Speaker 1: To ensure they keep them there.
Speaker 2: Texas Congressman Troy Nell's sponsored companion legislation over in the House. Houston's new police chief, No Diaz, was introduced Friday after spending the last five years as the chief of Police and Katie Diaz thankful for the opportunity now in Houston.
Speaker 3: I truly believe in the Mayor.
Speaker 1: I can't thank you enough for the opportunity.
Speaker 3: This is a very vibrant city.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to get on my soapbox about the crime rate or anything like that, but I think that this city should be the pinnacle.
Speaker 2: He is also a former Texas ranger and correctional officer with the td C. J Chevron is leaving California for a new headquarters right here in town. The company is moving its corporate headquarters to Houston. California suits Chevron over what it claimed was a downplaying of climate change. Also, Tesla is recalling nearly two million vehicles in the US due to issues with the hood. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the recall stems from issues with the software that detects when a hood is on. Last vehicles affected includes certain twenty twenty one on to twenty four model three, Model S and Model X vehicles, along with Model Y vehicles that were manufactured since twenty twenty. Our next update is at six thirty. I'm Jared Lewis on Houston's news, weather and traffic station News Radio seven forty k t r H.
Speaker 5: K t r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 6: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 7: By Yes Trap just watch him as many birthdays the crazy.
Speaker 1: Sid Good morning, so good Saturday morning.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on being up at this hour to join us on Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we are looking forward to visiting with you about the things that you're curious about in your garden. Maybe you've got a strange insect, a strange spot on the leaf, you need a plan identified or diagnosed or whatever. We can do all those sort of things here. Just welcome to give us a call at your convenience and tell us what you would like to talk about. You know, the topics. I can tell you the things I'm getting emails about, things I'm getting calls about, the things that typically are on people's minds at this time of the year. But it's mostly about what you care about, what you're interested about. What are the issues that you're having in your garden. Well, let me give you a phone number so you can give us a call seven to one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. That's how you get here on garden Line. If you have been struggling with some different aspects of lawn care, gardening or whatever, let's see if we can get down to the bottom of it and do some diagnosis. Some of you have sent a photo in during the week ahead of your phone call. I appreciate that that is how I most like to do it. That way when you call me. I'm not trying to picture something you know in my head that you're describing, because I find that that doesn't always line up really good when I try to picture what somebody is describing. Well, it looks like the rain has led off for a little while now, and we sure did get plenty of it, I tell you. Compared to last year, where we were so blazing hot for so long with no rain, this year has been different. Up to now, I'm not trying to jinx it or anything by saying that, because you know, summer does bring its droughts, and it does bring it certainly brings its hot weather, which we've yet to experience here. I think it's going to be that way a little bit this week. It's going to warm up quite a bit. And so just a reminder. If you have plants that you put in, let's say, in the last few months, this is a good time to remind yourself that those root systems are still quite limited. You pulled it out of a cylinder in a pot full of a pot full of soil, and the roots were all within that cylinder of soil. When you put it in the ground, they start to move out into the soil around them. But that's a gradual process over time. And so we have to remember that that plant still has an artificially small root system because we grew a pot and we have to continue to water it, and we need to water it where the roots are, so you may see, well, I certainly want to water that original cylinder area, but a little bit beyond it as well. When you water, and I've seen people make the mistake of they reach around out and feel the soil and it's moist, but that's the soil, you know, foot away from the plant system, and they're not roots out there yet, depending on how long ago you plant it, and so always focus that water on the area where the original cylinder was and then gradually moving out, you know, certainly six inches foot even two feet as the months go on from that area, making sure that has water because we're trying to keep that plan alive, but we're also trying to help it thrive. That is our goal, and summertimes a stressful time. You can plant in summer. You can go to the garden centers this weekend and get you some good plants, bring them home and plan them. And if you take care of them right and take care primarily means give them adequate watering during these first months, they will have success. And remember that we are now in August. September is also a summer month here in our area. And then in October we typically start to see a little bit better of a break from the heat a little bit at the end September, but it's not that much. It's temporary typically, so we've got several months really that a summer warm season annual will look good in your landscape. And if you drive around town look at landscapes, there are a sea of green. There's green grass, green trees, green shrubs, green ground covers. You see. You get the idea put some color in there, and you can do it. You know, if you plant marigoles, or if you plant angelonia, if you plant any foliage plants that have bright colors, they're gonna look good for a good while. You're gonna get plenty out of them. So it's still a good time to get planting done. And those plants will go away when the first frost comes. They are warm season annuals, not cold season annuals, and we can continue to plant those. If you've never planted stuff that blooms in the fall, it's still a good time to plant that. That stuff will start blooming, some of it toward the end of August. I'm a lot in September and even in October and fall flowers are beautiful in the landscape, and so go ahead and get some of those started. Sometimes sometimes I think about the fact that in spring, everybody's a gardener, you know, everybody is planting the things that are going to look good in spring. That's an easy time, but think of your landscape all four months the year. I may talk about that a little bit more here in just a bit. Right now, we're going to go out to the phones and talk to Dave. Hello, Dave, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Thank you very much. I have a neighbor and he's a real good guy. The problem is that give me probably about probably about two or three months ago, he burned a big patch of his of his front lawn with fertilizer. It don it looks like he lit it on fire now now as not as brown and black. And only thing that's thriving with there are the weeds. We were talking the other day. How would he repair it and and get rid of the weeds.
Speaker 1: It depends on what the weeds are, and then he has options. For someone with no tolerance to weeds, then you would need to use either a grassy or a broad leaf we control product, or something that kills both to get rid of them existing weeds. If there's no lawn there, he could use something that kills everything, or that just kills grass if they're grassy weeds, and then follow that up with plugging in some sod around them, or filling it in. However he wants to go about it, watering it, and really good sod will still establish quite well right now. This weather is fine for our warm season turf if you water it, and that would be one option. Some people are a little less or a little more tolerant of the green and the weeds, and they don't want to spray, and so if the areas are huge, you can't do hand pulling. If they're not so big, some hand pulling is an option, or you can just get in there and rototill them a little bit, pull those weeds out, get them by the way, rake it smooth, and then put the sawed in. So that'd be another option. But if it's a perennial weed, Dave, I would I would either very carefully hand dig it, which I suspect people are not going to want to go do, or and then but I would I would spray it because it's just going to come back. Rototilling doesn't necessarily kill perennial weeds.
Speaker 9: With the saw grow with the saw grow all right in that area where because like I said, you put too much fertilizer down would fertilize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reason The reason excess excess fertilizer hurts is one of two reasons. If it was a weed and feed, which this was definitely not the time to be using that, then there may be some residual from the herbicide that was in the product. It was just fertilizer, then it's just a salt burn, and a good drenching with water will wash that away, just like if you sprinkle table salt real strong in your lawn and you kill grass with it. You just desolve it and wash it away with some fishings, good flushings.
Speaker 9: You'll be glad to hear that. He'll be glad to hear it back, and that's what he's been doing. So okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dave, thanks a lot, appreciate your call very much. Bye bye. Well, we're going to take a little break here and i'll be right back. The number if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, and we're going to talk about the things that are interesting to you, maybe questions that you have. If you give us a call seven one three two one two kt r h uh insects will invade our turf at times and they give you significant damage. That our prime insects season, it's really summer, mid to late summer especially, that's when chinchbugs attack. As we get a little further into the summer is when we would see if we're going to see it a significant sod webworm attack. Nitrofoss has a product called bug Out Max. Bug Out Max is designed to deal with insects like that. It's a granule, You spread it out, you water it in. It releases the product off the granule and insects that are down there in the thatch, like chinchbugs, that's where they hide, like sod webworms, that's where they spend their day, come out evening to do their feeding on the leaves. It'll hit them hard, it'll knock them out, and within forty eight hours it's pretty much done. It's work, but it's going to keep working all summer. It lasts, it does last, so you don't have to do it over and over again. Don't do that. Just give it a good application and you'll be good for the rest of that season. You're going to find that product as well as other Nitrofoss products. It bearings, hardware, both the one on buss and up the one on Westheimer Plantation ace out there and Katie carries it as well as does Hiden and feed on I forty five North on that area a stupener airline. Actually they carry nitrofoss bug out Max as well. Talking before going in to break about a number of things, we were talking about the importance of continuing to have good color in our landscapes. And just because it's summer doesn't mean our landscapes have to turn into a sea of green. They just don't. And you can fix that by planting good heat tolerant plants. And there's a lot of them out there. And our good garden centers, you know, the mom and popsy independent garden centers. I talk about it on garden Line. They have the expertise to point you to the right plants, the places the person. Sometimes you go out and talk to somebody that was not even working in the plant world for the previous years of their life and they just show up and suddenly they got to answer plant questions. You get that quality of answer that you would expect from someone that just doesn't have the knowledge. Our independent garden centers it is not that way. For example, Plants for All Seasons. Plants for All Seasons is a garden center where they've been doing this, the Flowery family since nineteen seventy three. I would say they've got a few years in the business. And when you go in there, I don't care if you've got a brown thumb or a green thumb or what color thumb. They will help you find success by pointing you to the right plants, telling you how to care for them. You got a problem with something you bought and it's now bug is eating it or whatever, bring it in. Bring the bug in, let them see or take a picture of it, and they will know what to do. And if a product is necessary, they'll tell you which one actually works, and that is important. You can take them photos or whatever you want now. They're located just north of Luetta on FM two forty nine. That's Tombol Parkway. So if you're going up toward Tomba, you just exit Luetta, crossover Luetta and start looking to the right because you're almost there. Two eight, one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six or Plants for All Seasons dot com. We're going to go to the phones. Now to Manville, Texas and talk to Adolf.
Speaker 10: Hello, Adolf, Yes, sir, good morning.
Speaker 11: A question about.
Speaker 9: How to prevent and maybe you.
Speaker 10: Were just talking about it, infestation of I guess the worm that gets into the canna and it ruins the beautiful leaves, Yes, and the plane itself.
Speaker 1: So once a little moss lasy egg and it hatches out into the caterpillar, that caterpillar will move inside the canna whirls, you know as a kenna leaf comes out. It's it's world. It's a rolled up like you roll up in the newspaper, and so they get inside there, so step you spray on the outside doesn't get to them. Sometimes you can, you know, turn your nozzle and squirt some stuff down in that whirl. But BT will kill them, and spend no said, will kill them. I think I would probably go with Spindo said, because it does soak into the leaf tissue, but which BT doesn't do. And so even a caterpillar feeding from the other side of the leaf that you sprayed can be controlled with it. But you got to stay with it because once they get in there and tie it all together where the leaf weren't unfurl, and it's just they can do significant damage and it's easier to catch them early. So I would say at the first sign of any holes in the leaves, you should probably start that spraying.
Speaker 12: Okay, when when would that be.
Speaker 10: Do they attack in a certain time of year or is it early spring or just well.
Speaker 1: It's it's warm seas, it's warm season, and I've seen them at different times, so there's not really a you know, on June first spray for this past it's a just you don't know when they're going to show up, and they may not show up. I had cannis for years that didn't have a problem, and then all of a sudden one year they found bit and so I start having to deal with them. So you just you know, it's nature, So just kind of watch for it and see did they get hard last year? Did they get your canos last year?
Speaker 11: So last year and this year?
Speaker 1: Okay? Uh So I would probably start watching for them, certainly by the time we get to about April even and especially in May and June. But somebody who doesn't have them could suddenly get them even now.
Speaker 10: Okay, And what did what did you say to.
Speaker 1: You to you use okay, I would use something spin Spino said, s P I N O S A D like sad ah. That's that is a liquid. Now there are synthetic pesticides that will kill them too. Most people would rather, you know, go with something that's a little more natural as their first choice, and I think in this case that would do the trick. Sometimes we don't have a great natural option, but with this we do.
Speaker 10: Okay, Now, if if a worm does get in there, and I'll see the leaf all curve up, yeah it's it's I guess it's kind of late. But would you suggest that I just cut yes leaf all together?
Speaker 1: And yes, I would just cut it off. I would cut it off below that. If you want to cut it off at the ground, you could. But if you just want to cut it off below that and get it in the trash and get it out of there, because you don't know, maybe a pupil stage already, it's about to come out as an adult moth. So that's called sanitation, just getting the getting the bad stuff out, and that certainly is legit. Now that alone is not going to be a solution to can of leaf rovers because he ended up cutting up your whole patch of Canni's. But just when you got one there, if you're like, okay, this one, I can't get to this one, you can cut that out if you want. But there's no problem with just just spraying once you know they're there, just about once every week or ten days, just spray with the spinosa, get it on the leaves. You may need to use a spreader sticker because kenna leaves water tends to ball up, beat up on the leaf and roll off U and so a spreader sticker would help get that spread out. So when the when the pest arrives, you've got good.
Speaker 10: Coverage and the sticker is what some.
Speaker 1: Well, now there's a there are some spreader stickers, one called Turbo. I believe Turbo. I'm trying to think of some other names. But any you go to a good Ace hardware store, you're going to find spreader stickers out in your area.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, there's one in Pariland. Okay, thank you much?
Speaker 1: Sure is there's several of them down there? All right? If all right? Well, thanks a lot, appreciate the call. Thank you, yep, CANi Lee rollers boy that essentially I have a video I to post that online to our Facebook page a video of a wasp eating a canile roller, and wasps are the number one The number one food for wasps is caterpillars. And so when we have caterpillars that we don't want, you know, not butterfly of them maybe, but when we have caterpillars we don't want, like a candi leaf roller or a webworm, wasps are out there getting them. And so we you know, you see wasp, we think it's going to sting me. I got to kill the nest. Well, if you're allergic to them, I understand the health concern. If the nest is right where you got to walk into the door every day, I understand the concern. But if they're not bothering you and they're off to the side, just know that's what they're doing all day, capturing caterpillars, bringing them back to the to the nest. I think I had mentioned this before on Garland, but we heard once that some entomologists in the Midwest with a extension system there they estimated seven thousand caterpillars a year at a good with a good large sized wasp nest. That's a lot of caterpillars. I mentioned ACE hardware when we were visiting there with Adolph. Ace Hardware's are all over the place. So if you heard me say that you got forty of them to shoes from. You just go to Ace Hardware dot com. That's where you'll find the store locator and you can get a little map of all the Ace hardwares that are all over the Greater Houston area. Now when you're when you're looking for anything to control pests, anything to control diseases, maybe it's mosquitoes. Boy, we got them now there They have hatched out somewhere in my neighborhood and I go outside and they're waiting. Well, the mosquito dunks to stop the larvae, or a foger or whatever you're using to control mosquito, it's at Ace Hardware. They carry it all fire ants I'm seeing Barman where I was in my yard. I didn't know I had them there because they were underground. They're not visible at that point. And with the rain, here comes the soil, I say, boiling to the surface. You know, it's just the little mound starts to grow up out of the ground. Fire ant baits. There's a lot of good firet baits, both synthetic and organic options for fireant control at ACE Hardware, as well as everything else you need to have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. Ace makes it really easy. Well, it looks like it's time for me to take another break. I will be back in just a moment if you want to give us a call. Seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four Living Goodness Today. We're weird to talk about the things that interest you. What what would you like? Maybe you're looking at your landscape and let's just say you have to close your eyes when you drive in every day because things aren't looking so great. I talk to people all the time like that. Heck, there's times when I come back from a VIC I've been away and it's like, oh, man, I know what I got to get doing. Well, if you're trying to improve things, maybe you would like some more color in the last day. Maybe you would like some new beds that really frame the home that really you know, whatever is of interest. You know, people drive around town and they see stuff and they go that is gorgeous. I take a picture of it, and that'll be your guide for what you might like to do. At your house, and if you go to a place like puer Scapes, they're professionals in every aspect of the game. I mean they can do. They can fix your irrigation system. They can take an area that doesn't drain well. Boy, if you got one of those, you should know it. After the rains we've been having a while back, they can fix that, make the drainage better, so you can grow plants that need good drainage. Do you want landscape lighting? Maybe you just like the way that the beds and the design and everything look. Showing that picture and say what can we do for my yard? Show them a picture of your yard. They are experts. That's what they do every day. And if you go to their website you'll see what I'm talking about. And I really would ask that you do that, even if you're not necessarily thinking about doing something in your yard right now. Go check it out. It is inspirational. Piercescapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com. You can call them at two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. You can call them up. They'll do other things too. They'll do a quarterly maintenance service. For example, if you have some beds, and you want somebody to come in to do mulching, make sure the weeds are taken care of, put new color in when we go from season to season. You know, whatever color changes you want. They can do all of that. They can do mulching of the surface and all the stuff you do to keep a bed looking good. Piercecapes dot Com. You need to check them out. You will. You will get inspiration, I promise you. That's absolutely beautiful work those folks do. We're gonna go now back to the phones and we're gonna go to Edwina and Hello Edwin, and welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 13: Thank you for taking a call.
Speaker 14: I'm calling a back that I have.
Speaker 13: A volunteer in my gardens. It it grew up freestons. I did not plant it. It has little teeny tiny flowers look like incredibly miniatured daisies, and.
Speaker 15: Then it developed little green.
Speaker 13: Fairies or balls or whatever, and then it falls to deck and I have no clue what it is.
Speaker 1: Is it a vine or is it like on upright stalks or what plant form is?
Speaker 13: It's just upright stacks long stins.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know I want to there are bazilion plants out there. And I think the best way for me to give you an accurate answer would be for you to send me a photo or photos. Okay, do take some photo, Take something up really close, you like, with your hand in the photo, or something that shows me sighs. So if I see those little flowers, I know exactly how big they are. Anything that shows size like that. Take a picture of the whole thing from a distance, too, and I'll be happy to give you an id. And are you wanted to get rid of it or you just want to know what it is?
Speaker 13: Oh, I didn't want to get rid of it. I just find it fastly. But it's a little teer. It came out of dirt, and I'm assuming some bird that drops the thing in all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, all right, Chris will give you my email to send them to and and I'll be happy to if I see it soon enough, I'll talk about it on the show today. If not, you know, I can reply to you just in the email. All right, Thank you, appreciate appreciate your call very much. Let's go now to friends would and talk to Connie. Hello Connie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Thank you, good morning, nutcrass is my bane. It's growing in the floor stick ever, and I can't bend over to pick it up and pull it out. And since they don't still glad to say it anymore, the substitute called round up doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right, and really glefsate didn't either. It mainly was a top burn and nuts edge is a complicated creature and I actually I thought i'd have it up by this weekend. I'm almost done with a publication on nutsedge. There's purple nutsedge and yellow nut sedge, and they each they're different in some ways that are important to know when you're going to control them. And I'm going to put that up on my website. It should be up early this coming week. Also going up on the website is how to build a weed wiper. It's a free thing on how to build a weed wiper, and that way, it's basically a stick with sponges on it that allow you to wipe the product on nuts edge without getting it on desirable plants. And if you have a giant patch, you're gonna have to spray that. There are products. Where is the nuts sedge growing?
Speaker 14: It's growing by itself, through the moult, and I have stick molts. Okay, I don't have to worry about surrounding plants.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, then there's a product called Manage. In fact, there's a there's a couple of products out there. One of them is called Manage, and Manage is very effective. It's probably the best product at managing nutsedge that we have, and you can find it. There's another product that is the set. In fact, there's you know what, I'm sorry, I'm take that Manage back. I was just thinking about something else. It's called sedge hammer. But sedge hammer plus is available in a lot of different places. You are down in the Friendswood area, you can probably get it at any of your ACE hardware stores, and there's a number of ACE hardware stores in your area. But sedge hammer, just think of a hammer killing your sedge. It's easy to remember. There are other versions. High Yield has a nutsedge control, Martin's has a nutsedge control, Monterey has a nutsedge control. Just go to a place and knows what they're talking about, like an ACE Hardware down in your area and ask for something for nuts edge. But a sedge hammer is the easiest, probably to tell them about.
Speaker 14: Okay, I will do that, all right.
Speaker 1: Now. That said, as we go through the year, the effectiveness of products varies, and the most important time to control nutsedge is when in the spring, when the new shoots come out, when they have three to five leaves, you need to start on them. Then it hits a point when it gets past five leaves that it's not taking products down. The products will kill the top. They won't go down and kill the nut like they will early on. So this is going to be one you need to stick around for. And I just would say my website is gardening with skip dot com. That's where my schedules are. This will be up early this week, and I would encourage you. The long version is for pages, but it has a lot of information that you really need to know and think about. Uh. And then I'll have a short version that's just a one sheet. Here's what you do. But either way you go about it, check those out so you make sure when you go after it you're not wasting your time and money.
Speaker 16: Right right right, all right.
Speaker 14: Complicated creature it.
Speaker 1: Is, and it's not easy. It's one of the number if you were to look around the world at the top five weeds. That's one of them. That's one of them. All right, Thank you, Connie, I appreciate I appreciate you call very much. We got to run to a break. When we come back, Lynn, you'll be our first up. Glad you're with us today. Looking forward to talking to you about the things that are of interest to you to help you have a more bountiful garden and certainly a more beautiful landscape. If you're looking for a natural fertilizer product that would give your lawn a really good and quick boost. By the way, Sweet Green from Nitrovoss is a product that'll do that. It's a molasses based product, and being molasses based, it's going to provide carbon, which anytime organic gardeners know this. When you put molasses in the soil, it gives a boost of beneficial microbes in the soil by being a source of carbon for them. Now, Sweet Green by Nitrofoss is eleven percent nitrogen, so it's a good boost you're going to want to put about. Generally, I would say we would put ten pounds of it out. I think if it were me, this is my advice on it right now, I would do half of it now because you don't need all of that at one time, So about five pounds per thousand square feet right now, and then six to eight weeks later do it again with the other five pounds, and that will give you a more even feed across the summer season. Makes it a little easier to do that. You're going to find night Foss products like sweet Green at Enchanted Forest, which is out in the Richmond Rosenberg area RCW Nursery up on Tomball Parkway, FM two forty nine. They have it up there as well, and I would say maybe one other place growers Outlet up in Willis. How about that. There's a lot of places I could name. Sweet green is widely available, and being a product from Nitrofos, you know you're going to find it in a lot of different kinds of garden centers, feed stores. Certainly places like Ace Hardware Store, StAst Fertilized, they all carry products like sweet Green from Nitrofos. We're now going to head out to sugar Land to talk to Lynn. Hello, Lynn, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 17: Good morning. Say my high biscus this year have been absolutely gorgeous, and yesterday I noticed there's white powder or on the ends of some of the stems and at the base of some of the flowers. Okay, it's fat pottery.
Speaker 1: M If you kind of poke around in it, you may find some little bugs in there crawling around a little uh, kind of cottonknee bugs, just plump little bugs. If you find that and you're not squeamish, take your thumb and forefinger and just squish them and kind of push down and then slide your thumb to the side just to kind of squish them out that. If you see kind of a pinkish goo, that's mealy bugs that you're seeing, and meaie bugs are a challenge. There are some other plants or bugs that can cause that powdery look, but mealy bugs, if it's hibiscus, that will be the first one that I would think about.
Speaker 17: Me I think there is I think there are some something in that pottery I took.
Speaker 1: Not tell right. So medibugs have a lot of coating on their body, waxy stuff coming out, and it's just almost impossible to get a spray on them. If you were going to try to spray, I would say insecticidal soap or horticultural oil or even nam oil squirted directly on that little group of mealybugs would be something to try. The oils, I would not. I would move it out of the sun, the direct sun to use those, because it's going to be blazing hot this week, and we oil on plants or soap on plants when the sun is shining, and that good but horticultural lobient option. If it were mine, I would take a strong water pistol gun for the hose, you know those little spray guns. Yeah, And I would put my hand behind it and I would just try to blast them off of there. They're not going to land on the ground and go crawl back up on the plant, at least not to any degree. And I would physically remove them. They do natural enemies, excuse me. Whenever you spray pesticides, you often kill natural enemies too, and then the media has become even more of a problem. So the blast with water or the just the spray of oil directly onto those particular critters is important anytime you find them anywhere, if it's just on the ends of a shoot somewhere. Printing it out is also a good idea. Just get them out of the area, because again they're hard to control with sprays.
Speaker 17: Oh great, Well, yeah, that's absolutely gorgeous. But I did take a pose and use the jet spray and spray all said. I took a scott tell to to see if I could see anything in it, but I didn't. And also, if I can say go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was going to, Well, if you blast them as good as you can, once it dries, you look back. It wouldn't hurt to get a little cotton swab and put some rubbing alcohol on it and just kind of dab it in there, because that will cut through that and kill them. Also so that some people use a Q tip, I think that's a little too tedious for me, but whatever works for you. But the main thing is you're just there. You know, you don't have an acre of hibiscus, So you got a plan or two or three, and you can do some regular checking and prompt control because they tend to stick around.
Speaker 17: All right, that's great. Let me say one more thing. Yesterday I had Tears Landscapes put in a French train and they did a fabulous top job.
Speaker 1: Well that's wonderful to hear. I'm glad here. I wouldn't expect anything less, but they really are good at that. So good for you. You're going to be able to grow more stuff back there.
Speaker 17: Well I needed it, Chris Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, you bet, thank you. I appreciate that. Collin, thanks for that report on them too. If you're up in the Tombol area and you're looking for a feed store, D and D feeds out west of town. D and D Feed carries ever fertilizer I talk about on guarden line. They have a good supply. They have a good supply of pest management products inside as well. D and D Feed is going to carry those soil products like from heirloom, the age leapmo compost, the rose soil, the fruit berry, citrus, veggie and herbs. All those you're going to find them at D and D Feed. They have a selection of plants seasonally out front also, but when you go inside, that's where you're going to find a lot of things to help you have a beautiful, bountiful garden and landscape. D and D Feed just to the west of Tomball on twenty nine to twenty. Their number if you'd like to give them a call two eight one three five one seventy one forty four to eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Head out now to Steve and Tomball.
Speaker 4: Hello, Steve, hey, Skip, Hey, I'm in a constant war here with the storm leaf feed or at. I got some block and I called in a couple of weeks ago. You were going to send me the recipe to mix with it, and.
Speaker 3: I just used it.
Speaker 1: Did you send me an email? Did I get an email from you?
Speaker 4: I gave it to your skull cleaner, you call clean?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna put you on hold and ask you to do that again. I do not remember seeing an email, So just send me a fresh one, and that way it'll be on the top of my list, and I'll send you what you do, how you do it, what you mix and everything, how to go about it, and we'll make sure and get that covering for you. Okay, okay, yeah, all right, I apologize for that if we didn't get that done the first time. Yeah, leave cut our ants. They're not something to mess with. Well I hear the music. That means we're putting an hour in the books here on garden Line. Just a reminder, if you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com you'll find my lawncare our guides in there. That would be the lawn care schedule, which is bowing water and fertilizing, you know, how do you care for your lawn? And then the other schedule is the pest disease and we'd management schedule and that's how do you deal with all the things that want to mess up your lawn. And so you can find either of those. By the way, both of them have organic and synthetic options out there for you. We put the product's names on the label that we would recommend for the particular things you run into. It just makes it easy to go shop to turn them out, take them with you. Hr H.
Speaker 5: Kt RH Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 6: Welcome to kt RH Garden Line with Scared Ricter.
Speaker 7: It's just watch him as well.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Garden Laws. We are glad you're with us today. We're here to talk about the things that interest you. What is that well, give us a call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. That talking to earlier about I was mentioning the fact that our landscapes are sea of green and the importance of you know, putting some color in the landscapes. And I know it's it's hot outside, and I know you know that takes the enthusiasm out of gardening for gardeners, but the morning hours are still good times to be out and to take care of things in the lawn and landscape, and whether you're planting new plants or in establishing getting them going so you can still have that beauty. Don't wait till fall to have beauty, or if you're dealing with problems in the landscape and now's the time to get out there. There's a saying that the best fertilizer or the is the footprints of the gardener, and what that basically means is the more you get out in your garden, the better your garden is going to do. That basically is what it amounts to, and it's for a lot of different reasons. I would say also the best pest and disease control is the footprints of the gardener. And when it comes to diseases, we have very few things that are curative in the way of sprays. We have things most fungicides specterocides and things are preventative. They do best at preventing, especially fungicides when it comes to that. So I've noticed in lawns these last few weeks, with all the rain and cloudy weather that comes with rain that we had, there has been an uptick in gray leaf spot in Saint Augustine. Gray leaf spot is a little well it's the name says it. It's a little gray spots on the blades of Saint Augustine grass. Now, from a distance, you may look at it and it kind of has a yellowing look to it. It's just something because there's very yellow leaves in it. Those are leaves that have a lot of spots on them, and if you get up close and look at it, you can see those spots. I mean they're everywhere. Now people say, well, where did it come from. Well, it's ubiquitous. And that's true of a lot of diseases. And an example I get this isn't a disease, but if you had brick on the side of your house in a shady area, there's no algae on the brick. But if you start if you had a mester going and it kept that brick wet or moist suddenly you would see algae growing everywhere. Where did the algae come from. It's out there, it's in the environment. You just gave it the environment that it wants to thrive. And the same is true with diseases. When you shade Saint Augustine a lot, when you increase the humidity, you keep the leaves, the grass blades wet longer periods of time. Gray leaf spot's going to be a problem. Excessive amounts of nitrogen also push the grass toward certain problems like gray leaf spot. So when you see that in the lawn, there's a couple of things you can do. People want to spray it, and you can spray to prevent further infection, but you're not going to cure the spots that are there. And I had some in my lawn a little bit earlier when we had that kind of rain we were having, and I just keep going, just mow it and keep going. The grass comes back in and it ends up looking pretty good. In fact, it might right now if I went out, I'd have to get on my hands and knees down in there to find that old gray leaf spot infected blades. But if you want to spray, you have to use a fungicides bit. It's better with any fungicide treatment to be preventative because once you have the spots, it's not going to cure it. It's not going to make what's their goal away. It just prevents additional infections. I hope that makes sense. That is kind of the bottom line on when we're dealing with certain kinds of disease problems. But if you see that gray leaf spot, then that is a good sign that you know it's been those conditions. I'm going to do a little right up on it. And you know what I'm going to do in order to have some gray leaf spot to do in the right up, go out to a corner of my yard and throw a piece of plywood on the grass. Just leave it there on the grass. What does that do? That shades it and that creates the perfect humidity chamber underneath there for disease proliferation. Leave it on there for about a week and then pick it up. Maybe not at full we just check it periodically, but you will start to see gray leaf spot all over those leaves, and so I can get some really good pictures of it. It's not gonna kill my grass. I guess if I left the plywood long enough, it would. But that just proves the point of what causes that disease to proliferate because underneath that that plywood piece of ply with that, you're going to see the disease, where right around it you didn't. What's the difference environment, the environment that promotes or the environment that doesn't promote the disease. Well, hopefully that made a little bit of sense. You were listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter. Our phone number if you'd like to give us a call is seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. By the way, having a beautiful lawn is a goal for many people. I mean, lawns are the carpets of our landscape. And Medina has a new product that's part of their hastrogro line called super Grow Plus. Medina super Grow Plus. It's a sixteen zero two fertilizer sixteen O two that's the ratio of nutrients or the amount of nutrients on it. It contains about a fifth of the nitrogen in a slow release form, which is nice. It contains a lot of other cool stuff like seaweed extract and molasses and humic acid and an iron in a keylated and when you're seeing yellowing areas of your lawn, I would get some hash to grow Supergrow Plus. It hooks up to a garden hose, covers about four thousand square feet. It'll take you about ten minutes. It takes about ten minutes to just run over that area that one court bottle and you can give a quick boost a folier feed along with it going down in the ground and the roots take it up too. That's all happening with has to Grow Supergrow Plus widely available, like all Medina products are, that is one that is new. I'm pretty excited about it. I think it's a really good addition to their line. In fact, this week coming week, I've got some areas where I'm going to go out and use that again on my lawn because of the results that we see. Our phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. You hear me talking about birds all the time, and I have a bird feeder that has a little camera in it. My kids gave it to me a couple of Christmases ago, and it's got a little camera in it and you hook up. You got an app on your phone and whenever a bird lands, it takes a picture, and it also take videos. It's pretty smart. It knows you know just how to how to do that, and you get some really good close ups. I mean it's almost like, you know, you look through one of those those peep holes in your door where you can see who's standing outside your house, and then they put their face up to the people. That's kind of what the birds look like, except that it's not such a FISHII effect in it. But I was at my granddaughter with me and we were taking a look at some of the email messages or the notifications I should say that I got saying somebody's been at your feeder. And so it's kind of cool, pretty exciting. We've seeing all kinds of birds. You can collect them. It'll also it has some other cool features in it. But the bottom line is I had to put some new fresh feed in and when I went out to do that, I noticed that there was a lot of moldy feed down in the bottom from all this rain, I hadn't checked it in a while, so you want to wash that out really good. You know, birds can get diseases too, and so you always want to keep those feeders clean and you want to use a quality feed. That is important, and that's where Warbirds Unlimited comes in. Most cheap feeds out there are going to contain a lot of the little red bebies. That's a type of seed that birds don't particularly care for. They kick it on the ground and they don't care for it. So when you buy a pound of that feed, you don't get a pound of bird food. You get some on the ground and then some in the birds. Warbirds Unlimited feeds are not that way. You can buy blends for various kinds of birds for various times of the year. They have it all right now. I think the Nesting super blend is a really good one. They have many good blends, and if you walk into Wallbirds, I'll tell you which one is the best one to use. You also need to check out their Wallbirds Unlimited Squirrel excluding feeder. I'm telling you if you get frustrated with squirrels getting out and eating all the bird seed and you've tried everything squirrels are smart. You got to try this feeder. It really really works. Took a little video of at the other day. I'm on post on Facebook that it's just you know, squirrels just can't get in. They just don't get into it. And it's all Wallbirds Unlimited. If you go to WBU dot com forward Slash Houston, WBU dot Com forward Slash Houston, you'll see the Wallbird stores. There are six of them here in the Houston area. What's time for me to take a break. I'll be right back and as we come back, John and Tomball you'll be our first up. As well as if you are dealing with weeds in your landscape, it's because you're allowing the sunlight to hit the soil if they're coming from seed, and you got to keep the soul surface covered. That's called maltching. That's what the forest does. That's what nature does. And when that happens, you don't have as many weed problems. And listen, when it's ninety five plus degrees outside, I want to be out there pulling weeds right well. Landscaper's pride has got you set. They've got a number of different high quality products that are mulches that go on the surface that help, and I've talked about those for weeks now, different various ones. There's a number also of quality soil amending type products. They have a healthy soil compost, it's made recycle composted plant material. It's got a neutral pH and it releases its nutrients back into the soil. Black Humus is a dark, rich organic mix of composted pine bark with loamy topsoil. Helps will hold water in that soil mix, and it's great for a brand new bed or for renovating a bed as well, does well in pretty much any growing condition. Mushroom composts. Those of you are familiar with mushroom composts know that it's really a boost. It's regionally sourced here, it's composted with age pine, and that product also really stimulates organic activity. Someday I have to tell you a story about mushroom compost and the difference it made in a test we did a while back. Landscaper Spride's got that Gardener's Magic's organic pine based mix, Got Humus, got screen pine composted rice holes chicken pillet fertilizer, which is going to give you about a three month release. It's really ideal for raisbed gardens and container gardens, all from Landscaper's Pride and you can just go to their website Landscaperspride dot com to find out where you can purchase it near you, and there are many many places that carry it here in the greater Houston area. We're going to go now out to Tomball, Texas and talk to John.
Speaker 3: Hello, John, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well.
Speaker 3: Thank you good.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 18: My problem is it's not necessarily Carolina creeper, but it's one of the creeper vines. Basically, there's a traveling route about about as big around as my thumb that it'll send up shoots that have pointed, diamond shaped leaves and about clusters of five or six. And I'll used a couple of different herbicides and I'll burn the top down, but I'll never get something that it's not playing that that traveling route.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll pull them up.
Speaker 18: I'll pull that root and it's ten feet long.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I think what you're talking about is something called pepper vine, but it doesn't really matter which it is. What you're gonna want to do is get a product containing trichlope here t r I c l O p y r, and you you can spray it on the leaves. You can use a wiper applicator to put it on the leaves, and you can also use a little sponge brush to paint it if you will. The product product straight in this case, and the brush along the vine itself so that vine is very thin skinned and that tricl a peer soaks in and it will kill it that way as well. But you have to stay with it because it's got so much underground crawling around structure. Just one application is not going to go through and kill everything all the way back wherever the vine came originally came from. So just stay with it. But when it comes up, if you do that each time, you'll knock it way back and you'll eventually win. But t r I c l O p y r is the ingredient, and you'll find it in poison ivy killers and stump and brush killers, and the brands and the names are varied, but that's the ingredient to look for.
Speaker 3: Okay, very good, Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're up there. Like in Tombo, if you've got to D and D feed on twenty and twenty west. They're going to have a tricle appear out there.
Speaker 3: Very good, All right, much appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your help, you bet, thank you. I appreciate your call. Let's see here, get to our next call. We're going to go to talk to Ken out in Magnolia. Hello, Ken, Welcome to.
Speaker 12: Gardline, Boria.
Speaker 19: Sir, how are you?
Speaker 20: Thanks for taking my call? All right, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 9: What my issue is is I have.
Speaker 20: A Kalopenia plant that was doing really well and it all of a sudden, I noticed that the leaves were starting to droop a lot, and I thought it was a water issue. Check the soiled soil was fine and everything, and I think what it may be is it may be root rot. Is there any way too, Is there any way of taking care of that?
Speaker 1: Not really with something that's a little warm seedan you're like a kalopena would be. It may be root rot. It could be some other things. There are diseases that plug the plumbing of the plant. They get inside the structures that take water from the roots to the top. It could be one of those, and there's not a good control on that edible plant. Uh, okay to control that. It could be nematodes and the soil. Nematods can be a real problem for plants as well.
Speaker 19: Okay, if it's yeah, yes, or go ahead. I'm sorry now, I'm just gonna say if it's that, yes, go ahead, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: If it's if it's nematods, uh, there's not a cure for it, but there's things you can do over time to control their numbers, to lessen their numbers. But the main thing would be don't plant anything there that gets nematods for the next several years, and and and take out the steps. But you would have to get some roots, kind of wash them out of the ground to take a look at them, because they're gonna have lots of little hard knots or bumps on them, like a string of pearls, but much uglier than that.
Speaker 20: Okay, okay, all right, well I appreciate it. I'll try that any Thank.
Speaker 1: You, and a ken if you if you want to, if you want to take pictures of what you see and send it to me, I'll be happy to take a look. So I can put you on hold if you would like, and when you get some pictures like the roots and you want to know is this nematodes or whatever? Just you just email them to I'll put you on hold.
Speaker 20: And okay, I'm actually.
Speaker 18: Driving, so sent a man a different time.
Speaker 12: That's okay, but I appreciate it, sir.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 9: Imp great date you met.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you. Let's see we need to run out now to Orange, Texas and talk to Joey.
Speaker 21: Hey, Joey, hey, boss Hey, I got a lemon tree that's grown back after the freeze, and.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if I could uh graph that.
Speaker 20: If so work, I could get a graph from.
Speaker 1: You would just have to find somebody that has what you want to graph to it. You can pretty much probably graph pretty much any kind of citrus to it that you want. But if you want another myerline under some thing and you're just doing it for your backyard home plant that I think that that's fine. You just you gotta find somebody that Scott one and what you'll do is you want to use at this time of year, you'll want to use a tea bud and you can go online to find out how do you do tea buds? And then I would I would do that near the bottom of the plant, wrap it up really good with something to hold the moisture in, and then once you see there's still life in the bud that you put in, then you end up kind of breaking the top over and that forces that bud to push out in a row. But that's that's what.
Speaker 9: You do, okay.
Speaker 22: And I can do that like a couple of different spots.
Speaker 12: Would that be okay?
Speaker 1: You could? I would do two on it, and not by one under the other, but like one on one side, one on the other. And if you fail, you'll get reach sprouting of the rootstock, and then you can try it again in the wintertime, late winter or something. You can do something a cleft graph that works really well too, or even in the spring.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, all right, okay, Dan, yes, sir.
Speaker 23: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Hew both all right, Joey, thanks a lot. I like that lemon question and orange Texas that isn't citrus. I don't know what it is, very cool, listen. Arburgate Garden Center is one of the places that you have to take people when they come visit. It's also a place you have to go yourself. Arburgate is a wonderland garden Center. It just it. I see people get out of their cars there and they're smiles on their faces as there is on mine, because you just look and you go, oh my gosh, it's Disneyland. Here we go. They got plants of every kind, you can imagine, stuff you never heard of. They have people walking around that are experts, Beverly and Kennon and the whole team there. They know what they're talking about, and they can guide you to plants for any situation you've got. You just describe the situation and they can help you find the right plant for that. They carry the products that you want to go with it, such as their completely easy one two three system. It's a soil for anything with roots. It is a compost for anything with roots, and it is a fertilizer for anything with roots. And when you get those three, you've done what I always harp on here on Guardline, and that is take care of the brown stuff before you worry about the green stuff. So you take those three products from Marburgate, put them together and create that perfect environment, and then you put that wonderful plant in it and it's going to thrive. That is the secret to success. It's really no secret, but that is the secret to success. I enjoy enjoy visiting there all the time, and it's just I see plants I've never seen before every time I go. I mean, there's no end to the number of plants that are available out here. Some of you have been dealing with these power outages and you've been thinking about getting us a generator. Well, Quality Home Products is where I would get it. Number one they got They had the Generac generator, which is a top quality brand there. They carry other things as well, but a Generac is super generator. Five hundred dollars off when you trade in your old portable generator, any brand or size, and then you can also know that when you go with Quality Home, you're going to get service that is outstanding. Now, let me tell you something about generators. Right now, with these storms we've had, people are going crazy calling for generators. I think quality I had a guy from Quality Home last weekend and it was like they got I don't know, thousands of calls a day coming in there. So be patient with them. They are doing all they can. They're covered up, but you're not going to find a quality generator with the service from the time you call them and are asking questions about which one do I need to the time they walk away, to the time months or years later when you need help Quality home products seven one three Quality or if you want to go to the website, which I'd recommend you do qualitytx dot com. We're going to take a break now, we'll be right back. And when we come back, by the way, Eric and Cyprus, Bread and sugar Land and John in League City here I need to go home. Hey, welcome back to garden Line, your host, Skip Richter. We're glad you're listening today. We got plenty to talk about. In fact, we're going to run straight to the phones here if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two kt r H. Go to sugar Land now and talk to Fred. Hello, Fred, Welcome to Gardenland.
Speaker 16: Skip, good morning. Do you prefer on landscape bids the use of pine mark mulch or hardwood malt? And in putting it in? Are you an advocate of removing the leaves and old mulch? Are just going on top of it?
Speaker 1: Good questions?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 1: One is fine either mulch is fine. Pine bark tends to be a little slower to decompose, so it lasts a little bit longer, but that can be a plus. But also the fact that mulch is decomposing is building that soil over time, and so I don't see rapid decomposition is really a big deal. Certainly not a big negative. So either way you can go is just fine. As far as whether you remove old stuff, no, put the new stuff on top. Think about the forest. Every year, new leaves fall on top of the old leaves that were just laying their dead dry, and now those covered leaves begin to decompose and every bit of organic matter releases all the nutrients that are in it back into the soil, stimulates microbial, beneficial microbes, and just makes the root zone much much better. So yes, leave the old, don't pull it out.
Speaker 16: Okay, Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate your appreciate your question. We're going to go now to Cyprus and talk to Eric. Hello.
Speaker 11: Eric, Hey, Skip, I got a couple of things I want to ask you about. First. This last spring, I got my first crop of burweed in the backyard. I'd never seen it before. I've got kind of a sparse backyard, and I'll be darn at that stuff didn't just pop up everywhere, and uh, once it gets mature and you start walking on it, it is not fun to get that people and those things out of your feet. So my question for you is what do I do to kill it? Maybe for the next season it it burned off and disappeared kind of Uh, but I've got I've got kids running around the backyard, and I've got an above ground pool, So I'm thinking, I really don't. You know, it's not friendly the bare feet. So what's your best your solution.
Speaker 1: You're you're saying, uh, Eric, that that the plants themselves of the weed are pretty much gone, now right, Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, once it got hot, they just shrilled up. But then again there's still those birds. They don't disappear necessarily, but they okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically, you know you're not gonna get the birds out of the of the lawn that are already there, and that certainly is a lot of seeds, so it will be back. The number one thing you need to do is the mow water fertilized regimen that builds the densest possible lawn. The denser your lawn the less sunlight hits the soil, the less bur weed seed can sprout and successfully establish a plant. I suspect that last summer's heat and drought did a little bit of thinning in your lawn and probably opened the door for this year to be such a rough year with those. But so if you go online, I don't know if you've ever downloaded my schedule from gardening with Skip dot com, but it tells you exactly when and what to apply and how to mow and water and everything to have that success. So that's number one. Number two is you can use a pre emergent herbicide if you feel like you still you know you haven't achieved that fully deep denslan. A pre emergent herbicide will prevent wheat seeds from germinating. And we talk about barricade from nitrofoss that will control grassy and broad leaf weeds. With each product you use, it's not like every weed out there it'll kill, you know, there's some that it's better at than others. There's a product called Gallery that is focused just on broad leaves but doesn't control grassys. The barricade will do both. So if you try something and you don't feel like you had the success you needed, you may want to switch to something different. It may be better against that weed. But either way, on my schedule that now this I'm talking about the other schedule now, the pest disease and wheat management. It tells you exactly the products to use and when to apply them because you've got to get in before the the burweeds sprouts.
Speaker 11: I've been kind of stingy on the on the chemicals in the backyard because I've got pets back there they go around and two on the grass. And then of course I mentioned already grandkids. So any of these or most of these safe after you apply. I mean, I know there's the spray that's going to get on the planet itself, and then there's the granule it's just going to kind of be on the on the ground. But that's that's been my main concern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand, and and people have different opinions about that. There's certainly any chemical, whether it's used to control weeds in the lawn or suffuse around the house, even can be dangerous if if your exposure to it is great enough, or they use it in certain ways. You shouldn't Uh, so that I'll lead that decision for sure up to you. But if you wanted to go with an organic product, the only one out there that has some success is gluten meal. The problem with corn gluten meal is due to things in nature I won't bore you with, but basically too much moisture, soul moisture. It often is not successful. But that's the organic pre emergent option that's on my schedule. I still thought that the turf density really is what you're going to want based on listening to your question there, Eric, And you could also do if it's compacted and it's a clay, you could have it aer rated and do accomplished top dressing that stimulates density and growth as well, So that would be another option for you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's some large sections where there's no there's no more, say in Augustine, it's like mostly crab grass. So I'm thinking it's going to be a dig it up and side some of these sections because there's no recruit and.
Speaker 1: Do it now may soon because grass can can root in in this hot weather. You just have to when you sod for the first week, you're gonna water it twice a day and not too much water, but water twice a day, then water once a day for the next week, and then gradually wean it off. But you can get sod to take and if you've got big areas, there's no getting the turf dense because there's no turf, so definitely sodding it now would be important.
Speaker 11: All right, And this is an area where that gets it gets kind of flooded when it rains. I mean, my yard can have inches of water. So if it goes fresh sod with that liluin it, you think it is a wet period After that.
Speaker 1: Well, a wet period not so much. You know, if it's under water for a week, that's not good. But I think based on what we're saying, making sure you get grass down where there's not grass, and then everywhere you can make it as dense as you can, that's really going to be your way out of this. Hey, I got a really quick if you yeah, thank you very much, appreciate call uh. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. When we come back, John and John. We got two John's win in Crosby won in League City. You're the first two guys out. Welcome back. To garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Ricord. We're here to answer gardening questions. All you got to do is call us at seven one three two one two k t R H. And we're gonna run right out here to League City, Texas and talk to John. Welcome to garden Line, John, Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 24: Hey.
Speaker 25: I apologize if you've answered this question probably a thousand times by now, but I think I have what it looks like brown patch. It's a circular yellowish area and although I thought that was only in cooler temperatures, but it looks like brown patch anyway, first you think it is brown patch, and then secondly will this Will this go away on its own with the heat unless rain, or or do I need to treat this area?
Speaker 1: So it could be brown patch or it could be another brown patch. The genus is Rhizoctonia, and there are a number of different rhizoctonias that will attack your lawn. There's one they refer to as summer patch. It's a little different strain of the disease, but it really doesn't matter which it is. We have had cooler temperatures, not fall cooler temperatures, but our summer we had some days that were didn't make it past the mid eighties. And so with all the wet conditions were right and we saw a little bit of it crop out, I would not worry about it right now. You're not going to fix where it's already infected. It'll regreen, new grass blades will come back in there, and so I would just say focus on don't over water your grass shouldn't need water in more than once a week if it's got a decent root system, if you're not dealing with some take all root rod or some other disease, once a week should be enough at the most twice a week. But give it a good soaking early in the morning so it dries out then as the sun comes up and shine on it. And I think you can just grow your way out of this one.
Speaker 25: Okay, you don't think this is something that's gonna get worse if as long as the weather stays a little warmer, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so, No, I really don't. And so now if if there's something I'm not aware of, like maybe there's a water leak in that area and it's just staying real wet and there's other issues going on, well those kind of things that's outside the box. But in general, uh, the rizectonia diseases, with proper watering and some good warm temperatures, you shouldn't you shouldn't be seeing the issues continue with that, Okay.
Speaker 25: And if it did start to grow, what would you recommend I treat it with?
Speaker 3: On what five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good question. On my on my schedule which is online at gardening with Skip dot com. You can go read it, download it. In fact, I encourage everybody to just download it and have it on your computer or print it out in the garage. So if you look where we talk about fungicides for the large patch or brown patch, nightro Fast has something called Total brown Patch Control, and they have another product called Eagle Microlife has a product that has got brown patch in the name of the product, and they are looking instead of for chemicals to control it, they're looking more at microbial activity to help suppress that in their product. So you've got organic and synthetic options, you know, for dealing with some of these diseases. But I'm telling you, if it were my yard, I don't think I would bother worrying about spraying it. But if you need to it's on the schedule. Okay, thank you very much. All right, thanks for the call, appreciate that you wish you well getting that under control. I'm sure it will will, bet that it will fix itself. Now we're going to go to Crosby and talk to another John. Welcome to Guardline, John.
Speaker 26: Thank you for taking A year ago, I bought aload of mulch and put around my Mexican heather, my hedges and my trees.
Speaker 3: This year everything is dead.
Speaker 1: How do I neutralize that mulch? Well, I would be very surprised if putting mulch around a tree just killed it like that that fast. That doesn't sound right. When you put the mulch out, did you smell anything like ammonia or kind of a sulfury swamp gas smell, a sewer smell or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: It was over a year ago. Yeah, okay, Well, I don't think it's the multch that did it. Why now you're saying how many plants? Is it more than one tree?
Speaker 3: I have a maple tree that killed it.
Speaker 21: I had Mexican heather around the front of my house in front of the hedges, and it killed everything that I put the maultchround.
Speaker 1: Was this a store bought mult or was this something you got from somebody who ground up a bunch of trees and dumped it in your driveway or what.
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 12: A bolt mulch.
Speaker 19: I don't know where the guy got it, but I bought a pickup load.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well there, you know there's there is the possibility of toxic mults and toxic composts and products and stuff when people don't do it right. That's why we take great pains to talk about like airloom soils and landscaper's pride and nature's way up in the Conro area because they do it right. But it's possible to have those kinds of things, and it's possible for those to kill plants. But usually you know, you've kind of like when you're putting it out, you're going, man, this stuff stinks really bad, and you know something's a little bit wrong. You know, I at this point, I don't think I would worry about it. And so long that a lot of the things that happened because inappropriate decomposing of the product. Uh, they've kind of run their course and it should be okay. Now, if you wanted to pull it all out and put fresh melt in. You could, but I don't know an ongoing issue that if you put it out that long ago that would still be around to be a concern. So that that's my two cents worth on it. Okay, Yeah, I've just got to replan everything. That's a shame. I hate to see that happen. I appreciate you. Call John, you take care. Yeah, I was talking about while ago about Microlife has their brown Patch product in a bag. Microlife has a number of different products. You know. They got the Green which is the one we think of as the lawn fertilizer six two four, which you can use for anything you want, the Humans Plus which is zero zero four, which is an excellent product for helping. Just think of it as concentrated comple in a bag. Microlife also has a lot of really quality liquid products. You can get a fish emulsion type product called Ocean Harvest. They have a seaweed type product. They also have their Biomatrix that's an orange labeled bottle. I use it a lot for houseplants. It's not just for ausplants. I could be using it outside. I don't know why. I just kind of started using an own houseplants on winter. And you know it's excellent for all kinds of things. It's full of microbes like all microlife products are. And so you know you're doing the thing I always say, and that is what brown stuff before green stuff. In other words, get the foundation right, get the soil right, make the microbes happy, which makes the roots happy, and then when you have your plants, they're going to thrive. Microlife Fertilizer dot com is the website. If you want to find out where to get it. I can just tell you this. It's widely available all over the place. We're going to head now out to Paul. Hello, Paul, Welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 27: I have a story about a neighbor that built a fence, readywood fence on their driveway between my house and theirs, and then they put a some kind of vine or something I don't know, and it's crossing over to my house and climbing the brick wall. Okay, I want to, you know, knock it out on my side.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm hearing music playing, so I'm gonna give you as quick an answer as I can. I think you're going to need to use a product containing triclop here t R I C l O P y R. Now, hand removal is an option, but that's a lot of work. And I'm suspecting from your question you're wanting to spray it. So if I'm wrong, let me know. But trike clop here is in products like poison ivy killer that's a woody vine. It works on that brush and stump control products, and you just know that. Don't spray it on your lawn. Don't spray on any broadly plant you like, like a shrub or a flower or whatever, because it will kill those two. But that would be your best bet. I'm gonna put you on hold. If we're done, you can head out. If not, hang around. We'll talk when we come back.
Speaker 6: Welcome to CAZy r H Garden Line with skin rickards.
Speaker 7: Just watch you as.
Speaker 1: Many things. Hey, Welcome back to garden line and a good day for gardening. You know that every day is a good day for gardening. I mean people say, what if it's pouring down rain outside, Well, do you have house plants? Do you want to start some sea? Do you want to read some cuttings indoors? See what I'm saying it's always a good day for gardening, even learning about gardening or talking about gardening, which is what we're doing here seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. If you would like to talk about some things going on around your garden and your landscape, I'm going to head straight out to Friendswood and talk to Mark. Now, Hello Mark, and welcome to garden Line. Coll Hey, Mark, you're on garden Line.
Speaker 23: Oh Hi, good morning.
Speaker 22: Sure is joy your show? I'm Prince Wood and uh we cut down a couple of chuck init great myrtles when we bought the house. They're probably twenty five foot doll something like that, and it was we can have it with our patio cracking him. So we cut up down about six months ago. And now we're having large bushes just come out of the malts in the where they were located, and I wondered, is there something that can pour off those bushes to killing.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't even need to use that much product. What you need to get is something that contains the ingredient trichlope here t R I c l O P y R tracle peer is found in poison ivy control products. It's found in brush control or some of them will call stump and brush remover. Whatever it is you're gonna you're gonna find tricle peer present in that product. You're out there in Richmond Rosenberg area, you got plantation Ace it's not too far from me. You got some great garden centers out in that area, so it's easy to find, easy to find that product. The way to use it is you can spray that on the foliage and it'll take it up and go down in it and do the job. You can also cut things off, like when you first cut that stump off, if you had put triple here right when you cut it, same day, same hour, but trickle up here around the outside edge of that cut stump, all that fresh wound would have taken it in and you can kill it things that way too with it. If you've got desirable plants alex that are nearby, I would excuse me mark that are nearby, I would avoid spraying because it can drift over and it'll kill lots of things, not just stuff you don't like.
Speaker 22: Okay, would that be at ACE Hardware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get that at ACE Hardwhere you've got a plantation Ace. That's probably pretty close to you out there, and okesman Rosenberg for example.
Speaker 23: All right, well, surety, thank you listening to these morning shows on the weekends for decades, and sure you appreciate what you done to carry on.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I appreciate comments and thanks for being a listener. Take care, good luck to getting that under control. We're gonna now head out to Richmond, Texas. Well we're just kind of excuse me, not Richmond, Texas. What did I do here? Oh? Finding the right button here to Riah Richmond. We're going to talk to Alex. Hello Alex, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Thanks give good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 16: Hey.
Speaker 28: So I've got an elm tree. It's planted a couple of years ago. It's maybe five inches in diameter. And when Hurricane Barrel came through between the rain and the wind, I can see the top of the roots, and if I actually push on the tree, it does move slightly underground. I just want to know if I need to get tea posts and restake it, or just kind of cover it with some composts and let the roots do their thing underground.
Speaker 1: So this tree is not leaning way over, it's just moving. Is that right.
Speaker 28: Yeah, sure, not not a lot of lean though. It's just it's just slightly wiggily when I when I push on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, other people are going to have issues like this, so I'm going to answer a little more than your question because I know we have other folks listening, and one size doesn't fit all. When a tree has been in the ground, let's say three years or less, we say you can stand them back up, stake them in place, and you're going to need to leave the stake there for a good while, uh, and it'll be it'll eventually get strong again. If it's been in the ground longer than that, which yours probably has, right, then we always say, well, yeah, I don't lean them back up again, but.
Speaker 28: Yours is because it's been there about two years.
Speaker 1: Oh too. Okay, Well, then what I would do is I would get some with that size trunk, I'd probably get some guy wires in this case. Normally I like the three sixty tree stabilizer, but this is a huge tree with a canopy that's pretty strong, so you could use the stabilizers if you use two or three of them on it, or you you just use the wires but pull it into place, and you're going to need to leave these there. If it can move a little bit, that's good. You don't need it to just be totally immovable, but just a little little motion in the wind is okay. And it's going to take a long time for it to establish a strong supportive root system because roots will grow out, but there'll be little, tiny roots, and you know, they're not enough to support the tree. What it had was not enough to support it with the wind we had. So I would say this may be a two year or longer, probably three year process of you letting it get a good root system before you turn it loose to stand on its own in the wind. But in the meantime, especially as we get into the second year, letting that trunk move a little bit helps create that resiliency that you want. All right, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 28: We'll Plantation have that true stabilizer Plantation Marwak.
Speaker 1: They probably do. It's widely available. Plant that's the year. Yeah, Richmond Plantation Ace probably has that out there. I'm trying to think of who else carries it down in your area. I know, if you if you come up to Southwest feed and fertilizer which is in southwest Houston, kind of sugar land direction. They have it there too, So just come around and see plantation a' is gonna be a lot closer to you, so you might want to start that, but then I know you can get it southwest. Good do.
Speaker 28: I'll take plantation then, Shannon, Thanks, Gip.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, all right, good take care? All right, let's see here. We are going to go ahead and go to Houston area and talk to Carol.
Speaker 29: Hello, Carol, Hi, good morning. I am having trouble.
Speaker 15: With basket grass.
Speaker 29: Started out as a little spot in one corner. Had pulled it up, thought we had it under control, and it just seems to keep traveling and taking over the yard. We've used weed killer that doesn't hurt Saint Augustine but just kills the weeds. But once again, when we get some good rain, it seems to revive itself and travel further. And the latest we used was a I think it was a crab.
Speaker 15: Grass powder okay, and has.
Speaker 29: A touch of cinnamon in it, I believe, and that kills it, but we never get the grass back before it pops up again, okay, and then it moves farder.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Carol, I'm up against the heartbreak, so you hang on and when we come back, we'll dive into this one. By the way, did you email me about this or not? Because I got an.
Speaker 29: Email this, Yes, I did, I send photos?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, all right, we'll be right back, folks, if you want to give us a call and get on the board. Chris seven kat r h. I'm good heavy with us. We are going to jump right back into our conversation with Carol about basket grass. Okay, Carol, I saw the photos and yeah, yeah, plenty of it. Basket grass is very difficult to deal with. The cinnamon product agrillon, I believe is effective at just turning it black quickly and burning it back, but it does come back from that. Yeah, And what you've got some big areas where there's essentially a no Saint Augustine. And so if you leave that gap, let's say the vacuum, nature likes to fill up the vacuum with weeds and uh so, uh A couple of options hand digging, which I know you're not going to do that in the amount of area you got, but that is one control where you get out every route thing you can get out of there and just pull it all out. That is a more thorough way than a lot of others.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There are only two products that seem to work on it. And by the way, basket grass when you get over on the east coast and it's a it invades forests. I mean, it is a bad weed, and they they have tried everything they can on it, and it's kind of come down to Glyphos eight, which is the product in roundup, or something called clethodim C L A T h O d I M. The brand name. First of all, Clethod is going to be very hard to find. But the brand name is grass Out Max herbicide. Okay, it kills grasses as round Up does too, So when you use either of those, you're going to kill basket grass and Saint Augustine. But that's the sacrifice and then you come back in with SOD to reside those areas right on top of where it was. Oh okay, either Some people don't like using Glyphos and it's fine.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 1: The clethendem agrissell grassout Max grass out Max. I don't know why. Well, anyway, that is going to be hard to find you might let's see you are okay, you might try calling Southwest Fertilizer and they have it, or or just get the glip was available everywhere, but now round Up is being put out with ingredient other than glyph ess. It's actually several ingredients in the new Roundup and so you would have to purposefully study labels to make sure you're getting the glacoys if you're going to get basket grass control. So basically it's kill, kill everything and replant in those areas.
Speaker 29: Okay, well we'll definitely give that one a try.
Speaker 1: Okay, you take care.
Speaker 15: I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Thanks.
Speaker 23: Bye.
Speaker 1: Oh man. Uh you know, ACE Hardware is also a great place where you can find and all kinds of products. And you know ACE is they're all over the place. I don't care what part of the listening area you are in, there's going to be an ACE Hardware near you. We have forty stores in the Greater Houston area and they always are going to carry products that you need for your lawn, your garden, your landscape. ACE Hardware is the place to get good quality products in a wide variety for landscapes that includes tools and hoses and it includes the things you need on your patio, like a barbecue pit, for example, like a string of lights to make things look really nice out there on a summer evening. And certainly right now mosquito control and fire and control. The floods of rain have really brought those to the forefront, and you've got to get out there and deal with it. And you walk into an ACE Hardware and you say, look, I got mosquitoes. What are the options that I have? And they're going to tell you. They're going to show you the mosquito dunks that you put in standing water, They're going to show you fogers, they're going to show you mosquito repellents and a lot of other options for mosquitoes. And fire ant control. The time to get your bates out to control fire ants, that's the best you know. There's both organic and synthetic baits and you have options there as well as direct mount treatment controls. So you just have to get out and take care of it early on. And now's a good time to do that. And ACE Hardware is a good place to get it. And all the fertilizers I talk about here on Guardline, you're going to find those at ACE Hardware stores as well. Go to Ace Hardware dot com and look for the store locator and it will tell you where the stores are near you. It because a really nice, big old map, and you get a lot of options when it comes to Ace Hardware. We're going to go now to talk to Claudia.
Speaker 24: Hello, Claudia, Hi, thank you for taking my call and stick you about brains and fire ant control and whatnot. I have mushrooms, a lot of mushrooms We've been dealing with even before Barrel came through, especially around my Create myrtles. So I've been fertilizing regularly. So I'm not sure if I'm maybe overfertilizing. I'm not sure if that's even a thing, but I just want I've been just taking them out as much as I can. It's just books sightly, not very curve appealing, but I just wanted to get some advice.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, So as far as fertilizing, I've got a schedule online that tells you how often to fertilize and the products that work best, and so you're welcome to download that or just look at it on my website, okay, And I'd follow that don't over fertilize, but fertilize everything is you know what they say, everything in moderation, whether it's the mount of food we eat or the mind of fertilizer we put on our lawns. So follow that. As far as the mushrooms, they are not disease. The ones you're seeing are not in disease of anything. What they are doing is they're decomposing organic matter under the surface. And one of mushroom's biggest jobs is to take what was once living organic material and turn it back into dirt, back into soil, and so it's actually a sign that good things are happening under the surface.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 1: I know people don't like the looks of them. There's no spray for them. They're just if you want to go in and remove them, that's fine. I like to kind of this is sort of tongue in cheek joking, but if you've got a good golf club, you can have a lot of fun out there with the mushrooms in here you are, So that's another maybe that'll make you feel better, But seriously, it's just part of nature, and we're going to see more of them again when we get into fall. Get a little bit of cool front and some rain, they're going to pop up again. But right now it's just the weather that is rotted all on and they should sort of dissipate a while until the weather conditions are right again for them to set up send up more mushrooms.
Speaker 24: Okay, just just to kind of follow up on that, does does the mulge have something to do with that is too much multch? Did that have something to.
Speaker 1: Do or it's not. No, it's not too much mult But there is a fungal network that grows in that mult starting to decompose it, and that my seleial network is what they call it. When it is the right conditions, it basically fruits or sends up its spore producing structures so it can reproduce itself.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 1: And that would be the mushrooms that you see. So it's there. It's everywhere. You don't even see mushrooms. It's there. It just when the conditions are right, they pop up. And so, yes, you see that in molts. There's a lot of different kinds of things that pop up in multch, but they're they're not a they're not a concern.
Speaker 24: For your plan as Okay, Well, thank you. I will take a look at your fertilizing schedule. I appreciate it my.
Speaker 1: Call you bet you bet well. That fertilizing schedule and the past disease and we'd management schedule are on the website Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot com. You can find them there. There's also articles, you know, seasonally, I'll put things up. I'm about to put up several things that most listeners are going to want to go look at. One of them is an extensive description write up on nuts edge. People call it nutgrass nuts edge. It's like four pages of information. It's a lot, but there are details that if you're really going to go after nuts edge, it would be helpful to know, Like did you know there's a purple and a yellow nut sedge? Did you know the way they produce the tubers the nuts is different? Did you know that there's times at the year on a nuts edge plant where you can effectively control it, and then there's times of the year where you're not going to get effective control. And there's products and they differ in what you can use and so on. So anyway, what are the organic options, what are there synthetic options for controlling nut set. I'll also have a one pager on nuts edge. For those of you who do not want to read all the details, just tell me what to do. There will be a one pager for that. And then I'm putting up a publication on a weed wiper. So when you have weeds that are growing among your desirable plants, how do you spray them without getting spray on your desirable plants? And some people use a shield so you kind of like have a think of it as a board or whatever you want. Some people like cut the bottom out of a milk partner and put that over the spray nozzle and that way they can set it down and no spray escapes. There's ways to do that, but my weed wiper is also a good option. You can reach in there and get the product right on the weed without touching your plant. And for people that would rather go garden more organically, typically the products you use on a weed wiper are not going to be organic products they make. They could be, but at least you're putting a minimum out and you're getting it just on the surface of the weeds foliage, and you're not spraying it out everywhere. And getting it all over the swell and putting a lot of product in the environment. So anyway, just some things to be watching for early next week. They'll be up on the website. I'll talk about them next weekend when we come back as well. If you live done in the League City area, and when I say League City area, I mean clear Lake City, elkam Into, Reale, Lamark, Baycliffe, Dickinson, Santa Fe. Leake City Feed is your hometown feed store now a phone number two eight one three three two sixteen twelve, the hours Monday through Saturday nine to six, closed on Sunday. You know, at League City Feed you're always going to find every product you need to manage things in your landscape. I've been talking about tricle up here today. A lot they've got that at League City Feed. They have the fertilizers I talk about at Lee City Feed, and you get the old time service carry the sacks out or whatever the products are to your car for you. And it's just a good opportunity to find what you need. And it's easy, easy to get to. It's just a few blocks south of Highway or of Highway ninety six on Highway three in League City. Stop by there, say hi, tell them hello, and find what you're looking for. It's time for me to take a little break and that's what we're going to do right now. Garden Line, thanks for joining us today. I'm your host, Skip Richter. And what are we here for. Well, we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. That's what it comes down to. Gardening is the best hobby I think in the whole world. And I'm biased, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I just want to say that. So get out there and let's have success. You know a lot of people feel like, oh, I have a brown thumb, I can't grow anything. No, you don't have a brown thumb. You have an uninformed thumb. And we inform thumbs here on garden Line. And the more you learn, the more you understand what the simple basics are that plants need, the better success you can have, and we point you to that kind of information. We point you to the garden centers where you can find the best selection and the best advice before and after the sale. Here in the area, we talk about the kind of places that carry a lot of products the feed stores, the hardware store, the basically the Ace hardware store, Southwest Fertilizer, all those kinds of places where you're going to find exactly what you're looking for. For example, Southwest, I'll just use that as an example. Southwest is a place where I like to say they don't have it, you don't need it, because they have it. They have the widest selection I know of in the whole region of any kind of thing, whether it's to kill weeds, to deal with pests, to deal with diseases, to fertilize your lawn. If you hear me say a product fertilizers, pest control, whatever on Guardline, they have it at Southwest Fertilizer. If it's synthetic, they have it. If it's organic, they have it. It's the place you can go for everything that you need. Again, knowledgeable people. They can look at a sample, they can look at a photo. They can point you to something that you need. They won't sell you something that's not going to work. They won't sell you something you don't need. It'll advise you on that. Do you need tools and eighty foot wall of tools in Southwest? Do you need the new cool kneeling bench. I say nude. It's I haven't had it in my whole life, but I'll tell you this, it's a top five tools of all the tools I own. Top five kneeling bench. It falls up, you pop it open. It's real easy. You can set on it like a seat, or you can flip it over and kneel down on it and the legs become handles to get back up. Remember that if you're anywhere north of forty and you go out gardening all Saturday and you're up and down, you don't realize it, but a hundred times, yeah, you wake up the next morning in your body has a few things to say about that. Well, the nailing bench will change your life, change your gardening life. It's a really cool took at Southwest Fertilizer. Of course they have them there Southwest Fertilizers on the corner of Businet and Runwick Businet and Runwick in Southwest Houston. You can go to the website Southwest Fertilizer dot com, you know, or just just swing by there and check it out. You find a lot of cool things. For example, when you're at Southwest they're going to have Nitrofoss's Superturf. You've heard me talk about Nitrofoss super Turf a number of times here on guarden Line. It is a product designed by Nitrofos to provide a gradual feeding over a long time. It's the silver bag by Nitropos. The only silver bag of fertilizer I'm aware of anywhere is Nitrovas Superturf, and that's certainly here in the Houston area. That's the one you're going to find. Nitrovas Superturf is a nineteen four to ten fertilizer. It's going to give you a gradual release over three months or more. So you do it if you haven't done, if you haven't fertilized this summer already, put that thing down now, but go ahead and get it done, because it's going to carry you all the way into the fall fertilization. Now it is going to buy gradually feeding. It's going to cut down on your mowing by about twenty five percent because you don't have this flesh of growth like if you use something that was immediately available. It is designed for our soils, it's designed for our climate, and it's easy to find Superturf. It's going to be at places like Plans for all seasons on two forty nine, the Southwest Feed and Fertilizer that I was just talking about. Or if you're in Brennam plants and things carry it as well as other nitrofoss products. Superturf is an excellent product and it'll work very well on your lawn. You are listening to garden Line. If you would like to ask us a gardening question, all you have to do is give us a call. Give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. We'll be happy to visit with you about it. And let's just they lead you to success. That that is my goal is I want. I want gardening to be fun for you. It just really frustrates me and breaks my heart when I hear gardeners or someone say, yeah, I tried growing stuff and everything died and didn't work. Or I grew tomatoes and I never got a tomato and we can fix that. Give us a call. We will help you have success. That is what we're here for. You never fail at gardening. I need you to hear me about that. You never fail at gardening. You only temporarily don't succeed. And if you stay with it and if you figure out what went wrong, you can have success. It's not that difficult. It can be done. I don't want people to feel like they have brown thumbs. There no such a thing. I don't want people to feel like that they can't grow anything. That you know that whatever it's it's it's always a start over and you need to understand something too. I don't care how good of a horticulturist you are. You kill plants sometimes. Someone once said one of the best horticulturists in the country, and many years ago, he said, to be a good horticulturist, she got to kill a lot of plants. And so that's your permission to kill some plants. As you get better and as you learn, nature throws us curves and we have to deal with that. Every year is different, which I think is kind of part of the fun of it because we get to keep challenging. Plus it gives us something else to gripe about, as if we needed that. We can complain about the weather. But if you just get your boots back on and head back out there and get your rotortailler or your spade, get rid of the plant you got, and let's start over again. You will have success. Stick with it. I've talked to somebody recently that was having problems with their soil. They were just having an issue with soil, and we talked about, you know, what could you do to help it? About bottom line in time, as you can turn any area into your version of Eden around your place. I hope you'll I hope you believe that, and I hope you give us a call on guard Line and let us help you do just that. We're going to head out to Crosby, Texas now and talk to Gerald.
Speaker 30: Hello, Gerald, good morning. Now are you well. I have a problem with my front yard. I mean it's got every kind of grass there is to be had growing in it, a Bermuda, Johnson, and plus weeds. I've got that Virginia button weed and clover and some kind of stuff. It's kind of a purple liish looking stuff. Okay, it just kind of spreads and I need to know what I can put on that to kill the weeds and help the grass grow. I mean I put my neighbor told me that that stay green furlized that you can get from lows will kill the button weed. And it did. It killed some other but it didn't. It didn't even bother the clover. In fact, I think it helped it grow more. And that other weed, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: But all right, so Gerald, this is gonna be a little bit of involved question and I have to go to a break, so hang on. When we come back, we'll tackle it and try to help you turn that that place around and get what you're looking for out of it. Thank you very much. Just hang on with me and I'll be right back. Okay, all right, we're gonna take take a break, Folks. When we come back, we'll be with Gerald. Steve, you're next up. If you would like to be on guard line seven one three two, two fifty eight seventy four.
Speaker 2: Hey Ward me, I'll got the same hot.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the guard line. Good to have you with us. We are going to head back out to Crosby and continue our discussion with Gerald.
Speaker 3: Gerald.
Speaker 1: Uh, it sounds like you kind of have the history of weeds going on out there in the lawn. As you were starting to name things, I think if you've got a decent amount of lawn still left, like let's say with then you know there's not areas bigger than about a foot apart where lawn can crawl back in. You can go at it with controlling the weeds and as you bring the turf back in, try to do both. If you've got big areas that are just mostly weeds wider than a foot or so apart, it may be better to just go in and get rid of everything in that area and then put some resow or plugs back in to start working your way across. And you can do that progressively through your lawn if you don't want to tackle the whole thing at once, or you can take it all on at once. But the various weeds that you mentioned johnsyngrass, You mentioned Virginia button weed and some others, and those are all those are all pernicious weeds that aren't real easy to get rid of. Using the right products is important because some things will kill your Saint Augustine too, and you don't want that. But most of the weeds you mentioned are broad leaf. Most of them are broadly and so a broad leaf weed control product would be probably a way to consider going. Okay, Now, the thing about thing about broad leafs in the heat is most products that are on the market that are for spraying onto existing broad leaf weeds will really hurt Saint Augustine when the temperature is above eighty five and we now for a long time above eighty five. So that would mean in spring and in fall is your opportunity to do some weed tackling with those products. There's one that is called Celsius, like the temperature, that is not cheap. It is pricey, but it's pricey because it's a special product. You can use it in warmer weather. I still would do it early in the morning, and it is very effective against things that are hard to kill like Virginia button weed. Even with Celsius, you may not need to make two applications on your button weed starting when you first start to see a good stand of it coming up in spring, but those those would be your your options either way, you're going to be at it for a while. But yeah, that's what that's my first thoughts.
Speaker 30: Okay, so just maybe you know, even get into like a weed and feed, wouldn't knocked some of that stuff out.
Speaker 1: I would I would not do that I think in a situation, I in general, I prefer to use separate fertilizer and weed control. Separate them. And the reason is each weed and feed it has a certain kind of fertilizer, and it has a certain kind of weed control, and maybe the one it has doesn't control the weed you have. Do you see what I'm saying. And the timing and everything. Sometimes the weed and feeds, if it's a pre emergent, the timing can be a little off as to when you would want to fertilize and when you would want to put on a premerge, and it may not be the same. Uh So I would I would rather go at this separately, you know. I mean, if it could come down to you send me a bunch of pictures of the different weeds you got, we could take a look at them and I could say, okay, start with this one and let's get everything you can. But it's also legit in situations where it's just almost all weeds in areas to just go ahead and start from scratch, start over and put some side in and go go with it that way, even if it meant doing it a little at a time to spread the work and the time and the cost out over time.
Speaker 30: Yeah, all right, I think, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you bet. Bye bye. We are now going ahead. Let's who's been waiting here? Steve and East Houston. Hey, Steve, welcome regard line.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 31: Yeah, hey, good morning, Skip. I'd like to I'd like to cut back my land leaf coreopsis.
Speaker 1: It is through blooming, okay, is that you can cut it back?
Speaker 12: Okay?
Speaker 1: I mean, but you had some more to the question. I believe, no that I.
Speaker 12: Guess that was.
Speaker 13: I just didn't.
Speaker 31: I guess I was reluctant to cut it back because I'm afraid that if I cut it back, we have another cost twelve weeks, sixteen weeks of growing something like that before we get a freeze or anything like that. So I didn't want to harm the plant.
Speaker 1: I see. Yeah, well, let's see Caryopsis. A lot of times we refer to them as TICKSI that's another name, because it's a wildflower as well as a garden flower. You know, it's it's it's a good tough plant. But it does have its season, which is pretty much what you're telling me has happened there with it. I would me, damn trying to think of the best weight to suggest something for it. It is going to have I replant mine each year, and so I don't if you tried cutting it back. If you could go back cutting all the twiggy stuff out down to where there's actual foliage, it's got a strappy foliage. Follow that with a little sprinkling a fertilizer and then a good soaking, a good soaking, and that would allow you to give a boost of the plant to come back out and maybe you'll get a little bit more blooming out of it that way. That's that certainly is worth a try if you feel like your plants are in decent health.
Speaker 31: Okay, all right, I'll try that. And I call it nutgrass just just a broad leaved weed killer.
Speaker 1: No, I can't answer nutgrass and in a quick answer online on the air, but I'm gonna give you my website and if you write this down gardening with Skip dot com. Early this next week, three different things are going up that all address dealing with nutgrass, and I would encourage you to take a look at those, because again, it's it's a little more complicated than just go spray this on it. Uh, the go spray this on it. Answer is to use a product called sedgehammer. Sedge hammer, but I would rather you take a look at this publication I'm putting up before you go out and start spraying. I think you'll you'll do a better job with whatever you choose to do.
Speaker 31: Then, Okay gardening with Skip dot Com.
Speaker 1: That's right, that it's okay gardening with Thank you? All right, thank you very much. Appreciate appreciate your call very much. Oh boy, let's see here. Where do we go next? Uh, We're going to go to Devanna up there in Katie And it looks like we're going to talk about the same thing, Divanna.
Speaker 15: Yes, I recently had a cleanup done in my yard that they removed the nut sedge.
Speaker 11: That I had.
Speaker 15: Now that the beds are clean, should I go and spray it with the sedge hammer.
Speaker 1: No, you have to spray that on existing nutsedge.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Depending on the kind of nut sege you have. There's a product called image I m Age that is very effective. But it was you spray it on the foliage, but it also about twenty four hours later you watered in and it also has root activity. But in landscape beds. There are a number of plants that it can damage, and so you have to read the label to see what you can and can't use it around. But that's one that even if you don't have the nutsedge up there, you could spray, you could water it in. I would wait until you had something to spray before you do.
Speaker 15: It, Okay, Well, I just wanted to keep it, you know, controlled now now that the beds are cleaned.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so I'll just wait.
Speaker 1: Yes, go look at my stuff online at gardening. We skipped dot bom. As soon as I can get it up there, I will. It will be early in the week at the latest.
Speaker 12: Uh all right, thank you, Yeah, you bet.
Speaker 1: And it will be back and you will be up for about But that's okay. We're just informing you with that publication on here's how you do it. But you just have to remember when Nut SAIDs you can't stop you can't stop it. You you bet? Thank you very much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 16: All right.
Speaker 1: I hear music. So Ken, I'm friends with Steve your park. We're gonna come to you when we get back from this break. Yeah. Nut's edge is a formidable foe. And that's why I'm putting three different things online about it. It will help you, uh, a little bit of a sordid way to put it. But I like to tell people when you go after nuts edge, it's like you're trying to drown it. You got to hold it under water until a bubble squid coming out, because if you let it up, it takes a gulf of air and you're right back where you started. And a lot of you been right back where you started with unsuccessful attempts tape control that such, we'll be right back.
Speaker 6: Scarp Rickard's.
Speaker 7: Crazy here gas trip, just watch him as well. Many thanks the sea botasy gas, you're.
Speaker 12: Not a side gas.
Speaker 7: The sun beaming.
Speaker 22: Down between.
Speaker 1: Well, come back, welcome back to guard Line. Hey, it's good to have you with us today. I appreciate you listening in and we are gonna start this hour. First of all, I wanted to tell you about Jorges Hidden Gardens. Now, those of you that are down south of Houston, this is a local garden center. We call them the Mom and Pops and this is and it's the independent garden center that's down in Alvin, Texas. Now you probably heard about Horayes before. I don't know if you've heard been, but you need to go visit. They're open on Fridays from nine to three, and on Saturdays from eight to four, and on Sundays from eight to four, so it's easy on the weekends to find time there that you can go in and check things out. There on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, just south of Highway six Elizabeth Street, So those of you in Alvin and Santa Fe, Dickinson Hillcrest, Algoa Arcadia, how about Alta Loma, this is your hometown garden center just real close by there. Seasonally through the year they got all kinds of things. You know, there'll be times where there's tomato plants and other kinds of vegetables and herbs and whatnot. They always have a good selection of fruit trees, fruit trees that are lower chill that do well down in that area. I know this past year, I was so impressed with the Peggy Martin roses. If they had already on little trellis'es that did good krape myrtles. Lots of different trees and things, and they carry that three sixty tree stabilizer that you hear me talk about from time to time. Hojrges Hidden Gardens on Elizabeth Street down in Alvin again Fridays ninety three, Saturdays eight to four, Sundays eight to four. We're going to head to the phones now and I'm going to head to friends Wood and talk to Ken. Hello, Ken, Welcome to garden line. Hey, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 8: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, sir?
Speaker 32: Yeah, Hey, So yeah, I've got a beautiful, you know, Saint Augustine grass yard and over probably the last ten years, been using you know, popular chemical companies here to fertilize and set aside and all that. And you know, in my mind, these companies are always over fertilizing, and ultimately, you know, every year my yard is I guess, you know, I see things. I think it's insects or fungus or whatever. But every year it's gotten a little worse, and you know, I think we finally, my wife and I've decided that it's take all root rot. And this year it's been really bad, I guess because of all the rain and you know, everything that we've read, it's like there, we're just in a really bad place and it's really hard to control. And you know, I so anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I have some other thoughts about how to turn it around, but I really wanted an extraored opinion.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, there's not a there's not just a one step on controlling and take all root rot. If you go to my schedules online at gardening with skip dot com U, there is a whole row across there that's kind of shaded light brown tan colored and it's the disease row. And you'll notice that in the spring there is an optional application for take all in March through early April UH and then in the fall. October and November are two important times to treat for take all. Root rot. One of the most effective products for take all and it's on it's on that schedule if you go. If you go and look at it is the ingredient azoxystrobin and it's a z O x y S t r O ezoxystrobin. Now that that is important. Also important is proper aeration of the soil. Compost top dressings are helpful for that. Any kind of a microboile enriched fertilizer is also going to be helpful for that. There's a product and i'd have to go look look for it. But it's by fertil and it contains micro nutrients. It's it's got not just iron, but it's got molebdenum, it's got zinc, and it's got manganese in it and iron I know, and zinc and it When take All hits a grass plant, it kills the roots and if you don't have root tips, you're not able to take up some of these micronutrients, like iron, for example. So what it's like doing is it's like bypassing the root system. When you put it in a hose in sprayer and spray it on your plant. That does not cure take All, but it's like being in the hospital and you can't eat. They give you an IV until you can eat. And so it's the IV to foldy or spray it with your hoseen sprayer. So that is part of the process. Using the azoxystrobin is part of the process. And there's there's different forms of azoxystrobin. One is called heritage. There is another one I think it's I believe it's a disease X. I'm trying to think of which of the products. But anyway, just look for a zoxystrobin. Yeah, and so those things water it more often, you know, I talk about water in once a week, maybe twice a week when you've got to take all a light. Watering a little more often is helpful because it lacks the root system, the deep extensive root system, so you're having to pamper it along a little bit more. I'd rather not wader that often, but when you're lacking roots, that keeps the plant from dying. To give it, yeah, water, all of those are steps. Anything you do to acidify the surface of the soil would be help. Is iron helpful in that iron is helpful if it's in a form they can use now.
Speaker 32: Soil wise, you're saying acidify the soil, and I you know, we've certainly read about that, and that's where composts can.
Speaker 1: Help, right. Composts can help. There are some research by an m up in Dallas where peat moss purchasing it by those bales. It's like compress square plastic covered bales of peat moss. There are three point eight cubic feet that covers about one thousand feet a third of an inch deep, and so you have to work out getting it out there. But that's sounds like that's a.
Speaker 32: Tough thing to deal with, and we've read about that, and there's a couple of companies here in Houston. I guess that's specialize in, you know, very specific compost for this issue.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's right. You're you're a little bit outside the edge of BMB turf Pros. But I would give them a call. They're there. Number is seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Now they specialize in compost, stop dressing, quality compos stop dssing. I don't know if they would be able to put the peede out or not, but I've done it myself just by breaking it up into a into a wheelbarrow, making little piles around, and then using a rake upside down to break from that plan to spread it around a little bit. So those are all things that help, and you just have to stay with it, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 32: Yeah, I guess I was thinking about you've mentioned aeration, and for sure, you know, I'm you know, I've been feeling this for a while. You know, it gets it just gets squshy, squishy underneath your feet when you're mowing, you know, whether I guess because the roots are going away, but yeah, I think I was thinking about this this spring actually aerating, just fall aeriating and then actually raking in sand and the peat moss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not an official recommendation, but I would I could also see using a wettable sulfur in a hose in sprayer mixed not a hose end. Yeah, hose hose insprayer to just go over the lawn and acidify that runner area right at the top of the soil. So that'd be another option. Hey, im against a hard break here, Kim, but hopefully that gives you some tools to keep working on it. Don't hesitate to call back over time. If we need to continue this conversation, I'd be happy to do that. You take care, all right, folks, time for a break. If you'd like to call seven one three two one two kt r H, I'll be right back you with us. So we're going to hit the ground run in here. A while ago I was bench BnB turf pros. Some of you may have heard it and was like, Okay, what did that? What do they do?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 1: BnB, they're south of Houston and they cover an area that goes I don't know about as far. Let's say to the west as sugar Land and north as Missouri City, all the way across to Pearland and then down to places like Iowa Colony or Coola, Sienna, Fresno, that whole area down there. They do top dressing and they do core aeration, and so to have them come out is really a boost for your lawn. Core aeration helps get oxygen on the soil and helps break up compaction top dressing, compost top dressing. And by the way, they only use the highest quality compost top dressing like Ciena Maltch for example, that is high quality stuff they use that they use the fertilizers like Microlife that we talk about here on Guardline. They only use top quality products and companies that I trust here on guarden Line. BnB turf Pros, you're not going to get better customer service ride themselves in making sure that they listen to you and they have a relationship with you in terms of being someone you depend on BB Turfpros dot Com. BB Turfpros dot Com seven one three two three four, five five nine eight. Seven one three two three four, five five nine eight You need to give them a call. They do go above and beyond and if you look at their ratings, and I can just tell you this from working with them, seeing the jobs they do and stuff their top notch bb b MB turf pros dot com at the website doesn't have the end in it. It's bb turfpros dot Com. I'm going to head out now. We're get back to the phones here. We're gonna go to Cypress and talk to Danny. Hello, Danny, good morning morning.
Speaker 33: Hey, I've got a I got a problem with crab grass in my Saint Augustine. Grass and everything I read about or see is not for use on Saint Augustine.
Speaker 12: You get any.
Speaker 1: Suggestions, well, killing grass and grass is pretty much impossible to do once they're both growing. Like whatever you would spray on crabgrass that's growing would hurt your Saint Augustine. So what we do with crabgrass? You got two things. First of all, fortunately it's grass and it's green, so if you mow it, it doesn't look as bad as some weeds could. Because you're in the meantime, you're going to try to grow your Saint Augustine denser and denser by mowing, watering, and fertilizing and that's my lawn care schedule online. Then you will want next spring in actually in February to put down a pre emergent herbicide, and that's on my lawn pest disease and weed management schedule. I make a list of what you can use out there and like barricade, for example, and you put that down and watered in, and then you do it. You're gonna have to do it again as we get probably to about May may June, because the product I put out doesn't last forever, and crabgrass will sprout all summer, and so you want to stop it from sprouting later. But the pre emergent is the way to stop it. But really, ultimately, if you're not building density, you're just going to continue to have wheat problems popping up.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, I understand. I appreciate it. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You bet good luck. I wish you well. With that. We're going to now go out to Samuel and Sugarland. Hey Samuel, good morning, Welcome to guard Line. Yeah morning, thank you.
Speaker 12: So I got a little dilemma. Maybe you can give me some I guess I kind of have the same issue that your last caller had. But I think I got a little worse because I've been using True Green. I hate to say their name on there, but I haven't seen a lot of results that come out every six weeks. And I got the same issue with crabgrass. I got like four leaf clover looking okay grass just about every kind of week you can see is is sprouting. I fertilized twice a year. I guess I need to fertilize a little more, but it's taken over my yard and I don't know what else to do. I use the scott stuff, but out in sugar Land, it looks like the grass that we have out there isn't top notch. It's kind of the Saint Augustine stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay. So a couple of things you just heard me probably talk about BnB turf pros coming out and doing core aeration and compost top dressing. That, okay, is very helpful for getting your lawn denture and getting it going. If the lawn in general just don't look good, you know it needs some help. Maybe it's a heavy clay soil, because you got quite a few heavy clay soils out there in sugar Land, right, So mowing, watering and fertilizing. That's my lawn care schedule and it's online at gardening with skip dot comets free to download. And then I have a lawn pest disease and we'd management schedule. That's the one you also need to download. It starts in the spring. It tells you right when to apply the pre emergence and when to and what to apply, and then it tells you with post emergence like I've already got weeds up, Now what can I use to kill them? I'd much rather you go with one of the products on there. I know you're naming a bunch of brands and things out there. There's a bazillion things out on the market. I'm focusing on the ones that I know will work for you. And so that doesn't mean something else won't work. It just means I don't know, I mean it, who knows. We'd have to talk about the specific one.
Speaker 12: It is it about? Is it not? I don't mean to catch off? Is it uh non productive to use the uh A service that comes out? Are they not results focused?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 12: Or is it more of a fact.
Speaker 1: You know, without getting into companies and stuff a service with with people that they hire that know what they're doing can do a very good job. You can also do it yourself either way you choose, or you could download my schedule and you could tell them this is what I to use. I want you to put this down and you tell them what to use. They may argue with you, but you can always hire somebody else if they're not going to be.
Speaker 12: I got you, yep, yep, Okay, all right, I guess I'll look at your schedule there, look at what you're using and get better shot. I mean, I'm sitting on no right now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, you know, we got a number of things mow water and fertilized are critical. Do it properly. It tells you on the schedule how to do that. And then if you're going to do accomplos stop dressing or an aeration, that's also on that same schedule, the long care schedule, getting those done can be helpful too. So there's a lot of ways we can approach this. The goal at the end is just get that grass growing faster and green and healthy, and that takes care of the majority of your WEAD problems. And then when you have things that it doesn't take care of, which there are things that it won't take care of. You can go after those with a specific product that I would recommend for those problems.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, I'll get a look at your website. I love your show. I appreciate the info.
Speaker 1: All right, happy, happy to help. Let's see where we're going now. We've got a lot of board here we're trying to clear out. Let's go to Houston area, tuc To. Rick. Hello, Rick, Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no more. I've got an issue with is back on an issue with a.
Speaker 34: Sandy leaf put in the groundcover in my front bids and I'm noticing it's getting a yellow leaf spots on it.
Speaker 20: Overwatering or is it that something different?
Speaker 1: It's a groundcover that is did you have a name for it?
Speaker 34: Sandy leaf?
Speaker 1: They call it sandy leaf, Oh, san leya fig. Probably it's got a run sandpapery leaf. Yeah, that's probably the Okay, that's a ficus type plant that grows as a groundcover. When it's showing some yellow, probably the it's on the oldest leaves. If a little suit sticks up, it's got a bunch of leaves on it, it's gonna be on the older ones typically, and that could be a fluctuation in soul moisture gets a little dry and then it gets water and stuff. Probably not a disease unless it were some sort of a root rot from excessive soil moisture, soggy soggy conditions. There's I've never seen a leaf spot become a problem on that on that plant. Uh so I'm gonna guess that it could just be a lack of nitrogen too, But that plant is so tough even without a lot of nitrogen. It should it should look okay.
Speaker 34: Yeah, well, so it's good. It's okay in the shade and sun.
Speaker 12: So that's why I figured, I don't know why.
Speaker 34: I'll go watering it or so okay, so just uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And you can always dig down about three inches of a little babe in your hand and feel the soil. I mean, you know, you can feel the interesting dry and moist and if it's if it's wet, then definitely don't need a water. If it's getting a little on the dry, set give it some water. But that's not a picky plant, so it's not like you got to get it just right. It's not a hydrangeur or something but you got to keep just happy. So actually, that'll do it. I throw a little nitrogen, a little omfertilizer on it. You can do that and that'll kind of boost it, give it a little extra growth. I just wouldn't do that past about August. I'd get that done now rather than later done.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, thank you, Sary.
Speaker 14: So.
Speaker 1: Appreciate appreciate your call very much. H You know, we're talking about clay soils and compaction. You know, clay soils also when they get wet, they swell. When they get dry, they shrink, and that's movement. That's why your sidewalks heave and crack, and your driveway heaves and crack, and unfortunately, your house foundation heaves and cracks. Fix my slab foundation repair. Ti Strickland been doing this twenty three years.
Speaker 32: Here.
Speaker 1: I have picked Tie's brain. I just can't believe how much he knows, because every time I ask him the next question, he knows the answer to that too. He is an expert and he specializes in three things. Showing up on time. Oh my gosh, how refreshing for a service person to show up on time, fixing it, fixing it right. He knows what he's doing, and he does it right and then fair priced, giving you a fair price for the job. What more can you ask for? If you tell him you're a guardline listener, you get a free estimate. That's important. Tell him that you can go to his website fixmslab dot com. You can give him a call two eight one two FI five forty nine forty nine. Say that again two eight one two FI five four nine four nine fix myslab dot com. If you got cracks in the brick outside, cracks in the sheet rock inside, door sticking, those are warning signs. Have him come out. It's a free estimate. Have him come out and take a look at it and see what you think. Don't delay. Come back to the garden Line. Good heavy with us. Glad you are here, that is for sure. Hey, we're going to go back to the phones right away. Here we've got some folks have been waiting. Talk to Gary first in West Houston. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Gary, all right, thank you. Skip two quick questions.
Speaker 26: One on my zoijow, which is you know, really thick and fairly healthy except for some weeds here and there. When I put down granular fertilizer nitrofoss what have you. It's so thick that the fertilizer lays on top, and I wanted to make sure I didn't burn anything or whatever, and I would basically have to walk around and drill it down into the grass with a jet spray.
Speaker 3: How careful do I have to be in doing that?
Speaker 26: Or is just wetting it and let it sit there on top of the grass not a bad thing?
Speaker 1: Well, good, good question. First of all, congratulations on having turfed dence. That's impressive. So so yeah, yeah, you must have a very fine texture zoysia, something like Xeon or Emerald. Yeah it's Emerald, Emerald, Emerald. Okay, Well, so you can water it in. You can water it and it should dissolve the particles you met the water a little while and then a little bit later water again. It should dissolve and move on in. And that would be better than just leaving it on the surface, because that's where you would get a salt burn from a salt based synthetic type fertilizers like you're talking about. I don't you know, I don't think raking it in in any way is going to be practical. And plus that's a lot of work to have to rake your lawn because you fertilized it. So I think that's probably your best bet is to is to give it a good soaking, watering and let it work its way in, you know it almost I don't know. I'm just are you doing a lot of mowing and fertilizing and watering of the lawn. I'm kind of curious about the level of density you're getting.
Speaker 3: I haven't done. I haven't overfertilized it at all.
Speaker 26: As a matter of fact, it's probably been two months and nuts because I was using Imperial. I didn't I didn't have any slow release. I wanted to get rid of the Imperial. So I don't mind doing it every couple of months. But I am mowing it if I can. I I mow it once a week with a real mower, and I let the long guys do it once a week because they've got a bagger, you know. So it's kind of a twice a week thing. And I'm keeping it. Try and keep it almost to an inch you know, inch and.
Speaker 1: A half cover. Okay, now that's making now, now that's making some sense. Yeah, yeah, you're and the other I'm not surprised as sitting on top.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 26: And the the other quick question I had was, and somebody talked about crabgrass earlier. But Image has a product says it kills sets, and it says on it it kills crabgrass and that it's safe you know for a zoision as some other lawns. Does it really kill crab grass or not?
Speaker 1: Well, if it has got on the label, then there it does. The thing the label doesn't tell you is how good it is. You know, there's things that are labeled like for nuts edge that is like, for example, image is only fair against yellow nutsedge, but it's good against purple nutsedge. And so depending on the counter nuts sage you have. This is going back to the fact that I'm putting these this information up there because sometimes a good quick answer is not the most accurate answer. But that may be part of it there, and with any weed that's going to be the case. So crabgrass, image should do a pretty good job. Image has It has effect on the foliage of the weed you're putting it on, but it also has root effect. So when you spray image after twenty four hours, you want to put on about a half inch of water and that moves the product then down into the soil because it's already soaked into the foliage spray. Then it moves the extra down in the soil where it will affect the roots.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so it has a double way that it works after those. But again depends on the kind of nutsedge.
Speaker 26: Yeah, okay, yeah, and for and for nut size yourself, I mean such hammer Plus say it's safe to use on the zoisa, especially for spot treatment and that other area.
Speaker 1: Sedge hammer spot yeah.
Speaker 3: Summer, it's good for people that got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does, right, And sedge hammer is a brand. Sedgehammer Plus is a brand which, by the way, already has a surfactant in it. Uh. There are other versions of that same ingredient, halo sulfron. Monterey has one called nutgrass Killer. Two High Yield has nutsedge and horse tail control. Martin's has nutsedge Eliminator, and all of those are the same ingredients and so one. Yeah, it does it is it's good to excellent on both yellow and purple. That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, thank you very much, Skip, have a great have a great right.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like you need to call better homes and gardens and have come take a picture of you and your lawn out there.
Speaker 3: I got a.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I got a lot of pictures on my lawn on my phone. So I'm a freak, all right, I'm obsession of it.
Speaker 1: Thanks Skip, all right, you're one of those lawn rangers. Thanks a lot. I appreciate appreciate your call. Gary, appreciate that very much. Uh, let's see, We're going to see if we can get take care of James and sugar Land.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: James, you got about a minute left. How can we.
Speaker 21: Help continuing the discussion on uh take all patch? Is it worth trying to treat it now? You say in the spring and in the fall, But do you put anything out now?
Speaker 1: You know, I had my neighbor and I both had a little take all in a part of our yard, and I did treat it recently. The effect of that treatment is not as good as treating it at the times on my schedule, but it helps a little, And so I went ahead and did it because I'm trying to shut it down. I'm pretty much throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it.
Speaker 16: That's why it is.
Speaker 1: The one disease that kills your lawn. And so that's a.
Speaker 20: Well, what about.
Speaker 21: Okay, if I need to put out sawd am I wasting my time until I can figure out if I can get this under control.
Speaker 1: No, no, you can put out the sod. Just keep it as healthy as you can. Take All is an opportunist disease. When you stress your grass with shade, with certain kinds of weed killers, with compacted soil and so on. With drought, that's another one. Uh, then take all gets the chance to move in and attack. Otherwise the grass is somewhat resilient against it. Hey, I've got to run to another break. But yeah, that lay on it, stay on it. That's the way to get ahead of it. You take yes, sir, you take care, James. We'll be right back. Cool stuff. Hey, welcome back. We're glad to have you with us. Nelson Plant Food is a creator of some of the best fertilizer products that you're going to find for whatever you want to grow. I mean, they've got their turf Star line, things like Bruce's Brew. Bruces Brew is a product that is going to be a quick release product you can use anytime of the year. And we talk about slow releases. Slow releases are fine, like Nelson's Slow and Easy. You can take a quick release. You can divide up the application into smaller applications, or what we normally use is we talk about using Bruce's Brew like in the springtime and in the fall time as we're getting going on our lawns. It's an excellent product, very very excellent product. Now when we're talking about fall that is when we look at their carbo load product. That's one coming up and I'll talk about that more, but for right now, I want to focus a little bit on the Nutri Star and Nature Star line. The nutri Star is a tree and shrub line that is excellent for all kinds of well Nutrire Star is a number of lines. They've got the tree and shrub, which is good for all your woody ornamentals, So any kind of tree, any kind of shrub, any kind of woody vine. That is what you need Nutrastar, tree and shrub to do. Five different sources of nitrogen in that product, by the way, and you can feed them three or four times a year just to keep that growth going. You know, when you plant a tree, your goal is how soon can I hang a hammock in that thing? Get it growing with nutri Star tree and shrub. Nature Star is their organic all purpose fertilizer. So see what I'm talking about. Nelson plant Food. I didn't even talk about color Star. That's another one they got. Nelson Plant Trees a wide variety of products. They're all quality, they all work, and they're all widely available, so you can find one near you. I want to head out now to Deer Park and we're going to talk to Steve. Hello, Steve, welcome to Damline.
Speaker 8: Yes, hey, Skip, I sent you an email and yes I was wondering you had a chance to look at it.
Speaker 1: Yes I have. And that is called dovewed and doveweed weed. It's an annual opportunist. It's kind of caught in between grasses and broad leaf control. So things that kill grasses mer or may not work. Things that kill broad leaf marmorn not works. It's very difficult to manage dove weed. Usually once you have it, then we're we're talking about applying something to kill everything in that spot, like a Glacis type product would do. It kills the doveweed to kiss the grass. It kills everything. But you're just going in and you're creating a clean slate to start over uh pre emergence. Most of the pre emergence available in the in the retail market just are not going to work on that particular weed very well. But the products that do work landscape care companies have access to, but those are pricey. There we spend one hundreds of dollars or more on some of those products, and so are it'd be nice to have a pre emergent to just prevent the little annual seeds of doveweed from coming up. But I just don't to know of a good one that's been proven effective so on that particular weed. So that leaves us with the alternative.
Speaker 8: A weed and feed wouldn't take care of it, would it?
Speaker 1: No, Because that's going to either be a pre emergent or a post emergent. And I would rather feed when it's time to feed, and weed when it's time to weed, and separate those out because this this weed is a good example there are products that are not going to touch it. In weed and feeds, there's pre emergent weeden feeds and you're not going to touch it. There's going to be some post emergent weeden feeds that don't have what it takes to really knock it out. It just you don't get satisfaction. And I don't want to hedge hedge. I don't want to send you out there to buy something that's not going to give you the results you're gonna need.
Speaker 8: So I need a glass of fate product.
Speaker 1: Glyphosate glyphose a Now, okay, get out, wait until it's not so hot to do it, or do you need to do it right now? You could do it well, I do it now. Start early in the morning when it's cool, and just spray over it. Just know that glyphase kills broad leaf and grassy wheat. Now round Up these companies frustrate the heck out of me because they confuse things. It used to be that round Up had glyphosate. Now round Up has two or three other things instead of glyphosate in it, so you would have to find glyphos aide. It's in a lot of different brands to put out there on it. But just know this, if it's green and you get it on the green tissues, glyphosate is going to kill your grass. It's going to kill it any flowers nearby that you let it drift onto. So you want to be careful when you apply it.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, now every side?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the only alternative. And in the picture you sent, I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like it's almost one dove weed. So that would be one where I would say, yeah, I just go spread. You could also go in and with a hoe slicing about a half inch under the surface. Just hoe it all out of there. But you're still going to have seeds that then re sprout. You got to be ready to go with that. Maybe you would then receive those areas because they're pretty large too. You can't wait on grass to crawl in from the sides of areas that large. It takes too long. So I just throw that as another area. Another option for people that don't want to use a harvest that product, such as clapsate.
Speaker 8: I know you're probably running out of time. But if I waited and let it go into winter and then it died back for the winter I suppose, and then treated it in the spring, would it be easier or hard work be a mistake neither.
Speaker 1: It's an annual, so you'd be getting it back from seeds in the spring. You know what, There is one other product I can't believe I didn't think of this. There's one other product. It's Agrilawn. It's a cinnamon based product that's in a round paper canister and you turn it upside down and you shake the cinnamon onto the weed. The weed needs to be wet, so you need to, you know, turn on the water hosen, just get it wet, and that makes the cinnamon stick to the weed and it'll turn it brown, I mean black, it just really fast. Now that product is say one more time, agri lawn, a g agroln lawn. But like I said, you're mixing. It's not liquid, it's not a granule you put out. It is a canister of cinnamon dust. Think of it that way. That's the best way to think of it. And you if you've got wet weeds, it will not kill your Saint Augustine. But if you got wet weeds, it'll kill it. And so it may be a little ex if if you've got a big area, because this is a it's like a one pound canister and you're literally dusting all the weeds with it.
Speaker 8: And so okay, that sounds like a good option.
Speaker 1: I think it will give you very fast results and I think that's probably what I would do. But in the meantime, let's either plug in grass, sod in grass, or do whatever we can to cover bear soil because this weed's just going to keep coming back every year.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, thank you, you have a good weekends.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you. I appreciate your call very much. You know it's season to trim your trees for storms, and Affordable Tree does that. Martin at Affordable Tree knows how to take care of trees. He does, that's what he does. You can call him at seven one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three, or you can go to a fftree service dot com telling me from guardenline, get to the front of the line. Everybody's busy and the tree business right now. But you need to have him come out and do that. He does all tons of other things too. If you're going to do something around your trees, like put a trench in or call Martin to come out and advise you on that. If you're want to do water in a deep root feeding, deeproot water and all those same, Martin does it all and he knows what he's doing. He's been doing this for a very long time. He's an expert on it Martin spuonmore Affordable Tree service seven one three six nine nine two six six three. Well, I hear music starting up. We're going to have to put this one in the books today. I'll be back tomorrow morning from six am to ten am here on Guardline. Thanks for listening. In the meantime, stop in at my website and check it out gardening with skip dot com. Remember the next early part of next week, we're getting all that meth sedge information online and you don't want to miss it.