Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family. Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 3: Let's win this.
Speaker 4: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 2: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger world championing for a small soft time.
Speaker 5: They get up people what they want to.
Speaker 7: Die to in a row two is special.
Speaker 5: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 8: One of a con. This ball's gone. You ready to go? Hell, time to the sound grab your phone.
Speaker 6: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 8: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Angels defeat the Dodgers in Game two of the Freeway Series by a final score of eleven to nine. Welcome the Dodger Talk David vass say with you until eleven thirty tonight right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open and the phone lines are alive tonight. Hello, we have phone lines open, just to open so many are so outraged over this loss tonight they had to get in right now. It's like when the Apple store opens, you gotta be there for the newest iPhone. I think that's how Dodger fans feel tonight to get on Dodger Talk. But we have two lines open, and yes, I will get to you. Take it easy, we'll get to you and we'll try to sort all this out tonight because a lot happened, including the longest game of the season played by the Dodgers tonight, three hours and thirty seven minutes. Unfortunately, they come up short tonight in a disappointing loss. This is a disappointing loss. I'm not gonna say it's a make or bright loss, but it is a disappointing loss. Anytime your offense, I don't care who you are, the Marlins, the Angels, the Dodgers scoring nine runs, you should win, and you should win if you have the type of pitching staff the Dodgers have. But again, a Dodgers starter doesn't go five innings. Now. Clayton Kershaw in his season debut thirty eight pitches in the first inning. I mentioned this during the Clubhouse Show talking to nineteen eighty five World champion Mark Goobaza, who's in the booth for the Halos and really knows pitching. I asked him what he was seeing from Kershaw, and he just simply said, overthrowing. And you can understand that, coming back after not pitching for over a year. He threw thirty eight pitches in that first inning, gave up three runs. There was some defensive laps obviously at third base that could have ended that inning a little bit sooner, but he only threw five more pitches after that to get the final out of the inning, and Andy Pajz came up and gave him a clean slate a game tying three run home run, And in the second inning, Kershaw settled down and threw only eleven pitches, retiring the Angels in order. So it's not about Kershaw. It's about the whole first half of the season, where whether it's Blake Snell or Tyler Glasnell or anybody Roki Sazaki, the starters are not doing this bullpen any favors and that's not a good thing. And right now, the Dodger bullpen still leading Major League Baseball and innings pitched over one hundred and ninety innings pitched for the Dodger bullpen, and their starters have only thrown two hundred and seven innings. That's the worst or least amount in Major League Baseball this season. Before we get into everything else and we hear from Clayton Kershaw, let's give this offense some love, right Keith Key Hernandez had a big night on base all five times tonight. He scored three times, he had three walks, which was really positive, and he hit a home run in the fourth inning to pull the Dodgers closer. Also, Freddie Freeman, do you realize now Freddy Freeman is a qualified batter? After missing some time, he was not qualified for the batting title and different offensive categories, but he has now hit those marks and is qualified. Freddie Freeman tonight, with four hits, is hitting three seventy five on the season. That's the best in the National League this year, and he's only second in baseball to Aaron Judge, who is hitting four to two. By the way, Will Smith second best batting average to Freddie Freeman in the National League. Smith, who came off the bench for a pinch hit single off of Kennley Jansen, is hitting three thirty six. Speaking of Kennley Jansen, you know he wanted this tonight. You know when Ron Washington said warm up because we may need you not just for the ninth inning, but also for a four out save, you knew Kenley Jensen was going to come in and there was a very good chance he was going to be at his best. We saw ninety seven miles an hour from Kenley Jansen last night. We haven't seen that. The Angels have not seen that all year long. The jews of playing the Dodgers certainly came into play tonight. Kenley Jansen secured his first four out save this season. For his four hundred and fifty fifth save of his career, he has the fourth most in baseball history. He will be in Cooperstown, trust me, especially after Billy Wagner getting in. I mean, Kenley Jansen is one of the best closers of his generation. This four out save thing not something that we hadn't seen from Kenley as a Dodger. He closed thirty nine games in the regular season of four outs or more in his Dodger career. Three hundred and fifty of his four hundred and fifty five saves Whereas a Dodger seventy four one day will be placed among the great, so will twenty two down the left field line when he gets to the Hall of Fame. So this was a Kenley Jansen type of Knight to come in and have the opportunity for a four out save, and he got the job done for the Angels. Certainly disappointing for Clayton Kershot to a certain extent, gratifying in another respect being able to work as hard as he did to come back after left knee and left foot surgery to be back on the mound for the Dodgers. Let's head downstairs to hear from another future Hall of Famer.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I love being back out there. It felt.
Speaker 9: It's just it's a special thing to get to go back and pitch a Dodger stadium. Obviously I wanted to pitch better, need to pitch better going forward. But you know, I think for me, just to see that, I think there's some glimpses of some my stuff being there, which is good. The problem tonight was just command. I had really bad commands tonight. So I think I can fix that, which is good, which is an encouraging thing.
Speaker 7: But obviously not good enough to night to get it done.
Speaker 9: But you know, first, first one back and just to be back out here a daughter stadium was a special for me, regardless of the outcome the night, and.
Speaker 10: Just overall physically the toe they need the arm.
Speaker 9: How do you feel, Yeah, physically feel great. You know that first inning was long. I hadn't had, you know, a really long ending like that in rehab before, so I think my you know, stamina was kind of put to the test early, which is good. And so you know, obviously took my lumps on this one, but physically feel good and ready for the next one.
Speaker 4: It looks like you took a pause on your way out of the dugout, like you stopped and so you put your head down.
Speaker 7: Were you reflecting?
Speaker 9: Was it the Is that something to normally do or were you kind of thinking about what was going to happen now?
Speaker 7: No, I don't remember pausing. I always wait till.
Speaker 9: You know, eight with the game to go back on the field, So maybe I was just a little early today. But uh yeah, I think, you know, before the game and you know, leading up to this, you know, it's definitely I don't like the word emotional but there's definitely some like some thoughts, you know, some it's just it's just special.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: So I think as you have done it more and you get a little bit older, you just learn to appreciate that more.
Speaker 7: So I wouldn't say that, but just it was it was special.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like what was it like being your thoughts?
Speaker 7: And yeah, Russia great.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: Obviously I didn't gve him a lot to work with today, so you know he's he's going to be good. He cares a lot, wants to be good, you know, prepared a lot, did a lot of homework, and you know he's he's learning on the fly, and so you know, I didn't give him a lot of help today.
Speaker 7: Obviously I didn't hit a lot of spots. But he'll be fine.
Speaker 8: All right. There's Clayton Kurage. Obviously it's good to hear him say he thought his stuff was good enough. He just needs to have better command. Everybody was worried about his fastball velocity. Well, a lot of times when you see a guy in rehab mode, even Kershaw, the adrenaline in minor league stadiums is not what it is in the big leagues. And tonight we saw his fastball touch ninety one miles an hour. He averaged about eighty nine miles an hour on his fastball tonight, so it was good enough to get hitters out. Even though the Angels are one of the worst hitting teams statistically in baseball, he still was able to get outs. And after he's settled in after that first inning, it was better. And we'll see where it goes from here. His next start probably will be next weekend against the Mets at City Field, and that will be a tougher test for Kershaw. He mentioned Dalton Rushing and that he did well and he cares and he prepared sports and at LA showed on their broadcast last night Sean Rushing sitting next to each other and game planning the Angels lineup as they were going through last night's game, so that that you don't see that too often, especially from a rookie catcher. But obviously, as Kershaw said, Rushing special. You could tell he has that in factor. Not only does he have the talent, but he has all the intangibles to want to be great, and you saw that tonight. He threw out his first base runner in the sixth inning, strong throw and He also drove in a run, a game tying run in the sixth inning with his first extra base hit. So I'm a big Dalton rushing fan I have ever since talking to him in spring training the last couple of years. This guy has it. And the Dodgers have two really good catchers when teams sometimes don't even have one, so fair to say. I'll say it even now, the Dodgers have the best catching combo in Major League Baseball. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Angels beat the Dodgers tonight, eleven to nine. Let's go out to Orange. Sean, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassi.
Speaker 4: Hi Sean, Hey Dave, thanks for taking my call. Good to be with you tonight. I I agree with you on the Clayton stuff. You know, I just I feel like, regardless of how he performs from here on out, I mean, we're in a bit of a victory lap for a future Hall of Famer, so you know, it's just good to see him out there, regardless of, you know, what the performance looks like.
Speaker 10: Hey, I want to.
Speaker 4: Ask you just about ken Lee tonight. I've noticed this with him a couple of times where I've seen him intentionally bock, Yeah, get a runner on second over to third. And I'm trying to understand the strategy from his standpoint. So if he's got a runner on third, and let's say that there's a hit that goes to zach Netto like he like there was tonight, and Zach fumbles it and you know, can't get the throwaway, Well, you've got a guy on third with two hour who's going, you know, on contact and he's going to.
Speaker 3: Score a run.
Speaker 4: So what's the strategy there for him to you know, intentionally bock and get that guy over to third when you know you've got the potential to have you know, a base runner score there versus someone on second who's probably not going to score off of that hit if it goes to zach Neto. In that case, it just curious what your thoughts are.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he told me this, He did this with the Dodgers. Is that what you're referring to when he was with the Dodgers as well, Because he explained it to me, He's concerned about that runner at second base peeking into his glove and relaying signs to the hitter. So he'd rather have the runner just go to third base and eliminate that even being a possibility. He's that confident that he'll be able to get the third out and not not even neutralize that run at third base. So he's more concerned about the runner at second base peeking in and relaying signs to the hitter, because that happened a few times, and he after that happened when he was with the Dodgers, from then that point on, he would bock the runner the third base.
Speaker 4: So even with pitchcong do you think the best that's still a threat.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because as he's getting ready to deliver the pitch, he's concerned about the runner peeking into his glove and seeing the grip of the pitch and relaying it to the hitter.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, because he's very deliberate.
Speaker 8: He's very deliberate with the with the uh, with the delivery. But that's the reason why, Sean, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ben in La. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hi, Ben, Hey, Dave, thanks for thanks for taking my call. I just have two main points to make I don't think Kershaw's appearance today was anything of a victory laugh. I think it was really sad, and I think we should really consider having him move into a different role, maybe pitching as a reliever, you know, coming in later, taking one or two innings. You know, I don't really understand why the front office is putting so much trust in him. And at the same time, you got to think about Conforto. I know, we scored nine runs, but bases loaded bottom of the eighth. He clearly didn't want to be there. I think that we really have to think about what we're doing with him there, how we're gonna.
Speaker 8: You don't think lights right there, ben No.
Speaker 11: I think he wanted to just get an easy out and move on. I think he doesn't have that same kind of team energy that we're looking for in the Dodgers, and frankly, I don't like him in the lineup so often.
Speaker 8: Well, all right, we'll give him a break. Let's see where it goes. He's been hitting the ball a lot better, you know. So we have seen signs of lie from Michael Conforto. But time will tell whether or not this stage is for Michael Conforto. He did play New York with the Mets. But this is a little bit different, no doubt about it. And as far as Clayton Krushaw goes, he's not going to the bullpen. And I disagree with you. I don't. I think it was sad. I think it was Uh it was. I don't want to call it a victory lap. I mean, he's out there not just to be a ceremonial. He's trying to win games and help the Dodgers get to where they need to go. And this was his first starting over a year.
Speaker 5: Ben.
Speaker 8: So no, I'm not accepting that. I I strongly disagree with that, and I think you should actually I feel like, you know, I'm not going to say you owe him a little bit of respect here, but yeah, you owe him a little bit of respect here.
Speaker 11: Ben, Yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I guess after that first inning he was pretty good. First inning was bad.
Speaker 11: This was a rough series, losing to the boss.
Speaker 8: He's apologized to clean Kershaw right now, please please do He's a closet listen, He's a clauset list man.
Speaker 11: You know, Clayton, I loved everything you've done. I love your legacy. Let's see how it goes against the Mets. I'm not as optimistic as you are, Dave.
Speaker 8: Geez, Ben, Okay, what's swan soda? Gonna take a walk, that's all he's gonna do. Ben, how dare you? Thank you for the phone call? Great phone call, Ben, appreciate it. Hey, we can agree to disagree, but I feel like I won you over. Take a step back. It's his first start in over a year. Matthew Stafford his buddy from Highland Park. Did you know that Clayton Kershaw and Matthew Stafford grew up together in Highland Park and they played on the same Little league team. That story's never been told before. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bakersfield, Alex. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Alex?
Speaker 10: I'm doing good, DV.
Speaker 12: Thanks for taking my call. Just I can't disagree more with that last guy on that Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 8: Take right, sacrilegious right there.
Speaker 12: He should have all the clout, especially with a Dodger fans that he could ever want and need, and not that he needs it.
Speaker 8: But he doesn't want to be that guy. He doesn't want to be Adam Wainwright his last year with the Cardinals. He doesn't want to be a hood ornament. He's out here to compete. And you saw a guy that maybe didn't have the best command or the best stuff. He didn't throw ninety nine, but he threw eighty nine ninety and was able to compete his way through four innings in his first starting over a year. How many guys do that, Some guys tap out when it's raining lightly.
Speaker 12: I agree, one hundred percent. Couldn't agree more. I did want to just make a few quick points. A couple of good spots. Obviously, Freddy Freeman hitting the cover off the ball. He's out of this world. Andy Pajis, you know, he's a bona fide outfielder in this league. He just needed a couple of.
Speaker 3: Weeks to get it right.
Speaker 12: But the concerning the bullpen, you know, and it's tough to fault those guys, but just the usage. You know, you've seen Vessia. He's grooved a few two men pitches this year, which he really get.
Speaker 8: Better as the as the season goes along. That's been his track record, And you know, the best comparison I can make for Alex Vessia is key Hernandez. I know one's a pitcher and one's a position player, but we always talk about October k K. Well, go look at what Alex Vessi has done for the Dodgers and nineteen postseason appearances. I believe he's only given up one or two runs. He's October Vessia, so as the season moves along, he gets better and peaks at the right time. So I'm not concerned about Vessia.
Speaker 12: I'm hoping you're right. And obviously you know we'll see in September October, so that's good. Another thing I was just really real quick concerned about with Yates. Obviously he really hasn't been the guy we saw last year. It just it doesn't seem like it's been been put together. And I knew as soon as you know he gave up that you know that that inning, I knew it was going to be some sort of injury.
Speaker 8: I mean the three the three run homer to Logan o'happy that gave the Angels the lead. Look, Kirby Yates is a gamer. He had an all star season last year with the Rangers, but he threw more innings than basically he's thrown his entire career last year sixty innings. He's thirty eight years old and tonight was his twenty second appearance, So I guess he's in that Daniel Hudson bucket. Maybe a little bit more effective at this stage of his career than Hudson was. But yeah, you know it's a risk to run a thirty eight year old out there as many times as the Dodgers have already, and you know it's not necessarily the arm that sometimes gives out. It could be your hamstring like we saw tonight. But maybe this breather will be a blessing in disguise for Kirby Yates. Thanks for the phone call, Alex appreciated. Eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. As far as why Tanner Scott was brought into eighth inning down ten to eight, usually you don't see your closer at home come into the game down two runs. You usually see them in a tied game, maybe down a run. But that was something a little out of the box managing by Dave Roberts. But the reason why was because he wanted to keep it a two run game. You could tell Dave Roberts wanted to win this game to face the heart of the Angels order that had given the Dodgers trouble tonight. Taylor Ward, Jorge Solaire and Logan o'hoppy, and Tanner Scott did his job getting those hitters out in order, maybe the most dominant we've seen Tanner Scott one of at least being able to strike out Ward and o'hopy, who hit the big home run tonight. So that was the thinking behind why Dave Roberts did that. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. How about Dalton Rushing. He's already made a big impression in just two major league games, and tonight was impressive for him to catch a future Hall of Famer and also be able to come up big with the bat. We've heard about the bat. It's one thing to do with at Oklahoma City. It's another thing to do it here with the Dodgers in these bright lights. And he came up big tonight, especially in the sixth inning, throwing out his first runner and then tying the game up with an RBI double down the right field line that was smoked at one hundred and fourteen miles an hour. Let's head back downstairs to hear from young rookie Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, obviously they're special. Anyway I can help the team win as a big part of what I want to do here. Yeah, It's it sucks. Wait, ended I hate losing way more than I love winning. It's one of those things. It's a pill to swallow and learn from and see what we can build on moving forward, especially with some of these pictures. I just I like to take the fall for things like that and never ever put any blame on a picture. So I'll look at some things to night, and uh we'll move forward.
Speaker 2: What were you finding just with navigating through their lineup then with this one and seeing how they're able to find different ways to get to you guys.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's maybe I'll let some things speed up on me.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 13: Like I said, I'm gonna I'm gonna take blame as much as possible. But rookie, that's my job. Uh Essentially, I'm gonna take blame for every little thing that happens on the field, whether it's good, bad, ugly everything. But yeah, like I said, it's it's gonna be a long night looking at some things and uh figuring out what we can do to move forward and be better.
Speaker 14: He Uh there was some concouraging things from his start today.
Speaker 2: You saw him a couple of weeks ago where some of them are encouraged things that you saw.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's uh, I mean he's he's the best left handed picture of all time. And uh, like I said, uh, I think I could have made some better decisions in uh certain situations, and I I think moving forward, I uh, I'm not gonna run into those problems anymore, especially with him in particular. But yeah, it's it's a game of baseball. Sometimes things don't go your way. But like I said, that's the best life had of picture of all time. I should be able to navigate him.
Speaker 14: What were the pregame means?
Speaker 7: Like in preparation with Curse Good?
Speaker 13: I felt like we had a good plan moving in. I felt like we rode most of the plan for the most part, executed some things, and like I said, maybe there were some hiccups I made throughout the road, and that's, like I said, something I can grow on and move forward and do better.
Speaker 8: That's what all Right, there's Dalton rushing and that's a peek into people that have been around him know already. I mean, that's the type of guy he is. He's a servant to the pictures. He's not just all about hitting, even though he's a really good hitter. He really takes it personal when things don't go right for his pictures. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, we have two callers that want to complain about Michael Conforto, so I'm gonna let them hash it out together. Johnny and Luke in the OC go ahead. You both want to get on Michael Conforto, So why don't you guys discuss it? Johnny started off, what do you have to say about Confordo?
Speaker 14: To Luke, thanks for taking my call again, Dave, Hi.
Speaker 8: Luke and the OC, how you doing.
Speaker 10: I'm taking my call as well. I'll let Johnny go, Yeah, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Dave.
Speaker 14: It's it's almost we're almost fifty games in.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 14: The guy hasn't made any any real adjustments or anything like that. I just with Kim and Tommy coming back and Tail coming back, I just I don't know, something's got to change with this. I'm on board with what Ben said about Conforto, but he has to put some respect on the two time champ Krushoff for sure, but Conforto, I don't know. I want to hear what Luke has to say.
Speaker 8: I do too. Your insight on all.
Speaker 10: This, sure, Yeah, I think my insight is actually more of like a Roberts criticism of why wouldn't.
Speaker 15: Roberts entertain the idea of pinch hitting there? And it's not like a dig at gets Conforno. It's more of just trying to give Kim a shot, give Smith a shot, give the people who have indicated that they're hot recently a shot. I mean, I know, like to Johnny's credit, like John Now, Johnny Conforno.
Speaker 4: Was like not been.
Speaker 10: I mean, he has been great all season. He's been better as as late as you pointed out earlier to day. But I think team's gotten on like well, like like nine straight games, like just give him a shot.
Speaker 8: Was snapped last night. He did reach nine nine consecutive plate appearances, that's true, And he did come in as a pinch runner and almost beat out a bang bang play at second base because I don't think Tim Anderson realized who was running right there, But yeah, I mean he was in there. And look, that's that's a fair question to ask Luke. But it's fifty it's barely not even fifty games in, guys, are we really going to pull the plug on Michael Confordo, who in the last ten days has swung the bat a lot better and with authority. So I feel like that's the reason why Dave wanted to save his bullets for the ninth inning. Can we all agree that Michael Confordo has looked good in the last week, better at least the last week.
Speaker 10: Yes, I totally agree, totally gree I'm not pulling plugs on anybody. I'm I'm thinking about, you know, situational hitting. I think Confordo is long term. I think he makes sense. I'm just trying to, you know, think about that's hitting.
Speaker 8: You hear it now?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 8: And how about this, Johnny? All right, hold on, let me just let's make a compromise here. If Michael Confordo is still hovering where he's hovering right now, uh mid June, then I will agree with you guys that Dave Roberts is going to have to go to the matchup game. And and sorry, I know the Dodgers took a one year flyer on him. But I know the hitting coaches believe that Michael Conforto is gonna figure it out. I mean, two for forty two stretch that he's much better than that. So I'm not giving up on Michael Confordo. But let's circle back mid June and we could talk about matchups and alternatives. How about that.
Speaker 14: I wouldn't say us get back again, but he's he's two for thirty two with running the scoring position in over twenty six last twenty seven. So it's it's when you got people making production.
Speaker 8: I agree, that's fair. That's fair. Let's circle back. Okay, let's give it a little bit more time. Thanks guys, great great conversation. See very calm discussion right there. Eight six six eighty seven seventy is the phone number. Dwayne McDonald was not amused. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Angels tonight eleven Ton and have lost the first two games of the Freeway Series and have lost the series at Dodger Stadium to the Angels for the first time since twenty nineteen. Yeah, twenty nineteen wasn't just two years ago. It's twenty twenty five. Now, that was a while ago. Let's go out to Sierra Madre. Josh, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 16: Hi, Josh, Hey David, thank you for taking my call. I really appreciate it. You know, I was actually one of the few people who lights the michaeltonfordos signing in the offseason, and he always thought he's been a solid that he's usually good for about twenty homers a season, so it's you know this, the slump that he's been in has been disappointing for me by myself, but I'm sorry, Day I don't understand how you let him back in that situation with the bases loaded. He's two for thirty two this season with the with runners and scoring position. I mean, they do have better options there. You have Kim, you had Smith. That Smith they said came about too at that's too late. I don't understand how you don't. I can have a shot there. He's done nothing but impressed. He's hitting like four seventy in his first two baths. I know it's a small sample size, I get it, but I feel like in that situation, that was a situation that was more suited for Kim in my opinion. So I don't want to give up on Michael Confordo. He has looked better. He has definitely made much with eric contact with the ball. But at some point you just got to start getting results. And if we're not seeing results in the next few weeks, you're gonna have to do something. So we'll see. But I feel like the clock's kicking up. Conforto, it's not looking good.
Speaker 8: That's fair, Josh. And if Dave Roberts was going to have Smith hit against ken Lee Jansen, why not do it there? Yeah, you're right, and you guys and Johnny was right, and so is our guy from the OC, Michael Confordo. This year just two for thirty one with runners in scoring position. That's got to get better in those situations, or I agree with you guys, Dave Roberts is going to be forced to get somebody off the bench that can take a better at bat in those situations. Thanks for the phone call, Josh. Let's take another phone call. Let's go out to Newport Beach. Ken You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ken, Hey, there.
Speaker 10: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I agree with him every time with.
Speaker 8: The Freeway series? Was that just a obligatory how you doing? You didn't really care? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh I do?
Speaker 3: I do care to tell what I was doing. Okay, but Kershaw didn't look good in the perst any with us Kershaw. I'll live with whatever goes on with him because he is a superstar. I'm not happy with some of the relief pictures. I think Garcia needs to go. Guy's got a four fifty e RRA. To bring him in at that time made no sense. Now what everyone was talking about was my main point. You had a choice with the face of the look.
Speaker 8: He brought in Lewis. He brought in Luis Garcia because Kirby Yates got hurt.
Speaker 3: I understand, I understand, And there's short unrelief pictures and that's.
Speaker 8: That's right, that's the reason why.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you got you got Smith at three thirty, you've got Kim at four fifty two, and you've got a guy who simply is not hitting. And if you're trying to win this game, you pinch hit those guys. The only reason you wouldn't is maybe you are getting some pressure because Friedman spent seventeen million dollars in that guy, and maybe he's saying, let him stay, let him stay, but you got to play to win.
Speaker 8: I'm sure that's in the back of Dave's mind to a certain extent. But Andrew Friedman isn't calling into the dug at. I'm saying, do not pinch hit for Michael Confordo under no circumstances. That's a that's a Dave call, and it's a fair question. That is a fair question, especially since we saw Will Smith come off the bench to face Kenley in the ninth inning. So yeah, you're right, that's a that's a fair question. Thanks for the phone call, can I'll try to find out where Dave's head's at with Mike Confordo moving forward in that type of situation again. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I'll also look to see what his numbers were against Kennley Jansen. That's another part of all this, right, I mean, I got to look at the matchups, what his history against Kennley Jansen was. The Dodgers obviously have that information. I'm looking it up as we speak here. But that's that's part of it as well. Let's see what he's done. Oh gosh, this is really making your case. Not only is Confordo just two for thirty one with runners in scoring position coming into the game tonight, Confordo, Oh man, I'm glad I took your calls before I'm going to tell you this. You're gonna be really mad. Uh Kenley Confordo against Kenny Jansen in his career oh for seven coming into tonight. So he's oh for eight now in his career against Kennley Jansen. Not a great matchup. All right, We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talxie. See how I did that. I took your phone calls and then I told you the matchup stats, and now I'm taking a break, and then we're gonna talk to Jose Mota. Plus I have an update on show. Hey Tany Pitching and Blake Snell joined us on the pregame show and gave us an update on where he's at and when he may return. That's a big piece to taking the burden off the bullpen. Dodgers fall to the Angels tonight, eleven to nine on a five to seventy LA.
Speaker 6: Sports on air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassa.
Speaker 5: Here's the pitch and k Hammers of all the left failed, No doubt about it. The Dodgers get home back. Keek goes halfway up to pavilion in field. Is seventh home run of the season and it's five four.
Speaker 8: Key k Hernandez a big night. Same with the Dodger offense. They scored nine runs tonight, but they fall to the Angels eleven to nine. Key k Hernandez on base all five times tonight, two for two with three walks and that home run in the fourth inning. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number before we check in with Jose Mota. I want to give you the latest on show. Hey Otani the pitcher. Today he threw a bullpen session and he threw more pitches than he has since this rehab ramp up through fifty pitches and threw all of his pitches in that bullpen session and touched ninety five miles an hour. I found this out from my good friends in the Japanese media, who obviously have their egle eyes on all that. And my understanding is they spoke to Thomas Albert, the Dodger trainer, who told them next Saturday, Shoe, Hey Otani may even throw a live batting practice session at City Field. So there you go. Things are moving in a big way for Otani to come back and pitch. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 6: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 8: All right, Jose Moda. The Dodgers score nine runs and they lose. Callers are upset that Dave Roberts did not pinch it for Michael Conforto in that situation with the bases loaded in the eighth inning off of Kenley Janssen. I find it hard to nitpick the offense after scoring nine, But do you feel like that's a fair question.
Speaker 2: It is a fair question because there's a history now with him and he has not hit beyond all the numbers you throw out, and the callers called him out in which they're right. He doesn't hit right handed pitching, which is a bigger mystery coming into today against right handed pitching. And Kelly Jenson is just not any right handed pitcher. He's dominant right handed pitcher. And I think after he filed off the first pitch, I told you, so he's going to get one pitch, he better not waste it beyond that. Then he went upstairs and got him. Look you know with that cutter. So everything on the table right now when you're not performing, and the numbers tell you in this analytic driven game that those things do matter right now. And a lot of times too, is you pressure a guy and he sent a message by saying, hey, listen, right now, you're not the best option. I do have another option, and you do go out there and make the change and just explain to him why. But you want that guy in the situation and let him know that case you just say, hey, not the best option out there, but let me tell you that I want you to be there. And this is why he did it. Yeah, I do agree that perhaps at some point against the Kelly yess and against a rity like that, you've got to go out and consider that.
Speaker 8: And on the flip side, Will Smith is one of the best hitters in baseball with runners in scoring positions. So if you're going to bring him off the bench to face ken Ley in the ninth inning as a leadoff hitter, why wouldn't you bring him up in that type of situation where he could possibly put you ahead.
Speaker 3: It all makes sense. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be a right lefty matchup right there, because Will Smith is a guy that puts the ball in play. We saw the great app that he had later in the game the following inning. Kelly is actually gets a little more frustrated pitching against guys like that to have less holes and can cover the outer half, but cutter, he he just has to go sink or he can fight it off inside too. So yeah, that's a viable option. I think next time we might see something like that. I think there's for sure everything's going to be more on the table because Michael Gonfordo and those situations is not producing right now.
Speaker 8: Fair enough Dodgers fall to the Angels tonight eleven to nine. Clayton Kershaw made his season debut tonight. We heard from Kershaw earlier in the show. What did you think, Jose from what you saw tonight?
Speaker 2: I think the only thing that he overthrew really was his curveball. Well, he threw a couple of curveballs where he just didn't have a nice grip and he overthrew those. But overall, it is just a lack of command. And then, and I'm going to put this very carefully, Okay, when you're a rehab and you're facing obviously less line ups, lesser lineups, lesser talent, and you have a lot of anxious guys at home play a lot of the pictures that he made to Ward the solaieran company most likely on rehab guys we're going to be swinging at. This is a different monster. And it's not the first time that you know, got like Kersh or big leaguerath got on rehab. But you can see that the Angels, one of the hitting teams overall in baseball, terrible against left Other pictures did have from Johnny Washington, their hitting coach, a very good plan on saying, if this pitch starts in the center, in the area you're not going to slink. Just take it and be patient, just force him into the strike zone. And that plan Payt has some in the first thing when they with thirty eight pitches after a couple of walks, he's good to see the strikeouts, go to see the velocity. I think there's going to be more on the velocity and not necessarily upticking, but just on the way the ball carries out of his hand as he pushes more and more. You know of that front of that left foot, and beyond that too is a slider. Is going to find a way as he did today with some backdoor slider early and strikes to make it look a little more more bite, and he says, ripping it a little bit better, he's going to find some rhythm. But today you got to get him a pass because there's no doubt there as well. There was a lot going on, and it's tough to admit it right after a game, but there's going to be a time when he's gonna just look at today and go, wow, there was a lot going on. I just didn't execute, But certainty it wasn't just the physical part, but also the emotional side and the part fact that you know, after a couple of surgeries, in the big week stage and down your stadium.
Speaker 3: It was a big night for him.
Speaker 2: So let's beat him this one and then hopefully he'll be better the next time, all.
Speaker 8: Right, Jose, thanks a lot for breaking that down. We'll check in with you again tomorrow as you fill in for Rick Monday on a big Sunday for the Dodgers to try to win the final game of this three game series. So far disappointing first two games from the Dodgers in this series.
Speaker 2: No doubt you got the cattle them mount and tomorrow is a new day. Go out there and go get him.
Speaker 8: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in. Appreciate it. Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers broadcast team filling in for Rick Monday, who will return during the Diamondbacks series. Dodgers fall tonight eleven to nine to the Angels, and they also lose their veteran reliever Kirby Yates, who left the game in the seventh inning with a right hamstring strain. Dave Roberts said after the game he is headed to the il and I can't remember if I'm mention this young man's name last night or the night before, but Nick Frosso was really impressive in spring training. Is it Nick Frosso time? He could really help this bullpen and certainly is a live arm that can pitch multiple innings. Eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out of Santa Rosa. Steven, You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Hi, Stephen, Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Dave?
Speaker 1: Listen to you a long time and first time. Thank you, Thank you for telling me, and no problem. I got a question, why would he start the rookie instead of Will Smith because there was a left handed pitcher and Will Smith, of course is the day game tomorrow, and then that would be his best game tomorrow. I just don't understand why Dave Roberts did that.
Speaker 8: So there's a left hander tomorrow as well, you say Kukuchi. So Dave Roberts Sam had to choose a night, and he decided to go with rushing because rushing kot Kershaw in his last rehab start. They did a game planning situation during the game last night. So that's just the way he lined it up, he chose tonight to have Smith sit and start him tomorrow for the day game against another left hander.
Speaker 1: Well, normally he doesn't do that, But so you're.
Speaker 8: Selling that's of change. I'm not sure if you noticed. Austin Barnes is not here, So things are going to be a little bit different the way he rotates the catchers because Dalton Rushing's going to push for more playing time, especially from what we've seen the first two games of his major league career Stevens. So it's not going to be Will Smith catching once a week anymore. He's going to get a few more days off in hopes of keeping him more fresh for the second half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, what do you think about I know you're a big fan of Muncie, and my seats are just looking my seats are directly looking at third base, and he cannot go to his right at all, and he's weaker.
Speaker 8: He's weaker going to the line. You're right, yes, yes, he is a step slower.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing many third basements there over the years, sitting there, he's probably the you know, the worst one I've seen, and well, come on, well I'll be the last fifteen years who.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to say he's he's not Brooks Robinson Steven, but he's uh, he's solid and he's gotten better.
Speaker 1: Well, how many airs does he have so far?
Speaker 8: I don't have that at the top of my list. I don't keep his errors right on my stats sheet here, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because there's too many, too many to jot down.
Speaker 8: Hey Steven, Wow, Hey, I gotta go. I want to share Blake Snell before I say good night. Come on, Steven. That's that's enough months he hates for one night. I mean, the guy got a big hit tonight as well. He made a leaping catch on a line drive in the second inning tonight, So come on, layoff, Max Muncie. All right. Blake Snell joined us for another snell Zilla's Saturday. I don't know if it's a regular thing, but the last two Saturdays he's opened up about where he's at and he hasn't opened up to anybody about it. So here's Blake Snell on where he's at and when he may return. No, it was good.
Speaker 17: He's just helping me with with like my timing and I'm trying to like keep it slow and go back. So I don't have any hiccups, and you know he's helping me with like, hey, just trust your body where you're at vlow wise, like don't try to do less than don't try to like manipulate your body, like let it be natural and just connected. So that's what we're working on talking about. And yeah, I felt good to feeling better and the pain's finally going away. I haven't played catch without pain and probably since we were in Japan.
Speaker 7: That's great.
Speaker 17: So yeah, I'm pretty pretty and yeah, it just feels good to finally like play catch again and like be able to work on something.
Speaker 8: Instead of just being cautious about the pain coming back. I'm sure.
Speaker 17: Yeah, thrown with pain sucks. You don't notice it when you're in it. You know, you're just like it's going to go away, because that's usually what we go through and you're like it's just early or go away. But that's pretty tough when it didn't, and you know, like I probably should have stop throwing before opening day, but I wanted to pitch so bad that you know, made it worse than then you know it was probably gonna be. But you know, I learned from it, and it's tough man, we want to compete, we want to play, and yeah, uh you know, new new, new to being a Dodger, and I want to just you know, show everyone how great I am and what I can be and got a little too far ahead of myself and yeah, learn from it. So excited about that, Excited that you know, I'm able to throw the ball, paying free for the most part, and yeah, looking forward to getting back Lake.
Speaker 8: It sounds like the coaches just want you to be honest with them and honest with yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 17: They I mean they tell me like, you know, take your time, go slow, but that's like foreign language to me. I'm just like, you know, it's always been like we need you back, we need you back. And you know I was trying to go, you know, I just I want to pitch here. I love I love being a Dodger and yeah here it take your time, and I'm gonna do that. But I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna. I want to be back. So it's I gotta find like a happy medium and be smart about it. So when I come back, I can, you know, do the best I can to stay on the roster and pitch.
Speaker 8: No doubt you gotta be honest with yourself. And once snail Zilla's back on that mound, it's gonna be a big deal for the Dodgers when he's healthy. Now, where does all this go? I mean, this is kind of tedious when we say you're playing catch? How big? How big of a day was snail Zilla's Saturday today? And where does it go the rest of the week?
Speaker 17: Yeah, just a progression build up seventy five feet and then we'll go into like one fifty and then get into bullpens after the road trip.
Speaker 8: And you need me to stand in for one of those bullpens.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean wear a diaper, but yeah, I'll be I'll be ready to go. Yeah, So you know, just we'll see how it all goes and the build up and then having Connor out there, Mark, Mark's gonna start coming out there as well. It's gonna be exciting and just to you know, be able to throw and work on stuff and and get ready to go to go compete. And you know, it's tough watching all these games, you know, you just want to be a part of. It's so bad and it's really tough to watch him and know like your day's not coming yet and it's taught me a lot about you know, being patient, being grateful, and uh, you know, it's it's tough right now, but it's short term. It's how I'm looking at it and for long term happiness, which I'm excited about.
Speaker 8: All Right, there's Blake's now. That was an exclusive conversation with him where he kind of let us know more than I was expecting about how his shoulder got hurt and where he that as far as his progression to come back, So things are moving in the right direction. He's paying free for the first time in a long time, and that's great news. So even though he has moved to the sixty DAYIL, it's backdated to the last time he pitched, which was April second, so he can be eligible to return at the end of June, first week of July. So that's the time period that the Dodgers are and Blake wants to come back, So good news. I know he wishes that he could be out there every fifth day, but that's not the way things went. Maybe, you know, like it falls into that Confordo category as well. A guy that signs a big contract with a new team wants to impress, so badly that they press and they try to do too much. And obviously from what Blake just told us there that he probably shouldn't have pushed the throwing and the bullpens and starting because he wanted to pitch on opening Day. He wanted to be there and not start the year hurt or delayed. Michael Conforto may be trying to do too much, especially in a situation like tonight bases loaded, two outs down a run or two. Those things do creep into big leaguers heads as well, But certainly the Dodgers have to take a step back and re examine in those type of situations. Does Michael Conforto get that at b again? We'll see, all right, that'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow the finale of the Freeway Series, Tony Gonsolin will be on the mound for the Dodgers. He's two to zero with an ERA of two to eighty one. I mentioned this during the Clubhouse Show. Over the course or since twenty twenty two, Tony Gonsolin has the best winning percentage of any pitcher in the National League. He is twenty six and six in the regular season since twenty twenty two. He's going up against left hander, you say, Kukuchi, who is owed four. Looking for US first win is Eras three seventy two, Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch at one ten and by the way, to hear the full conversation with Blake's now you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium. They both do a great job. They keep the levels perfect. They are the two best you will ever find at a stadium or in studio. And I love that Colin played a little Frank stallone during the broadcast tonight. All right, that'll do it for us tonight. Coming up next Fox Sports Radio. We will talk to you tomorrow from Dodgers Stadium. Have a great rest of your Saturday. Once again, the final score tonight, d Angels beat the Dodgers eleven to nine. See yum
Speaker 3: Just