Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boiseidah. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, Follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com Slash Radio Detectives. Before we get started, I want to dedicate this program to the memory of Dragnet cast member and most notably the star of Adam twelve, Martin Milner, who passed away on September sixth at the age of eighty three. We'll talk more about mister Milner after the program. Now it's time for today's episode of Dragnet. The original air dates September the seventh of nineteen fifty. In the title The Big Poison.
Speaker 2: The story you are about to hear is true, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent Dragnet. You're a detective sergeant here assigned the homicide detail. An old couple suddenly disappeared from one of the fashionable neighborhoods in your city. There's no trace of them, not to their whereabouts. Foul play is suspected. Your job find.
Speaker 3: Them Dragnet, the documented drama of an actual crime. For the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case from official police folence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 4: It was Saturday, September thirtieth. Was warm in Los Angeles. We were working the day shift out a homicide. My partner's Ben Romero. The boss is Captain Blaine Steed. My name is Friday. Was three forty five pm when I got to room sixty seven to eight missing persons.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jim, Hi, where's al next door? I'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 6: The phone message for you and the book from your wife?
Speaker 5: What is it this time? She didn't say it have been a bad week. Oh, what's the matter? Lou see him?
Speaker 6: Who our cat again? Kittens?
Speaker 5: Had to let them them by the time I left the house. Who was a healthy kid? Yeah? And what I'm gonna do with him? Hey, your mother likes cats, doesn't it you?
Speaker 4: You gave us two from the last letter. We still got him as healthy as their mother. Yeah, never pass up a meal.
Speaker 7: Hi, Joe Hill, sorry to keep you away, Just getting this report straightened up.
Speaker 8: Ego, mister and missus Walter Aperson, how long they've been missing?
Speaker 7: Well, today's the fourth day. They're an notaly couple. One of their next door neighbors got a little worried when he didn't see him around the house. Came in yesterday and filed at three sixteen on him. See Clarence Stokely.
Speaker 5: Is that the neighbor?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is here.
Speaker 7: He lived next to the Appersons for twenty eight years. Never known who to take off like this. Checked Aperson's cottage out there, dirty dishes on the kitchen table. Not the way an old couple leave the house normally. How about friends and relevants, Stokely called him. None of them seen or heard from the abersence for a week. Checked two of their three living relatives, cousin of Eagle Rock, and he's to know Hamburg.
Speaker 6: I don't know thing.
Speaker 8: I wonder if I can see that man? Yeah, thank you? Well, how about the third route team, nephew?
Speaker 5: Is that it Joe?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Frank Apperson says here he goes to a private college out near MONROEVI I haven't.
Speaker 5: Been able to contact the kiddies away on a vacation. Possibly old couple might be with him.
Speaker 7: Not, according to Stokely, says the Apperson seldom spending time away from their home.
Speaker 5: That's all we've got to go on. Huh just the neighbor's story.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, he says he checked the garage too. Of the absence car's gone.
Speaker 5: How does that die in?
Speaker 6: Well, mister Apperson.
Speaker 5: Hasn't driven the car for the last year and a half.
Speaker 7: He has a nephew or some friend drive whenever he wants to go out.
Speaker 5: One more thing may mean something, may not.
Speaker 6: Want missus Afferson's an invalid.
Speaker 7: You know, she has left the neighborhood in ten years.
Speaker 6: Four PM.
Speaker 4: Then and I left the office and drove out the interview the neighbor of the missing couple. After checking at his home, we finally located him at his place of business, a small barber shop at the corner of fifty fourth Street.
Speaker 6: In Laxford Place.
Speaker 4: The chip gold lettering on the window read Jim Dandyton Sorroyl Parlor. Smaller lettering in the right hand corner of the window read the proprietor, Clarence Stokely. Except for a man in a white barber's smock sitting in the first chair.
Speaker 6: The shop was empty.
Speaker 8: Dear gentlemen, Oh yeah, you clar Stoven. That's right police officers, meter Stope. I'd like to talk to you about the missing person's report you filed yesterday. Oh yes, God to help you find out anything.
Speaker 6: Yet you know the appers pretty well, do you?
Speaker 9: Mister Stoker twenty eight years sure worried about Boiler and Kate.
Speaker 5: Never known him to do anything like this. Say, I couldn't be of service to you, could I?
Speaker 8: Well, I just had her good few days ago. How about you, Joe, like you could stand a trim?
Speaker 9: We could talk it over while I cut your hair. Don't think we'd be disturbed? Nice to look?
Speaker 6: Well? Yeah, okay, fine, yeah, I'll take a coat.
Speaker 5: Thank you. As Jay.
Speaker 8: M and missus Apperson didn't mention anything about going away on a trip, didn't they?
Speaker 5: Not a word? That's what makes it so strange. And let me fix this around your next year.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, play cards with them twice a week usually, Katie. A person's a fine whisp player. Want me to take some off the sides here, officer?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Please, not not too much though, when did you first notice the Appersons weren't.
Speaker 5: Home Tuesday night? We thought we might go over and play some cards. I see, got enough off right here, officer, let me see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 5: I was if you waited until yesterday to report the appers is missing.
Speaker 9: Wife and I are great friends of Walk and Katies, but it's certainly none of our business if they want to go off for a few days. Besides, he thought if anything was wrong, Buzz would have said something. Oh was Budd Anderson's nest for Bud name is Frank? Would ever called him Buzz? I thought he was away at school placed out in near Monrovia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Stanley College, private school, and then he stays that part of the time. It's usually home, Honey.
Speaker 8: In the week, we were under the impression of this nephew, Buzz was on a vacation.
Speaker 9: That's so, that's the first time I've heard honey, Walk and Katy would have told us.
Speaker 5: Boom, sorry, there's a little dumb head down.
Speaker 4: You think the nephew might account for the air person's car being missing.
Speaker 6: I think he might have taken it on his vacation.
Speaker 9: Possible, I guess, But I think what would have mentioned it? The car was over, but he was particular about it. Maybe sit it out on top here a little.
Speaker 6: All right, fine, do you know the nephew at all?
Speaker 5: Pretty well? My young fellow.
Speaker 6: He got along with his aunt and uncle, all right, just indeed I was.
Speaker 5: Loved them both. Do you have any idea where the abersence might be, mister Stelphan, No, I don't either does my wife. That's why we called you people. You don't mean to be Bardinski's, but we're worried. Maybe just a little more off the top officer.
Speaker 4: No, it's fine, it's okay. You have no idea where we might find the nephew, Buzz not.
Speaker 9: If he's away on vacation. Might check with the school. Buzz might have gone off with a couple of his friends. There something to dampen that down. Yeah fine, Yeah, that porch lighted theirs burning for three nights and three days.
Speaker 5: It really kicks up the old electric bill.
Speaker 6: Maybe the a persons may have overlooked it.
Speaker 9: Maybe, all right, sir, that's a good looking haircut, if I say so myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 5: Here you go, thank you. Oh, here's our card, mister Stokely. We'll be checking, will you.
Speaker 6: Bye?
Speaker 4: Bye, Can I borrow your comb? Barber never combs your hair right, that's not gonna help you. Huh, it's the way you cut it.
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: He put the part on the other side.
Speaker 4: After we left Clarence Stokely's barber shop, we go out to the Apperson home on fifty fourth Street, just below Seaboard Avenue. We checked the house from top to bottom. The closets and the bedrooms were well stocked with clothes. None of the luggage seemed to be missing. In the basement, back on one of the covered shelves, we found a bottle of cyanide. It was half filled. In the kitchen we found dirty dishes still lying on the table. We put in a call to Raye Pinker at the crime lab and he came out and took sample scrapings from each of the three plates and specimens from each of the half filled cups of coffee on the table. He also took along the bottle of cyanide to examine it for fingerprints. Ben and I called the record bureau just as a matter of routine and asked for any making warrants on the nephew Frank buzz Afersen R and I called back with the information that Frank Aperson had been arrested for grand theft auto six weeks before his trial was pending. We checked back with the barber, Clarence Stokely, he knew nothing about the trouble. The next morning, Sunday, with the help of school authorities at Stanley College near Monrovia, we got in touch with the parents of two of buzz Aperson's friends. They told us, as far as they knew, Aperson was on a camping trip with their sons. They were expected back in the next day around noontime. From one of the boarding students at Stanley College, we got the name of buzz Averson's girlfriend, of missus Norma Louise Bernard.
Speaker 6: She lived in San Marino. Sunday night, we drove out to interviewer.
Speaker 10: I don't know what I can tell you, Sergeant. Buzzy's on a camping trip with two of the fellas from school. That's all I know.
Speaker 5: When did he leave? Do you know?
Speaker 6: Miss nine?
Speaker 10: Last Monday morning they left from school, said they'd be gone for a week. They're coming back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: You know a buzz Aferson pretty well?
Speaker 10: Yes, I do, as well as anyone I guess what is he?
Speaker 6: Just a casual date?
Speaker 10: Oh, Buzzy and I've been going steady for almost a year now.
Speaker 5: I see how old are you?
Speaker 10: I'm nineteen.
Speaker 6: Have you ever met the apersons? His aunt and his.
Speaker 5: Uncle just once?
Speaker 10: They're awfully sweet.
Speaker 5: How did Buzz get along with him?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 10: Fine, I guess the only argument Buzz ever told me about was a month ago he wanted more allowance and his uncle said no.
Speaker 5: Was Buzz ever in any trouble to your annollege, Miss Vernine?
Speaker 10: I don't think I know what you mean. What kind of trouble?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, was he ever in any trouble at the college or with a law in any way?
Speaker 10: Oh you mean that car Buzz took about two months ago. Yeah, we were supposed to go to this school dance and Buzz didn't have a car. I guess he was ashamed. He said he knew the fella he borrowed the car from. But the day after the dance the cops came.
Speaker 5: How did his uncle react, Well, there was a.
Speaker 10: Terrible row, Buzz said, I really shouldn't be telling you Bud Masby's promise.
Speaker 8: How were feelings between the boy and his uncle before he left on the trip.
Speaker 6: Did he mentioned anything to you about that?
Speaker 10: Well, we had a date last Sunday night. I asked him how things were at home. He didn't seem to want to talk about it.
Speaker 5: Last time you saw him was Monday morning?
Speaker 10: All right, Yes, just before he left on the camping trip.
Speaker 5: And you're sure he went on that trip?
Speaker 10: Well, of course, I'm sure. How do you mean, he said, No, matter who asked you, I went on a camping trip, he said it a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Do you offer any explanation?
Speaker 10: No, but I knew everything was all right.
Speaker 6: Oh? Was that so I could tell?
Speaker 10: Wade kissed me.
Speaker 4: The next morning, Monday? Then and I checked with missing persons. There was no additional information on the missing couple. We phoned the barber, Clarence Stokely, he had seen or heard nothing further of mister and missus. Apperson went down to the bank where the Apersons had their account.
Speaker 5: With the help of the manager, we found.
Speaker 4: That three checks had been passed on the apperson Checking accounts since the previous Wednesday, a full day after the missing cup had been last seen. One check was for one hundred dollars and two for fifty dollars each.
Speaker 6: All of them had.
Speaker 4: Been cashed in Los Angeles and all bore the signature Walter Apperson. After examination was found each signature had been carefully forged. Ten forty five am went back to the office.
Speaker 5: Hire you too, going sumblers? Oh hi, Ray, now just coming?
Speaker 6: You finished checking it stuff as a crime man?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was passing over this way. I thought i'd drop off the report for you. Got it right here? How to go?
Speaker 8: Finger Prints on that bottle of cyanide Latin prince gotta make.
Speaker 5: Here's the name on it. Frank was Aperson.
Speaker 8: You look over those dirty dishes we found in the Aperson house, checked them through nothing.
Speaker 6: How about the samples you took from those cups.
Speaker 5: Whoever drank that cuffee is in trouble.
Speaker 6: It's loaded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, enough sinid to kill a horse.
Speaker 3: You are listening to Dragnet the case history of a police investigation presented in the Public Interest.
Speaker 6: Monday, one pm.
Speaker 4: We obtained a specimen of Frank buzz Aferson's signature and we had Don Myers and handwriting check it out against the signatures on the three checks. Both styles of handwriting matched in every detail. At one thirty pm, the parents of buzz Aperson's two friends called to tell us that their sons were back from their camping trip. We checked the Aperson home. The nephew wasn't there. We drove out to see his two friends. Under questioning, one of them finally broke and admitted that buzz Aferson had not gone with him on the camping trip. In the process of questioning the boys, one of them told us that he had been with a suspect two days before the trip when he purchased some medicine at the campus drug store.
Speaker 6: We went to the drugstore and checked the prescription book.
Speaker 4: It showed Frank buzz Aferson had purchased and signed for a bottle of cyanide two days before the disappearance of his ants. Uncle Ben and I drove back to the Apperson house. When we arrived, the officers on steakeout had the boy in custody.
Speaker 5: No, I'm sorry, officers, I wish I could help you out, but well, maybe it's not as bad as you think. When did you last see your aunt and uncle Monday before I left on the camping trip. You in the habit of going off like this other? Oh? Sure, Aunt Kate and Uncle Walter have friends all over. They go on trips all the time.
Speaker 6: Is that so?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 8: How do they get there? They drive, both of them. They've been driving for years. Talk to your uncle's friend, mister Stokely next door. He says, your aunt and uncle, I haven't been driving for least a year and a half.
Speaker 5: Stokely the barber. He's one of the neighborhood cranks. Sergeant, anybody around here can tell you that mind's everybody's business but his own. You don't seem too worried about your aunt and uncle. I think they're all right. Well, we'dn't heard by now if they weren't, don't you think, sir? They probably took off on a trip that's just about the size of it. I think.
Speaker 4: How about this trip of yours, sir, Well, this camping trip that you just come from.
Speaker 5: Oh, a couple of fellas from school. We went camping up by Big Bear for a week. Pretty good fishing for September. You ever been up there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Have you for sure? I just said that's where we've been camping. So I'm a little thirsty. There's a couple of bottles of ale and the refrigerator. Care for a bottle? Would you mind if I had one? Sure could use it?
Speaker 6: No, you go right ahead? Would you talk?
Speaker 5: In the kitchen places in kind of a mess, so I'll have to go in clean it up.
Speaker 8: You your rent usually leave in a hurry like that. Not usually no dishes all over the place. She probably figured she'd wait till she got back to clean up. Aunt Kate does things like that once in a while.
Speaker 5: That's him. Yeah, she's like that sometimes. Well happy days?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Buzz, you want to tell us where are they?
Speaker 5: Your aunt and uncle? What happened?
Speaker 10: Say?
Speaker 5: I don't think I know what you're talking about. What's the trouble?
Speaker 8: Come on, Buzz, you know what the trouble is. Let's have a straight story. I'm gonna save a lot of time, sir. We can draw it out as long as you lie. It be a lot easier if you co operate.
Speaker 5: Look, I don't know what you're thinking, sergeant, but whatever it is, I don't understand you. What are you getting at? Something's happened to your aunt and uncle. We're pretty sure you know what it is. Well, how could I I've been away in this camping trip.
Speaker 6: You've been away, but not on a camping trip.
Speaker 5: Sir. We've checked you out from the day you came to live with your aunt and uncle. Boy, you're gonna make us spell out the whole record. Boy, But I've been away. I just got back. I don't know what's happened.
Speaker 4: We found a bottle of cyanide in the basement covered. Your fingerprints are all over it.
Speaker 5: Well, sure that figures. We use it for bug poison in the garden. I take care of the garden. I use it all the time, use it in coffee, sir.
Speaker 4: The police chemist checked what was left, and two of the cups that were on the table there cyanide in both of them.
Speaker 6: And have to kill six people.
Speaker 4: Hell, look, boy, we've talked to your neighbors, your teachers, your girlfriend Norma, those two pals you were supposed to go camping with.
Speaker 5: Now we can drag all of them out if we have to. They're going to make a liar on.
Speaker 6: You, Sir. I think you got it the first time.
Speaker 5: Well, there couldn't be any cyanide in those cups. Why should there be? We think you didn't tell us that. But I can't. I don't know anything about this. I have any idea what you're talking about it? Is this some kind of a gag? You know better than men? How about those checks buzz, sir, the ones you forged your uncle's signature on. You need the money?
Speaker 6: That bad?
Speaker 5: I didn't forge any checks. I was away on a camping trip. David Willie were with me. They can tell you you've got in a row with your uncle.
Speaker 6: Maybe about that stolen cars.
Speaker 5: That how it happened, It had nothing to do with it. I want to see Norma. I want to talk to David Willy. They'll tell you.
Speaker 8: How about the man at the campus drugst Sir, when you bought the cyanide from you? Want to talk to him too?
Speaker 10: Look?
Speaker 5: Are you two fellas kidding me? This must be some kind of a gag.
Speaker 4: Is it your aunt and uncle are missing? There's evidence of foul play? Now does that sound like a joke?
Speaker 5: Well? How should I know where they are? I wasn't there. I want to talk to Norma. I want to see Dave and Willie. They'll tell you. Why don't we drive over and see him?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 6: It's all right with us. I wanna get your coaked.
Speaker 12: Sure, Mom is a girl I'm engaged to. Dadan Willie are my best friends. You know everything about me, A couple of real nice guys and so sure.
Speaker 6: O that's cooling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Aaden Willie been all through school with me thinking about you for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure you can take their word too, we will.
Speaker 4: Five point fifty pm, we left the Aferson house, drove across town and headed over the Arroyo Seco toward the home of the suspect's friend, Dave Killerfer six thirty three pm, WHI took a right turn.
Speaker 6: Off the freeway, headed south for.
Speaker 4: Another mile, and finally pulled up in front of the killer for home.
Speaker 6: Buzz Afferson's friend Dave met us at the front door.
Speaker 5: What's it all about anyway, Buss, what's the pitch? Well, that's what I want to know. Look, is this some kind of a gag you guys cooked up on me? We were on the trip, Buzz, I don't know anything about any gag. What's all this about your aunt? Knuckle? I don't know. That's what these officers want to find out.
Speaker 8: I'd like to have you tell us again. Dave was Buzz here with you on that gavinger.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's why we came over. I'll tell him about it, you know, all right, let's have it, Dave. Was he with you on that trip?
Speaker 13: These officers aren't kidding, Buzz. They want the truth.
Speaker 5: Well tell him I was with you and Willie. We went to Big Bear.
Speaker 13: You're looking for your aunt, knuckle. I'm not gonna lie now.
Speaker 5: You didn't go to Big.
Speaker 13: Bear with us?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: D thanks?
Speaker 5: Well he's lying. Officers? Who puts you up to this stunt? Dave? They'll throw you in the jug for a gag like this? Who's behind it? You're the guy who said it was a gag?
Speaker 13: You told us to tell everybody Rubbert the Big Bear was Willy and me? How about leveling? What's it about? He's lying? What's it about? You've got nothing to hide, have you?
Speaker 5: He's lying? You can tell that, can't you. Let's go talk to Willie. He'll tell you the truth. Joe.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Dave.
Speaker 13: That's all all right, sergeant. Sure, there isn't anything I can do?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Thanks, just the same, good night, okay, good night. Anybody could tell he was lying, isn't that right? Sergeant?
Speaker 6: Well, he's your friend, was Why do you say that?
Speaker 5: Well? He was just plain lying, that's all. Couldn't you tell? No? I couldn't.
Speaker 6: How about you? Ben?
Speaker 5: Mean? Why would you lie?
Speaker 6: Boy?
Speaker 5: He told us he was your pair some kind of a stupid gag. They're pulling gang in the fraternity I belong to. Dave's one of them. They've done it before. I don't know why they're lying, but they are.
Speaker 6: Where's your friend Willy live?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 6: You said you wanted to drive over and have us talk to Willie? Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Where does he live? Look? Would you mind very much? How's that? I got a terrible headache?
Speaker 14: Would you mind very much? Just driving around a while? I'd like to clear my head a little. I can't figure this thing out?
Speaker 5: All right? Watch you roll down the window there?
Speaker 6: Buzz?
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, yeah, it feels good.
Speaker 5: Sure is hot out tonight. H's been a pretty long summer, hasn't it?
Speaker 6: Yeah? It has?
Speaker 5: Say, I guess maybe we ought to forget about going over to Willie's place. He strings along with the rest.
Speaker 6: He'd probably lie too, He said, you wanted.
Speaker 5: To want to just have a cok with him? Yeah, but I've been thinking about it. He'd only lie. It'd be better if we drove over to see Norma. That's the girl I'm engaged to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what we understand.
Speaker 5: If anybody can give you a straight story, Norma can. She doesn't move far straight down the road here in the San Marino.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we know.
Speaker 5: Oh, sure would appreciate it if you drive over there. Okay, Norma can straighten this thing out. Swell girl, we're gonna get married as soon as we can.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she saw me leave on that trip to Big Bear. She won't lie to you. Sure. Wish my aunt and uncle had left a note where they were going. All this trouble, you might have finally had a couple of things for you.
Speaker 4: Buzz, How what do you mean when a police officer picked somebody up, he's got a good reason for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Dave was lying, Sergeant. You know that. It's a lot more on what Dave had to say. You've done something wrong.
Speaker 4: We don't know what exactly, but we've got an idea and we're going to find out.
Speaker 5: You can't prove anything. I got that cyanide for the garden. We used around the house for different things.
Speaker 6: You don't use it in coffee cups. What happened? Boy? Where's your aunt and uncle?
Speaker 5: Next? Turn for normous house up by the signal turn left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come on, buzz, you know what happened. You're gonna have to face it sooner or later. If it's not tonight, then tomorrow morning or tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Night or the night after. I don't know what happened. The facts say you do, and they're not gonna disappear.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: You made the problem.
Speaker 6: It's gonna stick out in front of you. I'll you find an answer.
Speaker 5: How about it? Normal? Know what to do? Way till I talk to Norman? Why don't you stand up and face it?
Speaker 6: Boy? Getting your girl mixed up? And this isn't gonna help.
Speaker 5: She'll know what to do.
Speaker 6: Can she finds your aunt and uncle? Can't she? How about the three checks? How about them?
Speaker 5: Can she explain those signatures that you forged?
Speaker 4: Maybe those fingerprints in the cyanide bottle? Can she help you out there? I look, Buzz, I believe you. You love the girl?
Speaker 6: If you want to mixed up in all this?
Speaker 5: Who we are? Joe? Okay, that's the right house, isn't it. Yeah? That's Norma's house? All right?
Speaker 6: What's it gonna be? Do we win?
Speaker 15: She'd cry, She'd only cried, Norma thinks a lot of me. Yeah, she's a swell girl. I don't want to have to tell her. She don't cry, you know, I killed my aunt and uncle.
Speaker 6: Eight pm.
Speaker 4: Buzz Aperson directed this to drive to San Pedro, to the west basin of the Los Angeles Harbor. We got out of the car and followed him to the end of one of the piers. He told us his story, and we put in a call to the office. Within half an hour, a fireboat and a barge were on the scene, and a diver was sent down into the water a few yards from the edge.
Speaker 6: Of the pier.
Speaker 4: We stood by and watched buzz Aferson, Ben and I.
Speaker 5: I put quite a bit of sign I had in the coffee. I had to be sure. How'd you managed to get both of them in the car.
Speaker 14: I waited till way after dark, and then I dragged him out, drove down to the end of the pier right here, put the car in low.
Speaker 13: It went over.
Speaker 5: I'd rather diver went down just at this end of the barge.
Speaker 8: All right, there was liones up there.
Speaker 5: You gotta stand back and yeah, watch it. Okay, so let's go, buzz.
Speaker 8: Yeah, my aunt only one thing missing, boy, sir.
Speaker 5: The reason, why'd you do it?
Speaker 11: I'm not sure anymore stolen car trouble. I guess my trial was coming up all that of trouble. I didn't want my aunt and uncle to go through all that. I mean, that's why you killed him, I think so. I didn't want him to be ashamed of me. That must sound funny.
Speaker 6: Nobody's gonna believe it.
Speaker 5: I suppose I don't make any difference.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true, only the names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On December fifteenth, trial was held in Superior Court, Department ninety two, City and County of Los Angeles, State of California. In a moment the results of that trial.
Speaker 5: And now here is our star, Jack Webb, thank you.
Speaker 4: To successfully prosecute a criminal suspect, the working detective gathers all available physical evidence in the crime lab. This evidence is carefully selected and screened to determine its worth.
Speaker 3: Frank buzz Apperson was tried and convicted of murder in the first degree and sentenced to life imprisonment. He is now serving his term in the state penitentiary. You have just heard Dragnets a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice for Dragnet come from the Office of Chief of Police wh Parker, Los Angeles Police Department.
Speaker 6: Coming up Duffies Tavern. Be sure to hear theater Gil Sunday on NBC.
Speaker 16: This is Andrew from Otrwesterns dot com. I wanted to invite you to come take a look at our site. We stream live OTR Westerns twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, along with putting out podcasts of old time Radio Westerns. Check us out at Otrwesterns dot com. You're listening to the great Detectives of Old Time Radio with Adam Graham. Now let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Well, this is another case where uh dragonnat told a very different story from other crimes. As if you watch the detective movies and the detective calls out the criminal, the criminal either breaks down or confesses, or grabs a hold of the protagonist pistols and makes a desperate dash to escape. Instead, what we see here in this more typical murderer investigation is a situation where the suspect and inded, the murderer remains in denial in face of a mountain pile of evidence. Ineligist becomes too much and so it's one of those things that Dragnet portrayed that really gave it that touch of realism. And you have to admit a sort of this satusfye ending in many ways, at least as far as the police are concerned. It's the case of what appeared to be a senseless crime, and even after is explained, it seems to be almost too incongruous. So a very realistic and interesting program. Well, now we turn to talking about Martin Milner and the Chief of the la Police Department, mister Charley Beck, issued a statement Adam twelve, and Martin Milner embodied the spirit of the LAPD to millions of viewers. His dections of a tough, a professional and tough yet compassionate cop led to thousands of men and women applying to become LAPD officers, including me. God speed, Martin. You will live forever in our hearts. When it comes to talking about actors' legacies, it can be a bit of a challenge because there's a natural tendency to confuse the actor and the role they played. However, in the case of mister Milner and Pete Malloy, there's at least some key similarities. Milner was considered and considered himself to be a working actor. He didn't view himself as a big star. He was a professional who did his job and did it well, and in many ways that was at the core of the Malloy character as well, which is I guess what made Milner perfect to play the role. Over the years, many people have come up to Milner and have let him know that they became police officers as a result of seeing his performance on Adam twelve. Though the lessons and behaviors of Maloy it applied to many lines of work. I know that some of my best coworkers, at their best moments say have reminded me of Malloy, who was always played with not only professionalism, but kindness, saying patience when it was an option. And so it was a great role from Milner, but there were so many others, including Ragna and the movie Pete Kelly's Blues. When Colombo began as an ongoing series, he was the first actor to play the murder victim. Was a very rich and very career for Milner. As time went by, he faded from the public view to a great extent, and what we can say publicly is that over the last couple decades of his life, Milner lived a fairly ordinary life. He volunteered at his local humane shelter quietly without any sort of fuss. He loved phishing in that he was very vocal about co hosting a phishing talk show for eleven years, and he dealt with his own share of personal tragedies, including the death of his daughter in two thousand and four. ELF, I'm extremely grateful have spent so many hours enjoying the fine work that Martin Milner did. His professionalism in talent provide a lasting legacy. We won't be airing his episodes. He spent four radio episodes as Joe Friday's partner, and those are really best listened to in context, and his roles in them really are quite limited. However, our next video theater will feature a episode of Dragnet starring Martin Milner, or i should say, featuring him in the Big producer rather than the Big Actor, which had been the play we'd been intending to bring you, So be sure and listen to that coming up in eight days. In the meantime, if you do have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, Slash Radiodetectives From Boise, Idaho, This is your host, Adam Grahamson and Off