Speaker 1: Welcome to Stories of Special Forces Operators Podcast. Listen to some of the bravest and toughest people on the planet share their stories, Sit back and enjoy.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to everybody. Well, we have another great returning guest, Bob Keller. He was in the units by the way, folks, you can find more about him at Keller k E W L E R gammeut GA, m Ut Resolutions, Keller, Gammut Resolutions. You can also go to his website gammut resolutions dot com. And you can also if you're down in Tampa, Florida, check out Range works now works.
Speaker 3: As we r X.
Speaker 2: So if you're visiting Tampa thinking about visiting Tampa, I would stop by if I was you so, because today we're going to be learning how to shoot the right way with proven combat shooting technique. Training with Bob Today, we're gonna learn a little bit about that, a little bit about psychology. Hey, do you ever wonder what it takes to get into the unit. We'll find out more about that as well. Before we get started. To make sure to share subscribe it they like, but you know, we like it and that's not wasting one time. Welcome to the show, Bob, Welcome back, Bob, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me back, and I field I feel like I was back ten minutes ago. That's that's right. Come put on another podcast with you.
Speaker 2: You know, we just did a podcast folks with John Stryker Meyer the macv SAG probably see him on. Jock o' willick and Bob did a great, great thing and came in to surprise us and visit us. They were just talking highly about the unit. Bob, that's a funny thing. They were just saying, how amazing these guys worrying and said, I'll be damned, I got the guys coming on and then boom there were Yeah, you lit their faces up, that's for sure. There was like it's like a parties like that time when you had that. Your buddies came on too. That was like a wild one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those those usually do really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the top ten podcasts we've ever had. Yeah, you guys, that was a crazy one.
Speaker 3: And it really is the way to do it because when it comes to stories like I'm horrible like remembering things. I mean, so every year it gets worse.
Speaker 2: But when you get you had the one guy that you guys were all crutching on the one guy who remembers everything.
Speaker 3: I forgot his name. Yeah, that's Nate. So it's awesome to get, you know, everything, like once a year, twice a year to do stuff like this because he'll remember the missions and like like, once I hear it, I'll remember it. But I wouldn't be able Like if you just said, you know, talk about six missions drafted bat, I mean, it'll probably take me a week to remember six missions like all the way through, you know, but you know, Nate, he was one of He's one of those guys that has a good memory. So it is fun to do, uh, to do these podcasts with multiple guys because that one or two missions you remember, they might not remember, and then once you start talking about it, then everyone remembers it, and you know it's I was.
Speaker 2: Like, who was the other gentleman? I forgot his name?
Speaker 3: Sure, Gilly.
Speaker 2: That was cracking me up on that one because remember Nate was late about twenty minutes and you guys were freaking You're like, oh, the one has.
Speaker 3: Got the stories and where was Nate exactly? I was like, where the hell is Nate? Yeah, because because Brian he doesn't have a good memory either, so it's like you gotta have that third or four of the guy that remembers everything.
Speaker 2: For the fifteen minutes, it was like, yeah, I remember what was that? Oh yeah, well who was that? It's like, oh, I was gonna be frustrating.
Speaker 3: It was funny, I was. We we did another one a couple months ago, and he brought up a story that I had totally forgot about, and so it was cool for me, Like, as he's talking about I'm like, holy crap. I was like, I do remember that, but I hadn't. I hadn't talked about that one like that one would have been often books forever, you know, I would have never never remembered it. So it was really cool, you know, to do it again and to hear here new stuff that.
Speaker 4: I just totally forgot. How long were you with THEE together, uh, ten years? That's why you probably wait went fifty missions? Forty missions.
Speaker 3: It was over eight hundred with with eight. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're kind of okay, I'm thinking of deployments mostly. Okay, so you're kind of like you're going on missions like every other week. We'll probably have two a week or three a week or something like that.
Speaker 3: We'd do to a day to a day. Oh it was, it was crazy. And then that's why I went there. It's like, that's right. Like my SF deployment was my which was my first deployment, was a great, great deployment, great experience. I wouldn't take like if I if I had to do again, I'd go back the same thing, just different, totally different mission set. So to be able to say that I was that I actually did the true SF mission overseas, you know, in a combat zone. But you can't. That's awesome. I wouldn't. I would never go back and change that. But it wasn't that you weren't doing missions every night, and that would have been one of those one of those things where it was maybe once once or twice a week, you know, if you were lucky. So like that that first time that I actually got in a gun fight or you know, I actually got shot at and realized that I liked it and this is for me, this is my life. After that deployment or during that deployment, I was like I wanted more. So that was the one the reason why I went to the unit. Some people I've heard which I think that was on that last one we talked about or this this not with you, but this last one, I was a Gilly and Natos and this is the first time I'd have heard this. Some guys at the unit like went to the unit because they knew everyone there was the best and it like so if they're going to be in the military and overseas and they have to fight, they want to fight with the best people, right, Like it almost made them more comfortable. So when I heard that, I was like, that's crazy, Like I had never thought of that. My whole reason for going to the unit was to get more gunfights. Like that was the only reason I could have cared less if guys were switched on or if guys were you know, like safer and safer to be around. Like I knew that they were getting on, So that's where I wanted to go.
Speaker 2: So that's an interesting Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like going back to like the mission wise, Yeah, I mean there was some nights or some days, like weeks, weeks in a row. We're going on two missions a day, so.
Speaker 2: We literally we literally touched the tip of the iceberg of your missions. Yeah, we're not even.
Speaker 3: Close to And that's and That's what's crazy, Like all the times you go out there, like there's no way and maybe if it was like a traumatic experience for people, they're going to remember it more, but like for me, it was just a normal job, you know, like if you went out on a mission and nothing happened, well that just flushed from my brain, Like I wouldn't even wouldn't even think twice about them, right, I'm not going to remember all of them. But yeah, it's crazy how like people always like I think, I think people that are that got there after me, or guys that weren't there during the heat of it, you know, when they hear like eight hundred missions or a thousand missions, like there's no way, there's no way that you were on eight hundred missions or what we call them hits, And you think about it if you're going out, so you're over there for four months at a time, and you like I have with with the unit twelve I think twelve deployments with them, so you got to think four months however many days that is, and then you take that over fourteen fourteen deployments if you add up if you're going on even if you were just going out once a day that quick, and it really and it comes down to like what troop you're in, what squadron you're in, do like it's it's eluck thing. It's kind of like win the lottery, like if you get over and you happen to be at that perfect spot you know for that trip and there's stuff going on, like it's it's just blowing up, like there's stuff every night to hit. Well, that's the missions start adding up real quick. So I got, I got. I was very fortunate to be the way that I am and wanting those missions, like to be in the troops and the squadron that I was that I was in for my whole career. Or some people, I'm sure we're getting burnt out, you know, like if they're getting over there and then then you're going out twice twice a night or every every day that I'm sure some people were like this is stupid. But to me, I liked it and everyone that I worked with that I knew it was the same thing.
Speaker 5: Like it it was never like we have another one, like right, uh yeah, if you're lucky.
Speaker 3: I'd say five, five or six if you're lucky, and then it usually was like.
Speaker 2: Four or five, and Nate and Gilly were with you most of the time. Yeah, yep, okay, you had one other guy I think or something you mentioned before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I probably was probably was Bron.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever done any podcasts with him.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned some other guy. I know there was. There was I don't know if it was him or not. There was one guy you guys laughed a little bit about because he was kind of I think he came in at the end or something like that. I can't remember now. Yeah. See, that's why that's why I need two other guys. Well, you know what I'll do. I'll talk to Sean if you're up for will you do another one with Sean? That Tier one? He he really admires you guys too. When he was working in Canada, he was the guy who met on the John Striker Show. So we're doing a lot. We're kind of revisiting a lot of the guys I mentioned before because I used to get a lot of flack. Why are you doing these podcasts? You're not military? And I do it because I wanted to learn myself, and I look at it psychologically, it's different. You guys are different. There was no doubt about it. Yeah, And I even show my classes some of you guys, and I was like, show them, look, look at this guy. But I show him and say, listen to their stories and how resilient people can be. Yeah, because it blows their mind every time they hear. You know, Ryan Hendrickson, he's the Green Beret that stepped in the I ED and lost his leg.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it sounds familiar, but that's that's kind of a normal last name, so maybe I've heard it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he stepped in I D lost his leg and they told him you're done, and he got He got deployed again two years later. Yea, which is amazing. It's like, whoa, you actually went back they said, Yeah, they told me forget it, just hang it up and h.
Speaker 3: Whoa.
Speaker 2: That's intense stuff there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's kind of revisiting some of these stories. So yeah, it'd be great we can try to get you guys back on again and and have it because he provides a little bit of a different angle than I do. I looked at the psychology of it, but he'll provide more of the operator stuff and he'll say, well, what did you guys do here whatever it is, you know how it goes. Yeah, that'll be fascinating.
Speaker 3: But I think the psychology part does come and to play a bit, you know, big, big time.
Speaker 6: Being to being at or to being at that level, not only operationally, but I mean just just staying there that long, you know, I mean, you got to you have the right mindset.
Speaker 3: You truly have to love what you're doing, because I mean that the burnout rate would be just would be huge.
Speaker 2: You're you almost sound like when I when I've been a new cops and I have a lot of cop friends, and I asked them. I used to ask night. I'm not stupid, so I used to ask the questions like anything stand out in your career? And then it becomes the exact same situation as you and they're like, yeah, about two thousand things stand out and my career because every night is about five things. You're like, what the hell happened here?
Speaker 3: Yep? Exactly that That is kind of how it would be it. Man, if you're talking about they're on Yeah, the stuff that they get to see every single day, there's no way you can remember everything, right, So yeah, but when it comes to missions, it's it's it was the it was like the Big Ones or you know, where something really bad happened that sticks out. But even to me, like I just never I never thought of it as a big deal, you know, Like I mean there was it would be funny to have my wife here, Like there was one where where two guys got shot on target. One of them was my really good buddy and are my wife and his wife were good friends. Well he gets shot, you know, we we send him on, send them on the bird. They ship off to Germany.
Speaker 7: You know, to surgery and everything, and like to us, even though he's my really good buddy, I didn't think anything of it.
Speaker 3: I'm just not like that's that's the game that we played every single time that we go on target. We can get shot and you accept it, and you accept that anyone else can get a shot. So when someone gets shot and you've already accepted it, it's not a big deal. It's like we finished the mission, you know what. I went back that night, didn't even think about like calling my wife and saying, you know this, you know, I'm not gonna say his name, but you know he'd been shot. Because I didn't think it was a big deal. Well, it just happened to be, like, my wife called his wife just just out of the blue, and she was like, I just got a you know, a phone call from you know, the army, and this is what happened. So now my wife knows that I'm on target with him, right, So she's wondering what the heck happened, you know, she's freaking out, and you know, I'm back there, probably watching a movie, not even thinking twice about it. Well, I happened to call her like that either that night or the next night or a couple of nights later, you know, and she's like, so, did anything, you know, did anything happen last night? And I was like, I don't know why, you know, like she was acting weird, and then she was like, I know what happened. She was like, oh, she was mad that I didn't let her know. And it wasn't that I was trying to hide it. I just didn't think it was a big deal. It was just another mission. Did you think people people get hurt, people die, people get shot, And that's that might sound kind of harsh or like, you know, cold hearted, but that's just how we are, you know. I mean we're not. We're not gonna dwell on Like if someone dies in front of us, We're not gonna dwell on that, you know, the next day or or ten years later. I mean, that's that's the game that we play, that's the game that we wanted to be in.
Speaker 2: We use that. It's kind of interesting when you use that analogy, because that's exactly what you sounded like to me. You sound are you a baseball fan, no basketball fan, no football?
Speaker 8: That's not it to me?
Speaker 2: Like a bay I'm gonna go back to baseball, then forget it, but it's not up to me. Like you're a baseball player and one of your teammates, Polls is Pools is Hammy, all right, next you know who's taking over him? That's about it, Because it sounds like you just kind of not worry about it. Maybe you fall, maybe you don't, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm not totally coldhearted. I mean, yeah, I don't want people to die, but I'm not that's not gonna affect me. I'm not gonna go back and you know, cry on my pillow because someone someone got killed or someone got shot. I mean I would think we almost look at it like, hey, now we're down a guy. You know, now we're down a good guy, and you know, how do we how do we make up for that now? But you almost truly was all about the next mission.
Speaker 2: And you almost have to when you can't go on with your mindset wondering about you getting killed next because that's not going to make you very effective, is it. Nope? Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that that is the difference between some people and others is like like a guy like me, I just and that's I don't I don't have I don't have any problems, you know, mentally getting out because I just that wasn't that. For one, I was never I was never afraid on any mission. I went on like I didn't go over seas and ever think I don't want to die, Like I just accepted I was going to get killed. Really from from almost day one of my first deployment, just accept them I'm not coming back. Well, if you can truly accept that, you're not going to be scared when when you know when bad things happen, and then you're not going to dwell on them in the past because if if it's a traumatic like scary situation, I think that's where the what do they call it now, the PTS or pt P. I think of this PTS whatever, like like I can I can see that happening. If that if that's a scary moment, and then you're replaying that in your head every single day, Well that's that's going to affect you, right, But to me, it like I just the next day, I let it go. It was the next it was the next day, it was the next mission. Like, I'm not thinking of what happened on that last mission, like, oh, two guys got shot. It could be me next. I didn't care, so amazing, which which I think helped me out a lot, especially now you know, being retired, I don't. I don't. There's no I don't ever. I don't ever look back and like feel like say o, I'm so I'm so lucky that I didn't get shot. I didn't get killed nothing ever, because I never I never thought about that when I was there, So I'm not going to think about it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right in PTSD, obviously, it's just different. Everybody's got different upbringings, different storylines, and different ways of thinking, so it affects people differently. I mean we folks, but it's just different.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, Like I would never I would never say anything bad about someone that's saying they have it, but like to me that it was just never never affected me because I wanted to be in that situation.
Speaker 2: How many you think in the univer like that quite a bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, And it's it's funny there. You don't. You're not friends with everyone. Everyone always thinks like everyone knows each other. You barely know many people. It's just the people that you actually train with and you go over seas with. And I mean, and that's another thing. Being fortunate to be on the right troop and the right squadron my whole career, Like everyone I worked with was like minded, like like on like on like how I was. I might be, I might be to the extreme of that, but it was all guys that wanted to be there. That's that's what's so cool like about that place, you know, like in wartime to being being around that many people that that had no fear and that actually wanted to be there, Like that's that's just awesome stuff that it would have been. It would have been cool to ask what was what was the the the guy's name, oh, John Schriker like it. It would have been cool to see if if he felt the same way like the guys that he went on you know, target with every night over in Vietnam, if that was the same feeling, or you know, we're some guys leary of you know, being there.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to see if we approach that or not, you know what that could be.
Speaker 3: That'd be that'd be that would be a cool one to see the difference of back then when it was a draft and who you know, we're guys just going there because they thought it was the best place to be and that you know that they have a better chance being you know, being on a team with a bunch of people, but still had fear or was everyone like like I'm explained, was like how it was at the unit. It'd be cool. It'd be interesting to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there was a little bit of that. He mentioned sometimes that some of the guys, most of the guys he just said, they didn't think about it. They just did what they had to do and that was the end of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one guy I think was one of the first guys he calls a Halo, high altitude low something or other yep, And he was the first guy to do it, and they were just doing it. It was about the end of it. It wasn't like we know what's going to happen. It's like, no, they just did it. I was like, really was And I asked him what kind of mindset did this guy have? Because he just didn't give a shit about anything.
Speaker 3: He just did it.
Speaker 2: That was the end of it. He didn't worry about it. How is Michael leg gonna hurt my toe, gonna get stuffed? He just did it.
Speaker 3: That was the end of it.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, all right, Yeah, I think a way to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be interesting to do a show with I wish I would have been able to jump on earlier.
Speaker 2: We can redo that one. I think it'd be a great one to have you, him, you and him on again, and then maybe even Nate and Gilly. We got to get Nate the least speaking remember, and I think that'd be a fascinating show.
Speaker 3: I apologize everyone on my memory.
Speaker 2: I still know some stories, but no, it's all right. Today it's kind of more of a different more about you, and I think I like the direction already we're going because the mindset is so different when people ask you. I'm going to ask you this question in a minute. But before I get to ask you that question, I won't see if you've ever heard of that phrase, and see if it resonates in the world of sports, there's a phrase that says, some people argue whether it's the athlete that picks the sport or the sport picks the athlete. So ballerinas tend to be long and lanky, So is it the sport that's actually picking those girls? And the guys so look like that already or do they turn into that whatever? But I'm wondering if the unit's the same way, is it the unit that's picking those guys or is it the guy picking the unit? And I get the funny feeling it might be the unit picking those guys. And in other words, you have to be a certain mindset to be able to deal.
Speaker 3: With that, and no one knows. No one knows the secret to that, so I can't talk about like how they select, which is awesome. I mean, that's like that's like one of the secrets that no one, no one has been told, you know, besides the people that are there's there's only real people at a given time. Yeah, but you still you still have to pick like you And that's that was the difference. That's why to be funny or it'd be cool to see the difference between like Vietnam and you know, the Special Ops in Vietnam compared to the Special Ops when when I was going overseas, because like when after after a couple of years of fighting, the unit was getting people that had already been overseas and they already realized they liked it, right, They they already knew that they like gunfighter. So the guys that we were getting, you know, are you're they're coming over not because they think it's just because it's a better unit and they and they think it's cool. They're going there because they know that that's they're they're gonna be getting it on a lot more like they're gonna be going on way more missions. Right, So, like the vetting process on the guys picking the unit is better because you know, almost almost every single guy after the after like the first four or five years that were coming to the unit, we're going there with experience. So they had already been in a gunfighter too, they already knew that they wanted more. You know, it wasn't like pre nine eleven when guys were going to the unit. They were going there like thinking that they that they would like it, but they'd never been in a gunfight. They didn't know.
Speaker 2: Oh like Somalia's black Hawk down the Operation Gothic Serpent thing, a lot of those guys hadn't gone yet.
Speaker 3: Right, So so it would have been it had been harder to pick. It would have been harder to get the right person that's picking the unit because they only know, Like if you've never been in a gunfight, you might think you want to be in a gunfight, but until you actually in a gunfight, you're not gonna know if you like it or not. So after, you know, three or four years after nine to eleven, we were getting people that knew they already liked gunfighting. Interesting, you know what I'm saying. So so it was it was an easier vetting process on the mindset of that compared to Prena eleven. But now, like the unit picking the right person, no one knows the secret like on on what they're what they're truly looking for, which I think is awesome Yeah, that's that's that's great that you know a guy that like me who had been there ten years, and guys that have been there fifteen twenty years, if they weren't in that position of the you know, to know what they're selecting for no one else, which is which is cool. It's a great secret.
Speaker 2: By the way, folks, again we're talking to Bob Killer. Can learn more about him at Gamut Resolutions gamut resolutions dot com. Also, if you're down in Tampa, Florida, can check out Range Works WRX and see what's going on down there, because we're gonna be you know what. It is kind of a I don't know if you know, probably not because I haven't talked to you for a little bit. But I'm getting another doctor in an exercise science and I'm seeing a lot of overlap here. And what I mean by that is it might take about ten second twenty seconds for me to collaborate on this. But what I'm seeing is the mentality you're describing right now. I can see the benefit it has for you. In other words, if you're not worried about getting shot, if you're not worried about dying, you're only worried about one thing winning this gunfight. Yep. That really takes a lot of distractions out because just like a baseball player, an athlete or mixed martial artists. I'm a big fan of UFC, if they're worried about getting hit, they're worried about getting mounted. Now they got two things operating.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So am I right on that there is the same thing for you guys, Absolutely, Yeah, because I can't send that effective for you if you're worried about getting shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's man and being on target, especially like once you get into like the two I se second in charge or first in charge team later like you're making judgment calls, right, So you can't be on target worrying about getting shot. Like you got to be thinking about the situation in front of you, which is the gunflight. You know, where your guys are gonna go, what door you're gonna go, where you're gonna send your guys. So there's a lot of thinking involved on being on target. So yeah, if you take the fear out of it and you can just it's like it's kind of like playing a game, right and you're you're calling plates. But if you can do that calm and not having to work, you know, not having that fear. It definitely makes it easier. Absolutely absolutely applies.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you train that. I'm thinking of the back of my head. Have you used anything like that for your training when you train individuals? Obviously more advanced, But do you say, all right, we're gonna have a guy over there, he's gonna be shooting red pellets at you while you're trying to hit the target and you're moving. So now you have somebody moving and somebody getting worried about getting hit with the target. And if you get hit with the target, you're out. We move to the next person. Have you done that before?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well not not in my training.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't do any SIMS stuff where it's semunitions being shy.
Speaker 8: Not that that's a bad thing, but but it is easy. Like I do a class which I got another one coming up in the September. It's called Shooting Save and it's it's medical training along with shooting. But at the end of the second day we actually put the guys whose scenarios whether now they're doing like live fire with other people shooting around them live fire, and then they're we're incorporating the med stuff into it, and that's where it is. It's interesting to watch because I'll do all the shooting stuff, and then I bring another company in to do all the med stuff, and like I'll see guys that are just switched on, like on the shooting side right Like you can tell this guy's he knows what he's doing, like on the you know, weapons hand lane and shooting, and then you you put them into a live fire scenario med like med scenario, and and guys just shooting right next to him and then all of a sudden, you're like, all right, you're right leg shot. And then and then after he puts the turn to get on, you're like, all right, now that the mannequin has a sucking chess wind or something, you know. And to watch these guys that were switched on shooting to now just totally fall apart because their mind is now thinking of something else. It's it's pretty interesting to see h like not being able to stay calm. And they know it's training, it's not real keep, but people really get into it, like really get into it, and they're so worried about the med stuff and us yelling at him saying, you know, this is happening, and then you got you got threat left right right, and now they're trying to make shots and they're still thinking about what they were supposed to be doing to the to the patient. Like it basically all everything falls apart, which is it's it's but it's cool for them to see that, you know, like what they were doing perfect on the flat range when all they had to do is think about the shooting to now only have to think about multiple things, multiple like med stuff and shooting and people shooting around them. It's a it's a good eye opener for people to be Holy crap, I would have never thought it was that stressful, you know, when you incorporate other things than just shooting.
Speaker 2: So does it end for them? In other words, is there like an object an objective in the sense of you got to this guy and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah they got yeah, and we I mean, it's it's basically just a lane. So like the mannequins are out in front, they have to go to go to get the mannequins. They kind of got to come up with their own plan because we send them as a team. And then they once they get the mannequins back and everyone's treated, then we we index from there.
Speaker 2: But can they get ended if they get shot themselves, and that's it so if they failed the mission.
Speaker 3: No, it's not like a mission. I mean, it's just it's it's literally just the lane. But I mean, like if like I'll be in charge of the shooting guys, like the guys that are shooting, so I'll be like, they'll have barriers where where they're bringing the mannequins to the treatment, you know, and if someone if I say threat left, and two guys pop out from behind cover and start shooting when they could have used the cover, Like I'll just say, okay, now your left arm shot or your left leg shot because you weren't shooting behind cover. You know. But that's the stuff people don't think about, like because and that's it's it's kind of it's kind of can because no one's shooting back at them, so you know they will, they'll they'll pop out behind cover when they probably wouldn't if it was live. But you never know that they don't even think about it. Like sometimes I'll say your left leg shot and here's the reason why, and they they don't even realize that they weren't shooting from behind cover.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. It's kind of like sometimes it sounds like mixed martial arts. You do, any martial arts that you did, I did, yeah, boxing or something I did.
Speaker 3: I ended up ended up doing pretty much nothing butt boxing, so I was I would say I got pretty big into Brazilian jiu jitsu and then did I would say I got the unit more of the mixed martial arts, like combining both. But my just from all the grappling, my elbows were just totally shot. Yeah. I mean we would get to the point where I couldn't even shake someone's hand, okay, and I couldn't hold a pistol. So I stopped grappling and just went to straight up, you know, stand up boxing.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason I say is because the analogy seems similar to when people are learning how to box and they're trying to teach them how to throw a punch, and they throw a punch, but then they leave their hand down when they throw the punch, and they may tag them a little bit on the face. Hey keep your hand up, keep your hand up, And they're like, we'll go back to the punching, and kind of get like that, and I'm showing the motion folks where my left is supposed to cover my face while I'm throwing the right cross and people drop the left and then they get tagged by the instruction. That's a good instruct right, I think, because they're saying keep your hand up, and the kind of the same thing with yours because you've added so much extra stress stress And you said, people don't look to think about the guy popping up on the left fascinating, so when if that guy pops up.
Speaker 3: But that's that's a good example of like doing the basics over and over. Yeah, because if you're training on boxing and doing that throwing those punches and having your left hand or right hand up to protect your head, you do that thousands and thousands of reps, even when you're not thinking straight, that's still going to come into play, right, So same it should happen. And same thing with shooting. So it's like people have said, a lot of people have said, like the unit is the masters of perfecting the fundamentals of the basics, and that is true. You do the right thing thousands or hundreds of thousands of times. Eventually when it comes time to doing it for real, just kind of take over, and that that leads into gunfighting or like CQB, a close scores battle. If if all the stuff with my hands and my and my gun is straight up on autopilot, when I get into a gunfight, my brain can be thinking of the situation in front of me. It doesn't have to worry about getting into a good stance or getting into a good grip, or getting my hands where they need to be, or you know, working the selector switch, or getting my finger on the trigger where it needs to be, pulling the trigger properly to the rear, you know, resetting properly that I don't have to think about that if I've done hundreds of thousands of reps the correct way, so all that in a gunfight is this on autopenet. So my brain can one hundred percent be focused on the situation in front and that's how it needs to be.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I guess the question now would be, we know with boxing, obviously you can go do it three or four times a week, what would you recommend for somebody who's in a higher level like that, How often should they be trained situations like that well?
Speaker 3: Or just or just shooting like the like the fundamentals and the basics.
Speaker 2: The fundamentals and the basics, and then.
Speaker 3: Also that's all it is. I mean, it's crazy people every and I don't I get it for like the normal civilian they like once they do the basics, like some people realize, Okay, I need to start with the basics. But then after a year or two year, two a couple of years of doing the basics, like I want to do the cool stuff, right, So then they end up going to like the cool guy classes and doing the running gun and stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's truly just perfecting the basics. So even though it's boring and that's what I do in my classes, like like I I'm kind of like the people have said, like I'm the known as like the boring instructor, like like I and I would never I would never change that because I know that that's what works, even though it's not the fun sex stuff. It's it's like that. I never I never did any like cool guys stuff at the unit john Wick stuff by myself. No, not one time did I do that when I when I would go shoot the range by myself and we would we would definitely do like the running gun and stuff. We do the vehicle stuff me included. But ninety ninety five percent of my training when I went to the range by myself, straight up basics, just over and over, year after year after year. It's the only thing that matters.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a picture with you holding an oozy sideways shooting that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't I'm sure I have a video out there like that.
Speaker 2: Now with a nowadays, you're probably do Yeah, it's funny. When you see some of these videos with the gang members. That's not the funny part, but you see them shooting the gun and it's kind of clocked to the side, and you're kind of like.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, what you're doing. It's all theatrics and and it sits again going back to like what people see in movies and they think that's the cool stuff, and that's what they want to do. If you want to be a good gunfighter, you do the basics. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of times.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're agreeing with Wyatt Earth when Wyatt says to win a gunfight, you have.
Speaker 3: To be someone There are multiple people have sent me some video that has gone kind of viral. I guess, yeah, and it was, and I listened to it. I was like, Yeah, that's exactly, that's that's how I was.
Speaker 2: Nothing, calm, collected a sure hand. That's the only way. You don't have to be fast, just has to be accurate and calm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I totally agree with that, And it's it's cool to hear that from you know, like way back when, like he realized that that's the only thing it matter.
Speaker 2: So that's amazing because when I look at it, when I listen to your story now and listen to what you're talking about again, it goes back to that mentality you had you didn't worry about that allowed you to stay calm within there. Did you also notice and sports they'll call it flow, they'll call it time dilation where everything slows down? Did you notice that and your gunfights were slow and downs? You can concentrate, No, nothing at all.
Speaker 3: I've been asked that tons of times, and I've heard of other people saying that. I don't know if they're just saying that because they've heard that that was the thing, and then they think that they need to say that, No, that that never happened to me on target really like to where everything just slowed down and like everything was clear as no, I mean everything was clear. I mean it wasn't. There was it was one percent. Never even came close to panic thing or or being stressed out. But yeah, I've never had that like what people have said, like everything just slows down. It's like it's on slow mow or something that never happened to me. That could happened to other people, but to me, no, And.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to be too personal, but I know as I do these interviews. We also have a series. I do a lot of podcast folks, but there's another podcast I'm doing. We're doing a health series. I'm interviewing doctors from all kinds of fields and we had a vision doctor talking about myopia. But I'm also interviewing athletes and athletic terrainers and stuff. And it's kind of interesting because athletes are really different, not the same as everybody. Again, I really think sometimes the sport picks the player and they got stronger feet, They have bigger feet, sometimes stronger big to which is a big thing in the athletic world. But one of the things I learned and I'm wondering about you is a lot of athletes, especially in baseball, didn't just have twenty twenty. There was a study done in Japan in here where a lot of the number one hitters had twenty fifteen, twenty ten, and people just never hear that, and I'm wondering, did you have twenty twenty or better? Better?
Speaker 3: That's so funny that you wrapped that up because I've been saying that now. I never and that never even occurred to me that that was a big thing. And then the last couple of years. It's funny that you said that because so you've you've is like a proven thing that better people are just like the best athletes have better vision.
Speaker 2: I don't know about all the athletes. We have one right now. We're asking at an institute that studies athletes in different capacities and they have an eye area. But we know what the batters, there's a lot of them that are showing that that Ichro Suzuki was one that was being done. I interviewed his trainer. Echro Suzuki was the famous Japanese baseball player for the Yankees, and his vision was like twenty twelve or twenty fifteen, but once he got to about forty, it started to go to twenty twenty. And the reason being he couldn't pick up the laces of the ball. Let's just split second. That ball is coming at you a ninety plus, so you have to pick it up. And so I'm kind of curious about it because I'm getting the funny feeling everything else is different.
Speaker 3: I totally agree that. So in the last couple of years since I've been lose see my vision and it and it does suck. Now I'm fifty years old now and and I i've been I've been saying, like, I think that's the key, like to being a better operator or a better athlete, is all eyes. What did you say which I would have never thought that when I was there because I had that perfect vision, not that I was saying, not that I'm saying I was the best, but I think that helped me. What did you think or made me or made me better than others?
Speaker 2: Why would you say that? Do you think it was able to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm just now that now that I don't have that perfect vision like I did, like I am slower at doing things like I mean, you just you can't like especially being like operation. Like I mean, like, I think another thing is that now that I've been thinking about the whole eye thing and like what what does make people the best? I do think think it's like one of one of the biggest ones would be eyes, and then after that it's like I think balance is a huge deal too. People that have really good balance are better. Maybe not on athletic side, but like operator side, that's a huge deal. So like I this good eyes and a really good sense of balance. I think is the difference of like a good operator and a great operator.
Speaker 2: Why the balance? Where's the cup to play?
Speaker 3: For you guys, it's just like just all the and not I wouldn't say like shooting wise, but just everything, like the agility that we have to have, like on target and getting there faster and getting around things and getting up and over things like I and I could be way out way out there, But I'm like about, like what was the difference? And I think for me it was it was eyesight and balance and then everything else. You still got to be athletic. You still gotta have great cardio, You're still gotta have really good endurance, you gotta have speed, you gotta have strength, you know, to being the best of the best. But I mean just just in the last couple of years, I was thinking about it, like what what was the difference to me? I think it was iSight meunce. It's interesting good balance, just I don't know how to explain it, just like overall balance on just everything you're everything you're doing.
Speaker 2: You don't see if I can do it for you a little bit, because I know in the athletic world they have is what they call speed, agility, and quickness. So speed is running lineally, so I've got to run from this humvy right straight behind that building for cover. Agility means I gotta start dodging these things. And then quicknesses, ope, I got a response back here. I got to turn around fire, and then poof, I got to react to this thing, so kind of like a receiver wide receiver kind of reacting. So those three I can see those, Yeah, I can see those definitely applying for you. So those three things you think too, right.
Speaker 3: It's funny though, with the I st that you mentioned that because I have been thinking about that a lot. Yeah, so I totally agree, Like, really good eyesight is the difference what.
Speaker 2: About and find motor skills if something else is going to be something I haven't explored yet, but I have seen some athletes have better mind, find motors more sensitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think, like like for precision shooting, that'd be a thing, But like for like assault type stuff, I don't think that that would be that big a big a deal.
Speaker 2: Ok I.
Speaker 3: When it came down to like tostaddress you shots, like precision shooting, especially with the finger like that tigger finger, that would that would come into play. But like assault shooting, like fast, fast shooting, big target, I don't think that's that that big a deal. When it comes to the operator wise.
Speaker 2: It's fine. As we were interviewed in Mike Big Song, he's coming back next week a different guy than John, And I remember the story he was talking about when he was the first time ever deployed. He was in the helicopter and he was getting ready to land in Vietnam somewhere, and all of a sudden, he was about he told you, like ten feet away from the ground and he's getting dropped off by the helicopter. All of a sudden, these guys popped out of the bushes and started firing so they started firing, and then they hit the guy next to him, and he's, you know, he's helping him get back into the helicopter and blood all over his hands, and he starts telling me because he's he's got a doctor in psychology too. Now it's kind of funny, but he said, you know, I try to grab my I think it was amazine. I tried to grab it. I couldn't do it because my hands were so bloody and my fine motor skills were rocked because I was so nervous. He was like twenty one, twenty two years old, and I'm trying to grab this thing and I'm getting shot at. I couldn't do it. What kind of made me think about the fine motor skill? Do you notice that all with people you train, people who maybe get leery because of the sound of the gun, worried about the gun.
Speaker 3: Well ye having issues? Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean by people that aren't that don't shoot a lot, and that aren't confident like with they're with with their weapons handling skills. Yeah, that's a huge deal. And that's that's probably the biggest thing, one of the biggest things. I uh that that I want you to get out of one of my classes is becoming more confident. And that's what confidence in in weapons handling. So like after two days, two days of two days of a class that you're with me, or if you come back to their class it's a five day class. I'll always say it to begin in the class. One of the one of the three things that I really want you getting out of my class is becoming smarter, safer, and more confident.
Speaker 2: Let's see the confidence.
Speaker 3: Part and like, and the confidence thing is is a huge huge deal people don't have, like just taking all the people out there in America that have concealed carry proments that that carry daily that don't actually have the confidence that they can that that they can make a hospitalsue shot or that they can actually manipulate that gun proper. So it was a lot I feel that is that's you know, not only the shooting and accuracy. I definitely want you getting that out of my class, but just after two days of the drills that I'm putting you through. It it's after those two days you should feel like I can control these guns, like I do know what I'm doing right, So yeah, you're not fidgit and you're not you're not second guessing yourself and you put your pistol, You're you're bringing your rifle up. It's a it's a huge deal. Like confidence in a gunfight was almost everything. Wow, if you don't have if like if you if you're going if you're going into a gunfight because you're in the military, and you second guess yourself or you doubt yourself, or if you're a concealed carry person you're carrying a pistol and you you leave the house that day and you're questioning if you can make a host rescue shot fast enough. You think you're going to be a good gunfighter, You're gonna suck, right. You You have to know when you leave that house. And that's where training comes into play. You train enough to where you have that confidence to know when you leave your house, if I get in a gunfight, I can definitely be fascinated. I can definitely be accurate enough to not shoot a friendly And that's so that's the confidence you have to have. So those those three things are like the biggest thing I want to get out of any class that you come do with me.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Bob and again, we're talking to Bob Keller. You can find more about them at gammut resolutions dot com, g a m ut resolutions dot com, or Killer Gammut Resolutions over on Instagram. For down to Tampa near Tampa, want to fly to Tampa, you check out range Works w r X w rx X range Works. Let me ask you this, Bob again, another analogy, but this time we're going to go over to the mixed martial arts I've talked to. I've interviewed a lot of black belts in jiu jitsu and some coaches from fights, and it's interesting to me. I wish you gout Don fry On here, but it's interesting to me about one of the things I hear them say a lot is people come in here thinking they already know how to fight, even though they don't know how to fight. Is one of those challenges. And I'm thinking, do you have the same thing or people saying, well, I'm show me a couple of tricks. I got this down already. Yep.
Speaker 3: It's really oh. I every I would say, every single class, like you have you have people coming that like I've been I've been shooting guns for thirty years, like I I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I think that's I'm a I'm a pretty good instructor when it comes to like I'm never gonna look at someone that says, hey, I've been shooting for thirty years. I'm gonna be like, oh, you don't know shit, right, Yeah, I'm gonna treat everyone equal, but like I'm gonna show them the drills that I not that I think that I know, you should be proficient at to know what you're doing in a gunfight. And then you know, like those those those people that come and thought that they were proficient, like they've been shooting for thirty forty years, they know what they're doing, you know, just after a two day class, they'll they'll they'll come like after the class, couple come up to me like like I am, I had no idea like where I should have been, you know, like on gun handling and my proficiency, my speed, my accuracy on targets. So yeah, I see it every class. I mean it's crazy. So yeah, like people that would come and say that they can fight, you know, and then you're actually fighting against someone who does it for real. It's it's gonna be a big eye over right, the same thing, same thing I see in classes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so it's almost better. It sounds like to go in there with a blank slate, or at least the mentality of blank slate.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yep, which which most people. I mean. I think I'm fortunate to being an instructor coming from where I came from. Like, people know my background. Even if they even if they think they know better, they're still gonna listen, you know. Like it's not like going to instructor that has no gun fighting experience, you know. So I'm kind of lucky in that aspect. But still I would never even if someone even if someone was questioning everything, I'm not. I don't know, I'm not one of those guys that are gonna be like, hey, shut up and go to the corner, you know, go to the corner. This is the way that I've done it. That's kept me alive for fourteen deployments and over one thousand thousand hits because the eight hundred were just at the unit and I had the other ones at the SF. So I have experienced, right, and I've actually been in hundreds of gunfights, so it's I have the pedigree to help me as an instructor for people to listen, you know, which would be the same thing if you were going if you were going to go go to a class with a boxer that had never been in the ring, like he he learned all his boxing from a book and from watching videos, right Like, You're not gonna listen to him as much as someone who's who has who's been in a hundred actual fights, right has a sex pack. It's kind of the same thing with with with like the shooting industry.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, I guess society wise, I would deem it so important for cops to come to see you because these guys are going to get into these things. They're the ones who really probably going to get into it, and they get the least amount of training.
Speaker 3: Yep. And that's the majority of my classes are l E classes or agencies or military. I mean, I do a ton of opener owning classes, but the majority of my classes are and those are the.
Speaker 9: I would say, those are the ones that are smart enough to know that there's other there's other means out there. Especially on the SWAT side. A lot of WAT teams think they know better and the way that they've been trained that's the way they're going to do it. But the smart ones are like, hey, there's probably other people out there that have done you know, been a ton more gunfights that we've been into. Like let's see a different method, let's see a different way of training that'll hit me up.
Speaker 3: And that's so it's it's awesome doing classes for those guys. What was how did you? How did you start off the question because there was something I was going to say about Ellie society. So then the other thing you see, excuse now my.
Speaker 2: Bad habit tobacco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very it's very interesting to see. So you don't see a lot of Elie guys coming on their own dime like to open only classes. But the guys that you do see which is awesome, awesome that they finally realize how important it is. But most cops, and this this is this is not talking about SWAT, but like most b cops, they do it for a job, like they do it for a paycheck, right, which is horrible. Like they're not doing it because they want to do cops stuff. They're doing it because it's a it's an easy paycheck. So not many of them think that they're ever going to get a gun fight. Well, the I'd say ninety five ninety eight percent of cops that come on their own dime to an OpenH only class. Are our officers that have actually been in a gunfight. Oh really, they'll come because now because once once that cop, that that one cop that didn't take it serious, never thought he was going to be in a gunfight, never trained, never, you know, never got proficient with this fire. Wrong that one time he has to use it and he sucks, you know, and and now he's in the fear of his life. Now after that, they're the ones that are now searching for for for courses or for classes or for training because they know how easy they could have got killed. You ever have, you know, it's it's unfortunate that that's what it takes. But a lot of times it takes people to you know, to be in a bad situation to actually realize, holy crap, I need to actually spend some time like doing you know, like practicings.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have to speak or no.
Speaker 3: I've had a I've had a couple actually called in two classes that was actually like hey, Jack to actually like to say they're you know, tell their experience yeah, yeah, because it is. It's crazy, Like ninety five ninety eight percent of the people or cops that come to like pay on their own dime, or guys that have been in officer involved shootings.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be great for you for your business as well as they haven't testimonials and little video recordings of them and you can show you may think you may not need this, but.
Speaker 3: That's what they say. So many of them don't. They just never think it's going to be them that has to you know, that has to do it.
Speaker 2: So that's you're that kind of a position too.
Speaker 3: If they're just like we were on deployment every day, any any moment when they're on duty or even even off duty, they could you know, they could be in a gunfight. Like if I was a cop, I'd be training my ass off every day, like which which I did when when I was at the unit, even though it was you know, we we were back in the rear, not fighting, but I was like, you're you're always you're always trained for that next deployment, which which a cop, that's every day, you know, the next time. So yeah, it is. It is crazy though, and it's a it's a it's an individual thing, but it's also a department thing, you know, like on the lack of training that they give them. And I get it, it's it's a budget thing. Maybe if you talk about forcing your guys to get trained up like they should, that would that would be ten fifteen classes a year. Well if you look at trying to get every single officer in America trained up to that standard with the round counts and the overtime, I mean it would it would be billions and billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: I get that they can't do it. But if I was a cop on my own, or like on my own, if if the department wasn't sending me to classes or they weren't let me go to the range every every week, I'd be doing on my own time. And and I did like I like when I was in rangem time and special Forces back then, and even even now they don't. They don't get to train as much as like the unit, not even not even really so when I was as I would actually I would actually spend my own money to buy my own ammal and go to the range by myself. Oh wow, Because I always I always wanted to be prepared. You know that that was pre nine to eleven. That was that was before anything was going on. But I'm never going to go into a situation not being the best. So if I have to spend my own money to do that, I'm going to do that. And I think that's what law enforcement agency guys should be doing too. Unfortunately they don't.
Speaker 2: Those are the large ones. I mean you see somebod these like in Chicago, La, New York. I mean, you're gonna every time I bought the officers there, how many times do you pollt your gun? How many times this week? And it's like, holy crap already? But then I've interview guys from like No Offense to Fargo. But out there in Fargo, how many times do you poll your gun? In my career, yeah, one is like, oh, I can see that right. But LAPD, I'm looking at going how do you not get training way above the normal on that?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I had a best friend. He joined LAPD when we got out of high school. And I'll never forget it was the very first night he said, I'm going out today is my first ride with the FTO, And I said, great fun and be saved. He calls me that night. I said, how did it go? My very first call? You can tell he was really solemn and I need something. Shit happened. I was only nineteen at the time, or twenty twenty one. We're twenty one. I said, what happened? He goes, we went to an officer down call. That was my first call. I said, no, kid, what happened? He goes, Then I got shot at I was like, whoa. Yeah. And he stayed on for I think nine years and then left. But I mean it happened like that first day. I mean, holy can it was in hours. I think it was as it was a first call. It was like an hour and a half into it.
Speaker 3: And for I mean then for the right guy, the right mindset that had been like, oh, I'm staying on this job forever. Yeah, and he said something some people don't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't like it enough.
Speaker 3: He stayed.
Speaker 2: And I think his dad was a cop, his two brothers were cops. Everybody was a cop in that family was like blue bloods. And eventually, but he he didn't have the passion for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was out.
Speaker 2: I mean he didn't go the whole twenty years either. No, it's amazing again, folks. Range Works highly recommended Gamma resolutions dot com. Check it out. See where they're traveling to. He's everywhere, it seems like right now. Take advantage of it too, because he maybe just sitting down Range Works in the next couple of years and just being there. So if you want them to come by or they never know, definitely check it out.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: I guess our the last few minutes together feels like we've done two podcasts.
Speaker 3: You could just split them in half.
Speaker 2: It was funny that I talked to John for like an hour and a half, like whoa, I guess in our last few minutes. AGA's really interesting to talk and didn't go the way I thought it was going to go because we went straight into mindset and really blew that up, which was kind of fun. We really explored a lot of different areas. I don't know if you do this again back to the athlete metaphors here, but they do a lot of breathing. This is one thing I've noticed with athletes, especially in high pressure situations. So then I get shot at, but the bases are loaded. You're making two million a year, you got pressure on you, or you're getting ready to advance to the next level. They recommend breathing. They recommend visualization, imagery work right, think of yourself throwing that pitch, breathe in this situation, any of that apply here? Would it be good to visualize things? He's already shaking his head, folks, Would it be good to breathe anything like that? Or none?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 3: The bit well I was I was laughing because you're talking about breathing the visualization. I might be able to get on board with that. But breathing to me, I called to me, But no, that's only me like that that help you know, everyone else, But that was that was never a factor for me, like you know, like trying to slow your heart rate down, take that deep fucking breath or that tactical deep breath, which I have said that before, like the other people, but to me, like especially on like shots, because a lot of people will say, like breathe, like breath control, which is it's a fundamental in the in the shooting fundamentals. That has never been a factor to me, like on target actually shooting dudes that I have never had even even coming off like a two thousand full on sprint to target I've never had to like be like when I was bringing the gun up to make that shot, like actually have to slow my breathing down like that. It just it was just never, it was never factor for me. But that's I think that's the beauty of I think how it should be for all sports and and for everyone. You do what works for you, like, definitely try different things. But if if if the best athletes in the world are saying this is what you need to do and that doesn't work for you, well don't force it to work for you, right, I mean, same thing with shooting. If someone's saying you have to have breath control before you shoot, if that doesn't work for you, well don't have breath control.
Speaker 10: I mean, that's I think the difference between like I call bullshit through all things because I'm I'm I'm realistic and then and I and definitely it's just a lot of things didn't apply to me that that most people would do.
Speaker 3: That was a little bit weird on that.
Speaker 2: Well, again, I'm wondering if it's your unique skill set that made you you were so comfortable with the gunfight that you didn't have to worry about breathing because you weren't getting anxious.
Speaker 3: And that that maybe that was maybe that was a factor too. But even even when I shoot, like like practice shooting, like I was a sniper and SF I went through sniper school as a sniper on the team, and then breath control is like a big deal when it comes to sniper shots, not to me, like I never had to use breath control shooting. So again, if that helps other people be better athletically in games or better shooters, absolutely do it. But if it if it doesn't apply to you, don't just because someone else is saying do that, don't try to make that work for you, because everyone's everyone's different, That's right, And I think that's not that would apply to every sport out there, And definitely when it comes to me is my sport is in gunfighting. That's That's another big one I put out is you do what works for you, and that if you truly want to become great at what you're doing, you have to figure out what works for you, now, what works for ten other people, what works for you, and where that work and how you find that out is by practicing, by putting the time in. You know a lot of people, I think a lot of people do what other people do because they don't want to put the time it. So they want to read the book, they want to watch videos, and they think, Okay, this this guy is the best of what he's doing, and this is what he's saying to do. I'm gonna I'm gonna do exactly what he's doing. That's not gonna work for everyone, but people are lazy. People don't want to put the time in. Like if someone was saying, you want to be you want to be an Olympic marathon runner, and you watched one video on this Olympic marathon running. He was telling you how to run, and you were trying to make that work. Well, that's probably he's got different feet, different legs, different arms, different Torso, right, you have to get out there and do a shit ton of marathons to figure out what works for you. So the same thing. Same thing with shooting. So I'm big on that. It's it's never the easy answer. You have to put the timing. And I think that was the difference between me and others is I put the time in. I figured out what actually worked for me.
Speaker 2: That's usually for a lot of the champion athletes too. I mean, do you have a metric too. I'm assuming if I'm correct, hitting correct if I'm own, of course, But the metric you have is hitting the target. That's a simple metric, just like a picture, hitting the target and then you hit it better with breathing or without. Is that where you use the visualization you actually focus on having them imagine themselves draw I fire.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say like shooting dude, Like, I don't even know if I ever visualized. I just I'm not calling bullshit to that, like I think that can happen. It's just it's funny. I was just actually thinking about that today. Did eight mile eight mile runs? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: And I'm like people that visualize, if they're running, they're like, I have another five miles to go, and they're visualizing another five miles. That's gonna wear on their brain. That's good. They're they're gonna want to quit, right, But if you visualize, you know you still have five more miles to go, and on that last quarter mile you'll still have like you know, some gas left in you. But and that's all you're focused on, is that the last quarter mile to fifth you know that five more miles that you have. I think it helps you, like mindset wise, to stay in there. No, no, instead of thinking of every step and every like okay, one more, one more, just make it one more block and then another block. Now you visualize on you still have five more miles, then it's no big deal.
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, I think that what they use visualizations for, like a basketball player shooting free throws, so they'll visualize let's say she shoots the free throw and makes it. Then they're saying, we want you to visualize how that looks and how that feels every time you do it. Yeah I did that, Yeah, exactly, totally.
Speaker 3: I totally know what the actual visualizedzation is. But like I'm shooting that, that never was a thing like getting off the helicopter in me, like visualized. Okay, I possibly have three threats in the compounds coming up. I'm gonna see their chest. No, that was never that was that was that was never a thing for me. But again, if that's if that's gonna help someone else.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, actually that makes some good question. Do you do You said you have guys that pop up Do you have also those little pop up targets that we've seen in the movies with the pups up and then you shoot at it. That really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you're usually like turners, so that instead of popping up, they'll they'll be like this and then they'll they'll turn or they'll be like this and then all of a sudden they'll turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and that's that's really that's awesome training, really good, is it? Or if you had to pop up target like that? So if you if you're standing there that it's it's not only for making fast shots, but it's it's really for a targeted identification, so like like seeing hands, seeing what they have, so you know, are they a threat? Are they not a threat? So right when it comes, right when it comes in, like it'll only stand like this for like two or three seconds, and as you are seeing that target, seeing the threat, seeing the hostage and then or if it's a hostage rescue shot or not, or if it's a threat target, you have to as the guns coming up, you have to not only see their hands, does he have a gun in his hand? Are you actually you know, is he a threat? And then once you identify it's a threat, well then you guys see it. You know, is there a hostage next to him, Like where am I going to shoot him? So like targets I got are are awesome like for training wise identifying threat or no threat, And that's really that's really all they are. Like shooting is one thing, but when you actually get into further down the road of actually gun fighting, like you not only have to be accurate fast, but you also have to be able to identify is that a threat that I'm going to engage or not? I mean, it's it's a that's probably the separation of like like good shooters and and and bad ass shooters, right, guys, guys that can make that decision and that split second as the gun's coming up to actually see those hands and to Yep, he's a threat and I'm gonna shoot him the chest hope, Wait he's got body arm around. Nope, not shooting the chest and shooting the face. That's all stuff that has to happen in a nanosecond. So so yeah, once you once you get the shooting down, then it is coming. Like the other thing that comes into play is actually being identified threats are.
Speaker 2: I had two questions before I interviewed you today. Somebody, Oh, can you ask him this can you ask him? One was do you like those guns? I guess he saw it on Amazon and they have guns where they have like a little red light. You quickly draw it and then you pack the red light on it. He said, Can that helpful while I'm sitting there watching a movie? Would that be helpful to train on it?
Speaker 3: Is it the? Is it the like the drive fire?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a dry fire gun thing he had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you put it on target and then you drive fire it, and then it shows you like like how accurate you were, how the gun moved, you know, with your trigger pull.
Speaker 2: Let me see what his text said.
Speaker 3: That's where it is like, I don't I don't actually use those, but I would never That's a good training tool. Yes, any anything to get you to do drive fire is a good tool.
Speaker 2: It's a drive fire or laser training thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, nope, man, you can get the same thing out of that by just watching your front sight so or your red dot on target. So if your red dots, if you just have a red dot on your pistol or on your rifle, you put it up on target as you're screened the trigger. If you watch that red dot stayed dead still on that on the spot of the target that you're shooting. You know you have a perfect tear pull. If you see that red dot moved just a little bit over the right, you probably know your trigger pull yanked over the right. But that's it's it's the same thing as what the what the laser does.
Speaker 2: Well. And then the other question, actually it wasn't from him. The other question was he saw this. I guess on some I don't know what he saw it on. He doesn't mention. I guess some cop show or something. They have a couple of guys that were wearing a The holster wasn't on the hip, it was on the thigh. Have you seen those where they have a thing wrapped around the thigh, And I guess I wanted to know what your take on that is.
Speaker 3: So they're they're definitely doable when you're on the range. So they're called drop down holsters that that go on your thigh, and we actually we use those for years when I went through OTC, we actually used I use the drop leg holster when it comes to operational stuff like doing it for real, like if you're running, even if you're running twenty yards. They got a full sprint. If you have that thing wrapped around your thigh, it's gonna move like that pistol will be in the front of your leg. It'll be be you know, behind your legs. They don't stay stable there. I would if you're, if you're if whoever asked if you're, if you're thinking about buying one, I would say absolutely not. Like by you can buy like the half drop down line half drop down so they're still on your belt. They come down a little bit a little bit further so it clears if you were body armor, like it's not gonna be up against your b but they'll still they'll still stay on your belt. But if you have a full drop down holster that's on your sigh, you're when you're actually doing stuff for real, they're all over the place. So now if you if you have to draw your holster or if you if you have to dry your pistol and your hand comes down to where you think it usually is, it's usually not going to be there a drop down holster. Interesting, like for training wise, they're fine because usually most people shoot static like they're they're they're not moving, so it's always going to be there. But when you actually start moving around, those things move all over the place.
Speaker 2: Why did they do it? Was it faster grab or what was the reason for that? You don't have to lift up your elbow or I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if it's a faster draw. So I mean usually with with body armor, people don't want the gun high up on their belt because now the body armor is either over the over the pistol or it's riding on the pistol, so it is hard to get it out. So if you put a drop leg on, now it's away from your body arm, you can get you can get a pistol out.
Speaker 2: That's where the.
Speaker 3: Half the half dropped downs came in, so they're not all the way down to your thigh, but they do clear your body armor. I still so I put my body armor higher up on my on my torso, and I kept my pistol on my belt. It's it's just screwed around with your with your kit knowing you know that again you have to go to the range or go outside screw around with it. I get to where your your pistol is not going to be moving around, and then you adjust your kit off of that.
Speaker 2: Good advice, Good advice. Well, I think that's about ready to wrap us up. We've been together for a long time today. Yeah, it was a great conversation. I really enjoyed it a lot because it took a different direction. I never really think about them a whole lot ahead of times. I know, I asked one question and that these are rabbit holes. That's where it ended up today. Yeah, so, folks, again, if you want to learn more, you can look up Gammut Resolutions gm ut resolutions dot com. You can look up Killer Gammut Resolutions over on Instagram, and if you're in Tampa, Florida, visit Range Works wr X to check it out. So if you've never fired a gun, ever shot a gun, just got a gun, just got your CCW, I highly recommend you check it out. They're not toys, folks. You definitely don't want to play around. Bob. I can't thank you enough for doing this again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think your idea was great. We should bring John back and and Nayan and I think that would be a lot crazy time. John's the characters as well, and they're gonna be a fun time. Yeah, talking about those stories.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yep, Thank you everyone for listening, Share, subscribe, hit that I Like button, Go check out gammut resolutions. Folks,