Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Kf I Am six forty live everywhere, the iHeartRadio app Saturdays with Tiffany Hobbs here with You until seven, And we just had a great conversation with Frank William Miller Junior. Make sure you go to the iHeartRadio app and go to select special features. Is it special features, Kayla feature, it's a segment feature, it's special and it's a feature. It's a featured segment. There you go and you can hear this entire show and that specific conversation, which was really informative, very eye opening about what can happen years later if you create a piece of art, a piece of merchandise that someone doesn't like, and if that someone's in control of a venue that you want to patronize, you might find yourself, like Frank did as banned for life years later after you create and maybe sell that merchandise. So listen to that interview. It was really really good. Now, something that is not really good is the fact that we were all added to a group chat that we never intended on being a part of. Not talking about your aunt's group chat about what they're making for dinner or your friends group chat about something going on with her kids. No, no, no, this is a lot less innocuous and has a lot larger ramifications. This group chat happens to deal with Donald Trump's executive cabinet and those members who all participate in the military dealings, the plannings of air strikes, and specifically, this air strike was to hit Yemen, and it did. We saw it in the news about two weeks ago. There was an air strike that hit Yemen in search of the hoothy rebels. This group chat was the planning of that air strike and it features Trump's national security team. Vice President JD. Vance was in that group chat. Defense Secretary Pete Hegsith was in that group chat. Mike Waltz, the National Security Advisor, was in that group chat. CIA Director John Radcliffe found himself in the group chat. The Director of National Intelligence Tolci Gabbert, was also in this text thread, and Special Envoy Steve Whitcoff was included as well. The Treasury Secretary Scott b Likely was there as well. In addition to White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, there were others as well featured on this or in this group thread, this text thread that discussed plans to hit Yemen in an airstrike earlier this month. Now, while that may not necessarily be unusual, because the National security team does communicate, and they communicate outside the provance of all of US commoners and civilians who have no dealings with what they're doing, what is uncommon. What was unusual and very atypical, is that we found out about this text thread, and we wouldn't have found out about it, likely without the help of one person who was in fact added to the group thread. Now, that group thread involved all those people and the quote accidental edition of The Atlantic Magazine's editor in chief, Jeffrey Goldberg. Jeffrey Goldberg, again from The Atlantic Magazine, their editor in chief, was put in the group chat. He wasn't supposed to be there. Those eighteen senior administration officials from Trump's cabinet, they were. Jeffrey Goldberg was not supposed to be in the text, but he was. And the blowback for that has been immense. For the last week, it's been the biggest story all around the world. Arguably everyone is discussing it, and the security cautions and concerns about classified and sensitive information, and whether or not these sorts of things happen more often than we know now. President Donald Trump last Tuesday downplayed that texting. He said, there's it was only a glitch. It was the only glitch in two months. He said, it's not a serious glitch, and he continued to express his support for National Security Advisor Mike Waltz. Mike Waltz seems to be the one who created the group text to discuss this air strike on Yemen, and someone in that thread, or maybe a lowly intern who knows, added Jeffrey Goldberg to the list of people included in the conversation. They didn't just use the text app that's on your phone. They used a special app called Signal. And the Signal app is discussing this sensitive information and has opened up conversation about whether or not it is secure and should be used to discuss such a thing. So I am going to let you hear a security professional, a cybersecurity professional, describe the Signal app and whether or not we have anything to be concerned about when it comes to national security information, privacy and sensitive and classified information that is shared and whether or not this sort of thing will make it to the pub a public and cause big issues for our government.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is security expert Chris Pearson, founder and CEO of Black Cloak.
Speaker 2: Chris, thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: Signal is an encrypted app. It's like WhatsApp, but probably stronger. It means it's scrambling the information from end to end. The government did tell Americans to use this when China was able to get into our phone systems. So why is it not secure enough for our government officials to be having sensitive, top secret, classified conversations.
Speaker 4: Well, there are a few issues here, Katie. First of all, is going to be in terms of just normal text messages. A text message that you send between yourself and your parents, your brothers, your friends, that is pretty much a kin to sending a postcard. Writing the information on a postcard that everyone can see in the mail not going to be secure if you have to transmit that information to family member, social security number, other information there and you want to use in cryptocommunication. Signal is going to be an application of a choice, but it is a consumer based application. The real issue here is that for sensitive or classified information that is being used by and transmitted by the government. That number one, the devices must be protected, and number two, the application and the transmission.
Speaker 1: Of the data must be protected.
Speaker 5: Just simply using an encrypted app that is only consumer grade on a personal device is actually going to open up the United States and others right to foreigns fine hacking, and other risks. It is not insufficient to go ahead and protect classified or even sensitive communication.
Speaker 2: Uh Oh, that don't sound good at all, does it. That does not sound good. You heard it right there from that cybersecurity professional. It will, if continue to be used, open up the United States military to possible infiltration, and not even possible infiltration, likely infiltration hacking. That information will be accessed and who knows what it could be used to do. We'll talk more about the signal app Raul is a user of signal and he'll tell us what he has used signal for, and then we'll take a look at some history in our deeper dive segment about other examples of intelligence leaks in US history, as well as another story that hasn't been getting nearly as much publicity but is very similar to what Mike Waltz and Pete Hegseth are dealing with. And the consequence that this staffer faced when a leak of sensitive and classified information happened. We'll do all of that on the other side of the break. It's k i AM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio App Saturdays with Tiffany.
Speaker 1: You're listening to kfi AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: K i AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App Saturdays with Tiffany. Tiffny Hobbs here with you, and we're talking about this national security concern about the Bros Group chat featuring Vice President Jade Vance and seventeen others of President Trump's national security team. And President Trump is saying, not a big deal, much ado about nothing, look elsewhere. But the truth is that these administration officials used the messaging app Signal to share their war plans about at the time, the upcoming strike on Yemen to access those hoothy rebels, and they mistakenly included the journalist from The Atlantic, the editor in chief Jeffrey Goldberg, in the chat, which was supposed to be encrypted. However, we have learned through a cybersecurity professional in the last segment that Signal the app is actually an open source and fully encrypted messaging service that runs on centralized servers maintained by Signal Messenger, and that it is is in fact the wrong way to share sensitive and classified information. Now, with the Trump administration downplaying a need for caution, there are two things I want to note before we get back into the Signal App and a little bit of history. First, the app and the information shared in this chat were deleted by someone in the administration, and that deletion of records violates the Federal Records Act. Okay, we don't want people deleting their messages, whether it's Mayor Karen Bass or people from the Trump administration within the Signal App. And this deletion could in fact be something looked at within the Espionage Act. And this is in fact the biggest national security breach in history. And that's according to not me, not you, but every security expert who assessing this situation. All of the professionals are weighing in, like the security professional that we just heard from, that cybersecurity expert, and they are saying this is a huge problem. There have been other leaks in history, many leaks. The Pentagon papers in the nineteen seventies was a huge leak, the NSA leaks in or twenty nineteen. That's the Edward Snowden situation. The Chelsea Manning and Wiki leak situation in twenty ten resulted in Chelsea Manning being ultimately sentenced to thirty five years in prison. It was commuted by President Obama after she served seven of those years. And then also we have a current case with the DHS staffer who also was added to a also added a reporter to a group email. Sounds very much like what happened with Michael Walt and the Atlantics editor in chief, but this one is slightly different and it did not happen last week. No, this happened just a couple of months ago. And the thing about this situation is that the employee was fired. And when it comes to those within this current group chat the issue of firing, the issue of resignations, those conversations are being had, but as of right now, President Trump is saying, Nope, we're not moving on them. We are moving along. There's no issue. But every professional is telling you that that is in fact not true. We have another professional to weigh in on the signal app And why if you know someone who has the signal app. You might want to take a closer look at their reasoning. Raoul, you are the professional du Joor, tell us a little bit about what you know. Well.
Speaker 6: Signal app a lot. It's like Snapchat. And one of the great features about signal is that the pictures can disappear if they're sent. You can set it up to like disappear in five seconds, then fifteen seconds, thirty seconds. I used it in my personal and private life. I work with models, some of them are adult models, so we would yes, so we would exchange pictures that I needed to edit or things of lung some of that stuff I didn't want on my phone, but I had to edit it at watermarks, had.
Speaker 7: To edit those pictures. Yeah, let's sprinkle allegedly over this whole conversation. Okay, but yeah, I know that a lot of the ladies that I worked with preferred this because that way I wasn't keeping their pictures. Some of the ones that I wasn't going to edit or fix, they were gone. Once I saw them, I'd be like, yeah, I don't like that angle, doesn't look good.
Speaker 8: Next picture. And so that's how I used it.
Speaker 6: And I do think that if your husband or wife has the Signal app. You should raise an eyebrow unless they're working for the Pentagon or something like, hmmm, why do they have the Signal app? Because a lot of let's say, allegedly a lot of working girls prefer this app. Ah ah, and that hasn't been mentioned at all anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're mentioning it.
Speaker 6: Guys in this group chat had this Signal app.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that they might be using it for more than just security information.
Speaker 6: I am saying, allegedly, I would wonder why certain people have the Signal app because it's, like I said, it's like Snapchat. A lot of that information once you see it, it's gone. So these guys had they didn't have that feature on they should have.
Speaker 2: You know, you need to be a part of the National Security Advisement team.
Speaker 6: But I got to see how much they pay. If they pay, correct, I could work with that.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is radio, so it's probably going to be a little bit better, right, you know, Thank you for that. Security expert. Raoul allegedly allegedly when we come back, we're gonna talk about we're gonna leave the Signal app for a bit and we're gonna leave the group chat thankfully, and we're gonna talk about this American couple. Have you heard about them? They're being held in a Mexican prison and can kuon over a times share dispute. Don't go to the time share meetings people. Let this be another reason to skip the free extra days and the free booze in favor of not taking the time share meeting because it could land you in jail for three weeks or more as this couple is dealing with. We'll get into that when we come back. It's KFI AM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio App Saturdays with Tiffany Hobbs here till seven pm.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: I love this version Raoul Sneaky Guy. Oh kf I AM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio App Saturdays with Tiffany Hobbs here with you until seven. Then Michael Monks comes on and he'll have a wonderful show as always, so keep listening. If you've missed anything so far, please go to the iHeartRadio app or iHeartRadio dot com and find the special no No No not special features it is a special feature. Don't know why I'm mixing that up today because I think it's special. It is featured segments. Featured segments. Look for that tab on the far left on the app or the website. But there you can find this show under featured segments. It's been a fun and informative show thus far. We definitely learned. If your man has the signal app or your woman for that matter, I want to raise an eyebrow to that, because they're probably not in the war Bros Group chat. They might be doing something else that will raise your eyebrows. So uh, don't go checking phones tonight. But just know that if you see that pop across the screen, it's a problem.
Speaker 7: Well there's no evidence, though, there's no ed if you use it correctly. Oh these caveats.
Speaker 2: Hra Will Raoul is our residence signal expert, our national security expert here at KFI. So what he says is true. All right, let's move along now. I don't know if you've experienced this, but I have. When you visit an international resort, whether it is a small one or a large one, you are likely going to face inundation by someone trying to sell you a time share. They want you to come to the meeting. It's only two hours, they say, or three or four It always seems to go on and on and on. But in that meeting, if you just sit through the time share presentation, we will give you one week or three days or eight days and a bottle of tequila to sit at the time share presentation in hopes that you might fork out thousands of dollars to buy a week's worth of time or a few days of time at their property. That, of course, when you try and book will not be available to you because everyone else is booking the same thing at the same time. But that's neither here nor there. Well, there's a couple, a Michigan couple named Christy and paul A Keo, and unfortunately they took the time share presentation scam. I'll call it that they sat through the meeting, they forked over some money and instead of being able to get a week or a few days in Cancun, Mexico, they got this developing news for you tonight.
Speaker 9: The couple from mid Michigan is being held in a Mexico jail.
Speaker 6: Paul and Christy Ako are from Spring Arbor in Jackson County.
Speaker 9: Christy's daughter, Lindsay says they were arrested on March fourth and are being held without bond. She says the couple challenged charges made on their credit card and that's what led to their arrests. The Akao family says it has reached out to the US Embassy in Mexico, along with other federal and state agencies, asking for help, but they are still being held. Tonight, Congressman Tom Barrett's office says he has spoken to the family and that it has also reached out to the State Department and White House to get the a KOs released. Coming up tonight on six News at eleven, we will hear from the family who is desperate to get them back home.
Speaker 2: Do you ever watched those Locked Up Abroad shows? I love Locked Up Abroad? Roul was saying no, you're saying, yes, Kaylee, you've seen them. Oh yeah, that's really good TV.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: What do you remember an episode of any kind that you saw about any sort of international jail, like details that's not necessarily details of Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've seen. I just know I will always follow the rules when I am overseas because I do not want to go to prison over there. They seem very We're strict here, but they seem like next level strict in other countries. Yeah, and lawless. In some of the episodes I've seen, you have prisoners there just kind of walking around policing the you have a hierarchy, you have all sorts of lawlessness and criminal activity inside. And one of the episodes that I've seen, and there have been many filmed in the country of Mexico, had to do with this general area in which Christy and Paul Akao are being held, and it was said, you don't want to go to jail in Mexico. Not only are you going to potentially have to pay your way out allegedly callback right there for you, Raoul, but it is going to be hard to plead your case because the laws are in fact a bit different. So, as you just heard, this couple, both sixty years old, were in can Kun. They were trying to use their time share that they paid about one hundred thousand dollars for. They must have gotten really good accommodations. And once they landed at the airport in Cancun for a normal run of the mill family vacation, they were promptly arrested. Their charges are fraught to a hotel chain. They're still in jail as of today, which means that today is March twenty ninth. This story was three days ago. That makes twenty five days that they have been in jail in Cankun. Their attorney says that Paul and Christy signed up for a time share with Palace Resorts. I've never heard of Palace Resorts. Apparently they have many resorts in Mexico and their office is located in Florida. But I know that when you go to an international location, be it Italy like Nil Savadra, or be it Mexico like this couple specifically in can Kuhn, the time share buzzards come out. They want you to buy, and they did in fact buy. But they are saying Christy and paul A Keo that when they bought and tried to book time to use their days or their weeks and their haughty toddy accommodations, the resort didn't allow them to use their time as promised. So what did they do? They probably went to that big thick book that has all the different places and they tried to find a different place, and they couldn't. So they went back to the original place and they said, you know what, we're mad. We are mad, and we are not gonna take it anymore. So they disputed their contract with Palace Resorts and reached out to their credit card company MasterCard and said, dispute these charges. This is fraud. We booked, we expect things and we're not getting them. Therefore, there is a liat play here, and I'm wagging my finger. You can't see it. Take those charges off of our credit card. An American Express said okay, and they did it. And they did it, But the story obviously doesn't end there because now they're in jail. If it ended there, they'd be back stateside in Michigan enjoying their one hundred thousand dollars refund.
Speaker 1: But no.
Speaker 2: Mexican authorities said the refund was the scam that the couple scammed them out of thirteen transactions amounting to over one hundred thousand dollars. Now, Palace Resorts did some digging. When we talked to Frank William Miller Junior. He talked about our social media feeds being able to be access and Palace Resorts looked at the ako's Facebook activity, and they found a post on Facebook where Christy the wife walks her followers, her people who are a part of her Facebook through the process of disputing charges, just like she did, just like they did if in the event that you cannot book when you want to. Palace Resorts are saying that was basically a tutorial about how to scam out of you know, out of the money, out to get out of the charges. Therefore, this was pre meditated. They knew what they were doing, Palace Resort says, and the KOs say, no, no, no, we didn't. They said it in Mexico, so it sounds even further away. No, no, no, you can barely hear them because they're in jail. But regardless, now they are trying to fight these Mexican authorities, the Mexican legislative system to be able to get out. And here's the thing. The judge in the case allowed the timeshare company six more months to gather evidence to make their case against the a kao's, so they will likely stay in jail up to six more months while this trial, this case building commences. Sure we'll have updates about that. They very well may be on the next episode of Locked up abroad. There's definitely a show in store for them when they get out, but all in all, skip the timeshare presentation. When we come back, we're going to talk about what's going on. Another update with those eaten fire areas, and unfortunately this one has to do with adding more insult to injury mosquitoes. We hate them. They're back and they're back in the Altadena area in droves, at least according to officials. Allegedly right Raoul Allegedly k if I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and we'll talk to Michael Monks on the other side of the break.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Kay if I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tiffany Hobbs here with you. It's Saturdays with Tiffany for one final segment. You know, when I heard Tim Conway do that look ahead, I heard him say bonging, and I my brain twisted and I I thought he was saying that people would be allowed to, you know, do the do kind of do the boinking, blinking, bonging away a lot of things in store, I guess at movie theaters. We were just talking about our latest watches, Kayla and I paradise for both of us adolescents. For me, she's gonna get on pair adolescents. And we were talking about wanting to go to the movies some escapism, enjoy ourselves. Some people desperately in need of escapism would be those who are still two and a half almost three months now out from managing what happened in the fire areas, the burn areas, both the Palisades fire and the Eton fire burn areas. But this last story in Michael Monks, I'll bring you in for this because you are our resident expert on the area, given that you did so much reporting on the ground in Altadena and Palisades. The newest development out of the Altadena burn area is that of the couple of thousand, almost three thousand empty houses with swimming pools. Those swimming pools are now breeding grounds for mosquitoes as the weather starts to warm up, and at one single swimming pool can be a breeding ground for as many as three million mosquitoes in one month. This is very scary math. Twenty seven hundred swimming pools, at least three million mosquitos in one month, and that is one single pool. So the math I'm just doing three million times twenty seven hundred. I can't do it fast. But that's a buttload of mosquitos, Michael Monks.
Speaker 8: And you don't want a mosquito in your butt load.
Speaker 2: You don't want a mosquito.
Speaker 8: You don't want one, no.
Speaker 2: Let alone multiple millions of mosquitos in your buck The.
Speaker 10: Last thing LA needs right now is a healthy dose of malaria.
Speaker 7: So yeah, this is nothing for the image revitalization exactly.
Speaker 8: You really just can't catch your break.
Speaker 10: And I'll tell you, you know, being from the Ohio Valley, you don't want to mess with skeeters. You know, you've got empty buckets. You got to empty you know, pails, any thing that might collect water. When you think about the amount of water that might be left in some of these swimming pools, the.
Speaker 2: Teaspoon is a breeding round, if that's and that's like being generous. It can be less than that. And mosquito is, like you said, a lot larger, or excuse me, a swimming pool a lot larger. And in this revitalization campaign, this we love LA campaign, this want to present LA as having it all together, as being better as being You know, we're modifying our strategies to respond to crime. We have the My three to eleven app and it's faster now and crimes down, all these things that are supposed to be positive trending toward the positive. Then you throw this in.
Speaker 10: It's a snowball effect, right. It just keeps rolling down that hill and getting bigger and bigger, like one step forward, five back.
Speaker 8: That's life in La Baby.
Speaker 2: What's going on with your show?
Speaker 8: I'll tell you. You know.
Speaker 10: We got the Olympics coming up in twenty twenty eight, right, and I'm wondering whether we're ready to be ready. They made some votes this week at City Hall to approve the venues, but there seems to be some concern from one council member about where sailing is going to take place. Whether the wind is better in San Pedro than it is in Long Beach. Yes, so we don't even have that settled. To give you an idea of the government here.
Speaker 2: Let me jop in. Really, so, you said something really funny yesterday on Tim Conway's show. I was listening and you made me laugh out loud in the car. You said, and I'm a butcher it and I'll let you do it. That the Olympics is similar or like uh, preparing for your own party, right, but having no kitchen, no kitchen, Your kitchen's messed up. It's not redone.
Speaker 8: Kitchen is a mess.
Speaker 10: You have no food, You not showered, and that's the only And it's time for the party to start.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: People are at the door. Dictators aren't here, and that's kind of what we're dealing with you. Yeah, so we'll talk a bit about that. But I got a big show. You had a big show today. I got a big show too. I mean, Saturday is on KFI, a total vid, a total VOD.
Speaker 8: You'll learn, you.
Speaker 10: Laugh, you engage, you enrage. It's a lot of good stuff. I got two council members coming on, one to talk about the budget crisis and the homeless spending situation. Another's coming on to talk about why they felt they needed to vote to extend more protections to illegal immigrants in the city of Los Angeles. I got LA County District Attorney Nathan Hoffman on. He's brought back the death penalty to Los Angeles, so we'll talk about his mindset there. Like I said, we've got the Olympics coming on. I'm gonna go over why council is considering banning a couple of slurs at city How many?
Speaker 8: Give people some examples.
Speaker 2: City Hall is wild and crazy.
Speaker 10: I want to hear what happened. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Now I bleeped the bad words.
Speaker 2: Oh so you have basically no audio, but it's a lot of bleeps.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of bleeps.
Speaker 10: I also talked to a couple who love the Dodgers so much that they got married on Wednesday and collected money from friends and family to spend their honeymoon. They call it their mini moon at Dodger Stadium on opening day. Oh so they're going to be with us also, Oh how heartwarming.
Speaker 2: We go from mosquitoes to honeymoons, to city council to Nathan Hakman. It's everywhere.
Speaker 10: There is always a little bit of sunshine speaking through this mosquito infested hell hole we call la.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael. That was fantastic and it's been fantastic being with you again. If you missed any part of this show, you missed any part of Michael Monk's show, you can always listen on KFIAM six forty dot com go to featured segments and you'll hear everything there, including our big interview with Frank William Miller Junior today, wonderful interview about being banned from Madison Square Garden over a T shirt. What you want to hear it? It is really, really, really good and it probably it may scare you a little bit. Honestly, might scare you a little bit. Great show. I'll be with you next Saturday. You can always follow me on Instagram at tiff Hobbs on here. Thank you, Kayla, Thank you, Resident expert on signal security advisor Raoul Allegedly, what are you gonna say? You're just laughing, That's okay. Thank you, Brigitta, thank you, not allegedly. It's been a blast. I'll see you guys next Saturday right here on KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, KFI
Speaker 1: AM six forty on demand