Speaker 1: Big Food and be On with Cliff and Bubo.
Speaker 2: These guys are your favorites, so light say subscribe and raid.
Speaker 3: It five stock and listening watching limb always keep its watching.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo and Matt. Although Bobo is not here currently, he's running it behind. We are expecting him shortly, so uh, you know, hang out for a little while and the Bobes will show up. That's kind of how we run around here. But anyway, Yeah, Matt is here.
Speaker 3: Hello, Matt.
Speaker 4: How you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. How you doing? Cliff? I'm all right.
Speaker 2: I was just down down in the outbuilding, you know. I'm working on that dedicated room for the footprint cast. My cast collection has outgrown my garage, so I got to do something.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be.
Speaker 2: Done by the time you're here though, for squatch Fest this week or next week or whenever that is, but looking forward to getting it all complete.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be pretty great.
Speaker 1: If it's not done, I'm gonna call the whole thing off. You might have to is the outbuilding haunted by the ghost of Bobo's trailer.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think. I think I think that left with Bobo actually and the trailer. Yeah, the spirit of the trailer. I'm not sure there was much spirit left in that trailer by the time you dragged it away. Actually, does it haunt your dreams?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I just feel like, you know, like when you clean a room and you just feel the chief flow, like like the fun shwai is just better that. That's how my whole life is a moment is in Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's a way of life around here. But yeah, I'm looking forward to getting that. I'm framing it up and you're gonna do some dry wall or something in there. We're gonna increase the storage. There's gonna be a work bench. I'm gonna have a place to u not not like a tool work bench that'll be like outside in the outbuilding proper, but you know, some sort of like cast work bench where I can do my cast pouring and all that sort of stuff in there. You great lightings for examining the data and then the evidence and stuff. Yeah, it's gonna be great. I've got a lot of cool plans for this really looking forward to getting going. And on top of it all, I might be able to park my car in the garage for the first time in my adult life. Yeah, because my cast have always taken up the spot, you know, which would be great because I don't know if I talked about this in the podcast, but my car leaks like crazy. It's insane and this, you know, I happen to live at the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time, so my car is just perpetually wet on the inside, which is kind of a bum out.
Speaker 3: Oh that's odd because it's not that old of a vehicle.
Speaker 2: Well, it's eleven years old. I bought it, I remember December thirtieth, twenty thirteen, so it's like eleven twelve years old now.
Speaker 1: So well, my vehicle's twenty five years old, so I guess comparatively, yours feels just so brand.
Speaker 3: New, brand spanking new.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'll tell you what, maybe I won't and come get you from the airport and you to go what is this? What is this?
Speaker 3: So you know it's terrible. Is twenty five years considered vintage? I think?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: So I can now say I drive a vintage automobile.
Speaker 2: I suppose, yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what the where the cutoff is. We'll say twenty five. It's fun. We did get an interesting email that came in.
Speaker 1: So last week's episode it dropped yesterday as we're recording today. Because I like alliterative titles, it was our topical episode, so I titled it Fossil Footprints, Savage Squirrels and Decorative Drones. Since today's a Q and A episode, you know, I go in the email make sure I've got all the most current questions, and so I just went back into the email to double check see if anything had come in last minute, and we had an email that just came in from John Rudolph, and he said, just listen to the episode. I live in Weatherford, Texas, and I've personally witnessed the squirrels around here, hunting, chasing down, killing, and eating from the head down to the body large what I call tree squirrels. It's not often seen and unknown if it's a territorial thing, are actually a diet for them. I last saw this behavior in twenty fifteen, a year before my youngest was born. Love the show, keep up the good work. One of my faves to listen to Bigfoot and Beyond Forever. So thank you John for sending that in. I thought, that's that's got to be a pretty wild thing to see.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's crazy, man, that's crazy. But you know, this is kind of one of the things that there's a parallel here, you know, because this guy John, he knew about this, he's seen it.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: And then now the scientists are finally catching up, you know, because we something that's unlooked for, much like our hairy friends in the woods. You know, the local people know about them, the native people who lived amongst them know about them. You know, people who've seen them know about them, all that sort of stuff, and we're just kind of waiting for the scientists to catch up in a way, you know.
Speaker 1: And we have to contend with the fact that a new threat has emerged, and it's yet another thing to be watchful for. Is the savage squirrels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I seeking carnivorous squirrels that could change everything. Yeah, Luckily, I think the squirrels know they're small, which nice and not like a chihuahua, because chuahuas don't know they're small. But squirrels I think know they're there, they're prey item, so they kind of stay out of our way. But you know, if we had a say, a I'm not sure what they'd call a pod, a tribe, a troop of like say, burrowing chihuahuas that were carnivorous nearby, there'd be problems.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I can attest to that firsthand. Yeah, you go to Chiuala, right, Yeah, and it was it was evil. Yeah, I remember Bobo never liked that thing.
Speaker 3: It was fearless.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing I saw Bobo be legitimately terrified to the point that it would just enter a room and stare at him. And I'd be upstairs and he would yell for me, and he'd be like, bro it, bro get in here, and I'd run, you know, thinking of those wrong.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, what's wrong, and he'd.
Speaker 2: Go, he's looking at me, he's looking at me. Well, it is a Q and A. Should we jump into it and just let Bobo pick up wherever he shows up?
Speaker 3: We should? We only got one voicemail.
Speaker 1: You know this this tends to happen every year, like right around the holidays, like Christmas in New Year, the questions slow down a bit. So we've got one voicemail and a number of written questions, and then a lot of great questions from our members for the membership section. So I figure since we have a smaller batch of questions new questions, submitters here are lucky in that we can give a little bit more time than usual to these questions. Because usually I aim for ten and doing an hour long podcast, we have to spend only so much time on so many, but with the smaller number we can spend a little bit more time. But we can start with the voicemail here that has a question for you and a comment for Bobo, And so if Bobo joins, I'll just play in the comment portion and he can respond to it. But this is a perennial question that we get often. We did address it once with help from a special guest on a members episode, but it'd be good to address on the main show here.
Speaker 5: So here goes Hi Cleff, Hi Bobo, Hi Matt. This is Christina, one of your biggest fans. I have been to the museum a couple times. I would listen to the podcast all the time, hoping to make it to the museum again this year, and I'm currently watching Finding Bigfoot for the first time. I have one question for Cliff, a serious question, because you used to be a teacher. Is it bigfoot or bigfoots? I need to know the answer to this because it drives me insane. And Bobo, I'm watching season seven right now, and your facial expressions when Bobcat was doing the scream when he was on an episode was hysterical. I have to pause because I'm laughing so hard.
Speaker 2: Classic.
Speaker 5: I also listened to the episode this week with Nick Groff and Bobo mentioned doing a collaboration with him for Paranormal and Sasquatch, wondering if that ever happened, or if there is a chance that it will ever happen. Love you guys, keep it up. You guys have literally changed my life. I'm grateful for everything you do.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just asked this in the museum a couple weeks ago, actually, and let me just say this that I'm not sure there's any official correct way of doing it. I think I believe that the correct way to say plural bigfoots would be bigfoot, just like you know, if I say there's thirty five thousand bear in Oregon. Yeah, I use the singular as the plural as well, but I might also say there's three bears down in that valley. But you can also say three bear down in that valley. So I think the official I think the correct maybe not official, because you know who's the authority here on this sort of thing, But I think that the correct way would be bigfoot. Plural of bigfoot is probably bigfoot, but I don't I purposefully don't do that because one of the worst of misunderstandings about sasquatches is that Bigfoot is one individual and he has been seen from Florida to British Columbia for hundreds of years. And of course that's ridiculous. But you know, picture yourself as a civilian, you know, someone who knows nothing about sasquatches and bigfoots, and like that kind of thing is not important to you, and you've never given it two thoughts. You just think of Bigfoot as this sort of cartoonish character depicted by the media, because that's what the media feeds the public. Unfortunately about the subject. You would think that, oh, well, Bigfoot's ridiculous. All Bigfoot researchers are ridiculous because there's no way that one animal could be living for hundreds and hundreds of years all over the continent. That doesn't make any sense, like a Paul Bunyan sort of thing, you know what I mean. So in order to help dispel that myth, that ridiculous model of what is going on with the big foot phenomenon, I purposefully say bigfoots. I don't say big feet, of course, because that would pluralize the appendage the foot, the foot itself, foot feet, So I say bigfoots, and of course sasquatches. That's much easier. I prefer sasquatches. Actually, that took big foots, so that's where that's where I'm coming from. So the proper is probably bigfoot or there are you know, this family group has three big foot in it, or this family group has three sasquatch in it. But I say sasquatches and I say big foots in order to help get rid of that ridiculous notion that there's only one creature and his name is bigfoot. So God, I hope that helped answer some of that question. That's why I prefer sasquatches. John Green always stylized the plural as sasquatches with an ees at the end of it. So I think if John Green formalized it, then that's good enough for me.
Speaker 3: There you go, and here's Bobo, Bobo. Welcome man. How you doing?
Speaker 4: All right? How's it going with you guys? All right?
Speaker 2: All right, just kind of plugging along, man, plugging along in life, getting ready for things. Yeah, well, Bob, did you get a chance to listen to that voicemail?
Speaker 4: Yeah, blew me away. That's there's some mighty high praise in there. And then as far as the Bob Can thing, I don't remember making anything. I haven't seen that episode in shoot ten years or something, but I was probably making faces like because he just sucked at it. I guess yeah, CLIPI that we fill those behind the scenes episodes. They only showed him like one time, like after the show is a special, like at like eleven o'clock at night at a Sunday, and almost no one saw. But we had a great behind the scenes with Bobcat. I kind of got off on the wrong foot with him, but we ended up the advities that what it's all said and done. He's a great dude. He's hilarious, he's funny. He's funny, like I just I hated his whole Police Academy character, that whole like that whole thing, like I couldn't stand it. He was like my least favorite comic. And then I found out what a study was. I was like, man, this guy's he's a badass. And as far as Nick m Nick Roth thing, he ended up sending a new contract for something else and he went like he was fully busy, and then he had a new baby and the timing wasn't good. It didn't work out. I don't know, maybe in the future maybe I don't know, it's they're kind of that'd be kind of it could work. It could definitely work.
Speaker 3: But it like it kind of KOOKI we live in a kookie world over here.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I think the I think like the ghost people would be like, you know, like they'd be on that squatch on the BRN everything's a squatch thing or like everything's a ghost when it's a squatch or you know what I mean, Like, yeah, who knows how it'd go, you know, like it'd be interesting. I think it'd be fine, but I don't know how productive it would be. I think, what do you think limally kind of mixing like oil and water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't, I don't. I think the further away bigfoot stays and bigfooters stay from paranormal stuff, probably the better, I would think, the better for sasquatches at least. Now, if you were just brought on to go ghost hunting or something like that, that's different, or if he was brought on to go bigfooting. I don't know. I don't know, because a lot of the paranormal people think the ghost folks that think that bigfoot is paranormal in some sort of way, and they'd be looking.
Speaker 4: Right right right, because they're paranormalists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's that's what they know.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: You know, it's kind of like when when I watched when I watched Hellier, you know, Greg and Dana.
Speaker 3: Knwkirk's thing, right, I was thinking of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they were out there on that porch and if you remember this episode where they were out on the porch in Kentucky somewhere looking for goblins or whatever ridiculous thing they were after out there, and they had knocks from the woods, and they heard stuff walking around sounded like on two legs. They had pebbles being thrown at them while on the porch, and what did they do? I think it was Dana, but I could be wrong. They put on the god helmet, that's what they called it, where they put earphones on that pumpy white noise or you know, random radio signals or whatever, and they covered their eyes. They basically shut down all of their senses so they couldn't observe the sasquatch because they wanted paranormal stuff to happen. And I was just so just like what you had, probably had a real sasquatch right there, and you covered your eyes and ears to And of course when I saw them, Greg and Dan are my friends. I really really like them a lot. You know, they're wonderful, wonderful people. So when I saw them one of these gigs that we were doing together, I heckled him and said, what are you doing? You could you might have been able to see it or photo are you had cameras there, you had night vision? But no, you covered your eyes and your ears. And they were laughing and they thought it was funny.
Speaker 4: Like the monkeys, the three monkeys see no squats, hear no squatch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, I love them though they were just at the museum a couple of weeks or about a month ago and now I guess or maybe October. No, it was October is Halloween. Actually they before Halloween.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just kind of I was kicking around with Nick more just because like I enjoy hanging out them so much. He's such a fun dude and cool and funny. And I was like, they were talking about like these places and he goes like, and you know, like that there's definitely squatches there, and I was like, yeah, you know, we could. Then. I think it was Lee and Jennifer's idea that creepy people our managers because we had the same managers, and I think it was their idea more at first, and I was like, I was like, that could be cool, you know, I was all, you know, then Nick got busy. I was I was like, yeah, maybe it's not the best idea, but people would have liked it. I know that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 1: So that was the one and only voicemail. But we can move on to the written questions. And I pulled this one up because it was a lovely sentiment in it. But also we get questions of this nature very often, and I don't think we've ever outlined this specifically on the show, so it might be good for future inquiries too.
Speaker 3: Would you like to read it, Bobo?
Speaker 4: Sure? Nicole message on Nicole. The format of that says Nicole message, It says name Nicole message. She writes, Hey, guys, We've been a fan of the show for a long time and have had the roughest last two years that you could ever imagine. You guys are always a considerate, a consistent safe place for us, and we appreciate you guys so much. Is there any way to pay for a meet and greet with you conferences?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean that that's the only way you can pay. Are you going to come to the museum and meet me? I mean that's an option too. I suppose, depending on where you live, you may have to pay to do that. I'm not sure, you know. Right now, I'm covering weekends at the museum until where we hire a new employee, whenever that is. But even when we hire the new employee, and I don't technically have to cover hours any longer, you know. I don't have a true schedule, and my employees are covering all the shifts. I'm still at the museum probably three to six days a week for a couple hours. You know, I'm there all the time doing something, dropping by and checking this and that, or you know that kind of thing. So hit and miss at the museum is the best way to catch me, or at a conference where you know I'm going.
Speaker 4: To be Yeah, I'm going to do it. I'm looking to do a few tours this summer, like a few expeditions, so if you sign up for one of those, but that's that's a lot more expensive than a conference.
Speaker 1: And once those get lined up, we'll post that link. And I have to make that caveat because every time you mentioned something like that, but what we get emails for moments and people like where can I sign up for Bobo's expedition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna do it with prut North Georgia. I tell you that, pru it.
Speaker 1: That is a frequently asked question, like some version of that. But Bobo is on cameo if you wanted a personalized message, So I will, for the third time put Bobo's cameo link in the show. Notes for you, dude.
Speaker 4: When you put that in last time, Pruit, I got so many of you, I was having trouble keeping up.
Speaker 3: We have tens of thousands of listeners. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was great. I'm not complaining. I'm saying that was awesome. I got a sore throat from doing on the other day. These guys they I messed up their first one, and then they they I redid it. They liked it, but they wanted a bigfoot, like a full like ohioh. And I was like, I can't thrash my You gotta pay a lot more than twenty bucks for me to thrash my lungs, right. It hurts my throat for hurts for weeks, you know, I can't talk right. I'm like, yeah, these that costs a lot more. You know, that's for TV stuff or something like that. I busted went out. I felt, you know, like with your throat. You guys both song it's like that you push it too far, just like you feel it just that whatever. I don't know how to explain it, but you get that little pain come in like you just know you strange it a little too much.
Speaker 3: Starts sounding like Bobby Brady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that in the field, Like if I if I'm out for a week and I'm howling like on a nightly basis by like you know, night five, night six, I'm like, oh, yeah, Well, here is the next written question. And it's specifically for Cliff, but I think we can all probably like weigh in on this because it's a it's a good question, and it's a pragmatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the question comes from Paolo Tourette. Cliff, when you're logging footprints at the Blueberry Bog or Easter Island, et cetera, do you log the directions of travel and create vectors to see if any potential cross crossover points crop up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do, actually, yeah yeah. When I when I'm really in there documenting well and stuff, I take GPS coordinates, I take I take a direction to travel. I take five six seven photographs. I take a video if I can, I take a scan, I take a cast. I do everything I can think of basically, you know, I write down the measurements and that sort of thing. I don't always do it because if there's a trackway, I might just take the general direction of the trackway. Like for example, I did some documentation. Last June, I think it was Shane Corson and I went out together to one of our new locations, and that's not any it's not the Bog, it's not it's not Easter Island or anything. We call it the Outer Rim because it's so far away and it takes a long time to get down there. But but there's a there's some sasquatches there, you know, and we we we found quite a few tracks. I think we came back with eight tracks in one day, eight prints, eight casts, I should say casts, and one of the trackways came up out of the out of the river valley below and so I went back like a week later with with my employee Dave and his brother, and we documented that trackway and I took all that sort of stuff. But you know, after about twenty thirty tracks, they're all going the same way, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: You know they changed slightly here and there, but yeah, yeah, I do take direction to travel, and that's actually how for the museum members. They might remember a video that I released, I think it was last June, where Melissa, my wife, casts her very very first footprint ever. You know, she's seen him in the ground before a couple of them in the ground. But this is a really good one. So I brought her out. We found it, and then like a week later I brought Melissa out for a date and we went out there and she cast it. That's how we found That's how we found that one. Because the stuff at the outer rim they seem to have been coming out of one river valley going up to a bog area, and in general most of the most of the footprints were kind of tending that direction. Now, of course, when they came up out it the river valley, there was this old abandoned logging road, which is what we were walking. They walked up and down the road. They were all over that place, you know, so that it wouldn't make you know, if you took all the directions of every single one of those prints, I'm not sure it would really yield much information because of the way these things forage, near as I can figure, you know, it seems like they go to an area, then they spread out in that area, and then they keep on going the same general direction, you know, So some of the data might just be like not junk data, but kind of white noise in a way, you know. But in general, I saw the tendency, the trend of the direction of travel of this particular group, and I knew I was finding them up by the swamp, and I knew they were coming out of the river valley below. So I just kind of, you know, connected the dots and I went up and over the ridge that's around this particular swamp, you know, and that's where we found the track, the tracks actually that Melissa and I worked on. I mean, she casts the print, but we backtrack that thing and it came down off the ridge just like we expected, and we probably found another fifteen or twenty.
Speaker 3: It was nice. It was a good date.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We're just sitting on the log, enjoying remote wilderness essentially, sitting there and like even Melissa was like she's sitting there on the log, chilling and enjoying the beautiful view. And she goes, oh, yeah, there's one right there. I can see it from here, so there's another one behind it. It's like, yeah, you just pick these things out. It's pretty amazing. It's pretty amazing when you when you start learning about what you're looking for, that you know it stands out more, which is true.
Speaker 3: Of everything.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely everything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Once you start learning about something and you know what you're looking for and what there is, then you can start seeing it. But if you're unaware of it, you're not going to see it. But yeah, I absolutely do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've seen individuals even take like compass bearings, like shooting in asthmuth from like heel to toe to indicate direction.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I do, right, Yeah, like two hundred and eighty degrees, you know that kind of thing. Yeah, that's exactly what I do.
Speaker 3: Excellent, all right, let's roll on to the next question. There it is.
Speaker 4: Jeremy led Joyce. Hey, guys, I was wondering if you have an idea of a sasquatch's home range and why they may be more active at certain times of a year. I had an incident at our hunting camp, and other people in the area have had stuff happen that was reported the BFRO and on Big Foot Mapping project. This one or group, not sure over the year, seems to be in a ten mile radius. Thanks guys. Yeah, you got that whole little study you guys out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Well there's that.
Speaker 1: But you know, when you're talking about the home range of an animal, it's entirely dependent on the environment in which that animal resides. And so the example that I often use would be black bears, because that's a pretty analogous mammal, being that they're large, generalized dominiv wares. So if you're looking at something like southern Appalachia, especially the temperate rainforest portion of it's about one hundred and thirty five thousand square miles. The average home range of the average adult male black bear in that part of southern Apple Aatcha is roughly sixteen to eighteen square miles. If you take that same sized bear, you know, the average adult male black bear, and you go up somewhere like Pennsylvania, Studies there showed that they have a home range more into like thirty five square miles. And that's still Appalachia, that's still eastern deciduous forest. But given the density of food resources and how they're distributed, it takes thirty five square miles of that Appalachian forest to provide the same amount of food that only sixteen to eighteen square miles of Southern Appalachia forest provides. And then you can transpose that to like the inner Mountain West, where their ranges are significantly larger because the resources are more distributed. So in places like that they might be anywhere from like seventy five to one hundred square miles. In the Pacific Northwest, it could be anywhere from fifty to seventy five square miles. We're talking about essentially the same animal requiring vastly different spans of geographic space in order to sustain itself. So it would first depend on like, well, are these sasquatches in southern apple Lata or the Pacific Northwest or the Washitas or the Rockies or whatever the case may be. So there's probably some rough estimate that you could make. Another interesting thing about the mammalian caloric intake needs is that it doesn't scale linearly with size, so it's not a one to one relationship. Now that's true within a given species. So for example, if you had a species of monkey with a wide variety of size range, one individual weighing one hundred pounds would need less space than two individuals weighing fifty pounds to feed itself versus to feed themselves. So there's a whole lot of factors you have to take in here. So with Sasquatches, you could say, well, they're roughly three to four times the mass of a black bear. Does that mean they need roughly three to four times the home range? Probably not, because again it doesn't scale linearly, so it really just depends. I mean, the ten mile radius is a pretty large area if you're talking about square mileage. I think if you're looking at something like seventy to eighty square miles, that's only I think like a four point five or four point six mile radius from a center point. So it really just depends, and I don't think any of us know. All we could say is that they're probably pretty large. I do think seventy to eighty square miles would be on the small end, and that would be in places like southern Appalachia or the Washutaw's extremely rich environments. You could call that a liberal estimate, And the reason I would say it's liberal rather than conservative is because the smaller the home range, the more ranges can fit in a given area, so the larger the population could be. So that's a pretty liberal gas because you could fit a lot of Sasquatches into southern Apalachia if each individual of a given age and sex and size only needs seventy to eighty square miles, but who knows, because that will also differ radically between the sexes. Going back to black bears in Appalachia, the males need sixteen to eighteen square miles, the females need four to six square miles. Siberian tigers, the males usually cover somewhere around fifteen hundred square kilometers and the females cover about four hundred square kilometers.
Speaker 3: So there's that disparity too. So that's a.
Speaker 1: Long winded way of saying nobody knows, but it's it's probably pretty large. And a ten mile radius is a pretty large area. So but if you're in a place that you've had activity and others have to, I'd say you're in the right spot, and that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And from the place where you are now, I mean wherever that is, you've got to start casting footprints and finding the footprints and trying to figure out which animals are there and which animals are consistently there. Because again, our areas, you know, like I've got three or four areas that I'm working, and I don't think there's a lot of overlap in the sasquatches in there, you know, which is interesting to me because I'm trying to nail down how big their range is and with their social structure. That's those are the questions that I find interesting. So that's what I'm working on. And you got to You've got to look for the footprints. You got to cast them because you're going to see patterns in them and you can start piecing together. Are these the same individuals? Is this a family group? That kind of thing. It's not easy to do. It takes a lot of time and a lot of dedication and a lot of consistency. I go. I mean I say it all the time. I go every single week. You know, this week I don't even have time to go because I'm building that thing in the barn I was talking about earlier in this episode. So on Thursday when I when I go, I have to wake up a couple hours before daylight to get out there because I you know, my buddy who's helping me build this thing out out in the barn is going to be over atten noon. So I got to get out there and get back by noon, so that the consistency has to be there. You know, in my opinion, if you really want to find tracks, you got it. You got to get out there. And if you want to learn about their territory range, you have to look at the footprints, because how do you know which ones are there? Citing reports don't tell you very much. They tell you that the animals are present, but you got to get footprints, because we can't just go ahead and look at a sasquatch and say, oh, that's the same one I saw last week. But you can do that with footprints. You can do that with footprints once you start getting familiar with them. And maybe it's not one hundred percent, you know, but then I talk about it all the time. In our spot Easter Island, we very often find, very often find a twelve inch which I now I know is eleven and a half because I got a couple of cli prints, but a twelve inch individual and a fourteen inch individual, and we almost and by the way, the fourteen is also a thirteen and a half in reality, because again we got a clearer print now. But we're usually sixty seventy percent of the time find those two animals associated with each other, Like maybe we'll find the twelve inch and then a couple hundred yards down the same road, we'll find the fourteen like that kind of stuff, sometimes even right together. Over at the outer rim that I was mentioning earlier, we have another fourteen, and we have an eight eight or nine inch footprint somewhere in there, so it's almost certainly a different animal. And of course the big males almost nothing. We almost never find their footprints, which is really interesting. I have found what I considered to be the male at East t Island. I found it this past fall. It's about fifteen fifteen and a half inches. Could there be more than one fourteen inch? Absolutely there absolutely could, But for now there's enough data to kind of hobble together a rough hypothesis that is the same female and the same juvenile wandering around together, and until there's a reason to think otherwise. You know, I think that's a reasonable gas, which is all I'm trying to do at this point. But now that you have an area of interest, keep going back, and my God, start looking for footprints.
Speaker 3: It's the most important.
Speaker 2: Thing you can do to learn about the species. The single most important thing is to look for footprints.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned for more bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: This question comes from Gear White, and Gary asks high Cliff, how would I know if I hear a scream that isn't you, Bobo or Moneymaker.
Speaker 4: Associated smells yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, If it smells terrible, then it's probably one of us.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: This brings up a good point actually, something to talk about here about this because it sounds like he's kind of jesting, you know, which is fine. I don't mind it a bit because obviously it probably wouldn't be any of us, but sasquatches sound like people, you know. Just recently on the on the membership of the museum, I posted a video. It's kind of interesting. I shared it with Matt prut Bobo. I don't know if I sent it to you or not. This guy that in Tennessee that goes around or is Kentucky and he goes and he looks around for mind shafts and films and he's just like this YouTube guy. That's what he likes to do. And he's little empire on it, you know, and it's kind of cool. It's kind of the same sort of thing I would love to do in the woods if I was wandering around. But he's out there alone doing the thing, or presumably he's out there alone. I mean, his other videos seem to be alone. So he's out there poking around and and he's looking inside this this barred up mind shaft. You know, Oh, this would be kind of cool and blah blah blah. And behind them is a noise and it's it's either a sasquatch or a human. There's it sounds like a person, like ah, something like that. And you know, I put it out for the members of the NABC there and then they listen to it and and they're chiming in. You know, that's a person, that's not a person. That's definitely a sasquatch. That's definitely a person, and that's a bird. And you know, everybody's opinion that everybody enjoys, you know, kind of chiming in like that. It's astonishing, you know, because I think it's fair to say that all of us here, at least on on on the podcast here, all of us have heard sasquatches vocalized kind of a lot. I mean, kind of I'd be hard to put a number on it, but you know, even at like, you know, I heard I've heard them many many times outside of finding Bigfoot and finding Bigfoot, that was basically the whole show is trying to hear them vocalize, and we were successful, you know, like half the time maybe or something like that.
Speaker 4: The microphones weren't so successful, but are pretty Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we've heard them kind of a lot, you know, and it's astonishing how similar they can sound to human beings. I've heard them yell hey, I've heard them all. Oh, they sound like people, and it makes sense because they're built like people, you know, they they would probably have a very similar you know, vocal apparatus. Yeah, they because and I think that you know, with Bobo, Matt and I are doing all that kind of stuff, you know, howling and screaming and doing our thing out there, it gives the impression that that's the only sounds they make. Now they don't. They can sound a lot like indistinguishable from people, and that's just outside of their mimicry that I'm confident that they do, where they can imitate people's voices or chainsaws or car door slamming and all that stuff. They sound so much like people. It's just astonishing sometimes. So although if you did hear Bobo or me or money Maker in the woods and you're say in, I don't know Texas or you know Kentucky, that's not us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think it's important to categorize the sounds that uniquely identify them as sasquatches, sounds that just humans don't or very often just can't produce. Because anything that is human, like you will all unless you see the thing that produced that, you will always be left, you know, agonizing on whether or not that was a person or a sasquatch, you know, And it's it's a tricky thing.
Speaker 3: I've had a number.
Speaker 1: Of those experiences where to this day, and some of them were, you know, eighteen years ago, where I'm like, god, what was that?
Speaker 3: You know? So it is a frustrating thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well should we hop to the next question then?
Speaker 3: I think, so there we go.
Speaker 4: From Connie Barkin, I'd really love to get your take on the link between code's and bigfoot I've stiled upon some festing theory suggesting that bigfoots may actually utilize coadies for hunting, almost as if they've trained them to be their hunting partners. As always keep it squatchy. Yeah, we've we've kicked this around. I've always thought like maybe they could grab it, you know, kyot puppy and you know, have it bond to them and you know, kind of cooperate. But then I talk to other people say no, they absolutely will kill and eat coyotes, and other people say, well they Some people say that the kyotes are scavenging from the big pitchers. Other people think that the bigfoots are going and stealing deer kills from the coyotes. So there's there's not one train of thought on that, and like no one, no one knows for sure. But the guy Fred and Alaska with the Subarctic Alaska Sasquatch, he's got like ten or twelve reports people saying they've seen wolves and bigfoots like cooperatively hunting like caribou and moose and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I always wondered if sasquatch has preyed upon coyotes. And what really started that train of thought for me was, you know, there there always seemed to be some sort of like symbiosis that people had floated or some sort of like connection beyond just being like you know, sympatrick in these environments, you know, occurring in the same environments at the same time. But when we had Ken Walker on, he told the story about the two brothers that the trappers that had that massive trapping lease on Crown Land in Canada. They talked about certain traps being raided. You know, they were trying to catch fur bearing animals, not only because their passion was trapping, but you know certain animals or they have a certain monetary value, and these traps were getting raided consistently, and so they would place out coyote carcasses, according to Ken to sort of be here's something else that you can come raid, you know, rather than breaking our traps and taking these more I guess precious animals, here's an alternative. And they said that once that started, the coyotes would always be taken. They'd find them partially consumed, as if that was a sought after food resource. And if you've ever been out in the field, I know you guys have, but to the listeners, if you've ever been out in the field and done in Ohio, how if there's coyotes within earshot, they'll respond in seconds. And so if I was a coyote hunter, I would just go out and how like a sasquatch figure out where the coyotes are and then go in that direction, and so so they wouldn't be hard to find. They might make for an easy meal. You know, there's a lot of them, so they're plentiful. They're ubiquitous across all of North America pretty much, and they're very, very numerous, and so I wonder if that's part of it. It's at least worth thinking about that they prey on those things.
Speaker 2: Oh, anything's on the menu. Man, If they're eating skunks and possums, like coyotes are probably a delicacy. Everybody's so hyper focused on deer as the prey item for sasquatch, And yeah, sure, I think that might be the choice of a sasquatch if they had to choose. But at the end of the day, I think anything's on the menu. And look at the way they're built, and look at how good they are at catching things and how fast they can move. But everything I was aloso to look how large they are, they would have to utilize any sort of meat. Essentially, I think everything from caterpillars and insects to you know, black bear. If they can get it, and there's a small handful of reports that strongly suggests they hunt black bear, So why not coyotes, you know, And of course I'm a big fan of the idea that sasquatches are also power scavenging, which is a known hominin strategy. Hominins did that, and of course nowadays other animals do it too, you know, lions do it, and all that sort of stuff with power scavenging is waiting for other animals to do the hard work of killing it and bringing it down, and then you just kind of waltz in and push the little guys away and take what you want and leave the rest of the kill to the people who actually earned it, the animals that actually earned it. That's power scavenging. So I think sasquatches would definitely do that because being as smart as they are, they will not expend more calories than necessary in order to obtain their own calories.
Speaker 1: So it's also referred to as klepto parasitism ooh, because they're stealing, you know, like a kleptomaniac. They're stealing the kills of other animals. And there's a number of animals that do practice a kleptoparas. Oh yeah, I think coyotes. You know, they are omnivorous and they will bring down prey. I mean, they're in the order of Carnivora, but that's a dentition based order, same reason that pandas are in the order of Carnivora, even though they're bamboo specialists. But because of the dentition, they're in that order. But I don't know how often coyotes are making significant kills. I'm sure we could look that up, but it's not like they're making deer kills frequently enough that a sasquatch could rely solely on that versus, you know, if it wants food, it's probably easier to get a coyote than.
Speaker 3: To wait for them to get the food for them. Okay.
Speaker 2: And then this question here, which is the last of our written questions, by the way, comes from Howard Williams, and Howard asks, Hi, guys, love your show. This is a question about the societal value of mysterious creatures. Why does this need for mystery persist in human cultures? Also, what are the implications the mystery is solved. I think we probably all agree it would not be good for Bigfoot. But would it be good for us to lose the mystery? My gut says that the loss would surprise us and the world would be a little more intolerable. Please keep up the good work and always keep it squatchy.
Speaker 1: I think that once you solve the mystery of whether or not sasquatches exist, there's an indefinite number of new mysteries about sasquatches that arise, and those answers are not going to come much faster, and they're not going to come much easier than they already have. And so some of these questions that will arise after recognition will still take decades to answer and to answer fully to the satisfaction of scientists and academics and to society for that matter. And so this, I think this is something we've all encountered many many times as like, oh, what's the thing solved? You won't have anything to do, like yeah, right, you know, you could just imagine a handful of questions, like how large is their home range? Like we just found out, okay, well you get a rough estimate, Well, how large is their home range in southern apple Achoe? What about central Apple Acho? What about the rockies, you know, all the places I just mentioned in response to the previous question, how do they form social units? What's their gestation period, what's their developmental period? When do they separate from their parents? These things, they're not going to come easily. We won't have all those answers. I bet we won't even have all those answers in the first three decades of them being discovered. I mean, we just covered in the last episode, you know, a mysterious quote unquote mysterious new behavior just now being documented in squirrels, you know, the North American squirrel, the most common thing you could encounter out in the wild, and we're still making new discoveries about them. And so imagine the treasure trove, the bottomless well of information that these things could give us. It's really it's unfathomable. We'll never lose that.
Speaker 2: And there's no shortage of mysteries outside the Bigfoot thing either, you know, whether you're looking at like non terrestrial life or you know, extraterrestrial life or inter dimensional things, or just like the world abounds with mystery, you know, and the Bigfoot is Bigfoot thing is just one of them, just one of many, many, many, things you know, and of course a lot of the stuff that you know that people are chasing around the whole in search of style stuff. There's ridiculous nonsense for the most part, but that's that's just a lot of fun, you know, the ancient alien kind of nonsense that's on TV and everything that's us fun to think about, but not a whole lot of people really really take it seriously. But they're and outside of those mysteries, it's great that there's so many cool things like the I was just reading this past week about how some real progress has been made uniting quantum physics and Einsteinian you know, relativistic physics. Like that's great, that's awesome. That's been they've been chasing that for you know, eighty years, one hundred years or something like that. You know, not a physicists, I just like the subject. So there's so much real mystery grounded in science that there's always going to be something to push forward into. I think we lose sight of this. We as a culture, we as a species, lose.
Speaker 3: Sight of this.
Speaker 2: We are in our infancy of understanding the world at this point. Remember germs, for example, germs were kind of discovered in the late eighteen hundreds. That's like one hundred and twenty one hundred fifty years ago. We didn't know about germs. You know, no one in seventeen hundred had heard dinosaurs, for example. You know, we don't know much, but we think we're all fancy because everybody's got a cell phone in their pocket and we think that's pretty cool. And you know, science is really really good at inventing bubbles and toys, so we think we're all that. But we have such limited understanding of the way things work and how things piece together. We almost know nothing. But we've come so far since like the steam engine, you know, or whatever, whatever the wheel, you know, whatever tool you want to put out in the printing press, whatever the big milestones are. You know, we've come so far from those in our own very limited scope of time, you know, because we live like seventy eighty years. We're done and we check out and we leave and whatever, and that's a blink of an eye. But we think we've come so far because as a couple of generations to go, we practically know nothing compared to where we're gonna be an eight hundred years or something like that if if our species even survives that long, we're still in our infancy of understanding the universe. There is no shortage of wonder and beauty in the universe.
Speaker 1: We don't even understand ourselves. There's nothing more mysterious than the totality of the mind, the psyche, and especially the nature of consciousness. We are ourselves a nearly unsolvable mystery. And so yeah, we'll always be women in mystery, and I'm still trying to solve the mystery that is our good man. Bobo definitely a mysterious character too.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he did specifically ask about the societal value of mysterious creatures, though.
Speaker 4: I think it's the way to teach lessons, right, Like myths and lore like is a good way to impart things that children teach them lessons, you know, about safety or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so complicated that you know, there are elements of myth that are moral lessons, you know, and they might be even lesser than moral lessons. They might just be to your point, like encoded information that's necessary to know about the environment that you live in and the living inhabitants of that environment, and how to respond to them, and how to interact with them or how to avoid them. In many cases, in other elements, mythological characters are characterized or personified descriptions phenomenological descriptions of nature itself, whether that's natural events. Think about all the personifications of thunder and lightning as a phenomena, for example, being given some agency or being the product of some conscious agent that's exerting its will. I mean, there's no simple explanation for what myth is and where it comes from, because it applies to such a range of things. But because you know, we're persons, you know, we tend to see other phenomena as personified, and so we we represent those phenomena as characters. And those characters have their own philosophies, they have their own views, they have their own wills, their own perceptions, et cetera. You know, if you think about the nature of the storm, for example, and well, how do you character what does the storm want? Well, the objective reality would tell you that, like, the storm has no desire and no moral aim. But in order to describe the experience of the storm. In a story, you personify it, so those things happen. There's also mythological characters that are rooted in reality that might have been based on living people, that as time marches on, those people get mythologized and represented as mythological characters even though they had a rooting in reality. You know, there's characters from the twentieth century that are mythologized that have a whole host of like apocryphal stories about them that people believe that are demonstrably not true. But certain living individuals, you know, are great receptacles for myths, so we're apt to believe such things about them, that they had certain capabilities, or that they accomplished certain things, or whatever the case may be. And so the societal value is that it provides information across a host of different domains that because it's metaphorical in nature, it's more easily accessible because not only is it metaphorical, but it's delivered in the form of a story, a narrative, and you know narratives, we're we're storytelling creatures. There's a great book by a guy named Jonathan Gottschalk called The Storytelling Animal.
Speaker 3: That's absolute must read.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite books I've read in the last five years, I would say, And people will remember information with an higher degree of accuracy if it's delivered to them in the form of a story then merely propositions or like a bullet point list of facts. And you have to think too. The other value of myths and the creatures, you know, the personified characters within them, is that if you get intimately familiar with the canon of myths, that teach that whole host of lessons. Like you don't have enough time in one lifespan to learn all these things and figure them out for yourself. You'll die in the process because you'll make too many errors. But if you develop an intimate familiarity with the cannon of myths and the characters within them, then you basically have a guide book, you know, a cultural guidebook for how to deal with certain situations. Knowing these myths and understanding those character and their motivations and their own sort of like philosophies, provides all that. So the value is limitless when we're talking about that mysterious creatures happen to be one manifestation, whether or not you know, even if such creatures exist in the environment, they get borrowed and used to be a receptacle for the mythological motif. In the same way that the bear has lessons to tell, or the raven, or the coyote or the tiger. Doesn't mean that the animal is as described by the myth, And it doesn't mean that because it's a myth, that the animal doesn't exist. It's just that you need receptacles to hang these motifs or tropes on, and sasquatches and other mysterious creatures make great receptacles for that, among other things.
Speaker 4: What the hell did you just say?
Speaker 3: I'm ranting again.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Now, Well, when we started talking about things that we're super stoked about, we keep on going.
Speaker 3: Man, that's we love it.
Speaker 1: I think the world would get a lot more exciting if sasquatches were definitely proven to exist, don't you.
Speaker 4: I think so for sure? Yes, because the missy is not solved and the missy is just wide open.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, there's not gonna be a time where my curiosity is satisfied about the sasquat.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We still watch documentaries on Great Whites. I mean they're finding out new stuff. Yeah, but I mean, it still has a lot of big fishes swimming around. You know, we watched I'll watch hours of that stuff every summer when Sharky comes out.
Speaker 2: Now, it seems to me that if bigfoots were discovered today, that's when the fun starts, you know that that's where we actually start making some real progress.
Speaker 4: I guess that wraps it up for this week and anything an it's oh, you know, I got something I need to add my buddies on the Chamber of Commerce up in Willacirk, California, where the big Foot Museum is and you know, the original hotspot of Bigfoot phenomena, there's the famous Jim McClaren statue that most of you are familiar with, the Bigfoot statue. Cardot's real blockie. So one that looks it's the big silt I saw for my first say, looked a lot like that. It was that it's rotting out again. They replaced the feet a few years ago, but the whole thing has got to be replaced. They're looking for someone a they're looking for someone that might donate a log that's big enough to this, you know, section of a log to carve a new Bigfoot and they're also seeing it. There's anyone that's willing to carve it, and they got real limited budget. They're looking for donations. People can write it off whatever. But yeah, if they're interested in either donating the piece of wood or carving it, you can contact Bigfoot Cannabis in Willow Creek, California.
Speaker 3: That's why I findally can put in the show notes too.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, Yeah, my buddy Callin owns Bigfoot Cannabis up there. I was just consultant for designing the bigfoot gummies he has for the bigfoot shape gums because he had like a human foot. I was like, no, dude, you got to do it like that. And so he's it's more of a classic big foot, you know, full heel, more straight or toes across.
Speaker 3: It's the most authentic bigfoot gummy in the cannabis market for foot.
Speaker 4: Yes, but morphology.
Speaker 3: Good job, Bobo, good job.
Speaker 4: Thank you doing what I can do what I can.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say yet another epic contribution of Bobo to the realm of sasquatchery.
Speaker 2: Talk about a mythological man who's still alive.
Speaker 3: There he is, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's I kind of was hinting at that, is that there are people who are so large in life that like myths just fit them perfectly, and they get mythologized and people just believe it, you know, because like, why wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: Of course he's capable of that. Of course he's Bobo is definitely one of those people.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I know anyone else in real life who is that way, but Bobo's definitely the one.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're talking about, but.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's part of your charm.
Speaker 3: Man. You have no idea of the magic that you spind.
Speaker 4: You're right, I don't see I don't see magic. I just see chaos and idiocy.
Speaker 2: Now, your divine, your your endless line of divine accident leads you, leads you in the right direction.
Speaker 4: There you go. Okay, folks, Well, that's it for another week of Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff, Bobo and Matt, and we appreciate you tuning in. We're gonna now join our Patreon family for another episode that will come out on Thursday. So until next week, y'all, keep it Squatchy.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.