Speaker 1: Welcome to the core side. Quantum Physics podcast, an exploration of the fundamental structure of reality, where quantum laws govern matter, energy, and information. Here, uncertainty is a feature, not a flaw, and understanding begins at the smallest scales.
Speaker 2: Imagine for a second the absolute ultimate divide in our understanding of reality.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the classic split.
Speaker 2: Right on one side, you have the classical universe. This is the world of the intuitive, the visible, predictable stuff.
Speaker 3: The everyday world exactly.
Speaker 2: It's where gravity pulls an apple from a tree, or where a baseball follows this perfect predictable mathematical arc. And massive planets they just orbit stars with absolute clockwork precision. The rules here, they just make sense to us.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because the the physics of everyday reality are built on this foundation of certainty. I mean, we can measure a macroscopic object, figure out its speed, and predict exactly where it will be an hour or a day or a century from now.
Speaker 2: Right, It's totally deterministic. But then, and this is where it always gets wild. You cross this threshold. You zoom in close enough down to the level of individual electrons and photons, and you enter the quantum realm, and all.
Speaker 3: Those comforting rules just completely evaporate.
Speaker 2: They really do. Suddenly, particles seem to just like teleport or they exist in this fuzzy cloud of probability, potentially being in multiple places at once until someone actually looks.
Speaker 3: At them, which is deeply unintuitive.
Speaker 2: Highly unintuitive, And for nearly a century, the consensus has been that these two realms are just fundamentally incompatible. Yeah, we've been told essentially that the universe speaks two completely different languages.
Speaker 3: Right, classical mechanics for the big stuff and quantum mechanics for the tiny stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and having two totally disparate rule books for the exact same universe, depending entirely on how closely you're squinting at it. That's always been an uncomfortable compromise.
Speaker 3: Hast uncomfortable as an understatement, I mean that philosophical and mathematical factor has pretty much defined modern science.
Speaker 2: Well, that compromise might actually be over because in April of twenty twenty six, researchers at MIT published this paper, which is in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A, and it fundamentally shatters this separation.
Speaker 3: It really does. It's a massive paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: It is they mathematically proved that the most iconic, the most bizarre quantum behaviors can actually be perfectly reproduced using purely classical physics concepts.
Speaker 3: And we should clarify there are no approximations here, no semi classical half measures were only kind of work right, No.
Speaker 2: Close enough. It is an exact mathematical bridge between the macro and the micro, which is just its mind blowing.
Speaker 3: The implications really cannot be overstated by showing that a separate quantum rule book isn't strictly necessary to get quantum results. I mean, Jean Jacques Lautine and Winfrey low Miller from MIT's Nonlinear Systems Lab. They've really changed the game here.
Speaker 2: So today we are going to unpack the mechanics of how these scientists actually prove this. We're going to look at the math, the physical models, and this wild reality that the classical universe and the quantum universe might just be the exact same thing, view through different lenses.
Speaker 3: It's a lot to wrap your head around, it is.
Speaker 2: So to really understand this breakthrough, we need to ground ourselves in the original rule book. First, Let's look at the classical world, specifically something called the principle of least action.
Speaker 3: Right, So, the principle of least action is essentially the beating heart of classical mechanics, and it's intimately tied to this mathematical framework known as the Hamilton Jacoby equation.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hamilton Jacoby, what does that mean in plain English?
Speaker 3: In simple terms, this principle basically states that when a physical system evolves, like say, a rock tumbling down a mountain, it will always always take the path that minimizes a specific quantity, and that quantity is called action.
Speaker 2: An action just to clarify for everyone, is the mathematical difference between kinetic energy, so the energy of the rock's actual motion, and potential energy, which is its stored energy based on where it is tracked over time.
Speaker 3: Exactly nature is. Well, it's incredibly a canonmical Macroscopic objects inherently seek out the absolute most mathematically efficient route to get from point A to point B, just based on the forces acting on them.
Speaker 2: A good way I like to visualize this and tell me if this tracks is to think of the classical universe as this perfectly efficient delivery driver using the ultimate GPS system.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So if you throw a ball across a field, the universe instantly calculates the absolute laziest, most efficient trajectory for that ball to take.
Speaker 3: It factors in gravity, wind, resistance, starting velocity, all of it exactly.
Speaker 2: And it plots one single hyper efficient path. The ball doesn't wander around the field exploring. It just follows that one eye optimal route. It's totally deterministic.
Speaker 3: One starting point, one optimal path, one destination. That is classical physics in a nutshell, right. But the contrast comes in when we try to apply that exact same logic to the quantum realm, because there we run headfirst into the Schrodinger equation.
Speaker 2: The famous Shrodinger equation, Right.
Speaker 3: It's the central pillar of non relativistic quantum mechanics. It governs everything from electron orbitals to the behavior of light. And the Schrodinger equation explicitly rejects the concept of a single defined path.
Speaker 2: So the single delivery driver's just gone.
Speaker 3: Replaced by an infinite swarm. According to the foundational models of quantum mechanics, like Richard Feynman's path integral formulation, a particle doesn't pick one efficient route.
Speaker 2: It explores like an infinite number of paths simultaneously.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, it takes a direct route, sure, but it also mathematically takes a route that loops around the moon and a route that zigzags through the floorboards. Every conceivable path through the universe is calculated and some together, which.
Speaker 2: Sounds completely absurd when you say it out loud.
Speaker 3: It does. But mathematically, all those infinite paths interfere with each other. They create constructive and destructive interference, and that results in a wave function.
Speaker 2: So instead of knowing exactly where a particle is, the Schrodinger equation just gives us a mathematical description of the probability of finding it somewhere exactly.
Speaker 3: We're just left with these clouds of possibility.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is where I'm struggling. We have a single hyper efficient delivery driver taking the most logical route on one hand, and on the other, an infinite swarm of drivers taking literally every conceivable path in the entire universe at the same time.
Speaker 3: The ultimate contradiction.
Speaker 2: Right, So, how could anyone possibly claim that these two mathematical models are identical? It sounds impossible on its face.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the genius of Slotein and low Miller. They looked at the classical Hamilton Jacobe equation the math for our single efficient driver and realized it actually had the inherent capability to handle messy quantum scenarios all along.
Speaker 2: Wait, really, the classical math already had it.
Speaker 3: It did it simply lapped two very specific ingredients to bridge that gap, and the first ingredient they introduced is something called multipaths.
Speaker 2: Multipaths Okay, let me guess instead of one single lease action path, we just upgrade the system to an infinite number of classical paths.
Speaker 3: H No, actually, because that would just be reinventing Feinman's complex path integrals all over again. We want to avoid infinity.
Speaker 2: Oh right, fair point. So what do they do?
Speaker 3: The MIT team expanded the classical framework to consider a select few highly efficient leased action paths simultaneously, so the math is allowed to evaluate multiple optimal routes at once, rather than forcing just one deterministic outcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, going back to our analogy, we have a handful of really good delivery drivers taking the top three or four best routes rather than an infinite swarm covering the whole earth.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's a multi valued, classical action.
Speaker 2: That makes mathematical sense. It's cleaner. But and here's where I get stuck. A few efficient routes still don't explain the fuzzy cloudlike nature of a quantum particle, right.
Speaker 3: Because a particle isn't just a fleet of trucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how do we get the cloud?
Speaker 3: This is where the second absolutely crucial ingreding comes into play. Density density like mass, not quite. The researchers use the Greek letter row to represent a classical concept borrowed directly from hydrodynamics. You know, the study of fluid motion.
Speaker 2: Okay, fluid dynamics, right, And.
Speaker 3: Fluid dynamics density describes how a substance flows, how it clusters, and how it interacts with its environment. They essentially grafted this classical notion of fluid density onto those multipaths we just talked about.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, I need to push back here. Particles like electrons, they are discrete, indivisible points of matter. They aren't liquids. So if we are tracking a single electron, treating it like a continuous flowing fluid seems like a huge fundamental contradiction. How does a single microscopic billiard ball suddenly behave like a river.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. The density here doesn't mean the physical mass of the electron is smearing out like spilled milk across the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, that would be messy.
Speaker 3: Very no. It represents a fluid of probability, and it's tied strictly to those multiple classical paths. Think about like traffic density.
Speaker 2: Traffic density.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even if you are only tracking one specific car, the mathematical probability of where that car might end up on its journey behaves a lot like a fluid. It clusters around bottlenecks, it spreads out over open highways.
Speaker 2: Oh I see.
Speaker 3: So by combining a multi valued classical action those multiple efficient paths with an analytically computed density flowing along those exact paths, the system starts to behave completely differently than just a single deterministic particle.
Speaker 2: The friction and the crowding of the paths dictate the behavior. So by calculating how this probability fluid flows and bunch of up along a few highly efficient routes, they built a mathematical replica of a quantum system.
Speaker 3: Actually, they went much further than just a replica. What do you mean when they integrated multiple classical paths with that fluid density, The resulting math produced the exact quantum wave function predicted by the Scherdinger equation. Wait, exactly exactly. The equations become literally identical once that classical density is properly accounted for in the math. Slow Teine even pointed out that they didn't have to invent any new quantum physics at all. They literally just applied classical fluidynamics to classical action principles.
Speaker 2: That is a massive claim because normally, you know, attempts to bridge the macro and the micro rely on those semi classical theories we mentioned, right.
Speaker 3: The ones that kind of work for large molecules but completely fall apart the second you try to model a single solitary electron exactly.
Speaker 2: But claiming an exact rigorous bridge means this theory has to survive like the ultimate boss battles of quantum mechanics. It has to explain the stuff that is historically defied classical logic entirely, and it does well. Let's test that. Let's start with the most famous one, the double slit experiment.
Speaker 3: Oh, the quintessential demonstration of quantum weirdness.
Speaker 2: Right, so we all know the basic setup. You have a barrier with two vertical slits in it and a blank screen behind it.
Speaker 3: Simple enough.
Speaker 2: But if you fire quantum particles like individual electrons through the slits one at a time, they don't just form two simple bands on the back wall like you'd expect. Over time, these single electrons build up an interference pattern, a really complex series of alternating light in dark stripes.
Speaker 3: Which looks exactly like the ripples created when two distinct waves crash into each other in a pond.
Speaker 2: Yes, but because you are firing the electrons strictly one at a time, the implication is that a single electron is somehow traveling through both slits, simultaneously interfering with the self and deciding where to land based purely on probability.
Speaker 3: Which is why the traditional quantum explanation requires calculating the complex phases for infinite and so many possible meandering routes the electron could take through space just to figure out where that constructive and destructive interference will happen on the screen.
Speaker 2: It is incredibly heavy, incredibly unintuitive math extremely so if the mit team is throwing out the infinite paths, how on earth do they get the alternating stripes? Because if you only have two classical multipaths, like one highly efficient route going through the left slit and one going through the right slit, that shouldn't create a complex ripple.
Speaker 3: No, two simple paths should just give you two solid stripes on the back wall exactly.
Speaker 2: So where does the wave pattern come from?
Speaker 3: Classically, it emerges entirely from the physical constraints of the slits themselves, acting upon that second ingredient we discussed the fluid density.
Speaker 2: The physical constraints.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the researchers mathematically modeled the physical barrier with the slits as a space with highly constrained choke points. So as the probability fluid travels along those two optimal paths, it is quite literally forced to squeeze through the narrow openings.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the physical boundaries of the slits are acting as literal constraints on the probability fluid exactly.
Speaker 3: The boundaries force the paths to bend, and they force the fluid density to ripple outward. The mathematical term involves constraint forces, specifically non Lipschitz forces altering the momentum of the classical density.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when the fluid density from the left path interacts with the fluid density from the right path after squeezing through those constraints, they naturally create interference.
Speaker 2: That is wild.
Speaker 3: The alternating stripes of the famous wave function emerge entirely naturally from the friction and pressure of classical fluid dynamics interacting with a physical boundary.
Speaker 2: So no particle being in two places at once, no infinite paths taking detours through the Andromeda galaxy. Just a probability fluid naturally rippling as it squeezes through two tight classical paths.
Speaker 3: That's it. No quantum magic required.
Speaker 2: That actually makes a terrifying amount of sense. It really does. But let's push this even further. What about quantum tunneling?
Speaker 3: Ah another great boss battle right.
Speaker 2: This is the phenomenon where a particle simply passes straight through a solid energy barrier, like walking through a wall.
Speaker 3: Which in a purely classical framework is totally forbidden. I mean, if you roll a ball up a hill, but it lacks the kinetic energy to reach the crest, the ball just rolls back down.
Speaker 2: It can't magically cross over to the other side exactly.
Speaker 3: Yet in the quantum world, electrons routinely appear on the other side of barriers they mathematically shouldn't have the energy to cross, and.
Speaker 2: The traditional quantum explanation is always that the particle is a wave of probability, and a tiny piece of that wave is basically leaks through the barrier. It's always described like a ghost walking through a brick wall. So how does a classical lazy delivery driver model explain walking through walls.
Speaker 3: By analyzing how fluid pressure and density naturally behave when confronted with an obstacle. The MIT team just applied their framework, relying again on those same multipaths and density evolution.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how does a fluid act differently than a bowl?
Speaker 3: Well, while a single solid particle obviously lacks the energy to surmount the barrier, a fluid distributed over a multiple paths behaves very differently. The formulation inherently allows for what they term transmission through forbidden.
Speaker 2: Regions, transmission meaning it seeps through.
Speaker 3: Precisely because the density represents a distribution of probability, the mathematical pressure of that fluid along the classical multipaths just finds efficient routes that seep through the barrier's constraints.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And the most amazing part the classical calculation, they did perfectly match the exact Shreddinger predictions for the tunneling probability.
Speaker 2: So the fluid density is just finding mathematically valid, highly efficient microscopic routes through the barrier that a single classical trajectory would just completely ignore. That completely reframes how we visualize the micro world. And it's my understanding they didn't just stop at the double slater tunnel link, right. They applied this classical framework to a massive roster of textbook quantum mysteries.
Speaker 3: Oh, they systematically proved the framework against numerous foundational problems. I mean, they modeled the harmonic oscillator, which is essentially a particle trapped in a quadratic potential, and they tackled a particle in a box.
Speaker 2: What did they find with the box?
Speaker 3: In that scenario? They demonstrated how a single particle bouncing back and forth off the walls naturally generates the very multipaths we've been discussing, which builds up a complex internal density all on its own.
Speaker 2: I want to dive deep into one of their specific successes, because just listing phenomena kind of doesn't do the underlying mechanics justice. Let's talk about the hydrogen atom.
Speaker 3: The kulum potential problem.
Speaker 2: Right, because applying classical physics to the orbit of an electron around a nucleus usually ends in total disaster, which is basically why quantum mechanics had to be invented in the first place.
Speaker 3: Right. Yes, classical physics says an orbiting electron should instantly radiate away all of its energy and just crash into the nucleus. It shouldn't be stable.
Speaker 2: So how did multipaths and fluid densities solve the hydrogen atom.
Speaker 3: By mathematically linking classical kepler orbits directly to quantum wave functions.
Speaker 2: Kepler orbits like planetary orbits.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same. Kepler orbits are the mathematical principles that describe how massive planets orbit the Sun. They are elliptical, predictable, deterministic paths dictated by gravity. Okay, the MIT team took the electrical attraction between the electron and the nucleus the coulum potential, and applied their classical fluid framework.
Speaker 2: But They didn't just treat the electron like a tiny planet, did they.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, they treated it as a fluid density distributed over multiple classical Kepler like orbits simultaneously. Oh yeah, and by mapping how the probability density flows along these elliptical paths, the classical math natally produced the exact complex, three dimensional shapes of elect orbitals.
Speaker 2: Wait, you mean the SP and D shells, the things that basically define all of chemistry, The.
Speaker 3: Very same the stationary states of an atom emerge simply because the fluid density falls into a stable repeating pattern along those classical orbital paths.
Speaker 2: So the shapes of chemistry are literally just stable fluid patterns built on top of planetary orbits. That is beautiful. But if that's true, how does this framework handle what I think is the most mystical part of quantum physics rock wave function collapse?
Speaker 3: Ah? Yes, the measurement problem.
Speaker 2: Right, the idea that a fuzzy cloud of probability instantly snaps into a single, definite point of reality the very moment a scientists looks at it or measures it. Does classical fluid density explain why observation actually changes reality.
Speaker 3: It demystifies it completely because in the traditional quantum view, measurement triggers this magical, instantaneous collapse of the wave function that completely defies classical explanation.
Speaker 2: Right, it's always felt a bit like magic.
Speaker 3: But in the MIT work, measurement is simply treated as a classical update of information.
Speaker 2: Like updating a statistical model when new data comes in.
Speaker 3: Precisely in that vein, if you have a fluid density of probability spread across several paths, and you place a detector along one of those paths, you are imposing a new physical constraint on the entire system because.
Speaker 2: The detector is a physical object interacting with the fluid.
Speaker 3: Exactly the moment the detector interacts with the fluid, the density distribution mathematically must update to reflect the new boundary conditions. Oh, the fluid doesn't mysteriously collapse due to human consciousness or anything spooky. The density simply redistributes itself instantly according to classical statistical mechanics, purely because the physical parameters of the environment changed.
Speaker 2: Wow. That removes the mysticism entirely, it really does. It just translates the spookiest quantum behaviors into rigorous classical statistics and fluid dynamics. I mean, didn't they even manage to map quantum entanglement with this?
Speaker 3: They did. They mapped entanglement, which Einstein called spooky action at a distance to complex classical mathematical structures called tensor products of spiners.
Speaker 2: It is a total rewrite of how we model the universe.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: But you know, if I'm listening to this, I'm probably wondering, does bridging this math actually change anything in the real world or is it just like the ultimate flex for theoretical physicists. Does this have practical applications in a laboratory today?
Speaker 3: Oh, the practical applications are immense, particularly when you look at the limits of modern computation. How so well, think back to Feinneman's pass integrals we discussed earlier the infinite swarm of paths. If you are a material scientist trying to simulate a complex molecule to invent, say a more efficient solar panel or a room temperature superconductor, the quantum math using Feinnemann's method becomes impossibly complex.
Speaker 2: Because asking a computer to calculate infinity or even just a close approximation of infinity across hundreds of interacting particles is going to choke even the most advanced supercomputers on Earth.
Speaker 3: The computational overhead scales exponentially. It hits a wall very fast. But this new classical approach relies on a tiny, minimal subset of highly constrained multipaths and a fluid density.
Speaker 2: You're replacing an infinite sum of probabilities with a defined system of fluid.
Speaker 3: Dynamics exactly, which drastically reduces the computational burden. It could massively massively speed up simulations in quantum chemistry and material science. It allows us to model complex molecular interactions that are currently just completely impossible to compute.
Speaker 2: It changes the fundamental algorithm of how we simulate reality.
Speaker 3: And it unlocks an entirely new tool set because the classical paths utilized in this framework are mathematically differentiable.
Speaker 2: Differentialbal meaning you can take the derivative of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, and in computer science, differentiability is the absolute core requirement for training neural networks and machine learning algorithms.
Speaker 2: Oh because gradient descent, which is how AI actually learns, relies on taking smooth mathematical derivatives to find the most efficient path to a solution.
Speaker 3: Right, and infinite quantum path integrals are notoriously difficult to differentiate. They basically block machine learning from effectively tackling quantum problems.
Speaker 2: But by translating the quantum system into a differentiable, classical fluid dynamics system, scientists.
Speaker 3: Can now bring the full unbridled force of modern artificial intelligence to bear on quantum simulations. We can train neural networks to solve quantum problems because the underlying mathematics finally speak the exact same language as the algorithms.
Speaker 2: That is a huge technological bottleneck just being completely removed revolutionary, But okay, to maintain our scientific rigor here, we do have to look at the boundaries of this breakthrough, because they haven't solved literally every single problem in physics overnight. Right Where does this new classical bridge currently fall short?
Speaker 3: That's a fair question. The foundation is incredibly solid, but it is currently proved for specific, solvable, non relativistic cases. The textbook mysteries we explored the double slit tunneling hydrogen atoms, those have all been definitively conquered. However, the researchers are actively working to extend this mathematics to interacting many body quantum systems, any.
Speaker 2: Body systems, which is when you have what thousands or millions of particles all interacting with each other simultaneously.
Speaker 3: Exactly heavily entangled, sharing complex potentials. The math required to track the multi paths and density evolution of thousands of heavily interacting particles introduces immense complexity. I can imagine they are currently developing complex actions for broader, general nonlinear potentials. They're pushing the framework beyond isolated textbook examples into the messy reality of macroscopic quantum materials.
Speaker 2: So it is an ongoing effort, but the structural integrity of the bridge they've built is basically undeniable at.
Speaker 3: This point, absolutely undeniable.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to think about. For nearly a century, the impassable casm between the predictable macro world and the probabilistic microworld just forced us to accept a fractured reality. We literally assumed the universe had a split personality.
Speaker 3: We did. But what the nonlinear System's laboratory demonstrated is that the laws of physics are far more elegant and far more deeply interconnected than our previous models ever suggested the strain seemingly magical behaviors of the quantum realm, the interference patterns, the tunneling, the orbital shapes. They emerge entirely naturally when we just allow classical paths to multiply and treat probability as a flowing physical density.
Speaker 2: Which leaves us with a truly mind bending question as we reflect on all of this. We started by comparing classical physics to a single delivery driver and quantum physics to an infinite swarm, And the solution wasn't a swarm at all. It was a fluid network of highly efficient classical roots acting under physical constraints. So if everything that makes the quantum world weird can emerge purely from the friction, pressure, and density of classical mathematics.
Speaker 3: It really makes you wonder does.
Speaker 2: The weird quantum world even exist as a fundamentally separate reality, or have we just been looking at a deeply classical universe through the wrong mathematical glasses this entire time, mistaking the complex flow of a fluid from magic.
Speaker 3: It's a fascinating thought to leave on