Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries. Out of deference to people who may still be living.
Speaker 2: Character names in some of these true unsolved mysteries have been changed. A closed room, a door bolted and blocked at night, fastened window, and a raging storm, a novelist setting for a murder and stretched.
Speaker 1: On the bed, a man stepped through the heart. Such the Cambridge unsolved mystery.
Speaker 3: That's different, something that something, think of, pep.
Speaker 2: The scene is Cambridge and standing in its own ground just off the Great North Road. It's the Hermitage, home of Henry Monty, affectionately known as the Squire. Darkening skies and a chill to the air with the distant rumble of thunder foretells the coming storm as the Squire, accompanied by Sheriff Welford, walks up to the front door of the hermitage.
Speaker 4: I think I felt a few drops, then, Sheriff, no doubt about. We'll have a storm before morning.
Speaker 5: Better come in and have a nightcap with me before you go on home.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Come along, old man. I always have one. Hannah probably has it all worn. Yes, indeed, Hannah and I have the sheriff with me, so we'll have a double order a.
Speaker 1: Punch and go and blame me, Hannah.
Speaker 4: I was all for getting on my way home, but the squire here insisted, And you know the squire.
Speaker 1: Oh indeed, and I.
Speaker 4: Do, sir Mary. Mary.
Speaker 6: Yes, Lieuleana, bring another bowl of punch to the kitchen.
Speaker 1: The master has company, Yes, lou Hannah, we'll go up to my room, Sheriff. The fire is burning brighter there, just as you say, does as you say.
Speaker 7: I'm getting old, Sheriff, and these stairs taxed me, But I like my upstairs room.
Speaker 1: I look out over the downs in.
Speaker 7: The spring and summer, and in the winter I can see the village through the bare branches.
Speaker 4: Sit down over here by the fire, Thanks wire. Yes, this is a delightful room, filled with memories too.
Speaker 1: I'll be bound yares memories of sixty odd years. Ah, here's Mary, here's here winds it. Miss Hannah's baking old cakes for tomorrow's dressless else she'd have brought it her. Tell that's all right, Mary. Here, Sheriff.
Speaker 4: Ay you your health, squire, and may you live another sixty five years.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not that, not that there she comes.
Speaker 7: You better drink down your wine, Sheriff, and be off bell you will get us soaking.
Speaker 1: I will, I will. Ah, that's good, that's good, and thanks for the refreshment. And good night, good night, good night, like the sheriff's sair to the door. Mary, Yes here, I will good night, good night marry. Old Hannah walks down the hallway.
Speaker 2: Both she and Mary look up to the landing above and see the squire close his room door.
Speaker 1: Hear the key turn in the lock. Here the boat slide home.
Speaker 4: The old grandfather's clock on the turn on the stairs strikes ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: As the two women say good night and go to their separate bedrooms. Tell the master.
Speaker 6: Breakfast ready, Mary, Yes, Miss Hannah, breakfast is ready, Master, Master, Master, what's to do?
Speaker 5: Mary?
Speaker 1: Is the master.
Speaker 6: He doesn't answer, not to speak, say something, Oh, something's happening. Done, let me get helpless. We'll have to break down the door, o the master. Lady ill, very ill, said quick quick.
Speaker 4: Then love, run for help.
Speaker 8: Coming helps the master.
Speaker 1: The Master doesn't answer.
Speaker 4: Sent open the door and go in the doors boat and knocked on the inside or the door to that roommate.
Speaker 1: No, bring an eggs, Mary, a big one? Here does the squirrels lock himself.
Speaker 5: In his room?
Speaker 4: Always share a pair for years.
Speaker 1: Was he afraid? Prayed for his life?
Speaker 6: Nothing I know of sharriff.
Speaker 1: He's the biggest ex stands there.
Speaker 4: I think I can get in now, Yes, yes, I think I can. Oh, don't look, Hannah, Marry, don't look, run Marry. Telephone the village for the police. Tell him the squire had been stabbed through the hot Two hours later, the police arrived from the nursed village. Hannah and Mary are weeping hysterically. The sheriff has opened widely smashed in door. The detective, inspector and sergeant the police glanced quickly about the room as they walk over to the bed. Eh must have died instantly, Yes, no signs of the struggle. When did you lassie him alive? We are marrying me.
Speaker 6: Both saw him when he knocked himself in his room last night, two wine glasses.
Speaker 4: He had company last night there he did me, h sheriff. Yes, I let him last night. He invited me up for a glass of wine.
Speaker 1: I left a few minutes before ten o'clock and he was all right.
Speaker 4: Then, Holy, he was all right. Oh.
Speaker 6: I saw the sheriff to the door. I'll knocked and bolted the front door.
Speaker 1: Hannah and me stood and watched the master. If he bolted his doors, well, I suppose he went to ben And if you volted the front door, the murderer must have gone in through the back door that he couldn't. The back door was locked at dusk and it never was opened. Well, it's a certainty that the murder didn't get in through this window. It's bored on the outside, left on the inside, and its dry as a bone, so it was not open while it was raining. I wait a minute.
Speaker 4: Both of you women saw a squire monthieth closed and both his bedroom doors. Yes I did. And you didn't hear a sound during the night, nothing but rain, No angry voices, no scream.
Speaker 1: Do you recognize the knife he's been killed with? I don't want the book, sorry, lady, but who haves to go?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, I know it.
Speaker 6: It's the one that used to lie on his own table weight, his own hunting knife.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's something spooky about all this. He's all right. Last night at ten o'clock in the sheriff seize him, speak to him so we know he's alive.
Speaker 4: Then and the two women here him lock himself in his rooms.
Speaker 1: A few minutes later. When'd you try to wake him? This morning? A few minutes after seven? It was I couldn't give no, and Miss Hannah sat me for help.
Speaker 4: I was passing by on my way to the village when Mary ran out of the house. The door was bolted, so I broke it in with an axe. All it begins to look like suicide. No, the squire had no reason to kill himself. Well, no one got in here through this locked door and got out again and locked and bolted it behind him.
Speaker 1: And nobody got in or out through this chimney. Guess it's post of them suicide.
Speaker 4: I can't agree with you, and I know the doctor won't. No man stabbed himself the way the Squire has been stabbed. The blade's been driven in clear up to the hill.
Speaker 1: That's right. But listen, we've got to be sensible. This door was bolted, wasn't sure?
Speaker 4: Yes, I pulled the bolt myself after I crawled through the hole I made in the door.
Speaker 1: All right, Then the room was closed. Nobody could get out or in. And if nobody could get out of or in, then it was suicide.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't suicide. Squire Monteeth had been brutally murdered. And although today, twenty two years later, the Cambridge murder is still an unsolved mystery, we believe we know the answer.
Speaker 1: Just a moment you will hear a solution to the Cambridge murder mystery.
Speaker 8: A couple of.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen. Inasmuch as any solution must have.
Speaker 2: Necessity, be supposition, liberties of time, place and character have been taken in the solution for which you've been waiting. The scene is the Cambridge Police station, where the Chief is seated behind his desk talking to the sergeant and the detective inspector.
Speaker 4: Well, boys, a month as fassins the killing of the squire. As far as I can see, we're no nearer a solution.
Speaker 1: A near compare a chief, and I don't think we'll be any narrow one.
Speaker 4: A commissioner is going to about there next week when he hears what the local papers have had to say, Well, well, I wish some of these reporters would try their hand at solving the thing. They were half as good as they think they are. I know it's tough, and I get it too. On every side, not a mote that you could find at all. No one had it in for the old squire. No, but yeah, gome On, Oh, he'd only laugh at me if I David, only the first laugh I've had out the case.
Speaker 1: Then all it's been so far is a bunch of grief. Speak up. Is hate for the squire. The only motive that could lead the murder. What do you mean? I mean?
Speaker 4: How about somebody having it into the police. You means somebody deliberately committing murder to battle the police.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been done before, if you recall a Camden case. But who who would you guess, Chief? The sheriff. Yes, the sheriff. He's hated us ever since we were sent up here. He's always resented as taking over his job. But you can't accuse a man of murder. I'm not accusing him of murder. But between ourselves, I'll tell you what I think. Go On.
Speaker 4: I think that the sheriff had been watching his chance. He met the squire that night, he invited him up for a drink. He drug the old man's wine.
Speaker 1: Sleeping draft.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why the old man doesn't wake up in the morning, right, Chief. Then the sheriff shows up first thing, he watches.
Speaker 1: For the servant girl, he goes up to the room.
Speaker 4: Remember, he breaks the door and it says, don't look.
Speaker 1: He's been stabbed through the heart. That's what the women said.
Speaker 4: And from the doorway he couldn't see a thing on that bed. I've tried, then you think. I think he crossed the room, picked up the knife and stabbed the squire as he lay there under the influence of the sleeping may be right, I am right.
Speaker 1: That's like you. I'm thinking. We can't do a confounded thing about it. No, no, we can't.
Speaker 4: We haven't got a single shred of proof.
Speaker 2: And so Cambridge, twenty two years later, still regards the killing of Squire mon Teeth as an unsolved mystery.
Speaker 3: Thing of the first
Speaker 4: P