Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Welcome Today, we are peering through the invisible really to understand just how enormous and maybe how fragile our planet's atmospheric bubble actually is.
Speaker 3: Quite something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forget that clean, neat blue line you see in photos from space. Earth is actually well hiding this truly massive dynamic halo of gas, right, and it stretches what a million miles out into the cosmos.
Speaker 3: It's an astounding concept. Really. It fundamentally redefines where we think our planet ends. Yeah, we're used to thinking of the atmosphere stopping neatly, you know, maybe a few hundred miles up in the thermosphere. Sure, but this outer layer, often called the geo corona, that's our true sprawling frontier. And now, for the first time, NASA is dedicating a mission solely to understanding it, and that's.
Speaker 2: Our mission today. We're going to unpack the story and the scientific promise behind the Carruthers Geocrona Observatory or CGO. This isn't just about taking pictures. It's about getting the first continuous, comprehensive movies of this dynamic invisible layer of the atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Real time dynamics.
Speaker 2: We've got a whole stack of sources detailing the history, the discovery, the really cutting edge tack involved, and what it all means scientifically.
Speaker 3: And this knowledge it matters profoundly to you listening. Yeah, this is really your shortcut to understanding the complex environment of near Earth space. It has huge implications like what well it impacts everything from how we predict dangerous space weather, you know, the stuff that threatens satellites, even our infrastructure on the ground. Okay, and maybe most immediately, how we protect the Artemis astronauts. They'll soon be traveling right through this region on their way to the Moon.
Speaker 2: Right through this invisible halo exactly.
Speaker 3: So we're going to map Earth's invisible reach and explain why it really governs our cosmic future in some important ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's unpack this. We should probably start with the basics, the fundamental physics. We've used a couple of big terms already, the exosphere and the geo corona, right before we dive into the new mission itself, which sounds like an engineering marvel. We need to know what this invisible barrier actually is, what's it made of? How does it stretch so darn far?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the exosphere is the key thing here. Structurally speaking. It is the outermost layer, really the most tenuous layer of our atmosphere.
Speaker 2: How far up does it start?
Speaker 3: It starts roughly three hundred to maybe six hundred miles up. It varies a bit, depends on solar activity. Okay, think of it as the boundary zone. It's where the atmosphere just gradually, almost chaotically, dissipates into the vacuum of interplanetary space.
Speaker 2: So we're talking way above the International Space Station, way above most low Earth satellite.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, much higher.
Speaker 2: If it's so diffuse, so thin, what's actually in it? Is it just like a random mix of gases that floated.
Speaker 3: Up mostly No. Theorists figured this out a long time ago, and we've confirmed it now. It's overwhelmingly made. The lightest element there is neutral hydrogen.
Speaker 2: Atoms just hydrogen. Why hydrogen?
Speaker 3: Well, because the atmosphere gets progressively hotter as you go up through the thermosphere right right, So the atoms way up at this altitude, they get really energized. They're moving at extreme speeds.
Speaker 2: Ah. So this sounds like that process thermal escape, where things get so hot and move so fast they can just overcome gravity.
Speaker 3: That's exactly the mechanism. Hydrogen atoms are incredibly light, so light that when they reach the exosphere, their thermal velocity their speed is often high enough to actually exceed Earth's escape velocity.
Speaker 2: They can just leave.
Speaker 3: They can just leave. I mean, these individual atoms are traveling in these chaotic, ballistic paths. Some fall back towards Earth's sure, but many escape entirely. They just slowly bleed off into interplanetary space. It's happening constantly.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So if it's just individual hydrogen atoms floating around, really spread out, why can't we see it. You call it a halo, which makes me think of light. But you also said it's invisible.
Speaker 3: Right, good question. That's where the geocrona comes in. The geocrona is basically the invisible light show that reveals the shape, the density, and the extent of the exosphere. Ok, it's a faint halo, but it's made of ultraviolet light UV light specifically, it's radiation caused by sunlight interacting with those hydrogen atoms solar lime and alpha light.
Speaker 2: To be precise, liman alpha, that's the characteristic spectral line of hydrogen, isn't it exactly?
Speaker 3: So when the hydrogen atoms way out there in the exosphere get hit by this liman alpha radiation coming from the Sun, they absorb that energy for a split second, and then they immediately rea or scatter that same UV photon ah, like a tiny echo sort of. Yeah, And this scattering process creates a measurable glow, but it's incredibly faint, and it's in the UV spectrum, which our eyes can't see.
Speaker 2: So that faint UV glow is the geo corona.
Speaker 3: That's the geo corona, and you need very specialized instruments UV cameras to actually map its shape and monitor how it changes over time.
Speaker 2: So we've got this enormous escaping cloud of hydrogen that's the exosphere, and it's revealed only by its faint UV glow. That's the Geo Corona.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: What's fascinating, though, is that even before this brand new mission, scientists kind of knew the Geo Corona was hiding this massive secret about how big our atmosphere really is.
Speaker 3: That's right before cgo, the new NASA effort, we had very little comprehensive data, just snapshots. Really, scientists could only speculate, sometimes wildly, about how far the atmosphere truly extended, what were.
Speaker 2: The boundaries, how did it all work internally exactly?
Speaker 3: And that uncertainty was entirely rooted in the fact that we can couldn't see it clearly, not from Earth, not even from low Earth orbit. You really need to get outside the halo to properly measure the.
Speaker 2: Halo, which brings us perfectly to a moment in space history that's absolutely fundamental here. It's why this new observatory is needed, and it explains the name we have to talk about. The pioneer, doctor George Carruthers.
Speaker 3: Yes, doctor Carruthers, a brilliant physicist and engineer. He really dedicated his career to developing these highly specialized untraviolet cameras needed to see the GEO Corona.
Speaker 2: He was instrumental, wasn't it, and showing that we could actually map this incredibly faint UV light and get meaningful data from it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and the sources make clear this wasn't an overnight thing. He didn't just sketch the final instrument on a napkin. No, he had to launch prototypes first on sounding rockets, test rockets. It was a methodical, step by step process of refining the technology needed to capture this specific kind of light that nobody had really imaged well before.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a huge technical challenge. UV light is gets absorbed.
Speaker 3: Easily, tremendous challenge. UV is easily absorbed by normal glass, even by the thin atmosphere itself if you're too close. So building a working camera meant dealing with vacuum technology, unique materials for lenses and detectors, really pushing the envelope.
Speaker 2: And all that were culminated in this pivotal moment in April nineteen seventy two during the Apollo sixteen mission.
Speaker 3: That's the one people think of Apollo from moon rocks geology. Mostly yeah, but this was a key scientific experiment that had nothing directly to do with the moons. Surface itself.
Speaker 2: What did they do?
Speaker 3: As part of their lunar surface activities? The Apollo sixteen astronauts John Young and Charles Duke set up Coruther's specially developed camera. It was called the far UV Camera Spectrograph. Right did they put it right there on the Moon in the Descartes Highlands region? Wow?
Speaker 2: So this was it, This instrument sitting on the Moon's surface looking back at Earth. It gave humanity our first direct, clear glimpse of the GEO Corona mapped against the blackness of space.
Speaker 3: The images were historic, groundbreaking.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a total scientific triumph. But you said earlier there was a twist. This is where it gets really interesting.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The images were stunning, but they also revealed a massive problem with how we understood the atmosphere's scale exactly.
Speaker 3: The finding was so unexpected that Laura Waldrop, who's the principal investigator for the new CGEO mission, she described those original Apollo sixteen results as really shocking.
Speaker 2: Shocking. Why shocking? What did they see or not see?
Speaker 3: Well? The shock was that the camera, even though it was way out there on the Moon, wasn't actually far into a way to capture the entire Geo corona in its field of view.
Speaker 2: Wait, seriously, the camera on the Moon was too close.
Speaker 3: Too close. They discovered that the camera was sitting inside this massive atmosphere kalo itself. Yes, this light, fluffy cloud of hydrogen extended much much farther from Earth's surface than any existing theory, any model had predicted up to that point.
Speaker 2: That is, that's an incredible thought. We sent a camera a quarter of a million miles away to the Moon, thinking we get a good look from the outside, and we realized we were still basically swimming in Earth's atmosphere. That just tells you everything about the scale we were underestimating.
Speaker 3: It completely blew the existing theories out of the water.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: They were proven incomplete instantly. Before Apollo sixteen, atmospheric models were pretty conservative about.
Speaker 2: The upper limits, and after.
Speaker 3: Based on that initial nineteen seventy two data, the scientific consensus had to shift dramatically. The exosphere. This hydrogen halo is now thought to stretch at least halfway to the Moon.
Speaker 2: Halfway, so that's nearly one hundred and twenty thousand.
Speaker 3: Miles out at a minimum. It's huge.
Speaker 2: So this is why the new mission is absolutely vital. Apollo sixteen give us this shocking snapshot proved it was massive. But the new Corruther's Geocrona Observatory is designed to finally show us how this gigantic structure moves, how it changes over time, the dynamic.
Speaker 3: That's the perfect analogy. It's the difference between looking at a single photograph of a river versus on watching a continuous high resolution movie of its currents, its eddies, its floods, its flow patterns.
Speaker 2: Seeing the whole system in action exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's really fitting that this modern mission, designed to finally capture the full scope the dynamics of this region, is named in honor of doctor Carruthers, the scientists who first proved it existed and showed us just how enormous it truly was.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's shift gears. Then let's talk about the engineering and the orbital mechanics of this new mission. If the Apollo sixteen camera on the Moon was too close, where does the Coruthers Geocorna Observatory CGO need to go to get that complete view?
Speaker 3: It needs to get far away, much much farther than the Moon. The CGO spacecraft itself it's relatively compact, the sources say about five hundred and thirty one pounds, roughly the size of a love seat sofa.
Speaker 2: A scientific love seat floating way out there pretty much.
Speaker 3: But its destination is the absolutely critical part.
Speaker 2: So what's its main job out there?
Speaker 3: Its primary goal is capture those first continuous movies of Earth's entire exosphere, reveal not just its overall size, but its complex internal dynamics.
Speaker 2: Like how the hydrogen atoms get accelerated, where they escape from, how the solar wind pushes them.
Speaker 3: Around precisely that continuous full disc view showing change over time. That's the data we've literally never had before.
Speaker 2: And the launch itself is interesting. CGO isn't going up alone, is it. It's part of a bigger package deal, which kind of speaks to its strategic importance in understanding the whole solar environment.
Speaker 3: That's right. It's launching fingers crossed for the schedule no earlier than Tuesday, September twenty third, from NASA's Kennedy Space Center aboard of SpaceX Falcon nine rocket, and it is launching alongside two other incredibly critical missions. It's a trio heading out together, creating this powerful synergistic observing platform.
Speaker 2: Okay, walk us through the companions. Who else is hitching a ride and how do they connect to CGO.
Speaker 3: So launching the CGO, we have NASA's IMAP, that's the Interstellar Mapping and Acceleration Probe and NOAA's sd WFO L one satellite. SWFO stands for Space Weather follow on and the L one tells you the destination.
Speaker 2: Ah, so all three are headed for the same spot exactly.
Speaker 3: They're all heading toward the same very strategic destination point in space.
Speaker 2: Lagrange point one lagarannge point one L one. Let's pause there, because that location is key hy L one. What makes it so special gratationally that it's the only practical place for CGO to get this view.
Speaker 3: L one is crucial because it directly addresses that core lesson from a poly sixteen. You need distance and you need stability. L one is this specific gravitationally balanced point in space.
Speaker 2: Where is it.
Speaker 3: It's positioned about one million miles from Earth, but closer to the Sun along the Sun Earth.
Speaker 2: Line one million miles. Okay, that's roughly four times farther away than the Moon exactly.
Speaker 3: And that distance finally, gives CGO the clear, unobstructed field of view it needs to capture the entire geo corona without being inside it.
Speaker 2: And why is it stable? What does lagrange point mean?
Speaker 3: Okay, So L one is one of five special points in the Sun Earth system where the gravitational pulls of the Sun and the Earth plus the centrifugal force of orbiting all balance out almost.
Speaker 2: Perfectly, like a gravitational saddle point.
Speaker 3: Kind of Yeah, So placing a spacecraft there means it can stay relatively stationary with respect to Earth, using minimal fuel for station keeping. It effectively orbits the Sun with the Earth, but staying in that balance spot ahead of us.
Speaker 2: So it offers this continuously stable, unhindered viewpoint looking back at Earth, always seeing the sunlit side without Earth ever blocking the view.
Speaker 3: That continuous stable perspective is the key. It avoids all the scattered light issues and background interference that hampered the Apollo sixteen view, and it allows for uninterrupted monitoring of how the geocrona reacts to things coming from the Sun.
Speaker 2: How long does it take to get there?
Speaker 3: The cruise phase to reach L one is about four months, and this is maybe a one month checkout period once.
Speaker 2: It arrives and then the science starts.
Speaker 3: Then the primary science phase begins, planned for March twenty twenty six, and it's set to last for at least two years.
Speaker 2: Okay, now let's look back to those co launching partners IMAPP and SWFOL one. Why are they necessary neighbors for CGO at L one. If CGO is watching the atmospheric response, what are IMAP and SWFOL one doing measuring the cause?
Speaker 3: It's a perfect setup for cause and effects science. SWFOL one being right there between the Sun and Earth at L one, its main job is to steer at the Sun looking for trouble exactly, monitoring solar flares, watching for coronal mass ejections CMEs. It's designed to provide crucial early warnings, sometimes hours before those energetic particles or plasma clouds actually arrive at Earth. It's NAA's frontline space weather outpost.
Speaker 2: So SWFAL one is the warning system. It measures the incoming energy blast correct.
Speaker 3: IMAPP, meanwhile, is a bit different. It's designed to study the more fundamental physics of the heliosphere. That's the giant magnetic bubble created by the Sun that involves the solar system.
Speaker 2: How particles get accelerated by the Sun, and how the solar wind works.
Speaker 3: That kind of stuff, right, how the solar wind interacts with the interstellar medium beyond our system. It measures the fundamental properties of the solar wind itself, the magnetic feels the cosmic rays constantly bombarding us. It's looking at the ambient conditions in the particle physics.
Speaker 2: Okay, So SWFOL one sees the big eruptions coming. IM measures the details of the particles and fields within those eruptions, and just the general solar wind. And then CGO takes the baton. It watches how Earth's tenuous exosphere, our outermost boundary, reacts in real time to those measured inputs from its neighbors.
Speaker 3: Precisely, that systematic view lets scientists directly connect the dots. Here's the solar event from SWFOO one. Here are the properties of the particles hitting us from IM, and here's exactly how the geocorna responded. From CGO.
Speaker 2: It creates this incredibly comprehensive picture of space weather, doesn't it From the eruption source, through its journey across space right to its impact on our planet's boundary layer.
Speaker 3: It maximizes the scientific return for all three missions. They really complement each other perfectly. Now.
Speaker 2: To actually capture these continuous movies from L one, CGO uses two main instruments, right, both specialize UV cameras, but they work together.
Speaker 3: Yes, two cameras designed to cover both the close in action near Earth and the vast far out scope simultaneously. They look at slightly different things.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the first one.
Speaker 3: The first is the Near Field Imager. As the name suggests, this camera is optimized to look closer to the planet. It uses a specific range of UV wave of length suited for that region.
Speaker 2: The mission scientist said, it lets them zoom up really close. What are they looking for right near the planet? Isn't the main action way out?
Speaker 3: Well, they need to see the source dynamics too. The Near Field Imager focuses on how the exosphere is varying closer in, where is the hydrogen coming from, maybe from water molecules breaking down lower down? What are the initial escape processes?
Speaker 2: Ah tracking atoms just starting their journey or maybe falling back Exactly.
Speaker 3: It requires different optical properties because the UV light scatter is actually denser closer to Earth, so you need to filter image that differently than the really faint stuff way out.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's the close up view, then there must be the wide field imager. Is that the one designed to solve the Apollo sixteen problem seeing the.
Speaker 3: Whole picture precisely? The wide field imager is built with a much larger field of view. It lets them see the full scope and expanse of the exosphere, as they put it, and crucially, crucially, how that whole hydrogen cloud is changing far far away from Earth's surface, out where the atoms are truly making their escape, where the interaction with the solar wind is most direct. That's the region Apollo sixteen showed us was so unexpectedly huge.
Speaker 2: So by using different UV wavelengths, different sensitivities, different fields of view, these two imagers together will map not just where the hydrogen is right, but also things like its velocity, the direction is traveling, the rate at which it's escaping as it moves through the geo corona and out into space.
Speaker 3: That's the goal to get the full forty picture three D space plus time, which.
Speaker 2: Brings us finally to the really big so what question. Okay, we map the dynast of this million mile long hydrogen halo in exquisite detail. What does that actually do for us here on Earth and maybe even beyond.
Speaker 3: Well, the most immediate, you could say life critical relevance of this mission is space weather forecasting and tied to that planetary protection.
Speaker 2: Right, which is why it's launching with NOAA's dedicated space weather satellite SWFOL one exactly.
Speaker 3: We often talk about solar flares or CMEs reaching Earth, causing those beautiful auroras, but also potentially knocking out power grids or damaging satellites. Yeah, but we have to remember those eruptions, that blast of energy and particles, it hits the exosphere, in the ionosphere first, that's the front line it is, and.
Speaker 2: The exosphere acts as our first line of defense or maybe more like the first point of contact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe point of contact is better. When those highly energized particles from the Sun slam into those hydrogen atoms and the geo corona, it triggers this complex chain reaction that energy cascades downwards, eventually causing those dangerous geomagnetic storms closer to the ground.
Speaker 2: So understanding how the exosphere initially reacts, does it compress, does it expand does it channel that energy differently depending on the storm. That's essential for making better predictions.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely essential for refining the forecast models. If we know the state of the geocurana before the storm hits and we see how it responds initially, we can predict the downstream effects much more accurately.
Speaker 2: And this connects directly to human exploration, doesn't it. You mentioned Artemis, this is a core requirement for protecting those astronauts.
Speaker 3: It really is. When astronauts travel beyond Earth's protect magnetic field, which they do on the way to the Moon or Mars, they are far more vulnerable to intense bursts of radiation from severe space weather events.
Speaker 2: That journey to the Moon takes several days. They need highly accurate real time forecasts to know if a big solar particle event is coming, so they know when to shelter inside the most shielded parts of their spacecraft.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Knowing the density, the structure, the dynamics of the the exosphere, which is what CGO will map continuously, helps make those radiation predictions much more reliable. It provides better input data for the complex models that forecast radiation exposure levels.
Speaker 2: So if we can accurately forecast that initial atmospheric reaction cgoces.
Speaker 3: We give the crews a much safer transit window for traveling to the Moon and eventually for future Mars missions too. It's about managing risk.
Speaker 2: Okay, so astronaut safety is paramount, But let's pivot to the second big science goal, this whole atmospheric escape process. You mentioned hydrogen is a building block of water ho So when CGO maps escaping hydrogen, are we fundamentally talking about understanding how Earth holds onto its water over geological time, or maybe how it slowly loses it.
Speaker 3: That's precisely what we're getting at, and for me, this is one of the most exciting aspects of cgeoscience. When we map the precise rate the mechanisms of hydrogen escape today, we are shedding light on this absolutely crucial planetary question. Why does Earth have oceans? Why does it retain vast amounts of water while other seemingly similar planets like Mars or maybe even Venus, appear to have lost most of airs over billions of years.
Speaker 2: It's that fundamental planetary struggle, isn't it between keeping your water and having it stripped away or leak out.
Speaker 3: It is. We think Mars was much wetter and warmer early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, the evidence for ancient rivers and lakes is pretty strong.
Speaker 3: But then it lost its global magnetic field, its atmosphere thinned out, and most of the surface water vanished. How exactly did that happen? Atmospheric escaped the main driver.
Speaker 2: So a planet's ability to hold onto water seems directly linked to its ability to stop its atmospheric hydrogen from escaping too quickly.
Speaker 3: That seems to be a key factor. Yeah, and CGO is giving us the detailed physics for Earth we need to know. Is the escape purely thermal just atoms getting hot and fast enough, or is the solar wind actively stripping away hydrogen through electrical interactions? Is it a combination.
Speaker 2: By quantifi ying Earth's current escape rate and mechanisms the ones happening right now, we.
Speaker 3: Get a master key, a baseline for understanding that cosmic puzzle, not just here, but across the Solar System and importantly beyond, which.
Speaker 2: Leads us naturally to the biggest picture of all exoplanets. You're saying, the data CGO gathers about atmospheric escape right here on Earth will greatly inform our understanding of exoplanets planets orbiting other stars.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this is where the physics becomes truly universal, or at least applicable far beyond home. We're discovering thousands of new exoplanets all the time now, thanks to missions like Kepler and tests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the numbers are staggering, but.
Speaker 3: The monumental challenge isn't just finding them. It's figuring out which ones might actually be habitable, and not just habitable now, but habitable long term.
Speaker 2: And habitability isn't just about being the right distance from the star for liquid water the quote unquote habitable zone. It's also about whether the planet can actually hold onto an atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Right. That's becoming increasingly clear a planet needs to keep its atmosphere intact over billions of years. CGO helps us understand how quickly their atmospheres can escape under different conditions.
Speaker 2: Give us an example.
Speaker 3: Okay, think about planets orbiting M dwarf stars. These are the most common type of star in the galaxy, small dim red stars. To be warm enough for liquid water, a planet has to orbit incredibly close to an M dwarf, much closer than Earth orbits the Sun. But the problem is many m dwarfs are highly unstable, especially when young. They erupt with powerful flares much more frequently and intensely than our Sun sometimes.
Speaker 2: Ah So a planet orbiting super close gets blasted by these flares, constantly.
Speaker 3: Gets blasted, and that intense radiation and particle wind can aggressively strip away a planet's atmosphere over time, especially lighter gases like hydrogen.
Speaker 2: So even if a planet is in the habitable zone today based on temperature, if it's losing its atmosphere rapidly due to its stars activity.
Speaker 3: It won't be able to hold on to liquid water on its surface for the long haul, not long enough for life as we know it to potentially evolve. It might just be a dry, barren rock despite being in the right place.
Speaker 2: So CGO is effectively building the physics rule book for atmospheric survival.
Speaker 3: In a way. Yes, it's providing the robust, detailed physics models based on a planet we know does support life and has retained water. Earth scientists can then take those models, scale them for different star types, different planetary masses, different magnetic.
Speaker 2: Fields, and plug them into observations of exoplanets to better estimate their long term habitability, their water retention potential exactly.
Speaker 3: It helps us move beyond just checking the distance box to making more dynamic forecasts so about whether an atmosphere could actually stick around.
Speaker 2: So this mission cgo, it really is far more than just a survey of our immediate cosmic backyard Rushmore, it's helping define the very parameters of planetary survival potentially across the universe. It shifts the focus, adding atmospheric dynamics and retention capability as this critical filter for identifying potentially living worlds.
Speaker 3: It connects our planet's smallest, lightest component, that escaping hydrogen, to the biggest, most profound questions as ronomers are asking today about life elsewhere. It's a really elegant scientific bridge that.
Speaker 2: Brings us towards the end of this exploration into the invisible. What we've uncovered today is really fascinating. The legacy of doctor George Correthers that shocking discovery from a poll sixteen, realizing we were living inside this giant, invisible atmospheric halo. It directly drove the need for this new Correther's geocrona observatory.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and the cgomission strategically carked out at L one is set up to serve these two critical dual scientific purposes. First immediate planetary.
Speaker 2: Protection right improving space weather forecast for Artemis astronauts, for our satellites, maybe even for ground systems.
Speaker 3: And second, deep cosmic discovery mapping hydrogen escape to finally understand water retention here on Earth and using that knowledge to assess the long term habitability of planets far beyond our Solar system. It's really covering millions of miles of critical scientific territory.
Speaker 2: It is truly amazing to think that our atmosphere effectively stretches out four times farther than the Moon, and that we had to go a million miles away just to get a good look back at the sheer scope of our own home.
Speaker 3: It really reframes your perspective, doesn't it. And maybe this raises an important final thought for you, the listener, to consider as we wrap up. The cgomission is teaching us that Earth's influence stretches way way out there, a million miles into space, far beyond where we traditionally thought the edge of our atmosphere was. So what other atmosphere processes, maybe things happening in layers closer to the ground, say the ionosphere or even the mesosphere, layers that are absolutely critical for things like radio communication and GPS navigation. What other processes in those regions might we be currently underestimating or only partially understanding, simply because we haven't yet built the right dedicated tools to observe them continuously with this kind of focus.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's a great point. Are there other invisible halos or dynamics closer in that we just haven't seen properly yet?
Speaker 3: It makes you wonder, doesn't it. It seems the deeper we look and the more specialized our tools become, the more complex, interconnected, and frankly vast our home planet reveals itself to be.