Speaker 1: The Columbia Broadcasting System presents Yours truly, Johnny Dollar. The next half hour has its baggage pack to take a trip with America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator Johnny Dollar. At Insurance Investigation. He is just an expert at making out his expense account. He is an absolute genius.
Speaker 2: Expense account submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dollar. Two home Office, American Continental Life Insurance Company.
Speaker 3: Hartford, Connecticut.
Speaker 2: The following is an accounting of my expenditures fulfilling your assignment as a bodyguard, the body being that of your late policy holder, Robert W.
Speaker 3: Perry.
Speaker 2: Expense account at them one fair on night train Hartford to New York three dollars and eighty cents Spenser account at him two a dollar ready taxi to Lower Manhattan. The following morning, two offices Perry and Van Bruton importers, arriving as promised at exactly nine am.
Speaker 4: I help you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my name is Johnny Dollar. I have an appointment with mister Perry for nine o'clock.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, from the insurance company. Well you're right on time.
Speaker 3: They told me i'd better be.
Speaker 4: Mister Perry just came in. He's alone and waiting for you. I'll buzz in that you're here.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 2: What was left of your policy holder, Mister Perry was just sliding out of his swivel chair as I hit the room. At the top of his desk get erupted and split the mahogan. He pointed their sharp fingers.
Speaker 3: Upward through lazy circles of smoke swirling toward the ceiling. The buzzer from his secretary's desk had been rigged to a booby trap. No, mister Parris, they away from him. There's nothing you can do for him. He's dead.
Speaker 5: What happened, What happened? Whatever happened?
Speaker 2: Come on, let's look it back out of here. Hey, Irna, sit down, I'll get you a drink of water. Here you are, just drink this turn.
Speaker 7: In the lars.
Speaker 8: Everybody heard as a doctor in the third floortion. I call him.
Speaker 2: Never mind the doctor, call the police, and nobody gets in here until they arrived. And the rest of you go on, feed it, run along and turn off that alarm.
Speaker 3: Okay, miss just take it easy.
Speaker 5: He was also sudden. What happened?
Speaker 3: That's not too hard to figure out.
Speaker 2: Somebody wanted to give your boss mister Perry a shortcut through life. So whoever, it was figured out that the secretary would never buzzer a boss unless he was at his desk. They rigged up a bomb somewhere in his desk. It would go off when you buzzed him.
Speaker 3: I like you, I wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, Wait a minute. Don't get hysterical on me. There's excitement enough around here. There'll be plenty more when the police get here.
Speaker 3: Keep cool.
Speaker 5: But I did you saw me do it?
Speaker 3: Look the way you put it.
Speaker 2: I killed him by coming in here and giving you my name, So you buzz him?
Speaker 3: Drop it, will you?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: What about yesterday? Was he here? Yes?
Speaker 9: All day?
Speaker 3: What time was it when you last used the buzzer?
Speaker 5: Right up to the last minute? About five point thirty?
Speaker 3: Who left the office first? You or Perry?
Speaker 5: Mister Perry, he always leaves first. And I lock up.
Speaker 2: Looks of things. You should have used more locks last night? Somebody got in here to do some wiring. Oh I forgot that fire alarm, haul that equipment and no fire Look before the police arrived. Do you know why I was sent here?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Mister Perry recently felt that his life was endangered. He thought that, well, one hundred thousand dollar policy, the insurance company would do everything they could to help keep him alive.
Speaker 3: Well, we didn't have much of a chance to be What was he afraid of?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay. Why were his other appointments for today?
Speaker 5: He only had two, his partner, mister van Bruton at eleven and the.
Speaker 3: One at a time. Now, van Bruton, anything special about that meeting?
Speaker 5: Yes, mister van Bruton arrived just yesterday from Holland.
Speaker 3: You mean there was a branch of this firm in Holland.
Speaker 4: Yes, mister Perry was buying out Van Bruton's interest. They had their final meeting at Van Bruton's hotel last night. Oh, van Bruton was coming by this morning to pick up his money.
Speaker 5: Uh cash, No, cashier's checked. The bank is to delivered here at ten thirty.
Speaker 3: Now quick. Perry's other appointment? Who was that?
Speaker 5: Christine? His wife?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now Christine the beneficiary, Yes, but.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't have been the beneficiary in another two weeks. They were getting a divorce.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the motive. You don't like her?
Speaker 5: I didn't mean it that way.
Speaker 3: How about Perry? Did you like him? Okay? Well, here's an easy one.
Speaker 9: What's your name, Susan, Susan Gates?
Speaker 5: Now, isn't it about it?
Speaker 3: Now? Okay, Susan, you'd better save your voice during the next few hours. You're going to have a lot of talking to do.
Speaker 2: Oh, here come the fireman, and we haven't even got a child who asked them to save.
Speaker 8: Where's the fire? I'm looking for a fire.
Speaker 2: Just stick around when the cops get here. Somebody will get burned. The fireman should have stuck around, because the cops arrived in a blaze of glory.
Speaker 3: It was a very high class investigation to lieutenants.
Speaker 2: Finally, after about an hour, the police photographer ran out of flashboats, the office of the deceased ran out of fingerprints, and the lieutenants ran out of question so they on the scene phase of the investigation was closed out about five minutes of eleven. I left the police to pack up their notebooks, their clues, and the body and went into the outer office. Susan looked like she could use a big broad shoulder to weep on, but unfortunately I was worrying my light gray suit about. Then a dark blue suit and a deep green voice entered the room from the car door.
Speaker 10: Say there's some fella out here, says he belongs here.
Speaker 8: His name is Ben Bruton.
Speaker 10: Shall I let him in?
Speaker 3: What do you think his name is on the door you just open? Oh?
Speaker 1: Indeed, now, well, my name happens to be Murphy and it's on beds all over the country.
Speaker 3: But that don't mean I'm stuck with feathers.
Speaker 5: Does it?
Speaker 3: As he'll teacher Johnny Dada and never to cross tongues with an irishman. Okay, sentiment officer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, you confirm.
Speaker 10: The policeman out there is a tubble here or I'm Bremavan Bruton. Where's mister Perry? He's waiting for me.
Speaker 2: No, no, look my appointment he's not keeping He's dead.
Speaker 10: This isn't possible. Last night I saw him, he was well. What happened?
Speaker 3: He was hit by a buzzbond?
Speaker 10: A buzz bomb?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: Uh sorry, I forgot other people aren't used to these things.
Speaker 3: You mean that was foul play, very foul. Please? May I sit down?
Speaker 10: My first visit in all these years, since before the war, it was to be so happy. Now tragedy like this. He was a good man, a good partner.
Speaker 2: I understand that as of last night you were no longer partners.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm glad you mentioned that. I realize, of course, that it is indelicate to speak of such things as money at a time like this. That is why I'm here to receive my payment.
Speaker 3: Oh just because Perry got hiss. There's no reason for you not getting yours. Huh.
Speaker 10: But you misunderstand me. I am deeply grieved. Since a transaction was consummated, what they there to do? A delay would be in needless waste of money. I have already faithful passage back to Amsterdam tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Who you are.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 10: In all my years of business, this is indeed the saddest moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, those are very kind words, Van Bruton, and I'd believe them if your eyes would stop counting all the zeros on that check expense account. It him three ninety cents phone call to.
Speaker 9: Your company American counted in a life insurance company. Good morning.
Speaker 3: Oh well that's a matter of opinion. This is Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: Put me through to mister Gordon, will you, sir? Mister look Connee, this is Johnny Dollar. I want to speak to Gordon. Oh and while I'm telling him what I've got to tell him maybe you'd better sit in his lap with some smelling salts.
Speaker 5: I'm not that type of the secretary.
Speaker 9: And besides, he doesn't have a laugh.
Speaker 2: Hello, dollar, how are you making out out about one hundred thousand dollars?
Speaker 10: What's that?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Somebody tell mister Perry into a firecracker. He's dead news A big policy. Yeah. Look, what I want to know is shall I stay on the case?
Speaker 8: Certainly? By all mean? By the way, is there is there a chance of proving suicide?
Speaker 3: There's a non.
Speaker 2: Payment clause to make this one a suicide? That have to be a Santa clause. Nobody could hate himself enough to do it this way?
Speaker 3: What are the possibilities? Only fair?
Speaker 2: As an estrange wife, she's the beneficiary, but she wouldn't have been in a couple of weeks. Divorce coming up, I'll start with her, all right.
Speaker 3: Turner, good luck. But watch those expenses. I godon, I'm surprised.
Speaker 2: I think an insurance man would be the first to want to see a fellow live a little expense account item free camp fair two eighty cents, tip the driver one dollar. Christine perry apartment was on Sutton Place, overlooking the river, and from what the dormant told me all of the proprieties. I took the elevator up to the twenty fourth floor, and there I discovered that our garden fresh widow was living high in more ways than one. Everything about the place was French. The maid that led me into the living room, the decorps, and the perfume, which reminds you that breathing can be fun. I looked up from enjoying my nose to see Missus Perry looking down her.
Speaker 3: Mister Dollard or Missus Perry.
Speaker 9: I believe we can dispense with any getting acquated.
Speaker 11: You're an insurance investigator interested in the death of my husband, the natural.
Speaker 9: You're here because you've jumped to the conclusion that I killed him.
Speaker 3: Oh you're the one that's jumping the conclusions, lady.
Speaker 9: And what do you want the policies in order the premium of the polipaid.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 2: I know that you've got a great motive so far, the only motive I've found.
Speaker 9: You haven't had much time to look Chack.
Speaker 3: This is my first thought. Maybe you can help me. I know anyone who would be happier with your husband out of the way.
Speaker 11: I know very little about my husband's friends or for that matter, his activities for the past six months.
Speaker 3: That's when I left him. Uh huh, Well, that's not my help for either of us. Oh, that's someone else to suspect. I may just have to concentrate.
Speaker 9: On you, mister Dollar.
Speaker 5: I picked him in.
Speaker 9: I want to concentrate on me.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I hope he is long on alibis as you are short on your temper.
Speaker 3: Where were you last night for.
Speaker 11: A friend, al Donovan for a while? I think as my husband was, and I've witnesses to prove who was with him.
Speaker 9: Anybody at the club, the priest can tell you.
Speaker 3: We'll save me a trip. I can't afford the prices they get there. Certainly pleasure.
Speaker 11: My husband was with his beautiful little secretary of Susan Yates wore.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be more surprised if your late husband walked through the door and said that all right, Master, that siy else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how much time?
Speaker 7: I am a big guy, baby, six foot four, and I've got big years.
Speaker 3: Come back, please, mister Donovan, your companion of last evening, I'm getting you out of here.
Speaker 8: Christine, you do what you say you lie to me?
Speaker 3: How can I help you? If you lie to me? You call me stupid.
Speaker 8: The way you're playing this, you'll all of you. I'm right into herself. I'm getting you out of here.
Speaker 5: What are you doing in the idea creates?
Speaker 3: She's right, you are stupid, Donovan. She was doing just fine until you dropped in. Mister You've been asking a lot of questions.
Speaker 8: Now I'll give you one answer.
Speaker 7: All right, Christine, So much for the wise guy. Now about you and your alibi. You wasn't with me at the club cup Priest last night, And if it's always did approve, your husband was there with his secretary, who were you there with? You told me you were going with your husband talking divorce.
Speaker 2: Remember when Ill measured me for that swing, I measured my chances with him. To me, he looked like one of the corporate assets of Murder Incorporated. So I rolled over the punch, hit the floor, and stayed there with my eyes closed and my ears open. What I heard was Christine's alibi flying out the window, mister Donovan giving her a few loving cuffs, and finally the pair of them flying out the door. I allowed myself the luxury of a twenty second massage and the new lump on my jaw, and then I got up and started.
Speaker 3: Out after them. This case was becoming interesting.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we'll return to the second act of yours truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 8: But first this important message.
Speaker 1: Sixty million dollars is what the Red Cross needs to carry on it's great work in nineteen forty nine. If this seems like a lot, just try to review briefly the various activities of the Red Cross. It can't be done briefly. Red Cross services extend into every area of our lives, bringing care, comfort and recreation to the men of the armed forces, bringing first aid training programs, nursing services, blood banks to our own communities.
Speaker 3: And all the.
Speaker 1: Time, as these activities go on uninterrupted, the Red Cross is holding itself ready to spring into instant action in case of disaster, fire, but explosion, any sort of catastrophe finds the Red Cross on the scene with food, clothing, and medical care. Sixty million isn't so much in the light of such activity. We can make it. With each of us contributing. We're giving to our own safety, security and peace of mind, and to our neighbors too. So let's give generously to our own red Cross. Now back to the second act of yours, truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: I hit the street just in time to see Donmond pushing Christine Perry into a cream colored convertible. When they got rolling, I file into a cab and followed them, and the chase was on. At fifty seventh and Broadway, things got complicated. My cab was three cars behind theirs when a red light flashed into a stop. Then the door of their convertible flew open. Christine jumped out, dashed across the street and down to the subway. Since Donovan didn't follow her, I followed him. When he finally pulled to a stop, he took two chances. He parked in a no parking zone and walked straight into the building beside it a police station.
Speaker 8: This is mister Doll, Lieutenant. He's been waiting for you.
Speaker 10: For some time.
Speaker 8: Well, you can wait outside sat.
Speaker 3: CA, sir.
Speaker 2: My name is Johnny Della, Lieutenant. There are my credentials.
Speaker 8: Insurance. Eh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Perry murder in particular, You've.
Speaker 8: Come to the right place. Dollar.
Speaker 12: A man named Donovan just walked in here and made a full confession.
Speaker 8: He what that's right, right, clicks, just typing it up.
Speaker 12: In the meantime, the gentleman is down in the tank having a bite of lunch on the city he confessed.
Speaker 3: Does his story add up?
Speaker 12: As far as I know, I haven't heard too much about the case myself.
Speaker 8: It's met in my precinct.
Speaker 3: What did he use for a motive?
Speaker 8: Jealousy? Says he's in love, wanted to marry Perry's wife.
Speaker 3: Did he say how he manages it?
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's still the key to the office from the wife's apartment, entered the building last night and wired a bomb to the buzzer system.
Speaker 3: Well, guys do a lot of strange things the name of love.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it looks like Donovan did.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: He either killed a man or he's trying to cover up for someone who dead a Listen, don't execute him for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Hollows and I.
Speaker 2: Spent the rest of the afternoon downtown in the offices of Perry and Van Bruton, importers. The partner's correspondence told me two things. They had been extremely friendly and Van Bruton was extremely Perry had been sending him two pays from a famous Hollywood makeup firm at four point thirty, I opened the drawer marked employment files. They rocked me with two minor explosions of their own. The folder marked Donovan. Albert J. Told me that he'd been employed as Perry's bodyguard over a period of years, and that he was canned the day before the murder. Before I received blast number two from the folder of Perry's secretary Susan Gates, the.
Speaker 3: Office door opened behind me. Well, mister dollar.
Speaker 11: They were supplied with a search warrant, just the one I was born with, Missus Perry, the kind they say kills cats.
Speaker 3: You know, curiosity? What are you looking for? I found it? How about you? What are you doing here? Why?
Speaker 11: I'm tired of dueling with you? I'm here because I want to Well, I've got to talk to someone. I called your hotel.
Speaker 3: You what's there?
Speaker 11: I tried to locate Susan, but I couldn't, so I thought, maybe you'll be down here.
Speaker 3: What's the basis of our sudden friendship?
Speaker 9: You should know al Donovan's confession.
Speaker 3: The newspapers have it already is but there's not a.
Speaker 9: Word of truth, and that he didn't kill my husband.
Speaker 3: How do you know that?
Speaker 9: Because what it's impossible.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a little hard for me to swallow too when the police told me about it, But since then it's become a little more digestible. What do you mean, I just learned that he was your husband's bodyguard.
Speaker 3: He was fired yesterday.
Speaker 2: That same day, your husband calls his insurance when he's screaming for another body God, Now.
Speaker 3: How would that head up for you? A beef? Maybe?
Speaker 11: Al Donovan's a fool, never thinks. He just rushes in and says it does whatever's on his mind. He told my husband if he didn't.
Speaker 3: Divorce me, that.
Speaker 9: How he threatened him.
Speaker 2: Now you came in here saying that Diamond's confession was no good, and you spend your time making it sound better and better.
Speaker 3: What do you want anyway?
Speaker 11: I can't help it. I've got to tell you the teeth. I know it doesn't sound like I'm trying to help.
Speaker 2: Al, but what can I Do You really want me to answer that here? If you want to help out, phone the police, tell them Donovan made that phony confession to cover up for you. It's simple, not as simple as dead. You don't need the gun, Christine, hang up the phone.
Speaker 11: Sure, I hope you don't mind my version being held for murder myself.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a commoner version. I'm in no hurry to see you behind bars, but don't forget. When the cops want to pick you up, they'll.
Speaker 3: Do it now.
Speaker 2: Don't spoil the rest of the afternoon. Take that gun someplace else. I've got things to do the first time.
Speaker 9: Imagine we'll need to call that.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't man, not necessarily.
Speaker 2: If it'll make you feel any better, we'll just put this phone out of order.
Speaker 3: Satisfying, of course not.
Speaker 9: But don't get me wrong, mister Dalla, I wish you nothing.
Speaker 10: But success in your investigation.
Speaker 2: I puzzled over that exit line for a few seconds after she'd gone, and then I went back to the company's employment file, namely the application for employment as secretary of Susan Gates.
Speaker 3: It informed me that during.
Speaker 2: The war she had worked in the munitions planned a specialty wiring bomb fuses.
Speaker 3: When Miss Susan Gates.
Speaker 2: Reached home at eight thirty that evening, she found a visitor me, how did you get in here?
Speaker 3: Professional secret Oh?
Speaker 5: You scared me? What do you want? Why did you come here?
Speaker 3: I wanted to bring you the good news.
Speaker 2: I heard on the radio that al Donovan confessed to Perry's murder.
Speaker 5: El I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: Why not? Who do you like for the spot?
Speaker 5: Why Christine? Alice covering up for.
Speaker 2: I'd like to agree with you if it turns out that Christine wound up her husband's life with a bang. The company that hired me saves a hundred thousand dollars, But I don't know. She claims she has all kinds of alibis. One of them is you me? Ah, did you see her at the club Caprice last night? Why?
Speaker 5: Who? Yes?
Speaker 3: I know who you were with your boss.
Speaker 5: There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: I am not preaching it, Sirma. I want to know who she was with.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I'd never seen before mister Perry, knew him, but he wouldn't tell me who he was.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 5: I don't know? He said, I might get the wrong idea about what. I don't know.
Speaker 4: We didn't sit there and talk about it all night. Why should we sit here and talk about it all night?
Speaker 3: All right? All right? When a census taker shows up and asks a lot of questions, people answer them.
Speaker 2: When an investigator tries to do his job. They make the proverbial clam look like a blabbermouth.
Speaker 4: Look, mister dor believe me, this has been a greater shock to me than anyone else.
Speaker 3: The shifting. Of course, you're a late employer, mister Perry. How long did you work for him?
Speaker 5: Four years?
Speaker 3: And where'd you worked before? Then?
Speaker 2: H Let me help you bombs, wiring fuses? Remember all right?
Speaker 5: I remember?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Then maybe you'll remember a little bit more. Let's go back to last night, guy with Christine Perry?
Speaker 3: Who was he?
Speaker 5: I tell you, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Was it Van Bruden? I don't know, you don't know. I mean, I'll get that.
Speaker 4: No, I'll go.
Speaker 3: You make sure you just don't keep going Susan. When Susan snapped the spring locks, who opened the door?
Speaker 2: The gun outside opened up the first slug quarter on the left shoulder, spinning her out of the way of the rest of them. It was getting them knotts. Every time a buzzer went off, things started booming. Susan was sprawled out on the floor and from the door, and to open it, I had a mover. By the time I did, the hallway outside was empty. Okay, my ticketies, it won't start hurting for a couple of minutes. We'll have a doctor here by then he'll give her something. I just try and keep going. Yeah, I'll throw my coat over you. Try not to move, trying to ruin this rug? Never mind the rug. But we want to worry about is who tried to ruin you?
Speaker 5: What'll they do to me?
Speaker 3: Well? Who do to you?
Speaker 5: They'll arrest me?
Speaker 2: No, they don't arrest people beginning shot. Do you have any idea who it was that.
Speaker 5: Man in the office this morning?
Speaker 3: One picked up the check man Bruton?
Speaker 5: No, No, he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Then Bruton he was a phony? Yep, and you still gave him that check.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I won't ask you why, but apparently you gave him the money and then try to blackmail him.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: He'll have me.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Who is this guy? Where can I find him? Come on, I don't pass out on me. Now his name?
Speaker 3: Quick?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 3: Where does he lived?
Speaker 5: Nelson?
Speaker 3: Who did under his own name? I don't blame you.
Speaker 2: I could use a few moments of unconsciousness myself. The Nelson hotel didn't have a Dutch name on the register, so I got a hold of the housekeeper and found out how many rooms his staff hadn't been able to make up all day because of do not disturb signs and their doors. I want to calling at these particular rooms. On the ninth floor I awakened one old maid. On the seventh I startled a bunch of poker players who thought they were being raided. On the fifth I blushed my way out of the bridal suite, and on the fourth I struck the door of four twenty seven and the jackpots.
Speaker 10: Who's there? Don't you see the sign I do not miss to be disturbed?
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I must have the wrong room.
Speaker 2: I started up the hall after the fire acte, but when I got to it, I changed my mind. One of the few things I had learned about this guy, Van Sant was and he loved to murder people through doors, So I decided against trying to chop his down. Then I remember the way those people came pouring out of those offices earlier in the day when they heard that fire alarm. So I picked up the little red hammer next to the big red fire axe, broke the little glass window, pulled the little brass hook, and set off a big brassy noise.
Speaker 3: Then I rushed back to four twenty seven. Fire, Fire, fire, where's the fire right here?
Speaker 6: In my eyes?
Speaker 3: Sweethet?
Speaker 10: Why you come here?
Speaker 2: You wish you hadn't to remind addresser you're through shooting guns for the day. Well you think the him sense you want to try some more?
Speaker 10: You kind of make me stay here.
Speaker 3: The fire we all died and.
Speaker 2: It looked good barbecued. But I'll make a deal with you. You talk. If I like what I hear, I'll show you how to get out of here alive.
Speaker 10: How do I know this?
Speaker 2: Well, you don't think I'm gonna stay here in Friday. And if you don't start flapping that tongue in a hurry, I'll probably I just tie you to a chair and run.
Speaker 3: First was Van Bruton.
Speaker 10: You will find him in the bedroom.
Speaker 3: You've gotta be alive. He's out cold. What's the matter with it?
Speaker 8: People? Be all right?
Speaker 10: He's on the sedatives.
Speaker 2: What did this identity switch start? You better hurry up. I smell smoke.
Speaker 10: I knew Van Bruton in Amsterdam. I knew about to say of his interest, and I knew that the girl in the office here had never seen Van Bruton. What let's go now.
Speaker 3: I don't get up. I can't feel it getting warm in here.
Speaker 2: The firefies. You will be safe, and don't be too sure. They always started the top floor and work their way down. Come on, I can hear those flames crying.
Speaker 10: You know the rest. Last night, when the transaction was all finished with Parry, I gave to Van Bruton someb sedative and his cocoa.
Speaker 3: You set up that bomb, so Perry get it before you showed up to pick up the check. Y'all.
Speaker 10: I told you that then it happened. That girl didn't know I was an impostor. I don't know how.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you.
Speaker 2: She's been sending old Van Bruton and they had two pays for the last four years. Gray Ones, my redheaded friend.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, let's get out of you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, out fo.
Speaker 2: Her expense account Item four a dollar forty night letter informing you the American Continental would have to meet payment of claim to missus Christine Ferry, innocent widow of the insured.
Speaker 3: The only thing she was guilty.
Speaker 2: Of was trying to stay on the right side of a hot tempered boyfriend. She lied about who she was with at the club Caprice, not to fix herself an alibi, but to keep al Donovan from learning that she'd been out with another guy, that guy being the real mister van Bruton, who had only taken her out to try to targument a reconciling with his friend her husband. Item five sixty dollars silver chafing dish wedding present for Christine and her new husband, al Donovan. That was at least she could do for the guy who had confessed to a murder he thought she had committed. Item six eight dollars flowers for Susan Gates Prison Hospital. Item seven fine for turning in false alarm. One thousand dollars and no cents. And that's what I think I'm beginning to get by getting into this racket.
Speaker 3: No sense.
Speaker 2: Expense account total twelve and sixty three dollars yours, truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we'll tell you about next week Johnny Adventure.
Speaker 3: But first this reminder.
Speaker 1: Just a little earlier tonight on CBS, Jack Bennet turned dractic actor on the Ford Theater. But this Sunday he'll be back again on his own show with a special treat for the Jack Benny fans. After the last broadcast on which the Ronald Coleman's appeared, thousands of letters came in from fans asking the Jack and Ronnie and Benita back again.
Speaker 3: Soon the Walkeagan Wit did, and Ronnie.
Speaker 1: And Benita, by popular demand, returned the Jack Benny programmed this Sunday in what should result in one of the most hilarious broadcasts of the year. So be sure to listen to mister and Missus Ronald Coleman on The Jack Benny Show, which is heard on all CBS stations this Sunday. Listening again next week when CBS brings You Yours Truly Johnny Dollar with Charles Russell as Johnny. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is written by Paul Dudley and gildowd with music by Mark Warnow, and is produced and directed by Richard sand Bill for CBS look Up and Be a Broadcasting System.
Speaker 6: Mhm m m m m mmmmmmmmm