Speaker 1: You're watching Chewing the Cud with Mike, Benyon Rowe and Ben Smith. And then I felt it so like dribble down the side of my face. I opened my eye and it got in it burn and oh hello, well, welcome to Chewing the Cud. I'm again joined by the singing saxophonist extraordinaire that is Vnce Smith. Hello, Hi, Hi, love to be back. Good. I'm glad that you came back. We didn't have we didn't have to charge him or anything. That's true. I will expect parents later this week.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about a commerments of coin that looks slightly odd.
Speaker 1: And then we have our game to play in our Game of the week, and that's before vengeos is exactly what a top pop banger needs and teach me a lesson on screen. Now you can see all of our social media. Just search for at the Cud TV and as people who have.
Speaker 2: Popped up in our comments go along the bottom of the screen, it's time for Mike in the buzz.
Speaker 1: Going through customs. I'm assuming you've been through customs before. I have been through customs. Do you ever get the fear that they're going to stop you? Even if You've done nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, I'm always really, especially when you have to walk through the the thingy, you know, the body scanner. Yeah, and you're like, lam all was like, am I done?
Speaker 1: Am I? Okay? Am I? You know? Are you going to feel me up? And can you if I ask her just a me thing? Then okay. What's the fun thing to do those body scanners is if you wear she was saying, an intimate item of ring design out of silicon, it doesn't set off the things, but it shows up on a body scanner. So sorry, you have to explain that further. What's that on a cockrow? Well, it's a small silicone oh rubber thing right that you put around your penis and testicle shaft to make things more enjoyable. Show me no, I can show you a picture, but it will be mine. But yeah, bodies kind of they show up and they automatically say can you come this way please, sir, and they then do feel you up. From what I've heard speaking from many years experience and not even getting on a flight, well, this is a story about Calvin Bassus, a great name, who basically was asked whether he was smuggling anything in his pants because they saw the shape of his python. Shall we say, right, Okay, it was actually three pythons he was smuggling. It wasn't his penis. There was actually three snakes. He was going from Montreal to New York and he decided, I'm going to smuggle these two and a half thousand pounds sneak things dan his trousers.
Speaker 2: Awake, awake, wiggly, wriggling, alight snakes and the plane that was a film it was yeah, real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two and a half pounds per snake. And he thought the best way of getting them into the country was in his pants.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I feel like you wouldn't need to go through the scanner to see that something's going on downstairs or maybe it's okay, he's having a.
Speaker 1: He's having a great day. Was he wearing gray sweatpants? Will never know the question, but it's that it's three That's a lot to be smuggling in your pants. That is a lot to be I mean, smuggling anything in your pants. You know, that's brave. This feels very brave. Worldlinde. Stupidity or stupid, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, you know, I wonder I wonder what they see a customs. They must do some interesting things, but it's probably a more interesting.
Speaker 1: Day thinking my looks. Yeah, he needs a pat down while look at them snakes. Have they escaped in the airport? Still there? No? No, they were caught as they were getting in. They were taking quarantine and put away. Yeah. He was then sentenced to five years in three years in prison and a five thousand dollars fine for smuggling snakes. Hey, don't do that again. So if you are going to smuggle snakes, not dan you pants. My first tip and the second tip, don't smuggle snakes. That's hard to say that smuggle snakes. Smuggling snake now that I have been caught anyway, moving on quite quickly from nicknames drugs, we're not smuggling them, offering or talking about not offering unless you want to paracetamol. I could do you a line of a broken if you've got time. It's a story about a priest who has been arrested for selling drugs. Okay, okay, specifically two ti of drugs, one viagra mm hmm and the other m d m A okay, yeah, sliding scales, sliding scale him and his friend whom he lived with, were both arrested. So it's like we're not saying that he was the lover, but a friend that he lived with, because he's a Catholic priest, was basically selling. Was selling via grant legally out of his home which is attached to the church, via people knocking on and via post. Oh wow. So people would text him saying can you send me a VIAGRAA and he would send it through the post.
Speaker 2: You know, there's like there's levels of this business exactly he's thought about it.
Speaker 1: There's you know, when they went in and they went, Okay, you're selling viagra and I like going and you've also got two and a half keel as a coat of MDMA.
Speaker 2: Here that's m h less viagra, bit more's less Viagora.
Speaker 1: Did you ever watch White Lotus. I've not watched White Loaders.
Speaker 2: There's a scene in that or yeah, in the in the program where vagra and MM are.
Speaker 1: Mixed up to catastrophic mixed up in a pot or mix up as that.
Speaker 2: No, it's like somebody thought they were taking viagra but then they were given an M instead, so you know, very different ends.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, well I don't know. I mean they had a nice time, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, just a different experience from what they're expecting. So you know, all I'm saying, if I was to offer this price some advice, just be careful about labeling.
Speaker 1: I mean, viagra is a different shape to MDMA from my understand. Yes, I'll let you, I'll let you lead on from that. And yeah, if you know the difference between tablets and powders at the COTV on social media. And now we go over to our story of the week. Now, are you a driver? I am a driver.
Speaker 2: No car, no car can Okay, what's your most irritating traffic cause?
Speaker 1: Irritating traffic cause so you're stop stuck in traffic? Yeah, you find and it's like going, that's the one that irritates me the most.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's accidents, Yeah, I guess, I guess so that are like roadworks probably you know, something that's really just divert you in some ridiculous route that you can't get around.
Speaker 1: Road roadworks I'm okay with because they're trying to make the roads nico allegedly. But then it's the people have had accidents, but it's actually not that it's the people stopping to look at.
Speaker 2: The rubber rubber necking, So it's called stopping to look. It's really slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stopped looking, they're dead. Move on. I'm a joy in traffic okay, yeah, I'll avoid driving with you. Get a bit ragy now and again, Well, it's the story about people who were stuck in traffic behind two camels in London. So there were basically two people were riding camels. One was wearing a red packing the wall was gray. All right, so that's the the camel there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surrounded by people wearing masks and playing loud music in east to figure in east Ham, in eastern yeah, actually down Newham High Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I don't know, not on a camel, not in a camel, no any other dromedaries word. That's a good word. No, actually no, I wasn't offered such things. Have you been on the one four seven bus? Similar? Okay, because that's the one that was impacted. And this came about because basically they had camels, they were moving. They had to move them down the high street, so that's why they had to walk. But the interesting thing was that that bus behind them was filled with school kids and the reason why a bus full of school kids were like, oh, we got to stop behind some camels. Didn't go over very well, yeah, like come on, yeah, it's like, how are you all up with the same lie? Right? And it was only like the day after when it was in the news that the teachers.
Speaker 2: Went when they were believed, Oh, that detention shouldn't have happened, suspended all that.
Speaker 1: It's like, we've expelled all these children for throwing. Business has been canceled. No more camels. Christ we castled in March. We're really planning punishment. Now. There was some link in my brain to the kings and camels and Christmas. I don't know, I got it, but right, okay, right, Easter still going ahead, chockolate eggs, right, but in nine months you're going to be pissed off. But they are now stopped by a giant chicken. Mm hm. Then Eastern micro canceled. Okay, I don't know. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know what else is planned in Easter In terms of animals blocking busses rabbits?
Speaker 1: Is this a yearly event? Like? Can I get tick it gets to camel's walking? Just call them? Can I ride the camel. So they do actually sell camel rides, which is why they're moving them from one place to another and were in London or the camel rides not actually right, but like through London like this is a new tourist. Oh no, no, they had like a traveling fair kind of idea. Okay, so they had camels and they needed to move them from one location to that. It's very expensive to move things, so they just said they can walk, we can ride them good. You know, yes, what roads used to be for cameras they did, just not necessarily in this country, in London during the winter. We should we should change that, we should, I'd say camel ubers would now be a thing that yeah, that should be a thing. You know, we're getting very slow taxi or an uber.
Speaker 2: If you haven't got I mean, if they can stop traffic through and make the news, I'd say worth spending money on.
Speaker 1: You can probably walk it down the sidewalk, guitar work in the American company the pavement and not get pulled over. Quite possibly, Yes, some other things I've seen in that neck of the woods. Yeah, and then imagine being rear ended by a camel. But that's all from the buzz this week. Well, thank you for that camera based news. I enjoyed that. It's okay, our pleasure as always. But coming after this short break, it's vent and the show Business. You're watching in the cud with Ven and Mike. Now let's get ready for the show bus with then, so show business.
Speaker 2: There is a brand new coin in town. That's right, that has Are you into coins?
Speaker 1: No, well you should be. They are great. What are they great? Because they're around and they are money.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can spend this talk about it. But I do have a friend to collects coins. So if you're watching AUNT, this is specifically for you, I guess. So there is a new coin unveiled by the Mint which is a George Michael themed coin.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that is it. One of the snappy snaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah used, yeah, yeah, yeah, and people are unhappy. To be honest, that might have been better than what is actually on the coin, as you can see here. I mean, what is what is your impression of this image.
Speaker 1: Of the coin? It it looks like it that well. Yes.
Speaker 2: The reason why I don't want to say his name, his name is Robin Thick. Here is there because some people have been saying, does not look like George Michael, but in fact looks like Robin. I mean, I would say it kind of just I mean possibly, but it just is very good in general.
Speaker 1: No, it's got a hint towards George Michael.
Speaker 2: But it's not even just that. It's like the whole is the coin white itself. I just I don't know. It just feels like a bad design overall. I also, when I was looking at it before, I first thought that the bit behind was maybe supposed to be I was, I don't really know what'sto was maybe it's like a city scape, but as you have now realized, I think it's a neck of a guitar. And then those are supposed to be like sound waves.
Speaker 1: Oh right. I know he's a musician.
Speaker 2: He was a musician, and it's supposed to be related to Faith the song as well.
Speaker 1: So I guess that because that's like the wavefarm from Faith.
Speaker 2: Possibly that's cool, and I guess like the ear ring and that's what he was, But I don't know, it just.
Speaker 1: Doesn't work for me. It's a bit of a miss. It is a bit of a miss. I'm more excited about how do they get read onto a coin. Well exactly when did that start happening?
Speaker 2: And and yeah, so my question is I mean, I guess it's just a colectoy item. I don't think you can go to the shop and be like I would like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not upsetting me. Why would you not? What Michael coin right, because most of the coins that you can get so it's like the Paddington Bear fifty psm, they're actually fifty p so you can go out and spend them spendable. I mean that it cost you five pounds to get one, So why you do that? I wouldn't know. But it's actually fifty p But what if it's worth that's the question.
Speaker 2: Maybe even though it doesn't say it, maybe it's a bound fifty five p.
Speaker 1: The roment have just blurred the lines.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, Well it's all just a bit unfortunate, isn't It's very unfortunate? And who The thing with all this stuff is surely it has to it has to pass through quite a few people before they're like, yeah, we're we're totally happy of this.
Speaker 1: Everybody has said yes, George Michael's you know, like lots of people have got to approve it. Yeah, a few people for the coin, not some more.
Speaker 2: It's dirty, dirty money, but you know they all right. Moving on, So our next story is all about RuPaul.
Speaker 1: Oh, lovely, Lovely ru Paul.
Speaker 2: So, RuPaul has released a new memoir and in this has been quite open about addiction in the past, and which.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's maybe spoken about before.
Speaker 2: But perhaps maybe this is a bit more detail about all of this in the memoir, and so it's kind of been picked up by the media a little bit, and in particular sort of talking about buying a coke from this leaziest dealer in the House of Hidden Meanings, which is the name of the memoir. So I think they're for me. I don't know stories like this when they come out, I don't know. I quite I do quite like I think it can be sometimes can be quite inspirational in terms of like overcoming stuff and then seeing people where they are now and that you know.
Speaker 1: Things aren't always rosy.
Speaker 2: And Rupel's drag race Empire, you know there was a journey to get to that point. But how do you feel online journey and journey for RuPaul, how do you feel about that? Like in terms of celebrities, I guess in particular, but kind of sharing stuff like that from the past.
Speaker 1: I think it's always good when people can share best stories, especially about addiction and all the things that they've been through, because it kind of normalizes them a little bit. Because when you see RuPaul and the glamorous house and the big ranch that they've got and all.
Speaker 2: That sort of success and pracking huh crackinging?
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen.
Speaker 2: That that gone over the head that there's who was it Pepperin and Bob the drag Queen were talking about and he allegedly does fracking.
Speaker 1: There's a video of them laughing. Okay, okay, So I mean having been around for a lot of RuPaul's career, right back when RuPaul was Cupcake and part of the Club Kids, because I remember watching them on Ronaldo. That's how old I am. I've seen their career come along a long way. But you can definitely see in some of the earlier and some of the other clips that RuPaul had demons that they were fighting. But I think it's good that they're sharing and saying, look, this is what I've had to overcome, and that's the thing. And their partner was also George's it's also on f quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I think this is kind of part of that. And then the bit I'd read from the story kind of relates to that. How his partners, I guess in rehab at the time, but then we probably realized actually, oh I'm going through some stuff as well, and then needed to kind of get support.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think, like, I think it's it's.
Speaker 2: Good to share that because it might be quite helpful. And I think it's just in general, it's the whole thing around slept in Fame is that it's not it's not overnight, right, you know, it's all everybody is starting from somewhere and you know, quite often quite a lot of hard.
Speaker 1: Stuff before we getting to the.
Speaker 2: To the glam point in Kardashian, less your Kardashian you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about yourself? When's your memoir coming out? The Exploits of an Uninteresting Man already has a title, Yes, when coming out probably in about ten years post death. Okay, well, well we'll look forward to that. We're all looking forward to my death. Yeah, that's right. Thanks that. Moving on, it's not alive now, it's just towards the light, go towards the light right, all right.
Speaker 2: Moving on to somebody else who probably has a few memoirs, and it is there very much still with us and doing a stadium tour right now?
Speaker 1: Who am I talking about someone that's still with us in the stadium tour? Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift. Yeah, she's still there.
Speaker 2: But somebody, let's say, above the pop ladder and we're talking about Madonna.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's not still alive. She's been on an animatronic fu. I mean to prefair, that picture does look quite like it. That's that's a robot in a Madonna skin suit. But do people care they're paying the money to see her, stupidly playing the money to see her? You not, No, Well it's a lot of It's like five hundred pounds for a ticket. Yeah, I mean yeah, no, I wouldn't have. If someone gave me a ticket, I would go, oh yeah, someone gave me take it. That's a different matter. It needs to be from front as well, because I would go.
Speaker 2: To must things people give me a ticket. That's not just related to Madonna. How we got him here, gave him a ticket to the studio and he walked in. It was brilliant, you know, just fight me on the street. It was a raffle ticket. It wasn't even a ticket. It's like clock Room forty two. It came in not even a five or zero waiting for my prize. Listen, Well, the Madonna ticket will get you a full old shebang of a show, I imagine. But there's been a bit of controversy around the current Stadium.
Speaker 1: Tour where as part of it there is kind of a montage, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, which is dedicated to people who have died of AIDS. And in this there's been a bit of a blunder because Luther van Ross has appeared on this, and so there's been some backlash because Luther van Ross did not have AIDS, does not die of it, and was never officially not that this is actually necessarily the same thing, but and I guess was never officially out in life. So there's been a bit of a backlash around this, and again kind of similar to the coin situation. I thought immediately was like, again, how many people not passing through? But how many people have? How I had to look over this, how many people did loop of Van Ross go through? How many people have said, yes, we're absolutely fond of this visual whatever, and there's no problems here. It's got to the point where you know it's in a show. And then I guess somebody's been like, hold on a minute. Although I have to say if I was part of the team, I don't know if I want to knock on Madonna's door and be like, sorry, just just let you know you've got this a little bit wrong.
Speaker 1: So it's from what I'm saying this, there's a big tableaus that come from the ceiling behind Madonna. Do you want to know? Just don't put the picture in? Yeah, don't tell. I mean, yeah, how much is she actually involved in any of that? How much is she conscious? Right now? Is an animatronic robot in a Madonna's skin suit? She doesn't care? This is live now. Actually it sounds yeah. She just did some new batteries, the Energizer Bunny Madonna.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, Madonna, that's all we have for you on the show business.
Speaker 1: That's always interesting to know that basically Madonna's dead. We'll stick around because coming up next we have an and the game of the week. You're watching you in the cud. Now. We spent some time cramming last week, but as we aren't quite done, and we're going to quiz each other on l g B t q I A factoids as we play gay or Ney. So then it's off for you to pop off again. Off, I pop off your pop. Okay, pop pop, I go again O week So same game as last week. Okay, we've got questions. We're going to quiz each other to make sure we've got our l g B t q I A plus history down as it were. Are you ready, young man? I am ready. He's all man. We made sure of that isn't my dating profile. It was said for a US presidency candidate when it asked their son was gay? Which president was that? Hmmm, he wasn't Orange. He wasn't Orange, wasn't Orange Clinton? Clinton has a daughter? Great? Yeah, it was Ronald Reagan, lovely friend of thatcher Ronald Reagan. Yes, actor Ronald Reagan basically was saying about whether his son was gay or not. Short it turned out.
Speaker 2: His son was, well, you know, stranger things have happened, but it helps to be all mad gay. How did the test just saying testes, testes, That's where it comes from it to say.
Speaker 1: Ready for me? I am ready for you? Great. I feel like I'm just not doing very well. Knowledge. These are quite you know, there's some challenges in here, I say, definitely some challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But this one's about the Kinsey scale. I would say arguably everybody's favorite type of scale. On that scale, what number represents someone who only has romantic feelings for the same sex?
Speaker 1: Looking for a number on that scale? Romantic feeling? Romantic feelings, yes, as in you want to take them out for dinner or you want to eat them out. I don't know, depends how romantic you are in your dates. It's a strong word what I do.
Speaker 2: So you're after a number, I'm after a number, yes, please seventeen. No, I mean I actually don't know the number is that we're going from the scale if it did not research properly before this. But we're looking for the number six. So you know that is not the number that you said, So.
Speaker 1: You're wrong, Like the musical six, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, Like the musical six, that's right. On a scale, I can tell you a little bit more of you're interested. Absolute heterosexuality is zero, an absolute homosexuality is six.
Speaker 1: So you know this is the top of the scale. Six six is the top. Yeah, that's right. Six is the top? How do you feel about that? Definitely not six. So that's that's a really short scale. It is a short scale. Heterosexuality is zero. There's not much wriggle room. The bisexuality is about a what three? Two? Yeah? Or is it you're just going zero? Zero point zero one? No longer? That's right? So zero to sixty and three point five leanna, all right, so if you want me to shut up, dear right, okay, moving on in nineteen nineteen. In fifteen thirty three, King Henry the Eighth created the Buggery Act, which was not oh it was a penalty, okay, which was a crime in England. I thought it was an act of boger. I was like, going, well done you, King Henry the Eighth, thank you very much. Love. They've been doing it before. What was the penalty foresaid act for buggery? Just say buggery again? Buy, I don't know what it is buggery in a Scottish Actince sounds like a lovely word, buggery, ugury? Have you ever buggered? No? Have I been? Personal question? Answered just right? What was was the question? Who am I? What are we doing? Bugger? Penalty for taking up the rogan from King the right to become one of his sex slaves. The way you read that, it was like watching the news slightly wrong. No, death was the answer.
Speaker 2: Wow, whether you were topping or bottomy, so what either?
Speaker 1: So everybody verse was screwed. Really gosh. But it's because in Rome, on the Vatican State even they used to use something called the Pope's pair, which was basically a boot plug mm. They used to pop inside you and then turn it and it'd expand and rip you asunder. Yeah, so it's it's basically extreme fisting. It's just like a Saturday well once a month. Maybe no one needs that much fiber in the diet. Have you got one for me? Now? Right? I do. Now I'm looking for another number here.
Speaker 2: I know you like those sixty nine correct, great, there, but there may well have been some sixty nine's in this situation. How many men were in the elite homosexual group of soldiers. I know you're getting excited formed by Gorgodas in three seven eight BCE, although it'll be dead now.
Speaker 1: I was packing their bags, I was booking holiday. Where's gorged as I'm going? Exactly where is that? I'm not sure? How many? How many men elite homosexual groups. How many men in a group? Buggery, lougery? It does it sounds like a food substance. I'm sorry I did with buggery. It's in the thebes, thiebes, thebes, as in Gypsy's Champson.
Speaker 2: Yep see possibly the Roman Empire somewhere, says a voice in my ear.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking, what's the sensible number of honey men all together? And then doubling it?
Speaker 2: So eight hundred and nineteen okay, specific I feel like you've thought about this number before, But.
Speaker 1: How did I double it again? Add number?
Speaker 2: There's the question unfortunately not that many, but also still sizable. You know, might entertain you for a weekend, perhaps three hundred One night.
Speaker 1: You said the weekend, just the weekend? What weekend? Let's not work on the slightly answer and they here? Okay, moving on? When was the do you know when the first game has been marched? Was in Washington? What do you mean? Washington State, Washington DC, Washington d C. I'm gonna say so nineteen.
Speaker 2: Seventy eight, Oh my god, eight, I was wrong as nineteen sixty five. I actually legitimately got excited there and thought I wondered why I was moving forward with my life and things hadn't been erased, and that you know, existence had meaning. So your next question is Dr Tom Waddle, a member of the nineteen sixty eight Olympic team, started the Gay Games, which is an international sporting event held every four years. Originally it was to be called the Gay Olympics, but the name was changed for which reason.
Speaker 1: The Olympic Committee didn't like reminding people that the Olympics were originally all men were around naked.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I mean that is quite a plausible answer, but.
Speaker 1: Not the one. I'll be right.
Speaker 2: Infringement now, although not that far off, really the answer, unless you'd like to take any other guesses.
Speaker 1: They were scared that the javelin throwers would be excited. I don't know, you're still thinking about those three hundred soldiers.
Speaker 2: So the United States Olympic Committee requested a federal injunction against using the name Olympic for this group. So they were just being a bit pretty and rubbish abo using the name.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: One wonders why the USC never brought up these of the term One wonders, I wonder or whoever wrote this.
Speaker 3: One one does wonder why one does wonder actually why they've not stopped the use of Olympics when it comes to, for example, dog Olympics, police Olympics, nude Olympics.
Speaker 1: First of all, I did not know there was a newtles to you and I sat here overb watching the nood Olympics. Have you been in it? No? No, no, no, no. One wants to see this, dude. The dog Olympics is and other options. I could say, I blindfollowed myself come out of the shower, just in case.
Speaker 2: Well, those Olympics exist it maybe for another year, four years training stick around.
Speaker 1: Whose coming up next? We're going to get taught some things in it. Teach me a lesson. Welcome back to you in the CUD. Now we're going to learn exactly how we produce a song worthy of Eurovision. As we talked to then in teach me a lesson the song smith ory Hm, I believe that's a word. That's right. It's our last name, song smith Rye is songsmith ry shortened to smith exactly. I'm a smith, a smith of songs. Yes, lovely, so quite recently you have been involved with the Eurovision, that is right. Yeah, it was very exciting, totally what happened. How did you get involved? Oh, well, it all began so there.
Speaker 2: Well, Eurovision has always been something that I've watched in so as kids, so and I kind of love it, love to hate it, but also love to love it.
Speaker 1: Particularly I just love it. Not even that much of a secret.
Speaker 2: But the small country of sam Marino, which is like a landlocked country in Italy because they're so small, they open up the applications for any musicians across the world to take part in their own competition to then represent the country in Eurovision. So I entered this and then I could have and think much more about it. And then but got through to the first round, which is very exciting. So I had to do an online edition back at the start of this year of my own tunes, and then just before I moved to Manchester, then I got word that I was through to the semi finals, so I had to go to their live TV show in San Marino was it wasn't live then, but it was recorded, and then the finals live.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Then within a week I had to get a whole new song together again an outfit.
Speaker 1: Together of which this is actually a part of.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, fly to Italy. Then get myself to sam Reno and take part in the competition. So it was but yeah, what an amazing experience. Kind of like absolutely bonkers, as you might expect anything Eurovision adjacent to be, but yeah, like a really really amazing thing to be part of.
Speaker 1: Cool. So you said, you apply, How do you apply? How do you find out how to apply?
Speaker 2: So I'd originally heard about it through another artist in London. I was living at London time and he had been it, so he's called Aaron Sibley, and so it was on my radar, this is something that you could maybe do. And then they just opened at some point they opened up like an application format and literally anybody can can reply to it. You have to submit your songs and then that go through a panel. So yeah, I was just like, well, you know, why not that could be kind of fun. And then so in this so when I got through to semifinals, I was by that point I was the only UK representative still in the competition, which is quite cool, and I went so I very much went UK, but also I was going with this being Scottish thing as well, so.
Speaker 1: That I had the kill on I imaginally let I got quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Of Scottish press for being in the competition as well, which is kind of lovely, which I hadn't expected at all.
Speaker 1: So it's like one of these things. I think people.
Speaker 2: Maybe like make fun of your vision, but actually if there's like maybe an element of somebody I don't know, somehow getting through that might represent you, then.
Speaker 1: Everyone's can lay, Oh that's amazing, that's fun.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I went through, I got got a new song together for it, and then did the competition. Unfortunately didn't make it to the finals. But hey, I was actually I surprised myself at how gutted I was.
Speaker 1: I was there.
Speaker 2: I was like, do you know, actually I really would love this, But it's fine. It's kind of spurred me on. I'm now like, in the back of my mind, maybe there's still away from me to get into your vision somehow, even if it's like being a songwriter or working with some other people. So my next Eurovision plan is that I work with some artists in different countries, so a lot of them have their own competitions to find the representative for the country before the final thing, not like the UK who just pays some money and gets in. You know, a lot of them work their way into that Eurovision place. So I'm gonna try and collaborate with some other artists in different countries.
Speaker 1: Cool. So you said you put the song together specifically for your vision. How did you come up with the idea for that? How did you quote with that song idea? So quickly?
Speaker 2: I had some songs like working like in my demo folder that we were just never recorded and hadn't been released yet, so I knew that was going to be one of those. So I did already have like an idea of a song kind of sitting there. And then I have a producer that I worked with, and I was like, hey, so we have a week. Can we produce the song and make it like a Eurovision worthy thing? And so there's quite there's like some specifications well as well for Eurovision song. It's probably the same for most countries, but for Sam Reno, so three minutes is the maximum. So we're talking you know, pop in the sort of quick quick pop world and three minutes being maximum, So you're really got to get in there with your idea and your hooks and your churus. It's going to be pretty much like wham bam, this is the song. You know, no messing around, wham bam, I just boom, bang and bang went in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well exactly, so that's very your vision. But yeah, okay, cool. So you already had this idea of a song that you wanted to put together, watch the producer, you went over there and performed it. And when you when you performing in front of a staged audience or live audience, what's that like?
Speaker 2: M Well, I think that for your vision as well, Like it's it isn't just music. Some would argue sometimes it's not music, but like a bigger part of the thing is that, I guess the TV program essentially as well. So like the visual in the staging is as much a part of a Eurovision song and performance as anything else.
Speaker 1: I think the magic could.
Speaker 2: Comes when you, you know, you get a legitimately good song that meets with like some pretty cool staging and well fought out stuff, even if it's absolutely bonkers, but like when it kind of comes together, that's when you can kind of get some magical Eurovision moments.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 2: In either way, but you know, often, I mean you'll often think if you think about Eurovision for me anyway, you sometimes probably think more about the visual and the staging than actually the songs themselves. So I guess that was that was my initial thought, is like, Okay, this is a song, but how am I going to like present myself and do it?
Speaker 1: So so yeah.
Speaker 2: So the outfit was part of it, so that the kill is something I performed anyway, So I was like, okay, I need to go of this. I need to kind of get some other bits and bobs go the color themes of purple being my my theme. And so the song that I wrote is called Jumper, so I was like, I need to have a jumper. So the idea, it's kind of like a queer love song. Essentially, an idea is in the chorus. It's like it's kind of like a sweet sentiment. But I so I want to wear your jumper? Is that idea?
Speaker 1: It's like I wrote it after watching Heart Stopper? Did you ever watch so?
Speaker 2: I binge watched like the second series of that after coming back from music festival. I was already quite tired and emotional anyway, then watch that and I was like, oh, exactly, and then wrote this song and I was kinda like, you know, imagine if I was a teenager now, like being able to actually have like a boyfriend when I was a teenager and learning a lot of those hard lessons about love at that time. So it's kind of it came from that angle of like sort of almost like I wish I'd been able to do all those things that you might have done when you're a teenager exploring love, but I couldn't necessarily do when I was that.
Speaker 1: Obviously a passion for Eurovision, I mean obviously from the jumper as well, with the hearts of the Eurovision so much. The Gallery of even made sure that we've got the Eurovision logo flying up in the back of the show here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's beul it's a choice.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, hearts are you know, hearts are the things that's for a big thing, especially for Eurovision. And you said that, you know, in the future you'd like to work with collaborations and stuff with other people. What do you think of this year's UK entry?
Speaker 2: So I actually was just listening and watching the video before I came to see you.
Speaker 1: So I I think it's it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think as in terms of the history of UK entries, go, I think it's pretty good. Song and it's likely Aside from your vision, I think it's pretty good pop pop song, Cyndi pop. It's all the kind of things that I can love in pop music anyway, And I think all the Alexander is like a very great performer, likable performer, So I think it's potential to do well. I don't think it's a winner, but I think I'll do pretty well. Like the music video stuff so well, it's quite cool, like quite so be interesting to see what the actual staging is of the show in itself. I think in some ways though, like that almost is maybe a bit of a hurdle that when you get straight you have to go straight into the final. You don't get the chance to kind of test things out in like the semi finals and kind of learn and grow.
Speaker 1: So you can just have to come in. But yeah, I like it. How what do you feel about it? So? Okay, song, it's it's very much. It's all the Alexander, and I love all of Alexander for all their political messages as well as the music. It's just very much. Is it a standout? I don't think. I don't think we're gonna win. Oh no, I wouldn't. I think this is. It's definitely not Katrina energy. It's not to that level. And we keep irritating the rest of Europe. So that's why we're never actually going to win. But maybe they'll let you keep Ukraine win again. I mean quite possibly two albums this year exactly. But yeah, So that Eurovision hit that you've made, what's going to happen with it? Thank you for calling it hit? You're gonna put it in the bin.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to come out. So I'm going to release it in April. So I because it all happened so quickly. All I had together is basically backing track, so I need to now finish like the main vocals. And I play saxophone as well, so I've got that on on there. So I'm gonna get all that tidied up and then we'll release it in in April as a fun little.
Speaker 1: Thing that happened because of your vision. So cool. On what's the song called Someone's called Jumper?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what you've got to watch over And where will it be available? Will be available on all your usual streaming services Spotify, Apple, et cetera. Whatever. Listen to your music wonderful, perfect and if we wanted to reach out and grab you on the social media is how could we do that? Sure, please do reach out and grab me. I'm the only fans link for.
Speaker 2: You can grab me at Ven Smith on all the socials and on Spotify, et cetera. So it's ve double N like event diagram I'd like to describe it as, and then Smith with a Y.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. You are very welcome. So that is almost the end of the show.
Speaker 2: Just remember to join us on our social media here at the cud TV.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching. How We'll see you all soon. Bye, goodbye,