Speaker 1: How do we build stronger community?
Speaker 2: Because I will raise my hand and now will My name is Bertie, and what I'm about to say is the truth. Nothing but the truth will help me God. When I come home, I want to for nobody after thinking my low community. After you do all of that throughout the day.
Speaker 3: Oh saka fed Welcome to Unfiltered Lining Podcasts. Join us as we reflect on our personal journeys and share our insights, experiences, and stories. From food to music, language to customs. We explore what it means to straddle to cultures and find a sense of belonging in both. Whether you're a first time generation Caribbean American, a seasoned veteran, or simply curious about the rich tapestries of cultures that make up the Caribbean diaspora, this podcast is for you. We are your host, Lisa, the Dominica Diva, Furtied, the Hastien Sensation. No one's talking, so let's get unfiltered.
Speaker 1: Today's another wonderful day.
Speaker 2: We are here with you all because we just appreciate good conversation. We appreciate our Caribbean culture. We appreciate having conversation about what makes us who we are. Stronger together as a community. As we're building everything that we are going through in the world, we just feel.
Speaker 1: Like community is stronger together.
Speaker 3: Let's discuss that we need I think also too, I think we need community more than ever, yes, much more than.
Speaker 1: How does that look like? Though?
Speaker 2: It's one thing to say that we do need that, but how does that look How do we go from you know, saying it to putting into action to actually applying it where we don't feel so overwhelmed. Let's let's start with when you wake up in the morning, right, you start your day with.
Speaker 1: The best of intention.
Speaker 2: Right, you start your day with Okay, I'm gonna wake up, I'm gonna exercise, I'm gonna eat healthy, I'm gonna be nice today. I'm gonna be kind. I'm gonna drink from my Haitian people. I'm gonna drink some hot tea. You know, say also see whatever you know ginger teas. We're gonna maybe you know, go for a walk, exercise.
Speaker 1: Then we're gonna go to work. That's one community.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go to work and make the best out of their work on nine to five to make the money that we need. Then we're gonna come home. Then if you have a family, gotta cook for your family. If you got a dog like I do, you gotta walk your dog. You gotta take care Susan. And doing all of this stuff right day in and day out. How do we build stronger community? Because I will raise my hand and I will My name is Bertie, and what I'm about to say is the truth. Nothing but the truth will help me God. When I come home, I wanna ask for nobody. I'm not thinking my little community. After you do all of that throughout the day when you come home or you.
Speaker 1: Thinking about community? Are you thinking about.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you don't.
Speaker 1: So how do.
Speaker 2: We and our every day with everything that we're trying our best to live at the community, have ad stronger community, have the conversation participate in when we can. So we got to be honest with ourselves and ask the questions to ourselves about how we do build these stronger communities. And we're particularly going to focus on the women part.
Speaker 1: Men.
Speaker 2: We love you, Black men, we love you. Ain't we ain't trying to not include you. But you know, these conversations because we women, I can't identify as the black men.
Speaker 1: I never had a penis. So I don't know, I've never you know, I'm just saying I never have, so certain stuff that we talk.
Speaker 2: About if some more women's protective, So I just want to be very clear about that.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's correct, the woman's perspective.
Speaker 1: You're a We.
Speaker 2: All are welcoming different ideas, but again we are always welcome to have.
Speaker 1: You come on.
Speaker 2: Yn't want one of these community builders want to come on and give us a few insights. But how do we how do we build those community how we struggle together? What do you think it starts with yourselves? What do you think that it starts within your family, with your friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do we start?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it definitely starts number one with yourself and you wanting to see change. We all want to see change, right, So it becomes what can I contribute to the change. So if I start with my family and my friends, and then at that point when you start there, it can eventually grow to be like an octopus situation, and then the tentacles can reach out and that's how we make communities larger. I definitely think, especially in the Caribbean culture, we do a very good job of I feel like we do a very good job of coming together to have a FET. We do an excellent job at that. With that being said, if we can come together and FET with no problem, we need to also in our strength and that community. Start from there. What little things that we can do outside of our everyday nine to five work, family, kids, whatever that we can do to contribute, and it has to start. We can start small, right, We just have to start. That's the thing. And I think, without getting too heavy, one thing with I'm gonna say twenty twenty five is teaching us is that we need to do a better job at it. As number one, women number two, as Caribbean community number three, as Black people as a whole, we need to do a better job. So if we can start with these little things, and it could be something simple as it could start with a conversation at a kitchen table with the family, right. You know, when we sit at those tables, a lot of times we talk about the culture, things going on in the family, the elders talking about reminiscing of things back in their time and just trying to hold onto the culture. In that conversation, with holding onto the culture, we also talk about what can we do to pass that culture on, but also what can we do differently? Right? But it could start at someplace small as a kitchen table, you know, because one thing we will do besides having a fet is getting together in the kitchen to make some food, some pelau and some you know my favorite, Yeah, my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's been going and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: You just keep going, Yeah, we keep going now, brough, Yeah, don't forget the broth. We're gonna talk about that.
Speaker 1: Some people can't make broth, so thirty.
Speaker 3: Bro Wait is it broth a broth? No, some people can't make bro broth. Bro yeah, No, getting back to the kitchen table.
Speaker 1: I love people though, it's all I want people to know. This is a conversation.
Speaker 2: This is all.
Speaker 1: With my heart. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You still ain't safe, You still ain't well, at least with me. You ain't safe with me. No one's safe.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to be not that person because for a few seasons, no one will say I'm not trying to be the We're switching off this season.
Speaker 1: This is what's good about our community right here.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna use ourselves on an example, the fact that the podcast is a perfect example of stronger community and building a community together. Right if you have followed us and you are new to the main mission of the podcast is to show that even though we're from different islands and we have different upbringing, we're also the same our household. Maybe the food was a little bit different, maybe the tongue of what we were speaking was a little bit different, but we were the same. We were like, well, we want to build stronger relationship. We want to show that even though yes, you may speak possible I seek Creole, French or whatever, but our parents and their journey, our mothers and their journey, our fathers and their journey is just a different household, but we have a lot of similarities. So I think for like you said, it starts out at the kitchen table. But I remember back in I don't know, a few years ago, where in me trying to build a stronger community for my family. Then you take it from the kitchen table right to the conversations and all that, and then I was like, I want to get to know them more. I want to learn more about my culture. Because again, y'all, Haitiana gonna call me bluh because I was born I have not been to Haiti. I was not born in Haiti, so we all called blah mouna did it all y'all know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Which start with me?
Speaker 2: Or you could call me, oh I may a kid because you know, hey, I just have not been to Haiti. So for me, it was important to learn about my culture because I love my mother dearly.
Speaker 1: They are very proud. But she didn't sit down and teach me the history.
Speaker 2: Did I have like her uncles, great uncles and different people in the family talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But at the point I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know the significance of those stories because it was coming from great uncles.
Speaker 1: I was a kid. I was like, I ain't gonna try to sit down.
Speaker 2: Now I understand that those stories how important they were. So when I got older, I took what the concept of Lisa is saying at the kitchen table talking about this, and I was like, we should do a thing family reunion. So now you have a conversation. You start out with the kitchen table. Then you take that concept and then you do something if you can. If you cannot, that's fine. Then you may partner.
Speaker 1: Up with an organization. You may find different ways financially or with.
Speaker 2: Your time to contribute to the communities that you want to contribute to. Right, so I took again Lisa's concept is you start out the kitchen table because you see your family, your friends or whatever, you have the conversation you over dinner, and then you take that into something.
Speaker 1: So for me, it was starting out my family reunion because then I'm inviting others into that community to build a stronger community.
Speaker 2: I'm inviting other perspective, other stories about oh what can we do now. I'm sorry to say that I no longer participate in my family reunion, but it's because COVID happened. COVID happened, and it just put a damsel things change, and I'm going to leave it at.
Speaker 1: That for now, because we never know.
Speaker 2: But I knew for me the importance of doing the family reunion, and I did it for five years.
Speaker 1: What my main mission was, I wanted children from our children to know and to know that one how.
Speaker 2: Large our family was, and then also to know like if I were to go somewhere or something happens to me, my son could just be like, oh, I got family here, I got family there, I got family here. I got cousin people that are gonna look out for them, And I think is the same way African Americans do sororities in fraternity.
Speaker 1: It's the same concept.
Speaker 2: They have the network of people that you it doesn't matter if you're a blood or not once you join that organization your family, but they have a network of people like if you need something, oh, okay, so and so can help you in all areas of all types of things. So I think as Caribbean, African American colored people like however, minorities, I think we do have those resources that there's so many organizations in so many ways of building stronger community out there. You just gotta choose what fits for you and you gotta see how you could contribute that makes sense for you. We're not telling you that, oh you need to because again, like I begin the story, we wake up with a day that already is consuming us with so much. Right, so you gotta pick and choose and you gotta feel make it like, Okay, if I have thirty minutes today to go sit with an elder, that's.
Speaker 1: What I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: And that's building a stronger community because you're gonna get stories, you're gonna pass it down right if you're like, you know what, that's not for me.
Speaker 1: I don't like the.
Speaker 2: Elders, but you want to play basketball with the kids in the community.
Speaker 1: You understood what I'm saying. You're teaching them like earn your leisure for example.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have y'all in there.
Speaker 2: You started with financial education, now you're going to Ghana to build Like that's building a community and they are using the strength of financial education to do so. The other example that I could use is Pah yeah us.
Speaker 1: It's another example.
Speaker 2: Because last year we gave out the first Caribbean Excellence Scholarship to three individuals with with Caribbean culture and this year we're looking to do well. Yes, so we're looking to continue that moving forward. But that's one way we feel like we're building a stronger community. And then we do also reach out to other people, like when there was what the hurricane that happened, we partner up with I think she was soaka something on Instagram.
Speaker 1: We need to find your once we find her name with my Tiger and we donate that.
Speaker 2: And then we donated what we could as a podcast to this Realief Fund to be able to provide whatever it was for this particular island. So there's ways that you could build strong community, find the right people because I know it's scary. That's the other thing too. We gotta be realistic because I know that it's scary. It's scared to trust people. It's scared you know who to trust a lot of times because you have so many I ain't on front for me in my scort fyol list going not trusting anywhere and my stingers already on see lisaid, lisays the Libra trying to balance it out.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm trying with like Yo, what I'd be like, wait, wait, let's let's talk about this. Let's let's look at both sides. Let's talk about this, like let's get a glass of wine.
Speaker 2: Just now you feel we come be like what the fuck do you want? Why you want my money? You gotta give me x y Z what I need to see everything. I ain't trying to balance with you, because.
Speaker 3: But look at the little puppies and the little babies over here.
Speaker 2: See that's why we balance each other out, because I'd be like, yo, no, I need I need your rap ship.
Speaker 1: I need to I need to know where my money is going.
Speaker 2: Especially, so I do understand also the part about the community of having the resources, who to trust and all of that can be a little bit daunting at time, but you still have If you don't trust anybody, start your own. We're a very big advocate of starting your own organization. The example I have is a and I follow her on Instagram. We follow her on Instagram. Her name is Bertrude Albert. She's with p H Global. She's an Asian organization.
Speaker 1: And I want to.
Speaker 2: Start out with this young lady has a PhD. Is that yeah, Yes, she's about her stuff. So again, PhD shows that she has worked, she has dedicated herself to get the education that she is.
Speaker 1: So we got to give credit where credit is due. Definitely organization. What I like about her is the fact that she is.
Speaker 2: A very proud Haitian, but not only that she has put her mouth where her money is.
Speaker 1: Her money where her mouth is.
Speaker 3: You put her money where her mouth is.
Speaker 1: Is that what it is? Yo?
Speaker 2: I try to do the the American singers, and YO, I'll be wrong all this time. Please every time y'all know I'm doing an American singer wrong.
Speaker 1: I have tough skin.
Speaker 2: You could put it and say, yo, be why you missing comments because y'all know I'll be put.
Speaker 3: The money where your mouth is. You're like you put the money. Put the mouth where the money is.
Speaker 2: What But their organization, she is about education. She actually lives in Haiti, she has been for a while now. Their organization is one of those organizations she's strongly about education. She's strongly about rebuilding the Haitian how people see Haitian people, and living in Haiti.
Speaker 1: And providing education.
Speaker 2: So her organization is one that I would say, And then she's been involved in a lot of different what do they call it, different missions around Haiti where she is currently. Their garbage system is working, also the canal, she's been a big part of that and helping and maybe that you know, there's water coming in, and then that the you know, they train teachers to make sure that they're providing education. But the other part that I like about her and how I discovered on Instagram was the fact that again I wanted to learn about the true history of Haiti, and she covers that. She covers the true history of Haiti, and then I got into oh, she has an organization, so sometime you meet people for one reason, or you seek out things and then you find out, oh it's really cool and Ertrude, I'm gonna tag.
Speaker 1: You on here.
Speaker 2: I would love for you to come on this podcast or I would love to partner up with you for you to talk to the people on our platform. But yeah, so pH four Global is one not if you're looking to again build a stronger community and you're looking to partner up with something or looking to donate or looking for ways to support the Haitian people, that would be one that I would.
Speaker 1: Say to do also.
Speaker 2: And then for Dominika, there's also visit with Dominica has a Visitors.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That you could go on there and they do a lot of community things in Dominika.
Speaker 3: And you know, teaching a history about Dominico. Two I want to add on with community also too, is that we want the we call our followers a d Linemen crew. We want them to know that this is a safe haven also too, and that this is a community if you feel like you need to reach out and you need to talk to someone as well. Definitely, we're creating a community of first generations to just have a place to come and chat. So at any point you could drop you in a comment, or if you want to share something private, you can also DM us to that will be private. And then if you want to come on and talk about communities that you're sharing or community you want to be a part of, or maybe a community idea that you want backing. Also to feel free to reach out to us to because a lot of times people feel like they just want a safe space, as you mentioned, and that's one thing that we can reassure that we're a safe space. We do crack a lot of jokes, yes, but.
Speaker 1: That but that's the Caribbean way.
Speaker 3: Like if yeah, we can help out joking or.
Speaker 2: Cracking joke, you gotta have some and we understand, you know, the younger generation, we want everybody to be welcome. And like I said, that's when I was younger. You know, the great uncles were telling the stories but I didn't know. So I want to We want to be able to also reach that gap that the next generation doesn't fill out of touch.
Speaker 1: With our story and with our culture.
Speaker 2: Because if we are feeling proud, because I would say again nothing with my parents, they did a beautiful job, but there's a gap that I had to go and seek out a lot of my community and identity.
Speaker 1: Even though I was around it.
Speaker 2: Being around something doesn't always mean you understand that thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, talking about it.
Speaker 2: You have to answer question, you have to show me. Okay, we're Haitian, we're proud people. Why especially like I understand the ones born in Haiti understanding And I think I've mentioned that before my cousins were born because they go to school and they learn about their true history, like m certain places, but they learn about that, so they come here with the mindset yo, I'm Haitian, we are the firm, don't blah blah blah, and where that they believe?
Speaker 3: Proud, proud, But then yeah, and the same thing in Dominica too, they teach about the Dominikan history. But then also too, and again this is no fault of their own because our parents came to this country. They're trying to survive themselves and acclimate themselves to a new culture and country. So a lot of times, some of I'm gonna say, the bad habits came with them where children were seen and not heard, so we didn't have the opportunity to sit at the table. They did teach us a lot some things. I'm gonna say some a lot things about our culture, but we couldn't ask the question why that's the thing we could not add. So that's another thing I feel like this podcast came out of that too, was like our grievances. It started off with the things that our parents are not talking about, you know what I mean, just like you said, bridging that gap, you know. So that's another reason why I emphasize like this is a safe space because we have to basically learn from each other. You know, our parents now, I feel like they are of age and we're grown that we can start asking some questions. But also too, with the I hate to say, the dying age too of our elders, we're losing a lot of things because we didn't have the opportunity to talk about it when we were younger.
Speaker 2: So, like you said, table, when you're building that community, even though the food is important, even though the music is important, the history as important. And if you can then place them in resources or environment like I say, pH Global and so many other resources that are out there, that you're providing resources for your children the younger generation to feel proud because I know our children they are very proud. My son is very very that Yo, he found out that he's Haitian one hundred percent. And I know you're gonna ask me so if you want to know why that, I said what I said common below and will tell you the ending of that story. But he's found out that he's a hunch. I'm I'm a hundred percent of Haitian. He's Dady's one hundred percent. And he found out and he was like, oh, yo, he has a different step, a different at, a different whatever. And he's step because and I know that's way different than mine when I grew up feeling like, oh my gosh, I'm Haitian. He has a totally But again, it's the way that I'm relating the history.
Speaker 1: I'm relating the.
Speaker 2: Information and we're having conversation and it's not like, oh, we're Caribbean and we're the back and all this su the good and the bad. You got to give all of it, but you gotta also stand tan tos.
Speaker 1: Did I used to okay because I thank you see.
Speaker 3: Was about the strong too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was about to mess that finger up, but thank you for the same.
Speaker 2: But yes, he's like, you gotta be able to stand tantos and be able to know the history, be able to know when people are FFing with you about who you are, and be able to be like, oh, so yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: Think that, But yeah, I would have to say we are proud of our culture because I know plenty of times, you know, and I know I've mentioned this story before where it's like back in the days, I would never miss a mask, I would never miss a carnival, I would never miss a jump up. And my dad would always say like, but you're American. I don't know who are you? And I'm like, just because you guys came here and I'm born here, that doesn't mean that my culture is just out the window. Or but yet, what probably some of the problem is, I think some people, and I'm not necessarily saying my parents, I think some people come here to this country and they want to leave the culture behind and they just want to be like, I'm here in America, this is the Promised Land, so we're all about this, and they just they throw it out. Do I do notice that there are some people that come from different countries and they just throw the baby out with the bike, with the baby water, you know, what I mean. And I don't believe that you should do that, you know, because and I guess what also helped too is that from the time we were babies, we went back like every other summer. Oh that's good, you know what I'm saying, and those house parties, so all of those things kept you well, this is in my mind. I'm like, well, this is who we are, right, this, this is who I am. And it's it's you know, even though I'm in the United States, this is this is who I am.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like for our parents because my parents, my parents did that, especially my mom. We were born in Guadeloup, so when she would introduce us to people or even with some of our cousin, it's like, oh, these are the Guadalupians, right. But then at the same time, and I don't want to get into nothing, you are where your parents are born.
Speaker 1: So I still have a conflict.
Speaker 2: Now, Like and this morning, I'm going for my walk and this person's like, oh, hi, good morning. I say hi to them, and they noticed the accent and they were like, oh, where are you from?
Speaker 1: And I find myself always staying I was born.
Speaker 2: In Guadeloup, but my parents are Haitian instead of saying I'm Haitian.
Speaker 3: I I'm Dominagon.
Speaker 2: For me, I think it's also like the mindset not something I'm working on, because it's just so grain in me that, oh I was going to Guadalupe. And I think it's still I don't know if it's just you know, still not considering myself or or considering what people feel about Haitians and Haiti and things like that. But you are where your parents are born, and like you to your point, like your parents, you know, I don't think that they were ashamed of being Haitian, but like you said, they left, you know, that part of their life. So for my mom, when she was introduced her, she felt like, oh, well, my kids were born outside of Haiti. To her, she she did it as a badge, not to be disrespectful, I don't think, but it was just like, okay, they were born in a French island, you know just what I mean. So, like there's a complex within our parents, and I don't think that they realize it to tell people like, hey, your son, you know, your.
Speaker 3: Child, it's okay to be proud of where you're from. It's okay.
Speaker 2: And I tell you he's Haitian yea, even though he was being razy, and my son will tell you he Haitian.
Speaker 3: Okay, don't mess And that's the thing I think because of me is a melting pot. Everybody's proud of where they're from. So it's just kind of like, you know, like they say, I'm Black and I'm proud. Yeah, I'm Dominiquing and I'm proud. I'm Haitian and I'm proud, Like I'm Puerto Rican and I'm proud. Like it's just I'm Colombian and I'm proud. It's just it's just what it is. And you know who the loudest is, the trainis and I'm proud. But yeah, we all talk about that.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day, we gotta take the good with the bad, you know, teach the good and the bad, because I feel like that's another thing too.
Speaker 1: With our culture and with Haitian, we are.
Speaker 2: Always and it's it's a double edged sword, is what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Because we are proud to talk about the history.
Speaker 2: About the revolution, about the first independent all of these things are phenomenal because damn right we should be. But at the same time, why I don't like is then we brush certain conversation under the rug, and we can't do that. And I'm not saying that we should do that in all arenas, but I feel like you said at the kitchen table with your family, have the conversation so that way your children when they go out in the world, they are fully equipped, right, Because I think that's a struggle that we need to overcome to be a better community within just not because our communities are built on individuals. Individuals and families, families and community community.
Speaker 1: To the world, right, that's how things work.
Speaker 2: So if you're not equipping the individual to be able to be a good family person, to be able to go out in the community and be a good citizen, then you know you're putting out You're putting out not quality, quality assets. Can I say human's assets to go out in the world and to build those stronger communities, because then a lot of time, I feel like that's where we also lack. If we're not building strong children, women and girls and boys that they don't know their identity, as far as the girls.
Speaker 1: They don't know their identity, they don't have.
Speaker 2: The confidence, then what kind of community are we building? What kind of community are living. So everything that we like Lisa said, that we put at that kitchen table, what.
Speaker 1: Did we make?
Speaker 2: Okay, my Haitian people, when we're when we're seasoning, when we're about to cook, because that's we're all familiar with cooking. That Mika, you offer me, right, you buy your meat, you clean your meat.
Speaker 1: You see that was your meat. Please wash your meat on it, she said, hot.
Speaker 2: Water, Then you put your seasoning and then you cook it. How what did I tell you? I gave you four five steps? Right yep, So when you are with human beings, there are four or five steps to be able to So guess what if you don't wash your meat, I'm not eating it.
Speaker 3: And listen where gets out in the street. Don't go to their house, they don't watch their meat. Trust when I tell you so. If you it passes down word in the streets.
Speaker 2: So, if you are creative, if we are putting out strong community and these individuals are missing three steps or three things, you understand what I'm saying. Whatever it could be mind, body, spirit, You're not emotionally connecting with them on that level or providing them resources for them when they go out in the community. To be emotionally intelligent, spiritually intelligent, mindfully intelligent. There's all these kind of different avenue physically intelligent because we want them to be healthy and to be able to live long and all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: If you are missing these steps, things gonna happen to your food. It's either not gonna be if.
Speaker 2: It's gonna stink because you ain't wash your meat. It's not gonna be if you it's not gonna taste right, if you don't cook it like it's all part of the recipe.
Speaker 3: People, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. And then all of these things. When you're sitting down and passing this knowledge on, you're also creating a bond, right. And then also to getting back to sisterhood women, your grandmother, your great grandmother, your mommy in the kitchen, everything that's the sisterhood. You're creating those bonds. That's what you're passing down to the next generation. Right, So when you pass that down to the next generations there, thank you, Cina Ellie. Then once once you're passing these down to the next generation and creating that bond and that sisterhood, you're also providing you're also giving women the confidence you're giving them and even your little boys that you have in the kitchen and you're passing down these recipes because the little boys they need to know these recipes too to keep their culture going as too. You're creating a sense of confidence too. That's another thing that people don't realize that comes with that, right, and with that confidence that you can bring to community, and that even gives people the confidence to be like, I can grow my community because I have the confidence I have something to share, I have something to bring to the table, right, And that's what it is at the end of the day, being able to come to the table with something and passing that down for the future to come. Because what we don't want is to lose that sense of community for the future, and we don't want to lose the sense of culture, pride, confidence. We need all of that in a bucket moving forward for the future because the future, the past is done, right, that's all we have left is the future.
Speaker 1: And you need to yeh. And we need to learn. We need to learn from all of it, and we.
Speaker 2: Need to, like you said, because we're building communities, whether they're strong or not.
Speaker 1: We're building communities regardless.
Speaker 3: Of small or big. Right, Yeah, even if it's they start off small and they will grow.
Speaker 1: But not only that, I'm talking about strong communities.
Speaker 2: We're building communities because you could be in a home environment and it's miserable. So we could build strong communities. Could either be thriving or not thriving. They could be successful or not successful. So regardless of how we're talking about, strength is the opposite. What's the opposite of being strong? So if we don't build strong community, what do you.
Speaker 1: Think we're building.
Speaker 3: Weak lens Ding ding.
Speaker 2: Ding Because we are still part of a community. However, we want to look at it for our children, for ourselves. If we're not doing something to build stronger communities, again, it doesn't matter. We also don't want people to feel like they need to do this big, grander thing.
Speaker 3: No, you don't need to be pav you don't need to be part your.
Speaker 2: Global You don't need to if that's not for you, you do not, Like I said, if it's sitting with an elder five minutes, if it's reading to kids, something small that you feel like you're even if you are a stay at home mom, and the best that you could do is to make sure that your children have all.
Speaker 1: The ingredients to be wonderful human beings. That is still larger. Building a strong community, your husband.
Speaker 3: Because these communities, these are safe places.
Speaker 1: Your home is taking care of.
Speaker 2: You're taking care of, You're making sure that what you're putting out and speaking over your family, over yourself.
Speaker 1: That is strong community.
Speaker 2: If you are strong your community and ever everything you come around is also going to be strong. So we every every It's like the Bible says it right. We are all part of a unit kind of. But the right hand and left hand are two separate entities, but it all works for one. So if you understand what I'm saying, I'm paraphraid and just like my English singer my Bibles parables.
Speaker 3: You got it, you know what.
Speaker 1: I just take it for what it is. Y'all know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: But yep, you got it.
Speaker 2: For all men, women, especially women, you know, not that jealousy and all that. Let let's not do that too, because I know sometimes we could be petty, we could be jealous, we could be and I.
Speaker 3: Know again we need and listen, we need again. I don't need to bring up all I'm gonna say is in twenty twenty five. We need each other and we need to I don't want to say foster those communities that are existing. We need to support the causes in those communities. Yeah, we need to. We need to lock in I don't know how to lock in people. That's what we need to do right now. And with the call to action, Yes, and we're having a call to action is to build a strength in the bonds in the community and in the Caribbean community and also the Caribbean American community. Yes, that's what we need to do. So b I'm gonna let you talk about the three tips this week that our d line and crew can help contribute to creating these stronger communities and bonds that we need so desperately in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, And you know we want to all sell.
Speaker 2: We want to ask you guys, like how do you stay connected with each other, with other Caribbean women to support the community. We give you guys a couple of examples, so let us know what other example that you guys have as well, other organization that you feel like we need to partner up with to build strong communities. Again, we give out a scholarship every year so we'd love to if you have any candidates that you feel qualify.
Speaker 1: There is a qualification process the follow.
Speaker 2: For you know, high school students, yo high school students to qualify. So definitely, again we're building communities, We're giving the next generation a guide to like something that we could to just continue the culture and stuff like that. So let us know if you do have a high school student or whatever that you think will qualify and that should we should consider for our scholarship whatever.
Speaker 1: Let us know.
Speaker 2: So our tip for this at Wonderful Building Strong Community episode is seek out Caribbean community organization like pH four Global, like the Visit Dominikua Buro of Visitors. You know, you could join social groups again, Instagram is a great place.
Speaker 1: Facebook is a great place.
Speaker 2: These organizations have these these pages, so go in there, like comments, share support them, share their stuff on filter Lining podcasts also.
Speaker 3: Join and we'll also list a few other Caribbean podcasts to women podcasts too. We'll share that also to as well.
Speaker 1: Right join social group, attend culture events.
Speaker 2: Like Lisa said, if it's kandaval mass, whatever it is, join those things because they do happen in the community. So if you feel comfortable going. Definitely go if you can support local restaurants, to support local resources where you can. I know I support my local businesses, my Haitian restaurants.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I love y'all for real.
Speaker 2: Volunteer like I said, your time. The other one is connect with other Caribbean women online. You know we've done that. Shout out to Rosie. Was it Rosie perspective? I think she's you know, yea started out she connected with us. I was also thank you to the Patient American Diaries. I was on their podcast a couple of seasons ago. Again, these are two female podcasts or content creators, so again we they're.
Speaker 1: All those concepts.
Speaker 2: So thank you for them for reaching out and we follow them and they have great you know, episode and stores that they share as well. So definitely that's one way for you guys to continue doing that. So online is in social media and then be a mentor to Caribbean women or in share your experience and offer guidance to the next generation, because that's very important. To make yourself available and be honest. Because one thing I would have to say is I love my mom to death.
Speaker 1: I love the women in my family and no shade to them. Nobody's perfect. I'm believe it at that, because that's gonna be another story. Continue to follow us for this season so you can hear the rest of that.
Speaker 3: Damn, We're just gonna leave them hanging just like that. I please thank you for tuning into this week's episode of the Unfiltered Linement podcast. We hope you enjoyed the conversation and gain some valuable insight. Don't forget to subscribe to the show so you can catch every new episode and leave us a review so we can continue to bring you fresh, exciting content. And if you have a topic you'd like us to discuss or story you'd like to share, please reach out to us via our website. Join us again the next thir for another Unfiltered conversation about the rich, diversity and complexity of the Caribbean American experience. Until then, keep exploring, keep learning, and keep celebrating the unique cultural heritage that makes us who we are. Unfiltered Lining is edited and produced by Unfiltered Limons