don't unless you're going to be unless there is for me, unless there's a lore reason to have this always online game that you're something it contributes to the lore in some way. I don't think you can do anything original with the actual gameplay of it unless there's some mechanic that they've come up with it I can't think of.
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 2: I think they're what they're probably going to go for. I think people are right for Monster Hunter. I think you kind of make it run like a Fantasy Star Online. You know, you get your crew of four together who goes out and runs monster are hunting things. You're gonna go get the big Dino block guys and have a good.
Speaker 1: Time with that. Uh.
Speaker 2: Is that something that can sustain a massive, uh sort of live service game in these days? The way that seems like they need this game to be that thing, I doubt it.
Speaker 1: I think that's why the concerns remain around it. And I think.
Speaker 2: Most fans of Horizon will be like, Okay, maybe I'll check this out, but what I'm really looking for is the next real Horizon game. And I don't think they're going to be able to do much about that perspective, that perception of that this isn't the real Horizon game, which is, and the way that the money they putting into it, it's like, no, it better be the real Horizon game because it's very expensive and that whole team is working on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you left us on a big cliffhanger. Can you can you get rid of that please before you start talking about how you're gonna expand the world.
Speaker 1: I should, I should.
Speaker 3: I feel like the wiki, Yeah, I feel like that. Fixing that cliffhanger, and then you know, ending the trilogy is a better way to build a online right then, yeah, I think it's out of order.
Speaker 2: Yep, And like, yeah, I'm follow out seventy six, Like that could be the kind of situation they're looking at here. You know, even Elder scrolls online, We've seen these things work and then not work, and then eventually get to a point where the people do like them. And yet through all of that, there's fans will be like, yeah, great, where's the next real one? That's where's Elder scroll six? Where is the next fallout? That's what we actually care about? And I think they're gonna have the same exact situation here.
Speaker 1: All right. That is it for this full question. We have a new one coming up in a second.
Speaker 2: Before we get to that, though, Jason Finella, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on?
Speaker 1: All that good stuff.
Speaker 3: At big Man Finelle on social media. Sorry we've been invaded. Hello, Hey puppy, uh poppers. Yeah. I have a couple of reviews coming to game Spot soon. One I submitted yesterday. It's not in Borgo, so I can probably say what it is. We'll come about one cast Rains came out while I was in Disney World, reviewed it for game Spot. There that's all I say about that. And then another one coming out next week that isn't bargoed. I can't say much about that one, but based on what I've played so far, i'd have any good time with that. Have a few other things in the pot. One that goes all the way back to EVO that I'm still working on. That'll be exciting when that finally comes out. A lot of interviews to transcribe them and and uh handle from that. So that's still going on. I got some I think I'm going to Magicicon in Vegas, so if you like playing match at the gathering, you want to come out, and I'm covering that. I think Bramimo, ARPG dot com still have to figure that part out, so that should be fun. But yeah, that's that's me. Follow me to see games Tabletop, the occasional Dog and Child pro wrestling, and a bunch of random nonsense. I'm really good at that. But yep, that's what I'm doing. What you got going on, Jeff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, first you got the new poll question. Have you ever used Rio Jinks or U Zoo?
Speaker 1: Yes? No? Or I don't know what those are? That'll be the poll question.
Speaker 2: We'll get the results of that on games Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking of Giant Bomb, what's up infrastructure? We continues he We've done the games Com right, that's right, big build bomb better everybody.
Speaker 3: We got the man.
Speaker 2: We should make the shirts actually, so we have the shirts now we don't, but we should make infrastructure weak shirts skyblocks in Minecraft today. And then Janet wrote here Fingy's crossed. So we think we should be able to get that working, no problem. But we got a bunch of other stuff we can run if for some reason that doesn't work. And then the Blake Club finale today, and we're calling it the finale to put extra pressure on Mike.
Speaker 1: He's right there, he's right there.
Speaker 3: After that that masterclass in driving.
Speaker 2: We saw, I'm trying to like, you know, I'll save it for the show, but I'm like, can we remember the sequence of events? Because it's like he was in a building, the building fell fell over. He got out of the building by going through the garage, and then he drove down the road, was in the park, went into that bathroom, got out of the bathroom, and then went to another building and then did some more driving. I'm probably missed a few things in there, but but like I'm like, there's just not a lot to this game, and which is why five episodes and we're talking about finale, all right, and then you know, the rest of the week, look out for more Game Mess mornings.
Speaker 1: Look out for voicemail Dump Truck tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Me and back are probably gonna play some NHL actually tomorrow after Game Mess morning, so look out for that.
Speaker 1: And then upf BCR.
Speaker 2: We'll have a bunch of fun stuff to talk about on that episode as well. So gonna be a fun week here for Infrastructure week. But first, Jason Finelli, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate.
Speaker 3: It any time, Jeff, I appreciate coming on and glad you had me indoors again. Thanks for the EMO. That's really really frig Yeah it's such a weird, so like about but yeah, that's that's seeing my face just blood chat when that first came up. I'm excited to watch the replay and just be like, yep, oh my god, what's.
Speaker 1: Going on up there there? It is all right.
Speaker 2: Thank you again, Thank you everybody for watching, Thank you for listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good.
Speaker 1: One, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 3: See y'all.