Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Nearly one hundred and thirty thousand people lined up through Saint Peter's Basilica to pay respects his funeral, scheduled for four a m. Eastern time, one am our time overnight to night. Leaders from around the world, including President Trump, will be in attendance. Former President Biden, will be there as well. We wanted to get right to it here with our conclave.
Speaker 2: Correspondent Raymond Arroyo rejoins the show, host of the Arroyo Grande podcast. Raymond, we spoke earlier in this week, just just.
Speaker 3: Right after the Pope had passed.
Speaker 2: Any surprises that you've seen this week, I know that you know they've had to extend hours, They've They've talked about this sort of pomp and circumstance. Even as downplayed as Francis wanted his funeral, We're still going to see pretty ceremonial things tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there certain protocols that remain in place. But you know, I remember reading his autobiography and in it he said that he wanted to be buried not like a man of great power, but as any normal Christian. Well, the challenge there is, of course, he's not any normal Christian. He is he's to Catholics, the vicar of Christ and the successor of Saint Peter. And I think, you know, this is where Pope Francis's personal preferences sometimes overwhelmed the office that he even occupied, because you know, he forsook a lot of the Vestmans. He didn't like, you know, certain parts of the protocol of being pope. And you know, I knew his two predecessors, and truth be told, Carol Boy Tabor, John Paul the second. He was also a kind of humble guy that didn't like all the ceremony and the pump, but he absorbed it and accepted it as part of the office that he was assuming and would you know, continue on. But he did it in the kind of rugged way, so you can do it style that's more grounded and not like some lordly emperor. And I think Pope Francis was uncomfortable in the world really throughout his entire pontificate, and that's where you saw him sort of break protocol, go out to people and try to do things his own way. Here, you're kind of in depth. You're sort of caught at the end because the formality of the office and the vaticant does overwhelm you. Even though they say this is a simplified event, and it will be in some ways, but to the general public they may not see it that way.
Speaker 1: Now, the vow of poverty is a keystone to this way of life, is lifestyle. I think an ostentatious pope would not go over well, anything close to an ostentatious pope. But yes, you do all the pomp and circumstance for the title. Now, and when it comes to the conclave, Raymond, there is a convicted cardinal who wants a vote, and there's some controversy surrounding this cardinal who does have an apartment at the bat as his appeal makes its way through the process.
Speaker 4: Well, here's again. This is a cardinal. Beshu is his name. He was the number two at the Secretary of State. Okay, so the number two diplomatic official for the pope and a very close friend to Pope Francis. The truth is po Francis shielded him from a lot of this investigation for many years. Finally, after public outcry. I mean, they spent ten million dollars on some apartment complex in London and lost everything. And Beshu was at the heart of that. Pope Francis shielded him, took away he was convicted, by the way, he's convicted of all kinds of larceny, you know, stealing funds. The Pope took away his cardinal designation. But then in twenty twenty three, and again this is the Pope kind of doing things his own way for his pals. He led Beshu into a gathering of cardinals, a Senate of cardinals. He invited him back in. He said it was a merciful gesture. Well, now Beishu is using that gesture and saying, wait a minute, guys, the Pope let me into the last gathering. I wont into this one. The truth is he's convicted, you know, in the eyes of a Vatican he's a convicted felon essentially, and his cardinalational designation has been stripped. And he said, if you read the formal document which I saw today, of all the lists of the cardinals in attendance, he's listed as a non voter. So I don't know how much success he's going to have trying to muscle his way in, particularly now that his protector and friends is is deceased.
Speaker 2: A lot of fictional accounts of what happens in conclave have been, you know, have been out there for in culture for a long time. Is it as political as it is portrayed. Are these cardinals doing the jockeying behind the scenes ahead of conclave or is that strictly kept to behind closed doors in those meetings?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, well there are rules governing, you know, like you can't make a deal, for instance, to be a pope. You can't. You can't promise people things. That's that's an excommunicable incident. So if you are and I are going to conclaim and say, look, guys, vote for me and I'll make sure you get venice, and you're gonna end up with malan, I mean, that's not that's forbidden, So it should not happen. It cannot happen. The politics that goes on is really a kind of meet and greet the conclave. The business of the conclave happens right after the funeral once the pope, this pope is later to rest. They're nine days of what they call public mourning. Okay. In those nine days, the cardinals are meeting each day. Then they go to dinners and small events all over Rome, and it's really there where they size each other up. They see who who are you hearing? Who are you looking at? Who should I consider? And they're meeting and greeting people. It's a little bit like when you you know what, like uh, you know, Pam Boondi's nominated as an attorney general Jess to go visit all the senatorial offices before her hearing. That's sort of what this period is. It's just much more informal and laid back. There are people advocating for certain candidates, but it's not the hard knumble politics because there's nothing to be gained really. And there's an old saying any man that goes into the conclave of pope comes out a cardinal, and you know that's and that math kind of holds. The most ambitious among them usually get weeded out pretty fast. It's I know, look, the last three popes, none of them really wanted the job, not none of them. And it was a surprise, I think, to all three of them.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you got to go because if one well, I'll tell you exactly what I knew John Paul the Second and Benedict personally. I had lunches with them, dinners with him, Benedict before he was a pope and after. And in his case, he wanted to retire. He'd served thirty years John Paul the Second as his doctrinal officer, he had done his time. He had bought a house with his brother. They were going to retire back to German. He was going to play piano and write books at theology. Then yeah, he goes and he had a pet cat in the countryside what's not below. So he had his plan set. He goes to John Pole's funeral, he goes into the conclave and they elect him pope. He was very reluctant to take the job, and I think that's part of also why he retired, because he felt the weight of that and the age of it. I think that was a big mistake, by the way, for Benedett to retire. It was it was folly on his part. As Jean Paul the Second ones told me, a father never leaves the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that didn't go over well.
Speaker 4: No, it didn't go over well. And it led I think to bad adds so. But he was a holy and good man. But I think that was definitely a misfire. But that's just a case. And John Paul was the same. He thought he'd go back to poland continue his work there. But he was a mystake, you know, he's much more mystical than the others. So when when it befell him, he absorbed it and said, well, this is God's will, this is what I'll do, and embraced it. But it's a heavy cross. I mean, imagine you're now responsible for a billion souls and if you really believe what the church teaches and not what the Conclave movie preaches, uh, there's hell to pay for making the wrong decision. And uh you know there's a real weight there. There's a real weight there and a judgment that awaits you, particularly as a pope.
Speaker 2: Well, we'd love to check back in with you, Raymond as we get closer to Conclave. And then, of course while it's going on, great stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do every day, We're going to do updates on a Royal Grande show on YouTube. Go there or an iHeart I'll have the We'll post the audio every day, and I'm on the Fox News Channel tonight three am with Martha McCollum. We're doing live coverage of Pope.
Speaker 2: Friends, do you do a wonderful job on the television, Raymond, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Oh you're very kind. You have no taste, but I thank you for.
Speaker 2: Say that again. I Raymond, host of the Royal Grande podcast. You can search for it, of course on the iHeart app. And like you said, you can see Raymond on television very very early in the morning helping Fox cover the funeral tomorrow.
Speaker 3: It's the matter with you. We have company, I know.
Speaker 2: Sorry for up next we'll get into swamp Watch. We'll talk about what's going on with Pete Hegseeth, among other things.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Now it's time for butt, which.
Speaker 4: Means I'm a titian, a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing that lollipop.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 7: We got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 7: So that now you train the.
Speaker 3: Swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been You know, Americans have always been gone at president.
Speaker 8: They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people voting for you with not swamp watch. They're all counting on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: The President says he stands behind Defense Secretary Pete haig Seth, But yet all of these headlines suggests that there's a shadow campaign to get rid of him, because all you're seeing about Pete hag Seth is a department, a pentagon in chaos, in turmoil. You're seeing that he had this dirty line connected to his signal app on his personal computer, that he wanted polygraphs and the Justice Department, all these negative headlines that you would think could be buried if he really did have the support of everybody.
Speaker 2: Joe Casper is the now departed Secretary of Defense chief of staff. The latest twist in all of this the role of They say that he's leaving it voluntarily and he would become a part time special government employee with a focus on science, technology, and industry.
Speaker 3: It's bad when your chief of staff cuts ties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is bad when Trump's White House chief of staff cut ties. How many times he had four or five of them, I think during the first term. In this case, he's going to be like I said, that special government employee, and that's the same designation that Elon Musk currently has that he may work up to one hundred and thirty days as a government employee in any one year period. Joe Casper again has been discussing this move for weeks. This is not a surprise. Pete Hegseth appeared to allude to the possibility in an interview he did earlier this week, said that he is a great American and was certainly not not fired. But this is on top of the signal app chats, on top of the supposed yelling at the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs that Pete Eggseth reportedly yelled at Admiral Christopher Grady. I'll hook you up to an effing polygraph trying to figure out this. Of course, is the investigation into who leaked information about Pete Hegseth's meeting with Elon Musk from several weeks ago. So the noise has not quieted down to your point, even if he's got a vote of confidence from the President.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for the Democrats to grow some sort of teeth, for the party to wake up and get its head out of the sand, because it doesn't want to pay attention to Trump and go after this thing.
Speaker 3: Act like you want it right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you thought that after he beat Hillary in twenty sixteen that there would be kind of a soul searching of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: What do we need to do?
Speaker 1: And they would have come to the conclusion less wokeness, fewer gender, bathroom discussions, more helping working Americans who are struggling, the people who turned out for the Republican ticket in twenty sixteen, all the communities that felt forgotten by the Democratic elite on both coasts. How do we change the thinking about the Democratic Party. What do we do about the Hispanic vote? How do we get that back? All these really realistic questions that just didn't seem to get answered, just seemed a party of the weak stream.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: Alissa Slotkin, who is a former CIA analyst. She's now a Senator in a battleground state. She won her seat last year in a state that Trump, that Trump carried by the way, defeating her Republican challenger. It's given her some cachet among Democratic Party leaders, operatives, donors, and activists, and she has begun road testing what she calls a war plan to contain and defeat Donald Trump. She gave a first of a series of speeches about the Democratics Party's Democratic Party's path out of the wilderness. She's from Michigan, if I did not mention it, and she says the weak and woke party needs to change. She's urging Democrats to effing retake the flag with appeals to voter sense of patriotism, to adopt the ged alpha energy of Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell, and to embrace an airing out of potential twenty twenty eight presidential candidates in a broadly contested primary, fight for it show who wants it?
Speaker 3: Let people fight it out. I love this for them.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting to me that this relative unknown, at least on the national scene, is the one who's coming forward with a very loud voice in a platform right.
Speaker 1: Now because she can right, she can break things. You know, Gavin Newsom can't break things because he's got to make headway in the primary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if she doesn't have any plans of leaving the Senate anytime soon. She's guaranteed her spot for the next few years. Yeah, but think about the names that have been making a lot of headlines lately. Have been garnering headlines include Alexandria Cassio Cortes because she's been traveling around with Bernie Sanders. She has a new, slickly produced video that people are saying is probably sort of a soft entry into the twenty twenty eight presidential race. Corey Booker. Corey Booker gave a record breaking speech on the floor of the Senate that did nothing. There was no outside of the fact that he broke a record. Nobody talked about Corey Booker in the three days after that. It's interesting that she's also going after Democrats are hoping that they can secure a court victory in the Kilmar Abrego case, Abrego Garcia case. This is the Maryland guy deported to El salvador I. Just to me, that case is not the one.
Speaker 3: I would not want to pay my hat on that. Guys. We said it last week.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the best the best thing that happens for Democrats is that the Supreme Court slaps the wrist of the Trump administration forces them to make a deal with El Salvador to get this guy back into Maryland. And then what he goes before an immigration court and has whatever immigration holds on him taken away, but they turn around and to port him again.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, this a family that's struggling to feed the kids. Do they give a crap about this guy in this case and what it means and precedent.
Speaker 3: No, they care about making ends meet.
Speaker 1: This is again the I'm a politician and I'm focusing on things that don't matter to everyday Americans.
Speaker 3: You know, she.
Speaker 1: Does plan to deliver another speech next month. It's set to focus on killing sacred cows. She said, I love this quote. I don't think we need to hide the fact that Trump is flooding the zone and making us look twelve different ways at the same time. But again, I come from the national security background. There's no end of fighting unless you're dead. Interesting, well, I guess she's going to be one. Apparently we got to keep our eyes on just to watch.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about my age at which it all goes south?
Speaker 3: How did this make it into the show? The age?
Speaker 1: And when it all goes south? Do you think I want to go into the weekend thinking about.
Speaker 2: That, smoking, booze, lack of exercise. There's an age when those three things start to trigger the downfall of you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've passed that.
Speaker 3: That was like so many years ago.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: It was an interview with Time magazine that Trump said she had called him to talk about trade. Said he did not think it was a sign of weakness. China says, no, that that did not happen. In no world did that happen. In the meantime, Trump says trade deals with other nations are about three to four weeks away.
Speaker 2: There is a company that has announced plans to create dinosaur leather. Tell me More. It does a collaboration between the organoid company and Lab Grown Leather Limited and a creative agency VML, and they say that this leather is going to be developed in a lab in the UK by using DNA from a Tyrannosaurus rex. They will, once they've made sure that it looks genetically similar to that of a t rex, they'll incorporate it into their own lab grown leather cells and grow it, producing a dense network of collagen similar to the middle layer of skin.
Speaker 3: Which will then become what is that? What is a t rex leather collage? What is that? You don't remember what that is?
Speaker 2: We could put some t rex collagen in your skin, but they're talking about handbags and shoes and all kinds of stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Interesting with t rex leather, which would be great.
Speaker 1: Speaking of lack of collagen, when does it all go south?
Speaker 3: You have found science it tells us.
Speaker 2: So scientists tracked the health of hundreds of kids born in nineteen fifty nine, specifically tracked them until they were sixty one years old, and looked at how consistently people smoked or drank, or smoked and drank or smoked and dranked and sat around lazy for a long time and didn't exercise very much.
Speaker 3: When does it catch up with you? Is that the question?
Speaker 1: Basically, I would say it would be in all honesty, when you start noticing all of your choices in your body and on your face.
Speaker 3: I'd say it would be like mid thirties, because I.
Speaker 1: Remember thinking or reading something years ago that a woman is most beautiful at age thirty four, because you're center prime, you're out of your twenties, you kind of figure it out. You're comfortable in your skin, you're happy because you've gotten some sort of security in terms of career and family and all of that. And so I would assume it's somewhere at like right after there, like thirty five, thirty six, thirty six.
Speaker 2: They said that their health started to decline at the age of thirty six, those who were consistent smokers, drinkers, and lazy people. Yeah, that if they had all three of those things together to show thirty six is when it really started to affect the health.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 2: And they said heart disease and cancer caused almost three quarters of deaths worldwide. By following a healthy lifestyle, you can obviously cut those risks of developing the illnesses.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 2: Lack of exercise was particularly linked to poor physical health in those smoking was mainly linked to poor mental health amongst that group, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean all of those.
Speaker 2: An alcohol, they said, was associated with the clients in both mental and physical health, and the impact was greater for those who indulged in those habits over longer periods.
Speaker 3: Obviously, duh.
Speaker 2: The longer you do it, the longer it's going to the more toll it's going to take on your life later on. Lack of exercize causes things like organ failure, cancer, stroke, heart attack, early death. Smoking can cause lung cancer, heart and breathing problems. The previous research looked at how bad habits affect people during middle ages, and then followed people from a much younger age to work when to see to work out when the rot they refer to it, when that sort of sets in for your body. The results are applicable to people born in the fifties and early sixties, they said, but may not be as relevant to younger people because lifestyles have changed significantly over the last several decades. There's much more of an emphasis. I don't ever remember my parents exercising, and I mean like a workout now. They were active people. They always had stuff going on. Like my mom played on a city league softball team until she was until she retired into her sixties.
Speaker 3: What position did she play?
Speaker 1: She pitched a lot. Oh wow, yeah, she's tall. She was she excuse me, she was? She was like five to seven well for her, yes, for a woman she was.
Speaker 2: She was probably right above average in terms of how tall she was. And dad was active in that he would walk all the time, had zero problem going for a walk every single night. Of course, he was smoking while he was walking and didn't want to tell us, But that's a different story.
Speaker 3: We all our things.
Speaker 2: But but but not, they didn't do exercise classes.
Speaker 3: They didn't because it wasn't a thing. I mean, that was that was So that.
Speaker 2: Was the beginnings of the Jane Fonda workout.
Speaker 1: Tape, She's the Jane Fonda striped leotard nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 2: Say, but and I don't even know if I don't know if there was a gym in my No, No, that wasn't That was not a thing thing.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: My parents played tennis and they rode bikes in the seventies. Yeah, and I only know this because I saw tennis brackets and bikes in the garage.
Speaker 2: Drugs are different as well. I mean it's not just people smoking or drinking, it's people smoking, vaping, smoking different things, whether it's pot. Drugs are different because you're using different a lot more recreational use I shouldn't say a lot more recreational use of drugs that are different than they were fifty years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're synthetics righting all of that. Adele.
Speaker 2: Adele was born May fifth, eighty eight, is a former smoker. Said she gave up around the time she had vocal cord surgery. That would obviously that would be a big red flag. She was twenty three years old. Yeah, I didn't realize that Adele had vocal cortz er Husky.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 2: Oscar winner Emma Stone has been seen on screen smoking. It's not clear if she actually smokes when she's not in character. Glenn Powell the guy from Top Gun, and they often go hand in hand to drinking and smoking. I don't know anybody who said as somebody some okay, but I know people who drink but don't smoke, somebody.
Speaker 3: Who used to smoke.
Speaker 1: The only times I would have a craving for a cigarette was when I was drinking. Yeah, you wouldn't be you know, it wouldn't be eleven forty four on a weekday and you're like, I want a cigarette. But had I had a couple pops and me'd be like, oh.
Speaker 3: Cigarette, that's gonna smell so good. Oh my god, we should totally get a cigarette.
Speaker 2: Grandparent names When we come back to Gary and Shannon, you're listening.
Speaker 5: To Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We asked earlier today, what names you called grandma and grandpa, or if you are grandma and grandpa, what names you are called by?
Speaker 10: Good morning guys. So we are German, and I called my grandma Ohma, which is German, her grandma. And then when we started having grandkids, my mom became Oma and my grandma became great Oma, which I always thought was really funny.
Speaker 1: It sounds like great weekend, Grandpoopa, great Oma.
Speaker 11: Hey, Gary and Shannon. My boyfriend's sister, her grandchildren call her lollie, and they call their grandfather pops.
Speaker 2: I could do pops. I called my dad like pops for you. I called my dad pau.
Speaker 3: What about toots toots? Depends depends on what I eat.
Speaker 4: I had a friend when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: It was from the South, Yes, and he called his grandparents and men.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 9: Papa on me Ma, Okay. Regarding the grandparent names, I love what goes on for me. The three granddaughters, who all grew up are growing up in the shame, call me three different names. The oldest calls me nanny, The next oldest calls me Nina, and the baby girl calls me Nannie. Is a grandson and another family and he calls me nons A little psychotic, a little split personality. So this really works for me.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 8: I was known as Grandma Roxy Daisy.
Speaker 3: Yeah you look my dogs.
Speaker 12: And the other grandma was Grandma fishing Pole because she looked near the water.
Speaker 9: That is.
Speaker 1: Can we keep that forever? Roxy Daisy and Grandma fishing Pole? I mean, where is she from? I want all of the story with that Grandma roxy Tina.
Speaker 3: And I'm not a grandma.
Speaker 8: But I have a friend whose name is Michelle, and she has her grandkids called grandma.
Speaker 3: Sheelle's good, good day, Thank you, Grandmachelle. I love.
Speaker 12: My daughter called her grandfather Papa Duke, called duke. He did not want to be called grandfather, but she named him Papa Duke. And then my nephew called his grandfather pea pop pee.
Speaker 2: Pop pipa mem Those are pretty common. I think I like Pipa for you. I thought you said you'd like the other one.
Speaker 3: U toots toots, Hi, guys, this is Susan.
Speaker 8: My grandfather was Charlie Chaplin and my grandmother was Lida Gray. She was a little bit vain and so therefore she didn't want me to call her grandma.
Speaker 13: She decided I should call her mama Lita. So yeah, and I'm by the way, I'm Gompo and my husband is also Gompo, So there you go.
Speaker 8: Thanks, love you guys.
Speaker 3: Bye, Really, Charlie Chaplin was it was Grandpa? I I can't. I'm kind of obsessed now with Lolly and Toots.
Speaker 6: My grandma was born in eighteen ninety nine and as a baby girl, Teddy Roosevelt was running for president. So one day they went to a rally and Teddy Roosevelt picked up my grandma and gave her a chip on her cheek. So we called her Grandma's head.
Speaker 3: Even though her name was Oh, that's funny.
Speaker 7: I used to call my mother's mother Germ, not Graham, but Germ, like g e r m, and that stuck forever. She was my favorite person in the world. Germ.
Speaker 3: That's sweet.
Speaker 2: We will maybe you learn something about what you're going to be called when you're a grandma or grandpa.
Speaker 3: But like, how fun is that? Like I want to go over to Lolly in toots house?
Speaker 4: Mom?
Speaker 3: Can we go see Lolly in Toots Mom Christmas? Are we going to Lolly and Toots House?
Speaker 2: I think there's something there. You're gonna make it, Dick, even if it's even if I don't want it, it's not my business, all right. It is what you learned Friday, So let us know what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Shore.
Speaker 3: Not also shutting the door on Phonsie Lolly and Phonsie.
Speaker 9: Oh Man.
Speaker 2: You missed any part of our show, you can always go back and check out the podcast on the iHeart app just type in Gary and Shannon. And also, you get a special Saturday edition when you subscribe to the Gary and Shannon Show podcast. Not only do you get it every day, you get extras. On Saturday. We have a piece that you haven't heard as part of the show, all new materials. Wait, who's gonna get us a baby? Jacob left?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We may have to buy one.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Ya