Speaker 1: Live.
Speaker 2: The Shawn Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 1: NFL insider Aaron Wilson to talk Texans Titans. You can find him on Twitter at Aaron Wilson Underscore NFL. Also doing great work for KPRC channel through Sports and also you can find his work on our website Sports seven ninety dot com.
Speaker 2: Aaron, Welcome in Happy New Year. Brother. Have you traveled to Nashville yet?
Speaker 3: No, that would be really really early to go to Nashville. Yeah, no, I'm not there yet. I'll be there though.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Man, it's new year, New me. I thought maybe you want to go hit Broadway. I don't know. I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: You know, that sounds fun. But I'm just stee here as long as I can until it's time to go to the game, and then go to the game to get on hold all.
Speaker 2: Right, and talking about that game? How long? How much do you think these starters are going to play for the Texans?
Speaker 3: Ringing the team lines with things I've been hearing. He's gonna play it by year, but he's got some thing of a plan where, let's say there's a lead, he could get guys out of there. I think it's gonna be a field thing, not something that's written and snown how's the game going, and then he'll sub some guys. I think a lot of it will have to do with not just health, but like getting some guys in a flow, so you know, he'd like to sej to throw some passes, the Deontay Johnson things like that. You know, I don't think it's that important for say like an Eagle Collins vigil mixing. But there's many selective cases you could make for why. But talking to players, they say they like his plan. They think they need this, that they need to play better heading into the postseason. And I agree with that. I think, you know, obviously the best play plans. You hope it. I think it was awry, but you know, the worst case scenario is you get more banged up, remove somebody dangery. But I mean he can't in case these guys in glass and then say okay, we're just gonna have everybody wait till the playoffs. I mean, play the football game. I don't think the Titans are really going all out and there's about alternating quarterbacks, no other game that should be to win. But the game doesn't mean anything. I mean it looks better to have ten wins. I mean, what's the difference. The biggest thing is just getting in a better groove for the playoff game. And so we'll see. Doesn't look like the Browns are going all out. They're putting Bailey Zappi out there, so we'll see. I mean, it's looking like he'll probably be the Steelers. We may shape up again.
Speaker 4: Aaron Wilson join us for his weekly visit here on the Sean Salisbury Show. You can find him on Twitter at Aaron Wilson Underscore NFL. You mentioned it being a case by case basis me and Sean were talking earlier. Ziz Al Shaier has not played football in three weeks. Christian Harris only started playing about three weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I mean, are are.
Speaker 4: Those some of the guys that case by case you can look at and say, you know, when you look at the participation report at the end of this game, that they probably have some of the most reps out there, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think they want to let those guys continue to shed Russ for as ease, and he's missed a lot of football and they'd like to give him back on the field and have an opportunity to get him playing the way he can before the playoff game. He can really give them a shot in the arm. Having a linebacker like that that also can cover. That's been a sore point for the defense during his absence and the things that have happened with pass coverage at the linebacker position. So yeah, I think that's the move they're gonna both. They're both excited they're going to play together. I know they're playing. I think they'll try to get those guys in some kind of groove heading into postseason. But it's ony guys. You know, how much time do you need? How long does it take to be instincts and everything to kick back in.
Speaker 1: Aaron The addition of Deontay Johnson to this Texans roster being claimed off waivers, obviously everything has been made about his season being traded and now he's with the Texans. How much time do you think he really needs to try to get in tune with this offense.
Speaker 3: I think he needs to play probably half the games that would help. Just don't know how many of the players he actually knows. So you know, he's go out of the route tree down He's an accomplished wide receiver. So Bill they can go over to the huddle. Hey, I'm gonna throw you this. I'mafray you that. I think there was some design stuff for him and you know, some touches. Nothing would surprise me, but I could see him catching three or four passes. Ye, I mean.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing is, you know you talk about, you know just what his production can be. I mean for Texans fans out there who are looking for somebody to go alongside Nico Collins and actually be able to help out C. J. Stroud in this offense. Is Johnson a guy that in this short amount of period can be somebody that could be a viable number two.
Speaker 3: He can It's just you look at you know the skill set, it's there. It's just he's always had problems with getting upset. I think he's gonna have the opposite problem. I think they're gonna give him the ball. He doesn't get the ball, gets mad. That's that's in the pattern, and he get You can be happy one moment and then he gets angry. He's had most of the downs so far or nothing but good reviews. He's just studying and happy to be here and he likes it. And this is a place that he was interested in playing him before I didn't didn't really engage any trade talks, but he wanted that to happen to euston the team he's been interested in. He met CJ. Shradded autograph signing and they hit it off. And yeah, so far, we're hearing a lot of good things. I don't know if you caught Joe Mixon's podium interview. He was getting an award from from US from the Localtal Writers Chapter for Media Good guy for his cooperation with the media this year, which has been different from the way he was in Cincinnati. But he's had a good relationship with us. But he brought up Deontay Johnson and he went on and on about what this guy can do and the people are like what they see from him. And I think it was interesting because players no players, and Joe was so authentic. I thought that was really interesting to hear how effusive he was about Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Joe Mixon, I know you asked de Miguel Rans earlier this week about trying to jump start this running game because it's been you know, quote unquote stuck in neutral. If you will, what do you think needs to happen for Joe Mixon to get back to you know, at least rushing for over one hundred yards. Is it a combination of Joe Mixon and the offensive line or is it just single handl of the offensive I just has to block better on run plays.
Speaker 3: Well, it's always both guys. I mean, he's got to still break the tackles and hit the hole and make something happen. Makesby miss I think he can be a little more elusive, and he's been kind of just plowed straight ahead, so he's runs. So but Dave's got to open up better holes. And oh, you Scruggs is going back out there. He's gonna play right guard. You get your passionate center. You've got pet of Howard of course at left guard, Larry Tunsall, and that right tackles Blake Fisher. They need to have a better performance. I mean the way they play against the Ravens ters of how they picked up stunts or didn't pick them up, and the run blocking was non existent. They had to abandon the running games, so they didn't do anything well as Bobby slowly committed against the Ravens. So the offense, to me they're the ones with lots proof.
Speaker 4: Aaron Wilson again join us here on the Sewn Salisbury Show. You know, Aaron, we were talking about Jarrett Patterson a little bit earlier. I mean, what have you seen from his play this year? And do you think that he's done enough that, even with the changes that we believe are going to come to this offensive line this offseason, that he's earned the right to go in the next season as the starting center.
Speaker 3: I could see that happening. I don't know if they're worried about Jarrett really. I think they think he does a solid job. It's a good technique. He plays with decent pad level for a tall guy, and it really matters to him. You can probably see, you know, in his face and the effort how much the game means to him. He's got a lot of intangibles. He's good at the line calls, which was a problem before with two Scruggs. I would say that Jared's got to keep getting bigger and stronger. That's his weakness. He's got to be a bigger, more powerful lineman. But he is really in front of you on pass pro and the guy that works, hard working, gritty, Lineman that you know, I would say he hasn't been a problem. If anything, I think he's been kind of an asset for them. I just don't know is there's something behind door number two that's just a huge upgrade. If they can find that, great, But if not, I think they'd be comfortable with Patterson.
Speaker 1: A couple more minutes with NFL insider Aaron Wilson, covering the Texans and the NFL for KPRC Channel two Sports. You can find him on Twitter at Aaron Wilson Underscore NFL.
Speaker 2: All right, Aaron, talking about the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: You had a couple guys for the Texans that made the Pro Bowl in Derrek Stingle, the junior Nico Collins, Joe Mix and Laramie Tunsel. Then you have a list of alternates as well. Are you surprised that Neil Hunter is just an alternate and not a first ballot Pro Bowler?
Speaker 3: I thought it was a snub, but I also think I understand what happens. So you've got Will Anderson Jr. Returning Pro Bowl Guy, Feil Hunter, four time Pro Bowl Guy, third in the NFL, and Sacks. He's the one that really had more of the splash plays and the stats. Will had a great season two. But I thought that Danil was just sort of a cut above. And what I think happened is that they split the votes. So let's say you're a coach or player and you're doing the balloting. They were up there for the fan balloting, coaches and players matter morts two thirds of the vote, and guys probably like some guys, oh well, you know, I like Anderson or I like Hunter. I'm not giving them both my Pro Bowl votes. You know, there's the Trey Hendrickson's, there's other rushers, Jonathan Gernard on the NFC squad. I mean the AFC. You know, you've got Anderson, You've got some other good defensive lineman, you know, like Crowdsey's not gonna play in the game. So Daniel will get in if he has if he wants to go to the Pro Bowl games, which is just flag football. It's really not about the game anymore. That's nothing. It's just some guys had this in their contract. Daniel is one of those guys. But he had a million dollar Pro Bowl incentives, so it cost him money. So that's real. It's a lot of money. His incentive with Will. He's just in a rookie deal, so nothing like that. But yeah, I thought danil but they made a mistake for him not to make it, and I thought he should have made it. And Will, you know, maybe he's not. Maybe he's the alternative of the two, but yeah, they both are alternates. I'm sure Daniel get added to the game, but he wasn't voting into it initially and that makes a difference. So yeah, I would say it's it's just a tough situation when you have two good edd dressers. Normally teams don't have both guys make the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: All right, I got twenty seconds left for you, Aaron NFL Inside Aaron Wilson finishing up here on the Shawn Salisbury Show. Give us your prediction, Texans Titans, who wins?
Speaker 3: I think the Texans win this game. I'm gonna go with them. I'd say twenty four to thirteen, twenty.
Speaker 2: Four to thirteen. Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Aaron Wilson, NFL insider for KPRC Channel two Sports covering the Texans and the NFL. You can find them on Twitter at Aaron Wilson Underscore NFL. Aaron Safe travels out there be careful, keep your head on a swivel as you head to Nashville. Man, we appreciate it. We'll talk to you next week. Okay, thank you, appreciate you, Aaron. Let's get to break. We'll continue to talk to these Texans next