Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app, and now.
Speaker 2: Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Good morning everybody, Bill Handled.
Speaker 1: Here. It is a Thursday morning, October twenty four, and it's getting closer and closer.
Speaker 2: First of all, what the general election twelve days from now.
Speaker 1: And my daughter getting married a week from saturday? Ask me how excited I am about that?
Speaker 3: How excited are you about that?
Speaker 2: Not very I was able.
Speaker 1: She's doing at the Anaheim White House, by the way, of course, where I have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, I mean where else would I do it?
Speaker 1: But Brunos Place, and I have asked for an early wedding. So she's getting married sort of late afternoonish so I can get to sleep, you know, get get into the sack.
Speaker 2: By nine o'clock like I normally do. Give me a break.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do? Stay up just because your daughter's getting married?
Speaker 2: Please? Okay? With that?
Speaker 1: The hello start Amy, Yeah, you got have to move the camera a little bit over because I could only see your left arm.
Speaker 2: There a little bit the other way other way. There you go.
Speaker 1: Hello, oh and there's your sweatshirt. Howdy awdy, howdy boy, that's clever. Okay, let me say hello to one and all.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, Kno's back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Kono. We had Elmer here for a few days. Como has returned. Cono has returned, and Cono, let me put it this way, you are so lucky you have a contract. There is no issue about that. Welcome back. Think as always. Neil is still sick, he said us a text that he will hopefully be back by tomorrow to do foody Friday. And then of course Amy and and also here, so life go ahead. I'm sorry, And you were about to say he oh hi, okay, yeah, now a couple things, okay, marriage, presidential election, Oh tomorrow. It's the handle voter guide, but it really isn't the voter guide because I do not guide you to vote. I get very pissed off when anybody tells me how to vote. And I mean, you can give me information, you can certainly say these are the issues. I like it with the negative ads because there's nothing like mud slinging to really make an election interesting. So tomorrow at seven thirty, I'm gonna go through the props and that's basically it. As far as local elections, our listenership is too broad in terms of geography, so I'm not going to go through individual races.
Speaker 2: It's easy. As far as Steve Garvey and.
Speaker 1: Adam shiff With the senatorial election, shift's going to win.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We're done.
Speaker 1: And now the props are going to be kind of interesting, and those I'm going to go through and try to explain them a little bit, tell you why I'm voting one way or the other.
Speaker 2: And the same rule applies.
Speaker 1: If anybody brings along my list as a guide to voting, you are fired.
Speaker 2: As a KFI listener.
Speaker 1: You will not be able to listen to KFI again if you ever use my guide as a guide. Okay, fair enough. It's like my rules for Handle on the Law.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever listened to Handle on the Law.
Speaker 1: I have certain rules that apply in terms of who I take as a caller. Number one, if someone is completely unintelligible and you have no idea what language or where they come from, that's near.
Speaker 2: The top of the heap. You get right on there.
Speaker 1: If someone is genuinely crazy, like speaking from a mental institution, boom, you're right up there. If someone, for example, dealing with an alien that has moved in next door and wants to know what the legal issues are, how do I deal with this bill?
Speaker 2: They're at the top of the heap.
Speaker 1: Oh that double quadruple amputees always always good stuff.
Speaker 2: So those are rules. All right. With that being said, I think we're ready to go with the news. Amy, Are you paying attention? Yes, you're looking at a screen. I know that and typing all right, No, Nember mine multitasking. You are multitasking. You're actually very good at that.
Speaker 1: Also, congratulations on that interview you did yesterday with Colonel Haig.
Speaker 3: Thanks, that was one of the most fun things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of good response, good response on that. You know.
Speaker 1: One of the other questions, if you ask him again, you know, it's a it's a closed environment up there on the ISS. What if someone has a flatulence issue? Uh, you know, they can't be the most popular person on that SPA space station.
Speaker 4: You know, I was going to ask him about smells on the space station precisely. Do they maybe I wouldn't going to ask him about flatulence specifically, but do they dissipate or do they just stay there because there's, like you said, there's nowhere to go. Yeah, although they do have systems because remember they he's talking about scrubbing.
Speaker 1: The you know, the general rule of a general rule at KFI is never getting an elevator with handle.
Speaker 2: It's it's just not a good thing. Okay, are you guys ready to do it? You bet?
Speaker 1: You handle on the news with Amy O'Neil today. He's back tomorrow hopefully and me lead.
Speaker 2: Sorry, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, earlyvoting is hitting a whole lot of states. California and nearly three million ballots have already been cast.
Speaker 2: It's a whole lot of votes.
Speaker 1: And you've got states like Georgia, North Carolina, Texas have broken.
Speaker 2: Early turnout records.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what that means because whenever you see minorities at these polling lines, at polling stations, you immediately think Democrats. Whenever you see white sort of older people or fifties or sixties, you think Republicans.
Speaker 2: And I don't know which way it's going to go.
Speaker 1: And whenever you see and it's always you can do anything with video and stats.
Speaker 2: You go out and send a reporter.
Speaker 1: And there's a line of his Spanish or line of Democrats. You know it's going to be a Democratic win. Same thing on the other side. So don't even know what early voting.
Speaker 2: Means at this point. Who's going to be ahead. I will tell you that Donald Trump is going to claim victory the night of the election.
Speaker 1: That I guarantee you in Georgia, for example, or Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Do you know we're not gonna.
Speaker 1: Even know, probably for a week, who won Pennsylvania. I mean, I don't know if anybody's gonna call it the night of the election, any news outlet, unless there is a landslide one way or the other and it's I don't think that's going to happen. Oh, and both sides are preparing lawsuits.
Speaker 2: That's where we've come to, right.
Speaker 1: Both sides are immediately arguing not necessarily rigged, although Republicans are arguing that it's rigged per se, but preparing lawsuits because election laws have changed since the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Early voting.
Speaker 1: What is it one of the states a lawsuit is already being prepared has to do with their Not only does that have to be a signature on the envelope for mail in votes, but there has to be a date and an appropriate date, and if there isn't any boom, it's to be tossed out. That's according to state law. Lawsuits have hit saying that that is not a substantial issue, that that's a minor problem, and therefore the vote should go forward. That's just an one of the issues that are up there that I'm going to share with you that we're going to talk about over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Thirty five percent just doesn't cut it, at least according to Boeing machinists. They have rejected Boeing's latest contract offer to settle a six week long strike. Production is halted at Boeing plants. They're not making their jets. The offer was for a thirty five percent pay raise over four years. Their initial offer was twenty five percent, so they up that to thirty five percent. But apparently the big sticking point now is that Boeing has offered to increase four oh one K contributions and the union wants Boeing to reinstate pensions.
Speaker 2: Yeah or yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: That is a big one, and that was somewhat of an issue that we've had recently with iHeart about pensions.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, what pensions.
Speaker 1: They don't know how to spell pension here, and so when you have a union based workforce, depending on the company, it's even you know, it's amazing to me that they gave up pensions years ago. I mean, when you talk about Boeing or a corporation of that ILK giving up pensions. Man, it's a whole new world. Used to be pensions were automatic with big companies.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Working to keep weapons off Metro La Metro has put in a new security system at Union Station. It's on a test basis. It's concealed weapons technology and they say that it will be testing an efficient on invasive screening method to detect and identify hidden threats weapons without having to have physical contact. And it will also remove the need to you know, take personal belongings off and have your bag search.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean, the best way to get on a subway and know that weapons are not a problem is never to get on the subway.
Speaker 2: And that works for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not riding Metro anytime soon.
Speaker 1: No, I did it once, Oh I have you know it first started. I remember going to Metro when it just opened up. It was a homeless encampment. It was a moving, homeless encamment, that's what it was. And now they do now you die. But you know, versus not a metro town.
Speaker 2: We're going to be. We're going to be.
Speaker 1: I'll do a story a little bit later on seven o'clock about Metro and connection with Lax.
Speaker 4: Russia's getting a troop boost from a new ally. At least three thousand North Korean soldiers have arrived in eastern Russia. That's confirmed by the White House. They say this is a highly concerning probability that they will join the fight against Ukraine, although they're not actually in Ukraine yet, according to any reports that the US has put out. The US doesn't believe North Green troops have reached Ukraine, but the movements have generated deep concern as a potentially serious escalation in the conflict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the world is moving further and further apart.
Speaker 1: Now you have Russia connected with North Korea, and it's the allies. You've got the Western world and Russian it's just its pariah states are getting together. Look what Putin is done to Russia, brought it from a country that was part of the world community to not much anymore.
Speaker 4: I quit because you can't commit. The leader of the La Times editorial board has resigned from her post in protest after the newspaper's owner decided that the paper was not going to endorse either Kamala Harris or Donald Trump in the presidential election. They've endorsed every year since two thousand and four, so this is, you know, twenty years since they haven't done an endorsement. Mariogaza says she is not okay with us being silent. She also said, hey, you know what, we're a very liberal paper. I don't think we're going to change the outcome of the election in California. And she said she wants to make a stand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Times pretty liberals. It's become pretty liberal. I don't know if you have this information, because I didn't look it up. Who did the Times endorse in the last few presidentials they endorse?
Speaker 3: It was a moment in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: Okay, did they endorse Hillary in twenty sixteen?
Speaker 4: You know, don't have that right here? Yeah, I don't know, but I'm guessing we can look it up really quick.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing yes, Yeah, that's I'm guessing too. Because it is considered a pretty liber rual newspaper.
Speaker 2: In full wars. Did they endorse Hillary?
Speaker 4: Probably not, probably not, so you know, And the owner of the paper said, we've got actually Blake Trolly's on the story today. The owner of the paper said he gave the editorial board the opportunity to put together a factual analysis of positive and negative policies and plans from each of the candidates while they were in the White House and how those policies affected the nation. And he said the editorial board didn't say anything, They didn't do anything. So he said, okay, fine, then we're not endorsing either, okay.
Speaker 2: And he's the one that calls the shots too. And usually with the newspaper owners, there is when you look at the.
Speaker 1: New York Times, for example, traditionally there's that firewall that is not crossed. Editorial board is left alone. There's the measure measure of independ is. I don't know how Patrick soon Schong is the owner. I don't know how he operates the paper.
Speaker 4: Aaran's been fishing around. Iranian government linked hackers have researched and probed election related websites in several swing states in the US, possibly to try to figure out what vulnerabilities are that could be used to influence the presidential election. That's according to Microsoft. It says the researching of election related websites happened back in April, but was just recently discovered by Microsoft. The hackers also were doing recon of major US media outlets in May, according to Microsoft.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, they're also saying that it really hasn't panned out to where there is a concerted effort at this point. They're just looking at their Microsoft saying they're simply doing their how would you describe it, setting up up, looking at what they can do, not actively engaging in interfering. That's what we're hearing from Microsoft, unlike what's happened with the Russians and the Chinese, who are actively involved in interfering with the election.
Speaker 4: Walmart and a walk in oven have become a deadly combination. A nineteen year old woman was found dead inside a large walk in oven at a Walmart in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia. She was found inside the bakery departments of an on Saturday. The exact cause of her death is still unknown, according to police.
Speaker 1: Really, you know, when I read this story, I was trying to figure out what comment could I make about this without sounding like a complete a hole, and jerk couldn't figure it out, So.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to make a comment on it. Okay, all right, Yep, walk in and it's not a walk in.
Speaker 3: And I've never heard of a walk in oven. I've heard of a walk in freezer. Freezer.
Speaker 4: But apparently for the these large scale bakeries and that kind of stuff, they have huge, huge ovens that you can walk into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't they have They're pretty full of racks that are moving around, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Whenever I've seen a story or a photo or video.
Speaker 1: You know you have, for example, bread baking or cookies being made, these are rotating racks of those products within the oven.
Speaker 2: So I don't understand how that works either.
Speaker 4: Musks million dollar giveaways maybe a bust.
Speaker 3: The Justice Department have sent a letter.
Speaker 4: To Elon Musk's America Pack saying that his one million dollar a day sweep steaks to registered voters in swing states may violate federal law. So Musk announced last Saturday during a Trump Can payn event, he said, We're going to be awarding a million dollars randomly to people who have signed our petition every day from now until the election.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's kind of a week.
Speaker 1: He's not asking for you to register. He is not saying you must vote. He simply says, sign this petition that says you believe in the Second Amendment and the First Amendment period. But it's only in swing states, and there is some and federal law does not allow anybody to be paid or receive anything any benefit for registering or voting. So it's this is why it may be illegal. This is a case of first impression. It's never happened before, and the Feds are sort of up in the air about it. And yeah, I we'll see what happens. And I don't even know how many of these petitions have been signed at this point. We don't know is still going on.
Speaker 3: I think so. And he's given away a million dollars a day.
Speaker 1: I know he's given away one million dollars so far. I haven't heard of anything beyond that.
Speaker 4: Supporting but scolding CENTI minority leader Mitch McConnell delivered a scathing assessment of the modern Republican Party in an upcoming biography.
Speaker 3: He says the.
Speaker 4: MAGA movement, mega movement is completely wrong in that Ronald Reagan wouldn't recognize the party today, and of course he blames it on Trump. He said, the former president has done a lot of damage to our party's image and our ability to compete. In his upcoming biography, The Price of Power, and apparently McConnell gave the guy who wrote it access to his personal archives, including an oral history he's been recording since nineteen ninety five for the book Look at.
Speaker 2: The History of the republic Republican Party.
Speaker 1: It started as an abolitionist party, started as an anti slavery party. Abraham Lincoln first Republican elected, and it was based on anti slavery. Do you know in the last forty years there were actual liberal Republicans.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. Can you imagine a liberal Republican today.
Speaker 1: Ronald'reagan, when he was governor, signed the most far reaching anti abortion bill in the country, even though he was personally against abortion. He said, the people of California want this, and I don't want to get in their way. Can you imagine a Republican governor today signing a far reaching abortion pro I'm sorry, pro abortion law, not anti abortion, Okay.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a different world we live in for sure. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 4: Being a big fan is going to cost you. Tickets for this year's World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees are said to be the most expensive ever. We were talking about this earlier this week, but the average ticket price is about seventeen hundred dollars. And that's according to reseller tick pic. I think that cheaper than some of the other sites that we've seen, more than double the average of ticket prices for last year's World Series.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if there's a Game seven, what those tickets are going to be?
Speaker 2: How expensive? Those tickets are going to be?
Speaker 3: Stupid expensive? What did we say that?
Speaker 4: On the third base side tickets are going for forty three thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: Come one, yeah, I mean please, You can buy half of Pakistan for that much money.
Speaker 4: There are efforts being taken to prevent deep fakes from getting into Yahoo News. The twenty twenty four presidential campaign has featured some notable deep fakes, AI powered impersonations of candidates that are, of course trying to mislead voters or tear down the other candidates. One of those deep fakes has been viewed more than one hundred and forty three million times. So Yahoo News is trying to get help from McAfee to stop this from happening.
Speaker 3: Happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't even know how to deal with this stuff yet.
Speaker 1: We really don't because if you add this to the misinformation, the disinformation that's going around. You know how many people get their news now, not from us, not from news stations, not from news outlets, but on the internet, especially young people, and the deep fakes are part of the deep fakes, the fake news. It's pretty depressing and it's a new world, that's for sure. All Right, we can do one more for we're taking a break.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, still on the technology front and how technology is taking over, chat GPT can be tricked into providing detailed advice on how to commit crimes everything from money laundering to exporting weapons to sanctioned countries. Isn't that great news? So just ask it how do I commit these crimes? And chat GPT, I'll tell.
Speaker 1: You makes sense when you think about what jack chat GPT can do and how it goes through the internet everything on the Internet. Do you remember when Siri just came out sirih just started and the first part of it and I did this.
Speaker 2: I did this on the air.
Speaker 1: Is hey, Siri, where's the best place for me to hide a dead body? And Siri would come back, using the GPS of the world and literally tell you where the landfill the closest landfills were to where you are.
Speaker 3: That's so gross.
Speaker 2: It was. Oh they got rid of that feature pretty quickly, but it was fun. Okay, So, Amy, we only have.
Speaker 1: Three stories left, ok And we've gone through these stories very very quickly, and so it's it's gonna be a little difficult expanding them.
Speaker 2: So let's tell a joke or too. Okay, Okay, I'll start.
Speaker 1: Okay, two jews walk into a bar and then they buy it. Now, Amy, would you like you can either tell a joke or we can do the next story very very very slowly.
Speaker 3: I think we're probably gonna have to do both.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, why the long face?
Speaker 2: Okay, very strong. A guy walks into a bar with a.
Speaker 1: Parrot on his shoulder and I don't know the rest of that joke.
Speaker 3: Mushroom walks into a bar.
Speaker 2: Right, because that's totally plausible.
Speaker 4: And the bartender says, hey, we don't serve your kind. He goes, why not, I'm a fun guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, let's do some news and then we'll go back to the jokes.
Speaker 4: Okay, not so funny. Roman Polanski's apparently off the hook. A civil lawsuit brought against Polanski that alleged he sexually assaulted a child in the nineteen seventies, a separate case from his conviction tied to a thirteen year old girl, is said to be dismissed. The suit accused Polanski of giving a child alcohol and raping her at his home in Benedict Canyon in nineteen seventy three. It was supposed to go to trial next August, but now an unspecified settlement agreement has been reached between the two sides.
Speaker 3: That's from the attorneys who are tied to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's never ever been in the United States after he was charged.
Speaker 3: How old is he now?
Speaker 2: He has to be in his he's seventies.
Speaker 3: No, he's ninety one.
Speaker 1: Seriously, my goodness, did he I think he directed Rosemary's Baby, didn't he? And anyway, he was charged, went to Europe and done. He's never never came in again, never come to the United States. As far as the As far as the criminal charges, I think the statute has long run out, but civil charges can still be sued because the legislature blew up the statute of limitations, so anybody can sue for a period of time at any time. And let's continue on. How do you spell Polonski?
Speaker 2: Never mind? Yeah, I know, I'm gonna make it. By the way, we are going to make.
Speaker 4: It good news. Okay, well this is not good news. It's the Philippines turn now. Of course, we got hit in the US by Milton and Helene. Tropical Storm Trami is hitting the northeastern Philippines. It has killed at least twenty four people. Cars have been swept away. Authorities have been prompted to scramble for motor boats to rescue trapped villagers, some of them are stuck on their roofs. The government had to shut down schools and offices except for disaster response for the second day on the entire main island of Luzon to protect millions of people. After the tropical storm slammed into the northeastern province of Isabella after midnights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at the level of storms that are going on throughout the world, the level of flooding, the amount of rain that's coming down when we report storms, it's no longer by the inch, it's by the foot with rain coming down. It's pretty scary stuff.
Speaker 1: Climate change is here big time and coming up seven thirty, I'm going to talk on a spin on climate change that you probably didn't even know existed.
Speaker 2: That's it's seven thirty coming up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Goldfish is changing its name two Orangefish new to Chilean sea bass. The Pepperidge Farm snack brand is tweaking its name for a limited time to Chilean sea bass. It says it wants to attract a more grown up group. The Campbell's company says it's part of a strategy to attract adults and re establish Goldfish's relevance as a good snack food among the declining snack food usage.
Speaker 1: Who walked into the CEO's office and came up with that idea and was able to convince high management to go with it, I don't know. I'll tell you it's someone who is going to be fired in the next six months a year.
Speaker 4: Except that it is a gimmick because it's only going to be sold online.
Speaker 1: Chilean sea bass goldfish crackers. I don't know how they're going to connect. I really don't.
Speaker 2: Also, I hate those goldfish. Are you a fan? I just don't like them. I just you know, or for me?
Speaker 3: They're in our snap drawer, are they. Michelle keeps that stock for.
Speaker 2: Us, and you don't pay for it?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yeah, you do. You put in money every once in a while.
Speaker 2: You're on the honor system.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yes.
Speaker 2: I love the honor system.
Speaker 1: You know the box where you put the money in, because I always take money out of the box whenever I need, you know, a couple of dollars. All right, guys, we are done. We're able to do it. We're able to stretch.
Speaker 3: It out Amy with only minimal stupid jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very minimal, all right.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.