Speaker 1: Let's go ahead, bring the man in and we can discuss what's going on in San Diego and all points in between. So uh, Nico as always great to see you, sir, and we have had a a It's been a busy couple days really where it Land United is concerned. It looks like that Miggy is close to returning the prodigal son returns, and I imagine that for the first home match for Atlanta.
Speaker 2: United, they're just gonna go ahead and open up the root.
Speaker 1: They're gonna open up the building and just go everybody come on in. That's gonna be crazy. And it looks like, according to Tom Bogert and Ben Jacobs over at Gimme Sport that right now they've reached a verbal agreement with Middlesbrough on Emmanuel late loth in the neighborhood of twenty million US. So it Landy United, very busy. But what I wanted to start with you is what you talked about yesterday in your reporting about raw Ruy Diaz, and we had, uh, we had our Buddyno Torres on before you to discuss the Peruvian angle in all of this. But you have San Diego now, Tyler heaps dialing up raw Ruy Diaz and his reps on the phone. What happened there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, first of all, always get to be here cup number one of coffee. Uh. I'll let you know that I'm a little bit behind today. I was trying to get nice and pretty, did not look at the time and what are now? Failed on the pretty failed on the time, but ready to be ready to hop on. Uh. Yeah, that rowdy think I'd been working on for about a week. It is something that I was trying to confirm. I wanted to make sure that it was indeed reliable sources, uh, and they are. This is definitely one of the many options that Roldredias is taking in Uh. He was very edamant about wanting to take some time off when of the when of the break, when it disconnect, you don't want to hear offers. Wanted to go to Peru, enjoy his family, enjoy his time, and then when it was due time take the options that were out there. I am told that San Diego of c is one of two contenders for a landing spot to Raoul Ridiez. He's clearly prioritizing MLS as I've been saying since last year, forever and ever, there's also a possibility in Mexico. So he's you know, taking it very serious about where he wants to go for the right reasons, that it matches his home life, that you know, if his family is going to be okay with probably a lot of traveling since he hasn't really left the area of Seattle just yet. So it's going to be a real difficult decision. But the interest is out there, and if you really think about it, he would fit in San Diego. Why not bring in an experienced striker that can help you win, that would be willing to come in in a rotational role. That again, I think every single expansion team that we've seen has had some sort of veteran leader out there for those attacking positions. And he can definitely provide that he's been staying very fit, making sure that his body is right. So whatever club does decide to take a chance on Roll Radios will not be disappointed on his form and conditioning going into twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, all right, And so with obviously our focus has been on at Land United and how busy Chris and Garth have been in trying.
Speaker 3: And I should have had that by the way. I mean, Boger literally beat me on the Megate thing by the slightest margin. I just I was to get everything he put out at the end. But you know, props to him that that's why he does what he does. But I had the day before source number one, which I always like to have too. This is a really good source. But still I wanted to make sure to get a second one before I threw it out there. I wanted a little bit more details. But Source number one was like, this is Garth written all over it. I mean, if you think about it, if you dissect it, bringing Meggi to Atlanta, is it garth move If there's one not to mention Chris Henderson obviously the guy that I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but the Sounders when they brought Nicholas Sadero, Chris Henderson always doing a fantastic job with his brother Sean Henderson, they had the option Miguel Almiron, Nicolas Ldero, sell Astean Blanco. Those were the three options that they were looking at. See ended up going with Nico. Did not miss there obviously for different reasons. Right they knew that Miki was a guy that was gonna hit hard and bounce to Europe. And they knew that Nico was going to create a legacy, be a pillar to your franchise. So Chris Henderson very happily was looking at Miguel Almoneroon because it's a full en circle of when he came into the league and now he's bringing him back into the league.
Speaker 1: And this has been one of the craziest weeks just with information and folks going places. I know that at the beginning of training camp you can sit there and make make the connections here, but I have I have here in my hand a list of everything.
Speaker 2: And so let's see today being the sixteenth, so today, so if we go back, just say two days. Let's go back two days.
Speaker 1: Eric Williamson traded to Charlotte from Portland for one hundred thousand and game two hundred and fifty thousand conditional game on a on percentage. Mattias Jorgensen signs with lag then a transfer from Anderlecht. Kyle Rowls comes from a two year deal from Hearts, which includes a twenty seven option. Nashville signs Chris Applewhite. They finally signed yet another homegrown Yesper Sorenson signs a contract to be the new head coach in Vancouver, and I do want to talk about the Vancouver ownership situation with you, because we promised that last week. Nokvithotisen signs on a transfer to All Caps from Sparta Rotterden. Today O Agende a one year contract with Messi and Friends on loan from Celta Devigo through twenty five. Tayo corbian Who signs a one year deal on loan to TFC from Granada through twenty five. Eric Duanea signs a one year deal with Houston. We know him from being an original at LAFC that includes options twenty six to seven and eight. Alejandro Alvarado a two year deal with San Diego transfer from FC Vezela, which includes options for twenty seven and eight. Leonardo Barosso four year deal with Chicago Iago via U twenty two via transfers from Sporting with including an option for twenty nine. Randa Lao claimed off waivers by DC United from Nashville wyat Almsburg to the Revs. Chiciago Andrage signed by transfer from Toronto from Jezero Osaka Owen Chiago home to LAFC, Joseph to San Jose, on I Vadacati to San Diego, Mason Toy to Sporting Kansas City, Todd Ryan Anonga of FC Cincinnati, Lucco Acasta, Lucoregiano not interested anymore, Maxi Morales nights within IFC. Kobe Henry signs with RSL, Sam Rodgers to Chicago, Jason Pelasios to Nashville, Ariola and pet bl Good lord.
Speaker 2: Man, what's going on in Major League soccer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been it's been craziness, right. I mean, I think my favorite so far has been in down south from US here with San Jose. They've been the surprise team for me. I thought that chich Orango was great business. I think that they pounds on an opportunity that Kurt Schmith said did not take him by surprise. That it was Christine and Angel who approached our sell and said he wanted a fresh start, and that's what apparently seem to happen there. So Bruce Rita definitely like his proven attackers and in Christian that's what you get. And Chico, if anything, has shown you that in his first year that's what he punts you hard and he punts you twice, so it's gonna be a good stetup down there. I like the Joseph Martinez move. They already have some pieces there in the Pinosa and Hernandez. I mean, I'm looking at San Jose and once they really tied up a few things on the defensive end, I think that's gonna be an interesting one. But look between the new rules, between.
Speaker 2: Some of the.
Speaker 3: Dynamics that we've seen over the last couple of weeks. I appreciate the fact that everyone's trying to just get ready to battle, and I understand that the sense of equity and balance and parody tends to at times, especially in today, someone less be more of a mirage because if you have the cash, if you had the money, you do have a bit of an edge. And you can tell by some of the top teams in the league. They're putting in the most money. But all of these new rules, and if you're able to use your resources correctly, it gives you a fighting chance. It gives you an opportunity to surprise some people the way the Sounders did last season by getting as far as they did. So it's going to be to me exciting how this continues to develop, and how some of this new cash options within the league work out, and how some trades with the piece could happen, and what does happen with Luchua Costa and what does happen with Evander. I mean, you know, there are just a lot of situations that man, it's a great time to follow MLS now You've got to be familiar otherwise you're going to be completely lost. But if you are a follower of MLS, it's been fun.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And you're seeing other names being linked in. You're seeing Wilf Zahan now being linked to a move to Charlotte. You're seeing Naymar being linked to MLS clubs. Naymar Is getting paid the proverbial ish ton of money to be playing in the Saudi League.
Speaker 3: That one I don't love. That's one that I'm not That's one I don't love. It just seems like and look, I've never been in for bringing in players like that, and obviously little Messy being the exception. But if you even compare there Messis and Suarez's minutes and productivity over the couple of years prior to moving to MLS, it makes sense. But you look at Aymar Man and he hasn't had a thousand minute season for I think three, if not four seasons. So it's one that I don't is one that I don't love. I understand that it's tempting and he tends to be one that's going to put butts in the seats and fans in the stands, but when he comes to soccer man, I'm just not sold on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and right now, the one named team is Chicago, and Chicago needs to put butts in seats in the spaceship. They really do, because when you watch games involving the Chicago Fire, you got a lot of empty seats masquerading a season ticket holders.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is a time.
Speaker 1: It can be a hard watch and that's why you'll see a lot of tight shots involving Chicago home matches because lack of folks that are there. There were two other clubs that are allegedly linked to conversations with Naymar's agent parenthesis, his dad close parenthesis, and I am I'm intrigued. I don't and look you said it. It's a fun time to be following Major League soccer. You have clubs who are not afraid to invest and we're also going to be learning. Okay, there's a difference between investing wisely and investing for the sake of just throwing money at a problem.
Speaker 2: And I think that and that.
Speaker 1: Will be the that will be what I think the next stage here in Major League Soccer is who is investing to invest long term, who is investing wisely, and who is investing to throw money at a problem? That I think will be something to monitor going forward.
Speaker 2: It comes to this.
Speaker 1: Season, who comes in, how they fit, how they don't fit, and what we're staring at in the twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Especially for me, the team that I'm looking at in that sense to figure out what category I'm going to put him on tends to be Austin. Look, I'm going to be frank with him, be frank with your audience. I am not a fan of Rodolfo. I think that he is an impulsive and overbearing sort of GM that wants to be the protagonist and to hold the Rusie situation. And before that, we can go on and on about the swings that missus. They've had a dpiece. They're really doing a disk service to one of the most fun and creative and supportive fan bases in MLS. The stadium is great. I love that Birthday. I mean everything about Birthday. I love about I love everything about Austin except for the front office. And look, I love Matthew mcgannaughey and all the movies or whatever. But obviously not soccer is not what he is known for. So I'm gonna blame the soccer heads and not necessarily the ownership there, because obviously, if you're gonna go pay ten for Basquez, the money's coming in, So that's not the issue. But it's the lack of an idea and a roster built that has been missing for three years. Me and you have discussed coaches, Me and you have this cused moves or either lack thereof or wrong moves. So Austin is one team that I feel like they don't have the wallet that maybe Atlanta and Miami d but they have a decent budget and they just haven't used it correctly. Chicago for me is another one because they've been another disappointment for so long, so long, one of the originals, one of the teams that man, I love the city at Chicago, but you could tell that the fire it's like the stepchild that no one really cares about in that city. I mean, I would go to a gift shop and maybe there might be a couple of key chains, but there's nothing. I mean, there's cubs, there's White Sox, there's you know, bull stuff, I mean, whatever you want, but Chicago fire is just not a thing in Chicago, their own city. And that is a result also a bad managing of money and a lack of a real good soccer module and an identity in a academy system. So many things a wrong in Chicago. So those are the two to me that if we go one West Coast team, one East coast team, those are the ones that I'm going to be looking at.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Austin. Austin looks like it is going to be River and Drew uc and not a Studiante's in dreuc de Deonte's at points looked like they might come to the table with more money, a little bit more, but Dreusi wants to go to River. Right now, it looks like Drusi and River and the deal for about ten million. And so then this morning it's reported that Austin has agreed to a deal to sign mirto Is Uzuni from Granada, an international, an Albanian international forward. Austin is going to trigger the twelve million euro release clause. The deal isn't done. This is from the last hour, pending final details in a medical. Third new club, third new club, record transfer in the last six months for Austin. So Austin's stepping up to the table when it comes to trying to bring in players. You bring in Vasquez, you might be bringing in the Albanian striker from Granada, then the other DP that you signed as well. So not afraid to spend money. I still wish the stadium was bigger. It's such a small stadium that cannot agree it can't be expanded, and I think that's going to hamstring the revenue from Austin FC. But to your point, I like Chicago. I like the idea of looking at Chicago spending money to just spend money to try and solve a problem. I'm intrigued by everybody else so far Seattle. I wanted to break down this discussion with you about Seattle. The latest from the time that you've been able to spend and talk to folks in Ariola coming in. I know that there was a discussion on your timeline about formations and how things may look one way or the other. What are you anticipating now that training camp is up and running with Seattle, and what you're seeing from everybody who's now in place and who's left over from last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, big report of week one of Sounders training has been positive. I said it right off the bad My impression right now is that the teams in high spirits. You could tell the positivity from the big smile and Ryan's face as soon as he faced the first round of questions at the press conference. He's excited about this team. Paul A Riola, it's a player that, look, I didn't really know if he was a necessity for this club, but man, is he just a good dude. I mean, he's just as likable as it gets, and when he comes to the eye test, immediately passed it. I did not expect anything less from a player that has fifty caps with the usbn's national team, that has been on a ton of teams, that has played in Mexico. So he's one of those guys that he looks sharp, he looks like he's playing at a different speed, and that's good, right, off the bat, because you have a player that barely needs a preseason to be, if not at his top level, at a good level of his performance and potential. So he's been out standing. Uh. He's been playing as a wing back, mainly on the right side. Did see him play on the left side here today? Obviously not as sharp with not his favorite foot, if you will, but has the ability to cut inside. Had a beautiful banger on the right side after a pass from Danny Lava. So he's exciting. Uh, he's passed the eye test. I again, I wasn't in love with the move, but he is growing on me extremely quickly. Three days. I have been there from the start of practice to the end of practice, and he gets my check mark for I get a couple of standouts. Georgie Manongu that the young guy that was so exciting last season looked like that man has been working on his finishing back to back goals and scrimmage a couple of days ago. Uh, just looks gold dangerous, extremely fit. Uh, low body mass and a lot of muscle, which seems to be a trending topic because job looks five years younger. I mean the guy, he says is because he trimmed the beard. But it's not that, baby, there's not that much weight on your beard. He looks good, he looks quick, the verticality, the horizontal movement. I see those hips shifting. That had been an issue for him. He talked to us and was very frank about how slow his rehab process was and how he didn't really have a chance to get back to top form. He looks good though. It looks top form. Probably the best pre season condition I've seen from JP since his MVP season or finalist MVP and MLS. So those things are very interesting. Josh Atensio at center back. You talked about formations. There's been a whole lot, a whole lot a three in the back when he comes to scrimmages, when he comes to just short sighted gains, no doubt. Di's a point of emphasis. Not that's what the team is going to go and start with in twenty twenty five, because I feel like the default formation is still for two three one, in my opinion, is the formation that gets the most talented players on the field at one time. But it's interesting to see them work so much. In his stream information, Oh bet the game has released slow down for this young man. You can tell that he is seeing the game at a different speed. The way he cuts, the way he gets out of pressure, his ability to break lines with the ball. He has not lost The beat was exactly my tweet on Ovid Vargas. Looks fantastic. So all in all, Seattle's interesting. The only bad moment so far is Jackson Reagan talking to us yesterday extremely disappointed that he's not going to get to go and be in the January camp Fortino. I understand he's been working so hard for this opportunity, but honestly, I blame you with soccer, John, I blame you with soccer. This is not the first time that is all or nothing. Look it's January, kim Man, I mean, see the guy. As far as we know so far, Jeremashan reported at first, we confirmed later as a club, the Sounders told us Soccer, Yes, you can have Jackson Reagan. He can go work with you. We just need him back by the nineteenth. The team travels to Spain this Saturday to Marbella. They play Konkakov Cup in Guatemala like the twenty something of this month, so they need their team ready they need their starting center back to figure out whether they're gonna play three in the back in that one two what's gonna be the formation, right? I mean for in the back, I mean, is it gonna be two standard backs? Is there going to have to be some chemistry things that he's got to figure out for one? For two, the injury bug, right, We've already heard about Ferreira being released by US men's national team because of a fitness issue. So you know, those are the things that in the past, Jackson has got injuries in this sort of camp. So those are the things that make teams apprehensive. But again I blame US Soccer because they had every sense to say, hey, we got one of the best American center backs in MLS come into camp, let's check him out for eighteen or a couple of weeks, and we're going to figure it out. We're going to send them back or less work with the Seattle Sounders. But when you has soccer and MLS are not working together and it's more of a power struggle, that's when I blame the US Soccer Federation because you're supposed to be the one that wants the best for the soccer in your country and in your federation, and this is not helping out anyone. So so I understand the frustration by Jackson Reagan. We don't know if he's upset at the club or add the federation. All he said was, you know, I came out disappointed and I was told I was going to go, and then I was enabled to go. But then he said, I'm not taking any more questions on it. I want to talk about it. So we didn't pry him on it. Maybe in the future we'll get a little bit more insight on the situation. But that's probably the only negative out of three days that I've been at Providence in Swedish Performance Center and clubhouse.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Providence in Swedish clubhouse. So so yeah, we'll just call it the Providence in Swedish Clubhouse going forward. I like that one other thing before you get out of here, on my list and whatever else is on your list before before we go, I wanted to discuss we mentioned, yes we're Sodensen is the new head coach for Vancouver White Cats, and there is a there's a for sale sign on Vancouver's front lawn right now because the family that is the main owner is concerned about estate taxes down the line for a franchise that they have invested in, and they have invested well, considering what they did when they paid and what it's worth now and what Vancouver has done as a franchise.
Speaker 2: When it comes to.
Speaker 1: The time that I spend this full disclosure, I spend time as a talking head on Canadian programming occasion. There is a direct concern among the Canadians on the shows that I'm on up there that Vancouver will not exist as the white Caps and it will not be a home for a major league soccer franchise when the new owners come in, whomever they are, after you know, a couple of years and being displeased with BC plays, what is your look at the Vancouver situation as they now have a coach, but they're looking for somebody else to be the new owners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sad because the uncertainty of this team is not unfounded, and I believe that there are markets where a new ownership could say it is more profitable to move this team X or Y or z, And that makes the probability that a fan base that has been as patient as any that has been year after year been disappointed even when the team has looked like they could make a run, whether it's at an international tournament or the domestic or the Canadian Championship. So it's just one of those situations where I get it just the jasper source. Since contract that's two years was odd to me. You're bringing in a guy is a two year contract? I don't understand. How can there be three? How do you not trust this guy? Do you think that it's maybe just like a learning type of situation, we'll figure it out, or are you thinking, look, in a couple of years, we're don't even ever going to be here, so it's going to be fire cell elsewhere. I mean, I don't know just everything about this situation, the coaching, the information that we know about the reason of the sale, just gives me the feeling that Vancouver white Caps or white Caps in Vancouver is at risk. And I feel for that fan base because they do show up and they have a team that to me could win now. They have a good roster, but they've never been able to really put it together. So whether it's the I didn't understand Vinie Artini firing either way, So let's start there, and that's exactly what makes me believe that there's something behind the scenes that we're kind of reading in between the lines, and by the time that we realize what it is, it might be that Vancouver is no longer going to be a whole city for m LS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obviously we'll keep an eye on that going forward.
Speaker 1: But yeah, your point about only a two year deal for Sodensen being the new head coach, getting Vanny Sartini, who really needed to be protected at all costs because of how beloved he was as a coach in Vancouver, and just the situation surrounding his dismissal or disagreement or not coming to whatever you want to however you want to classify it. It's just there's a lot here that doesn't quite add up and trying to figure out, Okay, where are things here? I think you might be on this, say so, we'll keep an eye on that going forward. What else is on your rundown of topics? Before we let you go and have breakfast and get you ready for the rest of your Thursday out on the West Coast.
Speaker 3: No excited for the Sounders to go to Marbella talk to the whole squad and everyone is excited to, you know, play European competition, to be out of the country, to have the camaraderie that can be so important for a group. I thought it was interesting that Stephen Fry, a player that has been impressive in this first three days. By the way, at his age, he seems like he's really working on that explosiveness, that reaction time, does, ability to manage high balls. I mean, everything that makes a goalkeeper has looked fantastic. But as a captain for the second year, that was my question to him, and he's like, did you learn anything? What is it that maybe you're taking into this year? And I love the fact that he's look I wanted to do a lot of things. It was my first year as a captain, so I went to the right channels asking for permission to take my guys out to do things. This year, I might just do I might just do things after forgive it later. I mean, I thought it was really cool that he's embodying that captain role because it is something that Seattle needs more of. So that's one of the things that was interesting for me. Additionally, Seattle has some really interesting young guys, so I did not want to leave your show without naming some Stu Hawkins man. That kid looks like the real deal, very young, but he promising. He's a guy that look I forget the name of the kid that it is United ended up being sold to. I think it was Dor Mud or a German team for a lot of money. I think that Stu Hawkins has that same profile, if not better. He's so good on the ball, man, I mean he gets flourwarled with such ease. He glides on the ball. His IQ is high, not afraid to put his body. He needs to, you know, maybe hit that protein, you know that the little bit of get some rebuy on his you know diet, you know, get a little muscle. But other than that, man, the kid looks really really good. Leo Burnley is a guy that was also brought in. He is a big he's strong, he looks the part. The Seattle is always doing the right things to keep that Costellar group together. And they might not have had the splashy signings this season, but I think this is going to be a group that's going to be interesting. I am more excited and more I have more high hopes of this specific roster than I had of the twenty twenty four roster in that preseason camp. So I'm excited for It's going to be interesting and we'll see what happens so here on out. When it comes to Raaldridiez, I'm gonna be on the ball Atlanta, I mean you guys again. I want you all to know that. I literally said that when we talked about Takashi. There's gonna be a lot of money in two players. Right, you already know the two players. Now, now does it get through the line? Does it push up? I'm excited for Atlanta United this season. I think they're gonna have a really good year. So hey, just thank you for having me on. We are not gonna be doing a stalker bar where we might not be doing it at all because one of our guys is actually leaving the country for a better opportunity and I'm happy for him. So now I'm gonna be looking for a new new venture. We're gonna be doing something with Jeremiah Shan I think on a weekly basis through Sounder Hard podcast, So check that out. We're really gonna be getting together with him this Friday to iron some things out. But I'm excited always good to have that podcast with Jeremiah Shann He's fantastic. So if you don't follow him mature, you follow him now, and uh thanks man. Obviously I'm gonna be on SDH all year long. Baby, right here, trying to bring it to you. I wanted to hold off that role Ridius for you, and I had just lost Mega. I want you to know that I'm gonna go ahead and say I was gonna hold the road radius, but I lost the Miga for not shooting quick enough. So I just went in and put that out there. But I'm gonna get you one. I'm gonna get you one.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you've always got a home here, brother. It doesn't just have to be on Thursdays.
Speaker 1: If there's ever a if there is ever anything on your mind, sir, you know that you have golden ticket. You can drop in anytime you want and it's like, bruh, I got something I gotta talk about and then we'll hit the sirens and we'll find Well, you know, I'm looking forward to the report from Marbea.
Speaker 2: You're I'm looking.
Speaker 1: Forward to seeing you in Spain, Spain behind you next week when you're talking about everything at training camp and not, but no, seriously, with everything going on out there in the West, you got a home.
Speaker 2: You know you've got a home, so just come on in whenever. We know that. This is the main time that we want to catch up with you on a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna use that that's important. I'm gonna hit you up and say, hey, let's drop this now.
Speaker 2: I like that, dude. That's what we are here for.
Speaker 1: It is all about making sure that loth Amelia has the platform where we can discuss things. And if it's not just Providence in Swedish Clubhouse, anything else on your mind, you know you've got a home and it's always here for you, my friend.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it, John, thank you as always. Thank you to your fan base. Let's have a good twenty twenty five. I appreciate it. Have a good one. I'm i enjoying my coffee. Thank you, John,