Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of April twenty eighth, we're continuing with Lost season two, episode nineteen sos, in which we are reunited with Bernard and Rose, who we have seen only fleeting. Since they were reunited, we got their backstory, We got to find out that Bernard is really kind of a lot And although honestly, from a parenting point of view, have I been the person who says I have to try everything.
Speaker 3: It's on me, me, me, I have.
Speaker 1: To do everything that is possible to try get out of my way. Person who's directly affected by this relate to Bernard more than I want to.
Speaker 2: Will you also be the one out there with dragging rocks from place to place?
Speaker 1: I think my family would say, yes, yep, that tracks.
Speaker 3: Oh poor.
Speaker 1: I mean you have to feel sorry for him for trying to do something and being so resoundingly rejected. But on the other hand, buddy, buddy, listen to yourself, will you please?
Speaker 2: And as I said last week, now we're trying this now, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and you're all too comfortable. Stop being comfortable. Yes, let's do this is completely probably useless.
Speaker 2: Stop building a tax church. We need to get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But I as I was as watching, as I was thinking, I think the island healed Rose. The island healed Rose, right, So that's why Rose is just fine about stacking groceries because she will ever leave, right. And yes, indeed that did turn out to be the case. And she also knows Locke's secret, right, So that was kind of enjoyable the way all that came together.
Speaker 4: Right, and they haven't been like I think it was assumed or implied that they had been together a very long time, and then you find out, no, not really, it hasn't been that long.
Speaker 1: It's not this long love story. It's just you know, hey, we're newlyweds.
Speaker 3: I'd like to get back together.
Speaker 1: Right, And the Lost Peda said something about earlier on Rose. It said that my husband always has him has me hold his wedding room when we fly. But this is like the only time thing.
Speaker 2: Right, they've been on two flights together or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so who knows whatever, right, little Red Conning, that's fine. Yeah, this is another one of those episodes where all of a sudden, there's all these people we have.
Speaker 2: Know, you've never seen these people before.
Speaker 1: And they're throwing out names of all these people, right, and it's like, who are these.
Speaker 2: They were also Rogert, Yeah, they were in the in the in the last one too, like oh, we found some food in the jungle. All of a sudden, there's like fifteen people running towards.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, yeah, yes, oh well, I guess having an extra. If you're an extra on this show and just every now and then they may need to pull you in for a crowd scene. Do they put you up in Hawaii. Do you get to just hang around there for uh and not work but just a little or are they all reapartment?
Speaker 2: Are they Hawaiian locals?
Speaker 3: Who? Oh that just jump in.
Speaker 1: That would make sense, right, that would make sense the local branch of the Hawaiian Actors Associations. You got a lot of a lot of work, got some work.
Speaker 2: Out of it. Yeah, good for them, Happy for you, yep. And we found out what mister Echo is building, which is a church.
Speaker 3: And Charlie who is saving people.
Speaker 4: Right, Charlie known altar boy, is is helping.
Speaker 1: I get this feeling that Charlie will just help anybody who will have him.
Speaker 2: Right, be nice to me for a half a second, and I am yours.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me to go away, and I am right. You don't scream at me to go away, as he's been the case in some get But so good for him, you know what he has.
Speaker 3: He's not just gone off by himself.
Speaker 1: He's offering his services to whoever will tolerate him.
Speaker 3: Right, good man.
Speaker 1: He probably could have carried rocks if it came to that.
Speaker 2: But right he was like, I'm not gonna I'm not going to mess up a good thing I got going here with mister Echo. You can't get me to change right now.
Speaker 1: Right, But but if you're still doing it later.
Speaker 2: Right after we're done with this entire structure, then maybe I'll think about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I enjoyed Bernard saying to mister Echo, I think I liked you better when you just hit people with yourself.
Speaker 2: I did think that was a little bit mean.
Speaker 3: Bernard's kind of intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you said, we want that guy to be my dentist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like, ooh, sick Burn, you're a dentist, Bernard. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trouble in Paradise in Paradise there. I've been thinking in this one that whoever writes Sawyer's dialogue, I don't know if it's just a group effort or if there's some person who's in charge of Sawyer. They had themselves a good time. Got trouble down at the sand Factory, normal Ray.
Speaker 2: The nicknames. I mean, yes, there's like at least three her episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jack was doctor Giggles this time.
Speaker 2: Yes, they gotta come up something. Every time.
Speaker 1: They must just have a like a board up in the writer's room. And and uh, every time somebody thinks of Yeah, here's something nicknames.
Speaker 2: We'll save it for later. H mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And uh so in our.
Speaker 1: Other plots here, Henry not Henry is not talking as why would he why would he give any of them the satisfaction of answering their questions? Come on, Yes, He'll just just gonna sit there and smile, sister, And he knows the camera is on him.
Speaker 5: I was watching Amazing Race and I happened to be watching it with commercials, and they had they had commercials for that show, Elsbeth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with his wife, the Carrie Preston.
Speaker 2: Carrie Preston's his wife is yeah, okay, because he's in an episode coming up. He's like the baddie in an episode. And I was like, oh, look at him. He's still he still has that look on his.
Speaker 3: He does that very well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did not realize they were married. Yeah, he's gonna be an upcoming episode or maybe a recent episode.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You can't get a job on your wife's wife's show, That's what I wonder if she was on what was the name of the series that he had person of interest.
Speaker 3: Ah, he was in.
Speaker 1: Very good in that, but that he was a good guy Okay, well that's a little change up.
Speaker 2: He doesn't seem to be a good guy. And in his guest appearance on Elsbeth.
Speaker 6: Just know.
Speaker 3: Exercising those evil muscles, you know.
Speaker 2: So look out for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Locke was trying to recall and recreate what he saw on the on the door.
Speaker 3: Yes, when it was crushing his leg.
Speaker 2: So he didn't get too far. But no, he did feel better after talking to Rose. She has that effect on.
Speaker 3: People, Yes, she does.
Speaker 1: Jack gets this idea that he's going to do the thing that not Henry said about swapping him for somebody else, and he and Kate go out into the jungle to go to the line of confrontation and offer not Henry in return for Walt not Michael. No, we don't care about him, but Walt.
Speaker 2: I guess they figure where where Walt go, Michael, we'll follow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyway, on the way, they get caught in a net.
Speaker 2: That was so like slapstick it curly was.
Speaker 1: It's like, we need to satisfy the Jack Kate shippers without ticking off the Kate Sawyer shippers. So we'll just put them in a position where it looks like they're going to be romantic, but they're actually just got in and that was silly. And also Jack, you know, Jack, mister, I know how to do everything. Everybody should listen to me. If you know somebody's gonna get caught in a net, don't runs to try to get them. Stop, stand off to the side, let them get caught, laugh at them then, and then get them out. What does it help for both of you to be in the net?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: Come on, his his jungle survival skills are not what he makes them out to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which we knew.
Speaker 1: And also Russo just puts random toy baby dogs. I know they like to take babies. Maybe they'll buy this, Maybe they'll think, oh, look there's a baby just all by itself in the jungle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so realistic, looking.
Speaker 2: Where did she get that baby?
Speaker 1: But well, only dumb castaways are going to go for that. Yeah, so far, and you got back and Kate, Oh silly, silly. But then when they finally do they get to the place and nobody's there, and they waited out in the rain, and finally they get somebody tossed to them, but not Walt Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael does not look all that well for wear. No, but and just shortly before, Michael, we had a Vincent siding there is that Like, was that supposed to be foreshadowing?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sawyer was just sitting there doing something and all of a sudden, Vincent walks up yep, out of nowhere dog.
Speaker 8: And Sawyer, because he's deep down a good person, question Mark gives Vincent a piece of his food and a pet.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, yeah, where's that dog?
Speaker 1: Ben? What's that dog been doing? Sure that dog's not another Maybe they cloned him and this is like the evil Vincent. Oh yeah, but anyway, Michael, Michael.
Speaker 6: Yeah, do you suppose next week we'll get to find out what he's beIN up to or will they just like, wait a couple of weeks then be like, oh yeah, Michael, I will.
Speaker 1: Not say because I know, all right, next week's kind of a memorable episode.
Speaker 2: Oh it is, okay, it is, yes, Well, we are approaching the end of the.
Speaker 1: Season, that's right, Yes they are. They are putting the chess pieces into place for the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Parenting wise, you know when when Sawyer thought Jack was asking him to go on the dangerous mission, right, and then he's asking kit instead. I was thinking, you know what, kids, sometimes it's good to not be the person.
Speaker 3: Stupid in a jungle.
Speaker 1: Yes, when you're not included, ask yourself, Do I really want to do that thing?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Or do I just want to do that thing because people I perceive as being cooler or better than me, or think they're better than me, are doing it?
Speaker 3: Am I just posturing?
Speaker 1: Or do I really want to do it? And if I don't really want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be happy for your your freedom to sit around your tent and call people silly nicknames and feed the dog and.
Speaker 1: All the If all the kids are off due going off to do something stupid and you get left behind, maybe a little bit of a win. I remember, my daughter. I think I'm remembering this correctly. There was this tradition in the band that on Thanksgiving, the night before thanks the Thanksgiving game the next day, the juniors would go tepee the seniors houses children. Tee being is a thing they used to do when when toilet paper was not a precious commodity. We just threw it at people's trees and at their houses, and it got all wet, and it was a thing of beauty.
Speaker 3: But apparently the.
Speaker 1: Year she was my daughter was a junior, they left her out. They were talking about it, and she got on Facebook so she could tell them she could do it or whatever, and they just did it without her, and they did too good a job, and they messed up the senior's house too much and they all got in trouble. So it's like, oh, okay, darn the luck I was left out of that. I wasn't there, you know, Sometimes, yeah, it's a good thing, right. Also, parenting wise, with their situation with Henry, sometimes you have to give people an incentive to speak, especially with kids with disabilities, but really just any kid, you know, as we discussed last week with food and toileting, speaking is another thing where they have all the cards right. You can't make them talk, but you can give them reasons to want to talk. They do not seem to be giving not Henry reasons to know, and so he can just happily sit there with his evil grin that nobody can see. But you know, that's a thing to think about as a parent too. If you can create incentives, right, the care is over the stick exactly, because the stick ain't going to get you anything. You can't You can't reach down their throat to their voice box and squeeze out words. You have to make them want to say it, right, So, if it's to tell you what's happened, or to agree to something or whatever, think about how to make it appealing rather than depend on their their love and desire to please you to make things happen.
Speaker 3: They don't desire it that much exactly, And.
Speaker 2: That is like an extra layer of disappointment if.
Speaker 4: That does it is it is, but don't you love meybe not that method.
Speaker 3: It's also.
Speaker 1: Parenthetically, if you have a kid who doesn't talk, if you can and find out independently what happened and then, like you know, give a full in the blanks opportunity, right, that is helpful too. I so very much miss having para professionals when my kids are in school that I could go to and say, so, what really happened, so that I can talk to the kid about this and know what answers I should be getting and lead ask leading questions.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard when you don't have that and you just have to sit outside the locked room and go.
Speaker 2: Talk today, tell me something, did you do this thing?
Speaker 1: That you said you didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no.
Speaker 1: No no no. Also, as previously mentioned, if someone is heading toward a trap, don't join them. Ye, that is something that all to a happens with kids, especially maybe teenagers. You know, I must go to this person and tell them not to do this extremely dangerous thing they're doing, even if it means doing that extremely dangerously myself. No stand off way exactly, don't hop on the too fast motorcycle to tell them that they need to stop riding their motorcycle.
Speaker 3: Well, so many lessons to learn, that's right.
Speaker 1: Also, for example, when they were trying to get not Henry to talk, did he know that there are Dharmer brand potato chips? Darmer brand potato chips. Now, maybe maybe he would have talked for some of those. Yeah, some Darmer brand goldfish. There's probably more cereal.
Speaker 3: I bet there's more.
Speaker 1: Serially, like cereal and milk. It was their milk.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it would happen. Wouldn't it have to be like powdered milk or something.
Speaker 1: It would have to be unless the others have a dairy over on their side.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would put nothing past the story needs a dairy. There will be a good dairy. Oh well, next week, Yes, we'll continue with season two, episode twenty of Lost.
Speaker 3: Two for the road.
Speaker 1: What do we think those two are? And uh yeah, this is a memorable episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 1: Necessarily remember every one of these, but I remember what happens in this one, and I've been wondering when that was going to come along.
Speaker 3: So hey, Michael, Michael's back.
Speaker 2: Michael's back.
Speaker 3: What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: And that is, by the way, an Ana Lucia flashback episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, despite your mentioning.
Speaker 1: Of Michael, Yeah, well yeah, okay, you'll see why. All right, we'll see you back here tomorrow to discuss running point. Maybe if they dropped like big shipments of generic food at the basketball games, that would be an exciting one. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years