Speaker 1: Huh, I think that I'd sum up our sports weekend as as like, so remember on the last show, it may have been after we wrapped Landon whenever I said, what's more likely Kansas loses or the Chiefs lose? And at no point in that dialogue did any of us mention the fact that both could happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, and uh, that is a bit bit naive, a bit curb your enthusiasm of us, if you will, to believe that that was incapable of happening.
Speaker 1: But they brought this back at least I don't know if you heard it. It was loud. I heard it was hard to miss you and I talked about going out there for that game. Glad we didn't, but I.
Speaker 2: Talked about going out there. You sent one text in the chat was like you interested in going Landing and I was like, maybe how much of the prices SpongeBob. Five minutes later when I searched the prices and saw they were like one hundred and forty dollars and made it quickly Nope, and we did not. But I am very glad we did not waste like six hours of our lives to watch that in person.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I thought tickets may be feasible is because I looked up that case. They had five home games left and you could buy one ticket to each game for like one hundred and fifty total dollars. I did not know that one hundred and ten, one hundred and twenty of it was this one game which they they did their job, They found the correct game to hike the price up to because just a disaster of a performance in Manhattan three years in a row. Did you even have a beard the last time Kansas went out there?
Speaker 2: Yes, I still did, which is how long I've had it. I've had it six years now, six years of a beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can say all you want about that Marcus Garrett Lousey team, that team won would ease out there.
Speaker 2: But they still sucked and I will still say what I want about them.
Speaker 1: Sad, sad losses to be had this weekend, and we also the third loss that we took this weekend is our co host Cam isn't here. He's in Michigan doing job, interview work. He's doing important stuff while the two of us kissing a girl probably rightly, yeah, which I did tell him. That is you can have fun doing that. But sir, have you had the level of fun we're gonna have when we recap Kansas beating Colorado by seven points at Allen Fieldhouse here in a couple days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd much rather do that than kiss a girl. You have that on record, That's true.
Speaker 1: The biggest win that I had, the biggest win that I had this weekend was convincing my eighty one year old grandma that we don't need to go to the Kansas Colorado game in a snowstorm tomorrow night. It's like, Grandma, this would be a really good one to see, Like, if anybody else would like to go for the first time, we don't need to go watch them beat Colorado by eleven points on a snowy Tuesday night at Allen Field House. And she was like, yeah, you're probably right. Okay, I'll give these tickets to some people I work with. And that was the best part of my sports weekend by a lot. One that began with Kansas State making threes and one that ended with Patrick Mahomes getting sacked a thousand times. And here we are to talk about everything that happened, mainly with the Jayhawks. This is inside the paint.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryan Landreth, I'm Landing Fields.
Speaker 1: Has there been a show without Cam? Yeah, we've had a couple. I guess not very many of them, though should be a little more.
Speaker 2: He's gotten a very high attendance rate early.
Speaker 1: We all as as you're right, I was gonna say, that's that's kind of like whenever, you know, whenever the Chiefs get off to a bad start in most of their games. It's kind of like whenever another team takes a three to nothing lead and they flex a little bit like, yeah, that a lot of teams do that. But we'll see, Cam, We'll see how you're still kicking it in six years, whenever you've completely stopped caring, not saying. I've noticed other people on similar trajectories on this show that care less and less about the basketball as the season go as their years go by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boy, Nick really fell off by the end.
Speaker 1: And that's what you're talking about, right, All right, let's talk about this stupid ass game, and then I'm gonna just get it over with. It was his seven losses, and it's it's the super Bowl weekend and it's already seven Okay, fine, Kansas State eighty one number sixteen Kansas seventy. Credit to God, I gotta find out who it was. Someone on Twitter whenever it was halftime and things were not going well, somebody said, let me see that I just got back from the future. This is what at Rock Chalk Blog says. The Jayhawks lose eighty two to seventy. They're sixteen and seven. We're all gonna kill ourselves. And Bill self used to care, but now he lives in a mansion, so he doesn't and that wound up being really really closed.
Speaker 2: If you will.
Speaker 1: Another loss in Manhattan, they're they're just just tell me what happened. I gotta get my water bottle. It's in the kitchen. You tell me what happened, and like, I'll pretend that it's news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will. After a competitive back and forth first ten minutes, Case State took a lead they would never give up. Kansas got it down to six inside the last ten seconds of the first half, only for David and Gasan, who torched Kansas all day, so this was not out of character to hit a step back buzzer beating two to go into the break. The Jayhawks would never trail by less than five the rest of the way, and even that was only in the first thirty seconds. The second half, their trails by as much as fifteen in a game that was never really a game for the majority of that second half as KSE State mostly cruises to their third straight win.
Speaker 1: In Bramlage case, State's the hottest team in the country right now. Like they they very well, playing well, they may play themselves back in new consideration. They have to keep winning and I think their biggest test is Arizona coming up on Tuesday night, because boy, that was a big performance against Kansas. We'll see about a letdown, right If they them out focused and take down Arizona home, then I think you really do have to start talking about them as at large team. But what the box score shows is that Kansas went on the road as a five point favorite and lost to a team with a five hundred record, And now you're at seven and five in conference play and things are just I mean, the league race has been over since since Hunter Dickinson failed to corral an inbounds pass that Zekemeo threw in the first overtime against Houston. That's when that dream died. They're still probably going to finish in the top four because the schedule breaks their way mathematically, it's probably more likely than not. But man, I see that game. Here's my thoughts on this one. That's the sort of game that when any other Kansas team loses like that, we go, okay, they dropped the turd. They're allowed to do that. You look down at their record. They're ten and two at this point. That's where losing the Baylor in Houston games and improbable fashion burned you. Because if you had won those two games and then you're going into this one, what would that be Instead of seven and four, you're nine and two, and you'll lose the Case State and you say, Okay, we played we shot the ball pretty well, and they just played really great twenty games. You're gonna have some stinkers when the other team just plays pretty well. Case State is a very talented roster. But you can't do that when you're seven and five because they dug themselves such a hole in the record department by losing improbably to Houston and West Virginia and Baylor. These are the games you kind of have to win. They are difficult road games in the conference against an environment that is riled up to beat you. But if you want to make your way onto that two or three seed line and be the top ten team that everybody thought they would be, you have to win more of these coin flips than you did in the first half. And they looked like the same team we've seen the last two years, uncompetitive in the second half in a road loss.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, I definitely agree, and I think to your point, in a lot of previous Kansas years, this is very much a game, especially against Case State, where even if they lose, the exact same game for the most part. Yeah, I think you're exactly right, Ryan, that you would go, Hey, they lose these games. Sometimes you take a weird loss, sometimes it doesn't look good. Sometimes it looks really bad and you lose. But when that's essentially the fifth time that's happened in a given season, there's a lot more questions and a lot more problems. You feel a lot worse about it than you do otherwise. Yeah, obviously some flukiness in there. The West Virginia game, you played a really bad first half, but there's still a lot that happened in the second half where Kansas arguably still very much could have won that game. Same with the Houston game. Obviously, Baylor, you laid by twenty. Iowa state you're in that game for the majority of it until the end. A lot has to go wrong to lose these games. But I do think that is a problem with this Kansas team is that, frankly, they are prone to a lot of bad things happening in a game, and they are prone to execution problems on both ends at times that put you in situations like this where you are going to be a little more prone to lose games in multiple different fashions with the way Kansas plays, And again I am very much of the opinion they're also a very high ceiling and the last two games have really shown that. I always state they looked great. This game, they looked really not great, And I think that's just who this team is.
Speaker 1: And I want to make a comparison that I alluded to in the notes here. I was thinking about this after the loss. I think this team has a very similar trajectory with the twenty twenty twenty twenty one team, which is by some measurements, the worst Kansas team of any of bill selves twenty three years here. But I think that you look at that team. Let me get there. Let me get their page up here so I can make sure I get the stats correctly. That was a team that began in the top six in the preseason pulls. They had a high ceiling. They were projected to at least be right there with the eventual national champion Baylor team to win the league. They started off well enough. That team started ten to two, just like this year's team started what nine and two entering conference play. January was really rough for that twenty two one team. They went from not They went from ten to two to twelve and seven. So there's a stretch in there wherever they went two and five in January and everybody said, Okay, this is the worst Kansas team. They fell out of the top twenty five. I said in this very chair that that Kansas team would have a very good February. I predicted on the beginning of February that they would go seven and two in the month of February against a much softer schedule. They got two games against Iowa State in February that didn't win a league game that year. They got two games against k State, who was awful that year. We saw the writing on the wall for them to rack up some wins pull their seat up to a three. And even though the problems on the team never got fixed, which you saw in the round of thirty two blowout loss to USC, they were able to get some wins and pad their numbers a little bit. I suspect you're going to see this team on a very similar trajectory. Kansas is right now sixteen and seven. They've gone from nine to two to sixteen and seven, so they are just seven and five in their last twelve games. Now, just like that year, the schedule opens up. Colorado, Utah BYU, Oklahoma State and Colorado are the next five games. None of them are ranked, none of them have above five hundred league records. Kansas should win at minimum four, if not all, five of those games, and then two of their final three are all three of their last week and a half games are very tough. Texas second home, Houston on the road, and Arizona at home, but you still have to give them the edge, and at least two of those games because they're playing at home. I think that Kansas will lose one more game the rest of the season and finish eight to two in their final ten Big Twelve games. However, even if that is the case, if Kansas is able to finish, what would that be There are eight league games left. I'll stan they go seven to one in those games. That gets them to twenty three and eight. Are you gonna feel that much better? I think the team's issues are gonna be the same. We just saw them collect some wins against the bottom level teams in the Big Twelve, and much like the twenty one team did, they got a nice signature win against Baylor on their home floor on Senior Day. I think this team gets in another one like that against Arizona and or Texas Tech. That's kind of the similar trajectory I see. I think this team's record is about to get a lot sexier. I think they're gonna win games. I think they're gonna score more points, and I think their defense is gonna rise because they're gonna take out some steam on Colorado and Oklahoma state level teams. But if that happens, is there much this team can do save for winning at Houston if they get to fourteen and six? Is there anything that this team can do that will make you think going into postseason play that they have figured out their problems. I don't think there is, which is why I think this is the very similar trajectory to that twenty twenty one team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a good case. You hadn't told me what that the comparison was. That makes a lot of sense. I like that comp Yeah, I think that's I think seven to one is very possible. Maybe I would go six and two. I'm slightly more of a pessimist. I think the thing that you named is the one thing that could change my mind and make me think they're figuring something out, and that's beat Houston on the road. Even that, of course, is dependent on contexts. That's saying that they've only lost at most one game of the rest of them going into that Houston game. Even that, though, is a dependent on that. And b again, I mean Kansas has a high enough ceiling to win games like that. That's a very very difficult game to win, and Houston is very, very good. But I reasonably speaking, I think you're right. I think, you know, obviously they could beat every team one hundred and twenty to forty, and you know, then I would think they're really good. But reasonably I think you're right. I don't know if there really is anything in these last few games, say for beating Houston that really makes will change my mind, that will make me consider this team differently than what they are right now, which again is a very high ceiling, low floor team that has issues on both ends of the floor, that when they're playing well, can beat anyone in the country, and when they're playing poorly, can lose to anyone in this conference.
Speaker 1: And I think that this game, I don't know how much it was going to set them back, but you know, now, all of a sudden, they've lost three straight road games by double digits. Whenever we thought maybe that had gotten better. They had won the road games at Cincinnati, who didn't wind up being We thought they were better at the time than they wound up being. They did get a nice road win at TCU, but TCU isn't very good, and they wait somebody else on the road who else? They beat uc by a thousand points, and you see, very good, right, Yeah, So, but we kind of were optimistic. Maybe that was and I do still think this team is a lot better than last year. Certainly, if anything else, based on the ceiling, I think that this team has enough quality wins to be had on their schedule. We gotta think they're gonna beat at least one of if not both Texas Tech and Arizona at home. They're gonna collect some more big twelve wins, which is still I mean, these are still top one hundred keen Pom teams. These are still borderline quad one if at worst quad two wins on the road if they get them, so, they're going to stack it. And then they're probably gonna get a couple in Kansas City unless everybody gets hurt unlike last year, just because they'll have such a good home court advantage there, they will get enough wins where I don't think, barring a collapse, their seed is falling below a four. However, I don't We've seen that. Last year they were a four and they got lambasted by Gonzaga in the round of thirty two game them getting too of.
Speaker 2: Course, that is not the first time that has happened, even if they got to a three. They got to a three with that aforementioned twenty one team right and also got absolutely annihilated by a USC squad. And before that in eighteen nineteen they were four seed and got absolutely annihilated by a very talented Auburn team as a five. So there's really no guarantee. I mean, the times that this has happened, they've gotten their doors blown off by whoever they've played in the round of thirty two.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, the round of thirty two. Our confidence in this team's ability to surge above the round of thirty two the checkpoint that they've only cleared once since twenty eighteen, and I know of those years didn't have a tournament, but still only one of the last four. In one of last five NCAA tournaments they cleared the round of thirty two. Point. I don't think there's just about anything that this team can do over the last what eight regular season games and then some big twelve tournament games, barring going like undefeated or like twelve and one, I don't think there's much of anything that they can do that's gonna make us think, oh, yeah, they have it figured out. The woes are corrected, this team is going to be the one that gets to the Elite eight. Still think they could. They have a very high ceiling, They have a win overdue. It might be the best team in the country. They obviously got the win over Iowa State, who's very good, and they crushed Iowa.
Speaker 2: States, so they should have beat Houston.
Speaker 1: Yes they they for all intensive purposes, had Houston beat multiple times and blew it multiple times. So we'll talk more about this game. But I didn't watch this game and think, Okay, now I'm out. I watch that game and think, yeah, these are the sort of game that even the best Kansas teams lose two, three, four times a year just because the Big twelve is tough. Everybody wants to beat Kansas. It's a loud environment and they the other team made a lot of shots like that. That's the sort of game that everybody loses. Duke just lost the game like this. The Clemson Auburn just lost the game like this to Florida. I'll be it at home, like everybody has these.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Florida is the freaking sixth ranked team in the country.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. Maybe maybe Duke and Clemson is the better analogy. It's it's a team that it was a it was a decent Power five team. Probably, Yeah, is an okay Power five team that beat them by a handful of points because they had a really good night shooting the ball, like every team goes through this every year, but it's it's more of the West Virginia's and the Baylors and the Houston games that I think have kind of spelled this team's trajectory out more than the k State and the Iowa State loss. At least that's the way I see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I didn't watch this game and think they're cooked, or think their season is over or anything like that, but it did can affirmed to me what I already what I have been thinking of Kansas, which I've articulated many times. I don't need to do that again here, but it confirmed to me both the pros and cons of the team, and the last two games have really done that. Well.
Speaker 1: Well blast the sandstorm because they definitely deserve it. However, it is worth noting that Kansas has now lost three straight times at Kansas State, which had not happened in over forty years. You have to go back to the early nineteen eighties to find the last time that at Kansas State beat Kansas three times in a row at home, and they are five and seven Kansas is in the last twelve games there. Overall, Kansas won. I believe twenty three of the first twenty four games at Bramwich Coliseum, and now since twenty and eleven, beginning with the Jacob Polland game, they are five for twelve at k State. And I do think look, people look at that stat and they think, Okay, that's that's Kansas getting worse. No, it's not. Kansas has been as good as any in college basketball in that twelve year stretch. This is Kansas State going from absolutely abysmal Kansas football level, bad in the in the in the horrible years that we saw with Kansas football. Case State was that bad in basketball, and now they built the fan base up and I Ella's helped them. They found more competent coaches. They were always due to get more than once every quarter century, but they're definitely getting They're getting more than half at this point. It's kind of balancing itself back out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, So should be hop into the players.
Speaker 1: Here, Let's do it. Let's talk all about this all right.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start off with Hunter Dickinson. He had a good game. Twenty one points, nine rebounds, four sists, eight of sixteen shooting in thirty one minutes. Really nice statistical game again for Hunter, but I think Case State did a really nice job of exploiting his specific weaknesses on defense. On the last show we were talking about, I was talking about the Hunter Dickinson plays really good defense at times. Please hear that. I do think he is very capable of being a good defender. But I think Case did exactly what he is bad at, and that is defending in space and having to make decisions between the ball and the rim, having to close space and watch backside play. He's not good at that. And Case State put him in a lot of scenarios where someone they got a mismatch, they got a ball screen, they put Hunter Dickinson between the ball and the rim with a player coming at him and a player behind him, and they torched him over and over again in that not one hunters fall. Obviously, it's still team defense, but they did get a lot of those matchups and they got a lot of layups from it. But he was still very good on the offensive end, and he did not have a bad game. I think he just got a little bit exploited.
Speaker 1: Hunter Dickinson basically had the same game that he had against Missouri when he had nineteen fourteen, four and four, and Kansas got largely handled on the road. Certainly, you're not going to get back after that game and say they lost because Hunter Dickinson sucks. At least that shouldn't be it, because no, Hunter Dickinson was fine. He as you said, had twenty one to nine and he made a three. Is first in conference play. Like statistically, he was fine. This is a game that goes worse if he doesn't play. However, I think that it really does point to the fact that this team, I don't think is set up around Hunter Dickinson's strengths. And it really surprises me the more we watch this that Bill's self didn't think that more in the offseason. I think what Bill self thought after watching last year is we got three good players that are all coming back. They're super seniors, Harris, Adams and Dickinson. These are all three good players. And that's true. They are all three good players. My two in my three sucked once Kevin mccullor got hurt. I'll find a competent two. I'll find a competent three. Add some bench depth, and we'll be doing just fine because I have five good basketball players on the court. At once, and Hunter Dickinson has shown that despite being a very good offensive player, that he is much more. He needs to be catered to a little bit than most elite All American players in the sense that like a Jani Broom or an RJ. Davis, you know, it'll matter who you put around. Those guys, they're gonna go out and they can carry a team any night of the week. Hunter Dickinson needs a stretch for next to him to clear some space for him to go to work. Hunter Dickinson needs some shooters to pass the ball to to take advantage of that. He's a very good passer. He really hasn't had that, and Kansas isn't winning games like they should be. I don't look at this era and think Hunter Dickinson is the reason Kansas isn't losing games. I do think that they have. I think they failed him a little bit by not putting the best positions around, but putting him in the best position that he could maximumly exploit. However, this is a sort of game that you look to your senior All America walking bucket to kind of carry you back a little bit. And it was another example of how we really haven't seen that got a lot of stats whenever the game was more or less decided. But yeah, it's hard for me to sit here and say they lost this game because of Hunter Dickinson. But I for a guy that scores this much, we have a lot fewer examples than I thought we would say of games where we could point and say they won that game because of Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: I think I think that's well said. I think that's kind of been the point I've trying to articulate. Trying to English is a very difficult language, even if you've spoken at your entire life. Apparently That's what I've been trying to say about Hunter Dickinson for this season is that he kind of what I said earlier in the year, that he's the floor setter, not the ceiling razor so much of this team. Not that he's incapable of winning games for the team. He has done that, or he has been the player to carry them to a win, but he is very much a guy that is at least in concept in actuality in the way that this has gone down. Look at how these games have played themselves out, how they have happened. Is that Hunter Dickinson when he's off the floor, especially last year, not as much this year. But if Hunter Dickinson's having bad games, the floor can drop out for Kansas, or if Hunter Dickinson, you know, towards ACL tomorrow, this season would be heading down a probably a bad path, though Flory might offer a little more of a respite than what they had last season. But he sets a really, really nice floor because he's going to go out and put up league numbers. But I think something that we could easily and have talked about with the next two guys we're gonna talk about in kJ Adams, Dwan Harris and what you were talking about, Ryan is exactly that the system fit, the roster construction does not mesh into a cohesive unit. And I was thinking about this earlier today, even that a lot of great Kansas teams, even some Kansas teams that weren't like great, had their best lineup, They had their best five or four a plug in of the other guy. This one exactly. It's like, well, Hunter Dickinson sruly needs to be out there, and probably Dewan Harris, but not always Dewan Harris. And sometimes Hunter Dickinson is not doing well enough to be on the floor, or at least is a weird mismatch with the other guys that are on the floor, And there's not like Rylan Griffin doesn't do enough to prove he needs to be out there. Even Zeke Meo, for as much as I am a fan of his, is also like has moments where it looks like he is not one of the best five players on the team. But then if it's not those guys, then who else is it? Because no one else is playing well enough to do that. It's very strange. Again, I do think this team's better than last year, but they are missing some very core pieces and core character traits of great Kansas teams, and that is evident in games like this.
Speaker 1: Well, and let's go ahead and talk about the rest of the bigs before we get into the guards. kJ actually did score in this game. He had thirteen points and five rebounds, six of nine shooting in a ridiculous thirty five minutes. So kJ scored all thirteen of those points in the first half because he hadn't scored more than twelve in a conference game yet. And then he scores thirteen and a half ten before the first TV timeout, doesn't score in the second half. He did play well overall. The discourse here, as you mentioned, it's getting stale. We all know the problem. It isn't gonna get any better. Florie Badounga he had six and four, three of his five shots win in the basket, and he played sixteen minutes. But that's a little misleading because he played the last eight. He played eight of the first thirty two minutes, and then Self threw him out there to end the night. Look, here's the thing. kJ Adams's plus minus was about the same. I think it was minus eight, and they were minus eleven in the game. So they had a bad first half on defense and offense with kJ playing well, and then they had a bad second half on defense and offense with kJ not playing well. I don't understand how Bill self, who as you mentioned, is trying. He is trying with way more rotations in games than we've ever seen him make this late in the season for a team. He is just trying to see if anything sticks. But we all kind of know thirty five minutes from kJ is not gonna get your offensive efficiency numbers through the roof, especially whenever you have to match three point baskets with K state. I think case they had double legit makes in this game. Your three point numbers aren't getting better with kJ on the floor. I want to know what Florie Badonga needs to do to play more, because he was really starting to gel in that four game stretch where kJ Adams didn't play. He ever's a double double and the team looked like they were going places. They choked the Houston game away, and if they didn't, I wonder if that changes the dialogue entirely on The team was figuring it out and then kJ came back and now it's a mess again. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: I think that is fair. I think the unfortunate answer to what Flori Badunga needs to do to play more is be a sophomore. But that's not gonna happen for another you know, however many months it is until uh October.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's gonna be a sophomore either, Like people are suspecting, people are saying he's gonna transfer. He has to be unhappy with his minute, right, I would be surprised if that happens because he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Because he's gonna walk into next year being the in pen starting five. Yes, if he comes back.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, he's if he leaves going to the NBA. I think next year's team is fascinating because you know, let's say Badonga comes back. If you get Darren Peterson and presumably Bryce and Tiller to play the one and the four, and then you have Flori at the at the five, right, and then I think priority one, two, three, four, and five is locking Ryland Griffin in a corner and not letting him up until he agrees to come back. That's your priority there? Can you give Darren Peterson a forty three point shooter? Flori though, is every bit as important to next year's team. I just think it's fascinating how this team was looking better on offense, uh, and they came within this close of beating Houston, and then kJ came back, and now Florida hasn't played as well. He has gotten the floor as much. The defense has gotten worse, Like I I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you, though, Ryan, would you almost want to beat Houston or have a guy that will occasionally play decent defense against stretch fours there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very very close. It is very difficult to choose, especially if you tell me the latter that the that, the that. That guy almost never scores except for in the first half of the Case State game.
Speaker 2: But but when he dunks, he will slap the floor and it will look very cool and it will be hyped.
Speaker 1: And it'll make Bill go from six to twelve instantly.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah, toughness.
Speaker 1: Have to really know what's what's what's better here. Flora needs to play, They need to try the floor. Flori and Hunter are starting the other thing again. I don't know why they changed that kind of rocked yep, it worked better than this. Well.
Speaker 2: A guy that definitely is gonna play a lot of minutes, theoretically is Dwan Harris.
Speaker 1: We're gonna he fell three times, so stupid we we may we may not.
Speaker 2: Uh he felt three times at the first half, which seems like kind of a paradox because I thought, according to James Naismith's Rules of basketball, uh that you're only allowed to foul twice in the first half before being auto bench. At least that is what Bill believes.
Speaker 1: Bill was doing some dirty things. He he broke some rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either way, Uh, Harrison will twenty four minutes here hit four points six assists. It also just so happens that his benching midway through the first half coincided with KSE eight taking control of the game for good. Ryan, you have a very strong take here, So go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean they lost, guys, but look at the bright side. At least he didn't foul out right, That's what we were really trying to avoid. That's what we can't have. I swear college coaches. It's like in the NFL when when opposition, when coaches act like the absolute worst thing you can do is turn the ball over on downs. We're not even to consider going for it in this situation where and they may it sound like it's a done deal. We're not gonna get it if we go for it. The Chiefs, in case anybody forgot the Chiefs got their doors blown off them and came out to start the second half and a driver where you absolutely had to have points. They got to midfield, got to fourth and eight and Andy Reid said, punt the ball. Why what are you doing? You have to get points. They act like the risk of but what if we don't get it, buddy, you're gonna kick it right back to an offense. You couldn't stop anyway. Go for it, keep your offense on the field. Same here, Same thing here. With Kansas, Dwan Harris averages a foul every eighteen minutes. He immediately gets two fouls. Bench him for a couple minutes, put him back out there halfway through the second half. Build it everything right. Then he gets an absolute cracker jack, horrible foul call where he didn't even touch the guy that was shooting. They called it his third. Okay, he's got to go for a while, but he is only if I am the coach. He is only sitting down until I feel control of that game starting to slip. Case State stretches that to and seven to eight, and then double digit point lead. Dwan's got to get back in the game. I don't care if he gets a fourth foul at that point, because that he's not guaranteed to get the fourth foul or the fifth foul if I put him out there. He averages a foul every eighteen minutes. Let's not act like the ten minutes of sample size where he collected three in this game outwighs what he's proven throughout one hundred plus games as a starter, which is a guy that fouls less than twice per game. And then Lord behold, he plays all twenty second and a half minutes. Guess how many fouls to one Harris finished with Landon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it was three.
Speaker 1: It was three. He didn't foul again. So would it have mattered? Probably not in the grand scheme of things. But whenever you feel, whenever Bill self sees that league grow to double digits, anything's well. I can't put to one back in, even though it's a double digit lead. I would have risked the fourth foul. And because I think the odds that de one gets number four is worse than the odds of Kansas not cutting into that deficit more than they would have without Harris. And I am playing the numbers game all the time. It's not gonna work every time. Maybe I remember vividly when Kansas played Dayton and Maui, and I said, you gotta keep Marcus Garrett in the game. He's got three fouls early in the second half. Bill did, and he immediately got number four and Obi top and went burr and the and Kansas almost lost that game. I watched that happen. Sometimes that's gonna happen. You don't make sports bets to win. Every time you make bets to win. Over the large period of sample, the majority of the time, de one wasn't gonna get number four. More, there are more scenarios where if Dewan Harris plays the rest of that first half and all of the second half, there are way more scenarios where he doesn't foul out than he does. Keep him in there, especially when you feel it's slipping away. This is a numbers game, and coaches don't get it.
Speaker 2: I actually I do mostly agree with you here. I do think he should have sat a little bit. I do also agree though, that when k State breaches the double digit mark in the first half with the lead, that Dewe Harris needs to go he needs to go back in because that is an environment where you are in real danger of letting that game slip away. Obviously, in the second half, Kansas had plenty of opportunity with Dwan Harris to come back, and it's not like being down eight at half is some wildly insurmountable lead. But certainly the vibe of the game changed immediately, and it wasn't like it wasn't like Kansas was in a great spot or in the driver's seat in any way, uh Whendwan Harris came out. So I do agree there when it got to like forty twenty nine late in the first half, to one probably needs to come back at least for a few minutes to try to quell that, try to get a couple buckets and try to slowcase state down. I think at three fouls most of the time a player does probably just sit for as long as they can with three fouls in the first half. Dwan Harris pretty smart player too, he knows he can't afford fouls at that point. So largely I do agree, especially with the way the game ended up being Alfo Hindsight's twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: But mathematically speaking, just because let's say that you go your whole life without getting a speeding ticket and then you get one after twenty years of driving, the next day, you're not any more likely to get a ticket because you got one the day before as you were any other day. But yet so many people will overcorrect and be more careful. Well, I'm not gonna speed now because I got one. You're no more likely to have something happen again just because it happened once to Harris, getting three fouls does not make him any more likely to get a fourth foul than he would any other day of the week. But yet we're gonna act like we have to sit him, and I just don't understand it. I don't understand how the purpose of preserving him is because you're trying to avoid him fouling out, therefore not having him available. So your remedy to we got to make sure we don't lose him is let's lose him on purpose for an extended stretch. Like I don't get it. I would play him until he fouls out at that point or unless I get control of the game. I'm not getting snowballed in Bramleedge while my leader, my point guard sits with potential foul trouble. And I would argue that a player that averages less than two fouls per game. I would argue, three fouls late in the first half isn't foul trouble at all.
Speaker 2: There are we could really get into the weeds on this if you want it. I don't really want to get deeply into the weeds here.
Speaker 1: No, no, because it didn't really impact the final game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I disagree slightly with your logic, not enough to have the conversation. I do think that's like reasonable. I am generally speaking more of the opinion of if a guy has three fouls or is in foul trouble. However, you wanted to find that that. I would rather save a guy for potentially the end of the game or nearer the end of the game later in the game than risk losing him early. And I would rather be in control of that situation, uh, than to lose him and then have my hand forced. Maybe that's just the way I see the world in general. There's no telling, right, But no, that's that's fair.
Speaker 1: That's that's a perfectly fine perspective to have. But even with like, I'm really aggressive, I would be a very bad real game coach, because three minutes into the game things wouldn't be going well and I would want to tinker and tonker my way to a thousand adjustments. You would be much more patient, but you're still lean more aggressive than most of these these old college coaches.
Speaker 2: I would like to think.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Uh, when did you know the game was over? When was the moment when you go, oh, yep, this is a loss?
Speaker 2: I probably thought that for the majority of the second half. I'd have to look at like.
Speaker 1: I think it was whenever I think it was, I know they thought a whole half left. But for me, whenever they cut it to six right at the end of the half and you're pumped about only being down six and Ngoson hits the impossible fade away step back, it's like, oh yeah, now this and l and then they they did cut it to five. Griffin hit the three to open the second half, and then it immediately goes back up.
Speaker 2: And that is when it is. When it was cut to five, and immediately case It took it back to like ten or eleven or whatever. Yep, that was what it was, like, Oh yeah, this is like ninety a loss, probably.
Speaker 1: Because Kansas was making was making shots. They lost this game despite shooting better than fifty percent from the floor. I actually opened in the first four or five minutes. I thought this had potential to be a Kansas runaway because I figured Kansas State's defense would cool down and Kansas's offense with Harris in the game just zipping along, they had everything they wanted, and it was Case State that made the defensive adjustments. And didn't let up on the offensive end. Helps. Whenever your white guy of the game makes a ridiculous three, I expected it to come whenever the score was a little bit more in doubt than it was. But albeit Brandon Housen, who is a very good shooter in general, this is not Jordan Elgelseeter making an uncharacteristic amount of shots. But he made three of his ten threes, and it felt like more. They were bombs. That dude can shoot the piss out of the ball. I wish Kansas had that guy wearing their color jersey.
Speaker 2: Didn't he He did the night night, didn't he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He did? It was cold, it was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's better than Will Spradling. I know it brought back Will Spradling vibes. But he's a lot. But he's a good basketball player.
Speaker 2: He is. We did talk a little bit about this earlier, but does does kay State have a chance at the tournament here? Like, I mean, obviously if they win the rest of their game, sure, but like, are they gonna have a real shot to do that?
Speaker 1: They're six and six and Big twelve play and they're non schedule is horrendous. They don't have a single quality non con win like nothing close. I don't even know if they have a quad two non con win. They absolutely have to get to at least eleven Big twelve wins. They gotta go five and three at worst the rest of the way, maybe even better. Arizona is a great measuring stick for them, right if they beat Arizona, suddenly, oh they got Iowas, take Kansas and Arizona all in a week and a half stretch, I think then you start talking about maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're toughest games left or Arizona and Iowa State, both those are at home. They do have to go to Provo. That's not going to be easy, but their schedule is not the most difficult. If say they go like six and two in the backstretch and that puts them at an overall record of like eighteen and thirteen, they're probably.
Speaker 1: I think that's right side of the bubble. I think that's the right side of the bubble. If they get to if they get to twelve big twelve wins, even with their bad non con schedule, it will be very hard for them to be left out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially at that point they'll have at least one win over Iowa State at Kansas, probably Arizona if if they do indeed go six and two. Yeah, nebu a much much better resume than you once thought Case State was capable of.
Speaker 1: And something that we once thought Zeke Mayo was capable of doing is making shots on the road, and he finally did in this game. He made all three of his threes. He went five for eight overall and thirty six minutes and route to a fifteen point seven rebound five ass his performance. I didn't think he played very well despite those stats because of the five turnovers, and boy can he be careless with the ball and defensively well. Three for three from three ties the most road threes he's made in a game all year, which is your research. I didn't even know that's true. He made three at Iowa State, albeit on three times as many shots. And it's just the second time this year that he shot above his season average from three on the road this year. This is road game number eight for Kansas and he's only shot better than average in two of them. The other was Creighton when he was two for four. Zeke's got to shoot more, man. Even with the fifteen points, there are so many moments where you're like, just shoot it, and he instead dribbles it, and it's either a turnover or a less or somebody who's not Zeke Mao shooting a three, which is worse, or somebody who's not Zeke Mao shooting a two, which is worse. He needs to shoot ten threes a game, well.
Speaker 2: Especially in a night where he's going through for three. There is a little chicken or the agger, like what comes first, Zeke getting good looks or Zeke being hot, Because there's a lot of games where Zeke takes shots that aren't necessarily good looks. Some of those go in, some of those don't, so you know, maybe this was a game where he just was taking his better looks. But in a game also where you are trailing by like eight for the.
Speaker 1: Entire sec you're playing catch up, fire the rock.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, one of those threes was a late desperation heave to give, you know, to keep Kansas's life support monitor on for like ten more seconds. But nonetheless, yeah, I think he did need to shoot. This is definitely a game where he needs to shoot more, Like what what do you you know, what are you risking by him not taking a bunch more threes, especially on a night where extremely consistent Ryland Griffin is one for six in the arc, which we'll talk about a second, but.
Speaker 1: No, go for it, go ahead, go ahead, because I think he plays. As part of that conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was one for six from three. He was one for seven. Overall, it's zero for one from two for those keeping track, he had three points to assist nothing else in eighteen minutes. Aj stores box score lies as it says he was fine when he actually sucked, whatever size the Eggs, the Chiefs and Drake also sucked. During the Super Bowl, he went four for ten, one for five from three, did have nine points, two rebounds. The last couple of guards here to read these stats as well, Shack Moore two points, four assists, two steals and a block in fifteen minutes, David Coy a rebound in two turnovers in five minutes. And that's your guards. A weird night.
Speaker 1: Here's everything I got for this Griffin. I'm glad he shot six threes. He's really close. They're all around the basket. They're just not dropping. He's got to continue to shoot it. And this team doesn't have a plan B they need Mayo and Griffin to make threes combined. They took what is that combine? They didn't even take ten in this game. That can not happen. They need fifteen plus attempts, especially in a game where you're playing catchup. Aj Storer. Yeah, I don't know if aj Storre has made a consequential basket for Kansas since the North Carolina game. I'm glad he had nine points and he actually seemed like, Okay, no one else wants to shoot, I'll do it. It's not gonna be a Wesdag.
Speaker 2: He's been telled every time he touches the ball. He does.
Speaker 1: He does have it. I would love to see his the amount of times that he shoots per one hundred possessions. I bet he has the highest mark of anybody on the team. Maybe Zeke Mao, but Zeke Mayo is much much better. And uh yeah, Shaq. I would like to see Shaq Moore run the point without Harris sometimes and Bill didn't even do it here because he was having Quite do it instead whenever, whenever Harris was in first half foul trouble. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, neither, I do. Think you kind of hit the nail on the head early in this season, saying that this team you didn't use this term, but basically it's gonna ride or die with Rylean, Griffin, aj Store, Zeke Mayo, and they need to continue to try Griffin in Store. And we're seeing kind of the result of the inconsistency. I mean, obviously Store has been kind of a non factor for a while at this point, but on a night where Griffin, okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Let's work through this with me. So Dickinson has been how many Jayhawk players have been worse than we thought, and yet the team's still a lot worse. Dickinson's been about what we expected. Harris has been what we expected. Zeke Mayo has been brilliant. He's been better than we could have realistically expected. Griffin has been a little bit worse. He hasn't been terrible, but he's been worse compared to what we thought he'd be. Store has been much worse, and kJ Flori's been. Flori's been a lot better than what we could have imagined. Like, it feels like this team has the majority of the guys have been what we expected, but it feels like they have every bit as many numbers that have been better than we thought than worse, and yet they've been still kind of they've been kind of stinky.
Speaker 2: And again, I think that a lot of that goes back to roster construction and roster fit. It just is it's weird. It just doesn't work that well on the offensive side of the basketball. And then also you have like a gargantuan black hole that was supposed to be Aj stores fifteen points a game like he came into this year, and I think everyone had the full expectation that that guy was at least going to be double digit scoring every night and was going to be a guy that could go out on some nights and get you twenty twenty five and just like takeover games occasionally and win. And he just has not even been remotely close to that obviously well documented here, but he has been nothing even remotely approaching a guy that does that, and they've had to replace that. And I think that also might be a little underrated element to what the season has been that they've had to completely find in real time a guy with any ability to do that. Because aj Storre was supposed to be able to win games for you occasionally well.
Speaker 1: And then you also look at how in the final number is fifty percent shooting thirty two percent from three, which they were three for five in the first half and then shot very poorly in the second. They didn't shoot enough in the first half, and then they shot probably too many in the second half and only fifty eight percent from the line. I mean, what all that tells me is this team, the roster construction is just weird. It's just not that it's not the cohesive unit we thought it would be. Typically, teams that are very experienced gel really well, especially by the time he gets to this late in the year, and it just hasn't happened for this team yet it remains to be seen. Could they figure it out? Yes, And I think what gives you hope is unlike last year, this team has the ability to be a lot better, Like they could go on a run in the NCAA Tournament with their talent. Last year, we n that wasn't gonna happen. And also Bill self did say today, look, I know that sixteen and seven isn't what people expected, but there's plenty of teams that would kill to be in our spot. I'm watching North Carolina right now about to follow fourteen and eleven, and they are just getting slammed by Clemson, like they're not gonna make the tournament. There are plenty of teams that would kill old to be in Kansas's spot. I know Kansas Blue Blood and I know all that, but like it's kind of that they're a victim of their own success. Like Bill self's worst season is better than ninety five percent of team's bests. So, you know, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks. But if this team never really gels and they're a four seed and they lose in the round of thirty two, people on Twitter can say all they want how unacceptable it is. I mean, all you can ask for is that they're consistently getting you top four seeds.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, which I would still predict. I still very much think Kansas will be a four.
Speaker 1: Seed and then they'll get a Round a thirty two game against the five seed, which, based off of how the last few years have gone, well, that that's gonna be Show five hundred. So now you got two strikes to knowing why that's going to be the season finale episode Big twelve games, and none of them were interesting. Oh I think I forgot to play the airhorn. Actually, okay, here you go, belated by Big twelve games. Okay, Landon, we'll do these rapid fire because there's nothing interesting. I don't believe anything interesting happened in the Big twelve other than Kansas. I think that was it. Number twenty, Arizona eighty two, number thirteen, Texas Tech seventy three. Those were two good teams.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, they're eleven and one now. They shot almost sixty five percent from two in this game, getting fourteen and eleven from Toby o Waka and sixteen points from both Jade and Bradley and Caleb Love. Both of these teams are good. And Arizona I think they are out kicking their coverage a little bit with eleven and one, but they're much much closer to that than like the six and five or whatever they were in the non Con. They're they're good team and they are on fire.
Speaker 1: All the way up to number thirteen and the ap top twenty five now finally in front of you con. It's amazing how it took this long to correctly make that swap. Number eight Iowa State eighty two, TCU fifty two. Skid is over for the Cyclones. We knew that it would be a blot.
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, you want me to read the next thing, because if we can go really rapid fire, I can read the scores.
Speaker 1: Oh, you want to just move on, you want to just do that. I'm good with that. Joshua Jefferson at thirteen and ten for the Cyclones. Jamie Dixon one win after getting his five hundred win, gets his five hundred loss. Pretty sure, that's right, right, five hundred years that joke and field it was funny. Go for it. Yeah, we'll just rule. We'll just fly through this. Jamie Dixon in his career. I want to find his record while you read the score.
Speaker 2: I love it when people think I'm funny. One of my favorite things. Baylor ninety one, UCF seventy six. The Bears continue to win the games they should and not the ones they shouldn't eighteen and twelve from Nordchad Omer UCF defense is bad. It went end out when your offense is struggling, play the Knights. Your troubles will be washed away. To the tune of eighty five plus.
Speaker 1: Kansas is barely a top fifty team and Ken Palm offense and what they hang one hundred and ninety on UCF in two games this year?
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 1: A lot there you go, Jamie Dixon five hundred and two forty four in his career, but a lot of that's from Pittsburgh as if you look at TCU's seventy two and one twenty one.
Speaker 2: What's Jamie Dixon's conference record all time? Because you can play Florida A and M in Prairie View, Western whatever a million times.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. And I don't even know how to it doesn't even put that in here on the college Basketball Reference page. I want to know this that is that is exactly? What? Like? Seriously, where is his conference numbers? How do they not have that? I could probably do the math on it, but I bet it's not very good.
Speaker 2: West Virginia seventy two, Utah sixty one seventeen from Amani Hansbury, Brian, do you care at all about this game? No?
Speaker 1: I don't, but I do care about Jamie Dixon's conference record. So you keep going and I'm gonna try to find it.
Speaker 2: You got it. Cincinnati eighty four BYU sixty six. Two good offensive games from the Bearcats in a row, which makes the first time that's happened all year, the first two games of that all season for Cincinnati twenty four from my favorite named player in the country, Jizsel James, Cincinnati won a couple games in a row. Now look at that. Uh, they still have a long road back and I don't think they're gonna make it. But nicest seasonince he get a couple of wins. Number six Houston sixty nine, Colorado fifty nine. Juwan Roberts had twenty. But this did not come easy for Houston, who led by just four at the under four time out. A little preview of Kansas Colorado if you will, maybe, oh please, No, the Cougars are also eleven and one. The Buffalo's zero to twelve. Yeah. Shockingly, even though it was close at the under four, the really good team closed strong and the bad team did not.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Houston gets the win there, but only by ten. Newston's had a couple of these weirdly closer than they should be games as of late. I don't think that means much.
Speaker 1: But no, it's not. It's it's that they're bored I think more than anything else. Jamie Dixon's record in conference play is two oh eight and one seventy, which is a winning percentage of what is that? That's two o eight in the three seventy eight fifty five percent getting close, getting real.
Speaker 2: Close, exactly correct. He's just also to keep his job, but not good enough to be notable.
Speaker 1: He was way better at Pitt too. He's a six thirty eight career winner percentage in conference games at PITT and four to twenty two at TCU granted tougher conference pretty well. Yeah, he is a sixty five and ninety in his career as well.
Speaker 2: It's also not like coach, It's not like Pitt was a blue blood or anything in the ACC though, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they well, he had a couple of good teams. They were one seed once. Like he had some good teams. Uh, they were so TCU. This is Jamie Dixon's like eighth year and they are. They were six and twelve the first year where they won the NIC and considering who he was taking over for, that was very impressive. Then nine to nine, seven and eleven seven and eleven five and eleven eight and ten, nine and nine, nine and nine and this year five and seven could go ten and ten. Wouldn't that be perfect? He's going four five hundred and what would be the third straight year in con friends play could definitely happen. Are we done with Big twelve games yet? Oh? Oklahoma State eighty six, Arizona State seventy three. This is your surprise Big twelve team landing and they sit in fifteenth place. They are They are surprisingly bad. They're worse than we thought because their coach is kind of a troll. But the teams are combined twenty four to two that played in this game very Jamie Dixon like. No time will be spent talking about them.
Speaker 2: Which moves us along to Big twelve standings. Tied for first two games ahead of the rest of the pack is Houston and Arizona at eleven and.
Speaker 1: One, Texas Tech is nine and three, Iowa State is eight and four, and then tied in fifth place Kansas and Baylor, two teams that have the same record, but Baylor's been very steady and consistent and predictable, and Kansas to get to their seven and five has had some wonky, weird stuff to get there.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the pack, tied for seventh BYU West Virginia K State. They're all six and six K State heck of a row to six and six. As of late YEP tied for tenth Utah TCU. They are both five and seven, which also Utah. We thought Utah was gonna be Colorado. Instead they've been TCU, which is pretty good for their first year in the league.
Speaker 1: I predict Utah really hits the fan down the stretch. I think they're about to find out what the grind of a twenty game Big twelve slate feels like whenever you're just not used to it. But yes, to this point, they haven't slammed into the iceberg and sunk to the bottom of a three mile deep ocean.
Speaker 2: Even five and fifteen is bet we thought Utah was going to genuinely be like a two or three win That's true. So even if they lose out, they have exceeded expectations.
Speaker 1: And they will be better than Colorado if they lose out, as I think maybe everybody on this list would can say that, because yeah, UCF, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State are four and eight, Arizona State is three and nine and then needing to go at at worst four and four. The rest of the way to get out of last place is zero to twelve. Colorado the absolute the most that any Big twelve team has ever been, and they are horrible. Cam says they're due. I hope they're not, because look what happens next Landon.
Speaker 2: Boy, if they're due, they'll be doing Bowler, They'll be doing Boulder. That's that's my joke. Prediction that maybe isn't a joke.
Speaker 1: It's gonna say that game is gonna be closer than we think. Now we go on to other games. It was a very wild weekend of basketball. We saw the nation's top ranked team go down at home. Number six Florida very impressively went on the road and took down top ranked Auburn ninety to eighty one. They got nineteen points and six assists from Walter Clayton Junior, who is a stud. The Gators snagged probably the most impressive win for any college team this year to tighten up the SEC race. While the Tigers lost for the first time since Cameron indoor in the first week of December, they have only lost twice this year, and they probably rightfully stayed at number one even despite losing a home game this week.
Speaker 2: The SEC race is tied after number three Alabama almost blew an eighteen point second half lead at Arkansas, but they did hold on for the win eighty five eighty one, both Alabama schools nine to one to lead the league. Other league results including four Tennessee clobbering Oklahoma, Norman shocking that portermost.
Speaker 1: Shocking Porter got pantsed.
Speaker 2: Number ten Texas A and M got a last second three from Wade Taylor to upset fifteen Missoo in Colombia, and number twenty five Ole Miss and number twenty two Missippi State both getting narrow road wins.
Speaker 1: The SEC is a roller coaster, but I think it's very clear even with Florida's win, there are two elite teams in that conference. There are several very good ones. Tennessee and Florida are very good. Texas A and M's fist the end. Miszoo is not someone I'd want to play in the tournament at all. But I think it's Auburn and Alabama. I think those are your blue chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Auburn is psycho and Alabama can score with anybody in the country.
Speaker 1: I think Alabama might be better than Auburn. I don't know if that's true now, but I think Auburn we have reason to think they may have already hit their ceiling. They have a lot better luck metrics than Ken Palm, kind of leading some of the metric sites that think they've overachieved a little bit. I think Alabama has the universe as a ceiling, and they have a coach that is known to go deeper into the tournament than Auburn's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's no way Alabama gets outscored in a crucial moment in March.
Speaker 1: Right, Yep. They might give up ninety if they can't get it up there, they're in trouble, but they're not getting They're not losing ninety five ninety three. That's not gonna happen to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you like to tell me about the Big East?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Creighton, who is the second place in the Big East. I believe they've had a really good year. Greg McDermott should be the coach of the year in most years, but whenever you're dealing with Rick Patino, that probably won't happen in that conference. Because they lost Pop Isaacs, they have had all sorts of injury problems, and yet here they are in second place in the league. They took down number eleven Marquette, a reeling Golden Eagle squad, by ten. Everybody in the conference, though, is looking up at Rick Patino in a few different ways, as number twelve Saint John's one at number nineteen Yukon sixty eight sixty two to reach twelve and one in league play the Red Storm they are twenty one and three overall, which is very impressive by itself, but you look at the data a little deeper. The loss is by one to Baylor and two overtimes, by one to Creighton, and by three to Georgia, who all three were ranked teams at one point this year. Maybe the most consistently like outside of the Auburn and Alabama and Duke tiers, maybe the most consistent Tier two team in college basketball. I think Patino's the best college basketball coach of the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard to argue with that. I mean, there is a coach k I guess that stands that coached a lot in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: True, I think more active active.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Speaking of that team, Clemson finally gave number two Duke an ACC loss, as the Tigers pulled within a game of the league crown after a seventy seven to seventy one home upset. Victor Lakin had twenty two points while Cooper Flagg, driving for the typical bucket in the closing seconds, slipped and traveled. It's the first loss for the Blue Devil since the Kansas game. Just nah, the season feels on the same for Kansas as.
Speaker 1: Duke feels like an eternity ago at this point, and Clemson honestly so. The Duke win was impressive. We knew they'd be turned up for that. We knew Duke was kind of due to lose a game. Okay, you got one, kind of like when Kansas State beats Kansas and then falls right on their ass the next game. I was very curious to see what would happen with Clemson the next game. Well, they're just wiping the floor with North Carolina beat them by more than twenty, which is another very difficult game to get up for emotionally against a fast athletic a'lbeit underachieving team. This year, Clemson No. Now twelve and two in the ACC. They feel like the five seed that's gonna lose to A twelve in the first round of the NCAA tournament, but still they are Duke's biggest competition to win a worthless acc crown in the Big Ten. Number nine Michigan State overcame a big early deficit to surge past the Ducks in a conference game against Oregon by twelve to snap a two game skid. Number twenty four Michigan also wanted Assembly haul Land and we got a step. Stop picking teams to win or to lose that Assembly Hall unless it's Indiana. They lose a lot at Assembly they lose their a lot. Both Michigan teams are ten and two. They are both one half game behind Number seven per Due. The boiler Makers are in first place. They clawbered USC at home. What is this conference? They are eleven and two. All of those teams are getting ready to play each other. Fun Big Ten race. A lot of the teams in that league changed, but the same basketball powerhouses sans Indiana, are still running the show.
Speaker 2: That's true. In my personal favorite segment, did DePaul win, No, but they shouldn't lose either. They had a bye weekend, so uneventful week for DePaul. But they will take a week in which they do not lose.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, they haven't had very many of those, and they'll take one. Here. Ranked teams to lose since the last show, there's only three, or there's only five of them. You have three Big twelve slash former Big twelve teams, and the top two teams in college basketball this year. Number one Auburn lost at home to Florida.
Speaker 2: Number two Duke lost to Creighton or at Clemson, not Creighton.
Speaker 1: There you go. That could happen to Creighton's good. Number thirteen Texas Tech lost to Arizona.
Speaker 2: Number fifteen Miszoo lost to Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: And number sixteen Oh no, not you Oh the drop didn't work. It's hiding in shame. There you go. Bill lost to k State, which, let me give you a little last year on inside the Paint up. And another ranked team to lose in the last show, Kansas lost to Kansas State. Hope, let me go back one more year. And ranked teams to lose since the last show. Here's Kansas. They lost to Kansas State. But I'm sure they won't do that next year, right, damnit, damnit, damn it. Three times in a row. Kansas has lost to Kansas State. They haven't won there since the Ochai game. Right that wild comeback when when Oachai hit the bucket with less than ten seconds left and they they wanted the last at the buzzer. Yep. Yeah, it's been a long time, so they should have lost that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they absolutely should have. And then just by like level of disgustingness, they should have lost the year before that as well.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, and you go back another year, the twenty team. Uh, they were number one in the country and k State was last in the Big twelve and Kansas only won that game by four. They always play ugly in Manhattan, right, that was on Leapier Day, right before they shut the world down, and we were like, Kansas unstoppable. They are never losing again, and they didn't. That's true, but that has an asterisk.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Last week in pick them, speaking of not losing landon, the gap is tightening. You had a great pick them week. I believe you're within six of CAM. I'm within four of Cams, so we're all within six games of each other with plenty of picks. Had stop picking the Jayhawks to win, and you'd be in first place.
Speaker 2: I did. I tried. I tried doing that a couple of times, and it hasn't gone well for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your record in Kansas games this year? And yeah, that's that's disappointing. If you had picked those games correctly, you'd be doing great. But you can make up for it by answering some of these questions. Okay, babe, all right, so ask rock Shock blog. I haven't looked at these yet. I'm assuming we're gonna have some Chiefs questions that I think they played a football game yesterday. I don't know. I'm trying not to think about it, even though Landon, you're not much of a Chiefs fan anymore. Explained dynasty fatigue a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's dynasty fatigue and also just like life perspective. Yeah, but what has happened here is that the Chiefs are just very good. And I really do despise football dynasties. I don't know something about specifically. Football dynasties are just the most boring thing in the world to me, and I'm I want the Chiefs to win against the Eagles. I really did. I wanted to see the three peet I was a little upset when they lost. I was, I was disappointed, But I just can't really be made to have a deep emotional connection to the Chiefs anymore. I've seen them do everything I could have ever dreamed of seeing them do multiple times at this point, and there's just not a lot of juice left there. Still like them. I still watched like almost all their games this year. I don't. I think I've only missed one because I was like out of the country. Otherwise I saw them. But yeah, it's a little board, a little board by.
Speaker 1: Them, and I think that that's a fair take. Like I the first chief super Bowl happened right before COVID and I was twenty five, and I was prepared to go my whole life without ever seeing that and have it happened whenever I was young, and you know, you can celebrate and go to the parade and buy the shirt and hat and the and the framed picture of the suit of the confetti falling on the super Bowl, like all of that was just it was so fun to get to do that whenever. I cried actual tiers as a seven year old when they lost to the Colts in the two thousand and three playoff game and it just was NonStop crap until Mahomes got there. But ever since then, as they've done nothing but go to Super Bowls and win the majority of them, I'm with you, it hasn't It hasn't been quite the same. It is cool that they've won games, and I was like, oh darn that they lost yesterday. I was rooting for them to win. But it just now that I've seen all three of the teams I root for win a championship within the first twenty five years of my life, that is spoiled and I can't really and they've done it multiple times. I've seen kay you win it twice. I'm not even thirty yet, almost, but I've seen kay you win it twice. I've seen the Chiefs win it three times. I've seen the Royals win it once. And I've seen all three of those teams lou get to other championships and lose on the doorsteps. So no shortage of opportunities and wins. I can't even imagine if I was like a Bills fan, like or poor Cam being a line because we did that. We watched the Chiefs lose a playoff game where they didn't punt and then we lost. Chiefs lose a playoff game where the other quarterback threw a touchdown pass to himself like, and then we watched the Chiefs lose it to a playoff game when they scored two touchdowns and their opponents scored no touchdowns, and yet the Chiefs still lost. You were at that game.
Speaker 2: I was at that game, the only playoff game I've ever attended.
Speaker 1: Oh and it was cold and they moved it because of ice. And you watch the Steelers make six field goals and beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: And we watched them tie the game only for the holding call.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot about that was that the Eric Fisher hold on the two point try.
Speaker 2: That was when the refs hated the Chiefs exactly. Yeah, right, something that they definitely don't do now.
Speaker 1: But that's it. We kind of kind of tying into that because there are a couple Chiefs questions, So let's hit those. First year at Sholmy Hawk, which of these is the worst weekend in nineteen KU lost at West Virginia. Oh my god, this is going to bring us dark memories landing And the next day the Chiefs lost in the D four game to the Patriots. In twenty twenty one, k You got blown out at West Virginia to end their top twenty five streak. The day before, the Chiefs got blown out in Tampa in the Super Bowl. In twenty twenty two, Kansas got trashed by Kentucky. The day before they blew the Chiefs blew a twenty one to three lead in the AFC Championship Game against Cincinnati. And then this year k You lose at k State, Chiefs get blown out in the Super Bowl to Philly. Wow. So when the Jayhawks lose on Super Bowl Saturday, bad things happen the next day, is what you're telling me here? Or on AFC Championship Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's a tough one. I think I would go twenty twenty two, because yeah, there was I also have a vivid memory of also the Saturday that k you lost to Kentucky or maybe it was it was it was either the Saturday or the Sunday one or the other.
Speaker 1: Is the soccer game.
Speaker 2: USA soccer had a qualifying game against Canada that they also lost to nothing, and it looked for a moment like is USA gonna blow this again? So that was a like depressingly bad three games to have back to back to back.
Speaker 1: And it was cold. It was real cold. They're playing soccer games in January and Canada and it was it was or maybe it was a Minnesota or something.
Speaker 2: It was just freezing it Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. Yeah, And yeah, so the twenty two year was the worst for my money because we were coming off such an emotional high. The week before, We're in a three day stretch. Yeah, Canabis beating you had Kansas beeeding k State in the game we just talked about. Then the Chiefs and the Bills played the wildest playoff game I've ever watched, the thirteen second game, and then the next day was the o Chaia Baji double overtime three uh win ixae. Yeah, so we were we thought that nothing could go wrong, and Kansas just got flattened roadkill style by John Caliperi and his well colossal you know. And then but we were like, hey, it's okay, the Chiefs get to play the lousy ass Bengals as an eight point favorite the next day. Nothing could go wrong. And then well, yeah, I think that of all of those scenarios, I think twenty two is the only one where you legitimately believed both Ku and are twenty two. Twenty two is the only one of those four where both Ku and the Chiefs were considerable favorites and they both got trounced.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I think that's a very good way to put it.
Speaker 1: And at Showy Hawk also says, I feel like I'm one of the few Chiefs fans that's ready to turn the page after the Super Bowl loss. The three peat would have been cool, but at least the season was still success in a vacuum. Also ads we saw the Jayhawks win in that same building, the Superdome, three years ago. We did. I didn't even think about that. Yeah, the Chiefs said, like, Chiefs fans are so spoiled man, like the Chiefs. That's the right attitude. You tip your cap. Philadelphia play. They clearly showed you they were a better team, and they played a fantastic game and they beat you, and all you only have three Super Bowls in the last six years now instead of four, Like, no one feels bad for the Chiefs. No one should. And you tip your cap and you move on to the next one. The Chiefs will be back. I don't know if they're going to play in the Super Bowl next year, but they're always going to have a chance with the roster they have, kind of like Kansas, and that's really all you can ask for.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Seeing if there's anything else with football before we move on to basketball, I don't think there is. At Mayo Zeke Berner. If the following duo of fran furs Schilla and Doug Sermons, oh my gosh, I don't even want to see the rest of the question at this point. I'm ready to just go ahead and end it. Oh, the rest of the questions good? If they both retired tomorrow, would world peace be solved, at least.
Speaker 2: In the sports community. Yeah, the Twitter community would be way calmer. General discourse on this podcast would be a little calmer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Landon is quite happy with the way that things from a world affairs perspective are going. So I don't even think, really good, guys, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't think that there'd be anything left on his list that would be problematic. I think that it would be like the meme of the flying cars utopian city, that'd be your life if Fran and Doug Sermons both disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would take one of those flying cars to America's Gaza.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, there I go, jumping to my death. Before I have to touch the rest of this podcast. I'm at Dick Underscore Taser with a really good question that brings up something that we need to talk about here Land And he says, Valentine's Day is it legitimate or just for guys that don't care care of business on the other three hundred and sixty four days.
Speaker 2: Uh, it is a completely fraudulent holiday that I've never had the opportunity to celebrate.
Speaker 1: No, that's it is not your you absolute marketing hill, you absolute sheep. So Valentine's Day is my second favorite holiday of the year after Christmas, because it is an opportunity to be better than where so many people, so many and I won't even say women, because it's so many people are let down by their spouses and they deserve to feel love, They deserve to have somebody go out of their way and show them that they care.
Speaker 2: It's an excuse to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and you can, And I think that's what Wayne Kerr says, Like you can take care of your business in other days too, but it's still an opportunity to go above and beyond and to put a smile on someone's face. Valentine's Day is a good holiday. It's not just a marketing gimmick. I will say, it's annoying as hell. How high V I know that those twelve that those dozen roses are twenty dollars, except for this week when they go to thirty five. I see you capitalistic bastards doing that.
Speaker 2: I do think it's I think it's I think it's fraud.
Speaker 1: So this year was harder because I normally you normally have about two or three weeks beforehand to put in a reservation at a place for Valentine's Day, but this year it's on a Friday, so it was harder. I had to do it in mid January. And just pointing this out, two years from now, this super Bowl in twenty twenty seven is on Valentine's Day. I think the restaurants may be a little easier to get into on those days.
Speaker 2: Uh whatever, whatever city sees their team when the birthrate nine months from that night is going to be stupid.
Speaker 1: High, hopefully it's not Philadelphia. Then because boy, some of the police scanner too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We did it on a couch on fire in the street, guys.
Speaker 1: Yep, climbed a light pole. We were already all oiled up because you know they oil all the light poles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's normal, normal stuff.
Speaker 1: Totally normal to use the oil on the lamp post. And well December fourteenth, pop wam, I'm a dad way whoa Also Dick underscore, that was the baby coming out Land and.
Speaker 2: It wasn't okay okay, okay okay, And that's good. That's yeah, that's good and normal. I'm back.
Speaker 1: I'm back at Dick underscore. Taser also says is Valentine's Day just a holiday to set up to the landings of the world feel lonely?
Speaker 2: You see you see, mister Taser, mister Kerr, if you will?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I not normally normally I was extremely whatever about Valentine's Day, and even this year, I'm very still just whatever. I don't really care. But I had never flipped off Valentine's decore in a Walmart before until this year. A few weeks after, I was friend zoned by a girl that I like. Oh, so you know, it is what it is. We all go through it.
Speaker 1: Wow that I can't believe that that picture'd end up in the Land and Cam Ryan group chat. Come on, Land and what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I didn't take a picture. That'd be weird. It's normal to do it, it's weird to photograph it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what?
Speaker 2: What do I?
Speaker 1: What did? I always used to tell you? Because I am six years older than you, so you know, as you know, I'm a very mature and sophisticated individual. As you prove on this every day, some seasoned life advice gets offered occasionally. What did I always tell you it was perfectly acceptable to do on Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: Oh, send flowers to your mom? Yes, yes, a thing I haven't done and will never do.
Speaker 1: Well, then you know a what Land and I did my best? I want to know what at Wayne Underscore Kerr thinks it's Dick Underscore Taser. He's now Ku Push Up Club, He's no longer Wayne Kerr. I like that Dick Taser should Land and send flowers to his mom on Valentine's Day? And if he says yes, Landa, I think you should have to do it. That's the rules.
Speaker 2: Whatever whatever, I'll captain America fight you all at once.
Speaker 1: All right, now I'll ask you some basketball quite well. One more before that at rock chuk eighty four. What is the oldest photo on your camera roll that when you see it goes makes you go wow? I still wear that. Oh, it's got to be something sports like. It's got to be like a freakin' Jamal Charles Jersey whenever I was like fourteen years.
Speaker 2: Old, scrolling all the way to the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say. And so I'm a big sink my phone with like the all the pictures on my computer. I have thirty two thousand photos on here, and they are sinked and organized by folder, just because that's how my OCD and borderline autism riddled brain works. But so I have every I have all of the family photos on here. The oldest photo on my phone, the date says May one, nineteen ninety nine. I am four years old and we're in California on my first vacation. I do not still wear the Winnie the Pooh size one shirt that I'm wearing in that picture.
Speaker 2: Though. My oldest photo is from October one, twenty seventeen. No, it's older than that. I think that's when I switched it. This must be from like twenty has to be from like twenty fifteen. My guess it's an Olympic jacket. I have, like a red Olympic jacket. A Nike Jacket's pretty nice that I'm wearing in this photo and I'm like fifteen. It's still in my closet to this day. I don't wear it a ton, but I do occasionally.
Speaker 1: Well, and Landon, I will add something too. So my wife and I were talking about you earlier because I said, Landa's go's gonna call me, and then she had asked. She asked me a little bit about what had been going on in the last few weeks, which I told her everything that happened, and her exact words were, after thinking about it, she said, Landon's really cute. He'll have no problems, and then she went to the gym, so you can have. So. I don't know they're like the fact that.
Speaker 2: People who aren't your wife to think that, or other people's wives in general, because I'm not really about that, but I appreciate it. Angie, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you ever saw her name on the podcast?
Speaker 1: Surely I've yelled it in anger when she starts vacuuming down the hallway as I'm trying to do. I think I'm pretty sure that's that's why. That's why Valentine's nay matter so much. I have to make up for all the annoying, stupid things I do throughout the course of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, I appreciate your wife's sentiment.
Speaker 1: I will. I will pass along your appreciation, but Landon will eventually there will come a time on this podcast where you're like, I love Valentine's Day, Ryan, you were right the whole time, and I'm waiting for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, me too.
Speaker 1: The wheel reel too. Why does Landon pronounce nuclear as nuclear? Me focused questions here correct, yes, and he adds this is worse than fran for Schilla pronouncing Houston as Euston.
Speaker 2: Uh A, no, it's not. And be my bad. I guess do you say that?
Speaker 1: I never noticed that?
Speaker 2: Not that's eu Ler. I probably have said nuclear that that's how I say it, probably, which is wrong.
Speaker 1: Boy, you ought to hear me. What What are some of the words I've messed up over the years. I like I used.
Speaker 2: The two C mispronunciation as just something that's incorrect.
Speaker 1: For Kansas I love that matchup. Getting all the way off of this segment, I think I used to say allah instead of or I used to say a l a instead of Allah. You remember that.
Speaker 2: In what referenced in the God of Islam?
Speaker 1: Or no, like like saying uh whenever you're you're like, uh, you know the best holiday ever a la Valentine's Day? Oh oh, I see right, Yeah they got it wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: We're we're. The chemistry is off the charts here in this in this segment, I hope people are listening and not sad that Kansas has lost five of the last twelve games.
Speaker 2: Why not both.
Speaker 1: At AJ Stevenson, what do you see as a bigger barrier to postseason success from this team? A complete inability to play good basketball seems important? Or the fans who point out on social media that this team can't play good basketball pretty close, too close to call one.
Speaker 2: The first one would fix the second one, but the second one doesn't keep happen either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good way to word it. The first one would or would it if Kansas won? Ever, because the Chiefs win damn near every game and fans are still on Twitter like, uh, they only.
Speaker 2: Actually didn't have one hundred one hundred catches for a thousand yards this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just they really should reconsider the shuffling up the coaching staff after that. Sure, that's exactly what everyone says, which I don't know anybody who said they need to fire some coaches after a fifteen and two season land and please don't don't look at your texts at AJ Stevenson. In the last few weeks, KU has given up eighty one, eighty one, eighty seven and ninety two. Unrelated question, what other shots should kJ add to his arsenal? Have they really they've given up eighty in every game since kJ came back. That's true, I mean think about that.
Speaker 2: I did not really realize that.
Speaker 1: I guess they did against Iowa State that Iowa State one's the extraction here.
Speaker 2: True. That isn't good. I think kJ should work on shots that go in. I think he should work on shots that go in the basket. If I had to suggest shots.
Speaker 1: For him, well, I don't think it's the fact that he's not trying to do that. I think he's just not very good at it, which, uh, oh, well, when you say it like that, you know that's fair, you know, instead of landing it. Well, come on, no, don't kJ there is that better? That sounds seamless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was super good.
Speaker 1: Hey, then it's on par with the rest of my u with the rest of my editing. Here two more questions at show me Hawk. If there it feels like there's not a leader on this team might explain why they've lost every big road game they've played, create Missouri, Iowa State, Baylor, k State. Part of that is they're not a dominant team, and you're going to lose against the top road teams you play when you're not an elite level team. But a leader would help. And they have enough how many combined years of basketball experience this is starting five have? It's twenty, isn't it. It's more than that, it's like twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, a lot too many to be doing this. But yes, that part of it is they're not a lethal basketball team, so they're more susceptible to losing those games. But a leader would help. And finishing this off here at Elliott rus and H what would be your guys's suggestions to make this team more consistent? If you were the head coach, what would you do?
Speaker 2: All Right, go for it, play kJ like maybe twenty minutes a game, and mostly go I'd play a lot more Shack and Zeke as the point guard, with Dewan Harris playing more like twenty five minutes a game, and I don't always know who I'm rolling out there. I guess Florie's gonna play a lot more with Hunter, and we're gonna run a lot more solo Flory at the five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Florie's got to play more than kJ by a lot. Florie's got to play twice as many minutes as kJ, unless it's a depending on the matchup. I and yes, Dewe Harris can come to the bench like it's allowed. It is allowed, though I understand that I was banging my fists on the table for more to one Harris whenever he was in foul trouble. There are matchups where you need to want out there. There's like there's also somewhere I'm with you. I'd like to see Zeke Mayor run the point, and the Zeke Ryland Matt would be immense. I would very rarely pull them off the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys would play a lot, they'd play a lot together. I would even use David Koit a little bit more in some spots circumstances.
Speaker 1: Uh play Koit, Griffin, Mayo, Hunter and Floria together.
Speaker 2: That sounds fun to me.
Speaker 1: But not enough floor burns and not enough stops because when Kj's out there, they only give up sixty in the second half. Don't you see ye give up eighty plus four to five times if you and then there is one more here. Elliott says random question that I'm just curious about what other sports are you guys interested in that you already don't follow and would do so more if not for the others that you already do. I would like to watch hockey more. I've always said that if the if I could either have an NHL or an NBA team in Kansas City, I would take the NHL team because I feel like Kansas already does my basketball quota. But the reason I don't watch the NHL is it really isn't that accessible here, Like ESPN barely covers hockey, and there really isn't a team super close to the year, unless you count Saint Louis, which grows.
Speaker 2: So you get like some Blues games on local TV.
Speaker 1: Very rarely, and that's on the rebranding.
Speaker 2: Back have a lot of hockey games, though, Ryan, do they Okay? Well, I have a lot of NHL games.
Speaker 1: Okay, then maybe that's what I need to check in more. I follow the NBA as much as I'd want to. I always think I want to watch soccer more. I know that's a stake through your heartland, and then I just can't get into it. I try every four years. Yeah, but I feel like that that the answer is probably hockey. That's the one that I look at and think that would that would keep my entertainment for a while. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have followed hockey at different times. When I lived in Michigan, I watched a lot of the Red Wings. I loosely keep up with the Red Wings. I like, keep up with the standings and their scores and stuff. I don't watch almost any of the games follow. As I have talked about on the show before, Northern Michigan University having their worst ever season five and twenty four in hockey this year, which is.
Speaker 1: Very different like season from extreme their hockey team.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, very very bad. I think so hockey. Hockey probably would be the answer, Like you. I just if another one of my interests just dropped off the planet, hockey would be right there. Tennis might be the one where I've I've loosely gotten into tennis in brief spurts. I watched like the Wimbledon final between Djokovic and al KaAZ like two years ago, and that was electric. But I can't consistently get into it. But that is very much If I really like dedicated to getting into it, I think I'd think it's a lot of fun because I think tennis is actually sneaky, great to watch.
Speaker 1: Well, and that so fun. Fact, for those of you who have listened, Nick wipert very good tennis player.
Speaker 2: He's a very solid tennis player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how he has the patience for it because it looks exhausting and difficult. I'm much more of a sit there and eat doritos while I watch other people play the sports kind of guy. But yeah, well, we'll see how it goes whenever. One day, hopefully the Kansas City has an NHL team, and maybe it'll get hot enough here well they'll start playing seasonal tennis tournaments here in the wintertime because climate change. Well have you seen it just kidding. It's supposed to snow a freaking foot. Just somebody shoot me.
Speaker 2: Damnit, damn it, damn it.
Speaker 1: If you ever have asked GARCBS use the Twitter hashtag climate change debate, you just to please don't do that. Yeah, don't do that. Well, okay, so here's what here's what Cam said. Cam said he's excited to listen to the next show when it opens with Kansas eighty four Colorado seventy nine, Landon. I felt more encouraged than the discourage from this one. How about you? And Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard at that. That was so hilarious. The only thing missing is this music, because Wow, if this game leaves us feeling more encouraged than discouraged, they better have won by a million. Colorado at number seventeen Kansas on Tuesday to eleven at eight pm. This is Colorado's only remaining non ESPN Plus game.
Speaker 2: I think because they are atrocious and hopeless Ryan the Colorado Buffaloes. They're nine and fourteen, an ESPN Plus worthy record. They have zero wins and twelve l's in Big twelve play, but their due, so I've been hearing they have not won a game since December twenty first, oh my god, Hey, that was before I was friend zoned. That was a long time ago. When they beat Bellermine, their nine victories are eight by opponents, and somehow Yukon, I know, Yukon is probably not gonna three peat, much like the Chiefs Colorado. Beating Yukon is absurd.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I knew that that was a layoup, I knew you'd slam that home, but I was I was ready to say, Oh, I wonder who else didn't three pete? Anybody know just that total ass whipping the buffalo. So I just randomly, like we had about ten people over in the family room and they range in age from I guess like seventeen to eighty, and right when no one really knew what to say, when Mahomes threw the pick in the end zone and Philly immediately scored, it made it twenty four to nothing, and just it was quiet for about eight seconds and the only thing that come up with is wow, this is asked to our belt to ass just straight.
Speaker 2: And then it was that.
Speaker 1: It was quiet for several seconds after that, as everybody kind of pondered that that is that is what everybody has done to poor Colorado this year because the Buffalo's best player, like it matters, is point guard Julian Hammond. That's true. We're definitely really we should be careful here where we tread.
Speaker 2: This is where we did against UCF, where we're like, oh, they have some players, I guess, and then they lost in Orlando.
Speaker 1: I do remember that, though. I think this Colorado team is worse. I think this is the worst Big twelve team since, like seriously since the since that TCU team, according.
Speaker 2: To which also went super well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say that was also a of a basketball game there. Picked up an uber order today doing my job at Burger King, and the guy ordered to set whoppers and the song went through my head. And much like the Jardians commercial, they've changed the original beautiful musical score and now it's just not the same.
Speaker 2: That is the most on brand for you thing in the world to compare the Burger King add to the Jardians.
Speaker 1: I like the Jardians ad. I like when the postman starts singing too, and then they changed it and now it's just not Yeah, it's not even Also, by the way, leading question Land and hashtag GASCARCV. Should Big Pharma be allowed to advertise these these gigantic pharmaceutical proscription on cable TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, capitalism until we die, baby.
Speaker 1: Hey, it sounds like you and RFK have a few things in common.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else about Julian Hamm and you'd like to tell me?
Speaker 1: Julian Hammon averages fourteen points and three assists. He is a good three point shooter, a very good one actually forty percent. Javon Ruffan, RJ Smith and White Guy of the Year candidate Sebastian his friends call him Sea Bass, Rankick are the other wings of note. Also, Javon Ruffin is an excellent name. He can be right next to Gisel James on the All Big twelve teams.
Speaker 2: Those are good ones. Colorado is a big team. Their best big is six ' eight three man Andre Jakimovski, who hails from Macedonia. He averages ten and four and is a solid thirty five percent from behind the arc four man Benga Dack and seven footer Elijah Malone Maloney both average about eight and four. Colorado has a handful of guys that are six ' nine and taller. None of them have particularly good rebounding numbers, though, so maybe hundred Dickinson will eat down low.
Speaker 1: I have looked at a lot of college basketball reference pages, and it has been a very long time since I've seen a team as bad on offense as Colorado. They are just terrible outside the top two seventy in points scored, and whenever you think of how many buy games they played, that should legitimately be impossible, but here they are. Their interior offense is especially awful. They shoot a mediocre thirty four percent from deep, so they're not as bad as you think they'd be from there. They can make threes, it's just they get nothing inside the arc. They're a good free throw shooting team, though at seventy six percent. Don't want to foul them a lot. Their rebounding numbers are terrible despite having a lot of size. Their pace is among the slowest in the country, so not only are they bad, they're also unwatchable. And they average average fifteen turnovers per game, which the leads.
Speaker 2: Oh bad.
Speaker 1: Not only does it lead all Power five teams, but it's not even freaking close, like that is an impossible amount to turn the ball over. Consistently in Power five play.
Speaker 2: Kansas has also to just curb our enthusiasm all the way to the top. Here. They've been hilariously dominant against Colorado all time, especially at Allen field House. The Jayhawks have won a truly unfathomable thirty six straight games against this team at Allen, dating back to nineteen eighty three. Obviously, Colorado was in the Big twelve for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Also, the last year Kansas lost three straight games the case.
Speaker 2: Date though, Wow, wow, that's crazy. History may repeat itself, not.
Speaker 1: Anymore, It's not sure anymore. Twenty twenty five is now. The last time that happened.
Speaker 2: True, Bill self is twenty and one against the Buffaloes, and the one loss came on a Pac twelve buzzer beater when Colorado had joined the Pac twelve. Yeah, I remember that game. That was in the Wiggans year, the first year of this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the first sign that things weren't going to go very well for that team. And then you blink and March comes up and their best NBA prospect is hurt and the team has double digit losses. Oh, being a Kansas fan has gotten so much more sin has gotten so much more fun since right right, but.
Speaker 2: Never happened again, Nothing similar to that happens.
Speaker 1: That's then basically Colorado is Drake and Bill's self is Kendrick Lamark. This is just not even This isn't even fun. They got him once and Kansas is like, okay, we don't even care. Travis Goff also announced via presser this morning that if Kansas loses this game, he will fire bomb Allen field House himself.
Speaker 2: Boy, I mean, we set ourselves up here. I don't think there's any way on this earth Kansas loses this game. Coming off the case eight loss. I think Kansas wins eighty six to sixty.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you think they show their fangs a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think they take care of business pretty easily here.
Speaker 1: What do you think the spread is? It just came out.
Speaker 2: Minus twelve and a half.
Speaker 1: It is minus eighteen. Kansas is eighteen point favorite in a home conference game, and proving points that Cam will sprinkle a few dollars on Colorado plus twelve one hundred to win. That is not at all how that mast should work. That should be like plus thirty five hundred. But that's how Vegas makes their money. You'd have to wager one hundred dollars on Kansas to win to make believe it would be three dollars and thirty three cents. Oh, yes, don't do it, Just don't do it. ESPN gives Colorado a six percent chance to win the game. Yeah, Kansas by a lot. Like their offense will look great, They'll make a lot of threes, the defense will look great. This is yeah, you said eighty six to sixty something like that, eighty seven fifty seven. Like they are gonna just wipe the floor clean with this team, and it will mean nothing because then they'll go to Utah and be in a nail bider with two minutes left on Saturday. That's next, by the way, nine pm Utah road tip coming on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what we'll be remembered as the Mormon stretch of the schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get the two Utah schools with Colorado on both ends of it. I think other Big twelve games Baylor at number six, Houston. We said all the time Baylor loses the games that they should lose. This feels like one of them. Houston at home, yep, number ten Iowa State hits the road to play UCF feels like a prime recipe for Iowa State to score ninety eight points.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna say UCF is slightly tempting here until I remember that they can't stop anybody ever, So Iowa State will win.
Speaker 1: Yep. Utah at Cincinnati. Holy gross, I guess we're going Cincinnati for three in a row.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Utah is gonna get that look ahead to Kansas thing, right, that's gonna that's gonna get them off their game. BYU at West Virginia probably the Mountaineers at home, but no one's gonna watch this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are maybe the two most shrug games of all time. But West Virginia really interesting game here.
Speaker 1: Number thirteen. Arizona at Kansas State. So look, I want to pick Kansas State really really bad in this game. I think Arizona is due to lose and Case State is firecracker hot. But just we know how Case State goes right after they beat Kansas This feels like a twenty two points in the first half sort of game for them. I will reluctantly pick Arizona in this game of wildcats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this this like Arizona feels so primed to lose a game like this, but case State off the Kansas win, Like, are they gonna get two top twenty wins back to back?
Speaker 1: It'd be three out of four too, because if Iowas yeah.
Speaker 2: Yep, I am gonna want to do it, but you really say I'm gonna ride with k State, give it?
Speaker 1: I get tell ema all right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Oklahoma State at TCU, Gross, that's the most unwatchable game of the week. Horn Frogs. I guess Jamie Dixon gets back to five hundred yep. Arizona State at number twelve. Texas Tech feels like a drobbing is an order here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Texas Tech by thirty ish.
Speaker 1: Other games number five, Tennessee at number fifteen, Kentucky. I will lead off and pick the valls. One of my favorite things to do. What do I always say, one of my favorite things to do from a betting angle in this land? Do you remember, yeah, when.
Speaker 2: When one team wins on the road, uh, and they have the return game, pick the road team again, yep.
Speaker 1: Especially whenever the team that lost at home the first time is really good. This doesn't work whenever Kansas beats Colorado on the road, and then and then Colorado comes down in field house doesn't work there. But in this case, yes, Tennessee's very good. I will pick them to win and rup I.
Speaker 2: Am gonna take Kentucky here to get off of Schneid've. They've played some very up and down basketball. Well, they beat Missippi State by a lot, but I'll take them to win here.
Speaker 1: Number three Florida at number twenty.
Speaker 2: There's so many schools in all these conferences now, and.
Speaker 1: It was South Carolina because South Carolina hasn't won a game yet. They are the Colorado of the SEC.
Speaker 2: Which is still means they're a lot better than Colorado because the SEC way better, yoked.
Speaker 1: Way better. Number three Florida at number twenty two Mississippi State. I'll go the upset here. Feels like a good spot to pick the Bulldogs. Florida off the emotional high.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 1: Number seven per Due at number twenty, Michigan battle for first in the Big Ten. I will take the home team, yep. Number two Alabama at Texas. Is this it just in there for s's and g's. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think it'll be maybe a little closer than you think, But I think Alabama will win.
Speaker 1: I think Alabama's best team in the country. I'll pick them to win every day of the week. Yukon at Creighton, entertaining game for second place in the Big East. I think that Creighton has a little bit more sasas about them. I'll take the Blue Jays at home yep, number No nothing here. Oklahoma at number twenty one Missouri. I chose this game because we know that Oklahoma isn't very good against top twenty five teams, so it's probably easy just to pencil in a Missouri pick. But how confident are you in Missouri not folding down the stretch. They've never been in this spot. They've now lost too in a row, both of them games that they were in. Do we trust them to get off the schnid.
Speaker 2: Here against Porter Moser I do, I do.
Speaker 1: But it wouldn't surprise me. It really wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: They will put Porter thirteen and Ohero non con play three and seven in conference play on his tombstone and number nine Saint John's at Villa Nova. I will go upset city here and pick the Wildcats. Eventually that Johnny's are gonna a game. So many wins in a row off an emotional high.
Speaker 2: Give me Saint John's. I think they might just be actually really good.
Speaker 1: So it's you and I again on Thursday night. I'll be your Valentine's date. I guess to a certain extent when we talked about Cannas beating Colorado.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll I mean, by definition, it will be one of the best, if not the best Valentine's date I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Well, I look forward to you being able to answer that whenever you're still on season twenty three of Inside the Paint down the Road and I ask you, what are your best Valentine?
Speaker 2: Far more deeply dire than than.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Inside the Paint first ever one hundred minute episode of this show. Good Lord, I am Ryan.
Speaker 2: Landred, I'm Landing Fields.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'll talk to you on Valentine's Day, land and have a good week.
Speaker 2: See them pal by Cam