Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Bill Handle here. It is a Wednesday morning, November twenty seven. By the way, you're looking for Will Amy. Will is with Neil right now, not here on KFI.
Speaker 3: Just Will it's supposed to be here with us.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I understand, we'll get Yeah.
Speaker 2: Welcome to live radio. That's what I love about this program and others here on KFI. We're about as live as you can get.
Speaker 4: All right, Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Thanksgiving Day, Neil will be here from six to nine o'clock doing his Thanksgiving show, call in tips for cooking. Amy will still be here and coming up next week Pastathon. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash pastathon.
Speaker 4: For all the information. Hope to see you guys there.
Speaker 2: Also bottom of the hour, Rod Pile, I'm going to talk about the asteroid that's going to take out Earth in just a couple of years. Doctor Jim Keaney at eight thirty. We had a fun day to day and then ask handle anything. We're starting to do that and see how it works. Where you call in, you record questions that I don't know what they are. I hear them for the first time and I answer them, ask handle anything. And last time it was incredibly humiliating for me. Okay, guys, Ron DeSantis remember him, kind of hard to forget, the governor of Florida, and one of his more famous phrases and referen and referring to his state, Florida is the state where woke comes to die. And guess what woke is a die in? Walmart just rolled back. It's the EI program. That's diversity, Equity and inclusion is what that stands for. And it's the latest company to backtrack on these diversity initiatives.
Speaker 4: In the face of a couple of things. Right wing pressure, big time, you know, the right wing.
Speaker 2: I mean we with the election of Donald Trump, we're swinging hard right in this country. It's just that simple. And we voted for it. You know, it's not as if the election was stolen. It's hey, the people of America voted for this kind of way.
Speaker 4: America is going to go.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Welcome to you know, welcome to America. It's a free country.
Speaker 2: And so part of what's happening now is the whole idea of wokeness, diversity, inclusion, LBGTQ rights.
Speaker 4: You go on and on minority rights and why is that falling apart? Well, two reasons.
Speaker 2: One, as I said, you've got a lot of pressure coming in from the right, you have lawsuits that are flying like crazy, and you have something called the pendulum, and the pendulum swings. And we go back to twenty twenty the murder of George Floyd, and that exploded America in a big way. It showed how bad the police departments can be, I think, aberrationally, but there was also systematic problems going on with the many police forces. And then out of all that comes a whole new way of viewing America. Minorities are treated horribly and they are to some extent lbgkey rights. Heretofore ignored a lot of discrimination, I mean, and it went pretty far to the point where you know, police departments, people are running on the premise police departments should not just be defunded. Defunded means you just take away you take away money, budgets from the police department, but dismantled, let's get rid.
Speaker 4: Of the police. That was a thing. That's a movement.
Speaker 2: Of course that all disappeared because it went a little bit too far. And since we are all turning right America.
Speaker 4: Is not all of us are.
Speaker 2: But you have the left, which is I'm going to equate diversity, inclusion, LBGTQ rights, women's rights, reproductive rights pretty much with the liberal side of politics and American philosophy. Well, look what Supreme Court has done with reproductive rights Roe v.
Speaker 4: Wade, very conservative.
Speaker 2: Look what governors like DeSantis are saying.
Speaker 4: And that's gaining real strength.
Speaker 2: Look at the southern legislatures, Look at other than the East and West coast.
Speaker 4: Everything in the middle is not a big fan of Die DEI.
Speaker 2: And you have major corporations that are all over the place and they're going, you know what this is hurting us.
Speaker 4: This is remember Anheuser Busch with bud Budweiser.
Speaker 2: And they had this gay influencer, trans influencer.
Speaker 4: Now, normally would a corporation do that, I would.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I happen to be a big fan of trands and gay rights and always have been, so to me, I would make that business decision.
Speaker 4: I would go broke.
Speaker 2: They figured, and we're talking about the company lost one point five billion dollars in sales. Budwiser, after being the largest most popular brand of beer in the world, fell the second because of this, and so the pensulum has swung its di is going away.
Speaker 4: And by the way, other companies are doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of them are coming back realizing we have to move back towards the middle. You've got legal cases going going to see those going all over the place, because when you talk about those that believe in minority rights, affirmative action, for example, where minorities are given preference, where minorities are accepted and not deemed to have the same qualifications per the schools, by the way, per what the school says the qualifications, and who goes, who's at the top of this and who isn't when those are all going away with the courts and even here okay, and I've been here for a lot of decades here at KFI, and I just this morning show, this one. I'm not this morning but I'm talking about the morning show itself. We've been doing this show for thirty one years. That was the first time I opened the mic and said, welcome to the morning show.
Speaker 4: This is Bill Handle. And at that point I could say anything I wanted.
Speaker 2: Man, we were cutting edge, and then cutting edge became a very different definition, especially through twenty twenty and or the Me Too movement, the Black Lives Matter movement, and we got and by the way, I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of it, it became a lot more woke where we had to pull back so much that the show had to change. Here comes the pendulum. You know what, I'm having more fun. I'm offending more groups. I am pissing off more people. I am making more fun of your ethnicity and your penis size and your inability to sing or to sing, or your body or your body weight, or just go on and on and on. And now I'm back to offending everybody. And I wonder if we can go back to where we were. I can't even say what we used to do. I mean, it was that much fun. But at least we're moving back towards what I think is a middle ground. And I think that companies are pulling back because not only was this woke business, but it was also a political statement.
Speaker 4: That's another thing.
Speaker 2: Part of all this was where companies making political statements, and usually corporations would stay away from politics.
Speaker 4: You couldn't be within one hundred.
Speaker 2: Miles of a political statement if you were a corporation. Now you're all over the place, Disney all over the way. Remember guys couldn't have long hair, women couldn't have mustaches, and they changed that where they're now allowed to do that. It is all different ethnic groups. And I'm not going to go into you know, women, Okay, that's enough of that. It's just wokeness is moving away very very quickly. And I think a lot of the baby with the bathwater is going on too, I truly do. Okay, Now women are boycotting Thanksgiving. Actually, it's you know, we're back to with the election of Donald Trump. We are back to the Civil War in terms of how Americans feel about this election. It's the Grays versus Blues. It's brother against brother. The feelings are that strong. And it's really coming out this Thankgivings, this Thanksgiving, where entire swatches of Americans, particularly women, are boycotting Thanksgiving, not Thanksgiving per se. I mean they're fine with Thanksgiving. Their boycotting Thanksgiving with family members.
Speaker 4: Who voted for Trump. That is how upset and it really is.
Speaker 2: It's not Trump's supporters boycotting people that voted for Harris.
Speaker 4: It's the other way around. In terms of my experience.
Speaker 2: And the amount, the level of misunderstanding or not understanding what happens. Being shell shocked looking at people accept what Donald Trump believes in and has represented. It is so shocking to folks that entire families are being disrupted. I live with someone like that, and it is very tough to see. I'm not as affected, but she certainly is. And she spends a lot of time on social media and does a lot of instagramming, and has a lot of friends and is always showing me, look at this, look at this, and it's astounding how many family members, how many families have become disrupted. I mean, I was kind of stunned about this that you Thanksgiving. Can you imagine families not to getting together on Thanksgiving because of politics, not because Uncle Harold is a falling down drunk and disrupts everybody, Or you don't want Aunt Mamy there.
Speaker 4: Because well it's uncle Harold puts on a.
Speaker 2: Puts on a lampshade and pretends it's a hat and walks around. I can see families saying, no, we don't want anybody there who disrupts or is obnoxious.
Speaker 4: No, this is straight politics. This is straight politics. You voted for Trump. I want nothing to do with you. And I keep on saying, hey, listen, this is America. Americans did this. Oh my god, look at the three Supreme Court justice and Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade disappeared. This is America. The rules were followed. You had a sitting president who, under the rules of the Constitution, nominates Supreme Court justices. You had a sitting Senate that confirms, and it just so happened.
Speaker 5: You had a.
Speaker 2: Republican president a Republican Senate, and that's how three nominees came through and change the whole tenor of the Court.
Speaker 4: That's the way it works. Those are the rules.
Speaker 2: You may be unhappy with it. I mean, I'm not thrilled. I happen to believe in the concept of ro v weight. Although legally it's a very interesting argument that the president. Oh my god, there's been around forever. It's been around since nineteen seventy three Row, and there was a lot of argument that it shouldn't have been decided the way it was in nineteen seventy three. Now again I'm on the other side of the coin on that one, but there's some real solid legal premise and legal argument why Rose should have never been decided the way it was, and so it's the rules, and now entire families are being upset, and it's true. I mean I have I gotta tell you. I shake my head and I see conversations and I hear conversations, and to the level that people are engaged in hating each other, this time around has been very, very difficult. As you know, I'm not a huge fan of Donald Trump. I've said that over and over and over again. I think there's going to be a lot wrong with the administration coming in, but the level of the hatred for him his policies is crazy anti gay, although I don't think he's particularly anti gay, and by the way, I don't think he's.
Speaker 4: Particularly against reproductive rights.
Speaker 2: I think the only reason that he was was to go after the evangelical vote. I was simply a pragmatic approach because I don't think Trump believes.
Speaker 4: Much of anything.
Speaker 2: No, he believes in border security that he does, he believes in tariffs that he does. He believes in isolationism America first that he does, but those are his core beliefs.
Speaker 4: The rest of them, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so, And why is he going to continue being on the side of anti abortion because to him, the other thing he believes in more than anything else is loyalty. And if someone is loyal to him, look at the cabinet nominations. If someone is loyal to him, he is loyal to them, notwithstanding anything else. And the fallout of this is we are so polarized. We are We used to talk about how polarized we were. Man, it doesn't hold a candle to what's happening today.
Speaker 4: And it's it's horrible to see.
Speaker 2: And Thanks Thanksgiving dinners falling apart.
Speaker 4: Is I mean, have we really gotten there? Yeah? I guess we have. I guess we have.
Speaker 2: It's tough, it really is. I mean, with my Emily, we don't talk politics. We talked turkey.
Speaker 4: Huh strong, huh.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go ahead and take a break because I'm on. By the way, have you a little real quickly survey says, and have you experienced not necessarily your family members, but in general family members being.
Speaker 4: Divide? This divisive?
Speaker 3: I know that other families are, Okay, this is pretty much on the same page.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I have heard from friends who are sitting it out. Yeah, the family gatherings out, which is really really hard.
Speaker 2: Amy have you seen it either personally or amongst people you know?
Speaker 3: Not with not with my close circle. We're all fine, okay, Like my family knows like that. We're there's a couple of us who were on pretty polar opposites and have been for years, and so we just don't talk about it near.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough. Kno, I've lost friends, have you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Yeah. And if I had friends to lose, I would have lost friends. Okay. Rod Pyle, co host of This Week in Space.
Speaker 2: On the iHeart app been wherever you listen to podcasts. His website pilebooks dot com, p y l e books dot com.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Pile, good morning.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm fine, let me uh, excellent, Okay, I wanted to get rid of the frog in my throat.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: We have all seen science fiction movies about asteroids hitting the Earth.
Speaker 4: We know the dinosaurs became extinct.
Speaker 2: I think the Gulf of Mexico happened because of an asteroid.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we know that at some point the well, the US comes close all the time, the Earth comes close all the time.
Speaker 4: There, I want you to comment on this.
Speaker 2: The European Space Agency has just given a go ahead, uh for a mission to visit an asteroid called.
Speaker 4: At which is Greek for you are going to die.
Speaker 5: So exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's talk about this because this is a real thing.
Speaker 4: This is not sci fi. I mean, we're really talking about.
Speaker 2: Something that is out there I'm assuming eventually will.
Speaker 1: Happen probably, And you know, the Solo system's a bit of a shooting gallery. There's a lot of stuff left over from the early formation, big chunks of ice, rocks like Apophus, big blobs of gravel drifting around out there. So there's stuff whizzing past us and entering the atmosphere all the time. What we get worried about are these asteroids they call near Earth objects that are big enough to cause problems. So if Pophus is about fifteen hundred feet across, it lasts passed Earth on twenty twenty one in March, and it's been an object of concern since two thousand roughly. But JPL and NASA keep getting better and better readings on it and have been able to determine that it's going to miss us by about twenty thousand miles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's nothing. We're gonna be able to see it, aren't.
Speaker 1: We Yeah, we'll be able to see it with the naked eye. You won't see the features or to see hopefully a bright spot when the sun's hitting it. But yeah, in cosmic terms, that's a whisker. And the next time it comes around or after that, which is I think twenty thirty six and twenty sixty, it may.
Speaker 5: Be a little closer.
Speaker 1: But they don't see any real danger of impact for about one hundred years.
Speaker 5: But it's a city killer for sure.
Speaker 2: That's crazy and I assume that, and we've talked about this. The only way we are going to actually be able to do anything like an atomic bomb bowling it up. That doesn't do anything. It's just the pieces come and there's smaller pieces than a lot of them. It's nudging it out of the way when they discover one that's really going to come nearer or hit the earth. Where is that in terms of science or reality?
Speaker 5: So for decades we had known about this.
Speaker 1: The people I work with National Space Society have a big department working on this, and the idea was, look, we really got to get busy, guys and do something about this, because it's not a matter of if it's when, and statistically we're overdue for something an impact like this. So NASA put together a mission called DART, which stands for double ass Rays Redirect, Double Asteroid Redirect, Yeah, mission, And the idea was to send a spacecraft up and it's only about side of the golf cart, and its only purpose in life was to find the asteroid and smack into it, in this case, a little asteroid orbiting a bigger asteroid called detamos. And it did it, and the effect was not just noticeable, it was actually much bigger than they thought it would be.
Speaker 5: So we knew.
Speaker 1: We know, if we find them early enough, we can nudge them off. Course, you know, if you remember your high school geometry, you may need something bigger if it's closer when you spot it, and that's when you start talking about either nudging it with a nuclear explosion or even possibly attaching rockers rocket motors to it to push it out of the way.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming, depending on the size of the asteroid and depending on how far out it is, and I'm assuming depending on the speed that it's heading towards us, there's some magic formula there that landing on the asteroid just literally giving it just the tiniest little push is going to do it.
Speaker 1: We hope, and you know, we know they can do that math because it was only a few years ago that the Osiris REX mission rendezvous with an asteroid called Benu and grabbed a sample. And in fact, once Osiris REX dropped that sample off back at Earth, which they're looking at now, it was repurposed to go rendezvous with this asteroid Apophus in twenty twenty I just after it passes by US, and the European mission which is called RAMSES is going to rendezvous with it just before it passes by US.
Speaker 2: So the pictures that were taken on that spacecraft that went and landed on the asteroid whatever its name was, and the photos as it was approaching the asteroid, I think the last one was like a few hundred feet.
Speaker 4: Or just.
Speaker 2: Literally yards away. Extraordinary see an asteroid that close up.
Speaker 5: It really was amazing.
Speaker 1: And it just kissed it just enough to pick up that sample and bring it back. And one thing is this thing about these big asteroids. So the track about thirty five thousand of these neurot objects. The danger points are when they cross the Earth's orbit when we're in the way, that's what you don't want to be there, right, But one of the things that's become clear over the last few decades is a lot of these aren't rocks. They're just big piles of gravel. So they still pack a lot of energy, but.
Speaker 4: Not as dangerous, not as dangerous as dangerous.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rod, thanks, this just came out and it was of course they had to get your opinion on this, and unfortunately, we're not going to lose cities here. God, that would be so entertaining. You talk about ratings, right, New York has gone.
Speaker 4: Well, let's say one of them. Mind, I'm going to talk about another. You know what city do we wiped out for the purposes of this show that we feel comfortable with? All right?
Speaker 5: We always laugh at Barstows, so there.
Speaker 4: There you go. I feel better for no Barstow. That always works out.
Speaker 2: Unless you really like sheep, then it's a big problem, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Rod. Thank you.
Speaker 2: This week in space on the iHeart app and other platforms, pilebooks dot com. Pyl ebooks dot com one of the best websites out there.
Speaker 4: If you're all interested in space, we'll catch again, Rod. Thank you. Take care all right. Mood Dang.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know if you've heard of Moodang, but a lot of people around the world have heard of Moodan And it is a love affair with this little baby hippo. Baby elephants and hippos are so cute. I mean, when hippos grow up, they eat you. They're in the most dangerous animals in Africa. But when they're little babies, they're cute as hell. And the world is fall in love with this pygmy hippo moo ding souvenirs and costumes. She's out of Thailand or she lives in Thailand, and her zoo keeper and this is something that is These are zoo keepers that have a lot of brains. Anyway, her zoo keeper recognize her potential before her birth and hatched a plan because the zoo was struggling. He was about to fail, and he came up with this plan. And it's celebrity baby animals. And here is why hippos, baby hippos make so much sense.
Speaker 4: And baby elephants. Pandas are the big thing right all over the world. People love pandas.
Speaker 2: San Diego Zoo has pandas Washington Zoo had pandas. They're leased from China and they cost a fortune to maintain and keep up, and you have to bring him back to China the zoo. No one actually gets a panda, and they always have a name, right, What are the last two pandas Moo Googui Pan and Chowmine whatever the hell? Those names are the pandas names. But those are expensive. Baby Pigmy pigmy hippos are tremendous and they're cheap. But just isn't that much money to feed and get a baby hippo. So the zookeeper in China or in Thailand decided he is going to really go crazy and think of this before he is born. All of a sudden, we have a new baby hippo coming and we're gonna put it on the internet and we are going to video it and everybody will be jumping up and down, and you get to choose the name.
Speaker 4: What was the last panda after Mo Gooo Gui Pan left? What was allowed next?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 4: Ralph? That was it.
Speaker 2: It was Ralph, the little panda. Also, pandas don't do much, they really don't. They sort of sit there. Baby Pigmy hippos walk around, they pretend they're roaring, they practice they are, so they're just as cute as pie.
Speaker 4: And then they grow up and eat people.
Speaker 2: But we knew that, and so by the way, that's not new, you know, animals to bring people to the zoo, celebrity animals.
Speaker 4: Eighteen twenty eighth the London Zoo.
Speaker 2: Began and in eighteen forty seven they were about to go broke the London Zoo and people grew bored until guess what a baby hippo Obiash, named after an island in the Nile where he was captured. That was the first hippo scene in Europe since the Roman times. So Obiash or obeysh doubled annual attendance at the zoo. What fans do is they quickly attached to favored animals. The London Zoo sold Jumbo the Elephant to P. T. Barnum in eighteen eighty two. People were protesting in the streets. A black bear named Winnipeg became the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh Guy. A Western Lowland gorilla gets hundreds of birthday cars every year, and we just love to connect animals. Seabiscuit, the Great probably the greatest racehorse that ever lived.
Speaker 4: TV shows Lassie.
Speaker 2: Puntsatwani Phil Every year is spring happening where winter continues.
Speaker 4: In twenty seventeen, Fiona.
Speaker 2: The Hippo went viral because was she going to survive infancy? We didn't know she did. So you still want pandas? What is San Diego Zoo? I think has two pandas and people wait forever and you can you can't see him. By the way, you go to China, Beijing, you go to one of their panda enclosures because that's where pandas come from, and you look down, you're right on top of them, and it's not very crowded the place, and it's like a panda convention. It's like a bunch of pandas going to some kind of a medical convention. You got hot and cold running pandas here. People go crazy for pandas. So you are going to see zoo animals more and more. By the way, there are two siblings to Moo Dang, and I love this. They are named MoU Wan and Moo Tune, named after Tai pork dishes.
Speaker 4: For real, Okay, I'm not kidding. Now that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Named after food, because we all know that hippo is the meat is very dense and it really is a little gamey, especially baby hippo. So to name them after and they're not pork, they're hippo, so to name them after pork dishes doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: But this guy thought of it. He said, this is how we're gonna make money for the zoo.
Speaker 2: And the zoo has come back because of moo ding good for moo And what what do hippopotamus sound like? They say move, they do not kf I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app