Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome locome. Welcome, and it's time now for our community connection right here on CA one, the one you Trust, brought to you by arm Boy Knee Camp Funeral Home. Hi. I'm Tom Davis and we have Salvation Army in the house. How are we doing, Lieutenant Tiny Swaying. Of course you are. You got a busy fault coming up here, and Veronica Ramire is great to have you back. It's like like the third time, third time, something like that. A couple of times, maybe a few times, but it's alway's great to have you around on our program. First of all, the first September leaf fell from a tree, and that means everybody's getting right for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: So we've got the Angel Tree coming up. Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we uh the Angel Tree. We have the application.
Speaker 3: We have online applications this year and we opened it up September ninth.
Speaker 2: Had some advertisement letting.
Speaker 3: People you know, get ready for that and uh September ninth at four pm. We opened it up September tenth, that evening.
Speaker 2: It was capped. Well that is how quick it went. But you know, people in need a lot of people, and.
Speaker 3: Uh, we're still like going through there's still like a filtering process that we do after that, so in that we'll filter through it and then there's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be possible, you know, more openings.
Speaker 3: So with that, you know, we just want the community to be looking at our Facebook page because I'm going to be announcing when that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: So if they, you know, if.
Speaker 3: They weren't able to sign up this first time, be looking for that next opening date, and you know, we want them to be able to jump on there as quick as they can.
Speaker 1: Because it goes quick. And tell us a little bit about the Angel try. I know that it started a few back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Right, Uh, I don't. Yeah, I'm not for sure exactly when it started.
Speaker 1: But it's something that it would be recent time, because that doesn't seem like a long time. Agod. I mean that again, I'm older and dirt. But it's one of those things where community gets together, businesses get together, and people make it happen.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 4: We kind of facilitate it and the community supports it and makes it all come together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And we usually have trees that at Walmart and other places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a few other places in town, and you know, we've already gotten calls.
Speaker 2: From people saying they.
Speaker 3: Want angels and you know, they want a tree, and so we're really thankful because it's.
Speaker 2: All the community, the volunteers, they all.
Speaker 3: If we did not have them, it would not happen.
Speaker 1: Now when we have the angel tree up and going, We're going to get into more detail on that a little bit later on, but w everybody to know that we're in the preparation phase. Then we'll explain it all, maybe a little bit late next time you came in because it's kind of involved. But the holidays schedule is here, tell us about what's going on with the community meals.
Speaker 4: Community meal is going to be Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. We're going to serve a meal to anybody in need in the community or just want to come by and check in with us. There's always people in the community that want to stop in get a fully cooked meal. Dinks has been so gracious and smokes our turkey, so can you imagine, Yes, yes, they're amazing. And then everything else is cooked in house, mashed potatoes, gravy, stepping everything, and the desserts. Oh yes, homemade desserts from our Women's Auxiliary.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pride that goes into those. I've seen those. I haven't been able to taste any better I've seen them.
Speaker 4: So we are looking forward to that event. The community again comes out to support, helps us cook, serve, clean up, and then just sometimes to have a seat and converse and minister to somebody in need. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: This is right there at the Citadel, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're going to do that at the Citadel again from eleven am to two pm. And it's the day before Thanksgiving, which is November twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Wow. You know every year and even when COVID when you had to do the drive through thing with the clam boxes and everything else like that, this is this has always been very well received in our community. And like you said, there's a lot of folks who are having a rough time and this might be the only meal to get that week that's home cooked and prepared like that. But it's always a good time, like you say, for other folks to come in and let folks know there's a little hope.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, we want we want to give them, right, Oh, Golley.
Speaker 3: Have conversations with them, you know, tables, place to gather and talk.
Speaker 1: Indeed, you might not be blood relatives, but we're all family at the Salvation Army. Yes, now we've got a ca food drive coming up. These are fun. Yes, you got a lot of cans. How does this work?
Speaker 4: So basically almost a whole month of October, the elementary schools compete to see who can bring in the most cans.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: And you know Wayside has.
Speaker 1: Been They've been kind of bringing it home, haven't they have.
Speaker 4: For the past few years. So you know, we're trying to get out there and motivate the other schools. Ranch Heights coming in pretty close, so you know, I'm pulling for Ranch Heights, that's my And then once that concludes that we pick up the cans and we go into a can sort and that just requires as many volunteers as we can possibly. Uh, I don't know, collect, I'm not sure the word. But what we do is we bring like what sixteen thousand cans into the building and we go through them, sort them, make almost like a faux store, and then get these boxes packed. And that's what goes out with the Christmas Tree Gifts, Angel Tree gifts, it's the food boxes.
Speaker 1: It's a friend. Wow. So I see how it all comes together now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, we have like this thing, you know, the days of carrying that you're not a way we have it. It starts in August and so we have all these people from the community.
Speaker 2: A lot of businesses will call and are not called. They'll sign up for these days of carrying the game, food drive, introduce storting.
Speaker 3: Are all on that list, and then they contact us and we you know, schedule them for the days are coming in. So it's all again volunteer like driven and it's wonderful and they love it. Like when they come they're smiling and they have joy when they do it, and so it's well.
Speaker 2: It's encouraging.
Speaker 1: They got a great task to do. Make sure that people get fed. That's that's really warm art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's just really interesting to see how it all works, you know. Oh yeah, you come in and you see how it all in foe. It's very I don't know, it's just very eye opening and it's nice.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the Salvation Army is there for more than just an emergency. You're there every day for people because there are emergencies varying, you know, severity. What might not be anything to you, it might be a big thing for someone. Every day there are people whose life circumstances change and many times not even their fall absolutely and when you fall through the cracks, it's hard, and it's really great to know that we've got a great net there to keep folks from hitting rock bottom. At the Salvation Army. You know, everybody thinks, oh, yeah, well there's been a big flood, Well there's been a tornado or something like that. Salvation Armies. There's been a fire, Salvation Armies there you there, twenty four seven, three sixty five. Yeah, people got to know that you're there for a reason. Everybody's having a personal emergency.
Speaker 2: I mean they can even come there. I mean if they just need someone to talk to and pray with.
Speaker 1: After all, you are a church, we're there.
Speaker 3: You know, you just ask for one of us, you know, would be glad to go and it helps someone and talk.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it just you know, sometimes people just want someone to.
Speaker 1: Listen and so and when people do fall in tough circumstances, if you don't have the resources on board, you've got a great rollodex. You know, we're not put people in touch with other people. Isn't that right? She's over there, miss social services. Imagine that rolodex about takes up the whole desk.
Speaker 4: It is substantial. I think in Barnesville we do have a lot of community resources and good connections within those resources between all of the agencies. Seems to make that happen and see what we can do for those in need.
Speaker 1: One thing about Bartlesville is we overperform, and that's a good thing when it comes to our nonprofit health agencies. Now, this is a good science town, but it's not so big that nobody knows anybody. A lot of people know a lot of everybody's and that's where this community alliance really comes into play. Have you ever seen anything like this in your travels.
Speaker 2: I'm truly amazed.
Speaker 3: I tell people a lot like I have never seen community come together like this place does. And all the nonprofits, there's so many available, and their the hearts behind it are so just so encouraging and so amazing just to see because they're all just working together. And if we can't, if we don't have the resource, you know, go somewhere.
Speaker 2: This place will help you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just I just think it's super encouraging to see everyone work together to help others.
Speaker 1: That is great Salvation, aren't you guys wear the shield proudly. We've got red kettle coming up to we do and well, I guess well that'll be part of the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I let my husband say. He's a little more.
Speaker 1: He's kettle driven. He's the kettle guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all, we both work all of it together.
Speaker 3: But he does more of the kettle and I'll handle more of anguish.
Speaker 1: I see how this works. Teamwork.
Speaker 2: It's all teamwork.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I do the community meal and the can sorting and the can drive and so any volunteers.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is going to be a happening little place down there on Bucy, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tell everybody where the where the where the.
Speaker 4: The citadel is located at one o one North Bucy Avenue. We're right at Hensley and Bucy.
Speaker 1: Easy to find the big Salvation Army Shield, right and you can call and of course you got the website. Now, your Facebook is really active. I mean I'm not a person that goes on Facebook a whole lot. Yeah, it's because you know, I get confused on social media.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: You're there, you're active in your eyes posting positive things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to I'm trying to make it more active, you.
Speaker 3: Know, so the community can see you know that we are doing things and we're.
Speaker 1: Here and yeah, that's super. Now, where can folks get a hold of you to volunteer for the community meal to help out?
Speaker 4: They can call us nine point eight three three six six four five four and ask for Veronica.
Speaker 1: All right, we can do that. We can put that out right now. I want to thank you ladies for coming in today and sharing that. You know, anytime yours open for salvation, aren't we? You know that? All right? All right? Thank you. You've been watching and listening to our community connection on K one