Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to Local Agg, your place for all things Bedford County Ag. It is May fourteenth, twenty twenty six. I'm your host, Melody Divers from the Bedford County Ag Advisory Board. Today mark's our twenty first episode. So thank you Media Squatch for your community support. We appreciate y'all. All Right, so today we are venturing into a corner of the agworld that we actually haven't touched on before. Here at the podcast, we are talking goats. We have the folks from Country Blessings Farms. Well actually you're the solo show today. Avan all Fod is here and she is going to talk to us about goats. But we also want to share that their farm also has not just the registered dairy goats, but they have pasture raised hogs and registered angus cattle. So we just really want to hear about the goats and all that fun stuff because, like I was telling you before the show, my mom raised goats just for fun. There were pets, and they do have their own little personality. So welcome, We're glad.
Speaker 2: You thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, like I said, this is our first time talking about goats on the show, So just give it to a straight Are they really like the escape artists that everyone says they are.
Speaker 3: So what I tell a lot of the people that you know, buy goats from me is that as long as they have what they need within their fence and they don't have a reason to go outside of the fence, they typically are pretty good at staying in. Now, you can't just use the typical, you know, single wire electric fence to keep them in. They'll find their way out of that, and especially as tiny as those babies can get in, they'll they'll find a hole in the fence for sure.
Speaker 2: But as long as they've they're.
Speaker 3: Fed and not bored, I personally have not found it to be a huge issue. We use you know, the American wires pretty small you know, like four by four holes or cattle panel.
Speaker 2: Or something like that to to keep them in.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean as long as they're if they get hungry, if you miss a feeding, they will definitely find their way out somehow. But as long as they have what they need, they typically aren't just looking for ways to torture you.
Speaker 4: And so it's the planning.
Speaker 1: But also it sounds like you have relationship with them, and I'm sure they know what time it is with the being able to tell time. Yes, so we got the we got like the fun question out of the way, because everybody when you see, especially like you can see the cute little videos on TikTok and different things of goats doing the cutest thing, and you're like, that's so cute, but gosh, it would be hard to like raise them. So how many how many do y'all have registered?
Speaker 3: So ifs a lot, Like right now, I'm kind of at the tail end of kidding season, so I've got a lot of babies leaving, and then I even have some customers that are taking some of the mamas with them as well. So I usually have anywhere at the height of kidding season with all the babies and everything, I could have as many as thirty oh my goodness. But then once the babies find their new moms and everything, it definitely dwindles.
Speaker 2: I mean because goats. I've got one.
Speaker 3: Dough that will give me quads every single year, so yeah, so it's wow, we can go. The herd grows exponentially during kidding season and then falls off quickly once they all find a new home.
Speaker 1: So for folks that have never heard the term kiddings. Yeah, yeah, can you share with our listeners with ings and what that looks like on your farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So most goat farmers prefer to have all of their dough's kid you know, within pretty close successions, so it's all kind of happening at the same time, and you're just like in the season of it. And typically January February March, when it's like the dead of winter is a desirable time for a lot of goat farmers because it's harder for parasites to survive through those hard you know, cold nights or whatever.
Speaker 1: I would say, some people would probably be surprised, yes here, yes, that that.
Speaker 2: Is right the ideal time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it definitely adds a layer of stress to have you know, these like freezing you know, below zero nights and everything when you've got brand new babies.
Speaker 4: But and they never make their way in your house, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: No, never in your food stove or never in the guest bathroom.
Speaker 4: I got my note calves with us. Yes, we have had a calf or two.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: But it is always my goal for these goats to be damn raised, I do not don't. I don't need a baby goat or a bottle goat, right, So I have definitely supplemented, you know, like especially for a mama who's got quads or a first time mom, sometimes they get all overwhelmed and they're in shock and.
Speaker 4: They're sounds like you have strong mamas.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, if you can't raise your own kids, like I don't have time to reach your kids for you.
Speaker 4: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So kidding season normally, and also certain breeds only come into estris in the fall. Okay, then therefore with a five months or roughly one hundred and fifty for many breeds one hundred and fifty five day gestation for standard breeds. You know, if they're breeding in the fall, that has them kidding right in the middle of winter, end of winter January, February March. And what breeds do y'all have or like? Or so I started with Nigerian dwarf goades. It was a great way to learn, you know, they're so small and easily managed and don't require as much land and all that kind of stuff. So I started there, and then I fell in love with the standard new bands. They have these big long ears and they they actually, in my opinion, have a better personality. They're much more friendly. The Nigerians really make you earn your love, and the new bands are kind of like puppy dog, they'll seek it out. And so then I've got a really really great buck and so a Nigerian buck that I bred with the Nubians and made some mini Nubians, and so they're a really ideal breed because they are smaller in stature, so they're easier to manage. But their milk production is still or the volume of milk is way more than a Nigerian dwarf goat. And so the Nigerians are great. They have a higher butterfat content in their milk. So depending on what you're doing with milk, that would also determine maybe what breed you would go for.
Speaker 1: And just to remind listeners, the goats that you are raising are not meat goats. They are strictly dairy goats, and so their milk is okay for human consumption.
Speaker 4: And also the.
Speaker 1: Closed loop system you have here you're raising these beautiful babies and where their mothers.
Speaker 4: Are raising them, you're just that's right, exactly.
Speaker 1: You're just the MEMI Okay, these beautiful babies, but you're they are not up to eat, so they folks cannot order like goat chops, ye or anything like that. So when did you decide, Hey, we need to get into goats and we need to make like luxurious soaps and lotions, and like.
Speaker 4: How did you get from this to this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's interesting. I mean I was I was born and raised. I grew up in a swimming tennis neighborhood in like a could a stack outside of Atlanta, Georgia. So this was never at top of mind for me. I never would have imagined my life coming to this, but it was always a dream of my husband to have a farm and to have cows, and cows didn't really interest me that much when we moved out to the farm, and so I just kind of wanted my own thing to do on the farm.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: I started researching goats and really dove into it and found out what breed I wanted. And at the time, it was like, oh, this would just be cool for the girls. We have three young girls, and like this is something that they could be involved, you know, like having the kids around the cows is a little intimidating and scary at times because they're so large, but with the goats, they can really get involved and help out. And so yeah, So we started with just a doe and her brother, a weathered boy, and started there and while we just learned, I learned how to take care of them. And then from there I went back to the same breeder and got a mama with her kid on the side, and so that way I got to start experiencing milking and infant care and stuff like that, and then eventually dove into the breeding of it myself.
Speaker 2: So I took it really slow. I wanted to make sure to.
Speaker 4: Like understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, step along the way you yourself are mothering at the same time, right, Yeah, I was overwhelmed enough take the goats out of the equation, and you were still you have a lot on your plate. So I think that's probably the wise thing to do. That way you understand everything. So that way if you need to step back and evaluate exactly. So you talked about the goat milk that's being used in.
Speaker 2: Goat milk soap and goat milk lotions.
Speaker 1: But that's not the only fun thing you have then tell us about the other things that the other animals on your farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, once I felt like I kind of had my you know, my footing with the with the goats, I wanted to expand a little bit and got some pigs and started raising hogs for meat and the sausage and really really fell in love with them. That came pretty easily, the you know, just caring for the hogs. And I don't breed hogs. I just buy them as wieners, so at like eight ten months old, and then grow them out. And so it all kind of timed together at the same time. Again, just the same way. I you know, spent a lot of time researching the goats before I jumped into it. I was researching the goat milk soap a lot before I really started diving into it. And I kept reading about the benefits of lard and soap and how a lot of these articles and you know, blogs and stuff that I wrote or read, we're talking about how back in the day they used nothing but lard and lie and that's all the soap was made out of. And I thought, okay, well, like that's and you know, when I was first starting out, like I'm not trying to invest a whole bunch of money into something that I don't know how it's going to go. So here, I have this, you know, beef fat or a pig fat, Why don't I try it out? And I you know, goat milk has so many great properties for your skin and it's amazing and soap and people, there are some people I know that like exclusively use goat milk soap, but I personally feel that the lard in the soap is what truly makes it, that sets it apart from just like whatever bar of soap you're going to buy at the store.
Speaker 2: It makes it really creamy and soft and conditioning.
Speaker 3: And similarly with like beefel and beef towel is having a moment right now.
Speaker 2: Animal fat is closer to.
Speaker 3: Our skin microbiome than any other oils and butters and fats that you might find another skincare products, So your skin's ability to absorb it and really you know, make it go to work for you is much more efficient. And so yeah, I think the lard in the soap, especially combined with the goat milk, really makes okay, so you combined, yes, yeah, yeah, the soap has goat milk, lard, olive oil, cast or no, yeah, cast or oil, and coconut oil and that's it and many things. Yeah, and it's just it's really, like I said, I think the lard really sets it apart.
Speaker 1: When you were talking about that, I was thinking about some recipe cards that I had inherited, yes from, like I believe this particular one was my grandmother, and it was how to make lard soap.
Speaker 2: Oh really, oh yeah, oh cool.
Speaker 3: Well apparently it's you know, they use it a lot back in the day for like pie crusts and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had the lard for that, but she had a recipe under miscellaneous.
Speaker 4: So it was edible, you know that section, right.
Speaker 1: It was all also a recipe for making your own cough medicine and just different like salves and stuff.
Speaker 4: So when you said that, I was like.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing that in her handwriting. That was just it was just how it was done. I think that is That is great that you're taking the time and other folks are taking the time to really explore those things, and it's really honoring the whole animal because you're using your whole part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, otherwise it would just be left behind it the processor, so why not have them?
Speaker 4: You know, now I'm just going to be this is totally just meat being nosy.
Speaker 1: I'm envisioning one day you have like three kids animals and you're like, hey.
Speaker 4: Let's go in the kitchen and make lady, what of chaos did that look like? Or were you like I've got it all put together or was it like a little chaotic?
Speaker 3: Well, so, you know, the goat milk came first, and we were loving making ice creams and cheeses and the girls love good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's we were having so much money.
Speaker 3: It was so fulfilling to just go out to the barn and milk the goat and then bring bring it back in and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: But eventually I got overwhelmed with how much.
Speaker 3: Milk I had, and I was wondering, yeah, and then I'm like, okay, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 4: Like coming out of our ears right?
Speaker 3: And I something I look when I was looking up, like what can you do with goat milk? Soap or with goat milk? Obviously soap was one of them. But then I think I remember what happened brought me directly to the soap situation. Where people were like, well, you can freeze it, and freezing it is a great way to start it, or like that's the first step you have to do in goat milk soap because when you mix it with the lye, the lye melts it, and if you don't start with it frozen, the lie actually burns the fat in the milk, and so then you.
Speaker 4: Use it the science science, yes a lot.
Speaker 2: Which was not my strong student school, but I figured it out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think it wasn't chaotic because I was using it for me. You know, my girls were really young at the time, so for me it was an outlet.
Speaker 2: You know, it was a thing for just me where.
Speaker 1: I say, so it didn't seem this doesn't seem stressed. It seems like it naturally unfolded. Yes, it was like kind of what I needed, you know, in a way.
Speaker 3: It kind of fulfilled, you know, something that I was missing in myself where I like felt like I needed something.
Speaker 4: It was useful. You were making something useful, right, It seems very creative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is kind of my wheelhouse. That's you know, I love to create and work with my hands. So it was a really great symbiotic relationship between you know, what I had going on outside the house and then what you know I could use to fulfill myself when I was inside the house.
Speaker 1: And this is just totally offscript, pre goat days. What was your career path?
Speaker 3: So? Actually, I taught preschool here in Bedford for a while and I loved that job.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of fun. But then basically the farm kind of overtook.
Speaker 3: Like I found myself being really stressed out when I was at work thinking about all the things that needed to be done at the farm. My husband also works like a full time you know job during the week, so it just.
Speaker 4: So you worked with kids and then you work with kids.
Speaker 1: Be here all okay, oh my gosh, that's great. Okay, So you were already kind of in your career path used to multitasking, having like wyet little yes life, you were used to that, so it was probably easy for you to transition into that, maybe easier than someone that's just.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: Then the other thing is, do you so it's just the soaps correct their lotions or.
Speaker 3: Soap milk, goat milk, soap and lotion. Okay, then we also, you know, we process a couple of cows every year and use the beef fat for that. I make tallow whipped tallow, tallow bombs, tallow chapsticks, tallow face wash, basically anything I can.
Speaker 2: You know, okay, put animal fat in. I do now.
Speaker 1: I had someone ask me because we started selling I'm not making it somebody else's skincare tallow. So if this was a question someone had, if if someone has alpha goal, they should not use the callow stuff, but they are what about the goat milk?
Speaker 3: Well, because mine has a lard in it, it's probably not a good idea for them. Yeah, but I think typically goat milk, I mean everybody's alpha galley. Yeah, that's kind of different. Everybody has like different variations of it. My husband beat alpha gowl, so he just like he was like, I'm not going to be pork or be yeah, because his reaction just kind of got lesson yea every single time. But he didn't have it as of yours. And I don't suggest that for anybody, but.
Speaker 1: But just be aware that if this sounds interesting, Yes, Alpha.
Speaker 3: Which in this area seems to be just like every other person.
Speaker 4: I know you are right about that. Yeah, So do you have a website or do you go to market. Yes, so goodness.
Speaker 3: So I do the Bedford Farmer's Market every Saturday, which is so much fun. I mean, like that's another part of my personality that I love, you know, just being social and being able to meet people. And I've created a or you know, made a lot of relationships with people through that and again being a stay at home mom, farmer whatever. To be able to go to the market and be surrounded by people and like the community of the market and everything is super fulfilling and a lot of fun. I have a website, ceybefarm dot com. Uh, all the social medias we're on all the social media and everything. And so actually I have a lot of customers that will just like message me either on Facebook or Instagram and be like, hey, I want this or that and I either meet up with them in town or I put it out on my front porch and they come grab it and yeah. So there's tons of ways to access it, and I try to make it as easy as possible.
Speaker 2: Beat you'll come deliver it, I'll you know.
Speaker 1: So this coming Saturday, you'll be at the Farmer's Market. Yes, And what will your farm have this weekend?
Speaker 3: So this weekend, I'll have all my normal goat milk, soaps, lotions, all the tallow products. I actually now I've started making tallow dish soap that people are loving. It's yeah, it's really cool. It's it's like in a ramikin and then you have a brush that goes it and then when it runs out, I sell.
Speaker 2: Like a refill.
Speaker 3: So it's zero waste, really easy, and I've been getting a lot of really good feedback on it. People are really enjoying it and excellent. To day, I'll have all that, and then I'll also have we tried a new processor out that I really like for the pork, and so I've got three different flavors of brats that I think will be.
Speaker 2: Fun for people to throw in the gill because we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have good some weather, yeah exactly, and then some some of my passionates sausage that people love.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think that's it for the meat. But all the all the.
Speaker 3: Normal soaps and lotions and body products and everything, all right.
Speaker 4: So they can find you have a website. You're at the Bedford Farmers.
Speaker 2: Oh and the well.
Speaker 3: Can't talk about that. Yeah, I sell my products at the Well. So Mary Joe and her husband that owned the well. They're great people and love them, and she became a really good customer of mine, and she got her twin sister hooked on the tallow too, and then she actuals, why.
Speaker 2: Don't you sell this at the well? And I'm like, oh, my gosh, yes, of course I'd love to.
Speaker 3: So that's great too, because like if somebody's looking for something specific and maybe you know, it's a weekend. You last weekend I wasn't at the market because I had, you know, a friend that got married, So I can tell them, oh, well, just go to the.
Speaker 2: Well and grab it, you know. Great, Yes, that's awesome exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And how in a month, how many days do you spend like creating?
Speaker 3: So I typically try and like do it like I try and just like put my head down and hunker down and make so like the beginning of this week, I made probably eighty bars of soap, And that way it can give me then a couple of days off to get back up on, you know, all the other things that are going on. But you know, if you're making one batch of soap, you can make four in the same amount of time.
Speaker 2: Basically, So it's easy, easier to do it.
Speaker 4: All at home.
Speaker 1: The other night, I was cooking dinner for that night, and then I was like, I'm going to go ahead and get.
Speaker 4: To my night exactly, just not just get the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Off standing at the stove.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and well let this simmer.
Speaker 1: I can go ahead and get this done so tomorrow just pop it in the crack pot exactly. So that's just good, good kitchen wisdom. Yes, And I think we would be remiss if we did not talk about the name of your farm. Yeah, So if you need to get in your feelings on that, I probably will. But getting your feelings I need to, but really tell us that the uh, the name is count your blessing, and that's plural.
Speaker 4: Because you got more than one.
Speaker 1: But that's right, that's right, And so to share with us that and just maybe anything else that you think we need to know.
Speaker 2: So the name is kind of a tribute to our oldest daughter.
Speaker 3: So our oldest daughter was born with a really rare genetic mutation that has left her pretty significantly cognitively and physically delayed. So at twelve years old, she has developed about like a six month old. So she can't walk or talk or feed herself. I mean, a simple water has to be provided for her.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing. And so.
Speaker 3: Our entry into parenthood was pretty rough, and you know, those first probably five or six years were you know, a struggle. But we also quickly learned that, like, we can't sit in the space forever, we can't just live in the grief forever, and so we have to find a way to get through it and the easiest way to do that. I mean, it's like clinically proven that when you sit down and think about what you're grateful for and you list it out and you remind yourself of all the good things that you have, it does a lot for your mental health and for your psyche and for just your outlook on life in general.
Speaker 2: And you know, being a part.
Speaker 3: Of the disability community and being in waiting rooms at specialty hospitals and doctors' offices and stuff, we really were able to gain a new perspective of like, wow, yeah, we were dealt a pretty rough card, but we're also visibly seeing just how bad it, you know, it could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are people who would kill to have our problems. You know, we don't.
Speaker 3: While she, you know, deals with a lot, and we do by proxy of her. We're not necessarily like scared for her life, and not every parent is lucky enough to say that, and so that's just something we just got to count our blessings sometimes when we're in a bad rough season, we just have to remember just how lucky we are. And yeah, we were blessed enough to go on and have two more really beautiful, healthy girls that really just light up our world, and they love living on the farm and everything, and you know it kind of having that experience with her primed us for so many other things. You know, farming will really test your resolve and your patience and kind of same thing, just trying to always remember just how lucky we are to have the resources that we have, to have the family support that we have, to have so many things that most people would kill to have, you know. And then my husband was actually diagnosed with bladder cancer a couple of years ago, and so that same mentality really brought.
Speaker 2: Us, carried us through that situation because.
Speaker 3: You know, bladder cancer won't kill him, but it'll be it'll be a tough fight for the rest of his life. But you know, you're sitting in the oncology waiting room and like you know, a kid walks in and it's just like geez, yeah, okay, this this isn't great. We don't love this. We wouldn't have chosen this for ourselves. But man, are we lucky that this is all we're dealing.
Speaker 4: With, you know, sources and the right.
Speaker 2: And like exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, you've got people who have brain tumors, You've got parents that are helping their kids fight cancer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we can deal with a little bladder cancer. He'll be right.
Speaker 3: And so he was able to maintain a really great attitude through the whole thing. And if it weren't for my oldest you know, I don't know that we would have the resolve and the perspective to always be counting our blessings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: I a big proponent of children and women anyway, have educator. That was my first career. Uh So, I do believe that mental health has such a valuable aspect to our health.
Speaker 4: And I write I write in my gratitude journal every night, even in the days that I'm like this was such a bad way.
Speaker 1: But like you said, there are people that would give anything our bad day, would be their good day exactly. So you would just have to really keep things in perspective, because if you let the negative thoughts and things like that get a foothold, it really, you know, medically and mentally will bring you down. And how as a mother with three children and then knowing that one has special capabilities with your heart, how how do you manage that for the mama's listening? How do you how do you do all of that and still have the care and the.
Speaker 4: Yeah good attitude that you have.
Speaker 3: Well, definitely with the younger ones to just get them involved, you know, I make them do it. I have I have a really funny picture of my youngest sitting on a portable potty on the back of the the mule because I'm like, well, we're in the middle of potty training, but we got to.
Speaker 4: Go feed the cows, like, we got to go do stuff.
Speaker 2: We just bring the potty with us. You know.
Speaker 3: It's just you just kind of learn to adapt along the way. But as far as you know, with my oldest, where I'm incredibly, incredibly lucky and blessed to have help, I ask for help, And that was something that took me a long time to figure out. But but yeah, I rely on a lot of help, and I'm really lucky that I have a lot of support and I have the help.
Speaker 2: That we have.
Speaker 3: And but yeah, and then you know, I think also not only kids, but you know, your husband and your the relationship that you have. I hop in that mule with him and if I can, and even if it's just to go feed the cows together or go ride through the we.
Speaker 4: Call farm dates.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right, grab little cocktail, grabbing, hop in the.
Speaker 2: ATV and go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, and just just try and do it together if you can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a whole other episode.
Speaker 1: When you work with your husband and you raise children and your all the things like, yeah, that is that's still very important to still like date your spouse and not just become business partners.
Speaker 4: But that's the whole another episode or two.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it has been so lovely chatting with you and getting to know more about your family and your farm. But I my favorite part was the reasoning of your farm names. That was that was the best part of the interview. So thank you for sharing all of this, share your website and where you'll be next.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's Cybfarm dot com. We're on Facebook Instagram as County Blessing's Farm, and then we'll be at the Bedford Farmers Market this Saturday and almost every single Saturday through the month of September. It's right here on what is it Washington Washington Street from eight to new and then you can also find it at the Well at Bedford.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Thank you. All Right, Mackenzie, we're gonna turn the rest of the episode over to you. Mackenzie. Mother is here. She is the superintendent for the Bedford County Fair, and I really am just gonna let her say whatever she wants to say. Yeah fair, Okay, cool deal. Well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: First, I'd like to say just how excited we are for the Bedford County Fair to return again this year. So the Fair will take place August twenty first through the twenty third at Liberty Lake Park in Bedford. So we're working hard to create an event that still has something for everyone and also keeping that strong agriculture and community based foundation. We are also partnering again with the Toms family at Allen's Mountain Livestock Company to again host the Livestock and Horseshow piece of the fair that will be held September fifth and sixth at their farm on Timber Ridge in Bedford. So lots of exciting additions while also keeping some of those traditional pieces that you were used to seeing at the carnival portion of the fair.
Speaker 4: So we'll have a lot of great.
Speaker 5: Food vendors, non food vendors. We're excited to also get to include the home goods and the art contests back at one central location.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 5: We're working on and closing the pavilion that's at Liberty Lake Park to get to include those, so you can check those out while you get some fair food and go ride some midway rides. We'll have the old McDonald tent again with the livestock and local Yeah four h and f FA kids, So that's always a big hit to walk through.
Speaker 4: And I just checked that out.
Speaker 1: Ducklings they're there, like, yes, but I can perseverate on every year and I'm not even a bird person. Yeah, not to be mean, I don't know bird person, but those ducklings they just have my heart.
Speaker 4: The duck slide is iconic. Yeah, everyone loves that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's just like if you walk by there and you don't smile, you don't have a sult that's right.
Speaker 4: They are just precious, right.
Speaker 5: I guess some of the new additions that we're looking forward to having this year at the fair, We've typically always had evening entertainment, so we'll have that and beyond, so I'm excited for kind of just a general rundown of what that side of it looks like. Friday will have that's our opening fair day, so that'll start at four pm. We've got an entertainer in the evening, and then we're actually going to wrap that night up with a line dancing instructor. So that's something new that seems to be a pretty popular thing for all ages of our area, so we're.
Speaker 4: Excited to have that.
Speaker 5: Saturday, we'll have our Community Expo that morning, which is usually from ten to twelve, and we're working on a partnership with the Medford County Animal Shelter to hopefully host an adoption event as part of the community expo, So I think that'll be a really meaningful new piece to add to that community event that kind of gives people a chance to come through and check out some of our local partners before the madness of rides and cotton candy and lemonades and all that you know. Kicks off at noon, which is when our Midway opens on Saturday. As far as entertainment goes, we'll have several live bands throughout the day on Saturday into the evening night hours, so those will be announced here soon. And then Sunday, of course, fair grounds open at twelve. We'll have the Midway opens again at twelve on Sunday as well, and Sunday we have our Community Talent Show. So this was something that we had years ago when the fair was at Glenwood and it just kind of lost its I guess the head hon show of running that up, so it just kind of fell to the wayside. But I'm excited to bring that back again this year. So Sunday we'll have the Community Talent Show. Registration will be open soon for that. We'll have youth and open divisions with some awesome prizes for our winners there, and then we'll round out Sunday afternoon with a kid's dance party with DJ Showtime. So that was really fun last year. John John was great and got everybody motivated and all the kids out having a good time and enjoying the last day of the fair. So we're really looking forward to being back and partnering with the town who graciously lets.
Speaker 1: Us host the fair to say, they're wonderful hosts. Yes, very amicable.
Speaker 4: To work with, very much so.
Speaker 5: And then of course we're very gracious for Jody and Richard Toms who will again be hosting the livestock and Horses show that's again September fifth and sixth. We're swapping things around a little bit this year and the livestock piece of the show will be on Saturday the fifth and the open horse show will be on Sunday the sixth. So all of the events the fair as well as the horse and livestock show are free entry, free parking. So that's something that we've tried to hold value in is you know, offering a fun, family friendly thing that's affordable for our community. So as far as the livestock and Horse Show goes, we want to see spectators come out, check out your you know, your local youth and adult exhibitors there. Saturday will consist of hogs, sheep, goats, cattle classes. Usually they get started at about eight and run into the early afternoon, and then Sunday we'll have the open horse show, so that'll have everything from mini's and draft horses, hunter horses, Western horses, and then we've got some some games and speed classes incorporated to the end of the show, so we look forward to well grounded out of it. Yes, we've got a little something for everybody. Rather you're showing or you're coming to watch. Yep, yep, so I guess. As far as community members, if you'd like to get involved, we encourage people to follow along on our social media pages for updates and announcements and then also schedules and applications of those become available, So we are pretty active on our Bedford County Fair Facebook page, and then we also have a new and improved website which is Bedford vafair dot org, so you can check out all the schedules and excitement and it's also got you know, opportunities for volunteer opportunities as well as sponsor and vendor applications on the site as well.
Speaker 4: And the vendor applications are live. They are yep, that's good.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: They're live for both food and non food vendors.
Speaker 5: We've already started making selections for of those, so if you're interested I would recommend you know, getting on that and getting your application. And now because we've we've had a lot of interest in both sides of that, so they are live on the website and Miss Carolyn and myself have been working through those and have someone selected. So it's all becoming very real and hapen. It's sneaking up, honest. Yeah, I'll be here before we know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to reiterate the fair. When we say fair, we're not talking about the live stock correct portion. We're talking about the home goods, the carnival, that's right, the music, that kind of live entertainment. Yeah, that's at Liberty Lake Park and that's tell us the dates.
Speaker 4: August twenty first through the twenty.
Speaker 1: Third, and now it's free gate admission, but your rides that is a cost, and there will be like risk band days.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: So risk bands are and I believe tickets as well are available on site during the fair. Okay, parking and admission is free, your ride wristbands and tickets and food, your other directions are sold there. That's like y'all yep, and the midway hours, tell folks again what that looks like. Yes, So the fair opens at four, the Midway will also be opened. Then we're open our kickoff day on Friday from four to ten, and then the fair grounds are open on Saturday from ten to ten, but the Midway does not open until twelve.
Speaker 4: So that's if you.
Speaker 5: Want to come check out the community expo, we have that ten to twelve hour period where mainly up around the pavilion you'll see like local community partners like nonprofits.
Speaker 4: Correct, yep.
Speaker 5: And at twelve is when the Midway and most of the food vendors, everything on the lower portion like.
Speaker 4: In the baseball feeling right right.
Speaker 5: That will open at twelve and run until ten, okay, And then Sunday we're open twelve to six.
Speaker 1: All right, And then so parking is available on site, correct. We also have shuttles available shuttle locations. Those should be squared away and advertise on both social media and our website. So if you don't wish to park on site and you know, fight the traffic, you can park at one of our shuttle locations and we'll have several shuttles running to drop off and take back to vehicles.
Speaker 4: Okay, anything else you think we need to know?
Speaker 5: Not anything specific, I guess I just want to give a shout out to those who have continued to support the Fair and we look forward to having you and hope you'll come check out some of the new exciting things that we're adding this year. And we're just, you know, as always grateful for our community, for the for the support and the for the County Fair, and.
Speaker 4: We're thankful for your leadership. So thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we're gonna wrap this up today. It has I've turned my notes to the side. I haven't even been looking at my notes because it's just been such a friendly, around the kitchen table kind of conversation.
Speaker 4: So I'm just gonna end
Speaker 1: With thanking our guests for being here and to just reiterate to support local bag There's so many different ways you can do that, and y'all be good to yourself and be good to others.