Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k if I am six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We are also asking you a magical question today, and today's magical question was what path didn't you take? Almost did? Would have led to a completely different life? What path didn't you take?
Speaker 3: Almost joined a gang in high school?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: It was linked with.
Speaker 2: Freaking Mexican mafia.
Speaker 3: Oh, but I would ditch school and smoke marijuana and rebel. And I am very glad I did not.
Speaker 4: Join that gang. Yeah, we are too. What was the path you almost too? Well?
Speaker 6: Believe it or not.
Speaker 4: My path that I did not take, And I kind of wish I had was radio.
Speaker 7: I have done voiceover, but didn't really get into the radio scheme, and I.
Speaker 4: Kind of regret it. It's kind of a scheme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can leave us a talkback message when you're listening on the app. All you have to do is hit that little microphone button that appears, and you'll leave.
Speaker 4: Us a message that comes into the into the studio here.
Speaker 2: We've talked many times about homeless encampments throughout southern California. We could highlight one a day and still not cover the thousands of different places that people have made their temporary permanent homes throughout southern California, but I've never heard of ones on a roof. For the last three years, a group or groups of homeless people have been living on the rooftop of a medical practice in the city of Huntington Park. The doctor who owns this to Honei Solomon doctor to Honey Solomon, says that this group has started fires, has damaged the roof, has taken apart, air conditioning units for parts, and she's had to repair and replace all of it to the tune of about one hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: Dollars so far. So what did she do well?
Speaker 2: She tried to install an iron fence, she tried to top the iron fence with razor wire, and tried to put a metal cage around an outdoor faucet. She says she has complained to the city and to the police department at the very least about the vandalism that has taken place, but that they have not been able to address any of the problems. She says that police instructed her to install cameras, and she said, I already have cameras and they said put them on the roof, and she said, are you kidding. The City of Huntington Park says it is going to reach out to doctor Soliman to address any of the concerns, and Huntington Park PD said it is committed to addressing public safety concerns and that it's working with stakeholders to investigate not only the problems at her building, but broader issues that exist throughout the neighborhood. Her doctor's office, her medical practice is in one of three is one of three I should say businesses that's within this little commercial property that sits right next to a two story parking structure, and she says that vandals, homeless people, whatever word you want to use, use that top floor of the structure to get onto the roof of her building. She manages the whole building and on a recent day, one of the TV crew's local TV cruisers out there, you could see that the razor wire was cut hanging from the black metal fence down to a trash container that was sitting next to a caged water faucet. There was a purple sweater that was on the branch of one of the do you say Jacaranda trees. Yes, how you say at jack Aranda, And then two doors down from hercus is a lab past the double glass doors. An employee says, we haven't been able to turn the air conditioning on. The air conditioning unit regularly goes out because people go up there and steal pieces of it. They literally scrap the units for parts. She also said that they have had spends of thousands of dollars to replace air conditioning units to make necessary repairs to the rooftop, and that they are stealing electricity as well. Some of the AC units they've been able to tap into the electricity for whatever purpose they have. She said that the source, like I said, is that two story parking structure next door, but that human excrement. You've got burn areas on the floors and stairways of the parking lot. On the top floor, you've got motorcycle tire marks from the burnouts. Metal bars of the iron fence had been bent apart, and people are still accessing this and the city hasn't done anything with for it.
Speaker 8: How many almost people you think you could fit on your.
Speaker 4: Roof on my roots kind of steep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it doesn't seem comfortable.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of where I would I would think that there would human there would be human excrement.
Speaker 2: It would probably roll off, wouldn't it. I mean it kind of depends on the quality.
Speaker 1: Is that I have a flat roof, so I get a lot of raccoons leaving raccoon excrement up there. I don't know what it is about pooping on a roof that's so dominance. Yeah, people and animals. I mean, I guess we're all animals, aren't we. But I've never thought about crapping on a roof of you ever occurred to you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 8: Ever see a nice roof and think yeah, and I feel one? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I don't think I have no.
Speaker 1: That just reminded me of that Bad Thoughts show. That episode is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole what do you mean that episode? They're all every.
Speaker 8: One of those toil one really sticks with you.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue, Tom, we'll talk about the path that you didn't take when we come back.
Speaker 4: Right. Oh, we got Michael Monks coming up.
Speaker 8: You're damn right, we do.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing about having Michael Monks on is when I ask him, can you stay another segment and he never wants to, But after the question is asked, you're kind of stuck.
Speaker 2: You can't say no unless he's literally gotten no. I'm sorry, I can't. I have a ten.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is is when Conway does this to every single person he has on his show, I don't see that kind of I don't see that kind of resistance. People are eager to stay, they are eager with us. Michael Monks couldn't get out of here quick enough.
Speaker 4: Gary Shannon will continue.
Speaker 8: I say we keep them the whole hour.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's true. I'm here to bring joy, excitement. You have our happiness love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your shirt from the Youth Pastor collection, I have many of those.
Speaker 4: I'm here to spread the word of the Lord.
Speaker 8: Apparently I do feel a little bit. Have you seen the eaglists today speaking of the Lord?
Speaker 5: Look, I don't want to yuck anyone's yum, but I'm probably the least interested in this ongoing saga up in Big Beer. I like the symbolism of America.
Speaker 4: Are you less?
Speaker 5: Are you not as interested? Like I appreciate it. It's exciting. And I saw the flapping yesterday. I thought that that's really sweet.
Speaker 4: And telt again with your hands. Wow that was homophobic, Gary, No, it was I was were a little loose there as I flapped.
Speaker 1: It was eagle phobic that we're eagleist and homoist.
Speaker 5: I think, so, what are they going to fly today? Are we going to break into programming?
Speaker 8: Ah, well, we haven't really started programming.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll get an interview with one of the eagles, the eagle parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, potentially, Well, Sandy's always around.
Speaker 5: I don't think I don't think that these I think that the eagle itself is a majestic looking animal. It's an attractive birds aren't cute animals. Yes, they're growing into it.
Speaker 8: They were first born.
Speaker 4: Come on, they were pink and gross.
Speaker 8: They were by they were very sweet.
Speaker 4: They weren't though they killed their siblings.
Speaker 8: Well, your men, so you are not wired to nurture.
Speaker 4: I'm a loving man. I'm a family guy. I have a cat.
Speaker 8: Okay, see exactly, you like hateful.
Speaker 5: Enemy of birds? You have a cat. Oh, I see where this is going. You might be on the side.
Speaker 8: So you and your family you kill birds?
Speaker 4: No, what you do.
Speaker 5: I tend to be afraid of most wildlife in general, and birds. They can see you from a vantage point that the rest of us don't have. A very weird I don't trust them.
Speaker 8: Why do you think you're afraid of wildlife.
Speaker 5: I'm from the city, and the wildlife in the city are particularly untrustworthy.
Speaker 8: Like in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been mugged by a possum?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: But okay, once you have been, you will understand where I'm coming from.
Speaker 8: They look like they're ready to do a mugging exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a possum living in my grill your mouth?
Speaker 4: Oh you mean the original I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to get my porch that I cook on or that.
Speaker 2: Is Porsche by the way, you have a grill on the porch? Oh, an actual porch?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh that you meant like grill on your car? No?
Speaker 1: No, why do you guys go to the sub definitions of grill. A grill is a meat heating instrument.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what are you doing grilling on your porch? What neighborhood do you live in?
Speaker 5: What do you have like a wife beater on and a Virginia slim hanging out of your mouth and a baby on your hip while you're scraping around some chicken wing hair.
Speaker 1: Not far off, not far off for the baby, everything else. Somebody gave me a baby.
Speaker 2: We have talked before about the the hike of the minimum wage for hotels.
Speaker 4: Porch. It's not white. I think grill on the porch suggested there.
Speaker 8: A grill in your house inside.
Speaker 4: Behind the house, oh backyard, back porch made? Was it the deck? Are you you go a deck? Right?
Speaker 8: Tell me about whatever the hell you're here to talk about.
Speaker 2: The city the mayor just signed into law this minimum Olympics they're calling it the Olympics minimum wage right where we've got hotel workers and airport workers that will be making up to thirty bucks minimum by the year twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: And now what appears to be the first truly organized attempt to put the kibosh on this, capitalism fights back against this minimum wage organical common sense.
Speaker 8: Really, I mean, thirty dollars.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 5: And now let's keep in mind that thirty dollars is not going to effect until twenty twenty eight, so there is some buffer time. But in the years between, they are increasing this wage incrementally, so it will be as of July about twenty two to fifty, So that's a bump, and then every year we'll go up another two fifty until it hits twenty eight, hits thirty dollars.
Speaker 1: I have a question, what is let's go back to square one. What is the thought process that because the Olympics are here, you get paid more to do your service job.
Speaker 5: Why? The argument from the supporters are we are the first faces these mini visitors are going to see when they arrive from all corners of the globe in twenty twenty eighty.
Speaker 8: Doing your job and getting your paycheck is not enough.
Speaker 5: They say that the cost of living in Los Angeles is high enough. You want us to be good workers.
Speaker 1: Live in Los Angeles and I didn't when I was working in the service industry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you wanted to find the neighborhood where you could cut up charcoal on the front porch and not commit a code violation?
Speaker 8: Do you cut up charcoal?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I'm the briquettes. They just say, the protating guying, right, Yeah, they just what.
Speaker 8: Are you talking about? Cut up chart? You don't even know what you're talking.
Speaker 4: About okay, I'm sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 5: This is why I don't stay for a second segment, because it starts on a high note and it always phases out quick.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Anyway, there's a pretty massive campaign to stop this because we already heard from hotels, We already heard from airport businesses that basically said, this will kill us, This will kill a lot of us.
Speaker 4: You heard from hotels, big.
Speaker 1: Hotels, twenty dollars an hour is kill. We've seen what that has been doing to small businesses. Thirty dollars an hour. Then those jobs aren't going to exist. And then where are you? If you're the first face people see, then you're without a job with that first fase.
Speaker 5: That's one of the arguments too, one of the arguments that came from the three council members that voted against this. There were three of those, the same ones who voted against the budget, which, by the way, we voted for today. The reason I want to incorporate the budget discussion into this is because and I don't like to editorialize as a reporter, so maybe i'll I'll lean on you guys. Is it hypocritical for a city to demand that this industry raise its workers paid to thirty dollars an hour when they themselves laid off. Not only laid off, but just this week voted to eliminate the promised raises to their own staff and their city council offices.
Speaker 1: The hypocrisy is what I always go back to that drives me crazy with politicians. And look no further than our backyard in La City Hall, the hipocra This alone is just case in point. Yeah, and it's not like the layoffs came four years ago or two years ago or last year. It's an active topic at city Hall is getting rid of a bunch of and at the same time they're doing this to businesses.
Speaker 8: It's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Well, they're going to have a pretty formidable foe in this campaign to stop this wage increase because the group of airport businesses and hotels, they've got some big name PR firms and some big businesses like Airlines, Delta United. These folks are funding a campaign to get this on the ballast. So but to do that, ninety three thousand signatures are needed within thirty days of filing their petition. Okay, now, but to that end, I mean your point is well, taken that there's some big money behind ending this before it becomes reality. The unions that represent these workers that will be getting the thirty dollars rais ostensibly they also have pantloads of money that they can throw at this, and they look to have more based on how much their employees are making. So it's good for the unions to make more money. So we could see if this manages to collect the signatures and get on the ballot. And what's just been generically referred to in the reporting from the Times as an upcoming election. I don't think there are any elections this year. Next year there are elections, so it might happen. Then does that mean a judge might pause things until this happens.
Speaker 4: I don't know how that works. We've got to find this stuff out.
Speaker 5: But if this becomes a campaign issue, what a campaign that will be powerful unions, influential unions, and a very significant business lobby that's not messing.
Speaker 8: Around what happened with the possum.
Speaker 5: I just I don't think I want to revisit that it was the nineties. It was the nineties, Kentucky Urban Tuffington.
Speaker 8: Did he attack you?
Speaker 5: It his stap me far. It was close. It was close. Now not on any you know, interest from me. I don't want to touch a possum. I don't want to touch a person. But you know, you get hissed at by a possum, and that's not something you forget. Yeah, and it changes your approach to urban wildlife in general.
Speaker 8: Did you see its little teeth?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 4: You're having a hard time with this. It sounds like not good. I've also been chased by a bear. Listen who hasn't.
Speaker 8: Seriously?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Saturday night in silver Lake?
Speaker 8: Ah, you were married.
Speaker 4: I am, And I've never been to Silver Lake.
Speaker 8: You've never been to Silver Lake.
Speaker 4: I drive through it every day on my way here from downtown.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was watching that Anne Hathaway where she hooks up with the young rock Star movie and they show this who what they showed this romanticized overhead shot of silver Lake like it's freaking Lake Tahoe.
Speaker 5: This is what I tell a lot of people, even though we like to, you know, talk about how disgusting Los Angeles is at street level, Man, if you keep your eyes up, it's kind of beautiful. The building's even downtown, It's a beautiful environment. It's it's but you have to watch where you're walking so that you don't slip in human feces.
Speaker 4: Your elevation has to be above ten. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, if you had some sort of shoe that lifted you up from the second story up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a gorgeous city, you know.
Speaker 5: If you're in Pershing Square with a builtmore hotel behind it, and you know the trees and the skyscrapers like that is a great shot.
Speaker 1: I was thinking of you last night. I had ice cream for dinner.
Speaker 4: Okay, are you calling me a fatty? Whoa?
Speaker 1: No, it's listen, it's I think we opened a box with the possum and let's just go ahead and.
Speaker 8: Shut that thing back up. No.
Speaker 1: I was having ice cream at a new ice cream place, well new to me, and I was thinking, this is good ice cream, but it is nowhere near compared to how good Michael Monks's ice cream.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so sweet, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My mama was in town this week, right, and you know we've been telling her we've been.
Speaker 4: Making ice cream.
Speaker 5: We think we might, you know, for sue this at some point, and she got the taste it just a couple of nights ago, and they were really blown away by what the spouse has come concocted.
Speaker 8: Really good, really good. I'm glad appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I'll bring some out to whatever ghetto you live in. I guess while you're grilling.
Speaker 1: Do I live in a ghetto or white truck like? You're gonna have to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah I don't know. Okay, Yeah, well them over and let him determine for.
Speaker 8: I love to have.
Speaker 4: We're gonna hang.
Speaker 5: We already have a date schedule in the fall when the doun Nabby movie comes out. Yeah, I'm gonna have you and Deborah over to my place. We're gonna tea sandwiches and tea.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to make either of those things.
Speaker 8: Make cucumber sandwiches, Oh, it's gonna be great. What are you gonna have vegan cucumber sandwiches? Oh? Okay, but just don't put any manonnaise on there, please, I will not.
Speaker 4: It's too soon for the orders, Deborah.
Speaker 1: We could do like a guard bond. So yeah, yeah, yeah, the cucumber.
Speaker 4: Couch down on a strong Ham sandwich. Yeah, I'm waiting for some.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks keeps promising me that he's going to try doing v and ice cream.
Speaker 4: But that's two years, so that's a lot of R and D.
Speaker 8: What does R and D mean? Research something in diarrhea.
Speaker 4: Regurgitation and diarrhea. It's really not difficult. You just there's so many milk alternatives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know how one milk's an almond, but I guess I could try to find its heats.
Speaker 4: You bring up a good question, Gary and Shannon will.
Speaker 8: Come Where does the milk come for?
Speaker 4: Not a good question.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court has again cleared the way for the Trump administration to take away some temporary legal protections from hundreds of thousands of immigrants for now. This will push the total number of people who could be newly exposed to deportation up to a million. The justices today lifted a lower court order that kept the humanitarian parole protections in place for more than a half a million migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela. The Court has also allowed the administration to revoke temporary legal status from about thirty one hundred and fifty thousand Venezuelan migrants. In just another case, a President Trump and Elon Musk are expected to hold a news conference from the White House very soon. We know that Elon Musk's time as that special government employee has ended, and President Trump referred to this as sort of a goodbye send off, even though he's not going anywhere, I think is the way he put it. So we'll see what happens when they start that news conference a little bit later, and we'll talk about it when we get into swamp Watch later as well. This morning we were asking this magical question. We talked yesterday a little bit about what magical questions are. This woman who is a conflict resolution facilitator, somebody who steps in I guess when there's an argument, I don't know, And she talked about the importance of cutting through small talk when you're dealing with whatever social situation you might find yourself a work party, strangers.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about this conflict resolution I forget what you just said, facilitator. Conflict facilitator, because this is a job that's highlighted. Excuse me, I'm eating nuts because we got out almonds so that Michael could kill one of them. Yeah, and then I just got into them. But this is a job that's showcased in hacks. Oh oh, you're right, you mention right. There's a conflict, ongoing conflict between Deborah Vance, the character in the show who's a professional comedian, and her head writer, and they get into it because they have personal relationship and they just they bicker a lot, and so it gets to a point where it's too much. So the company that runs the late night comedy show that they do brings in this conflict person who has to be in the room whenever the two of them they cannot be alone together. This conflict resolution person has to be there. And I remember watching the show and thinking is that a real thing? And then you bring up this conflict person and I'm wondering, is this a thing that goes on where two people who work in the same place have such conflicts that there's a buffer brought a professional buffer that's brought in who has to facilitate some sort of resolution between the two. I mean, where did the whole just be an adult and squash your conflict or don't deal with that person.
Speaker 8: Or don't deal with that person. But I guess if you have to.
Speaker 2: Didn't deal with the but be an adult and get over whatever personal thing, have.
Speaker 8: It out or whatever, and then carry on.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway, She talked about a series of different magical questions that you could use to try to cut through a lot of the bs that you would have normally with individuals. And one of the questions that you actually perked up on was what path didn't you choose? I loved Was there some other path that you may have had for your life? And there was a moment you referred to it as the sliding doors. Yeah, you just you took one what at the time might even have seemed like a small decision but vastly changed the trajectory of your life, right.
Speaker 8: Like in my own life.
Speaker 1: I think it was the time when I'm working in Seattle and I get the job offer from Chris Little to come to KFI, and I remember talking to my mom on the phone and saying, should I move to LA Should I get Like that's a that's a.
Speaker 8: Life changing thing. Twenty four years old.
Speaker 1: It's going to change the whole trajectory of your life when you make a move like that, And it did. What would have happened if I didn't you know what I mean? And I remember her saying to me, I can't make that decision for you.
Speaker 2: That's a very wise thing to have said, right, although it probably didn't make you feel any better.
Speaker 7: It did not.
Speaker 4: Awe inspiring.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 10: I'm twenty nine now, but when I was younger.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do dental hygiene.
Speaker 10: But I dropped it like it was hot because I didn't want to be a pigeon hole in one one spot for the rest of my life. So I dropped out of school, traveled Europe twice, got into a one and a half year relationship with so many Netherlands, broke that off, came back here, and then I went to school for business and I work at a major defense contractor.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it happened, but it did.
Speaker 1: Do you get into people's mouths like, are you in a meeting doing defense contracting and you're looking like that looks like it's a beginning of a cabinet I could get after I got to clean that tooth, I could get that iron hook in there and pull.
Speaker 4: Out Happy Friday, you too, you too? Paths, Wow, career paths.
Speaker 7: I was going to be an attorney, but I'm an engineer, not a problem there. But personal life paths are a much different thing. I married a sweetheart from high school, was married for three decades, and then I found.
Speaker 4: The rest of life.
Speaker 7: So I took a different path and got divorced, and I'm happy in a new relationship.
Speaker 4: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 1: There's a book I just finished, and it's called Names.
Speaker 8: You've probably heard of it.
Speaker 1: It's in all the book clubs, know, like the Rees and the Jenna, and I don't remember who else has the book? What book club? This is in Good Morning America, what have you? But it's very in right now. It's called The Names, and it is about a woman in an abusive relationship and she has one daughter and she gives birth to a son, and she is conflicted on what to name the son, if she should name him after the husband like the family dictates, or if she should name him something her daughter wants or something that she's interested in. And the book follows the kid's life if he was named each of the three things, and how he turns out, and the difference is in his life depending on the different name. And it's fast if you're into the sliding doors type of thought, fun processes. It is a great book, and it's a quick read for you as well.
Speaker 4: All Right, more of these when we come back.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from K six forty.
Speaker 2: We are awaiting a news conference from the White House. Elon Musk and President Trump shaking hands and wishing each other a good day. The Elon Musk special government employee contract has run out. It's not that he's decided to leave. It's that this was the plan all along. But they are going to talk about some stuff. It's interesting because of the context of this New York Times article that came out, this big, breathless piece about Elon Musk using drugs and potentially using drugs while on the campaign trail. At least that's the allegation of some of the sources in that story.
Speaker 1: Got an update from former President Biden about how he is feeling.
Speaker 8: Also, did you see the bid about Suge.
Speaker 1: Knight giving Ditty legal advice on how to appear in court?
Speaker 8: It's pretty rich.
Speaker 4: Was he the one? I think?
Speaker 2: Sug Knight said he believes that President Trump would pardon Ditty if he's convicted.
Speaker 8: You might.
Speaker 2: The the movie business is trying to hold on. We'll actually talk about entertainment coming up at twelve twenty with our Heather Brooker. But Broadways season has set records this year. Broadways twenty four to twenty five season grossed one point eight nine billion dollars across all their productions.
Speaker 1: Is that because they had a bunch of a list celebrities get involved like George Clooney and I think so among others.
Speaker 2: There were several that Glengary Glenn Ross U production had everybody in it. They said that the gross totals are up twenty three percent from last weekend I'm sorry, last season, and significantly well above the record from twenty eighteen and nineteen at one point eight three billion hour at almost one point nine billion.
Speaker 4: So good news.
Speaker 2: I guess if you're a big Broadway person, never seen a show on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Really, never been to New York too? You love adult theater? Never been to New York, Well you can go to You've been the Pantagious, Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I've seen it off. I've seen Broadway shows off.
Speaker 8: Broadway, sometimes even more. But sometimes my mom likes.
Speaker 1: To do this, or she'll catch the shows before they get to Broadway, you kind of they make the circuit up in San Francisco, and she'll see something and be like, I think this is going to be a bit like Wicked. She saw Wicked before it was on Broadway, and she's like, I think this is going to be a big deal. And she's usually very right when she watches these ones that go on to be great.
Speaker 2: Blocked for Busters, we were talking about magical questions and specifically about paths maybe that your life took that you didn't plan, or you thought you were going to go one way and you end up going completely the other.
Speaker 11: EGERI and Shannon path that I almost took but didn't. I could have definitely been the next Pablo Escobar and decided to have my daughter on my twenty first birthday, so took.
Speaker 9: A different path, trying to be a better dad.
Speaker 11: All right, guys, A good day.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming he was selling recreational drugs pharmaceuticals if you will, and got out of that once once he had a kid.
Speaker 1: Kids will be a shock to the system, shock to the lifestyle.
Speaker 4: They will add weight to your keel. What is a keel the bottom part of your boat, just to keep you.
Speaker 8: Up right, don't say it. Say it?
Speaker 4: What about your keel?
Speaker 3: Hey, Gary Shannon. Yeah, I was in community college shows in this law enforcement program and we did a lot with the police department, and I remember a police officer pulled me aside and said, why do you want to do this? And I think it was his way of telling me, look, guy, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think you'd be a good cop.
Speaker 3: So didn't go that direction and still have a good career.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, And I actually think that's an important point is somebody who's done the job for a year whatever. It doesn't have to be police officer, law enforcement, but somebody who's done a job for a long time can size up people who want to do the job and just go, you're not going to be a great fit.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying I think we've got but.
Speaker 8: You were told that you wouldn't be a great fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also had no respect for the person who told me that at the time.
Speaker 8: Will leave that to be true.
Speaker 1: It's one I think there's something to be said for somebody telling you no or you can't. That is a great motivator. I mean, I think it is maybe the strongest motivator you can get as.
Speaker 4: Fround outside of fear.
Speaker 8: Nope, not you.
Speaker 1: Fear is a better motivator. Really, Yeah, interesting, I think.
Speaker 2: It's some people I fear would be a better motivator. I mean fear of losing my job.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, well that's a different thing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, hy garion Shannon boy.
Speaker 8: Did I make the right decision?
Speaker 12: When I was sixteen? Back nineteen eighty one, I fell in love with a member of my church. He went off on his mission, but before that we became engaged.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sixteen.
Speaker 12: Anyway, while he was gone, I fell in love with someone else ended up being my husband, and for two years later we're still married.
Speaker 8: Did I make the right decision?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 12: I love you guys, love your show.
Speaker 8: Thank you, love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh, that is something, but yeah, how do you choose? And most people that choose their their their life partner, and you do what in your twenties thirty something like that, and it's wild. Did you make that choice that long ago or what have you? And then to be sixteen and make that choice.
Speaker 4: My sister married her the guy that she was going out with in high school.
Speaker 8: Yeah, which one Marjorie, Oh wow?
Speaker 2: And they it was the end of high school. And it's not like they were sophomores together. I mean they were all kind of in the same group of friends and stuff, but they didn't really start dating until the end of high school.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, I don't well it makes sense.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if they went to prom together their senior year, like it was that late in the year that they.
Speaker 1: It's just you know what, you know, you're from the same place. Yeah, yeah, it's easier.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't meet my wife until I was twenty to twenty three. I mean we never met her before. I mean that was no, that's still very young, that is pretty young.
Speaker 6: Fifteen years ago, I was working for one of the biggest a holes you can ever meet in your life. And if he wasn't such an a hole, I wouldn't have been motivated to start my own business. And I've never looked back.
Speaker 8: I think that's I think that's what that's what I've been with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. But but he talks about he called him an a hole. I didn't call my boss an a hole, but he did never.
Speaker 4: Respect for him.
Speaker 1: I think you thought he was an a hole, but you had respect for him. He was good at what he did, maybe reluctantly. I might give you a little bit of that, but yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: Swamp watch.
Speaker 2: It looks like the President beginning the news conference by playing a video on a mac book.
Speaker 4: So this, if I'm.
Speaker 2: Mistake funny guys, this is a video that he already posted on truth social this morning. Somebody ONNBC this morning was saying that the economy, despite all of the headlines about the turmoil with the tariffs, that the economy and the underlying numbers are very very strong.
Speaker 1: You're doing well if you've got money on Wall Street.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's playing that video and basking in the adulation from taking a victory.
Speaker 1: Lap over the Fox News business reform.
Speaker 4: But this is like something I would do to my wife, where I go, oh, look at this video, look at this, look at this.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll talk about that when we come back. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab