Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: People are gonna hear what they want to hear.
Speaker 3: No matter what I say, what you say, what Shannon says, what the guests say.
Speaker 2: People are gonna hear what they want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you meaning Christina Pascucci. Yes, I'm in today. So people are gonna say, who's the boys?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry, I got a little sidetracked because.
Speaker 1: You're thinking ahead to what's will to play.
Speaker 3: I welcome everybody's comments. Whatever, whatever you comment, you want to leave, it's fine, you can do so. On the talkback feature on the iHeart app. You hit that little microphone and we get it and we listened to them, or what you know, we can read them.
Speaker 2: They transcribe all that sort of stuff. Some just make me. I know you said you thrive on some of these negative comments.
Speaker 1: But it makes me want to be better.
Speaker 3: I just feel like, no matter what I say or do, people just hear it through their own filter.
Speaker 5: You're talking about the civil discord and way it's not the way it used to be. In what I was saying, is discourse it shows like yours you need to be it's so biased and so onsided, and there needs to being media that aren't biased anymore. You guys are so pro Trump that it's I can't even listen to it anymore. And it's not that I don't like that you support somebody, but the bias and the one side in mess is just too much for America anymore.
Speaker 3: Okay, clearly not listened because I've said repeatedly I don't support Trump, But even if I did, how could I not be biased? That doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I understand that people want to have civil discourse. I try to keep it civil. I have said multiple times I'm open minded. I'll have the conversations. They may frustrate the hell out of me, but I'll have the conversations. And I have just as many people who would say the other way. They said that they know that I voted for Joe Biden, or they they know that I support this party or that party.
Speaker 1: That's going to happen no matter what. I remember. There was this story I was doing when I was at KTLA and someone commented on social media, you liberal hack and then someone commented in response to that, and they said, she is a hack, but she's not a liberal and she's a conservative hack. So people see things through their own lens. And it really, at the end of the day, you just got to do what you do and you're gonna get criticism regardless.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't I don't care. It's not like I take it home and then go to my wife and I say, you'll never guess what they said about me today. But it's one of those frustrating things like you can't complain about civil discourse not being civil. You can't complain about that and then not realize that what you're doing is painting everything with a political brush or whatever shade politics you want to put on it. That's how you're hearing it as well. You have to be open minded, be able to discern your own bias before you suggest that somebody else is being biased on some Yep, it's.
Speaker 1: A reality we're living in and I don't think we were prepared for the psychological impact that social media would have on all of us and how it's changed our perspective of the world. And I mean that was a prime example. I do give you credit for playing a critical message of you, though it kind of reminds me of who is that Jimmy's mean tweets, Jimmy Kimmel, the mean tweets.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 3: Well, really, the only thing that's been going on today is the cleanup after Hurricane Milton. Governor DeSantis is scheduled to have another news conference at some point. We heard from President Biden, who earlier suggested that FEMA is going to set up several different disaster recovery centers throughout the state of Florida, and that is, of course, on top of the ones that already exist after Hurricane Helene, not just in Florida, but in other states as well. There was a couple of side stories about the hurricane. We talked about Lieutenant Dan, Lieutenant Dan, homeless seafarer with one leg, who wrote out the storm last night on his little boat, on a sail boat.
Speaker 1: That may or may not belong to him.
Speaker 3: He's got to coordinate this month to determine if it's is. But there was also this one. Peter Dodge, a meteorologist, died last year at the age of seventy three, and he was one of those guys who worked for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. He had flown into the eye of three hundred and eighty six different storms, tropical storms, depressions, hurricanes, et cetera that spanned through his career that spanned more than four decades, and on Tuesday, the Hurricane Hunters from NAA released his ashes inside the eye wall of Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 2: Wait what was that?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's amazing. I just sorry. Did that sound that hit my heart?
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell what kind of sigh that was.
Speaker 1: Oh did I sound like? Yeah? No, I just how moving? How beautiful? Is it?
Speaker 2: Could have been a ah, that's glittering.
Speaker 1: I need to get used to this radio thing apparently. But no, it's beautiful. And those guys who fly into those hurricanes are bad.
Speaker 3: Sure, badass. Did it feel funny when you said it?
Speaker 4: It did?
Speaker 1: Are you allowed to stay it on radio?
Speaker 2: You know? But you can't. You get one free pass, okay, and you just used it.
Speaker 3: The ashes were wrapped in the state flag of Florida, along with his flight suits, name tag, and a patch that denoted his hundreds of eyewall flights. Close friend of his said releasing the ashes into Hurricane Milton was a total honor and a great tribute to Peter. The images from inside one of those Hurricane Hunter planes just from may have been yesterday or the day before. No, I don't do great with you. Flew, but it wasn't turbulent, it wasn't bouncing up and now I didn't ever feel but again, I didn't feel like that thing was going to fall out of the air. Yeah, it's that this when when you blow through the wall of the eye of the hurricane, it almost looks like that plane's going to break apart.
Speaker 1: It does. And even it was funny to watch that video I think you're referring to from a couple days back. If you google Hurricane Hunter and you know how the search results in the past week or twenty four hours, it should come up. But they the guy said hot damn or something like that at the end, and you know, for them to have any sort of emotional reaction, says that was.
Speaker 2: A lot of sing They've done dozens.
Speaker 1: It was a violent shake when you watch that video.
Speaker 3: Well, we like to point out so Calborn businesses Born and Bred and Kevin McCartney is the founder and owner of Paquito Moss.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming in, Kevin, welcome, Thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me, and thank you for bringing food. Most importantly, people in newsrooms they you should see him.
Speaker 2: They're like bull teaches. Yeah, we're awful.
Speaker 1: This is delicious.
Speaker 6: A lot of work. You know what, the thinking of talking getting ready for everyone. You're hungry.
Speaker 3: You don't have to say that. We're just We're just sitting here doing nothing for four hours.
Speaker 1: I'm just eating this burrito.
Speaker 3: Fortieth anniversary of Poquito Moss this month. Yes, tell us about how Poquito Moss came to be well.
Speaker 2: I was a culinary orphan.
Speaker 7: I grew up in sam Bordino, a lot of meatloaf, big family, spam, baloney, oatmeal. My mother really was wonderful person, nurse working six and seven days where she was a really hard worker. But my culinary challenge was that when I became eighteen, I was working at Grummag's Chinese and somebody needed a ride home at two o'clock in the morning, and I said, oh, I'll give you right So I give a right down stun set to Alvarado and she said, oh, stop right here, I'm going to buy you a taco.
Speaker 6: And I said, okay.
Speaker 7: Now, until that time, my experience with tacos was not was more corporate tacos rather than anything else. So I had my first Carnitas blanchada taco at two o'clock in the morning in East La and I just couldn't believe flavor existed. I had no idea that there was flavor in the world, you know, from my palate. And it just it changed my life. I loved every bit of it. And so for the next decade I worked in the business and I looked at everything I could. Every vacation I went to Mexico. And then when I was just about to be thirty, I decided, you know what, I'm going to take a chance and try it on my own.
Speaker 1: That's amazing and very inspiring. So I feel like that's a scary thing to do, is start your own business. And this was nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Four, nineteen eighty four seven.
Speaker 1: Pikito mosses later, right, and you try to really source your ingredients with which I appreciate by finding the best there is. You go down to Mexico or how do you do that?
Speaker 7: You said, Actually, there's different regions of Mexico where you can get different spices, and so we.
Speaker 2: Control our own spice production.
Speaker 6: We have spices for all different things.
Speaker 7: We also have corn and flower tortillas that we make from scratch every day. All the flower tortillas for the Britos we make from scratch. We rolled ourselves. But then the real challenge was getting a corn tortilla that wasn't not at GMO. So we did a huge search for non GMO corn and about five six years ago we found a company that did organic masa flower massa, so we now only make our corn tortillas with organic corn massa.
Speaker 1: I love you guys even more. Gary and I have been talking about how broken our food system is, and for me in particular, I have eggs in mine. You see a lot more people with these autoimmune issues and skin issues, and I think it's linked to, you know, the flower that's being used and some of the glyci fate that's being sprayed onto these crops that then end up in our tortillas, or you know, so the factor you're using organic ones. I'm sure it makes a huge difference for someone like me who can't eat other stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my customers are extremely vocal, and I've been listening to them for forty years. So if they talk about something, they want something, we look at everything we can to try to match their appetite, to match their culinary needs.
Speaker 6: And I think we continue to do that, we always will do that.
Speaker 3: We're talking with Kevin McCarney, founder and owner of Pokito Moss. One of the things that you're doing, because this month is the fortieth anniversary of the opening of Poquito Moss, forty meals a month for the next twelve months to Home Again La.
Speaker 2: Why is this the thing that's going to be important for you?
Speaker 7: You know, because my mother was an amazing woman and she did the best she could.
Speaker 6: I empathize with.
Speaker 2: People that don't have enough food.
Speaker 7: When we were growing up, we gravitated to a different family that did have food as kids because there were seven of us.
Speaker 6: But my mom did great. And I think about that somebody being.
Speaker 7: Rehoused at Home Again La does a rehouse somebody who's been in a different situation, and I just want to make sure that they have a really good meal when they move into that new house. And I think that Home Again La does a fantastic job. I don't know how many people know about their organization. But they do a wonderful job. They really they make a difference in people's lives. It changes people's lives, it gives them a new start.
Speaker 3: How also did you handle COVID? I mean, we were the reason we even started this segment really was because we wanted to point out those businesses that were already it's hard to start a business in California, in southern California, it's hard to live through regulations, taxes, and then COVID hit, and it was hard to live through the Health Department rules and regulations of when you could open, what you could serve, how it was going to go, whether you had people in outside.
Speaker 2: How did you get through that?
Speaker 7: Well, Lady Satan right next to me, Patty Ravellis, it was a tremendous reason we got through that the way we did, and it was it was pivoting every single every week. It was new rules, new regulations. I have a fantastic accountant to Richard Martin, and.
Speaker 6: He just because you need you don't believe the nightmare.
Speaker 7: Paperwork you had to do during COVID to comply with all the different regulations. And so what we did is we just we met, We meet still every single week, but we go through everything, what do we need to do today? It is all about that day because every day was different, and you know, we had to close the restaurant, close the dining room, we had to add Dutch doors to the outside of the restaurant. You know, order one side, pick up the other, and we just pivoted.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: The biggest challenge with delivery companies because they were charging so much, but they you know, also we were keeping people working because wo would be delivered. So it's not their fault, that's just their business model. And we've adjusted that since then. But it really was about us talking every single day and what do we need to do because we realized that we didn't We was supposed to be what three weeks, four weeks, six weeks initially, and then.
Speaker 6: When it went on and on and on and on, and you know, we.
Speaker 7: Just did whatever we could have, brought whatever we need to make sure everybody nobody lost their job with us.
Speaker 6: Nobody lost their job. We kept them all working.
Speaker 7: And I think that to me, that's why we still were not looking for people, because are still with us.
Speaker 6: I haven't.
Speaker 2: My first employee hired forty years ago, still with us.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, and that's pretty remarkable to be around for forty years. You know, as a smaller business, what do you attribute your longevity to? Is it the way you've treated your workers as families, your how particularly you are with your ingredients. What do you think he's pointing at Patty, who he has with him. Hit that little button on there's a button, right, You're good, Yeah, you got it, he.
Speaker 4: Said it exactly. We're all family there. We support each other. We I know everybody exactly, and I get to know them, they get to know us, and we just support each They help us and that's what kept us together.
Speaker 1: That we were a team.
Speaker 4: And Kevin did a wonderful job at keeping everybody with their you know, schedules because of the deliveries we had worked for them, and they appreciate that till this day. They always remember and say thank you for keeping us. A lot of people lost their jobs around the COVID and you know, we're always there for their showers, weddings, help and.
Speaker 1: I'm giving back in so many ways, which I love was speaking of. Which do you want to do this now?
Speaker 3: Oh well, we actually are going to give away, not yet, but we'll tell you how we're going to do it. Before the end of the show, giveaway to one of our listeners, a forty burrito party to celebrate the fortieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: Forty burrito to party.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 2: Forty? Try it again? Where did it go? Forty burrito to party? Moss, Yes, I say that right to.
Speaker 3: Any forty burritos, any forty plus chips and salts to the celebs.
Speaker 1: And there we have this spicy shrimp in here, the steak, the bean and cheese, and I'm trying all of them.
Speaker 2: And there, well, there's all right there and the pork that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a lot of eating to do in just a few minutes. Kevin, thanks for coming in, Thanks for bringing past. Thank you so much for having Hurricane Milton. After it made landfall along the Gulf Coast as a Category three storm, it's now down to category one as it's made its way away from Florida on the East coast and it's now headed out towards the Atlantic. Had maximum sustained winds of a one hundred and twenty miles an hour when it came ashore in Siesta Key, which is south of Tampa. Storm surge was affecting a long stretch of the Florida Gulf Coast, densely populated areas like Saint Petersburg and Sarasota and Fort Myers. CNN reported that now the death tool is at nine and is expected to rise. Most of those believed to have been caused by the tornadoes that hit as a result of the storm before it came on shore. Internationally, Lebanese health authorities say that the Israeli air strikes on a couple of different neighborhoods in Central Bay Route have killed at least eighteen people. The Health ministry said the strikes damaged the residential building and caused another one to completely collapse. Israel has been broadening its campaign against Hesbelah militants and lesbianon at Lebanon.
Speaker 2: I keep screwing that up. You just say that Hesblah and Lebanon hesbelow Lebanon.
Speaker 3: That's why I can't keep saying Lesbonon launched ground invasion. Israeli strikes have been pretty common, far more common now in the last couple of days, pretty rare. If you get inside Beirut, there's dropping most of their bombs out in this suburbs.
Speaker 2: A reminder.
Speaker 3: We will be given away in a little bit one of our listeners a forty burrito party from Peqito Moss to celebrate their fortieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: So you want to pay attention to that.
Speaker 3: And then tonight baseball stuff, Well, Cleveland Detroit is going to be at three o'clock today in the Alds. Tigers lead that series two to one. Yankees Royals. Yankees lead the series two to one. There they play this evening. Tomorrow night is going to be Game five, the deciding game of the Padres Dodgers series, where they're tied at two thanks to the Dodgers winning eight to.
Speaker 1: Nights of monc I said victory. That was an exciting game I watched. It was part of the homework I listened to that. You gave me Yeah, And I must say I went down a show. Hey, o Tani rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: There's a lot there there is.
Speaker 1: Did you know that his mom was an accomplished Batmanton player and his first swings were mimicking his mom's Batmanton swing.
Speaker 2: She left handed too.
Speaker 1: I have no idea that I didn't go that deep.
Speaker 3: My wife is a star basketball player, or at least was. I don't know if she still plays.
Speaker 1: And his dad played amateur baseball for the company he was working for, and shohe actually was more of a swimmer as a young kid, and then you know he got into baseball and fell in love with that. He's the youngest of three kids.
Speaker 2: He's a tall guy too. Yeah, huge person.
Speaker 1: Born in Osho, Japan.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know that. Thursday Night football.
Speaker 3: Also, forty nine ers are in Seattle to take on the Seahawks, which may give you a clue as to where Shannon is today.
Speaker 2: But it's time for strength science. It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 3: To follow up on Hurricane Milton as it made its way through Florida. One of the things that happened was there was a negative storm surge in some parts of Tampa. It's called negative storm surge or reverse storm surge, and the hurricane itself kind of sucked the sea water out of the Tampa Bay. A flood gage near Tampa showed the water levels fluctuating as Milton got closer and then drop as the storm's eye passes just to the south. In fact, the water in Tampa Bay dropped three feet from where it was expected to be on a normal day. We saw that during Hurricane Ian in twenty two, Hurricane Irma in twenty seventeen. Usually only lasts a few hours. The outward flow, they said, is referred to this negative storm surge. In this case, the winds actually drain the bay instead of flooding the bay.
Speaker 1: And what's a little concerning about this is the fact that you know, onlookers they observe this happening. They shouldn't be out there anyway, they should have been evacuated. But the ones who are there, they might get curious, they might go look and see what's going on. But Offici'll say that's very dangerous because then the water returns. In some times it can rise quickly within just a matter of a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Wash out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Speaking of storms, there is a severe solar storm headed to Earth.
Speaker 2: It could stress power grids. Today.
Speaker 3: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued the severe geomagnetic storm watch for today and tomorrow. They said they saw an outburst from the sun detected earlier this week, and then it takes that long for it to get here. They also talked about an alert to FEMA about possible power disruptions. It can also affect radio signals, GPS signals, et cetera. Forecasters do not expect it to surpass the one that slammed into Earth back in May. That was the strongest one we saw in a couple decades. But they're not quite sure until they won't know until it's just a million miles.
Speaker 2: Away, right.
Speaker 1: They are more concerned, they said, about the effects of the power grids and areas that were slammed by Hurricane Hallen a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they're barely getting back some of the power in some of those areas, and some of them haven't seen power since Alene went through.
Speaker 1: And then something that onlookers could observe as storm could trigger northern lights as far south in the US as the lower Midwest, even northern California. We don't have the exact times of locations yet, but skygazers can use their smartphones point them upward for photos. And what's really cool, I actually did this when I went to Alaska to look at the northern lights. Your phone can capture them pretty well.
Speaker 3: Better than your eyes can, or they recognize them better than your eyes can.
Speaker 1: Very cool.
Speaker 3: We are near the eleven year peak of solar activity in the cycle.
Speaker 2: Which I didn't know there was.
Speaker 1: But there you go.
Speaker 3: All right, before we get back into stream science, why don't we give away that forty burrito party to celebrate the Pokito Moss fortieth anniversary. Any forty burritos your choice, chips and saltsa to celebrate whatever. Hey, maybe that's just lunch forty burritos. I'd give it a shot. I wouldn't get very deep into it, but maybe maybe it's lunch.
Speaker 1: No judgment, he imagine you're insights.
Speaker 3: So Collar number six is going to win this forty burrito party from Piquito Moss eight hundred five to two zero one five three four eight hundred five to two ozho one kfi. Again, Caller number six is going to win the forty burrito party from Piquito Moss. We're in the middle of strain science talking about some interesting things that are going on in that world. The average size of global wildlife populations has declined by seventy three percent over the last fifty years. It's a study called the twenty twenty four Living Planet Report, and it monitored wildlife populations of almost fifty five hundred species amphibians, birds, fish, mammals, reptiles between nineteen seventy and twenty twenty, and they said that there were declines in every indicator that tracks the state of nature on a global scale.
Speaker 1: The study found freshwater population suffered the heaviest declines, falling by eighty five percent, and then terrestrial populations they call them, you know, land animals declined by sixty nine percent and marine population fifty six percent. I've heard a startling statistic that our big fish have gone down by like ninety something percent, and so that's why there's been a recent push to have these marine protected areas on our oceans. But very scary, I mean, very alarming to hear this.
Speaker 3: It would be one thing if we were also discovering thousands of new species of animals that we hadn't seen before that were either being that were sort of making their way genetically to replace these others that are lost. But they do say that most of the loss of species is driven by human related strains. Habitat degradation and loss found to be the biggest driver of population loss in every region of the world. And then over exploitation, which can be over farming or harvesting or whatever it is, and then invasive species and disease that count for some of the decline as.
Speaker 1: Well, and the changing climate was also listed on there, and global tipping points are highly likely if current trends continue. And you know, I think the bottom line is nature is what helps us, I mean, come back to ourselves, helps us thrive. We need to take care of our planet. Bottom line.
Speaker 2: This is one species I'm glad did not.
Speaker 3: Make it any farther than it did. The six and a half foot long millipede.
Speaker 1: The picture of this just makes me I don't even know.
Speaker 3: This is the size of a small car, a millipede like creature. They said it's the largest arthropod ever to live.
Speaker 1: Six and a half feet long. No, that's just the head. Oh my gosh, it's.
Speaker 2: The arthropod our throw player. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Lived in the forest near the equator between three hundred and forty six and two hundred and ninety million years ago, which wait a minute, means that this thing was alive for one hundred and no, well, let's see forty five. That's fifty six million years. That seems like a pretty good run for something that's six and a half feet long.
Speaker 2: The head of the boy.
Speaker 3: They said it was known they've known that this thing existed since about the eighteenth century, but they had not found a complete head. Oh, this is making me give me the absolute queebies. Now the completed head, you can see the mandibles, the eyes, and these characteristics help them understand the position of the creature when it comes to evolution.
Speaker 1: Thinking of prehistoric creatures just takes me down a whole other rabbit hold so fascinating a random factoid that this makes me think of. Do you know that there is an animal living today that is estimated to have been alive for five hundred years? Do you have any guesses what it is?
Speaker 2: Horseshoe crab.
Speaker 1: A shark the Greenland shark scientists discovered and they said they estimated it to be over five hundred years old. Its depths of the ocean. This type of shark tends to have a very long life, probably because it's far away from the impact of humanity. Crazy, huh, I've never heard of that before. Google it or aschat, gipt or something.
Speaker 3: NASA says they have received a laser signal from a spacecraft that's two hundred and ninety miles away the Psyche spacecraft launched in October of last year. The main mission was to study an asteroid with that name, but it's also carrying an experiment to test laser communication with space, which is pretty fantastic because if we can do that, lasers can actually send data at rates up to one hundred times that of radio frequencies. And then how about we end with this something fun. Dolphin, my favorite, smile at each other when they play to avoid misunderstandings. Yeah, they're just like us, civil discourse. Yeah, it's all we want.
Speaker 2: Even the dolphins have it and we can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could learn a lot from them.
Speaker 3: They said that they smiled almost always when they were in their playmate's field of view, and that their playmate would smile back one third of the time, suggesting some form of communication, hypothesizing that by smiling, and they use quotes there at each other, the dolphins could stop their games from descending into a real fight because of any sort of miscommunication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the one scientist does caution against extrapolating. Is that how you say that way?
Speaker 2: Extrapolating?
Speaker 1: Extrapolating? Oh, lord lord, helmey, it's been a long day, and she said, I do think the Dolphins engage in an open mouth response during play situations. I'm not comfortable calling it a smile because they also use the open mouth displays in other contexts. So there you have it.
Speaker 2: Well, why does it have to be so technical about it. Just let the Dolphins smile.
Speaker 6: I know sound.
Speaker 1: Just give us the smile we need it.
Speaker 2: I've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app