Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host Brian Richie and North Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the backs, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Richie joining me as always, there's Norris John. Morning, Nora. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm very well, Brian.
Speaker 3: How are you understand you're under a heat dome?
Speaker 1: Because oh my gosh, I just took a small little walk and from the time I left to the time I got back it was weltering. It must have went up five degrees. And we're supposed to get without heat index over one hundred to like one hundred and three. With heat index, they're expecting to be well over one hundred and ten, maybe hotter than that one fifteen. So we'll see things change here and there. But that's what they said yesterday's news, and I went, yeah, I'm not leaving the house. I'm gonna stay home. I'm gonna stay with the air conditioning on. I pray it doesn't break.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things. It's just like, Okay, let's hope here. You know.
Speaker 3: I grew up in La right, So I always think that La greg Banilla was kind of funny because the summers could be pretty miserable, and when I was growing up, was also really smoggy, so I actually spent more time inside in the summer, like, rather than in the winter. So the whole thing about hibernating is like, oh no, no, I'm outside all winter and all fall and some of the spring, and then summer was like and you know, you go out, you do your thing, you come back in and you hang out until the heat wave goes away, which is just a backwards way of thinking about things.
Speaker 1: I've always wondered why my parents decided to move from Colorado, which was already warm in the summer, to Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and they must like heat, and no.
Speaker 1: The opposite, they really don't. It was just one of those weird things that air quality and all of that, it made sense to move there. Okay, I said, wait a minute, it's going to be one twenty one hundred and twenty degrees and maybe that's done a good day. I mean, people usually just go out first thing in the morning and then wait until the sun goes down. So I said, are you sure, Oh, we'll just stay inside those days. I'm thinking that's most of the year, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, that's pretty much May two October.
Speaker 2: If I remember Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. I remember we were there for an event in beginning of April, and one day was beautiful. It had a little light overcast, it was gorgeous. The next day was already ninety degrees and I thought, oh my gosh, and it's April. I'm about to go back to the west or to the east coast, where it's going to be in the forties. How do you dan all that heat? And yeah, and we have the humidity here as well. So we're supposed to go to a baseball game Friday night, and I just said, you know what, No, I don't think so. My family doesn't do well with with you know, warm temperatures. I don't mind them nearly as much. I'm not comfortable, but I don't mind them. Rest of them are like, no, no, thank you, it's your wind blood exactly exactly. So I just said, it's it's not worth being miserable sitting there sweating, and just uh so it's like, nope, we'll stay inside, we'll rent a movie, we'll watch something. You know, well, we'll chill out because well, because there's nothing going on that we talked about that thinking, oh, what are we going to do this weekend? As little as possible. That's what we're going to do. The office work. I have a feeling, yeah, it's going.
Speaker 2: To be inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a little bit of an announcement.
Speaker 3: I actually have a website now nor a Saint John so and it includes everywhere I'm presenting and everything I'm doing.
Speaker 2: It also includes links to.
Speaker 3: Our show and all of our show, our past episode, a little a little document that.
Speaker 2: Has a lot of that in it.
Speaker 3: So if you're interested in that, feel free to come up or sign up for the being on my contact list or any of that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic, and do us a favor, hit the like and subscribe button. We really appreciate it. It helps the algorithm, whatever the heck that means, but what it basically does is help us to spread the word a little bit more, gets us out there to more people. It's always interesting. I get to see the analytics and some shows hit very well, others have a miss. So the more you can comment, the more you can like subscribe to all of those things. We really appreciate it because it does help us out a lot. Check out the YouTube page under my name Brian Ritchie and also check us out on Instagram at Moving Combos or you can email us at movingcompos at gmail dot com. So last couple of weeks, we've been talking about hip replacements primarily YEP, and the topic start came up a couple times. Yeah, yeah, no, was not just the rehabilitation aspect, but also the prehab of it. We spoke with like you said, Beth a couple of weeks ago and the topic came up about prehab, and it did last week, and I thought, why don't we sort of continue on with practical application of rehabilitating hips hip replacements, but also focus on the prehab because that's something that is really being shown to be more and more useful and more and more effective with our clients.
Speaker 2: And there's two key things I wanted to bring up about that.
Speaker 3: One is that oftentimes, and you know I both had that, I've both had that experience. Clients come in with hip problems and they're saying they are preparing for or considering a hip replacement, and then you work with them for a while and it turns out that really they were just deconditioned and that that essentially just exercise and movement were enough to move them out of enough pain to basically put off that hip replacement indefinitely or certainly for.
Speaker 2: A longer period of time.
Speaker 3: And as you know, you and I've both talked about, and it's certainly side of the show, the longer you put off those replacements to a certain extent, the better, because they don't last forever. If you've got somebody in their fifties or sixties who's thinking about a hip replacement, you know, you kind of do want to put that off if you can. Seventies and eighties in a little different but certainly fifties and sixties, you want to really give them the opportunity to make the changes and manage that pain a little bit differently through movement and strength, so they didn't have to have the HP replacement, or don't have.
Speaker 1: To have it so soon, and something to think about. I had a client come to me five six years ago, I think it was right around at the beginning of COVID, maybe middle of something like that, and came to me and said, I need a hip replacement. He's younger than I am, He's in his early forties. And I said, okay, and I'm trying to get out of him. Why could it be a structural issue. I've had a couple of people who need it because of structure. Sure, Okay, that's the only thing that's going to get them out of pain. Sure, I've had other I've had many dancers. I've had people who have had you know, large bouts of pread in his own there are reasons to have it. Sure, But I was trying to get that out of him, and finally he said, well, I was doing yoga and I was doing a real wide split sort of thing and leaning over trying to increase my range of motion because he had some back problems and was trying to do yoga to you know, supplement that and he said, in my hip began bothering me, and began bothering me, began bothering me, and he got worse and worse and worse, and he's he's a little bit of a hypochondriac, just a little bit, okay. He he tends to focus on these things. So he went to see a doctor. And the first thing the doctor said, oh, yep, it looks like you might have a label tear. I think we need to do a hip replacement. WHOA, that's that's a big jump.
Speaker 2: That's a big jump.
Speaker 1: That's that's a big Yeah, that's a big leap. And with the doctor in that way, yeah, he looked at the MRI and said, well, it's too big of a gap. It would it would basically they'd have to go in and just separate it and all of this. And I said, when is it scheduled? And we had I think three or four months, I believe, so. I think it was at August, and I think it was gonna be late December or something. I said, fine, give me three months. I said, you can cancel it at any time. You can always cancel that, but I got to make you as strong as possible. But let's see how close we can get you to pain free before that. And if we can, and you maybe can put it off until it starts bothering you again, maybe that'll give you an extra five years, ten years, whatever. And within a month his pain went from being in his mind a seven six seven to being a one. He barely noticed it, and then after a while he just said, yeah, I don't even think about it anymore. Should I still have the surgery? He asked me this, and I looked at him and I said, so, what are you trying to call? When he said, yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking, I said, you can always call the doctor back. I said, trust me, he will book you. That's he felt bad. Oh, I made the appointment a long time ago. I said, trust me, he'll book it. I said, these touches a waiting.
Speaker 3: List, especially he was booking that far ahead exactly. He's not, it's not a problem. He can fill somebody in that spot and no problem.
Speaker 1: It'll heartbeat exactly. And so he put it off. And that was, like I say, years ago, five years ago, and he now, I mean, he graduated from me to just working out on his own. He checks in from time to time. But he's basically doing whatever he wants and doing fantastic and has no issues. Got to play, got back to playing softball and baseball again, sliding all sorts of things, and has no issues. So it can be done. And oftentimes it's just doing the right things and strengthening the right way to really see if we can get that the mechanics right and take pressure off of the area that may causing the issue, so it can be done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a client who was a she was a hiker, like a professional guide for hiking up in the Sierras. And if you ever, any of you ever a hiking this airas a lot of times you're literally walking on granite. It's a pretty unforgiving surface. And then you've got, you know, a backpack on a twenty to forty pound to probably even higher because she's a guide, you know, fifty pounds backpack on, so it's a it's a lot of force. And her hips were killing her, both hips. Actually was kind of a lateral in her case. And then and she'd gone to a doctor. She's probably in her late forties, early fifties. She was not that old either, and they said, well, you know, we're thinking about a hip replacement.
Speaker 2: So it was interesting. In her case, it didn't take very long, Like like she came in.
Speaker 3: We just did footwork, feed in straps, a little bit of abduction adduction work, like nothing fancy at all. But she came in I think three times a week for about a month, and even after that month, like her pain was gone on. Then we kept working and I think this was in the winter, so she wasn't in her hiking season because she was afraid too that she'd have to like change her job. She couldn't do her job anymore, like it was a big, big, major life thing. So we had about three more months of just working, just getting her stronger, getting crew more resilient. Then when the next season came along, she was right back out there, able to hike, you know, fifteen twenty miles a day with a backpack on. And she put that off as far as I know, for years after that. So again these are two very positive experiences.
Speaker 2: You may not have the same thing out.
Speaker 3: There if you're teaching or if you have a hip issues, but it's something to know, especially if somebody hasn't done a lot of very specific hip stabilization and hip mobility training to kind of get things balanced.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to preface it by saying this, I had that client, but I also had sort of the opposite person. He was in his early fifties. He went in to get it for a hip replacement or to talk to a hip doctor because he was having anterior hip pain. And the doctor said, you need a hip replacement, and he said, I'm too young. No I no way, no way, no way. And I even looked at the X ray. He had a misshapen head of his femur. It was like an eight, and he had ground the center of the acid tabulum so that it was bone on bone. I mean, I looked at it and saw this, and I said, I'm sure that's what the doctor saw. Because I'm not a physician, so I'm thinking, I know that's what the doctor's looking at here. And I said, have you did he mention anything about a misshapen for more ahead. Again, I'm not going to give him any advice, but I saw it, and he said he said something about that, but no, I think there's something else. So he went to another physician who said, oh no, no, no, no, your hip pain is caused by your low back. You need to have a spinal fusion. Oh god, he chose to have a spinal fusion and he didn't need one. Yeah, I mean, and that was the whole thing is Was he having some nerve pain, yes, he and I said, please get a second or third opinion. But he so badly wanted to put off the hip issue that he immediately jumped to the spine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of a final fusion and a hip replacement.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's and just not knowing what.
Speaker 3: The differences are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mentioned that. I said, look, this is not something to just jump into lightly. And he he did it. I saw him afterwards, and it took a while to get him back into decent shape. But the hip pain never went away, and he went to doctor after doctor after doctor, ended up at Johns Hopkins. Maybe he ended up at male clinic. That's where he ended up, MAO clinic. The first thing they did was take a look and say, oh, you got an egg shaped femoral head. You just have worn down the cartilage. You need a hip replacement. I mean, it was that apparent. He he called me and said did you see that? And I said, so did your doctor? I said, I asked about that. He said, Oh, yeah, I guess so. I mean he really wanted to avoid that. And I don't know if it was just because of the fear of a hip replacement. Maybe he had a relative. I never drove that diet went that deep into the reason why. I'm sure there was a reason, but for him, that's what he needed, and had he had that done first, he probably could have put any spinal issue off for a long time because his core was very strong. He wasn't having issues with that. So there are some times in some cases, I've had a number of people who either threw like I say, drug interaction that their bones have just worn down severe osteoporosis. I've had a couple people who were severe bulimic and anarexik who became who basically wore down their bones to the point that they had very little in way of bone support and fractured their hip and needed to have the replacement. So I've seen a bunch of people who are younger who have needed it. Yeah, but my thought is, let's try the exercise first, because because some people have just never exercised property before, right, right, And.
Speaker 3: I think of one other clim I had who had rather see your hip dyspleasia, where you're just meaning that the femur and the acetabulum don't fit very well, or the acetabulum is very shallow, so it's just super unstable hips. And she had an april placement pretty early on, like I think in her late thirties, but she needed it, like there.
Speaker 2: Was nothing was free hips for not holding together without it.
Speaker 3: But that all being said, even with that, even when they need to do have surgery and that's the right thing and that's a good choice for them, then it's like, okay, so let's prepare them for that. And it's it's in some ways it's pretty basic. You want to get three dimensional strength around the hip, you want to get three dimension strength around the knee. You may want to work on gate, You certainly want to work on their core in order to just get them as strong and capable as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find that you said earlier with the word mechanics. There are some people by the way they stand their hips jut out and the femur heads are riding forward in the sockets slightly. And when we say forward, we're talking about millimeters. We're not talking about you know, a huge amount of slack we're talking about. It's just pushing forward, so maybe their hip isn't sitting as well as it should, and just getting them into proper positioning, getting them proper exercise. Something simple. I mean the exercise I started with that one gentleman, literally hands and knees. Let's just have him do hip circles on hands and knees, just tracing like a silver dollar and just let that leg hang for a moment, and then let's just start doing some simple circles, something simple. And again, what that was teaching was that the joint was going to have a little bit the weight was going to pull it slightly out, just slightly, so that he had greater range of motion, greater freedom, so we wouldn't be, you know, if there's any grinding, and just retraining how to do those movements. And he said that was one of the things that made such a huge difference, and it was something so simple and didn't really require money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for and for all my clients it's feet and straps, which is the same kind of deal. Feet and straps, Yeah, either on the reformer or on the trap table. And the one girl who was really prehabbing. Specifically, she was actually a forest ranger, so she was used to hiking a lot. So again, hiking seems to be a theme today. And for her, it was like, we would just go onto the trap table and do leg slides and I would have, you know, first we just do leg slides, and then I'd add a strap around her knee, uh, you know, going.
Speaker 2: Behind her so you had a little bit of resistance.
Speaker 3: Into her hand strings. And we do some leg slides, a little bit of resistance, we do some adduction, some abduction, and basically.
Speaker 2: We started with that and it ranged.
Speaker 3: It didn't hurt, and didn't didn't increase your symptoms anyway, not that didn't hurt, but didn't increase your symptoms. And that was you know, that's where we started. And then slowly built up to footwork and then slowly built up to feed and straps, you know, with more weight on the on the to the lever basically, and again she had much much, much improved response, and she didn't put off her hip replacement. But she had a much quicker recovery than I think she would have before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing I noticed that one of the rules I follow, especially when it comes to someone who's pre hip replacement or even pre knee replacement, when we're doing pre hab work or trying to see if they really need it or if they just need to exercise it properly. Is trying to deweaight the joint as much as I can. Okay, because standing often bothers them if they have a labor issue, it can be that it's pinching into the laborum, whatever it is, if they are bone on bone or whatever. Sometimes just getting the pressure off of it can really alleviate a lot of the discomfort. So trying to stay within that pain free range of motion, especially at the beginning, gives them, first of all, a lot of confidence that we're what we're doing is not going to hurt them because they've been in paint for a while. So just showing them, hey, this isn't going to bother too much. And if we find a range of motion that does, let's change the angle, because even something like clamshells forty five degrees from the hips may bother it, but ninety may not, or thirty may not. Sixty n find what doesn't hurt and train the heck out of that angle, and you can still gain strength, and again hands and knees, feet and straps, all of these sorts of things. Sometimes I would just have them stand on one block on a step or stare that I teach them to do at home, and much like doing a pendulum for the shoulder, where we.
Speaker 2: Just have the yeah, you know, just let the legs swing right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'll say, first of all, just use your other leg to sort of let it swing. Don't kick your leg back and forth, just use the other leg to just sort of let it dangle, just dangle. And they say, oh, man, that feels pretty good. Great, Now, maybe let's draw an alphabet with that leg small, make it very very small. Now, maybe circles, infinity sign, whatever you want, whatever you I mean, it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But eventually, now you're asking the muscle to work, but it's moving in small ranges of motion, it's not compressing the joint, and it's able to get a little bit of that stability. And again, working with them in a way that doesn't cause them more discomfort or pain lets them trust that they can work out without pain, but also lets them trust in me and in us that we're not going to make the situation worse and hurt them so that they feel okay and they're willing to try a little bit more rather than closing off. And I can't do anything.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely, And one of the things I always think about with that, and I'll say this to them when they say, well, this doesn't feel like much, right because oftentimes I'm doing pretty light work with them. But again light work somewhat unweighted or at least so those that joint isn't jammed up against itself. Is I say, Look, muscles are designed to actually hold the joints slightly apart, right Like. That's what the nemas do, That's what the hip muscles do, that's what the spinal muscles do. If they're working appropriately, they allow you to just just very slightly decompress the knee joint or the hip joint so that it can move smoothly and freely in that socket without bumping up against itself. There's a million studies that talk about people who have arthritis, even kind of bone on bone arthritis and the hip or the knee, and how many of them are actually pain how many of them are not right, same situation, same pathology, same wear, and tear on the joints. But one group is able to manage that and even be comfortable with it, and one is not. And a lot of times it is that strength, three dimensional balance, strength around the joint. So sometimes to your point, I liked what you said earlier about that that what I think it was a posterior tilt shoving those femurs forward.
Speaker 2: M h right, that's kind of a very typical, I find, very typical.
Speaker 3: Issue that can lead to hip pain over time because again, those femurs just going to push slightly forward, push us into the lake room, pushes into the tendons that run along in front of that hip joint, pushing the joint capsule. And more than once, just changing that posture, stick your tailbone out, shift your weight slightly to the front of your feet, and practice that makes all the difference. So again, posture, balance, not causing more pains are all really key pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that really trying to establish that pain free range of motion is a great place to start. And then trying when you said working three dimensionally, we've been talking about that, you know, you and I for how many years have I known you? We've been talking about doing that because it really does train in all planes of motion, including rotation and really getting the body to move properly. I had a gentleman who, when I say, needed a hip replacement. By the time he got his the X ray, he had a severe, severe cavitation on his greater tro canter. He was missing two thirds of it. It was almost gone. The ball itself had deteriorated so much. But he had almost no pain for the longest time because he had developed enough strength and it really didn't bother him, to the point that when I saw the x ray, my first question was, how are you walking? It just and even the doctor said, I don't know why you weren't in here five or seven, ten years ago. Yeah, because there's it's unbelievable. I'd seen him for fifteen years by that point. But it was a lot of just keeping him strong, working range of motion in ways to keep him three dimensionally strong. And he was in his seventies early seventies at the time. He did great and eventually was sort of like, oh, okay, this is what I need, and when we saw the x ray was sort of, yeah, there's no choice. It really was that clear cut. It's sort of okay, you've put it off for as long as you can.
Speaker 2: Now, let's replace your party. Man, your part is done. It needs to be replaced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly. But again, you what it shows on an X ray. You and I have seen this many times. When you look at an X ray, we can usually see when something's bone on bone because that nice black area that shows the separation of the two bones is no longer there, and it kind of looks like it's fused together one solid piece of white. But we've also known people who have had that in their knees or hips where they don't really have any pain. They've gotten an X ray for something else, like a tendonitis tendinosis, and that's just the first step of the process, and you look at it and think, how are you walking on this? But they don't have any pain. All it takes sometimes is the thinnest microscopic layer of cartilage that can't be seen on an X ray to still give you protection and you don't have that bone on bone pain exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: One other thing, which I'm sure you've had clients like this, and I think about one particular person whenever I think about this. One of the issues that I've seen a lot, and this is where I work on. This is what I work on with prehab and post post surgical as well, is the compensations that people get into from pain. Because again I've had a lot of clients and I'm going to think of this one instructor particularly who really put off a hip replacement way longer than they probably should have. So by the by the last really three or four years, I would see them, they were literally not flexing that painful hip much at all. So they would walk by taking one step and then lifting that whole hip up, shortening that ql on that right side, and then putting that foot down and then basically that was their gait. Very little hip flexion was happening, because I'm assuming that was what was causing pain. And that was the other thing that I like to work on or notice with somebody who was coming in for prehab or also ideally prehab through surgical after is what are the compensations that are happening that I may need to work on, Because that was interesting in her case, is after the surgery saw her and she was still having the same compensation. Yeah, like her gate was a little better, but it really wasn't as much better as it should have been given her situation and what she knew about the body and all that. So it's like, huh, those compensations can get really wired in because again it's just the body reacts to what it reacts to.
Speaker 2: So the other thing, too, is looking at what's happening with the core.
Speaker 3: Look at what's happening with the quadrat of some borum, with the hips, with the puriformis, with the hip flexers, with the hamstrings, like who's trying to do the job, Because a lot of times as you go through that, you'll just see, oh, they're trying to do all of this with their in this case her QL right lifting that hip hop's.
Speaker 2: You know, or it's or they're not doing any flexions, so it's all happening.
Speaker 3: Kind of from the knee right. The knee is doing all the work, so it's or they're walking there up on their toes or something. There's all kinds of funny compensations you'll see, and a lot of times for me, I also look at and just try to see what that is. What are they doing that's possibly taking them out of pain but causing other trouble in the process.
Speaker 1: And that's the issue you said to yourself, getting them out of pain. Pain doesn't always happen overnight. Sometimes, yes, you have a trauma. And sometimes I tell people it's the straw that broke the camel's back. You've had this issue for so many years and finally the last little straw, and they have pain, but a lot of times they've been avoiding pain. I can tell you right now, my knee's bothering me because I went on a long walk when we were in Chicago. My arthritic big toast started bothering me and I started circumducting my leg in a funny way. I caught myself. But guess what, how I can't tell you if I did it for five minutes, thirty minutes, three miles. I couldn't tell you how long I did it for when I caught it. And again, I'm a movement professional, so for me to catch it, I thought, wow, Okay, what about our clients who don't know what's going on in their body? Thousands upon thousands, millions upon millions of repetitions are being done the incorrect way, the wrong way, over stimulating a muscle, over strengthening. Like you said, a QL especially. We see that a lot with hip hiking, that QL becomes so tight and so overly strong that even when they do have the hip replacement or knee replacement or whatever they need, you're still going to have to deal with that that's going to become an issue. So if you spot it before the surgery, I highly recommend start working on that immediately, because it's something that's going to be addressed eventually. You may as well start.
Speaker 3: Now right bouncing out the core so for me, a lot of loater reflection, a lot of rotation in the torso, a lot of just basic core work, a lot of back extension work, a lot of abduction for sure, because that's oftentimes where for many people that's your hip stability is the weakest, is a deduction, and I've had with a lot of my hip replacement clients, I've had to start really really small, like tiny isommetrics with let's say, you know, the ring around the thighs or a band around the thighs and just gently pressing out and holding it in kind of a basic seated position, and then we slowly build that up because sometimes even that just that slight pressure out will cause pain or discomfort, so just finding again finding what they need to work on in terms of getting those areas loosened up and stronger abduction.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this in plates. It's underutilized in plates, and I think it's underutilized a lot in fitness in general. Although I will say this, in the last probably five years or so, I'm seeing more people doing things in gym environments. I travel all over, I see a lot of different gyms, and I see people doing much more lateral work, and I'm thrilled. I have to say, I'm thrilled to see that because it's so important and it was what was missing for are so long. We're so sagital in everything we did that we really didn't worry or work on our lateral plane nearly as much. And rotational forget about it. Hardly anybody did any of that unless you were into sport specific things. But to work the abducture abductors is so important that glut meed is so critical for walking, it is so critical for balance, and it is still I think underutilized a lot in our older clients because they go with what feels comfortable, they go with what they've done for so many years, and we really need to introduce those to them and make sure that they're doing those motions and getting them strong. And like you said, start easy, start very basic. Don't overload or else they're not going to be able to walk and sometimes you'll cause other issues.
Speaker 3: Right, So starting with just like isometrics as we often do, for a beginning stage as measures in various different angles, and then solely working into sidestepping with nerve resistance, and then with bands or then the reformer standing or standing worth what you guys do, I know with cables and things like that, So playing with that is for sure. The other thing too that I've played with, and this is what I really love about feed and straps is working the hip in different angles. So we often think about inflection and extension, right.
Speaker 2: That's what walking is. That's what most of us spend most of our.
Speaker 3: Time with our hips doing seated standing, seated standing. But what we miss is we miss adduction abduction, and we also miss rotation, both medial and latter rotation.
Speaker 1: In the hips.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that they say about arthritis is arthritis can be both an overuse and an underuse situation, meaning if we never stimulate the joint in certain areas, it can also become arthritic. I mean we often talk about wear and tear, which it certainly can be. But if people never mediately rotate or never like cross the midline in terms of their adduction, then they're not stimulating a certain part of the acidtabuline and sometimes that can also lead to a bit of arthritis. So again, whenever I'm working with them, I play with let's play parallel. They a little turned out, they a little turned in, and then things like feet and straps, Like if I'm doing circles, and this is I have to credit Valentine, my good teacher friend Valentine for this. She'll basically have people draw different things with their legs with feet and straps. So she'll do like snowmen, right, so you're going to kind of like three little circles one on top of the other. Or I do have to call spirograph where they take little circles and they start with the legs together, draw little circles out and then little circles back in. Because one of the things I've found is to get hip stability, you want to challenge it in a whole bunch of different somewhat unexpected angles. Yes, right, not just straight side forward back, even just extra inter rotation, But how do you find all those little in between spots which is often what's missing, And that's a lot of times why there is hip pain. It's because they're missing some critical piece of the support system in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that I've worked on with people. First of all, I love that the idea of drawing different figures and all of that works so well. The spirograph really works well. It really shows our generation in our age though, because I don't know how many younger people have.
Speaker 3: To my hands, my hands make little circles out, a little circles back in because they're like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: But but it's true, that really does get it. I'm going to throw something out here that I do with a lot of people, and I haven't seen a lot of people do this, but I think it's important. Is if you're having them do something like standing up and sitting down, if you're having them do something like squats, even footwork on the jump board or you know a leg press that you're doing more like a squat, very the foot position a lot, but make it a Cemricle m hm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of people will always want to make it exactly symmetrical. So you may say, take your feet out a little wider and then they're perfectly balanced. Take out a little wider and they're perfectly balanced between the two. I'll have someone start marching and I'll say stop, okay, now squat, and you can see that their brain wants them to change their foot position. I say no, right, like how it is just like this? Oh nice? How many times have you gotten up off a chair, off the toilet something one leg slightly turned out, one leg slightly turned in, one foot slightly forward, one slightly back, whatever it is. Rarely are perfectly symmetrical. Yeah, And it's the same thing with pushups, the same thing with anything that we need to when we're I'm in contact with the ground or a wall or whatever, change the foot position and make it variable because that's real life and those changes are going to change how the joint mechanics work. And again, it's just making it more real life. It's taking that from the fitness environment, the gym environment, the plates studio environment and putting it into real life and giving them something that they can do that doesn't have to be perfectly symmetrical, perfectly balanced left to right, because rarely are we.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I learned, possibly the hard way, because I tend to learn things this way, was I was teaching a short box abdominals. Okay, so reformer, you're sitting in the reformer's sitting in a box, a feud, are under something, and you're basically rotating, and this is the rotation work. And what I found there that was interesting to me was that I had a reformer class Monday, Wednesday Friday at eight o'clock for years and so that this was my guinea pig group. And they would basically do let's say, roll back into a small, small curl basically and then rotate side to side, just straight rotation.
Speaker 2: With some flection. And they would do that.
Speaker 3: Let's do that for two or three weeks, just that version of oblique work.
Speaker 2: Then let's say say, oh, let's change this up, so then we would do something.
Speaker 3: More like around the world where you start you know, you start side and then you kind of rotate up all the way around the other side and then back, so you're getting different angles of all those A those oblique abdominals essentially and how those are working. And what I found was whatever we had done, like let's say we did just a straight rotation for three weeks. If I went and then did around the.
Speaker 2: World, it was as if they hadn't done it before. Yes, and they had, because like, we've done this a million times.
Speaker 3: So it really really drove home to me how we get good at exactly what we do. Yes, like yeah, and and and that's that's kind of what we're doing with the hip work, is if we can play with let's not just do it one way, because we don't live one way, right, How do you just like change at angle, change an angle, or change an angle with the feet and straps, or change the hand position.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 3: Because that's really where our body learns to stabilize in unexpected ways.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, That's so important in everything that we do. We want to make it unexpected. We don't want it predictable because life is not predictable.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm going to throw something out there that I I know you do, but there's I think a lot of people don't realize this. I think we have biases when it comes to the human body and we get something stuck in our brain. Especially you know, my specialty has been especially post rehabilitation, but low back. I spent lot, many, many, many many years studying it well. Tight end flexers are always part of it. Tight in flexure, tight it flexers. But if all you do is stretch them and you never strengthen them, you're creating an imbalance. If all you do is strengthen the glutes, strengthen your glute, meed glup men, but don't ever address the hip flexer, you're creating a huge muscular imbalance. So I find that there's a lot of people who sort of get these thought processes in their brain of oh, tight FLEs, Oh that's bad. Hip flexus are bad. We want to avoid working those. No, no, no, no, no, you actually want to strengthen them. We need to strengthen every muscle because a weak muscle is often going to be a muscle that's tight. Not always a muscle that's overly shortened or overly tight is super strong. A lot of times it's the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: And going into the so as with the hip specifically, right, if you think of the ilioso as tendon, it literally runs over the ball of the femur and.
Speaker 2: Connects into the lestratkanter on the on the femur.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that you know, I certainly have seen and have experienced is if you're doing something like leg circles, which is a plot is exercise where one legs up in the air and you're making circles their legs, and there's a clunk, clunk, klonk at a certain point in that circle. Oftentimes it's one sided, not both, and oftentimes that is that ilioso as tendon popping over the front of the femur. So when I look at that and when I hear that, it's one of the few clunks that I'm concerned about because I'm thinking that that iliosis tendon is potentially rubbing over that joint capsule and that labrum every time they do that, and that same thing happens to some extent when they shove their femurs forward, that they're also putting pressure in their whole anterior joint capsule and the labrim of the hip. So one of the things that I think about, and this is just getting to your point with the so as, is I want to strengthen the hip flexors. Yes, but I specifically want to try to create balance in the so as both mobility and strength, and almost every client I know with hip issues has incredible imbalances in their so as strength. And this is again I know muscle testing is like whatever, slightly controversial thing, but if I just have somebody sit with their feet on the floor, they're a roughly ninety degree angle, lift one leg up and then try to push it down themselves, and they can do that on one side. They try the other side, usually the injured side, and it's like they have no resistance there. That's a kind of a very simple, basic kind of muscle test for the so as, and a lot of times that shows me that that injured hip so as is super super weak. It may also be tight, but it's super super weak. And you know, I want to balance the forces on the spine. I want to balance the force on the hips. I got to balance some of that strength out.
Speaker 1: And the position you were just just explaining where that's that tendon and muscle is riding right over that joint capsule. If we go into a traditional hip flexor stretch where we're just basically doing a lunge forward, what's happening. We're literally just stretching out that portion and it's pushing right on that joint capsule the whole time. Unless you put yourself into a posterior tilt or you can sort of rock back and get to lengthen more length that excuse me, through the lumbar spine to really get more of the so as involved and get that lengthened as well. You're basically not getting a lot of stretch involvement, which is why so many people go into that lunge all the way down and they say, oh, I don't feel very much. But if you put them in the right position, they say, oh my gosh, do I feel this? Yes, So I don't have to go into a deep, deep lunging stretch in order to do that. But I agree one hundred percent. Even if you just have a client sit at ninety degrees and have them just march, yeah, exactly ten minutes, they're dying, yep. And if they're injured on one side, oh my gosh, you'd be lucky to get that foot off the ground for more than a couple of inches. And what I do is I start lowering their seat. I love putting them in office chairs, because I can start them up high and then they can lift their leg and they're often lifting just to ninety they're not lifting beyond that, and they think, oh, this is easy. Let's lower you an inch, let's lower you another inch, let's lower you another And once we get to a certain point where they have to go above that ninety degrees, for every repetition, you see how quickly they fatigue, and you can see just how weak they're so as is their reliaca says that hip flex or as a unit is so weak. But in their mind, oh, I just need to stretch it. I don't need to stretch, I just need to stretch my mindset.
Speaker 2: It's definitely stuck.
Speaker 3: And one other regression there that I've taken a few times with clients with this is I actually have them soupine with their feet on the wall at ninety degrees, so there's still there's still lifting above ninety, but they've got gravity assisting like in kind of a major way. And oftentimes for this so as, I have to start that far back, yes, to get to get it comfortable and to get them started to strength, and then I'll slowly move them a little bit away so they're starting below ninety through ninety and up above ninety and then we slowly work up to seed it, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But I've had to go a few times.
Speaker 3: I've had to go that far down the chain in terms of a regression to really get that hip flexis to work on, especially on the injured side.
Speaker 2: It's just so common there.
Speaker 1: But I have sometimes done for an assessment if someone is arguing with me, because there are some people who do get it stuck in their head that no I don't I don't want to work my hip flexor I don't I need to stretch it. I'll say, okay, let's just do a simple assessment. Okay, I'll take it. I'll take a step, put it at twelve inches and they look at it and tall. That looks really high. So we're not stepping up on it. Just take your foot and tap the top and then tap the top, tap the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, nice.
Speaker 1: And they easy easy. About the third or fourth one, they kick this, kick the step and I go ooh okay, and I put it back. I say, keep going, and eventually they're having a hard time getting it up and over that they're kicking the step I'll do this with a ball as well. I can put a soccer ball and say just tap the top lightly yep. And after the first third or fourth repetition, they kicked the ball, and I say, well, you better go get it, and then they go get in. And then they try it again and they kicked the ball. I say, oh wow, say see said it may be tight, yes, but there also seems to be a lack of strength. And I think we can increase your flexibility and mobility by increasing the strength of that muscle as well. When you explain it to them, Oh, you sometimes have to show them and demonstrate that. Yeah, yeah, in a way that they can see it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole idea.
Speaker 3: That's something because PILATEUS two has some of that bias of don't use your hip flexes, don't use hip flex do hip flexers, And sometimes I would I would describe that as you want to think about the hip flexers in a more complex way, ideally for all of you out there, So not just like as one giant group, which you can think of them as, but I have to think of them individually. So we've talked about the ilios as the thing I think about is the rectus femeris, which is our major quadricep hip flexer, are sartorious, which is will also do external rotation and abduction. And then are semi our tensor fascial law to and our glutas minimus, which you do an intern rotation and an abduction or a flex.
Speaker 2: And then even are.
Speaker 3: Some of our deeper aductors. So what I often find is those are also imbalanced. We've talked a little about the AliOS as and and one thing that is kind of a well, I'm not sure it's an easy easy assessment or not, but if you watch somebody walk towards you, you can often see especially if they're running, but walking can sometimes see it too. Does that leg tracks straight ahead, that knee and that femur track straight ahead when they walk, does its track in later rotation or does it track in medial rotation? And again you can't always see that in walking, but you can certainly every time somebody runs. If any of you are like me and like to watch runners do their thing on the trail near us, I always like am intrigued by what's happening, you'll see it immediately because when they go faster, the second that leg comes off the ground to go into that stride forward. It'll either stay straight, which is I think of being more wrecked as famerous dominance. It'll latterly rotate, which is often extra rotator or sertorious dominance, or it will interally rotate, which or glutasmon in a sentence of fascial lot of dominance. And so sometimes too I can look at that and see where there where what is their strategy and hip flexion, and try to get them to change that, modify that, And a lot of times that is work on the so as and working on getting that rectusceemerist to do more of the job, because it's often the one that will really track at the straightest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming back to the whole working in three dimensions, I really want to sort of put a point on this and make sure that everybody really understands what that means, because even in something like hip flex hip flexion, you don't just necessarily have to have it come straight ahead. You can do some external rotation, you can do a little internal rotation, and if you find that one is lacking, you can focus maybe a few more repetitions or an extra set on that side. So really taking a look at every single motion and trying to figure out what is their weakest. The one that I bring up all the time to especially when I'm teaching PLATES instructors, is abduction. They're taught to do it with their hips very stacked. Well a lot of times though you watch it and their toes will turn slightly upward, and you can see that they're using a little bit more TfL they're using a little bit more of the anterior portion of their glute mead and the anterior muscles, as I would say, are getting a little more than the posterior. And sometimes you just need to remind them to bring their leg behind them, maybe put that hip in slightly inclined, slightly make it go forward just a little bit, or to put the toe down, just changing the position and all of a sudden, oh my gosh, that's so much more difficult. Well, it's just an area that you haven't trained necessarily as much, so we may need to focus on that just to balance it out. You don't want to just focus on one side and not the other. And I find that a lot of people go to whatever is their path at least resistance and whatever they've been doing is how they've always been doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so abduction and then you know, to kind of mention it.
Speaker 3: A lot of times, the goat, the go to, the default is strengthen the glutes, right, Like, I always think of that that that's that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of where people typically go when they're working on.
Speaker 3: The hips of strength and the glute strength and glutes on the goods.
Speaker 2: Now, that's you.
Speaker 3: That's generally a good idea, honestly, Like, most clients are not that strong there, and I'm totally for that. Every now and then, especially some of my clients who are more athletic, more maybe antirely tilted or a little more loer dotic, overuse the glutes and that's causing their hip trouble.
Speaker 2: And that's not so common.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know what the proportions are, but certainly that's not as common as just weak glutes. But they're not always the answer. So that's the other thing too, is just staying three dimensional?
Speaker 2: Is it hip flexion? Is it hip extension? In multiple angles?
Speaker 3: Right? If I'm thinking about doing one of my favorite simple ways to do that is all fours leg lifts, right, all fours, just lifting the leg up and playing with that in parallel, playing with it turned out, playing with it internally rotated, taking that leg and lifting it up and then happing it across the other leg right, so back and forth. So you're getting all those angles of that extension. And those are all again ways to three dimensionally train these complex systems because they don't work in isolation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't. And that's something that I again, we have a tendency to forget about, and I think it's missing in a lot of rehabilitation. When people go through physical therapy, and it's a lot of times they just don't have enough time. They are told, get this person walking and get them as strong as possible in a short period of time as possible. And that's the insurance industry putting making those rules. So it's our job to really look at that. And sometimes I will say tell the person when they show me what they've been doing, I can say, okay, you've been doing it this way for now we're going to adjust this a little bit. I don't say that, oh man, what was your physical therapist doing, because I don't know if they've mutated the exercise.
Speaker 2: No, I don't blame them don't blame anybody.
Speaker 1: No, no, we have no idea unless we know the person. We have no idea what they've been doing and how they've adjusted it in the meantime. But I'll just say, oh, you're ready to take that next step, you're ready to move on. And it makes them feel good, Oh I've gotten stronger. Absolutely. Now let's roll your hip forward this way, or roll your hip back, or let's focus on this. Push through your big tone, more, push through your little tille, more small adjustments, and they'll say, oh, man, I really feel this a lot more. I said, Okay, we're going to do this for a couple of weeks. Then we change it up again, continue to change things. One of my favorite techniques that I will use is you I bought these dots, these flat dots you can put on the ground. You can get them really inexpensively online anywhere from I've gotten three inch ones all the way up to like nine or twelve inch ones, and I throw them out at different angles and they kind of look like Twister dots. Yeah yeah, yeah, And I will literally play Twister with them in that I will say right foot red and they have to find the red and then take a step toward it, or lunch toward it, or however we're doing it, and it'll be at a weird angle. Sometimes I'll have them go across the body, because we don't often do that. But if you're walking and you want to take a step, do we often cross our leg into the other one where we're changing direction sure all the time. So I'll call out across the body, I'll call out behind them, and I'll say right leg, you know, And it'll be if they're facing twelve o'clock their left leg, I'll say left leg, and really they have to go almost all the way to four o'clock. And they're like, how am I supposed to do that? I say, get as close as you can or find another way, And sometimes they'll go, oh, I can sneak it around behind, Yes, you can, all right, And you can see they have to use their brain, they have to figure it out. They have to sort of problem solve at the same time. But they're working their hips, they're working their legs in ways that they don't in a traditional fitness or plate's environment. But how we use it in a regular, every day environment all the time. So again, I want to take that from exercise into reality as much as we can. And those are real cheap. I get a package, you know, oftentimes I'll give them some I'll buy the small three inch ones that I can get like fifty of them for five dollars or something, and I'll stay here play with these at home, you know.
Speaker 3: And and so one thing that I love about what you do banks, I've seen you do a lot of these drills and they're just if you guys ever, don't ever play with these.
Speaker 2: They're super fun.
Speaker 3: And a lot of times, like again this is getting maybe to clients that are a little not in the prehab.
Speaker 2: Stage, but maybe it is. They're they're really great to do at the end of a session.
Speaker 3: So the last five minutes to do a lot of standing stuff, stepping over things, stepping up on things, stepping at different angles. Just it just takes all the work you're doing. And I'm thinking of this from a plot's perspective, you know, on the machines in the in the environment and taking it up into a more challenging, oftentimes more practical position. So the other thing too, that I wanted to just bring out about what you said is changing things up, because when something when we get really good at something, some movement, and it really doesn't take any attention anymore. We've gotten kind of as efficient as we can with that particular movement. We've stopped paying attention. Basically, our nervous system has gone.
Speaker 2: I got this handled.
Speaker 3: I can go on autopilot and start thinking about my laundry list, right or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's where shaking that up.
Speaker 3: Giving new input, new stimulus, different order, more resistance, different angle, all those are really important to keep the brain. And I think I think the motor control system like active and running instead of on automatic.
Speaker 1: And also I'm gonna I'm gonna throw this out there for my people who have my type, like my type A clients. You want to know exactly how many repetitions and how many sets before we ever start. And I just say, just keep going. What do you mean? Just keep going? You're not tired yet. But but but I did twelve. Hey, you can count good for you. Keep going. It doesn't matter. The number of repetitions, doesn't matter if you're going to fatigue. They get used to doing a certain number. Yes, but it suddenly I've had a client yesterday, I've done this many times when I'll say, okay, one more, and they'll do one more, and I'll say one more and I she looked at me and she said, you're not allowed to do that. I said, yes, I am, do another one. And then she did another one. I said, do another one, and she's given me this evil look. She did five more repetitions before she got tired, and I said, see, you could do more than you thought you could. But if we stopped there, you wouldn't have pushed and you wouldn't have realized that. And you could see she was proud of herself. She was still a little upset because she really wants to know the number ahead of time. And I say, it doesn't matter. It's going till your body tells you. Okay. I think I've had enough.
Speaker 3: And the world doesn't give you numbers.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I mean if I'm like, I've been remodeling my office here, so I was doing like you know, sheet rock mud yesterday, Like it doesn't tell me, oh, I'm going to lift my arm up up four times at this height and do this, Like that's not what's happening. Right.
Speaker 2: I cook a lot.
Speaker 3: It's like it's not going to tell me I'm going to chop that that carrot seventeen times, four times in a row.
Speaker 2: Like that's not what happens.
Speaker 3: And if any of you have children out there or dogs, like that is an unpredictable situation.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't count on on I'm going to do four of these and six of these. And now I appreciate that, you know, sometimes that gives you some structure to your workout, which could be helpful for sure, And I totally get that, but also understand, like that's not what real life does for us.
Speaker 2: It does not provide us with the numbers ahead of time that are going to be required to do the job.
Speaker 1: I remember I had a she was a chiropractor friend, and I was training her to do like a tough mutter sort of situation. And we would go into the parking lot and do walking lunges and if she'd think she was done it doing a certain number, and I'd say, okay, twenty more, and she would just look at me and I said, you want to do an ultra endurance type event that involves running, jumping, twisting, turn that's going to use your whole body in ways you've never done before you think ten more repetitions And immediately she said, got it, and it changed her mindset because she had a goal oriented Well, guess what life is? Goal oriented. We need to be able to do things. What if you have to carry something farther than you think, yep, you have to be strong enough to do that or be able to put it down somewhere. What if you have to do something or walk farther than you thought you did, Well, guess what. You got to figure it out. Like you said, life does not give you a certain number of repetitions. I've done drywall work. It's not going to say sand this twelve times and it's going to be perfectly smooth. No, it may be two hundred times, It maybe four times, and everywhere in between.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so domic This was a Hopefully this guy got you guys some ideas, right. We talked a lot about've got pretty practical here, a couple of case studies, and then a lot of just thinking about the hip three dimensionally. Ways to get out of our habits of you know, don't do this, do this, always do this, staying sagital again. Working with a hip, you want to make it as three dimensional as possible, really identifying where it's working, where it's not working, and oftentimes, as Brian said, and as Brian's experience in my experience, just by balancing those things out, sometimes in pretty simple ways, you may be able to help your client at least recover better from a hip replacement or even put that laper replacement off for a period of time.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So hopefully that's been helpful to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think this gives you a like, like Norah just said, a lot of practical things that you may not have thought about before. Or I don't know about you, but a lot of times I've used to do something and it's oh, I haven't done that in a long time. So hopefully we may have reminded you of something to do and be like, oh, yeah, I guess I haven't been training my hip flexer as much as I used to. Maybe I should try that again. So even on your own body, maybe it's reminded you something that you can play with a little bit exactly. All right, Well, do us a favor again. Hit that like and subscribe button. We super appreciate every time you do. Check out the YouTube channel under my name Brian Ritchie. You can check us out Instagram, Moving Convos, or email us Moving Combos at gmail dot comes the best way to get in touch with us, and from Nora Saint John. I'm Brian Richie. We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 2: By Guys