Speaker 1: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and carn S e O and JP sorrows He's a lapsed fan. In all my years and wrestling, I've never seen anything like.
Speaker 2: Rop kicking.
Speaker 3: It's the laps Fan Man number one in the ring begin about.
Speaker 4: Osada, a real king of swing when the bell.
Speaker 3: Goes hang and a kick like me throming in the corner with its rash like stick. Even Jerry King can say off the crown nodded in his head like Steve low Brown?
Speaker 4: Would you get low down for me?
Speaker 3: Go even high up?
Speaker 4: Trip you on your head? But you no cool drivel?
Speaker 3: You speaking monology and dragon slits fire if you more shot than the edge retires dropping more truth than the conn of sniper unless you would a coconut Roddy Piper out, Jack and JP. You a j wat d drop a cupcakes and got the brain Bob Beans. The best podcast from start the close file of Your Benefit fah fickt Polls.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: This is part two of our conversation with Brian Penry, who was the WWF's creative director from nineteen eighty four to nineteen eighty seven and created so many iconic visuals that we associate with the absolute boom period of the WWF and in the mid eighties from the WWF logo that we all know and a door to the WrestleMania logo Saturday Night's Main Event logo, as you recall last time we were with you. That's what put our scent on the trail of Brian because he's listed in the credits on the very first Saturday Night's Main Event as the logo designer. So we simply had to find out if he was available, and my god, did we luck out because Brian has fought Boss a font of wisdom and memories of.
Speaker 6: My god, it's it's absolutely incredible. Some some stories I was not expecting at all. I mean not that I was affecting any stories, to be honest, but I mean just I knew we would go in certain on certain trails, so to speak. But man, already, I'm amazed at kind of the the places we've already gone to, and I can't sound for more such a wild place to work. If you do want to remind our listeners that Brian is going to be available, if you want to go meet him, you can check him out at gamer Con Connecticut. It's coming up with the Mohegan Sun Casino on Saturday and Sunday, March fifteenth and sixteenth. Brian will be in his own booth in the Artists Ali and he'll have signed to numbered prints of the WrestleMania logo available. So you really want to stop by and say hi to Brian, let him know you heard him on the podcast, and check out his stuff. Just go online to ctgamercan dot com, Ctgamercon dot com for more information on the venue and the event, and Brian really looks forward to seeing everybody there. Brian, we're just getting started. It feels like after a wonderful array of stories and personalities, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks yet, glad to be well.
Speaker 5: We talked about the creative director role, and I guess I want to get a little bit more into what exactly the creative director does. How Titan defined the role, because honestly, we expected to just talk about low go in graphic design, but you're giving us hands that you were involved in designing costumes for some of the wrestlers, involved in designing WWF's print publications. Now the magazine laid out, So give us an idea of what all a creative director does and what Vince tasked you with in these formative days.
Speaker 4: Well, the term creative director originally comes from the advertising industry, but you find it in other industries as well. And ad agencies originally were my background. But you know, in a typical ad agency you have designers and copywriters who work under copy directors and art directors, all of whom work under the guidance and oversight of what's called a creative director or CD. And I, you know, I experienced that background. I was far from a CD. I was a working proll. I was the guy doing paste uff. I wasn't even a designer when I started out, But you know, and paste up the term is run over now by everything being done on computer. So, but my role at the w w F was really all encompassing. There was that print design aspect of creative direction. And you know, there were actually billboards done at times for the w w F. It was interesting. They weren't they weren't public billboards that you would see out on the highway, but they were. They were billboards inside of the ad agencies. It was really quite interesting. We just did all manner of kinds of things. But as you pointed out, yeah, I worked on the WF w w F magazine and on occasion I illustrated covers. You may recall it as a cover with sergeants Slaughter and a Christmas sleigh issue. That was one of my illustrations.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, did you do the rowdy Piper Christmas cover too? Oh yeah, yeah, and Hogan on the sleigh with all the baby faces behind him and the Christmas catalog. All those are wonderful drawings.
Speaker 4: That kind of thank you, that kind of caricature fun look was was my signature. And yeah, poor Roddy so longer with us. But uh, I run into Slaughter now and then at comic cons and so forth, and but yeah, I would. I would make recommendations on costumes. Uh, you're just in a in a in a very general stylistic way. And then you know, sometimes I would go out and find the actual seamstress or in the instance of the of the guys at the Equestrian shop to create the details of a costume and so forth, and I art directed photo shoots. That that was a big deal. I mean, the real prose would would would know how to pose on their own and have their own very distinctive style of of how they were posing, uh just for solo shots or in relation to other wrestlers, for promotional shots for you know, leading up to events and so forth. But it was it was really fun when when Cindy Wauper was managing Wendy Richter, things like that, I would our direct photoshoots with Cindy the guests for various WrestleManias, including Muhammad Ali. You know, just it was fascinating that that was a really really fun period working on that. All aspects like that. But just the fact that I do illustration and I write copy. I didn't write. I wrote some of the copy for the original program, the first WrestleMania one program, but that wasn't something that I did generally that the public would see. But I would write copy for what what you would call trade brochures that went out to other networks to potent sponsors. We did tremendous amounts of advertising in the trade so to speak, to attract advertisers, television advertisers to sponsor the shows. That kind of thing, that sort of copywriting of was in charge of.
Speaker 5: In addition to the graphic, that's a lot of responsibility. Yeah, that's wide ranging. We'll get we'll get more into some of your memories of some memorable w W photo shoots because there's a lot of stuff that came out of the magazine and just in pop culture in general. Is WWF just raised its profile so much that you had a hand in. So look forward to talking about some of those photo shoots. But you've mentioned the WrestleMania logo and we can't leave that unaddressed in more detail. I mean, that's another one that endures to this day and JP that WrestleMania logo is where it's at.
Speaker 6: Well again, the shiny metallic look, that chrome look that you were describing regarding the original WWF logo, it's I mean, these are these are logos that for me as a fan from you know, starting in the early nineties, I was late to that golden era, and these are logos that I still cherish, like, this is what I kind of want wrestling and to be all the time. This is what I want the logos to look like. It's absolutely spectacular, and you've created designs that are kind of symbolic for a lot of people's childhood.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, tell us about that Wrestlming a logo.
Speaker 4: Brian, you guys are making me blush a little.
Speaker 2: It seriously is like, you know, that's that's always it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you. I mean, designing anything is a is a process. And typically, if I were going to design a logo for a company and that that is pretty much the kind of thing I do all the time. I'm gonna want to sit down and understand the company and what they're all about and every little nuance of what they're about and try to make something that just at a glance, projects an image that's accurate to what they're all about. Now, I was already in the game. I'm behind the scenes. I knew what the product was. I understood the wrestling and the wrestling mentality, and you know, let me just talk about that for a minute, because I think, I mean, this has been said a million times before and depressed, but I don't think the core impetus that the emotion behind watching pro wrestling goes away, and some people just never really think about it. They just watch it, they love it, they get a kick out of it. But when you think about it, it all starts with something like having a brother in law that you can't stand, like this right. The guy can't hold a job, he's a jerk, he's not very nice to your sister. Basically, you want to take him out in an alley when no one's looking to show him, but the consequences. And then there's the boss that is just obnoxious, and no matter how hard you work, that boss will be critical and just set some sort of goal that's absurd that none of the employees can you know, rise to let alone you. So you, similarly, you want to take your boss out. You just want to haul off and slug the guy. Obviously there's consequences. You probably wouldn't be working there much longer. And you know, so what you align with the babyface, and you confect that bad guy brother in law, boss schmuck that cut you off in traffic with a heel, and you project all your anger and your angst about these jerks in your life onto these jerks in the ring, and you just sit back and have a beer and revel in the fact that the babyface of your choice is just taking the varnish offs the guy that you can't stand. It's so great. And here's the big mind blowing thing. This is the basis of Greek tragedies and plays. Four thousand years ago, guy in a toga figured this out. So imagine Vince in a toga.
Speaker 5: WrestleMania nine. I think he wore a toge on TV one time. I don't know if you know that, Brian.
Speaker 4: It's that basic. It's that basic. And what you're really doing is you're giving people an outlet so we're not killing each other daily. It's brilliant. I think, you know, Oh, what's that Peace Prize out.
Speaker 5: Of Nobel Peace Prize?
Speaker 4: What is it? What do they call it?
Speaker 5: The the Nobel Prize, Bell, the Nobel Yeah.
Speaker 4: They should give the Nobelt Evince. They think not anymore.
Speaker 5: But I take your point. Maybe once upon a time, but the WrestleMania logo was so reflective of all we're talking about here.
Speaker 4: I digress. I apologize, but I kind of started at that, not like, Okay, this is apex, this is the high pinnacle of wrestling. WrestleMania is going to take all this energy and all this blood, sweat and tears up to this high, high, high plateau where this is going to take place. So this logo really has to be something. It has to be masculine, it has to be commanding and exciting, and above all, it needs to be powerful. It has to look like if it were a hammer, it could just take you out with one whack. So I kept with a metallic finish that we had with the WWS logo, but I stylized it a little more. I thought, you know, it all starts with an M and a W. So the M and the W were gold, and they have these breath growing out of their tops and bottoms, so that horizontally frames the other characters in the words WrestleMania. So you know, the R through the E and the A through the A and Mania are silver, and so there you've got the contrast. And again, you know, this photoshop was not even a glimmer in somebody's eye back at this point. And so I would pencil out very very tightly the exact dimensions and the with height, very precise proportions of the type characters, and the original this thing was maybe twenty five twenty eight inches across. It wasn't that huge, but I mean, this has to work on a work on a drawing board. And I subcontracted an airbrush artist, phenomenally talented guy named James Kritz and Jim no longer is with us on the planet, unfortunately. But this this guy allent and his little finger than most people build up in their lifetime. I mean, he was just gifted beyond belief. And I'm just joking a little bit here. I mean, he was a great guy. But Jim would be the first to tell you that. And there was there was a joke art director, creative director. You know, people that did what I did around Fairfield County, New York, we all would get together, so I used to blind us some associations of people that are in the same business. And the joke was, if you want to know how good Jim Kritz is, just ask Jim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, he was.
Speaker 4: I got to tell you. If somebody was had license to brag, it was him. He he wasn't obnoxious about it. He said, Oh, he was the kind of guy he would come in your office to show you what he just you're gonna love this, You're gonna love this. He just wouldn't stop extolling his own virtues, you know that kind of thing. But when he showed you, you just felt backwards because he was phenomenally talented. And but but here was here was the downside. And he had done several projects building up to WrestleMania for me. But he was that kind of guy that I learned very quickly. I had given him a pretty tight deadline on something. Granted I can't remember what it was, a week, ten days or something, and this wasn't something you did, did overnight and brought back. I got what I needed two weeks later, and I had to reschedule the promotion that it was for. And you can't. You can't do that kind of thing. You can't run a business that way. And I was I was very stern with him, to the point of just almost threatening, We're not going to do this again if you can't get this together. And I didn't go to the length of saying something like that, but I wanted to make clear that he understood. So I just sort of played a game I hate playing. I actually had a four week window to get the This wasn't the WrestleMania logo itself, but it was the cover of the WrestleMania program WrestleMania one, with Hulk and Mister T on the cover. And there's a story right there about photographing those two. If you recall, on the inside back cover opposite page. On the left, there's a photo of Hulk and mister t with the old Twin Towers in the background. I have a story to tell about that. Just taking that photo was a feat. But the cover of that program was was all important, that that was a big deal it was. It was also used promotion prior to the show, so it wasn't just the cover of the program. And I had I had exactly four weeks in actuality, but I told them I needed it in two, and I said, don't screw me around now. I mean, there's a lot of machine machinery and wheels turning towards this event. It's mind bogglingly complicated, and you cannot do what you did before and another gig. I need this art in hand because then I'm going to do some drybrush detailing on it, and it needs to be scanned, and it needs to be printed along with this program. By the hundreds of thousands that we reprinted, way more programs than just for the event. They were they were sold as keepsakes and so on and so forth after the fact. So what happens at the third week. I'm biting my nails. I'm freaking out I'm like, what's going on. I'm working on it. I'm working at it, I kid you, not two days before my drop dead. And that's if nothing else goes wrong and the printing plant doesn't burn down while the thing's on press or whatever. I just I think I started going prematurely gray when I was thirty nine. That would have been that that time, thereabouts thirty eight, something like that. I'm like this, this guy's killing me. And the trouble is he had he had done some crazy gigs. He painted murals inside the jets of Saudi Arabian chikhs. They would they would contract him to do these these Greckel Roman murals on the inside private jets and these salons, and he'd work on these for like weeks on end months whatever. And if the guy had to go somewhere, he use another jet in the fan or whatever. You know, no problem. I'm sure you guys do the same thing like I do. You know, if someone's painting my jet, I'll use my brother. But that's the world he lived in, and he had these almost endless deadline things where he just took a sweet time, and so he wasn't very good about deadlines. But The illustration was just an utter and complete knockout. You may recall it. I have all of one copy in my own personal files. They're hard to come by, but I'll tell you, he just he just took it right down to the bare bones. And I'd done a lot with him. I used him for one project after that where I didn't have a very tight deadline. But it just drove me crazy. He was so good, but and I appreciate all the time and effort he put into it, but it was it made the thing so damn stressful. It was. It was really really tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the unique thing of working in a creative capacity at a company like this. There's this like this day where everything has to be on the rails, and this is their first kind of venture with this kind of scale, so everyone's it doesn't necessarily have the reps in now. Are you describing I'm trying to picture this brighter? Are you describing the picture of Hulk and Mister t that's on the cover of the Coliseum video release of WRESTLINGIA one where they sort of look I don't know, how would you describe a JP kind of like bronzed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it looks almost almost like a drawing Photographyeah right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no it's not a photograph.
Speaker 5: Oh I assumed it was justled over or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's krits Is that good? That? Wow? That was airbrush. That was done airbrush. And then I did these minute little yeah, pitpoint highlights on top of on top of his highlights to just contrast it even brighter before we scanned it. And and that that also has the ring ropes or red white and blue with sort of an electrical this thing going down the rope. Yeah. Yeah, we're talking about the same illustration. Yeah, that that was There were a few sleepless lights lights there where I was having bad dreams about running down the streets, you know, naked being chased by rabbit dot Vincent sicked on me because I blew the deadline. That was creepy and just quickly.
Speaker 5: You know what I love about this this image because it's so they've never really tried, and maybe because it's just the remarkable talents it took to pull it off to present their wrestlers like this again, you know, usually the way the rest is are presented, they they really pop, their eyes are wide, they're sort of they're trying to basically make these people look like cartoon characters. This is like kind of more of a class presentation. Like I was always taken with how Holt's hand is like present nting mister T. You know, he's not pointing at you, he's not menacing and growling and snarling. I thought that was such a cool, kind of counterintuitive way to present them for this, this this debut of WrestleMania.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and and and and and in fairness to Jim, you know, bless his heart. He he drove me a little crazy, but he also made me pretty happy. He made me very proud. His work was just extraordinary. He is to be honored, you know, for what the class and the and the pomp and circumstance he bought to the whole thing. He was a hell of an illustrator. Yeah, he did rob me of some sleep.
Speaker 5: But fair absolutely this is Please go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you the interesting thing about that photo opposite the inside back cover. Vince wanted to get some sort of grand image with New York City in the background, right, And I mean there's just no no planning here, none, And it's it's crazy scheduling because you know, hulks in demand. He's wherever he is for for shows. He's just living in and out of a car and a plane, going between point A and point B all over the place. Same thing with mister t He you know, this was in the A Team era, and he's he was, you know, a big deal in his own right. And he was actually a very nice guy. You know, every time you see him portrayed in character, he's he's this tough dude he was. I mean, yeah, he's a formidable character when you see him face to face. But he was just, you know, very polite and mild mattered when you you know, met him in person, and he's he's not in character. And I think it's like a quarter to four, four point thirty something like that. In an afternoon, Vince calls down to my office says, I got Taylor. He's gonna shoot. I want you to our direct. We're going into the city. I got a hunk, I got no time. They just had to move heavy the nurse to get him in the same place at the same time. We're gonna meet down at the Empire State Building and shoot on top of the building. I said, does anybody at the Empire State Building know about this. No, just get your ass in there. Yes, that's it. I'm like, what okay, So I just grab everything, jump in my car, drive down to the city. Thank god, we actually had the infancy of cell phones then barely so anyway, Actually, no, I think I got yeah, I think I think they got my first I had. I had an in car cel phone. I think that was that. I got that. Yeah. I don't think we did have a phone. It was just it was mayhem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm in the lobby of the Empire State Building and there are elevators up to the what did they call it there, there's a there's a term for that, the this gallery where you could see out around the city.
Speaker 7: They have that's almost yeah, yeah, but they have a skywalk or something like that where the public goes to view the city from from the top of the building.
Speaker 4: Very Vince has a whole other vision in mind. And so I see Vince and Nelson. Nelson's get this look on the face. Tell me about it. It's like he's caught off guard. This is one of Vince's last minute wing dans that you never know what's going to happen. This is very typical stuff like this would just happen pretty much all the time.
Speaker 5: So, Brian, did you ride up the elevators with Hogan and Tea and what did that create a scene?
Speaker 4: Oh well, here's here's the deal. It's thinning out. It's like quarter to five now, and people are mostly elevators are just coming down, Tourists are spilling out. Steve's there, Nelson camera, Cruise sound guy, myself, Vince and Al and Tea, and Vince pulls out a lot of hundreds, with which you know, I'm sure like me, You guys, everybody you know, you get up in the morning, you pick up your wallet, you pick up your phone, and a lot of hundreds. I mean, we we all do that, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the million Dollar Man gimmick was based on him handing out cash.
Speaker 4: But but seriously, we're just thinking, how are we going to pull this off? No, no, no formal contact with anybody that's a building manager. I mean, you don't just wander into a place like that and take command of the situation. Uns. So there's this little dude, I don't even think he spoke English who operated the elevator. He could barely speak English. Vince whips out a hundred and said, going up. Wow, guy's got a six inch grin. All of a sudden, everybody piles into the elevator, the camera crew. It's just it's just insane.
Speaker 5: Okay, So so Vince glided the path there. You didn't have to deal with mobs necessarily.
Speaker 4: The guy the guy. But but this is the magic of this whole kind of thing, because you get to the top, it opens into that gallery viewing area or whatever they call it. There's a couple of guys, a security guy who's all up in arms, then swips out another one hundred, a couple hundred, another guy like, oh, oh, there's the mister t They're like, they're all excited. He says, I don't want to shoot near I want to be outside. I'm going to go on top where the microwave dishes are and they'll look at each other. So we have to go up another flight and thee there and we're actually on top of the freaking building. And you know, you see microwave dishes and that kind of stuff all over the place, and they've been around for decades, but you can't really safely stand next to these things. They can fry your gonads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're making some noise, yeah, some worrying.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like this when you're standing eight feet away and you got you got dozens of these things around you and it's just going and you think, oh god, it's just weird. And Steve's looking at me like I was planning to have kids, and I said me too. It's it was really the weirdest. We set that shoot up faster than you could make a pop tart. I mean we were we were just scrambling because it's really not safe to be up there that close to these things when they're alive. It was just the weirdest deal. And Nelson his guys, they shot very brief video footage and I came up with this. I can't remember what the exact wording was, but the headline on the photo was the oh yeah, it was the Twin Towers, I mean, referring to mister T and Hulk with the World Trade Center in the background. The spoof being that the World Trade Center was known as the Twin Towers, but in this case the twins were the boys, so that that was the caption on the photo in the program. But just capturing that photo was a matter of paying off all this all this, you know, elevator operator and security personnel in the building, and Vince did what he had to do. But but it was between that and just the fact that these guys were so enamored that mister T and Hulk were actually there and they were they were making this possible. But the hundred dollars uh, you know payoff was just sort of like icing on the cake. They were just enjoying being there and meeting these guys. So it was fascinating. But it's a real name fighter because I just said, man, if we don't get this shot, what are we gonna do. We're gonna have to go to the Syde text machine and guys and you know, with a stock photo or something. It's just this this was this this kind of last minute crazy, you know, do or die approach to doing things was just garby gur It was you know, a given. It was how things are done. You know, you got with a program and became part of it and went along with it and made it happen, or you get off the train.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's so funny because you look at so many of these promotional materials and how they up their game from a you know, just a promotion perspective around this time, just you know, everything looked more polished and professional and you would think that maybe, you know, that's because now they have more time to be more studious and planning ahead and taking their time and not at all now. It's just it's almost a small miracle as some of the stuff came off with such polish.
Speaker 6: It's it's so surprising that it was such gorilla style, uh you know production, you know, like just a.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, They've always kind of and they stuck with that spirit forever. I'm in sure now it's much more you know, professionalized as far as like permit pulling and stuff. But they would just show up and shoot scenes and places that the people that were there their heads would spend. They'd be in and out, you know, and shot somebody going any idea what that was about.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that level of energy and excitement around this is still there to that level, because I don't know that you could do this this day and age unless it was a totally different new shtick of some sort that somebody came up with that was you know, just all encompassing for the public's imagination. But these characters were literally bigger than life. And it wasn't it wasn't a Marvel comic kind of thing where that's completely contrived. These are actual people, actual, really big people. And you know, I mean but that that was just so sensational. That but between Vince cajoling people with a couple of bucks here in there, and just the fact that he had these guys in tow and you could just you know, see them right there or they shake your hand, you know whatever. It was just mind blowing and people people would just pitch in and make it work no matter what. It was wild. And that reminds me the first time meeting Hulk. You know, I'm I don't know, I'm about five five ten, five ten and a half something like that. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not little guy. But you know, the first time I met Hulk and we shook hands, his grip grabs it's like halfway up my forearm.
Speaker 5: Wow, and.
Speaker 2: Big dudes, it was.
Speaker 4: It was as comical. I was getting a kick out of it, you know, And he was as nice as he could be. And I remember the first time meeting Andrea, I don't know where my hand went. His group engulfed my arm practically up to my elbow.
Speaker 5: Well, you're just lucky you didn't get an oil check, Brian. I don't know if you know what those are, but Andrea was famous for those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, that I would have been in I would have been in a jar.
Speaker 2: Well I assume you were familiar with his flatulence.
Speaker 4: Well there, you know, you say that so kindly. Yeah, you know, I'll tell you something about that guy. He he was really fascinating in his own way. And you know, it's just it's kind of weird even I how do you put it? How do you put it? He he had a completely different upbringing from ninety nine percent of the guys that make it into the ring as a programmer. I'm in whether whether you're with whether you whether you're with WWF or whichever syndicate whatever. You know, a lot of these guys came from nothing. They grew up in a trailer park. They you know, they barely scratched a living together doing some kind of bront work or everything from being a lumberjack to a truck driver to uh, you know whatever. Uh, I'm not knocking that one bit. You know, their they're you know, salt of the earth guys. Andre on the other hand, he was born to a very very wealthy family and you can find a lot online that they were farmers. Somebody threw in a lot of crap to uh tone that down. His family raises the French equivalent of the finest race horses in this country that you're you're you're going to find at the Belmont.
Speaker 5: Such a huge, huge ranch in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he grew up.
Speaker 4: He grew up in a very well healed world. And in other words, he didn't come to this because he had to or you know, it was some sort of goal he needed to attain to make money. He didn't need money. It was like reverse psychology. It was it was like where you know, the the average rust event is very curious about the guy in the ring and what they're all about. There. There there's some I don't I don't mean to make them sound like some sort of circus attraction, but they are, in a manner speaking, an oddity of a sort. They're not normal like you and me. These are big people, and they're people that are still despite their girth and their height and their weight, they're still agile. They're able to do things that most people couldn't do if they worked out twenty four to seven. They're amazing people, they really are. And Andre suffered from gigantism. Everybody knows this. He had oversized organs and that's what ultimately took his life. It's very sad. He had a very very serious medical condition. And he knew he was an oddity. That's the thing. He knew. He was a really strange guy to most people. And he was curious about the audience's curiosity is intellectual in a way, and he was sort of fascinated by the fact that he was fascinating the other pe and he got in the ring to just sort of see to peer out from the ring out at everyone else. I mean, think about that. It's kind of it's kind of wacky. It's interesting, you know. And I'll tell you the boys are are not a bunch of choir boys. Let's put it that way, okay. I mean, it's not unusual to find some of the guys down on an Eleventh Avenue bar in Lower Manhattan banging the crap out of each other. Now, the same thing can be said about major Major League ballplayers. They're a rowdy crowd, A lot of them, not all of them, but a lot of them. And Andre, on the other hand, Vince would would would throw these very elaborate parties for the employees of the w W. He and Lunda were very very good about showing their appreciation for their employees and I mean by the staff people that Bob McMullen's of the world, and you know, they on occasion, sometimes annually for a while there would throw a party at the Rainbow Room in New York, a very swanky place on the on the top of the city, many flights up, and they'd have this big swanky dinner in a ballroom with an MC and a band, a live band in an orchestra, and just like crazy stuff. And it was it was sort of like high society out of the nineteen thirties or something. It was really something that everybody would be dressed up and sometimes it was black tie, and you know, you really couldn't expect the boys to be into this stuff, but he'd could joel a few of the heavy hitters to show up, you know now and be part of the festivities. And Andre came to some of these, and but he had like this little private bar area at the Rainbow Room where they knew him, and they had a special goblet for him that was like ten or twelve inches across and fourteen inches high. I mean, this is like a wineglass on steroids. And he drank nothing but chitola feet the rothschild four hundred bucks or whatever a bottle. It took a bottle to fill the goblin, and he would have six or seven or eight goblets in the course of a night. I mean, Ziz Louise. Most people they're hard for used to drink a bottle of wine and stand up at the same time. Yeah, this guy was a big dude, and he had a capacity for alcohol make a tanker truck look lame. He just it was utterly amazing. But he was just very gentlemanly, very composed, very you know, he wasn't rude and boisterous. It just wasn't his thing. He actually owned a three star I mean like Michelman Star restaurant in Montreal.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: Hear this guy and it's just sort of fascinating. And you know, he played his character for all all he's worth. And you know, his role in The Princess Bride is is kind of you know enshrined in Hollywood lore at this point. He's just one of a kind in every way. But I just I'm not a big party person and at the time I was single. I met my wife after my time there, and you know, I would just bring a date to these things, or or I wouldn't necessarily I just hang out. I would just wind up and go in and sit next to Andre and shoot the ship with that.
Speaker 5: Speaking of that, I guess to be kind of tawdry about it. We asked about flatulence, and that's not a small part of Andre's legacy. He tended to leave his essence behind, didn't he, Brian.
Speaker 4: It's honestly not. There's that, Yeah, that's that whole side of things. But there was one time that Steve and I had to grab a photo shoot with Andre and it was just one of those classic fly by night you know, you've you've got no time, you've got no forewarning to get anything set up. He was available, you know, his driver had the car waiting. He had to get back to the airport to get to the gig. Kind of thing. You guys have have you know, an hour or two in between the have a photo shoot. Well, we don't even need that long, but you know, you have to set up a backdrop and lights and what have you. And Steve didn't have anybody being a roadie for him or anything, you know. I just helped him put his lights up. And basically we were in some rented space in Stamford that wasn't really formally a WWF office, but there wasn't. The place was just crammed whatever office space they had, it was just clerical stuff. We found a storeroom on a parking level under this building that was relatively empty enough. We found a couple outlets we could set up Steve's lights and power pack and everything for his camera, and set up a backdrop and do a quick and dirty photo shoot with Andrea for a few shots. This is for the magazine or something I can't even recall, but so Andre just you know, sitting on a stool. The stool's howling and pain. I'm joking, but you know, all of a sudden, Steve and I it's a sound like like a six foot wide water main, that's correct, and this gush of liquid like thousands of gallons pouring through it a hour or something, but there's nothing going on, and we're looking at for the sea. It's not coming from the ceil, and we're looking sideways, it's not coming sideways, What the hell? And then there's this banging, like like you're in a steel mill and and some guy's banging on the side of a caldron with a sledgehammer, like that's what the hell, and another just like me and I were like what, And that's his gut. That's like some crap going up, you know, he's hosting a steel convention or something in his stomach, and it's just I've never heard anything like that before or since in my life come out I kind of out of anything, never mind a human being. But this, this guy's gastric system was was like a cave full of steel smelting equipment or something. I mean, it was just bizarre, totally bizarre. And Steve and I were just like like speechless, like humans can't make sounds like that, right, And Andre is just like completely unfazed. He just had sort of like this sleepy look. I think he was like dog tired. He was just catnapping on cars and planes between gigs, and He's just like, oh, big deal, you know. But we were we were just fascinated I mean, you know, I wanted to. I wanted to you know, alert the Scientific Press or something and right investigation, you know, like you have six stomachs and they're made of steel or so. I don't know. It was just weird.
Speaker 1: Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and and j Bisaro, The Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast, something.
Speaker 5: Like being around these guys, Man, what unique career experiences U. But we touched on earlier the photo shoot for a lot of the photo shoots you did. I know you helped with the wrestling album Okay and this is big. We can all picture the cover of the wrestling album that out with in eighty six. I think it was with Grab Them Cakes and Real American and all kinds of the songs that they would use and associate. I think Tutti Fruity by Mean Gi is on their standback by Vince unbelievable. So tell us about I mean, that is just like a oh my god, that's like a tapestry.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 5: A just a whole scene of all these wrestlers faces. It's like a tableau almost of the era. So tell us about that one.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to tell you that was a process that took over a period of weeks, and for those familiar with it, it's a double album. But when you open it up, there's a recording moment the Hit Factory in New York, where you know everyone from Billy Joel to you name it, major stars. He recorded over time. Very very few of those people were in that room at the same time.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And in many instances people were elsewhere. And for example, when you look on the cover and Vince has his arm on Geno Glun's shoulder, you're they were shot against a backdrop and dropped in. They were shot elsewhere because they just were That was done at a show where they were Gene was a ring announcer and Vince was doing commentary and so forth. They were just shot and dropped in. As most of these people, everyone was a different wrestling events around the country. Whatever the ticket was, they weren't going to disturb the flow of events for wrestling fans. So whenever people were in New York for a show, or close by, say Poughkeepsie, New York, where a lot of taping used to be done, we'd send a driver and get him in town. So some of these people were actually shot in the studio room, and it was also done around the time that the studio was booked for different recordings, so it was a major feat to put this thing together. It took and this was all done on this side text machine, so I can't even begin to tell you how many hours went into creating this image. But a few of the wrestlers were actually shot in the room, but we had to map out where they were going to be and sort of roughly gauge where they would be, what their stance would be, what their proximity to the camera would be, so that when it was all put together electronically, which even now this day and age in photoshops, this would be a monster taking to try to do. But it was. It was utterly mind blowing the amount of time and resources that creating this image.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't believe that it was different places different I would have swore it was everyone in the same you know, under the same roof, because they shot that music video to play on We Are the World and everybody was there, so I thought they just did it it that thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean, I'm just to give you a really really really crazy just not go through the whole Blessed thing. But obviously because you know Jesse Ventura front and center on the cover and our old buddy Hollie right behind him holding the mic. You know, the Killer Bees, Randy Savage, you could pick out your your favorite you know, wrestler manager whoever throughout some of the some of the funnier things to me are the uh the gal on the trumpet at the far left, that was a makeup artist and an old girl of mine, old girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, wow, look out for that.
Speaker 4: She she made scary sounds come out of that trumpet. We asked her to stop, but to save her life. You go three people to the right and you see the gal with the Rickenbacker guitar. That's Cyndi Lauper, Oh wow, aka Mona Flambay.
Speaker 5: Mona Flambay, right, that was like a pseudonym wearing a.
Speaker 4: Wig, of course, and George the Animal Steel holding a soprano sacks upside down.
Speaker 5: But yes, of course, what was the reason for Mona Flambay? Was that kind of like she wanted to mask that she was on the album or something.
Speaker 4: You know, It was just it was it that wasn't really even thought out. She just thought it would be fun to be in there. Yeah, I mean, and yeah, it was. It was just such a crazy deal. Every aspect of this thing was was was was really really comical to me. And what's his name? One of the producers. I'm just going to the credits. I mean, there's so much stuff about this. I I I haven't looked at this in eons until just recently because I was starting to sort up my flat files I I have. I have tons of samples of things that I worked on in these flat.
Speaker 5: Files and very interesting.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. But what's what's his name? The well Well executive producers Dave wolf Well. That was Cindy's manager and then boyfriend. Yes, back in the air. Uh but but but Rick Rick Springfield, Okay, Rick Rick Springfield. He's the producer you know, screaming on the mic behind the control board at Rowdy Roddy. I mean, I was in love of that guy's work back you know, when I was a teen he did hang on Sloopy. I mean, so he was behind that band. I mean, it's just this is like a time machine looking at this because it h I mean, just because the Hit Factory is such a cool place and and sort of the home of of some phenomenal rock. I mean, it's it's just it's a little bit of musical history and and uh and a lot of w w F history. But the way that the way that album cover came together was was just a mountain of work, absolute mountain of work. But it was a fun project, you know, I don't I wouldn't call it one of the greatest pieces of music I ever put together, you know. Yeah, And I'm think they were aiming for that either. It was just a fun thing.
Speaker 5: They were just trying. They were just trying to catch the wave of licensing opportunities that came their way. We've talked about this endlessly over the years on the show. It's like action figure, shore board game, shore lunch boxes. We'll do it all. We don't care like someone's going to pay us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And I think it was it was it was you know, there was a little bit of Okay, we're wrestling stars. There's rock stars. Why can't we be wrestling and rock stars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with the rock and wrestling connection, it makes a ton of sense. All of a sudden, You've got people backstage at the shows in the garden who know how to put a record out yeah, exactly, wonderful. So mentioning WrestleMania. We've talked a lot about the preparation you did in designing the logo and the photo shoot with Hulk and Mister T and all of that, but you were on site as well, i'd imagine for the show, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you that was just a blur. There was a two page spread in Life magazine of a photo, a two page spread photo of the event of you know, the action in the ring during the I mean, in the two page spread, the the rings like two inches across. It's just it's just this massive people, the thousands of people that filled the gardens, and it's mostly in darkness because the spotlights are all on the stage, but you just see the sea of people out there and it's crazy. And I was looking around in it and it is I was trying to establish where I was. I remember where I was standing, you know, in respect to going back to the dressing rooms and so forth. And it's just a weird feeling to see that photo capture that whole moment and know that you were you were there. Yeah, it's hard, it's hard to explain, but I mean it was I mean it was so exhausting. I think every everybody, including Vince Helen it probably slept for twenty four hours solid or longer after everyone was just fried to a crisp.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: It was an incredibly exhausting undertaking. Well, but I'll tell you the most one of one of the most fascinating things I think about that whole thing, and it's sort of technical but not really, but every everything was the show going out to the public. I mean, obviously you had a full house of the garden that out alone was a big deal. But this this went to a million people around the country minimally, I think more and and and then and ultimately with video cassettes and stuff. It was it was seen over and over again by millions more. But the show almost didn't go on, as they say, due to a technical glitch.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, really tell me more?
Speaker 4: And well what in the build up to this thing, Vince was consulting people at ESPN and anyone who lives in Connecticut, you know when you drive by their headquarters they have this massive compound. You will see these gigantic satellite dishes of the slang term for them as birds, and you know you see them twelve fifteen feet across and sixty feet across, like something that's an antenna farm aimed at their researching outer space. I mean, they just they have gazillions of these birds end up at the sky their various satellites to take signals up and beat them down to cable networks all over the world. And ESPN was in its relative infancy then, but they were really aces at satellite technology. And it was suggested that Vince not get one bird or two birds, but three birds, so he had redundancy so that if the first two went down for any reason, and sometimes their meteorological conditions or weather conditions can mess with satellite signals, and so he decided to get six birds. And even Nelson, who's like Nelson Schwiegeler, was the un staffed TV hauncho who had been in the business and knew his way around, and he just ad vinced, it's overkilled. You don't need six birds. And these things weren't cheap either to rent. And these are big boys. These are big, big, like twenty five thirty foot dishes of mounted on the backs of trucks and they're all lined up outside of Madison Square Garden and lo and behold. Bird number one went down, Bird number two went down, and bird number three went down. Oh my god, foorth bird carried the show and ad Vince listened to you know, all the prodigal sons and the and the stock advice and you know the conservative Oh you don't need that, you need this. It wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have gone. It would have been a disaster, and people who'd prepaid for this, they'd want their money back. It could just could have been a financial whole bigger than Vesuvius. And you know, I think he, I think, for all his uh propensity for you know, doing things on a fly and crazy notions and doing things anesthetical to how there's quote unquote supposed to be done, he was sure enough to know that he couldn't risk not pulling the trigger on this all the way for one second and getting those six getting sick birth was was a big expensive undertaking. But it's safe day, and it's a it's a really interesting deal. You know, you don't think about stuff like that. The public would never know about it in a million years, But I think back on it, I think that that you know, it would have people would have just made jokes about the whole thing and say, yeah they did. They talked a big blue streak, and they didn't pull it off. It probably never would have happened again. And here it's happening over forty years later. It's an annual event, and it's worldwide now, and you just think of everything riding on that. I don't think Vincent his wildest imagination, thought it would get as big and as broad globally.
Speaker 2: As it has.
Speaker 4: But it all hinged, you know, the success in the momentum that took it where it is today, hinged on having it get out the door, up to the birds, down to doors without without any any kind of interruption, And it could have been quite the opposite, you know, but his foresight found a way around it, which I thought was fascinating. I give him credit for, you know, really really honestly to my way thinking. He is the father of on demand as we know it. People don't think of that. They don't equate pay per view with on demand. Is they're just two different names for virtually the same thing. And he pioneered it. They're actually people who explored it before him for boxing. But no, we are near on that scale. And I kind of take my hat off to the fact that as much as we bitch and moan about our cable bills, we wouldn't even have cabbills if he hadn't you know, pushed this when he did, And I mean, what it really did was spur the industry to realize the possibilities and start investing in it. Because to have what everyone has across the country in the way of channels and choices, no matter how much they complain about it at times, that took that probably more than a trillion dollars of investmental hold easily to get it where it's where it is today, in fiber optics, in satellite technology, you name it. And I'm not saying that WrestleMania is responsible for that, But what I'm saying is taking the chance to pioneer something that had never been done before, never mind on that scale, is what spurred people to think about the possibilities and go out there and actually do it and convince banks, big banks, huge banks to bankroll that kind of research and development and get it out and make it actually viable. Huge You know, you don't think of somebody like Vince McMahon having influenced and created the interest in a growth industry that was back then just people were like, what what are you talking about? Paper? What? Yeah, I mean this was so new and now and now we all come home from work, whatever we're doing, you know, we're at the gym, whatever, we throw on a sports game, whatever, it's second nature. We don't even think about it. We just make the choice and it's there. But it's all there. And the money was invested to make cable and streaming possible, spurred on by that event. It's think thing that you know, consider in that in that bigger framework.
Speaker 6: And you know, I want to say too and pay you a compliment of this, because you know, I think, in my opinion, the WrestleMania logo is no small part to the success of of of WrestleMania as well, given the fact that and I'm looking at it right here, outside of two WrestleMania's and well kind of three ish variation of your logo has been used ever since.
Speaker 4: Right the basic framework of it is still in use.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the main the main difference is the S. The S isn't The S is not uh uh does an attach to the R is? The main is like the main main difference. Other than that, it's like it's got the same basic design.
Speaker 4: Well, it comes and goes. Actually sometimes they put it back. I mean, it's it's a weird deal. But yeah, I've been sort of fascinated by the fact that it you know, I haven't been in control of the production of it since the first three years. Sure, but it is they you know. And what's kind of funny too, is they they brought me back. This this young gal that that graduated from Bridgeport University. Her name is w Sir Gallis, and she I hired her and she was green right out of quick study night, really nice young gal, and she became not not a creative director, but the head of the art department, sort of ad hoc because when I left there was she was really the next person. She was still in the process of learning on the job, but she took the mains and a few years later she called me back in the early nineties and she wanted me to kick around Well, I actually no, it's even later than that. It was, Yeah, it was she wanted to kick around ideas for WrestleMania two thousand. This is about a year in advance, and so they hired me to just you know, they didn't use one of my designs, but they hired me to just submit some concepts and I got far and away from my own original. It was kind of funny. I went off on some crazy tangents with it. Was like a Salvador DOLLI and I went whack up. I had some fun with it, and they didn't do it. I mean they I think they enjoyed them, but they just decided, let's just keep mutating the same basic character forms. And I think that was actually ultimately smart. I mean they, you know, they paid me for my concepts, and that that's fine. I wasn't. You can't have an ego about this stuff. Just the gig, you know, and so you if you're a baseball player, you win games, you lose games, you keep playing. So I didn't. I didn't take offense to it or anything. I just you know, but it was it was interesting. I had. I did have an opportunity to kind of you know, direct it a few years later, but but I'm really kind of glad they didn't go with one of those, because they just sort of kept the main theme and just kept tweaking it. So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 5: Brian We started off the conversation talking about your impressions of Dick Ebersol pulling up in the Porsche, and n Vince himself would drive some hot rods in his day, or at least cars that uh that zoom quite a bit. And I understand that you had a moment where Vince, I guess, was in a crunch and you got behind the wheel of Vince's automobile. Can you tell us that story quick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that wasn't That wasn't one of his really crazier cars. He had some custom made roadsters that were just outrageous. But this is this was before he got to that point. But yeah, this was as I recall, this would have been fall of eighty four or spring of eighty five. I can't recall honestly, but basically, there was a a pre show taping, just the promos, the build up where you know, the guys are shouting each other off the planet, that kind of thing, and Hulk had been at the office. Vince decided to ride down to the gardens with Hulk and his limo so they could chat up out some stuff. And he came off and he said, would you mind driving my car in town? You just leave it at the guards and I'll have a limo driver bring it, bring it back. And I said sure, and I got no big deal. And I had to drop something off in an ad agency that we were working with in Midtown and he had this Lincoln. He had this. I've never seen anything like it. It wasn't it wasn't a lime green. It wasn't dark British racing green. It was like this loud, like Irish spring, bright in your face, green, metallic and I I always draw at the time. I you know, a smaller car like my BMW, but you know, and I wasn't used to driving a car like this. This is a big, big, wide, long Lincoln. And uh it's okay. It was it was I thought would be fun. So I uh, I'm driving on the West Side Highway. If anybody knows, you know you're you're getting in and out of New York. There's there's basically two ways. You know, You're either on the east side or on the west side. I'm coming on the West Side Highway and he's got his headlights programmed to high beams keep people to get out of the way. I mean, the minute it sends, it's a car at a certain distance, it's beaming them and I'm feeling like, oh man, I must be one of those drivers that people hate, you know. And I'm trying to turn it off and I can't figure out how to turn it off, and people are all moving over in the middle way and I'm in the left lane and I'm like, okay, everyone thinks I'm obnoxious. I'm trying to not be obnoxious. And anyway, so it's it was just a weird, weird ordeal and totally different feel. I mean, it's plush. It's like driving a caddy or something that was weird. And so I had to go into Midtown and you know, the traffic in midtown Manhattan, I mean, forget it. You got the nerves of steel. And my wife jokes that, you know, I'm I'm a camel driver. She calls me, like, you know, typical uh, you know, yellow cab driver in the city's honking and running everyone off there. I said, that's how you drive. You're a camel driver. And I said, no, I'm not. But anyway, I mean I was driving in midtown that was not a problem and driving his car once I got used to it, and for some reason when I'm off the highway, it's not doing the high being things. Thank god for that, because I didn't want some guy to get out of his car and come back and you know, hit the glenshield with a wrench or something. So I do what I have to do. I dropped this thing out at this agency. I had to go in a car park, get out of the car park. And I'm in midtown Manhattan, and this is the era. And some people who have not lived in a city or may not even know what the term means, but this was the era of the squeegeye man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a sad commentary on society. But you know, we have a huge homeless population and it's only gotten worse tragically. But the more enterprising of some homeless people, if you could call it that, I call it piracy. But they would stand on a busy corner, get in people's faces, get in their way, in front of the car, even when there's a green light, and make a big deal of wanting to clean their windshield, or they just start cleaning their windshield without permission and demand payment, you know, a buck, five bucks, whatever. Some people really made it worse because they fed the situation and they were pussies about it, and they just succumbed, roll down the window and give the guy of five or ten or whatever then the wallet just to make him go away and don't don't even touch my winshell, just here's the money. Go away. And that made it worse. That made him come out of the woodwork like broaches. So you've got these squeegee guys all over the city, and some of them got really militant, like the guy that accosted me. So I'm pulling up to the Avenue of America's, which I think is also six stave. It's either six or seventh I can remember, but duel, Yeah, six Staves slash Avenue of America, same street, so's it's basically going northbound, only it's one way, and I'm stopped at a light in the fifties and the cross streets, and I'm going towards the west side to go downtown a little bit to drop the car off at the gardens for Vince. And this squeegeye man probably the most enterprising of the wall to put it that way. A light's out of nowhere and he's leaning over the front windshield and he has his spray cam with the cleaner and the squeegee gripped in one hand, and then the other hand he has a can of orange spray paint. You could see it all globbed up on the kno and he yells to me, what will it be? And I'm thinking to myself, I am so screwed. I'm gonna wind up driving into the gardens and all the personnel there are just gonna be laughing. Oh look here's Vince scar. That poor sucker's got a lot of explaining to do because there's a big, like, you know, spray painted orange blobble over the front or the hood or the wing shield or the door whatever. I'm thinking, I am so screwed. What am I gonna do? And this guy's just like like hovering there, Well will it be? And so I showed him what it is gonna be. I did something I've never done in my life and I'll never do again. I can't believe I did it. Then I just very gently opened the door and I could see the light it was. It went yellow, and then I said, okay, this is my chance. And the traffic down Avenue of Americas was light. I opened the door and I just bumped the guy and he fell backwards and the light.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, wow, in Vince's car opted and.
Speaker 4: See me, I'm praying somebody wouldn't come, you know, trying to make the light from the other direction and broadside me. I'm just like, none of that matters. I'm not going to explain this to Vince and why his beloved Lincoln his.
Speaker 2: Orange of course, yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: And oh my god, that was the worst day in Manhattan I think I've ever had. And I've had some doozies, but that was scary.
Speaker 5: Wow. That's uh, that's being an enlisted soldier for more than you signed up for. But that's that's kind of the world you joined, and especially back then when you went to work for Vince. I mean, he's you know, it's whatever gets to be done at this moment. And it kind of brings us to where we need to end up here, Brian, because you've made a couple of references to the end of your tenure. You know, it's basically eighty four to eighty seven, and let's conclude with why you decided to leave the WWF.
Speaker 4: Why and when, Well, it's kind of multifaceted. But you know, it's funny. I had a lot going on and that job was all consuming, but even so I kept my other accounts on the side that i'd had. I was still working with Infinity and Howard Stern and I somehow, I mean, I was a workaholic, so I never really drew the line between the two. But as long as the WWF deadlines were done, I was back on my own accounts, which was mostly broadcasting related, and I just thought, you know, there there were a couple of things going on that I just I don't know, not to be overly moral about it, but you know, you remember the foam hand, the big the Indix finger up experimented for a while with that with a foam hand that's flipping it off. And I saw a show, you know, these little kids, seven eight year old kids. Daddy gave me a foam hand. I mean, bad taste as a parent. You buy one of those flip off hands and your kids wearing it, and it just it really galled me because that was stopping being family entertainment. I just was a departure from the norm. They didn't need. It just kind of bugged me and I don't know that that had Vince's stamp of approval on it at all. That's not what I'm saying. But there was a loose about it, and there was some other things. I don't really want to go in a great detail really at all, but I mean there there was. They're not not across the boards by any stretch of the imagination, but there were instances of some substance abuse.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well eighty seven is when they instituted the cocaine testing because Iron Cheek and Joe Duggan got caught in that traffic stop. So this is kind of the beginning of them, you know, realizing that we actually have to monitor this aspect of of what we do here.
Speaker 4: But you know, I just I I had essentially always worked for myself. I was We'd worked out a deal where I was a contract worker. I was not considered an employee. I didn't I didn't have taxes withdrawn. I was still self employed. I was. I was just base a consultant, and even though I was really working full time, so I was free to do what I wanted. I didn't have an employment contract that I would be violating. I just missed being my own man. I mean, even though technically I was, but I was married at that place. It was all consuming and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I just yeah, I just had a kind of wanderlust that I knew. Infinity was going a mile a minute and eventually became part of it was actually the bigger part of CBS Radio when CBS acquired them, and then they were swallowed by Viacoms. It was CBS slash Infinity slash Viacom, and thankfully I was invited along for the ride. I kept working for those companies and that was huge, and that was and along the way after that, I designed the style guide for Sonic, the Hedgehog and the Buckles and that that that. So I've had a big hand in the gaming world with that stuff. And that never would have happened if I hadn't freedom my time, and I just decided, you know, it's time to move on. And I had some differences with Vince. You know, he's a funny guy. He would sometimes he would just put you on the spot and say something that was a little derogatory or you know, he had sort of juvenile humor side to it. Sometimes he was usually okay, but sometimes he would just make a dig or totally uncalled for a comment, to just see how you react, and really pushed my button one time. I just wanted to just say shove it and walk out the door. But when you have a four hundred pound custom made drawing board you walk out the door and a ton of computer equipment. So I said, yeah, I just I bit my lip. But then I decided a couple of weeks later, I said, you know, it's always risky. I'm not gonna I'm not going to have the cushy guarantee that I that I have what they're paying me here, but I'm going to take a flyer and go back on my own. And I did, all right. I worked my tail off, and that's been my nature all along. But I went back out on my own, and all kinds of things happened. This stuff I just mentioned, and some other opportunities I wouldn't have got if I if I had been breathing that, you know, twenty four to seven, living and breathing it the way I had been for four years. And I enjoyed it. And Vince was very upset. He was just, oh boy, you know, he he hires you for life. That's that's uh. You know, he really wants to feel that, you know, you've joined a family, and I did feel that bond and I respected it. But I'm just I just had the drive to want to go back and be you know, you know, responsible for my own everything. And Linda was very, very gracious, very She's a great lady, very professional, and no hard feelings there. And she actually soon thereafter I got married, she invited my wife and I down for a party they gave. They built this phenomenally. I mean, it was just you can't even call it in the state. It was like a country club that was turned into a house. It was just amazing, and they invited us down to this party and it was like a black tie thing. It was a big deal. And Vince just he kind of glanced my way. You know, we never spoke. I just think he just never let me off the hook. He couldn't forgive the fact that I wanted to do my own thing again. And it's unfortunate, but you know, I stayed friends with everyone there. I made some wonderful friends there, and life goes on. You know, you can't win them all, but.
Speaker 5: So well, I think what's fascinating about your vantage point, Brian, is that you came to work for them when they were or at least you became acquainted with them when they were fledgling in the Cape, right and just trying to see if they could make something of themselves. And then on the other side, you leave no less than you know, ten years after you first met them. And this Vince is just he's in a position to command lifelong loyalty, or at least in his mind he is, from his employees. So you must have left a slightly different Vince than you met having those cocktails in the seventies.
Speaker 4: You know. Interestingly, Vince had had a tough relationship with his dad. They were I think close in a blood way, but they didn't see eye to eye about business. And Vince really thought his dad was weed to the old world as far as wrestling goes, and he stayed away from it for a while. He went into construction. He had a construction company and it failed, not once, not twice, but he had to, you know, file a third time because the business just didn't work out.
Speaker 5: That came up during Linda's Senate campaign that she had bankruptcies in the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Linda put her foot down and she said, look, I know you want to be creative. Construction isn't your thing. Go to your dad, work with your dad, work it out, take a hand. And she didn't say take it over. But that's what he wound up doing very effectively, of course, and he worked things out and he, you know, his vision for things like WrestleMania was sort of the manifest destiny that he's offered the whole thing from the very outset, and his dad wasn't easily giving up reins. His father was all about the small venues down south, the beer halls, the classic old you know in the shadows, wrestling, the guys, gigging themselves, the whole bit. And Vince just said, it's a bigger world than that and we can take advantage of it. And his dad just didn't quite see it the way Vince did. And Linda, very brilliantly, I think is the reason that Vince succeeded so well, because she just said, don't ever sign another check. That's where we got in trouble. Leave the books to me. I will take care of the books. She hired Bob McMullen, and everything changed, Everything changed, and She really really strategized the the you know, the greedy details of the business details. Not Vince. He had the creative hand, he had the eye for what would work creatively, and I give them credit for that, but what really put things to the test and made them work financially was Linda's oversight. So in that sense, they're a great pairing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's great color. And we can sort of see the evolution of Vince through while a brief tenure in terms of working for them, relatively speaking, I'm sure it felt like a lifetime. But before that, even knowing them before, they had become these impresarios, Vince in particular, it's just such a great and rare perspective to find. So it sounds like you've been busy, Brian, Just tell our listeners before we part here, what else you've been up to lately?
Speaker 4: Well, haven't I been up to? Later?
Speaker 5: Yeah, narrowed down as much as you sy fit.
Speaker 4: You know, way back in the seventies when I started in graphic design, I had my eye back then on music, and music was was really what I care about and love intensely, and I've never really had meaningful successful that I used to sing voiceovers for McDonald's The Back of my I met a few major artists along the way. You have been very helpful to me. I left that alone for a long time, and you know, so workwise these days, I'm still doing logos. I do a lot of web development, but I'm back recording songs of my own composition, music and lyrics. And for anyone who's a music fan wants to check them out, just go to my name Brianpenry dot com and that's my music. So I work with a company based in London that specializes in sync licensing, which is music for TV and film, and they're representing me to companies like Netflix and HBO to create soundtracks and theme music for for shows and that that's what I'm I'm trying to do and nothing's really resulted of any mentioned. Yeah, that's that's meaningful in terms of the kind of stuff I worked on graphically, but I'm but I'm trying excellent. So yeah, that's what life's all about now. And I raised two wonderful kids who are I can't call them kids anymore. There the early thirties and I just it's like, wow, I still think of them when they were old tadpoles and I just left it YEF so life's good, life is good.
Speaker 5: Trying to make an imprint and some other verticals, but he definitely left his imprint on wrestling by virtue of the time he came along with the WWF. So it's been a pleasure to welcome Brian penry On, the designer of the WWF logo that we all cherish, the WrestleMania logo, and as we talked about, so many more touch points. You do want to be reminded that Brian will be in attendance at the Connecticut gamer Con coming up at the Mohegan Sun Casino on Saturday and Sunday, March fifteenth and sixteenth. Find his own booth in the artist's alley. He'll have signed and numbered limited edition prints of the original WrestleMania logo. Very cool.
Speaker 4: I'd like to thank you gentlemen for having me on. I'd like to thank all your listeners for being patient through this long, never ending diet tribe.
Speaker 5: I've been sure, well, it's it's the full dump. That's that's where that's where we come in.
Speaker 4: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thank you, well, thank you so much. Brian, what is a production of the LAP Entertainment Group.
Speaker 2: Its content is intended for reven use only really
Speaker 5: Want