Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get.
Speaker 3: It started the four o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon coffee and company fuel about Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshming Awards program if you haven't already, you'll save money at the gas pump and life will just be better. I can't guarantee that, but I stand by it. And if you are a member, in your life has not become better for being a member of the Thornton's Refreshment Awards Program.
Speaker 2: I'd say that's a U issue. That's like a you thing.
Speaker 3: You need to maybe reevaluate some things on your end, because it certainly is not a Thornton's issue. Again, that's my words, not theirs. And you know we are proudly fueled bout Thornton's Here Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery alongside as we take you up until six o'clock. I can't ignore it. I did it again. I don't know what's what's happening. Maybe it was my recent induction of the North Bullet Athletic Hall of Fame, where the Bullet County in me is just is just oozing out because when I said it was the four o'clock hour, I didn't say that. I said, it's the four o'clock hour. Are it's the four o'clock are?
Speaker 2: Oh you are?
Speaker 3: And we're gonna go get our all changed in Mount Washington out in Bullet County, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, just Washington. It's you ever.
Speaker 3: Met somebody from Mount Washington. They're gonna let you know, yeah, and they'll correct you if you call it Mount Washington. I think, yeah, at least in there, at least some of them will. But anyways, I'm not as worried about this YouTube TV situation as as maybe some others are. And if you are worried, I get it. But we are at a point to where you can just can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have YouTube TV. I had it for a long time.
Speaker 3: In fact, the price has gone up substantially since I signed up, going on gosh eight years now, a seven years ish, so you know, I'm you know, it's not super cheap, and I remember whenever the latest price increase happened, I really did kind of You know, I'm not one that I mean.
Speaker 2: I put it this way.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy who pays for these minimal monthly subscriptions for things that I forget I signed up for. And it's not even it's not even that I am that I'm forgetting that I signed up for a trial, because that happens a lot. That's how they get you, right, You've got a trial for three days and then people forget about it, and then they end up paying on it for years. I mean, I've done that before, but for me, it's more so a all right, it's three bucks a month, who cares? And it really isn't much money, But it's the waste of money if I don't even remember what it is, because clearly I'm not using it. So the reason I haven't canceled YouTube TV is just because I'm a procrastinator. But when it comes to things that I watch, there really isn't anything that I.
Speaker 2: Have to have YouTube TV for.
Speaker 3: I think knowing that I can just I w a live TV and pull up a guide is something that I would feel lost without.
Speaker 2: Although I will stay corrected.
Speaker 3: Last time we talked about this, I didn't realize that if you have ESPN Plus, you don't get all the ESPN channels. You have to have a subscription that includes the ESPN family of stations in order to get that. So you have to have something. But honestly, I hate to give them a free plug here, but I kind of feel like the best way to do it is if you have Internet with Spectrum, which I do, just get their digital service and you'll bundle that and you'll probably save money because I already have like HBO Max, I have Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, Pair Amount, and I don't you know, I probably don't need all of those, but I have them and I've watched something on all of them to where at least at some point I felt like, hey, I'm glad I have this. So anyways, YouTube TV is my login. What I mean by that is when I go to some of these things like ESPN Plus or if I'm going to cause you have to, you have to sign in and show that you do have a subscription to a company that has the rights to have these channels that you can watch. So the reason I'm bringing this whole thing up, and I probably should have led with this instead of just diving right in thinking everybody knows, but currently there is a dispute between YouTube TV and Paramount. Now, Paramount happens to own all of the TV stations that are going to be broadcasting NCAA tournament games March Madness. So this is a believe the second time YouTube TV in recent months has had a dispute that has left customers with some amount of time where they won't have a channel that they pay for. Now YouTube TV they do, in fact, they do give you like you know, they'll I don't know if it's they minimize your bill for a brief month. I don't know how they do it, but they at least tell you, hey, while you're not getting this channel. Well, I guess you know what do they call it? I can't think of the word bad for somebody that you know talks on the radio. But basically they will take out a small amount of money from your bill. That is, that is essentially you no longer paying for one or two three channels that you no longer have access to because of their dispute.
Speaker 2: So YouTube TV.
Speaker 3: Subscribers were send an email I believe it was last night informing them that Paramount Networks could go dark as soon as Tuesday, which if you know which is, you know, next Tuesday. I mean it's coming up within the next you know, less than a week away. So whenever you see both sides, meaning YouTube TV and Paramount, doing the pr thing letting everybody know that it's the other one's fault, that's when you know that both sides have accepted the fact that they're going to blame each other, but they know that customers will be without that that channel or channels for however long it takes for them to, you know, to to get it figured out. So the reason I'm not worries because I don't have like a year long I don't have like a multi year contract with YouTube TV. That is one of the benefits of it. I can just cancel at any time and it's done. So then I can go sign up for a Hulu Live that'll have it. I can go sign up for a Fubo, which apparently is really popular. I can do the Spectrum thing, which I haven't given much effort as far as looking into if it is cheaper. But I kind of feel like, since I already pay for internet with Spectrum, if they just give me access to their television subscription, digitally where I just download their app and watch it on my rokup or my smart TV, Like I feel like I would save money. So maybe this because look, I'm not gonna miss March Madness, I'll cancel. I will This was where YouTube TV will lose me and they'll be fine without me.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like I think with their recent price increase, a lot of people are starting to think, like, do I really need YouTube TV because because I think right now you can probably get live TV in that same in the same way, meaning you know, streamed for cheaper like Hulu Live is a little more expensive, but again you're also getting Hulu with it, which has you.
Speaker 2: Know full That's what I have is Hulu Hulu Live.
Speaker 3: You like it?
Speaker 2: I like it? Well, we we steal it off her parents.
Speaker 3: But yes, well you know, regardless of what if what you pay or don't pay for it. But as far as like the product, you think, it's fine.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it still has it has the ESPN package and the ACC network so we get to watch all that kind of stuff too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, again, both sides blame each other. This is not just a YouTube TV thing. I mean there have been before the digital world really took over as far as people now watching television through a streaming platform. I mean, there were people that had Direct TV or Dish that didn't have like the CBS affiliate for for months. There was, in fact, one of the carriers, it might have been Dish network that did not have CBS during the NSAA tournament one year because they were without it for like months, and that a big deal. So, you know, I just I bring it up to say you should be prepared if you're somebody that has YouTube TV, because a lot of people, you know, out of sight, out of mind, they're busy, they're not keeping up with this kind of stuff. They may just try to turn it on one day and not have it. And if that happens, you know, don't be alarmed because you know you've been given at least somewhat of a heads up.
Speaker 2: And that is the benefit of this new thing.
Speaker 3: Because Direct TV used to get you on these contracts where you'd have to sign a multi year deal to where if you want out of it, you got to pay them money.
Speaker 2: You know, they'll then charge you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this was Direct TV or Dish or what it was, but there were there were some that when you'd cancel your contract if you could get out of your contract, as far as the amount you would owe to get out, like if if you were able to fight your way out of that, what they would do is say, well, now you owe us for the equipment that you now own that we don't want back because it's old, and you know they'll try to get you in some way. But it's not just the channels that you know have games that are going to be having instable A tournament games, because obviously you've got CBS, and I mean it sounds weird now, but trust me, when we get to March Badness, you'll remember, oh yeah, true TV. I do have that channel TVs t n T, which I still think it's weird instead of a tournament games are on those stations.
Speaker 2: But you know.
Speaker 3: It's been many years now that we've that we've watched it that way. So if you're somebody that's listening that is not super interested in the instable A tournament, which I can't imagine, we reach a lot of those people. But just know, Paramount is not just those channels I mentioned that are gonna have Instabla tournament games. We're Talking Comedy Central, CMT, MTV, all of their channels, v H one, TV, Land channels I'm not real familiar with, like Smithsonian Channel, teen, Nick, even Paramount, which of course has these humongous hitch these these shows that are humongous hits, like Yellowstone and land Man, Nickelodeon, Nick, Junior News Nation. So there's a lot of stations that are currently included in YouTube TV that if they don't figure it out, we're going to be without. And as soon as I'm without, that's that's me saying goodbye and finding a new one. And you know what'll probably happen a few years ago by maybe not even that long, and then they'll have another dispute. It'll be Fubo or Hulu that's having the same dispute, and then I'll have to go to another one that's worked it out. So what people said whenever everybody was cutting the cord has actually happened, And what they were saying is that we're gonna end up paying separately for all this stuff, and we're actually gonna end up paying as much.
Speaker 2: Or more than we did when we had one of.
Speaker 3: These subscriptions to a direct TV edition network or a Spectrum, Time Warner or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Do you still know a lot of people that still only have like your basic cable packages.
Speaker 3: I don't, and there's a lot of them out there, but I don't, and that doesn't surprise me. Like, I mean, I think you no both of my I got my dad and his wife on YouTube TV when we did it, and I think it was and I shouldn't mean that like I've convinced him and sold it to them. But I think what happens is that you end up maybe I don't know, moving, or you're about to redo your deal with one of those big companies that's been around forever, and you just think, because that's what I did, I just said, look, I'll try the streaming thing and if it works and I'm saving a lot of money, then I'll be fine. If not, I'll go back to it. Because I used to be fearful of cutting the cord. The thought of needing the internet to watch TV was something that made me nervous. But now, I mean, the internet is how we do everything. So my mom and stepdad they live in an area to where I think, in fact, I think it was Dish Network. My stepdad he was one of the like put it this way, his account number was in the one hundreds, meaning your account number is just one by one. So like he was in the he was in the you know, he was one of the first I don't know couple hundred people that ever had direct TV, and it's because where he lives at the time, there was no way for him to get anything else other than satellite television. And that's when that was you know, it's what you know, it's what they call it, Dish network. So with Dish Network, maybe it was DirecTV one of those two. He was there for a long time and you know, a loyal customer, and finally they kept they kept raising his bill and he would call and say, look, I you know, I don't know if I can afford this, or I don't know if I can justify this expense, just because it's gone.
Speaker 2: Up quite a bit.
Speaker 3: And for years, and I mean years, they would say, Okay, they would see that number and realize this is somebody that's been with us forever, and they would they would give him somewhat of a discount, and then finally it just got so expensive to where they wouldn't you know, they wouldn't do that, and he decided to cut the cord and that's what led to him having you know, YouTube TV like a lot of people do. So it is wild though, because you asked me that question, and I really, I mean I really. Even my wife's grandparents, like they're now on YouTube TV, and that's one's impressed. That's something they asked for like two years ago for Christmas, like, hey, can you just get us set up? We'll pay the bill, but can somebody maybe get us like a road crew or help us get it set That's what they wanted for Christmas. So there are still plenty of people that utilize either a dish satellite or your basic cable which is which is spectrum here locally. But I don't know many like people that I you know, that are in my life, whether it be friends, family, colleagues. I mean I don't, I don't. I can't tell you who each and every one of my you know who my friends and family. I can't tell you what they all have. But anybody that like I'm at their house or we end up talking about what you have, they don't have it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just kind of you know, wild world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cord cutting thing sure enough, really took off in like the last five or six years.
Speaker 4: And it's come back full circle now to where there's now you can't skip commercials unless you have like the premium edition of it. And then now mostly a lot of these sites are doing what their premium shows. They only release like half a season and wait until like six months down the road to do the other half. And that's what I thought, that we cut the cord forward for the binge watching process, the no commercials process, and it's kind of came full circle all the way back to where it's.
Speaker 2: Like cable again.
Speaker 4: And I guess my biggest problem, I guess is when it's like football season and they'll sometimes like to do things on Peacock or on Netflix or what they did this past year. Just like first world problems. I just hate jumping from app to app because I like the channel surf and so it's not that easy to do. These apps take a good ten seconds to boot up, and you're missing valuable action, especially when you have when any have plays on the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I can live with that, and really, more than anything, I'm just used to it now. But I will say whenever I'm at like and this is a weird When I'm at a hotel and they you can tell they're not relying on a connection as far as Internet.
Speaker 2: They're relying on.
Speaker 3: Like that coax cable that's in the back of the TV. It's more instantaneous like that is like a pretty awesome feeling, like, Okay, I didn't have to wait like a second and a half or maybe just a second before it got me to where I needed to go. But again, I've now done it for eight nine years to where I'm clearly used to it. But I'm reading here at awful Announcing dot Com that it seems like they're speculating that both sides, meaning YouTube TV and Paramount, see mid March as sort of like an unofficial deadline with March Madness getting close. But so far they have made and this is where we are, and it's not uncommon where it's public from both sides that they're blaming the other one. That means they're ready to fight. And three people have texted in in this segment to say that whenever they had Spectrum and there was an issue with ESPN and Disney, I forgot all about this. When Jeff Bram coached his first game, when Louisville played Georgia Tech on a Friday night in Atlanta. I forgot that if you had Spectrum, you were not able to watch because of a similar dispute, and that led to people really just you know, having the initiative and the real you know, like if there's something that's going to really get you to look into what other options you have as far as how you consume television. Not being able to watch your favorite team play, considering it's probably the only thing you really watch live, like that'll get you to do it.
Speaker 2: And then I bet.
Speaker 3: And again, these three people that have texted in in this segment have said that, like they should have done it lot a lot longer ago, because it's true, like nobody watches anything live for the most part of even sports, right, like even the news, Like even the news. I I find myself maybe it's just me getting older. I do watch the news because you know, I I mean, it's not something I watch every day, but like if there's nothing on, I'll put it on the news if it's on, sure, But also if I want to just watch the news, I now can watch it. If the news came on at you know, ten pm on DRB and I wanted to watch DRB.
Speaker 2: I can, I can?
Speaker 3: I know that at midnight, I can just pull it up and it'll you know, it'll be there because it's in my cloud.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So as far as what you really have to watch live, it's sports. I mean, you don't have to watch it live, but it's just certain sporting events. It's going to be hard for you to not know what the outcome is of a game unless you're watching it live, because it's just, you know, it's everywhere now. You can't pull up your phone on a social media app and not you know, see a score of a game that you were hoping to not see.
Speaker 2: It's just how it is.
Speaker 3: Especially if like you're thinking about the game and hoping that you don't see it, you'll probably pull out your phone and one of these apps is going to be able to read your mind, like we talked about yesterday and show you what they think you want to see.
Speaker 4: I will say there is something comforting about like when I used to get off at a good time or just you know, I get home a little bit later now, but there is always something comforting and getting home and like watching the news and chilling out because that's always what I used to do when I can't, like, that's what that's what my parents did, and like Wheel of Fortune would come on, and then like Jeopardy. I don't mind watching that kind of stuff live, but it's just unless I make it an option to go out of my way to do that, then I really don't. But I will say there is something comforting about watching that. It makes me feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't know, but you don't seek it out right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sitting home and like I got to turn on the news, will of Fortune's coming on. If I just happen to be on the TV and I'm channel surfing and it's on, then that's on a watch.
Speaker 2: I'd be willing to bet that.
Speaker 3: If you're listening to this right now, rather it be on podcasts or live, think to yourself in the last couple of years when it comes to moments where you felt like you had to find a TV because you had to watch, or you had to find the device because you had to watch live. I would be willing to bet ninety nine percent of those instances have been sports and nothing else. There are the occasional and this speak this is how you know how powerful a TV show is, because there's certain shows that people can wait and let it build and binge it, or they can watch it the next day. But if it gets talked about so much, you want to watch it live because you don't want to be spoiled. Think of Game of Thrones being one of those shows. Great show Yellowstone became one of those shows. It breaking bad love it towards the end of it was that because it really wasn't even about like the streaming thing. It was people with DVR it or you know, maybe they maybe at that time they did have where you could just have a library of endless space to record anything, which a lot of these platforms like YouTube TV have, But you knew people were going to be talking about it at work on Facebook wherever to where you knew if I didn't watch it live, I'm gonna get spoiled.
Speaker 2: Water cooler talk. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so there are rare shows that you just kind of have to watch live. But other than that, it's just sports. And that's why I really feel like, I mean, if ESPN decided to or of Disney decided to offload ESPN to like a Netflix or something like that, would change everything. Yeah, it's not that the only sports we watch are on on ESPN, but a lot of them are. And I just like, we have so much we can get lost in with our phones with whatever to where like it's almost insulting for you to tell me I got it.
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 3: I gotta tell me I can't watch it if I'm not there in front of my TV at four o'clock.
Speaker 2: See you, I got other things to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just but sports is different and it and I don't see that ever changing because sports is growing in popularity as far as viewership and the you know, the scenario where you could get lost and watch it a day or two later without knowing what happens. That becomes growingly more difficult with you know, these things we have in our hands called phones that tell us anything we want at any time and can honestly read our brains.
Speaker 4: It seems like my mom has to watch Big Brother Live. She loves that show, and she has a paramount plus where you can like watch, yeah, you could watch like everything that's going like a twenty four hour web feed. No, she still wants to watch the live show every single week.
Speaker 3: Well, and that is different because that is a live like that's a live show, Like that's a live thing, meaning like you're watching it as it's as it's happening, which again even that's rare in television this day and age. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: So if you listened during the break to our Fox National Update, Fox Worts Radio National Update, Travis Hunter going to be working out at the NFL Draft combine as a defensive back, and that was a big discussion throughout his very special Heisman winning season where he was really effective at both spots. And I mean, if I was a team that was going to be the Titans are going to draft him, right, That's what everybody seems to believe because they have the first pick, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I could see a scenario where the Titans possibly trade that pick and maybe go after ros I've heard some steam about.
Speaker 3: That, but Aaron Baron Rodgers is available, like you know what I mean, Like you don't need to trade for him, he's he got cut right.
Speaker 4: Well if they if they, well that that that's true, I guess, But I've I've heard him, and I've also seen steam of Shador going there. But it looks like Shador also likes Oakland and possibly that's what Dion.
Speaker 2: Likes to Look.
Speaker 4: If you just seems like they would number one pick, they would obviously take the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well but but but that, I mean I was literally getting ready to say anybody who like this quarterback class and the grand scheme of things sucks. I mean, it's got to be one of the weakest quarterback classes ever. I mean, don't quote me on that. I'm sure you can find some that are worse. And maybe and look, maybe I'm way wrong. And and by the way, that's not just my opinion. It's a pretty well known thing that this is not a great quarterback class. But everybody's so desperate to find a new quarterback that could change everything about their franchise. But I just if you're the Titans and you draft one of these quarterbacks number one, I mean, I think you'd have to look in the mirror if it did work out. And I don't mean it doesn't work out. As far as like a guy being like a super Bowl champion, but like, even when you have the number one pick, you got to take a quarterback that you don't only think can help you win, but he's got to be able to be your franchise. And there's not one of those guys in this class. So but again, the desperation for a quarterback never is never going to go away. But like if Sanders goes number one of the Titans, I mean, even if he's I think put it this way, the ceiling for him, in my opinion, would be to wear years down the line. Even if he's not a bust and people say he's pretty good, you'd probably say he wasn't a number one pick. But again, quarterbacks are just different. So if I was the Titans, I would be greedy for a quarterback probably, but I'd like to think I would have the awareness that, yeah, like Will Evis is in the future, but let's get somebody who can be super valuable to us that's not a quarterback. Instead of just being so desperate for a QB, let's ride with Levis for another year, or maybe somehow go and get Rogers or another free agent, or maybe go get Donald or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, honestly, if I was somebody that knew quarterback was a real need for me, and I had a top five pick, I would get the best player available and then go try to get either Sam.
Speaker 2: Darnold or Aaron Rodgers. Yeah, that's right, that's what I would do.
Speaker 3: So the defensive back position, it really isn't sexy like a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Or even a receiver, so it is valuable. Oh absolutely, it is insanely valuable.
Speaker 3: So that's why I think this is actually the right move because if he I mean, look, first of all, you could still get paid big time money as an elite defensive back. I feel like receivers, there are clearly some that are really good, but it's been proven, man, you can be a really good receiver that produces on a team that wins. They can lose you and you can still be good. I mean, look a look at the Bills they lost Diggs. Dix has actually been really good. Nobody would deny that, but.
Speaker 2: His teams have been able to be just good without him, sometimes better. Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean, so you can lose an elite receiver and know that you lost production. But I feel like, man, if you've got a good if you've got other good things in place, you can go get a receiver that can help you win games to where they're not maybe the best in the league, but like it's good enough to where you can still be successful if other pieces are in a good place, so the best Not only is this the right decision for for I mean a team, like if you know, because if Travis Hunter was somebody that said I only am going to play receiver, Like if he was that kind of a diva, then it would be different because maybe you wouldn't draft him one or two because you feel like, man, that's a big investment, meaning the first overall pick for a guy that like might be good, but we'll always be wondering could we get more out of him if he was a defensive back? Now correct me if I'm wrong. Austin hasn't He kind of always been viewed as a prospect on the defensive side of the ball, but everybody just knows he can do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm pretty sure when he was like the number one prospect a couple of years ago, he was as a dB.
Speaker 3: And I feel like, if you're elite at the defensive back position. Your longevity is different. Like guys can play. I mean some guys kind of fall off late, but I feel like the receiver fall off is way more of a thing. And it's not necessarily because they get old and they just break down. But like new and young receivers come into where it's a pretty competitive landscape to where like, for example, like Devonte Adams and is that who has ended up in New York this year with Rogers.
Speaker 2: Yes, like he left the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Nobody should be doing anything insane to go get him.
Speaker 2: He's good. I'm not insulting him like he's a bum. But you don't.
Speaker 3: He's not a piece that's gonna substantially change the outlook of your franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't.
Speaker 4: You lose a lot of draft capital or pay a lot of your cap space to go get a I think he's thirty thirty year old receiver, at least close to thirty year old receiver. When you can just draft another person, or if you already have, like a good quarterback, someone that's gonna make them a good receiver.
Speaker 3: This is gonna sound like a hot take, and it's gonna sound you know, it's gonna it's it's honestly gonna make me sound probably foolish to some, but I.
Speaker 2: Want you to hear me out. Sure, and there are a lot of really.
Speaker 3: Good receivers that make their teams a lot better their weapons. But as far as guys that you know, you just think to yourself, man, it's not fair. I mean, I'm going Jamar Chase, Justin, Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, and I'll still throw Ceed Lamb in there. And yes, I'm aware that Saint Brown was great in Detroit, and I know that Cooper Cup has been consistent, Mike Evans is still putting up big numbers, Stefon Diggs super talented. Any team would be lucky to have all these guys I'm mentioning, But there's a difference in Okay, this is somebody that gives us an almost unfair advantage because what they can do. I think Jamar Chase, Justin, Jefferson, Cede Lamb, Man, I'm still putting Tyreek Hill there because there are times where you watch him and you just think, Okay, what are you supposed to do when that happens. So it's not like we don't need any of these guys kick him out of the league, We'll just get a bunch of undrafted rookies. Like it's not what I'm saying, but when it comes to investment meaning and really more than an investment, it's an opportunity because it's not really an investment because you can get them on a rookie deal. If they're as good as you think they are, you know you're going to pay them way more down the line. So I just feel like Travis Hunter as a he could be a standalone defensive back. If his ceiling is what people think it is and he hits it as a defensive back, he'll play for a long time as long as he's healthy, and he'll be somebody that makes an insane amount of money. I mean, there's a reason why Adrian Peterson and this is different, Like he's not a receiver. But I feel like if you are a guy, if you're an athlete like Travis.
Speaker 2: Hunter, and not many are, he's special, we know that.
Speaker 3: But if you are somebody that at an early age you're doing everything for your team in high school, you're fifteen sixteen, you're kind of you know, you're kind of seeing which position schools are really coming after you for and you're kind of deciding, Okay, when I get to the top, meaning high level college or the NFL, I'm not playing both sides. So if you end up in that, So when you're in that very formidable age as a player, kind of deciding what am I going to really because if you're going to be a defensive back or you're going to be a running back, like you're really going to train differently and you're going to build your body differently. But Adrian Peterson, who of course you know, had a long career in the NFL. I'm only using him as an example because he said this year's ago, and it always stood out to me if he could go back, he wish somebody would told him, And maybe they couldn't have told him at the time because I don't think anybody saw the running back position becoming what it is today. But he basically claimed that if he just developed at a teenage age to be a defensive back, he would have probably made a lot more money, and he probably wouldn't have near the wear and tear, and he would have played a lot longer in the NFL. So like I think, it may not be like you could have a phenomenal game as a defensive back, and I mean a phenomenal game, damn near flawless, and not have a Sports Center top play, not be a guy that everybody's talking about because they're putting you on their fantasy team like that kind of stuff matters for your brand. But the better play is to be a defensive back and be great at that, and you will last in the NFL for a long time. You'll make endless amounts of money and last I check. That's really what it comes down to, is you know, and again, if you can help your team and on both sides, maybe they'll do it. But I don't see a scenario where there's ever a full time guy in the NFL that's an elite player, like a star, that is literally contributing on both sides. Honestly, even in college, what he did was rare, right, like it's never been seen before as far as him being so good at receiver and as defensive back. So I think it's the right move. It's the better play long term, and I think I think the Titans will probably I mean I think they'll take him and either give Levis another run. I mean, I wouldn't if I was them, but but they may real quick on the NFL draft come. We now know of the four Louisville players that are going to be there participating in the combine, basically getting a chance to more extensively than others show what they can do. Right, There's a lot of guys who don't get to the combine, they get drafted that have great careers in the NFL because they don't invite everybody but four players for Louisville. Tyler Schuck, who of course has gotten all the buzz as of late. That's pretty exciting. We've talked about it quite a bit in the last week or so. But I still think jan Corey Brooks could be a guy that, you know, he may be a guy that somebody drafts and they say, look, we don't need to go sign it Tovanta Adams or I don't know, we don't need to go go out of our way to to give Garrett Wilson or DJ Moore a long term deal because we got this guy as a rookie who we think can play like I could see Ja Cory being a guy that has a good NFL career, and then Quincy Riley kind of an Incan and he's always good, but like at times his draft stock looked really good and at times it kind of fell, but clearly he's shown he can make plays. And then man, a guy that I just kind of forget about is Ashton Jelatt who had a Fino domintal career at Louisville and at times it kind of seemed quiet. But imagine what that guy could do if he's not getting double and triple teamed like he's got the skill, he's got the talent, and I wouldn't be shocked if he also has a long stretch in the NFL. And hopefully those guys again can last in the league. And we all know that that helps you, right, I mean the more relevance and I guess the more I guess relevance is it's not the word I was thinking of, but you know, the more, the more so that your brand, your program is in the NBA or the NFL, it's just gonna it can't put it this way.
Speaker 2: It can only help you. It's not gona hurt you.
Speaker 3: When it comes to other up and coming players that also want to get to the NFL the NBA, if they see guys they watch on a weekly basis, on a nightly basis in the NBA, they're gonna think, Okay, that's that's a that's a pathway for me. If I go there and eyeball out, I can find myself in the pros as well. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour. Keep this thing rolling along. We'll let you what Pat Kelsey had to say about Chucky Hepburn, Chuck Chucky Hepburn getting snubbed from the Bob Coosey Award finalist. I guess it's the top ten that they put out. And also he talked about James Scott's mask, which I got to admit.
Speaker 2: Is really badass.
Speaker 3: I just wish he didn't look so uncomfortable in him because you could tell he hated life wearing that thing, and I think I would too. All right, quick break, we'll come back, Keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Little Dirk's Bentley right, that's right? Is he still kind of a big deal?
Speaker 3: Or uh?
Speaker 2: I think so? I mean, he's a name that like nobody's just gonna forget about. But like I don't like.
Speaker 3: The reason I ask is because he is somebody that I feel like really kind of became a name within country music around the time I was finishing high school, which honestly was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, around like the mid two thousand, had a.
Speaker 3: Lot of hits, had some, had some you know, I had some good years and live in gold.
Speaker 2: He also just came out with a new bourbon.
Speaker 4: He actually did like a bourbon release probably about a couple of months ago that I was fortunate enough to be uh to go to a part of w AMZ and he signed. He signed his bourbon for me and everything, and he hooked me up for free. I did the old I wasn't planning on getting it today. It's not in my budget, right and he's like, no, man, here take this, and he signed it. It said God bless on the front.
Speaker 2: He knows, he knows, he knows you're the man. He knows.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: But I feel bad because like I was kind of in a hurry to leave because I had something else to do. And then I put it in my bag and then it smeared the whole autograph on his on his bottle.
Speaker 2: Did he drink the bourbon yet? I did? Yes.
Speaker 4: I broke it out for kind of like a when we went over family's house for the holidays, and it was actually pretty good bourbon. But like where he the personalized message was smudged. But on the back he also still signed it too. He signed the front in the back. The back was okay. The front was kind of, you know, messed up. I drank it all, but I still kept the bottle. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking here Rod ninety four, what it's called his last Uh, there's a song called Gold that apparently did well in country. I don't know that one very well, but beers on me. I definitely remember that. That was twenty twenty one, and then I'm sure if I heard gone. Yeah, he's had I mean, he's he's been pretty consistent.
Speaker 2: You go back to kind of country state. Yeah, you go back.
Speaker 3: To you know, two thousand and three, which was the song you just played, which is crazy. That song's twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: He was number one in.
Speaker 3: The country charts with what was I thinking in two thousand and three, and he's had many other top ten hits since then. So yeah, I just feel like he hasn't been as relevant lately because it seems like every month there's a new country artist that looks more like a frat guy than a country singer.
Speaker 2: But hey, that's you know. Times are changing. Times are changing.
Speaker 3: So before we get to the top of the hour here, we'll stick with the NFL since we have such little time left. Aaron Rodgers. We found out during Super Bowl week last week that the Jets let him know, hey, you know, see you later, and today they posted something because for some reason it became official today, which is weird, like ESPN had breaking news. The Jets have said goodbye to Aaron Rodgers and I'm like that was last week.
Speaker 2: But ESPN is known for doing that.
Speaker 3: To where they are, they think they're above everybody, so they won't actually like they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't believe. They don't even know who.
Speaker 3: You are if you broke it first, so sorry, we just don't. We don't even know who you are, so if you did our mistake.
Speaker 2: There have been people.
Speaker 3: Who've actually tried to fight them as far as like, hey, you you claim you broke the story and I did it two days ago and they're like, oh, what do you want us to do?
Speaker 2: We don't know you, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But anyways, the Jets today put out a Twitter post that says, for everything, thank you for everything you've given us the past two years, and then a picture of Aaron Rodgers, and I I refuse to believe that they didn't do this to be funny. Now, the Jets would be the franchise that would not read the room and realize that he did nothing for them. Yeah, but there's there's no scenario that whoever in the Jets front office, whoever within the Jets organization posted this could have this much inability to read the room, Like you have to have a teeny tiny amount awareness, teeny tiny amount of awareness to know that you're walking into a joke. And it kind of makes me think they wanted Rogers to get joked on. The Jets have been getting joked on for decades, like they're used to it. But again, it says for everything you've given us over the past two years, thank you eight who Rogers War number eight, And I mean the comments are exactly what you what you would expect. The internet, man, it's a beautiful place and sometimes I can't quite put into words on the radio as to how funny something is.
Speaker 2: You have to actually just see it.
Speaker 3: But like, there's this guy who I don't even know, Like I don't know how this becomes such a thing, but there's this video of this guy has this like solution kind of thing on his arm, like a substance, like a liquid, yeah, and he's wiping it off. And I don't know if theyre's showing like something on your body getting clean off, or if they're removing something, But a lot of people share this video that like, for example, the first time I saw it, it was and this was actually funny to me, it says, and again it's just because it's rivalry and it's just, you know, my bar is low as far as what makes me laugh. But it said, look this crazy Kentucky fan got a tattoo of all the Kentucky Heisman Trophy winners and it's just him wiping off his arm and there's nothing there in there.
Speaker 2: Again, the bar, the bar's low for me, and.
Speaker 3: Then everybody's so again, the comments here are sensational. It's got Aaron Rodgers Jets career highlights and it just shows him running out with the flag on nine to eleven. Only that then taras Achilles three plays into that game. I mean, in fact, somebody said, here's what he gave you. Year one, three snaps, year two, your head coach fired issues in the locker room five and thirteen record Like, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, he was Nathaniel Hackett, he did nothing.
Speaker 3: And there's this is a screenshot from like a documentary, some kind of true Crome documentary. I recognize what I'm looking at it. I can't think of which documentary it is, but it's just somebody, somebody sitting in a room interrogating like a criminal and says, is that everything you're referring to in the room with us now? And it's just these two people, like it's imaginary, it's not real, And uh yeah, I mean I feel like those two kind of deserve each other. But then again, the Jets are just lousy. They're not like they're easy to make fun of. They're not like hateable, are they No? Because they're never like to be hateable, you have to have done something right.
Speaker 2: They're a dumpster fire franchise.
Speaker 3: I mean, and they kind of know it too, which I actually find I find that to be a plus a positive for a franchise and a fan base that can that can you know, make fun of themselves. Maybe they do it because they it softens the blow if others make fun of them, Like, hey, you can't hurt me, I'm already hurt. Look, I'll make fun of my own team, you know what I mean, Like the Browns have always been great at that, by the way.
Speaker 2: And then there's you know, there's like.
Speaker 3: Even like even FanDuel, the official fan account that has you know, a ton of followers, is just posting a picture of a woman in an empty aisle at the grocery store, pointing at empty at pointing at how empty it is, and it says looking for everything, Like that's not like a knee slapping of you know.
Speaker 2: Gut busting joke. But like they there's no scenario.
Speaker 3: They did this not expecting this exact reaction, And what it does is just confirm to me that, like they want people to make fun of Aaron Rodgers because there's a reason they let him walk and told him to kick rocks. Yeah, did you see what they told him that he couldn't like they had Like I don't know if I believe that, Like it didn't work out there because he refused to you know, he refused to follow with their stipulations. But they did tell him they did not want him going on the Pat mcapee show, and apparently he was bothered by that. I don't feel like that is a request that that franchise would make unless they, you know, had a guy like Rogers who would go on there and say things just to get a rise out of people, just to be controversial, just to be you know, a yeah, like, he has such a to me, he has such a glaring insecurity that he needs the McAfee platform to really just go out there.
Speaker 2: And and again, to.
Speaker 3: Me, there's a little I wouldn't make the comparison here as far as like exactly the same, but there's a little bit of Kyrie Irving and Aaron Rodgers Kyrie.
Speaker 2: I feel like learn from it.
Speaker 3: He lost an insanely lucrative Nike deal because of his woke not as woke, but like his I guess maybe you could say anti woke, but just him like wanting to have this brand that you know everybody else is stupid. I'm intellectually on a level that you guys will never get to. Rogers has that as well, and I think that that the McAfee show worked out perfect for that, And honestly, I think McAfee kind of knows too, like this guy's like, this guy's a joke kind of But hey, I know people are gonna watch when he when he's on because its exactly exactly so Aaron Rodgers gonna end up somewhere and he'll probably still win because I think he's that good. But I'm always gonna enjoy seeing him, you know, go through this kind of stuff, which a can makes me an awful human, but hey, it's sports, it's not personal.
Speaker 2: I don't know him, but he's a villain to me. I kind of think that he's got to be a villain to you. You're a Vikings fan, right, Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? And I think met Rogers everybody. I think he's cooked. I don't think the arm's there anymore. I don't think the will to play anymore is there.
Speaker 3: And you a real shame if that's how it played out, right, Yeah, right, all right, five o'clock hours.
Speaker 2: Next, we'll dive back into the.
Speaker 3: Louisville basketball conversation, some Pat Kelsey sound, some bracketology updates, and who knows what other nonsense we're going to get into. It's coffee, the company, feel abou Thornes right here on Sports Talk seven ninety