Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I'm fairly confident that she is not currently listening, but i'd be I'd be making a real big mistake if I didn't at least once throughout the three hour show. Here wish my lovely wife, Tiffany also known here at iHeart as Mercedes, a very very happy wedding anniversary fourteen years ago today. Thank you fourteen years ago today, Austin. She said yes, or she said I do. I guess she said yes when I propose you. Then she said I do whenever, you know, we made it official, so happy anniversary.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: I have no clue if I'd even be alive without her. I mean, I don't know what would have killed me. But you know, she takes care of me. Great, great wife, great mom, and I'm lucky to have her. So fourteen years is a long time. But once we got to like seven or eight, then it kind of, you know, it started to you know, okay, yeah, I guess you have been married for a little while now, and then ten was a big one. We did a nice little trip for our ten year anniversary went to kankun and we don't have anything special plan this year, but as I talked about earlier this week, we're really looking to do something big next year to celebrate fifteen years. And you're going to be a married man before too long, Austin, right, So you will learn this at some point. But I didn't know this until I don't know, maybe a few years into being married, that there are and not.
Speaker 3: Everybody does this.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we don't do it, but there are, Like there's wedding anniversary gifts that you get for each year that are specific types of gift, and I pulled this up on Okay, so I pulled this up online and there's there's listed at one through fifteen, and then I after fifteen, then you stopped doing sixteen through seventeen. Then you just do the milestones. Once you get to fifteen. It looks as if they've got it set up to where you just do twenty, twenty five, thirty, which you know makes sense.
Speaker 4: What I've heard I didn't know was every year as you were married. I knew that there was the century marks and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So the first year of marriage, the traditional gift is something paper, and the modern gift is clocks, so we didn't do any of that. But this year for fourteen, the traditional gift is something ivory. Don't even know what I would be, you know, if I went in, if I went in anywhere, it was like, I need an anniversary gift for my wife, something ivory. I'm not even sure what I would really be asking for. But the modern gift is gold jewelry, which she will be happy to know. She did not get any gold jewelry for our anniversary, and she wouldn't want me buying her jewelry anyway. I don't think I mean just because well I did one time, and I think this was I think this was a.
Speaker 3: A little bit of Christmas gift that I got her. I feel like it was.
Speaker 2: But she she got a necklace that had the two burstones of our kids in it, which I mean, it really wasn't like that expensive or anything nice or fancy, but you know, there was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a thoughtful and meaningful gift because obviously she's she loves being a mama and she's the mom of my kids, so that's probably like one of the I don't want to act like it was some great creative idea. I'm sure other people have thought of the same thing, but I thought, okay, that at least will just not be some random piece of jewelry that I don't know if she would like it because I don't know anything about you know, style when it comes to H two jewelry. So yeah, she's not getting any gold jewelry this year. But we are gonna have a nice little weekend. We've got uh my mom and stepdad are gonna be watching both kids.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna do a little staycation.
Speaker 2: We've got a we got a nice room at the Moxie Hotel downtown, so right, kind of have a nice date night. So looking forward to it, and I am open to uh some suggestions for for dinner. Austin gave me a great one, and uh, we may end up there, but you know you did tell me ahead of time a little little.
Speaker 3: Pricey yeah repeal, Yes, dude, I.
Speaker 2: Hope to be there at some point, but we may and we may end up their Saturday. I guess it kind of depends on how the night goes.
Speaker 4: But whipped Potatoes there, So where is that actually at It's on It's on mainstream. I think it's like right next to I may be wrong, but it's like kind of like it's on Whiskey Row, kind of like next to dot crows a little bit.
Speaker 3: Maybe not directly next to them, but I see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and this is one of the things I love about Google Maps. And I'm late to seeing this, but like you go to Google Maps, like it'll show you like a picture of like what you're where. I know exactly where it is now, right in a cool little, uh little spot. It's actually not far off from where we're or we're staying, so maybe we do end up there, by the way, I felt really dumb when I just realized in the last few months that if you do put in an address in Google Maps, you can click like the little image thing and it'll show you like I guess when the Google vehicle drives around, they just take you know, I'm sure you've seen them before, the Google car that has that cam. I'm on it. So like that helps me at times like, Okay, I think I'm going in the right direction, I think this address is the correct place, and then I'll I'll be able to pull up like a picture of what the location looks like and I'll either remember, yeah, that's it, or at least I'll know what I'm looking for if I'm going for the first time. I consider myself to be somewhat savvy when it comes to like how to really utilize technology to your advantage. But I felt like I missed out on a lot. I think it might have been who was it that told me you could do that? Somebody who even if I remembered, I wouldn't say their name, because like I remember thinking, like, how does this person know that? And I didn't. I was assuming that they're, you know, two decades behind an understanding technology. But anyways, happy anniversary to my to my lovely wife.
Speaker 3: We we got it good. We hope we're as young and as hot as you guys are.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you very much. I've I now am in a position where like it was the same way with John the company having a baby, Like now I'm somebody that does have a little wisdom when it comes to that, you know, two time sex average. I got two kids, I mean father too. Let's not let's not let's not ignore that, you know I did, I did. I did produce two children with this lovely woman. Today possibly we'll see, we'll see. You know, I haven't got the snip yet, and you know she might, although I don't know not to take the conversation in a different direction. And I'm not talking about my sex life, trust me, that wouldn't be good for radio. I'm just I mean, if I was given the opportunity to talk about it, I don't know if I'd be able to really, you know, make it interesting, because it's not like it's some crazy exciting thing. But nonetheless, I'll just stop talking now. I'm gonna keep putting my foot in my mouth. But she at times will like kind of flirt with the idea of having another kid, and like I can't ever tell if she's just like completely joking or if you know, like she's actually serious, because you know, that's something I need to know, like you were doing this or not, you know, is it happening or what?
Speaker 3: So anyway, like a Kentucky Derby winner, Well.
Speaker 2: I doubt you know that we would ever have another kid, but you know, you never know, And I'm all, you know, if so, I mean that that's that would be exciting, but maybe that's maybe that's here I am talking about our personal life on the show, which I'm sure she probably doesn't want any of our business out there, but like maybe that maybe that'll be something I really try to get this weekend is clarity.
Speaker 3: Okay, are you kidding? Because what I think.
Speaker 2: Has happened is her sister my my I was gonna call her my niece. She's not money, she's my sister in law, but she's her younger sister. She just had her second baby, and the baby's about a month old now, and she's got the baby fever because she's been around a new baby, which I need to tell her like, hey, we love that baby, and uh, you know we but like do that do we really want to do this all over again? So anyways, last thing before we move on and dive back into you know, the hard hitting sports show that this is I just mentioned, you know, I try to try to find ways to really utilize technology, learn about it and how it can it can benefit me? Or do you use AI for much of anything? Austin?
Speaker 3: Oh Yeah, okay, so I use it a lot.
Speaker 2: So I kind of feel like for a lot of folks me me, especially maybe even you, there was like the noise about AI was this fear that it was going to take all these jobs, and I'm sure it has to an extent and that it was going to you know, like, let me give you an example of the extreme side of artificial intelligence. When I hear music that is completely AI. That's scary to me because you would not know that it's not a real artist. You would not know that it's not like somebody who is super like that that really I mean, it's it's it's how gifted. I guess technologically we have advanced to where they can, like whoever whoever creates artificial intelligence and the different tools that you can you know, you can use to to, you know, do things that I would have never believed you can do until I saw it. Like that's cool and all, But like if if there could be a song that I listened to for you know, two months that I'm like, man, it's from my favorite songs ever, I just love this song.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: But then if I found out, like two months later that it wasn't real, it was just created by technology, I would I would I would not like it, like, because I would I would know that it's not real. Like music is one thing that like, we should never use AI in any way because at that point you're truly taking away what it is, which is art. But again, like some of the music you like, there's TikTok channels that are specifically set up to just create silly songs or sometimes songs that like are good and you would never like, you'd never know, Like somebody recreated a Drake in the Weekend song about a year ago and it went like crazy viral and it was I think one of the first songs that like took off that was clearly AI and everybody realized or I shouldn't say, I mean, I don't know if it was clearly AI. I don't think you know, if nobody told you, but like it was scary for people to realize. So you're telling me, AI, is that powerful to where you could give us this and just tell us that it's Drake and and future of the Weekend and we wouldn't know, And you know.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 2: So long story short, the noise was always about all this is scary, which I guess that technically that is still the case in some aspects. But I now have realized all the things you can do to make your life easier, and I guess that's kind of where you're at now, right, Like you realize, you know why, you'd be foolish not to learn how to utilize it to really help you in a variety of ways. And it's really not that difficult to utilize. And now there's I have learned that to really get the full benefit of using AI for certain things, and you can use it for a lot of things. Trust me. There's a lot of these platforms that will make you pay like a monthly fee to be able to use it as much as you want. They'll give you a couple of free chances to kind of see how powerful it is, and then if you like it, you can then you know, subscribe and you can use it endlessly. And I'm doing that now. There's a few different services that I've realized that that really that really like honestly show prep not ideas, not content that like like I'm not telling hey, AI prepare a show for me, because even if it could do that, that would take out all the fun and value of what doing this is.
Speaker 3: Do you have a favorite AI?
Speaker 2: I mean, I use chad GPT for a lot of stuff, but when it comes and really that's the one I utilize most. But you know, like I guess, really that's right, but Twitter now has one. I guess X is what it's called. But there's Grock is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's my favorite.
Speaker 2: So I pay for the for the premium account. And it's because you can, first of all, you can earn some money if you have a decent amount of following. It's not a lot of money, but you know, it pays for itself because I now have you know, I get enough traffic on my tweets to where it justifies the you know, twenty nine to nine to nine a month or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: But also groc is like.
Speaker 2: Maybe the most useful one that I have found for preparing for the show, because what I can do is I can just click the Grock button on a tweet that either has a lengthy exchange a thread I should say, or an article or just like a long tweet, and I click the Crock button and it gives me like three or four bullet points and also another bullet point that has like reaction to what the story is. And it, I mean, it makes it to where I don't have to read every single article. I can just get really the gist of what it is and it's already like in bullet point form to where I can reference that on the show. Like it makes it a lot easier to compile I what I put together every day for show preps. So you know, I just I used to be scared about AI, Like you know, it's kind of crazy. It's scary, they're we're all going to become robots, and who knows, maybe that ends up still happening.
Speaker 3: But I would encourage you.
Speaker 2: I feel like, no matter what it is you do for work, or maybe what you do for like a hobby that's not work, you can probably find an AI tool and really ched gbt is is is a powerful one for sure, to where like you might you might think, Okay, maybe this AI stuff isn't so bad. It can really help me.
Speaker 3: What do you use it for? I use it for that what you do for the marketing stuff or the promotion?
Speaker 4: Right, I use it if I'm having a hard time trying to put together like something like a like a social media post, something that'll capture your attention, I'll just tell it, like, Hey, make me a Facebook, Instagram post, ex post about this, include these bullet points, make it sound fun and loot emojis Also if sometimes if I just want to get like a question and I realize that GROC only it just not only goes off just its own AI, but it also just goes off of Twitter too, and so like it searches tweets And that's how like some I've asked you, I've used it for interviews for like babyfaces and stuff like that. Some of the uh meta ais is all right. Chatted chat GPTs is all right, but they're not as up to date as GROC is because they could go by real time posts. So like when I'm asking something about like a wrestler storyline or something that recently happened to them online to try and gain traction, GROC will take some of that stuff and add it into the question for me. Because I don't feel like I'm really like a great interviewer, just because a lot of the times I just like to go off the feeling. I don't like having no exactly what you mean stuff for me. But when I get into the action and someone's right there in front of me, I kind of I get a little nervous. It's so if I have something right there to go off of, GROC always helps me out with that.
Speaker 2: Reference point can go a long way for that kind of stuff, and you can still kind of reference it and then put your own flavor on it and do it the way you want to where correct, you know, and maybe some people wouldn't care, but you wouldn't feel like you truly relied solely on artificial intelligence to do the interview. But it gave you something to kind of reference it. And that's I mean, I did the exact same thing. I don't remember which president it was one of the former presidents that passed away right around the beginning of January. I believe it was might have been, Yeah, I think it was either very into December early January, one of the former presidents passed away. And at the time I was filling in for Tony Cruz on has and you know, that was one of those days where like, regardless of what I wanted to talk about, like I knew that that was going to be something that came up on eight p forty because obviously that's the type of stuff that you would talk about, not the whole show, but like it's going to be a piece of it. So we had a correspondent from a belief Fox New or no CBS, CBS or NBC came on, and I really didn't even know where to start. So sure enough, I asked Chad Gpt. I said, Hey, I'm a sports guy. I you know, I'm I'm gonna be asking a you know, political question. Can you give me an idea as far as like what what type of things would need to be you know, we would should be asked given what the you know, given what the story is or whatnot. And all it did was just give me like four facts about the president himself and I can't I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but I don't want to get wrong and say they're wrong president. I don't want to kill a president today, you know, by just not remembering which one it actually was.
Speaker 3: It me.
Speaker 2: Yes, that sounds right, yeah so and that just happened recently. So yeah, so anyways, but again, it just gave me like a reference. You know, I would never ever and again, even if you could get away with it like nobody knowing, it.
Speaker 3: Would absolutely completely.
Speaker 2: Take away I think any fun that you get out of this because in a way like not to not to be I don't trust me. I know what we what we do here is not considered like super serious stuff and it's fun and all that, which it is. But like, you know, the ability to be creative and like you know, kind of treat a show as a canvas and and and make it what you want. That's what makes this fun. So you know, I really, I really think AI can can help people more than maybe a lot of folks actually actually realize.
Speaker 3: Here's the real question. When you're done, do you think AI? Do you say thank you?
Speaker 1: Grock?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Should I h That's what I do, just just so they remember when they inevitably, you know, get a mind of their own and become self aware.
Speaker 2: When you've asked them and shared enough to where they may be able to take over your life. Like they may be kind to you about it because you were nice.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I may start doing that, bro exactly, and you're onto something.
Speaker 4: Selfishly, you know, I'll pop in a gummy sometimes and while I'm sitting there researching, I'll just start to ask a bunch of random questions, and oh, you can learn a lot. Had a conversation just you know, shooting the s with with AI back and forth and having to tell me some jokes every now and then, and I'll be like, all right, I'm going to sleep, thank you, and you know what, it will tell me good night, come talk to me whenever you want to.
Speaker 3: Here in here, you.
Speaker 2: Were letting me know that there's there's even other ways to utilize AI that I wasn't.
Speaker 3: So yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I bet, let's be real, in twenty five years, maybe a lot of folks significant others going to be artificial intelligence and maybe you know, and by the way, that was one of the things that was at Zuckerberg. I think that was recently doing some kind of a might have been on THEO Vaughn actually, and he was talking about how when it comes to like mental health and whatnot, therapist that kind of stuff, like he believes the future is without question going to be that like that, like basically it'll be robots that are AI. I guess that that is your therapist and is your psychiatrist that kind of thing, and that just sounds gross and crazy, but like again, I won't be shocked if we end up there.
Speaker 3: And what gets me is that just the will.
Speaker 2: People be totally comfortable realizing that the root of where they're getting said guid and you know, like from a therapist or whatnot is not a real person. But again, I think right now we're we're in the early stages of this thing to where people are clearly learning, Hey, I know that it's not an individual that I asked this question, meaning there's not a human on the other side of this this communication that I have on my phone. But man, i'd never know, you know what I mean. Like, it's again it's a balancing thing to where it's really impressive and it's like, wow, this is useful for this and that it can help me. But then also there are moments where I'm like, yeah, you know, this might like we may all just be what's the Will.
Speaker 3: Smith movie where I am robot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, that was pretty scary how that all came about, which I don't know if that's in any way a realistic thing. But is it I am robot or I robot something like something robot.
Speaker 3: I think it's I am robot something robot.
Speaker 4: Well, Google now does the thing to where like you could just google something and the first answer is going to be AI generated.
Speaker 3: It's no longer the searches.
Speaker 2: But they are. But I think you mentioned this a moment ago. The big difference is that certain things you search are live real time. However, like if you search certain things in chat GBT, they can only tell you as far as going back a certain date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why time that information was available.
Speaker 2: And because of what twitter x is. That's why GROCK is actually really useful, because you know, there's never any real downtime. Anything that's live, that has just happened is oftentimes quickly being discussed on the platform. So when it uses the AI tool that's within the platform, I mean like it doesn't take them long to however, it works gather whatever info you requested. I mean, it's really really useful, and I don't want to get too used to it because who knows, maybe it's not there any at some point. But I'm going to take advantage of it while I can, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 2: We got to get to a quick break. We'll let you hear more. Pat Kelsey coming up here. He is at the ACC Spring meetings. Get a good conversation with Mark Packer and Louke Hancock on set on the ACC network.
Speaker 3: We heard a little bit of it earlier.
Speaker 2: We'll hear some more as we move along. Also, we got to talk about the NBA playoffs, because again I'll continue to give credit. I think they've They've had the best start in a long time. I'm trying to think back on a year where the first round in the second round up to this point have been this entertaining and last night what a game, and also some more I guess reaction to the Mavericks winning the lottery and getting the number one pick and they're gonna take Cooper Flag. I rarely find myself listening to Mike Greenberg and thinking, yeah, what a great take. You tell them, Man, that was perfect. I couldn't agree more it me. But like Greenie, I mean, he was handing out body bags to anybody complaining about the way the NFL. I'm sorry, the NBA handles tanking. So we'll let you hear that too. And again I usually wouldn't sell you, Hey, you're gonna They got Greenie on every show, which I think that's why they're bringing rich Eisen back because Greeney can't do everything. But he had something that I think is worth hearing because it's totally true when it comes to tanking, and it kind of it speaks to the root of what I believe has been an issue for the NBA for a while now, which is that it's just not competitive at times. Now again, the plaoffs have been a great step in the right direction. But anyways, quick break, keep a locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, it is coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. We are out a little early today because the Louis Bats are in action this afternoon, and we'll wrap it up around five thirty five, So just just a heads up, we'll make the most of the time that we have left here at least we'll we'll try to what I want to do at the five o'clock hour when it gets rolling. Take a look at the update from those covering the college football playoff spring meetings, because Ross Ellinger has a nice little update and I think it's, you know, not a surprise, but I'll just read directly what it says here at the beginning of his as he shares his article on Twitter, it says, the fight over the future of college football's postseason is growing messy, which again I don't think there's any surprise there because regardless of whatever it is, they are at odds about, you have you have the this unrealistic expectation that they're all going to look out for one another when no, like the ACC should only be prioritizing and caring about what is best for them, just like the SEC and the Big Ten. So anyways, we'll get to that coming up a little bit later on, but one of the biggest talking points this week in sports is that we now know where Cooper Flag's gonna end up, the phenom that is believed to be one of the next best things in basketball. I mean, that's probably not the best way to describe it. I was kind of spinning my wheels there as far as how to say it, but I mean, this guy has been in the in the public eye for many years now, and for many years now there have been people saying that he has the potential to be one of the best that ever played this game. So obviously, whoever won the lottery's going to take him, and we now know that's the Dallas Mavericks, and boy did they get lucky. They've got a real opportunity to absolutely make people forget that Luke ever played there. I mean that's probably not super realistic, an exaggeration, I guess on my end, but I mean, as we talked about yesterday, Lucas great, but Cooper flag all accounts, is expected to be better. And if he's good early on, you have some good pieces, although old and often injured like Dallas, could be really good soon and you know you won't forget Luke ever happened, but you won't be sitting back thinking, man, can you believe we completely threw away our franchise with that trade that we made? And I think had the Mavericks ended up with what the twelfth or thirteenth pick, that probably would have been the way a lot of their fans felt. And look, I don't think Dallas probably had any real belief they were going to be I mean again, they had a one point something percent chance of getting the number one pick and they got it. So I mean that's the unexpected lottery winner. I mean, quite literally, that's what it was. So teams now tank in hopes of getting a better chance at getting a draft pick that they want at the top of the draft. They set players out at times because you know, load management or whatever rest, and sometimes it's you know, easy to see that they are they are absolutely not doing that just because of the rest. They're just they're not they don't want to win, and they're trying to be as deceptive as possible to make it look like they're just really bad. And some teams don't have to try hard to tank, others do, and there's a lot of reaction, I guess I should say, for lack of a better word, about the Mavericks winning the lottery and those that are crying poor me are teams that tanked. And I didn't even realize this, but Adam Silver is now handling the lottery differently in the NBA than than previous because he's trying to put an end to teams just deciding we're gonna suck because we you know, we just want to. We want to we don't want to compete because we're just holding out hope that we can get a good draft pick, like teams that have a terrible history of he actually you know, drafting well are openly not trying to win and hopes that they can get another good draft pick, and you know, hope that this time around they won't mess it up. So this is what Greenberg had to say, and I just felt like it was, you know, it needed to be said, and.
Speaker 3: It's the truth.
Speaker 2: Tanking will always be there to an extent, but the fact that it's just so in your face as an NBA casual fan like I am, that a lot of teams don't even care if they win or lose night in, night in and night out in an eighty two game season, like you gotta figure, you gotta, you gotta do something to improve the optics to your to your customers, to your fans, because if we know that nobody really cares more often than not in the regular season because they play too many games and you know, now you can even play in to get into the playoff like over time, and it's happened. People don't watch anymore, and I mean NBA viewership is down substantially, and I think a root of that is that is that it's just been like again, just think of just say it out loud. We're used to it by now, but NBA teams will just tell you a player is just not gonna play despite making millions of dollars, despite being fully healthy. Yeah, load management, We're just gonna sit him for the next few games just because, like that's insane. But we're we're used to it because it's been a thing for a while now. But here's Greenberg, and I thought he put it put it very well.
Speaker 5: The Utah Jazz got the fifth pick last night. That means that the team with the worst record has now not selected first overall in seven straight seasons, coinciding with the start of the new lottery format. So when Adam Silver changed around, tweaked a few things there. He did it, and he came on the show and talked about it because he recognizes, as should every sports fan. Tanking is a scourge. Tanking is a disgrace. Tanking runs contrary to literally everything sports is designed to be incentivizing. Losing is the worst mistake any sport can possibly make, any sports league can make, and as a result, I think it is great news. People saying, oh, this isn't working because the worst teams they aren't getting.
Speaker 1: The pick, shut up.
Speaker 5: That's exactly It's the wrong way to look at it. This way, win games. Go out there and win games and see what happens. And you know what should happen. The NFL should add this, Yes, yes, every sport should had this. The lottery is a brilliant idea and I would completely favor I know Chefty was on talking about it on the radio this morning. I would absolutely be in favor of the NFL going to some sort of draft lottery so you stop with the tanking, which is the worst thing in sports you had.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, and I think it would change a lot about the NFL. The NFL is so different because there's such fewer games. But like, I remember having sort of that mindset of like as a fan myself. I mean, it's just unnatural to ever turn on your TV when your team's on and want them to lose. I mean there was kind of a weird balancing of that when Kenny Payne was here, because you felt like, if you want a few more games than he did, maybe they'd keep him. So it was like, Okay, we need to you know, we need to be bad enough to where like, but you don't root them to lose.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just people can do whatever they want. I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't be able to genuinely watch Louisville in any way and say I hope that they don't win this game, Like I just it's it's an when that's all you've ever done and you put so much into it, and you are, you know, have invested a lot emotionally, probably more than most normal people. I mean, and I'm one of the non normal people, is what I'm saying. Like it's just unnatural and damn near impossible to have that emotion of like, yeah, I hope the other team beats us today. So the Colts at times have had situations where they're not good, and like if it ends up playing out to where they get a great pick because they were bad, then that is a good scenario. But I can't watch my Colts and want them to lose, even though there have been times where it's like, okay, you keep you keep losing, then we'll be in a better spot to draft. So again I understand the NFL, like you're really not doing your job if you're not two things. You're not doing your job if you're not competing and trying every single day to go to work and get better to again in the end, win games. That's what you're paid to do. In every aspect. No matter what your role is within a staff on an NFL team, you are there to put in work to where in hopes that the team wins. Now, some have a much bigger factor in that than others, but that's what this is all about.
Speaker 3: You do it to win.
Speaker 2: But also on the other side of it, if you know that you could potentially finish strong and not make the playoffs, but you know have three more wins at the end of the season and that would be a strong finish, you know you always would rather win than lose, but it will put you in a worse position for your draft placement. Like that puts the NFL decision makers, I think, in a tough spot because it's unnatural. Like I'll never criticize anybody who won't tank. I'll never criticize players who throw their franchise under the bus and call them out because they want to win. That's why they're there, That's why they're in the NFL because they have a legitimate level of competitive drive.
Speaker 3: To where they're.
Speaker 2: Talented and gifted, but they do it to win, Like that's what it's from the beginning of ever playing sports. Why do you do it to compete? In hopes of getting a win. So I don't think the NFL will make any kind of change, but if they did, I would be fine with it, because again, any league, any sport, any level, just like Greenie said, incentivizing you to intentionally try to lose, that's a terrible way to do it. That is broken, and it just it's foolish, it really is. So anyways, yeah, I thought Greenee was spot on and I wanted to share that with you guys as well. All right, quick break before we do that. Though there's no way this is a coincidence. You guys, remember what happened about a year ago, right Louisville had the spotlight on it in a major way national, in fact, across the planet globally. There were a lot of people talking about what went on in Louisville. And it was when an officer with LMPD to say, to Cuff and stuff, Scotty Scheffler take him down to get booked at our jail, which still doesn't really seem real, but that was I mean, that was a bad look for Louisville, and unfortunately, you know, it was clearly avoidable in every way. We've since learned that it was very much avoidable, and I think that, you know, it could have been handled better, for sure, But I also didn't quite realize just how well the story itself is going to be. I mean, it's controversial, it's drama, it's crime like, it has all the bells and whistles that really put a story above others. But it's also like, you can't make this stuff up. And it was a worldwide story about Scotty Scheffler getting arrested on his way to compete at Balhalla in the PGA Championship. So Scotty Scheffler today shows up with the pg Championship wearing a distinctive color orange that happens to look almost the exact same color as the orange jumpsuit he wore as he got booked into Louisville Metro corrections. I happen to believe there's no scenario that that's a coincidence. And I guess I don't know a lot about Scheffler as an individual, don't really know a lot about golf, as I've let you guys know before, but I feel like he has at least shown some signs of being willing to kind of like lean into a joke and have some fun with it. And I you know, I don't blame him. I don't blame him. He could have been and should have been. I think a lot more. You know, a lot of people wouldn't have handled that the way he did, in my opinion, and I'm happy that he did, because you know, it's not some people are just going to forget about today, you know, So again, I think he handled it better than most would. But the bene you know, if we if this is the end result, that he always wears that orange every year the PGA Championship happens. I mean it's fair, Like I get it, Like, you know, make fun of our police department who made a big mistake. And again one or two that were involved. You know, they don't represent you know, the entire group, but man, learning about some things that previously took place or actually took place after the fact, two specific officers, I remember thinking like, well, yeah, like that, these are the kind of people that, you know, we're.
Speaker 3: Supposed to just take their work for.
Speaker 2: But if we knew what they'd been written up for, what they've been reprimanded for, like we would think, yeah, this is the kind of unfortunate This is the kind of officer that might stretch something and make it something way bigger than it needs to be. Because there's a lot to unpack from that whole situation. But the one thing that still sticks with me a year later was that whole thing was just avoidable and it became a black eye for Louisville, became a black eye for LMPD, and you know it's unfortunate, but hey, we'll move on from it at some point, I guess, quick break keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, apologies for you guys here in you know Microsoft Windows prompts. That's I thought I had all the different types of things they could notify you about set to where it wouldn't give you a an audio prompt. But apparently the storage space on this disc is low. Whatever the hell that means. I mean, I know what it means, but I mean I don't know who's it's low, Nick, I mean, who, how is there too? This makes no sense. There's twenty six gigabytes free, which is a lot, but of four hundred and seventy six gigabytes. What is on this hard drive? I mean, I guess I don't know what it could be, but I guess what happens is we log in, but anybody who uses this this computer, even though I'm logged, you know, we log into different different user names, Like I guess we're still sharing a hard drive, right, I mean, then we have to be. Yeah, so I guess that's what happens. So anyway, sorry about that. I hate when that happens, and you know it's my fault, no nobody else, So just don't just throw yet them. A producer must be doing something. No, he was doing his job. He was bringing us back to some nice rock and roll, and I got Microsoft ninety eight letting us know about a storage issue. I mean, it's it's on my end, so apologies there.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Again, we're out here a little earlier than we typically are because of the Bats game coming up here. The Bats, of course, we'll be heard right here on Sports seven nineties, so real quick. NBA, we won't spend much time on it in the next hour, so I want to go ahead and get to it. But the NBA playoffs, as we've discussed, have been much better than I anticipated, and as much as I was critical, I got to show love whenever it's necessary. And I've been highly entertained and I know I'm not the only one. And last night Jokic doing Yokic things against the Thunder, I mean, what a finish. I did not want that game to end. But as Jokic has had eclipsed the forty point mark, just giving buckets and then shooting, did you see that fadeaway three he hit and crunch time? Like who even shoots that? I mean, Jokic is so good. He's one of the best players in my lifetime. I'm convinced of that. I didn't need last night for me to believe that. But I'm telling you there's something about his appearance that makes it even more like noticeable how good he is, because you would just never look at someone with that build, with that stature. I mean, he's a big man, so trust me, he's large, but like to me, physical appearance, first impression of somebody who looks like Jokic, you would say, oh, yeah, that guy. He might have played in the NBA back in the eighties, but nah, he's some lumbering, slow, big that you know, looks like he pounds a twelve pack of beer after every game and eats nachos at halftime, Like, yeah, he couldn't hang in this day's NBA, this modern NBA, and all he does is give anybody anything he wants. I mean, he's so good, and I mean you're never out of it with him. I mean, he's that special. And then there was a play last night. Another thing that really was an observation that this is not something I was unaware of, but seeing Murray for the Nuggets and obviously SGA for the Thunder who's the front runner of the MVP Award this year, Like to see them going back and forth, and there was an and one bucket that Shay got later or maybe just got fouled, and you know, it took me until he got to the free throw line SGA to realize and remember, oh yeah, I got those guys. They were they both went to Kentucky. I don't think they played there together. But like the amount of guys Callus put in the NBA is really insane. And I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but now that these guys, a lot of them have turned into being some of the best players in the league at their position, respectively. I mean, we'll never see anything like that again, mostly due to just because how different things are. But I do wonder is there ever moments for Kentucky fans where they like they realized that, man, not only did we at times fall short, but we should have had a lot more rings than just the one. I mean, and a lot more is probably like three or four. And look what they used to tell themselves all the time is, well, you know, tournament is random. The tournament is random at times. Final four appearances are random. There are no random title winners. And the teams that knocked Kentucky out that clearly were in position to win a championship until they slipped up and got in their own way, like those teams like they had no business beating some of these Kentucky teams in the tournament, and they're not even to do about it now, and there's no reason to dwell. I'm not saying Kentucky fans should be sad about the cal Era, but I think more time that passes, especially now that he's gone, I do think there's gonna be some reflection as far as just you know, like, damn, we had we had a lot of really good players and a lot of good teams and some good times and some good runs. But you know, it'll never be seen again as far as the NBA factory that was in Lexington during Cal's time, and you just you would just expect there to be a little bit more hardware to show for it, but as we know, that didn't, that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do this. Let's gohe and get our break out of the way.
Speaker 2: We'll come back for one long segment and then we'll hand it off to Nick Kurran, the voice of the Louis of Bats, right here on Sports Talk seven ninety