Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the Podcast. I am Mark the w and l Halfmire.
Speaker 2: And I am Jay Aquatica Obstacle Course CLO's welcome here boy DPC the podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire Deep Blue Sea Turgy seene by the scene. How will do it again with all new wonderful guests, because we just love this film so much and this is DeepC one, chapter twenty nine. What happens in chapter twenty nine, Let's have a listen. The surface level of Aquatica is in flaming, crumbling ruins. Susan dresses preachers wounded leg. She wipes his forehead and he opens.
Speaker 3: His eyes.
Speaker 4: Level, you know, because his eyes. Susan joins Carter outside.
Speaker 5: It'll be okay if we can get out of here.
Speaker 4: They survey the scene and Carter has a realization.
Speaker 6: It's not a little bitch what those fences are titanium underneath, but on top they're just playing steel. They've been hurting us, pushing us where they won, using us to flood the facility.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: That's the answer to the riddle, because that's what an eight thousand pound mako thinks about about freedom. About the deep blue sea.
Speaker 5: We have to kill her.
Speaker 6: Now, that's the first real smart thing you've said all day.
Speaker 4: A clone of water up. So the shark is bashing against the fence.
Speaker 6: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Carter and Susan make their way across the broken wall place. A shark continues to bash against the fence. At the armory, Carter han Susan a harpoon gun and a box.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 4: He carries a large battery. As they head up some stone steps. They unscrew the gun and begin pouring gunpowder out of some flares.
Speaker 6: We ought to get about two and a half six of dynamite out of these flares.
Speaker 4: Carter loads it into the harpoon gun.
Speaker 1: From up here.
Speaker 6: You ought to be able to see me spirit when I do. You take this end of the cable, hook it up to the positive side of the boat battery, and boom.
Speaker 4: Susan doesn't look confident that she takes the other end of the wire.
Speaker 3: So that was keep see waiting Chapter twenty.
Speaker 1: J Jay, I want to see a deep blues like you know the show wipe Out and like I don't know those shows where people have to run optical verses and just wipe out. I want to see like an aquatica version of that.
Speaker 2: Yep, me too, with sharks, of course, with sharks, and we'll need someone's advice on what sharks to put in that facility, and the best person to ask be our guest this week is doctor Jack Cooper.
Speaker 3: Jack, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Well Jay, and hello Mark, and thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: This is your first time watching Deep Blue CY? Sorry? Jay, this is awesome. This is great, Yes, it is, it is.
Speaker 5: I've seen many a shark film my time, but incredibly one of those films that eluded me all this time was Deep BLUEC. So it was great to be asked to come on. I got and it's just to finally watch this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well, so I think you're our first shark expert. We've had like shark fans on, but you're like a proper paleobiologist megaladorn expert shark advocate. I'm just reading off for your website at this point, but you're a full like proper shark guy.
Speaker 3: And so why why why didn't you watch there?
Speaker 5: Now a pretty reasonable question. It was on my list for years and years and I just never got round to it. Have doing a PhD. Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of free time, so I think I just needed the push and coming here was finally the thing that maybe what sit down and are You watch it and.
Speaker 1: It changed your life and you'll never be the same.
Speaker 5: Well, I will say it's some of the best movie I've watched about genetically modified.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you feel about them picking goo sharks for this? You know, they're fast, they can jump, they they like it's it's it's not the bull shark, it's not the Great White shark. I feel like it was kind of a neat and almost smart decision to make Mako sharks. They're not really the bad guys because you're just trying to escape prison. But like, what do you think about the idea to get Maco sharks in this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought that was a really interesting idea because obviously, in anyone who has seen any shark movie knows that the Great White is the most famous one and the one that they love to put in the movies. So it's always nice when there's an appreciation for a different kind of shark. I don't know the mako is closely related to the white shark. You're right, and that's a very different kind of shark. It's famously the fastest shark known to man. I can swim it about possibly as much as forty five miles per hour, and that a lot makes them quite scary form.
Speaker 1: Without one, without genetic modification.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and that makes for very interesting. It's nice to see a different kind of shark in this kind of movie. And I like your points where you say they're not tenky the bad guys. That was actually one of the things I really enjoyed it took away from Deep Blue c is that generally, yes, the sharks are killing and eating everyone, but if anything, the bad guy is essentially man who has messed with these sharks and tried to use them for man's own end. And I thought that was a very fascinating take on the shark film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're not like the psychic evil shark from Jaws, the revenge you just want to revenge. It's not just the super hungry shark from Jaws. They're just like, get me out of here. We're smart, like we want to be in the ocean. Let's heard these humans and kill them and get them out of here. And I love it. It makes me it makes me really happy. Did you like the design of the sharks? Did you? Did they look good for you?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Were they? Yeah?
Speaker 5: They did look good. They actually looked very close to what a real life maker looks like. And given that this film was made in nineteen ninety nine, I was pleasantly surprised and pretty impressed by that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just gonna keep asking you questions that I know will have good answers so I can just be like, Yes, this movie is great.
Speaker 3: This movie is great.
Speaker 1: Sharks people, thank you.
Speaker 3: I was gonna got jay.
Speaker 5: I've never known a shark to hurt people, and that's the most still about again, so I can give.
Speaker 3: This is this chapter.
Speaker 2: We there's not a lot of sharks in the chapter compared to the ones we've had, but this is the one where they talk about the motivation of the sharks to to get out for the deep Blue c I know.
Speaker 3: This is all this is a genum modified is all hypothetical.
Speaker 2: But does that make sense to you? As your are are gonna be all our resident shark X. But we're just gonna assume you know everything inside out of every shark and every in the whole world.
Speaker 3: So does that make sense to you from the perspective of a shark expert.
Speaker 7: Sharks in the context of the film, Sure there is good enough, well great white scan living captivity, right, so I bet you know some sharks just don't can't survive like that.
Speaker 1: So even though they're in the ocean, they probably they want out. macOS want to swim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, and you're right they're great. White sharks very rarely have successfully been keptain captivity. I can only think of one, and even then they had to release it in the end. And a lot of that's due to the fact that these sharks are ram ventilators, which means they have to continuously swim across a big stretch of sea in order to just stay alive. And that's true of white sharks, and it's also true of makos that are their close relatives. So make you could very well see us a pretty good motivation for a genetically modified mako shark.
Speaker 1: Well, like you guys are killing us. We can't be start it's a nice little pen, like if this was a zoo, it'd be an adequate pen. But we're like we can destroy cameras and like we can heard people like let me out of here, like, let me go ahead with.
Speaker 2: We don't see the sharks sitting still, so I don't if I'm guessing you haven't seen Deep with C two Jack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I haven't seen two or three, but I know they exist.
Speaker 2: We'll have you back, don't you worry. So the TBC two and three look at bull sharks, and there is a scene ind WC two a bull shark sat or not sack, just stationary at the window, watching listening to a conversation happening inside the room by two people. But the shark isn't moving. It's kind of stationary.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing of all the things I've just said in that scene, that's the bit that's least likely to be believable. It's the shark and not moving.
Speaker 5: Certainly not a polatic shark like a bull shark. Any sharks that do stand sort of just sit still and a moving tend to be sharks that live on the sea bottom and so nothing like a bull shark. But you've got me interested to watch it now, Okay.
Speaker 3: So three has a similar scene three it's favorite scene.
Speaker 1: It's about a guy who wants to prevent a robot AI apocalypse, so he making bull sharks smarter and using their brain juice. He's drinking their brain juice to give himself limitless powers like Bradley Cooper to prevent the robot apocalypse. It's the greatest plot. It's the greatest plot of every any excuse that I have to explain the plot of Deep Blue cy I take it because.
Speaker 2: You get you get baby bullshots and pans, you get a shark, heat's a drone at one point, it's glorious. It's we're looking forward to bring it again.
Speaker 1: And there's a doctor called doctor Misty Calhoun, yep.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: And there's a guy called Trent Slator or Slater Trent, you know, we keep messing up his name. But it's a it's a gorgeous movie to behold. So you've been on the Jaws Minute podcast a lot, like what was it nice to have a break to watch some kind of Deep Blue silliness aside for like you know, like I don't know it's Jaws is just like a don't call classic and I you know, I've been thinking about Jaws lately, where like it's narrative is set. It's a classic, even if there's think pieces saying it's not that good. The world just considers it to be like at all timer, but I feel like Deep Blue Sea. The reason why I love it so much, it's like, I don't know, maybe not like sharks themselves, but like I feel like it's kind of misunderstood and people don't think it's good, but I think it's a real like. I don't think it's narrative is fair. I think it's actually a really good film and it's fun. I don't know if you feel that way.
Speaker 5: So to answer to your first bit, it is definitely.
Speaker 1: Nice, different questions different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nice to talk about different shark because, besides Jaws, which I always love talking about, by far and away, the film I'm asked about the most is The meg because of my research on Megalodon, and that's also sort of a big, dumb, silly, fun movie but doesn't have quite the interesting thematic resence that say Deep Blue c has. So it's definitely been interesting to just see not only a different but a new one in my case, and in many ways it sort of takes sharpens into two different camps, and that's something I don't see a lot of shark signs as talking about. There is your serious shark film, which is your Jaws is basically or something like The Shallows. And then there's your big, dumb, silly shark films like the meg or if you want to go really b movie, things like Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopu Staff features sharks jumping out and snatching planes in the air. So a lot of that's going to depend on not just how much you care about shark conservation or specifically how you feel about sharks being depicted, but also just your taste in movies in general. And as someone who is very, very passionate about shark conservation, I can definitely appreciate both kinds of shark movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah is it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Jay.
Speaker 2: We cover the full spectrum on here as well. We've done all the sharknadoes, we cover them all, but we've also done like open Water and the reef and the more serious stuff. I tend to prefer the sillier side of things, Mark Clubs, everything.
Speaker 1: I just love movies. Films are flicks, you know any of them. And so you know, Jaws, I know kind of sparked a not like a backlash. I mean, people should be smart enough to know it's a book.
Speaker 3: Or a movie.
Speaker 1: But you know, sharks got hurt by that film, and I think, you know, open water of the reef, you know, it's like more of a realistic kind of view where I don't think it hurts them. It's just like they're out here to kill you. You're in this vast open ocean, and it might happen, there might be sharks, But I think Deep Blue Sea works because it's like, it's not Shane. The sharks are built like, it doesn't villainize them, like everyone watching it isn't like, yeah, go fin them, Like they're just like, yeah, these poor sharks, like they've been modified. So I think that's kind of a nice subversion of like Killer Shark movie where they're more.
Speaker 2: Sotic guys into at the start of two the shark finners and they get taken out immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah they yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I sat down to watch the movie, the very first scene you have the boats at my mediful was, I know what's happening here, We're gonna get a shark and see here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they sort of survive. No one dies in that scene, which is rare for that kind.
Speaker 5: Of indeed that that's sort of like, oh okay, maybe I don't know where this is going. And actually, partly to what Mark is saying, that is sort of the distinction for Deep Blue Sea to me is the fact that, yes, the sharks are killing everyone, but they're certainly not the monsters per se. They are creations of mankind and essentially Macann trying to mess with nature, and I think that's a really interesting angle for the shark film that I don't think I've seen in any other shark film, so it certainly stands out for that reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's Drassick Park, it's Frankenstein. It's been in other.
Speaker 2: Films, but it's the only other film that the same year the DEPC came out, Shark Attack came out straight to the TV movie, which has a very similar plot of sharks being bred to cure cancer, I think, but it's much it's as much smaller aspect of it. So that's the only other like shark film I can think of that has a similar kind of plot. So I'm assuming you'd knew the Sam Jackson death scene prior to going in.
Speaker 5: So that was the one scene I knew of going in, yes, And it's funny had I not known that I would have been watching this film and thinking Samuel Jackson was the main character with the way they introduced him and the way he leads the group, which is what makes his death scene so iconic. He's literally in the middle of giving a heroic monologue than any other movie. That would be what drives the group together for the third acts. And then he gets eaten. Just incredible, It's great.
Speaker 1: And what do you think about Whitlock's death where he gets carried around, travels all over, uses a battering ram, looks at his his you know, wife or girlfriend as he's about to corrack through the glass, Like, what do you think about that? Gnarly kill?
Speaker 5: Oh, both of the walls.
Speaker 1: You might so love it. We said it many times that Rena Halland loves killing people really hard, and so yeah, he does that in this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And if you've got to get a big recently Oscar nominated actor like Stelling scars God and then you might as well go all out with Hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some sentimental to his death, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're recording this just a couple of days after he didn't win the Oscar And I'm quite sad because I had my hopes on another Deeper Sea cast member getting OSCA.
Speaker 1: You know what the problem is with sentimental value though, it's like it won Best International Feature, but it's just so I've said this many times, Jay, but so emotionally mature. It's nice, like there's no huge speeches or like flashy melodrama. It's just smart people being emotionally mature. And I think that hurt it. It makes it a very good movie. But also it's like it's just so good because it's it's not like big and bold, like one battle after another, you know, like Sean Penn's performances clash. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't have Sean Penn scenes from that. But I think Scars Guard is just very good and yeah, yeah perfect.
Speaker 3: And Sean Penn didn't need a third Oscar didn't. You can show up for it.
Speaker 2: But if we're talking about the foreign language Oscars, I would have gone for it was just an accident. I think he should have won a sentimental value because it's phenomenal.
Speaker 5: On a train recently, I loved the Voice of Hidjar before. That was an incredible film and I've not seen it, but I'm aware of The Secret Agents features a tiger sharks, so I need to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the one. It's the of all the films this year. I had the most sharks in it in the Oscar Races. I didn't I didn't love the Secret Agent because the shark's dead. There's the sharks never alive at any point. It's a dead shark throughout.
Speaker 1: What's the point. And they were selling it on Neon. They were selling a shark with the leg in its mouth on the website and I was like, I'm gonna get that, but it was sold out. So I almost had a shark with a leg in its mouth from the Secret Agent from Neon, but I guess everyone bought it already. Kind of bummed about that. So if you're going to like cure you know, any disease, what shark would you use to test on?
Speaker 3: What a question?
Speaker 5: So that's probably not something I you're really anybody can answer. And I think I suspect that this plot point came from a well regarded myth that sharks don't get cancer. Basically, that's not true that we've seen plenty of We've seen plenty of sharks that have tumors, Cancer's tumors on them. So that sort of the spells out the window. But it's a convenient myth you can use for a genetically modified shark movie, so we'll go for it's whatever.
Speaker 1: Like, what are those sharks on the blue Blue Planet that when the whalefall goes to the bottom of the ocean, those gigantic sharks feed off the carcass, like live on the bottom. What are they? I know? I know that, Like I have a friend that, like he's a one entomologist and so he just this thing is neatle So I know you don't know every single kind of shark, but you know what they are. Those things freak me out. I think they'd be good for a horror movie.
Speaker 5: So I suspect you're talking of splunt nosed six skilled sharks, which are these very big sharks with six skills on each end, and they have these very fleaky comb like teeth that can be used to eat really just about anything they come across, and they get quite big, so they do occasionally eat marine metals. So having I think of the scene in like I think it's Blue Planet when one of them gets quite close to the sub. If that's the shark you're talking about, then it's six skale sharks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those things look awesome.
Speaker 2: That you have a favorite shark shack that hasn't been used in a film before waiting.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I love answering this because everyone assumes my favorite shark is Megalodon, the giant exting shark, and in many ways it is. That is what had caused my interest in sharks in general. But my favorite living shark is actually called a cookie cutter shark.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, finy.
Speaker 5: Little sharks that swim up to bigger animals, take a perfect circular chunk out of them and then some away. They probably wouldn't make for very interesting movie because all they're doing is taking tiny bites out of people, but it would be a different shark movie.
Speaker 3: Well, they're in Shark Knight three D.
Speaker 2: If you want to see Shark Knight three D has a lake full of different kinds of sharks in it, one of which is cookie cutter sharks, So that should be on your list to watch next.
Speaker 3: I guess Shark Knight three D.
Speaker 1: Oh it is now, Yeah, and there's a scene where a great white shark swims past a jet ski that's opened it up like it's going like maybe I don't know, forty miles an hour flying down a river, the shark gets past, it goes past, turns around, that jumps out of the water and catches the guy when he's jet skiing.
Speaker 3: And a guy has a spit fight with a hammerhead shot in the shadows. Yep, these are all things.
Speaker 2: That happen, and it's very realistic film. So when you do watch it, you got you got to stick around to the end of the credits.
Speaker 3: I won't say why, but you gotta watch the end of the credits for Shop.
Speaker 1: Three D have a very important question for you, Jack. Do you like the meg.
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: I do like the megans a slight spoiler to the top four shartms list, and a lot of the reason for that is appreciating that it doesn't take itself that seriously. It knows exactly what movie it is, and it sort of just goes for it, especially sort of compared to the book, which I also liked, but takes itself a lot more seriously. And generally, my logic towards the Meg films has always been, yes, they're stupid and don't make a lot of sense, but if somebody watches that film and then decides that they're going to research megalodon or indeed sharks, and they discover something new or they contry to conservation. Then knows me to eggs has been a good thing. That being said, Meg too is a piece of trash.
Speaker 3: We prefer Meg two to Meg one this show because Meg Make two is more Megs than it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's jet Skis. I like, I like jet Skis that is so you'll notice that, and he swims on the bottom of the ocean. He just he's like, I'm gonna breathe out and I'm just gonna.
Speaker 2: Swim and we like, Yeah, we like it because it's it really leans into the city noess, even more I think than the first one does.
Speaker 5: So it's funny to see what the jet skis like. The one scene I like hit Meg two and the entire vie I'm like, can I can I just have the sharks eat people? Please? And then when they finally do, starting everyone then for about ten minutes, it's pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the.
Speaker 2: Problem with the first one when when the Megs swimming through that massive all those people swimming out in the sea, I always say it should be going through like a like a pool.
Speaker 3: Skimmer. It like collecting hundreds of people up at a time. It's not getting anyone.
Speaker 1: I like the guy in the bubble, that was a funny like that, that's great. Does he pop? Does he eat that guy? Does he pop that thing?
Speaker 5: He absolutely does eat that guy.
Speaker 1: I love it. So this scene, like, uh, you know, I kind of love that. You know, this is kind of what the Indian was going towards j before they did the reshoots. It was Susan and Carter enacting the plan while preachers. Do you know about the ending?
Speaker 3: Jack?
Speaker 1: And what what the original ending was?
Speaker 5: I wasn't there was an original ending. The only original change Shark movie and I know of is of course yours four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of there's no end of deep who see Susan survived.
Speaker 3: She she's the one who explodes and kills the shark. Preacher is alive as well, but he's still just injured off screen. Uh.
Speaker 2: And they released that, well, didn't release it from They did test screenings and the general opinion was people didn't like Susan as a character and wanted her to be killed, and so they reshot it. I think I think we've said they've shot it without telling Saffron Borrows.
Speaker 1: They didn't tell her.
Speaker 3: She didn't find out until the premiere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like the final shot of carteron Preacher on the platform, she's been digitally removed from from that shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess to be fair to those test audience since the sharks going round for the everyone, it's kind of her fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's there's different canvass to whether she's the villain of the film or not. We we very she did she did without she knew what she was doing was wrong, but for good reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then so many things have been done with the best intention that.
Speaker 1: Just don't ever I've said a hundred times, but you haven't Jack given her. It's like, I don't think she meant to make them that smart like that, that's a purely oops moment. Like if you're if you're like, I'm gonna make these sharks smarter so I can get bigger brain tissue to prevent Alzheimer's, but you're never like, I'm gonna make them so smart that they can understand cameras swim backwards. They're waiting for Susan to kill the research Like these things are they're like coach, like, they're like, we have a plan. You go here, you go here, you go here, We'll have them sink the facility. They don't kill Carter a bunch of times because they want the doors open, like you, I'm sorry, but I don't think you ever go into like a scientific study being like this is gonna happen. So I I feel for her. She lied, and she did make them smarter, and she did break a lot of what the Geneva compact and the half OF's going back, yeah, all that stuff, like it's I don't know.
Speaker 5: She just so, yeah, it's adgy. My day to day job is actually in publishing ethics and science papers. So that did get me thinking about when I was Revelation came out so ethically, Yes, Susan and Jim have absolutely breached scientific efforts when it comes to testing animals. They would both lose their jobs if that became public. But at the same time, anyone defending them would probably argue, well, they were doing it to cure Alzheimer's And that's where sort of the gray area comes in, and that does make for quite an interesting sort of debate that the characters have in the film. And you can look at it one way, as in for the greater good, or you can look at it is as right. But she also committed so many ethical breaches of testing animals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if if Garza and Preacher hadn't you know, taken the sharks out by the end of the film, what have it? Could they ever on the rest of the world.
Speaker 5: Who knows exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, what could that shark have done to the rest of the world, because that shark bread she would need to like who would breed with that shark?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Like would she? She's it would she could cause chaos in the ocean, But would she be able to breed?
Speaker 5: Well, my best guess. Keep in mind this is a genetically modified macro sharks that she'd probably just eat quite a lot of it. And now maco sharks generally probably would have been preyed on by a killer whale. But if we consider that this shark is super super smart, we'll say maybe not. I think honestly, the worst of was that she would eat quite a lot of it before dying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the world wouldn't be over, it would just be you know, al watch out, there's a gigantic makeo that's smarter than you are swimming around the area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny because in most circumstances, if it was a regular shark film about a giant mako, given that overfishing kills millions of sharks every year and over a further them a friend of extinction, we would have taken that shark out long ago. But then of course you considered that the shark is super super smart, and that's sort of where the interesting hypotheticals come.
Speaker 3: In, and then they blow it up. So this could be a city question. Can sharks communicate with each other?
Speaker 5: So it sort of depends on the shark. Obviously sharks cannot verbally communicate, but there are some sharks. Obviously some of them gather in groups called shivers, So there are some sharks that have some social aggregations, and there are some sharks, such as chained swell sharks, that are actually bible luminescent and can glow in the dark and people. Some scientists think that might be a form of communication. And of course with shivers, there's some sort of hierarchical dominance going on. Even when white sharks, if a big female comes along, the other white sharks tend to not bother with whatever they're hunting, So can they communicate? As a very bored question, but the answer is read, that is some evidence of sociality in at least some species of shark.
Speaker 2: So because because we've often hypothesized that, how did they come up with this plan together as a team, as a family, I guess, like with with they having like meetings, drawing in the sand, like you.
Speaker 3: Go here, you go here, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Was it just a conversation but they're underwater, So because clearly they must this is a plan they come up with. This film opens with one of them getting out to see the response. Time for Garden to go and get them to come back in again, and like you go, you go, get Preacher in the kitchen, you go get the data in Susan's office or take out the rest of them.
Speaker 3: It's a plan.
Speaker 2: It's a big plan, and they must have had some means of communicating it between them, and I have often wondered how, Because they're sharks.
Speaker 5: I like to think they met a bit like the sharks and shark him too, and sat around and had a chat.
Speaker 1: Sure they must have, right, they chatted These sharks had a chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like but yeah, like Jack Blackened not Society is not a shock and the nearest the Shock and first Fermi his name.
Speaker 3: I can never remember.
Speaker 5: The wee fish that's played by Monscore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the fish. Yeah, that's still shrimp.
Speaker 1: There's movies where I want to see, like I want to see the plant. I want this to be from their perspective and be like an Ocean's eleven movie. Like just like George Clooney voices one, Brad Pitt voices the other Matt Damon, No, it's a lady Julia Roberts. No, it'd be Julia Roberts, Catherine Zada Jones and Clooney and they're just like voicing the sharks to get out of Aquatica. That's the movie I want, and I feel like we might it's.
Speaker 3: The movie we want. Yeah, one doesn't want.
Speaker 1: So aside from the Samuel Jackson surprise that you knew about and we are talked about whitlocks, were there other things that you enjoyed or found surprising about this movie where like subversive or different or smart or put a smile on your face.
Speaker 5: So I was grinning ear to ear everybody, which is something that is manly a bit basic on watching a Shark film. But as we were going from each as the group dwindles down and more and more of them get eaten, I was finding myself continuously grilling at the new ways they foundselves to do it. Like obviously Stell Jim Stelling Skarsgar's character gets pretty batters before they finish him off. He gets his even getting his arm lifted off initially, and then the ways that they kill Scogs is quite is quite impressive, and I was particular to find that because I didn't find myself that convinced by Michael Rappoport's performance. So I was just kind of happy when he got eaten.
Speaker 3: It is the heart and soul of the film.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows what Scog does here. What is Gog's He said he went to T. Did you say he went to MI T.
Speaker 2: He was meant to be an engineer, Yeah, yeah, he's meant to be aged four years tech tech.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I will say as additional thing that I found myself, I was so surprised to found loving was going in. I thought hot air, well cool J's in a Shark movie. By the end of it, I was like, Preacher is the best character.
Speaker 3: And absolutely he's the best part.
Speaker 2: So I speaking of Preacher, would a shark go out of its way to eat just a small little bird?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that not like a tiny little jelly bean for a shark.
Speaker 5: So sharks are generally opportunistic by nature, which means if they see something that's viable to eat, they will probably try to eat it. So I used to work in a cage diving operation in South Africa, and people who work there have absolutely seen great white sharks eat sea birds. So I think it's totally plausible that an incredibly smart maker would eat a parrot.
Speaker 1: Tell us about your time out there, I want to hear more.
Speaker 5: Well, it was a really yeah, it was a fascinating couple of summers. I got to watch how the white sharks engage around the baits on the boats, and it was some of the most incredible memories. I could see that they are quite clever and social creatures in that they aren't there to essentially look at you and take a bite. They're curious by you in the cage and they will sort of maybe have a look and then they'll swim by. They're quite chill. But perhaps even more so is that the first time I went there was when a great white shark was actually killed by two killaway I was out there, so I got to watch a dissection of a dead white shark after these two killawas had killed it and taken its liver.
Speaker 1: What they took its liver?
Speaker 5: Mm hmm. And yet it was so interestingly how it was almost a surgical removal. These well, these Orcas are really smart. I would not mess with August. I've never seen the movie Orca, but I think I would take the Geneslie modified maker as any day over August.
Speaker 3: Orca is a sad film.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's good, but it's yeah, it's not a big action film. It's it's quite melancholy at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it starts sting. You didn't see that. You saw the aftermath, and they just like what did they just hit it out of nowhere? Like how do they? How do they get it? I want to know more about this.
Speaker 5: So it's generally for that Orcus will gang up on a shark. One will sort of hit it to flip it upside down, and the other will remove its liver. What's quite interesting, though, is that of these two individuals, they're called Port and Starboards due to their flipping dorsal fins. But one of my colleagues, Esther Jacob's, actually witnessed one of them killing a small white shark by himself. So what we learned is that, oh no, orcas generally will team up and to take out a white shark. They are totally capable of taking one out by themselves. And what's become so interesting about this is that we saw the white sharks begin to disappear from South Africa and this time, and it's now recently come out that the killer whales, yes, were killing white sharks there. But given that there is a growing sense of overfishing going around South Africa, that were killing say twenty white sharks a year, they were probably slowly removing the white shop population in the background. And these killer whales, oh no, they absolutely contributed. They were essentially a big convenient distraction for us, actually removing the white sharks in South Africa.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that makes sense. I mean, that's gonna make a lot more press a killer whale killing a great white as opposed to fishers fishermen wiping out sharks like I did. When I was working on my master's I did a study about like the amount of articles about shark attacks compared to the number of articles about the millions of sharks are being fin the year, and the number is astronomical and astronomically in favor of the shark attacks. Like there's really not much press about there about the shark finning, So it's I guess it would make sense that you would use that while fishing. Oh no, it's orcs or organs are crazy out here. They're just wiping them out, like just as opposed to the fishing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's interesting because orcas killing one sharks absolutely makes for a grander headline. I say that as someone who has written journalistic article is about these guys. So it is super interesting that that we're sort of finally starting to see what the data is actually telling us. Even though the orcas are definitely playing a part, they are ultimately a fragment of nature and them killing one sharks just part of the natural world. But we can't really control what they do, but we can control what we do to the sharks, and I think that's ultimately the more of the film too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Random question. You're going on a shark adventure and there's genetically modified sharks and you need to pick one person to survive. Are you taking Statham from the Meg or are you're taking Carter Blake from Deep Blue C Which one you're picking?
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question. Uh. I think I would take Carter Blake. And the reason of that is, oh, no, Jason Satan is green. He'll punch some sharks out the way for me. Uh. Generally, let's say we go to the bottom of the ocean and he tries to do that thing where he exhales at the bottom of the trench. In reality he is dead instantly, whereas I'm much more trusting of Carter Blake Street smarts.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a great answer.
Speaker 3: We I hope no one's tried that. No one's watched The Lake too and thought genius.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I saw that the movie and then just crushed by that. Yeah Carter he uh yeah, there are aquatic muffin. That's what the names call him, so we like, we like calling him that. But all right, so you would take.
Speaker 5: It's a good name. So I I only knew Thomas Jane from that show The Expanse before I watched Deep Blue C because he's one of the main dudes in that so like, Oh, it's nice to see Miller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Expanse rules. I love that show so much. I should do this episode in a belter accent. What do you think you think I could do it?
Speaker 5: I don't think I could do accent.
Speaker 1: No, not a hit Strath Aaron does a good one, I'll tell you. But yeah, he does a lot of hat work in that one, Thomas Jane, He's a lot of He does a lot of hat work in the Expanse, which I appreciate. I just want to put that out there. Jay, you don't really see TJ in many hats. You see Jason Statham in a lot of hats, but not Carter Blake. Yeah, Statham's a hat guy.
Speaker 3: It has him wearing a hat. Yeah. I'm just I'm just running through every time Jane through I can think of and I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, I think you're right. He's pretty I think he's got one in the mist. He's in the mist.
Speaker 1: I think nineteen twenty two. He's got a cap on maybe, but I'm not sure. That's a new mystery for us. Today we figured out how many doors are opened in Deep Blue Sea. I figured out how far the Yeah, I figured out how far the sharks have traveled. Jay figured out how deep blue and how much a time at sea it is. So now we've got to figure out the TJ hat how.
Speaker 3: Many catteries the sharks over the course of the film? Yeah, which this a a lot. Weighed so many.
Speaker 1: But it's four thousand pounds, right, Jay, So it's four thousand pounds. It didn't eat scars Guard, it didn't eat the hell his arm and the cigarette.
Speaker 3: I counted the calories of the cigarette.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming it ate most of Scott's. It ate half of Russell Janice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight, most of Janneys. It's gonna eat all of Susan.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is a shark? Does the shark get that much room?
Speaker 5: Famous can? Actually, they tend to eat an abundance of calories if there's a chance they're not gonna eat for a long time, And they can do this to sort of fuel long distance migrations. It's like a great white shark could eat an entire seal or two, and then it can swim across an ocean not eat again for a few weeks. So I reckon these Jersey modified macros will have no problem eating. How made that was four or five humans and then swimming off to the deeper sea.
Speaker 2: We're not eating that many humans impede its jumping ability because we've we've long contested why don't the sharks just jump out of the quad.
Speaker 1: They could.
Speaker 2: We know that makos can jump pretty high, But if a mako has just eaten five people, would it be able to jump over a fence?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 5: I think that's that's the next stage of Susan's research and making them smarter.
Speaker 3: Well, she's not gonna get there. I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: How are they gonna how are they digesting the skull?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But like so many shark movies, heads get bitten off and then the sharks just like have them in their mouths, like what Like that just doesn't seem like I feel like sharks know it like a seal. They could probably have some good food on that, Like I've never understood, like I'm gonna eat this dude's head and so many shark movies heads get decapitated, but like, I don't think there's much meat on that.
Speaker 2: There's a shark in this film with a number plate inside it. Yeah, it's not always thinking, it's not always eating food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tiger shark with the Jaws license plate. What is the digestive functions of a shark? I'm sorry, I just want to know. I just I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: So again, that's going to vary, depaying on the species. We does so many sharks bes and we don't know what that digestion is like. But of the sharks when we have studied that, say, the like a shark, for example, they tend to be pretty slow.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's such a I've asked you so many vague questions, but we've never had like a full on shark expert on our show. So I feel like, uh, I wait, okay, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Like the opening scene, they spill red wine in the water and the shark shows up. The shark obviously knows that's not blood because they have the great sense of smell. But would the shark be drawn to red wine? Would that happens on the variety.
Speaker 1: Of the cab like.
Speaker 5: If anybody's test I don't know if anybody's tested that it's a red wine. I don't think you'd get funding for it, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Sure, listen, pitch next next Shark week. I want you to have an I want to see you on I want to see you in Shark Week one time, doing like the red wine wine tastings for sharks to see if they get them, and then they'll just be an entire episode during Shark Week.
Speaker 5: What specific that would not be the dumbest we have ever done.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pour this pinot in the water and we're gonna see what happens, like like a bougie I don't know, nurse shark shows up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna some different different wines for different sharks. It's like Jurassic Park three with the different urines according different dinosaurs.
Speaker 3: Anyway, uh waited.
Speaker 2: And when Alan Grant finds the kid in Jurassic Park three and he's like, he uses the last of his t rex urine. Uh and and it like makes all the small ones disappear, but it calls one really big one with a thin it calls the spine the.
Speaker 3: Saul And yeah, I've seen this too many.
Speaker 4: Times or not enough?
Speaker 2: Who knows, the only other question I had about sharks was do they have a Are they vengeful?
Speaker 3: I don't know how you arks capable of revenge?
Speaker 1: Are they are they petty? Are they like that s b. I'm gonna go get.
Speaker 2: Them because the previous chapter, the previous chapter, the shark attacked attacked Preacher, And I had two schools of thought. What it's because he's wearing white and they're attracted to bright colors as opposed to Carter and Susan wearing black. And the other one was because they know that Preacher killed one of the other sharks and it's for revenge. That was That was my two schools of thought.
Speaker 5: So generally sharks don't there's not a lot of thought going on those heads. It's swim, swim and blood blooh and nom nom. But since we're talking about genetically modified super smart sharks, Yeah, why can't they have a grudge? They Preacher killed one killed one of their guys. And let's ask me if Jaws Force taught us anything, is that at least one fictional shark absolutely olds a grudge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, holds it across the whole ocean.
Speaker 1: It has a it's like a link. It's grudges. So it's like it's like the grudge.
Speaker 3: It's like the grudge.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like I don't know, it's like a curse. And then it's attached to that family. I feel like it's a bounty hunter shark though, because the first shark was killed, there's another shark that might be there's a third. Are they relatives? And that they hire this shark from the fourth and the four? Who is it? Is it a cousin? Is it a is it a The logic blows my mind that this shark wants revenge, but it's three other great whites removed, so they the sharks in the ocean must be like pissed at this family. That's my only way I can think about this shark. I know it was like a voodoo curse in the book, in the original script, but they lost that for the movie. So then it's like, I like that.
Speaker 2: Then it's like the Monscuse and capitals. It's the Chark family versus a human family. That's I like that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah it is. We need a.
Speaker 2: Family crossing romance between a shock and the human to bring these two clans together, Jay right, It.
Speaker 1: Like the Nick Finn's I don't know, Yeah, that's the logic of that movie. It's I don't know. I like to think that maybe they hired someone to go kill the family. The Shark family did because there's what makes sense to you? Who do you think that shark is and why does it want to kill that family?
Speaker 5: Well, I've always chosen aough, fun interpretation that it's actually just a what you call it a shock that can consistently resurrect itself. It's a magic shock that's just come back to life every movie and is just really gone out of as water family after being killed. That makes about as much sense as a shock family.
Speaker 1: So at the end of Jaws it pulls a terminator too and just kind of goes like comes back together. And then in Jaws three two it burns itself and blows up, and then it reforms. It's like, I'm gonna wait a little bit, like I got bad luck against this guy, and then it swims to Florida and attacks them when they're older, and then it dies again and it explodes, and then it comes back later in the.
Speaker 5: Third incarnating shock at least would explain why they get bigger in every movie.
Speaker 1: I like this plot.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it at all.
Speaker 1: Because that's a would there ever be that many so off the coast in amity? Were there ever? One? Are the odds of two gigantic sharks? Of that size. I know that I read the book about I read the book about how you know what it was based on about how the sharks slam up the rivers on the East coast of America and like attacks some people and went pretty far up. It's like I read the like it was like a rogue great white that got separated and attacked people on the shore, and that kind of led to like a shark ferver and that kind of led the jaws eventually. But what are the odds of too get that many sharks attacking that coast that big?
Speaker 5: So they would be astronomically slim and generally are the biggest. Great white sharks are going to be extremely rare because that obviously involves them living for a very long time to their maximum possible size, and most sharks will have obviously died before reaching that maxism age. Now, in terms of like role sharks, that's not really something that's considered as scientific consensus anymore. That it wasn't the seventies when shars came out, But it's not really something that's given much scientific force. That being said, there has been scientific research suggesting that there are what I believe has been called problem INDI videos, and that is individual sharks that they believe our responsor for biting multiple people. And I believe this has been identified in tiger sharks, and I think both sharks.
Speaker 3: It's a few bad apples.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I mean it makes sense. Like any there's always the jerk, and I guess those are the ones that go out there and every family has a pain in the butt. So it was like, you know, this is just Rick the tiger shark. That's just a real nemesis. Yeah. Uh, any other any other thing you want to talk about in this chapter, j do we miss anything?
Speaker 3: I mean I mentioned the obstacle. Course, I really like.
Speaker 2: Cartridge Let's Go, and and just the speed at which he hops over that the obstacle when just runs off and then she very delicately is going down the ladder step by step and he's reached the other side of it before she's reached the bottom of her perfect which I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she's very delicate in that scene. He's three quarters away across the aquatica, but she's saw on the ladder.
Speaker 2: And in when Stellham was attacked earlier in the film and they were in the elevator, and Susan has made it very clear she's not this kind of doctor. She has now moved past that she is tending to preach her she's dressing his wounds. She is accepted that in this scenario, she's the best they've got. So she's not complaining anymore. She's on board, she's part of the team. Just before she dies.
Speaker 1: That's why I like Susan. She We've said this many times, but she's not a secondary antagonist. She rolls with everyone as soon as everything starts going bad. I like that. Should they have saved the research in this without a better, better.
Speaker 5: Ending, I don't know about that. I think she would have probably faced some sort of disciplinary action for her ethical preachers. What if she had spoil Let's Tour Find the movie?
Speaker 2: Would they have been able to use the research legally if it had been obtained unethically.
Speaker 5: So, if it's been attained on ethically, you're probably gonna get into quite a lot bother from your institutions for that, and they probably would have stopped that research from being published. But in the event that they written, they wrote it up and submitted it to a Peer of views journal. Peer of Viewers would have probably breached that problem as well, and they would have had to write a statement about it in that paper. So it be a lot complicated process if it ever stood light a day, So chances are probably not.
Speaker 3: Even though curing outside this potentially, Yeah.
Speaker 1: When Carter and Preacher get back to the mainland, all the sharks are blown up. There's no there's no footage, it's just their word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the sharks at the cameras.
Speaker 1: Is anybody gonna believe that? Is anybody like when they speak to leading you know, experts in the field, Are they gonna be Is everyone just gonna think they're crazy?
Speaker 5: Uh? That would be my Yes, I'm not sure that's a scientific shark based question, but if you had to ask my thoughts in the matter, Yeah, I think they everyon would think they're insane. And I don't think Kater's alleged criminal background on the film would give him much help either.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you've had this interesting yeah, pretty from the guests, so maybe he's not regarded as a.
Speaker 3: Believable witness either. Ninety nine.
Speaker 1: So they're just they're gonna have a lot of law issues. They're probably gonna be discredited. There's all these dead people, they're the last two people alive, and then they're like, yeah that smarts are sharks are made super smart? And then they took out the cameras. They're gonna have some law issues after this.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeah, most likely.
Speaker 2: So, Jack, did you have any any other thoughts from the whole film from real first experien watching the whole film?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: I think to summarize that, I think I would just say that I had a lot of fun watching this big grin from ear to ear, particularly in the second half. And I want to give a Specs shirt to how Preacher is the best and I'm glad he made it.
Speaker 3: Yes? Hell yeah. So where does it sit in your in your top four shark films? If anywhere?
Speaker 5: Okay, so shall I go from one to four?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 5: Because as I go down this list, you're going to get very different kinds of shark film, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So instead of going for films where sharks appears or saying like a Finding Nemo, I decide I will go outright with films where sharks are the main focus and the shark is the reason you're watching it. So at number one, probably to the surprise of No. One, it's Jaws, Jaws is just an absolute classic and it's my all time favorite film, so it was always going to be number one. At number two, I have actually got Deep Blue c and a lot of the reason for that is one, it's a lot of fun, and two, as we were talking about early in the podcast, I found myself very taken by the premise that the sharks, well there isn't everyone are not necessarily the villains, and it's ultimately the questionable, ethically dubious science behind them that has caused this. And I thought that was a very fascinating, interesting topic that I suspect not a lot of people jumped on.
Speaker 1: No, I love it.
Speaker 5: So coming down number three will be the shark film everybody asked me about, and that is the meg and the reason for that being that it's silly fun, it's nonsense. It knows it's nonsense, and I'm just here for it perfect ye. And then finally number four, I'm going for a movie that is absent terrible. It is a movie called Shark Attack Free Megalton. It's truly truly awful, but it's one of the funniest films I've ever watched, and I never have a bad time watching it is, I love it.
Speaker 2: Like No one had picked Shark Attack three megal on their top four until Helen O'Hara was our guest four chapters ago, and since then three out of the four guests have picked on.
Speaker 3: Helen's uh.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I watched it recently. We killed it recently on the show. And yes, it's a lot of fun. It's one of the better city, big stupid shark films.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Excellent And yeah, six people have picked the meg and lots of people have picked people see and Jules, So that's fine. Yeah, you're you're you're in good company with your picks.
Speaker 1: Good loss, excellent, excellent and Attack three has jet skis been swallowed whole in one of the best lines in the history of cinema.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's what's not a lot about it? Every time I watch it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just silly great. So what would you say is your next biggest shark movie? Blind spot? What's what's next to your list to cross off? Now?
Speaker 5: Deeplys out, Well, you mentioned Shark Knight three D. Of anything you've described about that, I probably do have to watch that, But I guess if you want to take the easy and so I guess it's any sequel to deeply C.
Speaker 3: Two and three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two is fun, three is good. It's how we describe them, So take from that what you will.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: So thank you very much for joining us, Jack, Do you have anything that you want to plug? Where can the listeners find you?
Speaker 5: Oh? Thank you very much having me, And if anybody listening wants to follow me, you can find me on Instagram and blue Sky at couper pay Leo, or you can visit my website at ww dot dotor jackiet acooper dot com if you want to hire me for any sort of shark based talk or anything like that, or just have me on your podcast.
Speaker 2: Awesome, excellent, and I'm sure we will again because we will have more shark questions when we cover different shark films, don't you worry. Yeah, we'll have well we're talking bull sharks and baby sharks for deep.
Speaker 3: C two at some point, so we'll have to have you back.
Speaker 1: For that incredibly broad questions that you possibly you can't possibly answer.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait until deep C three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wait for some of the questions at DEPC three. Can sharks recognizer situation? A great at marketing plugs?
Speaker 3: We're good listeners.
Speaker 2: You can follow this podcast or over social media at deep Blue Sleep. I don't email us deeply sypod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Next week. I'm pretty sure next week.
Speaker 2: This Wednesday is on the first of April, so we'll definitely be talking about Deep bluecy in some capacity. So come out next week for hear us talk about Deep bluecy next week. But as for this week, thank you once again to a wonderful guest, Jack Cooper. I have been Jake Lewis and Mark Halfmeyer, and we'll deep blue see you next week.