Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of Tonk Vacation. This is episode thirty three. This is a podcast dedicated to finding the joy in unfettered creativity, and it's also a podcast dedicated to bringing awareness in context to movies of any budget, from anywhere and during any time. And this is actually that mission statement truly couldn't apply more to this episode in particular. First off, I just want to say welcome back, Chris, thank you, and we are actually jumping into another episode that we recorded. This is kind of just like an intro for that. We did an episode with Celeste where they had us on for their live stream and we talked about all most of the October a little bit of a September because there's a bit of a cheat there with the delay on the Sato release. But we talk about the Fireworks, Woman, Hot Honey, a couple other Billlustic titles, the Violation of Claudia, and a couple partner releases, and it's awesome. We really got to like it went so well. We're doing this again in the new year, which recording this. Yeah, we're going to talk about the November releases because it was such an incredible slate and quite a big slate with partner titles, So really really stoked to present this episode to everyone, and without further ado, let's just jump right into it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, if you've been paying attention to my YouTube channel the past week or so, you'll have seen that I've been uploading in batches the segment that I do for Punk Vacation called fifteen Minutes with You, which is where I review the month's slate of releases over on the Miliu scene site. So all the Vininger Syndrome, Hardcourt titles, all the sub labels, and all the partner labels. Hi, Tony, thank you for being here. It's been nice going through those old segments and re cutting them and sort of recontextualizing them for YouTube. It was way more of a project and way more of a pain than I thought it would be because YouTube is kind of a platform built for babies, and I had to sort of attempt to water down the content as much as possible on the front end so that I don't get in trouble by the time people actually start listening to the segment. But it's uh, yeah, it's been nice to see how far the segment has gone. How far it's come. Uh, and I have with me the co hosts of Punk Vacation waiting in the wings, So do me a favor, y'all, and let me know if the sound is good, because the last time I did this, I looked and my guests sound was like way too low. So I've done my best to adjust that intuitively. But if you can't hear them, let me know. But uh, okay, we're gonna go ahead and bring in Chris of Punk Vacation nonofficial Vineger stations and podcast, which introduces.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, Chris has here. I probably know a lot of y'all, but if I don't know you, thank you for supporting Celeste. She's awesome and this has been a long time in the making, and I agree October and remember well October anyways was just a crazy month for the melos in side, so it will be fun to dig through some of this to stay with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad Chris said something because we've both just said hello, and I realized there were no names attached to that, so but I think we look like our voices, so I think people would have figured it out. But yeah, hey, thanks for being here. Everybody, and thanks for having us. I'm like really stoked. I remember when this first when we first when you first kind of pitched this to us, I also was like I kind of just asked. I think I was like, hey, can I join you to talk about the October titles because they I mean, the fact that Sato got kind of inducted into that made it even more exciting.
Speaker 3: I'll just say, Celeste, this is a We've talked about this on the Punk Vacation, but coming on here, I'll say thank you again for letting me do Punk Vacation back in the day. And I've always loved your Vinegar Syndrome content, so I appreciated you being cool with me taking on this little initiative and then eventually even joining me. I think Eli might not be here if it wasn't for you, because it kind of teased the idea of the fact that I shouldn't do it solo and to cover the adult content, and both things are correct, And yeah, I've been loving your segments and contribution, and then obviously really desperately needed a co host, So Eli, I'm really happy you joined as well.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm I told you as soon as Chris asked, I was like, yeah, I'm super stoked, and it's such a great I love being able to jump on both segments, like to pervout with Celeste and also chat genre. It's like kind of my ideal sweet spot. So yeah, I'm really stoked, and I'm also so really stoked that we're like so close to it's funny we're not even covering the November releases, which are insane. But also I'm super stoked for subscriber Week. I don't know how many people are actually stoked to see what's in store, but for me, it's not just like I'm mostly stoked because you know, obviously they're going to go big that week, but excited to see how big they go on the mal you see side.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that you say big, because that's one thing I noticed going through some of these films was maybe this is going to be commonplace for y'all. But I feel like in vintage porn it wasn't always just about the massive dick. It had like more humans, irregular human sized penises, and a lot of the stuff we're going to be talking about today. And I just want to go on the record to saying I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean people were also allowed to have like crooked teeth and hairy bodies and it wasn't considered like a fetish if they had hair. Yeah, you know, it wasn't a subsection in the video story yet, so like it, you know, And it's funny because I feel like now there probably needs to be a video section that says like plot if it has a plot, And obviously we'll talk about that also with regards to a couple of these movies, because they do have plots, but some even the ones that don't, are still plot heavy in a way. Yeah, it definitely, it definitely does feel like the everyman is performing in these scenes and the every woman and every person. Yeah yeah, yeah. I And also, by the way, this was, in my opinion, a very strong year for Meluccene, even beyond this month and even beyond the Mitchell Brothers, Like they had some really interesting from January onward. It was like kind of an incredible release schedule. And I you know, personally, I hadn't gotten around to getting a lot of the old Pikarama DVDs, so I was really happy that they got HD upgrades. So yeah, really, really, really stoked for that to see like what what's what they're upgrading next, and also like what they're digging up not just from like Mitchell Brothers, but just in general, like what they're going to do with the quality X and all the sub labels and partner labels. Because obviously Celesti, she's going to talk about this or they're going to talk about this closer to probably on the next episode. But you know, now they're doing like Delirium Home Video, which is a lot of just Franco adult stuff and like, you know, titles that aren't exclusive to just Vinegar Syndrome's warehouse. I guess you could say, yeah, so really starting for that.
Speaker 3: Behind the Green Door is selling well, Like it's already got twenty seven hundred copies sold, which is pretty great.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's great. How many slips did they do? Four thousand? Awesome? Yeah, even Fireworks Women at first wasn't felt like it wasn't selling super well, but now it looks like it's like going, it's like going a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Have you prior to this year, had you seen every single title in a calendar year for releasing?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: No, I had seen a couple things here and there, and like I would pick up stuff on sales and I'm trying to think if I even ever bought like a new release from them before this. I just don't really buy new releases in general. Like this year, I think the only thing I pre ordered was that new Possession set, which is like.
Speaker 1: Well, that's like I must buy. Yeah, that was like a day one I I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I pre ordered it the second it went up.
Speaker 3: Which won the Second Site one mm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did too. I got it from Atomic like right away.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see.
Speaker 3: Here on that movie at least twice already, but I made I made triple to.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see here.
Speaker 2: If you can afford it, it's worth it because I think it might be selling out places and uh, I don't have it on me, but it has. I mean, I guess it depends on how much you love this movie, because Second Site likes to do these editions where it's like larger than like a like a hardback like academic like encyclopedia or something, and like that's kind of a lot. If it's just like a movie that's like a seven or an eight out of ten for me. But when it's my second favorite film of all time. I'm like, make it as big as you want. I'm well here.
Speaker 1: For it, you know. Yeah, Yeah, that's a that that that box is it is a that's a big I just got it, and good god, it is crazy. It's up there with the Hitcher in terms of like size. I couldn't. Yeah, but I'm happy to own that too. I'm the same way like I'm I've been pretty good about going back to standards when I when I can. But but that one, yeah, that was a little that was kind of irresistible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm definitely like in standards mode as of late, because it's just like it's too much, you know, it's much space and too much money, and you know, I just what's on the disc is usually fine, I mean, you know, I mean, I'm a sucker for the books and the booklets and stuff, but I can't always have it right. But that one it has the script included, and it has like a big chunky book full of all sorts of like history and essays. It has all sorts of new special features. I think it's the first time the American cut has been remastered in four K, which I've actually never seen the American cut. I know it's not supposed to be great, but like just in terms of having the option, it'd be interesting. Yeah, I'm really really stuck. Like I came in and I was like, Mary christ from me.
Speaker 3: That's not a seven ear and eight for me, that's a ten, So I'll get it. I was laughing at I was walking through. There's a video store here in Austin called Waterloo Records, and I mean it's a music store, but they have movies as well. And I finally got to see the imprint version of The Keep. Have you seen this thing?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh I've only seen.
Speaker 1: I've seen pictures like like for reference, I've seen people on like Reddit and Facebook, but like they're like, this is the Keep, this is the other Keep, and it literally is like the palm of your hand versus like a door.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's so big for that movie. That's not a tent. I mean it's a fun movie, but that's not a yah.
Speaker 2: I actually like it a lot, but I wouldn't need a coffee table book.
Speaker 1: Of it for my house, you know, yeah, totally totally, that's like I agree. Yeah, I also, well, you know, it's funny, just to tie this back to Melu scene. When it comes to a Melu scene release, that's when I'm gonna get a big book, Like that's when I want the slip cover with all the stuff, because that's usually what where it comes with the literature, with all the contexts and stuff that you need for something like this. For sure, you know, I mean, I'm sure there are some people who do buy it for its original intended purpose, but I would I would venture to say ninety percent of people buying Malo, you see titles are more in it for a sort of like you know, for the like the artifactualness of it.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jeff, thanks for being here. Okay, so should we go over the titles that we're going to talk about to there? Just like absolutely rundown Now I'm live. Yeah, so I meant to say this before we went live, but please be careful about what we show on screen because I could get in trouble. I'm just looking at these cover arts. I think they're all safe. Yeah, we're good to go, all right. So I think so Chris has seen half of these, and I think he said he has to take a work call at some point, so he might need to peace out after we go over the stuff that we have all seen, and then Eli, you and I can cover the other two. So I think this is the order that makes sense the what I'm looking at right now. So we're gonna do the I haven't actually tried to pronounce this out loud. The films of Hisa Yasu Sato pretty okay, Yeah, yeah, nice, okay, featuring the films Rewind, Lust Mord, and Love Letter in the Sand. I guess start with the most insane shit first, right?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I guess that's subjective. These are all pretty out there. The next from the boy fucking Goaded Classic Man Wes Craven, we have the Fireworks Woman aka the Fireworks Man, and then from uh Exploitation Extraordinaire William slash Bill Lustig, we have the Violation of Claudia and I think I'm good hot honey. And then finally, I'm not going to show this back art work we have inside Jennifer Wells, which real ball knowers, all right, Jennifer Wells, Yeah, Goaded, Okay, so I'm excited about that. Yeah, all mel you seen titles, correct, Jeff. I could be punk rock and just show it, but that might literally get my channel in trouble. So we're trying not to do that if we can avoid it. Man, let me tell you, Let me tell you about my week. So I was like, oh, let me just pull the audio from the h from because I send Chris the audio when I'm done, and then he stitches it into the episode, and I'm like, I'll just pull those redownload them, throw a couple of static images up, make a thumbnail real quick, put it up there. It should be a few hours. This project. Couldn't find the old files because they were they get auto deleted from Google Drive, I guess after a certain amount of time. So I had to like pull the entire podcast audio from Podbean or whatever the source I used was and then re cut it down to just pull my segment from it. And then it started to occur to me as I was doing this and as I was creating thumbnails, like oh, this is just like porn that I'm talking about and that I'm making thumbnails for, and YouTube doesn't even like it when you talk about like way less controversial stuff than that. So I've just been kind of I was just kind of had to like re upload and like test like different thumbnails and different static images and stuff, and I finally got it down to a science where I can upload this stuff and not get in trouble. But it took forever. It was a whole process, and you know, I gotta say at the end of it, I am proud of myself because I mean we've always been talking about how like sort of thoughtfully or academically analyzing porn is like a pretty niche thing in and of itself, but of the stuff that exists, it's like entirely in academic books or on podcasts, because I think everybody kind of knew intuitively what I had to figure out, which is that it's not worth a headache to try to do this on YouTube. So like I was looking and like I can't. I'm not to like say that, you know, I'm sure there's other people that I just missed, but like I couldn't find them, so like it might just be me doing this on YouTube, And so I'm forging a path to make it to set the precedent that this is okay to talk about on YouTube. So I'm excited about that. I'm proud of that. Hopefully it's worth it.
Speaker 1: I think it is. I think so because I think we're I think things are getting too I think things are getting a little too puritanical again.
Speaker 2: M hmmmm.
Speaker 1: I think I think we've looped back around to a weird puritanical thing. And like like even some people I don't even think know that they're doing it, but like I think that there's this just this general disposition and a lot of stuff on on like TV and in movies that it's just like really antiseptic and and you know, like I'm not saying that that even porn from back then couldn't be clinical, but I feel like they it was genuinely being transgressive still there was still room for that in a way that's not like, uh, I don't know. Now it's it's like it's so much more self aware about its transgressiveness, not just important. I mean, in general, I don't think porn's actually meant to be transgressive anymore. I think now it's so fetishistic that it's not transgression. It's just more commerce than ever. I don't know, I mean, you can make the argument.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely more of like analogous to like pornographers are like analogous like chefs at this point, as opposed to like, right, because they're definitely tailoring for very specific requests and needs and you know, yeah, yeah, exactly, it's the artist to it. You know, you'll never catch me discounting the contributions of sex workers.
Speaker 1: To our sure, No, no, I don't. I don't know. I agree wholeheartedly. Yeah, no, I just think that. But I do think that. You know, it's a lot different, and it's obviously shot you can now just shoot it on your phone and it looks it can look comparable to a fucking a digital camera. I mean, it is a digital camera, right, but like you know, so, it's just it went way. The stakes were kind of different, I guess, and the approach was also obviously the form and the function where even though there is like the same notes, the music was different. I guess, best way you can say.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah for sure, all right, I guess let's get started. Let's start with the set first in the new line Pink Line, which I looked because there was a lot of talk on the special features for this release that uh think you films are very specific. It's very specifically like softcore shot on film out side the studio system, like those are kind of the parameters for a pink film, and so like Roman Porno and all these other things that I think we kind of lump into, like Japanese hardcoren s exploitation are like technically different, and so I was like, oh, are we just doing pink films? Am I gonna have to suffer three more sublabel fucking announcements for like the different things. But if you read it, it says, hold on, I had it pulled up, and I get this pulled back up labels pink Line. Pink Line will present exclusive new restorations of select works from key Asian erotic filmmakers, the focus on Japan's pink eu aiga genre, so not even just Japan. So thankfully they can kind of put anything with the vibe in that one bucket and you don't have to have twenty five more sub labels.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that if they're saying specific filmmakers, there's like a lot and I'm I only know this from like cursory research, not anything I pulled up today. But there's like the the pink U Godfathers. There was like four or like four of them, and Sato's one of them. I wish I could tell you this is about where it gets a little more like uh, like I I for me, up until this line, most pinky in general, most pinky films, and for people listening they go by pink, pinky, pinkuo, depending on the context. But I know that there's some I've seen through, like I think Toy even did some. Maybe I could be wrong. I don't know if it's based on like a rating, but you know, rather than just a genre. But like, uh, I think Chris might be able to speak to this, but I think a few Mando releases would fall under pink, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: There's different companies testing there putting their toes in the water a little bit. Manda Micawber has done it now, Connie has one that came out that we'll be talking about soon. But the thing that I love about this is, you know, they like this ties well into the history of Japan overall, because Japan had a big problem competing with TV. Like once TV was introduced, it became ubiquitous very fast, and so theatrical was always struggling after the sixties seventies in that era, and so there is a lot like if you look at a lot of the non sex movies, but like a lot of the exploitation movies, a lot of the hero is shie stuff. There's always pushing the boundaries, becoming more and more extreme. And then V Cinema came out of that because they realized that there was this incredible market for home video. So there's all these things kind of happening like at the same time. And even though Japan we were talking about going puritanical, Japan has always had this really weird tension with sex right where it's like it's such a confusing culture around sex in general. But I think this was an outlet for people, and we're going to talk about some wild shit tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really feel like this is my lane and I don't know enough about it, and I don't want to come off as like surely insensitive or whatever. But it is kind of a stereotype that Japanese media is like the real fucking sex freak shit. And then you also hear that they're like pretty strict about like gender and sexuality and things like that, and it's like but like every single anime they're all like androgenous and queer and all this other stuff. Like it's very like pretty consistent, you know, and I always wondered, like what the tension there is? And maybe it is just a sense of the the uh, it's more subversive in a culture like that. But then I wonder why we don't produce similar outcomes because it's also very puritanical around here, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh I I I mean I think we did, but it looks different. What what I think we had was the MPAA because if you think of what what what pinkus are, right, it's you have to blur certain things. So for anyone listening, and we've we've brought this up before and this is not for like the average person's consumption. But there was a very famous pink film with a wonderful, wonderful actor named Naomi Tani called rope Cosmetology and it I know Chris is familiar with it based on that smirk Celester you no, oh, okay. So this is a film that features a very very intense scene that eventually culminates in Naomi Tani having to service a dog. I'll just put it that way. I don't know if that puts that, but I hope I said it the right way. That doesn't get the YouTube. I hope we're working I hope we're sensoring. Okay, good, So it's.
Speaker 2: A very I will never say like grape for any of this other stupid baby that's like popular right now, but you know, right right, striking the balance, okay, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, Well, there's this They blur that scene out, and they blur it very specifically, and it really is an example of a filmmaker using the form kind of it kind of s it all right there they're showing this incredibly graphic scene. Obviously she didn't really do it, but they use the blur to make it obviously simulate like it's happening. And yeah, Joe Demato would be very proud, and he probably was pissed he didn't get there first. And so obviously it's this really transgressive thing. It's something that's that's pretty much illegal everywhere, right, and and yet they get away with it because they blurred it properly. So transpose that and that's an extreme example, but transpose that to America. Obviously that would never happen. But though I know, like did the Last Picture Show? There's a movie that deals with that kind of transgression, but like, uh, think of the MPa, right, if you say fuck once, it's PG thirteen. If you say it twice, it's righted R. So I guess my point is they're not. It's obviously not like a one to one ratio. But those things do we zist here in weird ways, and they're constantly You'll hear all these stories in the eighties and the nineties when NC seventeen got invented, how that became a kiss of death, and how many times a movie went back and forth with the MPa on just cutting two seconds here and two seconds there, and ultimately does that really make a difference. Obviously it doesn't, and it's very hypocritical, but you know there's always proposed back then, like different that it shouldn't be R or PG thirteen, that a movie she'd either be for adults or it shouldn't and so yeah, I think that's kind of the closest thing we have here where it is still puritanical and it is still a scandal when you make something NC seventeen or rateed R. But I think what draws people do those things here is when it's a big actor who does it. So halle Berry did Swordfish, she did a topless scene very famously got half a million dollars just to do that scene. You know, Sharon Stone obviously doing the scene in basic instinct where she uncrosses her leg somehow. Wow, the lighting was just right for it to be rated R instead of NC seventeen. So it's it's very weird. Obviously, Japan's got a much bigger the the somehow the extreme there and the culture. There's some weird thing where it's you're just on both ends of the spectrum in it's very intense ways, and here it's not. It's just this weird thing of just seeing how far a famous person will go before, you know, on screen. Kind of That's that's pretty much what it is, because every time here something like that breaks, it's always like, also, oh did they actually film penetration? You know, there's seat there's movies that always have those rumors where supposedly they were actually having sex on camera and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Just not to put two fine a point in it, but we're most likely to be talking about a movie in twenty twenty six called Lolita Vibrator Torture. So you know, they were always pushing things in Japan a little bit.
Speaker 1: Fun for me, true and there's another, there's a there's and I'm gonna butcher the title, but there's a Sato title. I'm sure they're gonna put out called like man Woman horse or something like that, or woman Horse Dog. You'll know what you can make of the title, you know. But Sato waited in those waters too, even without Naomi Tani. So, like, you know, I mean, it's just those things are I guess, you know, I don't know too much about pink, but in terms of the pink films, that's a funny way of saying that. But like, uh, you know, just in terms of the puritanical part versus the taboo aspect of it. Obviously, I just gave like the wildest example I possibly could because I thought that would be the easiest one. But like, I think it's here. It is in some ways. I think it's just because porn is fully legal, like in impenetrative terms, that the it's not based around the actual acts so much as it is around the people doing them, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Hi, Driane, thanks for being here. Okay, So I guess let's go through these in the order that they appear on the disc real quick. A note that I had that I thought was a bit strange how they sort of divvy up the uh the discs themselves, because all of the movies are on disc one, and then all the special features are on disc too, And I'm like, it's a little bit counterintuitive. It's a little bit. They've done that a couple of times. I mean, I know that everything couldn't fit on one discs, but it would make more sense to me to just put like two on one and then the features and then the third one on the other one with its features, I guess.
Speaker 1: But well, that was my initial thought too, But I actually was okay with it in this this time because I think the films are so short that it's easier to just have the films there. That's that's what I thought. It Rarely usually it's I'm I'm waring tuned to like what you're saying, But for some reason with the specific one, I was like much more okay with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so rewind, how do I Another thing I should say right off the jump is I found these films to be very difficult to follow. They sort of don't follow like typical narrative plot structures, Like the sex scenes kind of come out of nowhere, and like typically I'm like trying to figure out like, okay, well, I mean, well this is here for a reason, this is having some kind of narrative purpose or whatever. And I felt like it was harder in these Yeah, just kind of there apropos of nothing, and then we would be back to the story and then we would cut back and forth.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I had that thought, so I had to. I watched to Rewind twice because it finished, and I was like, what it did? Get it a lot more? The second time around, it calmed down. It's almost like watching since we're in Japan, it's almost like watching battles without honoring humanity, where the first time through you're just like names, families, you know, and then the second time you can kind of calm down and just like watch the story. That's kind of how I felt Unrewind. But it's basically a Peeping Tom sort of take on that story, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I found it. I Oh sorry, Celesti. I just want to say that. I I you know, when it comes to these movies, the I surrender myself to them pretty quickly. I don't know if that sounds pretentious, but like the way I kind of approach it is. I I already kind of know from the jump that the visuals like what you're gonna see. It's almost like a h because one thing I already knew about Sato going into it without knowing much about the films is that it's he's a pretty self reflexive filmmaker. So I kind of know that, like the visuals automatically, just that it's gonna be like metaphor city. Not in a bad way, but like that's kind of why. So it's it's funny. I I there. It was hard to follow at certain points just because there's certain characters that I didn't I forgot like what their roles were, like their their jobs even but I still when it was over, I I don't know, I got it, you know what I mean, Like I felt I still felt like the experience like I had experienced the movie. I guess that was That was my take. So yeah, sorry, go go ahead. Basically, what I'm saying is I'm smarter than everybody. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true. I think you gonna lock that in. Yeah, I don't know. It's basically about this like snuff film that's going around and then there's like a video store employee that like gets really into it, and then there's like a like a female detective that like wants to find out the source of it. And I guess we shouldn't spoil these, so I won't say how it ends, but I think the way it ends is really bold and like really sort of transgressive and kind of aggressive towards its audience, and I respect it on those terms. But yeah, I think these are very obviously more art films than they are like porn films, and but the thing is, they still like work within the sort of grammar of porn films, so but without the like sort of baseline like narrative structure to kind of stitch the things together. So it's like, I don't know, it's it's I think it's just the sort of thing where like something that I'm coming to terms with is like when I watch films outside of my usual repertoire. It's like I'm used to like watching a slasher or watching as Alla, or watching like just a horror movie in general, and being like I know exactly what's going on here. I know I know what this means, I know what this is representing. I know what's likely to happen next. And when you watch something that you don't watch as much of, like a Western or something like that, and you don't have those like same sort of you don't know the tropes in and out, so like a lot of the unsaid stuff is not translating as well because you're not as in it. And these are my very very first pink films, So I'm like a little bit frustrated with myself because I'm like, I fucking don't understand what's happening right now. But it's also like, okay, relax, like this is I think it'll get easier the more because it sounds like we have a lot to go. I think it's the sort of thing where you're gonna get used to this sort of vibe in the rhythm and you're gonna get on the wavelength. And but yeah, it's like double challenge because you just kind of have these like it like challenges you to like keep paying full attention because you're like watch like a pretty extended sex scene and so you're just kind of like checking out a little bit, like Okay, we're not dealing with narrative right now, and then it'll go back to like really artsy narrative stuff, and so it's like making you pay attention the later for something like I don't know, there's something about it that is challenging in a way that certain, you know, other things that I'm accustomed to is not. And it's also just so deeply like metaphorical and political and like also the images are so arresting and transgressive and like intense that you know you're sort of catching up with like oh wow, I'm really I'm just like watching this happen. Okay. So it's a lot to ask of a viewer in like fifty five minutes because these all clock in under an hour, which is crazy, or either.
Speaker 3: One of y'all into reading manga at.
Speaker 2: All, not as much as I used to be, But yeah.
Speaker 1: You've had that in your past, so oh I have two Yeah, yeah, it's been a long time, but yeah, I don't I stopped like years ago.
Speaker 3: I experienced with manga is mostly the movies that have come out of it, like Eachy the Killer or like Rikkyo. But my understanding of it is that it has a lot of the same type of torture and stuff and crazy sex like in the adult manga, Like is that fair? Like this is common is when I.
Speaker 2: Was a kid, so it was more like the teen oriented stuff, but like I would kind of sneak in some reading of like some more adult oriented stuff and it was kind of like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: There was a place I grew up going to that had them for sure, and I would just look at them at the magazine rack and or like the bookshelf because it was a comic book shop that specialized in carrying manga, and they absolutely like all the tentacle stuff. That's where it started, all that, you know, those kinds of things like they that like the hen Tai stuff is definitely I know that's I mean, that's that's manga adjacent, I guess, but it's they oftentimes there's like overlap with a lot of the those things. Just to add to your point, Celeste, because I think you're right on the money with like how obviously they have to meet a contractual requirement of like sex, right, It's like the jol Silver rule for action where it has to be every eleven minutes. It clearly has to show up every every once in a while in a you know, in a in a Pinku, and I think, on top of being political and obviously having to fulfill a contractual need, it also in Sato's case, at least so far, it's very personal. I mean, all of these movies are at one point or another kind of reference art in some way, shape or form. So if it's not referencing movies directly, it's referencing video games. We'll get to that in a second, obviously with another movie. But if it's not referencing that, it's referencing the media. It has something to do with the world that that Sato is adjacent to or directly involved in, and in this case with this movie, directly involved in because it's it's obviously about snuff films, which you know are I'm sure people back then and even now would still refer to some pinky films, like if they don't like him, as snuff films, you know, as like a not as an actual snuff film, but just as a as a derogatory term towards them. And so this clearly is a move, like I would say, and I don't use this lightly because I think a lot of people do, but I think in the way people use Lynchian, I would say this is Verhovian because I think he, like Verhoven, implicates himself. I don't think he is above the material. I don't think he thinks he's above the material. And I think he is very aware that there's a push and pull that he's probably getting off on some of this, and he also knows that it's you know, he's a freak in a good way, but also in a bad way.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe less defensible than he would like.
Speaker 3: It to be.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I kind of agree with you that it's not necessarily like a moralizing thing. I think it's more of like a question, just like, hey, let's explore this for a little bit, like kind of in the way the video Drone does it, because I know the Video Drone was made explicitly to be like, well, people keep telling me that my that my movies are too violent and they create violent behaviors and stuff. Let's make a movie exploring what that would look like. Right, And this is kind of like a cipher flexive kind of like hmmm, let's actually self interrogate a little bit here and you know, figure out what's going on here and actually explore that idea to its logical conclusion. I think there's a lot of discomfort in like the project that he's engaged in in the text of this film. What else was I going to say? I think that's it for right. The second.
Speaker 3: Your point is interesting just in rewind though, because there is a lot of that perspective switch about behind the camera in front of the camera, and I think the theme of like being a voyeur is so strong here and how it's like it's so closely tied into the sickness behind where the baristrict tendencies, and how closely related it is to violence. So I mean what you're saying makes a lot of sense comparing it to Verhoven or Cronenberg, like these people that are trying to almost like call it out our tendency to want to see crazier and crazier shit, right Like that's uh, they love to call that out. And I think it seems like I don't know if that's what Sata was doing here, but I could I could certainly listen to that argument.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it is. It's very it's it's it's even more literal. I mean, at one point, you know, the camera has a knife attached to it, and there was like very a weapon, right, like right, right, yeah, which I is a Peeping Tom riff, right if I remember correctly, I haven't seen Peeping Tom in a long time. But yeah, yeah, so it's and then and then not only that, but also without giving anything away, where the supposed snuff films are made, it's surrounded by TV. There's beautiful shots of just monitors and TVs just everywhere in various states of being on and off. I love it. And because analog was just kind of like analog video was really hitting the whole market hard during that period, Sato really does a great job of like using video on film and then putting it back into video really really creates like a really great like transmission effect. And I think because a lot of this is I would say a transmission.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think to circle back to a point you made earlier, I think I heard somewhere in the essay or in one of the commentaries that for these pink films, the contractual obligation was literally like one sex scene per real. And when you were talking about four reels, you're talking about like up to twenty five percent of the runtime, right, And so like when you're talking about a tight script sixty minutes and you're talking about four sex scenes, so you have to put in there somewhere. It's like, there's only so many narrative excuses to get a sex scene in your movie, right, And I think that when people say that there's too much sexual violence in this like and so in this context, I hesitate to even call them like sex scenes because I think that rape is sort of categorically a different thing, but like in terms of what it's accomplishing visually, right and narratively, Like it's a way to sort of have both, like have some kind of narrative tension, have like something shocking and traumatic, while also checking that box for the people paying the bills. And then it seems like there's almost like an active protest in some of these where it's like, yeah, this has nothing to do with the movie, but you're gonna sit here and watch it anyway, like like what do you want? What do you want me to do? I'm going back to my shit after this is done?
Speaker 3: But like here it is, I think, well, yeah, yeah, but anyways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think because at certain points, obviously he just like how much can you do in the movie? Right, At a certain point he probably just be like, all right, I got a shoe worn this in somewhere, so here here it goes right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder I wish I knew this answer. No, there's like Kyoshi Kursawa came from visinem not necessarily pink films from home video, and takashimik did. I'm sure, I'm sure there's more than I'm forgetting, but there's there's a bunch of Japanese filmmakers and Mika even made some pink films. But like there's a bunch of these filmmakers that started out doing home video and then became theatrical directors, and they use this as like a jumping off point. I'm curious why I Sato didn't like I wonder if he was so comfortable with this really uncomfortable like extreme content. I wonder if he was kind of pigeonholed a little bit into just like pumping out more of these because like some of these movies were I forget that which one it was. But his first movie, the name is Escaping Me, but he was made for eight million yen and it made a hundred million yen, Like he was making money, and like I'm sure his you know, the Good Life, and these were successful, so it's not like he needed award money, I mean, you know or like recognition, recognition, but I don't know, he certainly had the skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean these movies are also made in like less than a week. I think as like part of the like also sort of either definition or criteria for it is like, yeah, these things were shot in like four days or something crazy like that, and like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, which is why it's so prolific. But also I do have a I do think that's a ten thousand hours thing where he's probably making so many fucking bangers like he's probably doing. But well, the reason I think a lot of these are good or because he he just he doesn't have time to stop and get too precious about them, right, So I think when you do that, I think sometimes it is good. Even if it's all it can be a little more imperfect. I think a lot of times it just you know, because regardless you're in an hour, you're gonna get the point, you know what I mean, Like you don't have time to not get the point, right. So, like I mean, which is crazy because I you know, like when you watch when you see like Japanese porn. Now some of those movies are hours long, and I'm not I'm talking about stuff like if you go online you could search scenes. They are like three hours just one movie with the same actor. God bless them and like the work they have to do because they, I mean, they still continue to push like the extreme even if it's censored. And there's a great interview I don't remember. I think it was Asa Kira had On, a very popular Japanese performer named Hitomi Tanaka, and they talk a lot about kind of the differences of like how the misogyny is embedded. But the point being is it's just so funny to me that and I implore everybody to check out that I'm going based off memory. This interview was from like five or six years ago, I think on on on the Hub or something, But sorry, I trailed off little. But like my point being is that it's funny that now how long these things are, that back then it was like getting you in and out as soon as possible, because at this point this it's not like this market. It wasn't like the American market and the movies we're going to talk about a little later where they were made for people to go into a theater and crank one out, and like it's weird when it deviates from that formula. These are at home, So you know, he could easily just make a film that's very like just hot air. It doesn't have to be as personal. That's why. Just to bring it back to Chris's point, obviously, yeah, he could have played in a different sandbox, but there's clearly a choice here, and obviously this movie is an interrogation of that choice, because yeah, he probably could have gone to do other stuff, but there's he obviously has a push and pull with kind of the content and what he's doing and how he hey there, obviously he likes doing it to some degree, and then obviously there's not a shame to it, but like obviously something's also up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's two types of creatives where you're like just off the top of my head, like like a Jonathan Glazer, where you like really have an idea that you're like married to and you're gonna see it to the last possible end, and so you make a project like every ten years or something. And then there's like Stephen King who's just like cranking out ideas constantly, and if you're like that type of person who has like fifty ideas written down and you want to make them all, this feels like the perfect format to accomplish that, where like you're making a movie a week, literally, Like I think it was also like more so than like American porn, Like literally all they cared about was that the sex scenes were there and everything else is expressly up to the director. So like you have like a perfect sort of like freedom sandbox, whatever you want to call it, to like put in all your political hot takes all your like sort of personal demons, whatever the case may be, and like exercise it in this way. And like if you're just a person who constantly has ideas and you can turn a profit because there's like crazy sex shit, Like yeah, this is like a perfect way to like make a living just trying out, testing out, experimenting with different ideas that you have. Like it's a really cool format.
Speaker 1: I also just one thing I wanted to say. This reminded me a lot of corruption, the Roger Watkins movie. I thought of corruption a few times, where it's obviously this person who worked, like because corruption is for people listening that was like one of Vinegar Syndrome's first well I don't know if it was one of their first, but it was an early restoration for them of a golden age adult title. And it's a very bleak, dark film that clearly is a metaphor for like the industry, specifically the adult industry. And I think there's something to that here as well, where he obviously is talking about like the kind of the Mobius strip of making.
Speaker 2: These Yeah, I guess I won't spoil the end of this movie, but I like how it kind of m It doesn't give you're the audience and out, it doesn't really give them a way to sort of externalize this or like feel comfortable in that this is an issue with somebody else or something like that. Right, it's very much like a hey, bring it in, this isn't us problems proadjasts and like you can agree with that or disagree with that, depending on how you interpret what he's trying to say. But I think it's I think it's bold to not maybe maybe this this comparison is coming to mind because it's been the only thing in my mind all week, But it feels similar to like the ending of American Psycho and how it like doesn't really grant the audience the catharsis that they probably naturally are looking for. You know, I recorded a podcast episode on American Psycho, so look forward to that. But that's why it's been on my mind all week. Okay, do you'll have anything else you want to share about this film in particular? Or should we move on to lust Mored? Probably the most insane movie we're going to talk about today. What is it?
Speaker 3: Pleasure Kill?
Speaker 1: Pleasure Kill? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, so this is essentially about what the fuck is this movie about? Okay, there's there's a there's a guy and his mom is doing like science experiments of some kind, and his dad died and he's going through that pain, I guess, and so he creates a serum that translates pain into pleasure, and so, uh, you know, clearly without the approval of the ethics board or whatever, just sort of puts this into the patients who are going through a very different It's like a skincare thing or something pretty benign, right, and you can imagine how it unfolds from there. You know, if you're a real sick freak, if you're a into pain as pleasure. This one's for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh one. I watched this at eight thirty in the morning. This and rewind I watched both both at eight thirty in the morning. I actually, I take that back. All three I watched at eight thirty in the morning before breakfast. It became a theme. It's the Sato challenge, and I implore all of you to take it it. Yeah. I So, first off, there's an awesome video game motif that kind of runs through this. It's actually central to the plot as well. There's clearly like a commentary on people stuck glued to the screen playing video games all the time. I guess that's like the the like boomer equivalent of like TikTok being glued to like your cell phone screen or something. But I write exactly real. Well, I so here's here's what blew my mind before I get into the actual movie itself. I thought the video game was specifically made for the for the movie itself, because this has a really cool All of Sato's movies have like a cool industrial thing going on, score wise, very very similar to to Sukamoto and specifically obviously to Tatsuo, and I can only imagine the influence Tatsuo actually had on Sato. I actually think there's there's something even though some of these actually sorry other way around, some of these may have also influenced Sukamoto. I wouldn't be surprised because he he has.
Speaker 2: A similar the Toad. But either way, I see that connection happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, this this beat Tatsuo to the Punch by about two years. And one thing I'll say is that it uses an industrial score really really well. But sorry again tangent town there. But uh I thought the video game that was central to this story uses the music like during the credit sequences, and the music for this video game fucking slaps. I'll just start there. But secondly, I thought the video game was specifically developed for the movie. And it turns out it was a real video game called Vallas the Phanfasm Soldier and it never came out in America, but it was one of the top selling games in Japan that year. It is incredible that he cleared that video game for this movie. And if you're watching or listening and that doesn't blow your mind, it's because you haven't seen the movie yet. If you have seen the movie, you'll know it is fucking crazy that a Pinku could license a video game, not only a video game, but like a top selling video game in Japan that year.
Speaker 2: And if it's like if Mario was in the Toolbox Murders or something like that.
Speaker 1: A right, right, yeah, yeah, I don't even know what a quo or like even in videodrome, like like he just like Donkey Kong just it's throwing barrels at James Woods and he's coming. Well I don't even know, but anyway, yeah, I think this is also exhibit A for what we're talking about, which is that you have this really transgressive imagery and there's stuff in here that of all the three movies, and it even made me squirm, and I don't score them very often and stuff, this one really had me, Like I made a choice to watch this before breakfast, and I had to I had to pay the piper when it was time to eat. But I all that said, for as transgressive and disgusting as it is, I thankfully wasn't eating spaghetti right after this, but or noodles, I should say. But it's all in service of a lot of the same stuff we're talking about. Cronenberg like it it kind of it beats crash to the punch, and it reminded me a lot of Able Ferrara's confessional style in his movies. I think it really is. And by but what I mean by confessional style, it's kind of the same thing. I think Able Ferrara in a lot of his movies. It's obviously a more he takes a more literary approach at times with stuff like the Addiction, but like when you have stuff like Miss forty five or or even as like like Bad Lieutenant, where it's this really transgressive stuff, but it's obviously him working out his demons. And so I think this is this is that I mean obviously, like it's a movie about a teenage boy who's controlling women. That's not that hard to take a director directing porn, right, it's the same thing. It's the same thing. So I mean, you know, rewind it was with the camera here, it's with controlling what the you know, making women like sex hungry pain freaks who want it, you know. So like I don't know, yeah, it just reminds me of all those things.
Speaker 3: I actually think it might be important for because for people that haven't seen it, they may be wondering a little bit about what we're talking about. So, yeah, and you mentioned it, Celeste, and you mentioned the D light. But this is a this is a drug. So this guy's dad was disbarred from the Medical Association of Japan or whatever for doing that at the treatments. We don't know for sure that it was the exact same thing, but he has this weird respect for his dad, and I think he's trying to kind of take like almost take on his footsteps. And the mom keeps telling him throughout the movie like I'm worried about you, like you're doing the same kind of stuff that he was doing, and even before she finds out that he was sneaking into her tests and putting this sermon. But it turns like, just to think about this for a second, because I think this is a critical part. It turns pain into pleasure. So if you think about that just as a as like a thought exercise, what Plato does in this is he explores all the different ways that you can start to kind of build on that. Right, So they look as opposed to looking for better orgasm, so to speak, like pleasure side now they only get pleasure from pain. So the movie just goes deeper and deeper into hurting themselves more and like really difficult stuff to watch because not because they're trying to hurt themselves, but because they're it feels so good and they have these like physical consequences of the pleasure, but they can't stop. They're like addicted to this feeling of I don't know if he's tweaking oxytocin or dopamine. I don't know what he's tweaking, but they can't stop. They're like addicted to it, right, and so they just as like it's one of those ones where I think the slow bits in the beginning another movie I watched twice. You may wonder how, like why I did it twice as well?
Speaker 2: I almost if I had one time, I probably would have, And I sort of did it with the commentary to kind of help me re engage with the material, right, But yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's exactly it. They're short, but the slow parts in the beginning I think really help because it's so much as the movie goes into the second half, it's just so intense and so uncomfortable that I think you need that build up and you need to see this awkward kid, like who's not good with women, and like he's you need to see all these kind of almost like what's that movie austin translation. I'm not comparing the two movies, but you know there's those awkward scenes with Bill Murray when he just doesn't know what to do in the same room as Scarlet Hanson.
Speaker 2: I've actually never seen it.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's exactly like lest one.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's expectation less less more than translation. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's what the ranslation perfect double feature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I think I think Chris is spot on. I think that's right. I think that I just again, it's like that self reflexive style there, and obviously he's pushing it in a way that we can't even say out loud on here, what what you see in there? But and that could be more alluring to you.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, you know, yeah, you little sick freaks, get in there, jump in the waters. The water's warm, filled with hot noodles.
Speaker 2: Noodles. All of the essays in this book are really great, so prioritize it because it's selling pretty fast. But I mean not to fomo you all or whatever, but like, if you want to get it, you should prioritize it because it's like, I think there's a thousand out of four thousand left, which is pretty good for the maleoscene side. Also, I think there's a nice irony in the fact that I think, by far the most fucked up release of this slate is on the vineger syndrome side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can buy it. You can also buy it on vinegar syndrome, so I think that's why it's moving a lot. Yeah, it's crazy, right, Like these are the ones that aren't aren't like categorized as adult titles on letterbox and stuff, and yet they're way more like I would much.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I should say this, Like like I think that these are way less appropriate for like a younger audience than just like your standard porno.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely goes to show you your bizarre like prioritization of like sex versus violence in terms of which is more taboo and which is more unacceptable. So the booklet's great, All three of the essays are great, but I want to do especially shout out Torri Potenza. Their essay is incredible and it's on this film in particular, and it really helped me understand, i mean, what was happening in it. But then also like the themes surrounding it. I just feel like modern horror movies really get a bad rap for like, oh, every single thing is about grief and trauma, and like that's true, but like so is this, you know, And maybe it's just that they don't outright say it that it's like less annoying and like the more classic stuff. But I think horror as a genre is kind of inherently about trauma, you know. That's just that's just something that I've been thinking about a lot.
Speaker 3: Even on the lighter side of things. Gimbadel Toro talks a lot about he's always sympathized with the monster, even as a kid, because he saw himself as a monster, and so like in his movies, you know, he always or he was in like universal horror and stuff, he was always sympathetic towards the monster. And I think that is an interesting thing, like a metaphor for a lot of why people dive into horror to begin with.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I agree, although I do think it is kind of like I do think it's the golden age of being over over literalizing it. I think we live in an era where it's just so exhausting. Even even Germo del Toro to a fault kind of post shape of water has really, I think even fallen a little bit to that trap once in a while. But like I think, yeah, it's just you're right, because all this old stuff is obviously like like you know, in the seventies, a lot of it was like post Vietnam stuff and family unit stuff, and then in the eighties it became about like obviously like like like punishment for like you know, not being pure or you know, being like like specifically with Slashers. But like you know, uh, yeah, I do think that they were also aware that they were a lot of it was entertainment first, and a lot of it subconsciously or like in ways that because they were produced on such like a factory line, feeling sometimes that those things were like inherently built in. Now things are so postmodern that like you almost have to be ahead of the audience addressing it or it just has to be so like you know, they it's practically like the movie almost comes like with the production company name and then the Gerber's baby food symbol right under it because they're about.
Speaker 3: To spoothe o you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's such problem. So like I don't know that that but like you said, it's nothing new. Even movies from the eighties sometimes aren't subtle about it. But I don't know. Like when fucking Halloween kills, like you know, Michael wears the mask but everyone's the monster. It's like, oh, please just put my hand in a running garbage disposal and just run it. I can't sit here and watch this. I need to be in some kind of other pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that that part is true, and I think it's also like I wonder how much of it is, like because these films are a little bit more overt about it, like normal people are noticing as opposed to like horror people and so like your average like critic or movie ego or whatever. It's like, Wow, that one was really deep. It was like about trauma and grief and stuff. It's like then like people like us are like, hey man, where you've been Yeah, yeah, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, well here's oh, actually I really want to add something to that. I think the other problem is there's a real joylessness to it. And I'm not saying obviously horror movies are bleak, but like look at Sato's movies. Joy might not sound like the right word, but the excitement of filmmaking exists in these movies. He's obviously excited by making these movies. I sometimes feel like what you're watching now, sometimes they're just so stripped of like any sense of like excitement of the person making the movie, you know what I mean. Like it's a hard thing to describe, but like what I mean is I'm sure the person's happy to saying. It just has this joylessness to it. And Gregor Rocky's actually called it out, like someone asked him if he liked Euphoria and he's like, no, the Euphoria is such a joyless show. And I don't think he said joyless, but he said something to that effect where he's like, this, this show just doesn't seem like it's excited to exist, like the filmmakers seems like it's any you know. And I think he's right. I think Euphoria sucks shit, but that's not really the point here. But I just wouldn't take up a chance to not disparage it. But I also think, like, would this be a good bridge because I actually wanted to talk about this in the next movie. I don't know if there's anything else you guys wanted to say about.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was waiting for the good transition on it.
Speaker 1: So we're perfect you. So I'll let you introduce the movie, just if you want to say what it's what it's called. It goes by two titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one on the on the packaging is love Letter in the sound, which sounds like a really nice sort of yeah it's a film, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It also goes by like pervert ward pera. I think that's the better title, being oh, absolutely, yeah, that's I think that's what we're all going to get sentenced to when it's time, when we all get carted away. Yeah. So this is a great example of something like we're talking about metaphors. So this movie opens, I actually can sorry, you know what, I just realized I didn't have this pulled up in terms of Uh, I guess I should tell people what it's about because it's so. It's about a nurse who is like germophobic and is dealing with a patient who has amnesia. She's like treating him and people think he's like a serial attacker going around hitting people with a metal bat, and like, that's kind of all I'll say without giving anything away. But the movie opens with.
Speaker 2: The with the understanding of how HRC works, which is.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's right. Oh my god, yeah, that's it's hard even set that up. Like you'll have to see when everyone listening, when you watch the movie, you'll kind of get a better idea. But so in the film, it immediately opens with an assault scene, like literally, right, I think it is ninety seconds into the movie. There's like it's like a sexual assault scene, but it happens in a print shop, which is like the equivalent of like a Kinko's, more like Kinky's. So any sorry I couldn't. That's right, That's why they pay me the big bucks, folks. That's my mic drop moment. But yeah, so there's ah it's she'sn't like she's making copies of something and then someone comes up behind a woman starts assaulting her and while it's happening, the copy machine keeps running. That's as big as a metaphor as it gets of cranking out these movies like a sexual assault happening literally over a copy machine that keeps copying and copying copy and also making this like artful light that's going over the scene while it's happening. But that is as literal as it gets. But it's still it's so it's such a obviously a unique way of expressing that, and it has like such it's so spontaneous. It doesn't feel like at any point, like I feel like here, if that happened in a movie, you'd be getting winked and nudged while it's happening, like people would be removing themselves seen in some kind of ironic fashion. And there is not a shred of irony here to be found or any kind of self awareness other than the commentary of obviously what you're seeing and what he has to do, which is make copies and more copies of these movies because the eventually be honest.
Speaker 2: That didn't pick up on that, But that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I told you, folks, smartest guy in the room right now. Just kidding, No, I really did. Like as soon as I saw that, I was like, holy shit, I was genuinely like blown away, because it's not it's it's it's very literal, but it's so spontaneous or it's so surprising, and I don't know, I just think there's I think, uh, you know that it's not postmodern enough to be wink wink, nudge nudge about it, or just find some way to remove itself, you know, from not very meditextual.
Speaker 2: There's another one in my sort of copy Horses, where it seems like everybody thinks that horror didn't get self referential until Scream came along, and it's like, well, there's so many movies that like are like mettextual in this way or like even more overtly than this is being and like, okay, yes, Scream just like kind of wrote it all out for you. But it's definitely not the first.
Speaker 1: One, you know, no, not at all. I mean, if you really want to say the first one, I mean, you know, obviously Wes Craven's New Nightmare was.
Speaker 2: Like a warm up for Steam, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and also in Hell even Friday the Thirteenth, Part six, it's more of a parody version of that where there's characters breaking the fourth wall, like one one guy like literally does like the thing where he's like this didn't happen to the other guy kind of thing. He literally looks at the camera. I mean it's been Yeah, it's definitely not the first time. I think Scream was just it was the genre was so dead that it was such a like a resuscitator, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Do want to like, I don't know if this is the best time to do it, But now that we brought up all three movies, there's something like that I was thinking about as I was going through this set. If you had told me that this was three different directors, I would have believed you. Like, I think there's definitely themes that are consistent, and like we've talked about some of the way that he explores culture and right and some of that which is consistent in the way he writes maybe, but the visual style of all these is different. The way that he I think the way that he uses like home Video and rewind Is is different than the other movies, right, and like Love Letters in the Send has the sort of surrealism moments where she'll she'll be like dipping her hand into sand and then the scene transitions into some kind of fantasy or her past. I think I think it's I don't know, I think it's a fantasy, but like, this is the the thing I'm most excited about to dig into more of Sato's work is I don't think that these three movies were really that much the same at all outside of being pink films, And I love that about it, Like, that's super interesting that he's so versatile in the way that maybe Takashi mikay is very versatile. You know, a lot of these directors kind of find their style, but to me, Sato is somebody that at least three movies in I haven't really seen like a certain style from him yet, and that's super exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe it's just the sort of ways in which I feel like all of these films are kind of I mean, the similar run and the similar kind of plot structure, and the similar kind of art house surrealist sensibilities. Like they definitely felt like three takes on the same sort of general concept. I feel like almost. But I see what you're saying too, and uh, yeah, I mean Broad made like sixty of these, so like there's lots to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, no, you're I think you're right. I think they are different. I think what is very smart about this triple feature is they do have like similar themes in different executions, right, So, like I think that is the really great through line is that they're all metitextual takes on. You know, one is through the camera, one is through you know, controlling the characters, you know. The other is you know, like literally trying to mess with like everything from from gender to trauma. But like they all deal with that in different aspects. Each movie deals with that. So you're right, it's like they're in the same building, but different parts of the building. Right, It's like the same office, but they're on separate floors, and it's a it's a different it's a different department and a different supervisor at each one. I don't know where the hell that analogy came from, but like that's not work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's I'm going to get shipped for this, and that's fine, I can take it. I was watching a bunch of Otsu's movies recently, Yes to Judotsu, and I know he's a master and all these things like fine, and I did enjoy them, but I saw six movies from him that were almost comically the same, like like you know, I'm sure you know if you look across he's directed one hundred movies. Like, I'm sure his career varies a lot. I'm not making a comment on his entire filmography, but all the ones that are like Winter, Summer, August, June, all those movies business man like. But if you watch them close together, it's just literally like the same thing. And it's beautifully shot and well acted, but like, you know, I just start to feel like I get it. A single woman in her thirties is having a hard time leaving her parent who's sick, and she's got some tough life decisions to make, like I can't do this six times in a row.
Speaker 2: And so I like, you're either heard of something or this project has broken your brain entirely. It's one of those two things.
Speaker 3: It's not so OVERSU that's my point there.
Speaker 1: You go, whoa, that's a statement. Well, we've got it on record, let's see. Yeah right right, Well, I mean, hey, and that's just this is just volume one. So we got, we got, we're Volume two is already here. It's we already have him, all three of us had him delivered already.
Speaker 2: So three is coming on the first two.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly, Yeah, Well, if I remember correctly from the interview with Joe Chris, didn't he say like like the first three because that's just what they had cleared quicker in terms of like what they could restore. But there are other filmmakers coming to that line later in the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering how long they were going to go with just this guy, and like, I mean, I hope there's other stuff. I mean, I like this, but like.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, it'd be nice. Yeah, well, hey, I'm I'm all for it for now, just because this was such a strong set that and I'm kind of relieved that the second volumes only two movies. I just feel less pressure. But I kind of want to keep the eight thirty am team going, so I'm going to keep watching them.
Speaker 2: First thing, And do you think of the morning on the volume two or longer?
Speaker 1: Not by much? Like literally like sixty five minutes, seventy one minutes, and yet none of them are sixty nine minutes. Why aren't we having fun? Come on, guys, huh, let's ato what's going on? Let's get yeah, worst joy I keep talking about come on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a big fan of this set. I really like challenging myself kind of and like sort of getting into new paths and new styles and new scenes and all this other stuff. And you know, especially when you're talking about Golden age porn, like you know, you can expect kind of the same thing a lot of the time. Like the Pikarama line, I feel like, is very much you know exactly where you're gonna get and this was very out there. Uh. And it's nice to have to watch stuff and you know, so it can be a little bit frustrating or whatever, but it's nice to watch something and be like, I don't really I don't have any point of reference or any bearings for this. I'm just sort of waiting in uncharted waters right now and seeing what happens. This third one is the one that has to like massage sex scene right at the beginning, because that was the one where literally I was like, who are these people? Why are they having sex right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This has nothing to do with what I was just watching. Did I mess something like really big or something? Then I was like it must make sense when the scene ends, and then it didn't. I was like, I don't know, still don't know who that is, Still don't know why that happened, what's going on? Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Well, like the jump, like the Japanese blood job, and specifically, what I mean is that where the where everything stays in the pants. That the way that those these movies showed it, it was pretty erotic. Like the actual sex in these movies I felt was when it was consensual and and when it was romantic in nature, which is not all of them, but it was pretty erotic actually, like I was. I think they they had the pacing right, like the actors were good at like you know, seemingly wanting to be there, and that part was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're uh yeah, there's something too working within constraints that breeds creativity, right and uh yeah, I think it's like it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also just need to give a quick shout out. In the first film, I really love how they put in the they put in the snuff tape and the girl says to her brother, Wow, let's commit incest and then they just do it, and it's like sure, why not just immediately? Okay. I like how she just says it like it is too like let's do this.
Speaker 1: Specific Yeah, it's gonna be quite a theme today with the say, isn't the last.
Speaker 2: I feel like about incests on this segment, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's speaking of an hour and a half later. That's one down, So let's go to the next one from filmmaker Wes Craven. I've been hearing about this film for years. I've been wanting to see it for years. It's finally here, Fireworks Woman. I thought this movie was great. I really liked it a lot. Not to disparage Bob Chin or any of the other classics that we see film after film of, but sometimes you get one like this where you're like, Okay, yeah, this guy knows how to make a fucking movie, and he's just making porn this time. You know, like the narrative was there, like the the shots were there, the the creativity, every it's just it's really good. Like it's a banger. I liked this one a lot. It's essentially about a brother and sister who realized that they're in love with each other, consummate that feeling, and then the brother's like, well, can't be doing that, so he becomes a priest and she spends the runtime of the film being like hmm, I'm gonna veto that and you should be with me instead. It just makes various attempts to make him happy and change his mind, and this then and the other. A lot a lot going on in this one. I've seen it claimed that Wes Craven invented incest peorn with this. That feels like it can't be true, but maybe I could uh posit it to the group. I feel like there has to have been something before this that, like, if not, just incorporates it, Like is the conceit right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean this was made between this was nineteen seventy five, and there's a lot of debate to that with regards to when he made it because some people thought he may have done it before. He obviously did it before The Hills Have Eyes, but he did actually do this after Last House on the Left, and I can't say, Look, I think I have a pretty good knowledge on I actually can't think of movies before this that had it. But the thing is there were already loop carriers, and loops were especially designed to be trans like you know, they were fetish. You could literally make whatever you wanted, you could pay people and they would make it. So maybe it did like create a watershed moment for incestan feature lamed porn film, did it did?
Speaker 2: It's just like, that's crazy, that bro transetting this whole career.
Speaker 1: You know, right. But the only reason I don't know if I buy that is I feel like the real that obviously didn't hit really hard until Around Sunny with Candida Royale, which was in nineteen seventy nine, and then in nineteen eighty obviously the Taboo series. So that's a pretty big gap between those movies. To say that that's what influenced it. I don't know that that influenced it, and there obviously were other movies in between that that had it, But I don't know that it I wouldn't say he invented it for sure, But even though I don't have enough to back it up, I just yeah, I don't know. It's nineteen seventy five. It's not like he, you know, porn was already the Golden Age was already five years in. I'm sure. I'm sure there's some movie. It could even be a lost film.
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna, oh, sorry, go ahead to this. I'll save my point.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was just gonna say that the visual essay on this did kind of at least imply that when he was tasked to do this, he was like, well, what's the most extreme sort of subversive thing I could think of to like destroy the family unit, as he had done a few times throughout his career on account of his fucked up upbringing. That'll do it to you, I can tell you that. And he was like, Ooh, let's do this. So it doesn't seem like he was pulling any direct inspiration from anywhere, and it was just kind of like, well, if I'm deconstructing family as a concept in American life, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's exactly where I was kind of going with it too, And I promise I'm going to tie it right back around to the movie. But I have a son, and the parents right now are engaging in a lot of discussions about how they're raising their kids, because like, that's a very natural thing to do as your kids get older, right, And there's one particular family that's super strict, really hard on their kid, on their boy, and I would never show them the movie necessarily because they're very puritanical. But there is there's a interview on here from one of Wes Craven either childhood friends or at least longtime friends.
Speaker 1: No, it was a professional. It was Roy Frumkiss who wrote Street Trash. He also worked and porn and he they were like they went to college together, I believe, and like like and yeah, so I just wanted to clear that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Perfect. So he basically lays it out right like a lot of West Craven's personality and like a lot of his the stuff that he makes is because he wanted to rebel and like because he just had a lot of anger towards his parents, and like I do I kind of want.
Speaker 2: Like I might know something about that.
Speaker 3: Way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I think you're no. I think that's so like totally what he's doing. And also what's funny about the movie is so just to kind of clarify a plot point, the sister isn't just trying to like get her brother to leave the priesthood. She also is rather than taking like this vow of chastity that he takes, she goes the opposite direction. She just starts trying everything under the sun. She becomes like a submissive for this like controlling couple. At one point, they like make.
Speaker 2: It like their staff at the church and like that, right, are like horrific fucking people. I don't know something yeah on the social commentary, right y, yep, yep, and uh and like you know social in the church, right and and so they she keeps going into getting into these more like obviously more out there scenarios. And also there's like a pretty brutal assault scene and it's interesting. Sorry, just to be clear, I don't think the assault scene is interesting. What is interesting is.
Speaker 1: He One thing that Craven has always had is this weird slapstick humor in his movies. Like even in Nightmare on Elm Street, there's an entire segment that plays like home Alone, right where she sets all the booby traps and the way he gets hit it does it looks funny, it plays is funny, and and people under the stairs like you just you see that throughout all his films, and well actually Last House on the Left had it. There's literally like slide whistles playing when the cops show up and like start being slapstick morons, and and even Last House on the Left has it. So the reason I'm saying all of this is that somehow shows up in this as well. Before she gets assaulted, there's two guys who get in a fight with gigantic fish. They start hitting each other with like literally fish.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're like, I'm not saying the assault scene is interesting, I'm like, well, I kind of. I'm like, I've never yeah, actually it is right interesting.
Speaker 1: It's it's well, I guess it was the verbiage. I didn't want people to think, I'm like, the assault is interesting. I you know, just the fish fight is hilarious. And what's really.
Speaker 2: Incredible fish who makes a cameo yees later and a shot that made my jaw drop.
Speaker 1: I'll just say that same here. I even as much as we were talking about pinky films and sato that this honestly is a pink film moment. Practically it's insane. I mean that the fish that assaults somebody that is used as a weapon pays off later in a porn scene. I'll let you guys obviously will be surprised and no need to ruin it for the listener of the viewer. But it even ends that scene with the fish at the end, ends with the guy looking at the camera and winking, which is so funny to me, but yeah, like every other like okay, so you know, I've said this time and time again, Golden age films are the best ones. The ones that have the most staying power usually fall into two categories. They're either like really great like slapstick comedies, or they're just really bleak, almost anti anti porn, and this very much falls in that category, very rarely as this erotic. The assault scene has played out fairly realistically, like down to seeing even when you see the penetration, it's not enjoyable. At no point can I picture anybody watching this movie going like on their lunch break in their raincoat, sneaking into crank one out and being like, yes, this is what I paid to watch. I'm gonna I'm gonna blow a load and go back to work. At no point does this movie provide that. It doesn't provide that release, a literal release. I feel like it's you know, there's like one giant orgy scene that I felt like he thought he had to He's like, maybe this will just give the people what they want. But for the most part, it's like really artfully shot. There's like just this it's almost it plays like a memory piece. It's got this like hazy seaside cinematography, almost like just franco ish. And I don't know.
Speaker 2: Just if it really because it's a it's a it's not the best print, and so it's not as pristine as it could be. I know that they're not super happy with like the materials they had. I wondered how much or that sort of haziness is due to the source material. But regardless, I think it really works.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah, it wasn't shot on thirty five. I think it was shot on sixteen, so it's still gonna have that grainy like. I still think a lot of that it is because of that. I think with in regards to that, it would be more the like not the damage, but like the the what's the word I'm looking for. I guess my point is though, that it would it would still be pretty close to that. I do think it would have that even if they went from from the negative. It just might be a little sharper, but it would still be it would still be soft, and I really love that.
Speaker 3: I have a question for y'all something I didn't understand in the movie. Maybe I'll can help me. Sure, there's a lot of discussion about the woman in the film lead having this book into people where they become like rabid sexual animals when they get around her. It happens in the assault scene, but it also happens later on. It just like she has this magnetism that just seems to people can't control themselves. Is that ever explained or is that just something that's kind of thrown into the movie. I couldn't. I was trying to think back of, like was there a point this was introduced.
Speaker 2: I My interpretation is that Wes Craven's character, the Fireworks man like is the devil and he's like put a curse on her such that she d insatiable, and that's like why she falls in love with her brother and why all these other subsequent things keep happening. I think with that framing, I think it becomes a kind of a pro incest movie. If I'm being completely honest in that, Like the most tender and romantic parts are those parts, and it kind of has a happy ending for them. And I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is bold, this is bold, you know, Well, I'll add to that. Yeah, I agree with that wholeheartedly. I think that is very spot on. I think the movie is. I think it's it's pro like. What I actually think the movie is. I think it's just anti everything else rather than being pro incest, right, It's just it's just anti right. It's it's a great yeah, pro pro and pro like obviously, like it's dealing with guilt and repression and so it's like, well, guilt and repression are emotions, right, and so they can be overcome. There's a great speech that that wait, sorry, I want to answer your question real quick, Chris, which is that I think it also is used obviously as a point of being, like, you know, for a man to deal with this, he just joins the priesthood and has to become chaste because if not, the people see women as these inherent things that men fight over and become, you know what I mean. Like, I think it's a I think I don't know if that's why. I don't know if that's what the devil creates, but I think that's part of it. And I'm paraphrasing it, but you know, she has a conversation with Wes Craven at one point, and by the way, Wes Craven had to cast himself last minute. There were supposed to be a real Hollywood actor in this part. I forget his name, but he dropped out last minute. And like Abel Ferraro when he made Nine Lives of a Whit, I don't know, can I say, because I might being like, okay, great nine Lives of Wet Pussy. He had to cast himself, but whereas Able had to perform sexually on camera, West didn't have to. And Okay, so the quote is I actually pulled it up while we were talking about this, But he says, there are no mysteries that can't be untied, no fights that can't be one, but it'll cost you something. And I think that is both metaphorical for his filmmaking, and I think that is also about the cost of happiness, and I think that the movie really ultimately explores, like what the personal cost of these things are, because you can't make a decision without it having some kind of effect, whether you want it to or not. Right, impact an intent are two different things, and so whatever you do, whether it's society that's judging it or that's my take on it, I think it's a very beautiful quote. I think it's really really and I don't even know if he's like maybe quoting from the Bible or something. But yeah, I I also think it's very poetic that the and this isn't spoiling anything. The last shot of the movie is Wes Craven as the Devil looking at the camera while smoking and like with a top hat and fading out. I think, given that he passed away, I actually thought there was like an unintentional emotional resonance to that. But it also is just very fitting that it's him being like, all right, I'm out, I made my poor Now time to go make a mainstream film again.
Speaker 2: Wow. That was good. That was good. I think the movie. I think it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, agreed. I think it's one of Both of these are like the best releases from Melu scene like of the Year, they're in the top like three Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 3: And Chris Jamie gillis Sighting of the Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a minor role. Believe it or not.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, it was in one of the features where they were like, Jamie's the guy you call when you need a connect for, Like he's like your plug for like a bunch of adult actors, and they're like, we didn't Orgy call him Jamie and he's like, all right, let me round up the crew, which checks out. I think I think he's like my most like consistent, like he's my favorite male actor in porn, like for sure, like whenever he shows up, I'm like, hell yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree wholeheartedly. He's one of my favorites because you know, you're getting someone who's genuinely in the in the moment and good actors. He's a good actor.
Speaker 2: He's just a magnetic you know.
Speaker 1: Totally and not actually for one of the films we're gonna cover, I really cannot wait to talk about that magnetism. But the other thing I really love about him is he just you know, obviously he his later life got really uh well it's something, but he you know, he's like one of the only guys who really was in porn because he loved like he when he was wasn't making porn, he was still doing some fucking freaky, deeky shit, whether it was while he was married to Serena or you know, later on. And you know, I would let I'll let everyone else google what he was up to in the nineties up until his death. But it was not pleasant. He got a little achy, but like he nonetheless, yeah, he is someone who just he had no illusions about what he was making, but he also enjoyed what he was making. And so whether whether it's a little too sadistic at times, that's obviously for you to decide, but like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right on, I think that is all my thoughts on fireworks woman. Did you guys have anything else? He wanted to cap it off with.
Speaker 3: Oh, the first ten minutes, I was like, oh, guy, this is gonna be really boring, but he was not boring. He got great fast activated.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris, do you want to do want to stick it out or do you need to head out?
Speaker 3: Well? Are we doing behind the Green Door tonight or no? Okay, and I haven't seen anything else we're going to talk about. I think so I'll say thank you so much for letting me jump on, and I'll let you to express finish off. But I'm really happy to be watching these movies. I mean, both of these ones. That's so. I guess I would have seen anyways, because they're kind of through vinegar syndrome, even though I agree it's weird that they're on there, not these other ones. Probably wouldn't have seen Fireworks Women without this to Douce, I mean, I don't know it or yeah, a lot of the ones that we watch I wouldn't have seen and they're great and I'm really loving this, so we appreciate it all opening my mind and it's crazy to see how much y'all know about these. So I'm enjoying listening learning.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait to nudge. I can't wait to nudge you into watching more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watch them together.
Speaker 1: Perfect, it's gonna be a great doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, violation of Claudia. I gotta be honest. I don't have a ton to say about these. These felt more like standard issue sort of things to me, and I mean like they're a little there's something more there and that, like I think they are shot really nicely. But other than that, uh yeah, I don't know. These were also just kind of short and just sort of paint by numbers to me. So I don't have a ton to say about them other than that I thought they were fine, But it sounds like you have a lot to say about them, So I'm excited to hear what that is.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am very excited, particularly talking about the violation of Claudia because so and for people listening Pikarama, this is their line obviously because it's a double But you know, most Pikorama titles don't have special features very often. You know, they might have like a trailer to maybe an interview in there, but for the most part they're just the movies and at best trailers. This one actually has two commentaries, one on each movie with Bill Lustig and Nicholas Winding Refin, and they're great conversations because they it's mostly this is I think a great because Bill Lustig was like twenty one when he made this movie, which is crazy. He was like twenty one or twenty He had just finished like film school, which is so crazy to me, and he shot these back to back. But he talks a lot about production in the like in all the people like that he worked with and how he got the money for it, and Refin was like genuinely an engaging interviewer and he you know, he is a patron saint of restorations for like stuff like this, not just for Bill Lustig stuff. Because they were going to make like a maniac cop HBO series together. They had like a lot of stuff they were working on, and I've actually seen them in person. I went I saw Maniac about nine years ago. It was screening here at the American Cinema Tech and the interview on stage was Bill Lustig and and Refin. But he also, you know, Nicholas finding Refin paid for like the restoration of like Ray Dennis Steckler movies, the Ormond Family movies that the series that did that. I know that he's ye, yeah, Wild Guitar. I don't know if he did the whole Ray Dennis Steckler set, but Wild Guitar, which is like considered Ray Dennis Steckler's most accessible movie, he helped her store that too, So I think it's really cool that he helps with a lot of this stuff. But and I know those commentaries reported from the DVD that Districts put out a long time ago but built. But either way, so the movie The Violation of Claudia was the was made in nineteen seventy seven. It's about a housewife who is very wealthy but very bored with her life because her has been very busy and doesn't spend much time with her and doesn't really pay attention to her and her tennis instructor basically starts to become her pimp and like starts helping her like become like a prostitute and like do sex work. And by the way, the movie is an hour and one minute, it's sixty one minutes. It's very short, and it's crazy how much gets packed into this into this life. But Sharon Mitchell is the lead, she's the housewife, and Jamie Gillis is the tennis instructor instructor. And what I really like about the movie, first off, it's it feels more like it doesn't feel like a hardcore film. It feels more like a soft core film, Like it has it's it's shot like with very similar to Fireworks Women, where it's like very soft lighting, like almost has this like gauzy feel to it, like there's an opening dream sequence. He says was inspired by Bell du Jour, and which is so again why I love this kind of stuff, like when you watch Golden Age stuff, because these filmmakers were oftentimes not just making adult films. They would go make like exploitation films. After a lot of times they have the same influences that like a Spielberg would have or whatever. And being like, yeah, I saw this Kurosawa film and this is the opening is like you know, so here it's Beljore, but it's just this very artful dream sequence of like Sharon Mitchell being pleased by by a group of women. And the I have to say, like the attraction between Jamie Gillis and Sharon Mitchell, like their chemistry is electric in this movie. Like I'm not even talking about a sex scene. I'm talking about like just when she first is like playing tennis with him. There's just this like body language they use. And then they have like lunch together in the cafeteria at the tennis court, and like there's a lot of they're saying like with their body language and that you normally would save for like an erotic thriller or something, And I think this movie just makes it a point to be like like it really tries to push up the eroticism even with it's more taboo elements. At one point, Sharon Mitchell is dealing with like a or one of the characters I believe it's Sharon Mitchell is dealing with like a guy who's not even out of high school yet. And you could make those implications in a movie like this, I guess in nineteen seventy seven, but it it starts to have a concert like I thought. The ending was actually looping back around to like a conservative viewpoint on marriage. And it has a great final twist and a great freeze frame. Oh all the credit.
Speaker 2: Way yeah, okay, okay, okay, okay, it is so the ones I watched first and it's been a minute. I really will not do not want to spoil the ending of this movie. It is an all time it's so.
Speaker 1: It truly is it really is. I cause I was looking at my letterbox review and I even wrote I normally do not get hung up on star ratings, but in this case I did, because I was this was just a nice three and a half star movie, and that ending bumped it up to a four for me. It really truly, for a movie that's an hour long, it really does have it all, like it's really incredible.
Speaker 2: So this this was teetering on like it's kind of nothing to me, It's fine, like I might get rid of this blu ray after the review is done or whatever, and then that last shot and I was like, Nope, this is a keeper. This is one ever gonna that I'm gonna show to people this is a banger.
Speaker 1: And the second film, Hot Honey, I did not like. It's just about a woman named Honey who's like a virgin and won't put out for her boyfriend and she has like a Her brother is also played by Jamie Gillis, who's like in a wheelchair, but she has like a sexual like she she suddenly has a sexual experience and it like awakens her and she becomes really really really horny, and it just I don't know it. It obviously is the less artistic of the two. It really is just like one scene to another of like hardcore. I I at the beginning, it opens like in like an arcade or like a like a ski ball or something I don't remember, Like they're just playing pinball or something, and it's like this cool New York, you know, second unit photography type thing, and then it's just like one hardcore scene after another, and I was personally bored out of my mind. I thought this one, I think it's worth owning for the violation of Claudia. I do think it's truly like that's such a special film. And this is kind of the inverse where he clearly you might as well filmed everybody counting their money. Like it truly felt like it did not feel like the same.
Speaker 2: So that wasn't just me. I was kind of like, oh man, I don't remember a single thing about this, so yeah, it sounds like you do, but I had a similar take.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another interesting thing about it worth mentioning is just that the title the Violation of Claudia, I'm not sure you can go. You seem to say it's not accurate. I'm like, I think it's a little bit unclear, but it doesn't feel like it's accurate, like the title definitely, and like knowing who made it, you feel like you're gonna you're in for like something nasty, and then it's like not, it's like just kind of fun and pretty and nice.
Speaker 1: Like I agree, Yeah, I was surprised. I'm like, for a movie called The Violation of Claudia, it truly feels like like at no point, even even with the we like the weirder scenes in the movie, so to quote, I put that in in air quotes. Uh, it's still not anything like for considering what movies not just bilustic directed, but like that Jamie Gillis and shared Mitchell started really truly this. At no point did I feel like Claudia was being violated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe for like a second because like when yeah, they start their interaction, it's not really like he doesn't really ask, but like right when it gets going, it's clear that she's not fighting it or anything. So like it's a little bit questionable maybe from like a mon consent standpoint or whatever, but like that's a good point. Yeah, it's not violation, and like the way that you're anticipating in something like this, you know, it's just like questionable and then it becomes overall like a thing that she's clearly consenting to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the commentaries, I only had time because I was cramming all the special features today. That's been my whole day today. I had time to watch half of the first one. But it was a good commentary. I enjoyed it, So you know, if you're really in the commentaries, like for sure, check that shit out. It's pretty good, I think. And yeah, I think it's just like when you mentioned Belle de Jor. I've not seen that film in particular, but like, yeah, okay, this is a guy that like likes art movies. And is attempting to make one in the confines of what this is and like you can tell, you know, and it's something I always appreciate with these things. It's like, well, this is the task I've been assigned more often than not. A ton of these people went in like I'm passionate about making porn. But it's like, what kind of where can I sneak the things I am passionate about into this project? And I thought that was a nice I think you could tell it was. It was definitely like thoughtfully crafted, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah. It feels more like a like a later Gerard Domiado movie at some at some points than it does like like Roger Watkins or something where he doesn't want to be associated with.
Speaker 2: It for sure. All right, you want to hit up the last one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, I'm excited to talk about this one.
Speaker 2: Me too. I thought that this one was a lot of fun. I really liked it. So this is just I'm not going to show you the back of the slip because well, I can kind of get away with it. Uh, here's a front inside Jennifer Wells and then here's a back. I kind of flashed it already, but whatever, it's a drawing, okay, YouTube, police don't come for me. So Jennifer Wells is one of my favorite adult performers just across the board. She so gorgeous, but then also like she's so like having She's having so much fun in every movie that she's in, like she just owns it. And like I think this is a co director sort of deal with her and Joe Sarno. I don't know how much she actually played a role in directing, but she's crab.
Speaker 1: She did she didn't direct at all. She didn't direct at all, like just the yeah, she she just it's kind of like the point of the credit, but it fits with what the movie is. And to be honest, I don't think Joe Sarno is heartbroken over it either.
Speaker 2: It still though it feels like she's in charge of it. You know, as you're watching it, it's like this is my project and like maybe you'll do the job of directing, but like you know, it's all about me. Yeah, and we're doing my thing here, you know, and like yeah, essentially, okay, So all it is is just like Jennifer Wells gets in a cab and they're driving around New York City and at various points in this journey she's like, ah, that reminds me of this one time, and we see this one time and it's just fun. I liked it a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay. So just to kind of so people know, if a movie starts with the word inside, if it's inside, Jennifer Wells Inside, Deep, Inside, Anny, Sprinkle, Inside, Little Orally any that's that's a series, and they're mostly wall to wall sex films. They very they they will find the flimsiest excuse for a plot, and they all use the same music. By the way, there's a song that kind of plays like this little keyboard esque weird alien and sound that plays like during the sex scenes that like it, like it almost has that kind of like like this weird but they use it in all of the Inside movies, and it's the characters kind of breaking the fourth wall in certain ways. In this one not so much. It's more voiceover, but in like the any the Anti Sprinkle one, which I highly recommend, and the Inside Little or Anyone, which I do not recommend, they break the fourth wall. They look at the camera directly and they talk about different things that they like supposedly, and it's obviously tailored to probably I think deep inside Andy Sprinkle does sell it a lot better. She does. I have a feeling half the stuff there she does like. But inside Jennifer Wells is so it's a yeah. So it's a showcase for these actors. They're pretty much in every scene. And the production company I think it was Cavalleiro Video. I know it was like this was a quality X release, but I could be wrong, but I think this one was also, Yeah, it is okay. So they paid a lot of money to these actors to be in the movie and put their name on it, and so it's obviously mixed results, but I think this one, yeah, I think it's great. I think because here's something we were kind of talking about off Mike before we started recording with Chris, which was that, you know, during the seventies into the eighties, as long as especially male talent and born could perform, that was enough. What they looked like truly didn't matter. And and also age was dealt with a lot differently. Georgina Spelvin, Jennifer Wells like these actors started at a much later age and Jennifer Wells didn't technically, I think.
Speaker 2: In the The Reality Report podcast, which I re listened to because it's included as an extra, she said that she was thirty five when she was first cast, and I'm like, that's actually like kind of inspirational, like do something this subversive in this cool that late. Like I know that thirty five is not old, but like especially in like any sort of creative field, there's like this sort of vibe that like it's a young person's game, you know, and like to just be this awesome like at thirty five and just like do this is like I don't know, I found it really inspirational and really cool.
Speaker 1: And milf porn didn't exist yet, so like this isn't marketed as her being a milf or like a woman of a certain age that is not at all brought up. And same thing with Georgina Spelvin, Like when she did Devil Miss Jones, I believe she was around the same age she was already, and funnily enough, what they both have in common is they both started in sexploitation, So Jennifer Wells obviously wasn't afraid to get naked prior to this. She started hardcore pretty late, like this was seventy seven eight, and she started I want to say, around seventy four or seventy five, and she had already been doing sexploitation and in Distrip Picks put out Career Bed and Sex by Advertisement earlier in the year in February. That's technically Jennifer Wells is the leading Career Bed and Georgina Spelvin is kind of like the narrator in Sex by Advertisement. But those were a full ten years before this movie, so Jennifer Wells was not like a stranger to nudity at all. But what I love about the film is you obviously get some great New York photography, but yeah, she totally owns it. And let me tell you, for an inside movie, as short as her career was, this, the scenes that and the scenario she does in this movie are like career spanning. Like what I mean by that is when people start porn, they usually start by just doing hardcore scenes and then eventually they work up to like two girl, two guys and a girl, or two girls and a guy, and eventually the gangbangs and you know all that kind of stuff. This movie literally charts that same course to every type of fetish. So like she's like, as she's driving around one place, she's like, oh, yeah, I was really I really wanted a hairy guy. So there's a guy that's which, by the way, they're all hairy. Every guy is Harry in this movie. But there's one guy who just because he has a beard and long hair, really.
Speaker 2: Long, he's like a metal guy. He's got like a leather jacket all stuff, and so like he's got yeah that's true.
Speaker 1: You know. And then right, that's true. Yeah, he does have a swag and to be honest, and then after that, she you know, at one point she's like, oh, I also like big boys. And you know there's like, uh, there's a guy she visits that's uh, we'll say a little bit big boned. Yeah, he's a fat guy.
Speaker 2: That's a scene I wanted to talk about because I actually really liked it because like, fat phobia is something that has been on my mind a lot the past year or so, and just how pervasive it is. And I don't feel like they're weird about it or they fetishize it or anything. It's just like, you know, what, fat guys are hot, and so I wanted to fuck a hack I wanted to fuck a fat guy. And then he's just like, hell, yeah, let's go. And there's like a really kind of funny like maybe it's a little bit offensive, but I like the way that the scene ends.
Speaker 1: Oh I do too, actually know that she's just like.
Speaker 2: But like, you know, as far as like a porn from the seventies, like making the scene about fatness, Like I thought it was pretty good and like the bar is very low, but like I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Do you know who that is, by the way, right the guy? I don't, Oh, it's a car Stevens, who went on to direct a few movies on the Pikorama line, Roller Babies and Mount of Venus. He directed. He not great films by any means, but I've like, I have such a back catalog to get through from their Blu rays and I remember even back when I saw those before I started buying Pikoramas again, I was not crazy about it, but either film, but like, yeah, it's just cool that it's also like someone who works in the business. And and then from there, wait, there's a scene before that. Okay, we need to talk about this scene as well. This is what a good sport she is and how hilariously committed she was to the bit because I don't know you could see this all as like, I don't know, there's some of it. Like there's a scene again I don't know if inner racial was even a thing at that point, but like, you know, there's a scene where she's where she is with a woman and then in the when they finish, she's like, what's wrong. She's like, well, I just need a dick, and Gilbert I was messed up his last name. I think it's palm pummonteer comes in and has sex with her. But again that's another thing where like I say, like in you know, that's a currency now in porn, like you work your way up to interracial because that's where you kind of want your value to go up, so to speak. And in this movie, she just she does that scene and again I don't even know if that was even like a controversial thing at that point or if this was still like post free love. But before that, there's a scene where she goes to she they pass a movie theater and she's like, oh, yeah, I remember that theater. I had a thing with a projectionist. So a movie of hers is playing on screen, and the projectionist, who's kind of like implied to be like a drunk even though he could still get it up, starts watching from the projection booth her scene and starts drinking off and she walks in and he's sitting there and it's by the way, it's it's r. Bola, who I always forget his real name. But he's like, it's amazing this guy had a career in porn because he's like just the like a guy you would not think anybody would look at and be like, well, there's a hunk and a half, you know what I mean, Like, it's so funny. This guy always has like incredible scenes. But anyway, he he turns around, he's like, oh my god, it's Jennifer Wells. And then she joins him and they start. She goes down on him, and while she's going down on him, you can hear the movie in the background, and it's her. It's just audio of her saying more more men, give me more dicks, give me more dicks, and and she finishes pleasing all the men, and she's like, I forget the name of it, but she's like, bring bring the horse.
Speaker 2: The horse's name Blackie.
Speaker 1: It's that's right, it was black but not at all, not at all. But yeah, that's even funnier that I forgot it because that is boy. Well that's a choice. But uh, she she's it's implied while she's blowing this guy that she's like taking on a horse, like the guys are helping her take gone this horse, and she's like screening like, oh, yes, you're my favorite. And it's obviously like she has such a good sense of humor about herself to actually do like adr for that scene to to you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: The thing that I was gonna ask because I was not sure if these inside series were just like clip shows to just kind of like repackage existing scenes that maybe they couldn't fit into other movies or something like that. It seems like these were all shot for this movie, and so I was like, is there a different movie where she fucks a horse, because that's crazy? And I was like, no, that can't be right. And so what I was picturing is that she's just fucking a guy with such a big dick that she calls him a horse and then he makes a nighing sound and like that's the joke, but it seems like it's entirely that it's it's the former, but it's in adr so that it's like they can go as extreme as they want because it's just the sounds or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, okay, so yes, you're right, this was shot all it like in the moment it was okay, so not in the moment. Sorry, I got What I meant to say was, yeah, it was shot for this movie specifically, as was Deep Inside Any Sprinkle. However, the the Inside Little Oral Anni movies, which was also Little Ora An He Takes Manhattan. Those two were were not clip shows, but they were very clearly they just shot a bunch of scenes and split them between two movies. They're so it's so obvious, and so yeah, this absolutely was something they made for the movie, like this was the everything before this, nothing was if it was, I'm happy to be wrong, but not that I'm aware of. So very it's very, very very cool that that she actually like was just willing to have so much fun with it, you know, I think that's great, Like she has such a good sense of humor about herself. But also she's so beautiful, like just just but so electric. And so now that we've covered that scene, we get to the climax of the movie. No pun intended, but she obviously it can culminate in only one way, which is a bunch of guys having dinner is thank you, Diana. Sorry, there's a very funny comment that got place that may or may not be from someone I know. And the second to last scene is a bunch of men at dinner and she is the main course. She basically pleases like seven guys because that was like her dream and her dream comes true. And then this is the only weird thing in the movie that was very very strange that I think even as just I guess a sign of the times.
Speaker 2: Then this wasn't great.
Speaker 1: All the servers that are working at this dinner party, who are all Asian, that part's very important. She then lets them all have a go around with her, and while it's happening, there is like this weird stereotypical Asian song playing like it's just like no, no, no, you know that kind of stuff, just real. It's really weird. And also clearly, with the exception of one guy, I think none of those guys were professional actors. I think they're all like amateur guys. I could be wrong, but I didn't get the vibe that a lot of those guys because they were not they weren't good performers. They like got the job done, but they barely got it done. So yeah, but then it kind of like it doesn't exactly redeem itself. But there's then a shot of her laying naked with all the guys kind of surrounding her, and this text comes up that says that this is all this all actually did have happened. She had sex with seventy three guys in one night, and that this is this is adapted from her memoirs, which is a very funny, tongue in cheek kind of like, just, yeah, it doesn't fully redeem the scene that just happened, yes, exactly, And uh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Want to circle back to the lesbian scene real quick, because I really liked the other performer. I thought she was great. She's like has this very dark like lesbian haircut, like tattoos, she's got the like laborous necklace on. I'm like, this is my type going on right here, Like this is somebody I be friends with in real life, for sure. She's like that she's like, I didn't regret a second of this. I wasn't sure about it, but it was amazing. And then at the end she's like, how'd you like that? And she's like, well, yeah, it was nice, but I need a dick, you know what I'm saying. And so for a second I was like, oh, that's a bummer. You gotta you gotta be weird about it. But then she was just like, yeah, that checks out, all right, and she brings in the guy and it's like here you go, and then she and it's like a communal thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought it was nice. It was like we're all just gonna say what we want and everybody wins. And I thought it was a nice scene with like a very like clear like lesbian represented without being too weird about it, you know, like the exception of like naming the horse Blackie and then this like weird Chinese scene at the end. Like you know, there's a lot of scenes, so your miles may vary, but there was parts of this that were more progressive or felt less gross than I think the average person tasked with doing this would have made it.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree, yeah, wholeheartedly. I think well, because, like I said, the Inside series is just basically wall to wall sex, and it does give people what they paid for. But how they close line that is what makes for breaks these films and so this and Deep Inside Any Sprinkle, I think both have great clothes lines, great New York photography, just great time capsule stuff and they're just both very convincing. I think I think for Annie sprinklet's because she is she she lives her truth when it comes to kink and sex. You know, she's still actively involved to this day in that. And I think Jennifer Wells is kind of the inverse. She's just a great She just has this showmanship. She's just so so so magnetic and so beautiful and it's it's actually, I think, quite a great note. While the movie doesn't end on a good note, I think the movie itself is a good because this is the last film she did. She very abruptly retired because she married like a rich fan and divorced him, probably hustled him, and you know what, more power to her.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that's a bit.
Speaker 2: Sadder than that she left her oh partner of like seventeen years, because like he was less stable financially and he was like a traveling musician and like this rich guy was like, yo, your set if you marry me, but you leave everybody know, you come live with me. You stop it with the acting because you're just mine now. And she made a very strategic financial decision and was with him until he died, I think, but like her previous partner died and she was like, yeah, I regretted that every single day since then, Like I shouldn't have done that, Like I miss him, and like I kind of sold my soul to like be comfortable. So it's sad, but like it is a nice way to go out for like a short lived but very impactful career, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, especially because the you know, I one of the few Pikorama doubles I missed was the the one from last year, which was just like little Orphan Sammy and I forget what the other one was called.
Speaker 2: But I know that's the first title I reviewed on the segment.
Speaker 1: Oh oh very cool. Oh I actually remember that now. Yeah, because you said it was like really only for real heads only, Like it's not something that people should like seek out if they want because it's fun. They're just in fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just sort of getting started with this. So I was like, there's not too much here, but in retrospect, I think there's a lot of stuff there that's fun. I think you would like it in particular, so I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, then I'll check it out. Done, Okay, cool, Cool. That's good to know because I wasn't sure like it. Just it seemed like a weaker double. So I'll next when they have the Valentine sale, I'll pick it up. But yeah, okay, so now we have to talk about one more thing in the special features. This thing it is essential.
Speaker 2: It's a short film though does not exist on letterbox right now, but I added it to the TMDb database and I sent Letterbox an email, so hopefully I'll be able to log it soon. What is the name?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Ball? Box box ball? No box ball? Mm hmm okay, so if people listening, it's CBT. It's a CBT. It's what is now known as CBT, which stands for cockingball torture.
Speaker 2: Cognitive behavioral therapy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, which you're gonna need after you see this. And it uh, it's a short film of a couple and she just loves this woman who sounds like a fifty year old chainsmoker, is obsessed with balls and her partner when they're having sex, she does all sorts of things to his balls, twisting them any way you can imagine, as many times as you can imagine, and eventually fitting them in with his dick inside of her. And she ends it with saying, hey, if if you, if you have a guy with big balls, why don't you tell him to give me a call? And it has to be seen to be believed how she tortures this guy because the it's I don't even know if it's torture, but when it cuts to it, yeah.
Speaker 2: Almost like medically unsound at a certain point where I'm like what.
Speaker 1: When And it cuts to his face at a certain point, and the face that he makes is just incredible because it's just like he clearly at a certain point has clocked out. So this is a feature you could watch on the Blu ray. I did not watch it on the Blu ray. I was lucky enough about two and a half years ago to see this short on thirty five millimeter. It screened, so Phil, the programmer at the New Beverly, gave Joe Rubin a night of Vinegar Syndrome night sort of of two adult features. He showed Farewell Scarlet and Kitty's Pleasure Palace, which I don't think to this day has a Blu ray release. It's a very it's oh, I yeah, and it's really fun with the crowd. It's really fun with the crowd. But he put box Ball in front of Farewell Scarlet and it was sold out and the audience was losing their minds. It was an incredible collect experienced there truly is nothing like it you had And I was.
Speaker 2: Like, all right, what is what am I in for? And I was like, okay, yeah, this is pretty incredible. But to see as a surprise, that's like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah on celluloid no less like I can't obviously like when this back in its day when it was made, I'm sure it made the rounds in some capacity on like loops, but the fact that someone blew this up to thirty five and put it somewhere is just kind of incredible. So it's amazing. I'm so grateful that he put that included that with the with the two movies. But yeah, I even say it to my letterbox review just on that short a loan. You need to get this Blu ray. But no, I think it's a it's a very worthwhile Blu ray. It's packed with features, it's a super fun movie and and and it also just has this incredible short that is it should be. It should be viewed with a crowd. It'd be like, get some friends, be like, all right, guys, I'm gonna watch sneak get.
Speaker 2: Into a movie marathon and just let that happen. Yeah, this is a When I started it, I was like, okay, so it's a short film, presumably she's in it. And then I was like starting I was like, that's not Jennifer Wells. When is she going to show up? And it never happens And I was like okay, So I looked it up and apparently this was something that was played before inside Jennifer Wells, like on its cretical run, and that's why it's Yeah, so that's cool for like historical posterity, but also it's just it's a thing worth preserving.
Speaker 1: I think, oh one thousand percent. And for people wondering when I'm saying what the couple looks like, it's it looks more like a couple that would be out of like Batpussy m hm. So if anyone knows that movie that kind of it almost looks like regional, Like it's crazy to think that like somehow this this got looped in with with like a very relatively classy affair. By comparison, I will.
Speaker 2: Say she wasn't wrong. His balls are huge and like, yeah, it was impressive, so.
Speaker 1: Right, and the fact that she got them in there, it's like this must have been like a traveling show or something at like sex club at like strip clubs or something.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, I think that's everything. Yeah, there's a booklet in here that I didn't get a chance to read all of it, but I read some of it and it's by Ashley West, so that means, without fail, it's worth reading. Get it for sure it should be on the standard edition because it's just a booklet, which is nice for my shelf space and my my I don't feel the need to instigate FOMO by being like, yeah, I got this limited editions a great essay like it's just in there. I'm probably gonna hang up that fireworks woman poster yes in my house, and let that be a barometer for who is cool enough to hang out with me, and uh's that's it. I think smaller crowds and I but that's okay. I had a lot of fun doing this, and I want to thank you for your time. We've been here for two and a half hours, so yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, Celesta. This is always a blast. I'm always down to talk the mill you see inside of the equation when it comes to ultification.
Speaker 2: Maybe not live, but we might have to record a conversation for November because it's so intimidating and like, it's a lot and I think that it would make for a fruitful conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh. I agree, And let's bring Chris back for some of it too, because I think, you know, he actually watched Behind the Green Door, but there's more Sato and there's more like Also, I'm so hyped even if the movies don't impress, I'm very hyped to talk about the distrip picks double and finally a Jess Franco Porno, which is like, you know, they're not all very good, but this one supposedly is. I actually this is a blind spot for me, so I'm like really really so I totally would be down for a November chat.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, you know what, And like, also, I'm going to be doing the Kannie release too, I think and I think, And before we started recording, Chris was like, oh, I wish we were talking about this tonight, so you know what, we might do another another three way for November and just do it pre recorded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good watch. I forgot. I forgot that that was in my That was in my November box. It was such a tall order included the Center Park.
Speaker 2: Very cute and charming, which is not something I typically expect from the know you've seen side of things, but especially not overtly a porn because like that usually means it's like got some more transgressive sexual elements in it or something. But I don't know. I guess we'll see. But that's what y'all have to look forward to for next time. I can't guarantee when it'll be out because it is, I mean, truly an establishing stack that I have to get through and I only have but I do have multiple jobs and a social life and I can't just be watching porn all day like I did today.
Speaker 1: We'll see, and hey, in congrats on the the the new wave the announcement. Thank you for that. Very cool, very cool, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate that. There's more on the way. I can't reveal anything, but there's definitely more to come. So we're out here doing the thing. Professional critic officially. Hell yeah, congrats, Thank you all right, thanks you'all for being here. Thank you, and I'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: What's up, Supernatural super fans.
Speaker 5: I'm Christy Lenz and I'm Nate McWorter.
Speaker 4: And we're the host of Gang Gang Dream, a supernatural drinking game podcast.
Speaker 5: It's the podcast where we make up drinking game rules for our favorite episode of our favorite shows Supernatural.
Speaker 4: We recap the episode for you and let you know how all the rules played out.
Speaker 5: Then we let you know the drinking game rules for the next episode so you can play along.
Speaker 4: Plus members get every episode early and ad.
Speaker 5: Free with some extra bonus content chit chat at the end of each episode as a member exclusive.
Speaker 4: So download Gank That Drink, a supernatural drinking a podcast wherever the finest podcasts are available, and or.
Speaker 5: Become a member at true story dot fm.
Speaker 1: Sash Gank That Drink.
Speaker 4: And when you're out there in the world saving people, and hunting.
Speaker 1: Things, you know, the family business.
Speaker 4: Keep the Gank that drink motto in mind, be excellent to each other, and party, party on, dudes,