Speaker 1: It's nice. I'm we're talking about Donald Trump's tariffs. Heuh. He announced a lot of terriffs this afternoon, spoke for about an hour. It was much more of a campaign rally than it was anything else. And I'm getting your reaction. It's as simple as that, these are gonna have big impacts. If I look at the doll futures for tomorrow morning, don't make you sick. It's as simple as that. But he says he's in it for the long game. We will see. Let's keep rolling here, see what other people have to say. I'm gonna go next to Pete in South Carolina. Pete, what's the mood in South Carolina? Tonight?
Speaker 2: Beautiful day. You could have played golf with just a knife shirt on. Anyway, Are those.
Speaker 1: Fires finally out down there? Pete?
Speaker 2: By the way, Oh yeah, yeah, they're gone. They're gone, thankfult. And we had some good rain up there. The Good Lord took care of it too, along with the first responders. Okay, I have two things that I don't understand. Number One, the terriffs don't apply to Like, if let's say I want to go out and buy a used or a pre owner certified whatever word you want to use. Yeah, Mercedes, Right, Okay, that's a foreign car. But it's already you know, did it get past the terriff or is there a tariff on.
Speaker 1: A pre oh well with the car? No, when the cars imported and was if the car's coming in from Germany? Uh, and it's it's I don't know. Let's say it's a it's a fifty thousand dollars or whatever. I don't know what the price of a Mercedes is, but let's assume it's a fifty dollars Mercedes. You you hit it with a twenty five percent tariff. Now it's going to be sixty two thousand dollars. That that's going to increase the price of sixty two. Now if somebody sells that car, and now's this on the used car market or you know, it's a secondary car. There's no tariffs on something that is sold internally.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I thought. Okay. Number two. If you ever go to Charleston, South Carolina, and you take the trolley tour, yeah, and they take you down by the Port of Charleston. The biggest exporter of goods going out of Charleston are the BMWs that they make here in South Carolina and they go back to Germany to get finished and then they can come back into the United States as an imported car.
Speaker 1: How those would be tighted, I don't know, because if they're coming back into the United States as a final product, why would they not finish them here? Maybe they would be incentive now now for the manufacturers to say finished. I mean, what are they doing putting like some hold on them?
Speaker 2: It's on over there, And I don't know. That's just you know what we've heard a number of times when we've had friends come in and we go up and they want to see Charleston because it's a beautiful, historic town. But the tour guide as all those traders that are going over to Germany have BMW's in them, that they're coming back once they're finished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting to me. Why why they would build BMW's here then send them. I don't have an answer to that, but I think we'll think six months from.
Speaker 2: Now we'll we all know the answer, Yeah we will. But anyway, again, a great show. You keep me listening all night tonight now because I want to hear what's going on.
Speaker 1: I think everyone a little bit including myself. Tonight, I'm looking forward to hearing from people who are in other businesses and how it's going to affect them. Pete is always appreciated.
Speaker 2: One more thing, you know, for me, as you know, I mean year older than you to the day. Okay, to me, it doesn't matter as much because I'm not going to be the one who's going to be paying all of this after stuff. You know, my grandkids are going to get nailed with all of that, as as is yours. All of the money that's being spent now that has got to be made up somewhere somehow sometime.
Speaker 1: Well there you're talking about I assume you're talking there about the national debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a different subject for a different night. So on that night.
Speaker 1: Thanks, good night, all right, I don't want to move people through here. Let me go to Bill and Danvers. BILLI your next night, Sega, right head Bill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, I'm gonna probably next few months, I'm gonna have to buy a new car. I get two hundred and thirty two thousand on this just yeah, and I had two fifty six on the other one. This is the second fort edge, and I have a Mustang a toy in storage and up by a Ford Explorer. So this car was made up in the flat Rock plant of Michigan. The Mustang was made there, and I assume my other Fort Edge probably was, and the Explorers made outside of Chicago. So I'm not overly concerned about it, and I'm and to be honest with yet, if it's a thousand to two thousand more or whatever, you know, was built here, and for every one factory job out there, there's four jobs that revolve around it, you know. I mean being in certain areas of the country, we don't particularly see it, but there's been areas of this country decimated there. I mean, I've driven through it, and I got friends in Michigan, and you know, we kind of have a tendency to wall ourself off sometimes, you know, certain areas of the country. You know, we go down and the teaching.
Speaker 1: You know, I know that you're you're you're a Trump supporter, and you're not disappointed.
Speaker 3: By this, no, because I'm looking at that shot today and you know, yeah, he puts some tariffs on, but it's not even close to what some of the other guys are doing. And I think it, be honest with you, you know, even the ones he put on the first administration, right, Biden didn't take him off, and I think once if he leaves them on and say another administration comes in. We all know Washington loves money. So if this thing comes in right and things on while we'll say the economy or Trump really tanks and the Republicans get to blame. Though the Democrats love the money, so I mean, they're not going to say no and say no more tariffs, you know what I'm saying. And the people that say that this is a tax I almost laugh at. Like Governor I hear in the speech talking about it. Her budget proposal here in the state has she wants to raise a sales tax, a candy tax. So all the guys throwing rocks, especially the Blue states, are the biggest taxes in the world. Text they don't like.
Speaker 1: As I said, the only things that get taxed in Massachusetts or things that move or things that don't move. Everything else is tax free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, you know it may be a little short at first in some departments. Okay, when you know you have a little weight on and you haven't exercised. He is, and he decided to go on a little bit of a diet and change your habit and go to the gym. You're a little sore after the gym and it eventually goes away. So you know, he's going to move things around. They can't just be prosperity and you know, sixty percent of the country and we just waste the other forty percent, you know what I mean. And you know, you know, you know, I look at guys they were there today because I looked at some of the stuff. And the guy got up from the UAW and he said, his whole life, all he saw was plants closed and decimation the towns.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Now it's not all going to come back, but if a percentage of it comes back, and we you know, it's a national security issue too, I mean pharmaceuticals, I mean we look, I mean, I guess we didn't learn anything from the COVID thing. As far as you know, we're not self sustaining in some departments. Yeah, you know, and it's a big problem. So you get to look at that also. You want to make at least the essentials here if we need it, some basic pharmaceuticals. Steal cars, you know, if we have to make tanks and whatever, and we keep an industrial base to a degree. We're not going to have what we had in the thirties, forties and fifties. That's not coming back, but we got to keep some basics, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, you're the first Trump supporter who seems to be pleased with what was done today.
Speaker 3: I'm not pleased, but I mean, you know, sometimes when you do something and you get beat up on it later on, you know, it comes out better in the wash. But you had to lead, you know what I mean. You know, Roosevelt took heat, you know, when he sent stuff over and he's gonna maybe think about things, and you know later on he was right. So there's a lot of instances. Reagan's a lot of heat for a lot of stuff he did early on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So this is the thing. You know, sometimes you gotta take your punches.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: How do you think this is gonna affect your How will this affect your business bill quickly?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know it could be done if people you know, I'm maybe doing as well in some departments that you know, it could be a tailor off. I'm fortunate there's a few new stores that have opened and stuff that a little better. But I'm hoping that maybe with gas and fuel coming down and hopefully by this time next year it's down a little bit. That also put everyone sent that gas goes down as a billion dollars in the economy, so that may offset some of this. So you know, you're gonna I'm just kind of playing it by ear and I'll see what happens. But I mean, I don't think we could keep going the way we were going. You know, we've gotta shake it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: It certainly got shaken up today, Bill, Thank you much, as always appreciate your call.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I have a great got a quick break coming up here in night's I got one line at six one seven, two five four ten thirty. Got one line at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Try to move people as fast as I can. I want to sample as many listeners as possible between now and midnight. And this is a huge story. This is a story which at a minimum, at a minimum, makes or breaks this administration. If it works, it will be to his credit, to his unending credit. If it works. If it fails, it will be the end of his effective presidency. Within a matter of months, so the stakes could not be higher. Your point of view is welcome coming back with night Side.
Speaker 6: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: The White House is just released, as you would expect the White House to do, a lot of statements from groups and politicians who are supporting this. Again, some of these groups groups that I really don't know, but just to pick a couple one, the National Cattleman's Beef Association is all for this. The senior vice president of Government Affairs said, for too long, America's family farmers and ranches have been mistreated by certain trading partners around the world. President Trump is taking action to address numerous trade barriers that prevent consumers overseas from enjoying high quality, wholesome American beef. Okay, so they're they're in favor. At least that group says they're in favor of it. Who else we got here? Steel Manufacturers Association President Philip Bell. President Trump is a champion of the domestic steel industry, so there's some support there. Alliance for American Manufacturing President Scott Paul. Today's trade action prioritizes domestic manufacturers and America's workers. These hard working men and women been unfair trade cut the ground from beneath their feet for decades. They deserve a fighting chance. So on and on and on. Then it gets into House Speaker Mike Johnson. As you would expect, President Trump is sending a clear message with Liberation Day, America will not be exploited by unfair trade practices anymore. These tariffs to a fair and reciprocal trade and level the playing field for American workers and innovators. The President understands the free trade only works when it's fair. Okay, So some significant support there, but again you would kind of expect that. Let's go next to Jay is in New Hampshire have followed closely. Next up will be Joe and early to go ahead.
Speaker 7: Jay, Good evening, Dan, thank you for taking the call.
Speaker 1: Right ahead, Thank you.
Speaker 7: No, I just actually that last call Bill was great.
Speaker 1: He made.
Speaker 7: Excellent points that I was going to touch on as well. So he stole my thunder a little bit. But from the big support of what the President's doing, I think that what he has in mind and he says it, but you know, for some reason people kind of don't hear it. But he's saying this is for national security. And you know, people, you know, I mean, I get it.
Speaker 1: You know money.
Speaker 7: Money is important, It's important to me.
Speaker 3: We all need it.
Speaker 7: But you know, we're so blinded by the almighty dollar. And I say that with the lower case a almighty. We forget that, you know, if we hit another national emergency of war and this is something that Bill said that, you know, we're susceptible. I mean, we're so vulnerable. We have no ways, no means of production here in this country for a lot of things right now and still and this is after what we supposedly learned from COVID, but we didn't. You can hear it. You can hear people, you can hear it. You can hear people in the negativity about this. You know, they're just they're just concerned about the dollars and cents of this, but you know, they're still not seeing the big picture in my mind, you know, they did not really consider in the long term health of the nation along with their own personal financial situation. You know, it's going to be a little bit of a balance there.
Speaker 1: So how concerned are you with the reaction of the stock market tonight? And what I think is going to be the reaction of the stock market tomorrow. I mean there's everyone gets affected by that because either they are someone who has an IRA or someone who has got a small stock portfolio, or maybe the the pension for your union is invested in the stock wort.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, the stock market goes up, the stark market goes down. You can't live and die by the stock market every day. You know, there's gonna there's gonna be They're gonna be rises and falls.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Again, short term pain for long term gain. That's that's really that's a message.
Speaker 2: Yet.
Speaker 7: But I think as Americans, we have to be honest with you. I think it's a very sad situation. I think this country and it's people, even amongst conservatives, just very very weak now. I mean we're we're a d D to the max. I mean, we can't handle any any kind of stuff for a sacrifice. I mean of a bid. We have to fight a serious war again, and I'm talking like on a on a large scale like like we used to, and that could happen. I mean there's a lot going on. I mean this country is just not ready. And you can hear, you can hear it.
Speaker 3: You can hear it tonight.
Speaker 7: You can see it in the negativity. I mean, I find it's it's a little bit discourage him. But by the grace of God, we got a strong president for once, and I think that's a shock to the system.
Speaker 3: I think, I think our.
Speaker 7: People are not used to strong leadership anymore. They can't even recognize it for what it is and they don't appreciate it. And that's what he's doing. You know, how it's going to turn out, I don't know, but you know what, you know, something has to be done because that this country is on the ropes, even with with President Trump's election. I mean, he's making some emergency moves. You know, it's a lot a lot of it's just temporary bandits. He's doing what he's what he can, you know.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, but you got you got it all in by the way of just looking here, some of the Asian stock market has has dumped overnight, so I suspect it's going to be a rough day in the stock market tomorrow. And look, he follows the stock market like anyone. So we'll say, you know, as I say, I think this is a moment in time where if this works, and the long run for him is like six months to a year, because if it doesn't work, within a year, his numbers will be in the tank and the Republican Party will have a really rough mid term election in twenty twenty six, and at that point, you know, the Democrats will be poised to take the White House back in twenty twenty eight because we have a very short attention span in America and he's I think expects we're going to have a longer attention span. And I don't think attention span is going to work on this one. I think America is going to want to look at some results pretty quickly, so we'll see. I don't disagree with what you said, by the way, I think there's a lot of wisdom in what you had to say.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Dan, appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Please keep calling the show. I need points of view. We've had some excellent callers tonight, so I want to thank everyone, including Jay in New Hampshire. Thanks Jake. We're gonna take a quick break. We have a newscast coming up. We'll keep you posted throughout the night. The only line that is open is the one that Jay Jeff just left, which is six one seven back on night Side after this.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep rolling here, gonna go next to who we got next up here? I want to be as fair as I can ever. Ready, Joe is in Arlington. Joe, you are next to our nightside. Appreciate your patience. Go right ahead, Joe.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, Dan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm an old international economist, so for me, this is kind of an interesting sperm and to look at here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love to get your perspective. Go ight ahead. When you say an old international economist, does that mean that this was the business you were in or is this something that you have dabbled in as an outdation.
Speaker 5: No, No, I've got to you know, a top tier graduate degree from an international economics and finance and I worked at the Federal Reserve for years, and.
Speaker 1: Let's have it. Go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So there's basically just three or four points I wanted to make and then I'll hang up. One is I think, you know, with Mexico and China, I actually agree with what he's doing, but for not for economic reasons. I mean, any any international economists will tell you that you're as you've heard that, you know this is suboptimal and it's going to you know, screw up prices and it's going to be bad for the economy. But from a political point of view, I mean, you've got an immigration illegual immigration problem and a Fentanyel problem with Mexico, and with China. You've got the fact that you know, the the Chinese to clear economic war on US two decades ago, and it's about time they're finally waking up to that fact. I have to give Trunk credit for really, you know, smashing the maut over the Americans head and saying, you know you're going to play harder.
Speaker 2: Ball with China.
Speaker 5: So I agree with him on that. And also you getting a lot of fentanyl from China. Apparently they make all them raw materials.
Speaker 7: For fanastyes from Mexico.
Speaker 5: So so slapping or using tariffs as a weapon against those two countries for separate political reasons, not for economics, but for political reasons, to help with the immigration issue, to help with the Fennel issue, I'm all for, and also to help in China, particularly to open up their economy, to force them to open up their economy, to the American expert, So I completely agree with him on that, but not for economics. I don't know what he's doing with Canada. I mean, Canada is not a problem like you know with US, really, I mean, so to me, that's just bizarre. I think it's just a personal animosity he had with Trudeau there for a while.
Speaker 1: But I will tell you this that the amount of people who are coming across the border in recent months, I believe from Canada or is that number has actually been greater than Mexico. I saw a statistic on that today, So it could be really he feels that that that he needs to get the border tightened up in more cooperation with Canada. I'm just speculating there, but I think I saw that today that people have figured out and maybe even drug importers have figured out that it's easier to breach the Canadian US border now than it is to breach the Mexican border. Just don't want to throw that.
Speaker 5: Out there, Okay, Yeah, I mean, given you know, I'm half Canadians, I find that I'm skeptical of that. But I who knows, maybe you know, maybe that's maybe there's some truth to that, and in fact, they've tied up on Mexico so much. You know, they're diverting all this stuffing to Canada. It's still, i mean still kind of difficult to believe, and especially with Canada. I mean, we're really interdependent with Canada. That's going to really screw up the auto industry what he's doing with the Canadian the Canadian market there.
Speaker 2: So that would be the third.
Speaker 5: The fourth one is you know why I kind of agree half of That's the problem I always have with Trump is that, even though I've never really voted for I'm not a big fan of him from a personal point of view, I've always had the sense that half of his policies are actually pretty good. And it's kind of like, my gosh, if you could just you know, kind of find tune in a bit, because you know what, the Europeans, Yeah, they play hardball with us on trade. They've got all those value added you know, obstructions and things like that. So I can see, you know, you know, doing some tariff stuff with them, but I would say, do it select more selectively. Do what he's doing right now with Mexico in China to force them to you know, straighten things out on the fentanyl and on the immigration issue. And then for the rest of the countries.
Speaker 2: We go through.
Speaker 5: There's a list of these fifteen countries they call them the dirty fifteen that we have terrible trade deficits with. Go through each one of those countries and basically figure out, you know, which goods you want to slap heavy tarifs on and which ones you don't, and be more careful about more selective, I think would be the rational thing to do. We difficult to do it.
Speaker 1: We have a trade with a trade in a few weeks, you know, we have a trade in balance with the European Union of about a quarter of a billion dollars. We have a trade in balance with China about two hundred and ninety two billion, a trade in balance with Vietnam one hundred and twenty three billion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you can go through each of those fifteen, it's like they call them the dirty fifteen. Go through each one of those, figure out where the problem is, and basically play hardball with each one of them individually as you want to. And also the other issue is, you know a lot of these these things he's snapping tariff's on, We're not going to be able to make those goods as substitute goods very very quickly. I mean, so god knows what the industry is here are going to do if they don't have these. I mean, it's really going to disrupt a supply training credibly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the example.
Speaker 5: Already with the industry, So I mean, it's it's an incredible experiment.
Speaker 1: You know, I know that Joe give me a couple of examples of the things that we do not manufacture that he slapped tariffs on.
Speaker 4: Well, I.
Speaker 5: Nothing off the top of my head, but I know I'm hearing that. You know that I understand that the chips.
Speaker 1: Right now, he wants to bring computer chips back to the country. I mean, there was a point in time where we allowed the computer chips and actually encourage them to leave the country. There was a piece of legislation passed by Congress and signed by Clinton in nineteen ninety six, and it was bipartisan by the way, that chased a lot of computer chip companies out of believe it or not, Puerto Rico and sent them over to Taiwan. Why that was done Legislative new Gimbridge and Joe Kennedy, Republican and Democrat were leaders on that, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Joe, I love you.
Speaker 5: I mean this is again an issue where he's right, I think. I mean, I'm all for bring the computer ships home because also i think like ninety percent of them being manufactured in Taiwan, which is a very vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Area, very vulnerable. Right if China moves in, what do we do about computer ships?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but I'm just hearing that. You know this, I mean, this is the international supply chain. I mean, it's so complicated. You've get all these you know, millions of different pieces and products coming in and out, and a lot of them area in industries are just not set up to like all of a sudden, you know, you know, substitutes for that quickly in an economic way. So, I mean it's going to be quite an experience to see what happens in the next year or two here.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's certainly going to be I think what we'll define his second term in you know, perhaps define both of his terms in office. Got to run. Joe, thank you much. I don't know if you've called me before, but I hope you become a more regular caller.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've called you before I because this is about my third or fourth call always on the economic political stuff.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I really do. Thank you much appreciate it. Next up is Jim. Jim you are you're you're at bat, Jim, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Damn, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: How are you. I'm doing great. Love to know what you think on this.
Speaker 6: I'm glad to hear it. Well, I'm glad you picked up on the first time caller thing. I'm not a first time caller. My second thing is I I think maybe obviously a lot is being done with regard to tariffs, but I sense very strongly that that there's a lot going on with this administration in terms of god knows what else defense, intelligence, finance in addition to the tariffs, and maybe the tariffs are just like a big I don't know, okay, as far as as far as like Warren Buffett said that tariffs are an act of war. As far as I could tell, it would just be like a defensive act to defend ourselves against these cheap products that are being made available to us, and US sending all of our our sort of our capital out of the out of our country. And then the third thing that I was gonna say, let me look at my notes here. Well, I think what's going on with Canada. Here's what I think happens. And I don't know for sure. This is just something i've kind of.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear. You don't have to categorize.
Speaker 6: I think, Well, I think what happens is I think the precursors come into Mexico and then come into the United States through Mexico, and then the product is blended here and distributed and sold here, and then I think the money is laundered in Canada before it goes back again.
Speaker 1: That's a little off where we are tonight. Uh, And I don't I don't know. You said it's speculation. I know that the that the product comes in a fedel, It comes in from China, manufactured in Mexico. Whether or not now they're bringing in over the border in Canada, I don't know. I simply read something the other day that said that surprisingly there are more people coming across the border now from Canada than they are coming across the border.
Speaker 6: From what happens with a lot of chemicals is they come in just before they become hasmat because nobody wants to pay for transportation of has mats. Then when they get near to where they wanted to become a has mat, they mix them and turn them into a has mat. So that's just something I've observed, and I know there's a lot of monkey business going on up in Canada with money. So anyway, taking this ball, thanks all.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you, you appreciate it. Let me get one more in here before the break. I'm trying to move people a little bit more quickly. Mike is in Beverley. Mike, you're next one. Nice. I go ahead.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 4: Can you hand me?
Speaker 1: I can hear you find Mike? What you're taking? What's been going on today?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Greatnald Dan. What was Trump's when he left off was what was his inflation rate? His inflation was one point twelve percent. He did the same thing and at first administration. Okay, the Canada thing, we don't need Canada products. That's the part of Canada and the fatanas situation, Joe, that's the Canada situation. That was that as oh and the other Pine is speaking Josh's I don't know, I don't want to read talk about something else. But the money come from the tariff is gonna bring the capital gains tax and the employee payroll attacks down. They're gonna use that money from the tariff, so they guess it's gonna bring that taxes down.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see, let's see if it works. Let's see what happens. Again, it's we could, you know, we could speculate as to what might happen. I just think when you look at what the stock market is going to do tomorrow morning, obviously business doesn't like it.
Speaker 4: Let's can't watch the stock market, Dan, you can't watch it, and they're gonna work that way, Dan, you're gonna watch the stock market's not gonna work.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Well, thanks very much gonna clarifying that for me because I've never for I know, you know, I know nothing about the stock market. I'm sure you're more heavily invested in the market and have a better understanding of it than I do. So I appreciate your insight on that one, but we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: Some I've had a whole lesson of the town numbers that East Country charge us. So you're okay, other county choge more money. Like the alcohol, there was there was some type of hard liquor. I can't want to call them. They charge us two hundred percent in town. You're okay with that?
Speaker 1: Well, I generally am a I am a free market type.
Speaker 4: Guy, meaning if I yeah, but that's what happens, Dan, let.
Speaker 1: Me if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to be able to finish my thought, Mike, Okay, And that is that if Canada, let's say, is importing a liquor into America uh and or or we're importing a liquor into Canada uh and the tariff, let's say, in either direction, is two hund that's going to make that product pretty darn expensive when you when it gets to the retail shelf.
Speaker 4: You you're with me on that, right, Yeah, but that's what that charges on us, Dan.
Speaker 1: Right. So what I'm saying is if when it gets to the shelf in Canada, instead of let's say being oh, let's say fifty dollars a bottle, it's one hundred and fifty dollars a bottle because there's a two hundred percent tariff on it. If the Canadian consumers still are willing to buy the product, that doesn't hurt us, and it doesn't hurt the manufacturer. But if all of a sudden, people in Canada really saying it's too much money, they're going to stop buying the product, and then the American manufacturer is going to say, well, I'm not going to be able to take to sell my product in Canada. So they were going to be What I'm trying to say is there's going to be some real world implications here for any country, both the country that is producing and exporting the product and the country that's importing the product. So on the one hand, if the teriffs become overburdensome, Canada will be penalizing their population because they will have fewer products from which to choose. America will be hurt because the people here will at some point say we got to cut back our production because we no longer have a market in Canada. So you know, there's a yang and a yang to it, Mike, and we're gonna have to see how it plays out.
Speaker 4: I get it. I'm just trying to say. There was a list Trump put out today that all the reporters going on. All the numbers. I just don't remember all the numbers off the top of my head, but some of the numbers are like one country. China does us like astronomic comeout of numbers. It's like crazy, you know the task we get charge from other countries on things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can give you what I can give you one right now. Just you can keep this in your mind. Okay, Uh, Korea. Our new tariff on Korea is going to be twenty six percent on Vietnam, it's going to be forty six percent on Japan, twenty four percent on China, thirty four percent. We'll see, we'll see how this plays out. This is this is We're not even through a twenty four hour period. Mike. I appreciate your effort. You're a Trump guy, and I'm sure that you are very comfortable with what he's doing. And I'm gonna have you hopefully check it with me maybe a week or two from now, and see how things are going in your life. This will either make or break his presidency, is what I'm trying to say to you, and I think you would agreed.
Speaker 4: Bring bring back American jobs, bring back American jobs and playing American workers.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a good slogan. Let's see if it works. Thanks, Mike, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thanks, good night.
Speaker 1: I have a good one. We'll take a very quick break, coming right back on night side.
Speaker 6: If you're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Let's pick it up here, people. Let me go next to Matthew and Pembroke. Matthew, you are next on Nightside. Go ahead, Matthew.
Speaker 8: Hey Dan, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: I think I'm doing okay. I think we're learning a lot tonight. I think every perspective has brought something to the table. What's yours?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I didn't vote this time around. I didn't really care for either the you know who was running. But is I think if he takes his tariff money and puts it all of it towards the deficit, it would be a good thing. If you give all his friends and cuts taxes, I think it's an awful thing, and he should be out of the presidency because it really has to go to the next generations.
Speaker 3: To pay off that debt.
Speaker 8: In regards yeah, yeah, so in regards to the stock market, you know, if you have five years, if you're over fifty five getting ready to retire, your whole strategy shouldn't be aggressive, and then you wouldn't be hit with all this highs and lows of the stock market going up six hundred points. But if you're an individual stock by you you buy at the low or you just hold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's my thoughts there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're right on that. I mean, if you're young and you have and you have some stocks you like, I think everything takes a hit tomorrow. I think it's one of those days where.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you're younger, you take more risk. You know, you get older, you don't have to worry so much. But the other thing is, if we don't stop making on medications and we go to war, they've already won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's the deal. The next war is not going to be a traditional land war. I mean, yeah, unfortunately, I think they'll they'll bring out the big guns and it will be over for better or worse too quickly. And that's that's awesome. The risk we run.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, if they're making other countries are making on medications and they don't ship them, that's that's a big, big problem. We should be making things like that in our own kind of Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Agree with you totally. No, I totally agree with you, even if for non war time purposes. No, but what I'm saying is that if we ever get into a big war, it's going to be the last war. Okay, there's just too many countries that do have nukes or suitcase nukes. You know, we're I do believe we have to be very careful in the next you know, ten or fifteen years to make sure that we do not open up a kid of worms. The World War two and the World War One, trench fighting and ground troops, that's over, that's so last century. Unfortunately, you know this, this would be very as he would say that this would be big and in a big one. I don't think there's any winners in my opinion.
Speaker 8: No, thanks for taking my called in.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you much, Matthew. As always, we'll talk again. Great call, very very sixteen, Thank you, good night. Okay for THO, I'm not going to short change anyone. I'll tell you the only lines we have opened right now are six one seven. So if you call then those two lines we can get you in. And in the meantime, I got Bob and Waymouth, Tina and WCA will leave us off, John and Foxborough. Let's keep rolling here. We are talking about Trump's tariffs as a matter of fact, let me end this hour because I don't want to short change anyone, anyone at all. This is the President today as he addressed the nation from the from the Rose Guard, and let's let me get one here. Uh, here's one on China, Rob Real quickly cut twenty three.
Speaker 9: I have great respect for President she of China, great respect for China. But they were taking tremendous advantage of them of US, and and I commend them for that. I say, hey, if you can get away with it, that's okay. But you know, they understand exactly what's happening, and they probably most of them are saying it's about time they did something. But and they're gonna fight, and they're gonna fight.
Speaker 1: For everyone's gonna fight. You know.
Speaker 9: It's like I say to the leaders, look, you got to take care of your country, but we have to start taking care of our country now. We can't do what we've been doing for the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: That was Donald Trump today. You can react give us a call right after the news