Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and we have Kennedy McCall in here. She's the agricultural educator here with our Washington County OSU Extension Office. And it's that time of year, isn't it, Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Is that time of year.
Speaker 1: We've got the big annual plant singal coming up. Tell us all about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So every year our Master Gardeners, they're an association within the Washington County Extension Office, they put on an annual plant sale, typically at the Washington County Fairgrounds across office there. It's a huge deal. We sell out every single year. Really popular thing and good time for that where we think we're past all of our freezes, so great time to get your planes in.
Speaker 1: Well, this is great indoors at you're convenience. So you have to worry about wind, rain, snow for you for necessarily protected from it, but you know, anything that Oklahoma can throw at you, you're going to be in there enjoying the wonderful world of gardening. So I would ask how many plans you got, but probably the shorter ants would be what don't you have, But we're just going to say we have a big selection.
Speaker 2: We have a huge selection, so we have it buy our master gardeners. We have some greenhouses out behind our office and they take care of all that starting from seed. So it'll be vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, all kinds of stuff. Those are gown by them. Best prices you're going to find in town. They really selling pretty cheap, great selection all out, and then we also have some pollinator plants. We've got our butterfly boxes that are super popular, so those will come with some natives, some milk weeds, things like that sell out really quick, awesome selection. We'll have some succulents and this year we're going to do culinary herbs as well, which would become kind of popular. And then we also have our pass along So those are things that our master gartners have grown and they've propagated and are repotting for the public to buy.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, So what's the day?
Speaker 2: It is a sixth a Saturday, Yes, and it's from eight to one or sell out and I'll tell you know, it's flooded at seven forty five, so come early bring your wagons whatever you want to fill with, and the master gardeners are all there to help you make your selections as well.
Speaker 1: That is great. Now you've been kind of busy with soil testing heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have this.
Speaker 1: We got Larry, our garden guy. He comes in from the greenhouse and he says both so if you don't know what you're working with, you need to get you everybody's been coming up to see you.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we've been really busy. Soils the basis for everything growing. So you can come to our office or we'll come out to you get your soil tested and get it prepared for all these plants you're going to buy.
Speaker 1: Now. The thing is is that you can live in one town, but it not one soil fits all. I mean, just Bartlesville alone, you probably have anywhere from three to four different types of soil. Compass this in the different yards.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do. We see quite a wide variety. And what's cool about ours is we can test it, whether it be your lawn, your garden, your pasture. We can tailor it to whatever you're wanting to grow and then give you recommendations on that.
Speaker 1: Oh you can do you go that far too. Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: So you bring it to us, we send it to the lab and they bring it back and then we'll give you recommendations to help you grow whatever you want to.
Speaker 1: You know, you cleared something up because there are a lot of folks thinking, well, I'm going to get a sheet of paper and it's going to say clad over there and just be dead.
Speaker 2: Is really helpful if you're just getting started, or if you're pretty experienced and you just want a good basis for growing.
Speaker 1: Now there are okay, we are right there next to the high school, right across from the fairground. Yeah, fairground building. So you're easy to find.
Speaker 2: We're easy to open Monday to Friday, eight to four thirty.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we do want everybody to come out on the twenty sixth. They're at the fairground buildings and we are going to have the big annual plouts usually or when you.
Speaker 2: Sell it, yes, last year.
Speaker 1: That's just got to be fair.
Speaker 2: It's fun. It's busy and fun, that's right, My.
Speaker 1: Goodness sakes, that is really great. And the lowest price is so you don't have to worry about it, you know, Oh my gosh, yeah, you know, your garden's gonna look great on a budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are nations for growing the plants that you buy as well.
Speaker 1: You know, the butterfly garden thing has really gained a lot of popularity over the last ten fifture kind of.
Speaker 2: Back butterfly populations, bee populations, and those pollinator boxes are great for doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to worry about the bees because if they go by by, we're pretty close right behind you. We're like weeks maybe months away from this we're going.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, we want to protect the bees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do. Some people will say, well, oh my gosh, well the bees stinging. Well, the bees feed you too. Yeah, that's right. Really, you don't mess with the bee. Mister b will not mess with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we at the box, I can tell you how to plant it, and it's beaut on it and when.
Speaker 1: You see them go to work, you realize just how miraculous.
Speaker 2: Nature is and our master gardeners. I believe it was last year at the Freefair it was based around pollinator So they try to provide edgingalk just selling you the plant. They want you to be educated as well.
Speaker 1: I remember that next year at the Rebuilds too.
Speaker 2: Yes, it has. It's been amazing and I think this year's theme will be really cool. And we have another great setup for this year with our master Gardner booth. We're I know, I don't spill any beams, but it will be awesome.
Speaker 1: It will be awesome. So, Kennedy McCall, how do we get a hold of you? Do you have social to the Washington County OSU Extension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can actually search Washington County OSU Extension And we have a Facebook page through the universe or a page through the university, and then we have two Facebook pages, one for just agriculture and one specifically for our master gardeners, and all the information as well as the flyer is posted there.
Speaker 1: I have one question I've been dying to ask you. Okay, how does one become a master gardener?
Speaker 2: Well, it's pretty intense. You get to take the classes, which we just wrapped up on Tuesday. We'll just come a volunteer with us. So if you're ever in interest to give her off and we'll get you on the list for it.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, Okay, because you know master partner. Yeah, and you're thinking, oh my gosh, this person with like five extra years of college tells me. You know, that's one of those things that you never get tired of doing. And you can do that whether you're a young person, and you can keep on doing it till you can't move anymore. And most people do.
Speaker 2: That, and most people do that's right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a it's a it's more than just a hobby. It becomes a passion.
Speaker 2: Yes, our office, you'll see the demo beds out front, and that's curtisself. Bartlesville Library as well. They have all kinds of projects throughout.
Speaker 1: Goodness sakes well, Kennedy, I want to thank you for being here with us folks the twenty six to be there when the door's open at eight to get your seats, or the annual plant sale in the paragram. Thanks for being with you so much. Folks. You've been watching and listening to our community Connection program.