Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thorntons on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show.
Speaker 1: Idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or trail off their countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, let's do the damn thing. Welcome in Coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety appreciate you hanging out with us on a cold Wednesday. I mean I kind of feel like I'm I'm I'm a wimp and I'm soft because I'm somebody that has always claimed I really really like cold weather. I mean, I don't like to be freezing, but the winter is actually a real good vibe for me. Don't mind snow. I'm weird like that. But today, if I mean today, I feel like it's kind of the coldest weather we've had, maybe, you know, since the summer came to an end. But maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe maybe I'm just weak and I've gotten soft. But it's chilly out there and beautiful though the sun being out makes it a lot better. So all right, a lot that I want to just jump into here because we are loaded today. As always, that's what we do, and I guess I'll start with with last night's result in the Louisville basketball game. We did not have a postgame show last night, and I will give you guys as best I can when I can, what our plan and arrangement is for Louisville basketball postgame shows this year, because you know, I know that you got used to listening after every game, and you know, I don't know how great this season is going to go, but I know it's going to be a lot better than the last two years. Two years when we did postgame shows and you know, it was like a funeral every every time, seemingly, so you know things will be better this year. But we are I mean, I'll just say it, we're really really thin right now when it comes to those who can get us on the radio, and what I mean by that is those who can produce, And there are different levels to being a producer and a board op and I don't say that to like say that there are some people that are, you know, better than others. I mean, it's just literally, we have certain people that we hired to run the board, and then there are people who are part of who are a part of shows and they produce and it's a little bit more. They have a little bit more of a role, a little more involvement. We just, you know, we're really thin right now. I think that's going to change in the next couple of weeks, which will give us a better feel for what we can do as far as scheduling. But you know, I don't want to just act like I don't just ignore it and act like, yeah, you know, we'll and it's not great to have the shows and then all of a sudden just not do them. But last night we weren't able to Friday night, doubt it, But maybe we will. But I'm hopeful that once we get through Thanksgiving, we'll have a little bit more more bodies to utilize to you know, get us on the air. But until then, you know, we'll work with what we can. So last night Louisville, I mean sloppy start. I mean I did I don't want to start with something negative. Louisville did win the game, and it really you know, I mean they won one hundred and sixty eight and covered a thirty point spread overall, played well, but it was a slow start and I'm going to assume that their slow start was based off rust. I mean, they didn't play in a game for ten days, which you know, I know last week we talked about the the lack of home like that you want to you're going to go an entire month without having a home game for football, and you know that can't be normal. The ten day break there that also wasn't normal. There's some teams that have played like five or six games in Louisville played their third game last night, So I'm not blaming anybody, but like if there is somebody that's kind of in charge for that, I mean, I don't think that's the right. I mean, I would imagine even coaches don't like that. Now, as far as football scheduling, I mean, I would imagine that the AC. You know, you're playing nothing but ACC games for that stretch, So I'd blame it on the ACC when it comes to football. But the ten days without a game in November it was weird, and I'm sure it was weird for these guys as well. I know they were practicing and you know, trying to get better from that Tennessee loss, But it just seemed kind of awkward to start the game yesterday. But once Louisville got rolling, it really wasn't much of a game. They win one hundred and sixty eight over Scott Davenport and the Bellarman Knights, and I'm glad I talked about it a lot yesterday because it made it to where I didn't have to keep reminding myself throughout the game that this is probably regardless of really what happened, actually not regardless. The only scenario where you can really feel like you took something valuable from this game would be that you either messed around and lost to Bellerman as thirty point favorites, or you were challenged a lot more than you thought you'd be. Like, that would be something that we'd have to say, Okay, that's not good. But other than that, any you know, a big time blowout like they like they did. I mean, I think last night they really did all you can do in that kind of a situation. So it wasn't going to be an opportunity to really see if you got better from the Tennessee game, and we knew that. I think the same thing could be said for the matchup coming up on Friday with Winthrop. But you know, it's an opponent you got to play who's on the schedule, and you beat them about thirty two points, just scored one hundred points yourself. You were short handed at that, which we'll get to some of those injuries. The two injuries I should say that are you know something? We got a monitor. But it was one of those games where you wonder how much you're saying, you know, how much of what you're seeing is it about the competition you're playing. Let me give you an example, like anytime you see an plus an impressive play individually, you maybe worry a little bit about it being due to who you're playing, right, Like I saw some guys out there, case in prior Chucky Hepburn, Terrence Edwards was phenomenal, those guys making plays, and I'm thinking, Okay, that was pretty impressive. I like, I like to see that. Let's get let's get some more of that. But then you wonder, okay, well were these guys only able to make these kind of plays because they were playing against Bellerin. And the answer is we'll never know, Like you won't know until next week when they play a much better team, a team that is going to challenge you a lot more than Bellerman is going to. If it wouldn't have been Bellermant, I would have said a real team, But that sounds mean, and we don't know. We don't want to insult Scott Davenport because they're a real team. They were without their leading scorer last night. Uh, they they hung tough. I mean, they just kind of got buried a couple of times, and even when they did make their own runs, it never was enough to really make it much of a game. But to go back to, you know, the impressive plays that you see from your team, your guys individually, and then you immediately think, okay, well that was impressive, but should I be impressed because look who it's against. Same thing works the other way around. Anytime somebody on Bellerman makes an impressive play, you may be worry because you're thinking, okay, that was a pretty good looking move. That was a you know that guy right there that you know, give him credit. But then you think, okay, well, if Bellerman can do that to you, imagine what other top tier teams are going to do when you play them. So that that right there is the reason why these games for me are always just tough, you know. But I feel like last night I knew going in not a whole lot you really you're really gonna be able to learn from from this this game itself. But again, all you can do is play who was on the schedule and they won by thirty points. Covers cover the bread too.
Speaker 5: So you know, I.
Speaker 4: I know Pat Kelsey, he had a style, he has a system that has been good to him at Winthrop and at both Charleston. And I've mentioned this really since the Tennessee loss, and that is that you know, I know that you you want to get into that, But the Tennessee loss, I guess it doesn't prove that you aren't going to be able to do, you know, to get into what you want to do as far as up tempo, a lot of possessions, a lot of threes in rhythm, sacrificing on defense meaning taking chances on defense, gambling a little bit defensively to where you you know, you hope you can hopefully turn that into offense more often than getting burned on defense. Like, I know that's what you want to do, but after seeing Tennessee seemingly stop you at that without a whole lot of I mean, again, Tennessee, they're a tough nose team, that's what Rick Barnes does. But you know, Tennessee, I don't feel like they even did anything all that special. They made some tough shots, but like from a defensive standpoint, I thought they just made Louisville look very easy to defend. Now, I guess maybe a really good defensive team can make it look like But last night I feel like I saw enough from Chucky hepburn Case and Pryor Terrence Edwards to say that despite the depth, those guys need to be on the floor more than others at their position. I mean, I think you're gonna need a consistent rotation in order to get guys out there in rhythm. And really it's probably silly to do this because again, different worlds when it comes to competition, comparing Bellerman in Tennessee. But even early last night, when guys were being shuffled in and out at the very beginning of the game, I mean, it was hard for anybody to really establish rhythm. Well, once you started to see a longer stretch of play from the guys that came off the bench case and Pryor rain Smith, then you started to see, you know, guys kind of find their groove a little bit. And you know, to me, it's more the question I have would be and I don't know the answer to it, and I'm sure Pat Kelsey would give an answer, but maybe you know it's I mean, this is a learning experience for him too. He's figuring out what he really has to work with. He's been coaching these guys in practice. Obviously, he's very familiar with them. When he recruited him to come join this team from the portal. However, you know, his first instant, his first chance to see what happened against Tennessee was when we all saw it because there was never any real challenge there. So, look, you can still be a team that utilizes depth. You can play a lot of guys, but I think minute distribution, I think you need to have a core a not necessarily a five man rotation or a five man lineup, but like probably six to seven guys that you feel like more often than not, they're gonna end up having more minutes than the rest of the guys that play. And it's not to say that when you go to the bench you have some huge drop off, but I just think he gotta find there may be somebody that comes off the bench that from a production standpoint, can give you as much as got starting. But are they somebody that makes others better?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Are they somebody that you know that can score on their own. They don't need to come off a screen. They don't need to be somebody that's scoring because of the system that you're running out there. In fact, let me pull up the numbers here. I mean you got let's see a total of twenty six from Terrence Edwards Junior. Obviously he was phenomenal last night. Same thing for Caseon Priory at twenty one night, I'm sorry, sixteen for Chucky Hepburn. Javon Hadley chipped in with ten, same thing for James Scott. So you know, I I don't want to say don't use your depth because I think that's what Pat Kelsey wants to be able to do. And utilizing depth, I think is one of those things that this team is pretty damn good at the end of the year and you feel like they're going to make the tournament safely. I would say that one of those factors in how they got there is the fact that they've been able to utilize their depth. But I think you can be deep without literally just playing everybody that same amount of minutes. And I know they haven't done that the entire year, but at times, I feel like that's kind of what you're seeing. Okay, five in, five out, and sometimes that'll work, but I think other times, and even like last night and even maybe against Winthrop, you may be able to do that and still win. But I feel like you should use these opportunities against these kind of teams to kind of figure out what makes the most sense as far as how you're putting guys together consistently. And again I think it's it's and maybe maybe pet Kelsey is in total disagreement, and he you know, and and that's that's his right. He he's the guy that's the head coach, and he knows a lot more about basketball than I than I ever will. But I just feel like you're not gonna see guys as comfortable as you need him to be, and you're really not gonna be able to get close to your ceiling if these guys don't have an established role to where, you know, night in and night out, maybe outside of an injury or foul trouble or maybe just some kind of a mismatch, they're gonna. They're gonna, they're gonna play a specific you know, maybe not a specific amount of minutes, but obviously you know where you're not just being yanked in and out all the time because you're not getting the most out of these guys you brought in. And some of them I have talent now again seeing Chucky and Cason and Terrence Edwards Junior go out there and do what they did against Bellerman. That doesn't mean that they're going to be able to do it against teams like Tennessee or when they play Indiana next week in the Bahamas. But you know, I think they've got a better chance of having you know, big Knights offensively compared to the rest of the guys on this roster that at times are getting the same amount of minutes as them. So again, another guy I want to throw out there, though when it comes to just somebody that I think the team's better when they're on the floor. I mentioned Chucky Case and fat as they call him, Terrence Evers Junior, but also Rain Smith. I mean, I think things just are better offensively when he's on the floor. And it isn't even about him making threes. Obviously he can do that. He's got a real weapon there as a three point shooter, but like he understands facing a lot better. He just a good feel for the game. And when it comes to defense, I mean, to be honest with you, he's he's no more of a liability defensively than some of the other guys out there. At times he's not a great defender, but like, I don't think he's somebody that you got, like you got to think about pulling him out of the game. Is you know, because of defense specifically there may be mismatches here and there, but there's also some dudes on this team that that are playing similar minutes and at times I worry about their defense. So again, you went about thirty two points and now you got you got Winthrop coming up here on Friday, and then next week it it's your next big test. Now we found out right before the game that you've got two injuries both could be pretty substantial. Trailra is out for it sounds like about six weeks for a fractured arm, so it's just him healing and that you know, there's there's an expected timeline, but as far as you know how long it actually takes, only time will tell. And you know, I was really high on Trey Ora, really, I really, and I am. I still think he can. He can do a lot for you. However, it was never about production. Now he can stuff the statue, but you know it's really you know, he's a seven rebound, four assist six points kind of guy, and you know that's that's valuable to have. But you could probably get by without him. Now, I do worry about the things he really does. Well, that's where you're already lacking, and that is defense and rebounding. So somebody's gonna have to step up in that regard. But he really, I mean at times he's just kind of offensively taken up space out there and the defense isn't really having to really having to account for him offensively, so he'll be missed. But it also, I think will give you a chance to kind of get a better feel for what you have because you're gonna have to play, you know, you don't have him, You're gonna play other You're gonna play other guys, and others will probably share the minutes he would be getting. Now, Korin Johnson is out with his shoulder, and it doesn't sound like there's really any indication as far is how long that could that could keep him out. I mean, I don't I don't want to try to be a you know, body language expert here, but I didn't get the sense that Pat Kelsey felt super encouraged about it. But again, this first time we've ever heard him talk about an injury, so it's tough to know, like maybe that's just how he handles it. But Corain Johnson is somebody that, you know, when it comes to just talent on this roster, he's one of the more talented guys. He's a six Man of the Year from the PAC twelve a year ago and was a four star recruit. So I mean, he's somebody that you're gonna miss. I mean, and maybe he's backed by Friday. I don't know. I didn't get the sense that would be the case. But already dealing with some injuries here, so again front court play, physical, Like the things that worried me after the Tennessee game outside of what we just discussed, when it comes to offense and finding ways to generate good looks whenever a team's able to kind of get you in the half court and dictate pace. I mean, those are still concerns. And last night, even if they and they did do some things that would make you not as worried about that, but you have to consider the competition. But rebounding. They outrebounded Bellerman last night. That's what you should do. But rebounding, I think still could be a problem when you play bigger teams and defense. You know, I Bellaman's first two buckets, and it wasn't just these first two buckets, but there were a few others where they just I mean they fled out, took their guy to the hole, and it was tough to see. I mean, no offense development, but like if Bellerman's got guys that can just break you down off the bounce and go get a bucket and it looked like you were in position, they just were able to score on you. Again, no offense development, but like that has me a little worried about when you play teams not named Bellerman. So all in all, I think it was a good night, but we knew going in that the next chance to really see Okay, let's hope Tennessee ends up being real out being a real outlier. We'll find out, I guess a little more if that's the case next week when they take on In fact, a week from today, they're going to be taken on Indiana, so we shall see, all right. Coming up here on the other side, we were going to talk with the one and only Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot Com get his thoughts on this college football playoff race. I've been amused by the back and forth for quite some time now, just because I think the weekly check ins it's good for the college football playoff because it just gets more people talking about it. But last night seemed to be like chaotic to wear like I just wanted everybody to shut the hell up, Like I mean, I you know, but hey, again, the more controversy, the more arguments there are to be made with certain teams and conferences, the better it is for the product as far as the lead up. But there's gonna be some really upset teams that don't get in and it's just gonna come down to what the committee wants to do, so we'll talk about That was Zach Barnette football scoop coming up here on the other side, and I got to talk about it at some point, like it pains me to say it, but Kentucky, I mean, they look really, really good and I don't like it. Mark Pope's got Aga team and again I don't like it. All right, stick with us. It's Coffee and Company feel about Thortons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled my Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, Coffee and Company are rolling along here on a Wednesday afternoon. As you heard there, we are fuel about Thorntons. But I know you already knew that. But what I don't know is if everybody listening has signed up yet to become a member of Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't, easy to do, just download the app. You can get it on your Android or your iPhone and you'll be good to go. Also, don't forget we've got you covered for game day on Saturday. Louisville and Pitt we'll start our pregame show at three o'clock presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky in Jefferson Animal Hospital, and then as soon as it ends, we will react to whatever it is that happens on the Louisville Football postgame Show presented by Alex Rwhite Lawyers soon Distractor Driver dot com. I really don't know what the hell we're going to be reacting to, because you know, after what happened against Stanford, I have no clue what to expect these next couple of weeks. Hopefully that you know, they come out and finish the home slate strong. This is the last home game Senior Day, so hopefully they can finish strong. But your guess is as good as mine. All right, let's bring him in. He's mister Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot com. He joins us each and every week to talk some college football. Zach, I don't even know where to start when it comes to the college football playoff rankings as far as well, I guess I'll just say, what do you feel like? Actually, let me let me let me back up just a second. When you thought of this new twelve team format and knowing that there's gonna be a lot more inclusion, there's gonna be a lot more scenarios to look at. I mean, did you think we'd be here? Because I feel like the chaos and just everybody yelling at each other about which conference has a tough I mean it, I mean it's awesome, but like, I don't I don't know if if if this was what I expected when I when I thought of us getting a twelve team playoff instead of a four team.
Speaker 2: Uh, did I expect Indiana's to be eleven and zero and the SEC to act like a persecuted class for possibly only getting four teams in instead of five? Yeah, I expected both those things.
Speaker 4: Well, you're smarter than me. The Indiana thing, uh, I mean that's and actually we'll start there, because you know, they are I think maybe maybe this is just because they're they're they're local issue to us. But Indiana, I mean, they're beating everybody on their schedule. They're doing it, you know, and for the most part in blowout fashion. And I watched them play. They look like a good team, but they're a big ten team that has played ten games and just hasn't played anybody. It's not necessarily their fault, but that's where you are. I mean, I kind of feel like if they lose to Ohio State this weekend and it's maybe you know, a ten point game or worse, I kind of feel like everybody's just going to write them off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone in this sport seemingly has has turned on Indiana and Texas and it makes no sense. And I made a promise to myself to not react to the Tuesday night ranking show because they the committee has proven us that they mean nothing. But I've tweeted about it a bunch and written a column, so I broke my own promise to myself. But everyone getting so mad at in the end makes no sense because in reality, Indiana season as a playoff contender starts on Saturday. If they go out and lose forty two to seven, then they're they're they're deservedly out. If they go out and win, then they're in. And if they win that game and they're going to beat Purdue and they beat Oregon, they're the number one seed. Like their season, their cake is just going into the oven right now. And the same for Texas. And meanwhile, no one's talking about Penn State, who looks like is going to get to host a home game in the playoff with no questions asked, despite beating two top forty teams all season long.
Speaker 4: I think with Indiana, everybody has known that it was going to come down to the Ohio State game. But I guess now that we're getting closer and closer to it. I think you hear those that are advocating for Indiana saying, well, they should be able to lose and still you know, not fall because it'd be their first loss. Whereas you know, the other side, which is which is where I find myself, is that you know, it does depend on how the loss looks. But even if you lose and it's you know, some what competitive, you're still going to end the season without a win we're speaking of. And I just when you know these with these spots, you know, being highly coveted, I just don't know if, I mean, if that happens, I mean, what do you think the committee would do with Indiana?
Speaker 2: I think consistently the committee has broken ties based off of I guess, with the Florida State exception, the committee has broken ties based off of a number of losses and brand and we've seen now byu plummeted this week while Miami has not, despite the fact that b YU has played a tougher schedule. But I think Indiana would fall out. And I know that even though the fact that Indiana was Michigan or Penn State, no one would be talking about them right now. They'd be saying, well if they let's just wait till the Ohio State game, because I know that because no one's talking about Penn State and they have very similar resumes. If Indiana scores a touchdown on Saturday, they'll do something that Penn State did not on their home field.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But yet again, it's Indiana on the shopping block while Penn State's basically in the playoff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's and it's all about brand I mean that's there's no other way to justify it.
Speaker 2: And we hate cinderellas in college football. Uh that that's been proven for a long time. So people are just indied from a cool story. So now people are actively mad at them for winning get football games and being entertaining.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no matter what the committee does, there's always going to be people yelling about the decisions they make and trying to get answers as to why they put this team there, and there's always going to be teams that feel like they should have been in they got they got left out. They could expand this thing like the NCAA Tournament in basketball, and there'd still be teams that feel like they should have gotten in over others. That that's never gonna like. People are gonna never stop tearing down the committee. But I do think there'd be some value if they just were a little bit more willing to say, this is how we see it, this is our opinion, and not always how to throw you know, inconsistent factors out there as far as why they came to a certain decision where it'll rank teams, Because when you really consider it, they're just gonna have to make a decision that that that is based off their opinion and their opinion alone. It's not about a number, it's not about a one game that decided it. Because when you put twelve teams in and you have no divisions in these conferences, I think you're gonna see yourself in this situation. Maybe not every year like this, but it wouldn't be a shocker if this is maybe something you don't see that. You do see, you know, fairly regularly when it comes to the twelve team format, and you know again people are gonna complain regardless. But I think the committee coul help themselves a little bit if they just said, look, this is how we see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think that that's a great point. I think the committee has kind of found themselves in a middle ground between ultimate transparency and no transparency, and it's as a result they're getting run over. Yeah, I think that. I think the original sin of this whole format is releasing these Tuesday Night chose even though it's giving us something to talk about it in reality is I mean, no one's actually talking about the Indian Ohio State game and you're talking about Indiana as a as a concept right now.
Speaker 4: That's a great point. That's that's where this has actually been a little bit unproductive.
Speaker 2: For him, I think, And if they if I mean the really the big controversies in the first ten years of the system were TCU in year one falling out at the very end despite winning by fifty five points in their final game, and Florida State falling out last week or last season. But if there was no Tuesday Night Ranking Show, then no one would have known where they'd be in leaving Florida State out last season if they if that was the first we'd ever heard from the committee of be like, okay, yeah, that makes sense. Florida State is not at full strength. But Florida State was number four without Jordan Travis in the Florida game, won that game and then went out and beat Louisville as you as you well know and well even though they were the same team that was ranked number four before that. So if they would release nothing, we then they would probably have a lot not probably, the would definitely have a lot more credibility because in the end, every one of their four team selections was either obvious or easily justifiable. So the problem has never been in the actual four teams. It's been getting to that point, and so chances are we'll get there at some point. There's still a lot of football ahead of us. But I mean, I challenge one of your listeners to go out and make your own Top twenty five and defend it in a logically consistent way. There's basically no way to do that, and you basically just have to boil down to it. At certain points just be I just think this team is better than that team, and that's a defensible thing. You have to do that. There's no other options. There's not enough data here to do it in a logically consistent way. But the committee has tried to say, well, we based off this factor of that factor, and we start over every single week, and even still they basically boiled out to well, we just think this seems better than that team.
Speaker 4: Who do you do you think if Texas does not get the win against Texas A and M and Indiana falls short. Let's say they lose about thirteen to Ohio State, maybe there'll be more of a Okay, let's see what else what the other teams in play do. But I mean, if that's the case, doesn't it seem a little unlikely that those two teams would end up in the field. Or maybe there's still a shot Texas gets in.
Speaker 2: I mean, the committee seems to think Texas is really good. But then again, Georgia fell from number three to number twelve last week, or for losing Ole Myths that was an eighteen point loss. If Texas loses by three points on the road and rivalry game, I could see them staying in. I mean, so much of it depends on information we don't have right now. But it's weird going on on the road to play your historic rival that you haven't played thirteen years, going on the road to play another historic rival in Arkansas, going on the road to play that's fitting national champions has turned into a negative for Texas the season. No one ever thought when Texas joined the Big Bad SEC that the number one talking point would be, well, your schedule has been too easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's what I was gonna ask you. I know you're in Texas. I mean, Texas has just found themselves in a situation where they have one loss and it's to a good team, and they've beat everybody on their schedule, but ten games in, I feel like usually, you know, when they were in a previous league that is not as good as the league they're in now, they've been a little bit more battle tested at this point. Do you believe, like, are you do you find yourself not really knowing just how good Texas is ten games in? Or do you feel pretty confident that you do have a feel for them. It's just going to come down to them doing it against a really good team. Next time they get them, which I don't know if Texas A and M is viewed by everybody as a really good team but certainly a good team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they have good quinn ewers, then Texas is the best team in the country. They have the best defense in the country bar none. And if they play offense like they did against Florida two weeks ago, they're the best team in the country. If they get the quinn ewers that we've seen most of the second half of this season, then they're somewhere in that eight to ten range. And their biggest problem is that they were They looked out class against Georgia, fell behind twenty three nothing before making the game respectable, but at the same time never even had the ball with a chance to tie the game in the second half.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then Georgia has turned around and looked mortal against Ole Miss I mean, looked mortal against Kentucky. Like this hasn't been a vintage Georgia team where you can just throw your hands up and say, well, they're better than everybody else. What can you really do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And the one game, the one game crucible that they've played, they they failed that test.
Speaker 4: Do you think the ACC. And I know the ACC is certainly not in the same situation as the SEC and the Big ten, But do you think the ACC can get two in? I feel like it looks to me it just looks unlikely at this point because I feel like the best case would be SMU. Well, I guess if SMU does in fact went out and they win the league, then they're in in Miami. I guess could still sneak around, but I feel like SMU's got you know, they're lost to BYU. Doesn't look as good now considering by you just took their their lost to Kansas. But I kind of and maybe I am turning into an ACC honk for SMU, which just sounds like a crazy thing. Imagine telling somebody that ten years ago. But I kind of feel like they they're they're not getting the brand bumped, and it's because their brand is not established like some of these others. But I feel like their resume is pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been in my national top ten for a couple of weeks. Now I think they're top ten too. It's sad to say, but the ACC's chances of being a multi bid league probably died when Clemson lost to Georgia in Week one. If Clemson hadn't played that game, then they'd be a one truth team and you have an opportunity to go get a good win against South Carolina here in a couple of weeks. But now they're a two lost team and a mediocre conference, so they have to win the ACC to get in, and if they do that, then the Miami and or rest and you are not getting.
Speaker 4: The Zach Barnet FootballScoop dot Com is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. A couple more questions for you might have just answered one of them that I was going to ask you, and I think the answer maybe Texas, So maybe pick somebody other than Texas, if you can think of somebody, But I'm gonna ask there if a team can get in, meaning obviously you know that they need some things to work in their favorite they got to finish strong. But they're playing really good right now to where if they get in, and it's really just about if they get in, but if they do, everybody else better look out because they're playing really good football right now. Is they're a team that you feel like it's just a matter of if they get in.
Speaker 2: I mean everyone, it seems like when Alabama and Georgia get a first down and rushers to proclaim them as, oh, this is really the best team in the country.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Ohio State. They've they've played next to Texas. They played the best defense in the country all season long, I guess except for that Oregon game. But you're not gonna have to go to Austin Stadium in the playoffs. And they've got just insane talent across the board. They did lose their center, Sess McLaughlin the Alabama transfer, so that probably puts a wrench in my answer here, but I'm now like thirty seconds to do it, so I want to stay with it. I like Ohio State's best. I think Ohio State's best is the best in the country.
Speaker 4: Good stuff, all, right, last one, And it's impossible to really give an answer because you don't even know who's going to be there. But right now, and again, you've kind of kind of kind of guided me there as far as Texas and Ohio State being two teams. But you know, is there is there a team right now that you've mean actually let me let me rephrase it, because this still actually let me go in a different direction here, who do you think is the best team that probably won't make but like you feel like if they were there, it wouldn't shock you if they want it all, because I think even as a four team format that you had for a decade, very rarely did somebody get left out that you felt like, well, if they'd have gotten a spot, they don't want it all.
Speaker 1: Like we have the.
Speaker 4: Newness of the fourteen or the twelve team format here that's really gotten all the attention. As you mentioned, it's even taking away the attention from some really big games that are going to determine who makes it. But I kind of feel like one of the bigger storylines that's not being discussed is the amount of parody we have right nor really seeming parody we have at the top of college football.
Speaker 2: Can I say for my answer Indiana, Sure, there's no shame, Like if they go out and moves to Ohio State twenty eight seventeen, there's no shame in that.
Speaker 4: But so many people, Yeah, they wouldn't prove that they're bad, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: They've The thing about Indiana is like BYU and Miami when they lost those game their games, it was kind of like, you know it, finally they were flirting with disaster for weeks on end. But Indiana, outside of really the Michigan game has just kind of has killed everyone. Like yeah, they've they've played a garbage schedule, but they've played it like you would expect any top five brand to do. So, like they win almost every stack category every single week. Like what else do you expect them to do against the schedule. So, uh, if they lose to Ohio State and I'm going to predict them to lose, then uh, they're my answer.
Speaker 4: I like it as always, Zack, appreciate the time and enjoying the great weekend of college football and we'll talk soon, brother, take care?
Speaker 2: Oh good, thanks, all right, that Zack.
Speaker 4: Barnett FootballScoop dot Com. You know, Indiana. That's a good answer because if they lose to a high standing and competitive game and that's all she wrote, and they beat Purdue but get left out, I mean that would be the old that'd be the worst feeling ever if as an Indiana fan for a variety of reasons, but one you'll never really get to like know where you stood. I mean, you could feel pretty good about what you did, but you only had one real challenge, and that challenge happens to be against Ohio State at their place, and it'd be a real bummer. But if they win, they don't have to worry about it. Easier Seve than done obviously, quick break come back on the other side, don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company. Fee about thorns right here on Sportsbox seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Listen on the free iHeartRadio app for all your sports talk podcasts and music Free Never Sounded So good, presented by Isaacs and Isaac's injury lawyers. We Win Dot Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, Coffee and Company, Phil Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: I think one of the most talked about things after last night's unveiling of the updated college football playoff rankings was what Joey Galloway said Indiana should sit their quarterback Curtis Rourke against Ohio State. And I've yet to hear it, but I'm gonna hear it right now because I'm gonna play it for you guys, And I'm hoping there's some context here that I can pick up on what he's talking about, because my initial thought is is he's saying that they should sit him and like not worry about it because because they're already in even if they lose, and you don't when to get him hurt for the playoff. Because that's like an insane thing to say. But what else would he mean by saying that? Like really stupid? But let's hear it again. You've probably heard it. I haven't heard it. It's all anybody's been talking about. I just haven't been able to actually listen into that. I have been able to find the actual clip. But I believe this is it right here.
Speaker 1: They can't go.
Speaker 3: Anywhere behind that one little chance to go on the road and prove what they are now. Honestly, if we believe in what our metrics are saying. If I'm Indiana, I don't know if I'm playing rourk against Ohio State. We've seen what happened to Florida State last year, Jordan Travis. What could keep Indiana out of this getting.
Speaker 2: Their quarterback hurt?
Speaker 3: We've seen it happen to Florida State last year having not played anybody if you look at three four and.
Speaker 4: Five Texas, Okay, I mean that that yeah, Okay, that he meant what I thought that their quarterback could get hurt and then they could just be dismissed and that would keep them from getting in. If they get blown out, they'll they'll probably be eliminated. They should be. To be honest with you, hate that, but I just think that's what the committee would have to do based off of the schedule. That really isn't their fault. Doesn't prove that they're not worthy, but it would just be tough to see them getting in if that was the case. But yeah, that's I mean, there's no doubt in my mind. That was a take that he manufactured, put a lot of time into, and was ready to drop it on the reaction to the playoff rankings, and it delivered. My man, he got every everything he wanted from that saying something insane just to get a reaction, because again, I think it's what people are talking about more than anything from last night's playoff rankings. All right, let's go to the phone lines. Five W two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. Let's welcome in, Mike, Mike, what's happening?
Speaker 2: Man? Hey? But what's going on?
Speaker 4: Not much?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: So you know you asked the question like, who's going to get left out that that had you know, would have a chance to win it all? Yeah, I think you know, they're I think one of the one of the SEC teams are going to get left out, and I think those will be one. You know, whoever that fifth team is. They're not getting five the I'm gonna get the four work. But I think the more interesting thing is like who's going to be in it that has no chance? And for me, that would be Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: I can't disagree with you there. I mean, they're not the worst team, but they're Yeah, I mean I don't I don't think they've got There'll be multiple teams that get in where you feel like, yeah, they're not a threat to win the whole thing, but yeah, Notre Dame. I mean, they're getting the benefit of the doubt because they're Notre Dame and they're actually benefiting from not playing in a league. Like it's crazy how the committee has absolutely just acted as if they're unaware that they lost to Northern Illinois at home. I mean, that's that's what they've done consistently. But Mike, I appreciate the call. Yeah, Look, I think the SEC, if they only get four in the fifth team that's out, Like they may have a legitimate argument and they may belong and just got left out because the committee can only put fourteen in. But I don't know if there are that many teams in the SEC, they could win it all this year, right, Like, I think the SEC has three teams that I feel like, you know, it's hard for me to say that. You know, George and Alabama, despite both taking steps back this year, I can't sider and say that, Like, I don't see a scenario where they get in and don't win it because they're loaded and that wouldn't really be that big of a shock. But outside of those two, I guess Texas, I think it's those three ole Miss I don't know, I Kentucky beat them. I can't say that they're they're they're a threat to win the national championship. So if all miss ends up losing and they get they get left out, maybe they could claim they belong, But I don't know if I'd claim that they are worthy of. You know, I don't claim that, I because again the question I asked was who's going to get left out that you know, not only is going to have a gripe, but who who's gonna get left out that like, literally, if they got a spot they might win at all. I don't I don't know who that team would be from the SEC. But if there was going to be a team to be honest, just being honest, not to not to be a you know, a homer for the SEC, I would never want to do that. But like they are the best league. It's just I don't think that they believe they should be held accountable like everybody else because they play in a good in a really good league. And also, you know, I don't think the gap between them and everybody else is what they think it is