Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: That they had a big sight and jealous with a guy.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty six has been a weird year, hasn't it. It's barely begun man. When everyone looks at something and half the population sees one thing and the other half sees something completely different. We're cooked. We are done. Stick a fork in it. This is season thirteen, episode three, forty one, by the way, and it's all about trying to figure out what's right when nothing is, you know, kind of like twenty twenty six. It was March eighth, twenty twenty one, in the small community of Mickleton, New Jersey. Police cars swarmed the neighborhood. Flashes of blue lights started across the living room windows. The quiet street was swallowed by.
Speaker 3: I look out the window and I have a bunch of you know, police officers were out here, and when we see had to come out and see what the commotion was about. And it wasn't good.
Speaker 1: It wasn't good. In a community with crime rates well below the national average, no one expected a violent crime, let alone the murder of a senior citizen. This rare crime would go down as the only murder in the community for years. Never issues like this, never see anything like this.
Speaker 4: Everybody kind of you know, keeps themselves, the neighborhoods, really nice people everybody.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a shock when stuffing like this happens. Sixty six year old Michael Debkowski was found murdered in his laundry room. He was bludgeoned in the head, his face masked in a sweatshirt. The only thing missing from the home was his car.
Speaker 5: I was really shocked. I was really upset to find out like who it was.
Speaker 3: Mike was a real good guy, you know. He was the type of guy that would help you out if you need a hand, if you see you out in the yard work, and always we when you go by, always had a kind thing to say to you. Never seen him, you know. Mad just just a total shock that it happened to him.
Speaker 1: Mike never married. Instead, he spent his time away from work as an engineering consultant volunteering in the community. He was active in his church, taught religious education, and was a member of the Catholic fraternal organization Knights of Columbus. He was even a big brother of America mentoring youth.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible way for anybody to go. You know, you're in your own home and you know, to be cut down like that by yourself alone.
Speaker 5: I just hope it doesn't happen again around here. That was horrible to see.
Speaker 1: It all started with a call from a woman named Carol. She spoke with Mike multiple times a day every day. That afternoon, at about one pm, she was talking to Mike when his demeanor suddenly changed. He ended the call saying he would call her back. She was left on the other end of the phone wondering what was going on. When she never heard back from him and was only getting to his voicemail, she called police. The police conducted a welfare check at his residence eighty five Myrtle Avenue. There was no response when they knocked on the door. They walked around the house looking through the windows for any sign of Mike. Finally, they managed to lift the garage door a few inches. That's when they noticed his car was gone. They ran the plates through the system. They found out that the license plate was scanned by an automated plate reader in Camden, New Jersey, Carol told police that Mike would only ever visit his brother, but that he would take a train. As far as she knew, he didn't have any trips planned. The police decided to go into the home. They lifted the garage door just enough for an officer to crawl underneath. Once in the garage, he immediately noticed the interior door had signs of fourth entry. On the other side of the door was the laundry room, and on the floor was Mike in a pool of blood. Mike put up a fight, though the struggle that ended in his death had started in the kitchen, went through the living room and ended up in the laundry room. When police told Carol about Mike's death, her first question was whether Sean Lannin had murdered him.
Speaker 6: Breaking news the search for a person of interest in a South Jersey murder.
Speaker 7: We have a scary situation here in Gloucester County. What could this guy could be anywhere? At this point police are looking for.
Speaker 6: Sean lannon is wanted in connection with yesterday's homicide, and East Greenwich Township.
Speaker 7: Investigators say he's considered absolutely armed and dangerous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is a national manhunt right now. There's a stolen car from South Jersey that he may be using, a blue hon the CRV with Jersey plates. Also, they think he was spotted at the water Rad Transportation Center, which will likely send off alarm bells all over the Filly area because that is the bus station right next to the Ben Franklin Ridge. You could take a bus in the Billi in five minutes. You could take the river line up and down the river where you could take the Pat Goalie speedline to Locus Street if you wanted.
Speaker 1: The manhunt for Sean Lanin was nationwide, but he was from New Jersey. He grew up there. He went to high school and ran track. Nobody thought his name would be in the news for anything like this, though. But the reason Carol suspected Sean was that Mike had been in Shawn's life since he was a child. Sean didn't have a father growing up, so his mother Lynn enrolled him in the Big Brother program. Mike became his big brother and father figure.
Speaker 9: His father was a career criminal I Americ in nineteen seventy. I was a couple of years in.
Speaker 2: I knew I did english to be married him anymore.
Speaker 1: She explained life was so hard when Sean was young, and over time she came to rely on Mike.
Speaker 10: Too because I was a single parent.
Speaker 9: And I worked, so I counted on Mike to kind of picked up the slack. We were pushed we were just four because single women are just poor. It's just part of the Yeah, it's just he's what. So I know, Mike was good to him in terms of, you know, possessions, because I couldn't. I couldn't and it was hard, and I was grateful for Mike that the kids could have clothes that, you know, Otherwise we shopped in goodwill.
Speaker 1: Mike became a lifelong fixture in Sean's life, following him into adulthood and even marriage. His in laws even knew the man everyone called Uncle Mike.
Speaker 2: We knew Uncle Mike.
Speaker 11: Uncle Mike was at plenty of birthday parties and dinners, dinners at the house, and.
Speaker 12: He was a big brother that stayed in his life. He was his father. He was family friend that was like a father figure to him. I can't remember his name, was just like, oh, uncle Mike, Uncle Mike.
Speaker 1: Everyone who knew Uncle Mike knew him as an upstanding citizen and a great man. Who devoted himself to others rather than selfish pursuits. But years after his big brother mentorship, when Sean grew up, he started sharing his childhood trauma with his wife.
Speaker 11: I knew Jen had said that he was molested when he was a kid.
Speaker 2: They never said uncle Mike. He never showed any dislike of Uncle Mike. Uncle Mike was always wonderful.
Speaker 12: My sister told me at one point, I didn't know it was him. That Sean had been Melissa as a kid, had childhood, but I did not know it was him. I didn't connect the dots there. But everything seemed normal when we met. I met Mike. I see you know. I knew they were close friends. It was a father figure. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary there.
Speaker 1: While everyone seemed to know about Sean's childhood trauma, no one put two and two together. It was too hard to imagine that Mike, the man who gave so much to the land and family and asked for nothing in return, could be the one who had molested Sean. But there was one person Sean shared more with, the longtime nanny to his kids. Remember Sean mentioning an old score that needed settling and Mike.
Speaker 5: I've known for years about Mike.
Speaker 2: He would never really post kids alone with Mike.
Speaker 13: So he had mentioned sexual assault that of herd when he was a young boy, right before his teens, up until I mean he went off to the R and I.
Speaker 5: He had said that was an old school that he needed to say for Mike.
Speaker 1: The anger he must have felt, the shame that must have lingered with him for ye years. Two days after the murder, on March tenth, the man hunt was over. He was arrested and questioned about his reasons for killing a retired old man, the man that molested.
Speaker 10: Me, his child, my big brother, big brother's big sisters, and there the lists too.
Speaker 1: At forty seven years old, something snapped in Sean Lannon. He had three young kids. People who knew him say they were his whole world. But somewhere along the line, something in Sean's world shifted. You could no longer live with what he claimed Mike Debkowski did to him as a child. He had to take control back.
Speaker 10: Who wanted the pictures, Sir Michael wanted the pictures back. He want to give them pictures.
Speaker 1: I step being on March eighth, when Mike saw Sean Lannon walking up to his driveway. He ended the call with Carol because he knew it couldn't be good. Mike had been lending Sean money for years, but he never seemed to get back on his feet. This time, Sean didn't want money. He wanted the sexually explicit photos he claimed Mike took of him as a kid. Sean said. Mike denied having those photos, so he punched him in the face a few times.
Speaker 10: Just give me the fucking pictures about.
Speaker 1: It, Sean said. After a few stiff punches, Mike gave him the pictures, but Sean wasn't done. He escalated the situation and the two started to scuffle. At sixty six years old, Mike wasn't as strong as he used to be and quickly tried to retreat through the living room, but Sean pursued. The laundry room connects the rest of the house to the garage. Mike was trying to escape, but Sean found a hammer. He struck Mike on the head and he collapsed to the floor. With his mission complete, Sean locked the house and left, planning to steal Mike's car, but when he got outside, he realized he didn't have the keys. He had to force his way back into the home to get the keys off of Mike's dead body. The problem was Mike wasn't dead. He lay on the floor, barely breathing. Sean grabbed a nearby sweatshirt and placed it over his head so he wouldn't get covered in blood, and swung the hammer a few more times.
Speaker 10: He expired the moment today realized I had time to finish it. It's ekscite. That's horrible too. I don't give a fuck about meus years, that's just fine. I feel bad.
Speaker 1: Sean took Mike's life. He called this man uncle since childhood. He expressed remorse, but there was no emotion behind the words. What happened to Sean that, after all of these years, he suddenly let all this harbored aggression out.
Speaker 9: It was it was a nice young man. He ran tracked, he ran on cross country. He was it was fun loving. I didn't know that he had potential sexual molestation front.
Speaker 10: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: After his arrest, Shawn's mother, Lynne said she never knew. She claimed naivete for not seeing it, but there was a lot about Sean she didn't know, didn't see until it was too late. Two days earlier, on March eighth, before he was arrested. It wasn't just a national manhunt, it was a national concern.
Speaker 6: Police standing guard tonight at the scene of yesterday's homicide on East Greenwich Township, Gloucester County, and at this hour the search continues for Sean Lannon, not only for this crime, but also in connection with a multiple killing. Herns out that Lanin is also a person of interest in a quadruple murder in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: By the time the sun set on March, Michael Debkowski was dead and the search for Sean Lannon had crossed state lines. News reports painted a picture of a violent attack, a desperate escape, and a suspect now tied to four more murders in New Mexico, but the headlines didn't explain how Sean got there.
Speaker 9: And when he graduated high school he went into the army for five years, he went to Costvo, which, if you know the history of Kosovo, it was a violent mass grave, the littlest bitch ethnic cleansing.
Speaker 12: I mean, it was just like night.
Speaker 2: But he didn't back. The same young man he went over with I'm sure a lot.
Speaker 10: Of soldiers are the same line.
Speaker 9: They see atrocities, and I said, Sean, you need some of PTSD help.
Speaker 10: You need some help with this. This is too much.
Speaker 1: Sean was never the same after his tour in Kosovo, lingering mental scars added to his already damaged mental health. It seemed his whole perspective on life had shifted.
Speaker 9: He divorced his first wife. When he came home, he told me there could be no God because of what he saw.
Speaker 1: What he saw in combat took a toll on Sean. But it wasn't long before the old Sean started to shine through.
Speaker 9: It was in McDonald's one day and he met a girl named Liz. They were a whole other seven years together.
Speaker 1: For a short time, Sean seemed content, but it wouldn't last. It was while he was with Liz that he met Jennifer Whitman.
Speaker 12: I mean, he met probably about nine years ago. She had been married at that point and from her first husband. She was in her home nurse and that's how they met. She was in there working and that's how they met.
Speaker 1: It wasn't long after jen started working as an in home nurse for Shawn and Liz At. A relationship developed and they were having a secret, you know, a secret affair at that point, which eventually came out.
Speaker 9: She was married to somebody else. They had an affair and then just they were just like you know, starcross the lovers and everything was like wonderful and like them.
Speaker 12: At that point, she lost her first husband. They got together.
Speaker 1: Both Sean and Jen were already married, but that didn't seem to matter. They're fair turned into a full fledged relationship and then they got married.
Speaker 12: She went off for Sewan did, but they did. They got married in March of twenty thirteen. None of us were there. We found out through Facebook.
Speaker 1: Their relationship blossomed and it wasn't long before they welcomed their first child into the world, a little girl. About a year later, they had a second little girl. Not long after that, Jen was pregnant again, this time with a boy. From the outside, everything was perfect.
Speaker 2: He had a decent job. You know, he was good at his job.
Speaker 9: He enjoyed his job, he enjoyed the you know, being able to provide.
Speaker 11: He liked Saul was a hard worker. He was an excellent dad. He loved Jen and he did anything for Jen.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 12: Through the years, they seemed to be okay.
Speaker 1: But behind the scenes, the couple was struggling.
Speaker 10: On some level.
Speaker 9: She wanted that picture of the because he grew up in church and you know, everybody wants to be married and you know, have that happy little house with the white picket fens and kids running around. She wanted to put on a side that she was all together and and she she could maintain that for a while until the need for you know, drugs.
Speaker 14: To go work.
Speaker 1: Jen started to slip into drug addiction.
Speaker 12: Jen was having some troubles with prescription drugs. She hurt her back before she left her first husband, and she was on some pain pillows for her back.
Speaker 1: It started slowly at first, but then escalated quickly. She lost her nursing license because of her addiction and sank deeper into it. Soon there were issues that couldn't be missed even through the facade of the perfect life.
Speaker 15: And now.
Speaker 9: The first time dyfus was called in New Jersey was because she was violent. She was on the drugs. She was violent and she threw like barb chairs at them and the babysitter got bad.
Speaker 1: Babysitter called them diffus as it's referred to or DYFS stands for the Division of Youth and Family Services in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Then we had to have protection plans in place.
Speaker 9: So was Manson on the protection plan, and she couldn't be left alone with the kids on superpest.
Speaker 1: Gen's addiction only got worse.
Speaker 9: In twenty sixteen, she had a heroin overdose.
Speaker 10: Dyphus took the.
Speaker 2: Kids in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 10: I got the.
Speaker 9: Call that night, shown says, come home, they're taking the kids.
Speaker 10: I got them home.
Speaker 9: They bade fast him one house and so we had the kids for the next forty nine days.
Speaker 11: While she was.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be getting herself together, Sean was getting therapy.
Speaker 1: And that was their life, a cycle of Jen strung out on opiates, going to rehab, getting out, and eventually relapsing again, all the while they were trying to convince DYFS that the kids weren't in danger. Sean worked at an oil refinery, putting in a lot of hours. Sometimes he would be gone for weeks at a time, leaving the kids with Jen. This led to a lot of calls to DYFS. Needless to say, they weren't convinced, but in late twenty seventeen, Sean got an opportunity within his company. He was offered another job in New Mexico to get.
Speaker 12: Ready to move to Mexico about three four years ago.
Speaker 1: I think it was I'm sure they looked at it as a fresh start in a new state. Sean moved to New Mexico with the kids and Jen returned to rehab.
Speaker 2: You know, she got out of rehab. She came back, He divorces her.
Speaker 9: He takes her to you know, DIYFIS and get through parental rights taken away.
Speaker 11: She didn't really deserve any rights. They were divorced just by paper. They were still together as a husband and wife. They never left each other only the time that Jen was in rehab for three or four.
Speaker 12: Months, so I knew about it. I didn't know why. Well, I think from what I understood, it was that they ran to lose custody of the kids if Dick stayed marriage. So they got worse, so Sean could hold full costoy to the kids and the kids would be safe, so they won't lose because j Chen was going through her drug problem.
Speaker 1: Of course, Jen was still there. She lived the house with Sean and the kids. She had no rights on paper, but in reality, when Sean wasn't home, she had full responsibility for their three small children. Taking care of her kids was difficult for Jen. She often chose her addiction over her children. Then Sean got sick.
Speaker 5: I wasn't really living nanny in the past couple of years. But when Sean got diagnosed with cancer, I was there a lot. I want to say it's his lungs. I think it's mesophelioma. I'm not sure. I know he's been saying he was seeing a doctor. I used to take on the treatments every day up until October when he was real bad.
Speaker 13: When he first started getting female he used to have to be like just walked to the bathroom and everything, like he could barely stand up.
Speaker 5: So I would stay there. A lot of times I didn't stay there.
Speaker 1: Sean was so sick that he was physically wrecked. Jen wasn't any help, so they had to hire a nanny to help take care of the kids. Then Sean lost his job because of all the time off. The little money they had started to dwindle fast, and the problems with Jen got worse.
Speaker 12: Jen had run off with somebody after had an argument that she hit him with a frying pain and he was bruised up and marked up from that, and then she ran off with some guy that went to Arizona.
Speaker 2: That they had a big fight and Jen left with a guy.
Speaker 1: According to Sean, Jen abandoned her family at their lowest point.
Speaker 14: It's unlike my daughter to go two weeks without calling us, then three weeks. It's unlike my daughter not calling us or texting us three weeks January.
Speaker 12: February moved forward talk to my parents about finally missing Presson report because Sean wasn't really communicating to my parents as much. He gave us a little information, and all of a sudden, once we started pushing the police, it seemed like that's where you started talking. You know, I saw her two weeks ago, where she only comes around for money. You know, I'll see her soon. I mean even said that he saw her in town, and I just I just kept saying, this guy, Uh, something doesn't seen right.
Speaker 1: On March fifth, one, three days before the murder of Mike Dobkowski and the national manhunt, in the concrete shadows of an Albuquerque airport parking garage, a worn down pickup truck waited for someone to find what was inside.
Speaker 15: Albuquerque International Sunport. This is James James. This is our Space Defense officer Martinez with CIS. I'm on patrol in the garage. I have a vehicle here on the fourth floor and within five feet of the vehicle you could smell some sort of rotten cringing order.
Speaker 1: On the fourth floor of the airport parking garage was a maroon Ford Ranger backed into a spot far from all the other cars. While the truck was suspicious with all the storage bins loaded inside and out, it was the wafts of rot that got the security guard's attention.
Speaker 15: The vehicle is filled with multiple tubs storage containers, plastic storage containers throughout the bed of the vehicle as well as the cab. All right, we'll just keep an eye on it and if anything changes, let us know if anything. Okay, are you going to No, I'm not sending no, I'm not sending an officer because the vehicle stinks. Okay, all right, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: The truck didn't have any signs of a break in and no one was inside. It was just very smelly, but the guard couldn't let it go. You finished checking the rest of the garage and then took his suspense his boss. His boss couldn't let it go.
Speaker 12: Either, confers, this is mark nine to one down at longside. How are you good?
Speaker 15: How you doing good?
Speaker 11: Good?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 12: I went up to level four.
Speaker 6: It just looks weird, man, it is.
Speaker 15: It is packed full of stuff, like carp.
Speaker 16: Down in the back, and every seat in the cab is fully loaded, including the past the driver's seat with like rubber made toads and stuff.
Speaker 15: And there is an odor there.
Speaker 16: And he said, he talked to you guys, and I understand that the truck is registered, and you know, there's really not a whole lot to go on, but I mean, it might not be a bad idea that maybe I have an Obviously, look at it, dude, it just looks weird, dude.
Speaker 1: Eventually, patrol officers were dispatched to the fourth level of the Sunport Parking garage. The bed of the little pickup truck was filled with storage toats, covered with a deflated air mattress, a broken headboard from a twin bed weighed all down. The cab of the truck filled with miscellaneous items. Every surface, even the driver's seat, was packed with stuff. Boxes of loose clothing were scattered in the back seat a Thomas the tank engine. Theeinged toy box was ran behind the driver's seat. The passenger seat was piled with stuff and covered by a tarp. It was more than just a little strange that someone would park a truck loaded with personal items at the airport and leave it there. It's not like people usually need to catch a flight in the middle of moving. And I'm pretty sure that people that live out of the car aren't world travelers.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Like beyond the seat right hand, the culture's blood on her shirt.
Speaker 5: Like those loppers right there, I can't sell that's rest.
Speaker 10: On it or I don't know, like around the blade part and kind of looks red reddish could be based off what we're looking at.
Speaker 1: It means the patrol officers immediately understood what the security guards were talking about. This truck reeked of decay. They called a forensic investigator to determine if they were justified in their concerns.
Speaker 5: We have a suspicious situation here. It's a bunch of fat, thin couple were cut.
Speaker 10: In the back.
Speaker 5: It smells off your dads.
Speaker 10: No, we kind of pulled one over and it looks like there might be.
Speaker 17: So.
Speaker 5: Then nobody heard this kitty.
Speaker 1: It was such an outlandish idea that the officer giggled body parts, you say, don't be silly shoulders. When officers peeled back one of the tot's lids, they were smacked in the face with the thick stench of decomposition. Patrol officers led the forensic investigator around the truck, pointing out what looked like blood, hair, and human skin. The police weren't sure what was going on with that little red truck, but they were going to find out. The truck was registered to sixty year old Randall Apostolon, an Albuquerque local. He had no criminal record. How his truck ended up at the airport was a mystery. The major Crime scene team and the Office of the Medical Investigator methodically documented the contents of each toe. The first tote contained a bloody, deflated swimming pool, but underneath was a male torso. The torso was missing ahead a left arm and the legs below the knees. It was covered in tattoos and clothed from the waist down. Whoever dismembered his body was in such a hurry that they cut through the clothes in the second tote, they found another torso covered by a red and white blanket. It was missing the head, both legs, and a right hand. The blade from a reciprocating saw was lodged into the rib cage. It had a tattoo on the right shoulder and was clothed from the waist up. In the third tote, they found a single human thigh. In the fourth tote, they found a fully clothed and fully intact body of a female under a blanket. Her hair was dyed blonde with streaks of red. She was curled in a fetal position and crammed into a fifty gallon bin. Each tote added a piece to the story. They found human remains, but also the tools used to dismember them. They found black gloves and multiple knives covered in blood. In the Thomis the Tank Engine themed toy box, they found a head, two legs, and strands of hair clinging to a bloody hacksaw. I don't think I have to stress how unsettling it is to find this cruesome scene inside a children's toy chest. It's downright nightmare inducing. It was already one of the most disturbing crime scenes in Albuquerque's history, and then they pulled back the tarp in the front seat. Underneath was the complete body of a man. He was curled in a fetal position with his knees on the floorboard. His arms were pinned under his body, and his head was forced into the seat back. There was evidence of severe trauma to the head and face. When they pulled the crumpled body out of the truck, they understood why underneath the body was a blood covered short handled sledgehammer. It was clear that the body in the passenger seat was the owner of the Randall, from what officers could tell, looked like his license photo. Detectives now had to find out why Randall was dead in his own truck with the dismembered bodies of three others. They also needed to identify the man caught on airport surveillance cameras parking the truck. But they started their investigation with the address associated with Randall's license To help you, Johnathan.
Speaker 4: With he's my brother, right, we did you're looking for him? Yeah?
Speaker 18: I really don't know where he is to be honest with you, Okay, all he does is to receive his mail here.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, okay, So where do you think he's living.
Speaker 18: I truly think he's living out of his vehicle. I truly tell me why you think that? Because he's destitute, he's broke. Okay, he's scraping for gas to put it in the truck.
Speaker 1: Randall's brother Mark didn't seem surprised when police showed up asking about him. Randall was homeless, living out of his truck. He did random tree trimming to make money, but Mark was adamant that Randall couldn't be responsible for anything that required a police investigation.
Speaker 10: What I will do, gentlemen, is I will give.
Speaker 18: Can I get your name too down that way and if you want to put your number two, I'll tell you to call these guys if you're a person of interest in a murder.
Speaker 10: I'm kidding about that.
Speaker 1: You know, being a police officer is hard. Can you imagine having a conversation with someone all the while knowing that their brother is dead, but you can't tell them because they haven't been positively identified yet. Just imagine how painful that would be.
Speaker 18: But I'll just tell him your person of interest, yes, and to talk to him so I don't know what's what's going on.
Speaker 6: And even if you don't hear from him, but hear from somebody else that might know where he is.
Speaker 12: Please call us.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The police still couldn't divulge that information, not until lay knew the connection to the other murders. Thankfully, they didn't have to wait long. The Sheriff's office from Sibola County, New Mexico called to explain that the descriptions of the dismembered body parts matched the descriptions of three missing persons in their jurisdiction.
Speaker 19: Police so identified four bodies that were found in a vehicle at the Sunport on Friday. Three of the victims, twenty one year old Matthew Miller, forty year old Justin Mata, and thirty nine year old Jennifer Lannon, had been reported missing out of grants back in January. Officials are investigating how the fourth victim, sixty one year old Randall Apostolone, is connected to the other.
Speaker 1: The heavily tattooed torso was identified as forty year old Justin Mata, last seen by his girlfriend on January seventeenth. The torso with a single shoulder tattoo was identified as twenty one year old Matthew Miller, seen by his grandmother on January twenty fourth. The intact female body was identified as none other than thirty nine year old Jennifer Lannon, Shawn's ex wife. The Cibola Sheriff's office also told Albuquerque detectives that all three were tied to drugs and that their main suspect, Sean Lannon, had already likely fled to New Jersey.
Speaker 17: We're just in that the multi state manhunt is now over for a man wanting the connection with five murders. Minutes ago, we learned that federal marshals captured Seawan Lannon in Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 1: Sewn fled New Mexico with his kids on March fourth. The bodies in the truck weren't found until the following day, March fifth. By March seventh, the local police and New Jersey were already taking the kids from Shawn's family. Shawn was on the run in Virginia. He spoke with police that night. They told him they wanted to talk to him and that they had already found the body his wife. He agreed to return home, but never did. Instead, he made a bee line for Mike's house. He arrived on March eighth. By the time Sean was arrested on March tenth, he had already made it all the way to Saint Louis in Mike's car. He was caught sleeping inside. He had some questions to answer.
Speaker 10: One day, I took a walk of Walmart person devils stronger empty to get groceries. Hal if I were into the walker, Rella was in my food car, turned around, came back in the front door, went down the hallway to get my food card on my dresser, and it was quiet. When he had kids open the door. Gentlemen est on their fucking. I knew they were. They were divorced. Whenever I was like idiots, suck at the kids grabbing a card.
Speaker 1: Seeing Jen fucking another man didn't really face Sean. He was just worried about the kids. He didn't see them or hear them.
Speaker 10: So called kids. Nothings on the door crush her mind. Some palla blankets, mind of blankets.
Speaker 9: Are the kids?
Speaker 1: Sean runs to his kids and picks up one of his daughters.
Speaker 10: Doesn't seem like any reasons to flip now against I could.
Speaker 1: Feels his daughter is non responsive, barely breathing. He looks at the other two kids. Neither one seemed to have a pulse.
Speaker 10: I'm flipping out, what the fuck you do? Justice putting off his clothes comes in like done times and you're like, they're fine, they're fine. I'm like to find that reason. Fuck you do? Says when they drugged them something they medicine.
Speaker 1: Justin assured Sean that he and Jen had done this a hundred times. They drugged the kids so they would go to sleep so they could fuck. Sean was livid the room at the house. Immediately, Jen picked up their son, the youngest. He showed no signs of pulse or breathing. Their baby was dead.
Speaker 10: She kisses the kids on the forehead, all three of them. She scares the jewel for shit.
Speaker 1: Jen, believing she was responsible for the death of her kids, didn't call for help. She went to the bedroom and prepared her heroine. Sean, with his medic training from the military, didn't give up so easily.
Speaker 10: They said. They also blue a heroin smoke in her faces, so they have nark hamon works looked around the fountain.
Speaker 1: In case you don't know, nark Ann is a brand name for a drug called the Loozone. It reverses the effects of opioids. A person overdosing on opiates and near death can be brought back in seconds with this drug, but Sewan only found a single dose, so in a matter of moments, he grabs some straw and some duct tape and rigged a dual applicator. He placed it under the noses of the two kids without a heartbeat. Normally, people who overdosed snap awake, but with Sean's kids, nothing happened. He was convinced they were beyond saving. He placed the barely breathing daughter on the couch so that nanny would see her when she arrived. With the other two kids dead, Sean felt like a failure. He no longer had a reason to live.
Speaker 10: That's a heroine. It was enough to take her life, so they really should breathing.
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 1: Jen had shot up the rest of her heroine in an attempt to end her life, but it wasn't enough. She was breathing, and she wasn't going to die. Sean psyched himself up for what he was about to do. He blamed her over and over for their children's deaths, and then, with.
Speaker 10: The pistol on her head, pulled the trigger, come sick later to put the pistol on my mouth. Man, Hello, this is the past one teeth I am, His son cried out. I was like, what the fuck you know?
Speaker 1: Right before he pulled the trigger and blew his own brains out. His son woke up and cried out, the kids weren't dead. Sean immediately abandoned his suicide attempt. Now the only problem was that he had already shot his wife anyway.
Speaker 10: I was living on bar time at that point, so I need to get my kids are safe. Come.
Speaker 1: Sean knew he would eventually get caught, but he wanted to get his kids to his family so they wouldn't be taken away. He starts preparing for their trip, but can't shake his anger for Justin. He blames him for the whole situation. He decides to kill him. He used Jen's phone to text him that everything was fine and to come over.
Speaker 10: Oh well, still beating justin moultime my kids. It took me like a week. They came to the house, the launcher room connected to the garage. Kill him before I kill him. He offered up a trade's phone hand pictures of Shawn Michael stand them naked, in my living room. I don't know what fuck his name is, William or Matthew Miller, whever that thought his name is this fucking dick on my sun shoulders.
Speaker 1: In an attempt to save his life, Justin offered picks to Sean. The pictures were of his naked son. On one side of his son was Matthew Miller, On the other was a man named Daniel Limos. Both had their exposed penises resting on the little boy's shoulders. Shahn's childhood trauma must have flooded back at that moment. He was tempted to let Justin go until he confessed he was the one who took the picture. Flashbacks of Uncle Mike probably flooded his brain, along with all the unresolved feelings of anger and shame. Then he realized why Justin had the pictures. He was selling them.
Speaker 10: He wanted He wanted to know if he could do a Sean Harem for it. So I said, well, if you find any events. He was looking down at the event, you can see it coming shot him back. The head disgusted me.
Speaker 14: Cross.
Speaker 1: Sean now had two murders to clean up, but he wasn't done yet. Sean wanted to kill the two men in the picture abusing his son. He tried to lure them to the house one at a time. Eventually, Matthew Miller showed up alone.
Speaker 10: I asked him about the thing with He said that it wasn't his idea, and I was like, you have an interaction in the picture, like you force someone have an direction in here? The child man shot him in the garage, said disgusting.
Speaker 1: This time, Sean planned ahead and lined the garage floor with tarps and whatever he could find so there wouldn't be much to clean up. But Matthew's body missed the fact.
Speaker 10: Kid felt kind of weird and my hand was like a part of bran and picked up his head, his hair, and he kind of wiggled the back of one so I had to contain it. Yeah, you're disgusting.
Speaker 1: Sean was running out of time. Ever since he lost his job, he'd been living off of unemployment, but with gens let's say, spending habits, they were getting kicked out of the house. The water and the electricity had already been shut off. He didn't have time to get to his next target.
Speaker 10: And I've been trying to get Daniel L. Rose to the house for froken weeks. He just wasn't that stupid.
Speaker 1: His original idea when he started dismembering Justin and Matthew was that maybe he could get away with it, maybe he could cut them up small enough that he could get rid of the pieces discreetly. But after he started, he found out how hard it was and also how utterly disgusting. He tried using a reciprocating saw to cut through Matthew's torso, but rather than cut through the bone, it got stuck and started violently shaking the corpse instead. Yeh, that's terrifying. So he resorted to knives and hand sauce and settled for just making them small enough to fit in storage toats. He spent the better part of the month cleaning the home. He ripped up the carpet and scrubbed the garage floor. He used so much bleach that he got blisters. Then came the time when he needed to dispose of the bodies. He had a literal truckload of storage bins. That's when he met Randall Apostolon.
Speaker 10: And then meet up with Randy Says Movement.
Speaker 1: Sean didn't have a car, so he needed help moving the toats. He asked around the street until he heard about Randall or Randy. Randy was living out of his truck and was always looking to make a quick buck. Randy told Sean he could not only move his stuff but also store it, but it would cost one hundred and fifty bucks. He took him to one storage unit, but it was full, so after driving around for a while, Randy changed his mind. He told Sean it was going to cost him another one hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 10: He just fleecees me for the one fifty. Tragic back like eat your shit out, and I'm like what. He's like, He's like, yeah, you look, I don't say nothing about what's in the boxes. At that point, I'm getting a fight.
Speaker 1: Of course, Randy knew what was in the boxes. It had been weeks at this point, even in the chile temperatures of Albuquerque in February. The smell was starting to point to signs of something something sinister.
Speaker 10: I think death. That's a smell that you're not going to forget any something.
Speaker 1: Soon, Randy knew. As Sean slowly realized, Randy knew he was left with only one option. He had to kill him. If he ratted him out, he'd never get his kids to safety. He had to for his kids.
Speaker 10: He was in traversy. I couldn't hit him two or three times in my hands, flipped the key at off position, something my hand got sore. Hit him with the hammer. I love a slatter. It's pretty discussing, huge potl chuck, come on, sand or horrible, pretty horrible taking a pleasure that I was discussing when my kids to be safe. I could have failed that last year now.
Speaker 1: He claimed he took no joy in what he did and that he did it all for the safety of his kids. But Sean's story didn't end with Jen or with Mike in custody. He would make a claim so staggering, so horrifying, that investigators couldn't even believe.
Speaker 4: It at first.
Speaker 1: He said there were more, many more. Sean's childhood was marked by sexual abuse. His adult life and marriage to Jen unraveled under the weight of addiction and violence. He killed four people in New Mexico, including Jen, and tried to hide their bodies in a truck at the airport. Days later, he showed up at Uncle Mike's house. Mike was a mentor, a father figure, but he had abused Sean as a child. That night ended with another brutal murder. When cot he confessed, but when police thought he was done, he had more to say.
Speaker 10: And the one time I have stayed in the back the kids one came in started beating the fuck out of Gen. Okay, she's on the own, just pumped from the face. I don't think he realized that was there.
Speaker 1: Sean saw the violence in his home against his wife, near his children, and he lost it. He claimed this was the first time he took a life.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was always always something relative to my kids.
Speaker 1: He claimed there were eleven others he killed connected to Jen through drugs. When they came looking for the money she owed and got violent, Sean would have to step in to protect his kids. The lavatives, Sean claimed to a dumped all eleven others in the Malpies. Apparently that part of New Mexico has old lava tubes traveling deep underground. If he threw any bodies in there, they'd never be found. He admitted that if he hadn't been caught in Saint Louis, he would have returned to New Mexico to hunt down Daniel Limus and kill him. Sean didn't blame Jen for everything. He blamed himself a lot too. But the kids deserved better and that was his driving motivation. Jen's drug associations put the kids in danger, but so did her neglect.
Speaker 5: But yeah, she was always heavilymbopic drugs. When I first met her, it was pillows and then she lost her nurse's license because of it. They just got it. She just got a deeper and deeper and deeper with it.
Speaker 9: I know that he talked all the time about her having boyfriends and at some point he thought she was prostituting herself for drugs. She would be like a drug mule, like if she came to New Jersey. They I didn't even know they did stuff. They hide things in their bodies.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know about that Jennifer.
Speaker 13: I mean, I've seen her get high in front of the kids, beave her kids for hours, She never reached, hit their diapers like they'd sit for days. They wouldn't eat nothing.
Speaker 1: Jen's addiction affected their kids before they were even born. Their second daughter was born with a heart defect. What a mom. And yes, I am victim blaming susan victim blaming the drug addict. Horrible mother, that's probably better off in the ground. Go tell your friends.
Speaker 5: Becca and Savannah both had far problems. That was way for us off. With Savannah, I mean she almost died though.
Speaker 2: She first was born.
Speaker 12: Like, she's has.
Speaker 15: One venture born her heart.
Speaker 5: She requires a lot more medical attention. The other children.
Speaker 10: She makes it to fifteen.
Speaker 20: Twenty would be unless they come out with some new medical technique. San has hard as she's also, yes, Shan is not expected to have a full life. She's gonna eat a pacemaker sooner than later. And Sean Mike wanted to be detoxed when he was.
Speaker 9: Born, but the baby was born rug addicted, So when the baby was born, Sean and myself had the whole GENCD A baby coming off.
Speaker 10: From that was like, it's horrible just holding him and these bodies racking me screaming.
Speaker 1: The short lives of those three children sound like utter turmoil. Before Shawn's arrest, the kids were taken by the state. After his arrest, the children went to Jen's brother Chris. He noticed the neglect immediately.
Speaker 12: I mean when he came in, you could tell they wrote malnourished. I mean, you can see it in their face, and like I said, you could see their colors, like their eyes were like sunken in almost like all around here. You didn't look like they were not fed. You can tell there's some definitely neglect there, some malnourishment. They had trouble eating when we've sat down for dinner or anything like that. And they're getting better. You can see in their face they got better color, they're eating better, they're growing. It seems like God knows what they've been through. I mean, you know, if they were left alone to fend for themselves.
Speaker 1: It's heartbreaking to think of what those kids must have experienced. But now they're safe. The way Sean Lannon was arrested was about as peaceful away as a national manhood could end. And when he was caught, he confessed, and he didn't just confess once. He confessed in every jurisdiction in which she committed a crime. He pleaded guilty in New Jersey to the murder of Michael Dibkowski. He was sentenced to thirty five years in prison. He pleaded guilty in New Mexico for the murderers of Justin Matta, Matthew Miller, Jennifer Lannon and Randall Apostolon. He was given fifteen years each for sixty years total. They'll serve the thirty five years in New Jersey first, then be transferred to New Mexico.
Speaker 4: Murderer, now you live your life miserably, feel the pain which you deserve to feel daily about taking the lives of innocent people. I can only wish it be hell on earth for your actions you committed.
Speaker 21: I don't know what evil poisoned your heart and mind that caused you to murder my brother rant will Postlot. What deranged state of mind consumes you to murder your ex Jennifer Lannon or Justin Madra, or Matthew Miller or Michael Dapolski. I do wish that New Mexico had the death penalty. The murderer deserves the death penalty.
Speaker 1: Sean committed horrible, deplorable acts. He said he did it for the sake of his children, But was he right? I don't know. This is a tough one. What I do know is this, if someone had harmed my kids, I would be pretty relentless in protecting them. Not sure if I'd murder someone, but you could probably push me there with enough trauma. I think a lot of parents would feel the same way. Sean loved his children, that much is undeniable. But the love became twisted into enabling Jen, into endangering the very kids he wanted to protect, and finally in violence he couldn't take back. He saw horror, he carried trauma, and he became a monster in trying to fight monsters. I guess it's a good lesson for us all. I don't excuse what he did, but I also don't mourn every life he took. I can't feel sympathy for people who prey on children or people who put their own children in danger. That's the tension in Sean's story. Love twisted into vengeance, protection warped into destruction. And maybe the scariest part is this, Sean Lannon believed he was doing the right thing. Isn't that something? How often does that happen in society? When people who think they're doing the right thing are just misinformed or tricked by those with ulterior mode. You could do a lot of harm trying to do the quote unquote right thing.
Speaker 13: I think what happened there was when he went to a Jersey I think seeing those pictures of that situation might have triggered something to do with Mike, and he was like just one of those pictures out, you know, that of Mike's possession, And I don't know.
Speaker 12: If there's truth to that, but I mean, I've just heard that he's had pain in his life and that I'm like, that probably makes sense knowing that. Okay, if this happened to him as a kid, maybe that's why he stayed offish. I guess it just makes sense if that that really did happen. I mean, you know, I can't imagine. I've never been through that, but I mean I can imagine that would really torment him, and that's why he felt like he needed to control certain situations.
Speaker 1: In the end, authority searched but never found evidence of the eleven bodies Sean claimed were hidden in the lava tubes. Whether it was truth, exaggeration, or manipulation, nobody wherever recovered, and those questions remain unanswered. They never found any proof of any of the pictures either. Sean said he destroyed Justin's phone and burned the photos Mike gave him. His three children were placed in the care of family far from the chaos. Their parents left behind, and Sean Lannon, a man who said he killed to protect his kids, will spend the rest of his life behind bars, unable to protect anyone from anything ever again. After thirteen years of doing this, I'm still trying to figure things out. Is trying to figure out what's moral and just and what isn't. So I just wanted to say that I appreciate all of you. We stick around for it.