Speaker 1: Ah Escape.
Speaker 2: You are fighting your way through a frozen wilderness, torn by the icy blast of an Arctic blizzard, and driving you on towards certain death. Is a man with a.
Speaker 3: Gun from whom you cannot escape.
Speaker 4: Escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: AH to night. We escape to the Canadian north Woods, to a lonely wilderness where justice fine strange paths. As janss Oliver Kerwood told it in his famous story The Match.
Speaker 5: Just below the Arctic Circle, where blizzards scream in the winter and tear frozen branches from the pine trees, where the driven sleep cuts human skin like flying glass. There men know and fear the eternal spirit of the icy North, the great cold spirit that weaves the patterns of human destiny. Both weaves and destroys forever and again.
Speaker 6: The spirit throws out strange swirls of chance and coenciddents that meet eventually in a terrible whirlpool, which swallows up the old pattern and creates some new and different one for men to.
Speaker 5: Wonder and marvel at. One such swirl in time and space began months ago and far to the south in a logging camp near the southern border of Canada, where two men faced each other on a narrow trail in the light of a full moon. It began in violence and hatred.
Speaker 3: What do you want, lying, Tharn, I've been talking to Genie. She told me what you did?
Speaker 7: Well, what about it?
Speaker 3: She told me all of it, the whole thing too bad.
Speaker 2: Lying, But if you can't keep your wife from casting her eye around, and that's your tough luck.
Speaker 3: They one no eyes cast around, and you know.
Speaker 2: It all right, then what are you gonna do about it? I'm not sure yet. Then I'll tell you nothing. You haven't got a leg to stand on. I'm running this camp and every man in it, and if you don't like what I do, then get out.
Speaker 3: I'm planning to stay.
Speaker 2: In that case, you'd better get used to the way I run things, men and women. And the next time I drop in, that's it. Eh, Well, then that life thron drop it.
Speaker 3: Get up, thro Come on, get up on your feet, Get up, Throng. What's the matter with you? Thorn? Thorn?
Speaker 7: A rock under his head.
Speaker 3: He's he's dead, Jennie, dry Billy, what's wrong, Geennie? I ran into thorn a few minutes ago.
Speaker 8: Oh, Billy, your hand, what did you do?
Speaker 3: I hit him, Genie, he started to pull a knife, so I knocked him down. His head hit a rock when he fell. He's dead. No, oh no, they probably won't climb thorn until the morning. So I've got to get out of here in the next half hour. Leave. I'm no here, Geenie. They don't know me. It's just my word. I wouldn't have a chance.
Speaker 9: We go.
Speaker 3: Not you. You're going to take the baby and go back to the cottage in New York State.
Speaker 8: Where are you planning to go?
Speaker 3: North? Honey? You a long ways north. I'll have a better chance up there in the woods.
Speaker 9: Catch Billy, they always do.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. They won't catch me. And somehow, sooner or later, we're going to be back together again, believe me.
Speaker 5: And so in the south, one black swirl of chance is born and moved slowly north toward through time and space, moves even as the great Arctic storms move across the faces of continents, and they're ahead of it. Among the tumbled ridges of spruce and pine, another swirl of human fate moves at the whim of the bleak spirit of that frozen land moves first one way, then another, but centers allays near one certain red coated uniform of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police centers on the hard, lean figure of a man called Sergeant Brokaw.
Speaker 7: Nice shot, sergeant, thanks to birth.
Speaker 3: The captain sent Peter, Wait, there's.
Speaker 7: One of Mortagasi. Lep out there, dead center. Brother.
Speaker 3: I wish I could shoot like that.
Speaker 7: Work on it. Good shooting something you'll need if you stay in the mountis.
Speaker 3: I guess it's helped you plenty of times?
Speaker 7: Yeah? If you have got there telegram.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's an order. The Captain told me to bring out to you here.
Speaker 7: Mmm see special assignment for apprehension and return of a fugitive name Billy Lauring height five eight eleven inches. Wait, and so on and so on. A senior Hobbs landing on October third and reported heading north, wanted from murder. Sergeant Brookhaws signed instruction bring back fugitive.
Speaker 2: They make it sound plenty simple, sergeant, bring back fugitive.
Speaker 7: Just await all to sound. When you're assigned to bring a man in, you bring him in. That's always to it. There's no excuse, no alibi for not doing it. You can take my wood on a trooper. I've been doing it for twelve years.
Speaker 3: And so far you've never missed getting your men.
Speaker 7: Not so far, not ever. And I go after a man, I'm gonna get him sooner or later, in one way or another. I'm gonna bring him back every time. And that goes for this what's his name, Lauring? You can bet your life on it.
Speaker 5: And so they grew in time and space, these two great swirls of chance, the one hovering in the north and the other moving toward it, slowly across a thousand miles and through two hundred and twenty seven days.
Speaker 7: And one night.
Speaker 5: At last they met in a tiny raw pine cabin hidden in the blizzard frozen marsh, hard up against the Arctic Circle, and the wild whirlpool born from that meeting created strange new patterns of human life and death and destiny.
Speaker 7: All right, Laring, let's have your other risk there.
Speaker 3: You don't need these handcuffs. You've got me. That's that.
Speaker 7: I don't take chances, Loring. You know it already, of course, But you're under a rest in the name of the crown for murder. You can sit down in that chair with a stove. Thanks.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I've lived here all winter, and I've had pretty good luck trapping, been selling first to the Indians in another month. I've had enough to go away and meet my wife.
Speaker 7: Then you come along, have luck loring, and start back for the post in the morning, or at least as soon as this blizzard lits up.
Speaker 3: It'll be three days, it always is. What's your name?
Speaker 7: Broke off? Sergeant broke off?
Speaker 3: That's kind of funny somehow, to day being the day you found me and I did.
Speaker 7: I hate to be camping out in that blizzard to night. Oh what's so funny about to day? It's her birthday?
Speaker 3: I mean my wife Jeannie here, let me show you all a loring. Oh no, no, no, no, that it's all right. It's just a photograph. Hey, let me unwrap it.
Speaker 7: See mm she's a pretty girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that and everything else. Sergeant, you married? No had some of her hair that curl?
Speaker 7: It spinned to the picture, yem read, isn't it?
Speaker 3: It's like red gold. We got married on her birthday, so to day's our wedding anniversary too. She wanted it that way, she said, the best things in her life always happened on her birthday. Yeah, well, yeah, I I guess it was crazy, but I was so happy when I got up this morning about what day it was, and only two months to go in hall. I put two places at the breakfast table, and I propped her picture up by one of 'em. I sat there talking to her while we eat together. I guess you'd get like that up here alone. I haven't seen a white man for three months. I had a little dog for a while, but he'd he died about six weeks ago, and there wasn't any chance to get another one. Genie always liked dogs, dogs and kids. I don't mind my talking this way to your sergeant. It kind of helps.
Speaker 7: I don't mind. Why should I?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is, we've always been blamed crazy about each other. It'd never been a part until this came up, and then we had to be, and in another month or two we'd we'd have been back together.
Speaker 7: It's your own fault, Loring, It's not my concern. My job is to find you and bring you in. I've done part of that, and I will do the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Maybe, so I warn you right now, sergeant, I'll make it as tough for you as possible. I'm gonna get away if I can. You see, I promised her that we'd be together again.
Speaker 7: It's up to you, Lauring. But if you start to play rough, I can play a whole lot rougher. One way or another. I'm gonna bring you in the stand trial. There's nothing and stop me. Maybe so, Sergeant. You see, I'm probably the hardest man in the whole Royal Canadian Mounted Lowering. And that's your hat luck too, because you might have softened up another man with that stuff you were telling.
Speaker 3: You think that's why I talked about it.
Speaker 7: I don't know, and I don't care. The only thing that matters is that I've got a job to do. I always have done it, and I'm going to do it this time. You can depend on that.
Speaker 3: I guess. Duty is a big part of your alive.
Speaker 7: Not a big part of it, Loring, it's all of it. If you don't mind that. Come fifteen miles of the snow today, last five against the plizion. I'm tired. Let's turn in, all right, Sure you can take the bunk, neave your clothes on, he said, all right, if I get that photograph off the table, go ahead, all right, put your feet together.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, what's the chain for it?
Speaker 7: Another reason to call me hard? I'm gonna pad like it around your ankles. You are cautious. That's that's right, Laurie. They call out if you want anything in the night. If you try to get up without calling, I'll kill you. I'll sleep here in the chair and this gun happens to be caught.
Speaker 3: Thanks for warning me. Good night, sergeant. Good night, by the way, Sergeant broke Aw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's too.
Speaker 3: Bad you never got married. Why because when you go to sleep, you've nobody to dream about it?
Speaker 8: Billy, Billy Darling, can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes, Genie, yes, darling.
Speaker 9: Never mind the blizzard, it doesn't matter. We've been in storms before.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember.
Speaker 9: And to day's my birthday and also the day we were married. Nothing can really hurt us. Everything's going to be all.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, Gene, Yes, everything is going to be all right, Billy.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 10: Jane, remember one time in the far we built a bonfire and roasted ears of coin that was in the field back of the cottage.
Speaker 3: Yes, two years ago. That was on your birthday.
Speaker 10: Too, yes, yes, And do you remember how the smoke would always get in your eyes, and how it would follow you around and make you.
Speaker 9: Cough and sneeze.
Speaker 3: Sure, I remember, remember the smoke, the smoke, Sure, I remember, it's small smoke. What smoke. The cabin's on fire, sergeant, sergeant broke off, Wake up, the cabins on fire.
Speaker 11: But he got this chain off my feet. I can't walk no time. The whole root's on fire. I'll carrying it.
Speaker 9: Smoke.
Speaker 11: You can't see the door.
Speaker 7: Oh, don't hear?
Speaker 3: This looks like we made it, thanks sergeant.
Speaker 7: I gotta get back in there.
Speaker 11: All our stuffs in there, you can't make it. Hack off the roof.
Speaker 7: Hey, yes, you know the spot we're Inlaring?
Speaker 3: Yes, I know. Are heavy coats, smitten snow shoes and all of our food is burning up inside there.
Speaker 7: And it's forty below and a blizzard just starting here. You can't lie there in the snow. I'll get that chain off your ankles.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, thanks, sergeant. What about the handcuffs?
Speaker 7: Hey, stay on loring?
Speaker 3: Are you crazy? What difference does it make? We haven't a chance. You know that as well as I do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: We couldn't be any worse off. We don't even have a match. I saw you fill your case and put it in your coat. It's inside there. We don't even have a match.
Speaker 7: I know that, Loring, and I know everything else. You're gonna tell me you don't have enough clothes to keep us from freezing to death. If we stay here and keep the fire going, will starve. It's sixty miles to the nearest post. In twenty miles to thor Rows, the next cabin down the trail. We might make ten miles if we're lucky, more likely five.
Speaker 3: That's right, So why the handcuffs.
Speaker 7: You've been living up here for three months, Loring. I've got an idea. You probably know some cabin a lot closer than Thorrough's, some Indian or a trapper, maybe not more than two or three miles away. You want to start breaking trail? Well, suppose I did. What of it?
Speaker 3: Something good has always happened to me on Jeanie's birthday, and I think it has this time. Sergeant. It's a lot easier to freeze to death and to go back and die the way I'd be doing it.
Speaker 7: So so it's like that.
Speaker 3: It's like that, unless you want to make a deal. What kind of a deal, Take off these cuffs, give me that revolver and I'll get you out of this. There's a cabin alron.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Loring, no deal.
Speaker 3: You're a full broke aw. I got nothing to lose, but you're just tossing your life away.
Speaker 7: How about it, we'll take turns, breaking trail. You can lead off first. We may as well start where four rows, of course, twenty miles. Why don't we sit down and freeze to death here instead of five miles from here? Because I'll be five miles closer to bringing you in.
Speaker 3: Come on, you're a fool, Sergeant, you're beaten, you know it. Why don't you give in?
Speaker 7: Come on, Loring, let's get going, Lauring. How far do you think we've come by? Now?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Let's rest for a minute.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm pretty winted myself. Five miles? You think I'd say about four?
Speaker 3: Sixteen? More to thor rows? I think we'll get Sergeant, we'll try it. We only had some way of building fires. We could stop and get warm once in a while.
Speaker 7: Not even an Indian could build a fire in this blizzard without matches.
Speaker 3: Yah. The wind is slacking off a.
Speaker 7: Bit, which means you'll get colder.
Speaker 3: Non, we better move on, sergeant, How about taking off these cuffs. They're freezing to my skin. Look, I'm bleeding on both wrists.
Speaker 7: Then why don't you take us to that cabin you know about? Wanna make that deal? No deal, no deal, not cabin. And I'm sorry for your loring, But the cuffs stay on. Why what difference can it make? We'll both be dead in two hours anyway. If we are, you'll still be wearing those cuffs, and this gun will still be in my hoster, dead or alive, You'll still be my prisoner.
Speaker 3: The hardest man in the mountains.
Speaker 7: Are you ready? Loring?
Speaker 3: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 7: I let out for a while. Come on, let's go.
Speaker 5: Of all those who dwell in this frozen land. The bleak, cruel spirit of the North is known best to men on the open trail. There, facing the breath of the blizzard, eyes blinded by the driving sleep, a man feels his soul grows small within him, And when that happens, his mind may turn to strange fantasies and memories of a far away voice.
Speaker 9: Billy, can you hear me? Billy?
Speaker 3: Yes, Jimmy, Everything's going to be all right.
Speaker 10: Billy, I love you, and everything's going to be all right, sure, honey. The snow doesn't matter, and the blizzard doesn't matter. They'll be gone soon and there'll be only us.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can see you now standing there at the gate in front of the cottage.
Speaker 9: That's right, darling.
Speaker 10: Don't look at the snow and the icy trees in the storm.
Speaker 8: Look at me instead. See.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's spring in the sunshine, and I'm wearing my hair the way you've always liked it.
Speaker 8: It's in curls old tumber see, Billy.
Speaker 3: Oh, Genie, Genie rocawe, rocall, what's the matter?
Speaker 7: Helda stir the rest?
Speaker 3: You can't lie there like that. You'll be asleep in five minutes and it'll be the end.
Speaker 7: Oh how much farther?
Speaker 3: Ah, around fourteen miles, come about six altogether?
Speaker 7: Mm.
Speaker 12: Yeah, your hands in pretty bad shape.
Speaker 3: I don't know, sergeant, I can't feel anything.
Speaker 12: Now, m might as well take those cups, uh, stick out your hands, thanks, sergeant.
Speaker 7: Yeah, here's my gun. How come I'm through beat, I'm giving in, Larry, take us to that cabin. Yeah, what's wrong?
Speaker 3: You get too late, sergeant? M What do you mean the cabin's about two miles and where mine was. We're over four miles from it now. Neither one of us can last another half mile.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess sure. I Well looks like you win, Laurie.
Speaker 3: You might call it that. It's tough on you, though I was gonna die anyway.
Speaker 7: Uh, well, may as well keep moving.
Speaker 3: Why this is as good a place as any.
Speaker 7: Not gonna stop trying. As long as I can move, you can do what you like, Chloring. I'm going on.
Speaker 3: Quite a minute, sison.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: If we had a fire and we could get warm for a while, then we can make that cabin without much danger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we haven't.
Speaker 3: Suppose I say the word, it'll save both of us. Get us out of this. Will you go back to the headquarters and tell him I'm dead?
Speaker 7: No, No, I can't do that. Twelve years of the service. I haven't run up a white flag once. I'm not gonna do it now. Die don' no dying duty. Huh God, whatever you want, we'll make your square offer. Though. Put us out of this, and I'll give you twenty four hours head start as soon as we're both on our feet again.
Speaker 3: You're all right, brokaw Funny, I don't even know why I'm doing this. I couldn't let you go on down the trail and you stumble into a drift and be dead before we'd made half a mile, and I'd have been safe. Then, funny, I don't know why i'd do it. Maybe it's on a kind of her.
Speaker 7: H what's your plan?
Speaker 12: Lie?
Speaker 7: What have we got in mind?
Speaker 3: I'll take the offer of twenty four hours brokaw. I'd got a match? Uh man, yeah, just one. I remember dropping it at my pants pocket yesterday. It's on this side. Maybe you can get to it. Your hands are in better shape than mine.
Speaker 7: I I can't seem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, hear this. It's dry. Do now drop it? It's the only one.
Speaker 7: Yeah. We gotta have some branches right by here. You well, well, I get some hop that birch sert alright, mash mash, don't drop a line?
Speaker 11: Hold a cap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it?
Speaker 7: H box dry underneath about it? What a owt to be? Alright? To start it?
Speaker 3: That should burn? Alright?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We ought to ought to have some dry paper, just to make sure I've got some hold the match?
Speaker 7: Oh oh paper rap on that photograph man?
Speaker 3: Here? Yeah, funny, I was thinking about her when I remember the match, I guess she's the one that's really gonna light this fire.
Speaker 7: Ah, there it is. You wanna strike it? You want me to?
Speaker 3: You go ahead? My hands it's still pretty stiff.
Speaker 7: Alright, you want to have something dry to scratch it?
Speaker 3: U there's a gun file in my same pocket which you can get it.
Speaker 7: Alright, Uh yeah, yeah here it is all right.
Speaker 3: Well it's up to her now, all right, Genie.
Speaker 7: Strike the match? Oh broke, oh broken?
Speaker 3: What's the matter the match?
Speaker 7: Learning? It went out? No, the only chance and it went out. It is so much that I gotta get movie.
Speaker 11: I gotta get the thorough brocol You can't make it.
Speaker 7: I gotta go on as long as I'm alive.
Speaker 11: I gotta keep going. I gotta go Broco. You don't have a chance, broke of.
Speaker 3: It's gone. Well, what's the difference here? Or hath of my father? It's not so bad. It's kind of peaceful, dreamy, so peaceful. It's just like going to sleep.
Speaker 8: Don't go to sleep, Billy, wake up.
Speaker 3: Everything's gonna be all right, Genie.
Speaker 8: Up, darling. You can't go to sleep. You've got to wake up.
Speaker 3: Everything's all right.
Speaker 9: The smoke day don't you remember the smoke?
Speaker 11: Huh.
Speaker 8: We're going to beat together again. Open your eyes, huh together again, open your.
Speaker 11: Eyes, uh huh.
Speaker 3: Smoke the fire, it's burning.
Speaker 11: Spark from that match must have caught Genie. The fire is burning, the fire.
Speaker 5: And so one man finds eternal sleep on the frozen breast of the snow, and one man dreams beside a fire whose tongues.
Speaker 7: Of flame are like the red curls of a woman's hair.
Speaker 5: When the blizzard has stripped the lipt things away, and the soul of a man stands facing the blast, clean and bare and alone, then what is right and what is wrong? Does justice depend on the striking of a match? Is human destiny only a thing of accident and of chance? Ask the icy voice of the Arctic storm, Ask the cold, bleak spirit of the Great north Woods.
Speaker 4: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald and Tonight Brought You The Match by James Oliver Kerwood, adapted for radio by Less Crutfield, with Frank Lovejoy as Billy Wilms, Herbert as Sergeant Brokaw, Cynthia Corley's Genie, Nestor Piver is Thorn, and Clark Cuney as the trooper, with Stan Waxman as the narrator. The musical score was conducted by Wilbur hatch.
Speaker 10: A.
Speaker 2: Next week, you are trapped on a remote plantation in the crawling Amazon jungles, and an immense river of revenous ants is closing in on you, swarming in to eat you alive, a deadly black army from which there is no escape. Next week we bring back the escape story you have most requested in your letters, Carl Stevenson's gripping tale liningen versus the Ants. Good Night, then until this same time next week, when once again we offer you escape. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.