Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of December sixteenth, we're continuing with Lost season one, episode twenty four and twenty five Exodus Part two. Now, we discovered that what was Exodus Part two in the United States in first run was Exodus Parts two and three in other parts of the world and also now and maybe on DVD and on streaming. So if you have only watched part two and Netflix says there's a part three, go watch that before you listen to it, because we watched the whole thing. Yes, we watched. We watched what was originally you know, originalists, what was originally Part two, what ABC showed as Part two in a two hour season finale. Easy, I remember it. And when Catherine texted me and said, it says there's a part three. Do I need the Part three? I said, how did the part you watch ended? And she told me and I said, nope, not it. Watch the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Get there.
Speaker 1: If it didn't end with Jack and Locke looking down, down, down, down down into the hatch, it ain't the end of the season. So we watched that whole thing and much much drama, much excite, meant much action, all sorts of things going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and before.
Speaker 1: We get into the serious stuff of this episode, I just want to make sure we give a shout out to actor Daniel Roebuck, who in a few, just a few episodes, made ours a guy you don't exactly hate, but you're not upset that he blows himself up. Yeah, And he had to handle a lot of dialogue there at the end that I think was the writer department at Lost snapping back at people on the internet. Ah, who were saying, what about all these other people? Why don't we ever hear from these other people? So we'll hear from in the mouth. Put those words in the mouth of character and a character and then blew him up.
Speaker 2: I immediately killed him right off.
Speaker 1: Yep, So would you? I mean I knew it was coming. Did you just like jump out of your skin when that happened?
Speaker 2: I did jump, Yes, I mean I figured he had it coming for sure, but I didn't know exactly when.
Speaker 1: It was just so beautifully random in the middle of us. He's talking and talking and dogging a double.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he's just a series of chunks that are strewn off.
Speaker 1: He'll have a little bit of arst on them. Yes, Yes, so so excellent work by that guy, because he took he took a small part and made it just perfect.
Speaker 2: Yes. And like you said about you know, the writers clapping back. I mean, his whole his whole speech to Hurley was about how like no one likes, no one will let him sit with them at lunch, like he's just so real, you know whiner.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yes, that was delightful, a delightful little bit of comic relief. It's odd to say comic relief when the guy ends up blowing himself up with dynamite, But still, I don't think we can call that comic relief.
Speaker 2: So and now following that, so it's the remaining dynamite team is Jack, Locke, Kate and Hurley, And then they have this debate about who's going to carry these sticks of dynamite because obviously it's very, very dangerous to do so.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing that could just blow you up instantly.
Speaker 2: Yet yeah, and of course we know they're all going to be fine because they are principal characters.
Speaker 1: But I thought, like Daniel Roebook, they have contract.
Speaker 2: I thought, why doesn't Hurley carry them? Like he knows he's indestructible, right, that's true, Like he should have. I don't. I'm sure Jack wouldn't have let him, but you know, he could easily have carried them all and he knew he would be fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but he would have to explain that. And and just like Locke is having to explain, Oh, by the way, you know, when I got here or when I got on the plane, I couldn't walk. You remember seeing me. Nobody's gonna believe that either. No, but I did think that the bit where they drew straws and Kate drew a straw so she had to carry the dynamite, and she thought she was carrying the dynamite until she realized that Jack took the dynamite and let her think she had it. And that was such a dad thing. It's like you tell the kid, oh, sure you can do this super dangerous thing, and then you do everything you can to make sure it is not at all dangerous.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then he said when she was complaining about it, whining about it, really and honey, he took the thing that could blow her, get over yourself. But when she's complaining about it, Jack says, exasperatedly, everybody wants me to be the leader until I make a decision they don't like. Honey, let me give you a hug.
Speaker 2: Yep, been there.
Speaker 1: Man. He's starting to be over it, I think a little bit. But he's still going to pull Lock out of the the hole that the monster is sucking him down. At some point, you can just let these people go, you know. Yeah, he wants to be let go. He's a problem for you.
Speaker 2: And like I said, he's a principle. We know he's not gonna die, right, I mean, although Boone Boone.
Speaker 1: Died, that's right, Yes, poor Boone in Sommer Alder needs to talk to his agents. What the heck I.
Speaker 2: Mean, we did see Boone in these in this episode, that's right.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was flashback and knows this. It was at the end when they were showing everybody getting on the plane and he handed handed Shannon her Inhaler with a very smug look on his face. Right, but uh, you know, he could have just let Log go. Maybe Locke's right and the island just wanted to test him and everything would be a okay. Or maybe that guy would be out of your hair. Yeah, yeah, that guy who got Boon killed could be out of your hair.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: But Jack has to save everybody. We've established this, right, right, buddy, Yeah, I know. Yeah, it's a dad. You know, dad has to take care of everybody, even the kid who's being a brat. Dad has to take care of him, even the one you wish you could leave at the gas station and just drive on the rest of the trip. You gotta go back and get him.
Speaker 2: Yep, in that problem child, Yep, yep, yep. Yep. So well, so a lot happened. We did get the raft. Uh, the raft did encounter another boat, but it did indeed, turns out it wasn't a boat that they really wanted to.
Speaker 1: No, No, Michael was right. They shouldn't have sent up the flare, although then they would be on the open sea forever and just die slowly. So right, but yeah, you know what out when the others whispered in the jungle to Rousseau that they were coming for the boy, it didn't mean Aaron.
Speaker 2: They didn't mean the baby.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys, there's another boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not that they could have warned the rafters if they had figured it out, but you know, maybe could have thought there. Yeah. Yeah, so so this there's no way they could defend against that attack. No, even Sawyer with his loan gun.
Speaker 2: So this season ends with Michael bobbing in the water screaming for Walt, Yes, son war.
Speaker 1: This becomes a recurring, uh recurring joke about loss right.
Speaker 2: Sawyer and Jin are also in the water, I think, because the raft has basically been blown up, like you first, and Walt is on a boat speeding away from them.
Speaker 1: Since with nefarious looking characters, yes, so so that's what happens when you launched a raft. Yeah, did we mention the bat raft? Seemed like kind of a bad idea. But I was thinking when when Jinn and Michael were having that warm moment about the watch, yeah, like this stuff's all gonna be in the water and like, find me.
Speaker 2: Guys up right? Is that a water pi? Right time piece?
Speaker 1: But parenting wise, I noticed that we had two parents in this show who were very ambivalent about being parents. Claire wanted to put her baby up for adoption. Michael was talking to his mom, can you please take this kid? And not you know, I don't want to have to deal with this, right, And both their kids got taken away, and they were very upset about it. As it turned out, wait a minute, stop for a minute. Neither of you wanted to deal with your kid, right, Maybe there's a plus. Well, at least out.
Speaker 2: Claire did get her baby back, and she did get her.
Speaker 1: Baby back, and uh, you know, the camera just lovingly grazes by the image of a Madonna statuette Charlie's feet. Yeah, although you know what if you're in the jungle with a cut on your head and somebody pours gunpower on lights and on fire. I think maybe you're entitled to fix.
Speaker 2: A little dose of heroine.
Speaker 1: I think you've earned that, bad boy. Oh gosh, oh gosh, which which parenting wise reminds me of, you know, improvised parenting first aid. Yeah, that you have to What do I have in my purse that I can put on this cut? Is this tis shoe clean? Well, you're all spit on it clean enough. I used to keep I think I've mentioned here before. I used to keep alcohol swabs in my per because my son was constantly tearing pieces of skin off his fingers and I would have to, you know, swab it and bandate it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I never did have to pour gunpowder on it and light it up with a lighter, but you know, maybe he would have stopped doing it. Yeah. Here, I'm trying something new today, Honey, Let's see how this goes. You gotta match? Oh boy, yikes, I mean he did ask, sayid, what did y'all do on the battlefield?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So that's what you get, buddy.
Speaker 2: Sci says, this is gonna hurt, Like you think.
Speaker 1: Maybe that wasn't really something they did in the battlefield, Sai. It's just really tired of Charlie. Yeah, right, like this bleep on fire, He'll leave me alone.
Speaker 2: And also now I believe the makeup department is going to have to live with that for the rest of the Oh yes, he's the rest of the of Charlie's existence.
Speaker 1: Island is weird, and people heal very quickly.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: If you yeah, yeah, yeah, or you went to the spaw and they had some magical healing gel.
Speaker 2: Right that removes gunpowder that's been like baked into your skin. Oh my, all right, so what else we had? I mean, I think this is the first time you kind of get an actual glimpse of the smoke Monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much more of one that we had before.
Speaker 2: Right, it's creepy, Yeah, I mean, and I knew that was like a lost thing like the Polar Bearer, ight, like, okay, there it is. There, it is smoke Monster, got it? Yes?
Speaker 1: And uh, just as they are going to blow the lid off the hatch, what does her le see on it but the numbers? And you know, he freaks out. But of course nobody's paying any attention to him, right anyway, But certainly, as with everything else, if you had said, hey, these numbers are cursed. How about we not blow this up? They would have blown it up anyways. Yes, but holy cow, he's already mentioned was he said something about twenty three and Kate recognized it or something? Yeah, he was reciting the numbers as he was walking for something, and she reck. It's like and Locke thinks that they've all been called to this island for a reason. Yes, what reason is that numbers are calling them in? Let's see, you have a guy took twenty three thousand dollars, so you are twenty three with her exactly. But okay, I don't know, right, it's weird, But what are the odds that those exact numbers would be on the hatch?
Speaker 2: What are the odds?
Speaker 1: What are the odds? Yeah, yeah, that's what the writers should have been asking themselves. All these coincidences were putting in here. We are gonna have to make sense of them. I think this was at the point at which they were just gleefully throwing things at the wall before they realized, oh man, now we have to connect all these dots and clean off this wall and act like we knew what we were doing all along.
Speaker 2: Much like I don't, let's tie that back to parenting, right, and you act like we know what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Sure, just you know, doing whatever game to my mind at the time, and then I realized, oh my gosh, I have to make a sense of this. Okay, yeah, I meant to do that, and uh, here's why.
Speaker 2: Right, And you know we've talked about how like once you do something once, yes, your kids are going to remember it and you're going to have to they're going to call you out if you don't. Yeah, if you don't follow through.
Speaker 1: And they did, Oh my did they anyway? God bless them. They're just they're just really going for it. Engraved on the hatch? Are the numbers?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is this the only hatch? Do they all have them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Don't ask we have a PARENTINGI was a sawyer making a full throated argument in favor of corporal punishment banking your kid.
Speaker 2: Yep, and that that age old argument I turned out fine, which.
Speaker 1: Well no, because Michael said, did your did your father spank you? And he said he never got a chance to. He shot himself, right, just like a good way to shut down an argument, man, Yeah, will lokay? Then right?
Speaker 2: Sorry, question mark?
Speaker 1: But never mind, it doesn't matter because Wald gets kidnapped.
Speaker 2: In you know, well it's not in the position.
Speaker 1: Very thereafter y and Michael says, thank goodness, I don't know what to do with that kid. Hey, let's head back to the island.
Speaker 2: And I guess they're gonna be swimming.
Speaker 1: They might be I don't know, just like drifting on pieces of pie and hitting different areas of the island then where they were before Big Island. Okay, possible. They might wash up on a beach. It's not their beach, and what could they find there? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 1: We will. We will not have to wait all summer.
Speaker 2: Hell, I know we are lucky that way.
Speaker 1: That's good, Yes they did. We should mention that extra hot. Great had an episode where people were doing thought experiments on different shows and one person was assigned to pick his ten favorite lost characters, pick his favorite lost character, and do it in song. And he did like nine very short snippets and then a full song about Locke that used the man of faith man of science dichotomy that I thought started next season, but it was mentioned in this episode that Locke's a man of faith, right jacksonman of science? That will be beaten to death for the next anyway, with song in the show notes, because it is hilarious.
Speaker 2: It is so good, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: And the little ones, the little snippets before it were funny too. Yeah, and they were spoilery for this episode. But since we've watched it now it's safe, you know, don't go blowing up arts. And I think there was one that happened.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was.
Speaker 1: So very funny. Yes, the art that came springing out of this show still springing out of this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh my, So we got a lot about fate some things. Their son thinks they're being punished by fate. Somebody else doesn't believe in destiny. I think walk thinks they've all been chosen for us, you know, not just not just your garden variety plane crash.
Speaker 2: No, but.
Speaker 1: You know, then again, it's possible this is all just a massive series of coincidences. They'll all die there eventually, and that'll be the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Not a spoiler, but maybe a spoiler, who knows, could be anyway, So next week we will continue with season two, episode one of Lost, which is indeed called Man of science man of faith. So do we think that Jack and Locke will keep arguing based on their particular world views? Do we think that Locke will be the Locke problem? Yes, we do indeed, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking in which people are also bobbing in the water. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Sprinker, Apple podcas Casts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.