Speaker 1: You're listening to WGSNDB Go and Solo Network Singles talk radio channel, where we take a lighthearted and candidate approach to discussions on the journey of relationship, laws, divorce, parenting, being single, relationships, building, dating, and yes sex. Join our listeners and begin living your best life.
Speaker 2: So hello and welcome to our show here on WGSNDB, The Going Bold and Going Solo Networks. This episode of The Awakening Podcast may contain frank discussions on sensitive topics, including abuse and sex trafficking. Content may not be suitable for young children and could be triggering for some listeners. We cover explicit details to provide comprehensive understanding of these important issues. The information and the opinions that are expressed on this show are the personal views of the individual speaking based on their own experiences. They are not intended to diagnose or provide professional advice or recommendations. Listener discretion is advised. So my guest today is Michelle Ferris. Michelle is a psychotherapist, codependency expert, and anger management specialist with a passion for helping people break free from toxic relationships. Michelle's YouTube channel has over three million viewers. Where she's known for her practical tips and expertise. She's written several ebooks and courses for creating relationships at work. I kind of lost my place where I was at. Michelle can often be found with a Vente latte sitting right next to her desk as she works on her next course. So welcome and thank you for joining me here today, Michelle.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me, Tina. I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Very good. I pushed my little clock and it didn't push. I pushed the wrong button. So here we go. So we're talking today on specific topics. So I'm just going to turn that over to you. So tell me your story.
Speaker 3: Sure. So I always knew I was codependent, and that's part of why I became a therapist. And at twenty one I started going into twelve step programs around my food addiction. And oh about seven years later, I realized I was super codependent and literally I would do backflips to get in relationships with women like friendships. I was always looking for that next person. I would pay for them. I would be the one doing most of the calling. I really was super needy, and I got into recovery and I found and I don't know, you probably agree, but you know, back in the late eighties, there wasn't a I mean, there was a lot going on in the recovery field, but there wasn't a lot of specific like in codependency recovery do this, And so I was kind of lost and had to find my way and I finally felt like, okay, I was doing allen on. I started doing it in my practice because I really find that most people have some traits that can be really problematic. And about ten years ago, I had a friendship crash and burned totally out of the blue, and it made me hit another bottom and I realized, holy crap, I got addicted to somebody again. And it was actually the best thing that ever happened in my recovery because it made me realize what my missing piece was, which isn't really talked about much, which is the relationship you have with yourself, not just self esteem. Right. I mean, sure we all need help with that, but like the root of codependency is forming unhealthy dependencies, in putting someone else's needs above our own because we want their love and approval and don't have any other way to get it. So This can be, of course, super problematic because you're probably attracting alcoholics, narcissists, people who are more self centered because we're self less, so it ends up becoming sort of a perfect dysfunctional match.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know, I work with a lot of my clients that are not just codependent, but they're they've got a toxic relationship. They'll leave, yeah, get a people of breasthts in, and then they go back in for more and so interesting enough that you say that you were in AA type of work, because that's exactly how I explain to my clients what needs to be done. They need to to get a sponsor. They need like three sponsors so that when they're crazy, that that right person that they can call somebody else and say, hey, yep, I'm really wanting to go back to them or whatever that looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think there's so much shame attached to our dependency issues that we tend not to want to talk about it, and so we just immediately revert back. Because a lot of people in codependency are people addicts, their relationship addicts, so they don't really see themselves as being able to survive successfully by themselves and that's the tipping point. Like for me, I didn't do it in my romantic relationships as much as I did with my female friends, but I had to get to the point where I realized, oh my god, like, I can't put that other person ahead of my own myself, right, I have to have a solid foundation. And this was after twenty years of recovery. So you know, codependency is very humble and it's not something to be taken lightly.
Speaker 2: No, until we're talking. I mean even when we talked the first time, I didn't realize that we talked about the codependency, that your codependency was on friendship. Yeah, and as I'm listening to you talk, I don't feel at all that I have that part in my life. But I definitely have a codependency for having somebody to be with me, not necessarily romantically, but it usually ends up that way. And I see that with having my divorce twenty three years ago and the men the long term relationships that I had, and I would bounce from one and go to another, and bounce from that and go to another, and then here my husband died, and shortly after that I wanted a roommate, I wanted somebody that was here to like a talk, and.
Speaker 3: It was just crazy, right well, yeah, because it's really and sorry for your loss, because that is really, really hard, and yet when you add codepenancy to it, it feels like you're going to fall apart without having that other person. And that's where you know, looking at our relationships and assessing whether or not they're healthy can be a challenging.
Speaker 2: Process, definitely. And I would say that my roommate and my relationship is probably not a healthy one because I took over the household needs that he and it is a he would want. I do the laundry, I do most of the cooking, you know, And for me, that's what I felt I needed for me because if I wasn't doing it for somebody else, I definitely wasn't doing it for me. And what was I mean for me? I said on the couch with what a six pack or twelve pack of beer? And that's not healthy on any level, right right?
Speaker 3: Well, And you bring up a good point because a lot of people who are in codependency recovery have addiction issues where we might have beer, wine, junk food, you know, things like that. Because we don't want to feel our feelings because there's so much pain in abandonment there because we usually people who are codependent become that way in their childhood because their needs weren't met, they weren't validated as kids. So instead of mom, you know, my sister is hitting me, Mom isn't going to say, oh my god, I'm going to handle that. Mom's going to say deal with it on your own, or you're being too sensitive, so you're not going to get that validation that your reality is true. And that really messes us up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can. You know, I look back over not so much my childhood but my coing skills with my kids and I recently, I don't know, maybe it was just because I knew we were going to be talking about codependency, but I looked back over my relationships early on, like right out of high school. I was a very strong female right at that point. I was going in flying places all by myself and doing things. And I come from a farm where that just wasn't the normal thing to do. And I went all over the US for a little while after I graduated, because I had school, I went and got married, I flew across to Germany, lived in Germany, and I was doing all of those things. And then later after I divorced or being in that abuse of relationship is when that codependency part kicked in. And I even noticed it in my late husbands in mys relationship where I would ask, so, where do you want to eat? And I was never going to tell him where I wanted to eat. It always had to do with where he wanted to eat. And so finally I said, Okay, this is the way we'll do it. I'll ask what, you tell me what, and I'll say where, or we'd switch it back and forth.
Speaker 3: Uh huh oh that's clever. Yeah, well, that's a lot of codependency recovery is learning to get in touch with your wants, your needs without feeling guilty about them.
Speaker 2: M I have a course that I work with with my clients after the divorce that's called here First. And I don't recommend that they if they want to start dating, I don't recommend that they date for at least six months, you know, not even get out there. And then we go out on dates with ourself, you know, need at a restaurant alone. Because these are the things I.
Speaker 3: Asked with yes, totally those Yeah, I totally agree. I think most people if they took six months to year to not date, to grieve the relationship, to work out what's unfinished, because let's face it, even in a year, you're not going to do it all, but at least you're gonna hopefully get back to center after doing that amount of grief work. And I think a lot of people don't do that, especially when you're codependant. You just glob on to the next person, hoping to get the love you can't give to yourself, which is why it's really hard to stop this pattern because we don't see a need to be alone and the value of that. And I didn't either until my friend ghosted me, and then I realized, holy crap, I have got to be okay in my own skin, truly, and it changed everything for me because now, like if I've noticed, I've started a few friendships in the last few years, and a few of them have fallen away because that's normal and natural. You're not going to necessarily have everyone forever. And I'm totally okay with it because I don't rely anymore on that other person to feed me emotionally. It's more like, yeah, you know what, this is part of life. Some friends are going to come and go, and that's okay. But when we overly attach ourselves, thinking we can't live without this person, whether it's you know, your mother, your boyfriend, your husband, your friend, your coworker, whoever, that your child, your adult child. I mean a lot of people are codependent with their adult children. But that's really the secret of codependency recovery is to really be able to have that centeredness within yourself so that you can choose a relationship not feel compelled to stay in one, no matter how unhealthy it is.
Speaker 2: Right, it took me a long time to even allow friendships in with different totally opposite from what you're saying. I had friends, I just didn't call them friends. They were acquaintances to me, huh, And I kept them at arm's length. And I don't know why. Listening to you talk, I'm like, the only thing I can think of is back in high school, middle school, there was a situation in one of the girls that was considered my best friends totally ghosted me then, and she refuses to talk to any of us from our class. Oh so that is a her thing that wasn't a me thing, but it's the only thing I can as I am to you talk that I can connect that with well.
Speaker 3: And that's really disconcerting because when somebody leaves without saying a word, even when it's a childhood friendship right or relationship, it can be so shocking to us because as teens, our friends are everything. Can you hear my dog?
Speaker 2: No? I can't. I can't. Oh good, doing good? So yes, And I don't think that I really you know, this incident was is that I took alcohol to school and to make friends, and and then I turned to all the girls that had a sip of it in and so nobody talked to me for that next year. And this one girl just totally she she's like I said, she goes to the whole school. Yeah, nobody, even her family says. She doesn't talk much, if at all to them.
Speaker 3: HU.
Speaker 2: So it's just kind of interesting. But yet my kindergarten best friend is still in my life. We're still best friends and love and all the friends that I've made basically since then, all of the friendships have stayed it except for one that I am so okay with him taking his own place in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Well that's part of recovery too, is really continuing to assess, you know, is this relationship working is it not? Are you doing eighty percent of the work right, because that's always a telltale sign of a codependent relationship where you're doing all the texting, you're doing all the helping, supporting, but when you need something, they're nowhere to be found or they're very you know, there may they may have some willingness, but they're now used to the relationship being more about serving their needs than being mutually satisfying.
Speaker 2: M And I go back to one friend that I did have in high school, and she was when I called a friend, but it was her brother who was really my best friend. And she was just like that, in order to have her friendship, you had to do all the work, yeah, to the point that she wanted to go out, and her mom would say, well, you have to do you have to finish the laundry or whatever. So she didn't put you over what why you did that?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 2: She would say, I'm busy with I'm busy with some homework. If you'll do that for me, and I will back over that And she has no friend, she has no friends, you know, and so and in my world, I did a lot of work with my friends, but I also expected some of that and I've been in the space I'm like, Okay, I've paid for dinner the last three time. Yeah. Yeah, and now this one is love it all on you?
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. Well see, that's what most codependent people don't do, is they won't speak up. They will feel that hurt I'm paying right, and then they'll hope the other person notices, and then they just wait and wait and wait, and then that resentment gets worse and worse over time because we're not honest with how we feel. And I get it. I mean I used to stuff my feelings too, especially anger. But what you're doing is exactly what I would have people do. Is you know what, this isn't working for me? You know? Can you let's take turns? You know, because if the other person flips out about that, that's a really good sign, because yes, it's a bummer, but they're telling you exactly who they are if they cannot give to you in any real way, or they feel threatened by you calling them on their behavior because maybe they're gaslighting you or maybe they're not treating you. Well, that's really important information that we have to assess and decide what do we want at this point, because those are toxic behaviors that we really need to pay attention to.
Speaker 2: Yes, because now we're coming into my field. That's the vercissistic abuser right there.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And when when you were talking, you know, we go back and forth about this who's paying thing? When they just use you and use you, then they're obviously that abusive and you speaking up isn't going to make a difference, right you speaking up will probably make them ghost you or leave you in the dust somewhere, which is a gift for right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I totally agree. But you know, there are ways you can detach and take better care of yourself, but you need a support system because getting out of a toxic relationship by yourself without any resources is really really really hard, too hard for people to want to get it.
Speaker 2: I would say it's almost impossible. I agree that could do that. It's less than one percent.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, and that's why you do the work you do. I do the work I do because people need support to say, you know what, I got to transfer that dependency and use it in a more constructive way by focusing on our growth.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So let's talk more about your dependency and when you realized it was an issue.
Speaker 3: So well, I always sort of in the background of my life, even as a kid. I knew it was an issue, but with the friendship, I didn't realize it till after the friendship ended, and then I had to go back. And one of the things I caught, which was super important, was one of the first things she said that I didn't register was I don't like a lot of regular contact with people. And I was like, huh. So the one thing I did with that is that I made sure that I called her. She called me, so it was pretty even Stephen, But she said that, and I never did anything with it. And fast forward to the end of the friendship. She really didn't want as much contacts as she was actually doing. And that's the red flag we get early on that could if I would have went back and said, Okay, great, what does that look like to you, And if she would have said, oh, once or twice a month, boom, I would have been like cool, great, I would have totally done that. I had enough recovery at that point to do it. But I didn't. I didn't want to go there. I was hoping that because she kept calling me a couple times a week, it was okay, hey, and you know, at face value, I couldn't have known any different. But I think people tell us early on who they are. We just need to pay.
Speaker 2: Attention, right right. I have two girlfriends, and I'm I'm one that doesn't like talking on the phone with a friend every day. Yeah, And so I have this one girl that and she's one of my best friends, and she wants or has in the past, wanted to talk every single day, every single It was just it was a lot to the point that I would like, oh, I have, you know, silenced the calls because I'm like, I'm super busy. I need to get this project done before I talk to anybody anyway. And then I have another friend who's who's more like what you say, you were doing all the work in our relationship. I've had to diller to stop. You are doing too much in this relationship for you. I mean, it feels wonderful for me, but I'm not able to reciprocate.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, because it's too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she doesn't want to talk. We do talk once a week generally, as long as I've got free time at a set time that we have for every week. And it's about supporting each other. And that's why the friendship works.
Speaker 3: Right right well, and you're speaking up, and that's where if somebody is in a relationship, like if a listener right now is in a relationship with someone who's codependent, one thing you can do is speak up about it. But you also have to remember that when we call the codependent out and say, you know, I notice these things that you're doing, they may not have a good reaction. They may get super heard, they may feel like you're attacking them. But again, if they don't come back and say, hmm, you know what, let me think about that, then that's a warning sign that they may not be ready to change. And that's okay, but then you're a choice for what you do next.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And a good example, as you're talking, I'm seeing this and I'm I don't. I can't say his name, so we're maybe yes, you can get it. But it's on the big Bang theory, it is the one young man that's living with his mother that is definitely a codependent relationship from the mother to the son and the son to the mother.
Speaker 3: Okay, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's they live together and there are adults, and she won't let him like he in this last set last show, he was he gets a chance to go to the space station and she let him. She's refusing to allow him to go to the space station, you know, and here he is. He's like in his early thirties or so. Oh no, yes, and it's like but as you're talking, that's definitely and it's like as last name as like horror Witz or something like that. Okay, yeah, it's just as you're talking, that is definitely really loud. So for those of you watching that, you scratch your head and go, I don't know anybody like that. That show and his relationship with his mom definitely show that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and that's really common. I mean a lot of adult kids and their moms especially, there can be some codependent tendencies, especially when the mom looks to their kid for validation for you know, I'm a good mom, I'm a good person. This is what I did with my life, and you know, I think every mom has a little of that, But it's really dicey when we look to our child for our self esteem, because it never works. It always creates an undue burden on the child and they pick up on that and they don't know what to do with it, and sometimes they don't even have words for it because if they're young, right, they don't know what's happening. Know, it doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I see that in my work as a co parent co parenting coach, is that I see that codependency where they're dependent on the abusive parent because the abusive parent has convinced them, has gas lit them to thinking one that the other parent is worthless and not good, or any other series of bad things, but now has them convinced of whatever they I'm the best or as the child, you need me or else kind of stuff. And I see a lot of that type of codependency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it sounds like what you're also talking about is parental alienation.
Speaker 2: Parental alienation, but a lot of it happens within the home, and it's even before the divorce happens. And it's, as you say, because I speak up because the other parent is so submissive, they don't speak up and eventually, especially if it's a son and a mother and the dad is the abusive one, it'll get to the point that the son is verbally in some cases physically abusive with the mother. She has never spoke up.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and if the dad has any issues of unhealthy anger rage, then the boy learns that and then turns that towards the mother, which, yeah, that's those are very sad.
Speaker 2: Cases and other women as they date, so then they become a narcissistic, abusive person. So in talking about this, what do you feel is the biggest misconception of codependency?
Speaker 3: So I think the biggest misconception is that it's about fixing your relationship, when really it's it's not. It's really about turning that focus back onto yourself and healing yourself because when you do that, your relationships are naturally going to get better. But that was one of the mistakes I made and a lot of my clients made early on, is if they come to me and go, I just need my marriage to be better, so they think the relationship is the problem, not the patterns they're contributing into it. And that's where the real work is. Because if we can realize Hey, you know what, Yes we're super nice people, Yes we're supergivers, but we have culpability in that we have behavior patterns that are literally setting us up to have one sided relationships. And that's where the gold is is to be able to go, Okay, how can I stop focusing on fixing the relationship and start focusing on fixing myself?
Speaker 2: Yes? And and as you're talking, I'm seeing a picture of the way we are. And I'm gonna say wife because I was a wife. So we are picking up their socks or underwear, we're fixing dinner, we're doing all this stuff. And at first it's just what we think we need to do, because that's what we learn from our mothers, right, And then we get down the road and we have this animosity because man, and they're always leaving their stuff on the floor. And why are they always leaving their stuff on the floor because we always pick it up. We never got And we we then start fights about the underwear and we don't even know what the fight really is, right, and definitely they don't.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because culturally, you know, there's still a lot around women taking care of the home, women being considered the prime I'm mary caregiver. The men help out with the kids. I mean, it's crap, but there's still an element of that. And I think that a lot of women like my age and your age. I'm fifty nine, and when your husband retires, then you have a whole new ball game. And sometimes that's what brings it out because you realize, wow, he's home all day and I'm still doing this stuff, like the roles never change, or now you're an empty nester, right, and yes, maybe you're both still working, but she's still doing predominantly all the housework and he gets to go golfing, you know whatever that looks like. So it's really important to kind of renegotiate that and own it as a woman. I mean, I've had to do this with my husband where I'm like, you know what, I realize, I've sort of set this up because I'm a caregiver and I cook and clean and do all that stuff. But now I want a little bit less, like I want this to not be eighty twenty so much. And that's recovery when you can bring it up and say, you know, I'm going to own it instead of saying, instead of blaming my husband for it right to say, oh my god, he's never offering No, I set it up. I absolutely set it up that way. But owning that can be really helpful in how you approach the other person because then they don't feel attacked and they're realizing, oh, wow, you kind of did set me up for that. But that accountability helps them want to hear you because they're not being tagged for it. It's more of a accountability conversation, which can be super healthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I know that, and I have learned in as i've aged that I needed to speak up that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I tell young women when they're getting married, you know, don't start doing everything for them. Start as a team and then figure out what you I'd rather do and you would rather them do, and kind of separate it out that way. But start as a team, because you start picking up the underwear today and you're still from today, right.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the hard part when we're young, is we just don't have that awareness, so we go back to the default of what we learned growing up or what we wish we had growing up. And I love that you're saying that, because it's true. It's like, if you can start off negotiating and saying, hey, let's create this together, because if they flip out again, that's super important information. Find out now before you put the ring on they if they're not willing or they absolutely want you to do everything with the home and kids. You know what. Some couples are okay with that, but you got to bring that out so that each person can really agree and be honest about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and some people say they're okay with that, and they're really not because they didn't speak up. And it's all about that speaking up. And I have so many people he supported her through college or vice versa. Usually it's her supporting him through college, and now he won't get a real job. He still wants to go to college. And here it's been fifteen years and she's a nurse putting him through college.
Speaker 3: Still fifteen years right, Yeah, that's really rough because then you're always stuck in that giving role.
Speaker 2: Again. Start with it, fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Start if you can.
Speaker 2: I tell women this all the time. And my boys married very strong women. And I said, she needs to have a job, not because of the fact that you don't need to produce all the money and the income. Having a job will help her, it will make her better as a person, and if you would to die, she will have the ability to tend to her yourself. That's you know here I am, and of course I have owned my own business for lots of years, but it's that ability to work for ourselves that's so important. So, Michelle, what do you hope that somebody that is a codependent person? What do you hope that they get out of this conversation?
Speaker 3: So there is a roadmap. You can absolutely do your codependency with a roadmap, because for me that was super frustrating. And for me, it's three things. It's the first part is befriending yourself. That's where you're looking at your self care, your ability to trust, your intuition, your relationship or lack of with yourself. Then you want to assess and heal your relationships. That's the other bucket. Like you may know right now that there's certain relationships that are not working for you and that's part of recovery and we revisit that over and over. And then the last boocket is our family of origin issues and that's when you really do need a therapist or coach to preferably a therapist to walk you through that, because there's often trauma attached that you really need to process. But you also don't have to start with that. Some people, the befriending and the relationship skills, those are enough for a long time until their childhood starts rearing its head. And that's when you know that may be time to explore therapy.
Speaker 2: You know, I there's a point where a therapy is so important. And when we get into a place where we're now, things are popping up, Like you said, childhood rears its head. When those things happen, we really need somebody who understands that. I mean, I have worked in emotional health for a long long time, and there's still points where I will get to where I'll say, is this is necessary for you to seek somebody, and I won't. I won't just send them to just a regular therapist. I'll send them to somebody like you, because they may need to have medication. I'm not an advocate of medication, but I can tell you from my own experiences with hormonal imbalances that sometimes, yeah, a low level medication is needed to kick your body out of its dependency on whatever it shouldn't be depending on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I to be clear, I don't prescribe meds. I'm a therapist, not a psychiatrist. But absolutely I love that you are able to delineate the difference because a lot of coaches nowadays are doing trauma work it and for me that's kind of scary because you know, that's a realm where you really have to be trained and know what you're doing. Because the person can decompensate, they can go into deep depressions. We don't want that. We want them to be absolutely safe in doing the work at their own pace when they're ready.
Speaker 2: Right right. I have a lot of times I'll make sure they have a therapist before I begin, and then I work alongside the therapist. I have the ideal that you need to take to your therapist. You need to let your therapist know. We talked about this and I said it needed to go so that there's an extra set of ears involved for that therapist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you can do a lot of the supporting and handholding that they really need because the therapist is only an hour a week and a lot of people need more than that.
Speaker 2: I agree. So then we have our support system, Michelle, our close family, and friends. What do you hope that they learn from this conversation.
Speaker 3: But codependency is a tree with many branches. It can go everywhere. So if you're feeling kind of frustrated with your loved one because of the codependency, that's normal. But don't be afraid to set boundaries and take care of yourself, because you know, you don't want to hide from their codependency. You want to take care of yourself, even if you're not going to quote confront it, because sometimes that's not really what we want to be doing anyway. But if they're calling you incessantly, you know what you may have to say once, you know what, I can talk to you once a week and that's all I have right now, and boom, if they keep calling you, you don't answer the phone. Like so many times, the family and friends of codependence need to set better boundaries and let go of the fact that they may be super hurt, they may feel abandoned. That's their work. You're not responsible for their reaction. And a lot of times people get, you know, kind of lost in the codependence reaction. But that's where you have to go back into your body and go you know what, I'm just taking care of myself, being kind, but letting them know this is what I can do and this is what I can't.
Speaker 2: Yes. And going back to the beginning part of this conversation where I was talking about the trauma bond, I didn't actually label it earlier, but the trauma bond is different than codependency. And I had said that for trauma bonding, we needed to find a sponsor to three sponsors that we call when we're in this and I say two to three. One is yes, you may not be able to call that one because they're out of pocket or whatever. But just like you're saying, sometimes we just can't handle our friend puking on everything all the time, all the time. So being able to tag team it with friends or family members makes that easy. Now, codependency is a little bit different than trauma bonding. So what do you recommend when they're now craving that person?
Speaker 3: So that's where your support system comes in. And that's where I always recommend alan On or CODA because in the beginning, you can't go from being highly dependent to being healthy interdependent. It's too big a leap. So what a lot of people do is they transfer that energy to meetings and they'll go to a meeting a day. They'll start talking at every meeting because they're overflowing with pain. But that's a healthier alternative then calling your friend a dozen times and wiping them out. So that's where you know people. It's funny how people have, you know, their own misconceptions about twelve step programs, like it's a cult, it's a religious program. No, it's not. You don't have to believe in God in any way. If somebody tells you that, just go on to the next person. But you know, it is a safe place to go to share because they're not going to give you direct advice. They're not going to say, oh, you should leave him. No, they're just gonna let you talk and say keep coming back. And that's where we need to transfer that energy to a healthier support system. And to me, the twelve step program, especially allan On, is really a great choice for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and I went to alan On, but it was because my mother, mother was an alcoholic for me when I needed to talk about stuff, and I love the twelve step as I would go to Narcotics Anonymous. The allan On portion of that either because those people's problems were even though I wasn't using drugs or alcohol, their problems was the same as my problems. And I love to hear because I'm like, oh, okay, well there is a way, you know, we can come together and support each other. And so so then that brings me to this this last little bit is eventually, especially in marriage, if there's going to be a divorce or any help or mending of the relationship, they're gonna have to seek outside help. They're gonna have to go to a therapist, They're gonna have to seek a coach, or you know, in my case, you know, sometimes the cops are called. So what do you want that group of the outside support system to know?
Speaker 3: You mean the husband and wife or what do you know?
Speaker 2: If if I am codependent and I am struggling, I might go to a therapist with this, right, Maybe it's a therapist who haven't dealt with that kind of stuff, or maybe there's physical abuse along with the codependency. So what do you want that group of people to know?
Speaker 3: Well, interview your therapist for sure, because not every therapist deals with it. We all have our own niches, uh, And that's really important. Because when you're trying to get out of an abusive relationship, you need a lot of support, but you also need to ask some really import and questions like how do you work with codependency, how do you work with toxic relationships? What's your modality? Because some people are going to say, oh, you know, I listen a lot, like some therapists, you know, old school, they might listen a lot, but they may not give you a lot of feedback. And if you're the kind of person that needs a lot of feedback, you need to know up front. That's what the initial phone call is for, is to figure out what kind of support you want and what kind they give, because not every therapist, you know, there's so many different kinds of therapy and personality styles out there, and you need to know what you want so that you can get the support you need.
Speaker 2: And I think that's super important. And you know, oftentimes I'm telling you know what I want the cops to know about physical views and things like that, But in this case, if you're a therapist and they come to you, yeah, it's super important. I think, you know, especially like for I'm a coach and yes, I work in the emotional arena. But my client needs to know I'm not a licensed therapist, and so I think that's super important, or I do trauma informed, or I do as opposed to making sure that we get a client, it's super important that we tell our prospect who we are and what we do and what we're capable of we're not capable of doing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and if you're a therapist working with codependency, you have to have really good boundaries and you have to realize that what they see is the problem may be completely different than what you see, because they may come in saying, hey, my husband's the problem. Because most codependents are super nice, generous people, they do not see their faults. Now some do, but a lot of times we don't because we're with such toxic people. It's super easy to go it's this, it's this person, right, it's not me, So you know, it's definitely a patient process. And also, some codependent people or sorry, some therapists have codependent tendencies. So you also have to be doing your own work because you could very easily want to rescue them and to get them out of their situation. And that's not helpful either. That's not our job. Our job is to support and provide guidance, but we can't, you know, now, become codependent on our clients and try to fix them right.
Speaker 2: And I find, especially in the therapy world, that happens quite a bit. But I look at it with me and I've had to go to the victim's triangle and I've had to use this to explain things to other people because it was explained to me. Because you know, in the victims triangle there's four or three points, right, Yeah, have your victim right, your perpetrator, your rescuer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course we're part of that triangle when we're rescuing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And that's not helpful for the client. The client needs to be able to figure out, Okay, am I codependent? Do I want to do the work? Or am I still in that stage of feeling like a victim of my circumstance, Because that's part of the work too, is to be where that person is and to gently help them explore alternatives.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, most definitely. So we're coming here to the end, Michelle, And I noticed in the stuff that you sent me that's going to be all of your contact information is going to be low be below this in the section, and do you have a freebie that you're offering in there? So can you tell everybody about that?
Speaker 3: Sure, it's the seventh steps of healing one side of relationships, basically codependent relationships, and it's going to walk you through how to identify that, the signs and symptoms, and what are some initial ways you can start to pull back safely and create healthier relationships by practicing some baby boundaries, by learning more about detachment, by taking care of yourself more than the other person, because there's some little things people can do that can make a big difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So just because I'm hearing this, I didn't look it over. Would that actually help at least in the beginning steps of trauma bonding?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, because if in the trauma bonding you're negating your own needs, you're not being able to hear your truth or discover your truth, you're in a toxic pattern. Absolutely it can.
Speaker 2: Okay, very very good. So how I know all your content information will be in the show notes. But how can somebody reach you? What's the best way?
Speaker 3: So my website is Counseling Recovery dot com and my YouTube channel is Michelle Ferris at. I think it's your relationships that work, and I'm sure i'll give you the link, but those are the two easiest places to get.
Speaker 2: Me okay, awesome, and I do invite everybody to go watch that. I didn't know that you had the YouTube channel with all of that, so when I was reading through all of that, I'm like, oh, I definitely want to make sure I check that out. Nice, so very good. And for those of you who don't know me, I am a certified high conflict divorce and co parenting specialist. My job is to help you go through the most difficult parts of the divorce, the deciding, the finding the right attorney and all of that part, but keeping your peace. My job is to help you set boundaries, to keep those boundaries, and to help you communicate respectfully to your soond VX. And everyone's like, why would I ever want to communicate respectfully to them? Because the judge is watching. Okay, That's why it's so important. And the more that we do it respectful for them, the better we will fill in the end, the better we are coming out the other end. That's what I do. Helping you go through that shortens the time of your divorce and shortens the amount of money that you're going to spend in the process. And you can find me by going through and emailing me at Tina dot Huggins dot s e at gmail dot com. That's t I n A dot h U g g I n S dot s e at gmail dot com. My website is Divorce Coach Specialist dot com. And you can find me on social media too, Facebook under Tina Lynn Huggins, LinkedIn under Tina Huggins, Instagram under Divorce Coach Tina Lynn, and TikTok whereas you find me most often under Divorce Tina. So as we come to the end, what is the last little bit of support or knowledge that you want to give to our viewers today?
Speaker 3: You are exactly where you need to be right now. Don't judge your process.
Speaker 2: I love that. That is. That's the first time anybody's ever said that one But that is so true. That is, you know, I use that often to people. In fact, I did it earlier today to a person that's in a domestic violent shelter and they're so worried about It's like, nope, stop and it's okay to be overwhelmed. You should be overwhelmed. This is crazy. Just allow yourself and I kind of do what I learned from my instructors and stuff where we just need to check in with ourselfs label the fact that this is overwhelmed, where's that in our body? And go from there. So my little bit of advice for everybody is to go check out her YouTube channel. If she's got all these wonderful tips out there, that's my advice for you is to go check that out because everything that you heard today is amazing and what she has over there has to be extremely amazing. With three million viewers, thank you so much and thank you so much for being on the show today, Michelle.
Speaker 3: This is lovely.
Speaker 2: Thank you great and we'll see everybody next time. Thank you. Welcome to new Streamingnetwork dot com. The future of streaming is here. Looking for bold, diverse and engaging content. New Streaming Network brings you the best in TV, podcasting, radio, all in one place.
Speaker 3: From entertainment and lifestyle to business and inspiration. We're streaming what matters most to you, anytime, anywhere on Roku, multiple TV stations and numerous podcast platforms and WGSNDB Going Solo Network Radio Watch listen and connect. Join millions already tuning in Visit new streamingnetwork dot com start streaming today