Speaker 1: You're listening to everything out there with your host Steve Stockton. Hello friends, Hello, hello once again, and welcome to everything out there on the Clyde Lewis Grounds. He wrote Radio Network, I'm your host, Steve Stalktor. Welcome in tonight, joining me on the phone. Friend of mine for many years. You might know her from her work on Caravan of Lore or some of the scripts she wrote and narrated for me over on my thirteen Past Midnight YouTube channel. Or you might know her from her work with Seth Breedlove's Small Town Monsters. And she's also a classics professor at Kent State University. Welcome Heather Moser, Heather, come on in.
Speaker 2: Hi, Thanks for having me. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice to have you here on the phone with us tonight. So what's going on in your world? I haven't seen you in I've probably been over a year. You and Seth showed up in New Mexico in the Four Corners area and filmed me for documentary. We're working on what's happened since that transpired? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we showed up and we kidnapped you for a little bit so that you could tell us some stories. Well, let's see, that does seem like a long time ago. We have been filming other films, filming other movies and the one that you're in American Werewolves too, which it was kind of it should have been out by now, but then we had an issue with our distributor, so it's kind of been put on the back burner. It should be coming out, though very soon. I don't think I'm allowed to say yet, but we have an official date now, so it'll be within it'll be within the month.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to that. I've been expecting my copy in the mail just any time. I'm anxious to see how it turned out. But it was great meeting Seth and the crew and then getting to meet you in person finally.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it was great to finally meet you. Let's see, we went to British Columbia and we filmed there for on the trail of Bigfoot the Origin, So we've done that. Right now, we're in the midst of and this is about the only thing that has my brain occupied at the moment. We're in the midst of our Kickstarter and that takes up all of February for us, So that's the biggest thing right now, trying to get our kickstarter funded as much as possible and that'll help get us through the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw the notification on Facebook. I'll put a link to that in the show notes for the kickstarter there and everybody go pledge or support to that. It's a great franchise they've got going there out How many are they up to now with a small town Monsters series? Uh?
Speaker 2: How many movies? You mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Well, I don't know, it's got to be close to twenty at this point, if not more. I don't have the number off the top of my head, but it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it's out there. And then there's a great great cannon have worked there. I've only seen a few of them, but they are all just incredible movies and really looking forward to see the one that I'm in now. Is that going to be premiering like at some film festivals and things like that, or some conferences, paranormal conferences or are you allowed to say so?
Speaker 2: American Werewolves two did actually premiere last ball in Kentucky to an audience and it was very well received, But as of right now, it's not scheduled for any premieres.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, that's still good to hear though. At least it's out there, and it did get good reception and hopefully nobody laughed at my part too hard.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. And our Kickstarter backers they've had access to it so and it's gotten good reviews from them as well. So that's the other bonus of kickstarter backing is that you get access to films, even if we have issues with the distributor, you get access to the films early.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I've worked some in film and getting that coverage right away to see how it plays, that's just invaluable. Think of those people as your test audience if you will.
Speaker 2: Yep, definitely.
Speaker 1: So let's just start at the beginning here. Like I said, you wrote and narrated some things for me over on my thirteen Past Midnight channel, which is still on hiatus. I'm going to be bringing it back, but I'm back on Missing Persons and Mysteries. I now own that channel, so that's getting a lot of my time and attention. Just under two hundred and seventy five thousand subscribers over there, and then in the interim, I started among the missing, and I've gotten I think one hundred and four k, hundred and five k over there now. So I've been a busy guy that just published my twentieth book this last year, if you count one that Cisco and I co wrote, and had a couple other co You're just in there on some of these recent ones. But yeah, uh no, moss growing under this rolling.
Speaker 2: Stone and that's good. That's good.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. But what garnered your interest in the paranormal? Did it start like so many of us in early childhood or were you a light blimmer when it came to all things dark and scary or what's your personal story.
Speaker 2: Oh, it definitely started wheneber I was young. It's very very much tied to what was on TV at a very young age, unsolved mysteries with something that was on the TV every week, and that garnered my attention, almost like a morbid curiosity to a certain extent. I remember very vividly an episode about the Yeti and being afraid of the Yeti as a result of that. Also, spontaneous human combustion was one of the episodes, and I had this unrealistic fear that that was going to be how I'd meet my demise at some point in my life, hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one always scared me too. I remember reading about that when I was a kid, probably in the of those readers digest tales of the Paranormal books, or maybe even the Time Life Library had the picture of the lady there that I think I legged was all that was left a burnmark on the chair, and that used to to scare the daylights out of me. I'm like, what if I spontaneously combussed that and quicksand? Now I'm a little bit older than you are, maybe a lot older than you are. But if you watch TV in the late sixties in the early seventies, particularly westerns, quicksand was the thing, and it got a lot of people and almost got you know, some of my heroes, Daniel Boone and his son Israel and Davy Crockett and gun Smoke. People are always getting in quicksand. But yeah, shc spontaneous human combustion. Bigfoot. I used to actually go out looking for bigfoot when I was a kid. I don't know what I've done if I'd found one.
Speaker 2: But that's a great question.
Speaker 1: What would you Yeah, I've wondered about that. These people that go out looking for it and they play the mating calls and stuff. Well, what if that works and all of a sudden an amorous bigfoot comes charging out of the woods. Do you run? Do you stay in teck one for the team or in that situation? I often wondered about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, things to think about, for sure. Yeah, another thing you mentioned Quicksand I do remember also being extremely afraid of the Bermuda Triangle. Even though I have yet to go over the Bermutera Triangle, I was positive that if I did, I would disappear. That was another thing that was very common when I was younger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charles Burlitt's book about that was out in that era anyway, And yeah, that one frightened me. I've yet to fly over it as well. I've been in the edge of it, but that's about as close as I want to get. But and some of my research and things that I've done, there are a lot of triangles out there. They are all over the place. Here in New England where I'm at. You've got the Bennington Triangle, then you've got the Nevada Triangle. There's an Alaskan triangle, there's a one in northern California. What is it with triangles? Maybe you can enlighten us from your work as a professor there and then look back into history or maybe even prehistory. Is there something mystical about the triangle?
Speaker 2: Well, it's one of the strongest shapes. Right. We've got pyramids and we're always fascinated by those and how they were even built. But with these triangle areas, it seems to be that you've got the a conglomeration of sightings in one area, and I think, just human nature, we're like, okay, we're the outer limits of this. Let's make three points and oh, it's a triangle. It also sounds a lot better than like the Bridgewater Rahmas or some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the Alaska do decahedron or something like that. Right, there's something about those being able to find three points. And I know it's always easy to connect the dots in reverse, but it does appear to be within a boundary. And again there there's a mysticism with the triangle. You know, from a mathematical perspective and then from an alchemical and metaphysical perspective. But a lot of those pesky triangles out there, and I hope I don't get caught in any of them.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the one of the things of small town monsters that we've started in the last At this point, it's been a couple of years now, we started a publishing company and one of our early books was The Texas dog Man Triangle by Aarondese, and that the whole idea of the dog Man Triangle came about after Aaron had accumulated all of these stories through historical and modern day times and realized, oh wait, they're pretty concentrated in an area, and look, lo and behold, there's three points. Let's make that the Texas dog Man Triangle.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, I find that fascinating. I haven't I heard anything about this. I'll definitely have to read that book. Can you elaborate on that a little bit without giving too much of the book away?
Speaker 2: So the Texas dog Man Triangle, the points are roughly around Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston, So it's a pretty decent size triangle. But then again, Texas is massive, so it really isn't that big on the general scale of things. But yeah, there are stories back from even the eighteen hundreds of these creatures that are bipedal canine, half human half canine creatures that have been aggressive. They're very rarely. I mean, you just don't hear stories necessarily about them being something that you want to encounter. They're not, I don't know. They don't seem as friendly as maybe your local bigfoot, but they're sightings that are accumulated in that area between those three points that are historical and modern day. And even after Aaron put the book out, which I'm sure you can attest to this from being an author as well. Once you get the book out there, then you get more sightings. You get more people coming in that have read the book and they're like, actually, I live in that area as well, and I had an encounter.
Speaker 1: So his.
Speaker 2: Database of sightings has grown since the book has come out as well, just kind of adding to yes, this is a definitive area where there seems to be a concentration of dog maned sightings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's been my experience too. People read the book and then they want to add something to it. Every single one of my books, and a couple of them have been updated to new editions. But like Strange Things in the Woods, that's actually two volumes combined. That was originally Strange Things in the woods and more Strange Things in the wood my publisher combined. But I've got enough for a second volume of those, and that's just things in the woods. I mean, there's strange things in the water, strange things in the sky, strange things on the farm, strange things in the city. It's just strange as a relative term there. But people seem to be more aware of it. I don't know. Maybe it's just me since I've published those books and gone on a lot of shows and have my own shows and stuff now, but there seems to be just a higher interest in it. There was a lot in the seventies, particular nineteen seventy three that was a big UFO year. There was a huge UFO flap in seventy three, and even my family jumped on that bandwagon. My brother lived on the highest point around where we lived, and a lot of like a Friday night or Saturday night, we would go over there, get lawn chairs set out in his yard and watch the skies and we saw anomal of stuff, stuff that made no sense, stuff that wasn't airplanes or jets or anything like that. But then it all just kind of died down. Those things tend to come in waves like that, flaps they call them, and I think that's true of anything cryptid or paranormal. There seems to be certain times when it's more active or more prevalent. And I hear from people now that the study that side of it, that the veil is thin and that's why. I mean, it's always it's thin around a certain time of year in the Pagan and Celtic beliefs, but now I've heard people say that it's getting thinner all the time, all the time, year round, and that's why all this is ramping up. Maybe that's so, or maybe it's just with the advent of the Internet and being able to communicate worldwide with somebody. I mean, you're sitting in Ohio, I'm sitting in New England, but we're talking like we're right here next to each other. I think that's just It has indeed made the world a smaller place and more people are willing to share. Because back like one of the strange things in the woods, a lot of those stories were from friends of my family and people that my it's new and things like that. The ninety nine percent of the people in that book had passed on now and they were read some to tell those stories. But the tea I'm kind of going me sometimes it was like they had to get a log chain and drag it out of them. And one old gentleman, Auto Daro, He's been passed for several years, but he would tell me things when he found out I wasn't going to laugh at him or make fun of him that he hadn't even shared with his wife. She'd be sitting there while we were talking. She's like, you never told me that, and they'd, you know, have some lib responsible you'd never ask, or something like that. But I think people are more open to talking about it now. And has that been your experience with the small Town Monsters? Is it easier the longer you do it, Is it easier to find witnesses to come forward and talk about what they see or in some cases didn't see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it definitely has helped that we've I mean, small Time Monsters has been around since Minerva Monster came out in twenty fifteen, and just the fact that we've been around for a while and people can actually look at our body of work and see that we're not going to make fun of them has been a boon for us as far as getting people to feel comfortable talking to us. As a researcher for small town monsters, what I've noticed is there are certain cryptids where it's a lot easier to get people to talk because it is more accepted. Bigfoot, it's a lot easier to get people to come forward and tell you that they had an encounter with Bigfoot because it just seems to be more socially accepted. Right now, dog Man is a little iffy, But when you get into other things like sometimes UFOs can be a little trickier. Although that is starting to shift as well with everything that's happening in our culture on the news, you know, the government's coming forward and saying yes, there's been UFOs or UAPs rather, that's making it a little easier. But I have stories from people that had odd encounters of things that don't necessarily fall into the pop culture look at the at the strange if that makes sense, and they're more reticent to come forward with anything. So and then as far as the movies that we've done, it was difficult to get people to American werewolves too. That you're in that's titled the skin Walkers. It was very difficult to get people to come forward and talk about any type of skin walker encounter, which is not surprising. But I don't think that that stigma is necessarily going away, even if we have shows out there like Skinwalker Ranch. That is just a cultural thing that isn't going to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And just because they put it on TV and put it where it can be consumed by a mass audience, I think that raises the awareness and gets more people interested in people. I spoke to a guy not too long ago that he thinks finding Bigfoot or something like that that he'd caught an episode of and had no interest in it prior to that, and then suddenly he's hooked and devouring everything he can find about the subject, reading books, watching other shows, actually going out in the field and doing some research. So I think sometimes it's just that little little spark that Genny ciqua if you will, that excites these people like, Hey, I didn't know this was out here, and there's all this work and media that you can consume. And I don't know if people like that will stay in it, but at least it's nice to have an interest in it for a while, even if you go on to something that I'm on. My personal taste and interest even in the paranormal change. While I was big into UFOs as a child, I kind of grew out of that went more into Bigfoot and then from that into other cryptids, and that's kind of what got me into the missing people stuff too. And now I'm kind of circled back around and coming another interest in UFOs, but I like the classic cases. I've got a new YouTube channel. It's not very big, about thirty five hundred subscribers, called from Beyond, and we're looking at some of the classic UFO cases recently. First episode we covered the Betty and Barney Hill alleged abduction from here in New England. The week prior to that we looked at Rendalstrom Forrest, which has been called the UK's Roswell, and there's some some good stuff out there back during that era, you know, before all the abduction tom foolery and not discounting anybody's beliefs or theories or anything there. I spoken to UFO conference and met a lot of abductees that they believe what they say, and that gives me, you know, the belief in their testimony, I think, but I like it when it was, you know, everybody that was men from Mars or moon men or the Little Green Men and their flying saucers and things before it got beyond that. And so you mentioned UFO or UAP. What do you think the reason is for the name change this far into the game. Why would they suddenly just start calling it a UAP when we've been used to UFOs for decades?
Speaker 2: Well, that is that is a great question. I I'm not sure other than they're trying to make a broader term, perhaps to cover more things, and maybe UFOs just seemed outdated for them, or maybe we're actually behind the times and they don't actually use that anymore. Maybe they're just throwing us a bone and saying, yeah, we called it UAPs while you guys are busy calling it UFOs. Could be that now we have another term.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I had a comment or on one of my live streams this week on from Beyond he said, it's to make it harder to search for things in a four you request a Freedom of Information Act? Thought about that if you're I hadn't either. If they're calling it a UAP now, but you're looking for UFO information. People that just come along and get into it now maybe not even realize that UFO was the preferred nomenclature before it went to UAP, So it could be that's a good point, classic mixed direction there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would not put it past anybody.
Speaker 1: And full disclosure. Do you think that it's coming or do you think we'll ever find out for sure? Or is it just too immerse, too hidden from view that to ever be revealed, because that would destroy a lot of paradigms, if you will, if we did get full disclosure in the way that people expect. What's your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: I think that that is definitely a concern that it would cause issues, especially in the religious community. But I feel like at some point it'll just be I think, on down the line, not anytime, probably not in my lifetime, but I think that it'll just it'll be something that they can't deny anymore and we will all know. We may not know the extent of anything or but I don't think that we're going to be able to live forever with this with blinders on that there's nothing else in the universe except us, So I think it'll come out eventually. I think it's kind of it'll probably be a situation where the government's hand is forced, so to speak. That would be my guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I agree with that. And I don't know at this point what it would take to convince everybody. I mean, there's been people that have been with people, have had these first hand experiences and they didn't believe what they saw. So again, I don't know if if one landed on the White House lawn and came out and shook hands with people, people, Oh, that's that's AI generated at CGI. It's a deep fake or Project Bluebeam? Are you familiar with that? I am not. It's supposedly Project Bluebeam one word. It's a type of I don't know if it's an apparatus or how it works, but it's a militarized thing where they can project a hologram that you can't tell the difference from the real thing, and according to which conspiracy theory you subscribe to, they can beam it straight into your head. It doesn't even have to be a physical manifestation. They can cause you to see it in your brain. I guess I'm not sure all the ins and outs of it. But you know, used to they say to believe what was it a quarter of what you read and half of what you see or something. Now we can't believe anything that we see or hear with all the AI. I know a lot of people they're scared of it, and it can cause some problems and things, but I see it as a tool. It can be beneficial. It's like anything like that. Like when my dad was small, people were scared of electricity. He said, he's heard creatures in the pulpit talk about electricity. You know, you're fooling with something you shouldn't fool with it. It's going to destroy the world. But yet it didn't, and it change everything. And I heard the same about nuclear power and things like that, and then that came to you know what's next, and somebody's going to be afraid of everything. And there are people that are averse to any kind of change, and I get that. I don't like especially swift and sudden change. But I'm open to new ideas. But what do you think about CERN and what's going on over there? Do you think they're tampering with something they shouldn't add to as the saying goes or what's your belief on that? Is it changing things like the Mandela effect? I've heard people attribute that to CERN. What's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny. I didn't realize that people were attributing that to CERN. No, I think that they're I don't think that they're messing with something that they shouldn't mess with over at CERN. I there's I don't know. This also comes from more of a personal perspective as well, because there was someone that went through my school that worked over at CERN for a while, and like I knew him, and he was super nice and kind, and I would like to think that he would have the sense to not mess with something that he shouldn't mess with and that this is absolutely all in the name of science and furthering our understanding of the universe. So that would be my thought on it. I don't how horrible if they started to mess with something, yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Advocate here though, what if it's compartmentalized and people that are good and just are working on this project and don't exactly know what they're working on now. I draw from personal experience. Both my parents were a part of the Manhattan Project and they had an idea of what they were working on the whole of it. But still, you know, you had this person doing this and that person doing that, and the people up above who were coordinating everything. They knew what they were doing. That's why part of it was an oak Ridge and part of it was in Los Almos. They wanted to keep those visionable materials separate until they got ready to arm everything. But there was a lot of people there was prior. There was Clinton Engineer Works prior to O R n L and the AEC and other agencies that worked out there. But again they knew they were doing something for the greater good, but they didn't know exactly what they were doing. So if that many people, No. Coridge at that time didn't even exist. It wasn't on any maps. It was a behind the fence and you had guard shacks at every entrance into town and you had to show a badger you didn't get in there. So but nobody talked. I mean, it was again part of the war effort, and your silence was necessary and people got called on that. I've heard about people that attended dances inside the fence and maybe whispered to their date about something they were working on and then it was found out that they had again talked a little more than they should have, and they were chid for that. If not fired or you could be arrested. My dad he talked about some of the documents and things that he had signed. Even far into retirement. He said there were certain things that are classified and that are still classified that he wouldn't be able to talk about ever unless he could lose his pension and his insurance and all that stuff. So those people, but again they understood they were doing it for the greater good. But sure people can they told Yeah, that's what they were told, And I know, it's just astounding. And then another conspiracy theory that that gave me particular insight into was Project paper Clip. And I've heard people debunk that and say, oh, that didn't happen, it doesn't exist. But yet my dad, who was a scientist at Olkridge National Laboratory, he worked right alongside some of those German scientists that were brought over after the war. And personal story. I went to school, elementary school with a kid who was from Germany, and I went home with him after school one day and his dad was a scientist out there as well, I spoke fluent German and the kid my age spoke English. His dad had a heavy accent. But we were down in the basement. They had like a wreck room. That was the big thing to have downstairs in the seventies was a family room or rec room. And he's like, come here, I want to show you something and I'm like okay. He push us on the paneled wall back there and it swings open, and I thought, okay, he's going to show me a bomb shelter. A lot of houses built after the war had a bomb shelter, and because of the Cold War and all that going on, and I thought, okay, he's going to show me his bomb shehulter. We didn't have one, but I knew other kids that had a bomb shelter in their basement. So he opens it up and he flicks on the light and here is the biggest display of German war memorabilia that I have ever seen before since. And what I don't know if his glass or plexiglass case. There was a uniform, a very high ranking uniform. And I said, wow, your dad really loves his war memorabilia. And he said, Steve, you don't understand. He said that was his uniform. So he had this little shrine to the fatherland in his basement, yet he was out working at There's No laboratory right alongside my dad. So that project vapor clip is not a myth. So again, you never know. There's a lot of people that keep a lot of secrets out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the compartmentalizing thing, I mean, I understand it, but it's also scary to think that way, to think about all the things that people may be working on and not knowing the full extent of it, and then what the actual purpose is behind it on a larger scale, and then you.
Speaker 1: Have places like Area fifty one, you know where there's things going on that again, everybody there doesn't know what they're working on. But then you have a whistleblower like Bob Blazaar. What do you think of his testimony? Do you think that he's on the up and up ors he just found a way to opportunize all this.
Speaker 2: I was actually just watching Bob Lazar last night, watching his interview with Oh what is that? Oh? Joe Rogan, and I would say that if he's not being truthful, he's come up with a lot of a lot of de tales that make it extremely believable. Like I, this is just first first glance at these things. I did not detect him lying about anything from from that interview anyway, because there were just too many, like I said, too many nuances that he had in there that he's either a fantastic storyteller or a great a great liar, or he's telling the truth.
Speaker 1: That was my takeaway from that too. He believes what he's saying, or seems to me, Yeah, I can say that of a lot of in the in the UFO culture things. I've heard Travis Walton speak and you know, saw him at a conference and listen to him speak. He believes what he says. He believes that that's what's happened to Either that or he's the greatest actor that we've ever seen or the most accomplished liar ever. And there's a lot of people like that. Even Whitley Strieber, I've heard him speak before. I don't think he as the conferences anymore, at least he doesn't do them in Las Vegas because the casinos don't in force of no smoking policy. He or they didn't when I was there. But I believe that he believes what he saw, and yeah, he made a fortune off books and movies and things. But I think he is telling the truth as he knows it about those experience he has been starting with Communion and beyond m.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good way to put it, that they it's the truth, is they believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's like with my own experiences. I've had people try to debunk stuff that I've seen, like you know, you didn't see that, or that didn't happen, or how could you remember it in that much detail. Well, that's just the way my brain operates. I can remember things just an infinite detail. I've got a near photographic memory, so that's one way I can remember all these details. Plus, when you have one of those encounters or experiences, it just, I don't know, it crystallizes in the mind. I can go back to any of my several especially the really really scary ones and things that I can remember every little detail of everything around me, what I had for breakfast that day, what was going on, what I did afterwards. I don't know how I could not remember all that, And just the fact to me that I can recall it in that grade of detail just shows to me that that's it's real. You know, in my mind, I was there, I know what happened. I know what I saw or didn't see or felt or heard, and nobody's ever going to convince me otherwise.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, exactly. I mean you were there, you had the experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so especially, I don't care if anybody believes it or not, you know, like Ripley's believe it or not, this is Stockton's believe it or don't. I don't. I don't care. That might be a name for a podcast. I like it, but again, you know, I'm not here to win any friends or influence any people. I'm just sharing what's happened to me and hopefully make it a little easier for other people to share what's happened with them. And that was one thing I wanted to ask you with small town monsters, have you ever had a showing of those, like in a retirement home or an old folks home or anything like that. No, but that's the things I do with my books. I like to go and do a reading, and especially with strange Things in the woods or even my strange world, and a lot of times they'll just be like somebody like, ah, what's this scrap? There's no beingo tonight, And they'll sit there and they'll do their knitting or their crochet or whatever, and then they just get up and leave. But usually there'll be a couple of people hang around after the reading is over, and I know what's coming up, And usually it'll be an older gentleman and he'll sidle up to me and say that story you had about the bar, and he said, let me tell you what happened to you, what happened, sorry, let me tell you what happened to me when I was a kid. And then the story just comes out, and maybe you know, this guy's been sitting on it for decades, and yet by hearing me tell my stories or tell other people's story in the cases chrange things in the woods, it frees him up. And otherwise that story might not have ever seen the light of day. Maybe he didn't tell to anybody could have taken it to the grave with him. And that's part of the commission that I'm doing here. I'm getting these stories out there so that they'll live on longer than the people that told them, like instoring things in the woods, or longer than me I'm hoping, you know, I'm building a legacy here, and I've encouraged other people to write Cisco Murdock, Mark, Anthony Wyatt. There's a lot of stuff here that you know, I've kind of been like a Johnny apple Seed to some of this. But I wonder what kind of response you would get if you showed those in that type of setting. If it would scare the pants off those old people, or if there would be some that would stick around and share their stories. You might might want to give that a thought. Mentioned that the sentence about any things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be really interesting, especially because we are so close to where like Minerva Monster. I mean, I live in Minerva, so we're not far at all from where that happens. So to show that and then see what their reaction would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you could do it, you know, in the library, you could do it in schools. That's another thing. Another undermined segment. I said, old people or senior citizens are one of our greatest wealths as far as folklore and stories and things. But another audience that I found is the teenagers. I go to a skateboard park or anywhere where teenagers congregate and say Hey, if you were going out on a date and you wanted to go parking someplace spooky, where's the Craybaby Bridge, where's the white Lady walk or the lady in white or whatever? And those they know all those places too. I did when I was a kid, right, The adults didn't pass it around like kids did. And I think that's the way a lot of these urban legends. And in the South, particularly in the Appalachians, there's there's a cry Baby bridge in every little community. And I don't know if it's like a version of the telephone game, or somebody heard it and then just retold it, but they added in a location that their audience would know, or if there's really I mean Texas, there's cry Baby bridge there. And then the same with the tunnel where the or the there it's a railroad track, I think where the kids put their hands on the car and push you over.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yes, there's a.
Speaker 1: Railroad tunnel in the Kingsport, Tennessee. It's like that since about tunnel. There's just the same stories in different locations. So it makes me think somewhere sometimes that really happened and it just got passed around. Another example, my mom's from East Tennessee. She grew up, was born in the CAD's Cove area or the Smoky's like my grandmother. And then my dad's from Middle Tennessee over on the Cumberland Plateau. But a lot of the stories that she would tell that she heard as a child, he had heard them as a child as well, even though they were six years apart, but in a local setting, you know, hours apart by car so again, and this was before the days of you know, and I guess they could have heard it on the Red You or something, but this was stories that they told around the woodstove in the wintertimer in front of the fireplace. But to me, that's fascinating the way these stories get passed around and they change. It is it's like a version of telephone game. Did you ever play that when you're in school?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, things are vastly different sometimes by the end of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you mentioned being there enter near Minerva. Now there's something about you can agree or choose to disagree with me here. There's something about Ohio in general that has the strangeness to it that there's the little pockets of weirdness there. And I mean that in the kindest and best possible way, that's good. But yeah, I don't know if you know the brothers from the belief Ale podcast, Chris, Jeremy and John. They're out of Ohio and they are among my three favorite Ohioans, and they've investigated a lot of stuff there and realize that there's just something strange there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I think we've got something here between the we're in the foothills of the Appalachians and then we've got the rivers all around here. I think when you get the confluence of all of those things together, plus the history, just the history in the area, the tribes that were once here, the mountain builders that were here. Yeah, we've got We've got a lot going on in this area, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then of course you have stuff around the West Virginia area and the Kentucky areas that goes over into Ohio. Moss Man and the point pleasant things and how that all connects. But yeah, what I was on their show, they interview me. That's one of my favorite interviews that I've ever done, if not they favorite. I said to them that I was sharing some my Ohio experiences as a child, and I said, you know, any state they gave us Dean Martin Larry Flint and the Cramps is a great state. And they laughed at that. You know, we've had astronauts and presidents and stuff.
Speaker 2: But yep, excuse me, how to.
Speaker 1: Clear my throat? But again, that's just divergent things that I could think of that make it strange. It's not like it's not your normal state, if there is a normal, but there's just there's an extra weirdness there that I can appreciate, and it sounds like you can too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Now. Minerva Monster, you mentioned that for those of listening that might not have heard of that. Can you give us a little background on what the Minerva Monster is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a bigfoot creature. That was a bigfoot creature that was seen in nineteen seventy eight in Minerva, Ohio. And he made his appearance with the and why did their name just escape my escape my brain? Oh, for goodness sakes, he made his appearance in Mi Nerva with a family and they called the local sheriff's department, and of course people came out and looked and pretty soon it got in the newspapers and then without fail, people were showing up from all over the place to try to hunt this monster. And yeah, that was I mean, the family faced a decent amount of ridicule and it wasn't until we had the documentary come out that some of them actually got a little more let's see, how do you say, like a little more acknowledgment. I guess things were put the peace a little bit better when the documentary came out, Like, oh, okay, I guess maybe that did happen. You guys weren't just making stuff up at the time, which why anybody would make that up. I don't know why anybody would want that kind of attention, especially then, but that was what happened. It was in the seventies and there were a rash of sightings. So it was the Caton family, that's right, the Caton family. I knew it'd come to me eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I enjoy those stories like that kind of a one off. I mean, I don't know necessarily that that is or not, but the things where it just happened over a short period of time and maybe a handful of people were like here in New England and Massachusetts. You have the Dover Demon, which was basically spotted over two nights, and I think it was nineteen seventy seven, seventy eight, and then it was just gone and nobody ever saw anything again, although now looking back, there's people that claimed that something similar to that had been seen before and since. But the story that I'm familiar with, it just happened. And I love that sort of thing. I love to go to those places. I'm more of a legendarypper than I am an investigator. I like to just go and if you will, basking the ambiance and say, you know, I'm in Dover, this is where this happened. I have interesting story about that. Back in the eighties, I'd going to visit a friend that was going to NYU and one weekend they said, hey, we're going to go to this house party. Go with us, and it was in Massachusetts. It was a good drive and ended up we were in Dover. We went to these people's house out in the suburbs and they're like, so, Steve, what do you think of Dover? And I'm like, well, it's it's different, you know, I'm Tennessee. And then it was kind of lost ball in highways in New York and even more so at that time in New England. And I said, oh, I think it's great. I said, I've heard about the Dover Demon. They're like the Dover Demon, and they start yelling for this guy. They're like Bill, Bill, come here, come here, and this guy. And then there was two guys named Bill, one William and the other was named Bill. I don't remember which one exactly that I met, but he was at this house party in Dover and he came out and he just he seemed kind of embarrassed or kind of humbled because his friends are making a big deal. But I spoke with one of the witnesses about it a year or two after it happened, and again he believed what he saw, sure, And I believe it was the one that drew the initial pictures of it. So if again, there was a Bill and a William that were eyewitnesses, but I don't know, you know, lost in the mists of time. I was in college at the time, and a lot of that is in a haze.
Speaker 2: I understand the years after the fact. If you were to come to Minerva now and you would go past the Caton's house, they still live in the same house. They've embraced it. Now they have a big foot statue outside of their home. Yeah, they'll talk to you about it now.
Speaker 1: And I talked about that it was on this show, or I do a blog called Around the Campfire. I might have talked about it over there. How a lot of times communities have learned to embrace these cryptids or these strange occurrences and they turn it into something that's good for the local economy. They saw soupers. They have a festival and they get people talking about it, like they have the Mothman Festival and then right the flat Woods Monster. You know, that's a big deal. And I think, what better way to share this than to make it a community wide thing. And yeah, it's kind of kitchen with the souvenirs and some of that, but it's fun and it gets an interest up. I mean, kids will always remember, you know, when I was a kid, they took me to the Mothman Festival, you know, and we saw this and we saw that, And I think that's a great way to continue interest in all things weird and spooky.
Speaker 2: Oh, I agree. I think it's one of the smartest things that community could do right, especially right now, it seems that pop culture is wanting more of these stories. There were wanting to hear about more monsters, and these festivals are just they're doing well. So you're not only preserving the story, you're helping, like you said, helping the local economy. I don't know what a town like Point Pleasant would be like without the Mothman Festival.
Speaker 1: It'd be a new age mill town without the mill I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's one of the best things that they could have done for their for their town was to have that Mothman festival and have the museum and really embrace it and not shun it so much. Now there are places where we've been uh Louisiana, Missouri, I believe is the name of the town where Momo was the which was another Bigfoot creature in the seventies nineteen seventy two. I believe they embraced the story of Momo, the whole craze of it early on after the initial sightings, but then have shunned it. So when small town Monsters went over to do the Momo documentary, they were actually told by some locals, you might as well just leave because you're not wanted here. But that's another river town that I think would greatly benefit if they were to embrace Momo and start to have a festival or something, draw people in, bring bring tourists, and there's there is something encrypted tourism, you know that and scared tourism. Good ways to bring bring in money to the local economy and then to keep the story alive as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially with some of the places now that they're doing excuse me, like the the overnight ghost hunts and things. Those things would have been demolished or just left to collapse back into the earth, like Brushing Mountain Penitentiary in Pittross, Tennessee. You know, now you can go. They've they've getten some wonderful EVPs and experiences and stories out of there. Some of the true crime locations of Aliska Axe murder house, you know, the Lizzie Borden House that's a bed and breakfast. Now, you know, it's just and it's kind of morbid, but there's I think just that's one of our characteristics as humans. We haven't innate curiosity about the darker side of things. Said, I'm thankful for that. It's provided me the opportunity to go to a lot of places and talk to a lot of people in front of a lot of people, and and you know, write a lot of books and things and mh. But yeah, embrace the strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And having these places open to the public allows for the folklore to continue, right, We get to actually be a part of it, morphing and changing, like in real time, something like Lizzie Borden House or like you mentioned Brushy Mountain when we're when we're now, it's focused on ghost hunting in the paranormal. Now that gets to take on a whole other chapter in the story of those areas, and that's pretty awesome. We have a place not far from here, Mansfield Reformatory, which is where Shoshank Redemption was filmed.
Speaker 1: I heard a lot about it. Have you been there?
Speaker 2: Oh, I've been there multiple times.
Speaker 1: And do you share with our audience a little bit of your experiences there? I've only seen it on but.
Speaker 2: Wow, sure, sure. Yeah. It's it's a gorgeous a gorgeous piece of architecture. It just looks like a castle when you drive up up to it. It's one of my favorite buildings. But the Mansield Reformatory is where I had probably the most terrifying encounter that I've that I've had to that I've witnessed. And it's weird. It's weird to stay terrifying because I wasn't It's not like a bigfoot running out of the woods, you know, and trying to eat you or something. I didn't think that I was going to die or anything like that. But up in one area of the Reformatory, it's called the West Attic, it is where once upon a time, okay, when the Reformatory was built. It was built literally as a reformatory, meaning that they wanted to reform the people that came in there, they had some issues. They would come in, they'd stay for a while and then hopefully be able to go back out to society and join the rest of the world without an issue. It was never meant to be a place for murderers and those who could never go back to society. But in the early nineteen hundreds, the Ohio State Penitentiary, which is where they had death row, there was a horrible fire. This was around Columbus, a horrible fire and the place burned down. Lots of people died, but they had inmates then that needed to be rehomed for a little while until they could rebuild the penitentiary. So what they did was they shipped some of these hardened criminals up to Mansfield and they put them in the West Attic, which is just one massive room that is about half the size of the prison itself because it's all in one wing, the size of one whole wing, just one big open room, and they shoved all the guys in there and just kind of left them be to their own devices. So today, as you can imagine, from what I understand, the guards didn't even go into that room. They just kind of let them do their own thing, but the them up in the West Attic so that they would be away from the other criminals that were in the regular cells. They didn't want the bad influence to infiltrate. So anyway, today, when you go to mansoord or Formatory and you're going on a paranormal investigation, if you go up to the West Attic, what it's most famously known for is you go and sit. There are no windows at all in this room, there's just one door in and out, and you go to the far end of the room. You sit down and you just watch, and as you're watching, you'll start to see like ghost lights start to fly around the room different colors, So that in itself is pretty neat. That's one of my favorite things to see or like the ghost lights like that. But what happened when we were there, and this has happened multiple times now that I've been there, but the first time that it happened, it was the most stunning. Of course, we were sitting there and these lights showed up and then all of a sudden, on the floor at the far end of the room, this light being it's like the opposite of a shadow person, Like a shadow person that you see, it has the defining characteristics of a human, but it's in shadow. Except that was this, except it was in light. Because the room was completely dark. We were sitting there in the pitch black, and this was illuminated being that was walking back and forth, and it would walk closer to us, and it would get within I have no idea how many feet because it was dark, so it was very difficult to gauge distance. But when it would get fairly close, then it would drop down on all fours and crawl at you, and then it would back up, but it would pace in the room, and it was illuminated. It wasn't like I mean, it was a self contained light system light source, but it illuminated enough that when it would go by the wall, you could see the walls start to light up, so we could tell when it was by the wall. We could tell when it was by the cross beams that were in the middle of the room, because those would light up with it. That was terrifying to me, just because that shouldn't exist, or at least in my mind, shouldn't exist. And so that is the probably the most terrified I've ever been on an investigation. But after I had that experience, I was not alone. There were other people with me, so at least I had other people to verify what we had all seen. But after I had that experience, I would go on different podcasts or talk to other friends that are in the paranormal community, and I would try to explain this, and no one seemed to have a similar story. They didn't know, like, I don't know what to call this. I still have no name for it, And people would talk about it and want to know if they could see it, if they went as well, and Luckily, I was fortunate enough to go back to Mansfield just a few months ago with some friends who had known the story, and I told them, let's go up to West Attic and just see if anything happens. You know, I can't guarantee that you're gonna have the same experience as I did. I don't know, but the night that I saw it, we were able to see it multiple times throughout the evening. We would leave and go to other areas of the prison and then come back and that figure would show up again. Well, sure enough, a couple months ago, when I was there with a whole new group of people, they all saw it as well. It manifested again. They all saw it. They were all equally as nervous as I was, and they it would get close and then a couple of the women would say, turn the lights on, turn the flashlight on, flashlight on, and then of course when the lights on, then you don't see anything. But that's my scary, scariest story from ghost hunting in general, but also my story from Mansfield. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing And if I'm ever in the area, I definitely want to check it out. Now, did the people you were with either time or both times. Did they see pretty much what you saw or was it different experiences for different people maybe based on their cognition, or was it a shared experience.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting that you asked that. The first time that I was there, the first time I had that experience, we all seem to see the same thing because we would sit there and as we're seeing it, we're like, what are you seeing? What are you seeing? And asking each other consistently, and everybody's repeating the same things that they're seeing the same colored same colored lights, same action of the figure, and so on. So we were all seeing the same thing this last time that we were there. Everybody was seeing it, but it seemed to be and this was odd as well. It seemed to be doing different things depending on who was seeing it. Like I could see it walk along the wall, because I could see the wall illuminate. But as I'm saying that, someone else is saying, it's coming right down the middle of the floor, or you know, it's coming to the other side of the room like they seem to be. Or the one person said they saw it walk up the wall, which I didn't see that at all, but they were seeing different things and sometimes different colors than what I was seeing, which was odd, and.
Speaker 1: I've always found that interesting. But I liken it to the parable, if you will, or the Blind Men and the elephant. You know. Once, oh, it's got a trunk, I said, No, it's flat and wide. The other No, it doesn't have a trunk, it has a tail, you know. So even though they're doing the same thing, there's a different takeaway, but yet they all experienced the same thing. I think it's kind of like that, and again, just a different perception. Maybe it presents itself to different people in different ways. Some of the things that I've experienced, I had people right along with me that had either a lesser experience or no experience at all. And I came to conclusion a few years ago because every house I've ever lived in was haunted to some degree, and I finally decided, it's not the houses that are haunted, it's me. These things choose to reveal themselves to me for whatever reason. I lived in a very very active house in Las Vegas, probably one of the most active places I've ever lived. Yet the person I shared the house with that lived there before I did, they'd never experienced anything. And it's like when I got there, then all hell broke loose, and then they eventually began to experience things, or at least that they'd admit to. I think before maybe they were just in denial of what was going on there. But again, I don't know what it is about me. Something imbued to me. Is that the negative rh factor and the green eyes? Is it all that? Am I an alien? Or you know? I subscribe to that theory. I don't think I'm from this planet. I'm just visiting here, got stranded here or something. Take me home. As long as I can take my wife with me, let's go. And she's like me, She's always been an outsider, even among the outsiders. Is I'm not from this planet? I would go to family reunions and things and things. I can't really be related to these people, can I? And I had had proof, you know, had pictures of me right after I was born and all that I used to take. You know, am I adopted or something? What happened to me? And you know my father and mother are on a spaceship somewhere. They're gonna come back for me one day if I get abducted. They took me home, but no, I was. I was born there. My grandmother witnessed the birth and according to her, my mom was knocked out. That was back when they gave women in labor twilight sleep. But I was born with a veil over my face what they call it in southern Appalachina the call just the amniotic sac was still stretched over my head and had to have it cut away. But in my superstitious granny's eyes, that was that marked me as a space child. Out of all the grandchildren, and there was a lot. My mom came from a big family, her and nine brothers. I was the only grandchild born with that condition, and that put a bullseye on me as far as Granny was concerned, and I was the one she had to pass her legacy onto. And a lot of stuff like that that I've read about, it does tend to skip a generation. Now. My mom had some precognition and things that I don't claim to have any special abilities or anything. It just is what it is. But I know things sometimes that I have no way of knowing, not as strongly as my grandmother did. But I think to some degree you have that and script you wrote for me on thirteen past midnight. You talked about your children shame things and experiencing things that leg you believe that maybe they were reincarnated or had had experiences. You want to expound on that a little bit for our audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this happened. I have three children, and this happened with two of them, my two oldest. I remember. My oldest daughter was probably three at the time, two or three maybe, well probably three because of how much she was talking, I guess. But we were on our way home from my parents. It was Christmas, I do believe, and we were stopped at a stop light and she looked out the window and she looked at the pedestrian signal and she asked what that was and I said, well, that's to let you know whether you should walk or not, you know whether it's safe to cross the street. And she was like, oh, okay, yeah, I remember, but I didn't know. I didn't know what that was like or how'd she say? I forgot it? I know that now, but I had forgotten it then. And I'm like, what do you mean? And she said, well, back before, when I was really old, I was coming home from getting groceries and I could see my house across the street. So I was almost home and I saw that sign and it was lit up, so it was lit up to say that she shouldn't cross. She's like, but I forgot what it said or what that meant. So I crossed the street anyway, and I got hit by a car and then an ambulance came and picked me up and took me to the hospital. And she was like, nobody was at the hospital. I was alone and it was cold and it was dark. But she and she's like, I was so scared, and I'm like, what do you And as she's explaining this, she's sobbing, she's just crying, like hysterically, and we're trying to calm her down because we're driving and you know, a kid in the back seat that's freaking out is no fun whenever you're you're trying to drive home in the middle of the night. But uh, she was. She just kept going on. She was very hung up on the being cold and dark and alone part of it. So we eventually got her calm down, and we'd asked her some questions after that, and essentially she just had this memory of her death. Her everything was cold and dark until all of a sudden there was a light and then she was here with this family, is what she said. So she just had this story. She said she was very old when it had occurred. And I think she gave me a name at one point in time, but it was just the first name. And that's not enough for me to go on to find any records or anything like that. But that was her story. And then it was two years later my son, who was then three as well, he's the middle child. We were sitting in the car waiting for his older sister to get out of school actually, and he said he saw me on my phone. I was playing a game of some sort, like I don't know if it was candy Crush or something like that. And he's like, oh, my, my grandma used to play that or my I think he used the word that I we never use like I think he might have said mema or something like that that we don't use that word. We've never he's never said that before, you know, she used to play games like that. And I'm like, what are you talking about, thinking about my mom or my husband's mom, and like they don't play games like this. He's like, no, no, no, my mema from before used to play those games. I'm like, okay, well tell me about her. And he's like, well, she was really she was really nice and I lived with her and she was she was just really great and I loved her very much. He's like, it's really sad what happened. And I'm like, what happened? And he started to get emotional as well, and he described living with his grandmother, that they had been a wonderful family and one night or day, I'm not sure if it was a night or day, but somebody came into the house and had attacked his grandmother, and he tried to intervene to save her, but wasn't able to do so in time. Therefore, he then spiraled and he said he was so upset that he wasn't able to save his grandma that he got into a car and he started driving really really fast, and he said, I drove really fast, and then I lost control and I hit a tree. And he said, I even remember what it was like when I hit the tree, and he's like describing in gory detail how he hit the dashboard and so on. It was horrible. He's like, but then it's like I flew out of there, and I flew right into your belly. And I'm like, what do you mean you flew into my belly. He's like, well, you were sitting in the living room. He's like, you were sitting here, or you were sitting there in the lit room and you were watching TV and eating, and I flew into your belly. And then I was ready to come into this new family. And what was really odd is that, in real like an actual time, whenever I went into labor with him, I was sitting in the living room and I was I had just gotten food, sat down, started eating, and I was watching wrestling when the first contraction hit and we had to get to the hospital right away. He was a very quick labor. But yeah, both of them had those stories. Now, my third child, she's she almost seems new to the world in a lot of ways. She doesn't I don't know. Everything seems new to her, at least from watching her grow. Everything seems new and exciting. And she's not the old soul kind of thing that you hear about. But yeah, both children had that story of what had occurred to them in their previous life and that they both their their families before so, and they both had a horrible ending too. It wasn't like they had this nice story like, yeah, I grew old and I just passed away with my family.
Speaker 1: No traumatic there, But that's still amazing. And to hear that come out of the mouth of a three year old that doesn't have any concept of any of this and just so matter of factly, and you know that's no. Kids have great imaginations and stuff. But I have a whole narrative like that, your entire previous story that would that would take some doing there. I believe there's something to all that. I've had other friends that where their child would wake up in the night crying for one parent or another or grandparents. Well they're right here, No, I mean the ones from before my other mommy, my other daddy, when I lived, you know, for and again small children that had no concept of anything like that. It's it models the mind and it gives you something to ponder, something to think about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and they grew out of those memories as well, if you were to ask them now. I'm glad that I wrote them down when I did and shared them with you, and they've been recorded because when they got to a certain age, they lost those memories.
Speaker 1: So and on hearing that now of what's their response to that anything?
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, my oldest just rolls her eyes. She rolls her eyes at anything that's weird or strange. So she's like, yeah, okay, mom my son. He just he's like, yeah, I think I remember saying that maybe, but he doesn't. It just doesn't phaze him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's strange. A lot of away. A lot of those memories, early early childhood memories like that lead people. I've known people that couldn't remember anything before they were four or five years old. But I can remember a bit of detail, like when I was still in diapers and stuff, and just again I've been blessed with a near photographic memory and it goes way back. Youngest memory that's when I was six months old.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I remember going to a place with my dad where a house was being built and they just had the foundation and I had a roof on it, and they had part of the interior wall started. It was basically just a big open space. I remember him to pick me up and put me up in there and I ran around on the sub flooring. And I mentioned that to my dad when I was like probably in my thirties or something. When I was little. Where do we go to one time? And I described that scenario and he looked at me and he said, well, that was the house you grew up in. But he said you were only six months old. He said, there's no way you can remember that, but yet I did. So I didn't know where it was. I didn't know it was the house I grew up in. I didn't remember that part, but I remembered being there and describing that situation exactly as it happened. So starring ch house some things like that will sticking it and other things maybe have no memory of, or something that I did in elementary school or even high school, I'll come back to me like, oh yeah, I remember when that happened. But I've had that happened too, where I would mention something that happened in school years and people that was there with them and I don't remember that, like yay, you were right there with me. We talked about maybe it was just so traumatic for them they blotted it out. I don't know. But getting back into the school part of this now, I mentioned in the introduction there that you're a classics professor, How do your students feel about your other fields of interest in fields of devort? Is that something you ever discussed with them or do you keep your lives separate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty separate. They're not aware of it unless they were to look into my name, I guess, so that isn't something that comes up now. I did actually last fall speak with a college class that was not mine. It was an English class, I believe, just talking to them about kind of following, following what you enjoy whenever you go out into the professional world, and then hoping that, hoping that that becomes something that's fruitful later. So they were asking me all kinds of questions about the world of the weird and how I got to be in there and how that actually became a job, because that's always the hope, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that and it is. It's such a blessing to get to do what I do and make a living doing it, you know, Otherwise I'd be working in a bookstore or a record store or pumping gas or something, because I'm not fit for any kind of normal employment, which I've proven over time, and I've worn a lot of hats. I've been a network administrator, have been technical support for a large medical group. I've worked construction, demolition, done a little bit of everything, but writing and talking seems to be my forte. My dad gave me that when I was little, because I talked a lot and he said, boy, he said, if you can ever find a way to get paid for talking, you'll be set. And here I am so thanks that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He called it.
Speaker 1: Same one that used to accuse me of having the ability to talk until I knew what I wanted to say. And that's true. I've always been very good, had the gift of gab. And one of my favorite classes that I ever took in college was extraneous speaking. I'm sorry, extemporaneous speaking. And people were panicking. You know, you had they gave you your topic on an index card and you had five minutes to prepare. And I said to the prophet, I said, that's not extemporaneous. You're giving me five minutes. I said, I want you to hand me my card when I get on the podium, and he said, you're sure you want to do this, Yes, sir, I did it, and I gave a wonderful talk. It was about the recite peace treaty or something, but I knew enough about it to compare and contrast and get through it. And he was impressed, and he said, I bet you can't do it again, and I said, I bet I can. I could do that every time. And it's just I've always read a lot and just have a broad base of knowledge, and it has provided me with ability to jack of all trades, if you will, polymath. I know a little bit about a lot of different things, but I'm really not an expert in any area. And in fact, nothing scares me away any faster than to be described as an expert in the paranormal or cryptis or anything, or for somebody to be introduced to me there, well, this is Joe Smith. He's an expert in the paranormal. Okay. I don't think there are any experts. I think we're all on a quest for more knowledge. And I gave up looking for the answers a long time ago, Heather, I've often said that now I'm just looking for the next set of questions. If we had all the answers, my journey, my personal journey, wouldn't have been near as much fun and enjoyable as it has been, and soriah Askath from where the road go. He once quipped it, it's like this big jigsaw puzzle that we're trying to put together. We don't have the box to even see what the picture is that we're trying to make. And yet the farther we get into it, we discovered that some cosmic joker has mixed maybe a dozen puzzles together. So maybe the one that we're working on there are pieces that don't fit anywhere. And I thought that was very good description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. That seems to be definitely the way it is. Always coming away with more questions and answers, that's for sure, And that's the.
Speaker 1: Way it's supposed to be. And when I've talked about my first full body apparition, long story short of the little boy ran out from behind a car that was stopped at an intersection. The driver didn't act like he saw it or whatever at all, didn't acknowledge it in the least ran kund of candy corner down into our yard, fell down and disappeared a small child. I didn't take my eyes off the spot, went straight to the spot. Nothing there, Nothing I could have mistaken for a child. Nothing, no hole or anything that somebody could have followed into. I knew every inch of that yard, and we lived quite a way back off the road, two hundred and thirteen feet from the edge of our garage to the edge of the road. I measured it later in life when I was doing BMX prints, but I was about one hundred feet out in the yard. So this happened, went right to the spot and nothing there. I even went and got a shovel out of my dad's tool shed and dug in that spot to see if there was something buried there or something. And I told that story Transisco Murdock and she said, you know, stay, you've never put down that shovel. You're still digging that. I am. I'm still looking for the disappearing child. That was what started me on my journey. And I asked Mike Granny about that. She was very intuitive, self described gypsy witch. I don't know where the gypsy part came in, but tot fortunes, red tea leaves and coffee grounds, animal and trails, things like that. And I asked her about that and she said, well, very cryptic answer. Sometimes you see things that are meant for you to see. Other times you see things that are meant for other people to see and you just happen to see it. Sometimes you'll just see things that there's no rhyme or reason, no explanation, that you'll never know, even in retrospect. So there you go. I don't know, and I still don't. But it started me on this journey. What was that? It didn't scare me. It's just like, what was that? You know, what just happened? What did I just witness? And off I went.
Speaker 2: How old were you when that happened?
Speaker 1: I was four?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow?
Speaker 1: And that's I see. I've talked to a lot of people that between the ages of three and five that seems to be the prime optimal time to have these experiences that either shut you down where you don't care, or make you curious for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: More so it makes you curious. And said that it started me on a lifelong quest. And I haven't got na for I'm still in that yard, digging with a shovel. It's just somebody else's yard in a different shovel now, but still looking for your answers.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: Now the you talked about some of your early experiences. Was that the one that kind of sets you on this path or where there are several because I had other experiences. I had more around the age of between five and six, and then again around seven and eight. That just it continued on. It just was non stop at that point and still that way to a degree. But it was you was that your impetus. Was that your aha moment when you thought, you know, there's something else out here and I got to find out what it is?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I was always intrigued by, like I said, watching unsolved mysteries, but beyond that, just in a more personal vein. My mom would tell me since I was young that she grew up in a haunted house, and I would ask her questions about that, like how did you know it was haunted? And she told me this story about when she was younger that my grandmother had bought them a Ouiji board for Christmas, and she technically bought it for my aunt, but it was of course, you know, that's a group effort for to play a wigi board, but or it should be, I guess anyway, So they were sitting and playing with the wigi board my aunt's freaked out about it, but it started to spell out that there was a spirit in the house. It said that her name was Elizabeth and that she lived in my mother's room. So Mom would tell me this story, and she also then ended it with my aunt got too freaked out and then had my grandmother burn the board, which whatever she had her burn the board. So as I would grow up, we would always drive past that my mother's childhood home on the way to visit my grandparents because they had moved just down the road into a different house when they got older, and she would always point to the house and she would point to the window that was hers, and she'd be like, that's Elizabeth's room. And I still know because I live not far from that place now which room was Elizabeth's room. But I grew up hearing that story, and I was in third grade, I believe whenever Mom bought me my first Ouiji board, and I would play on that thing with my dad, with Mom and my mom's friend that would come over and do her hair. She was really gifted with tarot cards and Ouiji boards and things like that. We would play on it all the time, and it just was I guess. There was a Oigi board in the house, and it was something that we would get on and talk to every once in a while. It's not something that I was like addicted to by any means or anything like that, but it was something that was there. It existed, and it was what it was. Mom grew up in a haunted house. She just grew up in a haunted house. There wasn't a question about it. And I think just growing up in that in that realm helped precipitate me being in this world that I'm in now. It just was. It just existed. And then as far as where Mom grew up, many years later, it was after I had started working with small town monsters and I started writing for Shannon Legroux for the Weird Writer Blog. I decided, let me take some of my skills that I've learned as an adult and see if I can find any truth to this Elizabeth story. So I went to the county courthouse and started looking up land records and I found actually there was an Elizabeth Lighty that lived in that house. She was on the deeds, which in itself was rare because this was in the eighteen hundreds to have a female on the deeds, but she was there. So there was an Elizabeth that lived in that house for real, And it was like a full circle moment to have that come back around and see that that was something that I could actually verify from this childhood story because I just always knew the name was Elizabeth and she supposedly lived in that house. And sure enough, there she is on paper. If you go to the county courthouse, you can find her. But that's how I kind of grew up with all of this stuff. It just existed. It was there, and without question. I had a moment whenever I was younger, I was probably in probably in middle school, I would say, when my parents had left to go to the store or something. They weren't home either way, and I was sitting in the living room, playing with the dogs and the cats and just watching TV, and all of a sudden, all the animals froze and they looked behind me, and it threw me off, obviously that they just suddenly stopped and they're all staring in the same place. So I turned around and looked in the doorway leading to the dining room. Right behind me, there was a man standing in the doorway. Now he was in like Native American garb. But when I first saw him, I just had this calming feeling of oh, that's just Dad, you know, like it was just a fatherly type feeling. I wasn't concerned, I wasn't scared. I just saw him and I was like, oh, And I turned back around, and then it caught up to me, Wait a second, that's not Dad. When I turned back to look a second time, it was gone and the animals had resumed back what they were doing. So we of course asked the Ouiji Bord about that later, and I was told that it was a guardian that was there. But I don't know things like that would happen. I would hear footsteps go up and down the hallway, because there's definitely a way to tell the difference between Mom and Dad's footsteps. They sounded differently if they'd get up in the middle of the night and walk out to get a glass of water or something, and it always sounded like Dad getting up and walking. But when I would get up to check it wasn't Dad, there would be nobody there. So I would think in my head, Oh, that's just that guardian walking down the Hallway again. So stuff like that is kind of what I grew up with and I think helped helped me be the person I am now.
Speaker 1: And I agree if you're around it and you're exposed to it, especially in the case of my mom, I mean, their natural was a supernatural. You know. They had regular seances, table tapping or table tapping, Wuiji boards, card readings and stuff. They grew up with it and they just didn't know any different. And her family were a part of the spiritualism movement from around the turn of the last century. And the way they got into it initially, they had a relative that never came back from World War One and they could never find out what happened to and I think that ended what nineteen eighteen something like that. I'm a little rusty with my figures here, but that was how they got into it. And just as a little girl, you know, my mom participated in those things. He knew about those things and even up till the time she married my dad. Prior to them getting married, the first time she ever took him to meet her family, they were doing a table tapping session. And now my dad, he grew up hearts gravel, apple Achia, but he got out, went the University of Tennessee, my alma mater, and it was already on his path to civil engineering and later a scientist. But he said, I, you know, it just did mystified him. He said, they sounded like a bunch of heathens. They were all sitting around the rise table, Rise, Rise, Rise. But he said he looked around at every angle. He made sure, you know, nobody had their toe under one of the table legs making it rise. Nobody had ruler up their sleeve under the table edge, you know, and making it lift up. An old parlor magic trick or anything like that. He said, there was something unseen force raising that table. And he talked about they would even take some of the grandkids, or maybe even some of the smaller kids at that time because my mom had younger siblings, put them on the table and tried to get it to rise. And he said that old farm table was creaked and groaned and tried every way in the world to rise up with that added weight on there, and it just couldn't do it. But he said, I had no explanation for it. And later in life he would talk about things that happened in the laboratory setting. He said that there'd be times when they were doing an experiment under extremely controlled conditions when things would just happen that weren't supposed to happen. They could never get it to happen again. They don't know how it happened, yet it happened. Some anomalous result, he called it. And there used to be a zine that I read back in the eighties called the Journal of every Reproducible Results, and didn't mention things like that. How sometimes despite everything we do, the natural laws that we've made come up with, they don't always correspond with supernatural laws and things. And to me, that's just fast that. You know, here's a scientist, but yet he has a belief in the supernatural, and I get it. And he experienced things, you know, when he was growing up. Now, they weren't as steeped in it as my maternal grandmother and her family, but they had their share of it, and tales passed around and hauntings and inexplicable things in the woods and stuff. So it was there. But I said, on the belief whole thing that I was born out of the union of science and superstition and I sprang forth with the best of both and bewildered, and here I still am.
Speaker 2: So that's work.
Speaker 1: It does. It sticks with you. And I had wage board experiences too. I got my first one. I don't think I was quite six years old yet. It was between kindergarten and first grade, probably that summer. It might have been the fall that I started first grade I talk about in one of my videos. But I was sick that day and been to the doctor. Had ear nosen throat problems my entire life, had to have tomsels and adenoids out when I was five. That was traumatic. Don't catch coals or the flu. The only time I've ever had the flu. I took a flu shot in nineteen eighty five and got the flu and thought I was going to die. I haven't had the flu sense, I haven't had a flu shot since, so either that one worked really, really good or it gave me the flu. But I'd been for some ent malady and we had to stop by the drug store to get my prescription filled. And I'd wandered back to the toy I my mom was going to let me get something, and I saw the Weiji board and it was the old box with the dark background and the stars and like a blue hooded figure on the front of it, like a robed figure. What is this? And she kind of explained it to me, like, oh, I want one, Can I have it? So she got me one, and I still remember sitting in that I think it was a sixty two Chevy two, sitting in the back seat that with my wage aboard in my lap. And then when we got home, opened it up and she gave me, you know, some caveats. Don't ask anything you don't want it to know, don't do it by yourself, don't ask it about your death or somebody's close to you death, things like that. Don't invite anything in that you meet on the board, you know, just some general warnings about it. And then that day we used it, and school must have been in session, because I remember the first thing I ever asked it was when will it snow this year? And it gave a date and I marked it on the calendar and I looked forward to that date as I love snow, still do. Loved a snow day though, who didn't, Yeah, sure enough? A couple of days prior to that, No, not going to snow, No snow in the forecast, but then overnight where we lived there in East Tennessee, there was a load that moved south of us. And when that happened and the conditions were right with the barometric pressure in the wintertime, we get a snow snow dumped ons had a snow day on the day it said.
Speaker 2: John Pryor, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And then the next thing, there was a record of circus music that I coveted from kindergarten and wasn't able to find it at any of the places I bought records. I was a huge, vital connoisseur even as a child, even though mostly children's records. But there was this record that they'd played for us in kindergarten that I just had to have. So we got the wageboard out, we consulted it, and it gave us the name of a fairly obscure used record store on a market square in downtown Knoxville, and sure enough, my mom looked it up in the phone book, back when there used to be such a thing as a phone book, And back then, even though they were just a few miles apart, it was long distance to call Knoxville from where we lived in Westtox County. We had an Oak Courage number, and she called the record store and I gave the title of the record to the guy and he said, I don't know, I'll look and see. He's like, I've got thousands of records in here. He used records, he said, but if I run across it, I'll call you. And I thought, okay, great, you know I'm not even six yet. That's the end of that. I'll just keep looking. But sure enough, But if it was later that day or maybe the next day, we got a call. It was the guy calling back and he said, I was in the back. I was looking for something else and I just happened to spot that because I'd given a detailed description of what the cover looked like. He said that just it fell open, and there it was in the stacks, back there in my albums, and I've got it here. I'll hold it for you if you want me to. And of course I begged my mom, and a few days later we took the trip downtown. And this was back when you shopped downtown. This was before the real advent of strip malls or any malls you went downtown to went shopping. He had to get dressed up. You know, my mom would wear he and pearls and everything. But we went downtown. We went some other places. I think we went to J. C. Pennies, and we had lunch at Crestchi's and things like that, just things that you did downtown. We had a certain lot where Weed Park, and my mom knew the parking attendant there. Her family had sold produce there. At there was a produce market not too far from there, a huge one. And sure enough we got to the record store, the guy had it and I rode home with it in my lap. Thank you with you. But again, you know, not everybody has a good experience or a positive experience. But Cisco and I've talked about that. It's a tool, and a lot of it goes on the intent what you're going to do with it. These days, I wouldn't touch one. I'm not afraid of them. I've had some experiences. Later, I'll go ahead and tell that story. I was in college, I was working at a little restaurant part time, and the guy invited me to party after work. It was at an apartment complex just down the road from before we were working there in the Cecar Bluff area. Of West Knoxville. I thought, sure, I'll go. I didn't really want to go study or anything anyway that night and I get there. It's in the clubhouse of this big apartment complex. I didn't know anybody there besides the guy that invited me from working. I didn't really know him other than just from work. So they I don't know if they had it with him, or if they found it or something. But anyway, some girls came up with a WIGI board and they decided that they would get three or four of them to do it, and they would go around this room in the clubhouse and ask questions. And they got to me, and the only thing I said was what scared me when I was a child, and I had a specific, very specific incident in mind. It was the thing in the woods that chased me out of the woods that I couldn't see. I never told that story outside the family at that point. My immediate family knew it, but certainly I never told it to the guy that I worked with, and none of the people at the party knew it. But the girls who are working the board. It starts doing the figure eight and it spells out W A T E R S. P R I t e and they look at me. I just kind of shrugged in their water sprite. It's thirsty, it wants a drink. Ha ha ha ha. And then they went on to somebody else. But my next day off, which might have been the next day, I went to the big library downtown and I went up to the reference desk and I said, what can you tell me about a water sprite or a water spirit? The reference library and goes off into the stacks. A few months later, she comes back. She's got some books there, and she showed me a bookie you probably know about this kind of stuff. There was two of them. There was a naiad and a dryad. One was a spirit of the water and the other was the spirit of the woods. They're very similar, but there are elementals, a type of the fae, if you will. And according to the Luigia Board, that's what chased me out of the woods was a water spirit. And it wasn't some little gossamer tinker building. This thing shook the ground and knocked branches out of the way higher than my head. I could see the leaves being kicked up in its way. I couldn't see it, but I could see the effects it was having on the natural environment. Ran me out of the woods, not once, but twice, once at eight years old, again at fifteen years old. But according to Ouija board, it was a faithfolk at all.
Speaker 2: Mental any had Yeah, yep there for some reason.
Speaker 1: Why only me, my dad my brother both went up there and looked around. I haven't took I brought a kid home with me from school one time. I sent him up there to go and stand with the edge of the ditch and see if you see anything. And I stood way down the hill from behind a tree, and he just looked at it, you know, looking around. No nothing but nothing came out of the woods and chased him around the ditch rather and then I even got brave. I went up closer to the edge of the ditch and had him stand down the hill didn't chase me. But the two times that I went up there alone, one a eight and want to get a fifteen chase me right out in there. What was that? I mean, what do you know anything about a nyad?
Speaker 2: Just basically what you said. Their water spirits than the dryads or the wood spirits. They're in classical mythology and normally when they're talked about, they're not I mean, any spirits from classical mythology don't tend to be like tinkerbellt type spirits either, as far as that goes.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing you dig into the faith folk, and particularly in Celtic countries where that was almost religion, may still be. They're evil creatures. You had to appease them, and they would trick you, and they would. There's only like one and there's different clans and different types. There's one type of them that's kind of nice. I think those are pixies or something, but I don't I can't articulate all I know about it. But they're not nice things. But they describe things like in Ireland, the story I wrote from read from the uh these like seventeen hundreds maybe early eighteen hundreds about some little men and a horseless carriage that came down from the sky. Well there's a Ufo experience. Or there were types of them that were big hairy men that lived in the woods. There's Bigfoot or Sasquatch or Yowie or whatever. It's kind of an umbrella that everything else fits under. But you can talk to a bigfoot enthusiast or a UFO experiencer and mentioned the fae, they'll snicker at you. They're like, oh, that doesn't I think it does. I think it all ties together. Do you have any thoughts on that. I'm sorry to put you on spar here.
Speaker 2: No, it's fine. No. I think that it all ties together, and I think that we'd get more. I mean, we talked about earlier how you end up with more questions than answers, but I think that we'd end up with some more answers if we would all kind of work together and get over this. Well, you know, this is real, but that's not kind of situation. It's all weird, it's all strange. So there's definitely corresponding things about UFOs between ghosts, between is that just overlap one another. That if we were to take the time and actually communicate with one another, I think we might have more answers. I'm not saying that we would have answers to everything, but we would have more than what we have now. At least that's my belief.
Speaker 1: I agree, and it would fit it within a broader scope from which to to do those studies and things from. But yeah, people will fight you over their individual beliefs. I've seen that happen at Bigfoot conferences and then when I was spoke at to UFO conference in San Francisco a couple of years ago. Now, obviously people almost get into fist fights over stuff, and you know, like, that's not why we're here to argue. We're here to present our opinion, not necessarily to defend it, and a lot of people don't get that. On this show, I've had a couple of pastors on from sialment so far Messianic ministries and look at the paranormal and UFOs and things like that from not only a biblical perspective, but from the perspective of the Tora being Messianic Jews, they follow both thea and the Bible, and they have some interesting things to say. Again, you know, people, it's it's controversial and not everybody's going to agree with it. But I like to keep an open mind. You know. I don't think, especially when you have something like this, that there are no experts in their own, no answers, there is no right or wrong opinion. But I like to hear other people's opinion. I didn't invite them here, any of the times that they've been on to beat them up about it or get them to defend it. I just want to know what that opinion is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, And it's it's weird, like, not only do you see the fighting between the different groups between like UFOs and ghosts and Bigfoot and things like that, but we also as humans apparently like to fight about anything we can fight about, and there's infighting even within those particular communities. In the Bigfoot community, people take a side as to what they think Bigfoot is and then that's the only way they don't want to hear any other arguments to it. And the same thing with dog. I mean, it gets it gets pretty vicious sometimes and I just don't understand it. I don't get why why we're so drawn to wanting to fight and have all of this drama instead of trying to figure things out. Like you said, we don't have experts in this field, We don't have the answers like that, so what are we doing well?
Speaker 1: It reminds me of the movie from the seventies, The Warriors. Did you ever see that about the gangs in New York City? Cyrus, the leader of all the gangs, was trying to tell them that. You know, they said, we're here between us. We're fighting over a few square feet of sidewalk, our turf. He said, but if we banned together, we outnumber everybody or the police and everything, and we could run New York City. And then they killed him, and that was the whole movie was the warriors got blamed for it, and they were trying to make their way back to their turf, which was at Cody Island. A great movie. It's very dated, but that's always stuck with me. You know, we're here fighting over a few feet of sidewalk. Band together, we're bigger than everything out there. Yeah, exactly, A nice way I worked the name of the show and there unintentionally everything out there.
Speaker 2: There you go, perfect.
Speaker 1: Unintended plug there for my own show. Heather, What have you got coming up? You mentioned some of the small town monster stuff. What else is going on for you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, I recently had a short story printed in something called The Dark Village. It's an anthology of different short stories. Congratulacens, thank you, thank you. That short story is called The Wind to Go. That one was a lot of fun to write, a different kind of playing with perspective a little bit on that. So I've got that, and then I have articles in the Feminine Macabre series in journals one, three, and five. So I talk about cursed objects, particularly the rocks from the bell Witch Cave in the first journal, in the third one I talk about headless ghosts, and then in the fifth one I talk about goat man, which reminds me. I wanted to ask you, Steve, if you've heard of any goat man stories from Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Not from Tennessee in particular. But let me look into my research and I'll get back with you on that. I did something about the goat man or goat men recently. Martin Nunley wrote a thing for me and I narrated it for a project I had called Weird World. But I've got some other stuff. Let me look and see. Yes, But it's just everything you mentioned there is something that I've looked into at one time or another. You mentioned the Belle Witch. Now growing up in East Tennessee, that was a big deal for me, not as much as it was for kids in Middle Tennessee. But I told you the story that you'd never heard about, a Bloody Mary type game that we played in grade school that was based on the bell and we're the same. You went into a darkened bathroom and you peered into the mirror, and instead of saying bloody Mary three times, you said I don't believe in the bell Witch. Three times. She would supposed to come out of the mirror and scratch you on the face. And I was at a kid party one time, on somebody's birthday party. I was maybe eight nine years old. The little girl went in the bathroom, did that. Sure enough, she came running out screaming, had three scratches on her face. Now probably self inflicted, but it scared to pants off all the little kids at that party. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, yeah, you definitely don't want to mess with the bell Witch, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And I also told you the story about how the library book at the Big Library in Knoxville was perpetually checked out you couldn't find I can't remember the name of the book. It was one of the pre eminent bell Witch books. And the story that was told when it finally did come back after a couple of years, it was just said that then it was in the collections. You could only look at it there at the library, probably because it was a rare book. But the story that was told on the playground was that when they finally found it, the guy that had checked it out for a couple of years was found dead in his bed and that was what he was reading, and he had been there for some time. Nothing but a skeleton left. But they returned the book to the library, and that's why nobody could check it out because it was cursed.
Speaker 2: That's quite a story.
Speaker 1: For interesting playground fodder. That would be a book right there. The strange things on the playground and people recount their stuff. They heard his kids. I've done stuff about urban legends and stories, you know, from a friend of a friend, the gospel truth. Oh no, that really happened. It happened to our neighbors, cousins, uncle's nephew.
Speaker 2: But right, but.
Speaker 1: Nothing shattered my world. As John or Jan Harold Brunvan, he's a think he's a professor of folklore and mythology, and somewhere in Utah. He put out a book in the seventies called The Vashing Hitchhiker was the fast on he did the first one. He did a series of books, and a lot of those stories I'd heard those as gospel truth growing up. No, No, that happened to my cousin. No, that one happened to a friend of a lady that does my mom's hair. These stories happened, but they didn't. And you know, they served as cautionary tales and kept me out of some trouble. Probably you know, kept me out of the lake because of the water moccasins, or kept me from going to the bathroom at all Mart because some kid was mutilated and there as part of a gang initiation, a runner to Walmart. We had a local store there in Knoxville, I think it was local called all Mart A L M A R T. And the story was that the kid was around his eighth birthday. He had gone to the want to go to the bathroom by himself, like, Mom, I'm too big to go to the lady's room with you. I'll go by myself. So she stands there and waits on him. He goes to the bathroom, he's gone, gone, gone, gone, never comes out. Instead of going in looking for him, next person, the next mail that starts and she said, sir, would you tell me if there's a little boy in there, and describes it guy goes in, he comes running back out. He said, lady, you better get in there with him. I'm going to go up front and ask him to call an ambulance. And as part of a gang initiation, and she had mentioned earlier in the story that she saw three dirty looking boys come out of there, three trashy looking boys come out. Well, they've been part of a gang. And as part of initiation, they castrated this little boy, Oh my godness, through his member in the parking lot where it was run over by a car and couldn't be saved. He had to have a sexual reassignment surgery and change schools. But wow, as a kid and believed every single word of it. I was just there with by parents. One time I had to go to the bathroom. I couldn't even find my mom and dad. So instead of raving this was the almart on Clinton Highway, instead of going in there by myself, I went outside around the building, around in the back in the dark and eat on the wall. It was a much more danger back there. But yeah, that was so ingrained in my head that I'm not going to go to the bathroom in there. I know what happens, and there I'll go outside be by the dumpster. But again that story was in there that I think the ever Penis was the name of it. But again I heard that as gospel truth and believed it. And the one about the Avon lady that wasn't an Avon lady, that was a man in a dress, and in his Avon sample bag he had a hatchet and a hank of rope and some handcuffs, you know, and all that, Oh my goodness. And the beauty shop, the beauty parlor, and back in by day in the late sixties early seventies, a lot of women, particularly in our community in East Tennessee, they would have those shops in their basement. Not only did they make a few extra bucks doing hair, but they got all the neighborhood gossip. I heard similar stories from both. My mom got her hair done two different ladies because they were both friends her friends, so she alternated. But heard those stories at both beauty shops. When I would tell you along and sitting with the dryer chairs, well, my mom was getting a permanent But again I grow up. And some of the others are the one about the kid water skiing and running into a nest of water, moccasins and dying before they could get them out of the water. My aunt from Alabama told that that it happened to a friend that her or kid that her son went to school with in Scottsboro, Alabama. Never happened, but again, there was just such a part of childhood and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what you were talking about, the book always being checked out or reminds me of the book that was always checked out when I was in elementary school with scary stories to tell in the dark, and that that one had very similar things. It had well all kinds of scary stories, so to speak, but mostly urban legends. And so there were stories of like the spot, you know, where somebody had what looked like a pimple on their face, but it was actually spider eggs had been nested on their face and then it would just explode, and there spiders everywhere.
Speaker 1: Urban legend too, and yep, the deal that I heard from the sixties was it was a boufont hair. The girl had her hair piled up and rather than take it down, she just kept lacquering it with hairspray until it was just a solid, massive hair and spiders got in there and laid eggs and hatched out and they were like eating into her brain or something. I don't know. It was frightening, but yeah, that's another one of those. Oh it had happened, but it didn't, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but learning tools, trying to scare the kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm just getting into the stories told in the dark. My wife's from that era. She was born in eighty five, and I've come to appreciate those in the Goosebumps series. I never really paid much attention to those, but she was big into that. So we've got a collection of R. L. Steinbooks going here. And I loved the Scholastic stuff when I was a kid, Missus Coverlets, Magicians and what was the other one that I absolutely adored The Mad Scientists Club by Burton Brindley. And it's just those books just spurred me on. And there was a lot of spooky stuff back then too, and Frank Edwards books Strange World, Stranger than science, Stranger than fiction. I read a lot of that was introduction to a lot of stuff within the paranormal realm and supernatural for me, and everything in there wasn't supernatural, so it was just strange. But had away the David Lang disappearance with the guy I was walking across the field and disappeared in full view of his wife and children and the two guys and a bugy coming up the road. That was the first place I ever heard that was in a Frank Edwards book. So books of the Key, yeah, were always an escape for me. I didn't have any friends, but I had a lot of books.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We used to have this, We used to have this program called riff Reading is Fundamentals. Yeah, And that's where I got introduced to a series called The Bailey school Kids. And the first the first book that I picked up from that series happened to be the first book from the series, luckily, but it was called Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots. And it follows these kids that every time there's like a new teacher, a new janitor something, they have this theory that they're a vampire. Another one's like ghostone eat potato chips or whatever.
Speaker 1: And she's a fan of those. I need to read those.
Speaker 2: They are so good. I have like the first twenty sum still from whenever I was a child. I've got them on the shelf over here. But that also brought me into that world because there was a big foot one, there was a werewolf one, there was a vampire one, there was a goblin. I think there was even like well, I know there was a leprechaun one. But yeah, they they covered all kinds of things like that, and so I read more of those than I did the Goosebump series. I did read Goosebumps, but I was into the Bailey school kids a little bit more.
Speaker 1: And this was another touchstone for her. Are you Afraid of the Dark? Did you watch those?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes I did.
Speaker 1: And in fact, that's one of the names she uses on YouTube is Midnight Society, and that's that's how I first noticed her when she was coming and listening to me. That name stood out to me in the chat and it just kind of went from there. But we watched those and I'm a big fan. I watch them as an adult. I was in college, but I love those shows. And DJ McHale, who wrote a lot of those and a lot of them under a pen name because he didn't want his name all over everything. He's a friend of mine. I'm going to have him on the show sometimes. He influenced the whole generation the kids there, and for a kids show, and you'll see if you agree here that was some of the scariest stuff ever on television. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did a good job with that, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And I'd like to talk to ri al Stein too. I've got some juvenile fiction of that turn in the works, and my wife's working on a book too, that in that same vein, and it's gonna be a lot of fun. And I love the idea of writing for kids, but I just I don't know. I'll turned sixty last year. I don't know if I'm so far out of touch that I couldn't write for this generation of kids. But I'd like to give it a try.
Speaker 2: Right, I think you should do it. I support this wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, thank you. But now you mentioned the Weird Writer Blog. There was some of your articles over there that I wanted you to do for thirteen Past Midnight, and you did, thankfully. Do you still write for that? Does Heather still do that? I've been out of the loop on a lot of this peripheral stuff for a while. I'm not sure what's going on.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't written for Shannon in a while.
Speaker 1: Did I say, Heather? I meant Shannon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's okay. She She basically got to a point where she was like, listen, you need to start writing for yourself and get get more things out there. Quit quit writing for me.
Speaker 1: Uh good. One that particularly stands out is Witches and silver Bullets.
Speaker 2: Yes, you remember that one.
Speaker 1: And I think you narrated that one as well, and that I you know, always heard about the silver bullet as you know, the way to fend off the wolf man, but I'd never heard of it being used against witches. So that was educational for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's I had found a lot of that in uh Patrick Gainor's Witches, Ghosts and Signs. There are stories in there about the silver bullet. And even in the Bell Witch story there was a guy who claimed to be a witch hunter came in with a silver bullet waving it around, saying that he could handle the witch, and of course she put him to shame and had him running out crying by the end of it. But yeah, it is something like you said, most people think about it's keeping the werewolves away, but witches are known to be that's one of their weaknesses. Of silver bullets.
Speaker 1: Now, my granny used garlic and even though she was a self proclaimed witch, there were other witches that she didn't want anything to do with. And the old farmhouse she lived in, old Victorian farmhouse had the old keyholes in the doors, and she would put a cloak of garlic in there to keep witches from coming through the keyhole. Have you ever heard anything like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, not putting garlic in there, but definitely heard about them coming through the keyhole and shape shifting into like black cats and things like that to get into They.
Speaker 1: Could come down the fireplace too. And what was the other thing she used to do now, of course, when anybody died, they hung cloth over the mirror, but that was to keep the spirit from getting trapped in the house. Their porches, the feeling of the porch, the roof of the porch, the underneath of it, anyway, was always painted haint and blue. Have you ever heard of this story behind that? Yes, that a spirit coming up to enter the house up to no good would look up and see that and think it was the sky and fly up through the porch roof and be gone. Must have worked, because I don't think our house was hatted. But I really enjoy a lot of the folklore and stuff, particularly from the Southern Appleatches. I mean, that's where I grew up, but sounds like there's parts of that in the Appleatches that are close to you there too than the northern part.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, It's definitely been interesting to look at some of the overlap between the Northern and the Southern Appalaches and our stories. It's just that it seems like there was a higher degree of storytelling in general in the Southern Appleaches, if that makes sense, and that seems to be written down more, at least officially written down more in books than there were in the Northern Appalachians. And I find that kind of sad, and.
Speaker 1: I attribute to that to people like, uh, you may have never heard of them. But there was a guy in Knoxville that wrote in the paper named Bert Vincent and he had to call Umn on Sundays. I think it was like just walking about or something like that. He had two volumes out of there was a little bit of everything in there, but there was a lot of hate and booger and witch tales from the Smokies in that area. And had both those books growing up, had them around the house. An autograph copy of one of them that my mom had picked up somewhere. But it was just a part of that, the oral tradition and the written tradition. You had people like him look for him on Amazon. Hey by this interesting Burt Vincent columns for the Knoxville News Sentinel and another person that kind of carried that on wash And I can't remember the guy's name now, Sam Sam Somebody had Full of Thumbs and two left Feet is the name of his book, But yeah, wrote I call him later in the kind of the same and bird had picked it up, and I think Carson Burg or somebody like that. But that opened a lot of tales. Of course, the Foxfire books. I think it's Foxfire Volume two that has the hains and witches and stuff in it.
Speaker 2: That was also on my shelf right now, I'm looking right back.
Speaker 1: I love that one. And of course Charles own Price was from the South and he wrote a lot about little towns, in particular Haunted Jonesborough, Haunted Knoxville, Haunted Nashville, and his Canada works. I think he's passed on now, but anybody that's interested in Southern hauntings things are his books. Well. Srry Well then, of course was it thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey. I can't remember the lady's name, but she did Alabama, Georgia, I think Tennessee too, and Jeffrey was her resident ghost. But she wrote a lot of those tales out and then of course in historic Jonesboro, Tennessee. You have to say that historic part. They're proud of that. They have the International Storytelling Convention October. I've been there as in the audience, but I've never been there as a participant. But that is some fun to hear those stories come to life from good storytellers.
Speaker 2: I bet that sounds like a great place to go.
Speaker 1: Now we talked about the bell Witch Cave. We're almost out of time here, but have you ever visited the Belwitch Cave for the grounds there?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I've been down to Adams, Tennessee a couple of times. The first time that I went down, I actually wasn't able to go to the cave because there had been torrential downpours in the cave flood.
Speaker 1: Red River floods like you wouldn't believe right there. But yeah, Christo, the owner or her husband own that. She's a friend of mine and the first time that I went, there was nobody there who got like a personal tour. She's got photographs coming back then. This was in the early nineties. She had a couple of photo albums full of pictures that she had taken, a full of pictures that people had sent back of anominal of stuff down there. I had my first digital camera and no Kodak had like half a megapixel I think. But I got some weird pictures there too. But if anybody has an interest in that at all, it's worth checking out. Certainly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was there and actually got to go to the cave, it was a similar situation. I had to wait for more people to show up for them to do a tour. So I sat with Chris and talked with her for probably an hour or two hours before enough people showed up and they're like, Okay, now we can go into the cave.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think she had a couple of little books that she sold. I bought those, and then it's before she had the gift shop, and we sat out there. There was like a gazebo or a picnic table or something up there, and she showed me all these pictures and then talked about all the stuff that people have taken that's come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, exactly. That's where you get into the cursed objects, the rocks and things. And even now now, what she does is she'll get porcelain dolls and paint them up to look like zombies or something grotesque and sell them. And they're getting sent back now as well.
Speaker 1: That way, should just sell them again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what she does.
Speaker 1: A lot of times when they're not there and they locked the gate, she said come back, and there would be a rock or something with a note tied to it. So I took this out of the cave. I'm sorry, please put it back. It was near this place or that place, and I get it. There's a lot of places like that, petrified forest, other caves, Mammoth Cave. There's places where you just don't take stuff because you might take home more than you bargained with. The troll bridge outside of Portland, Oregon, I've heard weird stories about people that took troll dolls from there. You're supposed to leave them, not take them. But anyway, we're almost out of time for this episode. Thank you for joining us here on everything out there. Any parting words for the audience.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for having me. I've loved being here. Parting words, man, just stay weird, stay.
Speaker 1: Weird, better weird than plastic. I love it all right. And I'll leave links to the show notes where you can find small Town Monsters. And again, Heather, thank you for joining us. Go ahead and sign off here once again, you've been listening to everything out there on the Clyde Lewis Ground zero Radio Network. I'm Steve Stockton. I'll see you a little further on down the trail. Tell your animals, I said, Hi. Good night everybody,