Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k i AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Gary and Shannon k i AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And Phil Schuman back with me from Burning eleven. Good morning. We will obviously get into all of the debate prep and what's going on. It's said to be more pivotal than we even thought before because all of the polls find that thirty percent of registered voters say the debate will help them decide who to vote for. Thirty percent. That is a whopper, that is a huge number. But first we want to get into the fires that are burning. I just caught the one in Tribuco Canyon as I was getting ready to watch the game, and wow, those pictures were incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exploded like ten thousand acres almost, and a lot of people have evacuated, very very very nervous time out there. And then the line flying bigger right said, burning up more into the mountains.
Speaker 3: He said that we see this all the time.
Speaker 1: I mean, you and I've covered numerous fires, but that this one is one of those ones that's creating its own weather systems, the thunderstorms of fire. I'm watching this show right now called Fire Country. It's on CBS. I'm sorry, Fox, that's okay, but it's one of those really kitchy soap opera like shows, and it's a love letter to CalFire. Essentially, it's all about CalFire and the Inmate cruise and they.
Speaker 3: Use CGI like nobody's business.
Speaker 1: It all looks so phony, but it creates the most incredible fire. What's supposed to be the most incredible fire of that?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of drama out there in real life. I don't even need to create it. How about the cause though, of the airport fire right in Tribuco Canyon. They said that it was public works cruise using that we're using heavy equipment to move boulders to prevent access to vegetation and there.
Speaker 3: Was a spark that caused the fire.
Speaker 2: That's a I can't believe that they would be so careless.
Speaker 1: You made a great point just off the air now that that's what they tell us what not to do, like the very authorities who say don't use heavy equipment when you have temperatures and dry conditions like this. The authorities took their own heavy equipment out there and used it and caused this thing.
Speaker 3: All right, well that's not good.
Speaker 1: And then we've got the fire in the San Gabriel Canyon that's the one that I woke up smelling this morning, that's near Azuza, that quickly spread three thousand acres since it started on Sunday. So this is why when we talked to Blake Trolley from KFI News yesterday, this is why he said he saw firefighters out there from New Jersey at the fire at in San Bernardino along the edge of the forest there because they knew here that our firefighters are the best. They're the most experienced, and they're the best at what they do in La County in California, and they knew what they took, the temperature, so to speak, of the conditions, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've done this for so many years. They pre deploy recent sources, they have people in to back up. So yeah, it's a very well organized operation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The problem is, you know, it starts to get spread a little thin when we have multiple fires in the same areas, right exactly, there's not an unlimited number of people that can get out there.
Speaker 1: Which is why they just call everybody and say send whoever you can to California, because it's.
Speaker 3: Better to overdo it first and then back off exactly.
Speaker 1: So we'll stay on top of those again, A fire and Tribuco Canyon, San Gabriel Canyon, and San Bernardino. But the big news today is the first and probably only presidential debate takes place between Harris and Trump tonight and Philadelphia six pm our time. And like I said that new NPR PBS News Marris poll says thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Do you believe that number? No, doesn't that I'm often high. I can't believe.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I don't believe any polling ever since what happened in twenty sixteen when we were all screwed, well, we're all lied to.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would say I don't believe any polling, I would just be skeptical about it.
Speaker 3: More details.
Speaker 1: That's a better way of saying it. Yeah, skeptical. But yeah, that is a massive number. But you know what, it also highlights something that I firmly believe that most of us are somewhere in the middle, that we hear from the far left progressives a lot because they're the loudest voices in the room. We hear from the far right Trump supporters because they're the loudest voices in the room. But the people that aren't as loud and boisterous and online and trolling people on Twitter or x are somewhere in the middle and they want to voters.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you don't think most people have made up their mind by now on these two.
Speaker 3: That's not what this poll is I suggest. Well, we're gonna have to get into that later on in the morning.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk to Mindy Romero, who's a usc political sociologist, which will be a good topic to discuss with her.
Speaker 1: The poll also found seventy percent of Americans plan to watch the debate. Another twenty three percent said they'll closely monitor news about the debate. So that's probably the social media people that just get their news highlights. Yeah, the highlights exactly what.
Speaker 2: I've I've been reading so much about this, and it seems clear that Harris has more to gain or lose than Trump.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that? I don't know. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've heard that, I've heard people talk about that this morning, and I think they both have I think they both have enough equal amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we should ask for a comment on the iHeartRadio app, the talk back feature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't guarantee will play them. I mean some of they're good. Some of them got through yesterday that I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have, but no, they were good. I like to hear from people, you know what they're what they're thinking. I mean, are they going to watch? What are they going to be looking for? Because you know, we read the New York Times, the LA Times, the Washington Post, Drudge Report, TikTok, insta face, you know, go through your whole list of news sources and all the experts. What Trump has to do, what Harris has to do. You know, Trump has to be himself. Harris has to be herself. Harris has to define herself. Trump has to control himself.
Speaker 1: You know what opinions are like, and I've done rating people's opinions. It's kind of like all the hype going into the NFL season, where you've got everyone's opinion of what every team is going to do and who needs to do what and what needs to happen, and it lets us play the game. Let's just play a freaking game.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that we can compare the stakes of the presidential debate with the NFL season.
Speaker 1: No, And I wasn't inscuating that I wanted to go live to Orange County where one of these fires is burning. Chris Adler from KFI News is there with the latest. Chris, how's it going?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, good morning. So I was just standing with the chief, one of the chiefs at OC Fire Authority at State in eighteen right at the base of this fire, and he has confirmed that it has burned more than nine thousand acres now with no containment, it is spreading. Mandatory evacuations are still in place for the Robinson Ranch area, the Tribuco Highlands, Tribuco Highland Apartment Complex. There are some voluntary evacuations for other areas and people are staying in their homes. Some areas that were mandated to be evacuated. We saw last night those people said they were going to stay in their homes. We have seen volunteers pulling up to pull horses out, Lots of trailers moving horses, goats, other livestock. There's a lot of equestrian centers up here, a lot of ranches, so a lot of animals that they've been moving down the hill trying to get them out. The area is blocked off from the public, but they have caught They have all hands on deck, more than one thousand firefighters. They've even called in the Super Scooper planes that Steve Gregory covered this week. They can drop in a single drop more than sixteen hundred gallons in a matter of seconds, so they use that a couple of times. They've been dropping retardant. They've been using their OC Firehawk that can drop a thousand gallons in a single drop. They have had crews in the air on the ground trying to battle this fire. It is massive plumes of smoke filling the air. The quality has gotten or the air quality has definitely gotten worse. My eyes are burning here at this fire station, it's fire Station eighteen. My eyes are burning. I had to bring backup contact lenses and my glasses because it's not tolerable.
Speaker 1: Wet towels help with that too, from what I remember, Like if you go to a if you can do a bathroom whatever, they've got paper towels, you wet them, you put them on your eyes helps sometimes have you talked to people there?
Speaker 3: I mean, this is an.
Speaker 1: Area that burns pretty regularly. They're used to this. Or are people getting out or they just riding this through?
Speaker 4: Some are some are taking precaution, they're getting some with animals and young children. We're seeing those people leave. Others I spoke with last night in the Robinson Ranch neighborhood. They were all standing outside in their neighborhood, all the neighbors together, lined up in the street, just looking up at the canyon, just burning those orange glows lighting up the sky. And I asked them, I said, are you guys going to leave? They say, well, we're right now. We're under an evacuation warning. They say we're going to stay. And so I asked them, I said, well what if it becomes mandated, which it is, it is mandated in Robinson Ranch now. They said some of them said they would go, some said they wouldn't go. So, like you said, Shannon, they see these fires quite often this time of year, these brush fires in the canyon when it's dry.
Speaker 3: They say.
Speaker 4: Some of them say that they're not worried, some some some have left.
Speaker 2: It's Phil Schuman, what's happening with the wind. I guess that's a concern for later today, right it is.
Speaker 4: They're worried about the winds picking up Right now. I can tell you it's pretty it's pretty uh subdued. There's not much wind right now. That is one of the concerns is the winds picking up with this dry brush. And that's the concern, you guys. It's how dry it is out here. I was speaking with the firefighters and they said, you know, we got some rain. We got a little bit of rain, but it's not enough. This brush out here is extremely dry, crispy almost, and so it's burning and that's why it's spreading. And it spread so quickly. This fire was started by public works crews who were trying to actually prevent a fire by moving these boulders blocking access ways to the public who do go up into the canyon.
Speaker 3: They were trying to.
Speaker 4: Prevent fires by keeping people out, and in doing so, they started a fire themselves. And this is the this is the outcome, which is which is kind of ironic, but because it was so dry, it spread quickly and there were four people in the canyon at that time, including a three year old who had to be airlifted because it got they got surrounded so quickly they were able to call nine one one and they got the airlift out out away from the fire. Nobody was injured, but it's how quickly it moves because of how dry it is.
Speaker 2: Be safe out there. We're going to monitate a situation. We will hopefully.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys updated and they get a handle on this. Great job, Chris appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: SpaceX celebrating a historic launch from Florida's space coast overnight. This is a civilian astronaut trip, five day journey. They say it's going to be the first ever commercial spacewalk, So civilians on a spacewalk.
Speaker 3: That'd be interesting. Would you ever do that? No? Oh, I would do that in a second.
Speaker 1: I mean I have the desire to leave the planet like the astronauts that are trapped up there.
Speaker 3: I know there till what do they say February?
Speaker 1: Yes, what are they going to be doing in the underwear situation?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what you would think of, because they.
Speaker 1: Were supposed to be gone for eight days and it's going to be like eight months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure that's their number one concern.
Speaker 1: And then this story out of your neck of the woods, search underway for a yellow ball python that's on the loose in Massachusetts. It escaped from its home on Cape Cod. Oh no, it's two feet long.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, hopefully they'll find it.
Speaker 1: Is that your phone? He's kind of sounded like a rattlesnake. And what did sound like a rattlesnake? Yeah, I'm just making sure that wasn't my own psychosomatic headspace that we're talking about it.
Speaker 3: What does say what town in Cape Cod that was I lost? We'll come back to that. Yeah, all right, but they're they're kept his pets. Yeah, why do people have those kind of pets?
Speaker 2: There was what was the story about the NFL player the other day that has an alligator's pet, alligator that he loves more than anything in the world.
Speaker 3: He would die for the alligator. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Petros has iguana that he takes really plays with, wow, which looks kind of like a baby alligator. Yeah yeah, why doesn't that surprise me? It shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Petros is a really funny guy. Okay.
Speaker 1: So in Kentucky, this manhunt continues terrifying. This guy is named Joseph Couch, that's who they're looking for. And he spent twenty nine hundred dollars to buy an AR style AR fifteen style semi automatic rifle and a thousand rounds of ammunition. The same day that he sent a bunch of alarming text messages and then went to a local interstate.
Speaker 2: And opened fire again social media the internet the downside.
Speaker 3: He said, I'm going to kill a lot of people.
Speaker 1: We'll try at least, according to one message, that the police were able to get search warrants.
Speaker 3: To find and then some good news.
Speaker 1: In another message, he said, I'll kill myself afterwards.
Speaker 3: Why not kill yourself before? Right? Is always my question? Why do you have to announce it what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: He perched off a cliff on Saturday, shortly after sending those messages, overlooking I seventy five shot at passing drivers. He seriously wounded five people, hit at least a dozen vehicles before taking off. Every crop of years, there's one story about somebody who just opens fire on a freeway. And it's something that happens rather infrequently, but it happens enough to where it's a thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just another example of guns and gun violence. I mean, I was just doing some quick research on when we were before we were talking about this story.
Speaker 3: In According to that every Town.
Speaker 2: Center for Research on Gun Violence, one hundred and twenty people are killed by guns in the United States every day, which is a mind boggling number, you know. And there's in Kentucky where this happened, there's no waiting period, so you're able to go into a store and walk out with a handgun, with a rifle and AR fifteen semi automatic style rifle. There's no background check, there's no waiting period, unlike California. So I wonder if they're going to get into this and tonight's debate, you know, the gun control issue. Harris supports a buyback program some people are describing as a mandatory gun buyback program.
Speaker 1: There's the office he's too saturated with weapons for that to work.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a start, it's a thought.
Speaker 1: They say that the schools have been canceled again, and the classes have been canceled at the schools in the in the area for two days now in a row. They said that it's difficult terrain that's complicated their efforts to find this guy and who knows he may have already offered himself.
Speaker 2: May we're in a field, I mean a difficult terrain, And then they're saying, well, he may run out of food and water, like this is this is the best they can come up with, right, it's not a rack?
Speaker 1: I mean well, and also you believe were seven eleven they say it's like a jungle. It's not something you can just take your dog through, an actual walkthrough. I guess, But I mean, who cares if he if he runs out of food and water. I mean, he's shot a bunch of people. I don't think that's going to be the thing that makes him turn himself over. He served in the Army Reserve from twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen twenty nineteen as a combat engineer, had no deployments.
Speaker 3: He left the service as a private.
Speaker 1: He does have a record vandalizing city buildings with graffiti. Colliding with another car after drinking. That's an interesting charge, isn't it. Colliding with another car after drinking.
Speaker 3: That would be called drunk driving.
Speaker 1: It would be called a dui with maybe possible GBI depending on the outcome of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a twenty five thousand dollars reward for information leading it was arrest. The Kentucky State Police funded that as well as an anonymous donor. The United Way of Laurel County, Kentucky announced on Facebook they're contributing ten thousand dollars, So everybody's looking for this guy. They found his rifle though, in the car right, and the ammunition, so hopefully he's not going to be able to shoot anybody else.
Speaker 1: He was arrested most recently in February a guy confronted him for throwing a rock at his dog. So this guy goes inside his home, comes back out with a semi semi automatic rifle and threatens to kill the man and his dog. Charged with heroistic threatening in the third degree. Hey, these people rarely is this the first time that they've raised their hand and said I'm a really bad person. Rarely is it the first time that the red flag has flown? And in this case, this guy has been crazy and acted out before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yet there's right he can go into a store and walk out with a semi automatic rifle and a thousand rounds of ammunition. So I don't think we're going to resolve that issue on this morning program.
Speaker 3: But we're not going to We're raising important questions.
Speaker 1: We don't resolve a lot of issues here, Phil, we should I thought you said you were action oriented. You know, go to John and Ken for that or John Well. Dramatic bodycam footage has been released now of the moment dolphin's Star wide receiver Tyreek Hill, possibly the best Miami Dolphin, was detained by cops and pinned to the ground near hard Rock Stadium.
Speaker 3: We have some of the odd video here that we can play for how this went down. Don't knock on my window? Yeah, don't knock? Why do you have your seat belong?
Speaker 2: Don't knock on my wonder?
Speaker 3: Why don't you have your seat belong?
Speaker 2: My wand to like that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Like what non't knocking my moder?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Why do you have it up?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I'm knocking my window light?
Speaker 1: Now? Why you have it up?
Speaker 3: I have not to let you know I'm here. Don't We can lower it and talk to me in my ticket bro, so I can go. I'm gonna play.
Speaker 2: You know what you gotta do?
Speaker 3: Keep it down, Hey, keep your window down, so he broke the window up. Keep your window down, thinking.
Speaker 2: Keep your window down, I'm I said.
Speaker 3: Motterf I get out of the car.
Speaker 2: Yes, get out of the puck yeah, break up, get out of the car.
Speaker 3: Hoping to get out, get out of the car right now. We're not playing this game. Get out, up, get out, get yeah out? What part of product?
Speaker 1: So he gets him down onto the round stomach down. Tyreek Hill is in a white tank top and he's got his hands behind his back. The officer does Now, as you can hear, I hope you could hear, he has his window rolled up. As the officer approaches, the officer knocks on the window.
Speaker 3: Again. It's a McLaren.
Speaker 1: It's a very expensive vehicle, and the knock was a forceful knock. But when an officer pulls you over, usually you roll down your window to talk to him. Right, Well, the window is up, so he knocks on the window. Tyreek rolls it down partially and that's when the officer says, why don't you have your seat belt on? To which I wonder, what the hell is that? What does that mean? Why why you're pulling over him? Over for a seat belt violation? Apparently he was. He was driving dangerous.
Speaker 3: They called it reckless driving. Reckless driving, and.
Speaker 2: But remember the tinted window is obviously an officer's safety issue. Sure, that's the problem he and he claims that he understands what to do when he's pulled over by police, So we should have rolled the window down and left it down.
Speaker 1: The problem with a tinted window is the officers can't see what you've got inside, right, You could be armed, could have drugs or what have you. And so that's why they want the window down, especially when it's tinted.
Speaker 3: But then it escalates and it doesn't need to escalate. That's my problem with it.
Speaker 2: I mean, look from covering stories like this over the years, right, the number one job of a police officer at the end of the day is to go home. We get that, but they're also trained to de escalate situations that it seemed to me and I wasn't.
Speaker 3: There, and I'm not a cop, and I've never pulled anybody over.
Speaker 2: But it went from as Tyreek put it, and went from zero to sixty awfully fast. He wasn't cooperating. You heard that back and forth there. Basically, you're supposed to do what the police tell you to do and then things go smoother.
Speaker 1: My other issue with the video is a couple of other players pull over and are just kind of watching from afar what's going on with their friend, their teammate, and the officer.
Speaker 3: The other officer goes over to.
Speaker 1: Them and starts mfing them for no reason. I mean, they're just looking on and they're like license, give them me your license, and they're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: They're just standing on the side of the road. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of them was Kalay Campbell, who's I think six ' nine about three fifty and he was put in a handcuffs also. And so look, again, we're not cops, we're not trained. We don't understand that their policies and procedures. Maybe from their perspective, but in reading some of the analysis from other cops who did look at this video, they said they actually followed policy and procedure and protocol in terms of handcuffing them for quote officers safety, which seems extreme to us, but we're not in their shoes. But definitely they to my perspective, they escalated it much quicker than it needed to be.
Speaker 1: Well, that one cop sounds like he's got a problem with Tyreek Hill or something. I mean, he just he does not need to talk to him like that. It got a little bit, a little bit too contentious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and then it was over within a couple of minutes. Right, they were cited and released. So it's a fact that everybody has a cell phone now that we was able to capture this, that we even know about the details like this.
Speaker 1: It is important to note an officer was placed on administrative duties right away pending an internal investigation. And I'm certain it was the officer who does seem to escalate the whole situation. He said, I don't want to bring race into it, but sometimes it gets kind of iffy when you do. He said, after the game, what if I wasn't Tyreek kill? Lord knows what that guy or guys would have done.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, I mean.
Speaker 2: But then Tyreek also said the dude was beating on my window like he crazy, which is also a bit of an exaggeration. Right, It wasn't beating on the window like he's crazy. Is knocking on the window to get him to turn to roll it down, which he should have done.
Speaker 3: He should have done that, but it did not need to get that here.
Speaker 2: Here's the bottom line to me. The quote from the police officer. When we tell you to do something, you do it. You understand, not what you want what we tell you. You're a little blanking confused. So that's sort of the attitude that some people object to.
Speaker 1: All Right, coming up next, Steve Gregory will join us. He is going to break some news that could have a massive impact on local firefighting. And wow, wow, the fact that this news is breaking right now when we're battling three different flanks of fires here, when you look at Tribuco Canyon and San Gabriel Canyon and San Bernidin San Bernardino Forest as well. So Steve will hit us up with that when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.