Speaker 1: At a book.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to be able to listen to the show without ads and have full access to bonus content, that's an option. To find out how, please go to Dogmanencounters dot com forward Slash podcast. If you listen to last Friday Night Show episode six nineteen, you heard tonight's guest Wiley Birou come on and talk about a pretty darn unnerving dogman encounter he had. Well, he had so much to share with us that night on that show that I didn't have enough time to ask him questions about that experience. So I asked him if he'd be interested in coming back on to answer those questions, to do a Q and A basically, and he agreed, So here he is back to do that. Hevn said all that, Thanks again so much for coming back, Wiley. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Vic, it's no problem, my pleasure. How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Doing good? But more importantly, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing excellent. We got a lot of snow here in New Jersey. I've been shoveling out the driveway. I shoveled out my neighbor's driveway. But other than that, we're doing really well.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good as long as you can say that that's a great thing.
Speaker 1: Wiley.
Speaker 2: For anyone who missed episode six nineteen, please give us a brief bio in yourself.
Speaker 1: All right. So I grew up in New Jersey, and ever since I was a little kid, my mother took me I'm hiking across the street. I grew up in a preserved area, which was a thirty six thousand acre part preserved for wildlife, which is pretty It's one of the largest expansions of preserved land with the highest density of population surrounding it. So growing up in New Jersey, I was actually really lucky to have the outdoors just right at the tip of my fingertips. So I was able to explore and go hiking as a kid, which really drew me into like pursuing a career towards the outdoors. So after high school, I went to a wilderness school in Washington State where I learned to survive in the outdoors. The experience was really amazing. The experience was about a year long, and after the year long survival program, I ended up moving back to New Jersey. I did AmeriCorps, where I volunteered all around the country helping different people during natural disasters, wild forest firefighters, and basically doing other service based projects around the country. So that's not nature oriented, but giving back to people is just something else that I'm very passionate about. So I did amer Corps and then I ended up wanting to move back to Washington State. And when I moved back to Washington State, I ended up getting my four year degree in wildlife biology and forest management. While I was in Washington State, I did a bunch of hiking, mountaineering, backpacking, and it was just absolutely incredible. But I eventually moved back to New Jersey, where I became an arborist. I learned all the tree species here in New Jersey, I learned how to take care of all the plants and shrubs, and you know, doing the grind in New Jersey was just rough. And I eventually moved back to Oregon. I moved back to Oregon in twenty twenty five and I became a wild and forest firefighter. And I actually just recently moved back to New Jersey. So basically, throughout my life since I was eighteen, I've just been pursuing a career involving the outdoor and also service based projects, like, I really love giving back and that's kind of what drew me to becoming a firefighter. Firefighting you get to be in the outdoors and you get to like really help people. So, to make a long story short, that's where I'm at today. I'm back in New Jersey. I'm looking for work. But yeah, that's a little bit about myself. I'm really into the outdoors and I really like to give back.
Speaker 2: Listening to you talk about all the things you've done and do, it's clear that you're as nice and benevolent as the day is long. I'm really impressed. I really am.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Vic, thank you. Yeah, helping people is what makes the world turn around. If you have a chance to help somebody or something, even if it's a plant, do it because that helps the world go around.
Speaker 2: You're a good man. Like I told you before, I just hope you never change. For anyone who missed that show Friday night, please give us a quick rundown of your encounter now.
Speaker 1: Sure thing. So, I had been on a seventeen day camping trip. I had a bunch of vacation time saved up from working in the tree service industry. I'd been working in the tree service industry for about three years, and if I didn't use my vacation time, it wasn't going to roll over or I wouldn't be able to get to use it. So in right before January, I decided to go on seventeen day camping trip to Florida. While I was in Florida at the time, I was in a really intense relationship. I thought I was with the girl that was going to marry. We were planning on having kids, getting married, and just having a whole life together. But anyway, it ended up in a big broken heart. So she actually dumped me while I was on the trip, and one thing led to another. I was just super heartbroken. This was a first some I had to like move back into my parents' house in my thirties, and it was really a difficult situation. And one evening I was I was having a moment. I was just feeling the feelings and I was here alone at my parents' house and I decided to go on a walk into the forest at night without a flashlight because this is where I grew up, Like the forest out here is my serenity. I come out. I go into the forest to find peace. But at this moment in time, I wasn't in the best head space, and I went into the forest right across the street from my house, this thirty six thousand acre preserve which has a has a recorded Bigfoot sighting. But you know, that was not my concern at the moment. I just wanted to go out into the forest. There's this spot out there called Devil's half Acre, and it's basically it's an unknown spot. Like you could look up Devil's half Acre and the Saralands. I'm sure you'll find something, but there's not too many people that know where it is. I think I might be the one person who actually knows the location today who lives in Illsborough. But there's no trails that take you there. It's off the beaten path, so anyway, it's not a far walk from my parents' house. It's basically a ten minute walk through the forest. And after going to the Wilderness School in Washington, I got really used to hiking at night without a flashlight. The more you hike at night, the better night vision gets, and I'm always trying to practice that. So I went out into the forest at night with a broken heart, really mourning this whole relationship, not really exactly knowing how to express my emotions and stuff. So I had one of those moments where you look at the sky and scream why me. So I was out there just having a moment, letting go, and all of the sudden I heard a growl and the growl was clearly a canine, which just caught me off guard because after studying wildlife biology, you really learned the habits of canines and just wasn't the typical place that you'd hear a canine of that size. So I'm out there and like sure in the forest where I was, I know there are fox dens and stuff like that, but the growl that I heard was so low and scary that clearly I decided I need to leave. When you're in the forest by yourself with no flashlight and something growls at you, it's really unsettling. And this forest growing up next to it it's my home. So I've I grew up kind of feeling like I was king of the forest here. Nothing could really bother me, and if there's anything out there, they would respect me. So I went out into the forest with a broken heart, and I was just being loud and obnoxious and kind of disrespectful to whatever is out there. This park is closed at night, there's no access to people can't access it during the evening. So people going out into the forest and being extra loud, it's just, uh, it doesn't really happen often. So I'm out there, I hear a growl, and immediately I knew I need to leave, So I just I got up and I started trying to make my way out of the forest as fast as possible. So as I'm coming out of the forest, there's a road you have to cross to get into a field. There's where my parents' house is located. There's a one neighbor by my parents' house and a field, and I basically the mountain side is on the other streets other side of the street. So I'm coming down out of the forest off of the mountain. I crossed the street into the field and I start making my way towards There's a couple of green belts that lead to another field. So there's a field that I'm crossing into a green belt, and another field than my neighbor's house and then my parents' property. So I'm coming down out of the forest and I cross the street and I get into this field and I'm make my way through the green belt and I get into the next field, and I hear whatever was growling at me was following me, and I could hear it coming through the woods kind of in the direction that I'm coming in, and that really kind of freaked me out because that's just not typical animal behavior. So basically that scared me to my wits end, and I ended up running through the field and I make it to the green belt that leads to my parents' property, and I make my way over to the door that I would enter to get into the room that I'm staying in, which is the room that I'm saying in is basically a photography studio. There's two buildings on my parents' property, the main house and this old Amish barn that my dad turned into a landscape architecture office and a photography studio. So right now, while I'm in between places, I'm staying in my parents' photography studio, and at that time I was as well. So I'm getting through this. I ran through the field and I'm coming through the green belt to go into my property, and I make my way through my property and I go into the door and I leave the door open, and I kind of just listened to see what was following me. And I can hear something big coming through the field and it's panting, and I got really kind of nervous. I was nervous the whole time. But this canine clearly canine. I thought it was a bear at first. Well, I didn't think it was a bear, but it looked like a bear. And this creature walks basically right in front of me through my parents yard. I could just see the shadow of it, silhouetted and whatever it was like, it was huge, and I could hear it breathing as it walking right past my door. And it goes across my parents' yard into the next field and I look at it sit down in the field and it's doing a weird growl and bark and it was making noises, and I decided to whistle at it. And when I whistled at it, it stopped making the noises and it registered my whistle and then it continued with this growl. Meanwhile, I can see it in the field over sitting canine like, and it starts growling and barking and it did this crazy the growl bark that turned into a howl. And after studying wildlife biology for so many years, like my name is Wilie and coyotes are kind of my spirit animals, so I've actually done some coyote research. I've fed coyotes from my hand. I also got a chance to do wolf research and Idaho and I got to track wolves with this amazing researcher. So I'm very familiar with canines, and this was a canine that I'd never heard before, and it struck me, it struck me to be something different, and the sound it made was just unlike anything I've ever heard, and just being in that situation where we're getting stocked by an animal from a distance like that, it's just not like any other animal behavior. And for the next couple of weeks afterwards, which was really really unusual, because I had no idea what exactly I was looking at, except that my intuition told me that this was not a wolf, not a coyote. And I had heard of dog man before, and that's exactly what my intuition was saying, like this is not something normal, this is you know. I was in denial, but there's nothing else that could have been other than a dog man in my opinion. So basically, the next couple of weeks afterwards, I had these really weird dreams where something was looking at me through the window and it freaked me out so much I tried covering the windows. The windows in this room had no shades, and I started locking the doors every night, which I've never done before. And I actually just moved back here from Oregon and I haven't had any weird feelings and I haven't had the sense that I need to lock the door. But so that was just like a really really reaction from the experience that I had, and that's basically what I had. That's my dog man experience. I had something tracked me and follow me from the forest, which is just really odd animal behavior. I've been in close proximity to mountain lions, and I've been stalked by a mountain lion, but the difference between being stalked by a predator like that is their stealth like the mountain lion. I didn't realize there was even stalking me until the last second order we made eye contact. This creature, whatever it was, was stalking me and letting me know that it was stalking me. It was keeping a healthy distance away, but it clearly was escorting me out of the forest, which was I knew and not normal animal behavior. And so this experience like really freaked me out and I ended up looking up a dog man. I looked up anything I could. I did a bunch of research on dog man after this experience, because my intuition was telling me that this had to be a dog man and that's how I found your podcast. And after listening to your podcast, I heard a few other encounters that were that took place in the same county, and that just kind of verified it. Literally, there was a gentleman that was on your show that I think was probably only a few miles away. So I kind of led me to believe that I might be in a dog man hot spot. And also after that fact, my parents saw something weird. I told my parents about the encounter and they kind of laughed at me. But literally, within that same week, my mom saw two canine figures. She thought they were deer at first, but when she was inspecting them looking at them, she realized those weren't deer, that the hair was way too dark and she realized that they were canine canines out there, some kind of canine. She didn't know what they were she but they, she said, they're as big as dogs. And when she noticed them, they noticed her, and they dashed away like lightning, faster than any animal she'd ever seen. And like maybe a week later, my dad witnessed the same two creatures that were when my mom saw them. They were in the back of our property. When my dad saw them, they were on the outer edge of one of the fields, and the same thing happened. My dad saw them and they noticed him, and my dad said they they ran like faster than an the animal he'd ever seen. And my parents called me up and they're like, hey, Wiley, we saw a dog man. And they were kind of joking about it, and they told me there what they saw, and yeah, so they were kind of joking about it. They don't really believe that they saw a dog man, but they definitely saw something that, you know, got their attention. And after my mom saw that, she started taking pictures. She found one picture of like a giant canine track right outside of our our barn, and our barn door has a cat door in it, and right in front of the cat door was this gigantic canine track in the snow. And uh yeah, So, like I don't think my parents really believe what they saw, but like, deep down, I think they know there's something out here that's strange, because every once in a while they'll tell me this, not every once in a while, like once they told me they saw a track and they saw canines. But that's basically all the activity that I've had that they've had. I've been in organ this whole time, but since I've been back, the few days i've been back, I haven't had any activity. But that's kind of what happened. To sum it up, Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: It really is. A dog mean encounter can teach you a lot about yourself when all said and done with regards to that encounter, of course, would you say that the bulk of what you learn from it? Would you say the bulk fit was outward or inward?
Speaker 1: I would say it was. That's a that's a good question.
Speaker 3: Well, basically, uh, I would say it was somewhat bold because, uh, basically I started researching the creature and heard a lot more encounters that seemed very credible.
Speaker 1: But you know, it did seem to test my feelings and emotions. And you know, after having experience an experience like that, I I've never really felt scared to live where I've lived like this, this forest here in New Jersey has always been my sanctuary, my safe space, and I've never really like felt too nervous. But after having that encounter, I I was honestly scared to like go outside, and where I'm staying at right now, you have to go outside in order to use the bathrooms and stuff like that. So after having that encounter, really it really kind of gave me PTSD. For a while, I wouldn't leave the door unlocked and I was trying to cover up the windows because I was having these vivid dreams that something was watching me. But you know, moving back to New Jersey and moving out of my parents' house, that PTSD sort of simmered away. But yeah, it was definitely a little bit of both internal and external, because it was internal at the moment because I was like terrified of my parents' property for a while. And I would say it's also external because I dove into this topic and just started doing so much research and now I believe that there's definitely something out there, so a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how it normally goes. And sometimes the only way you can learn certain things about yourself is by having a profound experience like the one.
Speaker 1: That you had that night.
Speaker 2: With that in mind, and with that being said, what surprised you most about what you learned about yourself after having that.
Speaker 3: Encounter probably the fact that I have a craving for more.
Speaker 1: I want to learn more about the subject. I'm definitely I would like to have a better sighting. You know, you better watch out for what you wish for. But at the same time, studying wildlife biology and tracking lousive animals, the fact that there's something that could be unknown out there just really intrigues me, and I want to learn more. I'm not really out here to prove it that anything is real or that exists. I really want to unpay these creatures the respect that they deserve and give them their space. But I definitely want to learn more. And you know, after having a scary situation like that, you would think that maybe I'd be intimidated to learn more, But just after so many life experiences that I've had, I realized, like sometimes pushing your comfort zones and doing something that scares you makes you stronger in the long run. So, like, though though this topic is unnerving and I don't really know what to think about the behavior of this creature, I am interested to learn more, especially after hearing people's encounters and stories. You know, you hear some that are obviously aggressive, and then sometimes you hear some that aren't. You know, mine mine was kind of unnerving and aggressive because when I had the chance to whistle and like kind of interact with the creature, I didn't get a warm, fuzzy like vibe. I got a growl and a howl, and it was clearly trying. It was clearly an aggressive behavior that it was trying to display. So with that said, uh, I think these are apex predators and you should always give your give these give animals their space. So it's just a touchy subject, you know, It's really difficult to figure out how to go about even trying to research something like this, and the research that I do is basically just for my own enlightenment. I'm you know, I don't really want to prove any any of these cryptos are real, so but I do want to know more about these creatures, and I would love to be able to study them. I'm fascinated by all nature and wildlife, and these creatures exist, you know, they're here, they're part of nature. So yeah, that's what really surprised me the most.
Speaker 2: Well, it's obviously you have a lot of curious You're obviously very intelligent, you love the outdoors, you love nature. It's only natural that you try to find out all you can about these guys. So yeah, that doesn't come as a surprise. Now, you just mentioned respect, and obviously you'd be the last person to ever intentionally disrespected dog men. But have you ever thought about the possibility that that dog men vocalize the way it did when you're listening to it just outside your door that night, because of you going into what just might have been its home, or it might have considered to be its home, i e. The Devil's half Acre and yelling why me, Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely think that I had something to do with it. You know, if these animals are out there and they're apex predators and they look at humans like you know, you know, what are big bodies of meat that can pretty easily be taken down I'm sure it was. Who knows what kind of hunting patterns I was disrupting, or any kind of piece I was disrupting. I'm sure these things don't really appreciate humans coming into their territory and being loud and disruptive. I don't think any animal would would appreciate that. Probably no human would either, So I, you know, it makes sense that I would get a reaction like that based off of how I was feeling and how I was acting and how loud I was being. Typically when I go into the forest, I try to keep a calm, a calm mind, and I try to be respectful and quiet and listen to the forest and usually have great positive experiences. But right that day I was I was I wasn't doing that at all. I was going out there with my feelings emotions. It's just interesting that, you know, I went out there and expressed these emotions and had another an emotional experience too. So it's weird that how that works. But I think if anyone went out there and was being really loud and abrasive and doing something wrong at that time of night, that they would have a similar experience. And there was another day where I went out there, and I had two little puppies and I went out. I went out hiking at night the sarlands with the puppies, and the whole time I didn't go very far. I like literally went on the first loop of the trail, and the whole time I was out there, my puppies were just cowering in fear, just whimpering, and uh, yeah, I turned around quick. But yeah, when you grew up in an area and you consider it your home, you kind of like feel like there's nothing out there that can harm you. But the reality is when you go out into the forest, you're out of your element to a certain extent, you know, I mean not out of our elements, but we as humans live in a little bubble. We're not living a primitive style of life, and you know, so like, yeah, I feel like it's really important to respect the animals that call that their home.
Speaker 2: It it'd be nice if we were in charge, but in most cases we're not. And that's all there is to it. Like you just said, now, you just mentioned the negative feelings that you had that night, and when we spoke for the first time, you told me about the negative energy that you're putting off at the Devil's half Bacre. But before this all happened, you knew about dog men? Did you know about the tendency for negative emotions like that to tend to draw them in.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. I'd heard about dog man because I'm into the bigfoot subject, but I never gave it like two cents. I never really thought much into the subject until I had this encounter. So also, growing up in New Jersey, it's so densely populated, you kind of feel like there's no predators out here. Cat fox. I think we have bobcat. I believe we do have mountain lion out here. I've seen sign, I've seen scat. But you know, if you ask a wildlife biologists in the area, they're going to say there's no mountain lions, and there's no wolves, and there's no big predators. The biggest predator probably they'd say it's our coyotes. I'm not really afraid of coyotes, And when I went out there, I was kind of thinking, I'm top predator and I have nothing to worry about. But I was quickly humbled. That's for sure. When you're when you're outside without a flashlight in the forest and you hear something gral at you flips that switch really quick. So I went from feeling like I was king of the forest to extremely vulnerable, like I could be taken out quick. So that's those are the vibes I was feeling. And I was not expecting that at all, to say the least.
Speaker 2: Well, you had no reason to expect it. Why do you think that dog man responded to your whistle the way it did?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a really interesting question, because I wasn't expecting it to react to my whistle whatsoever. But you know it was, it was following me. I heard it close when I was in the forest yelling into the sky whimy. I heard it not too far away at that point. It had to have been like thirty feet. It was a close growl. Like Devil's half acre is literally half of an acre. So the Devil's half acre is this boulder field out in the middle of the forest. There's a creek that leads to Devil's half acre. Basically, there was rocks in the creek that get bigger and bigger and bigger until you can't hear the see the creek anymore. You could just hear it and they call it the Rumbling Rocks. But this there's a huge boulder field where there's boulders that are the size of school buses, huge boulders like mountain esque features right here in New Jersey. People that grew up in Hillsborough don't even know that there are mountainous features like that in this town. So Devil's half Acre, it's pretty hidden. But yeah, I was not thinking that I would be really disturbing anything out there. I you know, any wild animal too that could be out there. I would think that me yelling into the sky like I was so aggressively would have scared it away. You know, animals typically are afraid of humans and don't want anything to do with humans, even predators like mountain lions. They evolved to not hunt humans and typically if they hear a human, they're gonna leave. Same with bears, same with most predators. So I was out there thinking I was totally safe and totally fine, and here in a growl like that really caught me off guard.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't have any reason to think that anything like that was going to happen, So you can't be faulted for that. Do you know how the place got its name. How the Devil's half Acre are in that name, That's.
Speaker 1: A great question. No, I do not know how Devil's half Aer got its name. I always wondered. That's definitely something I need to research, but I have no idea. But I'm sure there's a reason for it. Definitely. I think in the Sara Lens there are some secrets. Like you look at this forest and you just get an energy. There are some things out there, and it has a kind of a foreboding vibe to it, but at the same time, it's really inviting. It's a really beautiful place and a beautiful space. It's one of my safe spaces, so you know, knowing that there could be things lurking out there is a little unnerving. But at the same time, I feel like if I go out into the forest with a good headspace, I'll be fine. But I do not know how it got its name, and I would be I would love to know if anyone in New Jersey has heard of Devil's half Acre and has any idea of its history, I would I'm definitely interested.
Speaker 2: We don't know how it got that name, but I can guarantee you this. I'm sure it's not for a reason that's going to give us a warm and fuzzies. That's pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think there's like a some sort of history of like places being named devil and having some sort of sort of like negative history to it. So it's kind of interesting that there's like a place named Devil's half Acre right across the street. I have no clue why it's named that, but you know, I do know that it has a it did have a large Native American presence. Like when you're hiking through the Sarlans often you'll find tree Bend and I've actually found petroc glyphs that were carved on top of a boulder. And it's really cool because I'm uh. These petroc glyphs were found randomly, and in order to get to the top of the boulder, I had to climb a tree. I climbed a tree with a few of my friends to get on top of this boulder and there are all these petroc glyphs. And this was in high school, and we all put our own carved, our own names and pictures around the petrick lyfts. But I was never able to refine those petroc glyphs. I know exactly. I kind of know the general area where I did find them, but I haven't been able to find them again. But there is a large Native American presence and not now, but there was a large Native American presence in these in this forest. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I do know that there are a lot of dog Man's sidings near cemeteries Native American cemeteries. I don't know if there is a American cemetery across the street, but you can find tree bends and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That sure does sound like a neat area, It really does. Could you feel it in your chest when the dog Man made those vocalizations after you whistled at it?
Speaker 1: I did not. I did not, And I have felt that sensation before, so I know what you're talking about. But no, I didn't feel it in my chest. So I don't think that's like says anything in particular. But yeah, I was definitely able to hear it, but it didn't like vibrate my core or anything like that. But it was and it wasn't like crazy loud, but it was definitely directed towards me, and it was and a very aggressive growl bark, howl. But no, I didn't vibrate my chest, and neither did the growl. But the growl did like scare me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure it got your moodor running. I don't out that at all. Did anything you witnessed or experienced that night as your encounter was playing out to give you the impression that it might have been a spiritual creature.
Speaker 1: Nothing really made me think it was a spiritual creature. As far as I'm concerned, it was a flesh and blood creature. I can hear it moving through the woods, I could hear it stepping on leaves and sticks. I could hear it breathing, I could hear it howling, I could hear it barking. But I didn't do anything out of the norm that a normal flesh and blood creature would do. I do believe in spiritual entities, and I do believe that maybe some of these cryptids do have some kind of paranormal behavior, But in this circumstance, I didn't witness or experience anything out of the usual. Basically just the normal flesh and blood got type of behavior. So there was definitely a creature that was physical that was following me. And growling at me. So no, no paranormal, nothing paranormal.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a mixed bag. Some people see and experience things that convince them that the dog men they encounter, they're convinced that they must be spiritual beings from the ether. But then other people they're convinced that they have to be just flesh and blood creatures with no special abilities. So yeah, like I said, it's a mixed bag.
Speaker 1: With what you just said, I mean, if dog men, if you know, if they're seen around Native American cemeteries and they're protecting that, I feel like that would be more of a spiritual entity because you hear that off over and over and over and no, no normal wildlife, wild animal would do that. That's just that is paranormal behavior. And you know, there is there obviously was a large Native American presence here, so like you know, maybe there was some sort of spiritual connection, but from what I experienced, I didn't experience anything unusual. But who knows, who knows?
Speaker 2: Well, as you know, there are so many things about these guys that we just don't know. All we can do is guess at and we're never going to know more than likely. But that's just one of the many things that makes these guys so interesting. It really is. Now, let me qualify this by saying, I'm not being critical of you with this next question here. I'm just curious about this. Before you had that encounter, you said you already knew about dog men. With that in mind, why do you think it took you so long to connect the dots as that encounter was playing out and realize what it was right away the moment that you saw it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I had briefly heard of dog man, Like I'm like one of those people that has to see it to believe it. I had heard well, living in Washington, I had heard many bigfoot encounters and stuff like that, and I really was skeptical, especially studying wildlife biology. So I have a I just have a scientific based mind, and I try to be skeptical until I can find some sort of proof that leads me to believe that maybe there is something out there. So I studied. Uh, I've I've had close encounters with the wolves. I know what they sound like, I know what their footprints look like. I can I can tell you the difference between a wolf scat and I'm fox scat, and I've also been around plenty of coyotes. I when I was in the Wilderness school, I did this little research thing where I camouflaged myself and I sat in the bushes along a coyote trail and I would just hide and I'd wait for the coyotes come by. And there were a few times where they literally and they knew I was there, and they came up right to me and sniffed me and found me. I've also fed a coyote out of my hand. I was doing park work in Washington State and there's this park and every once in a whiles while you'd see coyotes when you're shutting down the park. And I used to always have bags of beef jerky, so every once in a while there's some jerky towards the coyotes, and eventually they came really close. After a while, they got close enough that they'd eat out of my hands. So, to make a long story short, I've had a lot of experience with coyotes, foxes, and wolves, and this was a This wasn't a coyote or a wolf. There are no wolves in New Jersey. This wasn't a desiccated dog, it's just the animal behavior that it displayed was just totally out of the norm of any canine I've ever experienced. But my intuition told me right away it was a canine. I could tell by the gral, I could tell by the bark. And then when it when I it was walking past my door and I was trying to basically listen and hear and see everything that I could, Uh, I was trying to see what was stalking me. I was able to see the outline of it basically, and it was it looked like a canine. It was as big as a bear, looked like a canine. And my intuition when like, all right, if this isn't a wolf, this isn't coyote, this isn't a dog, this has got to be a dog man. Because you know, I am very open minded. I don't believe humans have discovered everything on this planet. I think there's a lot unknown. So with my open mindedness, I was I just did the process of elimination. What else could it be? A dog man? So also the dreams that I had, I didn't even really like I had the experience that like in the back of my I was thinking maybe it's a dog man. But the dreams I had every single night were so vivid, and basically I was seeing a wolf look through my window, standing up on two legs, which was really strange. It was only a dream, but that only made me feel I don't know, I don't know. It made me feel like it had to have been a creature that no one really knows. So yeah, with my experience and my encryptid interests, I kind of alluded to the fact that it could possibly be a dog man. And my intuition, which is usually right, told me it was a dog man. So like, I think, without a doubt, that's what I saw.
Speaker 2: That makes two of us. And you're just being pragmatic by just not jumping to the conclusion that it was a dog man. They gave you every reason to jump to that conclusion. But yeah, you're just being practical by not doing that. And that's understandable. That's respectable. It really is.
Speaker 1: And that's when I started like looking into the subject. I was like, I, my intuition is saying that this is not a normal creature, and I started looking into the dog man subject, and that's where I found your podcast, and that's where I started hearing encounters, and to my surprise, there had been other encounters and sightings in the same county, let alone, like not even a few miles away. So like, after having that experience and hearing those encounters, are really kind of verified in my head that what I saw was definitely a dog man, especially after hearing my parents see these weird canines in the back of our yard and stuff. So if there is a dog man, I know there's more than one.
Speaker 2: And that gets me. The fact both of your parents have had dog me and encounters of their own, but they still don't want to cross that line and admit that they're out there unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it's unfortunate, but you know, what are you going to do. You can't teach it old dog new tricks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. That's a good point. You said that you had those bad night tiers for two weeks after you had that encounter. Have you had any sense?
Speaker 1: Uh no, not. So Basically, after I had that encounter, I had night terrors all the way up until I moved out, and eventually I moved in with a new girl, which was great because I had just gotten out of this terrible relationship, and I was I'm an arborist, so I was the lead arborous and trainer for my company, and they were like, oh, there's this new girl that's gonna be working there, and I was training her and we hit it off and ended up dating for years after and she's still one of my best friends in the whole entire world. But yeah, no, I didn't think so, oh.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness for that. You heard the same call several times after the night when you had your encounter. But how close were those new calls to you when you heard them?
Speaker 1: All? Right, So these fields are probably like one acre each. Field that's by my house is probably about it an acre each. So when it crossed through my neighbor's yard into the green belt into my yard, it had it was probably forty feet away from me. So I'm looking at a shadow just across the grass of my yard. It like cross in front of this pinoak, and that had to be forty feet away, and it went another forty fifty feet into the field. So I had a good one hundred feet of it crossing into my property, passing the pin oak, and then another fifty feet into the field. So it was close it was close. I could hear its foot feet hitting the ground. I could hear it breathing. When it was in the field, it was probably seventy five feet away tops. I could see it, uh, sitting like a canine like you know how dogs sit and they're just like you're like, good boy, sit like it was sitting like that my mind's eye. It was sitting like that facing me. I couldn't really tell because it was just barely silhouetted, like you could see that there was like this dark canine. But when it was sitting up, it looked like it was about four five feet off the ground, but from seventy five feet away in the darkest hard to gauge, but that's how far it was. And that's where it started. That's when I whistled to it and it started growling, did a growl it it growled and the growl turned. The growl turned into a bark, which turned into a howl. It was very, very bizarre. I've never heard of canine do making noise like that, but it was really obviously it was a canine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was way too close for comfort that night, it sounds like, but I guess I didn't make myself so very clear, and I apologize for that. No, when I was asking how close those calls were Tea, I was talking about the new ones, the calls that you heard after the night that you had that first encounter.
Speaker 1: Uh, what do you mean by the calls I heard after I heard that encounter When.
Speaker 2: We spoke for the first time, I thought you said that you heard other calls maybe in the distance after that night when you had that first encounter, like maybe it was coming back around or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard it a couple more times, very very not often. I heard it maybe one or two times after, and then I never heard it again. I also heard it one or two times beforehand, but I didn't really know what to think beforehand, and I actually forgot about that until you asked me this question. But yeah, I heard it around literally like one or two nights after, and it was just basically the same growl bark that I heard. It was weird because, like I swear, I heard that on the same gral bark before or even had this encounter, and that kind of like set and alarm in my head. But yeah, afterwards, I heard it like literally once or twice. That's it. And then I never heard it again, but I did have those like every night afterwards. I would feel like it was looking through my window, which was weird, and I had no idea that that was like a common thing that dog men do until I started listening to your podcast. It was weird because, like you know, I had this experience and I didn't know anything about the dog man topic. I just heard about it, and I was very skeptical of the whole entire situation. So then I have this experience and I didn't really know what to think about it. I didn't know how to feel about the whole situation. But it gave me nightmares and I was terrified, and my nightmares were of this like crazy big ten foot canine looking ducking down standing on two legs, looking through my window, and like the picture of it basically, if you could, less cartoonish, but like it looked like a star Fox with a longer star Fox from the video game, with a longer snout and bigger ears, basically the typical werewolf. But yeah, I haven't heard the noise since, but I haven't been living here. I moved out shortly after, and i'd been living in New Jersey for a while, and then I moved back to Oregon. So this is my I've been back for about a week now and I'm in the same place, so I'm keeping my ears open. But I have not heard anything since. And I only heard it like briefly, like maybe one or two times after the fact. That was sort of while I was just beginning to like come to the grips that maybe I'd seen a dog man. It took me a little while to like really accept that fact until I started listening to your show and Encounters. Like I was trying to say, I didn't realize that that was a frequent thing that dogmen did, was look through windows at people, until I started listening to your podcasts. But before I ever even had that realization, I was having bad dreams of this canine looking at me through the windows and it was really unsettling. And I'm I'm very comfortable in the outdoors. Like I said, I've been on I've been a Prince survival instructor for fifteen years. I've been on survival trips out in the bush in Washington State with nothing but my hands. The longest survival trip I did was eight weeks with nothing but my hands, and you know, I spent a lot of time in the forest and I went a sleeping bag just on the ground. So yeah, this was a new subject and a new fear that I had an experience, and so usually I'm comfortable with the outdoors, but after having that experience, I was really shooking and I would lock the door. You know, I'm out in the middle of nowhere, so there's really no reason to lock the door, but I just had a feeling that something could open it and come in and eat me. It was really unsettling. I don't know if anyone's had a feeling like that before, but if they have, they might understand the idea of something with claws opening up the door and coming in. But yeah, I was worried that there's a dog man that would eat me, and I just would have these vivid dreams of it opening up my door with its raccoon like hands and coming in. And ever since I moved out, I never had that fear again, and since I've been back, I haven't had any fear since, so it's kind of strange. But now that there's a bunch of fresh snow on the ground, I'm definitely trying to go tracking.
Speaker 2: Well, it goes without saying, I'm so glad you're able to enjoy the woods again, Thank goodness for that. That does make me wonder, though, almost all the things that you've done in the woods you did before you had that dog man encounter, talking about being an arborist and going to the survival school and everything else like that, if you would have had that dogged me an encounter before you did any of those many things that you've done in the woods, you think there's a possibility that encounter would have derailed your interest in going out and doing those things.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a great question. I don't know because I was so young when I started that. I was eighteen, and one of my first experiences in the Pacific Northwest at such a young age involved the cryptid experience. It didn't happen to me, but someone in the wilderness school that I went to had a a run in with a bigfoot the first night that we were camping on the property at the wilderness school that I went to, and they left the program the next day. So that didn't determine from continuing the wilderness School. In fact, I kind of thought the person was lying I didn't really know what to think at the time. I'd never really even heard of bigfoot. But I don't think so. I think. I think I believe we are all part of nature, and nature it's so therapeutic, important and important for us to have a connection to nature. I don't think anything could or would deter me from that. You know, if it's our time to go, it's our time to go. And I'm trying to accept that right now to help with the fear when I'm out at night or when I'm out in the forest alone, because like anytime i'm out in the forest one, I do have my guard up, you know, after these experiences, Like it's not like I'm roaming through the forest like lollygagger around joyful, not just with no wit, just I keep my wits to me and I'm always paying attention, you know. I you never know what can ever happen. Anything can happen when you're out in the forest, so it's always good to have your guard up to some extent. But I feel like I would have still done the wilderness school, but it's really hard to say. I don't know. If I was younger and I had that experience, who knows how I would have reacted. But right now, at this age, I'm thirty six, I'm not going to let anything keep me out at the forest.
Speaker 2: Good Man, And I'm so glad it didn't happen before you did all those things, because, yeah, and by the odd chance it would have frightened you out of the woods for good. That would have been a really big shame. It really would have been. You've had more than one sasquatch encounter, Wiley, in addition to your dog me an encounter. Please tell us about the sasquatch encounter that shook you at most.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've I've had a few sasquatch encounters. And it's funny because when I told you about them, you said that you think that I'm on their radar, which I don't think I'm on the radar. I think I've just spent a significant amount of time in the outdoors because for the amount of time that I've spent the outdoors, I've had very few encounters and like they're pretty minimal. They weren't anything crazy. But like, the scariest encounter I had with the bigfoot was when I was living in Washington State, basically in Capital Forest. Capital Forest is a it's a forest near Olympia, Washington that's like basically on outskirts of the Olympic Peninsula. So it's a it's a big forest. There's elk, the salmon run goes through the creeks all throughout the forest. There's mountain lions, black bear, and you know the occasional bigfoot siding. So I was my landlord was the grandson of Charles Limberg, which is kind of cool. I don't know if anyone's heard of Charles Limberg, but I know the whole Limberg family. Due to living on this guy's property, he ended up being a really close friend. We still talk to this day. In fact, I just moved back to New Jersey and right before I moved back, I was staying on his property again for a few weeks just before I left. But anyway, the Lindberg son, I'm on his property or Limberg grandson, I'm on his property, and he's got eleven acres in Washington State. It's really uh rural. It's a pretty bumble out there. There's a lot of animals, and his property's kind of open, like there's a there's a you know, he's got a grassy meadow with a garden, and like, at the end of the grassy meadow is the tree line, and I found a game trail that led into the tree line, and I had a hammock. So I set up the hammock. And because I would see Elk every week driving back from the property going into Olympia, and so I thought, maybe this could be an Elk game trail. I dodn't really know, but it was a game trail for sure. So I got this little four foot step ladder and I hung my aut hammock tent that I just got. I got this cool hammock that had like a mosquito net and a rain fly, and I hung it up seven feet above this game trail. So I ended up falling asleep, and at some point throughout the night, I was woken up by something like poking me, and I clearly woke up. It was as if something like your friend was poking you, and it was like wake up, wake up. And I woke up, and I kind of like was in a daze. I was in a deep sleep, and I woke up to my hammock swaying back and forth, and I could hear something like close by, basically probably the thing that was poking me. But I made sure to hang my hammock like high enough above the ground that if at elk with antlers walked on this game trail, its antlers wouldn't hit me. It was a good steven feet above the ground. So anyway, I was woken up to something poking me, and I'm swaying back and forth, and at that moment, my heart sunk. I was like freaked out, like what the heck was that? And I could hear something breathing, and all of a sudden, I tried to unzip my hammock, and when I'm unzipping it, it was really loud. I tried to do as quiet as possible, and it was just like I was like no, And as soon as I unzipped it, whatever poked me stamped his ground, stamped his foot on the ground and went wow, like just yelled at me. And I at that moment, I had a fight or flight feeling, and I knew I had to get out of there, so I I tried to make my way out of the hammock, and I remember getting out of it and grabbing it like monkey bars and swinging and then trying to let go and I put my feet couldn't touch the ground, and I end up landing on my behind. And as I was walking like out of the forest, really really scared, knowing that there's something behind me. I was close enough to the house that I lived on and I had seven roommates at the time, and one of my roommates that lived in the basement was a gamer, and he would say up really late playing video games, and he had a pitple and he let his pipple out as I was coming out of the forest, and the piple was like it was a fearless dog. It would chase mountain lion, it would chase barry. This guy would let the door open at two in the morning and the dog would just chase animals into the forest and then come back when it was ready. So like I'm coming out of the forest and he opens the door and I'm like, oh no the dog, and the dog immediately noticed the commotion started like kind of grunting and walking towards me in like an aggressive sort of way. And I'm like talking to the dog like easy boy, easy, it's me. It's me Wiley, Like I'm saying that, and the dog tucked its tail its legs and started whimpering and decided to come up to me, and it put its head in between my legs and escorted me to the front door, which was just amazing, honestly, Like I was terrified and knew there's something in the forest, and the dog reacted instantly to what was back there. I've never seen this dog cower and fear like this. It was a pit bull that was fearless, but yeah, escorted me back to the house and I went inside and I left the dog outside, and that was probably the scariest asquatch experience I had. I don't know what that was. I kind of thought about it many many times after the fact, and I came to the conclusion that there is nothing it could have been other than a bigfoot due to the fact there are tons and tons of bigfoot sightings that come out of the Capitol Forest, and I don't think I think I would have known it if it was an elk If it was elk Antler's kind of brushing against me, like what I felt were fingers poking me and what I heard was a yell on its stomp, and just the fact I don't think a dog would cower like it did if there was an elk or something. An elk usually traveling packs, They're not usually walking around the forest alone. But that was the scariest bigfoot encounter. It wasn't the most vivid bigfoot encounter I had. I've I've actually seen one face to face in Florida, and I saw I heard one doing vocalizations in Olympic Peninsula and then I got I saw it at the very top of the ridge, silhouetted, and it ducked down when I saw it. But so I've had multiple big foot encounters, but for the amount of time I spend in the forest, those encounters are far and few between. But I think they're out there, and I've seen footprints, and I've seen plenty of sign For example, I seeing trees that are flipped upside down with their roots exposed. I've seen that probably ten different times hiking throughout the forest in Washington State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after having all those experiences with sasquatch, you're definitely on the radar in my opinion.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that? Pick? What do you mean I'm on the radar? I don't think so. Well.
Speaker 2: It seems like when someone keeps on having encounters with Sasquatch, it's almost like they tend to just know when you're in their area, and it seems like for certain people they just try to seek you out. Not all the time, but when you have that many encounters, it sure does seem like they're trying to, at least to some capacity, seek you out, and that's why you keep on having experiences.
Speaker 1: Well, I think like for the amount of time that I've spent in the forest, the three encounters that I've had, they were all in different places. One was in the Olympic Peninsula, one was in Capitol Forest, and then one was in Florida. So like, I really I do believe that these were all different individuals and I don't think they were seeking me out. But I did have the encounters, and I do feel like they were able to sense my energy. I don't know if like there's something about the energy frequencies that they pick up on and they'll let themselves be seen by certain individuals. I think that's the best case scenario home with me, but don't I don't think I'm on their radar, and if I am, maybe there's some sort of paranormal aspects of these creatures. But who knows, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows, that's right? Which encounter do you think about more often? Your dog me an encounter or that sasquatch encounter you just told us about where you're in the Hammock.
Speaker 1: Well, I uh, I would say the Hammock one I think about the least because I didn't really see anything. I was only able to feel something, which was kind of crazy because like if it was a bigfoot, that means I was touched by a bigfoot. But I don't think of that one as much as the encounter I had in Florida with a big foot. The encounter I had in Florida, I got to stand Basically, we had a moment I was standing in front of one, face to face with a thousand women flashlights shining at it, and we were able to look at each other and kind of just like I zoned out, like trying to figure out what this creature's intentions were as it was swaying back and forth looking at me. And that's the one I really think about the most because just this behavior I when I was standing in front of it with a thousand women flashlight, I just couldn't tell what its intentions were. I couldn't tell if they're positive, if I was in danger, or like what it was thinking. But it was clearly checking me out and swaying back and forth and really vigorously looking at me, And I just have no idea what that means. Typically when I see an animal or human, I could read their body language, but this animal's body language was something that I wasn't able to read. It was definitely fascinated with me, and I kind of I don't know. I wasn't by myself. I had a friend with me. He wasn't able to see it. But yeah, if I was by myself during that situation, who knows what would have happened. Like it's interesting because like it looked like as if it was sizing me up. It was like swaying back and forth, like looking at me very intently, and as soon as I had a friend kind of walk up to me, it balanced so like I don't know if it was like I'm not going to take on to people, or this is too risky for me or what. I have no idea. I don't know if it didn't want my friend to see it, because my friend didn't see it, so me and whatever it was had this experience face to face, just me and it. But if I was alone, who knows how that would have played out. It's really interesting to think about. But you know, I know there are a lot of people that are alone and have experiences with the bigfoot and get out of that situation and scaped. So who knows, But that the experience in the hammock isn't like what I think about most, and the dog encounter to the dog man encounter isn't like something that I think about often, especially when I was living in Organ. When I was in Organ, I was mostly like focused on bigfoot. I know there are dog man encounters out in the Olympic Peninsula. I heard when recently on your show, But uh yeah, I just wasn't thinking about dog man as much. Now that I'm back in New Jersey, back in living in the same space that I was where I had the encounter, It's definitely on my mind more. But I just haven't had that intuition that there's anything out there right now. So I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 2: That does and you being back there that would tend to make you think about it a lot more. I get it. Well, it's about time for us to get out of here wildly. But before we do, do you have any clothes and comments you want to put out their forests?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely. I just want people to think about the energy that they have before they go into the wild spaces. You know, before I go into the wilderness, I try to set my intentions and I try to put positive energy out there. And if I, if I had, if I've learned anything from these experiences, going out into the wilderness without a flashlight and being super emotional isn't the safest thing that you could do. So if anyone is ever going out into the deep forest, just try to set your intentions and put positive vibes out there, and I think that can go a long way. That's about it for me, Dick. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh you're welcome, And like I told you before, I really do like the way you think. You're a good man. Well, having said that, thanks again so much for coming back on to do this Q and A. Thanks again so much for just coming on in the first place to tell us about your encounter. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I thank you so much. Vic, It's been my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, you're welcome. It's been a good time. Thanks again so much, and have a great night.