Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So we've had this conversation before and I don't really remember the outcome of it. But so the portal closes on April twenty second for college basketball and I think and college football players. So with that, does that mean at midnight tonight it's done. I've always thought.
Speaker 3: That it meant that that day is the last day, and I think that's the case.
Speaker 2: But either way, as the show started, I thought, okay, well, most of the guys that we're going to hit the portal would have already done it, and it's probably, you know, over there won't be many names hit the portal by the time you know it officially ends. But I guess I was wrong. Brandon holy Hatfield, remember him, He's at the portal. I'm not sure what kind of a kind of school he's looking to get to, but he made some good money here. I'm sure he made money at inc State, And you know, to me, he was somebody that I believed would have have been not not beneficial to stick around like I think it made total sense for a complete, complete overhaul here and that's really what was needed to just kind of start fresh. But he was the one guy, if there's one, that I feel like in the in the second season with Kenny Payne, like you know, the team was a mess and his numbers probably mean his numbers meant very little because they came against blowout and blowout losses. But you could tell he had some skill to him, right he and I really thought that in C State he would be good for him. But man, talk about a bad I mean, he started his career at Tennessee as a freshman, played a little bit, then he transferred to Louisville where they won four games, and then his second season at Louislle they won eight games and they transferred NC State, and I this is probably an exaggeration, but in the moment, I truly felt like watching Louisville up forty or something at Raleigh against Keats, I thought that NC State team at times in that game was the closest thing I'd seen from a Kenny Payne coach Louisville team just because they were a mess in every way, but you could tell they didn't have elite talent. They certainly didn't have great talent, but like they should not have been nearly as bad as they were. So Huntley Hatfield Man, he went from one disaster to another and ended up. You know that coach has gone now and he's looking for a new home.
Speaker 3: So and this is what.
Speaker 2: Interests me, that I be honest with you, I'm kind of knee deep into to look it into it during the break to see what this whole thing is.
Speaker 3: But there are two players.
Speaker 2: From Clemson that have hit the portal, and you probably recognize these names. Jaden Zachary, who is a guard who started actually Boston College, transferred to Clemson that was there with Brad Brownwell for the last few years. And then the big fella, Ian Scheiflin, who does not at all look like a player, but pretty effective, pretty good player. Those two guys have hit the portal. And they are two guys that do not have eligibility and yet they've hit the portal, Like, how can you even do that?
Speaker 3: Like I feel like you should have.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the process is to hit the portal, but like, shouldn't you have to put in like your your social or something like that, and it'll determine if you could enter the portal and if you don't have eligibility, then you can enter. I mean, I doubt the NSTAA has something that's sophisticated because they can't do much of anything the way it should be done. But this is from Pete Nacho's from mon three Sports, who again earned a lot of a lot of credit when it comes to his reporting when he was the one who actually had it right about Nico and Knoxville, where his dad's saying that this report is untrue and calling this reporter names. And yet this guy was absolutely right and went against the guys, the player's dad and ended up, you know, sticking to his guns and trusting his sources, and he was right.
Speaker 3: So this is what he reports.
Speaker 2: Was told by a source that Clemson is letting Shiflin and Jaden Zachary enter the portal despite the players not having any eligibility remaining in case a lawsuit allows players five years of eligibility. So this is where I mean, I feel like this is kind of sad. I mean, I don't blame him, right, if you you know, if you've got a chance, you know, why not take a chance. Just what do you have to lose if it doesn't work out right, If you get an extra year, then then hell yeah, I mean you probably a few of these players you're thinking, yeah, my college career is over, but you know, why not at least enter the portal and let things play out. And who knows, maybe I wake up one day and I realize I can play again, Like there's no harm in that.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just something that's become kind of odd about entering the portal with no eligibility and no real case to argue that you should get a waiver to get another year, you know what I mean, Like one thing, if you are appaying for a medical red shirt or you're doing the JUCO thing. I don't think he has a I don't think he will or should win it. But the big fellow from Charleston that is out of eligibility, he's lost. His lawsuit claims that the NCABLEA should not tell him he's no longer eligible when he's got a million dollars on the table to go play somewhere because they're counting his eligibility when when he was at D two again. I don't understand how you would even win that, because the JUCO rule is different, because the ju Juco is not a part of the nstable at all, and they're taking years of eligibility from you that you did not use under in one of their member institutions. That makes sense. So D two, it's still in stuble A. I mean, it should still count. So there's really no harm, I suppose, And you know, just seeing what happens, right, it's like playing the lottery when you buy a ticket for a buck, Like you know, that's all you lost is a dollar. If you win, change your life, Like why not do it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But I don't know, it just seems kind of I mean, again, maybe as I talk through it here, it's not sad because again, I'm sure these guys, most of them are aware. I guess what would make it sad is if they truly don't know what to do with their life at all, and they're like just living in complete delusion and denial that their college career after six or seven years is finally over. That's where it would be sad. But I highly doubt that that's the situation for a lot of these guys. But Jeff Goodman reports there are six players in the portal from the ACC that are seeking another year, and there's no justification as to why they would get another year other than hoping that the NCAA just decides they're gonna give players five years of eligibility just to do it. I mean, that's isn't that kind of sad? Again, the naas never seen more beatable in court, right, Like, it seems like right now you can go do anything and you just hold you know, you dare him to kind of challenge you, and if they do, you hire a lawyer.
Speaker 3: They lose.
Speaker 2: That's been pretty routine when it comes to the NCAA's battles as of late. But these are guys like, for example, ft and Reed is a big man from wake Forest. He's played four seasons, one year at LSU one a Gonzaga to a wake Forest, played in one hundred and eighteen games. My man, your run is over, your eligibility is done. I mean it's time to go be a doctor. Yeah, refresh that LinkedIn bio brother, Like, come on now, I'm sure you got your degree. Although I did see something and I'm not saying this guy didn't have a degree, But this is one of the downsides of the portal. I mean, you can still you know, it's worth doing it. But when you bounce around from school to school, not everything's going to transfer to where you may be eligible. You know, that's a really low bar to be eligible play.
Speaker 3: But like you.
Speaker 2: Obtaining you know, your degree as far as keeping yourself on track, like if you're changing mid if you're changing majors and all that, and certain things transfer and others don't. You could play four years of college basketball at three different schools and still be two years away from actually getting your degree. Again, it's probably is still worth it because again, you're making a lot of money. And I would assume a lot of these guys who are transferring the reason they're doing it is because they're making money. So I mean, in four seasons, f Fton Reed played in an average of twenty nine and a half games. Lucas Taylor is Syracuse. Don't even know who this guy is. He's played five seasons, two at Wake, one at Georgia State, one at Syracuse. Now he's only played ninety one career games. Eddie Lampkin Junior, this guy's been everywhere. I remember him six to eleven, big guy who played at Syracuse last year. Five seasons, one hundred and thirty seven career games, three at TCU, one at Colorado, won at Syracuse. My man, it is over. The run has come to an end. And you had a hell of a career. I mean not legendary, but I mean you got to experience awful Syracuse. But before that, you know, you were out in beautiful Colorado, teammates with the one and only Javon Hadley, and then at TCU played for Jamie Dixon. And I'm sure you had you know, had a good time there. But it's over. Brother, starts your life. Ben Middlebrooks n C State, oh four seasons, two of them were at NC State most recently, and then two at Clemson. Played one hundred and thirty one career games, went to a final four, like you you should have just walked then.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jalen Blackman, I remember this guy, by the way, four seasons, one hundred and nine career games. He played at Grand Canyon for a year, played at Stetson for two, and then went at Miami last year. Christian Tucker, he's transferring out of Cal. One hundred and twenty career games in four seasons, played three at UTSA and then this last season at CAL.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're probably gonna get told no. I guess the question is this, if you realize in your mind, why not do it? The NCAA has been, you know, just giving out waivers like crazy lately. Why not try this again? There's no harm in that. And if you have a plan post basketball, and you can put that plan on hold if you get another year again, there's no real harm. However, I mean, I feel like it's embarrassing to these guys. Maybe maybe I'm an a hole for thinking this is something they should be embarrassed about. Maybe they shouldn't be embarrassed at all. But like, I think the more this, the more this is talked about, allowed like people will really like this is sad. I mean, there's a lot more sad stuff going on in the world today. But I mean Rain Smith, by the way, is the first response under Jeff Gubbin's sweet that mentioned all these players in the acc He said, can I get another year?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why can't Rain try it? I mean maybe I would then say it's but here's the answer.
Speaker 3: Brain.
Speaker 2: Smith is aware of like life like, he's not delusional. He understands that his runs come to end. He obviously would would would. I'm sure love to come back to college if he can. But you know, he's aware that it's over. So he's joking when he says kind of get another year. He's not entering the portal. He knows that college basketball had a good four year career. What also, I think it's kind of sad is that like Clemson under Brad brown Well, which, by the way, if there was ever any truth that Brad brown Well being a legitimate candidate in Indiana, that's scary because that guy, I mean, he made an elite eight last year at Clemson, but that was a one off. Like Brad burn Well's been a mid coach at best, and the only time he wasn't awful, like he somehow survived a really you know, awful stretch as their coach. Not awful, but you know, I mean like he wasn't good by any means, and every year you'd be like, oh, they're going to bring him back, and they did for a long time, and then he started to become more successful in the ACC. You know, when the league fell off a cliff and all they really good coaches that been there for a long time, they moved on. So what's really sad about Clemson basketball is I feel like they know we're not gonna be able to go get a lot of talent in the portal, and you know, we're probably going to be back to being Clemson basketball and just being known for football. So let's just have these guys who helped us make a run to the Elite eight that are out of eligibility, that really fit Brad Brown, Well, let's have them hit the portal and just see what happens, because that's our best bet of you know, not going back to being Clemson basketball of old. All right, it's coffee and Company. We're feel about Thordon's here on Sports Talk seven to nine. He've been a busy, busy show so far. Here on a Monday. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Hopefully you had a good Easter weekend. I know I certainly did and enjoyed Easter Sunday. We got lucky with the weather. It was supposed to rain I think at some point Saturday and Sunday, and it missed us at least it missed me where I was out and about doing stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's always good. You know, you never want a rainy weekend.
Speaker 2: But whenever you kind of just accept it because that's what the forecast looks like, and then you realize, sure enough, you're able to get some things in on the weekend that you didn't expect. There's that spontaneous component to it that's like, you know what, didn't think I'd be out here doing this on the weekend here, but hell yeah, so you know, hopefully you guys had a good Eastern. All right. We've talked about the NFL Draft today and we'll continue to do that throughout the week because you know, we're just a few days away from the draft. And when it comes to Tyler Shuck, he continues to be discussed as a guy that will be one of the first quarterbacks taken.
Speaker 3: And I believe that's the truth.
Speaker 2: I guess what it comes down to is that, like I don't believe this is smoke screen that like, this guy's not at all on the radar. He's just you know, there's some kind of a strategy here to put it out there and see who takes the bait. Like you know, this is a little bit of I mean, this is a big time exaggeration when it comes to like a hypothetical, But like I bet there's been guys in the NFL that got drafted and they really just got punked, meaning the teams that drafted them.
Speaker 3: Like, we don't really know.
Speaker 2: What everybody loves about this guy, but man, everybody's talking about him, and here he is available for us in the third round.
Speaker 3: We got to take him.
Speaker 2: Like, I bet that's happened, because that's how Caddy and like, you know, paranoid and really, I guess competitive the NFL is when it comes to this kind of stuff. So to hear Adam Schefter report today that he's talked to people who actually believe that Chuck is the best quarterback in this draft, that's crazy. Now, I don't think that, you know, I don't think anybody's claiming he's going to be taken in the first taken it's the first quarterback. But what if he was. I mean, he won't be, but like it'd be crazy. So I think just just guessing here, that's what we're all doing. I would I think that a first round pick is probably not likely at this point, but I think the scenario is this. It could be a team in the later rounds that doesn't need a quarterback right now, but they know they will soon, and they like him enough to where they're thinking, Okay, we're not going to let this guy passes by. We think he's the best quarterback in this draft. And you know, we never thought he'd be here, but this will keep us from having to maybe go out and you know, hope for a much better quarterback class next year in the draft. So again, I can't remember the last time I was a six sided for a draft where I'm just wanting to see what happens with with the Louisville player. Again, with Lamar a little different because you know, I just was you know, the lead up to the draft was like, Oh, he's gonna be He's gonna be a top fifteen guy, no, no doubt. I mean he's He's Lamar And sure enough, like all that yapping about the concerns was clearly true because he didn't go to the last pick of the draft, but clearly that that worked out well for him. All right, So back to basketball here, A couple people have asked the same kind of question, and that is, you know, who is Louisville Like, who are they going to try to finish out their roster with? And I don't know, I mean I think the Florida State transfer Jamiir Watkins. There was a report I believe from Trilie Donovan that he was visiting Louisville that sound that that. I don't think that was true. Louisvill was involved, and I don't know where they stand as of now. However, he's He's not somebody that that that visited unless you know, they kept it super secret.
Speaker 3: So I wish I had an answer for you.
Speaker 2: But for those that you know, I don't think they're waiting for Casein in order to figure out what they want to do. I believe they're operating as if they have Casein. And again, he hasn't put anything out that I've seen that says like he's entering the portal or anything. So with the deadline approaching, I mean, I think it'd be a real big shocker if he doesn't end up back at Louisville, because again, he hasn't even hit the portal yet to be recruited by their schools. So I would assume right now, whatever it is they're doing behind the scenes to try to finish out this roster, Pat Kelsey and his staff are doing that with case and Pryor being a part of it, and I think that's what they should be doing. But as far as you know, like the best players available, you're looking at PJ. Haggerty, which by the way, sounds like his four million dollar price tag as well as wanting to have total point.
Speaker 3: Guard duties like that, that's had a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe he gets it somewhere, but a lot of Jeff Goobman reported that a lot of the big time schools have already kind of pulled out and and you know, they're not gonna they're not gonna get in the sweepstakes there. Our J louis still available and I haven't heard much about really anything as far as where he may end up. But yeah, for the most part, a lot of these guys that are you know, highly regarded from the portal have already decided where they're going to go.
Speaker 3: And you know, I would.
Speaker 2: Imagine that Louisville's next pieces from the portal will probably not be guys that are you know, viewed as like everybody wants, because again, their roster's pretty much set.
Speaker 3: Like at guard.
Speaker 2: If you're selling the guard position right now, I mean, good luck telling somebody you know, like go, good luck going and getting a really good player that has a lot of options to come in and be you know, you could tell them he can compete, and he's gonna have an opportunity, but they're gonna know that, you know what, they got this freshman binom coming in, Michael Brown Junior, and they've added three guards in the portal that clearly they prioritize more so than me. So these names, and I don't even have one to give you off the top, but like, there's certain names out there that end up being names you're learning about, like when they commit because they're just not you know, they're not being pursued by everybody else. But those end up being really difficult to get, believe it or not, and they become very valuable. So I wish I had answers for you. But as it stands right now, Louisville still looks like they've got a roster that should be considered you know, they should be one of the top ten teams in the country next year, which is exciting to say. We'll see if it happens. Talking about it in April doesn't mean it's going to play out that way, but a good position to be in and who knows. Maybe if they add more players, which they certainly will, maybe if it's certain guys, they could jump up even more.
Speaker 3: All let's do this. Let's get to a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll try to keep this thing on track to where we have as much time as possible before we get out of here.
Speaker 3: So stick with us.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: So as we get closer to the NFL Draft, you'll continue to hear people referencing some of the biggest bus that have taken place over the years.
Speaker 3: And I think I have a.
Speaker 2: Different opinion than a lot of people when it comes to what makes a draft bust, because, like, for example, when you bring up in basketball the biggest NBA draft bust, a lot of people will mention Greg Odin And I'm not surprised by that. But he got hurt. He didn't plan, he didn't pan out to be terrible, He had career ending injuries and it ruined his career and he you know, couldn't play anymore. Yeah, technically, I guess you know your pick was a bust because it didn't work out. But injuries were the reason he didn't play. It wasn't if it wasn't as if you evaluated a guy and you were wrong about his talent. Now, I guess you were wrong about the sustainability of somebody with that kind of frame and whatnot.
Speaker 3: But I just feel like that's so obviously a different thing.
Speaker 2: But I guess I'm in the minority because I don't think other people see it that way. Like, let me give you another example actually before we do that, when it comes to the biggest NBA draft bust of all time, I I don't. I think this guy is so forgettable and had such a little and I mean little impact or even really involvement. Impact would be he didn't have any impact in the NBA at all, but he had very little involvement that he's so easy to forget. But to me, he is without question the biggest draft bust of any draft, any sport, any level, anytime.
Speaker 3: And that's Anthony Bennett. I mean Anthony Bennett.
Speaker 2: I remember was at UNLV and played one season, went number one overall to the Calves, and I mean he was out of the NBA all together.
Speaker 3: Within two years.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's crazy, right, And it wasn't like he was getting in trouble. It wasn't as if like he was a you know some guys. It's both like JaMarcus Russell wasn't nearly as good as anybody thought he was going to be, but he also did stupid stuff like not reading the playbook. This guy just wasn't good enough to play in the NBA at all, and the Calves drafted him number one overall, and then Braun wanted to come back. Therefore it turned into where, you know, quickly, you just forget he existed. But to me, that is the biggest bust, because he was taken as the number one pick overall and he could not play at.
Speaker 3: All in the league. Taken as a reach too.
Speaker 2: He was the first guy I can ever remember being taken early in the draft and not being able to hide how shocked he was that he got drafted, you know what I mean, Like it was. I mean, he was there in attendance and he walked up and that was a really bad draft, by the way. And here's here's another thing that like that that I don't think is fair for certain guys to be listed as as a as busts. So like Jadavian Clowney, he was the number one pick overall, and I would say that he has not been as good as people thought he was based off the hype that he had because he had.
Speaker 3: A ton of hype. Yeah, that tackle.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's still he's still in the NFL at least he was as of last year with the Panthers. But he's he's made Pro Bowls three he made he's actually a three time Pro Bowl guy. He's second team All NFL in twenty sixteen. I mean he's been a very I mean, he's been a good NFL player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd say so. He's been only ten years.
Speaker 2: So like, I don't you know, if you can be an All Pro and you've played over a decade, you're not a bust. You you maybe didn't live up to what the hype was. But that that's a different conversation than being a bust.
Speaker 1: You agree.
Speaker 4: He wasn't Lawrence Taylor or anything, but he was a serviceable guy when you needed an ed drusher y.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's he's he's a guy that I just don't understand how people put him in the bust category, and yet and yet they do. And here's another here's why they do that, and it's another reason why. I just you know, to me, it's just my opinion and clearly doesn't mean much of anything because I'm in the minority. A lot of people view this differently. But if you look at the twenty fourteen NFL draft, yeah, there's better players that came after him because he was number one. I mean, that wasn't a great draft, but you had Khalil mack co number five, Mike Evans went number seven. Oh yeah, I mean Odell Beckham number twelve, twelve, Aaron Donald number thirteen, which is kind of crazy. So look, those guys are better, without question. I've had better careers, but that doesn't make him a bust. Somebody going after you and being really good doesn't mean in any way that you are a bust. I mean, at least in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yes, again, a.
Speaker 2: Bust is a guy like man because bust is extreme being. There's no good way to be called a bust, and it just gets thrown around loosely. And it also gets thrown around because of like Jannisante Tokupo was the best player in the twenty and thirteen draft that we just referenced. Well, like, if that's the case, everybody was a bust who going ahead of him? Now again clearly the number one picking that draft, Bennett we just discussed.
Speaker 3: That's that's big time bust.
Speaker 2: And since we're talking about all time bust, another name that comes in the conversation Purvis Ellison. I'll defend him. He was the number one pick in the draft. And obviously, you know, he didn't ever play like a guy that you looked like that you know, that looked like somebody worthy of being the number one player taken. But he also played in the NBA for well over a decade and was you know, productive up until you know, his last few years. And he had a season in nineteen ninety two where he averaged twenty points in twelve rebounds. I mean, he was most improved player in ninety two. Again, he played over ten years, So yeah, he didn't necessarily play like a guy that you know, you would have ever thought would be worthy of being taken as the number one pick in the draft. But like, if you play a decade in the NBA, I just think it's insanity to say that that person is a bust. You know, hardest to play in the NBA, you know, hard itest to do for ten years.
Speaker 3: Like that's crazy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's other players that went after him that that you know ended up having better careers, but you know not. I mean, I'm looking here at the nineteen eighty nine draft when Purvis went number one, Danny Ferry went number two, Shawn Elliott number three, Glenn Rice number four, Jr. Reid number five, Like all these guys good players, trust me, I know that, but I don't. I mean, and again, a lot of these guys that is referenced were better than purpose, but not really by that much. I mean, they had better careers, more memorable. And it's unfortunate because when you go number one, even if you play ten years. In fact, the longer you stick around, the more people are reminded that you were the number one pick and that you're a bust. Like it's just that'll probably never change. That's just what comes with being the number one pick in a draft. But if you think about it, the standard is so high for NBA and NFL draft picks. They go number one, how many do we sit back and say, yeah, that guy he was worthy of the number one pick. Like sometimes you got guys, they go number one based off of a specific team's need, and the team would probably tell you behind closed doors, Yeah, if we didn't, you know, we needed this position, the next seven picks don't. Therefore, yeah, we get it. He probably would go number eight, but we need him and we need it bad. We need somebody to you know, protect our quarterback on the offensive line, that kind of stuff. But when it comes to worst NFL draft picks of all time that went, you know, I mean you're gonna hear names that obviously, like JaMarcus Russell is certainly up there.
Speaker 3: Who well, let me see if I Yeah, so here's some name like Ryan Leaf.
Speaker 2: That's a big one obviously, and it's because obviously he went before Peyton Manning, didn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a caller that referenced Tim Couch right now as a bust.
Speaker 2: Yes, again, I get it, but I think going back to a conversation we had earlier, Austin he was set up for failure in Cleveland like he would he would have been, And I mean, who will never know, right, it's the ultimate unknown. But like I don't know what quarterback could have gone into Cleveland when Tim Couch did, that would have made them much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll defend him on that. Yeah, I mean that's just that, and that's so obvious.
Speaker 2: Yet it just doesn't get Maybe it's just the jealousy of a lot of people like you know, average Joe's like myself that like.
Speaker 3: Oh I got stunk.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, do you know many other Like there's certain dudes who, Yes, there are certain dudes whose careers have literally been defined by timing and they went to a team that no matter, like no matter you could you could take. This is something Again, I just wish more people would consider this. There are teams out there right now that are awful, that are you know, that are gonna draft a quarterback maybe or you know, in a previous year's draft they're terrible and.
Speaker 3: They know they got to go pick a quarterback.
Speaker 2: You could take a quarterback that's believed to be maybe one of the top twelve thirteen in the league. In that range, you put that quarterback that's played in the league, that's got a starting spot, that clearly is having some success because they're continuing. They're believed to be a top fifteen quarterback. You put that guy in the same spot that you're putting a rookie quarterback. I bet there's not that much of a difference because some of these franchises and ownership they're inept, like it's not the player, it's the system. It's it's And that's not to say these guys would be elite had they gone elsewhere, but like, good luck making it work if you're drafted by the Jaguars, right, like, it's just you know, it's how it is. Or the Jets, yeah, I mean, or the Browns like that. And again it's not like a one off. It's been like routine. You go to certain places at quarterback, you're gonna be screwed, like the Browns. I mean, if the Browns ever successfully got it right at quarterback on draft night. No, in fact, I think the one time they did, they they ended up letting a diva receiver come in and create a toxic situation and that let Baker Mayfield kind of get a fresh start. And Baker's not elite, but he's better than any quarterback they've had in a long time.
Speaker 3: Quarterback, Yeah, you could win with him. He's a winner.
Speaker 2: And then you know, they brought in beck Odell Beckham and he starts, you know, complaining about Baker and not getting touches, and yeah, created a toxic situation, so they decided to part ways with him. And you know, in all aspects, Breaker Mayfield, that's some of the best, you know, his story overall, from from beginning to now. I mean he could in now and he would have I think, something you'd see in a movie. I mean maybe not because of like you know, he hadn't had that big ultimate NFL moment, but I mean him getting a fresh start and winning and getting Tampa to the playoffs both years of as their starter after being you know, basically written off. I mean, that's a good story. So same thing with Sam Donald and Geno Smith, Like you get drafted to the Jets, Please Sam Donald, save our franchise, Please Geno Smith, save our franchise, and just get thrown out their day one and and and they're they're set up for failure.
Speaker 4: But now they just go to different organizations. It's going to be able to pamper to them and they actually have winning cultures. Like I know, the Vikings have never won a Super Bowl, but they're far, far, far from a dumpster fire. Team Seahawks have obviously been to Super Bowl one one, and they're just structurally more contained than any of the other ones that we just previously mentioned. So you could put a quarterback like there that was once a part of the land of the Dying quarterbacks. And I think the next one is people are looking at is the Max Wilson kid, because he's on free agency right now. Wilson, Zach Wilson, I say, Max Wilson, Yeah, Sach Wilson, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's somebody that Again it's the Jets, right, I mean, yes, So I just put it so the worst quarterback's biggest busts, I should say as far as guy's taken really early, I mean to Marcus Russell's is going to always be number one hit, eighteen touchdowns, twenty three interceptions. I mean, he was out of the league in three seasons. Couch I did forget this. He had injuries as well. That was a big factor. But again with even when healthy, and here's what's crazy, maybe he's somebody also that we throw in there as Okay, yeah he's a bust, but man, he was injuries.
Speaker 3: He so listen to this.
Speaker 2: Again, these are not impressive numbers. He was drafted by the Browns in nineteen ninety nine. He went twenty three and thirty seven as a starter, never played again after two thousand and three. I mean, there's no way to say that that's good and that's a good, you know, rundown of his career. But like the Browns were expansion at the time and they were brand new. Yeah, and you know, I just feel like if you look at him overall, nobody would say, yeah, thek I was a good quarterback, but you have to consider where he like the situation. Yeah, more than just that he wasn't good? Are David Carr? He's easy to forget because he was on the He was the guy drafted by the expansion Texans, So like that's just a blur of an arrow when they started and the Texans launched.
Speaker 3: But he was bad.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then this is one that I remember in real time thinking like, dude, this guy he kind of stinks, and yet he keeps getting opportunities and he keeps like he's still living off the hype he had early on in college with Sam Bradford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mean, he was taken. Was he number one? I think he was. He was a Heisman winner.
Speaker 4: I mean he he was, and he obviously is the guy. Would I would attribute his to more injuries he for what? For whatever reason? Was he ever good though?
Speaker 3: In the NFL. I don't really remember him ever.
Speaker 4: Like he had a short step with the Vikings that were undefeated for six and then it then then then it kind of fell off. But they had drafted they had traded their number one pick the Vikings. This was when right after Teddy Bridgewater shredded his knee in practice, literally two weeks before the season, and the Vikings felt like they had a pretty decent roster go ahead and compete because they were about to hand the keys of the city over to Teddy Bridgewater.
Speaker 3: But they needed a panic really bad.
Speaker 4: So they went out and got Sam Bradford started six and oh that year and thought that he did really well and then it kind of fell off. Then the very next year he has a best career. He has the best game of his career Monday Night Football against the Saints, absolutely torches him and then didn't play for the next two weeks. Turns out that his knee was shredded and that's where case Keenum came in and led him through that magic.
Speaker 3: Carpet, right.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong, but I don't think it was maybe because of him, but he's just the guy that comes to mind for a lot of people, including myself, that he got there. You know, those rookie contracts used to have so much money on him to where like the NFL Players Association fought and they got it changed where you can't have so much of the roster salary cap allotted to a guy that's trapped it, you know what I mean, Like he's one of the I think he's the last quarterback that got paid an insane amount of money based off his rookie deal and like he never really did anything to like, you know, never did anything with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it never led up to the XBC because he was throwing four or five hundred yards a game.
Speaker 2: I just remember watching him in the NFL multiple times and realizing, like, all, all I haven't heard about this guy is that he's he's the guy, he's the future, he's this, you know, he's he's great. And I never watched him and felt like he was average, Like I thought he's stunk. But again, you know, I probably didn't watch closely, and you know, maybe I maybe maybe maybe it was.
Speaker 3: More injury related.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe if I remember right his his I think he won the Heisman as junior season. Then there's tons of hype around him that very next year, and I think he I think he tore his kyler bone like the first the first game of the season.
Speaker 2: He may have been out the rest of the year. I think one that don't quote. Do you remember Josh Rosen. He's got to be in a conversation right because he taken over Lamar. He was taken with the tenth pick in the twenty eighteen draft, and was he was. He was one of the first guys I remember, like he came right out of college, right out of high school, I should say, at UCLA as a freshman and really was just I mean, you could you know he was the California.
Speaker 3: Quarterback everybody was raving about. He had everything you need.
Speaker 2: He had the size at you know, at six four, two hundred and fifteen pounds, great arm. Was just bred to be a quarterback. His whole life showed signs of that very much so in his freshman year at UCLA and then it kind of went down from there, like he it kind of feel like his best season might have been his freshman season. But then he gets drafted, and I thought, maybe it's just because I was, you know, it had been force fed into our minds that this guy was the future. I thought he had a chance to be pretty good. He he played for the Cardinals one season and started it looks like thirteen games. He went three and ten as a quarterback. Then he ended up at Miami and played in three games and or started three games, lost all three of them, and then he never played again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he only played two three season, so he only really played one season. Yeah too, I guess because in Miami he did play nine games but only started three. And then after that he was with the Niners briefly in twenty twenty didn't play, and then with the Falcons he was there for four games in twenty twenty one, but he never pl light. So, I mean, that's a guy that's easy to forget. But you're talking about a guy that was taken with the tenth pick. Who drafted him, by the way, was it the Cardinals?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Josh Rosen, Yeah, the Cardinals, And then it was very the very next year drafted Kyler.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, And that's that's something you didn't used to see a team willing to just walk away from a huge investment, and you know like that, Like, let me give you an example, and I'm gonna tie to my Colts. If the Colts came out and walked away from Anthony Richardson, it would be big news.
Speaker 3: It would be, you know, be a big piece of news.
Speaker 2: But who would ultimately say that, Like they're like if they traded up, and this isn't a good year to do it, but like if there was, when's the last time you think we had like all the quarterback that everybody felt like, there's no doubt this guy is not going to be great. I can't think of him the last time we had one. Because nowadays, no matter how highly regarded they are, there's a there's a part of this process that they get torn down.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I believe Burrow you put Let's say.
Speaker 2: Let's say Burrow is there and the Colts, after two years of Richardson, they trade up to get Burrow and either cut Richardson or trade him or whatever it may be, Like nobody'd be surprised, right, Like, this is what makes me mad about the Colts is that they're they're living and they're living in La la land that this guy's gonna learn on the job and be successful. There's some jobs you can you know, you can learn on the go and pick it up. Not NFL quarterback. Yeah, guy's never been a winner at any level as a quarterback. He's all. He's only there because they're talking about. Oh he's got this cannon for an arm, and he's so fast, he's built like a mack truck. Can he throw the football to his teammates and move the ball downfield? Can he play without getting hurt? Can't do any of those things? Last that checked pretty important in that position. But I'm just a sad Colts fan. All right, quick break, We'll come back and wrap it up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: So finally, at least somebody's planning the situation. Ian Shaiflin is one of the many guys that have hit the portal, but no eligibility left, but just seeing what happens.
Speaker 3: He can read the room.
Speaker 2: He understands, you know, he has some ability to you know, again, read the room like see what this looks like. Understand optics, he says, while I'm putting my options, I said, while I'm pursuing options on the professional level, I've been advised due to depending instead of a case is to enter the portal on the very outside chance more.
Speaker 3: Eligibility is allowed. That's at least an explanation.
Speaker 2: And that's you know, that makes sense, and I imagine that's what a lot of these guys are doing.
Speaker 3: But and there's no harm in it.
Speaker 2: It's just it would be sad if they like are doing it because they're just trying so desperately to avoid starting life after, you know, basketball.
Speaker 3: But anyways, let me.
Speaker 2: Tell you Littal Coo before we get out here about the Uvver Men's Clinic. You guys have heart me talk about him for a long time now, and I don't have any plans on stopping that because they've been very, very impactful at helping me become happier and healthier. Didn't even realize that what I thought was just getting older was the fact that I had low testosterone and I was educate aid by doctor Wood. As far as just that it is a thing that happens to many men that are in their thirties, even some in the twenties that you just start to not you no longer produce the same levels of testosterone to where your levels no longer are in the range for your age. And that's why, you know, instead of feeling, you know, like a you may think you know thirty five, it'll feel like fifty to you. That's why for me, I went years without really knowing that. And now for the last year and a half, I've I've been treating that and my testosteron levels where they need to be, and I feel younger now than I did for a good stretch in my thirties, so you know, and I'm still in my thirties, by the way. But I can't recommend them enough. It's louis of mens Clinic. Check them out online level Men's Clinic dot com. Give McCall five but two four four four four thousand, un tell them we sent you. It's not just low T it's also rectatus function, Perne's disease, hair restoration, weight loss therapy.
Speaker 3: They can help you become happier and healthier again. The Louisville Men's Clinic. I don't know why I.
Speaker 2: Say that's so fast, but you got any bets for tonight?
Speaker 3: Of course, let's know what you cook up. I got.
Speaker 4: I got Oganaobi twenty points and Josh Hart to have ten rebounds.
Speaker 3: I think I think they came out the border one. He's a big he's a big rebounding guard, that's for sure. Dude. I need it. I'm I want. I'm on a heater.
Speaker 2: We need I mad tail just to have fun because I need some action, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's a high scoring game, especially like with those two teams right there, so it should be it should it should be fun.
Speaker 3: Let's ride.
Speaker 2: All right, We're right here, you guys, enjoy your evening. Back at it tomorrow, right here on Sports Talk seven ninety