Speaker 1: This is author Dick Frank, author of More Than a Warrior, and you're listening to Doctor Sky Experience on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Doctor Skuy Experience heard proudly and of course all over the nation, all over the world, and even out into the cosmos on Talk Radio seventy seven w ABC. We like to call it the crown Jewel of radio, the Iconic seventy seven and Talk Radio WABC. As we continue to talk about these great subject matters, normally the subjects of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather. Obviously, folks with my own mill military service, we talked proudly about American exceptionalism and the story of truth justice in the American way. And today, without exception, a very special guest and author. In just a moment, we'll be introducing Dick Frank, an author of a book called More Than a Warrior, a most fascinating story and I think many out there will certainly appreciate. But before we introduce our special guests, I'd like to read a little bit from the back cover of his book, More Than a Warrior, And our producer today is doctor d We appreciate his talents putting all this together so you can hear the Doctor Sky experience split it under top secret Green Beret Team leader Sergeant Howard up Church appeared in a Communist uniform in front of his hooch at Triple C the CIA is super serious and secret Macvisong Special Operations Group camp outside Contum City, South Vietnam. He helped design the logo that is very famous for that special group mac v SAG. Under the auspices of that shield, a small select group of men fought for the CIA in Southeast Asia Agency for the Agency, but it was never just a Vietnam war is. Their black operations spilled over into half of a dozen other countries near and farm extraordinary jungle fighters and spies. Their suicidal missions required them to do things that no humans should have to do to other humans. One man, Sergeant Upchurch, broke away for two years led his own army Montagnard Warriors, irrespective of the rest of the world's plans, being forced and coaxed back into the CIA bowl. With that, let's introduce our special guests, Dick Frank, who knew this man is the backstory, of course for Marlon Brando, who appears in the movie the epic Francis Bord Coppola's Apocalypse. Now, well, good afternoon, Deck, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 1: Nice to me here, doctor Ska.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate your time. So let's start from the beginning. How did you get to meet this sergeant and tell us this reason that you wrote this four hundred and some page book, because obviously it seems like about time Americans knew what that Special Operations Group did in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: Well, there, you're right there. Well, when my wife died, Sally, in nineteen eighty one, I went to U to Linguish CDB, Texas, that's in them. I'm in Texas, that's a small dining mining dialing mining island. And I met Howard Upchurch. He was retired a few years from SAD Special Operations Group, and h he was on the CDB ports with hundreds of people around him and telling his war stories, And I said, who the heck you that guy? It took me two hours, took so many people around him listening to him, and I was hooked in three minutes. I would like the rest of him, I mean in Howard was kept on going about all his messadventures around the world. You know, and he was mainly he was talking about his Mountayard Warriors. He loved his Mountain North Warriors. Third, about fifteen year old, I'm part of like American Indians. But I was shocked, you know, fifteen years old in the that's where his team there's about two or three Americans. When I say Americans, I'm talking about FOG Special Operation Group that they're all from the CIA anyway, Paris, that we could not do anything and in this triple panel beach Jungle without these Mountain Yard Warriors. And I could go on and on, but he he had had his dashinating. Why did I write the book? Because I knew that his story shouldn't be I mean, stories shouldn't be told around the world. I was fascinated. If it's the most incredible thing I've seen anybody, right, And he was a humorous and very very serious and he had a whole and fascinated, enthralled as I call it.
Speaker 2: Well, Dick, this is a fascinating interview that we're going to have here today on the Doctor Sky Experience talking about American exceptionalism and some of the things right or wrong that happened during the Vietnam War. And of course everybody out there will of course formulate their opinion on all the things that we're saying here. But I want to go back in time here to describe a little bit about mac Visog Military Assistance Command. He did covert and unconventional warfare. They operated, as you know, in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia starting January fourth and twenty fourth, I should say, nineteen sixty fourth through nineteen seventy two. Psychological warfare was also part.
Speaker 1: Of what they did.
Speaker 2: And now today they've been replaced by something called Jaysok Joint Special Operations Command after the Saturanian hostage rescue mission that happened many many years ago. As you know, General WILLIAMS. Warland, he really had no authority outside of South Vietnam. So what I want to ask you is this is a very select group. So you're talking here about this gentleman, we're talking about Howard up Church, Sergeant Howard up Church. Did he tell you how we got involved in this organization? I mean, they have to pick these people. I'm sure you know they're just not anybody or any regular soldier. They're kind of special.
Speaker 1: Talk about how they picked these people okay, Well, you know, he was a sixteen year old marine in Korea. Then he went into the regular army. And in the regular army, well he was a you know, I'm talking about fifty years ago, twenty some years ago in h he I'm trying to think. Anyway, he had the Soldier of the Year award in the once seventy third don't quote me on that, but anyway, he he was an exceptional soldier, you know, for eighteen thousand people or whatever that was on the base. He was number one, you know with this awards. And uh So, anyway, saw the CIA. It's the CIA organization. They they they picked him out and the well, I asked Howard by myself. He said, well, you know, Nick, they're looking for people like me. I said, what do you mean like you? Howard? He said, he said, I hate to talk about now, but Howard was a was a incredibly god it's uh killer, I can put it just kindly. And he's also very like a fight you know, uh for I'm not getting it very well, but anyway, he would driven. Anyway, he was what the CIA was looking for. It's like if you could read the book and you could, I could tell you explain it everything.
Speaker 2: He was, well, I want people, Dick to read the book, and I want to remind people before we continue that your website is more than a warrior dot com. And this is fascinating today as we talk here on the Doctor Sky experience, Chick. Before we go further with the Colonel and of course the story of the Master Sergeant and Sergeant Howard Upchurch, I want to ask you talk about your military career too, so we can find out a little bit more about you.
Speaker 1: Who's Dick. That's that's that's that's funny too, because I told you Howard that, you know, I just got out of in the I mean when I met him, you know, in nineteen eighty one and he's retired. And I said, Howard, I don't like to talk about my experiences. You know, I was a sailors right during the Korean War. And I said, I don't like to talk about my experience, but but I will tell you, Howard, I said, I bought the Battle of the River Era, then the war bikinis in the Mediterranean, my low my homeport was Tom's, France, where the Hollywood stars go and everything. You know, Howard it har I said, that's a good duty day.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing. But when you meet this man, I mean, this is interesting. I can I ask you when you're talking about study butt Texas, where is that on the map? So people understand you kind of want to I want to use the word. And I hope you're not offended. You became more of like a recluse, sadly after your loving wife had passed away. But is this location study but in Texas?
Speaker 1: I don't call I'm gray jarious and I'm not a recluse. You know I was a dropout. You know it's it's a big the National Park Texas on the Rio Grand River in southwest Texas. In this seedy but or two language, there's there's animus. I mean there's they're really supposed to get a few miles apart. It's a it's a gorgeous, beautiful mountain desert country if you like mountain desert. I mean it's all. When I was there in nineteen fifty four after the Navy, there was only about seven people there. Now it's full of still dropouts. I call it this h of this anyway, it's full of a draffouts and the skitties and everything, But at least it was when I was there, you know, in so it's very close to Big Beg National Park. Yes, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: But Dick, as we're doing this interview today on the Notor Sky Experience heard probably here on talk radio seventy seven w ABC, as we like to say, Dick, we broadcast out of New York, around the nation, around the world, and I'm sure even out into the cosmos. Dick, you're what ninety two years young? Am I correct on that? What's the secret to being ninety two years young?
Speaker 1: Tell us? Oh, I'll tell you it's it's organic carrocust and white Russians. I'm joking. I know, No, I was. I was always. I was always a help stuff because I was a concentration camp, Dick. And when I was very young, you know, so I always well, you know, I always I got this. I ended up eating the organic vegetables and in all that kind of stuff. My wife was spurious at me when I first met her. He didn't eat white fries or nothing. But finally he should. Finally he realized, you know that I was right, and he sa. He died at forty six with the brain tumor, but he was beautiful still more beautiful, insight and everything, but he became a health stuff like me. Now I'm toiled off my table all that stuff. I just my whole My whole problem is I ate too much ice cream and talk to chip cooking. So there you go.
Speaker 2: You keep eating ice cream, bitch, because let me tell yourself that I hope I make it to ninety two years. And the story going about to here is he yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't say I do a little bit of yoga exercises every morning, because I said, well, when I was very young, I said, what can I keep doing? Because most people, you know, they might stole them else up and everything, and then they let themself go when they gets the old age. I always say, you can't let gravities get you. So I do a little yoga exercise every morning, and then I pray to God for Sally my prayer, and then then I and then I you know, I'm saying for my book. You know, then I act me what I do. I'm working on my cover letters all the time and send it off if like that's.
Speaker 2: What I just well, Dick, your book is over four hundred pages long, and it goes through so many different audio cancent interviews that you did. You put over two hundred audio cassette tapes together. But now looks good to the meat of the story here, obviously we're talking about a man's sergeant, Howard up Church. Now we find out that there's this movie that comes out August fifteenth, nineteen seventy nine, and I'm sure everybody in the house and hopefully everybody listening to the sky experience as seen Francis word Gobela's epic movie of course, Apocalypse Now, in which we find out that this Colonel Kertz played by Marlon Brando, one of the most famous actors of all time. The movie, and I'm going back in my own notes here, was not considered to be very popular when it first came out. They actually had five dollars seats in Los Angeles when it first came out. It was exhibited and performed and displayed in three theaters at the time. But he comes from a novella, and I want you to talk about this the Heart of Darkness where they get Apocalypse Now from an eighteen ninety nine Joseph Conrad writes this epic novella. So what I'm trying to get from you? Is you believe very strongly because you write the whole book about Sergeant Howard Upchurch. How is he the role model for this particular colonel who is Marlon Brando? How did he come to tell you that that's an interesting story? Please please tell us I And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you asked me, because I was going to tell you that everything you never wanted to know about next front for the friend who's going to tell you anyway? So it so. In fact, I was on the internet just a while ago and I pulled up this is all about the populus now in Marlon brandw and in Colonel David Hackworth. Uh he diedn't know about sixteen years ago. I was watching him on TV and he he was so erroga. I said, God almighty, you know. And he was on those for a specialists for terrorism, you know, I think me anyway, So I called him up. I got a hold of him and uh and talked to him, you know, and he in fact, I got the fans, I got the email to the emails. He said, well, Dick, I asked him. I told him, I said, I have hoired up church. He's a role model for Apostous now and uh David Hackman said, I don't have my email right from in front of me, but basically he said, well, you know, Frances word Cope was contacting me, and he said, uh, he wanted me to be an advisor for a Poculus now, especially uh Marlon Brando in uh halfworth halfworth, he wrote, I try to write to any good when I'm trying to promote somebody, you know. But he was writing bad English and everything. But he's an author, so you you know, he's got some books up and and uh anyway, Hackworth Grot He's wrote and I'll tell you and everything he said. Uh, he said, uh, I told Frances work Cope. He said, I just got out of the service, and he said, all I want to do now is uh drag and lay of women. No, no, holy, he said, Actually he said drugs. I hate this sad now for the person he's kidding, he's he's dead and everything. I just pulled it up just for reference because I knew I was on talking to you. He said, all I wanted you is drugs and make the women. So he drove it down. Okay, well anyway, Oh, I forgot to tell you that the main thing. But he said, uh, he said, oh popples, Now I wasn't I just powered up Church said it was all of us. He said, he said, uh, resist for cope and just compiled it from a little bit from heart and darkness in the in the other veterans, you know. And I said, he said, if it wasn't just he said, it wasn't, uh just powered up Church. I said, uh, let me ask you something, David. I said, well, you know, was you and Sock Special Operation Group? He said no, I was, well, so he didn't know Howard. I talked to Howard over our kicking table for ten years. He said, these people don't know. It's so sacred and uh well he had no idea so all these ten years, but I said, Rell, Howard, I asked all these questions, and I'm very objective and I researched and everything. There's a lot of people to say this. He was a here so he was apo. I mean a Smarlow bread. Now I could sell, you know, but it was Howard, Wow, you know what I want to My book was full of explaining that I'm saying because I know people, because I know people want to.
Speaker 2: Know that, oh you've met, and I want people to read the book. But what I want to do just to refresh people's memories just in case they're not really fluent in the nineteen seventy nine epic Apocalypse Now movie. We're now going to hear the trailer from this particular movie because I remember Dick when I first thought, I was in Hackenstack, New Jersey, at what we call the Oratani Theater, which was downtown. If we have listeners of course from WABC on Radio seventy seven. I got into the see the movie and I was kind of shocked. But we're going to hear that right now to bring back the story of Apocalypse Now in the connection that you assert here in the movie and the book that is well documented that the role model for Marlon Brando, Captain Colonel Kurtz is obviously Sergeant Howard up Church.
Speaker 1: So here we go. You've heard of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz.
Speaker 3: Your mission is to terminate the Colonel's command.
Speaker 4: Jeminy, terminate its extreme prejudice.
Speaker 5: I love the spell of Black Palm in the morning.
Speaker 6: Very obviously he is gone, and say this is the Uh my only Frisia you will assesss Lee and a soldier.
Speaker 5: That you come out.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's amazing. But I want to get back to this particular story of about this gentleman that you've interviewed. He passed away in nineteen ninety nine, so you're probably one of the only people alive. That's the reason for your book that has all this documentation. So people need to look at these vignettes about what fifty two chapters in here of information about what it was like to be in mac VisAD and this particular man. But I got to ask you too, talk about where these Montagnard warriors were. Where was this happening. Was this in Cambodia? Was this in Laos? Because we weren't supposed to be other than in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: I guess correct that doth tunning because he was in Vietnam. It was in Laos, It was in Cambodia, all every place. Uh Howard Howard and General Westmoreon, which was a confidant of Howard, General Westmoreon Howard, that was his friend, General Westmoreland. Westmoreland got Howard. I was so many troubles you wouldn't believe anyway. But the Moneyard Warriors was in the uh basically they was in Thailand. And uh, I mean, like I say, how I couldn't Howard that I could not do anything without my Mountain Yard Warriors. But I mean when he was in h his base camp was in Cambo, I mean Vietnam, tomtoon Vietnam, and he could a moment's notice that c I could send him off to another mission around the world, like in Lebanon or or Turkey whatever. You know, it's not just Vietnam. That's try to tell the people that it's you know, power was that's published there. The most elite published it for CIA for many years.
Speaker 2: Yes, Wow, the story gets more interesting. But I go, well that I want you to share from the Annals of History again that has a lot to do with President Lyndon Johnson. And I'm reading here from your notes. Unlike the Congressional Medal of Honor winners like York and Murphy, Howard blew his Medal of Honor in a wild rant against President Lyndon Johnson in a hotel ballroom before he was to receive it in front of the nation. Talk about that, because this guy has the nerves of Steel. So tell us what happened there with President Johnson in your words, Oh, I remembered it perfectly.
Speaker 1: Most of the ninety percent of my stuff in my book. It's hours worse. I got to struct two hundred audio concept taste, and I just took it from Howard, you know, because I think I'm just an average writer and everything. I'm not best for nothing, you know. But anyway, I got the people interested because they're listening to Howard in the story. Howard said, I can't use vulgarity for you.
Speaker 2: But Howard said, give as SEBASTI can on the other side.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, Howard said, okay, I'll tell you something I didn't know. And he said, Dick, nobody nobody goes up to see the president for Congressional Medal of Honor. They always have to his buddies, so when he gets so drunk and everything, they can straighten them out to see the president. You know. He said that. He said, you know, I was so well, I was so teed off of the President of the United States. He said, I went at this ballroom the night before I was supposed to go to screw from the Nations to us from Lyndon Johnson and Lennon john Howard's from Texas for Alston, Texas, Lennon Johnson's from Texas right and Lennon Johnson with the secret sirstman walked over to this ballroom that they wanted to fall in next the night before and he said, uh, he said, uh uh starting up church. I'm I would just want to talk to a fellow Texans. And Howard's got spirit. Howard is a small guy five for day, you know, and blue eyes you ever see the incredible and intelligent blue eyes. But anyway, Howard's got up halfway up from the chart. His buddy grabbed a hold of it and he tall. He said, just Lendon and Johnson said, I'm a little and ragged and I have no fear. I know I'm not wanted, but I'm blah blah here, uh you know, f here. And that what happened. Ahead, let it content because uh oh, thank you, thank you up kirt, thank you sargeant. And he walked away. But he was afraid. I so they exposed all the misdeeds the CIA and everything. You know.
Speaker 2: Wow, So he was a man that could write. He was a man that was untamed. I mean, he just tell them matter who the hell it was, whether.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, say when uh General west Morlan got him out of so many troubles you won't believe.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about something else in the time we have here your book again. Just yet, these folks, you're just curious. Who are we listening to today and speaking with? Were speaking with author Dick Frank. He himself and maybe veteran spent an amazing amount of time with the gentleman whose name is Sergeant Howard up Church. Who is he in the top secret organization? On his mac d song he a team of military operators were in places that America said they weren't and shouldn't be and whatever they operated in Vietnam laus Cambodia starting in January January twenty fourth, nineteen sixty four, through nineteen seventy two, covert, unconventional warfare, psychological warfare. Dick has over two hundred audio kits. That interview is in his book entitled More Than a Warrior, with thirty one photos well documented. Why are we talking about this because, in our author's opinion, Dick Frank, this particular individual, Sergeant Howard Upchurch, is the role model for Francis torn Popola's movie Apocalypse Now, in which Colonel Kurtz is played by the famous actor Marlon Brando. That is just totally incredible. But now what we're going to hear is, let's talk a little bit about what this particular model and this particular individual as we talk about Marlon Brando Colonel Kurtz. Here's an audio clip from the movie describing Colonel Kurtz describing the horrors of war as he basically had his own little organization in an area that America wasn't supposed to be. So here we go.
Speaker 4: He said, what in the future can we do to vent such as this?
Speaker 2: That's what I told about the passenger scream.
Speaker 1: We got the rest ball in the day.
Speaker 2: That day's a ride of pride to read and write before he could become a presper of our glorious fate.
Speaker 5: It's the same day.
Speaker 4: They should clothe.
Speaker 1: All the factors that makes period.
Speaker 5: There is not one last thought a ride.
Speaker 1: In the world that goes a drop down ran about bag about blood, No, well, the path of the baby.
Speaker 2: I have a bad expert.
Speaker 4: If the generals back in the train could see what I saw, would they still want.
Speaker 5: Me to kill him more.
Speaker 4: Than ever, probably, And what would his people back home want if they ever learned just how far from them he'd really gone. He broke from them, and then he broke from himself. I'd never seen a man so broken up and ripped apart.
Speaker 3: I've seen the horrors horders that you've seen that you have no right to call me and murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that, but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible through words.
Speaker 6: To describe what is necessary to those.
Speaker 1: Who do not know.
Speaker 6: What horror means. Horror. Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.
Speaker 2: So, Dick, that's totally amazing. I mean the connection here without a doubt. I mean, you have no doubt that this is the man who is the person as far as the namesake of our Colonel Kurts Marlon Brandall in this epic apocalypse. Now tell us more about this. Your research is very deep.
Speaker 1: Okay, You're right, I have absolutely no doubt you know what I've seen a popas now maybe uh, I haven't seen it in the last sixteen twenty years, but uh, I was listening to it one time. This is after uh maybe fifteen twenty years ago, and all of a sudden they making fog. I said, what I forgot it somewhere front of the book and you know, and I didn't. I didn't. They have all this kind of bandbe music and everything. You can't listen to him, And all of a sudden they just in one sense, they just happen to mention dog. I said, there it is. There's dog, you know, and that at that time, you know, nobody knew what dog is. And really really is that time? You know, and they still don't, you know? They uh anyway, and I, uh, oh, yeah, there's then there's another thing and I and I was listening to listened to the Howard, I mean more than more than I'm anyway, populus now, he said, Uh, I wasn't listen to a friend of mine. He wanted to listen to it, uh because of Howard. Anyway, we just listened to Populace now and towards the end, he said, And then the Colonel Kurt uh Warna, Colonel Kurt went from those one seventy third and to the I mean went from uh. He said, he went to the one seventy third, you know, And I said, I talked to my friend. I said, there it is. That's what Howard was in the one seventy third. He said he couldn't go to him. How just was real was the advisor to one seventy third for a mission. You know a bunch of times we'll do go ahead.
Speaker 2: Now, what I want to say is this is interesting to talk about how secret these operations were and how orders like this for this secrecy. Obviously, when our friend here is we're talking here, our sergeant Howard Upshurtch gets his audience to receive a medal from President Lyndon Johnson. Here's a story, and I'm going to quote from your book. They just wanted me to keep my mouth shut about the secret mission I was on. End quote, Howard said that one of our choppers with super secret equipment was down in law so the place we're not supposed to be. I was above them in my own shopper, calling for help. And he says, that's my brothers down there waving and yelling at me. I told the fighter jets closing in on the enemy soldiers. Instead, the pilots destroyed the crippled chopper and my men for a few pieces of highly classified electronic gear. An order like that only comes from the president themselves end quote. So whatever was going on there, I mean, that's kind of a disgrace. But we're talking both sides of the Vietnam War here. I mean, we salute all those patriots that fought in the war and those that died. But from the highest levels of the government, it's damn about time that we hear some of the stories, which I'm sure most people knew day, but now your book helps make the connection. Obviously, you need to have these secret military players out there, but at what costs do we have to sacrifice them in order to sacrifice and save missions. That's beyond my pay grade?
Speaker 1: What say you?
Speaker 2: Is we almost close our interview today, Dick. It's a great book. People should get it. More than a Warrior. You can learn more by going to his website more than a Warrior dot com. And he's available, Uh, if you want to send him an email, I'm sure, Dix. This is the email that I'm going to put out there. Sog s o. G Nam like Sog Vietnam. I'm just sog Nam at Yahoo dot com. If you get the closing word here, your book is informative. It's great research on somebody that has, of course been involved in some America's most secret and tantalizing missions. Mac Vsog and the story of Sergeant Howard up Church. We'll say you as we close out today.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to tell you coming. I never stopped because I owed it to Howard. I told him I was going to get his book out someday. And I'm only ninety two, so I'm in pretty damn good health. And it's the obligation on my part, Howard. You know, one time I told Howard, I said, I can't do this, Dick. I mean a Howard. It's just too big. He's a dick. You don't know it. But someday you've finished my book. And so I've finished it and I'm making a fortune off of it on a royalty that I got. And it's two years out there. I made one hundred and fifty dollars so far.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's amazing. That's amazing royalties, Dick. And that's why we're doing this interview to expose the great work that you do and your service in the military, but equally important the story of Howard Upchurch a top I've every organization involved in the CIA, behind the CIA and around the CIA. More little Warrior Dick, I appreciate it. As we conclude this edition, stay on the line with us as we go to the bottom of the hour of the heartbreak here. But I want to mention to all of our friends here in Arizona from the WABC audience, if you're out here in Arizona. Two great sponsors of what.
Speaker 1: We do here on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah It's Chinese Restaurant in Gilbert, Arizova, and the two locations of Raphael's Pizza there in New York. Genuine pizza. That is New York genuine pizza. Love the West, really, so you get New York genuine pizza from Raphael's and all the good people are many thanks to our producer, Doctor Dean, who handles the controls to make sure that everybody can hear this particular interview and all of them on the Doctor Guy Experience. Once again, proud to be here on Talk radio seventy seven WABC, the crown jewel of radio. The iconic sody Southern talk radio beaming out of New York, around the nation, and around the world.
Speaker 1: Thank you Dick.
Speaker 2: Frank for a great book and a great story. Mold Than a Warrior. Get your copy today, folks by going through more than a Warrior dot Com. Thank you Dick Frank.