Speaker 1: Stephen Presley joins us every single Friday. I find him on Instagram at thunder Pop TV. YouTube is the same handle. Let's just jump right into it. One of the stories that's come up several times on the show. We've discussed it, but we haven't discussed it with you, Steven is the Sydney Sweeney bar of soap where they took bathwater that she bathed and put a drop of it into a bar of soap. Doctor Squatch is doing it great, great marketing ploy. Love it. People will buy it. It's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's clever. She's busy too. I mean she's making all the money. She's supposed to do a Barberella remake that was reported recently. So yeah, I'll tell you what I mean. Would people go for Chris Hemsworth's Jim Sweat and a jar Trisha?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean, I.
Speaker 4: Huh, he's flipping it around to see if somebody else. I mean, I love thor that I'm still a little grossed out by Sweat.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll tell you what if I was at the gym and someone offered me Margot Robbie's warn gym socks and not to be pervy. I would take them because they gotta be worth some money. Yeah, I'll take those socks.
Speaker 1: You'll take being labeled a creep to get that few bucks for the socks.
Speaker 4: Yes, Like the chick who sold Prince Harry's underwear when he was in Vegas that night.
Speaker 3: People pay thousands of dollars for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's going to be some people kicking around ideas when they after the success of this Cindy Sweeney thing, They're like, Okay, what can we do with our celebrity? You know, what can we do? Yeah, to get it out there. The floodgates are open.
Speaker 3: I have one I can think of one, Brad Pitt. You know, he's known for being super sexy when he eats things. When he's chewing.
Speaker 4: He could chew up food and spit it out and then have that mixed up into a bar of see.
Speaker 1: Or you can just get people that can pretend they're baby birds and just spit it into a bag and then they can eat it like a bird does.
Speaker 4: It's a gross item that has to be presented in a pleasant, delightful package. So I think chewed up food in a baggie is not. I think a bar soap is a good vehicle.
Speaker 1: Would I would take Anne Hathaway's discarded chapstick tube.
Speaker 5: I would do Britney's tears soap?
Speaker 1: Oh nice?
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 1: There's going to be more and more of these things coming along.
Speaker 3: That way, yes, and they're going to be a grosser and groser.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the girl that's been out there celling her underpants for five years is like, what the hell? I've been doing this for years and no one knows who I am? Right, So moving along, I know that Jamie and Trisha are excited. I wasn't such a huge fan as they are of the Pee Wee Herman documentary which is streaming.
Speaker 5: Now, what do you mean you weren't a fan?
Speaker 1: I really wasn't.
Speaker 3: I never got into people any of the good stuff growing up.
Speaker 1: The whole I didn't understand and the whole pee wee thing, I'm like, I just didn't get it. I wasn't very smart. I'm not very smart. I just I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I mean remember the Alamo Peewee stop at the Alamo in San Antonio?
Speaker 1: So iconic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember miss why Vaughn would pull the entire giant thing of hair, spray out of her boobs and spray her giant beehive hairdo just little stupid things like that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know what a lot of people don't know this too. That the TV show The Pee Wee's Playhouse, Cyndy Lauper doing the theme song.
Speaker 3: Show like I do. Remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go back and watch it on YouTube, you will say, oh, there she is, I hear a voice.
Speaker 5: Phil Hartman was on that show. Yeah, Samuel Jackson, h Lawrence Fishburne. Oh, I just made the big mistake, didn't He would punch you if he was here. Oh my god, that was That was a famous mistake mixing those two guys up. Yeah, it was from a journalist and I just did it.
Speaker 1: You know what? Maybe you know what though? To make you feel better, people me JB all the time, not the thing. What's d Dub's documentary all about? What's the story? Is a good It's really good.
Speaker 2: And he did all of his interviews for this right before he passed away, so they got these really interesting stories from him. So he went to he started his training a drama at cal Arts and get this, there were ten arts students or ten drama students while he was there. That included David Hasselhoff, Paul Rubins, p Wee Herman, and Kay Segal from Mary with Children. You think of that, three out of the ten students go on to become pop culture icons. I mean the numbers aren't bad. If I have a kid that wants to go to acting school, I might consider cal arts.
Speaker 5: Kay Sagal had a singing career too, because we interviewed here once. This is before I met was working with you, Sandy. She she put out a record. She's a good singer forever.
Speaker 1: I thought Katie Sago and the chick from the B fifty twos were the same person, that same hair. Yeah, I thought they were the same person. Yeah, Tricia, why do you love pea up so much?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: It takes me right back to my freshman year in high school when Peewee's Big Adventure came out and we all went to the theater and were watching it and it was just hilarious. I think it just hit at the right time. It was just I don't know, we just everybody thought it was hilarious. It was kind of a bandwagon, but it really was funny, and there were sequels after Big Adventure.
Speaker 3: Right, Steven Worth her like two or three Peewee mobies.
Speaker 2: There's at least two more because he did Big Top Peewee later. Yeah, that was without Tim Burton. Tim Burton actually made that first film with him, and they did a Netflix movie maybe eight years ago.
Speaker 1: That was I remember that that. Paul Rubins really tried to shed the pee Wee Herman character and did a really good job of it. Remember he was in the movie Blow with Johnny Depp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how That's how he started. He wanted to be more of an avant garde kind of indie artist, right, Yeah, and then he joined Groundlings after he had a relationship breakup. He started realizing he had this strengthen comedy.
Speaker 1: H But it's good. It kind of fixes his image after his death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's some I mean, there's some real interesting I don't want to give away too much, but I mean you're gonna find find out some things that you did not know about Paul Rubins. He actually comes off even more likable in this documentary after you watch it. In his interviews, and he's a funny guy even when he's not Pee Herman.
Speaker 5: I mean, what what he did that took him down, you know, in a porn theater. Yeah, yeah, it's on today's standards. People would laugh that off. I think, let's just you know, I mean, everyone's putting it out there online. It's just it's nothing, you know, there was no victim. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think though it was so shocking because it was pee wee. It was a childlike figure two, which elevated it. It made it even you know, more of a big deal. But you're right, today people would be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steven Presley, our guest. Find them on Instagram at thunder Pop TV and also on YouTube with the same handle. Steven's always great about letting us know what's going on at the movie theaters, the promotions, the popcorn buckets, the freebies, all that stuff. And you say that AMC is employing a new strategy this summer, Yeah, if you want to call it that.
Speaker 2: So, the the big wigs, the suits that AMC get together and had a meeting recently and to decide, you know, the brain power, what is something we could do to improve the experience for moviegoers this summer at AMC theaters.
Speaker 1: And this is what they came up with.
Speaker 2: More commercials before the movie.
Speaker 1: Stop it, come on.
Speaker 2: They're adding at least adding at least one more long run commercial before each movie to generate more revenue for the theater. I mean, are we that far away from a time when we're going to have a had to pay premium for an extra cost to have no commercials doing your movie at the theater?
Speaker 5: I mean, I get I get that if they're trying to increase revenue, but this is a ticket we've paid for. This is not podcasting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That astounds me when people complain about the ads on a podcast and I'm like, how do you think this gets paid for?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 5: But the movie ticket I've paid pay Yeah, you know, so I shouldn't have to do that.
Speaker 3: And people purposely wait to try in time coming to the movie for right when it starts so they don't see commercials and previews. I love the previews myself.
Speaker 4: But the straight up commercials, yeah, that's I mean, I understand there's a need for it, but I don't know why they think that's going to attract more people.
Speaker 1: I don't you know what, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, how they came up with that in the brain trust, but.
Speaker 1: They, I mean, think about is the movie theater experience kind of peaked out, like it's really gotten good. I mean, do you remember going to the movies when we were in our twenties and you sat in those little tiny chairs with the right in front of you and your knees. We're hitting it. Now every theater's got the yeah, the blanket, yeah, and they've upgraded the food and some have weight staff that. I mean, they're really kissing your ass at the movie theater.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 1: How much more do you need to the movie experience?
Speaker 2: Massage during the movie.
Speaker 5: I think it's funny we went from the Peewee story to how to make the movie theater experience better. That's what he was trying to do. Yeah, poor guy, that's a different kind of theater, very different.
Speaker 1: But so that was really their answer is more give the people more commercials.
Speaker 5: Give them more commercials, you know, I mean, what what do you guys think would improve the theater experience?
Speaker 1: I just said, I don't know if you can. I think they've peaked. I mean it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty pretty big right now.
Speaker 5: What more do you want?
Speaker 1: Right The food's good, it's expensive. I mean, they're not going to lower prices because that's how they that's how they make their money. That's one of the I call it, you know, a certain experience. There's certain things you do. They got youa you know, JB and I went to a Texas Stars game the other night. How much you pay for that beer? Thirteen bucks? Yeah, I don't know, probably they gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they know. It was pretty insane.
Speaker 1: It's part of it. You're just gonna pay too much. It's the way. And if you don't like it, you don't go, or don't drink beer or whatever they got you, so you're gonna pay.
Speaker 4: That's like the people who take who go to the fancy movie theaters with the recliners and stuff and don't order anything but water. And I'm like, oh, but you're not doing it right. Like the drinks and the food and all of that. That's part of the experience. And you know when you get there that you're gonna be shelling out so much.
Speaker 5: I mean, I would rather pay less for less than good experience.
Speaker 3: An okay experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because we have a friend that likes to make to go to ipick and it's a big production. Yeah, and I get it if you love it, but we we walk out of there after movie and drinks for a couple hundred bucks. What just happens.
Speaker 2: You went to a movie and that's that's how much it costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean you really can't leave the house without spending one hundred dollars. It's just the way. I mean. Another one of those gotcha places is the rodeo or the fair or six any of those places. They're just ballgames. They just they just got you. More was Stephen coming up? In fact, I mean, there's something that was launched this week and I think all of us have read about it that people were camping out to get and you may not even know that it's a thing, but it is a thing. In fact, I pay a monthly subscription for this thing, and I'm not real happy about it. Also that and bas drop is forever changed. So stick around more with Stephen Presley from at thunder Pop TV coming up on Austin dat station one O three point one