Speaker 1: So we go a little bit farther. He comes back over to me and he says, somebody's over there and they're talking. Then I stop and I started looking around again. I look at him. I said, well, there's no way there's people up here, and he goes, yeah, I know, and then he goes and there's somebody over there too, and you can hear it in the distance. It's like you know when you can hear somebody talking but you can't hear what they're saying. And I can't make out any words, but it's like, yeah, that's definitely talking. So I'm starting to get creeped out because it's on both sides of us. We can't see it. Whatever it is, it's talking, and we're both thinking what we're thinking.
Speaker 2: You know, this is Bigfoot Crossroads. My name is Matt and i'd like to welcome James to the show. James, thanks again for joining me. Man, we've kind of already gotten started, so I guess just go on and tell me the story that you were about to tell.
Speaker 1: I guess a good place to start. That's kind of where we were headed. Was I live in a little town house kind of on the edge of the city, on the north side of a river, the Scadget River, and I'm surrounded by trees, woods.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: The whole area here is just like immense wilderness with a little town thrown in the middle of it. And so I guess the story that we were heading at was. I come out. I come out of my house one night, and I'd been smoking fish. I do a lot of fishing in the fall. Caught a bunch of co host silver salmon in the river. And my smoker had been running twenty four hours a day, seven days a week for I don't know, maybe a couple of weeks at that point. And so I come out my back door, down the stairs, out into the garage and I'm doing chips, soaking chips for the smoker. I get the chips out, drain them, start swapping. I hear all this noise outside. And I had this crazy neighbor across the street, and he'd get up in the middle of the night, two o'clock in the morning and chop a wood on his front porch, throw the garage door open, and sitting there and mess with his car of his engine. You know, just all kinds of noise, all kinds of crazy stuff all the time. Uh and uh, so I just figured, well, it's my neighbor across the street, you know. And so this noise goes on for a while and I thought, I got to go out and see what's going on. And I walk out and uh, look down the look down the street at his house and there's no lights on, garage, doors closed, everything, It's just dead quiet down the street. And I thought, Wow, that's weird, wor where's all that noise coming from? And then I realized, because we're up against the side of this hill, the noise is echoing off the side of the hill and making it sound like it's coming from his house, but it's out in the woods. And I'm like, I was like, that's just crazy. I mean, it was like, yeah, I thought he was on his porch. Chop in wood is what I thought. And I thought, oh, I'm going to run inside the house, grab the flashlight. And I've got this big shape like the old mag flashlights, you know, big long flash it's led and it's super super bright. And so I grabbed the flashlight, go out and I shine. I start shining it around in the woods trying to figure out where this noise is coming from and I see this, this pair of eyes looking at me, and it kind of they're staring straight at me, and then they kind of dip down and turn to look away. And I thought, well, that's kind of weird, because you know, I see elk, bears, all kinds of stuff out in the woods out there all the time. Uh, and these eyes were they were totally different. And it was two eyes that were looking at me with the light reflecting on them, and as the head dip down and turn and it was like both eyes kind of disappeared at the same time. Where when you're looking at an elk or a deer or something to that effect, you know you're going to lose visual within the reflection out of one eye, and then you're going to lose the reflection out of the other eye, right because they got you know, the big head the eyes around this. So I thought, well, this is like some kind of predator. I turned, I turned the light off, the flashlight up, and I wait a second, and I turn it back on and I and I look and it's staring right straight at me again. And I thought, and it did the same thing, kind of dropped his head down and turned and I thought, ow. I stepped back a little bit and I look at the house. The bedroom window upstairs is open, and my son's upstairs, and I hollered him. I said, hey, hey, come out here, you know, and it's the middle of the night on a weekend. I'm hollering. He thinks something's wrong, you know, or something comes round I did while something kind of was. He comes running down and he goes, what's going on? What's going on? I said, hey, look out here, and I kind of gave him the layout, you know, because he could kind of see some of the trees out in the woods. I said, look between these two trees, only look way off at the base of that big cedar tree out there. I'm going to turn the flashlight on. Tell me what you see. And I turned the flashlight on and you could see he did it again, pretty much exactly the same thing. Is looking right at us and drops his head, turns his eyes away, and I turned the flashlight off and I said, what did you see it? And he says, well, I see the eyes staring at me. And I was like yeah, and he goes, yeah, they're awfully, awfully tall. And we staid there for a second, I turned the lights back on again. He's seen it, and then kind of went through the whole thing again. Then my wife comes out the back door and she kind of you know, what are you guys doing? What are you guys doing? And I told her about it, and Nate's all excited, you know, my son, he's all excited stuff. And and she goes, well, are you going to go out there and see what it is? And I said, no, wait until morning. Because it's like when animals when you when you look at their eyes and you get the light reflecting off of them, they're usually a blue green And I mean, it's it's I've got to I've hunted my whole life and living up here and and stuff. I've hunted pretty much every animal on on the continent that people hunt, you know, except for moose. I've never gone up to Cannon and hunted moose. But seeing the eyes, they always give off this green blue tint to them, you know, and these it they were totally different. Looking at the eyes that were reflecting back at that at first they had they had this real funny reflection to them that I'm going to equate to a brown red color. It's kind of an orange brown red color. Not not the color of any eyes that I've ever seen on anything, right, you know, you know, right outside my back door. But we've had we've had other Well, I went out the next day. I'll keep going with that story before I changed focus. We go out the next day and we're we walk out there and look around and can't find any olk prints. I can't find any deer prints, nothing. Can't find any footprints or anything. The only thing that we could find was a log that was kind of nearby, and it had some moss knocked off of it, like something had stepped over the top or stepped on it or something. But I reached up to the branch that the eyes were looking over the top of and didn't quite have to fully extend my arm, but reached up and put my hand on that branch. And I mean, I'm not a big tall guy. I'm five foot nine and so reaching up, I'm gonna say it was looking over a branch that was six and a half seven feet high.
Speaker 2: I mean that's pretty up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we've had things moving through the woods behind the house where I've never seen them before. But the dogs freak out and the dogs all around. It's like when there's something around, they do the you know, the bark, like you know, there's a bear, you know whatever out in the woods and they'll bark at it and stuff. Well, from the end of the valley where we're at kind of where we live at, there's dogs all around up across the top of the hill and stuff at different houses. And one night the dog started barking. They were doing this whimpery bark like they were scared. It was a totally different bark, and it kind of it kind of traveled along. It's like these dogs over here start barking, and then these dogs are over here, and then it kind of traveled along and that that happens a few times here and there, which is kind of kind of odd, you know, at the house.
Speaker 2: That's pretty funny. That's actually one of the first conversations I remember having with the Browns, which you interviewed with you know them, we're mutual friends, was we were talking about mapping their movements around their property based on the dogs barking, because like you're talking about, as they'll travel through the area, you know, the first set of dogs that they run across will start barking, then the next and so on and so forth, and you can kind of tell at least the direction that they're moving by the reaction of the dogs. Right, Yeah, Have you noticed anything like missing around your property? Do they take anything or go through trash cans or anything like that?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. They might have been, you know, we really don't have a problem with trash cans or anything with any of the animals, even the bears. There's only been one year that we really had problems with the trash cans with the bears, even But it's not just it's not just around the house. I mean, that's just kind of that's the story that was the closest to my house, right you know. But yeah, I mean people around here they don't really talk about it, but there's several people we've got. We've got a guy in town that used to be kind of a big foot chaser kind of guy, and I think he still takes reports once in a while. I told him that story years ago. I told him that story when it happened. Probably that was probably, oh, I don't know, that one wasn't that long ago. I guess it was probably five, maybe six years ago.
Speaker 2: So when did this whole bigfoot thing really start for you?
Speaker 1: I guess as a kid running around in the woods and stuff I spent. I grew up more down towards more down towards the city, and moved around quite a bit as a kid, so i'd come, i'd stay with my grandparents and stuff off and on. Most of the summers are spent with my grandparents, and so I'd spent a lot of time out in the woods. And then I grew up kind of near Vancouver, Washington. We lived down there for a while, and so I had some I don't know, some odd things as a kid happening in the woods, but you know, I didn't really relate it to anything, and I guess I don't have any real big stories about that. I think the first, the first real incident that I can say, oh, gee, this is like a bigfoot thing was I was in an area up above Index, which is off of Highway to in Washington, little town called Index, and you go up into the mountains to the north of the town and there's an area they call it Jack's Pass, and it's a dirt road and you cut off on one of the spur roads and you go up that road and there's this really neat waterfall. I think they call it Deer Falls or Deer Creek Falls or something. I can't remember the name of it. This would have been back early nineties, and went out black powder hunting most of these most things happen, seems to be when I'm out hunting, and with a couple of buddies of mine. This was probably early nineties. So we drove in hike down to this spot, went hunting for the day, out and about and all of that, and came back, set up a little camp more like a cowboy camp, no tents or anything, you know, just kinda set up and spent the night by this waterfall. In the morning, when it started getting light out, the sun's hitting the hillside, these rocks start falling off the hillside, and you know, we just kind of attributed it to you know, like you get the frost and heating up and the expansion of the rocks and all of that, rocks are falling off the hillside, so we kind of didn't kind of blew it off. And so we're sitting there making coffee, cooking breakfast, you know, kind of banner around with each other, you know, the typical guy stuff in the morning, and these rocks keep coming down the hillside, and then all of a sudden, one splashes in the middle of the pool, at the bottom of the bottom of the waterfall, and it's like we all kind of look at each other, and then we sit there and then we're quiet. We're sitting there watching and right out of the woodline comes one it's probably the size of a large grapefruit, comes flying out of the woodline, clears everything, and splashes into the water again. And then we're all like and kind of freaking out. One of my buddies was like, oh, it's bigfoot, you know, yeah, you know. And so, I mean, we all kind of came to that consensus. We didn't see anything. There weren't any roars, there was no crazy banging bushes, breaking trees, no nothing. Probably I think maybe three four more rocks came out, and then we just decided, well, we're probably not going to go hunting today, you know, I mean, because realistically, I mean, we all had handguns with us and stuff too, but I mean our hunting equipment were black powdered rifles, and yeah, I don't yeah, I wasn't going to go out the woods running around with black pottered rifles with something that was throwing rocks that big off the hill.
Speaker 2: I mean, whenever you're faced with that situation, Yeah, I think the most logical conclusion to reach is it's time to retreat. Yeah, that ain't people. And if it is, for some reason, people, they're clearly you know, they're throwing rocks at a group of armed men. Yeah, then you probably don't want to tangle with them anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm probably not, you know, I mean by that point, I mean I'd spent I served in the army for thirty years, and at that point, I been in the army for ten, probably twelve years, and I'd come back home, you know, whenever i'd have leave or i'd you know, have some kind of break or something, and I'd come home go hunting. And then since since I retired, I've had a lot of my buddies coming up here, and you know, they they come up and we go hunting or go fishing, or go do something, you know, because they like the quiet, the being away from the city, the all the stuff. Some downtime, you know, some real relaxing downtime and We've got some pretty nice lakes up here, and so I've got a couple of jet skis. We go up jet ski and play on the boats, go fishing, camp out, do you know, depending on whatever time of year it is, you know. So it's kind of like it's kind of like a chill spot vacation place to online for some of my buddies.
Speaker 2: You know, until grapefruit sized rocks start getting thrown at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was. That was That's got to be. That's got to be about sixty miles maybe give or take south of where I'm at here, you know, so it's a lot different part of the state. Well, it's not different, it's just farther south. The mountains are a little more rugged up here where I'm at. So to give to throw it into context to where I'm at, it's I'm I'm in a little town along Highway twenty North Cascades in Washington, and from Highway twenty it's you go all the way up through thousands. Probably it's gonna be it's gonna be sixty miles I think up to the next major highway going north and then any road that you're going to cross if you come out of my town and you go straight north, the only roads that you're going to cross after you cross Highway are gonna be dirt logging roads. Until you're well into Canada, there's there's nothing that you're going to cross. And going to the west of US, the little cities get progressively progressively larger. They're not huge, no major cities up here, kind of where I'm at Bellingham up to the north north of US, but going going to the east side, it's, uh, you're going to be one hundred miles before you get to another town that's at least as big as mine, and that'd be Winthrop. To the east, and on the south side of US, there's just it's just wilderness. I mean we're up in the Cascade Mountain Range and it's uh, it's just there's literally millions of acres of land that have no houses, no development, no nothing. It's just straight up wilderness land. If you look on a map, Google Earth or something, it's just wide open for just just miles, I mean literally millions of acres of land.
Speaker 2: That kind of expanse is just crazy for me to think about even now. I mean, I know it's there, you know, we all know it's there, but we get so caught up. I see people on the internet, especially, you know, talking about you know, the population is much too large. There's no way these things could remain hidden. But I don't think people really understand how just wild and remote a lot of the United States still is. Yeah, I mean most people live in the cities, you know, and the towns and everything, but in between all those places is just wilderness.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm in northeastern Oklahoma, and if I drive for an hour and a half or so west, I hit Oklahoma City, you know, the largest city in the state. If I go south for four hours, I'm in the middle of downtown Dallas, you know. But out there you're just in the forest in the mountains. There's nothing out there.
Speaker 1: I mean you really have to just like get on a map or Google Earth does it the best because you can kind of zoom in and look at the highways and stuff and see what's along them. And then as you zoom out, you start realizing the massive expanse that there is with nothing here, I mean nothing, It's just immense. And the people talk about the Rocky Mountains and and all of that, Well, the Rocky Mountains are cool, but they're they're high, and they're gradually high above sea level, and they're not nearly as rugged as the mountains up here. The North Cascades are like the they're like the Alps. They're they're rugged, uh sharp steep peaks, and it's uh, it's it's a whole different mountain range. It's hard to get into the woods. You know, you're going to follow a You're gonna have to follow a creek or a river or something to travel off into the woods. And there's there's there's some trails in here, and you know, the Pacific Crestrail runs through from Canada down, but that's that's ways to the east of US. But I mean, you're going to get on that from a highway and then you're gonna go you're going to go from basically up here Highway twenty. You're going to go south. If you're going south, you're going to go to highway too. So you're going to go sixty miles overland with nothing in between. And then from there you're going to go overland again down to A ninety, which is going to be another forty to fifty miles with nothing. I mean, it's just the wilderness is just vast, and it's thick, and it's full of it's full of stuff. These these high valleys are loaded with blueberries up here, just loaded with them in the summer, in the fall, and the fish in the river. I mean, I took I took my wife one year. She's never been much of a fisherman. She's like, well, she finally wanted to go fish the river with me, you know, and stuff. And so I took her to the spot one year and we stood up up on this high bank and I and I pointed down to the river to her. I said, hey, I said, what do you see down there? And she goes the bottom of the river. I said, yeah, I said, well, what are you see? And she goes a bunch of rocks and I go, you need to look a little closer, look at those rocks. And she's looking down there and she goes, oh my god, I can't see the bottom of the river. She says, things that I thought were rocks were salmon.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know. So there's plenty for them to eat. The berries, the blackberries, the salmon berries, the huckleberries, the blueberries. The I mean, there's just tons of stuff and then there's different types of ferns and things and stuff. So I mean, if you're sticking to a vegetarian diet, you're and you're actually good at foraging, you're not going to starve to death. Then then you start getting into the into the other game, the deer, the rabbits, the grouse, the all of that. I mean, yeah, it's pretty pretty extensive.
Speaker 2: Is this a place that you had been to before previously for hunting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was a spot that we'd go to. I mean I took my wife there and showed her this beautiful waterfall. You know, this was years later. I took her there and showed her the waterfall and stuff. And I've never had any other experiences around there, particularly at that spot. But I mean we've had some. We've had some pretty good ones. I guess. The one, the one that Sarah called about or that I we got in touch about, was we had this this encounter up here at this little lake. And uh, it's it's a spot where my wife had been camping for years as she grew up. And it's a little place they call it Depression Lake. They used to stock it with fish for the kids to make it a spot can take kids and they'd catch fish pretty easily. And a lot of people used to go up there and camp. It was free camping, kind of disperse camping like BLM camp type stuff. And there were a bunch of people camped up there, and we went up for a weekend and thought, you know, so did the regular camping thing. Took the kids out fishing for the day, sat around the fire at night, all of that went to bed and in the motor room. We had our motor room up there. And I'm like I said, I was in the army, I served thirty years. I've got PTSD issues. I don't want to go down that road too far, but I get nightmares and stuff. And so I'm laying there sleeping and I'm trying to blow off this nightmare that I've gotten go back to sleep, and then my wife starts poking at me, and I start realizing, well, I'm not having a nightmare. All of this noise and all of this stuff going on is is real. It's happening in the real world. I'm actually awake, and my wife's pushing on me, and she says, since you hear that, I said, yeah. We sat there and listened to it, and it was it was so loud. We're we're inside the motor home and it's a a permeating noise. I mean, you can you can feel the sound of these things on the hill right behind where we're camped, and it's going and it's just it's cora. It's just crazy. I mean, I've heard I've heard cougar's fighting, which is probably the second craziest scariest type noise that I've heard out the woods, tungers fighting, bears, you know, all all of that. This thing was so it was so deep, it was it was like you you've felt the sound in your body and it's like all my hair started standing up. And I was just like, I can't I can't place and couldn't place the noise. Can't place the noise to any kind of and it was it was angry, loud, violent, just overwhelming and uh uh, my wife. That's when my wife says, uh, it's it stopped. And as it stopped, all the coyotes there's all kinds of coyotes were going off and stuff. And that's when my wife says to me, we we we don't belong here. We got to go and uh I And I said to her, and I'm being the the consummate smart ass that I am. I mean, it's just up. I looked at her and I said, all right, honey, I said, I'll start the motor home and you run outside and grabbed the lawn chairs, right. And she looks at me in total fear and says, I'm not going out there, and I said either the am I and uh so we we didn't go out. But there's all these other campers out there, and they start lights are coming on, cars, trucks are starting up. It. Uh. People were just at that point, it was like people intents were packing up to leave. Wow. Uh, it was crazy bye bye probably And this was probably three o'clock in the morning. By seven o'clock in the morning there was there There were us, another guy in a camp or with his three dogs. And then on the other end of the campground there was a gal who'd camped in a tent with her three kids. And I didn't I didn't know any of this until the next day when we talked to her. She camped there with her three kids, and her husband worked the night shift at a place down in town, and so they'd stay up there. He'd come up for the day, spend the whole day up there. Then he'd go work from midnight until like, I don't know, eight o'clock in the morning, and then he'd come back sleep for a couple hours. And then so they were doing that, they'd been camping up there for a week. Oh wow, was all alone in the tent with those kids. Well, all of that was going on. And the next morning she comes walking over and she's walking along the road and she's real meek, and she goes, she's like hi, and my wife's like hi, you know, we got a little fire going. And she goes, she goes, did did you guys hear that last night? And my wife was like yeah, it wasn't that crazy. And then they're both like, I mean, just going on and on and on about it and stuff. And so we had planned to leave that day. We were just going to spend the one night. But my wife was like, oh, yeah, we're not going anywhere until your husband gets back, and we're probably not going anywhere real soon anyway, And we promised to leave her all of our camp, all of our firewood and stuff that we had and all of that, you know, so yeah, when her husband got back, I think it was probably still it was probably three four hours and then we finally left. But it was it was crazy. The guy in the camphor with the three dogs, he wouldn't even talk about it. He wouldn't even talk about We were just like, do you hear all that last night? You know? And he's like, yep, I mean that was it. It was just like yep. Then he just like turned around walked off like you know, and then he packed up. He left before we did.
Speaker 2: Well, was it more of screaming or roaring? How would you describe the sound?
Speaker 1: It was a screaming, roaring, violent screaming. I mean it was like it was like, I'm I'm I'm totally convinced that that that whatever, whatever it was, because I didn't see it, I'm totally convinced it's it's press. What it was doing was trumck was chasing us out of there. It was to chase all of us out of there because it was it was so intense and there was more than one there. There was more than one. I don't oh how.
Speaker 2: Many were they all in the same area, all in.
Speaker 1: The same area. It's uh, they were on top of this hill that's at the end of this little lake, And they were on top of this hill behind where everybody was camped at, And it kind of makes like a quarter of the little camp makes like a quarter of a circle around the bottom of that hill. Yeah, they were right on top of it, right on top of that hill, right behind us. They couldn't have been one hundred yards from the camp. And I can't think of anything, I mean, I can't think of any creature that I can relate it to that could make that much noise, that loud, that long, that sustained that. I mean, just absolute crazy noise.
Speaker 2: Did it sound more human or more animalty?
Speaker 1: It sounded more I'm gonna say more like but not a gorilla, but like that kind of solidness to this, to the noise, you know, I mean, it's like the vocal strength of whatever it was that was making that noise was absolutely incredible, absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, whenever it comes to people, anytime we scream or shout or get loud, it's a very quick duration. And and what you heard was much more sustained than that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I mean it was. Boy, some of the some of those haulers I'm gonna say, went on for twenty fifteen twenty seconds. Oh wow, loud, I mean loud, but it was it was more like it was like there were there had to have been multiples of them because they were made, because you could hear you could hear the overlays in the sounds. It wasn't like one of them just stood up and did some kind of you know and then another one did it or something. It was like it sounded like they were fighting each other kind of you know, where it was one was making some big, violent, loud scream and another one to join in right over the top of it, and another one in there, you know, and I mean it just kept going back and forth and back and forth. I mean, it was just it was just crazy crazy.
Speaker 2: Once you kind of woke up and realized what was going on and had time to process everything, did you instantly think that's bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I thought. I totally agreed with my wife. It was monsters. Monsters we don't belong here. Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean, you know, I'm not I'm not kidding. I mean, I've done a lot of hunting and I've I've heard lots of stuff. I mean, I've been I've been tracked by cougars in the woods. I've heard cougar's fighting. I've heard bears fighting. I've heard you know. I mean I sat on the back porch here the elk scream and rattling antlers and you know, and I uh, it's uh yeah, it was uncomparable. I have it was. It was uncomparable hearing cougar's fight. Have you ever heard a recording of two cougars fighting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's scary, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's okay, that's nothing. That's nothing, I mean, nothing compared to this amount of this amount of craziness. Nothing.
Speaker 2: So we have two different situations here. We have a situation where you're with a couple of armed individuals hunting, and then we have a situation where you're camping with your wife and there's other people camping. In one situation, you have rock throwing, but the rock throwing it didn't seem like you guys were targeted necessarily definitely trying to get your attention, but they weren't throwing the rocks at you, is what I mean by that, But no vocalizations. And then you have this other scenario where no rock throwing that we know of, and just intense vocalizations. I would guess, you know, tell me if you agree or disagree that both of these scenarios, although completely different, had the same purpose behind.
Speaker 1: Them, right absolutely.
Speaker 2: Why do you think one handled it one way and one handled it the other?
Speaker 1: Well, if my opinion on that's going to be one was three guys and the other one was probably thirty to forty people. There had to have been between between the people that were camped there, their kids and everything. There had to have been thirty plus people in that campground. You know, it's not a very big campground, but there had to have been thirty plus people in there, and you know, people having campfires at night and all that, and just the amount of people that were there. If they were trying to drive something away, well I think, you know, it's kind of the they needed more backup.
Speaker 2: I don't know any idea why they would want to drive you out of the area in either scenario.
Speaker 1: I think the first and the first one where we were at the waterfall, I think that one, uh, that one was more like, hey, this is kind of our place, you know, I just want you to know that we're here and maybe we kind of don't appreciate people being around and I the second one was more like, boy, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, pissed off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was. It was an angry thing. Now, I'm not sure, you know, it's like I've joked around with the story in this experience a few times. It like it's like, you know, it's like, hey, Freddy, what do you say? You and me and Scotty and we get together and we go down and scare a bunch of campers, you know. Yeah, I mean, you know, or or maybe they really were trying to drive us out of there or what. But I mean, yeah, it was. I mean I've been back to that lake plenty of times since then. It's you know, I've gone up there and gone fishing since since then, though it's probably been I think it was, Oh, it probably took him five years or so. But they closed that campground.
Speaker 2: Oh, they closed it.
Speaker 1: Completely, put big boulders at the end of the road so you can't turn off the main road to even drive down in there. And then the other end of the lake is kind of over by the dam on Baker Lake and it's got an actual gate put across the other end. Of the lake so that you can't get in from the other end at all.
Speaker 2: Huh makes you wonder. Yeah, in that first event, whenever you were hunting and they are throwing the rocks and you guys decided to go ahead and leave, anything happened on your way out, did the rock throwing just instantly stop?
Speaker 1: No, it just it just it pretty much stopped after those few that were thrown, after the initial ones that we noticed that went into the into the pool. I mean, it was kind of obvious that we were going to pack up and leave. I mean, we pretty much just started packing up and leaving. I mean, none of us were going to wander off into the woods that day. You know, I'm not uh, I'm not. I guess I'm a little bit fatter than I used to be, but I'm not a big guy, you know. Uh. And I didn't feel comfortable going off into the woods that day with a black powdered rifle, you know, I mean I just, uh, yeah, it wasn't gonna happen, you know, after that. And it's and it's not because I saw anything. It's that it's that sense of whatever it is growing up here in Sasquat stories all of that, you know, I just didn't feel comfortable right going out separated from you know, I mean, and we'd had separate, separate spur logging roads area that we were going to go off into different areas, you know, and had it all mapped out how we were going to do it that day and circle back in and you know, in what we were going to do, the different places that we had picked out that each one of us were going to go. It wasn't like we were going to walk off, you know, three guys together walk off, you know, I mean, that's kind of not productive.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough, there was in my younger years I used to go out and do actual bigfoot investigations and look for these things. And the area I would go to was a National park, a big camp ground site, and just south of there there was another campground area by a lake that kind of connected to it. It was about seven miles south of where I was normally at this place, it's called Buckhorn, and we I've camped down there before. Nothing happened while I was there, but we would hear stories every now and then because I was friends with some of the people that lived in the local town nearby. And these campgrounds would have a camp host, usually a retired couple that lived in, you know, an RV at the campsites and just kind of look after the place, and we befriended them and they would tell us stories and everything. And one of the things that happened, and again I did not experience this, so this is only second hen but it was in the summer, and there was quite a few people in the campgrounds. I'm not sure how many, but it was, you know, pretty well occupied, and something which the people that were there and witnessed it believe it was a bigfoot around three o'clock in the morning, just like you're describing, just started screaming and roaring and walking right through the middle of the campgrounds, and it wreaked everybody out, and the majority of them all packed up and hauled it out there in the middle of the night, just like you're talking about another campground with another very similar situation. So I wonder if that's just maybe a tactic they use in those situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they want you to know it's their place, and I don't know, we don't want you here. I've got so many theories about a lot of that and a lot of their behaviors, you know, because I mean and those are by no means the only two experiences I've had. I had one right on the other side of the river from where we're at. There's another spot that I go. I used to go grouse hunting all the time. I don't go up there by myself anymore, but it used to be one of my favorite spots to go up and go grouse hunting alone. You know, it's all wilderness. It's another big area, and there's old logging roads. There's a couple of forest service roads that go all the way through, and then there's these old spur roads that go off and they're all rocked and they have been for years, and they've got trees grown up through the roads and all of that. And so I go up there and walk these roads and go grouse hunting. And on one of the first times into this one area, I walked down this road and this was, oh, this was probably ten years ago, I think, the first time I started hunting in there. And I walk in this road and I remember this spot very clearly because I walked down this road and I walked around the corner and heading down this road and there's trees. It's a conifer forest area, you know, and the trees are kind of grown in over the top of the road. And I don't know if you've ever grouse on it or any experience with grouse when when they take off and it's like an explosion with their wings, their wings slap above them and below them, so they're slapping their wings as they're flapping their wings. So I walk into this area and I'm looking down the road and I'm looking around, and I walk under this tree, and four feet from my head is this grouse that I missed seeing on this branch. And he just explodes into his wing flapping to take off, you know, and he flew down the road in front of me. His mistake, you know. So I ate him for dinner that night. But I remember this spot specifically, and I've got a little Forest Tracks GPS that I wear on my wrists, and so I'll mark all of these spots that I've shot a grouse because they're generally you can almost you can almost guarantee if you find grouse in one spot, you're gonna find more grouse in that spot next year, and the year after, and the year after within you know, one hundred feet of that spot. For some reason, it's like the type of clover that they're eating, or the berries or something. But so I always mark those spots. And on the other side of the road from where I was at, and I'm talking an overgrown, old logging road, it was probably thirty feet wide, and on the other side there was this tree stump on the other side of the road right there. And so I'd gone up there probably five six times after I shot that grouse, And the last time I went up there, I walked down that road and there was this big rock that had always been at the bottom of this tree stump, and it was on top of the tree stump. And it's a rock. It's probably slightly larger around than an average garbage can lid. And it was picked out of the hole, picked out of the spot that it was sitting in, and set on the top of the stump. And I mean, you can't you can't drive back in there because there's trees growing up through the road. Yeah, there was no sign of anybody, you know, like wrestling this rock out. It was literally like, you know, you reach down, you pick up a rock that's like half buried in the ground and you pluck it out of the hole. It was just like that. There was no disturbance around the area. It wasn't like the rock was rolled or levered out of that hole. It was like somebody plucked that rock out of that hole and stuck it on the top of that tree stump.
Speaker 2: And how tall is the tree stump?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's uh. If I walked up onto the root ball and put my hand up, it was about about that tall. I could just reach up and touch that rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's requiring heavy machinery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it'd take I mean, if it was guys doing it, you know, a bunch of guys together. I got to figure it'd take ten fifteen guys to wrestle that thing around realistically to be able to pick it out of that hole like that. I don't know how you do that without.
Speaker 2: You know, And what would be the point exactly exactly?
Speaker 1: And then I still wonder that exactly too, Really what is the point? What's the point of the rocks on the stump? Because I've seen that, and I've heard people talk about that, and I've and I don't know, is it a territory marker? Is it a pathway marker? Is it? You know, I don't get it because I've seen other rocks on stumps. Yeah, and I've heard other people talking about rocks on stumps, you know, but I never really I always kind of I've always in the past. You know, it's like I come through the woods. You know, it's like, oh, here's the spot, you know, it had been logged off years ago, and here's a rock on the stump, you know, and I've always been like, oh, you know, it's always been a something the loggers do to mess with people or something, you know. I've always been semi skeptical about it, you know, and and stuff. But no, no, no, well I'll tell you what firsthand. I've said. I've seen that rock sitting there for years that I walked through there, and I always remember that spot. It was marked on my GPS, you know, I've shot grouse right there, and then here I am years later, and that rock's plucked out of that hole and stuck on the top of that stump.
Speaker 2: And and other than the rock, there was no other sign or anything that you can recall while being in that area that would ever alarm you.
Speaker 1: No, that's one of those spots, you know, you always get kind of the creeps, like something's watching me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I I get to a lot of those spots out in the woods. You know, a lot of people are into the big foot thing and want to go out and chase around and find a big foot, come face to face with sasquatch and all of that. I guess I get that, but I don't. I'm not that guy, you know, I'm I'm not out in the woods looking, you know, for him. I'm not chasing after him. I mean, I think it's cool. I wish somebody had come up with some really good proof, you know, short of killing one, you know something, you know that way, But I'm not the bigfoot guy. I've I've had enough experiences. I've I've done a crazy stuff in my life. I mean, I I went to the Army in the eighties and I've I've jumped out of airplanes, I've repelled from helicopters. I've done what they call stable extractions, where you know, you yank a bunch of guys out of the jungle on a rope to to a helicopter. You know, I've done I've done uh helicast where you jump out of helicopters into the water. I've I've you know, halo, high altitude, low opening parachute jumps, I've I've just I've done, I've done, and I've been you know, uh Central South America, drug wars, wars in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Just I mean, I've I've done it, you know, And uh, I just uh, I'm just not I'm I I've got a really uncomfortable story on on one of these that I haven't told yet. And uh, I'm just not I'm just not that guy. I'm not gonna I'm just not the Bigfoot guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think, I mean, I think that's perfectly fine. I Mean, my own personal story was I was just kind of always interested in the stuff, just in general, anything unexplained. Bigfoot just happened to be one of the things that I'd read about, you know, growing up and everything, and got curious one night on the Internet and looked up Bigfoot and kind of went down the rabbit hole, found a group of people, you know, here in Oklahoma that was going out and looking and ended up meeting up with them, and just I wanted to go out and Okay, well, let's see if there's anything to this, because the idea of it was really cool to me. But then you get out there and find out that it's not just a myth and there really is something to it, and things start to change. And for a person that isn't going down that rabbit hole intentionally and just kind of has the curtain jerk back in front of them, I mean, that can be pretty overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and I think that that experience up at the lake with all the campers and everything that was that was pretty intense. That was pretty spooky. That sold me one hundred percent on the Big Foot one hundred percent. I mean, it's it's just like the rock throwing thing, the other stuff, you know, all of that, all the things that I've seen, you know, a little weirdness as a kid, the being watched in the woods, hearing the tree knocking, you know, all of that kind of stuff. I mean, my son and I were in a canoe going along the edge of the lake trolling flies. It was like the water was like glass. They're just perfect reflection of the mountains off of the water, with that little bit of mist that floats on the top of the water. Just absolutely calm, still beautiful morning, know, and something's following us along the bank, and every once in a while it did bang a tree, and it was far enough back in the woods we never got a look to see what it was, but there was something there, and it followed us. Probably that was probably only oh, I don't know, half mile, maybe maybe three quarters of a mile it followed us, but I mean, it was clearly there, but it wouldn't show itself, which kind of, I guess, kind of leads me into the other story. I guess the one that's the one that pretty much drove me out of the woods.
Speaker 2: I mean, nobody's forced to tell anything they don't want to, so I of course would love to hear the story. I'm sure the listeners would love to hear the story. But if you're not comfortable with telling it, I don't want you to tell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh, well, I'm going to tell it. I mean a good portion of it enough to figure out, you know why I don't go up into the deep woods, especially by myself anymore. You know, when I was younger, I used to go out in the woods all the time. All the time, I'd go out in the woods I'd spend days out in the woods, me and my dog. I had a wolf husky hybrid dog. He was the greatest dog for the woods. I'd lay down, make a bed someplace, and he'd pick out a spot where he could overwatch stuff at night and he'd do his thing. I'd do mine, you know, and if there was anything weird, he would come down to where I was at real quiet, wake me up with his nose in my sleeping bag, and then he'd look off in the direction of something that he hurt or something, and he'd go buff, and then he'd look back over there. Then he'd look back down at me again and he'd do this real quiet buff and then look back over like there's something over there, you know. And he'd always he was the greatest dog to go out in the woods. And so I used to spend a lot of time, I mean, the majority of my free time. If I didn't have, you know, no responsibilities that I hadn't take care of it home or with family or anything, you know, and I just pack up and go to the woods, disappear and places with no trails or anything. I didn't want to go where there were trails, you know, because I didn't want to be around other people. You know. I'd pick out a spot, find some little lake up in the top of the up in some little top of the mountain someplace or something that had specifically no road, no trail, no nothing to and hike into it and spend at least a night around in the area. But yeah, so this one, this goes back to another another event with buddies of mine that had come up and go hunting. And so I had a friend of mine and we're still friends. It's not like had a friend nobody of mine. He come up and he was still active in the army and had just come back from a deployment in Syria, and he wanted to spend a little time hanging out with me and stuff, you know. And I'd retired two years, I think two years before this, and he just wanted to come hang out, go hunt and relax, play in the woods. You know. He was a hunter too. And so I had this old friend of mine that I that I knew lived in the valley up here, and he'd told me, oh, there's a spot you know, he used to go hunting all the time up here, And I thought, oh, yeah, I know, that place. I fly fished that little creek, but I'd never gotten excuse me, never gone up that creek. And he's telling me, oh, yeah, well, I used to go up there and go hunting all the time, and I always got, you know, my dear that I was after whatever, you know, and he'd kind of chuckle and stuff, you know, and I've seen I've seen the racks that from the deers, that he's got a deer that he's got up there and stuff, and you know, so I was like, all right, I'm gonna check it out. I mean, at this time, he was probably seventy five push and eighty years old. He didn't go hunting or anything anymore either, you know, so he was kind of giving up some of his spots to people that he trusted, you know. So I tell my buddy and we check it out on the map and figure it all out, and he gets up here and we get all all set everything, and then the next day we take off and go out and we go this is to the east of me where I live, and you go up Highway twenty, you cut off to the south down another little highway, and then you get on a dirt road you go nineteen miles up this dirt road into the woods and gets up on top of all of these peaks on the pretty much on the edge of the National Park. Up here, we're still outside of the park, but we're in the North Cascades, the you know, right on the edge of the National Park. And so we parked the jeep and stuff at the little bridge that goes over the creek, and we brought our brought our waiters because we figured, well, we're going to go up this valley about five miles through the woods and then it's going to open up into where all the little headwater streams come into this little river, and it opens up into this whole great big bowl and it's and it is. It's like a big bowl with one side broken off. It's just got these real high peaks all the way around this valley. And there's really no other way in there other than to go up this creek. And so we're walking up the creek and heading up into there and walking along and uh, I stepped down, I almost step on this fish darts out from in front of me and goes up the river. And I was like, hey, he said, that was a big fish. You know, and he's like, oh, you know, told him I almost stepped on and he's like, oh, yeah, whatever, you know, stepping on fish, and uh, I go a little bit farther and another one darts out and I said, now I almost stepped on another one. He's like, oh, you know, get a little bit farther up the creek and he's like, oh, big fish. And I'm like, yeah, sure, you know, yeah, buddy, whatever, you know. But there's so many fish in this creek. And this is uh, oh, I don't know. It was modern deer season, so it must have been uh, October, October, late October, I'm not sure, early November then uh and uh. So we keep going up the up this creek and climbing over stuff and everything, and we make it almost up into where it starts to open up into the big We're starting to come out of the trees and it's starting to open up into this alpine meadow valley, and my buddy says, he says, hey, I feel like we're being watched. And I was like, yeah, you know, I get that feeling a lot when we're up here, you know, and you know, up in the woods and stuff, and I kind of blow it off, and we go a little bit farther and we're kind of away from the creek by the time we get up there because it had opened up enough that we can move away from the creek. We'd changed into regular boots, kind of dropped our heavy gear and stuff because we figured we're going back out that way anyway and keep heading up aways. And he comes over to me a little bit. He's probably about ten feet off from me, and he comes over and he gets right next to my shoulder and he goes, there's somebody over there. I go somebody and he goes, well something somebody not sure, and so we stop and we're looking looking around, looking around. We stand there for a minute. It's like, yeah, I don't see nothing, hear anything, nothing. So we start start moving because we're still trying to get up into this valley. Before we split off and try to go one was going to go around one side of the valley and one was going to go around the other side. Kind of work our way around, and we'd figure we'd set a time to meet back up and see if we can flush something out, chase something to one or the other, get a good you know whatever, and so we go a little bit farther and uh, I've got really bad tonight. It's my ears ring constantly, so I don't detail noises. He comes back over to me and he says, somebody's over there and they're talking, and I'm like, then I stop, and I start looking around. And by this time, I'm I mean, we're five miles plus up this valley, A good five miles up this valley. There's no trail. I've had absolutely zero sign of any human activity at all whatsoever. I mean, you can get off in the woods out here, and as you kind of move off into the woods, sometimes you'll come across something that says, hey, people have been here. I hadn't seen a rapper, I hadn't seen a beer bottle, I hadn't seen nothing. I seen no sign whatsoever of any kind of human activity at all, period. And so I'm thinking. I look at him. I said, well, there's no way there's people up here, and he goes, yeah, I know, and then he goes and there's somebody over there too, and points to the other side of the valley. So we sit there for a little bit, we're looking around, and then I start hearing and you can hear it in the distance. It's like, you know, when you can hear somebody talking, but you can't hear what they're saying. It's this really deep, gruff, rumbly, solid sounding voice. I mean, it's you know, I mean, it's just deep and I can't make out any words, but it's like, yeah, that's definitely talking. And so we're looking around and then we start hearing things moving and I can't you can't. I couldn't see anything because they're up in the edge of the bushes and it's like it's that whole thing where it's like it's right at the edge of where you can't see it, but you can tell where it's at, you know. And it's heavy movement. I mean it's heavy movement, like bear heavy movement. And so I'm starting to get creeped out because it's on both sides of us. We can't see it. Whatever it is, it's talking, and we're both thinking what we're thinking, you know, yeah, And so we decided, looking in the valley up where we're at, we're going to go. We're going to move into an area where it's full of blueberry bushes that are about four feet tall, and you can you can walk through them, you know. And it's like it's like we're both kind of old schoo when it comes to hunting stuff, and because we've done so much stuff that way. It's like, I've got a brand of hunting gear that's made by a company called Filson's. It's old world oil skin stuff, so it's real. It's they call it a tin cloth, so it's real heavy snag resistant canvas, and so you can walk through the thickest, nastiest, craziest briers and you don't get stuck. You just walk through it. It's not like modern material where it hangs up on everything, so you can you can move through the bushes real freely, real easy. But I'm thinking we're moving up into this area where I'm just going to be maybe head above the bushes, and I'm not comfortable walking out into this valley where I can see over the top of everything, but everything can move underneath the bushes. Even though I can to the bushes, i can't see really what's in the bushes ten feet in front of me. Yeah, you know, and we've got at least three things that are big that are in that valley with us that aren't showing themselves, but are talking with each other.
Speaker 2: I would assume that they would be aware that you guys are there.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm one hundred percent convinced.
Speaker 2: So your training, both of yours training would dictate that this is not a good situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're on the low ground. They've got the high ground on both sides of us. There's three of them, there's two of us. They clearly can move faster than we can, and have proven that already, mostly moving fairly silently, but at a couple of spots they started well, and this is when they started making the noise. No no hollering, no, no, nothing like that. No verbalization towards us at all. I swear they were talking to each other. But they would charge through the bushes and and it was so fast, and they wouldn't they weren't coming towards us. Now a barrel do a false charge or even charge right at you. I mean, but they'll do a false charge where they charge at it is scaria, you know, and then they back off to see what you're going to do. But these things weren't doing that. They were charging in flanking moves like they were like they were maneuvering on us, flanking us and like, and it was like they were trying to prove to us. Now we hit each had rifles, we were armed. And I was carrying a forty five cold pistol with plus p's and my buddy was carrying his forty five magnum or forty four magnum, you know, and rifles, and he's carrying a scope rifle of I don't remember what it was, probably a Remington seven hundred. He's into Remington's. Now. I was carrying an old Winchester ninety four thirty thirty caliber, and so I mean, we've got we're armed. And so that's kind of the thing that I was looking at is that I was wondering if they thought we were up there hunting them, or if we were up there hunting or what. But they were they I'm one hundred percent percent convinced that Sasquatch they're they're intelligent. They're not just some dumb animal. Right, So they they know we're armed, they know what we're capable of. They all know, you know, they've been around people and seen enough. They all know. So they're not gonna they're not going to show themselves. They're not going to charge in. They're not going to do something where they can get close enough, but they're going to do whatever they could do intimidate us and chase us out of that valley. And boy, I'll tell you what they sure did. They sure did, and they followed us all the way we went. We were coming back out of that valley and going down and moved down. We went back, got our packs everything, and it just it's it just killed me because my buddy had a rifle of scope on it, and I don't I don't know hunters hunting, I don't care what you do. It's just not it's not the thing to go scope in the woods with a rifle. So he did it very limited, you know. And we didn't want to be pointing our guns at them, our rifles at them, you know, because I figured if it was a big foot, they knew well, we knew it was bigfoot. I mean it was. We were well sold into that, but we didn't want them to perceive that we were trying to get them, you know what I mean. I mean, we'd already made it clear that we were leaving, but I didn't have a pair of monoculars with me, and I always take monoculars with me, always, always, always, and I didn't have them. I didn't even have them in my pack. We just brought minimal because we were moving so deep, five miles up into the air, and then we figured we were going to go another couple miles. If we, you know, actually scored a good a good dear, then you know we were going to have to pack it out. We were going to have to pack it out a long way, so we were going to have to have to gut and quarter and pro you know, and everything to pack it out. Split it up between the two of us, because I'm not going to sled drag something that far. And you couldn't through all that anyway, So we minimalize the gear that we were taking and I and I still get to this day, I keep kicking myself for not having my binoculars. But anyway, we start, we start moving out, we're moving down. He's scanned a couple of times with his scope. I've been watching stuff. We've gotten to a couple of spots where we've moved off from the creek so that we could sit down and just listen and see if we could see anything. And and it was pretty apparent they were still around us. You'd hear a branch snap, you'd hear heavy thumping noises, you know how you know how bear does that where they bounce, and they bounced their front seat onto the stomp. Okay, it was like that, but it wasn't exactly that noise, you know, but it sounded like it really sounded to me a lot like that, like something was stomping to let us know, hey, we're still here.
Speaker 2: Like something fleshy hitting the ground hard.
Speaker 1: Something fleshy hitting the ground hard, like something like they're stomping a foot, you know. But so we keep moving and we're going down, and we we've already we've well resigned ourselves so that we're being tracked by sasquatch and I'm and moving down, but we still wanted to see if we could get a look at anything, and we jump over this little uh. There were a couple of them coming up, but this one was as we came up the river, but this one was the best. It's like a logjam. You get all these logs across and it kind of plugs it up, almost like a beaver dam, and then over the years the silt fills in behind it, so it raises it up. So it's like you're walking in the river bed and you come to the and then you can drop down a couple feet. Yeah, like a little waterfall over. Well, this one was about four to five feet tall, and so we kept talking about that and that when we got there, we were going to drop over that and we were going to take off into different directions, just straight out of the sides and see if we could see anything, you know, flush something up, if we could charge up the side and see anything. And uh, this always cracks me up. So my buddy he goes, he goes, well, I'll go up to the west, you go up to the east. That always cracked me up because the west side was the side that had one on it, and the east side of the valley had two.
Speaker 2: Go get the lawn chairs.
Speaker 1: And so I was like, oh yeah, send me into the two. All right, Well I was. I was up for it anyway. So we did. We did the charge, and you could hear them. You could hear them. They took off through the woods. Uh, and the there was one on each side of me when I went up. When I went up, they went through the woods and one and they went at an angle to where I was at, down towards the river on each side, uh, down towards the river, and and so then I started getting nervous because I was thinking, they're going to cut me off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one way in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to cut me off from the river. And and so I immediately turned around and headed back down. But I headed back down at an angle towards the one that was down river from me, so that I wasn't going to go straight back to where I came from. I went down I paralleled that path down to the river, so that if something happened, I was going to be up against one, not having both of them, yes, and and uh so I get back down to the river, and when I get back down by the river, everything's dead quiet. My buddy come down the river and he's like, you know, he he had seen that I'd come back down to the river, you know, heard everything going on. And I'm haulering at him at this point everything and uh, I was just like, no, no, I'm done. I'm not coming out of the river again. I'm not coming out of the river again. I'm staying in the river all the way to the jeep. And that's what we did. And they followed us all the way peril but you know, just uh parallel this all the way all the way back to the jeep, all the way back to the jeep, and like five you know, is a good five miles and they were with us the whole way back to the jeep. And when when we were at the jeep, it was like everything up there and you know it's got you got cracket's, you know, all that stuff up in the woods. There's always some kind of bird noise something. And this was and this was getting to be late afternoon, it wasn't getting dark yet, but it was dead quiet. I mean it was dead quiet. There was no there were no bird noises, there were no nothing, nothing. It was just whatever little bit of sound we were making and a little bit of breeze it was going through the woods and everything was just dead quiet, dead quiet. And yeah, I mean after we got back to the jeep, never heard another noise, never heard nothing, nothing, nothing at all. I'll tell you what, that's the last time I ever went up there. If those things wanted to get us, I am one hundred percent convinced, one hundred percent convinced that they would have gotten us if they wanted to. One hundred percent. I have zero, no doubt whatsoever, zero none, no doubt. Zero. It was to drive us out of there and to make sure that we didn't come back. And I'll tell you what, I ain't going back.
Speaker 2: Was there a certain point something that triggered the decision to leave the area for you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they hearing them talking and them moving around us when we were up there. It was the it was the fact that it was. It was how fast they were moving and the fact that they were moving around us yet you know, it's like it's like I felt like the dog with the wolf, the sheep dog and the wolves circling around me. Yeah, you know, I mean that was that was the feeling and the fact that we couldn't figure out at that time, you know, at couldn't figure out what was going on. But it was it was the fact that we heard them talking, heard them talking before they ever made any noises, that really exposed the positions that they were in. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that would implay planning, yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, and animals don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but these things, these things did absolutely, one hundred percent. No, absolutely one hundred percent planned their whole thing and did a very well execution of it and the amount of movement and noise and everything that they made. And I never saw one. I never saw it. That's that's what gets me. I never saw it. I've I've never I just and that's that's what gets me. It's like, you know, it's like they are. It's so they can be so overt with all the noise and commotion and everything without exposing themselves to where you can see them. Yeah, it's uh, it's the most elusive. Just crazy. Man, I'm shivering. I got goosebumps. It's uh man, it was nuts. It was just nuts. I I don't care, you know. It's like I think, I'm I'm I'm convinced with oh, rifles, pistols, it don't matter, it don't matter what we had. It just it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you can't see it, you can't shoot it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I mean I think I think they could have. They could have maneuvered on us and gotten one of us. A couple of times when we were separated, they could have gotten one of us. Hell, they could have maneuvered on on the two of us together. I think and and gotten us when we were together without us being able to I don't know. Maybe we might have shot one, but I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously you don't have to go too far into this, but with your military background and training and everything, you know, you mentioned some of the things that you are involved in, is there anything in your training or anything that you faced in adversaries that you can compare like their movements and strategy to.
Speaker 1: Nothing, well, their strategies are I mean, as far as the maneuvering and being able to being able to get a goals on us and everything, I can equate that to stuff that we did maneuvering, combat maneuvering and stuff that way. But as far as staying hidden and all of that, I mean, it's it was like going up against one of the most skilled opponents that I would have ever faced in any situation that way at all, whatsoever. I mean, if it would have been an armed conflict, I wouldn't have come out of that up against whatever that was. I never saw them, and they clearly knew where we were every second, and I never saw them. Neither one of us ever saw one.
Speaker 2: What do you equate that to just their ability to blend in or just their speed. How do you think they can pull that off? Because I've been in situations myself where there would be There was this one situation in particular down in Texas as a matter of fact, where we're in a very remote area and we're on this old oil road is what they are called. And on one side of the road is some sort of like down in Texas, there'll be these expanses of thousands of acres where they have like exotic game hunting and deer hunting and stuff, and they build these huge perimeter fences around where the game can't get out. And so that's on one side of this. On the other side is just woods, thick woods, and there was something man that this thing it sounded like a bull coming through the woods, an elephant, huge, just crashing, breaking limbs, tearing towards us, and it's coming directly at us. There's a large cedar tree between the edge of the road where we're at and there's maybe five or six of us there, and this thing's on the opposite side of the cedar tree, and it charges right up to the opposite side of that cedar tree. This cedar tree might have been eight feet in diameter. We kind of form a semicircle around it, start moving around as much as we could on the edges, trying to see this thing. We've got flashlights on and everything. Nothing, couldn't see a single thing, never heard anything walk off. Yeah, and it's just like, how does something that big just move around like that, just effortlessly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've watched cougars walk behind a tree and never come out, disappear. They just walk behind a tree and they're gone. Yeah, but something that big like that, Yeah, yeah, no, no, I hundred percent believe that.
Speaker 2: And then the talking also, I only experienced that one time. I think it was a bigfoot. I don't know. I never saw anything, but I heard two individuals talking. Couldn't make out anything they were saying. I would have to assume they know that you can hear them. Yeah, and they just don't care, and they're just talking to one another. And just to be completely honest, I mean, that situation to me sounds terrifying. I've heard a lot of bigfoot stories, but that one is one that I would personally have worried about if I were in your scenario for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm the smart ass to the end, and I've been I've been shot at, mortars coming in on me, all that kind of stuff. And one of the things and this is, yeah, I had I had a one hundred and twenty milimeter mortar hit right behind me, and I got wounded from it hit, but it was far enough away. My best took everything. Luckily. All the shrapnel that flew hit from my waist up and I've got a he could chunk of shrapnel that I pulled out of my vest that I kept. But it went off and I was directly between it and a buddy of mine. And when that hit, all this dust comes flying, and it made like this car like you'd see in the cartoons. It made like this cartoon cut out where I'm looking through a tunnel of dust and it's perfectly clean between me and my buddy. And I looked at him and I said, well, you don't see that every day, you know. You know, I could not at any point of this entire situation, I couldn't. I couldn't. I there was no smart ass in me at all, whatsoever. It was. It was so that whole situation once it led up to the intensity was so intense. I couldn't muster up a single comment. And that's that was always my thing with with my guys when we were in any kind of situation, was always I kind of do that to break tension in it, you know. I mean, and that was kind of our thing in the military, that picking on each other and stuff all the time. It's all to it's all to break the tension of the situation, right, to get every focused back onto Okay, this is what we got to do. This is what's going on, you know, But to break that stress of the situation. And I couldn't. I couldn't. I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. I was I was so stressed that whole time.
Speaker 2: I mean, five miles is a long way, yeah, and plenty of time, yeah, to figure things out and get a glimpse of something, you know, and kind of figure out a way to take control of the situation. And it sounds like the emotions you were experiencing was just not being in control completely at the mercy of whatever they wanted.
Speaker 1: Yep. Man, it was so crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've heard lots of stories about you know, people being paralleled in the woods. You know, I've had I have a good friend of mine that's been on the podcast that was paralleled out of the woods for a ways. And usually it's like, I mean, I may have heard a couple of stories about a mile or two miles, and it's typically just one other individual and it's just doing the whole you know, paralleling with the footsteps, not making any vocalizations. They take a step and they hear another step before it stops, that sort of thing. But yeah, but this is different, This is way different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it was. Uh, it was one of those I mean, I've been in a couple of tight spots, but it was like this was like, man, it was intense. It was it was I'm one hundred percent convinced. I am one hundred percent convinced that if they wanted to stop us from getting out of there, we were done. That was all there was to it. That was all there was to it, and that was that was the only thing. As we got down the when we got to being within about a mile of the jeep, was when I was feeling like they were gonna let us get to the jeep and get out of there. Is that That's when I when I really had started to have the feeling that they were gonna let us get out of there, that all they wanted to do was get us out of there and to make sure that they caused enough that maybe we would never come back, you know. And boy, I'll tell you what, I ain't ever going back up there. You can't. I'll tell you where it's at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'll leave that one alone. Yeah, did your buddy have any problems coming to the realization that Bigfoot's real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he won't talk about it period to this day. He won't talk about that. And uh, yeah, he totally swore me to secrecy on the thing because he was still he was still in and he was still running missions and doing stuff, you know, and he didn't want that stigma of anything getting back to anybody. And then, you know, he's a big dude. He's a he's a big dude, and he's you know, over over six feet tall, very broad shouldered, very big dude. And he didn't want the oh yeah, here comes the bigfoot hunter, you know. Yeah, you know, I mean he didn't want any of that stigma, stigma having to do with it. He won't he won't nothing, not a word to this day, won't nothing nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody has to, you know, cope in their own way. And like I certainly get it that that would have been a terrifying scenario for anybody, let alone people that were trained and aware enough to actually know what was going on.
Speaker 1: And and he's the one that he's the one that caught what was going on first, you know, I don't know. Maybe it's because his head st up high enough that he could hear things that I couldn't a lot, bigger, lot taller.
Speaker 2: I think it's also kind of important to mention, at least in fairness, that I agree with you if they didn't want you to leave, you weren't going to leave, but they did let you leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, which which after all of that, I'm pretty convinced was their intention the whole time was just to drive us out of there. But when it was going on at first, when we were all the way up in there, I didn't have that feeling at all, not at all. It was so I thought I was dinner, you know.
Speaker 2: For my interesting you didn't even tell your wife about this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, we didn't tell anybody about it. For years years. Yeah, my wife just recently found out. And then she's like, she was kind of like, oh, well, a lot of this makes a lot of sense now looking back on things and looking back on your actions and your lack of going to places that you used to go fishing, and lack of going to you know, this spot over here and not being out in the woods so deep by yourself. And yeah, and then then she was teasing me last night too because uh we listened to uh who was it. Oh, it was Sarah's one of Sarah's new newest videos and that she put out. There was a guy on there talking about a bunch of stuff and bigfoot experiences and he's had a lot of them, uh says sasquatch, and uh he's a bigfoot researcher. And he was talking about cameras and game cameras and stuff and all of this, and my wife goes, oh, oh, I get it. I get it. So that's why, uh, that's why you put the motion sensor lights up and why uh you've got the cameras up and all of that stuff. She's like, yeah, yeah, I get it. Keep them away from the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well we call him booger lights out here, booger lights. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But that's another thing too that that gets me is a lot of people are like, oh, you know, there's there's great I'm gonna switch to a lighter side. I want to de stress from that story and be kind of done with that. Yeah, because that really gets me talking about that. It's like, man, but uh, talking about the cameras and stuff, a lot of people do a lot of a lot of bigfoot stuff and and uh, I'm one hundred percent convinced they see in for red light. I have no doubt. And that's the thing with the game cameras, the motion lights, the all that kind of stuff is they're all triggered with ir. It's like people, people don't realize you you carry your cell phone in your pocket and if you've got if you've got some kind of a some kind of a starlight vision scope or something, Uh, take your cell phone out at night and set it someplace and look through your starlight scope at it, because it'll if you've got if you've got a smartphone, almost every smartphone I know, Samsung iPhones, there's a there's a bunch of them. They they're flashlight does an infrared strobe about every one to three seconds, depending on the brand. So wherever you're going with your cell phone in your pocket, you're putting off an infrared strobe. So I think with a lot of this modern technology trail cams, they're triggered by infrared. You know, all all of this stuff that uses infrared, they can see it. And I think, I'm I'm I'm convinced they can because I've I've I've hunted coyotes and stuff at night and lots of varmint animals and stuff, and so I use night vision and an IR laser for hunting varments. And so I was sitting in a spot one time, sitting there, and I'm watching this owl on this tree branch and he was probably fifteen maybe twenty feet away from me, and I'm watching him, uh with my with the set with a PVS fourteen military grade Gen three night vision and I'm watching him, and I thought, I'm going to turn on that illuminator, and so I turned on the infrared illuminator on it, you know, which boosts your vision. It's like if youre's someplace that has like zero light, you can turn on the illuminator and it gives an infrared light off right, So I and as soon as I clicked that on, he spun his head around and looked right straight at me, and I thought, wow, I wonder, I wonder if that was a coincident, if coincidence or something, if he heard the click or something, you know, but I'd been made that he would have. So I shut it off, and he kind of goes back to looking around and looking out across the field, you know, looking back out and the you know, in the edge of the woodlines, and looking around and looking around. And I clicked it back on again. He spun his head back around instantly and looked at me, and I turned it off. I sat there and the third the third time I turned it on, he spun around, looked at me, and then he flew away. But so that was the first time, and I thought, he sees that in for red light. He can see it straight up. Now, I've I've shined it around coyotes, I've shined it around bears, I've used possums, raccoons, just all all kinds of animals, elk, deer, all kinds of animals, and nothing pays any attention to it. Nothing. The only animal that I've seen that pays attention to that. Our light is the owl, our owls, and and and I just kind of do it all the time now as anytime I see an owl, I'll turn my laser on or click the illuminator or something to see what they do. And every single species of owl that I've come across will spin their head around and look right at me instantly, no no hesitation, instantly spin around, look at me. And no other animal seems to pay any attention to it at all. And so I'm convinced that the sasquatch see the infrared. I'm convinced that's what it is. And so they avoid it like the plague, because it's a technology that they know that we use, that we're trying to trap them with in some way. Even though it's just a picture, they know it comes from us, and that it's a weird thing that that permeates. It's the area that we've put something in and they won't get near it.
Speaker 2: That could very well be there's something going on, because the way those things, again, at the size that they are and the speed that they move in pitch black conditions, I mean, we couldn't do it we'd be running into trees and knocking ourselves out left and right, tripping over our own feet. And these things don't seem to have any problem seeing in the dark.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. And it's like it's like there's so many technologies out with your camera on your phone or any digital camera focuses with an infrared beam. It uses that ir to range whatever you're pointing the camera at to do its focus. So you pick up your cell phone, it's using that. That's what maybe gives it the focus, like a rangefinder like guys use on the golf course or used for shooting or whatever. It uses that infrared laser to range, so then the camera focuses in on it. So every every digital camera, every cell phone, everything like that uses that infrared. He mits that infrared. So I don't know. That's that's my crazy sasquatch theory thing that I'm pretty well stuck on.
Speaker 2: I know. I mean, that's a theory that a lot of people have, and there's nothing crazy about it at all. That's one of the problems with this whole thing is once you hit that realization and become a knower and that these things are out there, then you start trying to figure them out and trying to understand why they haven't been discovered and why they're so hard to see and everything else. And it never stops. Man, it just never stops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. And I've got family members that are like, oh, sasquatch, you know, and they're like, oh, I've spent spent plenty of time out woods and I've hiked and done this and done that. Well, you know, I hear that from so many people. But it's like it's like, you know, you get all these people that are like, oh, you know, I'm the experienced hiker, but I'll always no, they're trail walkers. Yeah, their trail walkers. They find a trail in a guide book and hiked to some little lake on the trail that's like a road through the woods, you know. You know, and it's like, I know, I know several people that around here that man, they've had things, sightings, stuff loggers up here that won't talk about stuff. They're like, yeah, same things. Yeah, well you want to know, you know, I mean, people, so so many people. There's so many people that are like, oh, yeah, Sasquatches are a well have you ever seen anything?
Speaker 2: Yep, Yeah, and that's it. That's all you're getting out of them.
Speaker 1: That's all you're getting, you know. But you know, and then you get the other ones that are just like you know, it's like my family. I've got several people in my family that are just like so n but they don't live up here, they don't at the time, out of the woods, they don't. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, James, I appreciate you coming on here and sharing your stories.
Speaker 1: Oh you bet, man, Yeah, absolutely, no, it's fun. I'm gonna tell you straight up. And I'm not kidding. This is the last time I'm telling that story right there. That's it. I'm I'm you know, I might tell somebody whatever. I'm not going on any more podcasts, I'm not doing any more interviews, nothing. That's it. You and Sarah got my stories and that's it.
Speaker 2: Well. I feel honored, sir, really do. It's quite an experience that you went through. And yeah, I'm very appreciative that you were willing to share it with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been, You've been. It's just like you know, it's just people have to share some of their stories that way because they're real and they're out there, and people have to come out and share it so that the other people that are doubters can actually look at the experiences that people have really had so that they can understand that, yeah, there's man, there's something out there, you know, for real,