Speaker 1: You're watching You in the Cud with Mike ben in Row and dominic Berry told me, let's first you split it, then you lick it, then you dun'k it, and that's also how you eat it not real.
Speaker 2: This week I'm joined by poet extraordinary dominic Berry. You're doing I'm really well.
Speaker 3: It's so lovely to be back here. I had so much fun last time in a year of the year, since you're last with us. Oh my goodness, that doesn't it? It does, indeed it does, indeed.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, it's super cool to be back.
Speaker 4: Great, it's great to have you here. What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 3: We are going to be talking about saltburn okay, and I'm gonna I'm going to teach you a little bit about wordsmith ry Mike teach you a lesson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sounds promising.
Speaker 5: And we even have something different instead of a Game of the Week with Dom's top poetry on screen. notWe You can see our social media just search for at the coud TV and.
Speaker 3: As people who have popped up in our comments go along the bottom of the screen, it's time for Mike in the Buzz.
Speaker 5: Over Christmas. Now it's been it's gone, it's done. Yeah, did you have some good presence?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: I am super nerdy, so all of my presents were like Japanese only release video games from the ninety nineties, proper obscure stuff and like what yeah, a game called Royal Stone, a game called Crystal Warriors, like super nerdy stuff like Pokemon before Pokemon at these like text line ones like what the text ones where you have to like type yes.
Speaker 2: Oh not that old.
Speaker 3: I remember that school in school where they brought in the computer a trolley like one day a week.
Speaker 2: Oh, those were glorious. Do you remember Pop?
Speaker 3: His name Pop where it's like pop can explode in his face grow? Yeah, it never grew old, it never grew. It's one step above that, but only a small only a small step.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, people have been sharing their.
Speaker 5: Say Christmas gift fails awful gifts online and there's been some truly brilliant ones this year, like would you say no to a garlic press?
Speaker 2: Garlic press? Oh no, that sounds very useful.
Speaker 3: It does sound useful, but as a Christmas gift, well, I guess it depends how much garlic you eat.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're trying to say something.
Speaker 5: Trolley bags, a bag for the trolley.
Speaker 4: Trolley bags.
Speaker 5: No, oh, they're they're brilliant, they're like a shopping but they did you get trolley back?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 3: Are you sad you didn't get a trolley back.
Speaker 5: It's a bag that fits inside a trolley quite perfectly, so when you're doing your scanning shop shopping, you just put.
Speaker 4: It in the bag.
Speaker 5: Oh, they did designed to fit in the trolley, so you're not wrestling with trying to reorganize a bag for life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a bit of a pick. The most homophobic gift on the planet, of course, is links.
Speaker 5: When people give you links body set, right, But people were shopped that they came in ten sets, so it's not just a spray in a bottle.
Speaker 4: There's ten things that come in this links.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But and customized Tomato ketchup. Oh fab Yeah, so you get a bottle smart ketchup. It's not even a big bottle with your name on it instead of Hinds.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful, Yeah, beautiful for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm one of those people who like could turn into a man in a home just full of junk floor ceiling, Like I could, Like I would. I would keep that forever, and you know, the temptation to not wash it because the little bits of red would like be part of it would be disgusting.
Speaker 2: There's something I probably would do. You know that's great. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that. And a half pack of socks.
Speaker 5: So one shed they opened up a half pack packet from the grandmother and it was half a packet of socks and I'm going, okay, and then the dad opened the other half.
Speaker 2: Fair play.
Speaker 4: So it's just people keeping keeping thrifty. Cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: What did you get mine?
Speaker 4: I was very lucky that I just got.
Speaker 2: Cash, the true meaning of Christ.
Speaker 5: Because I don't have a dog. Everyone mad As gifts for the dog. So I got a lot of dog toys, a lot of dog treats, a blanket, and I going, why have you give me a blanket? And a dog ran up went that's min That's why I'm giving a blanket.
Speaker 3: My friend he sis To, got his cat a caravan, not like a full sized human caravan, but a cat caravan. And Daphne the cat, she is the kind of cat A great name, isn't it she She doesn't really like many toys, but the caravan.
Speaker 2: She loves it.
Speaker 3: And the genius of the caravan is really it's it's just like a box. Cats love boxes, but it's it's more aesthetically pleasing for it's got this really sweet design, but it's.
Speaker 2: Got a little hole in the top.
Speaker 3: She can pop her head out and she can climb in and out of the window.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful fun.
Speaker 4: I get one for George.
Speaker 5: But moving on, predictions. Have you had any predictions for this year? You thought, Oh, this year, this is what I think will happen for me. Oh, well, you know my year last year.
Speaker 3: If I'm listing all my years I've ever had in my life, it wasn't my favorite.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a favorite, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think I think, you know, like Yaz and the plastic population, the only way is up.
Speaker 2: The only way is up. So that's what I think. Good.
Speaker 3: Good for health, you know, good for career, good for everything. Yeah, just go out and be us. That's all we could do, Mike, isn't it. We can't be anyone else.
Speaker 5: But we can try a couple of different people. That's enough about how I cant man? Have you ever heard of Babba Agner?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I have not.
Speaker 3: Is this some kind of Russian folklore, not Bulgarian. Oh okay, and she was a lady that died in the nineties. Okay, when she's predicted lots. She never wrote anything now because she was literate. What people used to write down her predictions for her.
Speaker 5: She successfully predicted Princess Di's death nine to eleven chernobyl.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: She also predicted her own death as well, which I think is a bit of a you can make that happen.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I don't want to be disrespectful for something that's clearly revered yet I've not heard of.
Speaker 2: But when you say predicted, is it predicted.
Speaker 3: Like a in a really elusive way that could be multiple interpretations like all the stars will be in the yeah, you'll see the color blue. Yeah, yeah, it's actually she's quite specific, and she has been wrong, right, right, But this year, what she's predicted are an assassination attempt on Putin, So she said Russian Prime minister will be have an assassination attempt, right, cyber attacks, EU terror attacks.
Speaker 4: Bought a cure for cancer, and Alzheimer's. Right, that's what she's predicted for this year.
Speaker 5: That's all right, you know, she's dead now, so no one's going to go with you were wrong, So on my word, good day, das.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: She did predict aliens to come over last year, but they might have I didn't.
Speaker 5: She's very specific in that, saying that you know the sky will be darkened by aliens.
Speaker 4: That did happen. Well, that's I slept through it.
Speaker 5: But if you sleep through world events like I do at the cod TV on social media, and that brings us to our story of the week YouTube.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you like a YouTuber?
Speaker 3: I'm not someone who follows YouTubers? Well, actually no, I tell a lie because the nerdy video game stuff. I do follow a few people who talk about the obscure stuff. Why do you ask, Well, this is because a fitness influencer already fallen out with called Joe Fraser.
Speaker 2: Okay, not familiar with the name now.
Speaker 4: That it was fitness, I'm not little teacher how to get a great body. No, he stayed away for.
Speaker 3: Forty two hours, so already on a good healthy as an experiment to show people how important sleepers and rest is. Right, Yes, I mean isn't that a bit like oh, I'm going to like, you know, put nails in my hand to show that putting nails in my hand is bad.
Speaker 2: Does that need to be shown? Does that need.
Speaker 5: Apparently so it's a generation out there that thinks you don't need sleep. But yeah, he stayed a forty two hours and documented the journey, right. So he started off by saying things like, you know, the first eighteen hours were.
Speaker 4: Easy because it was just my normal day.
Speaker 5: Because he said it was when it was thirty hour thirty three he really started to struggle. So he was drinking a lot of caffeine to try and keep himself awake, lots of sugar, and he said his mental agility went downhill very quickly, to the point where he actually he didn't fall asleep, he passed out from exhaustion.
Speaker 4: We have another picture of him.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 3: In the words of Janet from The Rocky Horror Shower, I don't like men with too many muscles, you know, I think that's.
Speaker 2: I mean, good for him, good for him, let him enjoy himselself.
Speaker 4: But he obviously puts a lot of work in and doesn't drink enough water anyway. But that's all from the buzz this week.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Mike Well, I have no intention to do anything towards making my body look anything like that. I think, you know, big lamps of chocolate and bread.
Speaker 2: My new Year's resolutions.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, it mus said, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
Speaker 4: She had obviously never eaten in a clare.
Speaker 5: Stick around because coming up next, we've got Dominic and the Shelbiz. You're watching you in a coid with Dominic and make now let's get ready for the Shelbys with Dominic.
Speaker 3: So to celebrate the nineteen nineties, we've got some new stamps postage stamps coming out and they're of a group who I remember when I was a teenager in the nineties, I felt this was the end of music. That's why I felt as a teenager, I disliked this group so much, so much, but they are popular with many of the gays.
Speaker 2: They are the Spice Girl. Did you what's your favorite Spice Girls song?
Speaker 5: To become one really because they tell people to put condoms on.
Speaker 2: Well, that is a good thing.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great message.
Speaker 3: That is a great message. That is a great message. Well here they are is one of the stamps here, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well she's winking at me.
Speaker 3: I always felt as a teenager that there was. I know that most pop music is manufactured in some way, but you know, I grew up with like Cindi Lauper and Madonna, who I felt were really authentic, and it just it just never really rang true for me. The Spice Girls, it never never made a connection. But we're not just getting one stamp. We're getting like about a million stamps because there we are all the different ones there. So yeah, yeah, which which was your favorite Spice.
Speaker 4: My favorite space was Jerry really, just because she was the most chaotic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the Jerry solo single look at Me, the first solo single. I thought that that was authentic because that was all I was less keen than less keen than that one. Yeah, and I liked Melbe's do you know what?
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say something lovely about the Spice Girls. Now, I saw a clip from the nineties which I had not seen before, and the Spice Girls are doing a p are taught like different countries, and they're in a European country and on this show, which I believe is live on air, that the Five Spies seems quite.
Speaker 2: Early in their career and loads of.
Speaker 3: Young dancers come out, white dancers in backface dance around okay, And to completely contradict what I said before, I thought that the Spice Girls, especially Melbye, the only black person in the studio at the time, I thought that it was really skillfully done. I believe that they didn't know this was going to happen, and Melby was like, I mean so much that could have been said. I think in that scenario pretty much anything would have been you know an I'm sad reaction from Melby and Melby was like, why haven't you got white people doing this dance? I won't say the dance itself was problematic. The dance itself was like.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, you know, it's our tradition.
Speaker 3: It's like Melby is like, you could have got black people to do this sounds why haven't you? And she's like, I'm not okay with this dance. I thought to say that, and she did it with real dignity, real now.
Speaker 2: I never saw this at the time. This is something that I've just seen recently, and it did make me reevaluate.
Speaker 5: My I think the Spicycles, when they were being political and very pc and very aware of where they were, they were doing brilliant things like Jerry Halliwell talking to when they met Nelson Mandela, Jerry Hollywell went, you know about his life and how they should be respected more, and yet he's treated appallingly and stuff. So I think when when they did speak out, they had a very good voice.
Speaker 4: The songs were good. Do you think anyway?
Speaker 3: Stop I'll stop saying moving on. If I wasn't a fan of the Spice Girls, what do you think was my subjective view of Britney Spears?
Speaker 4: He loved her.
Speaker 5: I wasn't key, I was you were there dressing up with the pigtails and the school.
Speaker 2: But you know, Britney Spears has had the book come out. Have you read the book?
Speaker 3: I read some of the book, did you I read the back page which says some of the book, I've done that typical thing that people do when they want to see more intelligent than they are that I've read a lot of articles about.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, Britney Spears has led a really really harrowing life.
Speaker 3: Really really horrible things happened, and as much as I had just in Tim Blake and of course the much has been written about the difference in treatment of Justin Timberlakes, the difference of treatment of Britney Spears. And there's been a lot of reports and this is what this news article is about about Britney's return to music, because it wasn't that long ago that Elton John included Britney Spears and had you a big hit single.
Speaker 4: With the Conservative Ship. She had a song with Donald John.
Speaker 2: Yet yeah, the tiny dancer sampling thing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you know, there's been all this talk Britney is returning to the music industry. But Britney herself has been on Instagram saying that is not the case. So a lot of fans are really disappointed when you hear it from the artists themselves.
Speaker 2: I'm not returning to music. And I think that.
Speaker 3: As a kid, I always had huge disappointment in artists who didn't pledge.
Speaker 6: Their heart and soul till the grave, till being a singer or a actor or whatnot. And I've got really different opinion these days. I think that we can get so caught up in the attachment we have.
Speaker 2: To a song or a.
Speaker 3: Nightclub or whatnot, that we forget these are real people. Then, even when we're reading the traumatic real life experiences. There's still a detachment to this, so goodness me. If there's anyone who has earned a little bit of choice in their own lives, it definitely is Britney Spears. So I can understand why fans would be disappointed. I'm going to guess your Britney Spears song of choice.
Speaker 2: If you went for a slow.
Speaker 3: Spice Girls song, I think it's going to be a slow This is what I don't like a lot of pop singers is just bring out the bangers. Bring out the bangers, you know, Like the best Britney Spears song for me is toxic.
Speaker 4: It is the best. Yes, I guessed, really to, I.
Speaker 3: Would have thought you'd have gone for one like you know sometimes now, really I hated all of us low stuff. Did you what's the difference between slow Spice Girls and slow Britney.
Speaker 4: Slow Brittany was boring.
Speaker 3: So Spice Girls is boring, and that's why you've got a wrong opinion.
Speaker 2: Of fair Let's move on. Let's move on.
Speaker 3: I am a person who has strong views on music but doesn't really watch television or go to the cinema that much. But I am aware of a thing called saltburn. I loved Saltburn, Tell me what you loved about Saltburn?
Speaker 5: The twist at the end, okay, and you see a lot of naked men and there's a very large penis with Sophia Aspexter's music.
Speaker 4: In the background.
Speaker 2: What's not love?
Speaker 5: What's not so love to see a man with a nicely sized penis dancing to murder on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: Well, we are on the topic of.
Speaker 3: Naked men with this net one of my favorite fantastic So the character, no, no, the actor, the actor Jacob is a scene where is his character Felix?
Speaker 4: Is that right, Felix here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Felix. So is that there's something in a in a bark ah?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: So he has a bath We have a good time in the bar. He does have a good a good time.
Speaker 5: And then so another actor comes along and drinks the bath water a lot of the button literally, so he lets the plug out, Oh my, enjoying himself in the bath that's the other actor who's basically he gets down and starts sloping out of the plug hole.
Speaker 2: I mean, no kink shaming, no but ew.
Speaker 6: Really oh no no, not not the bath water, not the plug hole.
Speaker 2: No anything but that.
Speaker 3: You basically watch him rim the plug hole. Okay, well he felches.
Speaker 4: The plug holds the best way to describe.
Speaker 2: It, because my word, my word, you know, And I thought I lacked dignity.
Speaker 4: In the privacy of someone else's home.
Speaker 3: Well, a company clearly know that this is a popular scene, because popular fetish when it's not the taste that's being put into the capitalist, consumeristic machine. It's the smell. Okay, the smell. There is a candle, a candle, Jacob a Lord's bathwater, one hundred percent natural soy wax candle, So I'm guessing it's vegan, vegan, kosher probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Would you enjoy sniffing Jacob's bathwater mine?
Speaker 5: You see, I would have been slipping at as well. I wouldn't have waited for him to let the water out, have joined in?
Speaker 4: Where was this from the lux Candle company?
Speaker 3: All of these products are you know, I don't just mean to do with TV shows.
Speaker 2: I mean like beauty.
Speaker 3: Products, candles, perfumes, but usually have really abstract names, don't they like mystery or Asia.
Speaker 5: My favorite fragrance is called Tiger, but it's spelt tygar.
Speaker 2: Nonsense, nonsense, not nonsense. You liking it? But the name name. Yeah, so yeah, you might as well call anything anything, mightn't you. I mean, I'm sure that this smells like a soy wax candle. That's my prediction.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'm a little bit disappointed because when you go and order, try and order this twenty four pounds candle, what's been to the n Yankee candle? You get the choice of comfort spice, sea breeze, or vanilla bean.
Speaker 3: Is comfort spice on one of the postage stamps.
Speaker 2: It's the new sick.
Speaker 4: Member, which is with cushion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just sat down off the stage. You don't see it very often.
Speaker 4: She's comfortable.
Speaker 5: I was just twenty four pounds for a candle I was okay with But then you have to change the flap, the flavor, the flavor flavor.
Speaker 4: I'd eat it. We've established that already.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So do you recommend I watch saltur and should I break my.
Speaker 4: Do you think you should watch it? Okay?
Speaker 5: I know that some people like the gallery got a little bit disenfranchised with it and stopped watching it, and I completely appreciate the reasons why, but that.
Speaker 4: I think we watch it all the way.
Speaker 3: It's worth it, Okay, well, that's the end of the show biz this week.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that. Tom.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be well drinking someone's bath water later, I'm not I'm going to sit in the shower, but yeah, stick around. Coming up next as we have Dom's Top Poetry.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, and yes you are watching chewing the cut.
Speaker 5: Now we're going to have something a little different to our game of the week as Dominic is going to read some of his poetry in Dumb's Top of Poetry. So, dummick, are you ready to give us your best top bits?
Speaker 3: I'm ready to share three poems. If that's what you mean, exactly what I meant. Fantastic, all right, So here is the first and three poems. It goes exactly like this. Maybe I am strange, but I want to ask whether I'm the only one who wishes.
Speaker 2: More people cried together.
Speaker 3: I see such sadness in the world and often want to weep. Don't only mean lonely, subtle sniffles.
Speaker 2: I mean loud howls in a crowd.
Speaker 3: Sometimes my tears won't wait, don't drop privately, they burst out publicly, embarrassing me. But I know I need to let this upset out.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and.
Speaker 3: There shouldn't be shame if we don't aim to keep our feelings locked away. So this is my pitch for a crying cafe. Imagine somewhere we could all be audibly balling, sharing our troubles, sharing a table at a crying cafe. If you'd rather be smiling, that is okay. There are already plenty of other places for that. But if weepings where you're currently at, let's make a data a crying cafe, a crime cafe.
Speaker 2: We could open one up today.
Speaker 3: Take me away to the cafe, a welcoming space for the wettest face, where we could embrace grief with grace. Oh, let's go for some bleary eyed snotty nose tissue soaking.
Speaker 2: I am not joking.
Speaker 3: I'd sincerely love a place where we could all sob safely, fairly trade sorrows over the flattest flat white. No sweetener needed, a cathartic copper with caring comrades, and nobody is trying to correct us. It's not bad to be sad. Everyone accepts us. There is nobody saying you're over reacting. There's just kind and mindful interacting. We would not need loyalty cards, because here we could gain the greatest reward being together, feeling together, healing together, weeping when no one would ever have to hide, and we could leave with loving connections, feeling closer having cried.
Speaker 5: So I like the idea of Crane Cafe. I used to do something one of our workplace. We used to have a Friday cry. So we used to go into a room, me and like two of the colleagues and we just cry.
Speaker 2: No way for real, Yeah, a Friday cry.
Speaker 5: It was just the best way of getting all the stresses and stuff because it's quite a high pressure job.
Speaker 2: So we used to have a Friday cry and it does help.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, Mike, and I've not heard anything like that before, and it's brilliant. I am not pretending for one moment that I am the person who is the best at dealing with other people crying. But I think it's something that as a society we often panic over. We don't necessarily have the experience and to normalize crying because it's such a healthy thing to do, and many a word has been written on men crying, and you know, it's great for everyone to cry. And that's amazing that your workplace had that to happen.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that before.
Speaker 4: It's not a workplace thing. It's me and too color.
Speaker 5: You said we need to have a Friday cry right, well, yeah in the Crane Cafe. Are you allowed to do happy crying?
Speaker 4: Yeah? For sure, definitely. Yeah, happy crying is good too great. So do you have another one of your poems for us?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? All right, second one coming up. So this is about another kind of emotion. It's about being at a festival. It goes like this, I do not know your name. In Glastonbury. We're all defined by mud through rain. We dance our names, sliding off into mud, while sing wellies leave imprints of laughter across druid drenched earth. When Burke sang, it takes courage to enjoy it. I'm sure she was singing about Glastonbury mud. It took courage for me to enjoy these thousands of voices cheering, when all I had ever known from loud crowds was anxiety and beatings. I had learned to.
Speaker 2: Fear voices shouting my blood on their fists. Would hide at home inside my headphones, break beats, not war mars.
Speaker 3: As a girl, red faced and scared of the world, scared of names, hurled stuck to me. Men who called me dirty, called me filthy, queer.
Speaker 2: But you do not know my names.
Speaker 3: In Glastonbury, we're all defined by MUDs.
Speaker 2: Through rain.
Speaker 3: We dance our names, sliding off into mud. And now my voice joins this applauding chorus thousands in rain coated androgyny is ecstatic, grounded harmony. Because we are courage, we are joy, we are dirty, we are filthy, we are mud.
Speaker 4: I like mud.
Speaker 5: Because it's treated big festivals like Glastow it is. It's a thing that everybody has on them. It doesn't matter what you're doing coming from you are covered in mud, even if it's sunny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've been twenty particularly joyful festivals might have.
Speaker 4: Been to a couple.
Speaker 5: But I think the thing that I most took away from a festival was the fact that you can never run through a camp site. You can only ever run through a camp site because it's always past tense.
Speaker 2: Right. Should I do the final?
Speaker 4: I think we should think we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so my final three day.
Speaker 3: I'm usually quite loud when I say my poems, but I've chosen like a gentler one to end on.
Speaker 4: This has to become one of your poems.
Speaker 3: The two become one of my poems. That's not going on tour posts as that quote. It is not. This is called I Am. It goes like this. It's sunny. I am running in the park. Two puppies play. I see a bird fly close to me, then watch it for away. There's rhythm in my running, grounded rhythm in my feet. A thought is coming close to me and feeling my heart beat. This thought calls me a loser. This thought tells me I'm cursed. This thought predicts a future where this thought says, fear the worst. The ones you love will leave you, and you will break down and cry, and no one else will care when they all die or say goodbye. I see this thought come close to me, then watch it fly away. I let it go. I know the truth. I watch the puppies play.
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 3: I am not stress or fear. I'm here, I am not rage. I'm here, I am not sorrow, and my feelings aren't a cage. I am the rhythm of a breath. The puppies race and bark. The air is soft. The sun shines on these games played in the park, and when I watch the puppies play, their joy is all I see. I share a rhythm with today, A perfect place to be.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 5: Was a lot more slow and a little softer than the other ones. Yeah, definitely the two become one of your poems.
Speaker 3: And references to dogs. I know how close you are to your Yes, Yes.
Speaker 5: I do enjoy a puppy reference and an inference about doggie.
Speaker 2: I knew you were going to go. My heart felt tend to bow him. I thought, yeah, that's where my.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, stick around because after this break, it's time for Dominic to give me his knowledge as he teaches me a lesson. Welcome back to you in the good Now, we take a deep breath, relax, and get ready to be rammed with some knowledge.
Speaker 4: In teach me a lesson.
Speaker 2: Look at my classroom. How good is this? I've got fish, I've got fish leaping out book. How good is that? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: Right? I'm ready for some no knowledge ramming. That's what this is about. And I have asked Mike to do a bit of homework. Right, so, you've not been a bad student. You've done this. It was simple home work all I asked, was one phrase like you know, a sentence a lie. Doesn't have to be like clever, I asked, Mike, don't think about it too much. Just something that would be like the center of what the poem's going to be about.
Speaker 2: Just one simple line.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't want you to say what it is yet, Mike, but do you do you have a line?
Speaker 5: So yeah, on Lake, It's like all the way through my scholastic career, I have actually done.
Speaker 3: Her work okay, and I have got my phrase lovely lovely. So I write poems to be spoken aloud.
Speaker 2: And how I'm going to.
Speaker 3: School you today is creating a poem with the intent of it to be heard. Because there are differences between a poem that only exists on the page and a poem to perform, I would say that a repeated phrase is one device that could be helpful. So I'm going to encourage you to think about including this phrase.
Speaker 2: More than once. More than once.
Speaker 3: In my Glastonbury Mud poem, I kept referring to that crying cafe.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is your.
Speaker 3: Opening line, though, what you've got I think I think it might it might even be the last line. Maybe what you write arrived to that perhaps or maybe like crime Cafe, I brought that concept in about a quarter of the way through.
Speaker 2: So that's step one. Step two.
Speaker 3: I would encourage, you know, essentially, i'd encourage a rhyming poem. Okay, not all poems have to rhyme, but I would encourage a rhyming poem. For performance, people listen differently to rhymes. I think that it's it's an easier way to access something for the first time, because in performance it's all about that immediate grab.
Speaker 2: That immediate grab.
Speaker 4: Oh, I do like being grabbed a media. Yes, So.
Speaker 2: Have you got enough with which to say? I have started, I have com You've already s died, right right? Do you know what? I'm going to keep on wittering while you're writing all I probably will.
Speaker 5: Ask some questions because I've got written poetry since I was an angsty teenager.
Speaker 3: Keep coming back to that line. This is why I asked you think of it. So your rhymes should be words that guide you towards that that theme.
Speaker 2: Even if you you.
Speaker 3: Don't repeat the line I gave you all the time, whether you do or don't, use that as your anchor, use that as your compass. Use that as your point that you don't end up with lines that are too confusing or not on topic. You want to use this line to make sure that what you say gives the listener a clear journey.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think this is and what rhymes with.
Speaker 3: Sucks blocks not like the Chemical Brothers block rocking beats. Yeah, yeah, I can just write chemical or the lyrics down there because that works. Yeah, absolutely, definitely, definitely, So I would encourage a narrative to a performance. Time doesn't have to be, doesn't have to be, but if like a story, you've got like a beginning, middle, and end, that could be a helpful way to structure a poem before you start thinking about whether there's a rhythm or anything like that, just just knowing where the poem's going.
Speaker 2: So with the Glastonbury.
Speaker 3: Mud poem, the last line we are mud was actually the first concept I I sort of came up with, and I thought, well, is there a way to incorporate that into into a journey like mud?
Speaker 2: Is it disgusting? Is it to be celebrating? Is it joyful?
Speaker 4: What the you know?
Speaker 3: And having that phrase mean different things at different points of the poem, that has sort of happened naturally. A big thing is just to get it written, though, don't think too much, because just get it out there, because I think I often am putting loads.
Speaker 2: Of pressure on myself.
Speaker 3: This next poem you write has to be as good as every other poem you've ever written, and every other poet that every other poet has written. And that's an impossibility. I think that when we just get something on paper, if the rhyme maybe isn't as strong as we want it to be, or the central theme isn't as you know things like they say, it is malleable.
Speaker 2: We can keep working, we can keep editing, we can keep changing things. So I think stopping before you've.
Speaker 3: Started is a common problem and something that I often do. And this is why I said that your line you came up with might not be the first line. I think a rookie way to begin is that I've got a great first line and then you've used up all your best ideas in your opening, Whereas to have that great line or important line to you as something that maybe you come to court the way through or maybe not even until the end of the pipe, gives you a place your heading.
Speaker 2: And that's really helpful. I think to almost work backwards to me, Like I know I want to say we are MUDs. I need to explain what that means. Crying cafe, crying cafe.
Speaker 3: Before I use the phrase crying cafe, I set up the premise of why crying is significant to me, so that journey is really really helpful. And again a big difference between poems that are only for the pages is if someone's got a book, they can really take their time with more enigmatic concepts, more lyrical themes. And if you're writing to be performed, I think I think we're looking for that immediacye which is which is helpful when we're creating helpful to be thinking?
Speaker 4: Does this?
Speaker 2: They can be extra layers.
Speaker 3: Oh, here's what I get from the poem on a first listen, Here's what you might not necessarily get to a fifth or sixth lesson listen.
Speaker 4: But again, like just an interruption, is rotum a word?
Speaker 2: Non?
Speaker 4: Can you use made up words or do they have to be actual words?
Speaker 3: You could bloat them, you could float them.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I don't think you want to float what I have.
Speaker 3: I think that consistency is important. So in answer to your question, can you use made up words only if you've used the early in the poem. This is why I said for the homework, come up with the theme the anchor, the compass. Even if you don't use that phrase repeatedly, even if you use it once in your head, it's been the thing that's grounded you, to stop you going off too much of a tangent. I think that being on topic is so important to a poem which is performed.
Speaker 2: Really crucial.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, well, I think I think I've come up with something.
Speaker 4: Really that is quick in my heart as well.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, why am I already shuddering at the thought what that might be?
Speaker 5: The fact I've actually to run something with. Yeah, so thank you for teaching me that lesson dumb.
Speaker 3: A joy, a joy, lots of information went in my brain.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is very good, oh now, but it's very true to me. All right, let's see, Okay, in springtimes, embrace you bloom so bright in tailored shirts of linen, a charming sight. Colours like petals, soft and sublime. But your gooch smells disgusting.
Speaker 4: Not yours.
Speaker 5: Summer's heat are fashion feet, shorts and shades and look so sweet. Some kissed alow in the warmest glow, but your gooch smells disgusting. Autumn leaves and hues of gold gray joggers are story unfolds style whispers through the crisp air, but your gooch smells disgusting. Winter's chill a fashion thrill, woolen scarves and jackets still snowflakes dance as elegance thrives.
Speaker 4: But your gooch smells disgusting.
Speaker 5: Through the seasons, you wear with grace, yet the truth remains a particular embrace. Your goot smells disgusting, but I do love the taste.
Speaker 2: Well, much like salt burn, there is a twist.
Speaker 4: A theme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, well you you did it, didn't you put the phrase in?
Speaker 2: You know that?
Speaker 3: That was quite literally a repetition of that That really helps hearing a poem.
Speaker 4: It was easier.
Speaker 3: That's funny, really, So that's that's my half asked attempt half what it's actually with some great poetry.
Speaker 4: Where are you going to be?
Speaker 3: Ah? Do you know what I'm not allowed to say. I'm not allowed to say, but teaser, trainer, teas trailer. I know last year, last year I didn't go twenty of the festivals.
Speaker 4: Okay, I am this.
Speaker 2: I'm not allowed to say which.
Speaker 3: In fact, some of them are penciled, but but one big one is exciting. So yeah, so I'm going to be so just check out my website, my name Dominic berry dot now. I'll update everything on there when I'm allowed to say.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we shall be following up. We'll be on social media posts why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the poet Dominic on Instagram.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure we will reshare when that announcement comes out as well.
Speaker 3: Well, that is almost the end of the show. Just remember to join us on our social media which is at the cud TV.
Speaker 4: Thank you for watching. I will see you all soon.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, thank like Tennisee