Speaker 1: Salsbury.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: To usc troupe, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Dan matthewscuse, this is the Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 5: Here's the two one for Siton. Swing it.
Speaker 6: It's down the third baseline, base in and it rolled to the border. The Astros take the lead on extra basis for cam Smith.
Speaker 1: He's racing for third long throw in. Say a triple for cam Smith.
Speaker 7: The two brown ball right at payin you goes the second for one Rogers the first double play just what the doctor ordered for the Astros, and we go to the twelfth Astros one Mariners won.
Speaker 1: Here comes the one to Carteni.
Speaker 6: Here's the pitch curveball and that's through the left side.
Speaker 1: Going with it, Carrotini.
Speaker 6: Another curveball and he steered it through the left side of the infield and the Astros take the lead two to one.
Speaker 1: Carrotini with the magic one. There. Here's the two to two Okert fastball, got eam strike three and the Astros win it.
Speaker 6: Ocher comes in and slams the door and the Astros win the second game of this series RBI single by Carrotini. Cam Smith with his first RBI this season. Ryan Gusto gets his first win as a major leaguer and the Astros get to go home happy tonight. Twelve innings and they win this game two to one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, while you were asleep, the Astros finding a way to get it done in twelve innings last night, beating the Mariners two to one, and Cam Smith first RBI of his career, a triple to the left hustle and triple.
Speaker 2: Man, I love to see that.
Speaker 8: You also love to see You would hope to not get to the eleventh inning, but young Ryan Gusto where zero margin for error. Guy gets over to third base and the infield is in, runners on the corners and a ball right to Jeremy Panion. Instead of trying to get Julio Rodriguez at the plate, he says, hey, let's get two here, and they get two. Then Victor Carrottini, the hero with the bats in the twelfth and oh hey, what a novel concept. Steven Okert in the twelfth inning works a scoreless frame, getting a couple of strikeouts in the ball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was good man. It was a late night obviously, get to a certain point we going and wake up early and watch what you didn't get to see. But Carotene, he's been clutch since he's been here. They Fromber looked like Fromber again. You know, you keep the ball in the ballpark, you give what six strong innings and strikeout eight? He was really good anytime that you can get to in that ball. A lot of different bodies used last night and hater what two more innings. That's back to back times. He's gone at least two of the last three or four days where he's gone two innings where he's had to give you a couple of them and then to be resilient enough on the road to take care of their business and get the clutch hit and double plays a pitcher's best friend. So it was nice and bullpen did their job and here we are and you don't want to overwork them. But from Or got you six, and it's here worship when a guy gets you six in Major league baseball, So good on him. He looked again like a guy who should be at the front of the rotation.
Speaker 8: And that's you know, getting back to Gusto too. Although I mean I heard Joe Spotto calmed Gusto. I hear the TV guys and radio guys call him Gusto. But anyway, it's besides the point. I mean, like I said, I mean, you've got zero margin for er. Right there, a little bleeder gets through. Mariners win that ballgame. First pitch of the eleventh inning from Ryan Gusto, right down the middle, just going right at the hitter, just saying, hey, you know what, if I'm gonna get beat, I'm gonna get beat by you beating me. I'm not going to beat myself here and try to nibble on corners and do all these things. That's a guy sean that the moment's not too big for him. He's ready to go. And I mean the other day, I understand, you know it was a game that was completely away from you, but he gives you three very quality innings out of the bullpen. I mean, it seems like he's a guy that the phone rings, he goes out there, he gets the job done. And uh oh, by the way, this seventh inning last night, if Joe A. Spotta could have a do over. Let me tell you who I'm putting in there for quote unquote right handed on right handed matchups.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm putting Ryan Gusto in Yeah, he's pretty impressive man and a guy. It's one thing we talk about and comes highly regarded and all that. But it's performance under pressure. I love it. And it appears that the guy could close you out at the end as we know it, I mean, meaning to be able to He got the win last night. I think right, he got to win to give you a a solid performance again. But the versatility of him, Hell, where can't you put him in? Watch him where? I mean it, he's not locked in and we're trying to figure out in seventh any who's that guy going to be on a regular basis? And you know who eight and nine are and well yesterday it was eight, nine, ten, eleven. Got to get to twelve and take care of it. So, but Gusto gets a win, it won't be his last one. But whether it's Bullpen or some time when he's you know, a guy in your starting rotation whenever that is the bottom line is that he doesn't care about the role and he's taking care of his business. And all the way from spring to now, every single time his name has come up, there's never been yeah but behind it. And so when it comes from the experts it comes, but talk talk talk about the performance. Okay, spring training. Everybody wants to know the guy comes right in here and is doing his thing. So I would imagine for Joe a spot of the versatility of him and the ability to doesn't matter, go do it and then perform it. It's hard to find a lot of times early in the season for some, but he is. He is performing at a time when they're going to need him all year long. Considering and you know, as you do well, you may be here and it may be somewhere in the seventh and maybe starting it, maybe winning a game later on in a game, and you know, you didn't know when your performance was gonna come or when your opportunity was gonna come again. But the guy has just been spectacular at least early in the season and came that way regard as spring training.
Speaker 8: Here we are keyboard Warriors. Were after Joe Spotta last night too. Seventh inning, you give up the lead after you just took the lead on the camp Smith RBI triple, and Joe Spotta decides in the seventh inning that's Taylor Scott time. And I'm again watching it on TV before nodding off and going to sleep, and Jeff Blum mentions, oh, this might be a chance to get Taylor Scott's confidence up. Sean, I'm in a one run game. I don't need to get a guy's confidence up. I need to win a ball game. Let him work it out when you're up five to you know, five to two against somebody at that spot.
Speaker 2: But maybe they feel a little different about him than you. Maybe they feel like he's doing his thing, that he's it's not a mechanical effect or. And we've seen this happen here in the past. We see it with Joe Spot, I saw with Dusty Baker. They latch onto somebody they believe in and they're gonna let him play it on the field. And now that's a novel concept. Every time a guy, I mean, we are, you know, a dozen games or whatever it is into the season and we're already looking for a seventh inning guy. After the performance he gave last year was pretty impressive. So I understand what have you done for me lately? League, But I do so I know this from a distance. We have a different opinion on certain things. But once again, when guys are there every day, like Joe A spotts, seeing, listening, hearing, watching bullpen sessions, watching mechanics on the mount, and listening to Dow he reacts when he comes in the deck out, all those things that go on with with a manager understanding, I would think they got a pretty good idea of we still like this guy, this is not who he is, or the struggles he'll pitch through him, that they trust him to do it. I just don't think you can crap can anybody who struggles early. We don't do it to a hitter, and why would we do it to a pitcher, especially somebody that they obviously believe in it at times? Last year bail jass out and was outstanding. So I get it, and I understand the search, But when better to build? You an't build anybody's confidence putting him in a five to one game and he gets two out so groundball, strike out in another out, that's not confidence because that's supposed to happen. I kind of do agree that let's throw him in there and see, because if we can't find out who he is to us now, how we gonna know later when it really even matters, we can overcome Game twelve or whatever it is In the beginning of the season, can't overcome the last twelve when he's going through a losing streak at three. There is a method to the madness about getting somebody back into and we've seen it with relievers that shifts on a dime. Those guys one day, I mean, they're the reliever's mind is like my OCD. It's like one day that. I mean, they're trying to lock in every day and one bat or two bad or before he could be a good pitch guy hits the line drive away on an out on of pitch that's outside the strike zone, and we come with he blew the save. And a guy went and chased a pitch and smoked it the right field and put the bat on it and drives in a run and beats a pitcher. I mean, it happens. And so I think we're way too early to stop the Scott train and have him get off. But I understand the reality of well, you put him in a game like that, but if you the confidence in the game, that's the point that I'm making. He's telling you why he put him in Bloom when Blood was a blum who said it. He's telling him why Obviously, why he believes this is because the confidence and the timing he put him in is literally too there's a collateral damage, either good or bad. There's an effect that pushes forward for Scott in this because if he goes and does his thing and it's like okay, under duress in a high leverage situation needed him and he pulled through. And truth is, if they put a quarterback in a game when you're up four touchdowns in the fourth quarter and you throw a touchdown pass and you win by five touchdowns, I don't think my confidence has risen because the game was done. But in these situations, when it's high leverage, that's how you gain it because then you go back to trusting yourself. So I think there's a method to the madness. Hopefully we won't be having this conversation in June, but if we are, then by that time somebody else will be in that role. But I do get early on and fiercely loyal. Has been a spot of Dusty Baker was the same way, and then there are certain guys when they don't like him. I think it was Dusty wasn't a big standic fan, right, I mean, I think he's Yeah, I'm talking about at least the way it appeared by appearances in certain situations. Right, that's what people's perception, whether it's true or not. It doesn't. And you know, Dusty had guys he did love, right, saying we all do and that you trust or that you believe are going to pay dividends for you if you show them early. On the psychology of it and the psychological part of it. I think Joe A. Spot probably understands what his player needs a little more than we do from a distance. But I do get the frustration. But it's called frustration and relief pictures. It's redundant. You're always going to be frustrated or uptight about him because it's part of the job. And I think that's it. I think we're too early to, uh say, Scott's a guy in the fifth inning and we got to maybe move him around. I think we're way too early for that.
Speaker 8: Well, it's not I'm not talking about it from being a permanent status, but I mean, you know, we're talking about building up guy's confidence, all right, what about Steven Oker?
Speaker 2: What about Ryan Gusto? Guys who you have put into situations and sometimes tough situations. They've done nothing but perform for you. Why why aren't those guys getting there? Well, let me ask you it is you just said build confidence. If those two guys are pitching where they are and confident, does he need to put his arm around him and keep it up? I mean they're probate. You don't need to uh have validation and you know from from others all the time. They're doing their job. And right now, so who are you more worried about right now? You just said it with your thing? Who do you trust more? The other two guys are Scott right now?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I trust the other two guys. Okay, so their confidence is rolling pretty good right now. So what does it make. I'll reward him when the time comes. But they're still doing their thing. Gusto did his thing with the win last night. Those guys are doing their thing in the role they're in now. At some point they usually define themselves, and the way you define a role is by performance. If cam Smith hits won forty five this year, by the All Star break, he'll be playing right field or third base in the minor leagues. You see the energy last night and why they put him in and I'd like to see him play every day. Boom turns a double into a triple just by flat out hustling taking care of his business. So it's the same thing here, you answer, why aren't they? We don't need to reward it. This isn't Junior high an American society and people the suburbs of Let's reward a guy because he did his job one day or two days, or it's twelve games in. Just as quick as I ain't putting Ryan Gusto in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sending Scott to the minor leagues and saying you're no good. I think the confidence factor is important. So to answer your question as to why, well, what good would it be if you've got a guy who's confident? Just keep giving him. The one guy who obviously appears from a vantage point that need that confidence to get back going to see who you are? Is Scott right now? And so why wouldn't you put him in those situations? I got an news for if he blows five leverage situations in a row, he won't be pitching in that situation. The performance is going to dictate it, not us, you know, standing from here, in a radio show or Twitter telling us I get him out because he's had some struggles. And I do believe there's a method of the madness. And I also believe, having been coached and coached both, there comes a point in time when things are going good, kick a guy in the ass. When things are going bad, put your arm around him, and maybe the guy needs one performance. But why do we want why do we let players get players get away with oh it's early, but pitchers, we don't want to let him get away with oh it's early. I think it's way too early to pull the plug on him. He did too much for this ball club last year. He should get an opportunity to play through it, especially now.
Speaker 8: And there's much more to talk about on that, and we'll do that here as the show goes along. Today, also to yesterday, the Astros sending away Rafael Montero in a trade to the Braves, sending cash as well and getting a player to be named later. Rockets clinched the two seeds, so the final three games of the regular season mean nothing to them in terms of playoff seeding. They get the Clippers tonight out in LA seven one three two one two five seven ninety. The number to get in on the phone lines seveone three two one two five seven ninety. So we're just getting going here on the Sean Salisbury Show on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Doctor Jeff witz It at witstvision dot com wh I T S E T T the very best in the business. Talk to those who've gone to the Lasik procedure like me, or that get eyecare from doctor Whitst. When you're talking about your eyes, pretty damn precious, right, so you might want to maximize that and go visit with people will tell you what I'll tell you. There's nobody better. He is attention to detail. He'll treat your eyes like he'd treat his own families or his own eyes, and he'll walk you through all the steps of lasik and the post I care. It's non invasive. I wasn't on the table ten minutes and seeing better than I had since the prime of my vision. So for me, there's nobody better. It's doctor Jeff Witzet at Witst vision dot com. Again, w h I T S E T T. When you're looking for your eyes and they are precious, you want an expert, right, You don't want to leave anything to chance, and you won't chance anything but success with doctor Jeff witzt It's Witsitvision dot Com. Wits It Vision dot Com. That's wits it Vision dot Com.
Speaker 4: This is Sports Talk seven ninety, home of the Rockets, Astros and the best line up in Houston Sports.
Speaker 2: Now back to Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 8: And Jayshawn Tates and a bunch of the Stay Ready crew, because I think you're gonna be seeing a steady amount of minutes out of those guys these final three games of the regular season. Someone three two, one, two five seven ninety By the way to Shawn nine thirty. Today Wednesday our day rol weekly visit with Dana Brown. It seems like it's very popular to, you know, talk about the moves. The astros haven't made the money, they haven't spent whatever. It might be permission to throw some flowers at at Dana Brown for the job that he's done, because I don't think enough people have done that, because I mean, you know, last year, you spend the money on Josh Hater and at the time it's not looking good, it's looking like, hey, we spent the wrong money here yet again. And this is a guy who is not what he was in Milwaukee or in San Diego this year, Where would you be without Josh Hater And especially last night an eleven pitch first inning of his outing and then he's equally as efficient in the second inning of it. You had in Brendan Rodgers, you had in Steven Okert. I mean, look, I know I just talked about Taylor Scott, but a guy like Taylor Scott sean this team is winning because of things being done on the fly by Dana Brown.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the problem is with people have a problem with Dana Brown. They made the decision last year. Now, in the long term, the trade he made to bring the guy from Toronto here left Handerkuci, Yeah, Kakuci is now an angel. Brought him here. He was masterful here, And I know you had to change three get rid of three people that you that they are going to be good future. So in the long run the trades is going to benefit Toronto. It just will. But in the short term, if youre going to sign him again what they needed last year for the timing of it was a great move and when it first was made, we all kind of looked at he is that too? Much to give up. It turned out that it would have been nice to re sign Kakuchi, but it just I mean that happened quickly into free agency as well. So I think Dana Brown's been outstanding. No matter what you do here, even though you're the guy after the guy that Jeff Luno is always going to be the measuring stick for people who get the GM job. Even if you do well, you can go to Indianapolis and play quarterback after Peyton Manning go to eight Pro Bowls, You're never going to be Peyton Manning. It's the same thing here and maybe Dana Brown will. But the hang up with a J. Hinch and Jeff Luno here and I understand why is they're just it's like the people's love for Juli Guriel Christian Walker at forty this year, it's still well, should we bring Ulie back? I mean, you'll still get that, and I understand it. So you can't win for losing. No matter what Dana Brown does, it's gonna be compared to Luno. And oh and one move like a Montero who the contract was not a Dana Brown contract. If we recall that, if there's a move like that or getting rid of Kyle Tucker. Now he's a National League Player of the Week. Well, is it gonna work? Wesnsky's gonna be good, Paradius is doing his job, and Cam Smith looks to be like he's gonna be a star in the league. It's gonna take time. You don't judge them like an NFL draft the next year. You judge it two, three, four years down the road. So I think Dana Brown's made some fantastic moves. Not all of them are gonna work. And they don't all work in LA. They don't all work in New York, they don't all work in Philly. They don't all work. Okay, but uh, I tease a hell of a talent evaluator. And I know see what happens when they go on and say read the back of the baseball card. People judge like some of the decisions by the fact it, Hey, it's a long season. But he said, it's a long season. But the last two years, and you know what, when they struggled, they've come back out of it and been right there to win a division. So he's right, we get more impatient. He's got to stay the course. We don't have to because we're media and we're fans every day. He can't just all of a sudden after three days say you know what a mistake that was. You got to let it play out. They realize that Montero no longer is bringing what they thought they were going to get, and you move him. So and there's some small I mean, Christian walkermaned it being a monster move in this offseason. So yes, but it's a thankless job. It's a thankless job. People still aren't over David Cully when it comes to Nick Cassario, and now he's got the right coach. Sometimes you got to sludge through some stuff to get to the guy who's going to lead your your building, or your team or your business. So I don't I just when when people are critical, guy strikes out and it's Danon Brown's fault. I mean, now, if you brought in a hack, and you know, I think that like when you kept to bray you too long, and there's circumstances to go with it, kept to bray you too long, you know, it falls on Dana Brown. When Dana wasn't the one who brought him in the first place, if you recall, wasn't that the Jeff bagwell so and so it doesn't really matter. It's just that they just heap it on him. But it's you know, sometimes when a guy struggles, I get it, you make moves or you miss out on moves. A lot of times it's things you didn't do that people wish you would have gone out and done. Get a center fielder when you know, after all these years and we need another outfield or getting what are we going to do for power? Why is aut two big playing left? But some of them are not just Dana Brown decisions. They are also you know, Joe A. Spotta and Jim Crane decisions. So when it comes to the big money, that's not a Dana Brown decision to keep Kyle Tucker. Sure they wanted Kyle Tucker. When it comes to where the money's going to end up being, it was just priced out here in Houston. So I think he's done more good than he has mistakes. You're going to make him along the way. I think Danta Brown deserves a ton of credit and has done a hell of a job as a GM, especially in his first time role as being a GM. You said Joe A.
Speaker 8: Spotta, who was the other guy in terms of you mentioning with decisions, because you'd also mentioned, you know, with the Texans, Nick Cassario, Jim Crane. And the point that I'm bringing up here is sometimes you have marching orders. I mean, with a bray you. I understand what Dana Brown was charged with. I guarantee you probably off the air. Dana, what do you think about Jose No, we're really concerned. I don't think this is going to work out. I really truly believe that's what you would have heard.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: He also who's the one who said on this show that he felt that Jiner Diaz was the future catcher here when Maldonada was playing and Diaz was platooning with him, and there was a guy in the minor leagues who was supposed to be the heir apparent named Corey Lee, and he came out here and said it, and everybody, look what. A couple months later, Corey Lee's playing somewhere else and he had no problem doing it. And right now the struggles are we okay? Are we now looking at him and saying, what a horrible decision by Dana Brown to keep yanar Ds instead of Corey Lee? Are we there because he struggled in the first dozen games of the season after what he did in a full body of work last ye some would say, right now, yeah, well it's wrong because it goes. If that's the case, Bregman would have been cut twenty seven times as an astro. They would have dfaate him twenty because if you just go, let's let's judge Bregman by April, not in Fenway now this year he's out of his mind. But here we would have said, oh, it's time to move on to guy's a bust. And then you wait and then all of a sudden May hits, and then June hits, and you got a guy who does all he does, so it's it'd be silly. So right now you're saying, man, the Corey leeuld be great or somebody, I'm sure there's some bring Maldy back, Okay, but y or start Victor Krottini every day that's coming. That's already there, show that that's common. So is Dana Brown. Are we saying it was a blown decision by Dana Brown to move Corey Lee and make Yaner d as a future No. Last year, everybody in this town was saying this is a cleanup hitter of your five hitter is going to be an All Star for eight years, ten years. That that's what people were saying. So well, it's i'll use their term, it's early.
Speaker 8: Well it's also too to your point about Yiner, I mean, if for the longest time it didn't seem like it was a Dana thing, it seemed like it was a dusty thing, and he wanted Martin Maldonado out.
Speaker 2: There, much like managing the pitching staff, get it, not the bat Nobody, nobody that even has watched a game of baseball would have thought you'd keep Maldonado in because of plate production. Sitting behind the plate, yeah, standing next to it.
Speaker 8: No, it's kind of like you know, we talked about every week with Steve Sparks, and I mean he's adamant that Jake Myers is as a matter of fact, he said it a couple of days ago with us, and then last night in the first inning, you see what Jake Myers and his value is out there. But no, I mean, I mean, look, you know, sometimes it's decisions that aren't your control, but when it comes to just overall trying to keep this thing competitive. I really just cannot understand the people who are against the job that Dana Brown has done because I think most of the moves he's made, like Steven Okert last night, see somebody on Twitter, what a fined by Dana Brown.
Speaker 2: Well, that's his job, so he's supposed to do. Dana Brown's built his chops is a talent evaluator, a scout. He knows talent. Now they got to perform when he gets here in the GM role. There's a lot of other things that come along with it. Yeah, it is. It'll play itself out. And Dana Brown's done a nice job. And you know what the thing about it is general manager's role is not to please you and me. It's to make sure he puts the best people on the on the ball field and to give Joe a spot of the best opportunity to compete and the players. But it's not all every single day going to look like we'd like it to look, and it didn't look every day like he'd like it to look. But it's part of building culture and building the team. And hence the one hundred and sixty two game schedule. So if we played twelve twenty seven games, be concerned about yan or d Is and some of the other things. We don't play twenty seven games. So I think I think Dana Brown's proven that the general manager job that was given him was right and when it given him, that he earned. But it was given to him as opposed to anybody else that interviewed for it, and I think it's going to pay dividends for them. Remember, he does have a ceiling on where he's allowed to go, not with his talent or his ability. The ceiling is you can be great if even with Jordan, Let's say next contract comes up and it's people are talking the big, big, big money. There's a chance he'll be playing somewhere else. You do know this, Uh huh, So how's that, Dan Bright? If there's a certain limit where you got to go, you know, oh, here's this Now all of a sudden you that there's there's this money and now we get to another level where this is rarefied. You get to you have to prove with the guy who signs him. And so there is a limit on Oh you just it's not the Dodgers where they've opened it up and they've opened the skies and said do you spend as much money as you want, but you better win a championship. Here. It's to a point, but then that limit stops, and you better find some talent underneath the three hundred and forty fifty million dollars a year. Guy. And they've been fortunate to do it for quite some time, Yes, they have worth noting.
Speaker 8: Two to three hours from now right on the dot, Dana gonna be joined us here for his weekly visits. All right, coming up next, continue the Astros conversation. And if this part is not here right now, well you know we're seeing it still a good thing. We'll talk about that here as we continue on here in the six o'clock hour on the Sean Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's play some lotto guys. How about that. I want to scratch some dream vacations off your bucket lists. Play three million dollar cash scratch tickets from the Texas Lottery and you could very well do that. Enter for a chance to win a sky cruise to Paris. You say, what's the sky cruise? Well, you can imagine it's going to be really, really nice and private for you to fly. You can get to Paris on the sky cruise Rome and Lisbon as part of this. That's right, you could win a dream vacation via private jet to Europe with stops in Paris, Rome and Lisbon. Plus you could win three million dollars instantly. Who doesn't want three million? Large? Right there? We all do so play three million dollar cash scratch tickets today and enter for a chance to win a European skycruise. Just go to Texas Lottery dot com. Texas Lottery dot com. That's three million dollars in the opportunity and a sky cruise to Europe. Who doesn't want that? Texas Lottery dot Com. Live there, The Sean Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 8: Uh, Sean, it's it's gonna go ahead and happen during one of these breaks. I am going to go ahead and just right here on the TV in the studio, I'm going to download the Masters app so we can watch Raffie, Afy, Barnerrat and whoever else goes off tomorrow at like seven am Georgia time, and we can have that in the studio. And then somebody birdies the first hole and you say, oh, hey, you know this guy that's one thousand to one is the leader right now at the Masters. People, of course never know. You never know when it's going to be Zach Johnson or Mike Weir. I never you never know, No, you don't. And as a matter of fact, a couple of hours from now, we're going to do our picks five apiece, right now, what you told me?
Speaker 2: We're going to do that? Sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, for five each, five each? All right, five of us. And I've already got my short list. I've got my draft board built up here. Well, as a rookie to this show, you pick second. Oh, it's fine, you just just so you know, you pick second, and we don't go around and wrap around.
Speaker 2: You just pick second. It's like the draft the second round. You pick second until you beat me. And that's never happened on the majors on this show. Really Yeah, well one time, I take that back, I think one time, one time, three one major. Brian's still sleep. So but that's a fact. I'm owed like forty seven breakfasts here. So when it comes to picking golf, you you've got probably no shot in this one. But we'll give you a chance. Since you are picking second, we'll give you a chance. But until you win, you don't get to pick first. You smell that, Yeah, do you smell that? You mean the fact that, yeah, burnt rubber, you're getting your ass kicked and left in the dust.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, you know that could be that very well, could be the conclusion here. But I show up, Oh yeah, I smell a challenge. That's that's don't ever throw the gauntlet down, brother, if you're not prepared.
Speaker 2: Got off the tracks, the trains coming through, talking to the wrong guy. Man, talking to the wrong guy. Always prepared for that. So bring whatever you think you got with your pick.
Speaker 8: And Sean Tripoli is almost like the guy in the grocery store. You got the wrong guy, bud. Yeah that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wrong guy, wrong boat buddy. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Anyway, all right, so we're gonna do that here, coming up in a couple hours, you know, Sean, just to continue the Astros conversation. They're still not hitting, but I mean we touched on a little bit in the first segment. The good news is the guys, you know in the starting rotation, the last couple of games you get Monday night. I know most of us weren't watching it at the time, but Hayden was Nesky goes out there does a hell of a job, and you're like, Okay, hey, Dana, I see you working there. I see, I see what you liked about this guy. And then last night you get fromber being fromber where we expect him to go out there and get ground ball outs and be able to get you a quality outing. And then today you get Hunter Brown. But I mean for some of the other guys in the ball I mean numerous chances last night. And oh, by the way too, I had even texted Blummer after a couple of plays and Ed said, I mean, seriously, do the Mariners have lucky rabbits foots like just you know, on them on their person at all times, because some of these plays they're making defensively, it is so many. Look what I found plays that you're just like, come on, man, it's called preparing.
Speaker 2: Brother. The Mariner is a good team. Anytime you can go into their building and take care of them. A lot of people had them, well they had it. It was the Texas Rangers, at least some of these so called experts across the country. Texas Rangers, Mariners and the ass was all what within two or three games of each other, and the Rangers is the favorite in most places. But they can pitch, they do play defense, and last year some superstar bats let them down and they went through it, and they helped the Astros on their road because they when they were twelve and twenty four and then in the middle of the season they went through some struggles that allowed the Astros to chase them down. With Astros good baseball. So yeah, they're making some good decisions. And right now, I'll tell you this, at some point in time, they are going to hit consistently. They just will. But anytime you can go literally steal one and extra innings on the road using a bunch of bullpen guys and getting six innings out of your starter with eight strikeouts and giving up, you know what, a couple hits, that's a good thing. I'd far more worry even though the strength of this team, in my mind is pitching. I would worry far more if we were into this season right now, record different, you know, a few more losses. I'd feel far different if it was our starting pitching can't get out of the third or fourth inning. That would start to bother me. And then you start be why because then the collateral effect and damage of happen to tax a bullpen early and then move on to the next Normally, pitchers are ahead of hitting normally at this time, at this point in time, they just are. Now you don't go. Pitchers are little head hitters are still feeling their way out first time through during a season, and then the pitcher's settling. So I'd worry far more. I know that there's changes in Kyle Tucker and Bregman are gone and all that, but they've got some professionals on this team that have proven in their past here and elsewhere they can hit. You should be excited because the guy in centerfield is actually putting the bat on the ball, which tells me that's got to be a good omen. If he's hitting well, it can't be that he hits two sixty five and nobody else hits two fifty. Al Tuovey's raking at the top in a new position for the most part, not at the top, but you know it's not affecting whatever's going on when he plays in left field. He's still raking. Jordan's long ball hasn't started to come up, but it will. I told you a million times not worried about him. You're starting to see some guys get going. Rogers will get going. He's been a really good hitter in his career, whether it's at Colorado or night. You still got to put the bat And nothing about the air in Colorado that puts the barrel of the bat on the ball. Okay, more space to hit it, but you still got to put the barrel of the bat on it, or wherever it is that you get your singles and doubles and hits from. So I am honestly, and there's no way Yina and Paena hit like this the rest of the year. There's no friggin way. And they're sacking there. They're surviving with good pitching and getting some clutch wins that come from behind and then you know, doing their thing and then having to you know, then get and beat and then having to come from you know, take care of their business in another low scoring game. So pitching is thriving. The hitting. There's no way Diaz Painia and even with Jordon's lack of power right now, I can't imagine that we're having this same conversation at the end of this month or sometime in the middle of May. So surviving and sometimes you got to survive stints where like, what's the hell's going on with our other guys Florida in the National Championship game, What's the hell's going on with Clayton can't get a shot off? And they still hang around the are doing their thing, and the big boppers haven't got started yet. So I believe hitting will come right now. God forbid that it's runners in scoring positions a problem at the midway point of the season, and we're still having that conversation. But I don't think we'll be having the same conversation we're having now or that we had last year at that time about why are so many runners stranded? At some point in time, your big boppers are going to get hot, stay healthy pitching, stay in these games that you're not exploding, and then when you do explode, then it's then then you get a little bit of relief because the bullpen doesn't get taxed.
Speaker 8: Oh, by the way, the twelve inning last night, one of your favorite plays happened. Chas McCormick leading off the inning with the runner on second, laid one down and what happened now they ended up scoring the go ahead run. Louder So the people in the they ended up scoring the go ahead. Okay, fine, you're right, so.
Speaker 2: Every now and then, now what you want, That's exactly what I want, because especially with the who the last year, if a ball was four feet outside, try to hit it over the left field wall, and who the year before was punch it the other way. Smart decision by the manager, good job by the player, and lo and behold small ball. Two games in a row they've been able to lay a bunt down and it's paid off for them, and it also paid off for the team that beat them the night before. I'm not a bunting guy, but I am a bunting guy when it matters. I don't care if it's you walk a guy you, but I got to move people over. With first base open, you got to or your first get him to second so he's in scoring position. Second, get him to third. Every now and again, that's just good smart baseball. Something that Joe A. Spota seems to understand. Small ball at a couple of games in a row, and it's worked for you. Well, it's it's a novel concept, a concept. Put the ball in play and do something smart with the bat and the baseball and a runner and eventually it ends up leading to, you know, a smart move. So there's a time and a place, and the time and the place is the manager will decided, but it's worked for them to perfection the last couple of days.
Speaker 8: Well, a good honest man admits when somebody else is right, and you, Sean, you were right.
Speaker 2: Oh now listen if you said, Sean, would you like to bun every game? No, Well, if there's a guy in second, no outs, I got to move over it's one to one. Yeah, I don't mind doing that if I can get him over. And it depends on who's the plate. If Ordon comes to the plate and is struck out forty seven times in a row, guess what, I'm not having him deal fun right because the forty eight time may end up in the upper tank. So but it's time and a place. I just don't know where. We decided to draw the line at delineation where once it gets to this year, not allowed to bunt anymore past twenty and twenty two thousand and fifteen. Yeah, yeah, we actually are. You swing through it and miss my guy ain't moving. Put the ball down. At least when it's in play. There's action and a bunt every now and again has its moments and its place often, but when it does and you execute it, it's a beautiful thing. Takes you back to when people played in nineteen seventies and eighties and actually made livings doing that. Guys stayed in the league because they could butt once in a while. It works. Yeah, it worked for Brett Butler. Then he took a wolf of ball off the midsections. Damn right. It works, and it'll get you a lot of opportunities used in the right situation with the right people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we just can't discount it. Nope, for sure not all right. The torpedo bats though. The conversation that won't go away. We'll still be talking astros Ronnie, I see you want to get in on that, but a prominent voice says, cheating, No way. We'll talk about that here on at the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, you want to scratch some dream vacations off your bucket list? Played the three million dollar catch scratch tickets from the Texas Lottery, and you sure could. And I for a chance to win the skycruise to Paris Rome and Lisbon. That's right, you could win a dream vacation via private jet to Europe which stops in Paris, Rome and Lisbon. Plus you could win three million instantly. So play the three million dollar cash scratch tickets today and enter for a chance to win a European skycruise and possibly three million dollars cash instantly. It's Texas Lottery dot Com. Texas Lottery dot Com.
Speaker 4: Let the celebration start war Sewn Salisbury The Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Ronnie. How you doing pretty good?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 9: I got two concerns. One people knocking Dana Brown. I just don't understand it. The Astros are just now, I think, getting over the effect of having lost four draft choices and international money when they couldn't sign young players. So when you want to deal with the trade deadline, you need to deal prospects, and they've done that. But I just hope that they don't if they're not going to sign their free agents and they need to keep their prospects, I don't want to see them hemorrhaging out of both ends of the body, you know. So, I mean, I wish we could have kept Kakuchi. The real concern with the Astros that I'm having now is we can't stop guys from stealing bases against us. And I don't blame Yiner. It's the pitching staff. I don't know. You know, they don't have the kinds of pictures that can hold base runners on. And I know you can't throw the first one hundred and fifty times and at bat like you used to be able to. But it's gonna hurt them. It's gonna really hurt them, particularly if they don't start scoring runs themselves.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the call, Ronnie, great boy, Ronnie. I first off, I don't. I mean, we could go down a checklist. Maybe I don't see it as often as you guys, because I'm not paying as much attention. How many people are crushing Dana Brown right now? If they are all over social now, I don't get on like certain you know, sites to go see what everybody's saying about it. If it's not on Twitter, isn't glaring. I don't think the comments I don't pay much attention to unless it's on my somebody sent me a message. I'll always try to respond. But I mean, I don't know what the bashing of Dana Brown would be right now. But they kept Cam Smith Cam Smith's gonna be a player. You got to let him do this thing. I just to me, and so maybe I'm I hear it, we all hear it. But I'm talking about where it's like he's the reason they're not hitting. That's not true. So if that's if that's where this is going. But number two is yes, the inability to stop people from taking basis is a problem. And if they don't hit, you're gonna put way too much stress on a pitching staff because the expectations. You can't. You guys aren't going six and two thirds all five They're just not going to do it. There's one million of rotation in a five game start and another may g it to five and two thirds, but you're not gonna get three guys going six and two thirds or seven back to back to back. It just doesn't happen. So and that's why all the specialists in the bullpen. So at some point in time, it's gonna have to the one's gonna have to carry the other. I mean, even though pitching has been dynamite for the last couple of years, even with injuries, they hung in there with Blanco and the way they pitched that in Scott coming out of the bullpen. They're going to have to hit. And it is early, but it is a concern. But I can't imagine, like I said, that your best hitters are gonna well, they've done it too many times to wallow down there now. Over a full season, we'll see injuries come into play. But what you're seeing now is not going to be a consistent run production for the Astros. It'd be almost impossible for them to stay there.
Speaker 8: I would say with Diana, it's more of just a momentary thing. The Kakuchie trade last year, how could you do that? You got absolutely fleeced. And then I mean, you know, you brought up the guys Bregman and Tucker both being American League National League Players of the Week. I mean the perceived handling of the Bregmant situation. I mean the way I looked at that. Sean was a general manager who said, I'm not waiting. I'm not waiting for this guy and for us to continuously up our offer of cool.
Speaker 2: They didn't continue to slap their offer, and I'm under saying that they didn't continue to slept.
Speaker 8: No do we know that now, But I mean, I'm just saying the time, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you just you're not gonna do the Pittsburgh Steelers with Aaron Rodgers thing.
Speaker 2: You're not waiting, you're going. I also, well, I think the Pittsburgh Steelers are out of their mind waiting on Aaron Rodgers too, unless this deal has been done for three weeks and and he's known it, and that's why there's no sense of urgency. He's just kind of taking his time. But if he's holding him hostage, I already checked out because he's not going to win another super Bowl. So just so you know it as good as he is. But back to this is, I don't think that they made. My gut is that there was a certain ceiling on that, and so the whole Dana Brown there's only a certain place he can go. And I'm now now that I see it in the energy, I'm not sure Alex Redman wanted to be here. I'm not sure Alex Redman wanted to I mean maybe he did. And when we say and of course he did, well, he's got rejuvenated energy and he's playing out of his mind right now. So say what we want at a buck fifty? What it was? I don't think they got their offer up to one seventy one seventy five, because why do I think Dana Brown would have liked to keep him? I absolutely do. Matter of fact, he said on this show, I said, who's the guy that has to make this go? And this was when they were floundering around last year and just started going. He goes with, I mean, I didn't get to finish my sentence, and he said, Alex Bregman, And you want that guy to get out of town for a buck sixty? I doubt it. But Alex was never taken a one sixty here. He would have loved to stay here for two ten, but it was easy to go somewhere else when he got what he wanted. He got good money, He's got all these opt outs, whateveryone wants to do. Watch him. I watched the Red Sox play problem most of the time. Every day. I'll watch minimum of six innings for one hundred and forty five games this year because I got the package and watch them watching yesterday, there's a different Alex Bregman approach this show. I'm just telling you there is, and I said it the other day yesterday. If this keeps up. When the end of the season comes, he'll be an MVP candidate. We've seen the movie in twenty nineteen. He's still now. I mean it appears he's capable doing. He loves a ballpark and there's something to be said, and there's a rejuvenated energy in him. If you can't see it with a naked eye, you're not paying attention. So I'm not even sure Bregnan want to be here. So you get to a point, Danny Brown, what are's supposed to do? Beg Borrow cheating steel, Jeff Van Gundy his ankle and if you didn't want to be here and a buck fifty six, they were never gonna let Dana Brown have two hundred million dollars to work with with Alex Bregman. Never and Alex was not coming back here for a buck sixty He could have easily so that discount wasn't coming or that fair salary, and so he moved on. There's certain things that sometimes as a gentle manager, if you it may be a win in losing. And we'll see over the long term. It's easy. Now we haven't even hit the twenty game mark, and look look at the conversations we're having I understand, and it's good banter. We gotta have good banter. But I got news for you, Jiner Diaz struggle. Isn't Dana Brown's issue. I mean it may become an issue. It ain't Data Brown's gig. He ain't holding the damn bat. Pull your damn self out of it. That's what it is. But I'm sure Dane is watching him closely because he always hangs around the cage and likes to offer advice without meddling with Joe spot his gig. So it's I know it's early, but the Dana Brown, it's his fault. Listen. Most of the responsibility usually should fall on the guy who's making the on the field decisions and the guy with the bat in his hand and the ball in his hand.
Speaker 8: We don't get much golf on the show, Sean. And somebody brought something up this week that I've been saying all along. We'll talk about that next right here, Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: Hey you guys, sort of propane or sort of with the c surtapro dot com for your free estimate, whether it's in home, online, whatever you want to do, whatever you feel comfortable doing. Each and every curt of Pro business is individually owned and operated. It is Surtapro dot com, sirtopro dot com for your place to go. Now, with that in mind, and we're heading into the spring with the great specials ahead, you do not want to miss out on this. You do not want to miss out on the sort of with the sea. This is paint and happy now is what we do at curt of Prone and it's expensive. I was a customer first before I became part of this family. It's expensive to own a home and to do it all the way you want. But if you're going to do it right, don't you want to make it look right? And the presentable that has the colors you like that pop and you can change them and do whatever you want. Those are the things you want to do when you're dealing with curt of Pro and help you pick out the paints the experts in their field, and they do it right, local, timely and exactly what you want. And with spring specialists coming around, you do not want to wait and get that business or that home popping right presentations everything, especially if it's for your eyes, you love it. It's sort of pro painters sort of with the sea sort of pro painters. That's painting Happy, kd.
Speaker 4: E Houston, KTDHD two Houston and an iHeart radio station, Rocket Sports Talk seven ninety Your Home for your home. Teams from the Parsons that Matchine Next Studios Salsbury, Oldbury.
Speaker 2: Salisbury, Houston.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: To USC troupe, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Dan MATTHEWSCU Jesus, this is the Sewan Salisbury show.
Speaker 8: Already working in the portal pop Isaacs. A guard from Creighton is going to be joining U of H's team, just a day removed from that hard loss in the championship game. Someone three two one, two five seven ninety. Get to the golf here in just a second. But since we were talking Astros, Rob wants to wait in here. Trip, You're gonna have to punch him up because my phone screen just went up. Put Rob, what's going on? Good morning?
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning, guys. Just kind of wanted to piggyback on what you guys were just talking about. You know, with the current state of the Astros, it's it's time. We've been saying it for the past couple of years. Now that this this kind of rebuild phase was coming and we're there. I mean, we've got half the guys in the field, our brand new guys. Bregman and Tucker are gone. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. And I don't care that they both got ALNL Player of the Week. I'm happy for him, but at the end of the day, I still would have not not made those deals. I don't think we I don't think Bregman was ever gonna get the money that he was asking for from US. I don't think his performance the past three years had dictated it, and I certainly don't think he earned the contract that he got in Boston. I mean, great for him, but I still kind of think in the long run that there's a good chance Boston's gonna end up regretting that deal. With all the opt outs and the money they're paying him on a three year basis, this is the first year if he keeps us up. This is the first time in three or four years that he's even to sniff an All Star vote. So I mean, good bye him. That's exciting, but you know, history had also shown it's really not that surprising form over there because if you look at his stats before he went to Boston, his hitting stats in Boston were never bad beginning, middle or end of the season.
Speaker 5: He'd always hit well in Boston.
Speaker 10: So there was a side that was, well, he's a second half player, but there was also the side that says, he's always done well in Boston. So you weren't really sure what you were gonna get. But if you got to go by the numbers he didn't earn, then he didn't earn the contract that he was looking for here. So there's nothing to be upset about that. Hindsight's twenty twenty whatever. I'm not mad about it. I still wouldn't have not made that deal.
Speaker 2: I would have done the same thing they did. I would have let him go. I'm glad he went to Boston. Yeah, yeah, you're exactly right. I would have done the same thing, considering what he wanted for a price, I would have let him go where he is.
Speaker 5: To quote moneyball, you know, you you let him go.
Speaker 10: That opens up unlimited amount of possibility and we'll find a way to play with that.
Speaker 5: But until then, this is a rebuild.
Speaker 10: We've got a guy that spent thirty games in the minors and before that he was a college player. He'll figure it out, but like you said, Sean, he's got growing pains to go through, and unfortunately, the team's gonna have to suffer and bear those growing pains, or otherwise he's never gonna become the star that he's capable of becoming.
Speaker 2: Fact.
Speaker 10: Until then, you know, these guys have got to play together. It's like I said, it's practically a whole new squad at two. They still learn in a brand new position. You know, Jordan has always said I want to play the field. I'm not sure when his bat's gonna wake up because it you know, again, the numbers show when he plays the field, his numbers are better. But now we've got guys that can regularly play those fields and they're they don't constantly put his knees at risk. Right, He's gonna have to figure out that adjustment.
Speaker 5: This is a growing year.
Speaker 11: Guys.
Speaker 5: We'll be fine, but we're gonna have to go through the bumps in the road. That's all I got, guys, all.
Speaker 2: Does He's exactly right. Roads said it before. Most roads are unpaved. They just are, and then they've had their paved. They've earned it. They paved it out a little bit. Now there's a little construction on FM fourteen sixty three. In full. Sure, they're going to have to some pitfalls where it rains and it stops down, all the all the silly, cheesy comparisons, but the bottom line is that they're there's some detours they're taking now. They haven't had much detour the last seven eight years. Now they earned it to get to that point, but detour of other competition. But I'm done about players and the detours they've handled. A player leaves, they've they've been fortunate the next guy stepped up and done his thing, or the overall team has grabbed it and said we'll overcome it, and they have. Now they're in a I don't even know if it's quite rebuilding, but it's different, different, and they're rebuilding some too because you've got some young players in the next three or four years. The lineup's even going to look different two years from now than it does now, different next year. It's just going to so they there is some you're taking a detour mentioned the right field. You've got a new third baseman, you got a new second baseman, you got a new first baseman, you got a dh to start off slow, you got a new left fielder, you got a new visual that Jake Myers is hitting. I mean at leads to east two times right, doing some things. So it's different, but doesn't mean it's bad. It's just started slow with the bats. But the growing pains get in line. They've been through them before, so this should not be any surprise, and you don't have to go through They're not losing one hundred games. They may lose eighty two games, they may lose eighty games, they may lose seventy games. They're not losing one hundred, so you're not getting no more sixty game you know, win seasons or fifty five games you win. They now have an opportunity, but the fans, all of us are going to have to sit there and say, Okay, be a little more patient. It's going to take the iron or another a little while to get going. Have not to do the back of baseball card has to do with a recent body of work. Guys been pretty good. So yeah, it's this is not going to be perfectly paved road to get to where they want to go this year.
Speaker 8: It's just not well and it's also to the point of differentiating between retooling and rebuilding is because I think whenever you bring up the second our word right there in sports, fans immediately start to get PTSD, especially once here of oh, we're not going back to the early twenty tens, are we Like?
Speaker 2: That's what people think of.
Speaker 8: Whenever you mentioned that word is all right, well, then that means we're going to go in the Baseball Siberia. We just saw it wrap up over at Toyota Center. Now finally is the fruits of the labor of going through that. But for the last five years it sucked. The Rockets are just the Astros. A handful of years later back in when these people were suffering through eight thousand people being in the ballpark and nobody want to show up, that's who the Rocket And now the Rockets having Yeah, when Harden was here in West Westbrook and Crispaul, they won games and they well health they had a three to one lead and one So it's been a little more recent for them. But over the last few years, when Silas was hearing them growing and all the trades and a new GM, they went through the O, hell, we're not very good three years ago, well two years removed from what twenty two to twenty three wins. Two years removed and we're not even there yet because we're not even at the end of that season. And now here they are forty one last year, already in the fifties this year and the two seed locked up now they ain't. Nobody had that on their Bengal card playoffs this year. I remember listening to people goals to get to the playoffs be one of those teams just plus they're the two seed now, can't take a sigh of relief, and I'm sure Udoka is not letting them where it's like, oh, okay, we're the two seed, we're pretty good. The truth of the matter is the odds for them to win an NBA championship by the prognosticators in Vegas, I don't know what they are, but I'll guarantee you they're not even in the top five, even as the two seed in the West.
Speaker 2: I guarantee it. Somebody below them where they're seeded is going to have better odds to win a championship than they are. Doesn't mean a hill of beans, because guess what Vegas doesn't get to play the game, and either do you and I they do, so they're just the they're just basically the Astros are going through these last few yars what the Astros went through before they got good. Now they're at the two seed, and I think they've arrived sooner than we expected, to be honest with you, So now what do you do it?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 2: It's not cutting time after these three games. Now it's playoff time, which in essence becomes single elimination. Because I just approached every game you want to win because you don't want to be the one that's one game away from being out. You want to be the one that's one game away from moving on. So that I love it, and I love the fact that maybe they're a bit premature, a little year early.
Speaker 13: Good.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they'll go win it and do their thing. If they don't, great experience and growth long and they don't want to hear that right now, but from a distance, no matter what happens, And I don't ever like to say athletes are on house money. Screw house money, how cause guess what, we're never sure when you're got Marino. Dan Marino told me a handful of years ago. I said, we were talking about his appearance in nineteen eighty four in a Super Bowl. Year two off the chow was at eighty four eighty three. Dan was a rookie in eighty three, so I think it was year two in the league. They got beat by the forty nine ers and a Super I think a year two was eighty four is when he threw for like five thousand yards and Marino forty some touchdowns, well ahead of his time. Dan told me years later, he said, Sean, you know what I expected to play, And after that loss, he said not, I hated losing. He's one of the fiercest competitors I've ever been around in my friggin life. He will cut your heart out, feed it to you on a platter, and smile at you while he's choking you out with his foot. That's Dan. And we had a conversation and he was open with it, and he said, Sean, I thought I'd go to four or five more. Happened so early in his career. He never saw it again, and he did he was still. I mean those kinds of things bug, because if Marino goes and wins the Super Bowl's people are putting him in Mount Rushmore. The only thing that's keeping him out is the ring because he could throw it better than anybody we've ever had. Right, that guy was awesome, so but that he's still he suffered from me to bothered him, and so these are hard to get to men. So screw when I all there on how screw house money? Just because this is a young team. What did this team gets split apart and somebody wants to go and all of a sudden, somebody gets an attitude problem and you're right back where he started. Now, we don't want that to have happened, but they are hard to get to, So ain't no house man. They should have the idea that we're going to win that damn thing this year. If they don't, my point is the experience you get from either getting your ass kicked or moving through rounds is immeasurable for their future one way or the other. And how you deal with it is going to be on Udoka and the maturity of the team. But I'm telling you there's not a solo live that thought they were going to be the two seed when this season started, and you and I both.
Speaker 8: Know it now definitely exceeded expectations. No doubt about it all right, coming up next, Sean, I'm gonna give you a choice again today at seven fifteen, and it's gonna be a tough one for you. I guarantee that's coming up right here, Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Hey, my guys at Country Boys Roof and Country Boys John, John, Zach and Connor. It's not just John, iipman, but he's the leader of the group, but wants to make sure that these people know that this team is a team thing. Listen, you've got Better Business Bureau recent members now the Better Business Bureau which is awesome. Texas Windstorms certified and discounts for all those good guys out that in military that are educators and that are first responders. Five hundred dollars off the full roof when you go get your estimate and you get that roof fixed on, five hundred dollars discount if you're not because they're not price gouging yet, they don't do that. They work the opposite. They want to make it feasible for you, especially with storm season coming up, and one thousand dollars off if you mentioned my name on the full roof, full roof help you navigate insurance claims. They are they'll go anywhere in Houston. There's no job too big or too small, which is a good thing. So the ego doesn't get away, Oh that's too small for us. No, they want to make sure you're happy, excuse me, and you're safe. Country Boys Roofing is a certified installer of Atlas and also certain teed shingles. Okay, so they're there as well, so they are better business bureau members of that. They go wherever you need them to go and discounts glow without price gouging. Now, isn't that a novel concept? When they're taking care of you. Roof loyal on and we'll give you the best possible price with these discounts, so you feel like somebody cares about you at a time when quite frankly, a lot of businesses don't. It is Country Boy's Roofing. It's country with a K, boys with a Z. It'll get done right quality and honesty, and they don't price gouch. Country Boys Roofing Country with the K, Boys with the Z. Countryboysroofing dot Com for that estimate. Countryboysroofing dot Com.
Speaker 4: The Shawn Salisbury show continues on seven ninety and continues in your home. Say Alexa play Sports Talk seven ninety on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All Right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now?
Speaker 4: The Salsbury's takeout Salsburyefs takeout on The Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 8: Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety. Astros beat the Mariners in twelve two to one. Rockets get the Clippers tonight. They're already entrenched in the two seed and the Nuggets fire. Mike Malone just a couple of years removed from a world title. All Right, Sean has promised, I'm gonna give you two choices here. I'm gonna give you a swingers club against a church or a Florida man arrested for throwing pe at people over a declined job interview.
Speaker 2: Which one do you want? I'm gonna say, anytime you can weave urine on, somebody's a good thing. But you can ask a question on both. And let's see where the energy is from all of us. What we think is more either hilarious or fits on both? All right, quick.
Speaker 8: Summary on both. So, a swingers club in Connecticut is being asked to shut down operations because they're right down the street from a Baptist church, and the owner tells a Facebook page and an open letter that this is about the pastor of the church having a friendship with the mayor of the town. And the cops were called out to this place once, and one of the police officers telling the Bristol newspaper it's, you know, a bunch of consenting adults doing their own thing. As for the other guy, a guy in Florida, funny enough, you know, it seems like it always happens here. One of the job at a door distributor, and he applied for the job and then tried to get a job interview and they said no. Well then he showed back up with bottles of urine and said, here, why don't you eat these?
Speaker 2: Can you eat a bottle of urine? You know, like you know in throwing in sports, you know, eat this, you know, or eat or eat it? Yeah, you know, don't the ball. Yeah, when you say suck it, you're not referring to suck it. Could be anything, right, Yeah, I got you know what I'm saying. Oh I know, oh man, sucky side they suck or socket? Yeah, yeah, all right, So eat this or or drink this. I would I kind of like both. So when you don't get the job or don't get the interview, that's what we do now, instead of go back to work and try to and apply it four hundred other places, which most of the world had to do.
Speaker 8: I've said this for the longest time now, Sean, that there is going to be a landmark lawsuit because some kid coming out of college is going to have applied for a job and not even gotten an interview, and it's going to be you know, oh, well they have to give me an interview.
Speaker 2: No they don't, that's up to them. Well I don't have to do anything. I don't have to do any of that. But the entitlement is, oh, I walk through the doors, I deserve an interview. Well maybe there's fifteen other people that deserve it more than you, So I don't pay attention. But right then and there he is now put out there that you wouldn't hire him anyway because the second goes wrong at work. This is your problem, child, hence why people may not give him any more interviews. You get my point. It becomes a cyclical thing, just constant, where oh I didn't get the interview. So let me drive it. Let me throw some pea on you. So what happens at work when he doesn't get the pay raise? What's next? Then drops trow and there on a trash can in the boss's office, or then what's after that? Then the next thing, and before you know it, you have to get rid of him anyway, So save yourself the trouble and don't hire his.
Speaker 8: Well, it wasn't there like somewhere like on school grounds. In this one place there was a cereal pooper and people were like, oh my god, no, But then they found out it was like the principle of the vice principle.
Speaker 2: That was doing it. Yeah, the old sneak attack. How's that grab you? And then we got a we got a swingers club or group that is next to a church. Yeah, it's next to the Riverside listen, Baptist church. If you're if you're deep into the gospel and you're you're God fearing for you shouldn't have to worry about the temptation of the strip club next door. Handle your bit. A matter of fact, here's why you should look at it. I'm being a good example because when I walk, well that it's going to be the perfect the perfect phrase when they say, oh man, I'm sweating like a like a like a slut in church. Right, So now the salvation, So I now have it. You walk out of your freak you walk out of your freak show, and you're you're were you're you're banging your best friend's girls, brother's husband's friend. And in what in that what a swingers club is? You're you're you're you're making sorry making love to your friends with your best friend's husband or something. Then you could walk right out of church and go repent everybody. Right, So here's how you look at it. If you're a true, deep, humble, god fearing person, you're the pastor or the church, you say, we welcome everybody. We we welcome in. We don't judge anybody, because if I'm judging the people who are banging each other next door, am I truly God? There's a spirit of the Lord with me. I mean there's places in this city we don't have zoning. You go elementary school, wine bar, a liquor store, strip club, in a Mexican restaurant, bingo bango bongo right there. You get them all.
Speaker 11: So I to me.
Speaker 2: Now, I say it tongue in cheek and with a little bit of hyperbole, but in truth, I'm a church. You guys are doing your thing while we may not like it. I'm gonna be true love and you guys do your thing and if something's wrong, they'll take care of it. We're we're church and we don't judge. So listen. And if you're in, if you're into the swinging thing and you pick the wrong partner, just go next door and repent to the Good Lord and tell them you're sorry. Don't you feel like that club's like?
Speaker 8: Don't you feel don't you feel like clubs like this are literally like fight club or like, you know whatever, anonymous like you know, the whole point of it is, people are supposed to remain anonymous.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: It's one of those like, Hey, that's Tim. Hey do you know that Tim's a swinger? Like you can't have that following you around.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't church be treated like uh, shouldn't church be treated like Hippa did? If you see somebody walking out of the swingers club, but let them deal with their own issues. You see somebody walk on the Trip Strippers club and you're stand outside on the front steps of your church and you see him. It's like, hey, Steve, Hey Janet. Yeah, I mean, but if you're truly in the spirit of the Lord, okay, you accept them with open arms. Not well when you say accepted with open arms just with your clothes on, though, But but come on, though, you've been to enough churches to know you're going to say, you've been to enough what you do on your own time, you know, don't judge. Don't judge.
Speaker 8: Let the flag fly, bro that is to you. I mean, there's a shirt I got on right now. What it's like fight club? I don't need to know about it.
Speaker 2: You don't talk about it, right, So listen, let the let the zoids be zoids, and let the the Gospel principles rear their head and welcome anybody who wants to walk into their church. Isn't that the spirit of the Lord. Isn't that the spirit? Tell me? Do you don't judge anybody at our church? You walk in and they're mad at you as you were begging somebody else.
Speaker 8: That's church as a whole right here, right, you said, Steve and Janet, Well, because you know you're talking with another couple or somebody you know, Hey, Steve.
Speaker 2: Hey Janet. Hey, by the way, you know about them. Yeah, that's that's what happens at churches. You know enough churches. And plus, if you're living your life right, what goes on next door won't affect you. Hey, and you reach out and try to matter of fact, I say, you reach out and try to help them. Maybe go over to their party once in a while and make sure that things are going. Just keep everybody straight, you feel me. Everybody needs a chaperone. Hey, we all need a mentor. Yeah, okay, So my philosophy is just, you know, love thy neighbor, even if they're banging your husband. I'm just kidding. Look man, yeah, hey, you asked. I'm just telling you my love for the group. Okay, as a god fearing men, and I just I'm not going to judge anybody, you know. Just hey, you're all welcome on Saturday Sunday, come on into my flock. I wanted to be part of my flock. It's good to love. That great word, a great biblical word, it is, Hey, join my flock. That's it. Do you think that they're but they're probably mad and when they look next to her like I can't believe it. Then they're starting to look at it. Man, I got my own house in order. See your house in order. If you're a Catholic church, you'd have some of the you know, the Catholic ladies spitting on the ground. Disgusting. Yeah, but then you can go in and how many how many do you think you gotta throw?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're coming out of the booth. You're you're seeing quite a few penance you got to throw, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so, Hey, just just live your life right and don't be Gladys Kravitz. I've used that before, which means quit staring into everybody else's window and judging them. Let them live their life. Now if they're breaking the law, but if they're doing their things, the moral law is none of my business. That's on them to decide. Then you can come in and repent to me. But I'm not going to be the pastor in anybody's church. So there you go. I'll just go listen to them.
Speaker 8: We cover at all people throwing p and while people doing other things. All right, golf, As I mentioned, we didn't have a chance to get to it. We'll get to it here. Does golf have a this problem? We'll talk about that right here Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, what about a fresh coat of paint for your business or your home? Sort of pro painters can revitalize the interier and exterior of your home. Don't stop at your home. Maybe it's time to refresh to paint at your business too. Surt of Pro paints residential and commercial properties. Listen, there's a spring. Sales have been going on from now till May fifteenth. Get ten percent off any home project of twenty five hundred dollars or more. That's ten percent off. And man, do they do great work. I was a customer first. Each sort of pro business, the painter's business is individually owned and operated and cert of pro painters. It's happy painting as we know. Schedule your free estimate at sertapro dot com and that's sort of with a C. So, whether it's your home or your business in Tier X tier, the timeliness, the localness of it, boutique feel because it'll feel like they your neighbors are coming over to help you paint like you're a di wire. But they do it the right way. Listen, as a guy who was a customer first and made me feel so comfortable after watching what they did for my family and for my home, to come out of it and say, well, hell, I want to be a part of that, and I am and I'm grateful for it. Again. Ten percent off between now and May fifteenth of any home projects over twenty five hundred dollars or more. It's time to do it. Get that spring pop not only in your step, but in your home or business. Each sort of pro painters business again is individually owned and operated. Schedule for that free instrument online at sertipro dot com. That's sort of with the sea. That's sort of what the sea sort of pro painters. That's painting happy.
Speaker 10: I had to live that.
Speaker 2: But the Shawn Salsbury shown is that fair to say, oh, now the player to Ben and later sometimes comes out to be a pretty good player. It's rare, right, I mean? Or is it the dominant player? But is that a is that the worst? Like like twenty years later when they go, hey, what did you get traded for a player to be named later? Well, I mean you can get crash Davis out of it, right, remember that? What are you doing here? I'm the player to be named later. Good thing, yeah, good leader, but maybe not raking like he'd want him to. But he's catcher, so we're good. So we're at that stress because she's wearing a dress. Come on, then there you go poise under pressure. But I always wonder, like, when you leave and you're hung on the plane in your new destination, do you feel disrespected because you got traded for a player to be named later It wasn't even worthy of getting you somebody now, Oh, well, I don't know who it's going to be, but it's a player to me much we'll get back to you feel like that's even worse. What'd you trade him for? Well, an apple and a roadmap or a bullet and a cigarette. What'd you trading for, well, the seventh round pick in twenty thirty, you know what I'm saying. So I'm just wondering if and I mean this joking because I think Montero hopefully it'll he can get back to the reason he got the big money the year before he got the big money here, that he can get back to being that guy in Atlanta. That'd be great for him. Obviously with Dana's relationship there, I'm sure they had some banter over, but the player to be named later almost feels like we were giving you away. That's almost the way I feel. And in this case because they're taking on salary to correct, yes, they're given cash with my paying for part of it. So with that, that's exactly right. So basically that's what this is. The value. If the player to be a later ends up being an asset for you to use someone else's player, great, but it's almost as if you gave Montero way. And the truth of the matter is the return wasn't important. Getting clearing way for somebody else was and I and it started off with me joking around like Manna, you got traded for the player to be named later. That almost feels like there wasn't a lot of value placed on that one, was it? And in truth there's not. So hopefully it works out for him, root for anybody that goes on and is still competing, But it was probably it was probably time I got an idea here. It's kind of goofy, but stick with me. You're going to say something, goofy.
Speaker 8: That's a day that ends and why But what if the player kind of like masked singer style. We like dress them in like a huge you know, question mark and it's who could it be? Oh, I'd like that? Or like you know what's behind door number one, two or three? Was that prices?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Where you say, or let's make a deal, remember the doors behind the deals? Or like gladiators, right, maybe you don't have a clean path. Maybe it's gonna be a gladiator with the tackling pad. The player to be named later should be. It's like when you order clothing like I I'll order some golf clothing or shirts and they'll say, you get the mystery box. Oh, so you'll order something from like Grunk Dolfer, Great Clothing, like by the way, just you know, just I digress with Great and we're going there awesome stuff and you go in there and they say, oh, well you get a mystery box. So maybe it comes with a golf hat, another golf shirt or maybe a belt, right, they get your sizes, So the mystery I think that's what we should start. Whenever there's a player to be named later trade or you're not sure who the next guy is going to be, you got to put him in a thing and they got to choose like straws like we used to do who's hitting first? Or when you're playing ball, who do you get to pick? You get first, pick right, like we would do for the master's thing. You draw the short straw, so you go second.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: So if you get the big straw, so I think we put him behind, and you may discover something kind of like an expansion draft to put him behind, and say I want door number one, and if door number one happens to be a dog, well, then the dog becomes your mascot. That's who you're traded for. If it happens to be well, Ronald Lacuna is behind door number two or door number three, well god bless you, but you have to put a player a non player, and like cash or a dud gift in the third one. Right, I'll take the dog. I'm good with that, the dud gift, so put it behind so the player to be that. There, we had a little They want all the gimmicks and sports. Let's add that I'm trading for a player to be a named later. Cool. Well, here's how we do it. Whenever that is mentioned in the contract, you get a gag gift a player that's got to be. Let's say he's got to be a player that's making eight million or more and then you got to give up on your right. You can't protect him. And let now he comes back to your and he doesn't even know he's unprotected. He's just behind door number two and door number three is like a mascot animal that comes to your clubhouses. You pick one and whatever one you get, that's the player to be named later for the guy you gave up. It's just add another gimmick to pro sports. We've got plenty of them. It's another baseball movie, Major League two. I got you in the outfielder from the Giants, really not those Giants. Yeah, there you go, There you go. And we do need to discuss though that's part of this as we joke, but serious. It'd be kind of fun if we're gonna ad gimmick. Let's ad a trade gimmick to it. Did you see how the Denver Nuggets did Mike Malone? It's dirty. It goes back to player empowerment, the pascification of this stuff. What because he coaches you hard and says it's bs. They don't watch tape or anything, and people can't handle tough coaching, the general manager, the coach gone. And I know they've struggled down the stretch. I got news for you. They're still NBA capable, champion capable with the best player in the world on their team. Were getting rid of coaches. We get rid of coaches way too quick in this league. Mike Malone's a winner. It's a perfect case in point that player. What do we call player empowerment, as I said on Twitter yesterday, is just another phrase for player pussification. Is that you get to run the show. And a team that's winning, they're two years removed from an NBA championship victory with a ring on their finger, and the dude's out because a player or too might not like the way he calls him out because they don't study, or said some of them are full of you know what, And he said it because Mike Malone coaches tough. And here's the biggest problem in society. Don't let our kids fail and coaches. If a coach is tough, he's a bad guy. We can't have him around. If a coach is soft, well, he's perfect for us, but he's not making our kids or the citizens that are going to be the kids becomes to this, most of them an't going to sniff pro sports. We don't have enough of it, and when we do get one, people are so offended. In player powerment gets to run a guy out of the building. This is just deeper than wins and losses. It's either the player's pissed or the front office just said you've lost for in a row. I don't like the optics. You're out that somebody in social media got him riled up because they're losing. Mike Malone should have a job tomorrow as a coach. Tough loves a little too much for some to handle, and we have pussified all of it way too often and it exists. Now, when are we getting rid of a guy who's been a while harsh at times? And we've seen guys like this in the nineties eighties. Mike Malone would be a twenty million dollars a year coach. I'm talking about if you paid him like you Because those guys can handle it. I'm not saying the players can't. But we've created this empowerment where the second coach says, criticizes you. It's personal. Now you got to get him out or the front office. Horrible that the Denver Nuggers would do that. Nuggets would do that, not nuggers. That's what you get on the top of Is that a nugger when you get a nuggie? There you go. But the Denver Nuggets would it would be fitting if they were an early out fitting. It seems like they're trending there. It's just I can't believe that a guy who coaches hard and coaches tough his is run out just like that. Because of his personality of that, he's a little harsher on people.
Speaker 8: Especially after he said what he said about Mike Brown getting fired in Sacramento. No class, no, you know whats Yeah, And he the thing I love about him, he's our type of guy because he's gonna tell like it is.
Speaker 2: It may not always be what you want to hear, but it sure is what most need to hear. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, sometimes you need those people and you realize it later on in life. All right, Tommy, Andy Brandon, see you guys right there. The golf conversation will save for eight o'clock, but get into a little bit more of the astros. A couple of interesting points brought up by Sean I want to carry over the other side right here, Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 2: Hey wits Vision dot com, doctor Jeff wits At, wh I T S E T T my guy, whether it's great, specials work out your payment plan, but more importantly, you want it done right. Lasik's precious. Your eyes are precious. You would want somebody who treat your eyes the way he would treat his own or his own family. And doctor Witson's done that for me and he can for you. I'm really grateful to be a patient because I know I got the best care going in. I got the best care during which was about seven eight minutes on the table if that, and then two days later seeing better than I had for three decades, and then the follow up care. Yeah, that's what it's about. A guy you know, cared about you, that you were not a a stamp and move them on because it's just another LASIK procedure. So, whether it's eyecare or LASIK you're looking for, aren't you tired of glasses in contexts? Don't you want it done right by a guy who from me and a handful of my friends that could tell you the same thing, they should have done it sooner, pop on in and see my guy, doctor Jeff Witz. It's seven one three three six five nine seven nine nine for your free review. He'll walk you through it all and ease your anxiety. Seven one three three six five ninety seven nine nine. It's non invasive, and you got the best doctor on the planet, and we got him right here as our neighbor. It's doctor Jeff Witz at at wits it vision dot com wits a vision dot Com. The Seawan Salisbury Show continues all right.
Speaker 8: Seven one three two one two five seven ninety branded Good morning, buddy.
Speaker 2: We didn't get a chance to talk with you yesterday. How you doing doing?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I well, you didn't have time. It's all good.
Speaker 1: Well, we got time today.
Speaker 2: What do you got.
Speaker 3: I was I was saying for the astart the game last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you you liked what you saw?
Speaker 11: Huh?
Speaker 2: Pitching, hitting and.
Speaker 3: Diving catching or diving?
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, I do?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good? I mean are you encouraged by what you saw?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well good man.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, hopefully they can keep it going man and get back above five hundred and get this thing back on track.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean They're already in the playoffs, so these next three games don't necessarily matter, but you know, once you get into the playoffs, it all matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, buddy. Yeah, Sean's right here him. Yeah, good morning to him, Good morning to you, buddy. Yeah, I just want to give you your platform. You waited a long time yesterday, So you have at it. Man. Do you hear enough about you? We talk plenty in our four hours, So you have at it.
Speaker 3: Dan, Do you like dance?
Speaker 8: Do I The extra ending rule? I mean I don't mind it from it ends the game quicker. I don't necessarily worry about it too much. I mean I don't need to crush your pitching this early in the season.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it. It's a gimmick and I think it's weak. And they make enough money to be able to play a real extra inning baseball game that the rule needs to change. It's stupid. Yeah, there you go, after dark, There you go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was Astros after dark. I saw that with Blummer and TK. You're the man, Brandon. We'll talk to youmorrow. Okay, buddy, have a good day, all right, I see you, buddy. Was he listening to Naughty by Nature in the background. Did Triple you hear that I've heard? I thought I thought I heard that. I was like, Okay, who was it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: What cut was it? What's it here? She go, yeah there chilling. Oh yeah, I like it. Man, next up on the on the cut list.
Speaker 5: Uh what is it?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 2: You're down with opp? Yeah, Naughty by Nature too. Now Brandon comes on here and starts breaking down and singing you down with opp. He says, yeah, you know me, every last lady or every last homie any way, whatever verse he's on. If he comes on here and starts blowing Naughty by Nature that song and then starts singing it out loud, and it gets to that point the chorus, and he starts saying you down with Opp. Yeah, you know me, I'm Mike dropping and leaving the studio, and Brandon's the king. Well, I mean there you go, he get. Uh, Brandon's a real one. As I mentioned, Remember I said favorite Saint, Yeah, right, real ones. No, I mean, if you're if you're if you're rolling seven fifty five on a Tuesday Wednesday morning and it's OPP, you gotta get fired up for the day. Naughty by nature. Let's go. Yeah, that's the way it rolls.
Speaker 8: We know he gets his coffee in the morning. We we know that he he rolls with some naughty by nature in the background.
Speaker 12: I like it.
Speaker 13: I like it.
Speaker 2: You know, he might be an og He might be just might be.
Speaker 8: And you know, speaking of OG's, you're the one that taught me that. You know, U Vanilla Ice does say DJ but then when he gets to uh, dcha revolves.
Speaker 2: It's what you talk. And I've been questioning on it a million of times, and I say, listen to the whole cut, and it's dcha. It's is weaved in there, just like everybody talks about Sesame Street and calls him mister snuffle snuffaluffigous. It's not snuffleopogus. The ninety percent of the world pronounced it's snuffle up agus. It's a key, not l How do you how did you say it truthfully? Snuffalopagus. Yeah, no, it's snuffle upagus. Do hit the Google machine during the break say if I'm right or wrong. They call that the Nelson Mandela effect. Like you know, it's like certain things like, hey, that guy was in that movie. No he wasn't. Yes, he was wealthy.
Speaker 8: Useless knowledge is what I Oh, dude, I have an absolute, just fast wasteland of that in my brain. But if you all of a sudden get on one of these game shows and a'll a sadd they say the big bird's good friend, mister, and you have to choose, and you say snuffalufogus, you'll miss the money snuffle up against because the other two people that you're competing against will use the P.
Speaker 2: I will use the F. They'll say snuffalupogus. Snuffle up against wins you the prize.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, look, if Jeopardy were allowed for lifelines in one of the categories was sesame street peeps, well that but obscure movie lines, then you could call me as a lifeline because I'd be able to help you on right and if you need character names or the rest of it in the history, I'm here for you. Yeah, I'm going two thousand right off the bat and daily double.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 8: So take that Jeopardy, all right, Tommy and Andy, you see you guys. We'll get you guys involved in the eight o'clock out. I do want to get to that golf conversation because something I've been talking about for a long time. Somebody else agrees with me. We'll discuss that here Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 2: Hey, sort of pro sort of pro painters. Why don't you give your home or business a little upgrade, little fresh coat of paint heading into the spring? Sort of pro painters revitalize the interior and exterior. But don't just stop at the home. Make sure it's time, and also maybe refresh the paint at your business. Hey, it looks good. You walk in, people are excited. Boom, Maybe the business doubles or triples because of the presentation. Sort of pro paints residential and commercial properties. Listen, sports event. Excuse me, we talk about sports all the time and all the events. Well, what about sales events that are going on in the spring. Sort of pro has one from now until May fifteenth. Get ten percent off any any home projects that are twenty five hundred dollars or more. That's ten percent off each and every sort of pro stores individually owned and operated sertopro dot com for your free estimate and sort of with the c you know who it is, right, So, if you're gonna revit idolize your business. You want to vitalize your home, get some pop to it. And I'm as a customer first and now member of this family. They've been to my home and done it multiple times. I love the DIY. But when you can't DIY as good as they can do it, and the price is right, and you see the special ten percent off when you spend two hundred and fifty two thousand, five hundred dollars or more on your on that house in a spring special, it's probably wise to do it. You gotta tell May fifteenth, so jump all over it. I'm grateful to be a customer and part of this family. Sort of pro painters. That's sort of with the c serdapro dot com for that free estimate sort of pro painters. That's Painting Happy.
Speaker 4: KDM E Houston, ADHD two Houston.
Speaker 2: An iHeart radio station, home of the A and the Rocket produce.
Speaker 4: Sports Talk seven ninety Your Home for your home teams from the Parsons that match it, Next Studios.
Speaker 2: Sulspray, Oh Houston.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sewan Salisbury.
Speaker 3: To USC Troupe, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Dan Matthewscues. This is the Sewan Salisbury show to beat the Mariners two to one in Seattle. Rockets are entrenched in the two spots in the Western Conference after the Thunder beat the Lakers last night. They think they get the Clippers tonight out in LA and the Masters Round one fires up tomorrow, the par three today, our picks coming up Sean in about thirty minutes, and then Dana Brown an hour and a half from now here on the show. So we got all of that to look forward to feeling good about mine. I'm telling you, well, you're picking second, so you may not get you guys. You better have a beat a plan.
Speaker 2: B Oh, I trust me, I've got I've got the draft board. Okay, you you actually put up a draft board. You went like you're preparing for right.
Speaker 12: I like that.
Speaker 2: That's the way you should be if you want to win what a GMS?
Speaker 8: You know, like next week, I'm sure that we'll get Casario talking to draft What do they always say?
Speaker 2: Trust our board? Yeah? And uh, you want to make sure you don't have any the guys a reach. You don't want to hear that one reaches, no reach, no drafting. Sometimes you got to have that guy, Mike, we might win the tournament. Hey, you know, okay, he's not gonna win. Nick Cassario says, you know, we just want good football players. I just want good golfers. Yeah, that's a solid ball strikers.
Speaker 8: So solid ball strikers who can scramble out of trouble, do all those things. That's that's what we're looking forward. You better be able to put. That's it, especially here.
Speaker 2: Be able to put and can Rory mcklelroll get by the metal block that August is presented.
Speaker 8: I just don't hook it into Butler cabin again. And I think you're good or whatever those cabins were that he nted into.
Speaker 2: But if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. So that's what got to hit it straight.
Speaker 8: You got to avoid the Eisenhower pine, That's that's that's what you got to avoid. And the ponds right that exist on a golf course. Yeah, there you go, all of those uh triple e. Big Jay here says that he wants some Morgan wallin and he agrees with you. Let's let the gams play out a little bit. But I'm going to focus on the first part though. You know, I love you, Big Jay, but I learned a long time time ago that uh DJ's hate requests.
Speaker 2: You let DJs do their work.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: It's like Craig Robinson in the movie The Lot that he did with Jeremy Piven, that that was the whole thing with him, is that people. Hey, play a little Casey in the Sunshine Band. All right, it's coming right up. Don't tell me I do my job.
Speaker 2: Right there you go, there you go. But uh, patience is a good thing when it comes to young players and new players. That's it.
Speaker 8: We will see. Uh speaking of golf this week, Sean, let's get to the callers.
Speaker 5: Get to that.
Speaker 2: Let's get to them. They're more important than our golf talk right now. Right there you go, there you go. Let's go Tommy up in New York. Tommy, what's going on? Hey, guys, I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: I was almost about to hang up, you know, Uh lots unpacked, guys. Let me see you got the pea thing going on. You know, the uh swingers you know, would have been would have been okay if you had opp On during that stakeout the conversation, you know, down with opp I wanted to talk about trews.
Speaker 5: So you know, as Yankee fans.
Speaker 12: We've been through this recently with you know, us.
Speaker 14: Making poor decisions and you know trying to you know get you know, being spoiled with success and then having a grin and bear the you know the failures and things like that.
Speaker 12: So it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 14: You just got to go through those motions, the trials and tribulations. And Sean, I appreciate that analogy with fourteen sixty three because I've been green and bearing that thing for forever and it's it's just so agonizing.
Speaker 2: It sucks, blows make you want to move.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, oh I've considered it. We've considered moving because man, it's terrible. But you know, just grin and Barrett guys. I mean, you're gonna get through it as Astras fans.
Speaker 12: We go through it as I mean, every team goes through it.
Speaker 14: You just got a grin and Barrett man. But it's you know, getting back to the steakhout stuff. So I just went through, you know, a new hiring process.
Speaker 12: If that would have happened to me, I would have.
Speaker 14: Told told that guys that listen, take your pee, go to the Swinger's place.
Speaker 12: Ask you if they're into water sports.
Speaker 14: There you go take your next door and go out for forgiveness.
Speaker 2: The problem is that some feel somebody take you up on that, man, some kind of like that. I think, yeah, I think some like it. Some use it on their hands obviously to grip a bat too.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Moistis Yeah, great, great stuff, man. We appreciate you. Thank you, holding on man, Thanks buddy. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean a lot a lot happening in all of this. But uh, you know, look, you know everybody's got their own thing.
Speaker 2: Sean. I'm not here to judge you. I just don't have to do it. We know, we don't judge when it comes to your private life. That's it right, Just to just go repent if you need it. Life role on the side of the refrigerator, we got it for you. Andy wants to wait in here? Andy, what's going on?
Speaker 15: Let's talk two things we all talked about this morning.
Speaker 5: Hatter and hater or whatever.
Speaker 15: And uh, Dana Brown, Look, Dana Brown, if we're gonna give bagwell crap for bringing a bradw here after he his career was slowing down the years before he got here, and then same thing with when he signed gave Montario that big payday after he had that one good year compared to the three or four years in the last five years that he was not good at all. We got to do the same thing with Dana Brown because Patter, look, in twenty twenty he was had a three seventy nine ERA.
Speaker 12: In twenty twenty two he had a five to twenty two.
Speaker 15: ERA, and last year he had a three eighty e ER. He's the number two highest paid closer in the league.
Speaker 12: He can't do that now.
Speaker 15: Twenty one and twenty three he was at one twenty three and one eight ERA.
Speaker 12: He was lights out.
Speaker 2: But you don't pay him.
Speaker 5: You don't bring a guy in.
Speaker 15: Who every other year in the last five years he's produced. You don't pay him like the second highest paid player at the position for that kind of production. So for Haddner to for for the Hatter signing to be good, he has to do this three years in a row. He has to be lights out three years in a row from what he did last year. Now and then now look at look what look at our outfield now, Sean, I'm pretty sure you were hoping they were gonna grab an outfielder this year, right, and and there's no way that they thought camp Smith was going to make this team and be the starting right field.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When spring training started, I mean, you know, you want to see how good he is and say, oh, he'll start in Triple A and we'll see. And then he played so well and there was an opening out there because you didn't have a great outfield and put him in. And I think he's going to be a hell of a player. But there's no I've been begging for an outfielder for two straight years, an outfielder with pop, there's no doubt. Yeah, but the other team's got to be willing to play, and you got to be willing to pay as well. Yeah.
Speaker 15: And Myers, I mean, if Myers was the answer. Hell, his last two and six sixty games, his batting average was two twenty three, his OPS was six sixty in two hundred and sixty games. There's no way going into this season that you should have had him plug down at center field.
Speaker 12: There's no way.
Speaker 15: So David Brown has got some holes that he hasn't field, and.
Speaker 12: It's it's starting to show.
Speaker 15: And and and I don't know the split, but your color earlier said that Albarez hits better in the field well, they should have been grooming him to play first if they were outfold yet.
Speaker 8: Yet it's not gonna happen. Andy, It's not like if he's this far along in his career, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 12: Right Wait, come out, Come out.
Speaker 2: Where's al Tuba playing? Fine?
Speaker 8: But he's not playing first base. That's all I'm telling you. It's not going to happen. You have a guy there that's not moving off first base.
Speaker 15: Let field it's harder to play than first base.
Speaker 2: I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's he's out in left field.
Speaker 8: He plays a good enough left field when they play him, they play They play him at d H to preserve his legs.
Speaker 2: That's why they do it.
Speaker 15: Well, you don't think preserving your legs at first base first base you don't run.
Speaker 8: I don't need a first basement. I don't need a first baseman. I've got one for the next two years.
Speaker 5: I've got one.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you didn't have it before the year going.
Speaker 12: They should have started growing him.
Speaker 8: I don't worry about what I don't have when I have it right there. I don't worry about hypotheticals. Andy, appreciate the call. I mean he's not playing first base like it's it's if it's as clear as I could say it, and you know, not getting any more of those calls. Jordan Avarez will never play first base for the Houston Astros. Go ahead and get that out of the way. And it's a health thing for him, that preserving. But you're you're both right, he's never going to play first base. But I think Andy's point is, I don't think so much now that you've got Christian Walker. I think going into it the last couple of years, when it's been a position since he left, You're like, and even when Yuli was getting older, you needed to find the air apparent that he thought that maybe taking ground balls if you were going to play him in the field, and he wanted to play in the field and left field wasn't going to be the option because of his legs, you could still preserve him by putting him at first base. It's not gonna happen now, but this has been this is an age old conversation. Since Jordan's been league, we have this feeling that big guy don't want him any outfield DH first baseman. It got to the point where Poppy never played any place, but dh right, but maybe and Jordon's young enough. And you know, I get when Andy says, so you can both be right that he's not going to play first base. But I think Andy's point is, when you didn't have a first baseman, the natural progression you think for a big guy who you want to preserve his health but loves to play the field, would be first base. At this stage, that ship sailed, so you both can be right it ain't happening. But I get why thousands of people thought, well, why not try to play him there? If you can move Altuve to left field, you can move Jordan on to first base. But at this stage of the game, his legs are going to be more important. They would have gone out and found the first basement, which they did well. And to the point, you just brought up even more of a reason why you would have tried it last year because you didn't have a guy, because well, the one guy you sunk the money into he was nothing and you had to go with John Singleton over there. But thirty four saves last year for Josh Hater tied for fifth most in baseball, so not bad for having a down year. And this year he's been pretty unheittable, no doubt about it. All Right, the golf conversation a hangover, somebody says, we'll talk about that right here Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, let's scratch some dream vacations off our bucket list. You want to do it, I'll do it with you. Play three million dollar cash scratch tickets from the Texas Lottery and you could enter a chance to win a skycruise to Paris, Rome, Lisbon. I've never been to any of the three man. Maybe I got to jump in on this. That's right. If you read the if you're doing the commercial, can you win it? I guess you can, right, especially if you're going to tech you know, Texas Lottery dot com. But you could win that dream vacation via private jet to Europe with stops in Paris, Rome and Lisbon. Fellow's nice romantic trip for mama, right, Mama, nice girls trip, leave daddy at home. You can do that too. Either way. You could also win three million dollars in cash instantly. So play the three million dollar cash scratch tickets today and enter for a chance to win a European skycruise and possibly three million dollars cash instantly, It's Texas Lottery, that three million dollar cash scratch ticket. Texas Lottery dot com, Texas Lottery dot Com.
Speaker 8: The Shawn Salisbury Show continues to no now, you know, back out to the phone lines.
Speaker 2: Sheena and Sugarland, good morning, how you doing?
Speaker 13: Good morning Salas calling kind of in response to the last caller. I don't see how you can make the comparison of the Hater trade or the Hater acquisition.
Speaker 2: And let's get his name right, it's Hater with a bray.
Speaker 13: So Brady was already starting to fall off when we got him, and we were hoping that he'd make that climb back, but you know that didn't happen. Hater had had two lights out seasons and yes, he did not live up to those numbers last year, but we put him in a lot of non safe situations. We had a lot of times where we were asking him to go out and get more than three outs, things that he hadn't done as much before. And he's been strong again this season. So I, you know, I don't understand that uh frame of reference at all. Number two and this is something a lot of scouts will tell you. This is something Dana Brown will tell you. It is a lot easier to transition an infielder to an outfielder as opposed to the other way around. There are a lot of intricacies to learning the infield, just situationally. You know a first base, Am.
Speaker 2: I holding on the runner?
Speaker 11: Here?
Speaker 13: Am I not holding on the runner? Am I covering first base? Or am I am letting the second baseman go to his left and get this? Or am I feeling the ball? You know, there's a lot more to learn to it. And DH saves your.
Speaker 2: Legs more than playing period. So it's first base.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you're not running around the outfield, but you're still dhing is sitting on the bench. You're saving the legs. Christian Walker was a great acquisition and he's got a lot of the same characteristics as Jordon as far as a batter, he's got a great eye at the plate and he's got good power, even though the numbers haven't shown it. As far as his production this year, the number of hard hit balls is ridiculous, So he's going to be coming through. It's just got to give it a time because the hits and the swings are.
Speaker 2: There right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I appreciate the call, Sheena. I mean, you know Sean, as we were talking about in the last segment, I mean, if they had any desire whatsoever on either side, both Jordan and the team, then he would have been there. And I mean, you didn't have a first basement last year. You were trying to put that thing together with duct tape and bailing wire and eventually it led to John Singleton. But the other part of it as well, the point she brings up is incredibly valid. You're even hesitant to play him mountain left field. So if that's the case already, and you're already limiting the amount of time he's out there, why would you put more on his plate in terms of field work.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not. And like I said, I understand Andy's point. Sheena makes a very valid point as well about the adjustment from one to the other, and I get it. Listen, it all comes down to decisions, and it's not just Dana Brown's decision to preserve Jordon Alvarez. They were way ahead of that before Dana Brown even got here. He was going to play. Now he's probably gonna play less left field than they're used to. Hence Whay al Twovey's out there, but it's the short term, long term, pay me now, pay me later. The one thing that does start to bother you, though, is if a player decid I mean if it and he's listened Jordon Alvarez over his career. I don't know what the exact splits are, but it only when he's in left field hits well, we've seen it. But also he hits pretty damn well when he's just the DH. We've seen that too. But if Jordon came he said, I want to play every day in the field, now that's a battle, kind of like the Dever's horror thing. I'm a third basin, Well, no, you're a DH. I'm a third No, you're a DH. We got a gold Glover at third base, and now it's starting to where he's starting to rake. Bregman's raking and your best player's playing third base. And the truth of the matter is Jordon's a better left fielder than al tuove He really is, But six months from now, who knows. But if he came to you, then you'd have to make the decision. But I'm assuming he just, you know, a DH. I wouldn't judge the position or how he's sitting right now. By the fact that he's not playing the outfield, the ship probably has sailed. Now, who knows what if something were we God forbid, Altuve gets a hammy or is that, then you may see a little bit more of Jordan in left field.
Speaker 1: So it's a.
Speaker 2: Decision you have to make. It's just preservation.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: If the guy was a consistent in his career, couldn't hit his weight and with which for him was about two forty, so it's been an average player in baseball, but couldn't hit unless he played the outfield, then you would just have to do it, say hopefully it doesn't get hurt. If the splits were so blatantly different and I don't know what the exact numbers are, but my guess is from the optics of watching him, he said plenty of home runs, driven in plenty of runs, and hit plenty well as a DH as well. But if it came to the point where the splits were blatant, then you say, okay, there's something to this, is there. The bottom line is he likes to play the outfield, hits there too. But the guy does hit when he's a DH. So but the ship is said, unless some crazy ass injury situation hits you, and regardless of whether Andy wants it or you don't or what have you. They went out and got Christian Walker. They don't want Jordan to play first base. And I know sometimes we make first base seem easy. It's not an easy position, but of the infield, it feels like, okay, I almost feel it goes shortstop, third base, first base, second base, I feel like second base because you're rarely digging out balls that are in the dirt. First base is There's a lot of things that go to it. So in that order, regardless, it's still difficult. And until it's an absolute need, Jordon's going to play the field anywhere other than spot times, you're not getting one hundred and forty games out of the month. Well, and to your point about first baseman, we found that out after you didn't have Juligar yell around anymore. When he had a guy that was a gold Glover over there playing the caliber that he did, you were like, oh, yeah, the defensive part of it, this is important too.
Speaker 8: It's not just a guy that can put balls over the wall. So in fact, yeah, absolutely, let's go to the northwest side. John wants the way in here, John, what's going on?
Speaker 11: Hey Fellas, Fellas, good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 12: Hey man.
Speaker 11: Look you know my feeling is this right here?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 11: I've been watching baseball quite a long time, and I'm sure your callers have too. But hey man, I think this is like the seven eight game in the season for the Astros. I don't know what they have yet, and what I see I like the partitial I see. I like I'm loving Perellas and I'm loving welcome because they might not be starting off with a good season. But I'll tell you one thing. When they hit the ball, well, I see power as far as Avareds though. When the Astros brought Avareds up, they had he had as I remember, he had to have little surgery on his knees and stuff like that. Look at here, he scares me when he runs from first base or second base. D H is just fine. As I'm concerned. And Sean, the reason I called. Did I hear you mentioned earlier? You can't stand there, gimme crap after the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I've been saying it all along. I cannot stand putting a guy on second base. It's not real baseball. It's a gimmick. Yes, I despise it.
Speaker 11: You didn't earn it, man, Yeah, man, I can't stand that either.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 11: It cheap THEMS baseball. It cheapens the fans, you know, fans that pay for paint, the subscriptions for this and everything. And really, my personal feeling is the reason they did this because they don't want to paint any more television money. And you know, we didn't have that many games that went fourteen fifteen twenty won twenty two games that year when the Astros I think they went twenty three or twenty four. Uh, overtime, overtime anything.
Speaker 12: Hey, man, it was wonderful.
Speaker 11: I was at work, man, I'm watching this game and then I get off work at two o'clock and the.
Speaker 12: Game is still going on. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 11: And this is the deal. You don't have that many overtime games like that in baseball, man, that you know that that that was just so terrible. But hey, in all the sports now right, they cutting things here and there. You know they're saying, well, we know these fans are gonna get used to it, but.
Speaker 12: We still want their money.
Speaker 2: Every month.
Speaker 11: Let's go ahead on and cut some of this and save money. Man, Hey, y'all, have a good day, fellas.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this. I don't want to hear that it preserves injuries and all. I mean, you're safer when you're not playing the extra and it's it's a it's a crock.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 2: It started during COVID and we know and they just haven't gone back. They don't want the games, whether it's still, whether it's you know, gett into your local programming and your whatever. The reason is, the bottom line is these guys make enough money to play extra innings. They just do the right way. Now with a guy on second base, this isn't Little league. You know the force runners out. When you have a ghost runner on first base, it's it's a gimmick. And that's exactly what is the They make enough money and we got enough time, and we like baseball games. You need to earn second base. You shouldn't get it. I don't care what anybody says, it's not We don't have to change rules just to change them. And I'm willing to watch four or five six more innings, regardless of the sleep you lose. If you love watching the game. If it goes extra innings the right way, earn your earn second base. This is it's ridiculous, and it was a rule put in as a gimmick, and now they're going to keep it and it's silly. It's just frigging silly. It's not real baseball. Well we can agree that Augustin nastional this week is not a gimmick. Rights it ever is If you go in with a gimmick, you're gonna get your ass handed.
Speaker 8: Say, if you try that, or even if you try it as a patron, they'll throw you right out.
Speaker 2: All right. Draft time coming up next right here, Sean Salisbury show doctor Jeff witz It at witst vision dot com. Wh I T S e T T the very best in the business. Talk to those who've gone to the Lasik procedure like me or that get eyecare from doctor Whitst. When you're talking about your eyes, pretty damn precious, right, so you might want to maximize that and go visit with people. Will tell you what I'll tell you. There's nobody better. He is attention to detail. He'll treat your eyes like he'd treat his own families. Or his own eyes, and he'll walk you through all the steps of Lasik and the post I care. It's non invasive. I wasn't on the table ten minutes and seeing better than I had since the prime of my vision. So for me, there's nobody better. It's doctor Jeff witze It at wits it Vision dot Com again w H I T S E T T. When you're looking for your eyes and they are precious, you want an expert, right. You don't want to leave anything to chance, and you won't chance anything but success with doctor Jeff witze It. It's witsit Vision dot Com. Wits It Vision dot Com. That's wits it Vision dot Com. I don't live there for the Shawn Salisbury Show continues Sean.
Speaker 8: It is that time and a good pull by Triple E right there to go with a Georgia artist in Alan Jackson, because well it's a tradition unlike any other. It is going to tee off tomorrow morning. We'll have it on here in the studio as it is Master's time at Augusta and the timing couldn't have been more perfect right there from Triple E.
Speaker 2: Great theme song. It is no every single every single time. This time of year.
Speaker 8: You hear this song, You're like, oh, yep, the couch it's gonna go ahead. It might as well have a seat belt on it, because I'm not moving for the next few hours. Yeah, hello friends, there you go. It's hello friends, welcoming us to Butler Cabin. The drive, the drive down Magnolia Lane.
Speaker 2: First page of the leader board. Scottie Scheffler at the top, Fred Couples, my former University Houston teammate, quickly to Verne Lundquist at sixteen. Now Frank Nabolo. Yep, no, Vern Lunquist did his last one last year. The great voice of yes, Sir Vern Lundquist. All right, draft time. That's it. Five people total score. If you don't make the cut any you know, if two of your players don't make the cut, then if they were plus five plus five and then two days, then that's ten strokes added to your score. So tiebreaker, tiebreaker. We usually have a sixth player, which we can do if you want a tie breaker. I would imagine with five and five we won't need one, but we can decide at the end of our picks. I'll start Scotty Scheffler, two time winner, has not been playing well there, you're My biggest concern with Scheffler is, for the first time since he's been dominating the last two or three years, I see more emotion on him and frustration on the golf course. Normally it's just yet he still can overcome it. The guy's brilliant. He's starting to put better. The last couple of weeks. He's ramped his game up. He was really good here in Houston. Give me Scotty Scheffler, the fact that he knows this golf course and he hits it where he wants to as long as the frustration stays out. Give me Scheffler at first.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean two time winner there is the course. Well, I'm gonna go with a live guy. I'm gonna go with Bryson.
Speaker 2: Okay, to Shambo. I'm going to go to Shambo. Yeah. I talk to a guy who's played in the tournament yesterday for for about forty five minutes, and he likes Bryson too long. Can bring it to your knees, but gonna have to putt. But that guy and I love his personality the way Deshambo's kind of one over fans and stuff lately. Give me a Ludwig Obert Okay. Second, because I I think he's got the prettiest swing in golf, and I think he's ready for another big breakthrough. He's won this year, and I fully expect him to win many more. First major, could possibly eighteen to one. I like, I like his ability as a young guy to kind of smile it off. I think that I think that he's going to be in the hut. Yeah, you mentioned Scotti Scheffler. Former champions. Former champions usually do well, and this guy is one of those, and he's won this year on the tour. I'm gonna go ahead, Decki Matziama, Matziyama, Okay, I'll get you. Are you right? You got? You's already really right? Yeah, you know. I'm trying to go long shots and see if I can mix that in. I don't think Xanderschoffley has played very well this year in my opinion, considering what we have. But he's always capable. And then you got the Shane Lowry's who put it well. I'm gonna hang up there and say that Colin Morikawa hangs around, always good short game and can drive the golf ball. Give me him and he's won majors before a couple of them. I like him.
Speaker 8: I'm going to go with another star of the TGL. I'm gonna go with the star of the TGL min woo Lee.
Speaker 2: You're going minwou uh min woo.
Speaker 8: Lee winner here at the text Children's you snopen solid ball striker very much, solid ball unfollow on social media too, no doubt. Then you go down to like the Jason Days and Wyndham Clark's. Is Dustin Johnson into it enough?
Speaker 2: Justin Rose always hangs around in these give me you know, we've gone through all this and none of us have picked the guy who's playing right now. He'd be the PGA Tour Player of the Year in twenty twenty five would be ry malroy one Cable Beach one at what the players, Yes, he did in an extra in extra holes the next day, I got to think that with the fourth pick of this and Rory is still sitting there, I don't He's had some miserable times here at Augusta, and this has been in his crawl and in his mental and I do believe that he's got a psychologist sports psychologist with him this week here. I do I think at Augusta, or at least was there early. I don't know if it's Bob Rotella, doctor Bob Rotella. Maybe it is, who's a famed sports psychologist. But Rory's got to get over the mental block of this golf course. But I'm going to take him with a fourth pick in this draft. How can you not take him. He's the player of the year so far this year. Give me, give me macalrol O. Paralysis by analysis.
Speaker 8: Man. You know, if you truly passed it, you're truly passed it. So but still a good, solid pick by you. I'm gonna go with your Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. You like that always that they're in the fantasy drafts. You be a good pick. I appreciate it. Well, that's why I picked him. Yeah, it's a steal at the fourth pick. I know one thing, he'll make the cut. He slid down, he slid down the draft boards. I'm gonna go with Russell Henley. Solid player, Yes he is, he's playing. I'm playing well this year.
Speaker 2: You know, at some point in time, you're going to look down here and somebody like Tony feenaur A, Kegan Bradley, Brian Harmon won last week. You know, like I said Wyndham Clark, They're gonna rear their head. But I feel like I'm top heavy with my picks with odds this year. John Rahm's been a winner here. How's he going to play? He's long. I'm struggling between Ram and Kepka. I like to call him Brooksy. I just think that that if you've won here, the familiarity and when you're long, h I don't like to leave Brooks Kopka and his grind out of majors because the guy does everything for this and John Ram and then you start to look at the way Victor Howlin started to shape up his game. Give me John Ram because he's one here. I'm not real comfortable with a pick, but the fact that he's one here and live golfers have given some, you know, given the PGA guys the thing to think about. Give me wrong here because he's long, and if his putter's work and he can bring the course to his knees like the shamble, because he can he can drive the ball where guys are hitting five iron and he's hitting a flip wedge in or an eight iron in. Should I say, yeah, I'll take wrong. I'm anxious to see who manages the course. Well, we've got a putt and and uh, you know that's why a guy in truth, the guys who right now the best putters in the world. Give me somebody who can keep it in a three foot circle, which is hard to do there, but long players are hitting different clubs into it. I'm gonna go John rom.
Speaker 8: Now, even though he hasn't been much of a winner, he is a guy that is a perennial top ten guy, and strategy does matter here. I'll go with Tony Now on my team.
Speaker 2: Okay, and Tony Now boy can and he can drive it a long way. The question is can he stand over putts and make them in majors? That's that's what he's gonna be faced with. All right, overtime pick in case there's a tie. Now, if your guy doesn't make the cut as a tieth, then your host, right, yeah, all right, so give me Victor Hovelin. Is my sudden depth tiebreaker, Going Victor Hovelin. I'm gonna go Stepstraca played great this year. He has played great, really good putter, and he is hitting the ball exactly where he wants to hit it somebody like back Tier or somebody's gonna come through this way. I'm just telling you and be close. But I like that pick. Matter of fact, I think that's a damn good pick because he has hit it as close and as good as anybody as far as consistence he goes. He's on a front page of Leaderboard every week. Should be good. All right, So.
Speaker 8: Liking my picks, you're liking yours, and we're going to of course love the tradition unlike any other that masters can't wait.
Speaker 2: That's it. But one guy not gonna be part of the field this week. That's a problem.
Speaker 8: We can talk about that a little bit before we get into the nine o'clock hour. Forty five minutes from now. Dana Brown going to join us here on the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: We want to win.
Speaker 2: Sean Salisbury continues on seven ninety.
Speaker 8: But is there a Tiger Woods hangover in the game as a whole? Because twenty nineteen will never be replicated as long as I'm alive. Like that final round was amazing where it was? Could he finally do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Were talking about his comeback? Yeah, his comeback? I mean just the television alone of could he do it?
Speaker 5: And then what was it?
Speaker 8: Mullinari put a couple in the water and you're like, oh my god, he's got the lead now, like this could actually happen. Then he finally taps it in wins the tournament, and it was you know what, for one more day, you know, we got the sun back in the sky for one more day with this guy of being able to be that guy again.
Speaker 2: So your question is do I think I need somebody like that or what's the point.
Speaker 8: Well, it's that the game just doesn't have him as what he was, And Brandal Shambley brought that up on the four Play podcast the Barschool Barstool Golf podcast. Everything he did was so exciting. He made the job easy. Here's your story tonight, here's a breakdown. You just show him chipping, you get a great rating. You realize he's sort of shuffled the competition coil every weekend in week outs. Not knock on the current group of players, it's just that we're all having a Tiger Woods hangover.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't even know if it's a hangover. I think it's you'd like more of it because you want the fire of him walking down the fairway and not talking to his opponent, the gamesmanship that went with it, the bury him while he's got a chance to do it at the greatest golf venue on the planet. When it comes to tournament play. We love guys that not only can be the here. We love comeback stories, We love great golfers. We want the guy that dominates so everybody else has to chase. We want Phil and Tiger to be in, you know, competition with each other with everything they do. We're looking for it. We don't have it right now. We got Scotti, Scheffler and Roy McElroy, but it's not really a head to head battle on a regular basis like we created the Tiger Woods created and that Jack and Arnie. We were missing that. We got good players, but where's the star powers. I think what people a talking about Scheffler no disrespect to a great players boring and that's okay. His game's not boring. He's phenomenal. Mechanics are weird, feet or moving everywhere, and the guy hits it exactly where he freakin wants to, and I love the guy, but there's there's some miss and then you know, some of these guys that we only see in four times a year because they're on the Lift Tour still bring Bryson d Schambeau. Quite frankly, he went from a guy that was a heel because people didn't thought he was overly arrogant and swinging too hard, wins a major and told you he was going to just bring the course to its knees basically by hitting it farther than everybody else. And he did end one and then going to you know, I don't. I don't blame a guy from going getting three hundred to four hundred million. Hell, who wouldn't. The reason why the top guys don't go to live is because they're making money. But if you're one hundred and twenty fifth player on tour, got to work to be to be inside that number so you can get your card the next year. I get why somebody wants to go and get their forty five million guaranteed okay, to set up their family. That neither here nor there. We don't have the weekly oh my gosh, we probably have over the last two years, what twenty new winners. While we love the story of a guy getting his first win and struggling through it and kissing his newborn baby with his wife. We still love. Oh there's Tiger Woods dominance again. We want a villain and we want a hero, and then we'd love them to be pitted against each other. And that's just what we got. Great golfers, I mean, phenomenal players can hit it everywhere. The problem is that while we got the dominant Scottie Scheffler and Rory mclurry, the biggest story for this week without Tiger Woods would be if Rory McElroy wins the tournament, or is battling a live guy and Roy's outspoken and he and Dschambeau, or he and John Rahm, or he and Dot Victor Hovel, Are he and somebody who's a you know, a live golfer. It's McElroy and whoever else we want the Is he gonna choke? Is he gonna go Greg Norman? Is he gonna go Rory McElroy and at golf course? Or is he gonna do what Rory's done this year and bury the field and go win his third tournament and be on his way to a seven victory nineteen or twenty twenty five. But the biggest draw this week and it may not even be Scheffler and McElroy, although for star power standing on number twelve if they were playing in the last group on Sunday. Now we're onto something because it's star power, even though Rory's not from the United States, but he's he's been on a tour like eight million years and he's not even thirty seven years old yet. And then Scheffler, who's calm, has won it before. We'd love the competition, but in truth we want the hatred part of the conversation. Who doesn't want Rory at twelve with d Chambeau and him locked in hell on Saturday, you can push Chevy, but I know we play two man groups on the final day of the Masters. Who doesn't want Rory versus a d Chambeau who doesn't want Rory versus somebody else who's an outspoken guy and his plays on the live tour of Court, Dustin Johnson, even though people think he's boring too. He just hits the long way and damn good player and he's won there. So that's what the Tiger woulds affect. That's the problem we don't have. Tiger was the villain at times because everybody thinks he owed them an apology to them for the moral things that he went through. He didn't know any of an apology other than his wife and whoever else he felt. He didn't know me an apology. I didn't look to him to be my marriage counselor anyway. So there's that. But he's also the hero of the villain and all the comebacks.
Speaker 12: We love it.
Speaker 2: So since he's not there, what's the next biggest story repeat by Sheffeld. But even bigger is Rory McElroy's lack of ability to close there and outspoken, and nothing better would serve them to say, Oh, we're on the twelfth and he and a live golfer are head to head playing and they're not talking very much on the golf course and Rory's and now here are the demons that he's had to deal with. Can he do it today? And if he doesn't, the ratings will go through the roof, or if he does. But that's what we're craving. We're not craving, I hate to say it, You're not craving Victor Hovlin playing Rory mackel or. Victor Hovlin and Tony Fenow we love them both now but one with a two stroke lead going into sixteen, and we're like, great, we love the villain, we love the hero, and the only way to get that is by the villain part of one from the different tour at Augusta because they've lived tour. Guy's pretty good and they've won majors. And then you got the other side where a guy who hasn't won there that we think right now is the best golfer on the PGA Tour with the way he's playing this year.
Speaker 8: I mean, the storylines do matter, but it's also too. I mean, Tiger created the storyline because he transformed the sport. He got athletes to start playing the game. He got players on tour who said, hey, you know what, if that guy's this good, I need to start looking like him. I need to be in better shape, I need to start lifting weights, I need to actually look like an athlete out here. But not to be underscored by the fact of oh, yeah, hey, that guy's just got a ton of God given talent, and yes he does that. But I mean the way that players dress on tour. I mean the guy getting his own clothing line, all of these different types of things.
Speaker 2: Those are things the game didn't happen. And what it goes with tiger Io is you're never gonna see talent is obvious when he won him back in nineteen. More grit than talent. I mean, he can barely walk at times. I mean, and there's nobody ever on the golf tour that's going to overcome this many obstacles, some self inflicted by him, whether it's injury, whether it's achilles, whether it's leg almost being taken, whether it's what happened with the off the field stuff, with the why, all those things, and he just keeps coming back another life. But that life's not just created by talent. It's back in there saying. And he will play another PGA Tour event, I assure you, because of his grind. I don't know if he'll win one, but he will play in one again. And that's just who he is. You're never going to see it again. Why you may see guys win a lot, and you're never gonna see it again because very few people have the grit and wanting. Most would have said, you know what, I'm done, I almost lost a leg, this is a second another Achilles, all these things that go with it, you're not seeing that again. Maybe from him, he'll compete and make the cut there again, but you're not going to see another player go through. Most would just say I don't have the grit to deal with all the and then all the way social media beat down on him, and he just kept staying the course, stay in the course and wins again. You're not going to see a comeback like he gave you in twenty nineteen. Nobody's doing that. You'll have guys that win, but nobody's going to do it in the journey that Tiger Woods took, no.
Speaker 8: Doubt about it. It was almost like Jack in eighty six. That's a dated reference right there, but just look it up for the kids out there.
Speaker 2: Jack was form more age than yeah, No one say forty seven things of adversity and making the Yeah. His was like forty six year olds can't win here well, and Fred Couples did a pretty good job of winning there as he was a little older too, and keeping the ball up on number twelve. I love it, but we liked the hero in the villain and at different times Tiger Woods has played both and that's not a bad thing for PGA Tour Golf McElroy would be the story this week. Oh, I always wore Sunday red. I was always ready. I always wanted to see.
Speaker 5: Him roar it out.
Speaker 2: The other thing, even when you're mad at him, you wanted to see him win. Damn right. Yeah, twenty nineteen was awesome, all right?
Speaker 8: Coming up next Beckett back in the the Astros conversation, because well, these guys, they're the ones absolutely stepping up. We'll talk about them also, Dana Brown coming up in about thirty minutes. Right here, Sewn Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: Kb E Houston ADHD two Houston, an iHeart radio station, The Astros Rockets, Rockets your home for your home teams. This is Sports Talk seven ninety from the Parsons that.
Speaker 2: Match Next Studios Salbury, Olby, Salisbury, Houston.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 4: Sean Salisburysbury to usc true longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury, Dan Matthewscues. This is the Sewan Salisbury Show.
Speaker 8: Ten o'clock, The Matt Thomas Show with Ross Today. It's a mashup of Matt or excuse me, Ross and Adam Lexler of the A Team. They're going to be out at Big City Wings the Marquee location giving away two four packs of Astros dugout tickets. So get over there, get you some good lunch, and also have a chance to go see the Astros from some good seats. They win last night two to one, twelve innings against the Mariners there in Seattle. They'll close out series today. Rocket's going to take on the Clippers tonight. So that is what we have speaking of the Astros Sean, I mean, we talked about this a little bit earlier on this show. Wanted to bring the conversation back of the pitching being exactly what Dana Brown has told us this group could be. And last year we were pleasantly surprised by guys like Taylor Scott's Renel Blanco, both of those guys struggling a little bit in the early going. But while they have their struggles, you get guys like Ryan Gusto. Hey, by the way, you got a runner on second, nobody out and it's a tie ball game. A little bleeder gets through, this game's over. You have Ryan Gusto coming in last night saying, you know what I'm up for this, I'll get some guys out, and he's able to wiggle out of the trouble with a flyout and then a double play to be able to end the inning. Steven Okert another guy that whenever you've called his name and he's come jogging out of the bullpen, he stepped up and he's absolutely done.
Speaker 2: Wonders for this team. Yeah, they I love it when it's not just earning the respect of the manager and the general manager and the trust, it's the players they know and to be able to do in there and close it out in these situations or add an inning, give a quality inning, or you know, get your business done at the back end of the bullpen, or give you six innings at the front. But the two names you mentioned, you know, Okert and Gusto doing their gig. And while I understand that they're trying to gain everybody's trust and do it and win, I can't begin to tell you how much it means. I would imagine if you take them aside and say, what's the most important thing about getting you to the next game and the next level, And aside from doing your job, the impact, the impact they're trying to make is making sure that the manager of pitching, coach and their players trust them. Every time you run them out there, and going back to your point about Scott that you're like, man, when are you going to give somebody else to try? You're basically done with him in that role right now. But it's easy now imagine if you needed him later on and you decided that you would push him down and not give him the seventh or give him the belief in a high leverage situation that a spot puts him in. That if you decided this early eleven games in the season to move down, and then two months from now you need him in a high leverage, pressure situation, there is a method to it. And winning that trust over from not only a manager but the guys who are in the field and trust you is far more important than our opinion of it, I assure you, but those guys, but you also have to perform, as all the talk and history and back of a card and all that means nothing at that moment. And at that moment right now, the pitching staff is doing what they've done quite frankly for the last one year and a half to two years counting not counting this year yet, but counting this year. For their success is they've been the staple and the backbone this team and two new guys, two more guys that are adding to it and been really really good coming out of spring training and giving you what you need at least eleven games into the season.
Speaker 8: To your point, though, about Taylor Scott, why is it fair to him? Why is it fair to you to continue to put him in that spot if he's not performing in it right now? Why a soft landing spot to be able to build back up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And why? Okay, so, but you are how many how many appearances does he have this year? You're judging his whole body of work last year and coming into the season loving him. We are eleven games in and you're saying, what would you say, why is it fair? I'm not worried about fair. I'm not worried about that, Gusto or anybody else's opinion on fair or yours or mine. When it comes out there, the I always I always defer to the guys that are around and seeing it all the time, and it is a I don't think they're looking on the short term. I think you're saying, Okay, he's going to be necessary for us. What's more important right now? They won the game, he hasn't been the Scott that you've counted on yet eleven games in and a handful of appearances. However, many innings he's got I'm sure you have in front of you. But looking ahead, is it smart to say the guy's no good for us? And then all of a sudden, But what confidence are you gaining in a not? Like I said, there's a difference between good reps and reps you don't need. You just don't need reps. You need quality reps, and I don't know how to get I don't know how to get high leverage reps in the third inning or the fourth inning. I don't now every rep matters if it's working towards bettering you. But all reps aren't good reps, and all pressure reps the fourth inning aim as much pressure as the seventh inning. So now you got hell, if you're getting your ass kicked, you need somebody to shut him down for three outs and then okay, that built the confidence, and sure, but what it would tell me if I was in a spot eleven games in and I'm already demoted. Not that I'm worried about his overall psyche, but as a relief, we better worry about it because I'm not in the field good business. I'm in the production business. But eleven games in, are we really there yet? Where it's like anah, well, well, you know it's not fair to have him coming in there, not fair to who. I don't care about fair. I care about if they believe in him, and the collateral damage it does if you need him later. The only way I know how to perform under pressure is being pressure. You can't simulate it in the bullpen, and he's sure as hell can't simulate it in the third inning when the score zero zero and there's nobody on and you're going through it. You walk off saying great, But when am I getting back to where they trust me? I don't think the trust factor should be diminished Eleven games into a season.
Speaker 8: Now, And I mean that might be a little bit strong to say completely take him out of the spot. Sure, but five games this year eight ten, e three and a third innings, so he had a rough spring. It's carried over into the season. I get working your way out of it. But then, also too Sean to your point, I mean, was that say to a guy like Brian King who comes in in absolutely shoves Steven Okert.
Speaker 2: It tells me that whatever role they're in, keep doing your thing. The seventh inning isn't the catch all for star players and relievers. I know it's leading to a bray you and leading to hater, but you got to take your role. If you're the fifth inning or long relief guy, then you deal with it. And in case c see, you're in the business of making sure those guys what's fair to them, what's fair as they're on the roster. And if you're pitching in the fourth inning because we've had a three and a third performance by a starting pitcher, get them out. That's his job. You don't get rewarded eleven games in just because bam, you know what you deserve it well, thirty five games in if he's earned it and the production's not there from anybody else, and got to have that guy in the cent it'll work itself out. Either a performance is going to keep you there or it's gonna find you. It's gonna find somebody else. The glove will be on the mound if you don't perform. So I'm not in the man. What if the other guy's feelings are hurt, If you're the fourth inning guy or long relief guy, deal with it, and you want to be the seventh inning guy? Keep getting people out in the fifth inning? What if okay, because of a short body of work by that standard. And you mentioned you're concerned about Yiner does Yiner das now get set down to he should? Should he eleven games in after all last year be the backup catcher? Now then why are we then? Why is Taylor Scott being moved out of the seventh because of five three innings of appearance? After all? That a struggle in spring training? But according to people out there, I hear it's just spring training. Why I always say the emphasis is on spre It does matter. So are we there three weeks from now? Dude, now it's time to move? But are we really after three innings? Singing?
Speaker 11: And man?
Speaker 2: We got it? Demoting And I'm not worried about King or anybody else's feelings about they deserve to be the seventh. You keep doing what you do in the fifth and it may it may rear its head.
Speaker 8: Well, it's not even just about you know, demoting and promoting guys and what's fair to them, But it's about to your point of roles that they've been asked to fulfill, they've done it. I mean, that's a tough place to put Ryan gust So even as well as he's pitched in the early going last night and Sean, what does he do?
Speaker 2: He came through. Okay, what if Gusto you moved into the year, you'd make him the seventh inning guy. And I'm not I'm not blaming him. I'm blaming the guys for getting one run. That's who I'm okay, Well let me okay then, but if he's the seventh inning guy, let let's just say you think he's a boom put him in there, and he has three straight outings were three innings and a third where he blew a lead or didn't do what he wanted, didn't didn't preserve getting to the eighth inning guy and Brian Brady, then what are you want to move him out? Already?
Speaker 8: Then it works itself out and you have to go with somebody else that you trust to get those outs.
Speaker 2: It's three innings enough. Probably you need a little bit more of a sample size, and to your sample size, bigger Gusto sample size or Scott sam I'm not saying gust is not gonna be a star right now. If you're talking about I'm just as so I'm questioning if we're willing to make these decisions after three innings for a guy after what he did last year, then I'd suggest that we probably don't understand the grind, you and I. But if you're telling me Gusto has earned at eleven games in so he can unearn it in three innings if he goes in there and blows two blows, two opportunities to keep them in the lead. Correct, So you'd want to move him out? How do we establish roles defined if we're making decisions based on twenty at bats or three innings? So we why if you're talking about feelings, why don't we are we rewarding Scott for all the stuff he was able to pull through last year and keep a team together at times and in the bullpen and do everything was asked? And we're if you're talking about what's fair? Is it fair to run away on him at three innings into a season? It doesn't mean if you take it away that it can't be we earned re earned, Okay, So how are you going to earn poisoner? How you're going to earn the seventh inning spot if your manager says, we can't put you in high livered situation. We saw after body work, body work, body work, they quit put Montero in those situations. But it happened. There wasn't three innings worth. Hell, I gave him three years worth of it. So and I'm not listening. I'm not an apologist for Scott at all. My point is is that I can't eleven games into the season judge anybody's performance over the long hault. Now, if it continues, then you're gonna have to say, listen, what's going on? Is it mechanical? You got to start to look into it. But I'm not willing to bury a guy's belief in himself for the team's belief in him three and a third innings into his twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 8: Fair enough, Phadrian wants to weigh in will get you into the fold. But also to a position player that I'm kind of really perplexed by how he's being treated right now, we'll talk about that here on the other side. Shawn Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 2: Doctor Jeff witz It at Wits at Vision dot Com, wh I T S E T T the very best in the business. Talk to those who've gone to the Lacy procedure like me, or that get eye care from doctor Whitst. When you're talking about your eyes pretty damn precious, right, so you might want to maximize that and go visit with people will tell you what I'll tell you. There's nobody better. He is attention to detail. He'll treat your eyes like he'd treat his own families or his own eyes, and he'll walk you through all the steps of LASIK and the post I care. It's non invasive. I wasn't on the table ten minutes and seeing better than I had since the prime of my vision. So for me, there's nobody better. It's doctor Jeff Witzeit at Witstvision dot com. Again wh I T S E T T. When you're looking for your eyes and they are precious, you want an expert, right. You don't want to leave anything to chance, and you won't chance anything but success with doctor Jeff witze It. It's Witsitvision dot Com. Witsitvision dot Com. That's wits It Vision dot com.
Speaker 4: Let the celebration start or Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 8: Ninety a late inning at triple to give the Astros a one nothing lead there in the top of the seventh, but comes through their huge spots against one of the Mariner's high leverage guys able to give the ash a chance to be able to win the game, which eventually they did. But still it really was something later in the game that I was like, wait a minute, what are we doing here? The guy was your offense so far to this point, and it was either the tenth or the ninth inning is when his spot was up in the order and Joe Spot had decided to go with Victor Carrottini ended up working out because Karattini, oddly enough, was the guy that ended up being the game winning run with his RBI single. But at the time when it happened, Sean I was like, you're wanting this young guy to learn. You're wanting this young guy to fail and succeed in different spots, and that's a spot right there where you say, nah, moment's too big for you. I can't have you out there right now. I just again it goes back to we're gonna play him every day. He's gonna be up here he's gonna play, doesn't play the last couple of games.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 8: Working on some stuff. Sure, fine, But I mean to the point you brought up when we were talking about the pitching, don't you have to let these guys fail, Like, don't you have to let let them go through those situations to know, Hey, these happened in this league too.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're talking about Cam Smith, yeah, there's I He's going to play every day, one hundred and fifty games. He's here for a reason. He's getting for at bats a day, and he's going to play through the tough times because getting hit in the mouth is the best growth in the world. Now you're telling me this about about Cam Smith, why aren't you telling me this about Taylor Scott. You just said you want to let him grow and go through punches in the face and put him in pressure situations, high leverage at bats, and now eleven games in three innings in you're ready to move Taylor Scott out of the seventh inning stretch, says seventh inning role. So why because I found that what applied to book, Because Scott's been in the league a little longer. I mean, that's part of it.
Speaker 8: But I mean, I think it's also that Scott is a guy that I feel like you probably got better production than what really is his.
Speaker 2: So you think he overachieved, Yes, yes, okay, I do.
Speaker 1: I do so.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, why would you have him in that role in the first place? If you think it's over achieving it and and eventually that's the enership is going to sail because because he earn those innings, all right, So but but he but three innings in, He's he's played his way out of it.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying completely played his way out of it, but I'm also saying that there are other guys that have been put in the positions and have come through in those spots. I mean, Stephen Okre is a guy for example, you just have Monday Night happen, And I get it.
Speaker 2: There's right here here a while. You got a heart on for for for Steven Oker, right because when the guy comes out there, what does he do? He strikes performs. But if he were to struggle for three games or three innings, you want to move him on. I mean, I get your point. I know you're getting at here, don't Yeah, don't you think it's some more knee jerk right now than oh, this is who the guy is.
Speaker 8: I just know that this is a time of the year when, as Joe Aspot has said, we don't want to have this start that we had last year. And I feel like if you're going with.
Speaker 2: Somebody that you know they five and six eleven games in right much better than they were last year. Sure, So I mean that's nice.
Speaker 8: And you're also getting much better pitching than you had last year, either through injury or necessity whatever it was that you had to completely just gas those guys year.
Speaker 2: It took the best thing they had last year.
Speaker 8: It was the best thing they had last year, and they won the West because the pitching probably overperformed, so probably it did.
Speaker 2: So to get to your point, absolutely, but guys, when other guys are hurt, that's the job of why guys get paid and get a paycheck every two weeks. Then when people get hurt, and that's the job of a department, a scouting department, and a talent evaluators and of Dana Brown and Joe spot A two in the minor leagues. Two make sure that you are developing them. But when they're presented with an opportunity as a backup. You're looking for production, and you got it from a pitching staff that was banged up an injury after injury and came in like Scott did last year and do his thing like other guys have done two years when JP Frantz did his thing. Look at Renel Bloe last year. Guys that you didn't expect to do what they did at some point during the season actually loaded him on their back and got him through some difficult times. And so if we're talking about guys who've earned it, the body of work from Scott last year has earned more than three innings of our belief. Now, if it starts to go haywire, you don't want I'm not sitting there willing to sit on a guy's look for a long time and say failure after failure after failure. I don't think we're there yet. But getting back to your original conversation about Cam Smith, if he's here, I want him to play every day. I don't need him to play every third day. I actually, but I'm not Dane Brown and I'm not Joe Spata who's making the decisions. And if you feel it's he's in over his head, which I don't think he is, but they're smarter than I am. Then you got to get him every day at bats. But if you think he's mature enough to handle and good to continue to progress by playing every second or third day, then you do it. My belief would he'll eventually impress daily if you let him get more at bats early. That's just my I think you got to see pitches from live major league pitchers, the ones that can dominate you. That's how I feel. But I'm not making these decisions until I guess maybe they see three or four games. But you got to put him in there and let him fail or let him succeed before we know what we got, and I think we know there's potential. But you want the other P word, which is production. The question is can you get the production you want playing him every other or every third day. No, you can't, and I don't think you can. But then again, they've done a lot. One thing Joe Spotom wanted this year, it told me straight to our face, is not to have too many lineup changes. They had what one hundred and forty four games or something last year with different lineups out of a buck sixty two. That's that's quite frankly ridiculous. You want to get to the point when you come that it's that it's that the norm is in a different lineup that the norm is. You don't have to look at the lineup card. And I would love if Cam Smith didn't have to look at the lineup card. And if it's not going to be that way, then have him go, Rake and triple A bring him back. I'm a big believer that he's on the roster and earned it. But you got to keep earning it and the only way to do that is keep playing him. But that's a decision for people that are above our pay grade when it comes to baseball managing and making those personnel decisions.
Speaker 8: Now, Joe Spot says he will be in the lineup today. I mean, I believe it was said that they gave him the last couple of days off just to work on some stuff, pregame all of those other things. But makes a nice play out and right field last night. Comes through in a huge spot at the plate, I mean, consistent at bats. I mean, that's that's more than anything.
Speaker 5: Is that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there are going to be strikeouts, There is going to be A goes back to the dugout and says, yeah, I had no chance hitting that.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome to the big leagues, kid, That's how this is. You want me to point to the guys on the field who have been through that. Plenty shortstop has been through that, and he's been able to work his way through it, and he didn't come nearly as highly acclaimed as Cam Smith has. And Payne has been able to work his way through being you know how he's struggling this year, but the plate, discipline, the rest, we'll let him work through it. And he played every day. He played every frigging day, and by the end of the year is rookie year. Guess what he was an ALCS and the World Series Most Valuable Player, And you got a guy who comes even more highly regarded than then the prospects we've seen come up here in a minute, and Cam Smith is that guy. I just to me, unless at the expense of everybody suffering and he's an out all the time, I don't think we're there by any stretch yet. I would personally play him every day until he either played his way into where everybody's like that's the man or needed to go down and learn a few things, and that's not the end of the world. I think he's here to stay, especially if you give him more at bats. That's just me and my opinion, but that's exactly why I'm not making on the top dugout step the decisions. I'd like to see him in the lineup getting four bats all the time. I need five hundred bats from him, and then we can start to say what kind of player is he? I think we know well, we believe, I think, and that's usually a good steal caitalent he is. That's that's without core, that's that's there can be no question about it. But talent and production or two differ things. I think he's got an energy that adds to these guys as well.
Speaker 8: We can ask Dana Brown about all of those things, because that's coming up right here on the Sean Salisbury Show, his weekly visit here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Jbarn Barbecue Jbarnbarbecue dot Com is where you go. You don't need reservations, so don't worry about that, but you do need the outdoor. Incredible with TV and music and a great parking lot. You got it close to the Ballpark and you got it close to Toyota Center. But it also can be standalone. Like I said, it's phenomenal food. You can go get the joaspot A plate. You can go get the Kelvin Samson plate, the Clyde Drexler. The meats. Listen, the sides are off the charts, but the meats, the chicken, everything they do is first class with tremendous tremendous. Oh, the price is right too. I got news for you, but so is the customer service. And if you like a spot that you'd go no matter what's going on around there, a vent or not. That's when you know you got the right place, the right cold drink, and the right hot food. As well as it's J bar M Barbecue. I ask you this, Go there and report back and ask me or let me know what you think about the barbecue, the atmosphere of the environment, the fact that you can bring your dog outside. There's always events going on. It is a phenomenal place. Glad to be a partner with my guys at Jbarn Barbecue. Hoffey and the rest of the guys will treat you like gold. You may not have a sandwich there or you may not have a menu or an item named after you, like the Joe a spot a plate, but they will treat you like you do and that's why. And the food, well, it'll melt in your mouth. It's Jbarnbarbecue dot Com, twenty two oh one Leland Street. It can stand alone, it doesn't need an event. But if you want to party in an event before and after, that's a place to do it. Jbarn Barbecue Jbarmbarbecue dot Com. We're for the Sean Salisbury Show continues. I know we can break it up and you know, forty game increments, fifty game increments, however we want to do that. But eleven games in just kind of it back, even if it's just a fan, but you're you're immersed into this thing overall evaluation. Eleven games in about your team right now?
Speaker 12: Yeah, look, I think that you know, the team is holding on strong. You know, we've had a couple, you know, times where we didn't get that good of a start. Bullpen's been pretty good, the bats still hasn't gotten on all cylinders yet, you know, and we've been playing pretty good defense. So look, overall, you know we're right there. Just one game under five hundred eleven games in two and a half out and you know, good things are coming. So we feel really good about this club.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dana, we've talked about defining roles and then obviously the the p word of production from those guys that you've defined rules for. You mentioned the bullpen has been pretty good. When do you know during a season is it a field thing? Is it looking at the numbers alone analytics part do you say this is the guy who's long release? These the three guys who take care of this is our seven? Eight to nine? We know who eight nine is, But when do you know that seven solidified? Is it a game to game thing or is it a that's our guy? And how long does it take before that trust in that in the bullpen and there's certain roles to find, how long does it take before it hits Yeah, So you look at.
Speaker 12: You look throughout the entire industry. You know, teams are always value clubs are always evaluating at players. And when you look at our pen, you know you're finding out guys are developing, you know, like Gusta's really stepped it up for you know, King has been really good. Oakurt's been really good, and so you continue to let these guys compete and you find spots for them where they can have some success, whether you're matching lefty, lefty, righty righty. You know, that's that's what you continue to do. As you mentioned, the two two back end guys are pillars back there, and as we continue to go through this, we're we're seeing guys developed right before our eyes. And so look, we feel like we've got a good group. The pen has been pretty much locked down. And look, when we get on all cylinders with the bat and the rotation, I think that's when we're going to run off, you know, seven in a row, ten in a row, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Data Brown Astro's GM for his weekly nine thirty visit here on Wednesday, joins us here on the Seawan Salisbury showing Sports Talk seven to ninety uh. Speaking of Taylor Scott specifically, was really good for you guys last year, did some great things at a time when you needed him, kind of like we've mentioned Ronel Blanco in the starting rotation doing stuff that like man was really good for us well, eleven games in a little over three innings and has not had his best stuff Dana, how istant how important is it for you and Joe and the team to trust what you see eleven games into a season that he is going to turn it around, not only for your team but for his psyche. How important is it to trust early and let him pitch in high leverage situations, to pitch through the trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Look, so when you talk about a guy like Scott, you know, he's got really good stuff. You know, he's competitive, he gave you a good year last year. And sometimes guys lose confidence, but you know, you you stick with them and you try to put him in spots where they could succeed. And so I think we'll continue to build him up and build his confidence. And you know, the stuff still looks pretty good from a scouting eye, you know, and from data wise, he still looks pretty good. You know. It's just you got to make pitch certain pitches at certain times and you have to trust the stuff.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: Uh, Pitchers go through this all the time, you know, where they lose lose some confidence and then you know they just have to restore it a little bit. Uh. But make no mistake, we think he's going to be one of our you know, pillars down down the stretch in the middle of our.
Speaker 2: Bullpit to you, has he lost confidence? Danny Uran. We talk about you being around hanging when you feel like a guy's done that, you kind of go around, rub shoulders with him and tell him to stick with it. We've had this conversation about other players. Where is he when you look into his eye and when you when you see him. Where's his confidence level right now?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I just think it's the confidence and trusting your stuff, not so much the mental confidence. Just trust your stuff, remember that your stuff can play at the major league level. Don't try to nibble, you know, don't try to pitch on the edges all the time. You know, oftentimes you got a challenge the hitter. You got to get in the zone early, and you have to avoid those walks and avoid falling behind. And you fall behind. Look, this is the big leagues. If you fall behind, these major league hitters will make you pay. And so I think it's more, Hey, trust your stuff, you know, regain your confidence in your stuff, and remember that your stuff is the same. Just go in his zone and you're going to be fine. And I think he's starting to understand that. And you know, look, he's seeing some of his you know, other teammates that are really having some success right now, and he could help build off that.
Speaker 2: Dany, you've been one of baseball's before you came here to land in here, one of the you know, cut your teeth but being a great talent evaluator and seeing it and now's a GM role doing all the things you have to do there plus seeing talent. So let's get to Yan Das. You told us on this show that he was the future at catcher when Maldy was here and you were spot on, which allowed you guys to move Corey Lee. All right, so here we are now in a wonderful year last year, a guy that's reeling a little bit. Take yourself out of the GM role. You and I are sitting in the ballpark and we've watched eleven games. What's your swing evaluation for YANR. Das right now, not counting last year, what you're seeing eleven games in this year?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think you put your arms around them and you sit and talk to them. You pull them to the side and you say, look, you know you can hit at the big league level. We already know that. What you have to do is just get a good pitch, be patient, don't try to do too much. Oftentimes the players will try to do too much and they'll come out of themselves and they'll come out of their swing, and you know, and I think it's one of those cases where he's trying to do too much. And I think, right now, if we could just get him to look, be disciplined, don't chase, make the picture, come into the strike zone, don't try to do too much. I think that's the speech we would give him because he's trying to do too much. Look, the kid it to ninety nine last year with a bunch of home runs, and he knows he's got a good ops and all those good things when you talk about the numbers. But you know, sometimes it's as simple as simplifying it and saying, look, look for a strike and do damage. Lay off the off speed, lay off the stuff that's out of the zone, don't get the picture to get you to expand his zone. And I think that's that's where our speech is right now for him. And that's kind of like how I see it. I think he's going to heat up, no doubt about it. This guy's way too talented of a hitter, and so you know, frustration grows when guys start off slow and they struggle, but you just have to keep him mentally strong.
Speaker 2: Dana, what kind of guy numbers wise, Like, let's just play pay it forward a decade from now? What kind of consistent numbers guys at the plate average RBI?
Speaker 1: Who is he?
Speaker 2: Home runs? What kind of guy? When you said, here's the numbers I expect from Yiner, what do they look like?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I expect Jiner to you know, hit somewhere near two eighty to three hundred, you know, twenty plus home runs with an over an eight hundred ops at the catcher spot. Right, He's done that and people will doing that. Did it in twenty three, did it in twenty four, and we feel like he'll do it in twenty five. You know, it's not you know, those are attainable numbers, and he's already you know, shown that he could do that, and so you know, that's pretty much who he is. You know, he's a guy that can hit, you know, somewhere in that sixth sixth slot and you know, do some damage. And so we know that it will come. You know, oftentimes as I mentioned before, the hitters are a little bit of head of the pitchers are a little bit ahead of the hitters. And so you know, guys are still getting at timing right, They're still locking in on the zone, and so I would expect good things coming from yer.
Speaker 5: Danny.
Speaker 2: You've watched young talent flourish Ronald Acuna. You've seen it happen here as well, guys, Jiner being one of them when he got the job full time. So let's talk cam Smith and just from you know, we get questions on this show and I always break one to you about Okay, help us with this because you're more expert than we are. Can Cam Smith be? And I know that Joe puts the lineup and you've always deferred to that saying Joe makes the lineup decisions. But from your evaluation standpoint, can a guy get better on the major league level at his age playing once every three days or once every other day? Should do we need five hundred at bats as a rookie for us to see who Cam Smith is.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And the answer the first question, guys do get better at the major league level. It happens every year every time guys develop, you know, they get up there when they're young. I think Cam Smith's gonna be all right. He's still controlling the zone. You know, pictures that they've been pitching him pretty tough. I think last last night's triple was a, you know, a big stepping stone for him because he was going through a down period. I mean, sometimes we have to realize these guys, they struggle when they come up to the big leagues. You know, I remember when Bregman first came up, he struggled a little bit. Tucker first came up, he struggled a little bit. They were right in the same area.
Speaker 10: Uh you know.
Speaker 12: In fact, I think Bregman was like one for twenty eight or something like that. I mean, yeah, yeah, he's been to young players and you know, make no mistake, this guy competed at a high level in college. He got some minor n get back. He came into camp. You know, he made this team because he played hard and played well. He's really developing in right field, and uh, you know, getting him in there with the action of his look. Understand that you have the talent to play at the major league level. We've seen a lot of young players come up and do well and you know, we think that this guy can really turn the corner. And at some point, you know, you guys will see that, oh wow, he's back. So he's getting there and he's buying in, you know, to what he needs to buy into to get to hit at the big league level. But make no mistake, we feel really good about cam Smith in his future here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love him. I think his energy's off the charts, and he adds something that that did h And I think there's a mental toughness from my vantage point, but you know better than I. Okay, eleven games in, has there been somebody that say, wow, this is a pleasant surprise for us already that you're saying, damn, we're getting more out of him than I actually even expected. Who is that body?
Speaker 12: Well, look, we Rogers got off to a pretty good start. You know he uh, you know, he took a o for last night, but you know he's he's been swinging the back pretty well. And and so with us needing some you know, some offense at second base by one once we put two vay and left, you know, we've I really feel like this guy could turn the corner and get back to you know what he was you know, a few years ago, you know, when he hit over to eighty one a gold glove, he was a you know, he was within the top five picks in the draft. I think it was like third in the country. So this is a talented player that kind of lost his way a little bit. And he's you know, he's headed in the right direction. And you know, he got off to a pretty good start with us. As I mentioned, he went oh for last night. But this guy's got a chance to turn the corner and be a nice piece for us, you know at the second base position.
Speaker 2: Danny, you and I talked last year about you know, small ball can be a really good thing when you're not driving it and getting slugging everybody. Now that's what we're looking for. But back to back nights, even though one got you got beat by a bunt, good moving him over, and then you executed a bunt, and then last night the same way. I mean, well, I know we're not getting caught up in the butt thing. Small ball matters and moving runners over. That had to be a pleasant for you to see that you can win that way as well.
Speaker 12: Yeah, small ball was. I thought it was a great win last night. It was a team win. We pretty much had to use our entire bench. That's what it's all about. You know, you go deep into these games, especially when you go in the extra innings, you know somebody's gonna have to come out and be the hero. And last night, you know, Taratini came up with a big hit. You know, we got Cam the had to triple those two guys provided the RBIs. It was a total team effort. The bullpen was really good. They came in and shut the door, and so look that's a big team win, a big confidence builder. You know, we got a good one to night this afternoon and hopefully, you know, we'll get to five hundred today and go home at five hundred and get a chance to come in there and win some games at Dyking Park.
Speaker 2: Should there be a soul in Houston worried about Jordon's power or is that gonna just come in bunches like we usually expect to see it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we go home runs coming bunches all the time. I wouldn't worry about Jordon's power. Look, if you're worried about your and out of tower, I thank you. Probably this guy got as much power as anybody in this game. I mean, this guy can power light power power. I mean, this guy hits balls really far. I'm not worried about his power. I think he's he's gonna be fine. Uh. You know, he got off to somewhat of a slow start, got a big home run the other day, you know, and you know they've been pitching him tough. I've been running from him and he's taking his walks. You know, It's just it just goes to show. Like, Look, it's a long season for a reason. You know, you guys have heard me say multiple times on the show. It's a it's a marathime, not a sprint, you know. And this is not for the faint at heart. You know, you have to continue to grind, continue to do things right, continue to do things right that helps you win ball games. And you know, we'll get through the season on top. And I have full confidence in this team, our coaching staff, and I know our fans are back in us. So look, we're ready to go. It's just that we just got to get hot right now. We're right there and there five hundred, and as I always say, you get hot, you're at five hundred. You get hot, you run off five in a row, seven in a row. Before you know you're five games over, you're seven games over and good things are happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no time, we have to keep grinding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, twelve and twenty four start this year, which is a good thing. Real quick data update on Spencer aarraghetti.
Speaker 12: Yeah, freak accident. You know, he's being evaluated. You know, it looks like you know, it's gonna be some time, and we're gonna still need some time to get the full evaluation, but at least it's gonna be you know, I would say, you know, six weeks or so. You know, hopefully some guys feel a lot faster and you know they can come back a little sooner. But look, ultimately, it's one of those freak accidents. And man, it really it really hurts you lose the starter. Yeah, it really really hurts.
Speaker 2: How does that rotation look now, though? How do you move it around real quick? I don't want to keep you much longer. How do you move it around with Spencer out?
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's a chance that we're gonna put Gusto in there to fill that spot. You know, he's been a starter for us. We we broke camp with him in the pin. But we knew at some point we're gonna have to build him back up because we had some of our bullpen guys that were down, like Fort and Whitley, and so we just were probably gonna you know, he would have been the first guy coming up from Triple A, so it probably slide Gusto into into that start, you know, and then you know, we we'll shape up with Valdez Brown. You know, Gusto Blanco west Netski. West Netski's throwing the ball very well. So he's been that pleasant you know surprise that you talked about if you're talking about a guy is from the pitching standpoint that really had stepped it, or he's been really good up to ninety seven, you know, which is really really good. So it looks great with the scouting guy too. So look, we were still in pretty good shape, you know. Uh, you know, we don't want anything else to happen. Uh, but we still we feel like we're there is still pretty good shape. And look, sometimes these guys will get hurt, they come back, they'll be a shot in the arm later and they'll help you ride it out all way to the end. So uh, well we'll make the adjustment and we'll be fine in a rotation.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Go still gives you a little bandwidth and versatility, which is nice. Dana, great stuff, man. We'll see when you get back home, and we look forward to next week's conversation. Thanks you, Bud.
Speaker 12: Absolutely always good talking to you. Hanging air as so fans, We're coming.
Speaker 1: There, you go.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that's dand Brown. We'll come back finish up next. The Sean Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 8: Pop Isaac from Creighton, a guard who has a lot of good experience, twenty seven points against.
Speaker 2: Kansas and a hell of a program at Creighton. Doug sherm, it's created something or Doug leader, his father's created something special. Man. Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 8: If you miss any of Dana Brown, you can go to Sports Talk seven ninety dot com be able to check that out or the new free or free new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: That's another that you can get that there. Sean, great stuff today.
Speaker 8: Thanks enjoy, We'll see you tomorrow. There you go, master, Yeah, there you go. Round one gonna get going. Don't forget. It's gonna be Rossville Reale and Adam Westler over at Big City Wings Marquee location. They're gonna be there with you until two o'clock. I'm Dan, he's Sean Triple, Emmanuel Elmore. We'll talk to you in twenty hours right here Sports Talk seven ninety